Speaker 1: And welcome in toun that episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory. Now we're at Detroit Tigers Podcast. I'm Karen Steckley with me as always as a man who is happy to not have to answer the question anymore. Hey, do you catch that World Cup match? Here's Cody Savina. How we're doing.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's time to watch some baseball people. We're done with the little soccer tournament. We can lock in on the big leagues. The trade deadline is coming up. We've had a really exciting Monday for the Tigers, not such an exciting Tuesday. That's all right, Well, we kind of have a lot to talk about. There's kind of a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Yep. So just in the interest of full disclosure, we are recording this before the conclusion of Tuesday's game. I hope you guys will forgive us as we as we get going here. I just got a text with my wife actually the.
Speaker 2: Full breakdown of Zach McKinstry's pitching performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Dingler just hit a home run, So wife just texted me looking out for me that little update there. So right now it is eleven to two, so if this comeback happens, we'll come back on here and then we'll adjust everything we have to say. But like you said, Cody, there's a lot of storylines big and small, and and to be honest, I kind of want to start with a larger thought process here that I had coming into this game, and I thought this could go one way or another, and it went like pretty far in the direction I did not anticipate, which was, look, you have this awesome win on Monday, and then you have your big free agent acquisition starting pitcher from Bervaldez coming on on Tuesday. It's like, wouldn't it be great for him to kind of come in here when you a series on the road against a team that's like what twelve fourteen, whatever it is, games above five hundred, Like this would be great. It's not great, Cody. In case you guys missed it, Robert did not make it out of the first ending allowed five hits, six earned runs. He had two walks in one k and basically he was just kind of getting hit all around the yard and and look, but you know, much much empathy and sympathy for what he you know, just coming off the bereavement list, you know, dealing with the death of his grandmother. Obviously, all the thoughts and prayers to him and his family, but we're just going to keep it to the baseball part of this. I had a a thought, Cody. I was like, you know, look, the Tigers, obviously the goal is the playoffs, and given where they've been the season, the goal is not to skip the wildcard round. The wildcard round is coming if you if you make the postseason, so that's the best of three. So who's your three? That was the question that was kind of like like percolating through the mind a little bit because it's like, Okay, you have school bull or you don't, and we can kind of talk about that a little bit later. You have school where you don't. That's one Moultain feels pretty safe. Mys what has definitely pinched the like to be in that rotation. But the injury thing. As of now he's on the il so hopefully everything's okay with him. Uh from Bert like should be like a no discussion boom, that's that's in there. Unfortunately today and we saw I would probably wager the worst version. Unfortunately today that just in my mind does not feel like a slam dunk.
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 1: Is that fair to me to kind of like percolate that through my mind a little bit?
Speaker 2: Well, that's certainly an interesting thought. And of course to get to this situation a lot would have to go right. They would have to keep everybody, everyone would have to stay healthy. But it's kind of an interesting thought exercise, because, Yeah, if I was just picking who are the three best pictures right now from Bervaldez, is not one of them. His era went up nearly a half run, what four four nine after the last outing, and beyond that, it's this is at least the third time he has come out this season and basically been completely useless. He gave up eight earned runs on April eighth. You give up seven earned runs on May fifth, That was the ejection game. He came out here six earned runs, didn't even finish an inning. Froumber has kind of been prone to outings like these throughout his career, but it's happened three times in just over half a season. He's had a couple other outings that weren't great. Maybe that speaks to actually the fact he's a really good pitcher, because he's been just terrible several times, and his era still has a four instead of a five or six in front of it, so he's capable of being good. He has playoff experience. He's maybe about thirty six and a half million dollars. I think as a result of that, realistically, the Tigers would probably start from Rivaldez in a playoff game, and they'd probably yank around and find a different way to use Troy Melton or even Casey Mize or even cater Montero, because that's just how these things tend to go. Then you could argue Fromber's experience pitching in the playoffs in the World Series might actually hold some weight there in terms of just being able to manage the environment, the emotions. He's been there, he's done it. However, it's just disappointing when this guy comes here to that much acclaim, when he's getting paid that much money, and he just hasn't quite performed up to that standard on a consistent basis. I think it is totally fair to be asking the question you're asking right now, Kieran.