Speaker 1: Training Camp Cast.
Speaker 2: The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots training Camp.
Speaker 1: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 3: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered?
Speaker 4: What did I miss yesterday? Now here to review today's practice?
Speaker 1: The writers of Patriots dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, thirteen practices in the books. Welcome into the Patriots Training Camp Cast. I'm Mike you So, joined by Evan Lazar and Paul Parillo and guys. We had a little bit of a downshift today as the team gets ready to face the Eagles. We heard from the defensive coaches beforehand. Talked a little bit to them. I think cornerback's probably a position maybe we should talk about just depth. That seems like they're getting, you know, a little banged up there. But otherwise some situational works, some like get off our own goal line kind of stuff. Some red zone stuff to me felt like more of the same kind of you know, a couple plays here and there, but you know, continues to kind of be up and down, and you see Demorrio Douglas again. He continues to stand out as a guy who is probably he has taken over from Jalen Polk is the most consistent receiver.
Speaker 4: Polly, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 2: Well, I think saying that's mostly what we've seen is probably the best way to put it. It's not to say that it's been overly good or overly bad in either direction. It's just we're in that part of training camp now where we have so much data of all the things that we've seen that it would be something pretty crazy that we haven't seen already. If all of a sudden it was like this practice where the offense looks like the oh seven Patriots and they're just lighting it up. We haven't seen that yet. We also haven't seen them look like a complete disaster either, So I think offensively, what I'm looking forward to with the next couple of days with the Eagles joint practice and then hopefully some more action for the ones and twos in the game on Thursday night is how much some of the stuff that they're trying to do schematically starts to work against another opponent. At this point, it feels like the defense has seen everything in Avp's rollodex, So are you really going to be all that surprised by that bootleg or this fake there or that formation or whatever, probably not at this point of the summer. So maybe the Eagles coming in, we'll see if some of those things are going to take to take to fruition and be a little bit more productive than what we've seen in practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I do think that's a big part of it. I think the defense is sort of sitting on a lot of stuff right now. There weren't a lot of completions today of any kind short even the short ones that they generally do. Some of those were getting knocked away. A screen pass got knocked away today. So yeah, the bigger thing to me is not necessarily about the offensive execution. To me, it's the whole operation that continues to be a problem on both sides of the ball. The defense sent for laps twice for having ten men on the field, you know, prior to a snap, and then a couple of fall starts again, you know, a couple of realignments again. So and Jacoby Brissett talked after practice. He mentioned that as something he really wants to see cleaned up a little bit in the joint practice tomorrow against Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: So that's what we're all of course waiting for me and that kind of changing things. We'll see some different competition. Of course, excited to see some of the Eagles guys, just going back real quick guys to the defensive coaches, it's always, you know, kind of scattershot. They throw these you know, six seven coaches at you and you run around. You talk to this guy, you talk to that guy. I floated around a little bit, you know. Jerry Montgomery, the defensive line coach. I know you talked to him, Evan about Jeremiah Farms, who's you know, had a little bit of a moment here over the last couple of days with his performance coming out of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really complimentary of Farms and Oceane Zimmon. He's saying they're taking what they're doing on the practice field and bringing it into a game last Thursday night. So that's always good to see. When you have those players that flash in the game but aren't flashing in practices, you always wonder if that's going to be consistent and if they're gonna be able to do it week in and week out. Whereas those two guys have been good in practice, now they're been good in a preseason game. So I think he's hopeful that they're going to be able to contribute to this team, and the coaches on the defensive side of the ball, they didn't really dodge the fact that Christian Barmore is not here and he's not walking through that door. It doesn't sound like anytime soon, and they realize that that is a big, big hole in the middle of the defense. So I'm not saying that Jeremiah Farms is going to be Christian Barmore and he's going to do it all on his own. But these are some of the guys that, in terms of where they play on the field but also pass rush production, that they might need to step up to replace Barmore.
Speaker 4: I think a guy like Keon White is going to have to play a big, a big, big role, and we keep seeing him with that first group that starts off a lot of these a lot of these team periods. And I do think that because Evans right, Farms is a good story. He's a run stuffer, though he's not necessarily a guy that even though he flashed in the game, he had nice sack in the game, I don't think that's necessarily what he's going to make is living doing same with Tristan Hill, if he's a guy that ends up sticking around. He's been around four or five years. He has like one and a half career sacks. Keon White's a guy that I do think has the ability to maybe be more of a hybrid kind of a player. We'll see, you know, we have We're gonna have to see it during the regular season, but I think he might be a guy that can eat up some of those reps.
