Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid Verbal.
Speaker 2: I'm that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Edo State?
Speaker 2: Is that? Whoo whoo?
Speaker 1: And Don and.
Speaker 2: Tye, welcome back to the Solid Verbal, Boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand. Joining me as always my good friend Dan Rubinstein. Way over there, And where.
Speaker 1: Are you today?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 1: I'm in Miami? Tie, Miami. Yeah I was. I was half hoping that you would have the welcome to me? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What are you doing down there?
Speaker 1: Uh? Not not much. I honestly, I don't have much to do. And Jody with and I had a work trip down here, and I said, you know what, I'm just gonna follow you on down to Miami. And it's it's pretty nice down here, Ty, it is. It is pretty nice. I'm not that far from the U.
Speaker 2: Okay, the free agent lifestyle is suiting well.
Speaker 1: I see it's suiting me well. And there's something I want to bring up, Ty. Yeah, there's a scene from a classic sports movie, maybe the most classic sports movie of all. There's a scene from Cool Runnings, right, and I've referenced this I want to say before on the show, but maybe I just referenced it so much. I don't know where and when. But there's a scene from the movie like before, you know, the night before a big race. God, what was the name of the main character. I know it's Leon is the actor, Okay, Derese direct, whatever it is. It was not Dougie Doug, but he was the leader. And he was in the bathtub the night before the race, an empty bathtub.
Speaker 2: Sort of going through mentally the paces of the track. I remember the paces of the track, this curve and this curve. And John Candy, the coach, was like, this is what separates you. You know, all the greats are wired like this. And as I was sitting on the beach at like I don't know, three forty five pm and realized it's probably gonna there's probably be some traffic in Miami, I gotta get back to record the show. I'm going to say this right now, Ty, Lesser college football podcasts would not have made the sacrifice. No, I'm a very stupid person. But here we are, Ty, this is what separates us. Come rain or shine or beautiful Miami sands. We are the cool Runnings leader of podcast consistence. Why didn't you record from the beach in retrospect?
Speaker 1: I should have.
Speaker 2: We could have figured out some way to record from the beach.
Speaker 1: Data has been shaky, tie data. You know, I've been running up some data bills. But I could have recorded. This was now Jody with and I her one of her best friend's moms has a place on the beach, and it was it was real nice. T I had a good sandwich and some donuts for lunch. Was taking a nap and listen to a podcast. Life is good down here, Ty, I may never leave. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome aboard, Thank you, Thank you for sacrificing your beautiful beach day.
Speaker 1: Hey you come and talk college for But I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm a little tired today, but you know, I'm hanging in and I'm excited that I get to chat with you again about college football. If you're yep, just joining us for the first time. Hello, Welcome. My name is Ty, He's Dan. We run a little show here called the Solid Verbal, which you can find at solidverbal dot com. We're also on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. We're out on Reddit. You can find as on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, anywhere, or you can find a podcast. You can also find our show and what we do here. We like to talk college football year round. Now, as you can tell from the first I don't know handful of minutes there. We don't always start out that way, but I promise you that tonight that is where we are headed.
Speaker 1: Last week we did Q and a show. This week we're doing a show we're calling Spring Forward Dan oh my god, the drama. Yeah. What we have is we have sort of a list, a litany, I don't know whatever the word is. We have an array of topics that we want to discuss as it relates to spring football and what it may mean, whether it's quarterback battles or new code or any possible injuries or transfers or people that once we started gazing upon twenty eighteen rosters and seeing who's gone, seeing how recruiting classes have gone, that like maybe early on there's some skepticism, or maybe early on there's like a by low element because of what the rest of a certain conference looks like or who's incoming whatever. But let's basically we've selected five topics each yep. That's sort of spanning from the positive to the negative and everything in between. I don't know all that much about your topics that you've had the opportunity to deep dive, and hopefully you have some curiosities about the topics I've chosen to deep dive. So I think we're just going to sort of go back and forth with these and figure out how not necessarily major but in the grand scope of things, interesting curious topics, what direction they're going in. So I'm excited for this because it's already twenty eighteen, and because of twenty eighteen, we have talked about the twenty eighteen season. We cannot continue to look back or always just be big picture tie. Sometimes it's time to put on that information. Snorkel and dive in.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely right, and it is. It's supposedly spring now here on the East Coast. They keep telling us this, although I saw a forecast calling for another one to three inches of snow on Saturday, which is going to ruin a golf round that I have I'm sorry, previously scheduled. Yeah, so they claim that we're in the midst of springtime here, and as you know this time of year, once you get to April, it is time to start talking about spring football. Spring practices are very much a thing, Spring games, scrimmages, whatever you want to call them, weird formats, very much a thing. And it is this time of year where we start looking at twenty eighteen and all right, who are the incoming freshmen? What are the big spring storylines that we need to pay attention to. We need to start doing some research on our end, hopefully to get all y'all prepared for what's coming over the coming days and weeks, and says we begin the slow march towards the twenty eighteen regular college football season.
Speaker 1: That's what we do. I'm getting tierry just hearing you say y'all instead of ya'all. That's right? That really does you know? People don't believe in evolution? Tie, And this is the proof right here that you and I have grown all right, So, as you mentioned, what we did is we picked out five basic buckets of questions that we wanted to ask each other.
Speaker 2: By no means is this intended to be a lecture. I think we want to go back and forth and talk through some of these topics. So why don't I get things started here?
Speaker 1: I would say it's not a lecture tie. It is a competition to see who can get closest to being maybe.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, I'll go with that. That works for me, so all right, first question here, a lot of movement on the coaching carousel, right m hm. My first question to you, is it true or not true that new Florida head football coach Dan Mullen is just a quarterback away from returning the Gators to prominence.
Speaker 1: Is that a true statement? No, I don't think. I don't think that's all that there is. I think that is a question. I think, like a good cake, it's sort of multi layered. Ty. I would imagine if he is able to solve quarterback, a number of things will fall into place. Okay, but recruiting quarterbacks of the state of Florida is not it's sort of under the radar. A difficult thing because high school quarterbacks in Florida have a pretty difficult time playing against defense. Is with perhaps the highest talent level in the country in terms of high school athletes playing on defense, So that is a little bit tricky. He is getting credit for being a Florida guy, that's right. Oh, he gets how it works. Welcome Welcome home, Dan, Right, that's sort of very abstract thing, like he just gets it, which doesn't always actual work. But I think there is something true to saying if he can figure out quarterback, And it did seem like Jim mckawayne had things figured out at quarterback a couple of years ago when Will Greer, especially after that Old Miss game, looked as good as he did. So it hasn't been all that long since Florida fans were rightfully confident that things were finally figured out at quarterback. That said, I think there are questions about recruiting with how well Willie Taggart and Mark Richt are going to continue to do in Florida that Dan Mullen can't take a back seat. And I think his staff has been put together with the understanding of you know, obviously both coaching, but people that understand recruiting in Florida. So I think that's going to continue to be an enormous, enormous challenge. And honestly, this is a Florida team he takes over that now has the biggest juggernaut perhaps the East has seen since the mid two thousand.
