Speaker 1: But a whole career college football in just one NFL game so far. What is the difference between trying to beat man coverage in the SEC versus what you saw today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a little bit of a difference obviously, Like the NFL is just the best of the best, so there's that difference. But I still think it's similar techniques to beat a dB at the end of the day, you know, and I got to stick to those techniques and keep working on it and keep getting better at it.
Speaker 3: It needs to get out to the football field today, given what happened to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I met everything obviously, all the adversity I just went through these past month. You know, it was really good to go out there with my guys again. I think that's the refresher for me at the end of the day. You know, when when the incident first happened, the first thing I was thinking about was, you know, the guys in this locker room, the coaches in the locker room, and the entire staff, and you know, they did a really good job of rallying around me, making sure, you know, I stayed up, and it was a huge blessing for me today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happened to you.
Speaker 3: Did you realize that you would be able to play football again?
Speaker 2: They told me in the hospital and when I was still asking that question over and over again, So that was a that was a common question coming out of my mouth when I was in the hospital bed. But they ended up telling me after the they seen the x rays and the catscans of the direction of the bullet path and then as well as you know, there was some nerve stuff that I had to make sure I was good on, so that's why I had to say overnight. But after that that next morning is when uh, the doctor came in and told me I would be good to play football again.
Speaker 4: That's my first question.
Speaker 1: So hurdle that you had to clear, you know, two months ago to through that process to get back on the field.
Speaker 4: Today, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest hurdle for me was just recovery from you know, the wound. There was obviously a lot of scar tissue built up in the area and since it was in my chest all in like under my armpit, and obviously it was through and through, so there was a build up all the way from you know, my chest to my back. So just working through that making sure I'm getting that all worked on and getting that scar tissue out, And once I started feeling better range of motion and pain tolerance wise, and you know, that's when you know I was headed to the right direction to practice and train.
Speaker 4: They're an emotional hurd, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there was slightly you know, obviously for the first few days after that, it's it's pretty brutal, you know, but you know, I got a lot of good people around me. I got a lot of good family members, strong foundation, and a lot of good people in this locker room, you know, part of this staff and this organization did a great job, you know, like I said earlier, roulling around me, but just putting resources in my direction to use.
Speaker 4: And I think that helped me get through that a lot.
Speaker 3: You say, yeah, you didn't know for sure. The next morning a football career, I'm sure part of me is like, You're alive, you know, But was that a tough night to sleep for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? For sure.
Speaker 2: You know that was obviously my first thoughts through the whole instant was you know, if I was going to be alive or not, you know, And that was the first thing I was thinking of and making sure you know that I got in contact with my family members. But once I knew I was gonna be okay, you know, and I was gonna be able to live, the next question came, you know, it was I gonna be able to play football now. And as soon as I got that answer, you know, a light just grew inside of me, and you know, I was super excited to hear that from the doctor.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, you will be able to play football. And then you've been told that maybe you'll be able to make your debut in week four, Then it comes five and six, and then you get two week seven and you make your debut against the undefeated Kansas City Chief. What were you kind of thinking about going into this outside of the loss? How did that kind of you know build up your ocatient or excitement to get out there play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a tremendous motivation for me, you know, after that incident. You know, obviously when you go some go through some adversity like that only makes you stronger at the end of the day. So, you know, just having that along me and the obviously having that presence of you know, God with me through those moments, there was a lot of you know, signs that he was he was giving to me throughout that time, and that that's a whole, uh separate story. But yeah, there was a lot of excitement leading up to those weeks. Obviously I didn't play Week four, and that was something I really wanted to do, just cause that was the minimum of coming back, and I just knew I wasn't ready leading up to that week after some of the workouts, I just still felt a lot of that scar tissue build up in there and a lot of pain and you know, range of motion. Obviously the pain was probably like the last on the ladder for it, but as far as like range of motion, cause I kind of need that being a receiver. So after that was all clear, you know, that's when we started looking towards this week, and you know, I just felt like it it was scripted, you know for me just going into a week like this, playing a really good team like this, and you know, having an opportunity to step on that field again.
Speaker 3: Randon right now, but with the plot great real pumps.
Speaker 1: That he's out, how much urgency do you feel to really kind of pick up the pace and get going out with an opportunity with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, now, I'm not feeling like much urgency as you would say. It's more of, you know, just making sure that I reach out to my guy. You know, that's still my brother at the end of the day. You know, it's for me. It's much bigger than football. You know, he's he's going through something right now and not making sure, you know, I show that my love for him and sending prayers his way and checking on that guy because you know, he's a he's a really good buddy of mine. So but you know, in this game, he went down and I had to, you know, play more than expected then really everybody expected. But you know, I just try to make the most of them opportunities.
Speaker 1: All your whole life. Was there a point today where you know, when you got out there, was it different? And when did it start to feel natural? Today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt different, just because you know, all the build up around it, you know, just from you know, training camp, missing most of that, and then you know, obviously going through this entire incident, I just felt like there was a different build up towards that than I was used to. You know, I never missed the game in call it in my entire college career, so I never really had that. You know, sitting on the sideline and watching the games was a little different for me, so you.
Speaker 4: Know it felt a little different.
Speaker 2: But you know, once I got on the field, I put my helmet, all my cleats on, I was running around with the guys, and you know, I'm just like, this is like still football at the end of the day, you know, And that's kind of when I felt natural. And then especially after my like my first catch, you know, I made sure I had to secure that, and then after that, you know, everything went a way.
Speaker 3: So like in in the hospital, it was one like I'd like to play with one. It was time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that was Uh.
Speaker 2: That was after they looked at the X rays and uh they let people start coming into the room, and uh, John was one of the first people to come there, and you know, I was super happy to see him. I actually that's probably when I broke down in tears when I saw him, just because it hit a little different, you know, not being knowing that I wasn't gonna be able to play, you know, week one, and I was super excited. Obviously I was missing a lot of training camp too, so you know, I was really looking forward to the opportunity. I was super excited, and just the way it went down, it made me little bit emotional. But seeing him there, you know, that's when when it all hit. But yeah, had an impact on your perspective, how you view your career and your life.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a pretty emotional thing.
Speaker 3: Has it change your perspective?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I've always had a pretty good perspective, just due to you know, being raised the right way and having a good foundation to you know, I have a good family with my parents, my sisters, you know, those people being around me. You know, I just learned those morals and values, you know, growing up. But as far as this incident, yeah, I definitely. You know, it shook me in a different way. You know that every day is not promised, you know what I mean, and you know you just gotta expand everything you can.
Speaker 3: Basically, just how do you feel all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, physically I feel great. I feel great. You know, I feel like I could play another.
Speaker 4: Game right now.
Speaker 1: We my stadium got really loud after you make that first completetion.
Speaker 3: How much of that moment did you get to take in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously I'm in the moment.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to you know, we're trying to get some first downs and move the ball and go score and put some points up. So but then after that catch, and you know, my teammates were daving me up and you know, saying that they're happy for me and they're proud of me.
Speaker 4: And then that's kind of when it all hit.
Speaker 2: Crowded, got a little loud right there, and yeah, I just you know, took the opportunity to you know, be appreciative of everything you know that led up to that and all the blessings that came along with it.
Speaker 4: Appreciate y'all. Thank you,