Speaker 1: Hey the folks, it is Saturday, July twelfth, and welcome to your recovery run, because Lord knows we all could use a recovery. Welcome as folks to this episode, Amy and TJ here and Robes. I'm glad we started doing this because it is nice to take a break. But we talk about a recovery run. We are runners and it means something in the running world to have a recovery run.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is something every runner, especially a long distance runner does, at least we try to do.
Speaker 3: It once a week.
Speaker 2: It's a short, low intensity run and it's supposed to help your body recover after all the hard workouts from the week. It's meant to be easy and relaxed. It shouldn't over exert the body.
Speaker 3: I actually love this. It's supposed to go.
Speaker 2: Around twenty to thirty minutes, which is exactly what our podcast definitely is.
Speaker 1: This is the recovery we need. A break is here on the mics from what is a long, difficult, sometimes intense week. And Robes one of the one of the things that did lift some weight and that helped recovery was just getting past the Didy trial. Look, yes, it was a lot of work for as time wise, hours wise, stayed up late and getting up really early, but just to not be constantly in that content, folks could avoid it and have to read articles, didn't have to watch TV. We were reading so much in transcripts of that thing that it's nice to not be reading that stuff in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the material was very heavy and dark and complicated, and you.
Speaker 3: Felt torn in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: So it was emotionally taxing as well. And yeah, we were constantly looking for the updates and what's happening next. So with that now in the rear view mirror, that does create a huge sense of relaxation and relief in that stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't I think sometimes I think what businesses they talk about? I think it's was it? Firefighters? Is it? There are certain professions, journalists among them, where people have high rates of divorce, high rates of alcoholism, and all these look we see and we do. We don't think about it that much. I think, I don't think we're desensitized to it. We don't think about it anymore. But when you're constantly consuming, consuming negative, negative, negative, you can go back to I mean January, we're still talking about the fires in La. Just think about that every day. Every day, every day we're seeing death and destruction.
Speaker 2: The Texas flooding has been really hard. I have actually tried to because I know, look, if we had still been working at ABC, we know where we'd be. We'd be in Texas and telling those stories and seeing all of those children's faces and being parents and knowing that we've sent our kids to summer camps for three weeks at a time where they haven't had access to their phones. You start thinking about all the what IFFs and what could have been and you put yourself in those parents' positions, and it's extremely heavy.
Speaker 3: There can be good that comes out of it.
Speaker 2: I know, having covered a lot of this, I would go home and be more appreciative of my kids and hug them more and tell them I love them. And I now never leave the house or leave a phone conversation or get on a plane without saying I love you because of all the things we cover. But yeah, it is heavy, that's hard.
Speaker 1: And again we do recovery runs because we come on we want to. We talk about the things that that we do like we're conscious of doing, to help us calm down, to help us being better physical and mental health. This was one we had nothing to do with, but it came about and we appreciate it. One for me that's always a big deal is music. We talked about it this morning, well one day this morning on the morning run about Justin Bieber's new album. His new album came out and we had it on while we were working and it was just too mellow of the Viye. This is not a knock against just he was just putting out a different type of album. It's a little darker, more poignant stuff, and we had to turn off because we need music.
Speaker 3: You put Carly Rae Jepson on.
Speaker 1: No, that's all No. I came out from the bathroom and we were dancing at the table to that. I didn't put that, but we had and we had to put an upbeat, a fun playlist on. And music is healing everything. It is everything to me. But I fell into this thing where I was listening to a lot of rap music that had choirs in it. For whatever reason, that was my thing. Listen going to church. J Cole Common, a boy out of Chicago, Chance the rapper. I don't know why I got onto a kick and I had a whole playlist going of that music, and it felt great to me. So whatever your thing might be, music is always something, And probably every week I have a new genre or a new thing subgenre of music I just fall into. And that was great for me this week.
Speaker 2: When I run next to you, you're going at it like it's so cute.
Speaker 3: I think it's so sweet.
Speaker 2: I can hear you even through my music sometimes, especially when I'm listening to an audiobook, I can hear you singing along and getting all into the music. It's it's I love it. I think that's no, that's so sexy. It's one of my favorite things about you. I love that you just get into it and you're in the moment. You're not thinking about what you have to do later today or all the stuff we just talked about, all the heavy, heavy news. You are in the moment and just it's pure joy.