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you think that, because the other thing that I like ask myself, like, is it fair to think X is like is it fair to over empathize, over emphasize, over critique, like really notice some like the little things with fromber And I've talked about this before, especially after the ejection game, where it's like, look, dude, like it like if you want to be the guy, which that money dictates, you are the guy, whether or not schools on this roster or not. And at that time he was hurt, right, It's like you have to carry yourself a certain way in my opinion, like maybe not everybody agrees with me, but you got to carry yourself a certain way if you're gonna carry that price tag and you're gonna have that sort of a claim like that's what the money's for, as as they say in mad Men. And today was another example of just bad body language. You know, a ground ball goes up the middle, like you know, look, it's a groundball. Your job in that situation is a good groundball. So I understand like potentially being frustrated, but you have the whole like kind of raise your hands and you know, like kind of emotion here that kind of it's not showing anybody up per se, but it's not calm and cool and and and in these situations, especially in the first ending, especially on the road, especially when everything everyone's looking to you. I want guys that look like they can like they're the same no matter what. And there's and there's a difference between demonstrative and forceful. Like I think we could say Schooble is a forceful reactionary, but like fromber a lot of times, is a kind of head up, sigh like reactionary. And I just don't think that does a lot of good. And we saw multiple examples of that today when we just didn't have his stuff, and so that those kind of things concerned me overall as well. And again I repeat myself, this is why Houston wasn't exactly like having candlelight vigils when he like signed with another team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would just say that's that's part of the package. The Tigers knew what they were getting when when they signed him. Again, like starting the more we see it starts to make sense why maybe other teams weren't willing to give him that five plus year deal he initially wanted, probably initially thought he was gonna get, probably want a ship performance basis deserved by the way he had pitched. It's kind of things like that that have followed him out throughout his career. You know, you kind of hear, well, he's gotten better, he's gotten better at managing his emotions and bouncing back, and it's like, well, only for so long when things are going badly, he does still have a tendency to kind of let the emotions, the body language creep in. He's not the only guy, like, like, there are others throughout the league, even on this team who can kind of struggle with that. But I think just subjectively, it's it's fair to say that's not the most desirable trait. That's not the ideal trait in what you want to see from your guy on the mount.
Speaker 1: And again, like you're throwing guys like Montero who don't have near the experience that he does. I feel like Montero like always looks locked in, Like sometimes with Valdez it doesn't necessarily always appear that he's locked in, because he does kind of let those spurts out. And the reason like, and I struggle even bringing this up because I am a believer in like accepting people and accepting like players and coaches and everybody like as they are. Like I don't want to like double punish them for just doing what they usually do. Does that make sense? So like I struggle bringing that up, but like when on a game like today, and what everything's crucial, right, We've talked about this a lot on a game like today, like you just needed to put your best foot forward and if it wasn't your stuff, it had to be something else and and and neither one was the case here, and you end up you know, ty Madden just come just gets called up, and yeah bring in ty Madden the first endy and that you know, you know, yet no days off here for a bit, Cody, Like that throws everything off into you know, contingency plan territory there. So just disappoint overall from fromber And again, like you're right, he probably is going to start a playoff game should they get there. But like as of right now, there's been too many instances of of lack of feel that will give fans and even you know, coaches and players, I'm sure confidence overall should that situation presents present itself. All right, we are going to get to a quick break and then afterward we're gonna talk some tek Schooble Cody just wrote a story at Tererek, and of course you know he's the man of the hour, of the week, of the next couple of weeks in Major League Baseball. It's a lot to get there. But first I'll work from our sponsors.
