Speaker 1: Welcome to the twenty twenty sixth Patriots Unfiltered Draft Show. The New England and Patriots Slide presented by Toyota is official website for deals by a Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, our special draft extravaganza. It's Day three of the NFL Draft and it's Fred Kurge, Paul Torello, Evan Lazar, Mike do So. We'll be here for the next two hours at least, at least breaking down what's going on at most. So, Patriots made three picks yesterday. We'll go over them again. Right now, the NFL Draft is getting down to the end of the fourth round. I think there's two more picks left in the fourth round and then we're on to the fifth. Yeah, correct, where the Patriots have a couple picks.
Speaker 3: Right, just one one are seventy one right now, one thirty nine. The Patriots will next select the next schedule to select at one to seventy one, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: They still have three six round picks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they should happen pretty quick.
Speaker 2: I mean one seventy one's package those.
Speaker 4: Three six is to get up in the fifth will go two fifth rounds. Well I was looking at it last night, the trade value chart as one does, and Welles.
Speaker 2: Trying to figure out sure it all added up.
Speaker 5: If they did want to.
Speaker 4: Give rid of these sixth round picks, dump the picks, as they say, uh, then maybe you know they they if they did package two of their sixth round picks with their fifth round pick, they could have gotten back into the fourth round. So you know, one of their sixth round picks would get them to the top of the fourth of the fifth, maybe the very last pick of the fourth, top of the fifth, right in this range. So if they were interested in trading up, they they could do it right now. So stay tuned.
Speaker 5: Okay, that would be great because right now it feels like you're watching the fray go by a little bit. Guys going off the big board. Definitely a player.
Speaker 4: Definitely feels like this is a top one fifty kind of draft. Like once you get outside of the top one hundred and fifty picks, normally it starts to really fall off a cliff, but in a draft like this, I'd say it falls even harder.
Speaker 2: On my back of the envelope, guys went, Yeah, the Bills took Juke Bowery alignment from BC should have been a little closer to.
Speaker 3: The front of the envelope then, now, you do you do expect your back of the envelope guys to all get drafted?
Speaker 2: Right? Not necessarily.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite name of.
Speaker 5: The draft the Fijians Price Sock. Yes, I liked him, like a name I should have named taj. This is a reading in the book, right, it's very biblical. But you do expect all your back.
Speaker 4: Of the envelope guys to get killed, right?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think they all will. Oh no, you know.
Speaker 3: My two except for the guys that have they had the red flag, they might not get Jack Velling could be an undrafted free agent as well as Xavian Surrey Junior.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're here today, freend, so maybe you can make some calls if he doesn't get drafted, you know, try to talk them some help.
Speaker 3: That was one of the talked about last night where they might miss Mike Rabel's presence is recruiter with the U d F as like my I mean, Fred, I think there's an opportunity.
Speaker 2: But all kidding aside that that was interesting that Elliott said that that it would be missed.
Speaker 5: I did think that was interesting. That was one of the things that I thought, you know, usually like the boards kind of set, I would assume that, you know, they can kind of pull the trigger. But Mike Rabel is a great salesman, and you hear all the players they've already selected respond to him on the phone. Uh, you know, I love I love what you know Lomu had to say about, you know, getting to meet him, and he's a little aggressive, you know, kind of stand off with him. So that is something I think that that could hurt a little bit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, look.
Speaker 4: At Elijah Ponder. You know, they got him as an undrafted rookie last year and he contributed a lot as a rookie.
Speaker 2: All Right, so you've had a night to sleep on it.
Speaker 5: I didn't really sleep Forred. I'm gonna be honest. That coffee right before the show last night. I'm up on my I know I was coming to Fred, but you need to. I'm still ready.
Speaker 2: Your day after assessment of the first three picks for the New England Patriots.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's there's a lot to like about Rared, and I mean I think there's a lot comparable to Lomu and that there is some raw ability there, but the athleticism again, and you know, I don't always going back to that, but they've been drafting a lot of really athletic guys, good size, good link. That was actually talking to Brian Hory. We're having a Patriots event here, watch party. Bunch of pups. If you're around the area, get down there a lot of cute little dogs running around. But you know, Brian Horry really liked the pick. He was telling me that, you know, he thinks he's gonna fit Josh McDaniel's offense.
Speaker 4: Really well, but probably needs to get a little.
Speaker 5: Stronger, you know, continue to one, continue to grow up, Kolby Young, is that what you're saying? Going so, yeah, I I like it. I'm excited to see him coming. It's exactly the cos there you go.
Speaker 3: Could you see the wheels turning? An even points to the screens. There's another one of Fred's guys, and Fred looks and you see him thinking, is that one of.
Speaker 4: My looks at his domble.
Speaker 3: He actually has a back of the envelope, that is, it's not like a metaphor.
Speaker 5: It actually is the back of the envelope.
Speaker 4: Real thing and then it cuts. That's one of my guys. I remember all the guys he said. It's one of my favorite parts of the draft is hearing what you guys think. I spend way too much time on this, so I'm interested to hear it.
Speaker 2: I just do a back of the envelope and I'm more accurate than one hundred percent and.
Speaker 4: Nailed only kidding, Yeah, you nailed it.
Speaker 5: But I'm I'm excited to see Raredan come into here and see how he fits in. Wanted that third tight end you can learn under Hunter Henry. But I think he's got size, He's got big hands, and I think that that could be a potential weapon in the red.
Speaker 2: Und He could be well, he could be the hidden gem of this draft for the Patriots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think what you're optimistic about with him because I know a lot of people go back to the injuries and the tear and then retear of the same acl but that that happened in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two. You know, he played twenty eight straight games. I'd noted, damn without getting hurt. So hopefully the injuries are are in his rear view mirror, and he's beyond that now as a player, and obviously he had to break out season last year, you know at Notre Dame, So I maybe I would have picked different guys in certain spots than they did. But there were so many different conversations of going tackle, edge, tight end. With their first three picks, felt like every mock draft you saw was that combination in some order way, shape or form. So they they kind of in that respect wen Chalk and sort of did what we all wanted them to do and expected them to do. You know, they took Raridon. You know at the end of the third round, maybe I would have taken injuries from Texas, but they took Rridon and like they probably will end up being right about it. You know, he's probably will be a better player. So I think in a lot of different cases they did sort of you can't be mad at them at all, Like, yeah, because they did what what we all wanted and expected, and then what they were saying all off season were the priorities, and they went out and they attacked them.
Speaker 2: So if the aj Brown thing wasn't didn't seem to be so likely. Do you think one of those three might have been a wide receiver on more mock drafts as we got closer to the draft.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe sure, I think we crossed wide receiver. Maybe not entirely off the list, but I would say the first two days I crossed it off the list, assuming it's going to be aj Brown. But keep going back to the point that they have three guys that are for contract next year, talking about Booty, they do need some other guys in the pipeline, so I wouldn't be surprised here if the right guy falls through the cracks. Everybody's saying how bad this draft is, Is there really going to be much of a market for the undrafted guys. I'd assume that these six and seventh round picks are essentially going to be the guys who are usually that quality of player of undrafted.
Speaker 3: To the experts that a lot of them have said stuff like that Day three is going to be a struggle comparatively. Now, there's going to be good players that get taken today. You know, there always are There always are guys, you know, like Pooka Nakula that you know no one's really paying attention to, and all of a sudden, three years from now, you go, like, imagine they got that guy in the fifth round or whatever. You know, Yeah, there's always, I mean always hidden guys. I'm curious on on Raridan. Is it rared in or is it just Rearden? Like, how do we rared in? I think so Okay, So I'm not ready to just say he's a third tight end. I'm like, I'm wondering if they're going if they're going to use two tight end sets. Yeah, I mean, I I don't think it makes a lot of sense to have Hill out there with with Hunter Henry. I think it makes more sense to have this guy out there with Hunter Henry and have two guys that the defense necessarily has to pay attention to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I would say like tight end is typically one of the slower developing positions from college to the NFL. Now, Notre Dame is a good tight end factory, and they maybe they're guys are a little bit more pro ready than the average and a college tight end their college prospect. But most of the time, tight end is a slower burn when it comes to develop. No, You're right about it.
Speaker 2: So I look at I think.
Speaker 4: That Rariden has a potential to have an imp because of his vertical field stretching ability. That's an element that Henry and Hill. At this stage of Henry's career, he's not bringing the down the field threat that Raridan can bring. So you know, maybe he's one of those guys that, you know, just like he did last year in college. You know, he only had thirty two catches, but they went for fifteen yards of catch, which you know, I like it, right, So you know, maybe he's only has twenty catches as a rookie, but he is able to break off some big plays and make an impact that way. I would just temper expectations that he's gonna step in and have like this huge role, No, because that doesn't really usually happen at tight end unless you draft a guy like Tyler Warren or something like that.
Speaker 5: In the fast I wouldn't expect that.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just looking ahead to some specific things that they did with like with Hooper and yeah, and Henry, and I think that he can, you know, because I don't think Hooper had a huge role last year. No, but a couple of touchdowns, yeah, a couple of big plays like Evan just talked about, And you know, I think maybe this guy the ability to do that. He's right, Evan's right about I mean, even with Gronk and Hernandez. It took Gronk a little bit. You know, we're talking about one of the best, if not the best, to ever do it. It took him a little while to get his feet wet. But it's usually the you know, balancing the dual responsibilities because you're almost like another off You're almost like a sixth offensive lineman and you're you know, like the fourth receiver, you know, at.
Speaker 5: The same time.
Speaker 3: That's exactly and that's what makes that transition a little more difficult.
Speaker 5: Well that's that's what makes me excited about him because I kind of made peace with a guy like delp or maybe he's never gonna be that guy, and that's okay, that you can find a role for that guy. But the potential of rot and I, you know, I went back to my notes of what I wrote about him, and I, you know, I felt like he had the desire to block. I think he's maybe a better blocker than some people are getting him credit for. But I think you can also get stronger and tougher and to develop an all around tight end like that and You've got the balance in front of him between Hill and Henry that you know, you don't have to do anything.
Speaker 2: An intriguing potential.
Speaker 5: It's exactly what I wanted of We can just it's when I said to Hoyer, I'm like, Josh can kind of play with this kid a little bit. There's no pressure on him to have to come in and you know, look, we're gonna let you play, but you better make sure you're blocking well. You know, if there's not that, it's hey, this is gonna be a package for you. We feel like we can take advantage of your size down the seam and you know, just the catch radius, the size of the hands that I've been saying it all all spring appealing to me with Drake May who Drake May like.
Speaker 4: That's my favorite part about him as a player, Like you have nearly eleven in chance, an eighty inch wingspan, he's six foot.
Speaker 5: Six, he likes he's all of six foot six.
Speaker 4: You know, he's a seam runner. He runs a lot of deep crossing routes, he runs a lot of you know, post corner type concepts, and he's just a big target. He's a big, big target and you can just see in your eye, you can just see Drake may just kind of putting it on the platter for him and letting him use his size and you know, be a nice, big, friendly target for him between the numbers. But you know, I just I look at it as this year. I like, you get a few big plays out of him, like I was talking about earlier, with his speed and with his ability to stretch the field vertically. But really you're drafting him because Hunter Henry's thirty one years old and you want a developmental player at that position. You want to add somebody into the pipeline. With Akis, I think Agus is going to push for playing time right away. I think Akis has a chance. And I love Harold Landry. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I think Accus has a chance to be to surpass Harold Landry immediately pretty quickly. I agree as a rookie that that picked you know, Lamu and rare it In feel more like long term development plays, which is what the draft is for. Akus feels like the guy that is going to make the biggest impact on this.
Speaker 3: Maybe they can sort of transition Landry to you know, you know, we talk a lot about Morgan Moses. They have a plan for him, you know, is coming off an injury. Maybe that's the.
Speaker 5: Plan, you know, get him a bunch of reps, can.
Speaker 3: Make him more of a part time player, and let akin in Draymond Jones be the you know, sort of the every down you know, edge setting physical uh you know, yeah, bull rush types as opposed to the speed rush types. I mean, there's a lot to ask for a rookie second or pick. I'm not putting the cart before the horse, but potentially I could see something like that. And what I really like about the offense when you're talking about all this stuff you guys, is these are some of the little chess pieces, like you said, Mike, that that Josh can use with a kid like this, and then you can go power with what they did in the off season, you know, like Barah Tucker, you know up front in front of Reggie Gilliam and Julian Hill. Yeah, you know, when you want to talk to you guys at the combine about wanting to be more wanted to be more physical, wanted to be more consistent running the ball. We've got to get stronger. Yeah, right, That's what he said to you guys. Yeah, so now they have the opportunity to do that.
Speaker 2: I've heard of the past though, that sometimes it's hard to do that for a linemen. It's like you're either the game plans there were going to fire out and be running today or or not. And you know, it's it's tough to make that transition within the game. Yeah, you know, because it's a different mindset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see. I also just I was.
Speaker 5: Looking back at you know, their rankings in the red zone last year. I mean, they they peaked kind of around the middle of the league, but basically they were below average. I mean, you know, by Baltimore, they're twenty six in the league in red zone offense. I mean, I wonder if Riden can help that number two because that's a place that I don't think they were.
Speaker 4: All in his profile that I you know, as I've dug deeper into the tape, you know, in the last twelve hours, he only had three career touchdowns at Notre Dame. He had zero last year, you know, in his big season, and I was, you know, was it usage?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, they just didn't feature him in the red zone obviously they had those two running backs and they kind of just ran the ball in a lot of the time Jeremiah Love and and Price. But I was just looking at that and I thought that was weird, Like this six foot six, big tight end, pass catching tight end with this huge catch radius and big hands, and like you'd think that that would be a mismatch kind of piece that you could use in the red zone. And they didn't really use him. Interesting and that, but not that he wasn't on the field, but it just wasn't He wasn't a featured red zone target. So maybe there's untapped potential there. Yeah, you know, maybe there's more there that Notre Dame didn't do with him. You know, that's part of the translation, you know. I would say the college game from a passing standpoint, with receivers and tight end is very different than the pro style game. And they don't really feature the tight end in college as like a mismatch weapon like they do in the pros. They don't move him around as much, they don't hunt matchups as much with those guys. I'd say Notre Dame does it more than the average school in college, but for the most part, it's not. That's not what you're really trying to get out of that position.
Speaker 2: Back to Akis, what did you think about how emotional he was in his call when he talked of Rabel and the owner and love it.
Speaker 4: I mean that doesn't like he like you just hear so much about his violence and his physicality. You don't play like that if you're without emotion, right, like, you know, like I feel like those two things go hand in hand. He was a captain at Illinois, like a real leader of that program. And I feel like you can't be running through guys faces like he does. If you're not, you don't have that sort of attitude about you. So, I mean him and Mike Rabel are like kindred spirit.
Speaker 2: It's like he just seemed like really grateful to have been taken. Yeah, and now that he's been taken, like he said, you're gonna get everything I can give.
Speaker 5: From day, send me the playbooks, send me the playbook.
Speaker 4: I wonder if some of that too he lasted, you know, like for him, you know, there were rumblings that he was going to be a top forty, top fifty pick easily when fifty five, so he waited a little bit longer than maybe he was expecting. So maybe there was a little bit of relief that you know, he finally did get drafted as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gabbitus that's his new names. All right, where are we?
Speaker 4: We are picked five of the fifth five.
Speaker 2: They hold back. Yeah, this could go a lot faster if the league wanted it to. Sam hecked about twenty five twenty five.
Speaker 4: There's a handful of centers that have gone in the last like, you know, twenty picks or so that we're all the centers that everybody has been talking about. Logan Jones went super early, but you know, Connor Lao, Sam Hacked, like, those are the guys that a lot of people are talking about, is projecting them as starting centers.
Speaker 5: You know that I have a lot of the off the ball linebackers have gone. They have That's that's been a spot where you know a number of guys Jimmy Roller from Michigan we talked about. Uh, I don't think Perkins has gone yet, but you know that's just the spot we talked about day three. Wer Yeah, Betcher.
Speaker 4: Betcher, Yeah. Laws in Deantay Lawson from Alabama has injury red flags on him. Harold Perkins obviously had the A C L earlier on in his career at LSU justin Jefferson. You know, some people liked him Aiden Fisher, My guy's still there. He was like kind of the last I was a Betcher Roller Fisher. You know, those are the three guys I was zooming in on. I like Perkins too, is just like a fun chess piece if you can figure him out. I mean, he's such a good athlete. If you can figure out what to do with him, then you know you might get a steal there. So they're looking for the guy that is more consistent and is just gonna kind of do the Robert Splane dance, then that's probably like a Fisher if you're looking for upside and potential than Perkins. Still being there is intriguing.
Speaker 2: Bob and Wilmington, North Carolina, writes Senate podcast at Patriots dot Com. He wants to know what's your favorite round of the draft?
Speaker 5: Second round? First, Well, the second round, because I think that's where you know. The first round you general generally know you know how guys are gonna go. But I think second round gets interesting, and I also think that's a time where you get a guy who might be devalued a little bit, but that still maybe they're coming off a bad year, maybe they had an injury. You have to take a little bit of a chance on a guy the first round. I love it, of course, but a lot of pressure on that player, you know, and to nail that player for the team. So I love Day two. I just that second and third round. Said it last night. That's where the rubber meets the road.
Speaker 4: That's the pick.
Speaker 5: Still, that's the heart of your draft. You've got to hit those ones. And you know, and to Paul's point, the Day three ones, this is where the great teams find players. This is you know, if you want to be consistently competitive in the NFL, you've got to find a couple of players almost every year on Day three. And that's what that's what the really good teams do. So you know, Patriots not No. Four fourth round pick. That's a little bit of a doughnut in their in their draft class this year. But you know, hopefully they have somebody here who falls through the cracks. But you know, to be honest, a lot of the guys that I love there, they're going fast and furious.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, what's your favorite round.
Speaker 4: I would say day two, you know, even the fourth round, Like I think that's where you separate the men from the boys. Like everybody can draft in the first round, like if you're especially if you're high in the first round. You know, I look even at the Patriots, like you know, Drake May and Will Campbell, like you know, those guys are guys that are consensus great players, great prospects.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, but you know, not everyone you know.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of misses, right, And I think you get that. It's so exacerbated when you missed there, you know what I mean because of what Ever's saying, Like, these are the guys that everybody has rated, and if you miss some one of those, you know, there's a laundry list of offensive tackles that have missed in the first round over the last five years.
