Speaker 1: A wabble. That's one of my favorite sayings.
Speaker 2: Me too, it makes me what you mean?
Speaker 1: Job, tell the people what it means.
Speaker 2: It means fuck yeah, hell yeah. Ah well ah Webb.
Speaker 3: My name is Evil Longoria and I am and welcome to Hungry for History, a podcast.
Speaker 1: That explores our past and present through food.
Speaker 2: On every episode, we'll talk about the history of some of our favorite dishes, ingredients, and beverages from our culture.
Speaker 1: So make yourself at home.
Speaker 2: This episode is for you, Eva, this is your episode. Well, you love eggs.
Speaker 1: I do love eggs. I do love eggs. I forget You're not an egg eater.
Speaker 2: I'm not a nagg eater.
Speaker 3: Well you're the one that said you called me and you go, should we do an episode on eggs because of the draw that's happening exactly?
Speaker 2: Well, my words were, is it crazy? Or should we do an episode on eggs?
Speaker 1: And then I said, oh, well, let's do it.
Speaker 3: It is it is. You know, it's so of the topic right now because people eggs are i mean insanely expensive and people are blaming it on the on the bird.
Speaker 1: Flu since January. But do you think that's it? What is the reason why eggs are skyrocketing right now. Is it just the bird flu?
Speaker 2: It's the bird flu. Yeah, it's the bird flu. And so nearly twenty three million birds have been infected with the bird flu since January. So it's a strain of flu of bird flu that's been around since twenty twenty two, and it has infected a lot of wild birds. So these wild birds fly over poultry flocks and they pee and they poop and they infect poultry and they either die. But if you're a farmer, you have to kill the poultry. And so these as these farms depopulate, they don't have laying hens.
Speaker 3: So it's decimating The bird flu is decimating chicken populations right now.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. And this is why eggs are so ridiculously expensive.
Speaker 3: Well, they're also the bird flu is also affecting dairy cows. Yes, So you know what's so crazy?
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I drink raw milk as much as I can. I do.
Speaker 3: I do. I like it.
Speaker 1: I just think it's it's great and it's.
Speaker 3: Good for you. I I could be wrong, but once this thing came out, I was like, well, I gotta stop drinking wrong.
Speaker 2: Where do you get it?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: My friend jesse Garcia brings it to me because he goes to a farm outside of LA and he'll bring it to me. And it only lasts five days, you know what I mean. It's because it's not pasteurized.
Speaker 2: So and do you drink the milk or do you make not that?
Speaker 3: No? No, I use it like I use it in cooking, Okay, in my in my coffee, I've been making my coffee creamer from scratch.
Speaker 1: Instead of the trad wife, I'm a progressive trad wife.
Speaker 2: You make bread, you make butter, Now you make your own.
Speaker 3: Mad I make my mayonnaise. I know you might like my homemade mayonnaise. I make my mayonnaise. Of course, I've always made all my dressings. But I make my sandwich bread, I make baguettes, I make my butter, I make our mayonnaise. And now I've been making my coffee creamer because holy crap, all the stuff that's in that coffee creamer is no bueno.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's a lot of preserved But don't do it.
Speaker 3: Don't don't drink raw milk now, because this virus is also reducing the milk output and cattle totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went to the grocery store yesterday and the eggs were outrageous, But then it was just one one dozen. There were customer they were limiting, but they didn't have any and they didn't have that much milk either, and so yes, So.
Speaker 3: Now I know a lot of people voted for Trump because they thought he would bring down these prices, but this administration has pretty much been silent on it. And why is the CDC not allowed to put up studies on the bird flu?
Speaker 2: Well, because they're limiting the CDC and it's bad for business, so they say that they're bad for business, So it's horrible. The the Biden administration put in place a national milk testing strategy in December, so which tells you where the virus, you know, is, but you can't really control it unless you know where it is. And if the CDC isn't really putting anything out, or is it allowed to put anything out, you know, it's really hard to control it. And it takes months to produce replacement eggs and make it to the grocery store shelves. So it's been it's going to be I think it's going to be a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be a minute.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a minute, so best to avoid raw cookie dough and raw cake battery.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll cook your eggs thoroughly, cook your eggs thoroughly.
