Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 4: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 4: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach, one more question.
Speaker 1: Play the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or claim.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back.
Speaker 5: So we have a very special addition today, very special guests, very special topics. It's just very special all the way around. So all right, we're gonna get this started. But before we get it started, first we gotta give a shout out to the d All did you know that we was number two in d off a business podcast.
Speaker 4: I did not know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have a very strong following at the some of our best guests, Lord of the Slump Man, Fernando.
Speaker 3: Shoza, shout out to Caesar and shout.
Speaker 5: To everybody in Dykeman. Yeah, it's like a second home five. They show us so much love out there.
Speaker 2: It was the first place when we stepped out the car, somebody was like, yo, Troy was shot and we were like, oh, they know it's out here.
Speaker 3: Ye shots.
Speaker 5: Shout out at the tournament, specifically, shout out to Miguel Chris Kenny, Mikeylo, keV and shout out to Katrina Castro. She's a huge actress in Don She's a big fan of the podcast too. So the reason why I say that is that our guest and letting John Henry is uh, you're Dominican, right, one hundred percent right?
Speaker 4: Yes, I am from the Heights, from Heights as well. That's pretty much to making republics for those who don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so if you don't know, John gave you a brief introduction. He's the man, the myth, the legend. Yeah Forbes thirty on the thirties. Whole team actually made that. I just I just realized that he sold his first company when he was twenty one, four million dollars. He started co Fund Harlem. He owned seventeen apartment in two buildings in Pennsylvania and he has a venture capital firm. This is something I'm really interesting. He has a venture capital firm. And he's twenty six, twenty six, twenty six years old, twenty six years old, So that's a lot.
Speaker 3: Lot, that's a lot.
Speaker 5: So yes, can we get your story because it's I did some reading and it's it's crazy. So you started at eighteen, you were dormant, right.
Speaker 4: That is correct?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: So first off, just shout out to you guys. Man.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I appreciate you. Appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Of course behind the camera too, never forget behind the can for sure. Because we've been making we've been wanting to pop off for a minute, and I've been getting tagged on your guys, and not only just tag but DM and like people.
Speaker 2: We gotta I think we're gonna call him the earners, like every Yeah, we're gonna call them the earners.
Speaker 4: I've been looking for a little thing like that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go. Shout out to my man Kennon in Detroit. He was like, Yo, Troy, you gotta call him the earners. So when the earners come to your page, yep, they come with.
Speaker 4: A man and and then I had a homegirl who was like yo, and put you guys in touch, and we ended up in touch. So I'm glad. I'm glad this went down. So yeah, So there's that because I know it's not it's not easy to build a community, and you got to stay very consistent, and it's very difficult to remain consistent, whether it's original content and or curation. Like your guys, curation is a very specific point of view. So as a fellow content creator, I don't take that for granted. So thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt So yeah, man, I mean my story is what it is that's out there as well documented and all that's just true. You know, just like kid from the Heights, you know, grew up in a very poor family. We grew up below the poverty line, so Dominican immigrants to Dominican immigrants. So both my parents combined didn't make thirty thousand a year. And there were six so I'm the youngest of four. So it's four kids plus two parents, six of us, you know, living just like pretty much everyone else in the Heights of New York in the nineties in a little one bedroom apartment and my pops put up a little fake wall to make everybody know that curtain. And so my sister had a full bed, my oldest brother had the top bunk, and I actually split the bottom bunk with my brother closest to me in age. So it's not even like we had a bunk bed. We split the bottom bunk. It's not like a goal, which, like I guess these days sounds like, oh my god, you know, but it's just is what it is. And yeah, man, that was just a formative DNA. I think one big blessing that I had was grown up in a two parent household, despite you know, a lot of adverse New York in the nineties, just very crazy, a lot of shit popping off. I had an oldest brother whom was of age when when my parents moved to the States, so he was, you know, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, so you know, my parents. I feel like, like Kendrick, like good kid, mad City, definitely mad City. But my mom's who was who was already like dealing with the effects of watching after my oldest siblings, like made sure that you know, we were busy or some ship you know, or stayed and we only you know, we could play just in the lobby, you know when we were and uh yeah. So anyway, so that was the early DNA man and then you know, I moved to We moved to Florida after nine to eleven. Also one thing that I don't talk about that often, but there we we there was an arm burglary in our home. Complete mistake, you know, but some casts like broke into our crib and you know, there were eight guys that were all armed, tied us all up except for me because they didn't expect two people to be in the bottom bunk and I was. It was crazy kind of stuff. And just like that couple with nine eleven, my folks were like, yeah, we're not gonna do this. So we moved to Florida, spent some time there. My mom worked as a custodian in an affluentighborhood. And so one of the perks that you get is that your kids can go to that school district, whether or not you live in that neighborhood. And so that was a very big blessing because it's like a children horse got to go to this schools, specifically high school where it's just a lot of affluent kids and for the first time we were like we were broke alone, Like I was the only broke kid. It's one thing when everyone's broke is one. There's another thing when like your friends have enormous homes and getting whips at age of sixteen and all this kind of stuff. So that kind of put a chip on my shoulder in an interesting way. And I guess, just to speed it up, I actually fell in love with music. At that point in time. I was damn near rosta. I had grown out.
Speaker 3: Of my locks choice making.
Speaker 4: That's a fact. Oh really, you know, spunked a little too much, weak, was tied down my own shirts and shiit picked up the guitar. Oh, just like roots, like real real roots, like Barrington Levy he was in Trench. Yeah, Ziggy's okay, like Damian Moore, you know Bob as well, Steel Polse like roots roots. I actually joined a roots reggae band. It was a whole Rosster Farign family. It was a whole, the whole thing. But I pursued. I fell in love with the instrument, and then through reggae, discovered blues and reggae, which I love. It's but it's very static as a music. It's boommmment and it sits in the pocket. And then I discovered blues, it progresses a little more, and then I discovered jazz. And at that point I cut my hair and I was like, I was playing eight hours a day every day. No, it was not like a casual thing. I was very committed to the music, and I actually moved back to the city to pursue music. I wanted scholarship. I came here for that. And then you know, coming back to the city as a young adult and all the stimuli that you have and all the drive you could really apply towards anything. And so I got a job as a doorman and that kind of started off my whole business. Dren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the doorman situation, you said that a lot of residents, wealthy residents will come in and out and you decided that, hey, this is a chance here, and one of them changed your.
Speaker 4: Trajectory forever, forever. That's exactly right. The special thing about living in a big city is the proximity. There's a lot of power in proximity and like you just you know, being exposed to different life paths and that can come in the form of anything. For me, happened to come in the form of working the desk and just seeing I first at Dormant on Wall Street, seventy five Wall Street, which is a residential building, and like I got exposed to you know, trum, like the most affluent people in the country, but that never felt attainable to me because it was like, oh, white money. I then later got the chance to Dormant in Brooklyn, and who was there in that building A lot of different people with a lot of different life paths. For instance, some folks that come to mind, notable people. The founders are rap genius, y genius, crazy, like few white boys, like oh what you know them pastor Carl Lentz, mega pastor of Hillsong, mega pastor now like globally known. There were directors. There was the founder of Voxy, this cool startup, Christina Ricci, this actress. I mean, there was this guy named Ivan Green, a professional rock climber, professional dating coaches, I mean, every kind of career you can think of. Yeah, like some of us got paid thirty g's per client to show losers how to pick up girls. And so yeah, at some point, you know that kind of sustained proximity showed me that you can make a living doing exactly what.
Speaker 2: So like as people are coming in, you're just having casual conversation and we're just passing it like this.
