Speaker 1: If this is the me Eater podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listeningcast, you can't predict anything. The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for el, First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I T E dot com. Welcome to the show today. Krinn is among other things, well, no, she's only doing one thing. Among other things that will happened on today's show is Krinn. You will be able to listen to Karinn unless you're on YouTube that you can watch it happen. Does she got a camera at her phil? Yeah, you'll be able to listen to and or watch krinn less. Her first coyote huge flaws?
Speaker 2: Is that like a homemade Ulu?
Speaker 1: There the homemade Who I did not make this. I'll tell you about it in a minute. Uh, Trien, did you grow up calling them coyotes?
Speaker 3: Wiley?
Speaker 1: Okay, now that you've got one, you'll switch. I found that people, Yeah, people that say coyote have likely gotten one, and people that say coyote, haven't.
Speaker 4: I say coyote? Does that track?
Speaker 1: I code switch? There's a number of tools here that she's gonna be doing in my she's gonna I'm reluctant to let her use this. This is a a dexter. This is an assemble draw knife or flashy knife people. You know, you might call it necker knife. This is a good way for you to put a hole in that. But I'm gonna let you use the backside. So this is your cutting edge. Okay, this is your pushing edge. You're allowed to use the pushing edge. The cutting edge you'll have to spend more time figuring out on.
Speaker 5: And for listeners, it's a sixteen inch blade with a draw knife, handles at both sides.
Speaker 1: Yourself, yourself a new mental tape.
Speaker 2: Kind of looks like a machete with a handle on both ends.
Speaker 1: Don't boom. It's like a ninja sword. Yeah, it's a ninja sword. Cut it in half and put a handle on the other end of the blade. M hm, katana Is that what they call them?
Speaker 5: Oh that's the traditional yeah, yeah, curved blade.
Speaker 1: You know, I highly recommend for parents speaking of ninja swords. Is nunchucks. No, man, we have more fun throwing stars. We buy ninja throwing stars. You can't buy them on Amazon. You have to go to ninja supply houses. But we go to online ninja supply houses and buying ninja throwing stars. There is nothing more fun.
Speaker 2: Did you ever make them out of sheet metal?
Speaker 4: Class?
Speaker 1: You never could make anything that was as good as what you can buy.
Speaker 6: Still fun, but kids safe ones at Costco. Now there throwing stars?
Speaker 2: No, sorry, Were they made out of belcrow or something?
Speaker 6: I couldn't tell you what they're made out of?
Speaker 4: Little plastic.
Speaker 6: If it's not a throwing star, I'm talking eight in the shape of a star.
Speaker 1: We like seven and eight point four star ninja throwing star. A four point ninja throwing star means that halftime it don't do anything. You get an eight point ninja throwing star, that's some bitch is gonna stick.
Speaker 2: You're a big block of wood, big round of wood out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We took a big slab of cottonwood and I hung it from chains. So you know, like a swing set has those angle the supports like saw leg style things. I put a s or an eyebowlt up on that on the on the saw horse legs of the swing set. I put an eye bowl so I could suspend a cottonwood stump. They dry out and fall apart, but you put that cotton would stump up. And then next very important step that is such horseshit. Yeah, what come.
Speaker 2: On, kids?
Speaker 1: Safe? It's like a nerf bow. Yeah. So no. The next step that's very important is you take all these throwing stars you just purchased, and you spray paint them blaze orange.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask if you had any get sucked up in your line.
Speaker 1: It's like M I A and it's blaze orange.
Speaker 5: Oh you don't like put up a carpet backstop or something.
Speaker 1: No, I paint them blaze orange. One. I don't. I'll never understand what happened to it. We've taken the metal detector. We can't find it. Blaze orange Ninja throwing star missing.
Speaker 5: Did they practice from different positions, you know, like kneeling?
Speaker 1: No, I've showed them. You know, we do it like you hold it like you're pinching it between your thumb and the main knuckle on your forefinger. And I was telling them that in Ninja movies. I don't really know what the move is, but they kind of got like a they do. They're like they kind of got like that. It's like they're doing it. I don't know, they got their fingers out.
Speaker 4: Spiderman Stuck's like this. It's like, yeah, they're like they're they're like palming it almost, and then they.
Speaker 1: Is that what they're doing? Yeah, I don't know how Oh they're palming it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it's sort of like a frisbee move. I think like a discus yeah, or there's between the fingers, but I think that's more for style than substance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember there was a ninja movie and they when they're training, they had that string with a weight on the end, and you'd have to pin that string. Man. But the problem is, you're never gonna kill anybody with a ninja throwing star. And this is coming from a guy that owns something.
Speaker 2: The old movie is just like dude would get hit and he'd just fall over dad.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right in the chest. What would really happen if you hit someone with the ninja throwing star? They're gonna go, oh, that's probably what I've got a one inch cut. I love what else? The other two we have here. Tyler Friel, who's been on the show before, made this Ulu knife. You know, it's cool as ship. So I'm hold up with Ulu knife right now. He made he said it an antler single bevel.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: We we're this project I'm working on that. I haven't been able to talk about what it is. We were We actually filmed with Mett and Aaron from the Kent State Archaeological Experiment Lab. And he made an Ulu with an obsidian blade. And you see that and hold that in your hand, and you immediately understand the evolution of the Ulu knife.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it have a handler, It's just a chunk of rock.
Speaker 1: It's got the same handle and betted into it as a big obsidian blade. And you're like, oh, that's where Ulus came from. One hundred percent. Man Krim might be using this Ulu. I don't know. I don't know what she's what. I don't know what. You're not going to get that off, matter, don't take that off. Don't take it off. Let me explain. Let me explain where we're at on this kyote fleshing project. Uh I okay. Stu Miller the fur handler and trap er. Stue Miller, I fleshed cool or I fleshed some kyotes with Stew Miller. Stu Miller traps in southern Illinois. He fleshes his kyotes down, clean, clean, clean, down to the leather. I was curious about how like cause I hear different ways and like Mercer Longing would not flesh them all the way down. I asked Mercer, I said, how clean do does when you send it into a tannery? Not for the fur trade, but you do it the same way, so this is fur trade or not? Well, as we're talking, you can they see that kyote that's on that board. Yeah, that that kyut on the board for instance, that would that's prepared in a way that it would be suitable for the fur trade, or it would go to a tannery just like that off the board. And I asked Mercer, I'm like, hey, how if you're if you're sending the kyote to the tannery, how clean do you flesh it? And he had the brilliant idea of he said, why don't you call the tannery? HM never would have occurred to me. I called the tannery. I said, how do you like coyotes? They said, excess fat, excess muscle, and did they give you I knew what they meant, Well, what do they mean?
Speaker 2: What I'm having heard now, I'm saying, like why did they prefer them that way?
Speaker 1: So you don't overdo it? I think that you're that you're taking it all off. And now they have these wheels, these kind of like they have these wheels that they can thin the leather with anyways if they need to.
Speaker 2: But there's got to be other critters where you're trying to get.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of stuff that's clean. A raccoon is clean, right, yeah, like a muskrat. You leave the saddle, like right now, krim's on the saddle. Pinch that little thing there.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's not doing anything.
Speaker 1: That's like a saddle. Just cut the take take the take this flat tail, the final tool a m CAC flattail made by a man who sat right where Brody's sitting one time. Take the flat tail and cut that way like you're like you're cutting the diaphragm out of deer and you're gutting it. That's kind of a weird way you're doing that.