Speaker 3: It sounds embarrassing, No, it's it's it's subtle, but it's cute.
Speaker 2: It's I really really like that. I love how much you love music because it does it is transforming. We always have music playing music always For me. I have really been getting into Gabby Bernstein's new book Self Help.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: The title says it all, but it really is about helping yourself and finding this. It's a very specific way of going into why you do what you do, understanding why you do it, and then doing better. So when I run, especially a longer run, I do love listening to my self help books where I'm making my mind better along with my body. Everything is getting stronger and I feel empowered. It just gives me tools to get through the day better.
Speaker 3: And to be a better humane self help.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I've been listening to that on some of my long runs, which I appreciate.
Speaker 1: See, I don't know how you do that. I cannot listen to. The only thing I can listen to is stand up comedy. But I cannot listen to a book or a show. When I run, I gotta be going.
Speaker 3: I'm actually now So now our runs are getting longer.
Speaker 2: We're training for the Stockholm Half Marathon at the end of August. And when I know I got longer runs on, I actually the music.
Speaker 3: Gets it's repetitive.
Speaker 2: I have the same music playing over and over again, and it's just I'm not like you. I don't take the time to make playlists. I wish I was like that you send me. Sometimes I beg you you send me a playlist to mix it up a little bit, but I actually will get it. I'm gonna find myself a good murder mystery because I love like Actually, it feels like I'm watching a movie in my mind.
Speaker 3: As I'm running, I.
Speaker 2: Can completely disassociate from the pain, like who Like, After a few miles, You're just like, win is this ending?
Speaker 3: So if I'm in a book and I'm really.
Speaker 2: Into the story, I love it. Two hours Yeah, Oh I can do a full, like half marathon with a audiobook I love.
Speaker 1: And you don't do you not have a long list of playlists in your Spotify?
Speaker 3: Not enough? No, it just it's too much. I'm one of those it just takes too much time.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I let the DJ do it, or you know, like a running mix that that Spotify or AI makes for me, and I always hate half the songs.
Speaker 1: See that's I'm very specific. I'm very intentional in my playlist and I will make one for whatever mood that day, and I name them all all kinds. I'm looking.
Speaker 3: You would have made mixtapes for me back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I would have them and labeled them. Oh, that would have been great my playlist. I'm looking at the title. One is called new, one is called under the Sea. There's a no vasileine cake by the ocean Amen no vasiline.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I didn't want to just let that one go by with that explanation.
Speaker 1: Some you know what, this will make sense? You know what this is. It's titled that because it includes a track from ice Cube, which was a dis track that he did back in the early nineties, I think. And so the whole playlist is just dis tracks from rappers over the years. That's my disk track playlist. See I'm very specific. This is why I don't have any issues running.
Speaker 3: But oh my everything to me.
Speaker 1: We talked earlier as well. Something we did. We did get out of town with the girls for vacation at a beach for a little while in Turks. We could say that I think we went Turks. There were a particular highlight of Turks for us every time we go. We don't have a pet here in New York, but we have one in Turks. We love this cat.
Speaker 2: This cat we've named Oreo, but we found out that she has multiple names from what.
Speaker 1: Are sam is I think what the.
Speaker 3: Sam Chloe was another name.
Speaker 2: Bread. That's ridiculous, that's a silly She's she's Oreo and always will be to us. But we are able to go back and she finds us every time, and she has really been a huge part of our weeks there, and she's she just makes us happy.
Speaker 1: We can't downplay this. This is a I mean, look, they say animals all the time, there are the therapy animals or whatever, and the hell people take them to schools or take them to places where people have had tragedies, and animals do this for us and it changes everything. I think we took more pictures of that cat than we did of ourselves and our kids. We were on that trip.
Speaker 3: Qu cheese.
Speaker 2: Look how sweet she is, and she's the friendliest cat. Like obviously cats get a bad rap for making you come to them. She comes to us. She comes and snuggles up next to us, and.
Speaker 3: It's just it just brings you peace. I love it.