Speaker 2: You paid a big price the draft high in the first round, whether it's because you suck or you traded a lot of acids to get there. Miss.
Speaker 4: I just think the killer the real hardcore scouting is yesterday and today, right, Like, and the guys that I think the best teams, like Deuce was saying, are the ones that find the diamonds in the rough. You know, Paul mentioned Nikua earlier on the show. You know, the Patriots like you going back to it drafting Craig Woodson in the fourth round. You know, like that that sort of those sort of picks are huge. I mean that that's if.
Speaker 5: You're asking me what's more impressive? You know what's harder?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know when you're getting those Day two and Day three picks. When the when when all the consensus talent is gone? Because in the first round you're picking from consensus talented players. But now you've got to figure out the intangibles. You know, who has you know, the desire, you know who's who's in what what what player is important enough? And then who fits in your system and stuff like that, what's what's the better fit? Yeah, I just think first rounders the difference makers. Yeah, and that's why.
Speaker 4: Most of the time.
Speaker 5: But then I gravitate the talent.
Speaker 4: Most, Like if you're gonna throw Trey Lance at me, like I can throw Fred Warner at you, like you know, like there's guys like that that go you know later in the draft to the.
Speaker 2: Only reason I threw Trey Lance. You said it was easy to draft the first well.
Speaker 5: It's pretty easy. There's more.
Speaker 3: I would argue there's more Round one busts than there are Day three Fred Warner I was.
Speaker 5: Going to say, it's hard not to draft in the first round. It's hard not to draft the guy. And I wonder in some of these teams if it becomes kind of group thinking. It's you look at these mock drafts and they say, well, Trey Lance is the fourth quarterback, and everyone's got that, and do.
Speaker 4: We really love them?
Speaker 5: Like I don't know, but you know, like I, it's hard because these guys get slotted and you know, you're they're supposed to go there.
Speaker 4: But go back five years, look at the.
Speaker 5: First round, Paul's there's a handful of complete miss It's going.
Speaker 3: To be eight to ten guys that you say, eh, yeah, he's okay. And you and here's the here's the thing that happens to and it happens to me all the time. You know all those names because we're doing we do this every year, right, so you really remember those thirty forty names very well, you know, and then you look at, you know, the round five guys that are getting taken today right now, you know, a lot of these names are somewhat familiar to me because you know I but they'll go right out of my mind if they don't hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you know what I mean? Whereas you know what I would just say, like if you say, you know, there's I don't know. It's usually like a fifty percent hit rate in the first round, and then once we get out of the first round, that drops off a cliff, right, yeah, and then once we get into Day three that drops off another play. Sure, So like at least in the first round, you're you're flipping a coin that you're probably going to hit on the player, and if you're good at it, you're in the And.
Speaker 3: The miss in the first round is usually not a guy who's like out of the league, unless you're less like the Raiders.
Speaker 2: At what point in the draft, it's more it's more it's better to be lucky than good, lucky than good, you know, like if you're hitting in fifth, sixth, and seventh round, is that more luck or is it really good?
Speaker 5: It's probably a coin flip between those two probably, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would also say, like I know what your point is, but like if you do that consistently, you have a hard time calling.
Speaker 2: It luck, right, Yeah, Like, but who the Rams.
Speaker 3: Have consistently gotten like really high quality players outside of the first round, now out of necessity because they gave away so many of the first round picks, but they had that that slight up. Then one of the nights of the draft this weekend, and there was like eight guys on that board. None of them were first round picks, you know, and they're all, you know, household names for everybody who watches Rams games like that, At some point, it's not luck. Now if you just you know, you picked Tom Brady in the sixth round, there's an element of fortune to that. I'm not trying to be silly about it. But when you get good, when you get Craig Woodson's yeah, I would say I have a hard time calling that luck through four.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm not talking about the back end of the third. I don't think they were lucky to get Craig Woodson. I think they identified something that.
Speaker 2: Guy like Julian Edelman, that's that's that's a lot. They saw something in him because he was it was a quarterback. They knew he wasn't going to be a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Ye, Bill had no idea and he is. He's admitted it as much. He had no idea what he wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Some yeahpetitor driving him, we can do something with that.
Speaker 5: It's interesting what it is, right, well, I think that's the feeling in these later rounds is what's the one trait? Like, is there one trait? Does he have great size? Does he have great speed? Does he have great quickness? And then see if we can build around them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting. I think that, you know, the Julian Edelman's are probably trailblazers in this regard. But like you see so many of these guys when you're doing research on these players that work quarterbacks and they actually just make the switch in college now you know, like so yeah, yeah, so it's no yah Stowers was one of them. It's no longer the Julian Edelman route of Oh he was a college quarterback all the way through and then he becomes a wide receiver. So I bet you you know, it's probably a little bit to do with Edelman's success and you know why that happened sooner. But you know, Jacobe Myers is one of those guys. He started as a quarterback and then he switched in college to wide receivers, so you see that lesson less now that they position switches once you get to the league.
Speaker 2: Mike and Brooklyn writes and he wants to talk about Raret and he says, I've watched every down and game he played at Notre Dame. Nice, my wife of twelve is a Notre Dame alumnus, so we don't make plans on Saturdays in the fall, we watch the Irish. He's gonna be good. He is too tall to block with a lot of power, but as a crazy athlete, and Notre Dame used his speed and lengthy have him get to key places in the run game. He and Lomu give them a lot of flexibility in how they can block. In the run game at Notre Dame, is ranged to get really wide or to the second third level, helped spring a ton of big runs for love and price. With an athlete like Lomu and May being a run threat and the speed Henderson has, I think they're building a run game built around space and athleticism, not power, and it's really exciting. Really want to know what Evan thinks of this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's definitely a lot of good points I think with Reard and you know his blocking tape, he's definitely at his best when he can get some momentum into the blocks, whether it's in space orts up to the second level, or you know, down blocking on the line of scrimmage, where he's using his athleticism to like create power. You know, if you ask him to just sit there and dig out somebody, you know, at the point of attack, he doesn't really have the raw strength and the you know, the power to kind of displace that defender. But if you give him some momentum, like he was really good at inserting like up through the middle of the line of scrimmage, up to the linebackers at the second level and kind of almost like a full back, you know, leading through the whole, so to speak. So there was a lot of different movement blocks that I thought were impressive. And you know, when we talked to Elliott Wolf yesterday, you know, that's what he said. He said, they want athletes on the offensive line that they want to be a little bit more athletic, and you know, with that is going to probably come with finesse. You know, like that's just naturally a side effect of getting guys that are good athletes, but they'll be fun. I mean, if they they're all of a sudden a you know, more of like a spread space team and Drake Mays and the shotgun a lot and he's surveying and doing his thing like that, that would be a fun brand of football to watch.
Speaker 2: Okay, Anthony and Seattle says, take a.
Speaker 3: Lot of excitement out of the draft with that whole run oriented thing.
Speaker 5: Kind of bummed me out a little bit. Why so, I don't want to be a running team.
Speaker 4: They don't want to be a running team. They're drafting all these athletes because they don't want to move the ball.
Speaker 3: I want to score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I want to move the ball and score.
Speaker 3: Mike, how do you score.
Speaker 4: To score?
Speaker 5: Run to win?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: What was the thing when I asked Elliot Wolf about the athlete.
Speaker 3: I'm being starcastic, everybody.
Speaker 4: The number one thing that he said was pass blocking, because we have a quarterback that's going to drop back to pass a lot. That was his number one thing. And then he got into some of the multiplicity in the run game.
Speaker 3: And I understand like Rabel's thing about being more consistent in the running game with some with some ability to run when you need to run a little bit more effectively. I'm all for that, because that's Mike's cliche. Yeah, that's when you when you run to win, like you throw the score and you run to win. I know that's a cliche, but there's a lot of validity to that.
Speaker 4: I would just say that where I differentiate with the blocking element with the tight end position. When you're blocking out in space and you're blocking up on the move and you're getting the tight end on linebackers and defensive backs, like it's cool to watch that, and like there's there's value to that. That doesn't really make him a blocker in my opinion, like a a guy that's a blocker is a guy that puts his hand in the dirt and can block.
Speaker 7: Any more of a guy who gets in the way and outside linebacker.
Speaker 3: You did that for them last year was Mac Hollins. Yeah right, he was a big time He was really a slot tight end who blocked for them in those kinds of situations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there's nothing I'm not you could do that saying that it's a bad thing. I'm just saying, you know, when we start talking about guys that are true blocking tight ends. I think of the inline guys like Gronk that had to hand in the dirt, and like Gronk could take a three hundred and five pound defensive end and block them. I don't think Raridan is going to be that kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Anthony ciliss I agree with Evan Induced. I think you can make up for a first round miss with second and third round hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. Well, still miss on your first round pick. You're not getting blue chip talent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I mean the exception will be if you somehow you know, I'm blue chip talent in those second and I mean you.
Speaker 3: Can do that once in a while. But you're not getting consistent blue chip talent beyond the.
Speaker 5: First right, Like maybe the acceptable thing is you got a solid player, but not you know, but if you have good players throughout the draft.
Speaker 3: But like, there's a reason why when you look back at the Hall of Fame and you go by round, there's the reason why they're almost all first round.
Speaker 2: Right, sure talent, let's go to the phones eight five five, pats five hundred, Fred, you.
Speaker 3: Lost your chance to get Justin Jefferson. All these years later, he went back into.
Speaker 5: The draft times. Yeah, as a linebacker.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Let's go to Dorchester where Butcher's what's up this Butch turns.
Speaker 8: Big guys looking at talk linebacker here. I feel like every year, even going back to the end of the Belichick days, we're looking for some solution here at inside linebacker, and it seems like, you know, these guys are available around three to five, and they're relatively cheap and free agency, and we just you know, seem to be putting a band aid on the situation here instead of you know, sort of building long term. So we got Splaine and right now, I'd say Alice is starting next to him, and I'm not really sold on Ellis. You know, Gibson's gone, and I actually really liked Gibson for what they asked him to do. kJ Britt, you know, kind of feels like an upgrade over Gibson a little, and you know, I never really thought to buy was was what we needed. He was a liability and coverage. All signs point towards the Missouri kid. We'll see if he's there when when we're up. I kind of like the Byu kid. But you know, are they starters or do we have to look to free agency, and you know, Matt Milano's still out there, maybe a veteran incentive laden deal. We can cut him if it doesn't work type of thing. You know, what are we doing in linebacker here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, lineback? Is it getting harder and harder to find good line Well?
Speaker 4: I would just say that the position itself as a whole has been devalued. And when we talked to Elliott Well before the draft and the pre draft press conference, he highlighted Day three as a sweet spot in this particular class for linebackers. So they have five more picks to make today and I fully expect one of them at least to be a linebacker. Now, maybe it's not the value that the caller is looking for in terms of immediate impact and all that kind of stuff, but you know, I think that they're looking for linebackers today, and I'm sure even at one seventy one they might end up coming out with a linebacker at that bit.
Speaker 5: I totally hear the call, though, I mean, it's a concern of mine. There's only so much you can do in the draft. There's only so many, you know, talented pieces that you can get. But you know, if Spain r Ellis gets hurt. And I mean I like Ellis, I don't. I'm not in love with Elis. I think he's okay to holdover. I mean, they wanted to keep him and he had moments, yeah, but I think ultimately he's not the kind of game changer, you know, and Speling's a little older, and it's just when you look at that, it could be an achilles heel form given it snaps in a reserve role last year.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. kJ Britt. You know, we'll find out.
Speaker 3: I don't know much about I'm not saying that he's not that, but I'm not He hasn't played that much defense, so maybe he can come in and do exactly what Gibbons did or more, and then at least.
Speaker 5: You have some depth there.
Speaker 3: But I would be surprised if they didn't find, you know, another piece. What are the guys I mean, but a kid that got hurt at l s U. Yeah, I just I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on that.
Speaker 4: I'm lying. I I don't like I'm kind of probably say this all the time about other positions. I do linebacker on your own time, Well.
Speaker 3: That's like you say, this whole thing with like the position's been devalued. Just go right down to like how many are on the field. Like when when I started, when I started doing this, they had four linebackers on the field at all times. Now that you're lucky if there's more than two, right, I mean, you need in my opinion, you need three linebacks. You want one guy like Robert Spulaane who's kind of your anchor at that position. You're going to play some standard nickels, so you're going to have a second linebacker like Ellis playing next to him.
Speaker 4: And then you want a super sub like Jack Gibbons. But even Jack Gibbons was like a spot starter and really and a special teamer.
Speaker 3: Like that is going to have to be a special team, right.
Speaker 4: And so like that that role in itself is also you know, ninety percent kicking game anyways, you know the sideline the sideline linebacker thing, like on third down, they're they're going to put an extra defensive back on the field and you're not going to have that guy in coverage.
Speaker 3: Like I know what we concerned I would have is because Robert Sperlane plays so many plays if something were to happen you lost him, Yeah.
Speaker 2: On the stretch last year made a difference, and.
Speaker 3: I and I do think, you know, I do think Gibbons did a good job of filling in for him, and I, you know, I don't know that they have the ability to do that. Yeah, now, you know, maybe they do. Maybe Britain is that maybe Christian Ellis is a little bit better this year and second year or this system.
Speaker 4: I still think some of the linebackers that are available can play. You know, I think, like I said earlier, this this class was touted as this is the sweet spot for the linebackers. And that doesn't mean I'm not saying that as in like they're all it was a bad year for linebackers. Actually a really deep year for linebackers. It just you know, they they a lot of them happened to grade out in like this fourth or fifth round range. So I still think that there's a lot of options of guys that they could get that could at least be that third guy like Jack Gibbons was. Maybe he's not going to replace Robert Spuline. Maybe they're they're not doing that quite yet, But I think there's like four or five guys that you know, I thought were solid players.
Speaker 5: I wonder about the tavaiavit all too, because he never really seemed to fit entirely what they did. They found a role for him kind of as a stand up strong side guy. I mean, they'll stand up Landry, you know, I'm sure they'll stand up Draymond Jones to make that third linebacker. But there's no obvious third linebacker right now. I mean, I feel like Britt is more inside kind of a guy. Do they even want that position? But I just I think back two years ago, I thought that was kind of the poster child for when you don't have linebackers who can get off blocks or get around blocks and make plays, and teams are just grinding you to death. And you paid. You pointed out when Spolen got hurt like twice, and it was weird.
Speaker 3: And that year that you're talking about two years ago, they were terrible.
Speaker 5: Bentley got hurt.
Speaker 3: Bentley got hurt, right, yep, And all of a sudden, that right, and I'm saying, and if something were to happen to Splaine, I'm not sure that you'd just be okay, I mean, right, no, me neither.
Speaker 5: I mean, he just talks so much about how he makes everybody right and he's the communicator, and I mean, don't even talk about the energy that he brings.
Speaker 4: But but where were they going to Like, if they were going to do that, they would have had to have done it last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and one of you guys, one of you guys made the point, like you can't just do everything right now.
Speaker 2: I was listening to one of your shows this morning, Paul, and this is my show, and the kid was, you know, talking about tackle, saying, you know, he wasn't crazy about the pick. But you know, last year they went into the season with no plan. The ste this is the achilles heel this team. They they don't have a plan. And as if, like every year you can address every need, you just can't.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious about this. What did he.
Speaker 2: Mean, like a plan for tackle?
Speaker 5: The plan?
Speaker 3: The plan this year was as plan as the nose in your face. The plan in the draft. Havevn't said it right at the top of the show. I mean, you ask any Patriots fan what their top three needs were, and in some order, it was tackle, edge, tight end. Right, Yeah, those are the three needs. You know, everybody kind of assumed they were going to get a J.
Speaker 4: Brown. So it was.
Speaker 3: Tackle edge tight end and they did it like that's not a plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To push back on that a little bit. Who said that who should.
Speaker 4: I should I be mad?
Speaker 2: Was with Megan Odalini.
Speaker 5: He's planted his flag in. I hate this draft.
Speaker 3: It's not my station, especially after what they did to my boy.
Speaker 5: That's true and my boy.
Speaker 4: So just looking at the linebackers yesterday, because there was a gap in linebackers, they a bunch of them went in the second round and then none until today in the fourth round. So the Patriots took Acis at fifty five, Anthony Hill Junior went at sixty, and there wasn't another linebacker taken until the fourth round, So you know, there was obviously a drop off there. You know, C J. Allen, Anthony Hill Junior, Gold Day. They all went in the second round last night, Trotter.
Speaker 3: So you've seen a lot of these names go off today too, Like you know, keishaan Elliott, I saw you.
Speaker 2: Was it Eliam?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think Kishan Elliott still available?
Speaker 3: Thatcher went he is I think I thought I saw him go.
Speaker 4: No, you saw Kyle Lewis go. Maybe right now, so far Elims or Kendall Daniels, Betcher Lewis, and Justin Jefferson have been drafted at linebacker. But we went from pick twenty six or excuse me, pick yeah twenty eight in the second round.
Speaker 3: Reckon dudes, what great great highlight tape he had. Evan was giggling, Oh you see that, He's like giggling. It was like Kean was saying, it's about time you watch some of these guys.
Speaker 5: Seriously, Well, you do us some of them sometime. You watch these six round picks, right, I mean.
Speaker 4: Would you so you had to address that need at linebacker, and like we all agreed to really addressed address the need, right, you would have had to have done it at fifty five last night, and like who would you have rather had, you know, an off ball linebacker or ais?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you're totally right, And that's you know, this is what you have to choose. You have to make a choice. And there is a little more pressure on Splaine and Elis to be better.
Speaker 3: And I'm not looking to draft a guy. This is kind of back to our larger point about what's your favorite round of the job. I'm not looking for a guy, right, now that can replace Robert Splaine. Yeah, right now. But it's kind of like what they did with Lomu. I'm looking for a guy who I think might have the potential to someday step into a role like that, But this year I'm going to ask him to be a core four special team right and provide some depth in case someone gets banged up. Yep, I'm not asking someone to go out. I'm not. I'm not drafting someone on day three that I'm going to ask to replace Robert Splaine day one. I don't think Robert Splaine, when he was drafted or when he came into the league was capable of doing that.