Speaker 4: Guy, I like this kid, Yeah for sure, just being interested, you know, like you know, there were dormant who had been there for years, who were sleeping on you know, the power of now.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm glad we having this conversation because it's something that a lot of times people take for granted the power of networking. And like, speaking of Florida, I used to play basketball, so I went to IMG Academy. I don't know if you're in the sports, but it's a real big sports academy in Florida. And one of my biggest regrets is that when I was there, like literally it was so many people that was there, like John McEnroe's son, Maria Sharup over like all these different kids, and it's like every like a lot of these people came from very wealthy families or they they did extremely good things. And I was kind of like just in my vibe just you know, sheltered off just people. I played basketball, but I wish that I would have. It was right in my fingertips, right, And it's like a lot of times people don't fully understand like you were in the building and you networked. You wasn't like their peers, but that didn't stop you from actually networking making relationships.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I just you know, want to bring a little color to the word networking because that, to me, it's got to up fake connotation of like networking, like you're looking for something out of someone. And that was just never my whole that was never my thing. I was never like, yo, I'm going to meet with this resident, because it was just like I'm just interested in you as a person.
Speaker 2: You become part of their daily life, Like I see you every day.
Speaker 4: For sure, right, Like we have kids, just like.
Speaker 2: You've watched their kids grow, you watch them get a pet, you watch all these things happen.
Speaker 4: And there's something special about when you connect with someone with no expectations in mind, and like that's what builds to me, builds real depth and allows you to transcend beyond the networking bucket and then you develop a real relationship. And I'm still friends, actual friends with a lot of these people. Man. And it's crazy, because you're right, we weren't peers at that time, some you know, and allow a lot of us are peers for real, and it's just they still look at me and like, damn, that's crazy because the door for me.
Speaker 3: Sorry, So how'd you get the cleaning business? Though?
Speaker 4: All right? So the cleaning business? And I'll run through this quick because this is well dot com and I suspect that maybe some of the folks listen might have heard this bit of this. But yeah, man, there was one resident in particular. His name is Hugo. Shout out to Hugo. Love him like a brother, and yeah, he comes from from where I come from, you know, different neighborhood, Brooklyn, but you know, just from being poor. And he was like, Yo, what fuck you doing? Bro? Like like you know, at that time, so I was making fourteen dollars an hour and I was in a suit and in an ac and like that in and of itself, you know, my my pops was paid forty cents a garment, you know, so like damn your sweatshot conditions and so like there was a notable step up. And it was enough for me to I may maybe nine hundred bucks every two weeks. So it's enough for me to help the family out. But like he just quickly let me know, man, you don't got to set up for being a dormant. You could have your own dormant, you know. And he saw my earnestness, so he put me up to something. And there were actually a number of residents who were trying to put me onto different hustles. But eventually you got to find a vehicle that feels right for you. You know. Some lady tried to put me onto editing videos, making five hundred bucks of video. Like if that was in my DNA, I could have done that, right, But I ended up resonating with this approach. Hugo, who had a franchise a dry cleaner. He has like maybe he had like at that time, you know, dozens of dry cleaners. And what I didn't know is that the facility is the most expensive part. And then most of the dry cleaners that you guys go to are actual their drop shops.
Speaker 5: So let's talk about that, because I know you've probably told this story before, but on Eyo, we like get deep into So these are kind of businesses that you see you use every day. But I've never heard anybody explain the business model of how dry cleaner makes money. So you had a successful dry cleaning business. You don't even have a business background. That's interesting as well. How do you know how to run a business and how do you like, how is that Profitablecause at one point you say he was making like a hundred like, well the revenue was one hundred thousand a month.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, how is that possible?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So you don't you don't need a business background. You just you just gotta be you gotta be able to make a transaction happen. And that's really at the essence of the business of any business is transactions and people. And so if you know, a lot of people don't get off the ground because the weight of their expectations crushes, you know, the seed of the thing. Because you place all these experts, you know, I need this shit to be a full blown business. Now, motherfucker, you don't like make a sale, you know what you know? And so Hugo showed me.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: So this is the way the dry cleaning model works. Is like there's a facility and that is the expensive part because these machines cost a lot of money, and dry cleaning uses something called perk, which your clothes do get wet, so dry cleaning is like a false pretense, but it gets wet with a solvent chemical of sorts solution called perk, and so anyway, that stuff has to be handled in a very specific way and whatever. So the facilities are typically expensive. However, most dry cleaners that people interface with are actual what they call drop shops. So this is a small retail facility, you know, like might be four five hundred square feet where customers go and it's typically in a residential neighborhood, and customers go and they drop off their garments. Like if you know, if I were to drop this off, this blazer would cost me like nine bucks and my parents and whatever. And then what those retail shops do is they actually outsource them to the facility and then you typically pay on a per piece basis. So for me, Hugo gave me wholesale pricing without me having wholesale volume, i e. This blazer as a regular customer would cost maybe nine dollars to dry clean. Hugo was doing it for me for two bucks. That's a great margin.
Speaker 2: Now, did you have a facility or are you doing well?
Speaker 4: So Hugo did so Hugo was like, yo, I can't really help you out and that much, but I can give you access to a facility. I was like, perfect, that's all I need. So my job that's why it was like there was no silver spoon or anything. My job was. He was like, all right, bet you have that. Oh think something happened. That's it. Yeah, see you later. So then, you know, I took the same suit that I was doormanning in and made some cheap business cards and some fucking flyers and I called the Giant Ree cleaners. It was not that original, you know, And I just went to I was walking around Harlem and just knocking on doors literally and getting to knownother doorman and saying, yo, I know you're the key to the building because I'm a doorman too, and like getting them to refer their residence to me anytime they had an issue or whatever, and I would break them off on the low. And I remember when I got my first call from a lady, you know. And I actually had gone to AT and T and paid them two hundred bucks to get a two one two cell phone number, so they thought they were calling in a real shop. And I was having lunch with my parents and I stepped out. She was like, hi, yeah. I was like yes. She was like, I like to place an order. I was like all right, cool. Yeah. She gave me her dress. I took the subway. I had no whip, but at the time took the subway.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: She opened the door and I was expecting, you know, I don't know what I was expecting, like to be grilled or something. And she she didn't even know I was on Henry. She just always a delivery guy. She's like, well, here you go.
Speaker 2: So it's like an on demand service.
Speaker 4: Yep, she called.
Speaker 3: I went.
Speaker 4: I picked it up. I took it to the facility where hego was at. Yeah, on foot via train. He cleaned it. The next day. I went back to Bushwick where he was grabbed. It, went all the way up to Harlem, delivered it. And then when I delivered it, she gave me seventeen bucks. And like, yes, I traveled three or four hours total to make seventeen dollars. But those seventeen dollars changed my life because it was seventeen dollars from my own system, and one dollar from your own system is worth a thousand dollars from another man's that's powerful.
Speaker 5: And also, you know I like that story is that it's a lot of creativity in that. If you want you watched Casino, No what you gotta watch what Casino? Sam Rosstein? Who do you say the most important people in Vegas was.
Speaker 4: Troy to Do?
Speaker 3: Nope, the the people at the table, the valet parkers.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, they know everybody know everybody.
Speaker 3: I like the average person.
Speaker 5: If I'm starting to clean a business, I'm going door to door, Like, but think how much you went to the dormant because they know everybody. You was already a dormant yourself, so instead of having a knock on you probably couldn't get in the building anyway. But instead of trying to knock on three hundred doors and people was like who are you? You just you cut the middleman out. You went straight to the person that speaks to everybody on.
Speaker 3: A day to day basis exactly.
Speaker 5: You gave them an a sentive because you get them some money for every person they preferred. It's actually a brilliant system. See things like that is like who thinks about stuff like that?
Speaker 4: I mean you're in the industry, so you know, yeah, right, And I can't. I can't take it for having some brilliant idea. To your point, it was really just that's what I knew, and so like like some people hear this and want to replicate my path, But that was just what I knew. So what do you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we got to give you credit though, right, because there are four hundred to one thousand people who were doing the same job who didn't have that.