Speaker 2: See, that's where I was, That's where I was going to go with this.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to I'm going to give the Floria to you. Tie, is what slice of the pie to you in your deep dive? Is the quarterback question given the broader context of his job now, No.
Speaker 2: I think we're very much on the same page on this one. The reason I asked the question, by the way, is because it's really been a popular talking point ever since we heard that Dan Mullen was getting the job. Hell, I've gone there without even really thinking about it. Of course, Dan Mullen's ability to recruit and develop quarterbacks. Of course, if he can do that in Gainesville, it's going to help. Florida was one hundred and second in the nation in passing offense last year. Anything at quote you or I could help at this point, all right. It was absolutely the biggest Achilles heel for them last year, and quite honestly, maybe with the exception of Will Greer, maybe the last eight seasons before last, I have not had any stability at quarterbacks since, like t Bow in two thousand and nine. So I think at a minimum, Florida is a quarterback away from taking a big step forward.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Now, I preface that by saying that your point is spot on. It's not the only thing going on at Florida, and that is due I think in large part two, as you alluded, Georgia is revving up. We've got new promise at South Carolina and missou We've got I would argue, Georgia is revved Yeah. With the road they're at like seven thousand rpm. Yes, who knows what happens at Tennessee. If Jeremy Pruitt can give them some stability, and then you've got the continued edition of coaching talent. In the West, it's just it's like not cut and dry anymore. So quarterback's going to help, and certainly if Emery Jones or Felipe Franks, I don't know who quarterback is going to be, probably Emory Jones. But if that position grouping can work out, it's going to elevate the Gators. It just doesn't feel like they're one piece away anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dan Mullen's his offenses, granted, in the West and different animals still at this point than the East, have been pretty inconsistent, though quarterback has been pretty consistently impressive. I know Mississippi State took a step back offensively this past year. They finished thirteenth out of fourteen in terms of yards per play versus SEC teams. They were sort of middle of the pack the year before. But twenty fifteen, which would have been what Dack's final year, yep, they were fourth in the conference offensively. The year before that fourth in the conference. So there is there is a track record if he does have that top level quarterback with Nick Fitzgerald, you know, at a healthy place. You know, has been pretty impressive against good teams. You know, Missippi State the closest team to beating Alabama last season during the regular season before they actually did lose to Auburn. I am confident that Dan Mullen is going to be able to develop quarterbacks. To me, the almost I think the bigger question is actually going to be recruiting and coaching staff fit for Dan Mullen at Florida because it's going to be so tricky with Willy Taggart and Mark Rick operating at at full speed in the same state for the same blue chip kit.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, so I think what we're both saying here is that Dan mullin the Florida Gators are a quarterback away from taking a giant step forward. Yes, on some level, But the question is much different now than it was in twenty fifteen. In twenty sixteen, where you might have answered differently, there's just too many other moving parts here to really feel confident that they're just a quarterback away. Okay, so let's go. All right, we answered my new coach related question. Yes, what is yours? That you've been mulling here in the springtime?
Speaker 1: So I've been trying to think about, and I know this is going to come as a shock to everybody, but what the actual timeline looks like for chip Kelly and UCLA and getting to a place where they don't necessarily resemble what they look like at Oregon because the and you know he had dentistison when he came to to Eugene. But how long it will take for everybody that is watching a UCLA game to look at UCLA and say, oh, yeah, no, he's got them humming right. This is this is what they will This is what they should look like, given them being a chip Kelly team. So what are your thoughts as for given what their returned, given what they sort of recruited to before, which is like three different offenses essentially what what to you seems like a realistic timeline.
Speaker 2: So Charles Edward, don't call me. Chip Kelly took over at UCLA. It was a big deal for obvious reasons. Is it going to pain you just a little bit to see the UCLA logo on that white visor more than a little yeah? Yeah, you can be okay, you can be okay, buddy TBD, Well, I'm kind of mixed on this. U CLA. Their biggest problem over the last couple of years, just in terms of what they're putting out there on the field as a product, has really been defense. Defense has been a total tire fire.
Speaker 1: They had a nice little run in twenty sixteen when they had NFL talent and then just fell off a cliff.
Speaker 2: They fell off a cliff, and they've had injury issues, but by a large, defense has really been an issue. Now, if you can go out and get Chip Kelly, you go out and get Chip Kelly. I'm fine with that move. But UCLA fans will feel like things are moving in a much more positive direction when they're not giving up thirty five points a game.
Speaker 1: Chip Kelly, to me, did not prove on.
Speaker 2: Any level that he could do that on offense, I am curious to see how he utilizes the guys that are there. I think he's got enough talent at running back. He's got guys like Theo Howard who are versatile enough that they can run in that system. You know, Howard being a wide receiver. But he's got guys that he can utilize to run that system. I think it'll be fun to watch. I think he gets a little bit of a longer leash because he's such a high profile coach, probably the most high profile coach that UCLA has had in quite some time, as far back as I can remember. So they're going to give him plenty of time to get this job done until you know, he decides to go elsewhere essentially, So I don't know if timeline is so much of an issue, but I think it's going to take him, I don't know, three years to get this thing hum in the way.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, Okay, so a few things to sort of download there. Jerry Asinaro is the defensive coordinator. I love Jerry asnarrow what he was able to do with the Oregon defense. I fully do not believe UCLA upfront has the depth and talent right now especially on the inside, because I know Jalen Phillips is great and can be a great pass rusher. I don't think UCLA upfront on defense and really all that many places on defense. How other are pieces. Darnay Holmes promising corner. He was like the number one corner of the country a couple of years ago. I think there's talent, but more than anything, if UCLA is going to be playing with tempo, which at times they will be with ship Kelly, I remember he doesn't go with blur offense all the time. He plays with different speeds. But the big thing for Oregon when they really got to a good place was when they had depth on defense. They're rotating in a bunch of guys and keeping legs fresh as they were scoring super quickly, so they were building the depth and they were staying fresh on defense, and I think they will do a lot of that. At quarterback. There's an incoming true freshman that is promising, but I don't think he's on campus yet. Dor and Thompson Robinson same high school as Tate Martel, of course, who has committed tex A and m is now at Ohio State, so he's not there yet. And they thought they were getting a grad transfer kJ cart of Samuels from Washington, Jake Browning's back up. But you know, everybody, he committed to UCLA and everybody assumed he was going there and then decommitted and is going to Colorado State, which maybe, you know, an enrollment academic thing. I don't know why if you have the opportunity to start for Ship Kelly at UCLA, you'd end up in Colorado State. But I don't have the full story, and I won't pretend like I do. And so that leaves Devin Modster basically, who had a good first half of a bowl game. That's really the thing we're most encouraged by against Kansas State before UCLA just collapsed against the Wildcats. So Devin monster built, if you were to compare them to any of the Oregon quarterbacks, more like a Masoli type, maybe like six foot six y one, but built solidly to ten two fifteen. But they've been recruiting to a much more pro style system. They went to Kennedy Palamalu and then and then this past year Jedfish to run the offense for Josh Rosen strengths. So I think it's going to take some time. I like the staff Chip Kelly has put together. I think there are going to be moments. I think UCLA should be able to beat a team or two that looks questionable on paper this year, especially with how in Influx the South looks. But I think to expect anything significant in year one, even with some interesting pieces, I think is a stretch. So I think by the second half of twenty nineteen is when it's realistic to look at UCLA and say, this is what we expect from a chip Kelly identity team. I think that's the answer, because they're going to recruit well. They need to get the big bodies up front on defense, especially to rotate in and out. But I think they're going to get to a point by the middle of next season where you're going to be able to recognize this bruin team as a chip Kelly team. I think the other component here, at least in the short term, is how Influx the back twelve South is. Sure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know, Chip Kelly runs a scheme that can definitely catch you off guard, even if he doesn't have all the pieces in place the way he might like. So there's definitely a chance to your point that he can knock off a couple teams that you wouldn't think UCLA is equipped to beat.