Speaker 4: It's just interesting to me, you know, you mentioned the special teams element because I think some of you know, these linebackers, like my Guyden Fisher is more of like he wins with his brain, right, like he's winning with instincts, He's winning with feel. I don't know if he has the athleticism necessarily to be like a great player in the kicking game. But then other guys that are great athletes might not have his instincts, but they have the athleticism to play in the kicking game. So if you're kind of dead set on the guy that you draft being somebody that plays you know, is like a Core four special team or like, you know, that might be a little bit of a different type of player than someone that you're projecting is gonna play on defense. So it'd be interesting to see how they kind of split that because I don't know if Fisher has as the Jack Kelly from b YU who some people like Kayshaun Elliott might have it, you know, I don't know if they have the athleticism to go out there and play in space like that in the kicking game.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I grew up in the days of you know, Willie Lanier and Jack Lambert and you know even Andre Tippett and and Steve Nelson's Lawrence Taylor. They were linebackers, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, so those guys are Andre Tippett and Lawrence Taylor are now like Miles Garrett, like, you don't call them linebackers.
Speaker 2: But back then they were linebackers.
Speaker 3: Right, But they were pass rushers. They would stand up edge rushers. Now they now, both of those guys could cover, but that's not what they made their living doing. Those guys were really edge rushers, the Jack Lambert's and the William Laniers that you're talking about. This is Evans Lament. There's not they don't have those linebackers now that you know, like Ted Johnson, you know just couda come up and fill the gap, take on the you know, yeah, take take on the blocks and fill gaps. And it's it's more you need sideline to sideline, three down guys who can cover a little bit tackle the athletes to be able to match up with some of these running backs that are so prevalent now in the passing game.
Speaker 4: It's hard, hard position.
Speaker 2: Ray Lewis was sort of like the last of the breed where he could thump, he could cover, he could go sidelines to sideline, he could do it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I just you know, for me, like linebackers, like I want my linebackers going forward if the guys that are covering, like what, let's get the dbs to cover, right, like the guys. I don't want my linebackers being in high stress coverage situations like if it's third down, I'm taking that linebacker off the field. Maybe, Like you have one linebacker, you know, splain would that's what it is?
Speaker 3: One guy. Yeah, and but he would blitz like he would have and it's basically just in case they run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like he would play. He would blitz or he'd mirror or or you know whatever. He wouldn't be like covering somebody you know, one on one too often. So I I think I feel like that has also kind of played role. You know, teams are playing so much nickel and dime defense now that you don't even really need the guys you know that can match up on running backs like that. I think that's even getting a little bit more extinct too.
Speaker 2: Do you think we'll ever see the cycle kind of go back to needing those types of linebackers.
Speaker 4: I think, in my opinion, it's going back to the guys that can take on blocks like because you're trying to stop the run out of these lighter boxes and if you don't have guys that can come downhill and fill and basically count as extra defensive linemen to take back gaps, then it gets really really difficult. So I actually think that in a lot of cases now you can beat two hundred and twenty five pounds in fill a gap. You just do it with speed to power instead of just like raw size. But you know we saw it like Josiah Trotter went last night really really early. Like that's because he is a really, really good run defending linebacker. Like he's not a coverage player, you know, he's a really good run defender. I think some of these teams are looking at it and saying, you know, we're going to play a six man bob, So our mic is going to have to be able to compress space. They're gonna have to take on blocks, They're going to have to be able to make plays against the run. You know, let the safeties cover people, let the corners cover people. You know, this guy's going to go downhill.
Speaker 2: All right? Eight five to five pass five hundred is the hotline. Let's go to Sean and Vancouver. What's up Sean.
Speaker 9: He's like a few things, you know. Joe Kim believed that Gay Bachis would be a Patriot. How much of the New England Patriots connection worked the other way to convince the Paths. Also, safety Jalen Kilgar seems to be falling a bit. What do you think of him as a Patriot if he's still available? Last thing, what do you think about nose tackle Tim Keenan the third. Could he be a tong replacement. I'll let you go on that.
Speaker 5: He's the comp. He was the comp and in NFL dot Com. Yeah, I think. I mean I'd probably if I had to bet right now, I might roll the dice on those tackle at this spot coming up.
Speaker 4: I think the Godfather is still out there too, Timmy Keenan. When I watched him, was I mean, there's no pass rush there, Dad died. He is a situational He's gonna play on first down, He's gonna play on short yardage, goal line. He's not going to play at all in passing situations. So I I you know, I think Dane had him like a late Day three pick just because of how you know, small over role he's gonna play. Kilgore I think is falling because he's kind of like a specialized like he's a nickel. I think he's gonna play in the slot. But I you can want you need to have a role for that, Like if you don't want to play a big nickel like that, then you know there's a lot of teams that that just rules out that kind of player altogether.
Speaker 2: All Right, Connor wants to know do you think the Patriots would have taken Eli Raridan regardless, or do you think Chris Bell was the pick if the Dolphins didn't snag him one pick earlier.
Speaker 5: I'd go question. I mean, I'd lean with what they did. I just tight ends a bigger need. It's a position we talked about. We're assuming A. J. Brown is going to be coming in. That's the way I would lean in. And Paul's thing Bell was, you know, maybe you're gonna have to store him for a little while. Maybe east he opens up on pup. But yeah, I'm interested to know how they viewed this whole tight end class. I mean, we'll never know, but there were a lot of good a lot of good players. But I'm excited about Ard and I. It's funny you go back and you look at your notes and I'm like, yeah, I really like this kid. Why was I not really on him as much? And you know, it just kind of happens when you're sifting through all these guys. But now it's just thinking about it last night, getting to see him on the field with the link that he has, it's gonna be intriguing. You know, see how Drake responds to that just so much. I mean out of the gate in training camp, you felt like, now he likes Matt Collins, like he's throwing the ball to Matt Collins a lot. And I and I was talking about Brian. I was talking to Brian Horror today about it. I just said, you know, is there did you have types of receivers that you struggled to build chemistry with because they were smaller? And I forget the name of the receiver he told me about, but he said that, yes, he.
Speaker 2: Was wanted like children from Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Day's not a Patriot guy.
Speaker 5: It's like a Cleveland guy. It was like a Cleveland guy. But he said, you know in the receiver said it it's so hard because you can't see me and I can't see you.
Speaker 4: And he was like, you know, when he catched the ball, it'd be like whoa.
Speaker 5: You know, you wouldn't see it until it's right here, you know. So I and and it's just a general Drake thing. I think he just likes seeing those targets. I mean, Drake's got good size, he doesn't have a problem scanning the field. But I'm excited that I think rare And is going to fit exactly that kind of mold that that Drake likes to throw.
Speaker 4: Tom Yeah, it's interesting the I don't feel like fans, you know, think about sometimes you just can't see the guy, like so it's easy, like when you watch it from like a bird's eye view and it's like, oh, this guy's open, right, but like the screen cap, but like some guys you know, there's yeah, or like the lineman flash in front of his face, or like a guy kind of hides and it's actually his skill as a receiver to like if he can't see you, then you can't see him, right, So like the receivers are supposed to know that if I can't make eye contact with the quarterback right now and he can't see me, so I need to move, Like I'm not in a good place with that. So it's funny how that happens. Sometimes. There was one I can't remember exactly what play it was, but there was one play last year of the year before where Drake missed a guy open over the middle of the field and he's like, honestly, I couldn't see him.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys, not a lot, but you see some guys regardless of the color of their uniforms, they wear those bright yellow receiving gloves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you think.
Speaker 2: That has anything to do with Maybe that flashes and my quarterback sees it a little better.
Speaker 4: Maybe I remember Edelman. Edelman talked about how Bill would have them wear receiver gloves if they were the same color as the jersey of the opponent, right, so that the whole for holding, so that they couldn't see where their hands. The refs couldn't see the hands as well on the jerseys, so they would like camouflage into the jersey.
Speaker 5: So you can't wear teal gloves against the Dolphins on the Patriots.
Speaker 4: So they just have like a bunch of different colored gloves and like if they're playing a team with like dark colored jur they put the black gloves on, and like jerseys, they put the white gloves on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I told him that I just hate when they weigh the yellow gloves because he always looks like a flag. Yeah you're watching TV, you know, like, oh, it's a flag, right, No, it's just a glove.
Speaker 2: Eddie and la fun draft so far, I personally would have liked howl over August. I want to say yakis, but I know it's ocus achus, but I see the potential with Akis, so I can't keep playing. Uh So, say Campbell isn't suited for a left tackle, would it be smart to try him at right tackle and then guard or would you move him straight to guard and try Lamu Lamou at left tackle? Just some thoughts and how you would go about fixing the line if things don't work out.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just whatever you do, I don't want to weaken two spots at once. So you know, if you're a Tucker is in the left guard spot and he's playing well.
Speaker 4: Then where he's very Tucker going. If you're right Campbell left guard and it's very Tucker going to right guard, I guess, and then maybe on when he was out, And like, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, we're just possible.
Speaker 3: I think that the larger rather than worrying about sides is would you try Campbell at right tackle before you tried to move them to guard?
Speaker 4: I'm going to play with Will Campbell at left tackle? No, no, no, this hype efect.
Speaker 2: You need to I don't like.
Speaker 3: No, I don't need I don't know why we have to entertain this like this, this whole I'm gonna I want to explore this further during the course of the off season around the room a little this utter refusal, like I don't care who plays left tackle as long as they're the best left tackle on the team.
Speaker 4: I think he's the best left tackle on the team. I understand that That's not what I'm not saying.
Speaker 3: It's trying to suggest that low moom is better at left tackle than Will Campbell. So then where what would you do with Will Campbell in that case?
Speaker 5: Would you to me that is.
Speaker 4: Just hypotheticals, Like we're just making things up, right, So why.
Speaker 3: Like, because it's a possibility. That's why, I mean a possibility. That's why you create competition on your roster so you see the best player is can we see.
Speaker 4: The guy play in pads in an NFL practice before we start saying if that is happening, if you.
Speaker 3: Like, you need to open your mind a little bit, like no one said this is happening.
Speaker 5: Okay, but we don't know.
Speaker 3: In an emailer has I think a very legitimate question, would you just automatically I'm.
Speaker 4: Not trying to guard I just feel like.
Speaker 2: We just don't want to entertain it, right.
Speaker 3: It's like, because everybody likes the guy, I love the kid too. No, he's not talking to my wife at the welcome party. I thought it was great.
Speaker 5: I love somebody as good.
Speaker 2: As you know, Like somebody tells Evan, you know somebody in your family could get sick. No they can't. I'm just not gonna like that.
Speaker 3: Where no one wants to even bring up the possibility that I hear it, because like it just I'm not whatever.
Speaker 4: I I just like we're talking about because we're talking about a guy that played at a really high level I think at that position for fourteen weeks. Then he tore his mcut and then you don't think that. I mean, he had one bad game against Miles Garrett. Are we gonna We're gonna, We're gonna.
Speaker 5: Bras the game. I mean, like I think there was a lot of like really late pressure.
Speaker 3: I mean I know that the set, Like you just look at the sack total at the end of that game and it looks like you got killed. I don't really think he got killed that game. I know we gave up five sacks, but.
Speaker 4: A couple of them were well out of the.
Speaker 3: Pocket, and Miles Garret is just a superior athlete and ran them down.
Speaker 5: But I would I.
Speaker 4: Think that he can. We just think he's give it some time before we broach the subject, like let's watch the season unfold away.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand now that we have to get time.
Speaker 2: I hear you, Evan. I'm, like I've said many times, I'm team Campbell. However, they just drafted a guy who all he's played is left tackle.
Speaker 3: That's kind of why Evan doesn't really love to pick.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: And and so you know it's right, like yeah, and some people think that, yeah, Will Campbell played at a very high level against the lesser competition in the league, and when you know, things got a little bit more heated later on, you didn't do well. Now, a lot of that could been the injury. I give you that, But people are just you know what if so.
Speaker 4: You're thinking about this all wrong about what I'm saying, like has nothing to do with that. I like the guy, Okay, this is about let's move this guy over here, and let's move that guy over there, and then you know, like that's just magically going to make them all better. Well you know, but but no, But the thing that I'm saying is is that moving Will Campbell inside to guard or flipping him to right tackle. There's no guarantee that he's a better left guard or right tackle than he is a left tackle. True, and actually in reality it's like a lot harder than people are giving it, like credence for it.
Speaker 2: That's an even darker it could be. But but on the other hand, if he's not doing well at left tackle, you don't want to just scuttle him. You want to find a place for him because you think he's a good football player.
Speaker 4: Okay, but you're we're all just assuming that ince same thing with Loomb But we're all just assuming he can play right No, assuming that Will is gonna be want the left guard and he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be I won a great a fairness of the other night when they picked Lomu. I had said to Mike, like, well, what if he can't do that? Like, I don't know what Lomu is. Guy's never played an NFL game, ain't right, So like this might be a completely moved point, But I.
Speaker 5: Just I just can I answer it? Yeah, I'll just say I would wait till twenty twenty seven, and if it happened, I would let one you walk and I would slide verit. Tucker to right guard, and I would put Will Campbell at left guard.
Speaker 3: That to me not in favor of that. I think that's a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 4: Well, Ver Tucker's played right guard, he has played right guard. Yeah, I know, it's just a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 5: He's a left left guard, Will Campbell be I think that that probably would be where it would be. But I don't see the need to do it this year, you know, I I mean, I think about injury in that. But in that scenario, who plays right tackle? Morgan Moses.
Speaker 2: Could probably find it.
Speaker 5: Right soon to be desired a third straight year of a the third straight year of a tackle.
Speaker 3: He can't Spaah Tucker at right guard? Who plays right tackle? What I said, they don't have one who's on third. But I think that's what the crux of the thing is. I understand Evan's point. He doesn't necessarily want to get bogged down on hypotheticals. And this is typical of my shows. This is a typical my show hypothetical. I grant you that, But if that were to happen, if you felt like Lomu, Let's say, Lomu is really good, but is one of those guys that Belichick and Dante have talked about he's not comfortable on the right side and he's really good. Maybe Campbell is comfortable moving, so maybe Campbell's fine, but he has more of an ability to play right tackle than Lomu does. Maybe maybe he's just a natural switch. So that's a positive way to look at now, yet to really good tackles, to just fix the whole thing, well Campbell thing that That is what happened at Utah. Spencer Finol came to Utah with Lomu, and the Utah coaching staff said, we think Lomu can only play the left side, and so we're going to ask Spencer Fane, who's actually was drafted higher.
Speaker 4: He's the first tackle. Yeah, and some people think was, you know, the better player. We're actually going to ask him to play on the right side, which is unconventional because Lomu is really a left tackle only player. And so that for that reason was a big reason why I wrote off Lomu as somebody.
Speaker 3: They were just also similar to Missouri. Last year you had Arman membu Yah was the first round pick right tackle. In our own Marcus Bryant was the seventh round pick left tackle. Now, obviously there's a much closer gap between the two Utah guys. They were both first round talents and first round picks. But it was the same kind of thing. When I talked to the Missouri line coach, they went out and got Marcus Bryant, I believe from SMU from the memory correctly, and they plugged him right in on the left side because they thought Membu was more comfortable where he was and they didn't want to disrupt that.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to Evan's story about Lomu at Utah and Fino, So if that's the case, they didn't think he could play on the right side. Do you think the Patriots you know about that story. I would think the Patriots scouting would know about that story too and have talked to them about that. And maybe in the years since, you know now, do you think he could play right time?
Speaker 7: You think so they've talked about that with Utah probably, And look, that was just you know, one person's interpretation of you know what happened, you know what was what was being talked about.
Speaker 2: But they.
Speaker 4: They felt like Finoa was more comfortable switching, so they switched. Fine, The Patriots said after the draft on Thursday night that he took past sets at right tackle at his pro day and looked pretty good getting in out of his stance at right tackle. Because everything's flipped right, you're not just your hands but also your feet, so you know, the foot that you're kicking out of your stance with is now the opposite foot. So they said that, you know, he looked pretty comfortable doing it. He's played thirty two snaps in his entire collegiate career on the right side. It's not even a full game, so we haven't really seen him do it yet.
Speaker 5: You know, he didn't do it at a.
Speaker 4: College All Star game that I'm aware of, Like, so he really hasn't done it in pads yet. So we'll see, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering the people at Utah who know him the best, say the stuff that we saw that we thought would keep him being able to play right tackle back then, he's improved on those things and now it's it's different now we think he could probably make that transition. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I hope, So, I mean I hope that's the case. And you know, look, maybe maybe we end up getting into a place where it's will Campbell, that's switching because he's more comfortable switching. I don't know, I just I keep going back to, you know, the things that I've been told about offensive line play, and everybody thinks that it's just so easy to play musical chairs on the offensive line. We're just gonna move this guy on this side to that side, and that side to this side, and he's going to go inside and that guy's gonna go outside. And like all the line coaches that I've ever talked to say, no, you can't do it like that. And you know, that was a big thing that you know, Dante Scarnekia used to say, was like they used to just do one for one substitutions because they wanted to just instead of weakening two spots, they were just weaken one with the backup going in right directly for that spot. That's how you get, you know, the Jordan Devies, you know, starting games for the Patriots. So like, you know, I just that's why I get annoyed by the question, not because of the Will Campbell piece of it. It's the assumption, you know, we're just going to be able to move everybody around and it's gonna end up being better than it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is good.
Speaker 5: I just I think it's worth pointing out to that Utah ran a run first offense. So I don't know that the left tackle right tackle thing in the traditional sense of the way that we're thinking about it is exactly applicable to how they were playing. So there might be some nuance there where you know, there are po heavy team like, I don't know, it's not the traditional drop back passing where you know what I mean, there might be some more nuance to that decision than being so simple as.
Speaker 3: He's better on the left. But I think that the I mean, again, I say this all the time. I'm not an offensive line expert, but to me, the the change is the difficulty in going from left to right is really less to do with the style of offenses. Is everything is backwards, so whether you're run blocking or pass blocking, you're doing it from the opposite side.