Speaker 3: Do you want to.
Speaker 1: You got it? You got it. That's the saddle on a muskrat, you leave the saddle on. On a mink, you leave the saddle on, and a red fox you leave the saddle on, and a raccoon the saddle comes off. Beaver clean, nothing gets left on. And a kyo. I think they used to do them clean, but they told me don't do it clean. H So that little membrane there, but you see down when she gets down by the the teats, that's a female, right. Oh, she just put a damn hole in it.
Speaker 4: No, not yet, not yet, okay, damn it.
Speaker 2: Excess fat and excess meat cameras are a This is the worst case scenario for someone doing this to a kaya for the first time.
Speaker 4: Oh so a lot of pressure. Oh, you at the table and three cameras pointing thet here.
Speaker 1: The Meat Eater Cyber Monday sale. This is your last chance. This is your last chance to take advantage of the Cyber Monday sale first like FHF gear Phelps, game calls, Dave Smith decoys, and the Meat Eater store. Uh okay, it shuts off at eleven fifty nine PM. What time zone like if you're gonna get that specific, Oh, it probably rolls. It probably rolls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And Hey, Kret, you've got no mics. You gotta use your outside voice whenever you say it.
Speaker 1: I think it would on your IP address soon now eleven fifty nine tonight. Don't be trying to shop at midnight too late fifty up to fifty percent off until eleven fifty nine tonight. I would like I challenged someone to try and make a purchase at eleven fifty nine and thirty seconds and bye.
Speaker 5: And by tonight we mean December second?
Speaker 1: Is that what this is?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 6: Monday to December second, Monday.
Speaker 1: December mountain time, up to fifty percent off First Light gear, So like yeah, first Light Gear, FHF Gear, Felts, game calls, Dave Smith decoys. Go to first light dot com and do all your shopping there. Have you covered our tools? Yeah, we got the uber knife, we got the flat tail.
Speaker 2: What's that black handle thing there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh little honer, I got you, little honer. So does that a lot of feedback? This is one of those things that continues. Oh, I was gonna say something else that was gonna talk about.
Speaker 2: Was it as tombots, no trapping, our first stuff, don't show up.
Speaker 1: At eleven fifty nine, don't shop at eleven fifty nine.
Speaker 4: No, don't get them wet, don't feed them.
Speaker 5: After, don't take too much stuff off the coyote, the saddle.
Speaker 6: Ft up shitters calendars.
Speaker 1: No, Cory's a great calendar. Corey is a good company man. Here, it's a great calendar. There. Dale was talking about it, and I dreamt up about the calendar with Santa Claus in it.
Speaker 6: I might have to walk that one up the ladder if you're cool with that.
Speaker 1: No, it's a phenomenal idea. Yeah, Randalls needs to play Santa. I would love to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, perfect, I would love to consider it done.
Speaker 1: On a recent episode, we got the feedback keeps coming. I remember there was a there's been other subjects in the history of the show where where it just kind of kept going, you know, you like, you cover something and then there's feedback, and you cover the feedback, and then the feedback gets.
Speaker 2: Feedback, sometimes for years, and the feedballbrates.
Speaker 1: It becomes what might be called a feedback loop of feedback, and it never ends, and then I'll say this is it, and then a while later we'll cover it more and eventually it'll die. So here we go again. On the show we covered pre chewing food for your children, in particular that when our kids, we have three of them, when our kids would get to be nine months old, I would chew up deer meat and I'd give them the chewed up deer meat and they would eat that, and I would say his first thing ever was that deer meat or something to that effect. And we were talking about pre chewed deer meat, and uh, we had follow up from Dirkin Pat Durkin talking about eating pre chewed meat. Our kids all eate pre chewed meat. And we have some feedback, including feedback from a a dds. What does that mean, doctor Rental, it's a dentist actually.
Speaker 2: Doctor of dentals, surgery science.
Speaker 1: Oh do you know Dennis all kind of stick together in a weird little way. Well, I mean, does that surprise doctor of dental. Do you guys remember when we had it My Dennis came on the on the show. Yeah, great guy that goat killer, Yeah mountain Maybe I have the only dentnis in America who's killed ten mountain goats. Well, well, because he grew up in Southeast Alaska, they'd get off school and go goat hunting. It's like, yeah, like why you might go like hunt for an evening for white tails. When he was growing up, you'd go hunt goats after school. Uh, only Dennis in America like that. He came out on the podcast. I can't remember if he won. He did well, Yeah, he won. I believe he won in overtime. Actually, and he just fixed my daughter's hockey helmet. Really, it's like he's trying to one up me. Did he six another man's daughter's hockey?
Speaker 5: Did he have to use a particular dental instrument to do that?
Speaker 1: Or is he just a helmet guy? He texted me and let me know he fixed.
Speaker 4: My daughter's Steve, you know, Yeah, and he's also a doctor. And then we know how Steve feels about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's all built up now. He thinks he's the man. Yeah, he's a doctor. He's a dentist. He fixed my daughter's hockey helmet. Keep your hands off my daughter's hockey helmet.
Speaker 6: Did he first say something was wrong with the helmet? Like, hey, let me see that helmet, something's wrong with it.
Speaker 1: We've been aware of a slight problem with her helmet for a year, okay, missing a screw that holds the face mask on. I always think I'm going to replace that screw and then once he tried to one up me, I did. I went and replaced it last night, and I asked him if he wanted his screw back, and he texted me that the dot, to which I followed up, you guys want to come for dinner on Monday, and he said he does.
Speaker 7: Great.
Speaker 3: I think he was saving you money.
Speaker 2: Then you guys can have your little argument about it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take him aside and I'm gonna be like, what's you trying to fix my docter's hockey helmet?
Speaker 5: You make a nicer dinner than he made the last.
Speaker 3: Time she gets into an accident. Her jaw is coming off her face, so he can see.
Speaker 2: That that was graphic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true. You see that he wouldn't fix it, hoping that something bad would happen. Problem.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like a collision repair guy. You know, hey, hey, you ought to replace those tires if he was unscrupulous to just leave it alone.
Speaker 1: But now I'm starting to like the guy again. I liked him before I got all wound up on this subject. Now back to liking them. Tighten your love nuts. So the hell was I saying, oh, how they stick together? So he came out on the podcast and we just point out he's a dentist. He's on the podcast, Well guess what other dentists contact him to offer him hunting permissions. It's like a little like dentist, like.
Speaker 5: I've not heard from a history PhD offering anything of value.
Speaker 1: He got hunting, Yeah, he gets you got hunting invites. He got hunting invites off it for being a dentist. That's pretty solid because you know what they're like. You know what, buddy, I understand. All we do is make children cry. Why don't you come out and hunt my place? You know they've been through it together. Anyways, a guy wrote in a d a dentist rode in given his two cents on pre chewed food, and he was pointing out would seem to me to be totally reasonable. He was pointing out that the quicker you can get a little kid chewing chewy foods, not super processed ultra processed foods, which are all if you think about ultra processed foods, are all soft chewing, real whole foods. That's a two handed draw knife.
Speaker 3: I just don't want I'm being.