Speaker 1: And he's calling plays I assume because he doesn't really have a true offensive coordinator. He's got a quarterbacks coach. So there's the confidence that you are getting exactly what you signed up for. You know, he's not passing off anything, at least in the short term, So you're getting the best of Chip Kelly. You're getting his eyes on a play to play basis. All right, very good.
Speaker 2: So you're saying about midway through year two, I'm saying around the same period of time.
Speaker 1: But year three, yeah, I would say ordinarily that I think you'd be right. But I think they're going to be able to attract enough people it'll be a better version recruiting wise, in what he was able to attract at Oregon because of the location, because of the school, and because of just his reputation at this point.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on, let's go to quarterback battles. Yes, Daniel her very quietly, and I know you've looked at this, I said her, and I'm not sure why, but continue the real story of this coming preseason I think is the number of high profile quarterback battles that we got out. There's a lot hurts against two A tongue of Ilawa is clearly the big one in the country that will take place down at Alabama, But in truth, there are like fifteen others around college football. I just want to put it right here. I personally love each and every.
Speaker 1: One of them. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I love quarterback battles. I might love to see when at Notre Dame. We're gonna talk about that maybe a little bit more wow. But the ones that I like the most are the ones that when you say, hey, ty, who do you think is going to be quarterback at school? X?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: The ones that I like the most are when my honest response is that I don't.
Speaker 1: Know anything about the contenders.
Speaker 2: Sure like, I'm not supposed to say that because we host this show and it's a big thing and all that, but I know overballers have my back on this one. Not always do you know who all the contenders are? And so with that is the backdrop Dan who will be the starting quarter back for LSU in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it depends what they want this offense to look like. Miles Brennan obviously got a number of reps last year, coming in at times for Danny Etling, who again, I think there are stickers to this effect, like Danny Etling is a pretty good quarterback with something like that, I forget the exact verbiage, but Miles Brennan was a high profile kid and a high profile commit coming into LSU, so he got the time last year and giving the experience. I guess really on both sides of the ball. You know, I know they lost a couple of big pieces on offense, but I mean that's highlighted obviously by Darius Guice. But given what's back, especially on defense, I am I am curious the effect that possibly, in big capital letters, solid quarterback play at LSU continued solid quarterback play, if not good quarterback play at LSU, will have on this team. So my gues would Miles Brennan. But I can't tell you. I know this up the chart, okay, And that's fair. That's why we're bringing this up. That's why I brought it up because I was in a similar position. Miles Brennan needs a sophomore, former four star, highly recruited pro style kid. You've also got Justin McMillan, a red shirt junior, a three star kid, and then my favorite name of the bunch, Loel Narcis. He is a red shirt freshman and formerly a four star more of a dual threat kid, decommitted from Auburn to come to LSU. There is not much experience here. Miles Brennan is the most experienced, but collectively between these three guys, he only threw something like twenty five passes in twenty seventeen, so we're talking really truly full reboot at quarterback. We've also got turnover at offensive coordinator. With Matt Canada leaving, ed Orgeron has promoted from within. The new coordinator is a gentleman by the name of Steve Enspinger. Yeah old new guy, new old guy. Yeah, he's been around. He's been around for a while.
Speaker 2: If that name doesn't sound familiar, that's okay. What you need to know is that he was the interromoc back in twenty sixteen. I guess when Oderan took over for like the final eight games of the.
Speaker 1: Year and had a really nice run. He did.
Speaker 2: They won six of those eight games, didn't do all that well offensively against teams like Alabama, in Florida. But it was certainly a big step up from what we saw under Cam Cameron for sure.
Speaker 1: So there's that.
Speaker 2: I think the two names you're gonna hear the most about our Miles Brennan and my boy Lowell Narcis.
Speaker 1: Okay, who would you give the Edge two? Because these are two guys. I mean, Brendan obviously has the playing time, Edge Narcis has the name Edge a name, and that it's more fun to say so to you because I from what I can remember, it's a more not necessarily pro style, but more traditional. It's just take a lot of chances and yeah, it's whereas where Matt Canada had employed a lot of shiftin was certainly multiple. I don't think he was a spread guy necessarily, but definitely multiple and more creative than what LSU had shown in years past with relying on a lot of fly action and that kind of stete. That's right, That's right. So Ensminger is more of a throwback.
Speaker 2: He is. He is absolutely more pro style than Matt Canada. If Matt Canada is a hybrid between pro style and spread, which I think is mostly accurate, An Sminger is much much more on the pro style side of that equation. If you look back to what he ran in twenty sixteen when he was the intermoc, it was much more pro style oriented, and I think just because of that, Miles Brannan is probably the guy. He's a better fit for his system like that, he's the best passer on the roster, and he has a little bit more experienced than the others. An Spinger hinted as much. He did a radio hit back in February and he said that Miles Brennan essentially would get like the first snap of spring practice.
Speaker 1: Which seems reasonable.
Speaker 2: It absolutely I think the smart money is on him. What I do want to throw out here though, just as an important side note, there will be calls for Lowell Narcis. He's got the way cooler name. He's a dual threat guy. He's a lefty, basically a bigger, more southern version of Maligue Zaire. And you know how I felt about Moliku Zaire when he was recruited out of Ohio, very excited, you know. So he's got a skill set there that Enspinger can utilize maybe in special sets. I hope for their sake, they don't try running the two quarterback system. I don't think that will go over well with LSU fans, given where they've been a that would not be a good idea. But I think you'll see a little bit of narsis. But Brenton's probably going to be the guy.
