Speaker 1: What's up, my fellow earthlings. It is La La mother effing kent with brand another week, another week, and I watched the news and it sends me into a hole because I hear one week like, oh bars are opening. Oh shit, young people aren't taking COVID seriously. So we're back in the red duck for cover.
Speaker 2: Well, what's crazy is? I mean, you just knew eventually that the congregating of mass amounts of people at bars and beaches, eventually with no distancing, was going to create a problem. Now Florida had a spike, a single day spike, I think, and I know you don't like numbers law, but I think I think it was like tim how about eight thousand? It was crazy, single day not good, not good good. And so now our governor has shut down all bars, and our mayors shut down Our mayor and governor shut down all bars in Los Angeles again. And here's the thing, And I'm gonna be really transparent here. I really don't give a shit about the bars. What I give a ship is that I feel bad for the business owners of these bars. Like that's what breaks my heart. It's not that I care that we can't go to a bar and have a drink, because you know what, I could sit in my house and have a cocktail. What pisses me off and what sucks is that these people are struggling in their small you know, businesses. And I know that we've all struggled, but but here you the bars just got a chance to reopen and now they're closed. So this is you know, I'm making light of it, but it's not funny. It's it's catastrophic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I just want to say this. I have a couple of friends that own small business bars, very very in different parts of the country, and they were just figuring out how to open and pay the bills just with the limited seating they could have, and now some of them are getting shut down again. So I just don't know. I know it only ends when there's a vaccine. I know it only ends when we bend the curve completely. But I just my heart bleeds for these small business owners because I just don't know how they're going to Hopefully they get more loans. You know, well, the Lakers don't take the loans from the small businesses.
Speaker 1: Like right, I qualified for this and I'm a complete dud when it comes to all of this. So it's like, it's like I read, you know, a pandemic and what happens to the economy for dummies. That's where I'm coming from. But I qualified for that, laking No, it's what I should write. I qualified that, like the book.
Speaker 3: No, shut up?
Speaker 1: Can I please get a thought out for five seconds?
Speaker 2: Sure? Did your wife talk to you this one?
Speaker 1: We don't ask him that, all right? I qualified for the thirty thousand dollars, all right that you get to pay employees. I'm my employee. So I had my conscience set in and I was like, Okay, let's just say they only have thirty grand left to give to someone who needs to pay their employees, and I choose to take it to pay myself. I didn't feel right about that, so I declined, gave it to someone else.
Speaker 2: That's the right thing to do. And I want to tell you something else. You know, it's sad because there was a lot of abuse of the loans and there are a lot of businesses out there that and Alex you know this. There are a lot of business out there that did not deserve the level of loan that people were taking. And it's really crazy. And I do hope that the people that took it, that didn't need it, or abused it and took numbers they shouldn't have taken, are held account They apparently hopefully will be.
Speaker 4: There's a massive class action lawsuit against all of these banks that have done that, headed up by an attorney friend of mine. As a matter of fact, it is going to be a huge class.
Speaker 2: You'd like to give him a shout out, so we.
Speaker 4: All Brian Poulter shout out my friend, I'd do justice for us.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I think that's great. By the way, I think that's great because I've been wondering, like, when is that going to happen, because you know that eventually the fallout is going to happen. And and these people that did take these incredible amounts of money that did not need it, you know, they should be held accountable. And I really hope that. I know they're looking at another round of financing and loans, and I really hope that the people that did not get or did not get enough, or are basically on their you know, last leg to stand on with regard to their business, get that money they desperately need, because we need small businesses in America. We need them to survive. They are the heartbeat of our country and I just hope that people get it. So that's it. That's my take on that, switching gears and pivoting as.
Speaker 1: I like to do it, pivoting to a brighter topic.
Speaker 2: This just in now, I what there's something you want to talk about that I thought was, Oh, oh yeah, you wanted to you asked me before we went on. I'm looking at you, got that look on your face again. Right before we came in here, you said, am I allowed? Which is funny you asking me, are you allowed to talk about something? Because the chances of me having any say over the last four years plus of you not being allowed to talk about something that I don't want you to talk about is fucking laughable. So you said that you're on the baby making hunt right now? Did you want to bring get up?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Rand and I have been bumping uglies trying to get it pop in. I have been sexually approaching.
Speaker 2: Let me wait, let me break down. What approaching means from you is this is approaching. I'm at the office and at four o'clock I get a text from Lalla and it's like, get home. We are having sex tonight. You are giving me a baby. I'm like, wait, where did I.
Speaker 1: Was looking at my flow app and it had the circle around it that I know this that indicates that it is a high chance to get pregnant. Keep in mind, you know, but what.