Speaker 3: Well, when we come back, I want to know when we started eating eggs, because I do think it's weird. I love eggs, but I do think it's weird. You're gonna love this part.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere. So humans have been consuming eggs around the world since the dawn of time.
Speaker 1: It is kind of a really thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but people, you know, different kinds of eggs were and are still being eaten. You know, different parts of the world. Birds and reptiles lay eggs. So in mes America, prespanic cultures ate turkey eggs, duck eggs, iguana eggs.
Speaker 1: Do they scramble up the same way like.
Speaker 2: You just I guess, I mean it's an egg, so it's but reptiles as well, Yeah they lay eggs. Wow, wow right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ancient Romans ate eggs as well, Chinese ate pigeon eggs, Japanese ate quail eggs, and then turtle egg eggs were once highly prized.
Speaker 1: Alligator eggs, but now it's the chicken egg the chicken. Egg is the most common.
Speaker 2: Yes, and even you know baking, I mean, eggs are so you know, even though I'm not an egg eater, I did taste the eggs that you made egg once and I had a little bit of it. But I mean, even though I don't eat them, you cook with them all the time for baking and just really, you know, you use them for everything. So baking even is an ancient practice. That the ancient Egyptian and the ancient Romans used eggs in baking breads and in baking you know, cakes. But the first domesticated fowl reached North America in fourteen ninety three with Columbus's second voyage.
Speaker 3: People were eating all kinds of eggs, But when did we start domesticating chickens.
Speaker 2: So this the chicken is bread. It's an interesting animal. It's bread for both it's meat and it's eggs. And it's thought to have originally been domesticated from a red jungle fowl. So this is a sort of wild bird native to multiple regions from Southeast Asia to southwest China. But chicken domestication was previously considered to have happened in the Indus Valley around two thousand BC, or perhaps you know earlier, there's evidence that maybe went back to Southeast Asia around six thousand BC. Chickens were initially used for rituals and to proclaim the hour of dawn, and then later sort of cockfighting and pep breeds were produced and raised around the globe. But commercial chicken breeds have been bred over the last one hundred years, so not really that long through selective mating of various indigenous breeds. So it's among the first animal brought to the Americas by colonizers, and in the mid eighteenth century we started seeing the development and if chicken breeds specifically for the task to produce eggs in the US.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the egg actually symbolizes different things in different cultures. It always represented life because obviously it's like the inception of life, but also early myth makers thought, you know, it was the sun as the egg was like, you know, yellow, it had a yellow yolk. There's so many legends that fairies consumed eggs of mythical birds like the phoenix, and then in Slavic and Germanic lands, people smeared their hose with eggs and hopes of transferring the eggs, fertility to the soil, and there's just so much that that eggs are symbolic for fertility in France, and so I just find that so interesting, Like I feel like we shouldn't eat eggs. It does symbolize all this like mythical legend, beautiful things, And I'm like, why are we eating them? But we do?
Speaker 1: And I do.
Speaker 2: We should to ingest that magic, right?
Speaker 1: Are we ingesting the magic?
Speaker 2: When we were recording Season one, I had a chance to visit Eva in Spain and she fried some eggs in a ton of Spanish olive oil for her husband. I have an aversion to the smell of eggs, but the fruity olive oil made the eggs actually smell good. And I've been making what I call the Eva eggs for my husband ever since.
Speaker 1: Are you ready record my my egg going in? All right? So how hot do you get it?
Speaker 2: Because you want to olive oil to burn.
Speaker 1: You want it hot. That's a lot of oil. So that's a lot of wealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you serve it with the old with its swimming and the oil up to dump bread in?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for toast for your toast. There we go. Once it starts doing that off.
Speaker 3: The French way I think is you pour a little water in there and it goesh, and that's what steams the top of the egg. But in Spain they don't do Look at that. See those crispy edges. You want the crispy edges, but you want to loose.
Speaker 1: Yolk, you know, so you keep it really running on that inside. Yeah, that lights it running. You gotta put the salt right away for adhesive properties.
Speaker 2: I know, pepper, that's it.
