Speaker 1: Bobby Bone show.
Speaker 2: All right, he guys, Bobby here backstage Las Vegas for our iHeart Radio Music Festival, and we're about to talk with Bailey Zimmerman and Diplo and it is with Hyundai and hope you.
Speaker 1: Get a chance to go over and watch the video.
Speaker 2: We just shot a really fun video where it's basically I'm supposed to drive them around the city, but then I'm really early and they're also kind of late, and then we get in the Hyundai.
Speaker 1: But watch it all.
Speaker 2: You'll be able to see it up on the socials. But we're going to go over to them now. Bailey Zimmerman Diplo backstage before their performance at the iHeart Radio Music Festival. Bobby Bone, He it's Bobby Bones backstage at the iHeart Radio Music Festival. And this whole festival is known for its once in a lifetime collaborations. So how did ashes come together?
Speaker 1: Diplo?
Speaker 3: Well, I kind of briefly met Bailey, I think at Morgan's show, one of them, and I think he's just a guy in Nashville. He's cool as hell, and I had a new kind of sound that wanted to do, and I think he's the one guy that could carry it, and I came to his house. I had a show. Hold up real quick. He was about to leave on tour. You're about to jump in your tour bus. And we had like three hours played the record for him. We kind of like got a scratch, and then he handsled on his own on the road.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really cool. He literally just like randomly showed up to my house. I'm like, oh, hey, diplo, what.
Speaker 2: Are you doing.
Speaker 4: He's like, I have a song? Did I want to show you? And I was like okay. And then now we're here playing it live.
Speaker 2: And so you record you say, like a scratch like the first version at the house.
Speaker 5: Did you use any of that in the actual track?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: We changed the key a little bit, changed the tempo kind of like out of how he liked it, and then he made it his own.
Speaker 5: Do you just pull people's houses randomly, just be like I got music.
Speaker 3: I do that actually a lot. It works sometimes though they don't answer the door. But he had a big ass truck in his yard. I knew it was his house, so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how you know it's Bailey's. Yeah, big trucks, big rims, flashy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know to me honestly, seeing Diplo just like park and get out and be like hey, it's like, dude, imagine that. Like you're listening right now. You walk outside of your house and Diplo is just standing in your drive way and he has basically he just was there with a boombox. He was like, listen to this song.
Speaker 2: He was like, that's that's it, Bailey, I'll go to you on this one, all right. Who would you want to see duet together? If you could, you can magically match two people, one dead, one alive.
Speaker 5: Let's look like that. Okay, all right, all right, hmmm. Or you can pick a dead person with you, but it has to be dead person.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go okay, all right, yeah, it's gonna be a dead person only, all right.
Speaker 4: If I if I, if I could make a song with anybody that isn't alive right now, I probably.
Speaker 5: Can't pick Jesus.
Speaker 2: Then that's the cop out here, Okay, But he wants make a song with Jesus, got it?
Speaker 5: Got it? Honestly?
Speaker 4: Probably probably Chester Bennington, Lincoln Park, Yeah, Lincoln Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, big fan.
Speaker 4: Either that or Kirk Cob That would all be all so crazy, same vibe diplo.
Speaker 3: Uh shoot, I know it's gonna be next, but there's nobody else. Who would you do with Bobby Jesus?
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna go back to Jesus with Jesus? Okay, if I were gonna Andy Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Oh, like a like a spoken word album, yeah, like funny spoken Kurt's a good one. I think. I think David Bowie for me. He was such a legend and did kind of every genre and did whatever he wanted.
Speaker 5: Diplog go to you on this one.
Speaker 2: When you record music, do you go in knowing you want to make a song that sparked a certain emotion? Or at times do you have a song and you feel but then you find because you're recording it, it sparks a different kind of emotions you alter that.
Speaker 3: I just go with the blankest slate you can imagine, like I don't have any idea what I'm doing, Like it could be like a reggae record, country record, metal. I just kind of go in with, like, what is the weirdest thing I can make and how can I make it make sense?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And then emotions comes later. That's when the songwriting comes and everything kind of fits in.
Speaker 5: You know what about you, Bailey?
Speaker 2: Is there ever a song that you write and it feels it's an up tempo or a ballad and you switch it, Like you change it and you go, what if we shift this because it feels different?