Speaker 2: Is the flood.
Speaker 1: Every single person? Yes, the flow app. I've heard from so many people like they got pregnant just from like checking their flow app and doing exactly what it tells them to do.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: I'm being dead serious.
Speaker 2: I have a question. Go back to the nineteen fifties, when there were no iPhones. Okay, there was no Internet, how did people produce babies?
Speaker 1: They just had sex?
Speaker 2: Like jack rabbits to me, Alex, how do they do it if they didn't have the.
Speaker 4: Doctors were aware of how women ovulate in the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly twelve to fourteen days before your next period. Okay, So I'm in a room full of dudes talking about menstreul psych By the way.
Speaker 2: By the way, how do you think we feel? How do you think we think feel lucky? We want to talk about when the NFL is coming back or when and what is coming back?
Speaker 1: Hold on, on, what planet has Randall ever cared when the NFL is coming back.
Speaker 2: Well, when I'm around.
Speaker 1: When he's around, guys.
Speaker 4: Defend even on sports that I don't even care about. I'm excited for them to come back because just to have sports off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something that helps ease the mind by the way it brings us back to in our minds a sense of normal, which will never be. But I also want to say something, you know, I, I uh, I don't like that statement you just made. When does Randall have a good ships First of all, my.
Speaker 1: Desk on my desk, out of all the things I just said, that's what he's not a fan of.
Speaker 2: He really cares when the Dolphins are doing well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Which is never.
Speaker 3: But that.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, first of all, now I'm getting upset. First of all, I have Marino's helmet and I have tons of Dolphin memory. That's bullshit. I do care about the NFL. I I love the Miami Dolphins. I'm a diehard dial Dolphin. But I want to say, when they have sucked for twenty years, what do you want to do you come out of the gate, they lose eight games in a row, and what do you you give up, you quit, But I want to say this.
Speaker 1: I have on my god, you're not their coach.
Speaker 2: Maybe if you're worth you would do better. I think they would.
Speaker 1: What do we do, guys, We've lost eight games?
Speaker 3: We should give up and just quit?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? Fighters? Go home? Fight on for two more games. I just say, screw it, let's get a good draft fan. I just want to say it is important. First of all, the Dolphins. You know, we've been to Dolphin games together. So I didn't even know why you say I'm not a diehard Dolphin because that's disrespectful.
Speaker 1: I said you weren't an NFL fan.
Speaker 2: Well, if I'm a Dolphin fan, I'm an NFL fan.
Speaker 1: I means you're a Dolphin fan.
Speaker 2: I'm really like, come on, this is bullshit. Second of all, if you look at my desk, which you just saw, I have my confirmation of my LA Rams season tickets. So for guys, that's not an NFL fan. I go to root on two teams. So I've had enough for this bullshit.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: You know you're trying to demasculinize me, And okay, I'm not the biggest sports fan. I probably couldn't tell you.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that what happens, Like when you decide to get engaged and get married, you're just like handing over your balls to a woman.
Speaker 2: Well, no, you took him like the first week on night Alex.
Speaker 1: Alex looks at me and frowns like, no, he doesn't have a girlfriend, nor is he married and tim or married. Shakes his head.
Speaker 2: Look at the smile on his face.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 1: Alex comes to work like he's just had the best time ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because every weekend Alex having nightclub at his house. That's true. I hope and he to speakeasy a long time ago. But don't tell the guy.
Speaker 3: Thank god.
Speaker 1: You guys get COVID testing once a week. I don't think i'd come in the office. It's so funny because I sit here and I'm like, I don't believe it's real. It's conspiracy. They're trying to control our minds. They no, I've already said this a million times.
Speaker 2: People forgot.
Speaker 1: People did not forget. I get multiple DMS about it a day. But let me clarify. I spew a lot of dumb shit. You know, that's just who I am. I should stop, I really should, And I'm learning As I get older, I feel like once I hit thirty in a few months, it's going to be like, I'm done state saying stupid shit.
Speaker 3: But I am.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I am absolutely terrible of COVID nineteen. I have my vitamins laid out, I got my mask in my car. I saw everything like I'm scared of it.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 2: I hope you're scared of it.
Speaker 3: I am scared of it.
Speaker 2: People are dying every day and getting sick. I know that you're making jokes. You are the one. Every time I get in the car and I forget my mask, I say, do we have masks? And you plot your purse multiple masks? So you take it very seriously. Well, I want to you. It's put it to a vote between alexis.
Speaker 1: I treat my life episode stupid.
Speaker 2: Shit all in favor that Lala will stop saying stupid ship. Raise your hand if you believe she's not gonna say stupid shit.