Speaker 3: I think Daniel Quality to me, is another one who's a kind of interior guy. Filled in for far more a couple of years ago. He should be in that mix as well. It's just, you know, somehow keeping things first. No Hunter Henry today. He was seeming like a little nicked up yesterday saw him getting looked at. Did not practice. Fortunately. Sean Wade, who had a good game the other night, I thought, is now back out of practice. He was in a red jersey for a big portion of camp. But the two pieces I want to just you know, talk about cornerback Jonathan Jones. Don't know if he's hurt, if they're just managing him. Didn't participate today. Marcus Jones has now been out for it feels like you know, going on going back a week and a half, almost he hasn't participated. Alex Austin, Marco Wilson getting a lot of opportunities. We heard from Marco Wilson today after practice, Isaiah Bolden in the slot. It just seems like, other than Christian Gonzalez, they continue to kind of scramble and try to find a combination works.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned that we got a chance to talk to the coaches, Mike Pelagreen over cornerbacks. Coach didn't really seem all that concerned, you know, about the guys missing or about the depth in general. I continue to think that that is an enormous concern that, you know, those guys beyond Gonzales and Jonathan Jones, do they have answers? And you know, we'll find out now. I do think one thing that pel Agrino said today about those guys that I agree with is there's some versatility with the group. You know, we've seen Bolden, we've seen Wilson, We've seen these guys play inside outside. They can do some different than Alex Austin. I think DeMarcus Comington actually singled out as another guy that can do some of those things. So I do think there's some versatility back there. I'm not sure there's an answer back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. With their system, I always feel like their coaches just believe in what they're doing from a coverage standpoint, and we've seen it over the years, and I know we're going to have to see if this continues post Belichick, that they're able to just pluck these corners, you know, udfa's late round picks and things like that, and make them into viable players. But they're running the same coverage system, they're coaching the same techniques. The cornerbacks and safeties coach are the same two guys, So in theory, it shouldn't be all that different if they can continue to do it from a talent evaluation standpoint, And I feel like maybe that's where some of the confidence from Pellegrino come from, where it's like, well, we've had years like this before where guys start to go down and it's, you know, some random guy that comes along and we're able to sort of round him out and turn him into a decent player. So Marco Wilson's not a random guy. He's been in the League a little bit, but he's someone that definitely has stood out in terms of usage on the field, starting the game on Thursday night, playing with the ones a lot in Proud. Yeah, plays press pretty well on the outside, but it can also play a little bit off the line of scrimmage too and do some different things there. So I feel like he's probably pushing Alex Austin right now as the two guys ce befour CB five types. And then I still believe that Isaiah Bolden's going to be here, but that might just be to cover kicks in return kicks more than it is going to be primarily to play on defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, those guys will have their hands full tomorrow. We're expecting aj Brown, DeVante Smith. We all know the Phillies. Weapons that will you know, give us something new to look at, guys, just real quick, last thing, I mean anything tomorrow. You're just kind of curious about it. I mean, you know, Eagles have plenty of talent, and it's certainly I mean i'd start with their defensive line and house the Patriots offensive line.
Speaker 4: That's a good one. I like the way Evan said it, just to sort of see how they stack up. Against another scheme, you know, a different group of players that maybe isn't going to be sitting on every play action bootleg and seeing how it looks. But I think the offensive line is a good area to focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always where I start with these joint practices. Is your base plays are they working? Are you designing them properly in the way that can beid a defense to bite on a play action fake or misdirection or something like that. But the other one I would just look at is Christian Gonzalez because we've all said it and we've all talked about it a little bit. Were all kind of like tiptoeing around being like, has he had a bad summer as he not. I don't think he's had a bad summer, but he's definitely given up more catches in this camp than he did his rookie year. You mentioned those two receivers that are coming in now with the Eagles. He faced them in Week one last year, did a pretty good job, all things considered for a rookie in his first time out against AJ Brown. Hey, let's see what it looks like in practice tomorrow against Brown and DeVante Smith, Because if it's up and down again. Then I think I'm more on Paul's side of the street with the cornerbacks, where it's like, not so sure about this group. Now, if he's Gonzales like he was in his first month as a rookie, then the whole thing fits much better together.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Pictures on filter will be live during joint practice camp, so if you're unable to make it down here, which if you are, please do. But if you're not, tune in on Patriots dot com you can hear us speaking throughout the practice and then of course we'll come back in here and I believe it will be our last training camp cast, which is pretty crazy. Two games still to go, so plenty of more content coming your way. We're excited to see, though, tomorrow how the Patriots hold up and join practices against the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.
Speaker 4: M