Speaker 4: I feel that's always later in the process, Like I'll write it like the same thing, just blake blank slate acoustic guitar, and then you start just writing off of like immediate emotion, like what are those what does that tracker chords.
Speaker 5: Make you feel?
Speaker 4: And then it's usually my producer Austin that'll be like, dude, we should change this because this will feel a little better here, and then we should up this tempo here and do this. So yeah, it usually comes later for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when do you feel driven to listen to music? Like when you're just listening for listening's sake, Like what's what's the time when you turn it on just to listen to old, old stuff that makes you feel good.
Speaker 3: It's my car man, like just kind of like driving the best sound system. You just kind of like roll. And then I like to listen to new music too, but like the classics, you know, put on like Fleetwood Mac or something but I always like to listen to something I never heard to kind of like hear, what's going on?
Speaker 5: You know, what's your comfort music? Bailey?
Speaker 4: Ah, there's this again. I'm not even gonna lie m. I get grilled for this, but I go. I found this awesome playlist and it's called massage music that's not boring, and it actually makes me so's in when I'm trying to chill and trying to just like just like feel myself.
Speaker 5: You know. So I listened to that. How did you come across that? To begin with? Liketh? Let's get into this.
Speaker 4: So we talk about never having things in life, and one of the things I had never experienced was a massage, and I'd been torn so much and I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna get a massage, I think. So when I was looking for music to put on, I was like, well, I don't want to be boring, so I was like, massage music that's not boring.
Speaker 5: And then it just came up.
Speaker 4: And then from then on, I just find myself going back to that playlist, like this is nice.
Speaker 1: Massage yourself, like rubbing your own shoulders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, either that or I've been on I've been on Scizzor's like twenty fourteen album. So yeah, I guess that too.
Speaker 3: Speaking of massages. Is my dad's birthday yesterday and I got a a masseuse to come to his house. Okay, your dayton, I.
Speaker 5: Know a great playlist to play?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I K yeah, yeah, you had.
Speaker 3: Never really gotten solved before either, really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What he said?
Speaker 5: What did he say about his persons stage? Did he hit you up after?
Speaker 3: I gotta hit him up position, So I'm gonna have to remind him I'm in the playlist. We can have it for next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Final question, do you have a cool memory that stands out for how music has connected fans together or an event you've been at where you've seen fans really come together?
Speaker 5: And Bailey, I'll go to you first.
Speaker 4: I would say every show of mine is like it reminds me why I do music and hearing we were talking about earlier today, just the stories that come from how far this music has reached in the world and just like what it's got them through and why they're at the show and hearing those stories. Oh yeah, it's it's like, yeah, it's like connection on a whole different level. You're like, I know this person and they know me, and they feel like like all the way across the world, they've connected with me somehow through music.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about you about when you play a festival and it's like people that are there for kind of everybody and nobody at the same time, but they come together as one.
Speaker 5: Do you see that from up on stage?
Speaker 3: Every festival is different. Because I'm a DJ, I kind of look at the crowd and be like, what's gonna work. What's gonna like change their attitude or make them feel some they never felt before. So I always try to think of that. It's like a DJ's job is to you can always play like great set, but if you really make people go like I didn't know, I'd like that. You know. That feels like a real skill set that I'd love to do. But I travel all over the world, so going places like Pakistan, you know, like my first time was like who people party here? And then I was like they do the songs from YouTube and places where like the music is contraband you know when you play records for them and they're like, it's just like the world is so united, you know, we don't know about music is the one thing that everybody shares in common.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time guys, Congratulations on the new song, looking forward to seeing a live performance tonight.
Speaker 5: Good luck, guys, have good yoh, thank you, thanks.
Speaker 1: All right. Awesome to hear from those guys.
Speaker 2: My first time ever meeting Diplo, and he doesn't remember, and he shouldn't remember, because I'm they meet like ten thousand people. I was doing the red carpet for the Grammys for e He had hired me to come out and be on the red carpet for a TV show and.
Speaker 1: There's a clip of I asked Dippolo.