Speaker 1: So LSU goes nine to four last year, and there is something a little bit disconcerting about one year of an offensive coordinator, you know, whatever the fault was in the Matt Canada ed oors or on bigger pay relationship. Do you have and I say this knowing this is from Afar, do you have concerns about the idea of ed Orzron you know, as a sort of a look back on what went wrong for ed Orzron and saying, well, he had four offensive coordinators in four years and it's hard to win. You know, do you think that that is a possibility that he is not going to be able to find the guide to get LSU to where they should be considering their year in and year out talent level? No, one hundred percent? Then well could that that could be a part of a eulogy? Oh one hundred percent? And about worries?
Speaker 2: I don't I think that could be a convenient excuse if it doesn't work out for Ed Orsron. But on some level, if LSU, with all of their recruiting advantages, can't get back to where we both think LSU should be, h it probably speaks more to ed Orgeron than it does any coordinator.
Speaker 1: Don't you think, oh yeah, and that you know that's true of wil must Champ at Florida, yeah twice and ker Roper and whatever. And then you look at you know, Jimora and that he's owning the news cycle as an unemployed coach. And a lot of the reason why there were issues at UCLA was bad coordinator hires. It was Noel ma Zone who then took off, and then it was Kennedy Palamala who we mentioned, and Jedfish and that's tough for anybody to succeed with. And I'm talking anybody like the players on the team on the offense, just because the verbiage, which if you've listened to the Chris Brown episode, you know that's an incredibly difficult thing. And so this hopefully works out for LSU, but if it doesn't, it almost cements at or Juron's time at LSU.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, all right, where are you going on the quarterback front? Dan, what's your question entering spring?
Speaker 1: So we'll stay somewhat regional. I'm I'm super curious, and this is going to be a shocker again for everybody's shocked at Chip Kelly. What Florida State is going to look like a quarterback because there are two understandably decent cases for you know, James Blackman and DeAndre francecoisre and so I'm I'm curious because having seen Willy Taggart's offense last year, it appears and watching him at USF obviously it appears he likes running the quarterback. It appears he likes going with tempo, he likes having a workhorse running back, and he has that in cam Akers at Florida State. I am I think leaning towards James Blackman a little bit because of it, I am. And I don't think it's because he necessarily has a higher well, no, I think he does have a higher physical ceiling. I'm worried about DeAndre Francois and his sort of low percentage throwing downfield because that's what Willy Taggart likes to do, and the combination of Jimbo Fisher being a much more complicated offensive tactician than I think Willie Taggart will be. I think that's ideal for James Blackman's skill set, and I think his size gives him a leg up on DeAndre Francois, who's probably five to eleven six foot, So I think durability wise, arm wise, and just what he will be asked to do in a much simpler system. I think I'm actually leaning James Blackman moving forward, especially given the youth.
Speaker 2: So what I'm hearing is that stylistically, you think James Blackman, in his skill set, yes, is better equipped for a Willie Taggart system.
Speaker 1: This is correct, Man.
Speaker 2: I don't know, gosh, it just didn't feel like James Blackman knew what he was doing out there.
Speaker 1: And I don't think he did. There were plenty of.
Speaker 2: Games where you watched him and you didn't know if you knew where to throw the ball. It seemed like everything was a panic throw, and it just did not feel like from the start of the season to end of the season that he got a whole lot better.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something, Ty, if you watch college Jeopardy and you do super well, is it as impressive necessarily as winning regular Jeopardy. Not necessarily, No, but do you still win money and win an episode of Jeopardy. I have no idea where you're going with this, but yes, the answer is yes. I'm saying basically, mastering Jimbo Fisher's offense is probably more impressive than mastering Willie Taggart's as a quarterback. But if the end result is the same, and that's winning ACC games much more often than not, who really cares? Ty? Who really cares? And I think James Blackman might just be a college Jeopardy guy right now, and that's fine, that's wonderful. I think he can thrive in this offense, Okay, especially with perhaps the most talented running back talented, not the most prolific, but the most talented running back in the ACC next to him.
Speaker 2: I like DeAndre Francois more. Okay, I was not impressed at all with James Blackman in what I saw of him. You mentioned that he's big than DeAndre Francois, and that might be true, but he was like six' five one seventy a year.
Speaker 1: Ago it's.
Speaker 2: TRUE i mean there's a lot of exposed torso there that can be taken.
Speaker 1: OUT i wish we had done a spring practice fantasy things like mini. Draft, oh mini draft would because with the number one overall, PICK i may have taken so and so has added some completely unrealistic and not physically possible pounded forty pounds of. MUSCLE i remember reading something that, like if you add like ten or twelve pounds of muscle in a, year that's. Extraordinary now you can add functionally good, bulk that's. Fine but in terms of like you see the stories where, like, yeah this punter is like looking really, CUTTING i did really eight pounds of. Muscle, yeah what are you talking? About you hear it a lot with incoming freshman, Too, yes you hear it with incoming, Freshmen so, like, yeah he's up a robust twenty five pounds of. Muscle is, like so we have RoboCop, play, okay like just pure. Steel so, yes that's WHERE i would have gone with the number one overall fantasy things spring.
Speaker 2: Pick, well, Hey, Dan with that being, said if you are a business, person, businessman business, woman and you're looking for to add to your team because you always need great, people why not a better way to find? Them using our good friends over at zip, Recruiter, Dan oh my.
Speaker 1: God it makes things so much.
Speaker 2: Easier rather than just posting your job online and hoping very passively that the right person's gonna log onto your listing and submit their, Resume zip recruiter has a smarter way that they. Employ they built a whole platform that will match the right job candidates to your. Position they learn what you're looking, for they identify people with the right, Experience they invite them proactively to apply to your. Job they've revolutionized the way that you find your next Higher eighty percent of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site in just one.
Speaker 1: Day one.
Speaker 2: Day, wow it doesn't stop, There, DAN i Know i'm taking, Notes, TY i might need Some ZipRecruiter in my.
Speaker 1: Life the other, way sign up for their. Website. Dog do you Think jeopardy would Use ZipRecruiter to find? SOMEBODY i know this is A jeopardy centric show, today but they. Might they might look at ZipRecruiter to Replace. Trebek i'm, ready, guys are.
Speaker 2: The right candidates are out? There ZipRecruiter can help you find. Them businesses of all shapes and sizes trust them for all their hiring needs right. Now soliverable listeners can try ZipRecruiter for. Free that's for free by going to ZipRecruiter dot, com Slash solid sol id do. It ZipRecruiter dot, com Slash, solid ZipRecruiter dot com Slash. Solid it is the smartest way to Hire. Daniel with that being, said let's move. On, yeah we went through new coach, questions we went through quarterback battle related. Questions we've got a couple other ones. Here let's talk quickly about by low. Candidates what does by low mean to? You in Early april we talk about by low. Candidates are you talking about, things, entities systems that you are interested in investing in now because you think they will bear fruit Come? November or is it because you think it's just a topic that we're going to hear a lot more of come Early.