Speaker 1: I'll raise my hand to that. I probably want.
Speaker 2: I want. I want the audience to know that nobody else even casually lifted their hand. You are Lala. Can whatever is on your mind comes out of your mouth.
Speaker 1: Oh that's terrifying.
Speaker 2: Unfiltered, and we are all the recipient of that. Okay, Now what I want to say is this moving on. The final thing I want to say is tell me let's go back to the babies for a second and that sidetracked before, and then we're gonna produce her amazing. Next guest, what happens if we don't get pregnant next month? Are you gonna be fine? Or are you gonna be in a spiral? What's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: No, because my guy No told me she was like, in all actuality, it takes people like a year to get pregnant. After a year, like we start getting concerned. She was like, if after six months you're having difficulty even like, come in and we'll check you both out. For me, it may be difficult. I mean, as you know, more and more women are having trouble getting pregnant and it's very sad. I hope that that is not the case for me. But if it is, we'll deal with that when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to That's what I'm saying. No matter what, we're going to deal with whatever we get handed to us, which we always have. But I think that if we count the hours and days that we're waiting for a pregnancy. I think that's not a healthy way to live. I think we no.
Speaker 1: Actually, when I asked her, I was like, so, is there a position that I should be doing God to help this happen? And she looked at me and she was like, you should just keep doing whatever feels good, like have fun, do not just sleep together because you want to have a baby.
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, we're not doing that.
Speaker 1: I'm a virgo, so I'm like very organized, and I'm like, today, we're going to have sex at this time because this seems like primo ovulation.
Speaker 2: And this is what I get to go home to. Everybody.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, o God, this is what I get to go home to. Me spread eagle and lingerie like you're welcome. You're freaking welcome.
Speaker 2: That is it. I'm cutting this conversation. I love being with you every minute. Whether when we have a baby, it'll be God's plan. We are going to our friggin guest.
Speaker 1: Now, holy shit, good idea.
Speaker 2: So who our next guest is.
Speaker 1: Our next guest is a very dear friend of mine. I've known her four years. She goes by the name of DJ Duffy. You guys may know her from Basketball wives, and she has transformed her life into something pretty freaking epic. She's now the DJ for a little rapper named French Montana. Wow, no big deal.
Speaker 2: So let me say something real quick which just makes us exciting. And to see remember like we had our serious guests we had on that one week, our political, you know, connected guests who is phenomenal and I loved it because neither one ever said how to guess like this. What makes this guest exciting for me is I know DJ Duffy only as your close friend, as somebody that you look up to, somebody that you have collaborated with on an on.
Speaker 1: She she produced my song Boy, which went to number one on iTunes for EDM, so she's extremely talented.
Speaker 2: So what makes this fun for me is I've never had a conversation with her and I really don't know much about her. So I am coming from a place of just pure excited and interest. So this will be, I think, a fun guest for me because I just this is this is way more familiar territory in terms of the music part of it, right, But I have a lot of questions because I'm just excited to hear her journey and how she got to where she is.
Speaker 1: Me too, So let's take a short break and we will be back with DJ Duffy. We are back, my love. We have DJ Duffy on the line.
Speaker 3: Hi baby, Hi babe, thanks for having me. I'm so exciting.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thank you for being on the podcast. I've been so hyped to have you. You have no idea, you know anything involving la la.
Speaker 3: I'm there.
Speaker 1: You're the best.
Speaker 2: So see we have that in common, Duffy.
Speaker 1: Oh Dan, Now I feel all good. I'm flushing, so duff I know most people are gonna know who you are, but I find your story so fascinating. And give us, give us like a snapshot about how you started, what your life was like when you were a single mom, and just how it all began for you.
Speaker 5: So pretty much, I was a twenty one year old divorce single mom of a one year old. I married my high school sweetheart at fifteen, and in one year we got married, divorced, and had a child.
Speaker 2: Hold on timeout, Duffy time, Now you can't just listen. I thought you were going to blow through, like oh, I went to school and I did listen and I was in the keyboard program, and I became a wondering kid music. You just told me that you got married and had a child at fifteen.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, she met him.
Speaker 2: When she was Oh, I don't listen.
Speaker 5: High school sweetheart at fifteen. Okay, you know, I played Division one college basketball. I went to college and then we got married right after.
Speaker 2: Yeah right at college? What college? What college?
Speaker 5: I went to the University of Texas at Arlington. It's a Division one, smaller Division one. We wasn't in Texas Tech or anything.
Speaker 2: D one basketball.
Speaker 3: D one basketball.
Speaker 2: Oh you're a badass, okay, star setting the stage for me. Keep it coming, keeping coming.