Speaker 3: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about mint Mobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crafts, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 4: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 3: You can even bring your current phone and your number. If you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, Availability, speed and coverage varies Cement Mobile dot Com.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here, So there's two things regarding Trek Schouble that are gonna dominate the headlines here for the next couple of weeks. There's Terrek Schouoble the Man, and then there's Terrek Schooble the Plan. And so Cody, you wrote about Trek Schoolble the Man as somebody who is just kind of been at the forefront of I don't know, everything extracurricular that you don't necessarily like want to talk about on a near daily basis or whatever. You know, like like, look, he's gonna it's all gonna be worth it for him, because no matter who the team is, he's gonna be, you know, one of the richest players in the history of Major League Baseball. So I'm not trying to paint like wax poetic that he's some victim here, but it is a again, like extracurricular uh, not advantageous to the day to day being of a baseball player and having to deal with everything from injury from Team USA, from arbitration, from rehab to just kind of getting back right dealing with the trade rumors and then what you know, the uncertain future. You've seen him on a daily basis. You've talked to him about this, like, how is he kind of how is he being? I guess is the way to kind of ask his question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm glad that the story finally running and that we're finally talking about it. I think for as much as you know, we do the speculation thing too, when we talk about the trade deadline. Like in my actual job as a writer, one of the things that really fascinates me is kind of chronicling fame and attention and money and pressure and criticism and what that does to people. I've seen it a lot. I haven't necessarily covered many people as famous as Trek Scooble in my time around the Tigers, but I'd seen another sports before, and it's a very fascinating, quite honestly, very modern thing, especially in the social media age. I mean, think about it. There was a time where athletes were revered the greatest athletes where they were just revered figures, and I feel like, now there's a thing where you achieve a certain level of success and then people inevitably just start to dislike you. It's kind of a weird thing. And Schoolbol I think, has experienced a lot of this over the past couple of years, and especially over the past six months. If you think about it, from off season trade rumors to arbitration, to the WBC back and forth drama, to getting hurt, to the surgery to now back at the center of trade rumors. He has been the main character kind of in the twenty twenty six baseball season, and that might just be getting started. Seeing how Schooble's handled kind of a rise from a ninth round pick, a guy with one d one offer, I think has been very fascinating, and I've always wondered if that for a little bit of why he is kind of handled the public side of things, I would say as well has as he has, He's become very friendly. He's been incredibly accessible. Where a lot of guys can kind of close off, become very guarded. S Google has been the opposite. He's kind of opened up this year. You could argue he hasn't necessarily done himself any favors simply by being out there and talking. He's talked to himself, you know, think about the WBC, the back and forth. Maybe if he just would have not said anything, that wouldn't have been a thing. As a media member, I obviously appreciate it when guys are open and when guys are honest and willing to talk. But you know, I sat down with Errek a while back and I kind of just asked him, what is it like when everything you do becomes a story? How does that impact you? And it seems to me like Trek has a pretty good head about it. He gets it, he understands it. He seems to do a decent job of blocking out the noise. But I think he's very much aware of what's being said, what's going on. He had some quotes about that in the story. Interestingly enough, though, like Terrek's at this point where he can't even explain like the real human side of what he's been through without probably generating some other headlines. I'm sure a lot of people will latch onto a quote where he says, if I could go back, I probably should have gotten MRI in January and hammered it out to where I was done with it in the off season. He's talking about the loose body in his arm, but there were other factors in play. I was going through arbitration, the decision by the organization to take me to court. I think that probably had some impact subconsciously. I'm sure that's probably already sparking some reaction out there, and it's sparking reaction because Trek Scoble said it. These things don't necessarily spark the same reaction when I don't know, Drew Summers says it or something like that. You know, this is like the stuff that comes with the territory, and my observation, Schooble's handled it very well for the most part, but now it's it's grown. It's just this thing, and every day there's a there's a new Schooble segment on talk radio. So there's another report, there's another rumor, there's another school quote that's stirring up, and people are kind of picking it apart. What does he mean? What are his motivations? So I kind of tried to write just about that aspect and some of the things that's gone on behind the scenes and what that is like on a human level, because I just think it's a fascinating topic. And I know not everyone loves the way School has handled it, but it's interesting put yourself in his shoes, how would you handle it? How would I handle it? Like, I don't know, probably not well, probably worse than Trek Schoobel, because it's a strange position to be