Speaker 1: June it could be any of those. Things it could to, me it basically means who could we potentially be sleeping on as a team or, position group or side of the ball that could see significant improvement in twenty, eighteen both because of personnel and experience and recruiting or just the context of a schedule or what other teams look like that are in their division or in their. Conference so it's somebody, that LIKE i probably am looking at contenders or really impressive. Teams i'm probably sleeping on at the moment just because they haven't been there. Recently so who do you, have, ty who is your? CANDIDATE i would say to make a, leap an unexpected leap for whoever they, play for whoever they. Coach team is hit.
Speaker 2: Me we Mentioned Matt canada AT. Lsu it didn't work out AT, lsu But Matt canada is now At. Maryland, yeah as the offensive COORDINATOR Dj, durkin who we've had on the. Program he Had Walt, bell young like thirty three year old offensive. Coordinator he Left maryland to Run Willie taggart's offense down there At Florida.
Speaker 1: State.
Speaker 2: Correct So Dj durkin acted. Quickly he did what he's done all along since he got the college park and he went. Out he got a coach In Matt canada as an assistant who has a ton of. Experience the guys on that staff had a ton of experience, indeed And Mat canada now he's been at seven schools in the last nine. Years it's been a weird trip for. Him everyone was so excited for him to go To. Las you didn't quite work. Out but nobody will ever Fault Matt canada for not having varied experience across the. Country and now for him to come in to That maryland team WITH i think an interesting personnel group provided they can stay. Healthy oh my, god TY i am secretly very excited about what he can do BECAUSE i think it's a really good. Fit, OKAY i think it's a good fit because what's his, Stick Matt?
Speaker 1: Canada the fly sweep, action the motion, Right, yeah a lot of a lot of, motions a lot of trying to stretch linebackers to open things.
Speaker 2: Up maybe it's that the motions creating emotion for.
Speaker 1: ME i don't.
Speaker 2: Know but got a lot of guys moving around pre, snap tries to create. Confusion he loves the jet sweep to fall that, stuff, right trying to stretch your defense outside to side to create opportunities down the. Field WHAT i like about the Setup Dan Borton Schlager definitely Not, bortschlager definitely not. That. Okay the offense has a bunch of guys with good speed who can make you. Miss true Ty, Johnson anthony, McFarlane Dj. Turner Matt canada is gonna be in a position where he can try out some different stuff this year because of these. Guys the caveat is Health. Maryland everybody got hurt From maryland last. Year they, did and we're not fully going to know the health Of, Tyrrell Pigram Cassim hill at quarterback till like later in the. Year they're not going to do anything the. Spring both of them tore acls last. Year the offensive line might be healthier later in the. Year if this all comes, together it's going to happen late. Summer it's gonna happen all at, once assuming good. Health it seems Like Matt canada could build a, sneaky dangerous ground attack here At maryland with a lot of guys that have interesting skill.
Speaker 1: Sets So maryland is on a winning streak Against texas and they opened up the season with. THEM i believe it's at home In College. Park the good news about their, Schedule AND i think there's some merit to what you're, saying Because Penn state's defense should be a step, worse, yes sure than where they Were Ohio. STATE i mean they closed the season With Ohio state And Penn. State But Ohio state has had this other worldly pass rush that probably won't be quite the, same but they've recruited at such a crazy high level that maybe it'll be that way by the end of the. Season but big, picture we're not going to do any sort of deep dive Into maryland. Schedule they do not have until That Ohio State Penn state at the end of the season two real tough games in a row at any, point so hopefully things don't get. Compounded hopefully they have bounced back opportunities if things go, wrong if there are, injuries hopefully their minor if they, Exist maryland should be in an okay place with a promising offensive. COORDINATOR i think that's a good pick.
Speaker 2: TIME i THINK i think that will be a tremendously fascinating story to.
Speaker 1: Watch, yeah that's sort of under the.
Speaker 2: RADAR i would imagine bull Threat maryland definitely definitely all, right where are you going by Low.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go With, texas not, Necessarily, Yeah i'm jumping on the tile to Rent texas.
Speaker 2: Horse are you saying That texas is Still texas or will return to Being texas Under Tom, HERMAN.
Speaker 1: I am saying the. Following i'm, saying in terms of things they can't, Control texas is in a pretty good. Spot in terms of things they have been able to control, personnel namely young. Personnel, recruiting they've controlled it very. Well they were able to hold on to perhaps their most important, recruit and that is Keeping Todd. Orlando they give him a sizeable. Bonus and we saw the second half of you know what that defense looked. Like it was something called it was light it was a lightning. DEFENSE i forget it was lightning dime whatever it. Was they like kept five or six DB's on the field the whole, time and Ordinarily i'd be pretty. Worried No Holton, hill No Deshaun, elliott No Puna ford up. Front we loved what do we call, him the mini, Fridge jini. Fridge, yeah but they recruited well. Enough and Brecken hager's still. There Gary, johnson whose name sounds like he's a state? Comtroller do states have? Controllers is it a county? Thing they?
Speaker 2: Could Gary johnson ran for, president.
Speaker 1: That's, True that's why the name is so. Familiar, yeah but there's a ton of talent and that's the position of the. Position group of strength last year in the recruiting class was DEFENSIVE, bac namely. Safety so they bring in a ton of talent. There Herb hand comes in to coach the offensive. LINE i know they got the grad transfer the big offensive. Lineman even with Losing Connor. Williams i'm worried about the offensive. Line they have crazy talent talent or maybe crazy talent Options at, Quarterback i'm still worried about quarterback Four, texas but they add in two blue chip quarters that are early. Enrollees SO i don't think they're going to stick with any one guy if it's not working out In. September because that's what we've seen from This Tim beck And Tom herman. Offense the thing that they can't control that is. Advantageous look at the big twelve quarterback situation outside Of, texas it's not. Wonderful Mason Rudolph Oklahoma state. Gone Baker, mayfield generational quarterback for The sooners. Gone where's he? Gone? Yeah Kyler murray will probably be fun and, exciting but we don't. Know we don't, know and he had some off field issues At. TEXAS a and m are really on field issues with dealing with coaches and discipline At TEXAS a AND m that we hope doesn't rear its ugly head again In. Norman but that's An oklahoma team that defensively they can be had a little bit, ty and they lost big pieces on that side of the. Ball, Okay, Taylor i'm not going to be super excited ABOUT tcu is going to have a new quarterback situation WITH Qb frogs whatever he's. Gone Sean ROBINSON i, like but it's a, question and it's a real.
Speaker 2: Question my question About, texas, though, yes is they have some turnover on.
Speaker 1: Defense.
Speaker 2: Correct how Will Todd orlando deal with? That you, Know Malik jefferson leaving for THE nfl. Enormous they need some leadership on that, defense which sometimes takes a few weeks to. Materialize it does, help, though to your point that quarterback as a whole in The big twelve is very much a position of.