Speaker 4: Sure, you see what I'm saying. Sure, so I'll take credit for having the drive, right, but I can't take credit for having some kind of brilliance. It was just like, you know, the connection with the doorman ran deeper than the incentive because at some point you stop even breaking them off. They do it because they talk like that and like that. Man. People underestimate this shit. Man like business is a lot more the art of connecting with people than it is the art of making numbers. Later, the numbers you know you'll yield. You'll make some money as a result of connecting with people, in my opinion.
Speaker 3: So you you skilled it to one hundred thousand a month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we grew, man, we were then. There was no way we would get to that volume just doing little individual residents. There was another resident of the build that same building. I was planning a quip. You know, I was waiting for December twenty fifth, you know, Christmas. I was the building's favorite. So I was maybe gonna make like four or five g's and that was enough. Man. I was going to quit and get all my ship. And I actually got fired because you know, entrepreneurs don't make good employees. At that point, they were hitting me with conflict of interests. You know, they were like, yo, he's trying to convert residence to customers. You know that wasn't true. But like you know, when they want to give you the can like they oh, they'll definitely find a way. So they found a way and they fired me in December. So I was really distraught. Man. I thought that my ship was over. And then I got a call from a seed that I've been planting for a minute. It was you know, one of this resident introduced me to the film industry wardrobe supervisor for The Wolf of Wall Street, which did end up becoming the first movie I ever did.
Speaker 2: You did the so you became the cleaning service for all the wardrobe for the film.
Speaker 4: If you've ever seen the World Wall Street, every single piece of wardrobe from the principal actor Leonardo, to the extras in the Stockbruker scenes, like all that shit is money. And one thing people don't know is at production companies, they actually for the most part rent garments unless they are very specific pieces and they're they're custom. For the most part, they're rented. And the cool thing about when they're rented is that they have to return the garments dry cleaned, and so they you know, at this point, the dry clean industry didn't have anyone that was willing to go and picture it up at three in the morning. And so when a multimillion dollar production has no choice but to go with an eighteen year old kid who dropped out of college and had no business experience, that tells you they have an actual need. Yeah, you know. So we met and like, I didn't get the business right away. Months passed and then he called me. He was like, yo, you're in luck because I got no other option. You know. He's like, you want to come the ship and I was like yeah, And I actually went to pick up my first load of laundry. When you're in the laundry business and you see big sacks a laundry. You don't see sacks of clothes. You see giant money bags. Literally, like I'm just like, oh my god. There was like maybe five or six big ass bags, and and I didn't have a whip man. And they were like, yo, you want to sell? They were like, yo, you want us to help you carry this ouse? Like no, no, no no. I got the band right around the corner, and I actually brought the sack one by one and left them around the corner. And then when I was sure they wasn't looking, I went and I lugged them up the a train to my put them on the train. I put them on the train, all six. So so when you watch street, all them ships were dragged through the uptown train.
Speaker 3: A train is the worst.
Speaker 2: Literally, just just just curious bags. Bro, what what what type of revenue comes from that type of cleaning?
Speaker 4: So I must I must have made on that order something like uh maybe two g or something like that. And then the margin works out to you net like damn near seventy or sixty five percent because you pay on a perpose basis and all this other stuff. But the point is here, I was making nine hundred bucks every two weeks and I just made two g's in an order. Now, not every order. I knew at that point not every order was going to be two g's. But you know in theory that if you can hit that, then you can hit it again, and so like that was a point with which like I kind of broke. I mean, really, the seventeen dollars order was what let me know, Okay, it's the measure of your effort, but that one let me know, all right, there's some real money to be made. And then long story short, we did a great job with that. I did not bring that one to Hugo, respectfully. I actually brought it to my father, whom I mentioned was a presser growing up. And that's how you put us through. And it makes me cry sometimes when I think about it, man, because you know, I was embarrassed about my father's profession growing up, and that is the same thing that ended up. I was able to bring it. And my father's actually a master presser. He's not like an like, he's a master presser. Highly saw it out and he pressed these garments very beautifully. I brought him back and then David Davenport, he gave me what's called the rap, which is the final order of the entire movie, when they clean every garment. And he said, Yo, bring a truck. And I went upstate and I brought an suv and he was like, John, bring a truck. And I came back with a truck and he opened up the fucking enormous garage door and there was sacks of laundry maybe fifteen or twenty feet high, literally every garment in the entire production. And when I was looking at that, all I saw again it was just giant money rags. Yeah, and that order, I think we made twelve to fifteen thousand, and that was enough for me to buy my first whip and just kind of keep the motion going because after that he was like, Yo, there's a new account town. If you get them, you're gonna be okay. For a long time. That was Borwalk, and then after that Law and Order, A Person Adventures, White Collar, Made a Spider Man two, Ninja Turtle, Spike Lee, Mike Tyson, Barclay Center.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But let me ask you this, because you all right, you sold it for a million dollars, and I heard you said that you sold it because you wasn't passionate, but My thing is, you got a nice thing going, you're making a lot of money. If you're not passionate, why not just have somebody else run it and just do something else.
Speaker 4: Because it's not it's not really that simple. I don't believe in that. In that, I don't believe in that. I believe that you're either running things with a tremendous energy and looking to grow, or you're slowly declining and now you can have a system in place that makes a decline very gradual so you can cash out a lot over time. But I really think it's a myth that you can have this you know business kind of on. You know, you can have a little small business kind of on that you've set up and you have you deploy a manager. But that was not the way that my business was set up. My business was very high touch, specifically with the film industry, very high touch clientele. It is not a hands off like it's a job we need you at three like it's incredibly intense and the only person who would deal with that shit is the owner.
Speaker 2: And so how many staff did you have at the peak, fifteen fifteen people?
Speaker 4: You know, we had a creative director. I was very creative with my hir and I had a branding guy, I know what cleaners do? You guys know that as a full time branding person, and he taught me I credit to omesh personage from the Bronx Indian guy. He taught me my initial appreciation for font, font typography, spacing, brand touch points, you know with the product. And so anyway, yeah, I sold that shit. Man. I sold it because it was a headache and frankly, the macro environment was not one that I wanted to I didn't want to be in this business anymore because I saw a very bleak future for the business. Because that was twenty fourteen, which is when I sold the December third, twenty fourteen. That was the time when it was not clear if it would be Uber or lyft. I don't know if you guys remember those days, but it was all about the Uber for everything. It was Uber for this Uber for that funding funding fun and I was like, damn, I'm just looking at the picture and I was already going toe to toe with these people and I'm like, damn, I just don't see this fair and well like it just it's clear to me that people are subsidizing their operations with ridiculous amounts of venture capital. At that point, I didn't have confidence in my ability to raise venture capital. And you know, I was like, dude, I got some decent that I built. Someone's willing to pay for it. Let me just sell the shit million dollars. And I could. That was a gross that was not the net ticket price. But that was like to me, the power of narrative and the power of confidence, and like, I started something in my own mind. I started this shit at the desk with my own mind, put some brand behind it, bells and whistles, whatever the fuck you want to call it, grew it, and a more experienced competitor and businessman whom I mean, this guy was really one of the smartest guys I know, a Mexican guy math. He was a mathematician by trade, and he saw value in it, and I sold it man, and at twenty one, at twenty one, yes, sir.
Speaker 5: So all right, you just talked about VC. So this is gonna bring us to our next time. We're gonna talk about a bench of capital. That's what you're doing now. And this is something that I'm really interested in because we haven't really covered this in depth at all. So he were gonna talk about that next, all right, So now we're gonna talk about VC. So we talked about vcs before. Previously we had an x NFL play shout out to Mike Brown and he's doing equity crowdfunding and he went to Duke. He used to work in Silicon Valley, so he's Silicon Valley and we know. So yeah, he told us about the whole VC process and all that. But like I said, one of the good things about Ernie Lisia is that it's kind of turned into like a college course in sorts where it's like, you know, a lot of these things you hear about, but nobody really knows the inner workings of it. And from his perspective, he told us to the outside end, but you actually have a VC firm. Yes, so this is we're just getting the apple sauce from the apple orchard. Yes, So this is dope. So all right, how did all right, so we gotta tell a story on this.