Speaker 5: So I was a communication technology major there. So I graduated with my degree. I married my high school sweetheart. We lasted we were together since I was fifteen. We lasted five months married.
Speaker 3: What crazy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I love this?
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 5: So, you know, he went to the NFL, and I guess I really didn't fit in his life anymore, and which.
Speaker 3: Was okay, because as you see, it all worked out.
Speaker 2: But I think it did. Okay, I think it did just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, So I'm sitting at home and I'm like, Okay, my whole life. I had planned out since fifteen to be this NFL wife, and that quickly changed for me, and I was looking at my one year old and I was very unhappy working at Enterprise car Rental. I'm like, I went to college and got this degree and I'm renting out cars. And I was very just unhappy where where my life had ended up. And I wasn't gonna let what happened to me determine my future to be something unhappy and negative. I decided that day that I was going to figure out what it was that made me happy in life and just do it because I kept hearing this thing, find what you love and find a passion in life and do it. And it sounds so simple, but a lot of people are scared to do it.
Speaker 3: They did grow up thinking they know, you have to have you have a nine to five and you have to.
Speaker 5: You know, live in this this straight life, but they don't follow their dreams. And that's one thing that is like a passion of mine is for single moms out.
Speaker 3: There, if you have a dream, follow it.
Speaker 5: Don't let because you know you have a child, or because life didn't turn out the way you want to stop you from pursuing and living your dream. And so that day I bought equipment on Craigslist and I started this dream of DJ and I taught myself from YouTube.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, DJ, Wow, way Dove. Had you known that you were like into music and wanted to be a DJ?
Speaker 3: Like that made you liked music?
Speaker 5: But I didn't know that I had a passion for actually being in the music industry until I had friends like Drake and French Montana who were earlier on in their careers. They weren't who they were now, but they were people who I knew that I was a fan of their music. And I would go to the studio and then there would be girls there, and then there were girls that were sitting there on their.
Speaker 3: Phone, putting on live lass, being cute, maybe having some drinks. And then this is me.
Speaker 5: I'm standing on the board behind the engineer trying to learn his job.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Wow, that I don't like that hook he just did. He needs to redo it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, so you had you have you you are? You had that musical ability like nature within you. Now, now here's my question, because I literally cannot carry it to in a row row row your vote. So here's my question because obviously I I, you know, being in the movie business, I know a lot of musical you know, talents, you know, and all that. I am amazed at the DJ whole explosion. How does it work? Like, what's a typical night when you perform? How does it work?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How do you know what to play?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: Is there is there a like a method to the madness of being as successful as you are?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I tell people that I never know what I'm going to play until I'm there. Besides my my set with French Montana, which is normally a set you know, sixty minutes worth of me music that I'm that we play all the time.
Speaker 3: I know what that is.
Speaker 5: But I do a set before he comes out, or when I do my own DJ gigs, I do two hours of music on my own and I never know what it is because I like to fill out the room, and like a lot of DJs, sometimes I get in situations where I.
Speaker 3: Get booked and I don't know what that crowd is gonna be, Like, oh that I never know.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you adapt, you can adapt like you you have to adapt, Like if I if I if I book, if I book, you in Miami, right, and I'm just like live right, like right, you're gonna play. You're gonna go in with the intention playing one kind of thing. But if you show up and the crowd is different than what you thought, you can adapt on the spot exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's what that's what makes you a good DJ.
Speaker 5: Because you don't have the ability to adapt in that room full of people, you're gonna lose.
Speaker 3: The crowd and and mess up the whole night. The DJ really sets the tone of the whole night. You really have to adjust.
Speaker 5: There's been times that I thought that the crowd was gonna go want one thing, and I play a couple of songs and I'm not seeing.
Speaker 3: Them move, right.
Speaker 5: I gotta I gotta switch this up asap because these people are paying me a lot of money.
Speaker 2: So so you really do as a DJ. And obviously it sounds like an idiot question from my point, but so you really can read the room, like you could see when people are really rocking to that music, and you could also say when they're just not hearing you, and then you.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow, there's a test.
Speaker 5: There's a test where as DJs will cut the volume of the music and if I cut the volume and I don't hear y'all screaming the words and then screaming the words. It's just not it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Because if you think about it, when you go out, the music sets the tone for your night, Like Duff, when I go out, if they're playing like this house music, whether I'm drunk or sober, like, I know, like this ain't the spot for me. The music, you know, the music is everything. So her ability to read the room. I've seen her DJ many times.
Speaker 3: And see this is why I respect.
Speaker 5: This is why Diplo is one of my favorite DJs, and I respect him so much because I remember hearing him the first time in Vegas, and what I liked about Diplo is he could play from ed M to the very very new hip hop that he I wouldn't even think of DJ like him would know and he would blend these music.