Speaker 5: Like so yeah, basically.
Speaker 3: You're there's just not you know what I mean, is kind of mirrored.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean this is I mean, I'm thinking off the top of my head here though, But you know, is it easier as a run blocker where I'm mostly just coming off and going off to my right rather than your kick stepping back to the right side and trying to you know, get you know what I mean past block guys like I am. I'm not saying that it's a total difference. There just might be some nuance in.
Speaker 4: There with it.
Speaker 2: All right, it's three o'clock. We're on about the one hundred and sixty fourth pick. Patriots are sitting at the one hundred and seventy first pick. So let's take up right when we come back, it'll be that much closer to when the Patriots make their fifth round pick. We'll be right now.
Speaker 11: Any of my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from Jelett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well afflex this contours to it, so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate je Leet shaving experience.
Speaker 12: The best of me I can get is je Lett Labs.
Speaker 13: The future with AI will twist unturned. Cisco is the critical infrastructure for.
Speaker 14: The AI era, clearing your path to wide open possibility. Cisco, let there.
Speaker 15: Be ideas too big to stay ideas and the software to make them sore. Let there be anything Autodesk.
Speaker 11: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from to let Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change it well a flex. This contours to it, so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 12: The best of me I can get is to let lapse.
Speaker 13: The future with AI will twist u turned. Cisco is the critical infrastructure for the AI era, carrying your path to wide open possibility.
Speaker 14: Cisco, let there.
Speaker 15: Be ideas too big to stay ideas and the software to make them sore. Let there be anything Autodesk.
Speaker 11: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from je let lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change it well to flex. This contours to it, so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 12: The best to me I can get just to let lapse.
Speaker 13: The future with AI will twist unturned. Cisco is the critical infrastructure for.
Speaker 14: The AI era, carrying your path to wide open possibility. Of Cisco, let.
Speaker 15: There be ideas too big to stay, ideas and the software to make them sore. Let there be anything, Autodesk.
Speaker 11: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from je let lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face game change well a flex This contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 12: The best to make can get is to let lapse.
Speaker 13: The future with AI will twist unturned. Cisco is the critical infrastructure for the AI era. Hearing your paths to wide open possibility of Cisco.
Speaker 15: Let there be ideas too big to stay ideas and the software to make them sore. Let there be anything, Autodesk.
Speaker 1: Dy Welcome back to the twenty twenty sixth Patriots on Filter Draft show, the New England Patriots slide presented by Toyota's official website. For deals, buy a Toyota dot com.
Speaker 4: These guys that have been picniced and are so like Abney happy.
Speaker 5: For I know they were back.
Speaker 2: Oh we are back.
Speaker 3: I know the running back from Penn State.
Speaker 2: Just crossing off another back of the envelope. Guy Tanner Cozy from Houston.
Speaker 5: It was like a six foot seven middles cooler, Like he just had such a baby face, but he was a giant dude. And he's behind the podium at the combine and I was like, Oh, who's this guy? And then he like stepped down and like, oh my god, he's a huge kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Remind me of a lot of Mike Sicky. Like good receiving, tight end, great hands, great intested catchability, not a blocker, all right.
Speaker 2: Penn State took Nicholas Singleton running back.
Speaker 4: Tennessee took Nicholas Sington from Tennessee. Draft players.
Speaker 2: Right popped in nicol Penn State got taken by Tennessee. Uh so the Bears are on the clock.
Speaker 4: Those guys back to back.
Speaker 3: For about four picks away at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back to back picks coming up. So I wonder what bill.
Speaker 3: Does Bills are in the fifth round. They had two picks earlier.
Speaker 4: In the round two, fourth round they got work around Patriots. They had back to back fourth round picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big Day three team.
Speaker 4: They took Skylar Bell with the Patriots. Skyline picked Patriots trader.
Speaker 2: This is a humane draft for the Bills. This is the beginning of their new era.
Speaker 5: Oh Fred is the we're opening the window.
Speaker 2: At the new stadium, you know, new right.
Speaker 4: It is interesting that obviously he's a he's you know, was their offensive coordinator, but they have a new defensive coordinator, Jim Leonard, and like the system is, you know, defensively, looks like it's going to change pretty significantly. Like I don't think t. J. Parker would have been their type of guy in a four to three and like their old type of system. So it's interesting to see what Buffalo is, you know, transitioning to these days. Kesehawn Elliott just went so one of the another one of those linebackers.
Speaker 2: Yep, so Bill's Bill steal As Brown's Patriots coming up. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is the fifth round of the draft. At this point, you know, who knows what their board looks like. I go back to the question I poorly asked of Elliott two days ago. But you know, at this point, how do you know when it's time to trade up? Or I mean, are there less trades when you get into Day three or are there more trade It's because I mean, maybe you see somebody that you really really like and you'd say, screwed, we gotta go get him, but at this point, don't you feel like you just kind of sit and wait and see what's there when you get there and hopefully make a quality pick. Uh, let's see Mike, and may add not playing that's fine, he didn't like it to add.
Speaker 2: Fuel to the fire. According to Kadlake's x account, starting five from left to right will be Lomu, Campbell, Wilson, You, and Vera Tucka.
Speaker 5: This was Evan. It's about to go.
Speaker 4: He said that if he said something about can you read that again?
Speaker 2: Left tackle?
Speaker 5: Vera Tucker is going to play right tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He got roasted for this take. He got roasted so bad for the take that he replied to the tweet with a revised version and said, Okay, all right, I get you know, Mike, don't back up, Mike gun.
Speaker 3: I'm not even gonna if that's Evan was well aware of that.
Speaker 4: You know what my guys are doing right along? Then I just love sending it in the group text like we're going to make a guard attack in the rookie got left hock.
Speaker 5: I just imagine the textbox up from ev and it's just like, what is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Because a lot of like so much fun.
Speaker 2: The thing that I was thinking about this morning when one of your guys was talking about, you know, they don't have a plan. They should have done all this stuff last year, all this stuff right as if you can do it. These guys are playing fantasy football, some of these analysts, these quote analysts.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's not they need a wr one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not. It's not how it works. You just can't do everything every year.
Speaker 4: Honestly though, like I was in game, as I do, I was thinking about this last night on my ride home. Their roster looks pretty darn good on paper right now.
Speaker 5: It's not bad, especially Patriots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't have any huge hole, especially if you are we're all assuming A J. Brown is going to be a part of this in a month.
Speaker 3: I mean, they did a really good job and a really short amount of time of filling a lot of hole.
Speaker 2: Like talk about depth issues in certain case.
Speaker 4: Theftball linebacker is the depth issue right now. But like you know, they were talking about Lomu, you know, having a little bit of guard flexibility maybe as a rookie if he's backing up, you know, kind of four spots. You know, if that it comes to that, you know, I don't know if you'd necessarily have all this major depth issues on the offensive line because you still have Ben Brown who can back up three spots on the interior. If you know Lomu can be your swing tackle. I mean that, how much more do you like NFL caliber depth on the line? To people say, what.
Speaker 2: Bround was Joe Tuney taken or fourth? If he had been a first round pick and still had the same career where he's kind of like this guy that can play a lot, would that have been a good first round pick?
Speaker 5: I mean, it's we get into the guard thing, but yeah, but he's a Hall of Fame guard, so yeah, I would say probably a late.
Speaker 3: First round pick would have been. Yeah, he's a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: You guys know, I keep my Nerd depth chart here and I would just say that the three spots I have left, like I have red spots of where I think they need depth lest that guard, you know guard, I think they needed Michael When is going to be up. And regardless you.
Speaker 2: Got Ben Brown.
Speaker 5: He's a good swing guy, but I think you need one more young guard, a nose tackle, and an off the ball linebacker. Those are the three spots I have left that I'd like to get some depth pieces. They don't have to be immediate contributors, but maybe guys that develop behind the scenes. But you know, after that, I'm pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say big pitcher for the whole roster. I agree that I think they've done an amazing job filling a lot of holes in a year and a year plus right last year and now so far this year. I would say one thing that would say, you know, they've addressed it, but we'll see if it works. So wide receiver where you're gonna have AJ Brown, most likely in Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 5: Do they work? Yeah, So if they work, now you've given Drake.
Speaker 3: May As, let's just say minimally as much as you gave him last year, if not more, probably more, I would say more, right, depending on Brown.
Speaker 4: As long as that yeah, as long as that works.
Speaker 3: Now, if A. J. Brown's knees are shot and he's not you know, when he is on the decline and Romeo Dobbs kind of is what he is. He's just sort of a complimentary piece and nothing more, then you're probably gonna still be looking for some more weapons for for Drake may Next year.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe I like a Brown, we've addressed it.
Speaker 3: You can't say they didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a J. Brown, Romeo Dobbs and whoever wins out for the third Kyle Williams or maccollins or Booty or Pop are still on the roster at that point. Henry now rear it in. Yeah, you're blocking tight end and Julian Hill, and you also have Ramandre and Trevon Henderson as your two backs.
Speaker 12: Help.
Speaker 2: It's it's a pretty damn good roster.
Speaker 4: And you have all five offensive lineman figured out.
Speaker 3: The roster's gotten better, uh dramatically in just two seasons. Like, I don't know if you could ask much more out of these guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know, like the one spot I you know, would say in terms of high end talent, like we talked about receiver, like you know Akis has got a hit. You know, like akis Is is going to have to be you know, a double digit sack guy. You know, they don't really have that kind of player without him, you know, hitting his ceiling as a player. But even like I, you know a lot of people are talking about you know, well, they still need depth of safety, like Craig Woodson and Kevin Byrd is a pretty darn good starting safety.
Speaker 3: Exciting, right, And the reason I bring up the wide receiver thing, right is because if it works out that let's just say it's the worst case scenario and A J. Brown doesn't work, so he's probably going to be a one and done. They'll probably find a way to move on from him if he's not good. So now you'd have Dobbs next year. And then Mike has been talking about this for months. You know, the rest of the receivers basically are up, so you're really going to be looking for weapons in the passing game next year if it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Work out with the guys, guy, if A J.
Speaker 3: Brown is a twelve hundred yard receiver and Romeo Dobbs can go from you know, a complimentary piece to like a one A.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you're draft back hit. Jerry Smith from the Buckeyes.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jerry Rice Jerry Well.
Speaker 4: The good news is that even besides Jeremiah Smith right now, on paper, it's a loaded wide receiver class next year, Like there's probably gonna be you know, some I would say at least three, if not number one, like true, like first round blue chip kind of receivers. Obviously, Jeremiah Smith's in his own stratosphere. But it's a good class, you know. But I just looked at you know, their their hour lads depth chart as work it does for hour, and I mean I was kind of like I got it. Maybe I'm a homer, but like, this looks like a pretty good roster, especially when you consider that Drake may is the quarterback and Mike Rabel's the coach. Like it's it's a pretty good team.
Speaker 5: I would agree.
Speaker 2: Simon California says, as a former offensive lineman and lifelong football fan, I'm disappointed in the Patriots drafting a left tackle who needs to build strength but had great pass protection skills in a run first Utah offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Will Campbell played through injury and has a mentality similar Logan Mankins. Meanwhile, one of the knocks and Lomo is his attitude to punish people. I hope for the best, but one hundred percent agree with Evan. We should have picked an edge at thirty one and got Markel Bell in the third round. And for Deuce, if you had to switch from left to right defense and hockey, how would that affect you?
Speaker 5: No problem? I mean you just slightly adjust it doesn't I mean, it's basically I would just say the breakouts and you know, both ends. So I'm playing on the wall. I got my stick on the left side easier than I'm on the right side.
Speaker 3: I gotta catch it if.
Speaker 4: You're gonna play pept I think.
Speaker 3: Five five left shots, I believe.
Speaker 4: Isn't it easier to play with your stick on the side of the boards though.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, I mean technically it is, but it's not that hard to just catch it on your back hand.
Speaker 2: It's something.
Speaker 5: But I didn't hear them what you got, Maddie.
Speaker 2: I was just making a joke.
Speaker 5: I said, you should sniff after that, duce.
Speaker 4: Oh well, sailors pick is in out one sixty nine. The Browns are on the clock at one seventies, so the Patriots might actually be on the clock.
Speaker 3: H Yeah, Buffalo didn't want to own the fifth round. By the way, they traded the second one of these.
Speaker 2: They took the kill guy that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a like a big nickel, And like I said earlier, I really liked him. But you have to have a role in mind for a player like that, Like if that's not that role doesn't already exist in your defense. It's hard to just kind of create it out of thin air.
Speaker 2: Evan going into last year, thought Campbell was the best option among him, Membu and Banks. Does he feel the same today. Each had pretty similar seasons and Campbell finished poorly.
Speaker 4: I think that, yes, But you know, realistically, probably maybe a little bit closer between Campbell and Banks. I mean, membuo played right tackle, and he played right tackle in college, and he played right tackle for the Jets, So I'm not I'm just kind of not counting that one as much. But you know, Banks also didn't play the Chargers, the Texans, the Broncos in Seattle, and we didn't get to see the exposure of what he would have.
Speaker 2: Looked like against after an injury, four of the best.
Speaker 4: Pass rushers in football. So I didn't get hurt last year. I hadn't heard that.
Speaker 3: Snarky snarky ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Don and Philly. With Rabel not being available today, has Elliott reached out to Evan about selecting any of his my guys a little disrespectful if not?
Speaker 4: Has he?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: He has not.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 16: No, I.
Speaker 4: Will say the seventh round pick.
Speaker 5: I will say no because Nancy Meyer, I think is going to make a pick today and you know, shout out Nancy Meyer. This is probably one of her I mean, this is I think if for her last fifty one you know, season's been nineteen seventy four. One of my favorite moments of Super Bowl Week was that the party Paul you and I went up to Nancy. We you know, took a great picture with her, and she's just been so sweet to me. I mean, it's it's she is the Patriots.
Speaker 4: It's like I look at her.
Speaker 5: I mean, her and Tip are the two that have been here for every single Super Bowl and it's just such a wonderful person.
Speaker 3: And I'm you know, when we talk about all these things like like thirty visits and you know, when we picked these players and they come in and they you know, they get come to the organization. Nancy Meyers the clock and helping, you know, with all the logistics of all that kind of stuff. She is a truly special person.
Speaker 4: Even get into the combine this year where we all had to go through the snowstorm to get to Indianapolis. H you know, just organizing so that Elliott and the scouting staff can all get to Indianapolis. And all the different flights and rental cars and all the different things that you know, they had to jump through. I remember my first time flying on the plane and the Patriots are on the clock. So this is a longer story.
Speaker 2: So let's just you know, with Nancy and all the you know, the twenty dark years of Bill where we were the enemy and you couldn't talk to anyone and they couldn't talk to you. She was always, you know, nice and kind and always love the newspaper, always making sure there were copies down there for everybody.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So she wasn't, you know, like the others.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now, I mean I she didn't. She didn't pick my change my flight. But when I got to Indy, she was there.
Speaker 4: She's like hop in with us, Mike.
Speaker 5: She's a sweetheart.
Speaker 2: So the pick is in for the Patriots. Who is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I see who it is?
Speaker 5: I have not seen it?
Speaker 4: See yeah, who it is?
Speaker 5: Position will be on the defensive side of the ball in the secondary. I'm buying time right now. So someone I thought we weren't saying now, I'm not gonna tip it. I'll wait till we see it on on on Twitter. But and I did know this is the time nough where it's just I don't like I said, there's three positions I think they need at this point.
Speaker 12: B p A.
Speaker 5: If there's a guy in a positions it's not even one of those, but you really like them, go for it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it should be this position. So you got your depth, all right?
Speaker 5: So it's out by Jordan Schultz, it's a wake Forest cornerback. Karen Prunty. Prunty, Yeah, carry did.
Speaker 4: I don't even I think this guy's in the beast. I'm not gonna lie to you, which is a first for for Dan Brugler. I'm not super familiar with him either. I I know that they had him in for a pre draft visit and it wasn't There weren't many teams that you know, had him in for visits. I think he only had a couple. He played some safety, if I remember correctly. So I don't know if he's going to be a corner or if he's going to be a safety at the next level. But you know, this is a guy that we kind of were talking about, right, you know, cornerback depth, safety depth, maybe special teams, you know, I would say most likely, but definitely sort of a hidden gem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, there is some film with him if you're interested. From Wake forest on on the tweet machine. Had had four visits during the pre draft process, one with the Patriots, So he is in the.
Speaker 4: Beast, but he's uh, he's in there as a priority free agent and he does not have a profile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's among the best of the rest, is he not? Because I'm looking at the cornerbacks and he's not on my top forty two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is cornerback fifty seven. Again, this is just Dane's rankings. Yeah, yeah, and he's a He has him as a UDFA grade in his and doesn't even have strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on our lads, you know, they ranked from ten to zero and the lowest grade is a two point five. He's at a two point nine to two.
Speaker 3: So he's got to be a special teams guy with some with some traits that they think can can contribute in special teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, four, four, five, forty nothing you know, too special. But it does look like he has some size to him.
Speaker 2: So does he return kicks at all or anything like that.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 4: The week into that I remember about him because they did have him in for a pre draft visit was that he played a little bit of both safety and cornerback in college. So maybe special teams guy, maybe some depth on the roster at you know, maybe both of those positions, one those positions. I guess we'll see where they end up playing him. But you know, someone that is pretty off the beaten path. They picked the guy that, I mean when he doesn't even have it right up in the that's when you.
Speaker 5: Know that goes is now, Like we have people we work with who have to are scrambling to find highlights.
Speaker 3: Some random guy that this is gonna be why we're going to be hearing about this week.
Speaker 5: All right, and Matista, if you're listening, don't text me for an expert announces.
Speaker 3: Right now, let's not be making it up off the top of.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised a little bit just the fact that, you know, there's some linebackers especially that are so on board. Now they have three six round picks, so maybe they feel like the some of those linebackers are are going to make it to them in the sixth round. But you know, I, I don't know, you know where this guy slots in in terms of being able to contribute you know, on the actual defense versus contributing on special teams. But you know, whether it was Perkins, you know, Aiden Fisher, Jack Kelly, Deontay lost In, I know has some injury history, Red Murdoch from Buffalo, like those are all guys that people projected at that linebacker position that they thought we're going to be able to be you know, decent players even at safety. You know, guys like VJ. Payin is still available, Bishop Fitzgerald, Lewis Moore. So I thought that there were some guys that actually could still potentially contribute, you know, on defense, that it was still available, and they went with with Prunty, who I'm not super familiar with.