in. You're right, that doesn't mean he's a victim. Like he's a very wealthy man and going to become a wealthier man. But he is living this life that not that many people either get to live or have to live, and there's no simple roadmap for how to navigate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. And the word there that's key is human. And by the way, Schooble doesn't look at himself as a victim, like you know we've had him on the podcast couple. You know you have him on the podcast and you know you've talked to him, and if you observe the way that he goes about his business, he is not someone who carries himself as like a victim. He is somebody who has the utmost belief in himself and thus the utmost belief in the team, and he has given everything to the organization through now and however long he is here, you know what I mean, Like, there's no doubt about that. So the people that are kind of like picking everything apart just kind of feels, I don't know, I'm gonna say, lazy and kind of missing the broader picture here. Uh And so like I don't really have a whole lot of like headspace to give like those kind of like talk radio segments and and and those kind of opinions because I just don't think they're based in reality. So uh So, like I see him, I'm not viewing them. I'm not giving them clicks. I'm not giving them like impressions or anything like that, because I just know that it's not grounded. And I you know who I know is grounded, Terrek Scoogle, Cause that quote right there that I'm sure you we're gonna pick apart, that's a grounded quote. That's a quote of him just like thinking everything through, you know what I mean. And then and just be like, well, like maybe I should have just gone back and done this. How many times in your life? You you know, everybody out there have you thought, you know what, maybe I should have done this, But at the time I thought this was kind of the best way. That's just him going through life, man livelihood, that's okay, and it had nothing, and it was not pulling back or holding himself back in any fashion. So like, if people look at that in any other fashion, I'm just I'm just gonna say, miss me with that. So like, so there's so so there's the school human piece, all right, and then the broader piece of this is is he gonna get traded? What's the likelihood more likely than not? So I guess I'll give my uh my seventy percent is my number right now as the Tigers lose eleven to two to the.
Speaker 2: Cup, so I'm thirteen what a jump?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so yeah, seventy percent, how about that? Uh, because there's something picking up steam. This was one of my bold predictions that we talked about a couple of weeks ago, Cody, that I know you're not a fan of, but like it just kind of seems like other people, not just me, other people are kind of saying, you know, maybe the Tigers they trade schoogle, but they're but they're not punning on the season, and and your colleagues at the Athletic also wrote about this and it and we don't know. I would encourage everybody to go read it. See the names on there. That kind of makes sense for various teams. I want to spoil, uh, spoil the story, but the fact that this is picking up.
Speaker 2: From Ken and will Sanon was sourced information from other executives around the league, basically just saying the Tigers are considering a thread the needle option. Not that they're going to do this, but they are. They're looking into it, They're thinking about it. That's as close as to anything solid as we've heard anywhere throughout this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Which I think means that like it that, like again, that notion is like, as we sit here July twe first is picking up steam, which, like it, like anything else with the school decision, is something that no matter what you decide, can easily be picked apart and eventually it's gonna be Monday morning quarterbacked. Right, This is the one that probably in the moment, would be the easiest one to pick apart and Monday morning quarterback fair or not. But I do feel like this is something that if you're gonna like appease all bosses metaphorically. This might this might be what they end up doing. I'm saying I would do it. I'm just saying that was my BOT prediction for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, it's not what I would do if I were running the team, but I understand it. It would also be malpractice if they didn't at least consider this and think about what it would look like. But as we get a little bit closer here, I do wonder if the schoopl thing comes down a little bit less to the wins and losses in the playoff odds and more simply, what are the offers they're going to get. Scott Harris is going to have to weigh the offers against the odds and think, Okay, is this offer so good that it is worth it for twenty twenty seven, eight, twenty twenty nine, regardless of you know, the Tiger's chances in twenty twenty six, regardless of if they hope to make a run. If it's just an okay offer, I wouldn't blame Scott Harris saying you know what, no, screw it, we'll keep them, We'll take our chances. But if they get a really good offer? Could he turn that down? Simply hoping they can make what's still and against the odds run in twenty twenty six. That might be all it comes down to, because maybe unless they go undefeated from now to August third, it's gonna be tough for them to be in a whole lot better position than they are right now. They can improve a little bit and we'll see where we're at. But like it, it might be as simple as like, how good is this offer? That might be the whole thing. And even if that's not the way I would handle it, well, no, I would handle that with Schoogle. I would just be all in or all out with the team as a whole, rather than trying to trade him and still win for twenty twenty six. But I think this is a more complicated thing than a lot of people realize, and there's a lot going into it from a lot of different angles.