Speaker 3: He would blend pop.
Speaker 5: With reggae, with the new electronic and hip hop all in one set, and he does it seamlessly. And he's really a DJ that I aspire to one day be like because the way he can he can move through the different genres without Michiga beat is why he's a big DJ that DJ's in all over the world, and DJs and in Vegas has residencies. He has earned that, right y, he can keep up a mixture of people happy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Even in some of it's forty nine years old. Now, you know when I go out because I have a lot of friends, you know that own nightclubs in different places. I think that's a well, a really good point because like I don't notice it now until you're talking about it and I'm processing it. But you're right, Like I go to some clubs and it's just one formount of music, and I'm like, this is not for me. But when I go somewhere where they mix it up so it hits on things I like, right, and then everybody gets what they want. I think that obviously, that's kind of what you've learned.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I think with Duff Duff, you're you definitely have kept the integrity of being a DJ, because a lot of people out here they're like, oh, I just throw music together and transition it into a new song. It's basically like pushing play on an iPod. Like you really you got your discs set up. I've seen videos on your Instagram like you and body and la la.
Speaker 5: I had to when I first started DJing because of my look in my image and that I like to be to dance on the DJ booth, and I had a curvy body and I was really pretty. No one wanted to take me serious. No one really thought that I actually was going to take my career to where I am now. I had a lot of people say a lot of negative things about me when I first started DJing, and I really had to like earn people's respects.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: They probably looked at you like you should just be shaking your ass in music videos like a video vixen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like, this is a gimmick.
Speaker 5: Basically, she's gonna get up here and she's not gonna be able to DJ. But I've had times like where I dj' and in Vegas and other big clubs where there was like this older, you know, older maybe forty year old DJ that have been DJing for twenty years.
Speaker 3: He looks at me and looks like, ha, she's about to mess the night up.
Speaker 5: And in the middle of my set, they always go, wow, you impressed me.
Speaker 3: Wow, Like they always get excited.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a question, So what is the biggest audience you've ever DJ'ed for that you were freaking out, because I freak out over two hundred people, what's the biggest.
Speaker 5: So French is from Morocco and French has never well hadn't at this point, had never performed in Morocco. It was his first time going back to Morocco from when he left as a child. So performed in front of literally all of Morocco. I could not see no literally, I couldn't even tell you how many people were there because it was free and you could not see passed. You could not the sea of people. I could not see passed. And it was powerful because French had then seen his dad for the first time since sleeping as a child, and.
Speaker 3: Not only that, the king. You had to meet the king.
Speaker 5: Before performing on stage, and I was like the king, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: And then might I add the first song?
Speaker 5: The audio was messed up and I literally thought that I was going to pass out because Frind turned and gave me this look and I was like, French, I don't know, it's not me and I'm looking at all these people and the King's family is in the front.
Speaker 2: Is that I would pass up my legs.
Speaker 3: Felt like I was scared. I thought like I ruined, were turned.
Speaker 2: Would I would lose it? I would. I could not handle this.
Speaker 1: Wait, does be honest when when you fixed it? Of course you did. But yeah, okay, so I know how you perform when you're on stage. You're It's the craziest thing because stuff is not just someone who like sits behind the DJ booth like she is entertaining. French brings her out. She's very good at shaking that ass as she should. It's really good. Like do you do that when the king is sitting there? Like what is the vibe?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: You didn't do it in Morocco only because it's a very.
Speaker 3: It in Morocco. I didn't do it in Saudi.
Speaker 5: Arabia places you those are the conservative places I respected. What I did do is I jumped up and I jumped high up in the air.
Speaker 3: And raised my hand in the air, just like you know, regular right right.
Speaker 1: But I was because she has the background of basketball, so she he's jumping away up there.
Speaker 5: He told me in Moroccan Saudi Arabia that if I got up there dance the way I do duringfort To said that they didn't know if I would get arrested.
Speaker 1: Okay, good choice, good choice automatically just jump in the air like you're dancing with good.
Speaker 2: Choice on the back down. I have a question and you might have answered it, but what what is the worst uh moment you ever had DJing? Was it that when the tape went bad or whatever the music sound went bad? Or was it or is there something else that you could just tell me was like the most embarrassing or just worst night of DJing where you're like, in the beginning of your career, you were like, what am I doing? Or this just something memorable that that an up and coming DJ is going to probably experience in their in their younger career.
Speaker 5: The only like, first of all, I love my job at everything I do, even when there's hiccups, Like it's just amazing.
Speaker 3: I really don't even call it a job.