Speaker 1: NEED i think they should be able to Eat. MARYLAND i think they should be able to start a new winning streak Against maryland and because of this. Defense what strange to me About, texas which is Why i'm not fully on. Board But i'm buying low in terms of. Improvement they go seven and six last year thanks to a bowl. WIN i think it was Against missouri and The Texas. Bowl the thing THAT i like About texas is that. Defense the thing and quarterback depth frankly at this, point but the thing that confuses. Me they don't have arunning. Back, no they. DON'T i don't know how The Texas longhorns, ever don't have three dudes who you're, like who's gonna get the? Ball there's so much talent since don to forman a couple of years, ago it just seems like the running back depth. CHART i know there's there's promising guys on certain, levels but they should it should look like you know what LSU's running back depth chart has looked. Like it should look like What alabama's has looked. Like there's just too much talent there for there ever to be a question of Does texas have a guy that seems so weird to? Me so that'll be interesting to me and see what Herb hand's influence is as he's his running games have been very good everywhere he's. GONE i know people haven't liked his past protection at. Times Pence state Nit neylon, fans But I'm i'm so curious to see why this is not happening and if anybody actually steps up and if they're able to find that. Person, Yeah texas could win eight or nine, games, Absolutely.
Speaker 2: SO i am sensing AND i am tipped off a little bit to this Because i've got it in front of. Me But i'm, sensing based on what you said regarding The Big twelve and Specifically, oklahoma that while you're buying low On, texas you have sufficient reason to sell high On. Oklahoma and it's in front of. Me SO i know that's a, Selection but why are you why are you inclined to sell high On oklahoma?
Speaker 1: Now So i'll be clear about, THIS i am holding on to all of My Lincoln riley, Stock, OKAY i am selling high On oklahoma right now BECAUSE i don't know if people fully appreciate how Great Baker mayfield. Was i'm Sure oklahoma fans, do but within the context of This oklahoma program FROM, afar he was. Incredible And oklahoma's had incredible guys in the, past And Jason white And Sam, bradford but there was something About Baker mayfield that he was he over he basically single handedly overcame so. Much you, know you lose Ded, westbrook no, problem you lose you, know the two great running backs that they had In joe Mixon'smaj PRO, i no. Problem Ronnie anderson steps. Up But Baker mayfield running that offense was such a high degree of football beauty that even If Kyler murray is pretty, good there are so many questions about this defense who, Lost like the actual two good. Pieces the pass rushers that they had were so leaky and it didn't really matter until like the final eighteen seconds of The georgia, game THAT i think without that talent on, offense and the fact That Lincoln riley is still coaching a staff that he didn't really, hire it's it's still sort of a holdover, situation so it's not really his full, vision it. Seems once he gets to that, POINT i Think i'm going to be all. In this is just selling high On oklahoma as a playoff contenency because that's where they've. Been SO i See oklahoma as a top twenty team right. Now but if they finish the, season you, know seventeen, eighteen nineteen in the in the in any of the, rankings then that will seem about right considering what they've had to turn.
Speaker 2: OVER i think we're actually of one mind on this. ISSUE i didn't Go, oklahoma but my reasoning is very very. Similar as you, know there are a lot of reasons you can sell high on, something and not all of them are because you think something's going to instantly, tank, Right especially on this, show we don't always like to highlight the. Negative we try to look at things. Positively, yeah And i'm not going to root for. Anything there's a ton positive About. Oklahoma oh, Yeah, yeah, Absolutely i'm just not going to root for anything to instantly. Tank the other reason that you can sell high IS i think for the reason that you're Going oklahoma. Here sometimes you just want to cash in your chips when you've got a. Profit, sure, yeah been on a. Heater that's sort of HOW i feel WITH ucf right.
Speaker 1: Now in their.
Speaker 2: Offense, sure their offense led the nation last year forty eight points per, game which is, incredible second only Two oklahoma in yards per.
Speaker 1: Play the numbers were ridiculous off the.
Speaker 2: Charts now they brought in another offensive minded guy In Josh Houppel Hoypool oklahoma connection by the, Way, yeah to run the program Because Scott frost went up To. Nebraska my, question and the one THAT i think ultimately led me in this, direction is how much better can they really get an? Offense, Sure i'm not selling BECAUSE i think it all goes off the, cliff But Mackenzie milton thirty seven touchdowns over four thousand. Yards the offensive line has a lot coming, back plenty of talent at running. Back defense maybe an, issue but we're not talking about defense. Here there's a lot of firepower on, offense And i'm sure they'll be very. Good i'm just not nearly as fired up About hoypol as i Am Scott. Frost maybe it's a me. THING i don't, know But i'm just wondering how much better it could possibly.
Speaker 1: Get it stopped me when you get to WHEN i get to a defense that is ON ucf. Schedule AND i don't disagree with what you're, saying BUT i think it might be hard to discern because they bring back such a good quarterback and you, know a roster of players that have succeeded on such a high level in terms of. Production Yukon South Carolina, State North CAROLINA, fau WHICH i mean THAT i cannot wait for that. Game, yeah That's september twenty First, PITT, Smu, MEMPHIS, Ecu, Temple, Navy, cincinnati MAYBE. Usf. NO i like USF's, defense but there's nobody that jumps out immediately as, Like, okay that's gonna be a big. Test. Yeah, no you're coming off a win Against auburn against moving the ball Against. Auburn granted a bowl, game but same. Players this wasn't An AUBURN b TEAM i. LIKE i like THE ucf.
Speaker 2: Team this, offense led By Mackenzie milton in the passing game was that something like ten point two yards per? Attempt to very much a big play, team all. RIGHT i just don't know how much better they can? Do, sure and SO i am. Inclined IF i am an investor here to take my profits and, RUN i will root FOR youcf to win a second consecutive national. Championship mind, you will you make me a?
Speaker 1: Promise depends on the, Promise but all season, long will you call their Coach josh hoitpol instead Of, hypel Which i'm pretty sure It's Hypel Josh.
Speaker 2: HOIL i could do that for. You, Yeah i'm an enormous fan thank, You and that brings us to our final. Question then we've got a wild card question in. Here we both reached into the, hat both reached deep into the dark corners of our minds to find a wild card question that didn't really fit into any of these. Categories correct or maybe in my case it sort of. Did what's your wild card? Question now as we enter, Spring.