Speaker 1: Odds versus offer. I like that. I'm steal it. That's everything that that's how we're going to frame everything from here on out. All right, we are going to take a quick break and then afterward, little Kerry Carpenter News, a little Spencer Torkolsen news opposite ends of a spectrum like everything else earlier this week. But first a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 3: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mac Weldon with my friend Eric Kratz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light. It's summertime right now. For me though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 3: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With mac Weldon. Go to mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m ackw e l d o N dot com code foul.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here, let's let's start with Kerry Carpenter. Now, he did exit Monday's game, and look, a lot of fun things happen on Monday that we're just not going to get to and I wish, I wish we would, but they were just too many other more pressing things to get to. It was a fun game to watch, So I want to discount that game and then maybe, depending on what happens Wednesday, we look at this series completely different, but we can only talk about what we've seen most recently. Carry Carpenter Cody, There's no other way to put it. He's in a slump, and it's been a slump this entire month of July. And look if you look at his splits coming in and we don't know the extent of his how hurt he is. He left. He's being evaluated with a bruised heel. That's why he left Monday Night's game after the error by Nico Horner. June was a good month for Carry Carpenter. He was two fifty three, He had seven bombs like you know, with a eight eight seven ops like we kind of again, he had had the injury. He comes back and everything kind of looks hunky dory, right, been a bad month of July. Man so like he is three for thirty nine Cody. That's a zero zero seven to seven ballion average obviously, and the slug matches it also a zero seven to seven slug Like they don't have to go other numbers. It's bad he is. He has had a futrid month of July. And like, as we're trying to project out like what this team is and what does it mean and like all these things as of right now, this kind of feels like the biggest pullback like that the Tigers have, like in terms of trying to project like what they could be, what we kind of expected them to be this entire year, which is like I just don't know if you can be a playoff team with Carry Carpenter in the tank, Like I just don't know if that's possible, and and so like like I don't know what the solution is. I'm not going to try to evaluate all of his bats timed up for the fastball this that The other thing, the bottom line is, if we're talking about needs for this team, they need him a to be healthy and then be to be performing. And I don't know, I don't think it. I don't think that's controversial.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. I think Carry Carpenter would probably agree with you on all those fronts. He's seing two o six for the season, given both some time he's missed and just some rough performance. It's kind of amazing to think he has thirteen home runs. The power has still largely been there when he's been on the field, but nothing else really has. He's still seeing just a ton of spin and he's chasing it. He's whiffing far more than he did last season, bottom eleventh percentile and strikeout rate, So even though the walks are up a little bit, it's kind of been negated by the strikeouts, and it feels like he's digging himself deeper into this hole trying to get out of it. Certainly, concerning leaves a game with a bruised heel, we don't know a ton about that, hoping that that will simply be a day to day thing as it's being advertised, but I don't know. Almost does make you wonder if maybe he's been fighting something more physically, because he just hasn't looked right at the play it, and we kind of learned last year he's battling hamstring woes and stuff that something about it. When he's feeling good physically, his whole approach seems to be better. And really I think it's as simple as it's been in an approach issue, and that not being able to lay off spin has really created some big time problems for him.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, Let's frame it this way, Cody, who do you think is more well received by the fan base? Carry Carpenter or Spencer Torkleson.