Speaker 5: But I can remember one time when I was DJing for a rapper named Currency. He had I love Currency, Love Currency, great person, amazing person to have be my first experience of DJing for artists. He had a rapper called Gunplay that was there at the venue where he was performing, and Gunplay comes up to me. He was like, Hey, I'm going to perform this song, load it up.
Speaker 3: And I didn't really know Gunplay or his.
Speaker 5: Music, Like, no, I'm trying to download the song and the song is not downloading, and he grabs the mic and goes out there and everybody's like, oh, it's don't play, and everybody said it, and I told her. I was like, I don't have your song. I don't have any of your songs. I didn't have any of the man.
Speaker 2: Mike, okay, this would be I would what are you doing.
Speaker 1: That moment when you hit the YouTube you go to YouTube and just type in his name, Like what do you do?
Speaker 5: I said, everybody gave it up for Bunplay and they all start clapping it.
Speaker 2: Then I playing.
Speaker 3: Then I played Currency is that song? Like okay, sir, Like.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Duffy, You're so bad.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, dude, I don't even know who you are and you just come up to me in the middle of my set and just tell me to play your music. Like the only other time I had that happened with Currency was when Lil Wayne walked up and told me that he wanted to perform a song I had his music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was a good thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I'll say, yeah, I'm going to send you my music ahead of time, so if I ever jump on your stage, you got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I want to take a short break and when we get back, I'm gonna pick Duffy's brain a little more. We'll be back. We are back with one of my most favorite human beings and I'm lucky enough to call her a friend. It's DJ Duffy, Hi baby. So we talked about how your first experience djying was with Currency. He gave you the opportunity to DJ for him. When did I did it shift? And you just were suddenly djaying with a little someone named French Montana. It's like so crazy to say that, like, that's my friend on stage with French fucking Montana.
Speaker 5: Well, it's very interesting, and this could go out to anyone out there aspiring to be a DJ, or really anybody aspiring to be anything. Is you never know who you're meeting and what they could bring later in your life. And a little interesting backstory about me and French. I had met French ten years before ever being his DJ, and I met him with some friends and he performed at a club and nobody clapped and nobody really cared. But I heard potential in his music and I became a super fan of his. So anytime he was in Texas within three hours away from me, I would drive. I would support my friend. I would support my friend's music. And so when I had the desire to want to learn how to DJ, he was actually one of the first people I told.
Speaker 3: He had a song called pop d at the.
Speaker 5: Time that had blew up, and I told him I was learning how to d J, teaching myself how to DJ, and I had aspired her one day maybe wanted to be his DJ in my head. I never said it out loud, but I thought it wouldn't It wouldn't happen because he was huge and I was just starting out DJ. But I knew that like I would hope to one day to be able to be good enough to be his DJ. Fast forward to I had just finished Basketball Wives La, I'm on television at the time, and I'm walking down Rodeo Drive and spending that new money I made, and and French caused me and says, hey, I have this big song, Unforgettable.
Speaker 3: I'm about to go on tour for a.
Speaker 5: Month in Europe, and Africa and I want you to come on and be my DJ. Oh yeah, he was like you believed in me from the beginning. I see you're blowing up, You're doing good. I need I want a new DJ. I want something new, a new element. And and literally in three days I was headed to South Africa.
Speaker 1: It really was a whirlwind for I feel like your career has been a whirlwind. Like you were killing it. You were working alongside Ambarrose for a minute, and then all of the sudden you just got crazy busy traveling with French yep and you you had known him ten years prior. I feel like there's a lot of artists like the Drakes and French Montanas that you knew before their career.
Speaker 3: Knew I knew Drake before his first album.
Speaker 1: And how did It's so crazy right it was Drake.
Speaker 2: I just like I didn't Drake before. It's like, uh, I mean, how much as cool as it gets, it really is. I mean, this is like one of the greatest artists that will go down in history.
Speaker 5: It's amazing to just be able to know him, out to him, to be a friend of his, to eat.
Speaker 2: His daily because you're you're collaborating with something, but by the way, I just want and I could only equate it on the movie side. But people will say to me similar like that, oh my god, you're working with this amazing actor or this director, and I will tell you it. For me at least is it elevates me as a human and as an artist. How is it for you when you work with somebody that you know, you look up to, or you respect so much on this level?
Speaker 5: I mean, well, people like French and Drake I've known since you know, I was like twenty, and I've seen their whole career, and so it's.