Speaker 1: So down pre chewed foods. He was saying that you got that. A child. He was saying, a child needs to needs to have resistance training in his jaw the same way that you get you know, other exercise muscles. So he said, the quicker you get your child resistance training is jaw. He'll get a beefy good jaw. And as people switch to those little tubes that you squeeze your food out of which their consumption has gone up eight hundred percent. We were pointing out, but Brody pointed out, anything that gets invited, anything that gets invented, has seasoned explosion and growth because it didn't wasn't there before. Like cell phones, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 5: Been said skyrock nineteen fifties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when it came out with those shoes that have five toes on them, usage skyrocket, yeah, eight hundred percent, among other things. Uh So he had that say. Now another guy wrote in and he's trying to okay, he says this, I'm just gonna let him speak for himself. In episode six twenty, this is from a gentleman named matt Matthew. Matthew says, hi, me eater. In episode six twenty A Max Care that was the That was the dds's name. Letter was referenced in the discussion regarding pre chewed food as Matt flaunted his DDS. I feel obligated to mention that I am an exercise physiologist and nutritionist together.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Do they get PhDs? What does that mean? I get one of those? I don't know how you credential that? Can you look it up? Like I just could I have one by the end of the day. No, I don't think so. I'm guessing it's probably a master's degree. Well's he is, he's an exercise physiologist nutritionists. He goes on, he is very unhappy with what this guy said. He goes on. The idea that a baby needs resistance training for the jaw for appropriate mandibular development is like saying they need to do push ups so they can crawl on time. For nearly all healthy infants, this is continuing the letter. For nearly all healthy infants, their rate of deve development all gets washed out by the time they are too It's just silly fear mongering that folks use to support their ideology and sell whatever they are selling. Probably the most flawed of these is the statement that breastfeeding is superior to formulating. Controversially, yeah, I have a feeling this feedback. I've heard the breast snugly, that's true, he goes on. Probably the most flawed of these is the statement that breastfeeding is superior to formula. Funny, how funny How he neglects to mention the millions of lives saved by the advent of formula. These correlations are drawn from the predominance of poor nutrient profile in most commercial formulas. They are not causal in any way. For example, if a mother is breastfeeding but she is an alcohol is that going to be better? Is that going to better support development than a mother who canned breastfeed and is using a whole fat, high quality formula. Of course not. You know, I a little bit. Take it's a little because let me give you an example. Let's say I said to Let's say I said I'm not feeding my baby at all, and they're like, what's terrible? And I said, well, or I'll feed it mercury, right, what's better? Now? Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: It Just like I can honestly say, that's the first time the image of someone feeding an.
Speaker 1: Infant mercury has ever crossed my mouth.
Speaker 2: If they're bottle feeding them, is going to like why he's going like way out there.
Speaker 1: I take his point though, that like.
Speaker 5: If most formulas are poor nutrition, you'd you know, there's a point to be made there. But it doesn't mean that formula by default.
Speaker 1: Is so yes, is it okay? Is it better? I agree? Who could argue this that he's he's he's saying this, what's better a whole fat, high quality formula or mother's milk from a drunken alcoholic Let me think about that one.
Speaker 2: But we're talking about, yeah, the whole d we're talking Come on, here I go. I think he's being a little harsh on our guy Max, Like we're talking about like if you exercise muscle, it's going to get stronger, right, I mean, come on, I like this guy. And Max sent us a nice card, Karen, where's that card from himptop it?
Speaker 1: Oh, i's going to talk about now I shouldn't talk about No, that's I should I want to set it up that way. What's this?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a card from Max, a message to each of us.
Speaker 6: I almost threw it on that random ear on the table.
Speaker 2: Matthew. This guy does say is mostly joking, so.
Speaker 1: We should well. I like him, I think, But this remembered. I just remember what I was gonna talk about because it's something I shouldn't talk about because it's gonna get me in trouble with my wife, my kid, and my kid's school. How much trouble minor go for it my kid. I just had to go to the parents meeting for speech and debate. Mmkay. And I'm down there and I'm sitting with my wife debating with her. No I did. I was gonna say, this is like sad through the whole parents meeting. And I said to her afterward, the second the guy was done talking, we're still sitting there, and I said, I have one of those things for you that you're gonna be annoyed that I said, you're not gonna take it seriously and you're never gonna give it it's due. And this intrigued her to want to know what exactly it was, and it was this, I'm like, I don't like any part of this whole thing. Why would you want to without knowing these kids, all these kids in high school, they're even talking about parents donating money to support speech and debate.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got to hear more about why you don't like it.
Speaker 5: Like teaching your kids martial arts.
Speaker 1: No, I'm getting there as someone. It occurred to me midway something. It occurred to me midway through this whole thing. I don't know their ethics in ideology? Why would I want to spend money training them and being convincing when I don't know what they're going to try to convince people of. I would spend it in infusing them with my ethics in ideology, and then of those who adopted that them, I would then teach them to be convincing. But how could I just come into a room of high school kids and want them all to you convincing when I don't know? And I came up with a slogan, today's kids are tomorrow's enemies. That's a good one.
Speaker 4: It's like, that's one of your best.
Speaker 1: It just occurred to me, and my wife, in fact, did not give it its due. She still hasn't given me what she thinks about the whole Well.
Speaker 4: I think the idea is that it's like they're teaching them, They're giving them a template that they can slot in ideology as they get older and form their own opinions.
Speaker 1: But how do we need them certain how do we know that? We don't take a kid and make him super good at being convincing and then and then he goes out and convinces people to do horrible stuff.
Speaker 2: Becomes an anti hunting like yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be like people be like, my god, how do you get so good at convincing everybody of that? And I'd be like, oh, you know, I donated twenty dollars to his speech and debate program. Perhaps I'm to blame.
Speaker 5: I thought this is gonna be one of those scenarios where like the ex pro basketball player is watching his son get coached by a guy who never played pro bound steps.
Speaker 1: That's not how you do that. That's gotta happen. No, it really, it really shook it really shook me up.
Speaker 3: Can I interrupt for a second? How good are spin it?
Speaker 1: You're looking very good? Spin it? Spin it? Okay, we got to sol that hole with what's called the baseball stitch.
Speaker 4: Or can you pull that other towards you so we can see that.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, now you'll see that there's a set nail on the bottom of that stretching board, krin behind you, a double headed nail on the bottom. Over here, No, the bottom of that stretching board. You're pointing to a fleshing beam, the one against them. Turn your attention to the fleshing to the stretcher, and you'll see at the bottom of it there is a double headed nail. Pull that double head to nail out that will collapse and you can pull that kayut off that board. Make sure there's no thumbtack in it anywhere.
Speaker 4: How it come out.
Speaker 1: Anyways, he says, so kindly inform max care Dds. This is the part I like the most. We're back to this, so kindly inform max care dds that my formula drinking, pre chewed, dear me eating baby would whoop his baby any day of the week. That would be a great show if we had babies come and fight on this table.
Speaker 4: I think it would charge a pretty penny for tomorrow's enemies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's where he adds the mostly joking at the end of that.
Speaker 1: No good you. You raise good points, but you raise good points, thank you, Matthew. Uh uh, who wants to set that. We're gonna move move our attention over to Virginia. Well, it's kind of a letter to someone rotents. We'll just tack we'll tackle this whole thing. Uh, my good friend bubbly Doug Duran, who I adore, he's got some gripes. He's got some land owner uh gripage about this next subject. We're talking about deer hunting with hounds.