Speaker 1: So we've reached the, point AND i think pretty. Fairly and as we've seen coaches evolve throughout the, years knowing that they don't have all that much, time they could be. Fired you know two years after reaching a national championship game that there is more and more pressure to get the best players on the, field regardless of, age regardless of. Experience, okay and we've seen situations really work. Out you, Know Deshaun watson coming in Against georgia and Replacing Cole stout as a true freshman in his very first. Game you, Know Cole stout had the you, know got a couple more, games But Deshaun watson eventually took the reins and held on to that job as long as he wanted it and to attack of aaloa in The National championship, game coming in in the second half and. Starting What i'm curious, about and this Includes, alabama but not fully because we know What tua is. Is we have two high profile, schools the two best incoming freshmen are being tied to stories like could he win this? Battle as true early and roly true. Freshmen i'm talking About Justin fields At. GEORGIA i know that sounds, preposterous And i'm with, you it does sound. Preposterous And Trevor lawrence At clemson With Kelly, bryant who let us, Remember Kelly bryant led his team to The College Football playoff and won THE acc in his first year starting at, quarterback which is pretty damn. Good he was awful Against, alabama but the totality of his work WAS i would, say very. IMPRESSIVE i am curious to what extent in every case is going to be, different but to what extent these high profile and as quarterbacks come into college football more and more prepared because it's now a year round sport playing quarterback and just look more and more polished earlier, On are we actually going to have a quarterback battle at these? Places because the ceiling of these freshmen and these, again our freshmen that we know nothing about in terms of readiness for high level college. Football Like jake fromm was, Awesome he was flat out. Awesome Could Justin fields be better than flat out? Awesome maybe? Eventually? Sure who. Knows people seem to think he has the talent. Too Could Trevor lawrence be better than a playoff getting two? Quarterback? Yeah? Maybe? Probably, yeah but that's already a question in the. Spring as you look around college, football these, top, top top level guys coming in because of success recent success of true freshmen Like tutangueavaloa And Deshaun watson a couple of years ago at At. Clemson should we take these battles? Seriously as you, Know Kirby smart And Davils twenny have you, know the most job security outside Of Nick. Saban, probably but things can turn and they don't seem to be. AFRAID i am fascinated with the fact that these freshmen are probably going to get pretty serious, looks which is. Crazy.
Speaker 2: YEAH i, mean talk about two guys who have really been highly sought. After we've heard about both of, them both of them for years. Now And Justin fields At georgia to me is something THAT i find a bit confounding.
Speaker 1: That there's some off the charts confidence.
Speaker 2: There oh there really is for him to go To georgia at, all to me was a questionable decision given the success That Jake from, had and ESPECIALLY i think given What Kirby smart was witnessed to At, alabama a lot of quarterbacks that were similar To Jake from, right a guy who can go out there and be at least to start a little bit more than a game manager and still take a team to incredible. Heights Jake fromb's only going to continue to, improve even if he doesn't have quite the skill set of a guy Like Justin.
Speaker 1: Fields. MAN i Love jake From i'm not a bad.
Speaker 2: Option he's a really good. Option he got them into The national. Championship, yeah he almost won The national Champions.
Speaker 1: And he wasn't just handing the ball, off and he wasn't just shown. Down we're going down field accurately and.
Speaker 2: Confidently when the season started And Jacob eason got, hurt, yeah everyone expected That from who was a true freshman in his own ride a year, ago would come in there and be a game. Manager he would hand the ball off To Sony michelle And Nick chubb they would win with, defense and for a while that is sort of what they. Did but he got better and it became more apparent as the year wore. On this is a kid who can make all the. Throws he wasn't turning the ball. Over he was very efficient with the. Football and it WAS i think that propensity to stay within, himself to not make mistakes that Got georgia to the playoff and to The national champ day again almost won the national. Championship how do you do much better than?
Speaker 1: THAT i don't, Know And i'm curious because there is, this you, know Because georgia's recruited so, well we'll stick With georgia because they haven't won the national championship recently Like clemson. Has but If jake prom, struggles how much of you, know how much amnesia Is Kirby smart willing to? Endure, yeah to, say you, know he's not great right, now but we've seen, him you, know over the course of a season get his act together and improve and turn into a you, know a top ten quarterback in the. Country i'm curious to, see you. Know and that'll also depend on justin fields and the rest of the depth. Chart but how much belief given the pressure That Kirby smart will be under to win and be a nationally contending team year in and year, out will he sort of look back At Justin fields and wonder if he Should AND i don't. THINK i don't Think Davos swiney is under quite that. Pressure, no because. ISN'T i don't think that there's a belief That Kelly bryant is you, know you hate the, comparison BUT i don't think people believe he Is Deshaun watson in terms of what he can look like at his absolute, Best WHEREAS i think there is the belief because, again the most popular player on a squad is the backup quarterback who's nobody's seen. Throw but the belief That Trevor lawrence could Be Deshaun, WATSON i think right now is more.
Speaker 2: ROBUST i would agree with. YOU i Think Kelly bryan is probably more. Susceptible, yeah at this, POINT i think that's. Right i'm also going, to, yeah what's your wildcard the quarterback side of? Things WHEN i asked the, Question, dan what Does Wilton spate do in twenty?
Speaker 1: Eighteen is he waiting On Shaye patterson and the. Decision is that what's, Happening.
Speaker 2: Well it's fascinating to. Me there's like game THEORY i think here With Wilton. Spate first, off if you hear this and reflexively wonder how old Is Wilton, spate that's a fair, Question. Dan he turns twenty four In. December he is technically a grad transfer candidate this, season and it's just it's interesting on a bunch of different. Levels All, right he can be a grad transfer if he wants, to and it sounds like he's interested in kicking the tires finding out what's available to.
Speaker 1: Him but it also all right, now, Ty.
Speaker 2: Yeah it also feels like he'd really like to come back To michigan and give it one more, go but only if there's a job for him at. Quarterback and that's where it gets a little, muddy because you may or may not have heard of the Whole Shape patterson thing and how that comes into. Play But Shaye patterson transferring away From ole Miss good quarterback just completed his sophomore season At Ole Miss good quarterback transferring away and out Of oxford because of the fallout from The Hugh freeze. Firing, normally when you transfer away you have to sit out a, year that's the. Rule but he filed the case with THE. Ncaa he says he should be able to play right away because he was, misled correct misled about the severity of the sanctions that were coming down Against old miss after the Whole Hugh freeze.
Speaker 1: Thing he's got a.
Speaker 2: Case his lawyers are encouraged at least by the reaction and the line of questioning that he's gotten from the NC. Doublea But michigan just put this waiver in at THE i think end Of. February there is really no telling when the official verdict is gonna come, down, Right so at this point when we're doing the show in Early, april it seems, promising but, frankly we don't.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah and And michigan has. Options this is not a. Binary it's not one or the.
Speaker 2: Other because a side Of Welton, spate who maybe could stay if you, wanted and a side Of Shaye. Patterson you've also Got Brandon, peters who we saw a little bit of at the end of the year last.
Speaker 1: Year what a roller coaster of The Brandon peters. Experience starting out with it was like, OOH i, wonder like oh my, god is? He and then it was oh, no, no, no, no, no no, no.
Speaker 2: It was still a young, kid right still only absolutely, yes he.
Speaker 1: Was he was thrust into a situation as a third string that he was not fully ready.