Speaker 2: Okay, well they it'll be interesting to hear, is it Elliott that's going to talk today? Yes, So I'm sure you know that'll be the question, what did what do you know about this guy? Why do you like him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why did you pick him in the fifth round? So we'll say about that. So now the next pick is how long.
Speaker 5: I think they're the tenth in the next round, so it's uh not to not too long. It is we're one seventy two and they got to get ninety one ninety one, so about nineteen picks. Ye picks in yah, we go.
Speaker 3: In the next two picks, So.
Speaker 5: He might make we might make it to those maybe me, I don't know, but it is interesting. This is just another day three cornerback Marcella's style Kobe Minor, uh, now you add punty to that mix. Brandon Crossley was a practice squad guy last year. Can someone emerge from that group? Can someone? I thought last year Mark Marcello's style actually was starting to show a little bit.
Speaker 3: This a lot like Kobe Minor to me in my mind, like probably has some fish. They think he can play on special teams and then we'll see, you know, like Marcellus dial and I know, like people laugh at me because I'm so disinterested in like these kinds of things. But he developed into a really really good guy on the punting, like a really good vice guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was a hole that they they thought enough to fill out. I think that's kind of what led to Chucky Trees when they went out and got Charles Woods early in the year. They needed a guy that could fill that kind of role. You know, we'll see what kind of skills, you know, once he has I'm not This is no question the guy that I did not on my radar at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, barely on Danes radar. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not here to.
Speaker 3: Trash a pick of a player that I'm not familiar.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 4: I'll say this, and you know, because I rattled off some guys that I liked that were still available in this range, it's not quite this. You know, I knew who Craig Woodson was, and I knew a little bit more about him, but Craig Woodson was the one pick last year where I felt like they went off the beaten path and against consensus, he ended up being one of the best picks of the draft for them last year. I don't know if this is going to be Craig Woodson. I'm not saying that, but you know, the Patriots they have a little bit of rope with me because of the Craig Woodson thing that you know, maybe they see a player differently, they have a different evaluation and a different grade on him, and uh, you know, they they're higher on him than everybody else's.
Speaker 5: It is funny though, the gravesman you draft who.
Speaker 2: I was hoping stop stop.
Speaker 4: Now, we'll see.
Speaker 5: But that's a position where they have a bunch of guys, but can any of them play, can any of them contribute? I don't really know whereas you know, linebacker. To Evan's point, they don't really have a bunch of guys. Chad Muma, I.
Speaker 2: Forgot about him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was dressing late in the year, especially came in as a special teams guy and he played a little bit. I mean, he was a little bit more highly touted, So you know, maybe they see some potential in him.
Speaker 2: I don't know, at least at least some of the depths.
Speaker 3: Good point, Mike, that's another element of the because that's what you're looking for, is another depth guy that can play special teams and he was playing in that role late in the year. Yep, maybe they liked what they saw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they saw those three six round picks. And you know, some of the linebackers that I've been hyping up are still on the board, and yeah, they're still going.
Speaker 3: And I'm not gonna lie because I'm so immature. When the Patriots sort of let go of you know, Jack Gibbons and then decided to release Jolani Tavai, and you know, one after another or breathlessly.
Speaker 5: This is a big need. This is a big need.
Speaker 3: You know, like everybody you know sort of overreacting to like depth linebackers as a need. And then you know, we all the three of us kind of had some fun on April thirteenth when we had the Elliott Wolf pre draft press conference and he specifically said, yeah, we'll be looking at some of those Day three linebackers. And you know, here we are in round five taking a cornerback that no one's really overly familiar with. Obviously they didn't see it as as big a need as everybody else did.
Speaker 2: And you know, whether it's you know, that big guy in the middle like Tonga, or these linebackers that you know we could use right now, you can be able to get them off the street.
Speaker 5: There's always options. This isn't the end of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tonga was a free agent. That was that was an unrestricted free agent. He was off the street.
Speaker 2: Now, well, yeah, but he was a seventh round pick that he was available, that is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: No, he was.
Speaker 3: He played for another team and they didn't resign them. It's like that's like an office street free agentsy guys out of the league.
Speaker 2: And you just he's a jump but there'll be people available.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree with your premise about Yeah, like you can find these guys I should.
Speaker 5: I mean even a nose tackle too. I think like if they got out of the draft without one, and even at this point expecting a nose tackle, they draft to come in and beat the Tonga guy and rotate, probably asking him a bit much. But you can always there's always guys out there on the street that you can try to find, especially at that position where you really just need a two down with stuff.
Speaker 2: Specific role, you know, a one dimensional player. But that's all I need, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, even the nose tackles, there are still guys out there.
Speaker 5: Carl Davis remember him, like it was that his name, Carl Davis, Carl he was nose tackles. Really, is that right? I feel like I'm compe with Carlton. Yeah, no, I know ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I know who you're talking about. There's still some nose tackles available that I liked. And you know, like I said earlier that that position is just so specialized that are not going to be high draft picks right when you're gonna play a run stuffing nose tackle as it's like Kayden McDonald and he's like a dude.
Speaker 3: Like he's, yeah, he's I'm going to be showing everybody I'm the best player in this draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But like the Godfather, Dante Corleone, you know, tend to call her called in about Tim Keenan. You know, these are all guys that might just make it to their picks in the sixth round. You know, some of these linebackers and nose tackles.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Corleone had a blood clots issue earlier on in his college career, so maybe that has you know, been a flag for some teams, has been flagged in the medical process because I thought he was going to go ahead it, you know, earlier than this. So maybe that is contributing there. And even you know some of the guys like Xavian Harris, who has some off field stuff, you know, for Sean Benny, Like there's still some guys on the defensive line too, So uh, you know, I think the sixth round still has some value in it, uh.
Speaker 2: Walker Walker from the Berks Hears. Let's get one thing straight. Our roster is pretty staffed now with the addition of AJ Brown and a stronger run game. It's looking pretty good. But what's the biggest concern on offense?
Speaker 5: If Drake may takes the leap forward in year two of the system that he needs to make mental yeah, I think that. I mean, I think that to me will determine how good they are. How can you know how they handled this year. It's gonna be tougher year for them. They're probably gonna have more injuries than they had last year. You know, games might not unfold all in their favor where they're up ten to nothing and playing from a position to strength. So I think if Drake takes the step that they want him to take and that they think he can take, then I think that'll help them. I think that they've done a really good job of filling a lot of holes in the roster.
Speaker 3: I would not call this roster stacked. So my biggest concern would be what I talked about about a half hour ago. You address the pass catchers. Does your addressing the guys that you addressed, do they work? And in conjunction with that, do the guys that you have in place. You know, we talked about how good everything was last year. Mike keeps talking about like, you know, you played a lot of games on your terms. Are those guys going to be as good as they were last year or did they level off a little bit? You know, like, and it starts with Drake. Drake was an MVP last year.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Does he level off? Does he play better? Well? Does he take a step back? You know?
Speaker 3: Maybe everybody says, you know, what we saw in the playoffs that if you can sort of take away that deep stuff and make him do it in a different way and get you know, get in his face early in games, you can kind of get them up. There's a lot of different things that can happen.
Speaker 4: Like, what are my concerns.
Speaker 3: My concerns are AJ Brown's not AJ Brown anymore and Romeo Dobbs is just a complimentary piece.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I love that point, Paul, and I would say I do wonder if that's how teams viewed Drake, to say, take away the deep stuff from him, make him read it out and take the take the underneath change.
Speaker 2: We get bored the Patriots made it could have this way. It could happen where the Patriots have not as good a record this year as last year, but they're.
Speaker 5: A better team. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, they.
Speaker 2: Could be a better back this year, but not be an MVP can Yeah yeah, you know, no, I could happen too.
Speaker 5: I think more than it could happen, I think there's a very good chance that that it does happen.
Speaker 3: And I would say if he plays better than he played last year, he'll be an MVP candidate again, because I don't know, he played at an exceptionally high.
Speaker 5: Level last year. Yeah yeah, and especially if he's going into Seattle, going into Kansas City, I mean tearing up those teams, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, these are just concerns because he asked for concerns. These are not things I'm expecting. I like where the roster is, I like where they're headed. I think the arrow was pointing up. But he's asking for things that you I would worry that he levels off a little bit and doesn't play as well as he did last year because he played so well last year. It's almost like, how could he possibly get better?
Speaker 11: And I.
Speaker 4: Still think it's the offensive line, Like he's a good one too. It's a good one too.
Speaker 5: They're all connected because you are making me open my mind, like Campbell, if he doesn't don't mock me play the first way he did the first fourteen weeks of the season.
Speaker 4: He doesn't take a step forward.
Speaker 2: Vera.
Speaker 4: Tucker's got to stay healthy. You know, Jared Wilson's moving into center. We think he's going to be better at center than he was at guard.
Speaker 3: But we don't know if he's going to be better than Bradbury was at center.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And you know, then with Morgan Moses thirty five years old, well, does he play seventeen games? Does he play seventeen games? Does he play at the same level? Does Lomu have to play more than you want him to have to play as a rookie? I you know, I hear what all you guys are saying about Drake May. But I think Drake May established himself that he's going to be playing at a pretty high level too.
Speaker 2: But Mike is right, like they're all connected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you could make an argument that Drake May played fine in the playoffs, but he had less time to do it. Or you can make an argument and said the offensive line was the same all year, but Drake made him look better than they were in the regular season. He couldn't do that in the playoffs. Depends on your perspective.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's all related, right, and you can compensate for if the offensive line isn't quite as good, but AJ Brown and Dobbs are excellent, and then that's going to offset some of it.
Speaker 4: You know, how does it all fit?
Speaker 2: You could play the law of averages and be a real down. Let's say everything worked out last year. The odds are everything's not.
Speaker 5: Going well and unfortunately, friend, like, I'm not going to say that it's going to be it's going to be more in the middle of the pack.
Speaker 3: And that's your theory of you could be better this year than you were last year and not win as many games.
Speaker 4: Right to me, that's that's schedule related. Their schedule and is much harder and injury related to Yeah, yeah, their schedule is much harder, and you know they're going to be playing on much better team.
Speaker 2: Russell and Florida. I was really hoping that we would jump back into the fourth, but I'm assuming that they feel the talent left isn't worth the move. That being said, do you think that by the sixth round they start using picks on UDFA guys that they like, you think Taylor Green could be on their radar? At one seventy one or if he slips to the sixth, Well.
Speaker 4: I think kron Punty might have been a guy that was closer to you, UDFA. And you know they talked about the drop off in this draft. I mean the fact that that's happening in the fifth round.
Speaker 2: Well, I just thought of something with Elliott said, we don't have Mike Rabel to do the recruiting for the UDFA, we better maybe the thinking we might as well get him now and not have to recruit them.
Speaker 3: Do you have your numbers on your your fancy little geek chart for them?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry chart?
Speaker 5: Yes, for what.
Speaker 3: Number on how many players are currently on the roster?
Speaker 5: You have an added I can tell actually hold on, give me ten seconds a.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah effort that. I also, I'm going to throw this one to you. Well, Mike's doing his his geek count. Yes, email just brought up Taylor Green. Are you interested in the quarterback here and any of these last four picks?
Speaker 4: I'd be fine with it. I think the backup quarterback thing always goes one away. Taylor Green is like a raw ball of clay. But that's a developmental pick. That's Joe Milton is what that is.
Speaker 3: I just meant the position in Jai.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that, you know, I get that they count on Tommy DeVito and they feel good about Tommy DeVito, but I'd have no problem with it. Like, but the question is is do you go with a guy like Taylor Green, who's Joe Milton. I mean maybe not with the arm talent, but the mobility and size and all the you know, physical tools, or you know the kid from Yukon who's like more of like that's just going to be Chase Daniel, Like that's going to be your classic NFL backup quarterback for the next ten years. I think you had one pick the entire season last year. You know, that's going to be that type of player. You know, which direction would you rather go in in terms of you know, getting I guess if you feel good about de Vito, like maybe you take the chance on the upside.
Speaker 3: Another great name has a Kaya Mass.
Speaker 4: I liked him. I had him on the big board. I really liked him. I thought he was really smooth in his pedal, silky smooth hips right flip and run. Maybe not as good in man coverage right now, but I thought he was a really good zone corner already.
Speaker 5: I think I'm at seventy two, so seventy two for the draft, So seventy six seventy two with eight picks, right, Oh yeah, yeah, that they haven't But you haven't counted any draft picks yet. I didn't count I just did seventy two.
Speaker 3: Seventy two draft picks without draft, so that's eighty So there is still them for some new DFAs. Yeah, yeah, got ten more spots.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm gonna double check that though, But I mean it's you.
Speaker 3: You're talking to eight to ten spots. Yeah, like you know whether it's exact or not. So yeah, I mean, I guess there is some room. I was kind of thinking they wouldn't have a tremendous amount of room for u DFAs this year because of the increase of the caliber of the roster. You're in a better sets than you were last year, but you still have room for some That's how I.
Speaker 4: Feel too, with you know, eleven draft picks going into the draft. Yeah, it just felt like a lot, especially in a draft but you know, less talent like this one. And they seem like they kind of agreed because they traded you know, their two fourth round picks to move up in the first two days and kind of consolidated the picks a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh Don and Philly. Everyone is saying that the AFC East is cooking in this draft. I'm not worried about the Jets or Dolphins, but the Bills seem to be stockpiling slot receivers with the move tight ends on their roster. What is their goal?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't we then' that's some commentary.
Speaker 3: I don't love some of the I love some of the stuff that the Bills have done. I don't hate it, but I don't I would have looked for more of a dynamic presence at the receiver position than just another slot kind of guy. But I do think the Jets have had a nice draft, and we talked a lot about the Jets yesterday. I think if and it's a big if because he's coming off a horrific season, if Gino Smith gives them passable quarterback play, I think they have the makings of a decent offense. And they're trying to rebuild the defense on a fly after really gutting it last year with Quinn Williams and Sauce Gardner and all those guys leaving. I think if they if Gino Smith has a decent year, I don't think them knocking on the door of you know, six seven wins, you know, in other words, not just two that you just pencil in automatic like you did this year, because they were so bad this year, they weren't beating you next year. I could see them being in a position where if you don't take if you don't take them seriously and you don't show up to play, you could be in some trouble.
Speaker 5: Can I bring up one other position? We haven't talked about his quarterback? Like do they need a third quarterback? Here? In one of these lives.
Speaker 3: When you were counting your geek chart, I transitioned to Evan and I did sorry because the email had just said, Taylor Green, what's one of these picks down here? And I was thinking like a Haines king, you know, which is kind of like my TV was the.
Speaker 4: Ability Garrettnsmeyer still available for some reason? Maybe the back thing is why he's not drafted yet.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised by that because I thought he was more talented than a lot of guys that have gotten taken.
Speaker 4: Me too, Taylor and Green, is you know we just talked about Cole Payton is kind of in the same category as Joe Fugano from Yukon is like pure back.
Speaker 3: No part of is the North Dakota State kid that's the left the lefty.
Speaker 4: I don't like him at all. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: And this this will be my Greg Bernard moment it turns on to get drafted in the when he turns out to.
Speaker 5: Be a stud. You guys could throw.
Speaker 3: It's rare to find guys when you watch their highlights that you're not impressed with. Yeah, and I watched his highlights and I was like, Okay, there's nobody there when he ran for a touchdown, Like, Okay.
Speaker 4: The Haines King one's interesting King.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 4: I think Haynes King's kind of taste some Hill Like. I don't know if he's like actually a quarterback. No, Taylor Green might not be a quarterback.
Speaker 3: He's a hair better than Tebow as a as a passer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they read a triple option. They you know, they run the ball a Ton.
Speaker 2: And he unbelt Taylor and Green.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Some people think you know, I said, you know, remember Traill Prior, Like Trell Prior like switched to wide receiver and actually had a couple of good years as a wide receiver. If it doesn't work out for Tailing Green at quarterback, he could potentially do that. So do you want to do that thing with the athlete or do you want like Diego Pavia, who's going to be a ten year backup in the league.
Speaker 3: Right, Pavia is going to be one of those guys that I think could cost some issues as a backup with his mouth. Oh yeah, he's I mean, he's likely. He's extremely self confident, and I think that could cause issues as a backup up. Yeah, another tremendous college player, though.
Speaker 2: Let's see Scott says it was nice of the Patriots to let Bill make the pick at one seventy one. Good.
Speaker 5: That's funny.
Speaker 2: At the eight five five Pats five hundred the hot line, James is in North Carolina? What's up? James? James? James James in North Carolina? Muss has a player from North Carolina been drafted yet?
Speaker 15: Not?
Speaker 2: I'm aware the second believe Jordan Hudson's still available.
Speaker 5: Checked by college here.
Speaker 4: Let's go serious.
Speaker 2: Oh that Jordan.
Speaker 3: There's a player named Jordan Hudson. You didn't know this, it's been like all.
Speaker 2: Over from North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't think. I don't remember this being a.
Speaker 5: Big now Carolina, Thaddius Dixon, Marcus Allen and have all not been drafted.
Speaker 3: We're all transferred out on HIV. Din'd you listen to Lombardi?
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Okay, Michael Party.
Speaker 2: Anthony Seattle, do you guys think that attitude slash nastiness is a bigger factor on defense and athleticism is more important on a modern day offense. That could explain the first three picks a little bit.
Speaker 5: That's what I thought last night. I mean, like, I'd much rather have a you know, an offensive player that you're like, we got to bring some of that out and him, then you know, a defensive player that's just more Traditionally, usually the defensive guys are a little bit tougher, but you know, there's always those guards that we talked about last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think there's toughness on both sides of the line, for sure, But I need athletes on defense too. You know, is there a better athlete on the Patriots than Christian Gonzales?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 4: No, there isn't.
Speaker 5: Poetry and most I.