Speaker 2: Like personal experienced gripage or he just generally makes him uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: No, I gotta explain a thing because I'm a little ahead of myself. We're gonna move our attention to deer hunting with hounds in Virginia. The debate around that. Now that's in the South. You can do that just generally, like there's a culture of hound hunting for deer in the South, and there's not a culture of hound hunting for deer in the North. In the North, it's illegal, and there's a handful of Southern states. No no, no, no, no, no, no no no. You remember a podcast episode we had that was called skip the flip. Mm hmmm, we're not skipping the flip.
Speaker 4: For those listeners at home. He's referring to Corenes on the stretch to get back to the town thing.
Speaker 1: You got to put him on inside out and then you dry him overnight inside out and then you flip it or else it'll dry to the board. So skip the flip. Because Mercer Long lives in the Mojave Desert, and he was pointing out that where he lives is so dry that they don't do he doesn't need to do the two part dry. He skips the flip and just puts it on hair side out right. But you need to dry the outside and then flip it so that it doesn't stick to the board and get rotten. So it'll flip in the morning. Okay, all rights, Yep, you're getting there. I don't stretch, No, no, don't stretch. Just snug it up. Snug it up on there. You'll get more now, and then go ahead and pin those ears up so it looks like that one for now. Just pin him up, yep. Just give him a light. Don't don't lay it kind of roll it, don't Yeah, so yeah, don't not tight. You don't want to make a lot of surface connection. There's a light little pinning.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Hound hunting for deer, and and I know that like dog has where Douglaves is popular to run coyotes with dogs, hm and Doug has Doug I hate to put I'm not putting words in his mouth. We'll find well, Doug is brought up Doug has brought up the difficulty of in his area, the near impossibility of preventing your dogs from hunting other people's property.
Speaker 2: Because you're talking about small farms, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, you know, you got an area of small dairy farms and you turn them out on a coyote. The kyle goes wherever he wants. The dogs are going wherever the kyo went, and you can't really even kind of suggest that you have any control over your dogs being in other people's places. So you're sitting there deer hunt and also you know, here comes to everybody's pack of dogs and he says it causes a lot of consternation in this area.
Speaker 2: It's there's no rule against letting your dog run on other people's ground.
Speaker 1: I don't know is that true.
Speaker 2: No, I'm asking like I would assume it's legal for it, Like you're not doing anything wrong and wrong if your dog runs a coyot across three or four different properties.
Speaker 1: Well, I know this and this state that we're sitting in right now. If a dog attacks your livestock. There's no questions asked. You can kill that dog right for harrassing your livestock right away. So here's a lessener feedback. This is from a listener. Yes, okay, the guy says this recently, I state rejected regulations around the use of dogs for deer hunting, the mandated use of GPS collars, and making reasonable effort to ensure dogs can't enter property where owners have requested dogs not be run. I'm torn on this issue because I see it as a slippery slope on both sides. Meaning okay, So he's saying the state considered but ultimately rejected regulations that would have mandated deer hound hunters mandated that they put the GPS collar on their dogs so that they know where the dog is, and then with using that GPS tracking collar, make effort to keep their dogs off of people's property.
Speaker 2: With a lot of those units, you can hit like a callback button that that dog will stop doing whatever it's doing and turn around.
Speaker 1: He says, I'm torn on this issue because I see it as a slippery slope on both sides. On the one hand, I do not run dogs to hunt deer and have had many deer in Turkey hunts in recent years disturbed by a pack of dogs dogs running through the properties I can access. Given the limited weekend time I have to hunt between work responsibilities and small kids, having game runoff because of a pack of dogs coming onto a property is frustrating. I can also understand the frustration of property owners who have a pack of dogs run through and disturb their land, their livestock, or the game and habitat on their property. On the other hand, I recognize that hound hunting deer is an important tradition that many people in Virginia is an important tradition to many people in Virginia. And though I don't run dogs for deer hunting, I have hunted. I have fox hunted with a pack of hounds, a pretty similar practice. I realized that in this way, my stance is somewhat hypocritical. Regulations on hunting fox with dogs in places like England have made my state one of the last I'm gonna edit this a little bit. He's saying that his state is one of the last refuges of the sporting tradition of hound hunting with dogs. What fox hunting with dogs?
Speaker 2: No, it's just like he's just saying, it's one of the last places you can use hounds, which is a little.
Speaker 5: He's saying, regulations on fox hunts in England have.
Speaker 1: Made my state one of the last fox hunting is all I got you. No, no, no, no, he's saying. Here's what he's saying. I think he's saying, like, hey, man, in places like England, they've regulated the piss out of hunt with dogs, fox hunting to the point whebase he can't do it. So he's saying, so with England out of the picture, Virginia has become one of the last places for the sporting tradition of hunting fox with hounds. That's what he's saying. Yep. And he's saying that being able to hunt foxes with hounds is very effective and helping to manage fox and kyo populations. And he says also, just like deer hunting with dogs is constantly under attack, fox hunting is also constantly under attack in Virginia from the usual suspects in the animal rights community. He goes on, I recognize the near possibility of keeping a large pack of dogs together and off adjoining properties while they are on the hunt, and I realized that hound hunters don't want to give an inch on the deer hunting issue because of the need to guard the gate, Meaning deer hound hunters in Virginia are fighting for the defense of their lifestyle and they're not in the mood to entertain compromises. And he says, which I fully understand and support. I also personally don't believe that the most recent proposed regulations would be all that effective in keeping a pack of dogs off adjoining properties. So that being said, what do you think can be done in cases like this where hunters are adversely affected by the actions and traditions of other hunters. I do think there is a legitimate question around the rights of private property owners, which would benefit me personally. But by regulating one group of hunters in this way, aren't we cracking open the door for the slow erosion of other hunting traditions?
Speaker 2: Very well, put, yep, that's the problem. Like, you know, it doesn't bother you unless it's affecting you directly, right, But then when it affects you directly, it's like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, where does that put you?
Speaker 2: There's no good answer, right, Like no.
Speaker 1: If I came from otters, if I lived on a planet outer space, I'll tell my kids there to day that from other planets perspectives weren't outer space. I was going to say, you live on a planet. You know what I'm saying. They have a very like them centric worldview. I was trying to be like, you know, we're in outer space. If someone isn't another.
Speaker 4: If aliens came here, they're talking about aliens.
Speaker 1: They're talking about us being in outer space anyhow, if other than a planet an outer space. And I was totally not I was like, totally rational but completely unhip to social morase on Earth. Follow and someone said, hey, man, you know, as a Martian, do you think that someone should be able to take a big pack of dogs and and the person can't go on the neighbor's place, but he can send his dogs around that neighbor's place to chase the deer back over to his place so he can shoot him. As a Martian, unattuned to, not tuned into moras on planet Earth, I would be like, no, I don't think you should be able to do that. Yeah, it's called Mars Justice. Sounds like a show, like like I'm not into any kind of you know, as a Martian, I'm not into like any kind of long term like you know what I mean. I just take face value arguments, right, I don't know the history.
Speaker 5: Yeah that makes sense, But I'm not from Mars.
Speaker 2: I mean, if if you had a pack of dogs screw up your hunt a time or two, it'd be hard to have the attitude like I'm gonna take one for the team here, right.