Speaker 2: I with Terry Carpenter. Everyone still wants him to hit lefties more and all that good stuff, and work's doing all right for where he's at. He still has his campus supporters. There are also some people who really dislike to work. So, as I've always said, it's just really hard for anyone to ever be rational about Spencer Torkelsen, which is a strange thing.
Speaker 1: So if you're in the war coming into Tuesday, they have the same more negative point five. So if you're in the war, they're the same, then then you keep it then and then you factor in that Spencer's played ninety nine or one hundred games now to carry seventy seven, And the fact, here's a funny stat I think we would agree that carry Carpenter's power also has to be gap power. Would we agree with that, Like, it can't just be Homer, It's gotta be gap help. Yeah. Okay, Well, how does the fact that carry Carpenter only has five doubles sound to you?
Speaker 2: That's a good stat right there, Kieran, I don't like that stat one bit.
Speaker 1: Torglsen has eighteen for the record. He's also got eighteen home runs, and they have basically identify identical They do have identical baalting average Spencer is probably a little bit lower now, but basically identifal identical valuing averages. So the one that everybody's quick to replace and the one that everyone wants to get more opportunity. And they're the same with some elevated stats for torkal Sin and they both play position, and I would say tortals defense, despite you know what overall metrics would tell you, is more key than Carpenter's defense. I think that is also fair. We saw that on you know, earlier this week as well. So I just to me, like, the Carpenter thing is actually really troublesome. The more I look at it, the more I want to believe in track record but it's actually quite troublesome and something that needs to be rectified because he's not gapped to get power. If he's not over the fence power, there's not that much more you're offering me right now, Cody, and and you need more of it. And if while we're on the subject of Torque, when I give him some credit, here, here's some here's something wild, all right? I like this. This got the trend on Tiger's Twitter, and people didn't believe it. I'm not sure I believe it either, but I went looked it up. It is true. Here is special Torgelsen this year with runners in corp position three h nine with a six zero three slug and a one point zero four six ops with runners of this corp position all right, one eight eight WRC plus code. I know you love that stat. WRC plus one eight eight WRC plus with runners of scoring position. According to database on Twitter, that is eleventh among qualified hitters in baseball. And by the way, on Monday night, all the positive things that was a to run base hit with a run with the bases loaded, not just running to scoring the base loaded.
Speaker 2: Is a hit with the bases loaded. He's one of nine this year, one, hitting, twelve played appearances, nine at bats, but all those other numbers are real. I'll admit I was surprised at his success with runners in scoring position. But another important reminder, you know, just because you see you guys strike out a couple of times with runners on base, doesn't mean he sucks with runners in scoring position. It's like the rest of baseball. If you get a hit three out of ten times, you're doing pretty well. And that's about what Torque has done. He's done that with a little pop with runners in scoring position. Overall, though he is hitting two a five like Carry Carpenter. Like Carry Carpenter, not doing well against spin with rates way up one base percentage, you know, and Torks the guy who does take his walks, but he's not hitting for average at all. If your one base percentage is below three hundred, you're gonna have a really tough time contributing to a major league lineup. You better hit for power, which I guess both of those guys do just enough to really make them viable. You know, I want to see one base percentages of three point thirty plus for those guys, and that just takes being a more well rounded hitter, and it's it's obviously not an easy thing to do because both of them are still struggling with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, as we wrap up here, Dylan Dingler three home runs in two days. I did say on Sunday. I was like, you know, you got it Fields Due. I'm not sure I would have thought three in two days. But you know, credit to Dylan Dingler five, isn't he? I mean, you have to apologize to him. And again, there are several fun moments on Monday's game that we're just not gonna be able to get to. But I did want to kind of wrap up here. We talked about what would happen when Labor came back and you know, roster move wise, and the Tigers ended up going with Eduardo Valencia being sent down. I'm not sure what the read is on there. Maybe maybe it's one of those things where they just kind of combled with the expected return of Hobby Bias too, and so they kind of lumped them together as opposed as to what they would do as opposed to just like one off each move because I figure Ben Maljerry probably would be next if when Hobby is ready. That's just a guess though. Any any thoughts on Valencia's kind of short little tenure being or I said tenure being short?