Speaker 1: We enjoy the highlight. That Oriole is always a highlight, but one of the highlights. And I can say this now we're not revealing anything, but there was a point. Look, I think everybody knows you're not a huge sports fan. You keep up. You love college football. I love college love college football. But we're at the spot there in Turks and we're hanging out folks and by the pool. We were in a cabana kind of a thing, and somebody just strolls right by and you can't see them that long because we're in a cabana. We have a full view. So it goes by and only see him for a split second or two. And I tap your daughter, Analise, who is a University of Colorado's student, and I said, yo, see who that was? She said, no, who was it? And it was none other than number one overall NFL draft pick and Heisman Trophy winner Travis Hunter. She goes crazy, Robot says who she thinks it shador Sanda's just walk Colorado.
Speaker 3: I knew, I knew who that was.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't in there. This was really hilarious to me, and maybe we should post this picture like, yeah, we did have it. But the girls are in the pool in the ocean later just kind of what we're all doing, just having your drinks, standing around, just enjoying the water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were just cooling off.
Speaker 1: It was hot so I stay on the beach, I stay out of the water.
Speaker 3: You're not a beach or not an ocean guy.
Speaker 1: So I'm taking a picture of a robot. She's looking back at me. The girls are all kind of around, and I have this great shot of someone snorkeling, not in our group, just another person snorkeling literally three feet maybe from rodes and I'm trying to point, trying to get it. Never sees it. They get out of the water. Later, I said, Babe, did you see the Heisman Trophy winner number one overall draft pick just almost literally swam up your butt and you didn't even turn around.
Speaker 3: I had no clue thats who that was. I'm like, that's who that was.
Speaker 2: I saw the couple snorkeling, I didn't know it was them.
Speaker 1: See this is funny to me. You know how many people in the world want access to this kid, to have a moment with him, a picture, a sofie, an autograph, a conversation. You were snorkling.
Speaker 2: I was enjoying the surf and the sand in the sun with the Heisman winner and didn't even know.
Speaker 1: Oh, we gotta post that picture out.
Speaker 2: That's funny, all right, We will well and oh and something else. Oh, this was something that I actually felt like was a good moment for me. It's about recovery. It's about recognizing your body, recognizing when you're pushing yourself too hard. Don't I don't think any runner likes to quit. I don't like to quit. But I have to say, did I mention how hot it was in Turks? It was, Yeah, it never got out of the eighties and high humidity, and that's not my jam so much when we're running.
Speaker 3: So we got up.
Speaker 2: I mean we were running at like six forty five in the morning, correct, But we had a six miler that we had to do for our training run. And I was pushing myself. By two miles, I knew I was. My face was red, I was feeling hot and dizzy.
Speaker 1: I'll give you this. The entire three miles was going in one direction, directly towards the sun with no shade, for.
Speaker 2: It was punishing. So I turned around and you had gotten ahead of me, and I said, just go, go go. I'm going to be slower. I had to take some walking breaks, which I again am not proud of, and I finally got to five point three seven miles and you had texted me like you were almost back to the car, and I just said, babe, I have to call it.
Speaker 3: Can you just please come pick me up? Have I ever said that to you?
Speaker 1: Well, you rarely have the luxury of having me come pick you up.
Speaker 3: Right, we don't have a car. That is so true.
Speaker 2: But I made a decision, and I felt like this was actually a smart decision. I felt dizzy, I felt dehydrated, I felt overheated, and.
Speaker 3: I thought, what am I trying to prove? Who am I trying to prove this to.
Speaker 2: I don't need to run this extra point six three miles to say I did the six mile and check it off. I can say right now, my body is telling me to stop, and that's what I did. And I have to tell you I grappled with it, and it's embarrassing to me. They want to have to text you. I felt weak, I felt and I looked back at it and said, no, that was strength, that was me being that was me being smart.
Speaker 1: And so it's okay. You give yourself. You got to give yourself greates before you do it to anybody else.
Speaker 2: I'll say that to everybody else, but I won't do it for myself, and so I actually had to look back at it reflectively and say, you know what, I'm proud of myself for saying, uncle, I need to stop right now, and I did.
Speaker 1: That was an extreme day. And what did I you said your word and embarrassing, and what did I say to you when I picked you up? You didn't hear me say, oh, actually I thought you Yeah, you were great.
Speaker 3: And then and then you had to pull over.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you didn't have to add that extra part. We were ending on a high note. That was yes, okay, oh yes, fine, we had to pull over.
Speaker 2: She had to up chuck well, and so that was also my point, like see, my body was telling me stop. So that was like for me, that was confirmation I did the right thing. Throwing up told me way to go, Amy, you made a good choice. Okay.