Speaker 1: M h. I'll put that Martian thing in another way. Let's say you were setting up a whole new state. Like you got a whole new state, and you're in charge of setting up a whole new state, and you gotta like figure out all the rules. And when this came up and they said, well, what are we gonna do about? Like we all agree that you can't go on another guy's lamb without permission, right, And everybody's like, oh, yeah, that's that's obvious. And they go, what about if he sends his big old pack of dogs all around in the neighbor's place, it brings all them to your back and and he gets them on his place. What should we do in our new state? There's no tradition, Yeah, there's no tradition. Part of that. So I'm trying to get at with this Martian stuff. There's I'm not considering tradition. Yeah, I would be like, in this state, this traditionless state, I would say that I don't think you should be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But we're not talking about a new state. We're talking about a state that has a long tradition.
Speaker 4: Of This is like you're if days were forty eight hours long, argument, then why it would be okay to wear the same outfit for those forty eight hours?
Speaker 1: Like why I wear my clothes two days in a row.
Speaker 4: Now, if we lived at a completely different reality, then they would be different.
Speaker 5: Yes, I I mean this I think raises the question. Like in Montana, we actually did create a new hound hunting opportunity for black bears recently, and at the time it was proposed, I was a little nervous that going out in the spring it would be a different experience.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't like I didn't.
Speaker 5: It's not like I don't support hound hunting, you know, straight all over the place because this is about private property, buddy, Well, no, I'm we're talking about tradition and whether we're creating tradition or or like creating a new opportunity. And I will say, like my concerns.
Speaker 1: About that you're talking about my new state.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that I was falling up that that question. Like, I mean, there are instances where it's not just a new state, but there are new traditions being proposed understood. And I will say, like it it didn't change the spring blackbird hunt in the way that I thought it might.
Speaker 2: But I got an answer for this guy just needs to package. Here we go, just answer he just needs to get a pack of dogs. The problem solved.
Speaker 1: But I do think that it can't beat them, join them.
Speaker 5: The private property thing is weird because I killed I killed a lion a couple of years ago, and when the dogs are chasing that lion, they picked up another lion and some of the lions. Some of the dogs went down and tree a cat on private property and like a little subdivision.
Speaker 2: But allowed to go legally, go get your dogs off.
Speaker 5: We I mean we went down and knocked on the door and got the dogs and the cat presumably I'm pretty sure, but it was still I mean, it still feels very uncomfortable, right. I'm kind of like because I do think like if if I were that homeowner. And I looked out my window and there's like a couple of guys pulling their dogs away from a tree and there's a cat up there. Like yeah, that's it's a little weird, and I felt funny about it.
Speaker 1: But what you're gonna do. I've totally changed my mind now that I thought about them more. Now, if I was setting up a new state and someone brought this up, you know what I would think to myself, everybody has to have dogs. No picture this, just let me walk it. Let me picture a scenario.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 1: We're looking at extremes. I'm looking at the extreme of the he sends all his dogs over there. He sends like thirty dogs over there to do like an organized drive right and like strip this guy's property of deer. That's an extround view. But picture this pictures little Tommy. Little Tommy Dickinson is hunting rabbits with his beagle on the fence line with old Man Morgan. So we got little Tommy Dickinson hunting old Man Morgan's fence line, and he's got his little beagle, Patsy. Patsy periodically is under the fence, across the fence, under the fence across the fence. What do you do? Shoot Tommy Dickinson or dog shoot Patsy? Is that what you're saying, shoot him both? Of course not. He can't control Patsy's going around Old man Morgan's in his place. Yeah, no, want to live in a place like this.
Speaker 6: That rabbit runs out of Morgan's deck and then followed him under.
Speaker 1: The deck, and Morgan's on the deck sleeping.
Speaker 5: What if the dog goes into Morgan's house he starts eating his cat's food.
Speaker 1: And it gets sticky. That's why this is a tricky one. Because it's a tricky one, you almost want to make a rule that says like, don't push it. Oh yeah, yeah, if you're a hound hunter, don't push it. Control your dogs, don't push it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or look, you could kind of train up hound hunters to be like we're doing a deer push here with our hounds. Knock on some doors in advance, let the landowners know, maybe they'll come. I don't know, like there's ways that like handle this that might make it more palatable to people.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me hit you with this one. Then, since we're playing this game, I've talked about this, we have our rough cut episode. We got a rough cut episode. We talked about a bunch where me and seth ur ratland bucks down in Texas. Now we're hunting on a property where they don't do any kind of like food feeding licks, mineral licks. Nothing's got natural water, well like dirt tanks for cattle and natural food. That's it. They don't lift a finger for the deer for feeding them. The neighboring place is a very managed deer property, okay, And they got all the feeders and all that kind of stuff they're putting out like they're like deworming the deer all kinds.
Speaker 2: Of but not high fences are they doing?
Speaker 1: No, No, gotcha no, but they're like taking care of deer, managing deer. We we would make a habit of sitting close to that border, rattling, trying to rattle over the big those real healthy ones, trying to rattle over these like high protein megabucks. Could you make the case, well, you're sound, you're sound is coming onto my property taking my deer. No, you couldn't. Come on.
Speaker 2: It's a dog versus some rattling.
Speaker 1: It's just if you're setting up a new state. This is all stuff you gotta consider. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, I I that one is. I don't think there's any like wrong there. But yeah, if I was like managing my dear herd and the neighbor just always.
Speaker 2: Set up on the property line, right, you might put a fence up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might put a fence up. That's a big part of growing up, though, is whatever place you have permission to hunt on or whatever public mind you got, like you edge it. You know, the best hunting is right on the edge. You can get permission to be Like some guy's got three hundred acres and you look over at that neighbor's place and you're like, I'm gonna sit around. It's gotta be better over there. And the neighbor's taking to say anything about your place, so his tree stands also right on the edge of the property you got frishon.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: But you know, but I can only take this New State Mars stuff so far, because like, there is the tradition thing. I've just really my sympathies go out to the hound hunters who are doing the same thing, but the the culture is changing around them. Yeah, let me ask you this, they're like holdouts.
Speaker 2: If if this was Virginia. Yeah, let's say a ballot box movement came up to just outlaw hound hunting, dear hound hunting. Like, what you know, something just happened in Colorado.
Speaker 1: I'd fight it tooth and nail.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's I mean, that's what it boils down.
Speaker 1: I'd carpet bag it from out here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Like, you know what, that's a reference to someone drawing some bags in a carpet or a carpet and a bag reconstruction.
Speaker 1: I know, why'd you act like you're dumb?
Speaker 2: Because you obviously wanted to explain it.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You're like, he explain it no matter.
Speaker 5: Why you act like you were dumb because I knew you wanted to act like you were smart.
Speaker 1: Up, Thanks many thanks.
Speaker 5: My reaction to this guy's letter is like, yeah, it's complicated, you know, like he sees it from a lot of different ways than I do too.
Speaker 1: I'll propose it. I'm gonna propose the most the only constructive thing I have to say on this thing. I would if I was a if I I'm not a deer hound hunter in Virginia, but I'm an occasional recreational trapper in Montana. I don't always do just what I I don't always do what I could. I don't always do what I could totally because in my mind, I'm like, yeah, you know, you could do that. You could do that. You might get someone real upset, but you can do it. But I could also do it over there and not have anybody get real upset. And sure I could do that, but I'm just not gonna do it, yeah, because I don't wanna, you know, I don't when I sense that I'm doing a thing that like, well, yeah you could, but I shy away from those in those moments, you know. And if I was a deer hound hunter in Virginia and I thought there's nothing stopping me from hunting what was his name, though, Man Morgan Morgan. I know old Man Morgan has asked me a hundred times not to hunt his place on the opening day, but he can't stop me. Yeah, well, it's the song I'm gonna hunt Old Man Morton.