Speaker 3: How did you? How did you come into the venture capital world?
Speaker 4: Okay, so after I sold my business, I at that time was very passionate about building some kind of startup community in Harlem. So I did that, and it initially started as like a little meetup that we call co found Harlem, and it just kind of turned into you know, at that point, because I sold the business, I had a lot more bandwidth and creativity and runway, and I wanted to make some shit happen. So we added a little business model behind it. It was not a great one, but it turned into incubator of sorts. I convinced a developer to g me space for free. By the way, this is a thing you can I learned. I learned a lot to co Found Harlem because it was a non for profit that focused on economic development, so improve in the area. And so that that got me to interface with politics.
Speaker 5: So cupful because people might not be familiar. Co Found Harlem was an initiative that you started to help small businesses in Harlem get capital right.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was the first incubator in Harlem, and so that kind of project I stepped up a little bit in my thinking. I got a little bit more macro because I was going from just operating a business. Now I'm helping other people operate. So I'm interfacing with politics because I discovered, oh shit, politicians care about the area. Getting better, but more important than politicians. Politicians have power, but real estate developers have a very long term interest in the area. I discovered longer term than politicians because politics are just like looking for the quick election. Yeah, these members are here forty fifty years. And so I pitched a developer to give me free space. And you know, it was a very bold thing, and it was like why would I do that. I was like, well, because I'm gonna incubate businesses and the only thing I'm going to ask for them is that they stay in Harlem. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the things you said, right, that the businesses had to put their headquarters in Harlem.
Speaker 4: Yes, for four years. It ended up. It started as four, I ended up being two, okay, and so anyway, so yeah, so we were able to get free space because they were like, all right, bet, like, we want the value of our proper our main business residence is to go up. So they had some retail that was opened, so our bet cool take that. So yeah, so we got the space, we got mentors, we made a little bit of buzz, we got companies applying. All of a sudden, I'm running an incubator. It's a non for profit incubator. I'm raising money through grants and fund you know, and sponsors and shit like that. And I inadvertently got into running kind of an event's business. We had a little bit of an event. That's when I really started dipping my toe into content and building a community type business. And then eventually one of my biggest don owners who I didn't know. His name is David Rose. He's a very prolific angel investor. He's one of the most active in New York City. He pretty much was like, Yo, I come from a big real estate family. You might not know that, but I want you to do what you did for Ko found Harlem for us and learn the investment side.
Speaker 2: Can you describe what an angel funder?
Speaker 4: Yes, So, an angel investor invests in startups with their own money. A VC, a venture capitalist invest in startups with other people's money. And that's really the key distinction. And so David Rose is a prolific angel and he wanted me to He wanted to recruit me and help him run a fund as a real estate technology fund. So we invested in real estate technology, not physical stuff, property management software. And I told Dave, I was like Yo, I don't really know any of this. He's like, John, we know real estate. You bring your energy. So anyway, fast forward a year, we learned, you know, we made some good investments and like I sourced the deals on my own, like I did everything on my own because they were too busy to really give me guidance. But the most important thing I learned had nothing to do with the job itself. It had to do with like the family had generational wealth, like they controlled thou dozens of thousands of units in New York City. I mean truly a legacy family, man. I mean when you go to you know, Dizzey's Club, that's that's the Rose. You know the Rose Hall. If you go to the American Museum of Natural History, that's the Rose Planetarium. Like they're embedded in what it means to be New York. Mister Rose, as David's father, large and part funded Martin Luther King Junior's original Millenmire in March in nineteen sixty three. I mean, we're talking about a legacy family. And so at that point, man, I really caught the bug. I was like, yo, I gotta go do this for us. So I went back uptown. I met, I met the fellas whom are now my partners at ACP. They had their own background. They come from a more academic background, and they were fortunate to be exposed to finance early. You know, I learned this shit through being an entrepreneur. They learned this through like there are pathways and programs in place. There's one called SEO and there's one called MLT. These are placement programs specifically for people of color to break into investment banking. That's only in New York or this is nationwide, I want to say. And and yeah, these brothers actually all you know, they the group was bigger back then. They all met in these placement programs, all working for banks, Goldman Bank of America, shit like that, and they decided, like, yo, let's put our bread to work. So that you know, they started doing that, and they kept hearing about me, because that's one thing. If you are top of mind at whatever you do, you're going to get more opportunities. And so you know, eventually they came on my radar. We met, and we started investing together. And one thing to clarify, and this is really important because you know, people want to get into VC, like they think, if you don't have a million dollars, you can't do it. But in reality, our first few checks were like ten or fifteen K by the way, split between like five guys, So it's like it was like literally two or three k each.
Speaker 3: So that's what you all came to the table, like three thousand piece.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's enough right now. Now, Look, if you can't make slash save enough to make two or three K, you're not ready. But if you're not bullshitting and you're serious about your shit, you can stack two K, two or three K.
Speaker 2: So five of you come up with three thousand.
Speaker 3: You got fifteen.
Speaker 4: We put together fifteen and then what's the vision now? And then and then it's like all right, bet, now where do we put it? You know? And so the quality of your deal flow increases over time. But at first, you know, we caught word of a local cafe that was looking for money. Cool, We put a little bit of bread into that, got to experience what it was like to be invested in small business. We caught word of a dental practice, a guy that was buying in dental practice is looking for money. Boom, you know, because you start communicating y'all'm looking for businesses to invest in. You do get deal flow back. You put it out and you start getting deal flow back. We caught word of a venture company, and so we invested in a couple of different a few different assets.
Speaker 2: The initial fifteen nohere gross as we go.
Speaker 4: So it was like we did capital calls, which is like, hey, we found a deal, it's time to put bread up. So that's a capital call, and you hit the whole group. Between all the five of you, there was like six six, there was like six all right.
Speaker 5: So now it's like, okay, we put the first fifteen, and you have to put five more in each.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean five was a lot for me at the time, but like you know, it was like, hey, we found a deal, who can put what was really the question? And like if I was more liquid at that time and really liked the deal, I might have put four. And then we might have had a partner who was like, yoh, I can only put one right now, and so it would vary and so yeah, over time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing, and this is credit to my partners at harm Capital, is like we always treated twenty five k like it was twenty five million. And now we've closed on twenty five million. So you know, so it's just crazy because you got to treat the baby step with as much respect as the end goal.
Speaker 5: So how did you all right, how did that work out? As far as the first early like look at even the first deal that you had a dentist office or the bakery. You gave him like what like five thousand dollars something like that or yeah.
Speaker 4: So, so the way the actual mechanics is, I know Yl likes to get into that is so the way you do it is you form an LLC. Okay, okay, and so each of the partners become members in that LLC. You name that shit whatever you want. And yeah, so it ends up being what we call an SPV, which is a special purpose vehicle, which is pretty much fancy talk for saying like, hey, anytime we invest in said company, it's gonna come through this entity, right, And the LLC is a fascinating legal entity because it's a flow through entity. So it's like you become members in that and like you on the company, Let's say we invest in you know, the cafe on that company's docs, on the formation documents for that company, they're going to see Harlem Capital Partners LLC on there. But then you know, if we make a profit or a loss, the profits and or losses from that entity flows through to each of the individual partners. So it's really just like a like a shield. It's like a step step away, it's removed. So anyway you make an LLC, you invite whomever for anyone listening who wants to create a little syndicate, that's what you call it, an angel syndicate. You invite homies that you think are serious, you join the LLC, you brand it, come up with a cool name, and then you start communicating it to the world at large that you're looking to invest.