Speaker 3: Just like they feel like family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, you know, the special moments for me is when when they ask me my advice and what do I think about their body of work before it's happen, you know, I feel, Yeah, I feel like as a female it's kind of already hard to get respect in this industry, and so for them to respect my ear and to really value my opinion and what songs I think or will be singles of theirs or like, for instance, Lockjaw. The first time French played me Lockjaw, he didn't he didn't have the song finished, and he told me he wasn't gonna put it on the project, and I argued with him so much to where I followed him out of the studio and I told him that he would be stupid if he didn't put.
Speaker 3: That song on his mixtape.
Speaker 5: Wow, And it was the only song to chart on his whole big sape.
Speaker 1: It was the only song yeah when I had that in common with with French, Montana my my song boy was the only one to chart that hand in.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: Another crazy story Unforgettable when when French first got the song unforgettable like it was kind of already done by another artist, the Hook, and French played this for me in a hotel room. He was having a party and at the time I was not his DJ. He he took me to the side. He said, Duffy, listens to this song. He was like, this artist wants me to pay them three hundred thousand dollars for this song. He was like, do you think it's worth it. I listened to the song and I said absolutely. And that has been his biggest song of his entire career, had made him ran.
Speaker 1: The three D right the pocket change. I'm sure compared to what he's made that song is I think, yes, yeah, so duff. How do you, being someone who you know is on the road a lot of the time, how do you juggle being a mama and your career? Because a lot of women they they don't think that they can do both. And I feel like you're the living proof that you can.
Speaker 3: Yes, hell, yes you can.
Speaker 5: For any woman out there listening that if you think, because you know you're a mom, that you're not capable, I say you're You're capable because you are a mom.
Speaker 3: There's some of the strongest women in the world are mothers. You can literally do anything. If you can bring a life into this world, then you can juggle a career.
Speaker 2: You know, I agree with that. To what what you women have to go through to carry a child for ten months and then deliver the child and then raise the child to be a mom? Yes you know?
Speaker 1: Don't you only carry a baby for nine ten?
Speaker 2: Ten total?
Speaker 3: With uh yeah, nine months?
Speaker 2: I thought it was ten. Isn't a ten total? I thought it's ten total.
Speaker 1: Like between the time of conceiving in the third.
Speaker 2: Time from it's from the act of getting Okay, I know it's nine months. We always say nine months, but I think the actual time is step. But we're not gonna get into that right next. We're we're praising, We're praising mothers have to have.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, I'm not going to argue with any woman on this on this on this podcast right now, because I'm definitely gonna lose. So but I agree with you Duffy that that that if you know any woman, that that any woman period, but any woman that's a mother. You know what you have to go through as a minor. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: As a student athlete, I had to always juggle.
Speaker 5: I had to juggle my school with my basketball and then with my with my personal life. I've had to always juggle. And so you know, women out there, you can do anything, you can be anything. And when it comes to like with my son, it's like I go, I go to work, I travel most of the time.
Speaker 3: I'm you know, working on the weekends.
Speaker 5: During the weekday, I'm taking him to school, I'm taking them a practice, I'm picking him up from school. We're spending quality time together. But really what I'm doing is showing my son that his mom did something great. I'm just being a great example of I had a dream and I did it and I did it big and do whatever you want to do big.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I have a question side note question. If you and I Okay, now, I'm I'm like five ten at best. Okay, I'm a good thing. If you and I go one on one on the court, do I have any chance? I never played back?
Speaker 3: Oh you have no chance? Wow, still got it?
Speaker 2: What if okay, what if we played with ten and you give me like a seven point advantage.
Speaker 1: She's still kicking your chance.
Speaker 2: I got you already. I'm doing this. I'm doing it. I want to get to schooled by not only a badass DJ, but a bad ass BacT.
Speaker 3: But I'm down. I love this. Oh my god, I don't turn down a basketball.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I love it. Okay, the next time, the next time you're in l A, you gotta come play me. You gotta complain, let's go.
Speaker 1: My god, this is amazing. I cannot wait to watch kick your ass.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to get a point. I'll probably not get a point, but.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's so balling. Oh you think you're a competitor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My mom when I was in middle school used to like put me in the hospital from playing her one on one holy ship.
Speaker 1: From a line of athletes.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Her mom played basketball, her brother's.
Speaker 3: Athlete family has played collegiate level.
Speaker 2: Holy I want to tell you something though, be nervous stuff, because I am a high level pickle ball player now and I am coming for you.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Randall. I'm so confident in myself. I feel like I could beat any man at any sport.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna go hide. Fuck this my challenge. I am not playing you. I've decided there's no because you are owning this way too much. No, Okay, I have I have a running out of time. I have some rumor, has it that you are now transitioning of juggling both being a high level DJ but also managing artists. Tell me what that's like running the business part for other people, not just you know, your own career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so right now, right now, I've been managing artists for about a year now, and I'm still in the learning process. I'm learning about contracts, I'm learning about like what it really takes to be an artist. I'm really trying to figure out what makes artists pop. You know what I'm saying, What are those formulas that are making artists stand out, and so I have. I just got out of the studio with a fourteen year old kid from Fort Worth, Texas that has so much potential and he's so good that I might have already landed him a deal before his mix safe has.