Speaker 5: I feel like the same way when I'm gonna go hunt a spot and there's two trucks parked where I wanted to park. My attitude isn't like I can do whatever I want. It's kind of like if I were parked here, I wouldn't want someone to pull him behind me.
Speaker 1: I was gonna put decoys on that pond and no one can stop me, So move your decoys over.
Speaker 5: I was gonna sit in that tree, and there's a guy sitting in this tree, I'm gonna sit right next to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd say, if you're a dear hound hunter in Virginia, the best way to make sure it sticks around for a while to just show some courtesy and some restraint.
Speaker 1: Moving on across the country to Arizona.
Speaker 2: No, we're not doing this.
Speaker 1: We're skipping this. Maner Well, no, he's just asking a question.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is this is not.
Speaker 1: Oh we're skipping this. Should Yeah, moving on across the country to reciprocity the Dakotas. Yeah, moving to the Dakotas. Kind of across the country, we could across a chunk of it. On a recent podcast episode six seventeen, if you haven't put this together yet, we're talking about old podcast episode discussion points. We touched on a thing that states do called reciprocity, and I had always known reciprocity only under the interesting little management. I'm struggling here. I had known reciprocity only in one context, and for bearer management. They use reciprocity to even the playing field from one state to the next according to how their policies toward non residents. That was a terrible sentence. Put hear me out. Montana historically has not allowed non residents to buy a fur harvester license. Okay, so of the species that are living or managed as fur bearing animals muskrat, mink otter, beaver, bobcat. Okay, there manages fur bearing animals. There was no non resident opportunity to do with that in Montana. They changed it, but there wasn't so they would set Other states would set up a thing called reciprocity, meaning a state would say we will sell you a non resident trapping permit if your state would sell one of our residents a non resident trapping permit. It and because of reciprocity, if you lived in Montana, you didn't fur trap out of state in a state that practiced reciprocity. Because they're like, dude, you can't prevent like you're preventing our citizens from buying the tags, but then you want to come here and buy one of ours.
Speaker 2: They do the same with license prices too in some cases.
Speaker 1: Oh do they think?
Speaker 2: I think maybe, like you come to a state and pay thousand bucks for an ELK tag. Okay, people from that state come to your your state to buy a deer tag, and they're going to charge you.
Speaker 1: I think they're example, they'll stick it to them. Yeah. Well, the other example that was even aware of is is South Dakota had a reciprocity? Was it North or South Dakota had this? South Dakota had no the spearfishing one North Dakota, North Dakota. North Dakota had a reciprocity around spear and pike through the ice. They're like, you can spear pike through the ice if a North the Coton can spear pike through the ice on your place. And I was musing about this reciprocity issue because I was saying, let's say Colorado had passed that failed. But let's say Proposition one twenty seven had passed in Colorado and suddenly you cannot hunt lines in Colorado. Would a state ever exercise reciprocity to a Colorado resident, meaning a Colorado resident wants to come to Montana and they're like, hey, I want to buy a mountain lion tag Montana would say no because our residents can't hunt mountain lions in your state, right. I was musing about this, just the issue of reciprocity, and we got some listener feedback from it. A guy writes in I had the opportunity to tune into the Popping Corks podcast. That's a name of an episode where the topic of reciprocity was discussed from a wildlife management perspective. While I can stack hands, I never heard of say expression before. While I can stack hands on the idea of states and their respective agencies dictating reciprocity rules for state managed species, I find it a hard pill to swallow when it comes to the topic of federally managed species, specifically and selfishly waterfowl. He goes on, why is it that a state such as South Dakota can have a non resident lottery for a federally managed species. I buy a federal duck stamp, which presumably some of this money goes to habitat and conservation activities in the state of South Dakota, among all others. Why then, would I not have the same opportunity as a resident? He goes on, you know, uh, he's not advocating to pay a resident rate. Blah blah blah. I don't mean a blah blah blah of disrespect, but I mean that's the base, this idea, what he's saying. But he's overlooking something. Oh, he goes there's one in another point he makes. This became more top of mind to me when the limitation of non resident hunters was brought up with respect to Stuttgart, Arkansas. He says, Indeed, reciprocity is a slippery slope. Alec, you're overlooking something. Ducks aren't just they're not just federally managed, they're state in, federal and international.
Speaker 5: And I also think like the reciprocity thing is a little more complicated than just treating residents and non residence the same. The reciprocity is about one state treating non residents in their state and another state treating non residents to that state in the same way, right, Like, yeah, it's the state.
Speaker 1: It's a state having varied attitudes toward non residents depending on what state they come from and what the rulers of that state are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so here, I'm not clear how the reciprocity. He seems to have more of a complaint with the difference between residents and non residents.
Speaker 1: They got him thinking, yeah, the reciprocity thing got them thinking yeah about this. Yeah, they're okay, just a couple things here before it really taking on the question. You're right, there's federal oversight of waterfowl regulations. Waterfowl regulations are jointly managed by the Feds in the state. You might say, well, why the hell is that, Well, think about it. They're migratory. Okay, So let's say you had one state that totally shit the bed on waterfowl management and they kill every dock that comes through their state. Well, that state is then screwing over other states along the flyway. So there's like some federal oversight. Meaning these birds aren't stationary. They move internationally in some cases. I mean there's many birds that are they're nesting in northern Alaska, they fly all across Canada, they fly over six or seven states, maybe more on the way down, and they ultimately you know, some of our teal will winter in the Bahamas, will have ducks at winter in Mexico. Right, So there's an international bird. So there's international and federal oversight on waterfowl management, but the state still plays a very important role in rule setting and enforcement, and when they look at things like bag limits on ducks, the FEDS factor in the importance of the state to waterfoul preservation in general, meaning if you're a state that has that hosts a lot of breeding pairs of birds for a long period of time, you're going to be treated differently than a state that maybe they only pass through for a month out of the earth. All fair. So it's like, it's not just federal, it's federal and eight that's a thing. That's why you gotta have a state waterfall stamp and a federal waterfall stamp. So I don't think the Feds are saying. The Feds aren't saying. And I got an idea they're not going. They're not going, like the Feds aren't going. And let's have it be that in South Dakota, non residents can't hunt. That's not coming from the Feds. That's coming from the state who has management authority.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what exactly, Like what kind of lot are we talking about? Lottery for drawing?
Speaker 1: They capped South Dakota's capped. You got to draw to hunt ducks in South Dakota. I drew it a couple of years ago. We went, we went hunted ducks in South Dakota.
Speaker 2: We like drew the Is it a state wide deal or specific areas or.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's state wide. I could be wrong. I can't remember. And then they have different dates too, and it's just have a resident opener a non resident opener. His whole gripe, I think his whole gripe is he's saying, how could you have a thing where there's federal oversight but you have states making up their own rules, And it's like, I guess the simplest answer is, it's not just federal oversight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the state South Dakota's Fish and Game Agency is also managing those ducks and geese.
Speaker 1: Simple as that. In addition to here's another guy on reciprocity, he says. He points out what he's eating as he writes this. He's eating eggs, chicken, and pomegranate seeds.