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, you know, I guess I should have seen that coming. As I said, I kind of thought it would be more mal Jerry, mostly based on the team that just talked about Valencia like they were interested in having them stick around for a bit after the break. But Glabor Torres, you know, made it back in pretty quick fashion after the All Star break. The move ultimately makes sense. Having three catchers is an extreme luxury. There's going to be tough for Valencia to play much and with Glabor taking over a second base role, that probably pushes how you lee to the bench a little more often. So then even like getting either of those guys right handed pinch hit at bats is tough, and Valencia, I think, is a guy you still want playing. He definitely has a lot of work to do catching, receiving, maybe even playing a little first base. He has to become a more well rounded defender if he's really going to have a career in the big leagues. We know the dude can hit a little bit, but that's someone I think you want to continue to hone his craft. So if you have Dylton Dingler healthy and available, I actually think this makes sense for now. Although Valencia, you know, did enough to open some eyes. It will be really interesting to see what his future holds. I'm sure we will see much more of him in the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: Next couple of years could be next couple of weeks, given how you know baseball works. And you know another example of that is, you know, from the pitching side, Jack Flarerty today goes on the fifteen day I l with right flexer inflammation. He was four innings, four runs, yeah or yeah, four runs, gave up the the two bombs there and and you know, one of those games that we would in a different circumstance we have been talking about, like what do you make of Jack Flaherty. You know, we would have done that, We would have done that old game. Obviously, I hope he's healthy, but again, like this is this is the the Cater Montero luxury. And why we keep talking about him is because like it sucks that flaaritys shurt, but it just kind of just kind of smoothly runs Montero in there. He would have been there anyway, the six man rotation now is just kind of back to normal. I guess with Montero.
Speaker 2: It's all right, But to be honest, here in this kind of worries me because it sounds like Montero is going to be back in the rotation for a couple turns, which means Cater Montero is not gonna be pitching at the end of games. We just saw a blow up that you're gonna have to tax your bullpen a little bit Tuesday and Wednesday, and in a time where every game really matters, Like, how good are you going to feel about that bullpen? Also, for Jack, unfortunate surprise injury kind of came out of nowhere. At least it felt like this is a guy who is wont among the potential trade chips, and he's now out with a flexer strain. The Tigers tried to sound like it could be a minimum fifteen days stay on the IL. I don't know how many flexer strains are minimum stays. And also, if they were to try to trade him, I'll say I wouldn't really be trying to trade much for a guy with a with a flexer strain, so potentially he could throw a huge wrinkle in the Tigers' plans in a couple of different ways. We will see how they weather that.
Speaker 1: We'll see how they weather that that's kind of been since June one, like like, we'll see how they weather that, whether it alone, whether they've weathered a lot. And and in fairness, like you know, when it's eleven to two you get blown out like they did today, it feels natural. It is kind of be a little bit more pessimistic or whatever. Again, Monday was a very fun game. You can say what you want about like ken Lee, you can say what you want about finning in and all that. All that is fair, All the overarching concerns are fair. But it was a very fun game. There are a lot of elements there where it kind of felt like this is a team that's in like refused to lose mode. Was kind of like when I was watching and and maybe that will still be the case. From your destiny to.
Speaker 2: An eleven two blowout. That's kind of the story of the twenty twenty six Tigers in the show.
Speaker 1: There you go, and we're gonna continue talking about them and speculating and assessing and and giving predictions and having fun doing you guys can follow along at Coe Steven Higgen. I am at Kering on his course. Decly pot page at Tiger Territory to score YouTube Apple, we are so close to three k on YouTube. Thank you to everybody who subscribed. If you haven't already, please hit that subscribe button. We appreciate all you guys Apple Spotify five star review if you feel so inclined, we appreciate all of you. So for Coach Stapenhagen, I am Kieran Steckley. Everybody, have a great day.