Speaker 1: I put pepper on pippus. Yeah, I usually put chili flakes. All right, let's get it a little bit hotter. Okay, here we go. Second egg. All right, that's so interesting. We want it to bubble on top. You want it to all bubble up. So I just throw the oil on top because it's super hot. Cover it for like two seconds. That starts to pop. You turn it off.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to keet off completely off? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You like Dude's things. I probably will do it a little bit more well done.
Speaker 3: I mean crisp beer, because it could get it could get a lot crispier. I'm gonna get it really hot this time. Let's try it even hotter.
Speaker 2: So they have all of the flavor of I mean, I'm gonna try.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just soak and all. Look at this. Oh my gosh, I'm gonna burn this one. Not burned, but like super crispy.
Speaker 2: So then it has the texture of the crispiness and that on the bottom.
Speaker 1: I love that address that.
Speaker 2: It's such a cool visual, the kind of bubbles.
Speaker 3: M h.
Speaker 1: I love this over the yolk. Yeah, it's so cool looking. And then that's really chrispy. I could see the brown bit. Yeah, gotta like when it's burnt like that. Okay, this is let me get them and we have an avocado to put a little red chili flakes on his eggs. Beautiful.
Speaker 2: Did you know this? The color of an egg shell corresponds to the color of the hen's ear lobes.
Speaker 1: What what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Where's the ear lobe? By the way, they have like a little tiny ear lobe. No they don't, you know, they have like a little a little tiny piece of skin. And the color of the eggshell correspond.
Speaker 3: Because sometimes there's blue eggs and pink eggs, you know. Yeah, beautiful colors. All right, Well we got that in more fun facts after the break. What are eggs sold by the dozen. That's so funny. I've never really asked myself this question.
Speaker 1: Is it a mystery or do we know? We kind of know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's sort of half half and half mystery. So there's a system that came to be known as English units, which was a combination of old Anglo Saxon and Roman systems of measurement. And back then eggs were sold by the dozen, so one egg could be sold for a penny, or twelve for a shilling, which was equal to twelve pennies. So this system traveled to the American colonies and it persisted, and so in the days of industrial food packaging, it was more practical to sell eggs in an even number. And the number twelve is divisible by two, three, and four, which makes it easier to give change, which is just kind of cool. So it's just basically it's just easier. So most parts of the world, eggs are sold by the dozen or half dozen, but in some countries they they could sell them by eights or tens, and in parts of India and Africa you could buy, like us, eggs buy the piece. I've never seen eggs by the piece. I always have seen it in half dozen.
Speaker 1: I've seen in Spain they have it by like six. You can do it, okay, the half yeah.
Speaker 2: The half dozen. Yeah, but it's just easier to give change because the number twelve is divisible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the what where does the word egg or wibble come from?
Speaker 2: So the word webbel comes from the Latin ovum and the word egg is dates to prehistoric language Indo European source related to the word for bird. So the old English term was egg oeg almost egg o egg oh egg which meant bird, which meant bird.
Speaker 1: And then here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I just actually saw a TikTok on this. But like in Spain, we don't refrigerate our eggs. They're not refrigerated at the store and when I bring them home there in the pantry. But in the United States we refrigerate them. So why do some countries have it on the shelf and some like the US, are always refrigerated. I think it's really only the US that has it refrigerated. Most countries just have it on the shelf. Well, what I saw was it has to do with the pores and how also the pores on an eggshell, and also the travel time of transportation, and people forget how big the.
Speaker 1: United States is and so Europe.
Speaker 3: It's like from the farm to the market to your house is substantially a smaller travel time.
Speaker 2: The eggshell has as many as seventeen thousand pores.
Speaker 3: Crazy, yeah, yeah, that's crazy. That's why they're so hard to color at Easter.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I guess it's your delight to really yeah, really can get a little some diet. So in the US, soon after the eggs pop out of the chicken, producers put them in a machine at shampoos them with soap and hot water, and this compromises the egg by washing away this this barely visible coating that envelopes them, so it's very very barely visible. But this coating keeps water and oxygen in and bacteria out. So by washing them this increases the chances for infection. So that's why they need to be kept refrigerating. And also other countries, egg laying hens are vaccinated against salmonella, and so they keep the eggs on the shelf.