Speaker 3: That is an interesting combination.
Speaker 1: He says. Let's say you invite me to your home. Okay, he says, Let's say you invite me to your home and you let me know there's no shoes in the house policy for the purpose of keeping your carpet clean, like every Asian household. I obviously it's like, man, my wife's trying to pull that on me right now. Oh she's trying to after all these years. She claims that it's always been that way. I just haven't listened.
Speaker 3: No, it's just so much better.
Speaker 9: You just leave your shoes, You just leave your outside shoes.
Speaker 3: But you're yeah, yeah, yes, it's.
Speaker 1: Like no ship. It's obvious to you.
Speaker 2: Especially when you're like going in and out of the house doing ship.
Speaker 1: You gotta take them off. That's my whole thing. My hands all dirt untied.
Speaker 3: You are exiting. See there you go.
Speaker 1: I have a thing. I have these wool over shoes that you put you slip your feet into to then run.
Speaker 4: Through the house or you can do that.
Speaker 3: But no, just it's like.
Speaker 1: A giant flip flop. No, it's like a giant slide in.
Speaker 2: You got to get your kids to buy into it too, if you got kids.
Speaker 1: And that's difficult. Man, that's your thing. It's like the dog. Don't take it well.
Speaker 3: Some people white wash their dogs his feet before they.
Speaker 7: That.
Speaker 1: We just mop will I might switch. I might switch because my wife. It drives my wife bananas.
Speaker 6: Do you think he's eating a Frida egg or scrambled eggs with his chicken and pomegranate?
Speaker 9: You think the pomegranates rot, you know, like Frida egg and chicken.
Speaker 1: That's a little bit like that steak and chicken Friday and chicken. It's like that Old Testament prohibition against eating meat and milk together, like like you can't, like you wouldn't boil a calf in its mother's milk, like separating. Yeah, it's like a chicken in the egg. It's like sheese, what came first? Give him a break?
Speaker 6: And when I was in Hawaii eating scrambled eggs and there was a chicken pecking at my feet, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like my baby circle of life. Let's get back to the show. Okay. So I tell him, hey man, this guy here, he writes in. I tell him, I said, hey man, don't wear your shoes at my house. I want to keep my carpet clean. He says, I obviously respect that rule and leave my stinkers. It's a euphemism for shoes I gather. Leave my stinkers at the door outside.
Speaker 2: Unless he's got really smelly feet, then you'd want him to keep his shoes on.
Speaker 1: Here's where it gets written. Here's where it gets ridded. He goes on to say, one week later, I invite you to my home. I do not have such a shoe rule. In fact, I have no carpet in the house. But since I had to take my shoes off at your house, I then tell you to leave your shoes at the door as I walk around in my own shoes.
Speaker 4: Sounds deranged.
Speaker 1: He's equating all of this to reciprocity. But then I got.
Speaker 5: Lost, But he says, that's petty international. I think the or metaphor is you come into my house and I crack open a beer and I tell you I don't let people who don't live in this house eat or drink in my house. And then I go over to your house and I want to eat your food right like, like there's not a This is silly because it doesn't affect anybody. But the reality is like if you if you told somebody that they can't have any of like a beer in the fridge, and then you went over to their house and grabbed a beer out of their fridge.
Speaker 1: That would be weird. Yeah. Yeah, I just want to open a business where I would help people rationalize irrational decisions.
Speaker 2: You got to come up with a good name for that.
Speaker 3: We've got a podcast to do that on that can be a new segment well.
Speaker 1: Because it'd be like, let's say a guy wants to buy a new truck but just makes zero sense, right, he called, and I'd be like, hey, man, you work hard, you know, yeah, I mean, do you feel like your full self and that old truck, Like, don't you feel that you're gonna show up better at work and show you better for your family? When you feel more confident that he'll hang up, be like, God, buy that truck.
Speaker 6: Putting American families in debt, and then you get you commission from four.
Speaker 3: You should bring Susie Ormond back on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, Listeners decide if they want to. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like you help and this is his thing. This guy could start a little project where he takes complex law issues and brings them home, you know, complex law issues and he brings them into like household analogies.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but if you like Steve's idea and then ride into the Mediater podcast at the meadeater dot com with your dilemmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something you need to justify but you just can't, or I'll help you. If you're trying to to like get something out of your wife or get a concession out of your wife, but you can't think of how to approach it, I'll walk you through it.
Speaker 3: What are they put in the subject line?
Speaker 1: I need help?
Speaker 3: That's perfect, I need help.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: We occasionally get emails every now and then from people who really do need help, so we might just Yeah, there might be a boy cried wolf situation.
Speaker 1: There on the same subject, sort of the same subject. It really like the reciprocity thing really got folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of people wrote it.
Speaker 1: In Okay, so here here's this one. Uh, not the same thing as reciprocity, but a something that seems unfair. Okay, dear me Eater crew. I know the subject of paying higher prices if you are a non resident has been covered on the podcast, but I'm in a situation that I don't think has been covered and would like to get everyone's thoughts. I'll try to make a long story short. I grew up in the northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, where my family owns hunting land with a camp. After I graduated high school, I joined the military, did twenty years. Here he's stacking the deck.
Speaker 2: He is, he's setting himself up as he's stack in the deck. He's trying to like gain points in his favor.
Speaker 1: But has nothing with all due respect, respect it, thank you for your thank you for he's stacking the deck.
Speaker 9: He may have taken the class that your kids, right, but nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. This is the kind of thing I would help someone with.
Speaker 2: It would be like if Steve murdered someone and they were like, Bud, he was a really good guy.
Speaker 1: What about what about a favor written?
Speaker 5: And if I graduated high school and I never quite really figured out what I wanted to do, kind of bounced around for a while, got.
Speaker 1: In trouble with the law, and now I'd like to buy a resident hunting license. So you're sta. You know, he's stacking the deck. I'll let him do it. I'll give I'll let him do it. After I graduated high school, I joined the military to twenty years. Thank you for your service. I'm he's stacking the deck.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it and it can now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so put that out of your head and weighing the fairness of this. He's here. He the jury, they call it. He tainted the jury.
Speaker 2: He would start here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And now so now we're back to the fact of the matter, with all due respect. And now I am a permanent resident of Wisconsin, which is where my wife is from. That's a good detail. That's not stacking the deck. He goes on. I do bow hunt in Wisconsin. He doesn't mention this as a resident under resident pricing. He doesn't mention that I do bow hunt Wisconsin. But I still go to Michigan every year for the firearm deer season to hunt at our camp. And of course now I have to pay for a non resident license. Last year, my dad took his name off the deed and added mine to it. I am now part owner along with a couple other family members, which means I'm paying my part of the property, taxes, utilities, and everything else that goes along with owning a hunting camp. It seems to me that this is a little on the unfair side because of all the other monies I am paying to the state of Michigan by owning land that I still have to pay full price for a non resident hunting license. He proposes a third category. He feels that there should be a third category called the non resident landowner to be fair. No, no, just waiting.
Speaker 2: Montana has that coming home to hunt thing, which is yep, yeah, really love that. But anyway, he's what he's saying is he's deserves a discount, right, he.
Speaker 1: Says, Hey, I'm paying property tax is a mission. I deserve a discount. But here's the thing from state fishing game agencies perspective, you can only be a resident of one state. Yes, right, do you vote twice?