Speaker 2: And this episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC ernests What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash go, backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com, backslash go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate, let's square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 6: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 4: Leave now.
Speaker 6: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: You know, and then you look for deal flow and that's you know that's how it works, and so we would put ten k, and then I think we ended up doing like six deals as angels, ten, fifteen, twenty if it was a hot deal ten if I was low on cash, and like, man, it's not really about we haven't seen a dollar, by the way, from any of the Angel investments we've made. In fact, we've lost money. Okay, yeah, the cafe closed down. You know, we've seen some distributions from the dental practice, but not really a lot of stuff doesn't work out according to plan. But the most important thing is being on the ride. Like I don't listen to anyone in business who hasn't lost more money than me. Like, you gotta get skin in the game. I can't take you serious if you don't have skin in the game. Like like you guys got cameras, you got mics.
Speaker 5: A lot of money, this would have worked out.
Speaker 4: Like you know, you got the focus, right, you got the mac put like you know what I'm saying, Like you guys are putting bread in. You put bread up to buy the shirts. You're putting bread in, right, and and so anyway, with the Angel investing thing, it's a lot more important to get in the game and you will not know. This is why at the beginning you asked me, like, yo, if I got any book tips, and I said, I don't really fuck with books, because you will not know what acid class you like until you invest in it. I thought I loved investing in small business, and then I discovered I really don't like this shit because when I was meeting with the business owners, we were talking about napkins and forks, and I'm like, dude, you know I want to talk about scale, and you know, like this just wasn't wasn't for me. I discovered that I like real estate a lot. I love real estate. I wouldn't have known that unless I jumped in. So I'm a really big fan of jumping in. And if you can't jump in a big scale, you jumping in a small scale. Just jump in. So how does that work.
Speaker 2: When it's six of you right as far as decisions, is it like majority or if it's like you know what, you don't like it, you're just not part of this deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it has changed over time. So when we were an angel syndicate, it was like, hey, are you interested? Some folks might have said no, but also you know, going back to this business is really a people first thing. You know, it's also respect for your partners, because your partner might find a good deal and you know, might have gotten in a good rapport with that founder and then two months in it's time to invest, and like, you know, I want to support the fact that my partner is excited about this deal and I'm gonna put I'm not gonna step up big. I might put up a thousand and be like yo, all right, cool, you know, put that in the deal. Conversely, when it's a hot deal, when it's by the way, hot deals, you're not they're not pitching you, you're pitching them to get in. Hot deals are oversubscribed, meaning a company typically will raise a finite amount of capital that's what we call around at a fixed evaluation. Okay, so they'll say, hey, I'm raising one point five million dollars at an eight million dollar valuation, i e. They're giving away twenty percent of the company. And then if it's a hot deal, you get good funds in investing and so like a fund you know, is like for anyone maybe doesn't know, is like you know, entrepreneurs who go out there and raise money from the market, you know, in institutions and Dowmons shit like that, and you know they have a great brand name. And over time, especially from Silicon Valley, you've had prestige funds emerge. These are funds that have proven track record that they know how to spot winners Sequoia, Benchmark, Kleiner Perkins whenever you see them on the cap table. The cap table is short for capitalization table, which is the page on your company's documents that shows who owns what. And so the cap table, you'll see a list and it'll say NAS invested fifty k owns two. Yeah, and so he also invests an angel, you know, such and such invested this, So the cap table. So we have this thing in VC. You want to be on cap tables. You know, like a lot of motherfuckers talking shit, But I never see you on the cap table. You know, you might be at the club table, but I se you at the cat table.
Speaker 3: They at the crap table.
Speaker 4: Yeah right right, so that's good on the table. So so so anyway, Yeah, when you see a marquee fund, meaning a top fund on the cap table, it's a competitive deal. That founder has options and we were fortunate a couple of times to squeeze into a very competitive deal. And in those deals, when a deal is hot, you want to make sure you as much as it costs you. I don't care if you got to pawn your fucking watch, get in the deal in as big of a way as you can. You might lose that money. I'm not gonna lie. But when you can get a good amount of exposure into that deal, you know those deals that end up doing ten twenty x.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask you a question for some good deals before I forget this.
Speaker 5: The reason the reason why I like this podcast is that we get to interview people and nobody. Like the last guest that we had was talking about stock Shot the Wallshet Trapper and he was saying how it is excites him and like you I could see like it's like you seen paid in full before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so so and.
Speaker 3: Mitch he was like, I love a game.
Speaker 5: Obviously he was somebody illegal game, but business is like a it's like a competitive sport.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: So it's like that's what I really loved. Like even with Steve Jobs when he said that it's the process that really excites.
Speaker 3: Him, not even getting it.
Speaker 5: Is not the journey, and it's like for people I really want everybody to understand, even like with the podcast, it's like it's ups and downs, but it's an exciting rise and I could tell it. I could see the excitement when you're telling a story, and it's like for people that have never been entrepreneurs, I just encourage.
Speaker 3: Just to have that feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, it's like a natural.
Speaker 4: The feeling is everything, bro.
Speaker 3: But I wanted to Askual you, so, how do you all?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: So you started as angel investors and you said that didn't really work out for you guys for the most part, it wasn't profitable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean so, so one thing to know is like when you make an angel investment, the yield curve on it, meaning the amount of time with which you're expected to make anything back, if at all, is typically seven to nine years, because that's the average life cycle of a business. And so when I say we haven't made any money, it's like chance for sure. And we're in some companies that we're expecting to make some money back. But like I quickly found out, like it's funny because you know I'm making you know, we're making deals and every time we make a deal. We announced that deal, and so my social was blowing up, Yo, your angel invest I'm like yeah, yeah, you know, and then I'm like, fuck, I'm not seeing any money, Like it just literally feels like you're just like your money's just disappearing because it goes to work. And then what happens for anyone who doesn't know how you make money adventure? You only make money adventure on a liquidation event, which is the company is sold. You do not, contrary to small business investing, if you invest in an ice cream shop, barbershop, restaurant, whatever, you're yielding profits, so you have a profit split.
Speaker 2: Because the example would be like when nas Or in his firm invest in ring and the ring gets put by Amazon or.
Speaker 4: Pill pack correct right, pill pack. So if you invest in a restaurant, you're making quarterly dividends. You get cash flows in venture because you're typically reinvesting profits in the business because growth and profits are inversely correlated. If you want to grow, you got to sacrifice profits, and so it's a very different kind of investing game. So you don't invest in a startup with the pretense that you're going to get profits. You would be hurting that business. So the trick is jumping in and getting in early at a nice valuation. On average, we invest in businesses along the businesses that are coming from the Midwest are on average valued between four to six million inventure, and businesses along the coast are valued between eight to ten million. So now eighty percent of m and A, which is mergers and acquisitions, are happening right now between the one hundred and fifty to two hundred million dollars price point. Like Gimblet Media got acquired for two hundred million by Spotify or whatever. If I would have gotten into give them media when there were worth ten million, you do the math on that. You get in at ten, they get sold that two hundred whoop. You know you got a twenty x. So what money did you put into that deal? You know, if you put in one hundred, that'll tell you what you net at the back end. So anyway, I'm just clarifying how you actually make money and venture. You get in into the sweet spot and then that business grows and if you're fortunate, it gets acquired and then you net.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between the valuation of cities out of Inland and the ones against the coast.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. And the real reason that businesses are priced differently based on geographies is due to cost of living. Okay, so like businesses make, you might make more as an individual in New York, and so as a result, employees are more expensive, offices are worth more and so, and there's also more capital in that market, and so you can usually justify a higher price point, whereas I love investing in businesses from the Midwest because they're reasonably priced. In fact, they say this is a nugget. Vcs say that the actual valuation, the true valuation of a business is the Midwest valuation, and then when you go out to the coast, you get inflated because when you're in Silicon Valley, those motherfuckers will pay any price for any business. And so we actually rarely invested. We haven't invested in a single business from the valley because by the time they come to us, they're like, oh, yeah, we're worth twenty million dollars. I'm like, show me a revenue. They got one hundred k revenue. I ain't paying twenty million for one hundred k and revenue, So like there's one thing to know as well is like there's actual different investment climates among the coasts. The West coast is very like, Yo, we're looking at scale by any means, and the East coast is a little bit more like conservative, We're looking for revenue and a little bit more modest growth, but revenue.