Speaker 3: Even come out.
Speaker 5: Wow and yeah, And so this whole process of using all of these connections that are made over the last you know, ten years, from just being a fan of music to them becoming a DJ. Now I get to use all of these artists and all of these A and r's and all of these producers. I get to use them to help out kids from from my city and my community that would never have the ability to meet. These people, never have the ability to start this career. Like this kid, this kid from from Fort Worth, he didn't even know how to upload his music. He's just been putting songs on iTunes and something as simple as teaching to distribute his own music.
Speaker 3: He didn't know. You know, Yeah, that's amazing joy out of just helping them, you know, learn.
Speaker 2: But you're also taking people that might never get that opportunity because you're so dialed in.
Speaker 3: Those are the people that I'm looking for. I'm looking for people with.
Speaker 5: Real talent who who come from areas that would have never made it. They don't have the finances to get a real video, they don't have the ability to they might not even have a computer to go upload their music.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm looking for those people who really really need my help.
Speaker 2: And here's a crazy thing. It's I mean not crazy, but it's like you find somebody who has no access and doesn't believe or doesn't have the faith in themselves. They meet you and all of a sudden, they have Drake listening to their stuff.
Speaker 1: They have this person so unlimited access.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're a better candidate any day of the week being a manager and a producer of these people. You know, of these people of different people that don't have the resources. You're going to get them out there and you're going to really believe in them and put your heart and soul into it like you did for yourself. And I think these people are lucky to have somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dud Duffy's a dream maker and she she instills confidence in people that otherwise really wouldn't have it right.
Speaker 2: Which is amazing, which is what which is in the world that we're living in today. I think we need more of this, and I think that more people are going to get to shine in the world. You know, when people like you, Duffy give them a break. So that's pretty, that's.
Speaker 1: Pretty, duff I'm so grateful that you came on the podcast today, Sharon, You dude.
Speaker 3: Always we have to see each other next time I come to l A.
Speaker 1: I would love it. I would love that so much. Or or I'll have friends shipped me out to Texas.
Speaker 3: No, no, no ship.
Speaker 2: Duffy is gonna come out here and we're gonna play basketball and they're on the podcast, Randall.
Speaker 3: I really don't want to ruin our new friends. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Don't want to talk the fan the fans will laalas fans because Duffy and your fans, I only have three, so between you two no more.
Speaker 3: But Lala made you pretty popular out here.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I'm going I'm going back, going back into my hole anyway, but Duffy, when you come out, I can't wait to meet you, like face to face. Well, we'll get together. Thanks for for being on here with us, because I learned a lot today.
Speaker 1: Of course, I love you so much, babe. I love you babe, all right, we'll talk soon. By Jefe.
Speaker 2: Well, I got to tell you something. A lot. I've never spoken to Duffy and now I cannot wait to meet her, uh and get together because she is so cool and so inspiring and honestly, what a story.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, dude, she's the best. She's just one of those people when you talk to where you can help but feel inspire and there's no reason for you to be a lazy fuck. There's absolutely like if she makes you be like, I should probably work a lot harder.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, back, first of all, the fact that she's been played D one basketball and then and then you know, uh it was a young mother and went on to produce this incredible career in life for herself and is now inspiring other people. That is just a compliment. I don't even know what the right word I commend compliment. I just think that's awesome and I love to inspire and I think that we need more of that and this world today. So, Duffy, I am excited to face you one on one on the basketball court. I am afraid. Now, I wasn't afraid at first, but I am petrified. But I'm going to take Uh, take my loss like a gentleman and come back on this podcast and share with my fans.
Speaker 1: Uh, Randall is such a rookie with this the phone. It's like really insane, you.
Speaker 2: Know what you know, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: We're like over twenty episodes.
Speaker 2: In and they run, Hey, Hey, Rudy Ruticker was a rooty, a rookie. Rudy Rudiger. Say it three times. Rudy Ruticker was a rookie. Rudy Ruddicker was a rookie. For those of you that ever watched the movie Rudy and Rudy on the Leg after being a rookie finally made it onto the field to play that last game that changed the world. So you can keep calling me a rookie. Eventually you will be Rudy. Eventually I will be the Rudy in this podcast.
Speaker 1: All Right, We love you guys so much. Please slay the rest of the week and we will catch you next Wednesday.