Speaker 5: I don't understand why why this is so like fuzzy, you know, like if you get busted for poaching, your name goes into a database and then you're you lose hunting and fishing privileges.
Speaker 1: Right in all these.
Speaker 5: Other compact stations in four states, Why don't we just have a database where you you are a resident of this state and it just cross references it. Because you hear all the time about people buying three or four.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, right, when when I was running the fly shop, like we're a license vender back in Colorado and there's a lot of second homeowners in the valley we lived in, and this ship came up all the time for fishing licenses, elk tags. They'd bring in bills, they'd show you, they're like, they show you all sorts of shiit to like be like look, and I'm like, dude, you're not a resident. Like there's nothing I can do about it.
Speaker 1: He goes on to bring up another gripe. I'm not hacking on the guy. He's great questions. He brings up another gripe. There's a lot of elk in that area, but it's a draw, but the elk draw isn't And he's got elk to come on to his family's property, but he's not eligible for the elk draws. He's not a resident. I would look at it like this, his name Scott, Scott. I would think about it a little bit like this. Would you write us saying, hey, man, I vote in Wisconsin, but I own a place in Michigan, so I'd like to vote there too, Or would you write into us and say, hey, I'm applying for unemployment privileges in Wisconsin, but I have a place in Michigan. I want to apply for unemployment benefits in Michigan too. I mean, of course not, it wouldn't.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't surprise me if there were a state out there that had an on resident landowner category pricing difference.
Speaker 1: No, because you know there's gonna be a lot of money that's put into lobbying for that rule. Yep.
Speaker 5: And you could picture how that rules would non resident landowner of preferences in the draw, which has been a you know a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, this guy should know about this, Scott, you're gonna dig You're gonna dig this one. If the if your situation was going on in other states, there'd probably be a thing where you were eligible. There might be a thing where you guys were eligible for landowner tags. That wouldn't matter where you were a resident. Just this is all happening to you in the wrong state. Yep.
Speaker 5: But I'd look at it this way. You got a great hunting camp in Michigan. You're resident of Wisconsin, so you can hunt there. Tags are a little more expensive. It sounds pretty good.
Speaker 3: Ye how much are tags there?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: How much are we talking about.
Speaker 2: Not Western price non resident prices.
Speaker 3: So it's not like if he that he'd be like thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: And I'll bet you can shoot a whole pile of deer on that Michigan license if you wanted to.
Speaker 9: Sorry, Scott transfers his residence to Michigan and becomes an out of stat or in Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: Non resident looks like one hundred and ninety bucks versus.
Speaker 2: That's a smoking deal forty bucks.
Speaker 1: What I feel Scott should if he was gonna, if he was going to rate out what chaps is ass more. I feel like he should have greater ass chap over the elk thing. Yeah. Yeah, that would chap my ass more than the one ninety because he's hunting at home for twenty bucks. Yeah in Wisconsin. Yeah, the elk thing's tough. Oh you know what, here's the deal too. I could Okay, my mom still lives in the house I was brought up in. I could say to my mom. I could be like, hey, mom, we need to get my name. I want to get my name on the deed to the house. Yeah, so that I can start hunting there as a resident. Yep.
Speaker 5: I mean that's the that's a low. I feel like that's why residency has to be very particular, you know, like because because there's all kinds of ways guys could fuzz it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know what I would do. I would go round to every state and I'd be like, I call realtor. I'd be like, I want to buy the dumbest, shittiest little lot you can find, Like it doesn't even need to be big enough for me to stand on. Yeah, Like, if you can find any weird little thing I can buy. That way, I could be a resident.
Speaker 5: Of county with the lowest taxes.
Speaker 1: That way, I cant as a resident there, Scott, be shamed yourself, Scott, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being a listener of Scott.
Speaker 2: Sorry, buddy, I love you to death, Scott.
Speaker 1: But I just, oh, you know what I failed to say? He says, am I just whinding over nothing. He's not winding over Canna shorten that whole thing up and said, uh huh, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean he's not saying he's not saying I want to get a resident tag. To be fair, he's not saying I should be able to get a resident.
Speaker 2: He's just saying somewhere in the middle, like, cut him a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somewhere the break. Yeah, twenty years of the military. Cut me a break.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let him apply for an elk tag.
Speaker 1: So he ends his thing. In all fairness to Scott, he ends this thing. So do I have a legitimate complaint about paying non resident fees? Nor am I just whining over nothing? Thanks for your thoughts on this. I you know he should do. He should go hunt dogs place.
Speaker 2: With dom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with dogs. He should get a big pag of dogs and go down and run him through Doug's property. And where is she wear shoes in Dug's house? Don't care Doug's house. You gotta put your shoes on to go inside. You're looking at you like, yeah, I put my shoes off, my rubber boots. I don't mean Doug's house. That's mean Dougs the fucking camp. Yeah, their camp. But no, no, And he cleans up and he kind of got he used to have this thing where you know those uh, those little lady bugs aren't ladybugs.
Speaker 3: It's like white ones.
Speaker 1: No, it looks just like a lady bug. But it's Asian Japanese.
Speaker 2: You're not talking about Japanese beetles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we had a lot of those around. Oh my god. They carpet the place, you know, like you know those little pole cords in the upstairs. They got like a four foot ceiling where we sleep up there, and he's got pole cords. You you know, turn the light on off, it'll be that, it'll be that they'll those little Japanese beetles will be covering the pole beetle.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Now they're like a shiny copper color.
Speaker 1: It looks like a ladybug.
Speaker 2: Then we're not talking about the same thing.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to wrap the show up on type in like.
Speaker 4: Six people with with computers. Let's see how long this takes.
Speaker 1: Looks like a ladybug, but not it is a dude. Looks like a lady Barosmith, Asian lady, Asian lady.
Speaker 3: Beatles, Mexican bean beetle. Look at that.
Speaker 1: Asian lady beetles, so Mexicans. So many of those were in his place that you know those pull cords you go c lights on and off, it would be I'm not you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not. So many of them on that string that the ones in the bottom, like ah, fall away, and there's more coming across the ceiling and getting on the rope and like the lower guys like I get burn, hang on off I mean you wake up, they're in your hair. So yeah, when that was going on, you'd have to put your shoes, you'd want to put shoes on and go in. But he had a he had a infestation exterminator type dude to come out and put some stuff on the walls to try to get a grip on it. It was bad. So now not even gonna talk about the flies.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is interesting about the Asian lady me dog.
Speaker 1: I love that place, man, It's my favorite place in the world. All right, thanks for joining everybody. Tune in next time. Off the dark of a lake.
Speaker 8: Enough to suffer.
Speaker 1: The size thick, But I don't ever come and see my ugly stack.
Speaker 7: On the ground door tree, your pupkin, see.
Speaker 8: All lad me an from this world's.
Speaker 7: Band fish and squirrel, but the sun of dogs with too much fur, my new best friends.
Speaker 8: A mountain, American maid, box and rays staring.
Speaker 1: The eye of the black fans.
Speaker 8: On the ground.
Speaker 1: No tree, but you're called can see.
Speaker 8: Maybe your home mouth leaves and waves of fulfilled disentional dem as a dream as a.
Speaker 1: Dream and fish swep.
Speaker 8: And fish and squirrel, fish and squirrel, a finish school, finish
Speaker 1: And finishing school,