Speaker 4: Still feel watch practice moves different than everybody else on the team. Yeah yeah, and in a good way. That's not a bad thing.
Speaker 5: I just I just don't want to get carried away with the Rabel thing of you know, the violence, the violence and he's not violent, and I order, you know, fixating your look. I get it. It's a type. They like it, they want to play with that style. But you can also incorporate players who maybe aren't innately always driving guys into the ground and given extra business.
Speaker 2: And did any research on the excellent lineman who was more technical than physical what we were talking about, you know, were there some great linemen were known for their technically I.
Speaker 5: Should have done how while I was trying to sleep last night, that would be that would probably.
Speaker 4: I feel like I have a couple. But I also like feel like it's not it's doing them a disservice to say that they didn't know.
Speaker 3: It, because I'm thinking of like Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: Tech Joe Thomas, Like Joe Thomas was an absolute technician.
Speaker 5: That's one of them.
Speaker 3: I was thinking like Johnathan Ougden Orlando, like these guys were so good with their Trent Williams, you know, Trent Williams has a nasty street. Yeah, but he's such he's so good. He's almost never out of position. And you don't need to be you know what I mean, you don't need to be like one of these guys that's like.
Speaker 5: Playing to the right, right, right, a couple of shots.
Speaker 3: Guy, you're your favorite guy, Tyrone Smith.
Speaker 2: Right, he made it look easy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: When you're really good and you're really skilled, you don't like you're nasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, he made it look easy.
Speaker 3: But those guys were nasty to thank. Evan put it right. You don't want to give it's like a disservice to it.
Speaker 5: We always call the extra business in hockey, like the guys who there's this one senior defenseman who didn't play much, you know, and so he's always kind of scrappy and just every practice like man Whitey his name is John white White he's giving extra business, like in front of the nets, like just stop, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: You know, like just like the cross check.
Speaker 5: Yeah, h Whitey Yeah.
Speaker 2: Zach and Chelmsford, thank you. Thank you for the amazing coverage through the weekend. When we talk about uh Yakis being a violent edge player.
Speaker 4: What we're gonna get it right. We're going to get there and.
Speaker 2: Talk about Akis being a violent edge player. Can we break down what makes him different than key On White?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, light, Well, he's certainly lighter. I mean key On White was two hundred and eighty pounds. Acus is two sixty. Uh, you know, lighter, lighter on his feet.
Speaker 5: More bend to him.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 4: Ke White was just very stiff.
Speaker 5: It was right into the you know, just bull rush every time and sometimes he got him, especially with guards. That's when he was affected, when he could run into a guy and just push him back into the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I wouldn't say that Akus is bendy, like he's not a speed rusher. He's not a bendy rusher necessarily.
Speaker 5: But agree, he's.
Speaker 4: Twenty pounds lighter than Keon White.
Speaker 2: He's eleven sacks last year. Kean White never had that no in his years.
Speaker 5: No, and he was and key On White was a project.
Speaker 4: He didn't know exactly was.
Speaker 2: He was going in and he remained that way.
Speaker 5: Did you guys watch him at all with with san fran I know he had a couple of places he got shot.
Speaker 2: I hope heah, But.
Speaker 5: It seemed like It wasn't like they unlocked them either. You know, I just he had a great face. He looked the part saw somebody first guy off the bus. But you know, it just did never add it.
Speaker 2: Up for me. Timmy California subject line, stop being nice to Elie. It looks like karen punty. You got it. It's not punty. Karenny was on the raidar of the Green Bay Packers. He barely played at Kansas before transferring to Wake Forest. Why didn't we pick Aiden Fisher from Indiana or Adam Randall from Clemson? Is Elliott making good decisions?
Speaker 4: I mean, they still have three more picks in the sixth round, so I'm not gonna get upset about something they haven't done yet. You know, let's see what their picks are in the sixth round. This pick was definitely a little bit weird. Now I'll go full Bellichick on you. It is the fifth round. The fifth round is the least valuable round of the entire draft. Why is that just a way to drop off works in the draft? You know, once you get outside the top one fifty, now you're in that as Deuce likes to call it, like a doughnut between like you know, guys that are UDFA grades and then guys that have late round grades on them. So it's the least valuable draft round. So there you go. There's your col Payton to the Eagles. Good luck, Philly, Howie, Howie.
Speaker 5: Just so I wasn't prepared for that.
Speaker 4: Bill always used to draft the special teamers in this round. You always used to draft his long snappers, covere bases like all that different type of stuff because it it, uh, analytically, is the least valuable round of the draft.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 4: We're almost out.
Speaker 5: I see then. This is such a familiar thing for me watching the draft when you finally see the little any at the end of the ticker and it's slowly.
Speaker 4: The problem is is that they have one and one ninety eight, so they have picks and quick session coming up here, then to twelve.
Speaker 3: So you're telling me we're going beyond four o'clock, aren't you. At least at least we should probably stay for those two picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Butcher Dorchester assuming to get a J. Brown, a run stopping nose tackle, a linebacker, and a punter.
Speaker 3: A lot when they have left, I really don't want to draft.
Speaker 2: It's another thing, I get, what would you say then, is the biggest position. So here's the thing. Forget about the AJ Brown. If you're gonna get a run stopping nose tackle and free agency, okay, But if you think you're going to fill needs with what's left and they're gonna come in and play and make an impact this year, that's that's that's a reach. That's a reach just because you draft a position in the sixth or seventh round. That's not filling a need. That is not filling a need, that's just adding bodies to camp.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Now this is for not filling needs at this point in the draft. Right now, if they draft somebody in the sixth round that people like me, then losers like me or Dane or whatever felt like were actually really good value in the sixth round. It happens. I mean, Booty and Pop are examples of guys that you know outperform their draft stock. So I'm not good sixth round value. Both of those. I don't write off the sixth round. And I mean, obviously Mike on Win who is great, Tom Brady is Tom Brady, you know, but uh, you know that it does happen.
Speaker 3: So I'm not, of course, draft Kaisham Booty and Tomario Douglas and say we address wide receiver.
Speaker 2: As of right now, as of this moment. If you feel the Patriots still have a need or needs, you're gonna have to do it in free agency if you want to help it this year. And it's probably not a permanent fix. It's just a band aid. Yeah, you know, so that's now all. Every once in a while you do find find that diamond in the rough in the late rounds and it happens, but it usually doesn't happen right away. It takes a year or so for that person to emerge.
Speaker 4: I would say it usually happens because of red flags that are outside of like their actual skill on the field. Pop Douglas went to Liberty. He's five foot eight, you know, slot receiver that went to Liberty and played out a smaller school. Kaishan Boudi had the ankle injury in college and had a bad way about things in college at LSU. So like Kaishan Boudi talent wise, was not a six round pick. He just had the ankle. He had some off feel stuff and so it knocks him down in the round to the sixth round. You know, if you take a fire. I mean, I'll give you an example. Harold Perkins hasn't been drafted yet. So if you take a fire on a guy like Carol Perkins in the sixth round, he might hit because he has the talent, he just has some question marks.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Fred, I was just gonna say, I just look real quick at like a current available nose tackles, and there's a bunch of old guys out there that you can get on a one year deal, like you know, DJ Readers of the World, day Kwon Jones. I mean, you know, nobody's going to be a long term edition, but much more to grab a guy like that on a one year deal.
Speaker 3: That's what Freddy was talking to.
Speaker 5: Draft right than to draft. Like you said, fred draft the sixth round.
Speaker 2: What they did with Tong, you.
Speaker 3: Can always get a nose Scotch. Well then that was but again, like Tongo was like a first day of free agency signing.
Speaker 5: This is like we can just get a guy. Yeah, Like I mean, he's probably gonna be thirty two and you know, not going to be the answer forever.
Speaker 4: But I still like some of the nose tackles. Yeah, like give me give that would would give me the Godfather and this X round don't need to nose tackle after that. He's got it about the blood clots. The blood clots, we'll just be.
Speaker 3: Making all kinds of derogatory comments about Italians and no get and my daughter's wedding, everybody asking everybody be doing stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You asked me to stop the run, you know, but we can't do that. Let's see what happens if it's another nationality.
Speaker 5: You can make fun of.
Speaker 3: The Scottish without repercussions that.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I'm Scottish.
Speaker 5: You can make fun of the Scottish all you want to boot snout.
Speaker 17: The world?
Speaker 2: Excuse me, Nedd in North Carolina, Little Neddy wants to go back to the draft. Did you put a patio swing chair on the list. It's a solid three for me.
Speaker 5: That's nice, that's relaxing.
Speaker 3: How about your I don't live in a mansion.
Speaker 5: No, you don't have anything that don't have room for a patio swing chair.
Speaker 3: No, But I I think you're also we you know, we need to make a distinction between indoor and outdoor furniture to yeah, and then like exactly we got to identify furniture. I'm not big on the TV as part of your furniture. Like it's a sofa, it's a love seat, it's a recliner, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say I don't feel I've found the truly perfect piece of outdoor furniture that I really love and am comfortable and it can just go and sit out on the deck and relax, like I haven't found that thing.
Speaker 2: Like Paul puts his cushions in everything.
Speaker 5: I know, I respect. I can't do that now my cushions.
Speaker 2: So if you're not going to do that, you have to buy like these the furniture.
Speaker 3: I don't put the cushions in every night I put I put a cover over the whole sofa every night. Yeah it doesn't get it's ridiculous, But I don't put the correct the cushions in.
Speaker 2: All right, Well you cover them up every night.
Speaker 4: I don't want. I don't let them get wet every.
Speaker 2: It's a responsibility.
Speaker 4: I wish furniture, But then you sit on there, you get soaked.
Speaker 5: I know if I respect it, But what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, you're right, come on, and that's what happens because I have the cheap pillows, but if you buy the really expensive pillows, the water just wicks right off. They don't. It doesn't absorb.
Speaker 3: So I have like a little mold, right, I have a little bar set it like it's like the wicker material. When that gets wet, it doesn't feel like it's wet, but it's sod. You sit on that, you got to like tip it and all the water comes out, but then it drives up right away once you do that, but then you sit down, you get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no one likes the questions I have, Like they're supposed to be water resistant, they're not water proof, and if it really rains, they're gonna get wet and it takes you have to take them and put them on their edge and wait for them to dry out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what they make these really. Like the cushions are like over three hundred dollars each water and the water just doing plasts like a rain.
Speaker 5: Are they comfortable is like plastic?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's not plastic. It's it's but but like I said, if you have a couch with three cushions and three back cushions, that's that's you know, yeah, six.
Speaker 5: Times you're speaking my language.
Speaker 4: Struggle, I know.
Speaker 5: And then there's like leaves get blown in and it's all gross. I wish I had a cover to do it like you do, because so much time I spent. I want to go sit outside. Oh it rained yesterday, they're sopping. I got to do Freds thing and flip them on the side.
Speaker 3: And you have a like one of those little outdoor kind of gazebo things, not like not a permanent not I don't know why your mind.
Speaker 4: Goes there talking.
Speaker 2: The cow is a cover.
Speaker 3: There is a cover over and then I put a cover on top of the like thet I don't really think that that's that rare.
Speaker 5: No, I think it's smart. But I wish I wish I had that.
Speaker 3: But now most overrated outdoor furniture is the adiron deck chair.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, uncomfortable. Comfortable, thank you Fred. Uncomfort.
Speaker 5: I need an outdoor recliner that's like weather proof and that I can.
Speaker 4: Just sit and relax.
Speaker 5: And I it's the couches are too small.
Speaker 2: Things are too You guys have fire pits.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: I have a gas fire pit.
Speaker 5: A gas fire now, yeah, I got a fire it's got like a glass.
Speaker 2: Top yeah, I have one of those with the pebbles in it.
Speaker 5: But the glass, the blue.
Speaker 4: Glass does it give off heat.
Speaker 3: A little heat, but you don't use it for heat. It's just kind of like Beyonce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's more.
Speaker 5: Like it's the mood.
Speaker 3: It's more like a bunch of college kids sitting around.
Speaker 4: And at my house right like just to annoy me. I just like the fire pit because then you smelled like fire.
Speaker 5: So that's the good part of the game. You don't smell.
Speaker 3: I don't smell because that's a smell you can't get rid of, like three days.
Speaker 4: If you like, if you have a hoodie.
Speaker 3: At a like you forget that, you'd have to wash it three times.
Speaker 4: You get the.
Speaker 5: Smell out of it.
Speaker 4: The smell is good.
Speaker 5: I do like burn there, like.
Speaker 3: When you when you sit around the fire. I like that smell. I don't like the way I smell. The next day, you kept just sitting around.
Speaker 4: Winter as much as you get I was thinking, like, when you know you smell like fire instead of smelling like booze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I know what he was doing. You were burning down the woods, and Heaven was out back smoking evil whoa so I was.
Speaker 5: I was, and I just drank. No, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: When you were in high school, eighteen was the drinking age, So.
Speaker 5: That is not true.
Speaker 4: That is not true.
Speaker 2: But it was a good, good shot, A good shot.
Speaker 5: I believed I was when you might have been.
Speaker 2: Changed while I was in high school. So geez. So the night before it happened where your grandfather there, carry convinced my mother to buy us ten cases of beer and we went down to Smuggler's Beach and sold them, you know, one bottle at a time for two bucks each, and made a fortune that night.
Speaker 3: Smart I always had an angle.
Speaker 5: Smart I thought he was going to say, and that was my beer for the next two years.
Speaker 2: Job.
Speaker 4: He's always scheming, you know, because this.
Speaker 2: Man evans explanation for why fifth round picks so less valuable than later round picks didn't really add up. Is the idea that fifth rounders cost noticeably more than six rounders without offering a meaningfully higher chance of success.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just the talent has just leveled off at this point of the draft.
Speaker 2: But you're paying more for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, And so you left that part out, Okay, But it's not like a tremendous amount more. It's not all I know is and I've probably done the better job of explaining it. But all I know is is that Bill used to always draft the special teamers in the fifth round.
Speaker 3: And I would say, and has been outspoken in favor of what Evans is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and every argument that he used to use of the reason why he did that is because it was analytically the least valuable round of the draft.
Speaker 3: The two rounds Bill always talked about as being sort of different with the third round. In the fifth round, the third round, he used to say, oftentimes had a lot of first round talent in it that had questions, whether it be injuries, character issues, you know, some kind of weird circumstance that caused a guy that had the talent to go in the first round to drop to the third round and the fifth round. I just think was more about what Evan's talking about in terms of value. I don't know exactly why it was. Maybe it is money related, but I don't like, is there really that great of a difference salary wise between a fifth and sixth rounder.
Speaker 2: R So Cahol and Galway Ireland has the same question, doesn't understand the logic why it's easier to find value in the sixth round in the fifth round. It's because of the way you have to pay fifth rounders as opposed to six rounders.
Speaker 4: But I'll do some more actual reasoning behind this for Tuesday's PU and we I'll have a better rationale for it. I've always just kind of taken Bill Belichick and other people smarter than me at their words for it.
Speaker 2: Go into one of those gbt's and say, what's the most valuable round in the NFL? What's the least valuable round in the NFL?
Speaker 5: All right, so let me do this.
Speaker 2: Well, while you're doing that, we'll go to Noah in Toronto. What's up?
Speaker 5: Noah?
Speaker 2: Noah? You there?
Speaker 9: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yep? We can?
Speaker 18: Okay, Yeah, thanks for all the content. So one thing I've been reading a lot about Kaleb low move is that is not a nasty enough player. And I was wondering if you guys think that's a legitimate concern or is that kind of just a heart oh coach thing, because I don't know, in my mind, is like a feaking blostake in front of him. I don't care if he needs him in the kary and after you get them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think that maybe, like when you talk about like nasty and finish, we're talking about play strength. It's not I'm not saying that he's got to go and like beat people up right, I'm talking about, you know, can he eight movement in the run game? Can he get on a block? And can he drive a guy off the ball. You know, I didn't necessarily see that kind of power in the run game to him. Doesn't mean he can't and can't eventually get to that point. I'm not necessarily talking about like he's going out there and.
Speaker 5: It's a great, great description, That's what I agree. It's I think you get lost in the you know, is he does he know the stuff that people loved about Will Campbell early last year when he was driving guys into the ground you're going to play in.
Speaker 3: The preseason game when he dreve drove a guy like ten yards down field, like that's just kind of a nasty streak.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, I'm not saying that you have to have now, but.
Speaker 5: It's it's evansing because that directs directly correlates to play in the position.
Speaker 3: I think nasty a lot of times gets confused with dirty, and I don't think it's the same due to anyway.
Speaker 5: Are you just did.
Speaker 4: Microsoft co pilot on this program?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: The fifth round is an average of four point six million to full point seven eight over four years, the same sound as four point four million to four point six million over four years. So it's not a money to make. It's not a money thing, and they're not guaranteed in either regard, so it's that's not it's not a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't have research on this, because logically, the higher you pick the person, the better they should be.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's more chances taken in the fifth The only other thing.
Speaker 4: That I can think of is that. And I don't know if I don't think this is the case as much anymore. But the Patriots used to have a notoriously small draft board like they used to have under Bill. They might only have like like one hundred guys on the entire draft board. Most teams have like double that, So maybe at this point in the draft they kind of have run out of draftable players could be, and so they're looking at it saying, you know.
Speaker 2: Depends on how big the ructors close one of your guys do those Internet, Yeah, I don't. I mean, I think he's more of an upfield kind of guy.
Speaker 5: You know that he's not going to be the nose tip. But you know, I pulled this tweet up. I think you referenced earlier Paul Hall of famers by what round they were drafted. I thought this was interesting a little bit into the reference. Uh, first rounders one hundred and thirty seven, second rounders, thirty eight, third rounders, twenty eight, fourth rounders, twelve, fifth round, eight, sixth round, four, seventh round, ten, eighth round, and later twenty eight. Of course, draft used to be a lot longer and undrafted twenty two. Yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Would just say, like the eighth round and later in the undrafted there's a lot more of those, yeah, right than first rounders.
Speaker 13: Do you know?
Speaker 3: There's an infinite amount of undrafted free agents that can make the league. Every year, there's only thirty two first round picks that make.
Speaker 5: The yep so, but yeah, yeah, about one hundred and thirty seven in the first round, and then you drop the thirty eight and that's a big drop. That's a hugeho that's one hundred, one hundred guys. Yeah, ninety nine.