Speaker 2: The question, does he ever hear sounds like random sounds like when you open the door at the gas station and it goes ding dong, like has he ever made a song after something like that? And I think he made a song after with that idea, That's all I'm saying. I think I inspired that idea because I had never heard the idea and it was a Joe question, and then I think he did that. But a really cool guy and obviously Bailey super cool. Crazy to see someone like Bailey or even Jelly Roll explode in the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: I mean, think about Bailey.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting if you don't know Bailey's story. And sometimes it's hard to know the story that come up once they get so big. But Bailey was basically working for a pipeline and really didn't sing much like he's saying at home and had saying one time and had put it on social media, and I did it the first ever interview he ever did, Like he came over to my house because I thought his story was so wild because he wasn't like on the radio or anything. He had this crazy streaming success and I was so interested in it. And the first interview he ever did, he came and he set for an hour with me, and he said that he went to bed, put one video up.
Speaker 1: It had like three million views.
Speaker 2: The next day he called his job and he quit working on the pipeline. And this is all during COVID as well. He didn't know what a manager was, and you really wouldn't unless you've been in this industry, like you wouldn't know what a manager does. He didn't know about fees, you know, the difference in managers and agents, and he had to learn all of that kind of himself because he was driving down. He was from the Midwest and he would drive down all the time every week during COVID and take these meetings. And he talked about how he had a meeting with an agent once in a record label and he didn't know the difference. He had no idea what they were trying to get him to do, but he signed a deal. Obviously, he's massive now and you know for him, just talking with him a lot and get to know him a little bit too. It's the Morgan Wall and toward when Morgan called him to ask him to open I know that was super significant in his life. Bailey's also a kid, and I say kid because he's quite a bit younger than I am.
Speaker 1: But when he started to make it.
Speaker 2: We grew up very similarly, like I never had a bedroom going up, grew up very poor. Same thing with Bailey, and Bailey was one of those kids. I was like, hey, dude, here are the things you don't want. And I kind of walked them through the things you can get in trouble doing and not be canceled, and the things that you can't do because.
Speaker 1: You will get canceled.
Speaker 2: And I was like, if you ever have to go to jail, you can call me at any time. And thank god he's never had to go to jail. We appreciate that about Bailey. But he's a great, great kid, and he's it's crazy to see how how fast he's blown up, and like in the country music critical mass, but even outside of country music, because again with Big exa Plug and with Diplo, and I think both are to which is pretty crazy. I was with Jelly Roll earlier at the festival, and that's another guy that's been pretty amazing to see, Like Jelly Roll stories super just professionally, like he was like with three six Mafia back in the day, Like he was a hip hop artist, like a full hip hop artist. And I would see Jelly Roll on the golf course in Nashville. When I first moved to town, I lived on in this gated community. I had never lived in a gated community, but I was starting to make money and I had been like jumped, I'd been attacked, I got pistol whipped at atm once. I got jumped at work outside of work going in and so when I moved to Nashville, they made me move somewhere that either had security or had gates.
Speaker 1: It was kind of part of the deal.
Speaker 2: And so I moved into this gated community and it was kind of crazy because like Rascal flats Let Singer.
Speaker 1: Lived there, Carrie lived there.
Speaker 2: I moved there, and there's a golf course, and I would see Jelly Roll on the golf course, except I didn't know him from anything other than people.
Speaker 1: Would say he's a very face tatted rapper.
Speaker 2: But he was also on the golf course and he's in a country club, and I thought the juxtaposition to that was crazy. So that's how I knew jelly Roll to begin with. He played golf with like Steve Hodges, who was like a record guy, and so I would see Jelly Roll and wouldn't know much about him until later he got into the country music space. Now he was a fan of our show, and we were probably his first ever country interview that he did, and he came in for like forty five to fifty minutes. That interview has been streamed millions of times at this point, but even then you could tell the guy was super appreciative for all the new things that had happened to him. Now he's got a really great come up story as well, like spend a lot of time in prison, like cut a lot of his creative teeth in prison and now goes back to prisons a lot and works with inmates and has built recording studios in prisons, just so these guys and women know that there's when you do get out, like there is a way to actually be successful. But Jelly Roll has been that guy and he was here today. He's lost two hundred pounds, which is crazy to see. He's like almost half, you know, of what he used to be. He had a wrestling shirt on, which is you know, there's nothing more Jelly Roll than Jelly Roll wearing a wrestling shirt. Another thing about Jelly that was super cool is what he He was a wrestler, like a raw and he wrestled Logan Paul and like for a guy that came up going up in the South that loved wrestling, actually got to go and wrestle like on a pay per view like a super cool And to be able to see him here tonight, and I hadn't seen him in probably like three months. But the cool thing about Jelly Roll is that he remembers everybody's name. And if you were like, I don't want to use the word loyal, because I wouldn't say I was loyal, but he was a fan of the show. His mom was a fan of my show. And as soon as he sees you, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, what a big hug.