Speaker 3: How did you go from being angels to having like a VC.
Speaker 4: Add to the question, right, So, and we get this a lot because people say, yeah, I want to break into VC. Well, there's a number of ways. You Either work at a venture firm, good luck breaking into one, they're very exclusive, or like the path that we took, we started as angels and eventually, once you have enough of a track record you can you can go out to the market as a whole and say, hey, here's my thesis, Like, here's my idea. And it could be like our ship is around investing in the you know, diverse founders, like we invest in women and minorities. But that doesn't have to be your thesis. Your thesis could be around sports. Your thesis could be around music. Yo, I want to create a fund that invests in you know, music companies, sports companies, sewage, you name it, and the the true test of whether you can raise a fund or not is if you can convince enough people to believe in your ship. And what I found out raising money is there's a lot of motherfuckers with money for wealth.
Speaker 2: You said you said that the founding the coal is to invest in a thousand companies over the next twenty years, right, sir, So that would mean like fifty companies.
Speaker 4: Is that the goal?
Speaker 2: Like you're doing fifty companies.
Speaker 4: We're just we're doing a thousand founders over twenty years. So like if we invest in one company as four founders, we're counting that as fourka. But yeah, the way our fund model is structure. Right now, we're looking at doing uh, you know, thirty deals out of this first fund and then you know it'll accelerate, so it's not very linear. It's like our first fund might be twenty five to forty million, our second fund is going to be one hundred million, then court you know, then quarter billion and then a billion. You know, we're you know, we're thinking pretty big.
Speaker 5: So it's our relationship people. You build relationship people when they invest in your fund.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's right, the same way that entrepreneurs are asking for money we're doing the same shit, okay. And so the biggest misconception, like when we close our fund and we make the announcement, I think it's gonna make a very big splash because we're gonna be like, you know, young of color, and I think we we're gonna raise a considerable amount. People are gonna look at the headline and automatically think that we're it's our bread, okay, full disclosure, not our It's very important that.
Speaker 5: A lot of times people the ANGEL in the VC, they kind of get that mix and they think, if you have a VC firm, all of that money is your money that you're putting up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if you want so, I'll just break this down quickly. The fund model. All right, this is how you make money. When you cross over from ANGEL to VC. You get paid on what's called the two and twenty. That's the fee structure. So the two refers to your management fee. So whatever the total size of your fund is, this is why your INCENTIVI is to go for a big fund. Whatever the total size of that fund is, two percent of that annually is what you make as your fee. So on a twenty five million dollar fund, two percent of that is five hundred grand. So you get five hundred grand every year to pay for a salary, office, travel, everything. Now, if you know, with a team of four in office and stuff like that, like you know, you might make one hundred g's on salary. Like that's nice, but you're not gonna get rich off of that. You're not meant to get rich off of that. The LP, there's two kinds of partners in the fund. There's the GP, the general partner, which is the partner's putting in the work, and then there's the LP's a limited partner, this person who's investing. So your LPs do not want you to get rich off the fees because then you would never work. You get rich on the other side. I remember I said it's two and twenty to is a management fee. The twenty is what we call the carry, and the carry is your share of the profits. So now because we can, because we can get into a little detail, I'll just explain this. Typically, you as the GP, if you set out to go raise a fund, your commitment to the fund, you put up one percent of the total fund. Okay, So if my partners and I are set out to raise as an example, twenty million. One percent of that is two hundred thousand, so we have to come up with two hundred g's across you know, the four of us. Okay, beat now, But here's a mind blowing shit. Remember I said the twenty is that refers to your share of the profits, which is twenty percent. So we're making twenty percent of the profits on twenty million. So it's just like, you know, I guess it might be complicated. It's like ingrained to me now, so it's not the complicated to me now, but like in a nutshell, you're if you can put together two hundred g's, it's buying you a ticket to get the profits on twenty million.
Speaker 3: Like, so that's two million.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends on how much money you make with the twenty million, and that's the incentive. So it's like, can you make this twenty million and turn it into one hundred million. If you do, you get twenty percent of that, you get twenty million million. Yea, you know. So it's like it gets complicated, but like.
Speaker 5: How can people if they want to? We're going to move on to the next segment, but I want to so if people are interested in like pitching their business.
Speaker 3: It's like shark Tank. How realistic is shark tank?
Speaker 4: Shark Tank is to angel investing what Indiana Jones is to our.
Speaker 5: So they're not coming in front of you. So how the Jones Indiana.
Speaker 4: Nothing like that ship? Yeah, so yeah, the real ways like people send in a pitch deck and we you know, and then you know, if the pitch deck looks good, then we'll sign apart. There's different levels of a deal screen, so you know, pitch deck looks good. If not, then we'll well, we pass pretty quick. And we see a thousand deals a year. We invested ten deals a year, so we're talking about one percent investment rate. So if we see a hog deal, one partner is jumping on the phone with that founder. Then that partner reports back with about a page of notes to the rest of the team. Yo. Cool. And then if there's interest, then another partner will jump in as many partners as are interested. Then we jump in with the full with the full team, we try and get a fuller team situation, and we learn more. We have interns, so then our interns might go and do market research and analyze what we can expect to make, and then interest grows and usually you have every partner leads their own deal at the fund. So it's all about like, yo, all right, what deals? What deals am I getting versus Brandon versus Jerry versus a reed. We're all looking for our own deals. And to your question about voting, we have a we have a conviction over consensus philosophy. Like it's not like all of us have to agree. It's like if someone really worked up about this deal, and can you get people excited? You're judging off the passion of one of your partners for sure, and their ability to defend the deal. And we'll test you. We'll heat check each other and grill each other, like, yo, I don't know if this deal is gonna make it. Like like I try to get a media deal through and I couldn't get it through. It got shut down because my partners were like, yo, you know, the media climate is really hairy right now. You know Vice and BuzzFeed and Refinery twenty nine. You know they're not doing too well and they're the big dogs, so how the small dogs and you just it's a mental game, and if you can get people excited, then we close the deal and we say, all right, bet we're gonna invest X amount and then we just wire them the money and then we prayers up.
Speaker 5: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen, one on one, one O three, one O four and one on five. That it, right, Benurecathlo and Angel Best. Going to our last segment. All right, So in the last segment, we're going to talk about something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and dear to our heart, absolutely it is media, right, sir.
Speaker 5: So I heard you talk previously and you you have interesting views about media and you used to have you still have.
Speaker 4: Your podcast, Yeah, I have a out. Yeah if I've done a number of podcasts, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then you have the show on Vice.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do hustle, hustle, hustle.
Speaker 5: So all right, so how does that work as far as being on the all this out of the coin, as far as like, because Vice is a huge operation, rightm.
Speaker 3: Like what's the end of workings of that? Like having your own show?