Speaker 2: The draft used to be what twelve rounds back in the day?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 3: When there were times it was even longer than that. But I mean, was the eighth round pick?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 4: Was it seven when you started here?
Speaker 2: Was it down to seven when you started?
Speaker 3: I think it was down to seven when I started. Yeah, Troy was ninety three, and I think it was shortly after that they cut it to seven. I think the first draft that I covered was seven.
Speaker 5: Be a long show.
Speaker 2: Did you know that the New England well I think it was the Boston Patriots back then, drafted fran Tarkenton. Really, yeah, he chose to go to the Giants.
Speaker 5: You know, it was another interesting one. I didn't know they drafted with Steve McMichael Mungo. I knew that was a huge part of the Chicago Bears, and I was like what, I didn't realize that, And then it seemed like he never quite caught on here. They didn't quite get his personality. Then he went to Chicago he was able to be part of that great forty six defense, And yeah, that was that was one, because I mean they he was out of there in like two years. It was you know and went on to this great career.
Speaker 2: All right, so where are we? Taylor Green, just Tyl Green, first pick of the sixth round.
Speaker 3: Oh, put a tent on that quarterback circus.
Speaker 2: Wow they picked another quarterback. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They just they feel like if they're gonna just throw as many darts at that position and like maybe they'll get Tom Brady and you know, I feel like that's their mindset.
Speaker 5: There's Paul's guy, Cole Peyton doesn't look like he's throwing it.
Speaker 4: I mean that looks like a pretty good throw.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he actually looks like he has big arms, great biceps.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I got a feeling like six seventh round, you're gonna see some weird picks from a lot of different teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm curious. It's just kind of glad to see.
Speaker 5: We've got two Anny's on the tracker right now.
Speaker 3: So Dud's just tracking the Ay.
Speaker 4: I love that Now.
Speaker 5: I think back to the days I really did enjoy the draft when it was the weekend and you know, I would just make a weekend out of it and make food and have friends come over, and you just kind of the excuse to just sit there and eat food and kind of started when they fread it was the Saturday Sunday. It was you know, it was one, two and three on Saturday and then four to seven on Sunday. When I was a kid, it was during the week, during the day, and that's when I went all Evan, yeah, and I geeked out and I used to fake being sick so I could stay home from school and watch the draft.
Speaker 3: I did it twice, all know. My father caught on the second he did, yeah, yeah, the draft today. Second because I would do it, you know, my father would go to work and then I would go to my mother, I'm not feeling well, and I would stay, you know, would just sit in my room and watch the draft all day. He pulled the first and then the second year when that happened again. You know, my so my father's gone, doesn't realize it's happened, and he was like, wait a minute, you did this last year too, No, I know what you're doing. And that was it was yeah, I think we took Evan would have been like that, that's my boy. Like Tony Collins in the second round. I was like, oh, I might have been like the tip draft too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was in that era it was like eighty two, eighty three.
Speaker 3: Somewhere in that vicented some good drafts and you know, faking being sick to watch the draft. I've told this story before, but I'd never forget just the thought of my brain and being like, it'd be so cool to be able to like sit in front of the computer and just be on the Internet and be on my computer.
Speaker 5: While I'm on the TV. You know it's hard line dial up. You know you'd have to be over in.
Speaker 2: The other room.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, right, right, but you know the imagination of Wi Fi being like, that'd be so cool. You know, I can like do my little blogs and everything.
Speaker 2: I have to be honest, I wouldn't you. I wouldn't even have known when the draft was until after college.
Speaker 3: Ye Now, where to contemplate to miss the draft?
Speaker 2: I swear, I I it's too busy playing sports.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't watch it before like two thousand and six.
Speaker 4: I mean, it wasn't like I was watching in two thousand and six and I was like ten, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: Well that's like I was. Yeah, I was like it was when I really got into the pool. It wasn't like I'm a fan of the league and I want to see where I two thousand and six, I'd say, is where I really watching the draft?
Speaker 5: Sitting there?
Speaker 4: You know, I would say, yeah, like fourth or fifth grade. And then back then, like that's when like they started having the YouTube stuff for like Draft breakdown and stuff like that, and they would just have these cutups of players TV copy where I was just like four or five minutes of just all their snaps and you could just watch the guy play a game all the way through. And I used to just all sit there and just watch like as many guys as I possibly could. I didn't like take notes or anything back then. I just like knowing the names and schools and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But you get like the I mean, there wasn't the prolific draft coverage you had on the internet, but you get that like Draft magazine finally, and you know going through that. I would love that, but I getting when that would finally hit the news stand. I'd be so excited to, you know, go through the prospects.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back then, like you know, guys like Mel Kuiper and I know he gets a lot of credit for this from everybody, but like he you know, he obviously started it. Well you know, he was one.
Speaker 2: Of the first, was one of the best.
Speaker 3: Joe Joel Buschbomb was a scout, though mel Kuiper is the first one to just sort of do it as.
Speaker 2: Like a hobby but had his own book.
Speaker 3: But he was a scout. He was actually in the NFL. I heard an internet thing about mel Kiper, Joel Bush Bill Joel. Because of that, he used to talk to us until he didn't anymore.
Speaker 5: I saw some footage of like early mel Kiper. I forget what I was watching, but uh, and somebody was talking about how you cover the draft, and I thought it was really interesting because of you know, all of our processes that they're talent evaluators and then there are information gatherers, you know, and I feel like, you know, Evan leans hard into talent evaluation. He watches the players and he you know, whereas and I do a dabble in that. But I'd say I'm more of an information gatherer. I like to look at different people. I you know, find traits that I like or guys that you know, maybe have some keywords that this is the kind of guy you might be. Now. I watch him a little bit, but that was an interesting way to kind of look at it, and they were saying, you know, mel kiper initially more of an information gatherer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because back then there was no.
Speaker 5: Internet, you know, and it's a guy who's talking to everybody and getting the opinion rather than you know, there's a couple of different ways to kind of approach it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: To me, like, if you're not watching him play, then you're not scouting, I think, because you're if you're relying on other people's words, whether they're written or verbal, it's too subjective. You have to see it with your eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and I understand and that, you know, some people might think that I don't have the expertise or they don't have the expertise to be able to watch it and give an opinion, but I do. That's how I do it, And like my rankings like I that I put together, uh that we publish, Like I don't know, I'm not always right in terms of predicting the draft in the order that the players come off the board, but like I'm actually kind of more interested to see if I'm going to be right in two to three years and then being right like, oh, this guy went in the in the third round and Evan had him in the seventh round, like, well, maybe I they overdrafted it.
Speaker 2: I thought he was going to be a good football player and he ended up being a good football.
Speaker 5: Or bad you know.
Speaker 4: Definitely plenty of the on the other direction too, But I would say Barth like it does more trying to predict what the league is going to do, you know.
Speaker 2: Like he's more more of a game.
Speaker 4: He's more of the information gathering side where he wants to get it right in terms of the you know, projecting where the league is going to draft the players.
Speaker 5: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I would rather just try to see I can identify what's going to be a good player, like I remember, you know, just like the individual players that come around. And I was like, I really liked that guy, Like Randall Cobb was a guy like back and I was like, I really liked the way that guy isn't Like the first game he played for Green Bay, I think he had like two touchdowns. I was like, bang, look, I was I was psyched because like this is a guy that, you know, not like a top five pick.
Speaker 2: It's like Day two kind of guy.
Speaker 3: That guy's got some skills, he can play, he can do some things in the slot and you know whatever, That's what I would be more interested in if I was doing it as a hobby, like you know, like Fretz's Bushbomb. I'm actually looking up his thing here. You're kind of right, Fred I was wrong. He never really had a job in the NFL. He worked at Pro Football Weekly, right, and was kind of a draft guy. So he was different than mel Kiper in that he actually worked, and Kiper kind of just did it on his own. But neither of them was ever an actual scout and worked. He's I thought he was more Gil Brandt pushbomb, but he wasn't. He just he was like the editor. I like Pro Football Weekly.
Speaker 2: I got somebody mad here who really like Joe Bush bumbas that he lives in the basement of his mother's house. That was the wrong. Pro Football Weekly was a pretty good rag back, is that that little one? There was always a magazine.
Speaker 5: It was like three quarter size, it was, I remember that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And actually he had the best one.
Speaker 2: And actually Patrios Football Weekly. Yeah, the font is kind of stolen from Football Weekly. I wanted it to look like that so people would have that feeling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah when they read it. That's funny.
Speaker 2: I remember that little It's yeah yeah pamphlet. And then then Pro Football Weekly had a show that sometimes you could watch on Saturday night at eleven thirty if you're a loser, And I.
Speaker 4: Think that's still on Pro.
Speaker 5: Football Weekly, Yeah, with like Artcush Cush.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's one of the former Chicago Bears I think is on I think Wantstead is on it, Dave Wanstead.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Let's go to the phones. Randy's in Providence. What's up, Randy guy?
Speaker 17: How's it going to the first off, I just want to say I love gay back as as a pick, Like he's got the size, athleticism and like at the edge Russia position production translates from college usually, you know, I just really feel good about that pick. I want to ask you guys about these upcoming picks here. We still need a guard. What do you guys think about Jaden Roberts or Anez Cooper? And then like also on the offensive line, do you really think that the team is like so stuck on proving Will Campbell's a left tackle not a right tackle or anything else that they wouldn't consider switching him because look, it just philosophically the guy who's a really good pass protector but not a great run blocker, usually on the left. The guy who's a mean run blocker but not the best pass protector, usually on the right. So like just you know, I mean, for like.
Speaker 8: The entirety of the time that I've been watching.
Speaker 17: Football, that's basically been true. You know, why wouldn't they consider a swap ultimately if that's you know, with with having draft drafted, but let's say a great pass protector, I would hope, I.
Speaker 2: Would hope in a worst case they would consider everything.
Speaker 4: Oh and I think.
Speaker 5: They would be.
Speaker 4: And Elliot Wolf and Mike Rabell both said, well, if we can get a better left tackle than Will Campbell, then he'll play. But they just didn't feel the reason why other than putting a vote of confidence behind Will Campbell, is because they didn't feel like they were going to do better than the fourth overall pick in the draft at left tackle. Now, if maybe Lomu ends up being better, but you know, I think that's why, you know, to Randy's question, like why in terms of the styles and stuff like that, Well, if Will Campbell is just a better player then Lomu, then you're not going to make Will Campbell play out of position, you know, on the right side, just to accommodate Lomu. That that wouldn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: And I just I just don't think they'll be stubborn. Me neither if they, you know, if they were probably more stubborn than them about they watched these guys play for a year and they think one's better than the other. I don't think they're going to say, well, no, right, we're going to play the guy who's inferior. Yeah, I think they'll make the move.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I just I think you somewhat throw the needs out at this point. I mean a little bit. But it's more who.
Speaker 2: Do you like?
Speaker 5: Who do you think has some kind of chance to find a role on this team? Not hey, we really need to guard. We don't love this guy doesn't really fit, but let's just take him anyway. At this point, these guys are long shots anyway.
Speaker 2: Yep. So we're closing in. Looks like the Jets are on the clock. Three or four picks away, yep. Then Bengals and Saints than Patriots at one Jets.
Speaker 5: Pick us in.
Speaker 3: So moving along almost there. So we have Pistons lost again.
Speaker 5: Did they really yeah.
Speaker 3: Red soots one today seventeen to one, Freddy.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 5: See they're like, you know what, no more of this showing hot?
Speaker 2: How did Roman Holiday do?
Speaker 3: He's sad again, said as Jim Murray would call him, Roman Garoppolo took the day.
Speaker 2: Off, Roman, I call him?
Speaker 4: Why is he injury? Is just like four games? Then last year? Was it like obleaque or something like that? Yeah, No, I watched the end of the Celtics game when last night had it recorded, and uh, Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum, I mean they probably shouldn't be in a game that's that closed against the Sixers in the first round of the playoffs, to be honest, but uh, they they closed that game out. They they took over the game.
Speaker 5: Big three by U.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually a big pull up by Jalen Brown too to make it a two school game and then a dagger three by Tatum to end it.
Speaker 4: Dagger did he? Was he alpha enough for people on that one pound on the chest? Like was that did he show enough the whole look at the hand. Yeah, that's just that's a silly Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't, it's oh my god, Mike, that's wrong with my hand, it is not sexy.
Speaker 2: Chad's in Los Angeles. Hey Chad, Yeah good?
Speaker 6: And Hey, just about the signal. When I use the app, I have a very clear signal.
Speaker 16: But when I just called you guys, you guys sound like.
Speaker 6: You're still working on Netscape.
Speaker 5: So I think that's fatigue.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, you're you're I mean, he's sound very like digitized. Uh gut role. But let me ask my question.
Speaker 8: Then I'll get off the call.
Speaker 6: And you know, just if that's helpful for you guys to tech support purposes, I don't know, but okay, so.
Speaker 16: Here's my question. The guy that just called a little while ago, he was talking about little Cammell and how dedicated we are, you know or not to him, and it made me kind of reflect on last year a little bit. And you know, we obviously we made it a super Bowl.
Speaker 6: That's awesome, but you know, we kind of beat up on the weaker guys because of our schedule, and then when we got to the tougher teams, you know, our product duty really dropped out. So this spear is going to be a lot harder. And it kind of made me think about that little Campbell saying like, do you guys really think that we are like really dedicated to him as our left tackle and that he's going to have the jump that we need.
Speaker 16: And how much do you think we're improving so far? And I guess on that note, let's pretend we have agent Brown.
Speaker 6: I guess yeah, okay, well, all right, the call clear line?
Speaker 2: All right, thanks Chad.
Speaker 3: The issues with your cell phone?
Speaker 2: Your cell phone is not too great either. Well, I guess, first, are they that dedicated?
Speaker 3: I thought, But every time they've been asked, they emphatically say that, Well, I don't know what else you can do without playing and showing it. But at this time of year, you just keep saying he's.
Speaker 5: Our left tackle, and you know, fino, he said. Loaneo said that Will Campbell was the first person to text him, so clearly, Will Campbell, I would, was right on the cutting edge of that decision and had his number and was ready to go right away. So yeah, but I just again, I don't think that they're going to be stupid and they're gonna be stubborn about it. But to Paul's point that he made at the top of the first show that look, you've got an athletic.
Speaker 4: Kid that I don't know.
Speaker 5: Will Camble might just get hurt, like, he might just get hurt like and you're going to need an athletic tackle, so you know there's that factor too.
Speaker 4: It's too bad to Will Campbell got hurt. I'd like to say that at least we could have like done this on like an even playing field.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna apologize because I like, now all of a sudden, we're getting a lot of calls on it because of that email that started this, and I didn't like. I think it's a non factor today. I don't think it's really much. Every time that Rabel and Elliott Wolf have been asked about it, it's emphatic he's the left tackle. Evan might be right, that might be a vote of confidence, But I would be stunned if we go to OTA's in a couple of weeks and they line up for any kind of a formation and Will Campbell's not the left tackle. It'd be flat out stunning to see that when they play this year. If it doesn't go well and then they have then we can have these conversations. But right now, I think it is premature to back Evans. I'm not backing off of our conversation. But yeah, to your side of it right now, it's not I don't think worth it.
Speaker 4: And that's all I was trying to say to it. Just it feels a little bit premature to.
Speaker 5: Be I think we're going to have a trade.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think they traded out of the pick the Patriots. Yeah, I traded out.
Speaker 3: Oh that's not what we're looking for. That's adding picks, not far.
Speaker 5: Though far now, and now they're going to have to before their next pick.
Speaker 4: Basically, So I.
Speaker 3: Did see the Jets took that guard that someone.
Speaker 4: Just says yes, yeah, and as Cooper bigger guard, another like nasty road grading type of guard.
Speaker 2: Glass eater glass a lot about It's weird.
Speaker 4: About sometimes though with those guys. Friend is like he was he played really high, so even though he was like yeah, you could tell that he was big. Now though he's big, and he played a lot with a lot of raw power, Like a lot of those guys don't create as much movement because of their pad level. You know, we're talking about wrestling and leverage yesterday, they just aren't getting underneath guys and pushing them back. Paul's upset because we just added more picks. It's okay, Paul, It's okay, Alex.
Speaker 5: This is the prototypical you're not doing low movie.
Speaker 12: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: This is the prototypical Belichick trade just for the sake of trading.
Speaker 4: Okay. Can we just tell the trade now because we've been talking about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So and two forty five be the picks.
Speaker 2: So we gave up one ninety one.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we just did going down to to what one ninety six? So I think that one ninety six and one ninety eight now be with Tennessee I believe a Jaguars. Yeah, and then they'll have two forty five and two forty seven as well. So now they have five more picks, three six rounds and two seventh rounders twelve two forty five and two forty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll we'll hang out until one ninety six and one ninety eight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that coming up quick.
Speaker 2: See what's gonna go on a lot of emails coming in.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: The most interesting Patriots fan of the world says, if furniture is inanimate objects that are easily moved, as deusyndicated, I'm still taking Will Campbell first in the furniture draft.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, does the chair have long enough arms for you, though?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What a tremendous draft, Robert Rights.
Speaker 2: I have one hundred percent lied to my family friends that employed to stay home and watch the draft. Now I do house chores with my earbuds in because I have all what I have? You all watching it for me? Oh?
Speaker 5: There you go. I don't know, did you, guys ever any other reason you skipped schoo I remember I skipped school once when I was like in elementary school because it was my little sister's birthday and there she was having like a party. She was like a four years old and I wanted to hang out for cake. So I don't feel so good, mom, that's a real fat kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see Tim wrights in, he said, Fred, be patient with me. Who would you rather pick a six two, one hundred and ninety four pound cornerback who ran a four four five forty yard dash and played in the Big twelve and sac or a six', one one hundred and ninety two cornerback safety who ran a four to two seven and played in the college in THE cfp in The big.
Speaker 5: Ten On day, THREE i have no.
Speaker 4: Idea this is obviously two people that exist.
Speaker 2: In, Right.
Speaker 3: But you're giving me nothing about players LIKE i can give you a guy who walks down the street and has those? Measurables has he ever played down a football in his? LIFE i don't know who was talking.