Speaker 3: By the way, milk as well. In Spain, we don't refrigerate until it's open. Oh really yeah, oh interesting. Milk is also not now here there's another thing that I got really mad at with beef right when it's like grass fed, range free, Like when I buy my beef, I'm like, why is this main?
Speaker 1: I am equally confused.
Speaker 3: With egg cartons when it's like cage free, free range, pasture raised, Like what does what do these labels mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is cage free? I mean I'm assuming that they're not a cage.
Speaker 2: Cage free is this term regulated by the USDA. It means that the eggs come from hens that aren't caged. But this doesn't mean that they freely, you know, roam around. Right, They're in a cage that's about eight and half by eleven the size of a piece of paper, and so that's basically you know where they are. So according to this book All about Eggs by Rachel Kong, cage free facilities have more hand on hand violence and lower air quality than facilities that use cages. And then there's free range, which is another USDA term meaning that eggs comes from hens that are have some sort of access to the outdoors. But it also doesn't mean that they can actually go outdoors. It just means that there is a little bit of outdoor space. A door exists, if the farmer wants to open it at some point, that's it. And then pasture raised is a term not regulated by the USDA. But if the egg carton says that the eggs have been pasture raised or stamps that say certified humane or animal welfare approved, it means that each hen is given one hundred and eight square feet of outdoor space and some barn space indoors. So this is close to this kind of farm vibe.
Speaker 1: That that can exist.
Speaker 2: So the sort of kinder eggs and also the most expensive eggs are the pasture raised plus your eggs. Since you grew up on a farm, did you have a chicken cook Yeah, oh yeah we had. We had chicken cope.
Speaker 1: I had to.
Speaker 3: That was one of my chores was I had to let the chickens out in the morning. I had to gather them at night. We had to go get the eggs. Some were mean, some would pick at you, some were some were like my pets. I always had baby chicki's in my bed bay always they were all over my bed, my room. I grew up with a pig in the house, I mean yeah. And our eggs were blue and pink and they were always different. But you know, it's so funny because they would always lay what we needed. We didn't have like an abundance. We didn't never didn't have egg like it was just the perfect amount that we always had. I love I love, I love it all eggs. I love a boiled egg. I love scrambled eggs. I like egg whites. I'm a big egg white person. I don't like poached eggs. And it's funny because I like vinegar, but I don't like the vinegary taste and I don't like the texture that the vinegar puts around.
Speaker 1: A poached egg. So if I have avacado toast, I'm like put a fried egg on it. I love eggs in Spain.
Speaker 3: Because of the olive oil, and there's a specific way that they make eggs. They put it on very very very high heat and like a really large amount of olive oil and they throw the egg in there and it goesh. So the egg the edges are so crispy, but the yolk is still runny, and as soon as it's in the pan, they turn it off, and so it's just like they do it the best.
Speaker 1: They make the best fried eggs.
Speaker 2: I remember when I visited you in Spain last year. You made those eggs for Pepe. Yeah, and they were beautiful with all the oil. I've made them for Dave, for my husband, and he's just like, it's like the eve eggs.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a big fan of eggs, and I hope this bird flu thing goes away soon.
Speaker 1: Like, where's the end. I don't see the end, insights, I don't see the end.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be a while. But I think that people should just keep aware of what's happening and cook your eggs well and don't eat raw cake batter and raw milk.
Speaker 1: Don't do any of it. So wait, well, Mitha, will you become an egg eater after this? Probably not, huh.
Speaker 3: I feel like this almost tears us from eating.
Speaker 1: It totally, although you just reinforced your reason of not to eat it.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never I've always had this aversion to the smell and the texture, and it's just although lately I've been I do this egg, I'll scramble it and make like a little omelet, and then I'll put gessore and and that I can eat because it has sauce and it has some sort of flavor. But but for the most part you know no. But thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to rate us, leave us your messages. We love hearing from you guys, right might they We do?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: Hungary for History is a hyphen Media production in partnership with Iheart's Michael Bura podcast network.
Speaker 2: For more of your favorite shows, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.