Speaker 1: The last thing on the Turks on the Turk trip, it's it's a weird one dimension, but it gave us so much joy and so much calm. It actually occupied so much of our time. But it was the oddest thing that you would never really think of.
Speaker 2: But this, to me is a lesson when you're wherever you are in the world, but when you're out in nature, watch nature.
Speaker 3: It was better.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you what we were doing. It was better than any Netflix series. It was better than any like Beach Read that I could have had in my hand. We ended up poolside watching a show of seagulls. Can you explain we were I had not seen this before, but there was a line of unending seagulls that were managing people who were in the pool. But they were coming down one by one and skimming the water and trying to drink from the pool, like getting some water in their mouths. Some were really adept and good at it, and some were terrible at it. We watched one seagull make eight attempts and could not get water in his mouth. We were laughing so hard. It was like a comedy and a drama all in one, provided by nature.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've ever you know, we ended up Maybe our minds were in the right mindset to where we weren't thinking about work at the time. We're done, But that was such an important lesson. I still do things. Stop and we say smell the roses, but you miss so much that's right in front of you because you're looking down on your phone. You're walking down the street focused on something else, and maybe the love of your life might be walking right by and you didn't even lay eyes on her because you're focused on something else. That was That day was the highlight of a seven day trip when we decided to do nothing. We just went me, you and Sabine.
Speaker 3: Was that a book?
Speaker 1: There was no book, There was no music, There was no nothing but us laying on beach chairs watching seagulls do circles NonStop. You know what. It almost reminds you of an airport. They kept circling around, circling around. Then they come down and try to land, which was essentially get water, which was a precision operation. You're flying, you gotta get just low enough to get the water. You can't be too high to miss it, but if you go too low you might your head.
Speaker 2: It was funny, and we watched these seagulls all take different it's so weird, different choices, and it was so funny.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: But how long did we sit there and watch seagulls try to drink water out of a pool.
Speaker 1: This sounds so silly, but it was absolutely a wonderful, just separation of the real world, if you will, or excuse me, our perceived world, right, all these things we think are so important and we're stressed about. We stopped stressing and just enjoyed what was in front of us for a moment. And ain't that the trick?
Speaker 3: That was the most relaxed I felt. And it continued.
Speaker 2: This year but after that day and we kept laughing at ourselves. Did we actually just spend two hours watching seagulls? But it was one of my favorite moments of the entire trip. And it's a lesson, Like you said, I actually believe. I said, if someone took a video of this, and you know how people put yulog or whatever up on their TV, I would have that video because it just made me feel so relaxed and just it's recognizing also what we all get hung up on and what we worry about. The nature continues, this world goes on, and there's so many beautiful things to recognize, and we're also distracted.
Speaker 3: It was just such a great lesson.
Speaker 1: I got a weird comparison. They talk about these dopamine hits kids get. I'm seeing sabine on TikTok so much just looking down trying to scroll through these videos and whatnot, and that one's fifteen seconds. Then there's the next one. I got my hit all that. You know what, these these birds kept a drama going because each one was unique. Oh he missed it all, Let's go to the next guy. It felt like we were watching some social media video that all he got on going to the next one. I was kept getting fulfilled, and we kept getting satisfied by each one, and each one was different. That was our TikTok.
Speaker 3: I was getting excited, like, what's this one gonna do?
Speaker 1: The one guy that did around did eight passes. We kept here it comes again.
Speaker 3: He was he was our favorite one, and then he never got it. He finally he took.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's a quitter. But folks, whatever it is for you, you got to at some point, as tough as things have been, it's been a tough week, certainly down in Texas, has been a tough week all over the world for a lot of people still in war torn areas. But you cannot forget, folks, you cannot forget to smile. It's okay. People are suffering next door to you, they're suffering across the street, down the road, but just you gotta do the best you can, and you got It's okay to smile and enjoy the best you can.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: We decided to do that at times, and not even intentionally sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I love prioritizing recovery and I think with honestly this podcast every Saturday morning. It's a reminder to me even throughout the week, wait, what am I doing? What am I doing to recover? And so we hope you all maybe can take that same lesson apply it to your lives. But thank you so much for listening to this recovery run. I'm maybe robock On behalf of my partner TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. Please everyone enjoy your weekend.