Speaker 2: About the first one played in The big twelve in THE, sec.
Speaker 3: But did he play, WELL i don't know he do you know if it's any?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well chances are these two guys that he's profiling. Here evan's the only one who knows.
Speaker 5: Him SO i don't have this blasting numbers.
Speaker 3: Out if you give me the, NAMES i won't know, them SO i can't give you an.
Speaker 2: Opinion, well the first one the six, two one hundred and ninety cornerback who ran a four four five and played in The big twelve AT. Sec As Karen, prunty.
Speaker 4: He did not play in THE. Sec he was briefly supposed to go TO i Think South, carolina but he Didn't, okay didn't actually play.
Speaker 2: The six to one hundred and ninety two. Cornerbacks last safety who ran a four to two seven and played in THE cfb and The Big ten And Notre dame Was Lorenzo styles From Ohio state who went to The saints after our. Pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah the, Yeah PRUNTY i, believe like was committed to transfer To South. Carolina never made it To South, carolina ended up going To kansas, instead and then made his way To Wake forest. Eventually but there's no doubt That, styles his brother went seventh overall in the, Draft Sunny. Styles there's no doubt that people were talking about that player a lot more than That, prunty you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i, mean it's my running back, Receiver Josh.
Speaker 5: Cameron that was another. One it's fun is, This AS i said To, Paul it's like sometimes you just see a guy who's kind of different and, weird and that was Definitely Josh. CAMERON i, remember didn't only see a total fifth form. BAT i just kind of just.
Speaker 3: One of those guys that makes place and you, know.
Speaker 5: Runs, hard good college. Player, yeah let's.
Speaker 2: See bruno, SAYS i just had a brief but very insightful exchange with SHAT. Gbt the extremely short version of the reason For round five being the least valuable is that teams take a conservative approach drafting for roster depth instead of taking flyers when the math says they should be doing, otherwise and they do this because general perception is that a round five failure is a bus not a bet that didn't. Pay and of course it's least a media criticism fans booming a.
Speaker 3: JOB i CAN i can see, that like if you some somehow like a fifth round is high enough that like you'll think team, yeah yeah, yeah whereas like the sixth or seventh round just flyers anywhere they don't make.
Speaker 2: It he has the, whole he has the whole. Conversation BUT i don't want to get into.
Speaker 3: IT i, MEAN i think there could be some validity to.
Speaker 4: THAT i was wondering if, maybe you, know to that, point like we were talking about. Earlier you, Know Kaishan boody ends up going in the sixth round because of his ankle and because of what turns out some legal trouble off the field AT. Lsu you, know maybe the fifth round people feel like it's too early to take on some of that, risk you, Know but then all of a sudden you get to the end of the draft and that's when you are willing to take on a risk like. That and it's not a lack of talent that those players, fail it's off the field issues why those players fell Our. Injuries so there's a couple of guys like you know that are still on the board that were we knew ahead of, time had some some skeletons and some some. Issues, yeah things like. That so maybe that's that's why we're. Here you, Know Garrett nestmeier had like the back thing he had to.
Speaker 11: His.
Speaker 5: Spiners, yeah you, know so.
Speaker 4: He, is and like that's another. ONE i don't. KNOW i didn't wasn't aware That Jack injuries had any sort of injury or medical flags or anything like. That but, clearly uh he, does because you, know he was supposed to be like a fourth or fifth round pick and he's still.
Speaker 2: Available mark In, Lakeland florida wants to know how we stand on the back of the envelope guys of The patriots taking any of? Them, no so Far Kobe, Young tanacozio And Jude Barry bowery have been, taken but there's still uh, one, two, three, four, five six guys.
Speaker 5: That still the seventh rounds your time to.
Speaker 2: Shine Nolan rucci is the guy THAT i think will end up being a patriotlan Because Todd, Ruthy, YEAH i think he'll end up being A.
Speaker 5: Patriot getting. Invited we love.
Speaker 4: That so they're gonna make nine, picks right if they? Don't, yes that's they started with, Eleven, PAUL.
Speaker 3: I, know AND i got all, excited, sure just getting.
Speaker 4: UPSET i wonder if IF i, listen it's not my, Board but IF i was the, LIKE i wouldn't you just at this point of the draft to start throwing some darts at some of these like Like i'm off the field. Stuff you have to be comfortable with. That but, like you, know if it's injury related or you, know If Dante corleone has like the blood clot thing popped up in medical re checks or something, like but you got to, lose like if the, guy if the guy's health pans out and he's you, know he's gonna be a good. Player he's gonna be better than most six round.
Speaker 2: Picks jeremy writes in we have some time to kill before the. Picks we probably all agree that wide receiver one Is Aj? Brown why receiver two Is Romeo? Dobbs would you agree.
Speaker 5: With that wide?
Speaker 2: Receiver so if you were THE gm or the wide receiver, coach who would you be banking on as you're starting W r, three four and.
Speaker 5: Five, WELL i Think Mac collins is going to have a. ROLE i, MEAN i don't think you necessarily qualify him as like wide receiver, four BUT i think that's kind of what he. Is like why wide receiver four or? Five but a good, one you, know a guy that can, contribute that has a chemistry With. Drake saw him make some big plays and you, know Super bowl touchdown after. THAT i Just i'm hoping For Kyle williams and then we'll see how it goes out With.
Speaker 2: But you've really got three for four. There you've Got Kyle, Williams Booty, Pop, douglas And. Hollins those are your four left right, yep, ye you know for all, intents.
Speaker 5: So you're bringing an extra guy somebody's. OUT i, mean right, now it would point probably Towards. POP i, think you.
Speaker 4: Know, YEAH i MEAN i think you, ideally to answer the, question like you you'd hope That Kyle williams is the wide receiver. Three that's the ideal situation, realistically just looking how comfortable they were with each other last, Year Mac collins probably has the best.
Speaker 3: Chance i've been really surprised If mike is wrong And Mac collins doesn't have a significant.
Speaker 5: Role because of, THAT.
Speaker 4: I do, wonder you, know maybe he's more of like you, Know paul were you were talking earlier about he's kind of like a slot tight end type of. Player maybe that's the role because he's not going to PLAY. X OBVIOUSLY A. J brown is going to PLAY, x which which.
Speaker 3: WONDER i worry Where booty winds up because he kind of filled that role last. Year and again we talked about all the trade rumors you, know about him leading into the. Draft does he ended up? STAYING i, mean there's your thing To paul.
Speaker 5: OF i, mean Mac collins has had some stops and he's kind of been the same player every, place and it just seems like all of a sudden it kind of runs their course and teams move. On doesn't seem like that's the direction it's. Headed BUT i Just i'll be interested to see what happens If Kyle williams doesn't really, progress and you, know because he's going to be in a situation where he needs to show.
Speaker 2: SOMETHING i just wonder If Kyle, williams.
Speaker 4: When you think, of you, KNOW A. J brown at this stage of his, Career Romeo, dobbs Neither, BURNERS i would SAY A. J brown's winning with. Physicality you, Know Romeo dobbs is winning with like craftiness and you, know sort of, consistency, steadiness at least For Kyle, williams like the path is is that you're the one like that can really stretch the field with your. Speed you. Know Matt collins has sneaky, speed you, know BUT i don't know if that's truly, like you, know this is a different. Dimension Kyle williams kind of brings a little bit of a different dimension and obviously more size than Than pop you, know who has speed. Too so IF i Was Kyle, williams like that's how that would be the best case scenario to me is, like you, Know i'm kind of complimentary to these two, guys and maybe that's what they're. THINKING i don't know how much ex they're putting In Kyle williams's, basket but maybe they're, thinking you, KNOW. A. J brown is gonna win with you, know, physicality and he's gonna win the, ball and you Know dobb's gonna win with his route running and we got our, Burner.
Speaker 2: KYLE i do have to. Apologize they said they have four players for three. Positions really five players left.
Speaker 4: Out i'm glad that you corrected, that because you know, what you should at least bring him up like he deserves to be brought.
Speaker 5: Up, yeah, yeh he should be in the. MIX i mean your two get, stronger small school kid you.
Speaker 2: Know, yep come In eddie's In New. York what's, Up?
Speaker 3: EDDIE i thought we WERE i thought we were improving the. ROSTER i was trying to. Win Sorry eddie?
Speaker 12: There, yes, yes what's?
Speaker 2: Up?
Speaker 10: Going first time call on love you guys. Show i'm a big dew fan of the offensive. Line do you think The patriots have done enough to address your line or should or not? Enough whether remain pick should go? There Because i'm the one to think that if you protect the, quarterback any wide receiver could get. OPEN i just want to pay your take on.
Speaker 2: The, okay have they done enough to offensive on? Guard?
Speaker 5: Yes, YEAH i take out of guard. HERE i MEAN i don't think is.
Speaker 2: It going to? WORK i don't, know BUT i think they've addressed.
Speaker 4: IT i Mean Elijah, Vera tucker And Caleb. BLOMO i Mean Bear tucker is one of your bigger free agent. Signings loan was your first round.
Speaker 3: PICK i mean and that's coming on the heels of taking a tackle with the fourth overall. PICK i, mean there's so much more you can.
Speaker 5: Do there's always more things you could.
Speaker 3: Do but they had a first and a third round pick last year that are. Starting they had a first round pick this year that at the very least is going to provide.
Speaker 5: Depth.
Speaker 3: You As evan, said one of your one of your top free agent signings was a starting. Guard last, year you also signed a starter at tackle and free agency In Morgan. Moses everybody tells me that there's no lineman in the, league but yet The patriots are thin at the offensive line because they don't have a seventh or eighth. Option and this is not directed at the. Caller this is kind of what's going on around. Here like a lot of the REP i mean offensive. LINE i, mean they got to do something about that offensive. Line how much more can you?
Speaker 4: Do you just have to talent.
Speaker 2: Correctly you can't complain about. It they do, stuff and then, oh they shouldn't have taken linemen you've been.
Speaker 3: SAYING i don't think anybody saying they shouldn't have taken. LINEMAN i think people are, wondering did they take enough, lineman AND i don't, LIKE i don't know how many of you can, take, Right, like The chargers were like six seven deep at tackle last year and they still found a way to get to the. PLAYOFFS i, mean obviously we saw that they had no shot when they got there because of. That but that's kind of uncommonly bad luck what they what they went through with the tackle position last.
Speaker 5: Year, yeah and they've had a good uh draft solidifying. That you, know one of the guys we. LIKED i think they Grabbed Travis. BURKE i think maybe yeah.
Speaker 3: Play i'm saying everybody says there aren't enough tackles in the, league and The patriots have a problem because they don't have a third or fourth tack do you, Know, LIKE i just don't know what else you can.
Speaker 5: DO i, mean that's it's like all of this right. Now it's like they don't have a third, linebacker they.
Speaker 4: Don't want offensive, lineman and The patriots have drafted an offensive. Lineman The patriots Drafted Demitrius cronover From TEXAS a AND m so so really interesting. Player he was like WHEN i started the process back In, february everybody thought that he was going to be like a top one hundred. PICK i don't know why he fell out of the draft this. FAR i then The beast came out And dane had, him you, know around this range as. WELL a, big powerful right. Tackle this is a pure right tackle. Prospect he played right tackle At TEXAS a AND. M but big, hands you, know lots of raw power to his, game you, know kind of that prototypical right side of the line type of. Player but he's sixty seven three nineteen. Pounds you ready for this, one, dude.
Speaker 5: Give it to.
Speaker 4: Me thirty five and three eighth inch. Arms thirty five and three eighth in arms on this, guy so extremely long. Arms he locks him out really heavy cinder block for. Hands but you know he's got some development to. Do another guy that, has you, know a lot of development to. Do AND i think a lot of people were worried about some of that type of. Stuff but from a raw ball Of clay's standpoint in terms of measurable's, length power play, Strength, uh he's got that foundation to, potentially you, know stick in the.
Speaker 5: League do you think they're gonna take maybe just take some of his arms off and give it to you, know other members of the offensive line is.
Speaker 4: That it's possible you could take a half inch.
Speaker 2: Off is he long for this?
Speaker 5: One, WELL i MEAN i think it's A i MEAN i think this guy probably a little bit more of a ceiling than you might, expect but similar. SIZE i, mean another you, know.
Speaker 4: Giant, YEAH i MEAN i had him at forty first in my big on my big. Boards good win for. YOU i pulled that one on BECAUSE i when, originally you, know LIKE i, said when we started this back In, february this was one of those guys that was going to be in their sweet spot in the third or fourth.
Speaker 2: Round might have looked at your board.
Speaker 4: Maybe at ninety five, One like all the early mocks had cronover as, like, well if you don't take tackle in the first, round then maybe we'll take him in the middle. Rounds and this was the, guy you know when this all. Started i'll have to do something you and find out. Why you know that didn't come out once the grade came out for the teams at the end of the. Draft but you, KNOW i compared him To Cam. Robinson you, KNOW i think that that he's got that kind of physicality and that kind of power to. Him but the arms is obviously what stands. OUT i mean he's got the guy's got over thirty five inch, Arms so that's, like you, know rare kind of arm light that you don't see every.
Speaker 2: Day, Okay so that means The rams are on the. Clock they just traded in to the one hundred and ninety seventh pick and then it's The patriots again at one ninety, Eight so we've got another big pick coming. Up while we're, waiting we'll go back to the, phones and it Is neil And. Warwick what's? That?
Speaker 4: Neil, hey what's going?
Speaker 16: On you?
Speaker 19: Know, hey SO i haven't called in a. While it's been a long time SINCE i called, in but do. SO i was, thinking you, Know i'm In Ohio state and we wish we Took Max claire last, night but we did get a tight, end SO i knowing when is happy right. Now but the other, Thing i'm curised nobody Has Kake cayden courage From Ohio. State you. KNOW i, MEAN i think he'd be great figure you can, learn you, know uhl refer defensive.
Speaker 15: END i move my.
Speaker 19: Mind i'm, TIRED i got a. Baby so but besides, THAT i think they should Draft. KERRY i mean verable with the defensive End Ohio states and then turn into a. Linebacker SO i think they can turn SO i think would be a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Pick all, right Thanks, Neil Matt. Morrell we got to look into why our phone's beeping on our. End it's definitely, us not.
Speaker 4: That we gotta call.
Speaker 5: Waiting it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool, yeah all, Right so any reaction to the.
Speaker 5: Call, WELL i don't. Know i'm, Sorry i'm still on Crown. Over it's, just you, know is this, UH i mean they drafted another, big long right, tackle you, know, like is he going into the?
Speaker 4: GUARD i, Mean paul's give an.
Speaker 5: Eyeball paul's just talking about we don't have enough. TACKLES i, mean right now you, have by my. COUNT i know some of them are, bumps but you have eight, tackles you, know including some of the practice squad guys from last Year's Lawrence Matt Marcus bryant from last. Year.
Speaker 3: YEAH i think they're they're trying to add some. Depth this is where you. GET i was told You i'll be stunned if they don't take some offensive lineman in day.
Speaker 5: THREE i would have thought probably a.
Speaker 3: Guard maybe we'll get a guard. Now But i'm not overly surprised about a, tackle And evan had one that was on his. Radar, YEAH i should get tickets or can't be too much of.
Speaker 4: Us, No i'm pretty excited about this pick BECAUSE i thought that he was going to go much higher because you had him on your.
Speaker 5: Board, NO i, mean like.
Speaker 4: They picked him at one ninety, six and you, KNOW i just looking at the consensus. Board WHEN i published my big, board the consensus ranking for him was one hundred and three and they drafted them at one ninety. Six elliott will talk after the. Draft maybe there's more to the story that we don't know about about why he fell ninety something picks off. Consensus but the one THING i would say is like WHEN i watched, HIM i didn't really feel like guard was in his. Future he actually played tight end early on and then put on weight and then became a, Tackle so he's already kind of moved one spot over. Already SO i didn't watch him and, think you know that he had like he doesn't play like a. Guard he plays a little bit more, upright is you know. Lamb his like leverage is a little bit more higher. Cut so, LIKE i didn't really see him as someone that could play, guard BUT i did see him as like a classic McDaniel's right, tackle and McDaniel's historically has had The Marcus cannons like that kind of right tackle that was just like a rogue grading type of. Player and that's like what this guy sort of reminded me of. Of SO i think that this is pretty solid pick. Here this is WHAT i wanted them to do in this, round was, like all these guys that have fallen through the cracks for whatever, reason just just take some, darts you, know throw some darts on some of these guys and hopefully some of them work. OUT i think they traded out.
Speaker 20: Again, yeah The, vikings and that's going to be until two thirty. Four all, Right, well so that means we should probably wrap things up so you guys can get to.
Speaker 5: Work we didn't add a, pick, though we did not for next.
Speaker 2: Year, yeah well we're gonna need that next.
Speaker 5: YEAR i don't care same.
Speaker 2: Today all, Right, okay that's.
Speaker 20: It it's been a Good draft, twenty great.
Speaker 2: Weekend patriots are continuing to add a couple. Players we'll have all of that On patriots Dot com and our other. Platforms Elliott wolf will be speaking live On patriots Dot com at the end of the seventh, round so we'll get his explanation for what he. Did we'll have stuff from the draft, room you, know uh calls to the, players the players will have their press, conference so there's a lot of content that will still to come On patriots Dot com later this afternoon in, too so stick with. Us we'll be back On, Tuesday Patriots unfiltered to have really have had time to digest, everything and we'll get into it. Then but for, now For, duce For, evan For, paul, Myself Matt morrell and the booth and everybody behind the. Scenes thank you for sticking with us all. Weekend it's been a fun. Draft you, know it Wasn't there wasn't a lot of quarterbacks involved this, year BUT i think it was an interesting draft and one we might be talking about for a few years to. Come, yeah if it works out for The patriots and four six round picks next, Year so get ready for all, Right.
Speaker 4: Paul can't.
Speaker 5: Wait have a good rest of your.
Speaker 2: Weekend, hey this Is.
Speaker 5: Deuce thanks for tuning into the. Show if you really want to help, us make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts Like Apple podcasts Or. Spotify also make sure you follow us on The New England patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at The. Patriots thanks a, lot