Speaker 2: For and then there's Also dylan McCaffrey who's got a little bit of status and name recognition because his, brother his older Brother christian obviously was all ruled everything At. Stanford so he's another, guy a highly, regarded highly recruited quarterback who opted to play For Jim.
Speaker 1: Harbaugh, yes and the wildest of cards in this stepth, CHART i.
Speaker 2: Think, oh so nobody knows for. Sure, again just to, recap when THE ncaa is going to make their ruling On Shape, PATTERSON i think if he can play right, away he's probably the. Guy is that? Fair Wilton spate is not better Than Shape, patterson?
Speaker 1: RIGHT i think? SO i think in terms of, ceiling in terms of because of what This michigan team returns on both sides of the, Ball Shape patterson is the most ready to win A Big ten.
Speaker 2: Championship, yes but If Shape patterson isn't allowed to, play there's clearly a clearer path For Wilton. Spate it might be of a controversial decision For Jim, harbaugh but you, know like that's when you get into what makes sense for the. Program Because harbaugh's probably more comfortable With, spad he's had more time with. Him it's just That michigan needs a lot more production at the quarterback. Position right, then they've gotten over the last couple of, years which did Include Wilton spate to some, degree and so at that point then we're talking, like all, right, well could he turn it over To Brandon, peters who we saw a little bit last year towards the end, again could we maybe go young and fresh with this thing With dylan McCaffrey, again one of the top quarterbacks in the nation out of high. School really no guarantees on any side of the. Coin, dan if You're Wilton.
Speaker 1: Spate what do you?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: Man don't go To. Pitt don't do, it don't do. That don't go To. Pitt, yeah that's just sort of seems like a mess right. NOW i don't, KNOW i honestly don't. KNOW i, mean the UCLA's depth chart isn't wonderful at. Quarterback if it's a one year, thing he could run an. OFFENSE i, mean he's not going to run A Chip kelly blur running quarterback. Offense are they going to get him outside the? Tackles but could he Be Nick foles For Chip kelly in near one with The? Eagles?
Speaker 2: Maybe, MAYBE i JUST i guess it depends on your. Goal if you want to, play if you think you can play in THE, nfl like a lot OF d one kids.
Speaker 1: Do he's got the. Side the physical traits are there for the physical traits are.
Speaker 2: There if you think you can play in the, league you gotta go somewhere where you get surefire playing. Time, yeah and there there's a real good chance at that place for him is Not. Michigan so if that is the, goal then you got to you gotta take advantage of your transfer card and go. Elsewhere if that, ISN'T i think that's. Right if you just Like, michigan you want a Quarterback, michigan you Think michigan's, close you're more inclined to just stick around where you think you can win right, now then maybe maybe you hang around. Again the Shape patterson thing is very much in. Flux he got guy In Brandon, peters, who like you, said was up and Down dylan McCaffrey a great. Unknown if if you really Like, michigan then you stick around and you you, know hope That Jim harbaugh's comfort level with you is enough to get you the.
Speaker 1: Job but OTHERWISE i think you got to go. Elsewhere, Yeah i'm trying to look at who else you know could use a quality grad transfer Like Wilton spate would be. Wazoo.
Speaker 2: UH i don't.
Speaker 1: Know is he that good of a? THROWER i think he can. BE i think what he was asked to do was not great these past couple of years At, michigan and obviously he had injury, Issues SO.
Speaker 2: I, MEAN i don't know the other thing, Too when you talk about a grad, transfer this is not Like Russell.
Speaker 1: Wilson, Correct this is not a sure thing right going.
Speaker 2: In, yeah like you knew With Russell wilson that no one expected him to be as successful At wisconsin as he ended up, being but you at least had a little bit more data on what he did AT Nc state to feel, Like, okay it's probably going to work out to some. Degree Wilton spate's been hurt even when he. Played it wasn't like all puppy dogs and ice cream, here So i'm not sure he's quite a known quantity the way we've seen some of these other guys been in the, past even Like Ryan finley was more of a known quantity.
Speaker 1: Definitely you know who. LISTEN i don't Know wake's depth chart at, quarterback but with how The wolford wagon developed this past, year all, right and he's FROM i think well In spain is From, virginia so if it's on The atlantic, COAST i don't. Know i'd like to be involved with the clo fense. TIE i don't know about, You, Okay i'd flirt.
Speaker 2: So again just to recap here a fun show black in some actual.
Speaker 1: Football it's been a. WHILE i talked about it a lot.
Speaker 2: Again Dan, mullen is he a quarterback, away talked about the quarterback AT, lsu talked About Matt canada At, maryland THE ucf, offense And Wilton spain on my, end and you were asking all sorts of questions About charles Chip kelly To Florida, state what do they do at Quarterback texas potentially getting back to Being texas or at.
Speaker 1: Least find a running back people being.
Speaker 2: More texas in light of the quarterback turnover in The big Twelve, Yep, oklahoma how they fit into this whole, mess and then two really intriguing quarterback battles that could sprout, up both At georgia And.
Speaker 1: Clemson i'm, Excited, Ty i'm excited FOR i don't, know just guessing about things the rest of the spring and summer Because i'm so bad at. That that's what we, are very bad at. It BUT i like hearing your, voice so we're going to keep doing it all.
Speaker 2: Right well, again just a reminder if you're finding us for the first, Time, hello, Welcome thank you for listening this.
Speaker 1: Far god help. You we're The sOliver soliverble dot.
Speaker 2: Com if you want to check out all of our, stuff we're On, iTunes we're On, Spotify, Stitcher Google, play every place you can find a, podcast we are. There we're also on all of the social media's be It, Facebook, Twitter, instagram On, reddit you name. It we're all over the. Place reach on, out send us an email oliverbal at gmail dot. Com let us know what's on your. Mind it's a long college football off. Season we promise you we're gonna be here each and every week talking about.
Speaker 1: Whatever we can think.
Speaker 2: Up if you've got topic, suggestions send him on Into sure we are a year round college football extravaganza. Celebration if you, Will, DAN.
Speaker 1: I, will.
Speaker 2: So how much long are you down In? Florida another?
Speaker 1: Day, basically so we're recording this On wednesday, evening coming back To New york Womp thursday. Evening, Okay And i'm gonna miss the. Sun, Tie i'm gonna miss that, sun But i'm eating. Well life is.
Speaker 2: Good all, Right, Well i'm gonna let you. GO i want you to go enjoy every waking hour you can in the warm, weather because when you come.
Speaker 1: Back to wash this saltwater off.
Speaker 2: Me, tie when you come, back it's gonna be a little bit, chilly and maybe you will snowy this weekend here in The East.
Speaker 1: Coast, OKAY i accept that.
Speaker 2: For that guy over, there my good Friend Dan rubinstein in Sunny, florida for, Myself Tie hill To brandon bus, Three Eastern. Pennsylvania thanks again for tuning into the solid. Verbal we'll catch you all in a. Week in the, meantime stay solid.
Speaker 1: Peace who