Speaker 2: How that even come about?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So the interesting So the the essence of media is communicating who you are, what you do, and why you do it in a way that resonates with an end consumer, with another person pretty much on the other side of that screen. And like that's just a very unique opportunity that we have specific to this generation. And like at the essence of having a show and all this other stuff, like and even earn your leisure, Like, at the essence of it is like people are picking out what you're putting down, like the funck with what you're saying and what your guests saying and all this other stuff. And that's really the most important part, man, And and once you're able to over time, if you stay consistent, if you look at my earliest videos, man, really bad, you know, cheesy, stiff, and like, you know, some I have people that reach out to me that are trying to get into video now, but they're comparing their day one shit to like my stuff now. It's like it's not going to be the same. But if you're willing to deal with the discomfort of being new at this for enough period of time and you get through some of the kinks and you learn to express yourself on this specific medium, whatever that is. It could be writing like my Boy Julian Mitchell Rester Forbes and Beats, it could be podcasting, it could be video, whichever the medium. Once you have gone through the reps, and get good at expressing yourself in that medium. Then what happens is you start building a community and audience of people who fuck with you, you know. And then once you have that, which is like messenger, message and audience, and that virtuous cycle opens up the door for a lot. And so the first big media project that I was invited to do was a podcast that I hosted for eBay that was produced by a company called Gimlet Media, and that like that project, Like I got paid like fifty g's to do that, and like, I didn't even know that you could get paid to do some shit that I would do for free. So something eBay was like, yo, we have millions of sellers, and Gimblet's like yo, we have millions of listeners. And you know, they so they'd cut a deal between themselves. eBay was looking at produce a podcast gimblin that's their business producing podcasts. Boom that's a branded podcast, meaning it's brought to you by eBay. And then what happens is they look for hosts, and so, you know, because I was already out there doing my thing, my name came up in the conversation. And that's why I really believe if you're not out there doing your thing with the fucking phone, then you're never gonna get to a bigger screen. So start with whatever screen you got. And so I was fortunate to come with conversation. I met with the lady. She really liked me, and yeah, and and I got Boom. I got the opportunity to host my first bigger scale, branded production. And that was a you know, Gimlet is very special the way they do their podcast. Like, we had four producers, we had a creative director. I mean, it was like a big production. I was traveling, yeah, so it wasn't like a regular thing. But but so that was my first like thing. Okay boom. We did two seasons of that, and then you know, my speaking started taking off because it's all a virtuous csychic, all feeds each other. Once you have a lot of listeners, you're being requested in all places. So then I started doing speaking first for free, and then I found out you get paid for it. So the very next time someone said, yo, you want to speak, I said, instead of just saying yes, I said, what's your budget? You know an important question these days. I don't ask for the budget. I just say my price. But those days, I was like, what's your budget and she was like a thousand bucks. I was like, cool, I'll take it. So like I got paid a G and then I tried to go for G again, but you don't always get it. So then I got two hundred bucks four hundred three fifty five seven fifty thousand, two gs back to one. You know, just like the reps, the motions like okay, cool, And you know, when you're first doing something, whether it's vc, whether it's media, whether it's real estate, you want to prioritize in the beginning for reps. So I'm doing whatever it is for free to start. It doesn't matter to me. I just want to get the reps in. And I started getting better and better, and so speaking started picking up. I got signed by an agent. To anyone listening, yes there is a profession that exists where it's like a salesperson whose sole job is to sell you and you don't pay them anything. They just make a commission the catches. They only take people on that they feel like they can sell. And so I found an agent who was like, yo, you know you got a lot of stuff going for you. Let me represent them. I had a literary agent was like, yo, you know you should do a book deal, and then I asked her if she knew any speaking agents introduced me and the first time I signed to an agent, my rate for speaking got up to like thirty five hundred. I was like, all right, bet you know it was higher than my one thousand I was charging. But they take twenty percent percent of thirty five hundred. It's like seven hundred bucks, so I was not in like twenty eight hundred. All right, cool, I could do and it was just whatever they brought me, so it was really net net. So anyway, so here I have, this podcast is being listened to by people, is feeding my speaking business. And every time I went and spoke, I noticed people weren't recording their shit. I'm on, dude, you're leaving out the main value recorded so you can turn it into small business content, so you can feed it to social so you can get requested in more places. And it just all feeds each other. So that's what I was really doing. I had the chance to do another podcast for the Washington Post, similar sized deal, and so just over time, this all feeding each other. I'm speaking a lot, I'm capturing it. A lot of cats don't want it capture their shit because they don't want to pay for a video guy to travel with them. I'll take it. I'll take a haircut all day. Yeah, I'll pay my video guy whatever I got to pay him, and the flight and the lodge. These days, my agent knows that I always travel with video, so now that shit gets covered for me, and I just pay my my guy for the craft. But so as you can see, as you grow in the game, you get efficiencies dialed in, but when you start, you gotta come out out of pocket. So I'm eating into my own profits, sometimes not making any money, sometimes costing me money to pay for the video guy. But the video and capturing is essential to the craft because that is what allows that particular engagement to live beyond that engagement. And there are some companies throwing massive conferences with no fucking no one capturing anything. It did happen. And so anyway, so I'm capturing these talks, communicating it. I'm one of the only kind of younger cats like doing it this way. And so then that picks up and next thing you know, man, the phone turned into a vlog, turned into the podcast turned into someone hit me up and saying, hey, you want to do a TV show? You know, and then it happened, So the TV show Mark Samuelson, Marcus Samson Ye, yeah, Top Chef Harlem, tizz too. Yep.
Speaker 2: How did I mean? Did you know him or did you meet him? And I guess at least a Ke's also the executi producer as well. Right, yes, did you know them prior have a relationship or you know, during the process.
Speaker 4: So Mark shout out to Marcus Samerson man good brother, one of my original mentors in Italian Guy. He told me he's like, yo, and this is I don't know if you guys heard me say, like, you got to be top five and whatever you do, you got to come up top of mind. If not, then you're missing out. You're leaving opportunities on the table. That mentor taught me that, and he told me he's like, you got to be top five in Harlem if you're gonna build in Harlem. And right now, number one in Harlem is Marcus Hammerson, So you got to go and build with him. It's crazy to think years later he's executive produced by show and now we're making money together. But at that point in time, I was like, fuck, all right, I gotta get to Marcus, and I was emailing him stuff like that, and eventually the restaurant, yup, well that's the restaurant. Eventually he invited me by. We had coffee. He liked me a lot, and I interviewed him similar to this. You know, I like using interviews as a way to build relationship. For sure. For sure, now you guys know all the players and then yeah, man, And so then I had someone approach me about doing the show. And the cool thing about packaging the show is that there's junior talent and their senior talent. You usually will have the junior talent kind of be on camera, which is what I was in this production, and then you find bigger names and attach them to the product, to the project. In this case, it was Marcus Sammerson. Marcus who signed to WM that's Alicia's same agency. We lobbed it up there, We're like, yes, she might be interested. She was interested, came onto the project, and now it's four of us, Marcus, Alicia, me and then Beth, the original creator of the show. And you know, then we had two likes to stand on and what you do is you develop was called the Sizzle Reel, which is like a two minute preview of the show. Where people go wrong in TV is they spend way too much money on the pilot. They'll drop like ten, fifteen, twenty g's I don't care how much money you spend on the pilot. Your pilot's gonna be fucking terrible your first go round cause you don't even know what you're making. And so my producer the EP of the show, she actually was like, she's a very seasoned TV executive. She made Pimp my ride, and she told me she's like John, that show bought me my first house. So she made a real hit show. And so as a result, she knew, hey, let's not spend any money on the Sizzle reel. Let's actually just rip existing footage splice it together. What we did was she camped out outside of Alicia's trailer one day after outside of an event, and she got Alicia's voiceover on the Sizzle. So that gave us enough credibility. And with that two minute sizzle with Alicia's vo on a voiceover, we were able to go to market and like one thing about selling a TV show is not enough to know the companies. You got to know the specific buyers within that companies, because there's buying departments whose sole job is to look for things to put on their cable roster, on their lineup. And so we you know, we went BT was interested. Netflix, we had some interest, Oxygen, we had some interest, but Vice emerged as very interesting. They called us in like it was very clear from the beginning that they were very very interested. And what they did was what happens with a series, is they bought the pilot, so they actually funded instead of us shooting our own pilot. This is what I said, hold off, use a sizzle reel, use that as a selling mechanism. Then the network will buy the pilot. They'll fund the pilot. So now your pilot is coming from the specifications of the network and they're telling you how they want to see it. And the cool thing about this deal is after you shoot the pilot, they have four months to pick it up. If they pick it up, great, you're you know, you got picked up. You're going to season one. If they don't pick it up, you get the show back, and then you get to sell it with a pilot. That was made on someone else's dime. No one knows that shit, Like I mean, like experience TV execs know that. But I was blessed because Beth gave me the insight and and I told her. I was like, hey, look, I'm gonna be I guess, on camera talent, but like you know, I'm a fucking businessman, and you know, like I want to do this only if you'll lift the curtains and give me a real honest look at like what this whole process is, budgeting, developing, the concept, creative producing, you know. And you know, she was like, all right, let's do it if we're fortunate to get on a ride because point zero one percent of all pilots get picked up. And we defied the odds. We got picked up and it was a razy ride.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: It was a twenty two person crew. I mean it was. It's a multimillion dollar budget show. And how does that work?