Speaker 2: In this situation too, I would expect you kind of know what you're walking into with interviews. But I saw jelly Roll the last time before this. I was in New Orleans for the Super Bowl and I was on Fox and I was doing I was giving away an award for the NFL Honors, and jelly Roll was a part of one of the sketches. And again, there are much more, much cooler people there than me at this event, but jelly Roll's in the second row. And as soon as the lights go down and they go off of the television to commercial, first person yelling Bobby from the crowd was jelly Roll.
Speaker 1: So that's just one of those guys that.
Speaker 2: As soon as you see him and he's so nice and kind, you're like, is that real?
Speaker 1: For sure?
Speaker 5: Is real?
Speaker 2: We were walking in we saw Yellow Cool Jay. He's a big dude, like still a big dude, full long leather like still puts on a super energetic, like sweaty show.
Speaker 5: But that was super cool.
Speaker 1: Brian Adams. Rumor is he had everybody clear.
Speaker 2: Of the room earlier when he was going into the room, and I thought, well, that's interesting Brian Adams, because that's like got my first reels, and you know, some people don't want people like staring at him.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 2: But then when I saw him walk by, he had like one person with them. Usually it's people that have like twenty people inside their entourage. So I don't really know if that story is even true that he didn't want people looking at him, But saw Brian Adams pretty crazy to see somebody you've only seen on television. Saw Maroon five, dude, Adam Durrett's no Adam, Adam Levine. Yeah, Dirret's is kind of crows, thank.
Speaker 1: You full of tattoos.
Speaker 2: I was talking to a guy a few minutes ago and I was like, Hey, who do you want to see? And this guy's probably like sixty five or so, and I thought maybe he'd say Sammy Haygark is Sammy Hagar's playing tonight? And he said, uh, Tate McCrae, And I said, how about that? Look at you like, he's like, I bet she's a great performer. I was like, I bet that's so it's an interesting night tonight. This is always the coolest festival. Big thanks to Hyundai as well, because one they give.
Speaker 1: Me a car and it's my favorite car. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: And I was caught on Mike earlier. I'll give you one other behind the scenes thing. We were doing this video shoot with Bailey and Diplo and I was miked like an hour before. So I had this mic on the whole time, and the Hyundai people have headphone because they want to hear the shoot. I forget that I'm wearing a mic because you don't see the mic. It's taped to my chest. And Bailey comes up and he's like, do you like this car? And I'm like, dude, if I didn't have this car given to me, I would.
Speaker 1: Buy the car. And he was like, are you serious.
Speaker 2: I said, I, me and my brother in law buy this car. And so it's a fantastic car like I have right now. I have the Santa Fe, but we're doing the Santa Fe the palis Ad hybrid, which is awesome, so check it out. Check out Hyundai if you haven't like the Elite cars. And they sponsored the end the House of music in front of the arena, which was super cool.
Speaker 1: So that's what we got from here.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for listening to this again thanks to Diplo and Bailey Zimmerman, all of our guests at.
Speaker 1: iHeartRadio Music Festival twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. I'm watching the screen now and I think I saw my uncle. Nope, it's Sammy Hagar. It's Sammy Hagar on the stage right now. And Uncle Sammy is going hard right now. Looks like they just pulled him out of the Hey won't you get up there and do a couple of songs? And he's doing them so super cool. Thank you guys for listening. And by the way, you can watch the show. I know they're going to do a replay on Hulu. We'll give you more details on the show, but if you want to watch the iHeartRadio Music Festival, we'll give you all those as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, you guys, have a good day, See you later.
Speaker 2: Thrown away.
Speaker 5: Don't need to clap