Speaker 2: So like when you get picked up after the pilot, is it per episode or are you getting paid for the season?
Speaker 4: So so full disclosure, I you know, is just on camera talent for season one because you got to start somewhere. So the way that the mechanics work, because I got insight is a production company gets paid a per episode fee. That production company will say, hey, it's going to cost us three hundred grand, four hundred grand, two hundred grand, one hundred grand, whatever it is to make the show you quoted out. The network agrees, and then the production company typically keeps like ten percent of the budget is their fee, and then they get to make whatever this, you know, whatever money they don't spend. So like if if it's one hundred thousand dollars per episode, but they made it for seventy, they keep thirty plus their fee. So anyway, that's how the actual mechanics work. But just like you're gonna find a common theme here, you're not really gonna make a lot of money in your first real estate deal. You're not really gonna make a lot of money your first angel deal or your first speaking gig or season one. You use season one as a way to get it going. Now, Beth, who sold the show device could now turn around to another network and sell another concept a lot easier, and then we can get picked up season two and so forth.
Speaker 5: Said that, remember we had an actor. We was in la and he so seventeen. He said that he said, he's actly what you said. He's an actor, he's not a producer of the show. Where he was saying that even for like an actor, your first year or two years is like nothing. Then now you can negotiate like a like it's like sports. Your first contract is a little bit of money, and now you're in a position. Okay, I performed. You know my work ethic. You see this, da da da, Now you the second deal is like.
Speaker 2: It's just like your resume.
Speaker 4: And the interesting thing is I went through the negotiating table with illusions. Dellusions are grandeur. I was like, Yo, I want twenty g's an episode that I had heard that that's what you get paid, and they were like, yo, remove a couple of er and so like. But I was like, Yo, how can that be because I had I had a reference where I was making more per episode on podcasting, and I realize, actually that that is the case. TV has so much leverage because they know that once you're on air, you're gonna make a lot of money, and so you actually get paid very little to be on unscripted i e. Reality television because they know that you're gonna make money on the exposure, like love hip hop, like lost of the characters. Yeah, well people not even they are characters. Yeah, we know some of them. So so that's how it works. So anyone looking to make you know, a gatin TV, Well, let me.
Speaker 5: Ask you this before we before we end this. All right, you're you're an entrepreneur, right the way this is going, does it make sense for somebody to go that traditional route or to go in route YouTube?
Speaker 3: And like, what's what's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: I think right now that's a great question. I think right now October twenty fifth, twenty nineteen, that the current climate right now, there's a lot of money to be made in branded projects. Branded projects that is, a brand like Modello, Corona, Nike, Adidas, Cadillac or whatever. Like all these brands are looking for ways to reach consumers. Remember we started this media segment by me giving the basic truth, and that was for a reason. Messenger message audience. It could be on the phone, it could be on the vlog, podcast writing, TV doesn't matter. But the reality is that these days brands are looking for new and elevated ways to reach audiences, and the way they're doing that is via smaller content creators like us and if you could position yourself the right way, you can position yourself to extract some of those dollars. Because those budgets are flowing around. I'm fortunate to see them. They're flowing around. Brands are spending quarter million dollars for one event one night, quarter million dollar for an event, you know, five hundred thousand on a podcast literally a podcast season, a few million on a show. You know. These these brands have budgets. Now here's the thing. I don't know how much longer this is gonna last. I'm looking around like, yo, what fuck? Like there's money and everything these days. Yo. The other day I got a I got uh, you know, product from a company called Poopery, which is like you spray this spray in a toilet before you take shit, And like when I got paid to take a shit, I was like, yo, you there is literally nothing that you can't get paid for. So so right, So with that in mind, I'm like, all right. One thing I know is that there's a lot of budget flowing around for creators. Another thing I know is that nothing lasts forever. So the third thing I know is I'm gonna try and make as much of this bread while it's around get to the back. This is a market reality that's specific to our generation. There are companies spending you know, incredible amounts of bread to create content, to build communities, to reach people. So with that being said, are you gonna put in the effort to build the community? And if you do and you become top five, you will get hit up for opportunities to get paid to do what you love.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, that was powerful. Man, Thank you, Thank you for coming in and appreciate that. Something that you will even looking forward to. And I think every segment it was I learned every single you.
Speaker 2: Know, as you're talking, I'm just thinking like, Yo, this guy's twenty six years old, or those experience that you had sound like a lifetime, sound like a biopic. Like you know, I'm thinking like he's doing that at twenty two, twenty three, twenty like what we're trying to figure out? Yo, we're going to caravan? My god, this is great, prody.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, we're not worthy of that, but thank you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, just a kid that started doing early. The earlier you start doing, you know, the more time you get under your belt. But thank you guys man, it was great to hop on this platform. And I hope that you guys audience fucks with it and if they do, we can do a second installment soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, for sure. Anything you want to tell the people.
Speaker 4: No, man, just I love you guys man, for real, even if we haven't met, because damn man, Like, proximity is everything. Man, you can't be what you can't see. And I appreciate each of us playing our part, whether it's consuming the content and then taking action on that content, or it's distributing the content or sharing the mess, whatever your role in this whole thing is. I really do think we're living in some special times, bro. Like we're living in the same way Dizzy and Bird knew each other when they were playing jazz, in the same way Nas and Hove like knew each other coming up. Like, I really think entrepreneurship or whatever is the new zeitgeist. And I'm just, you know, honored to be part of this whole space.
Speaker 3: For sure. We honored to have you Troy any housekeeping items. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: We just want to give a big shout out to everybody on patreon dot com that is proud to pay program you already know how that works.
Speaker 3: This five tiers.
Speaker 2: It allows the podcast to do a lot of things, travel, put on events, like we said, we got something to coming for DC and we.
Speaker 4: Got some new numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Curvin's shout out to you, Al Swin, Andrew, Jeff, and shout out to Rex. He's a T five member, so shout out to him and everybody supporting the merger on earnielisia dot com.
Speaker 3: Patreon is in the community.
Speaker 4: That's a big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we We said that we're gonna do something when we get to one hundred. We had like ninety six right now, so we're going to do something what we get to one hundred patrons the.
Speaker 5: Show and the book tip of the week is Steve jobs autobiography.
Speaker 3: Actually write that book.
Speaker 5: It was actually a really good book, inspirational when it kind of outlies his whole journey in business. So yes, once again, thank you guys rocking with us. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: Peace Peace, Peace Earners.
Speaker 7: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites with Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and listeners of this show, we'll get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p o d k A t z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need