Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Devin Simone and I'm Tory Deal and this is MTV's official Challenge podcast.
Speaker 2: And this was officially a good episode.
Speaker 1: It was a good episode, very good episode.
Speaker 3: It's so good. It just it just keeps getting better and better and better. And it never Devin last week when you were like toy, you know, I want I want you to stop like liking people and when you stop begging for friendships, I.
Speaker 4: Want you to ask to spice.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went up on that truck and I looked at Mika and her eyes and I said, I said, we're going at it.
Speaker 2: Today's snis yes girl, Yes you did.
Speaker 3: My god, this episode was stacked of so many things though.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It starts with Bananas coming over to the Blue team and we have this crazy challenge called Sideswiped where we're dangling from these huge semi trucks, and eventually it gets to a point where the Green Team.
Speaker 4: Thinks they're going to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Adams and I, because of Chris's incredible brain and plan, we sabotage Green team, giving a Red Team all the power, which leads to this insane deliberation that's probably the most heated debate we've seen the entire season. This crazy deliberation inevitably leads to Desi and Lewis getting voted in, which completely shifts the house because I don't think anybody was expecting to see their balls posted up.
Speaker 4: This is changing the game.
Speaker 3: It leads to Desi walking around campaigning to get Amanda thrown in, and now people feel like they are aware of Chris's plans to help us sabotage the Green team, and so now this whole thing turns into chaos. But Chris comes back in the game after getting balls in the hopper. Desi comes back in the game, and they are proof again that the survivors just keep on surviving. And now the Blue team is even stronger than before because they all come over to Blue. So it was a packed episode, hope, I hope you could follow what I just said.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a lot.
Speaker 1: You did a great job, by the way, so much in the fact there was a double elimination, right, so it's like there was no hiding behind Girls' Night or guys Night, like both of them had to go in unbelievable. Also, Amanda went home, you know, I feel like Amanda got like noticeably quieter each ep. She came out with the bang episode one, episode two, and then just got quieter, quieter, quieter, and then tiptoed off into the sunset in this particular episode. But to be fair, I wouldn't want to go against Desi in literally anything. I'd want to be on the side of Desi because Desie is amazing. And also it's crazy that Desie questions herself so much, because on the as an outsider, she just seems amazing, like there seems to be nothing she can't do, and she does it so beautifully elegantly. I mean, she killed it in USA season one, so it's why it's interesting getting to see that sort of vulnerable side of her. All right, let's get into the timeouts and the gold Stars of the week. All right, now, I am going to give my time out. I wonder if you can guess? Can you guess?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, I did not. Now. I like her as a competitor so far.
Speaker 1: I like that she seems fearless, but I do not like hair pulling, and in honor of Tamara.
Speaker 2: The Wig, we do not do that here.
Speaker 1: And when I saw her reach over, I'm like, this is not no, no, no, no, no, this.
Speaker 2: Is not that kind of game.
Speaker 1: And plus in what sport is that like even allowed, like in any real sport, right, even when you're fighting or punching, Like I don't know, I just feel like that's didn't like the hair pulling. So my timeout is gonna go to Mikayla.
Speaker 2: Use your shoulders, your elbows.
Speaker 1: Or your words, like my mom says, but in this instance, you shoulder, elbows, whatever else.
Speaker 2: But hair pulling not the way to go.
Speaker 1: Plus, if she pulled my ponytail, it would have just come off in her hand and she would have.
Speaker 2: Just I have extensions in That's why I freaked out.
Speaker 3: I'm like, if one of my like little beads comes out, then there's half my half, my weft, and yes, yet now I'm weckless, and then what's gonna happen to me?
Speaker 4: And I don't want to be wetless? So that's why I screamed, because I'm like.
Speaker 3: I don't have my hair dresser is so far away, right, we can we cannot do this right now?
Speaker 2: That is a real show. Can we please name this episode wefless?
Speaker 1: So that gets my timee out, Like gold Star goes to a trio of Chris you and Bananas, because that was epic to see the way you guys just spun everything around. Chris with the brilliant idea, Bananas and you with just the solid like game playing going at and go hard like and on the site while dangling all on the side of a moving vehicle.
Speaker 2: Wild, absolutely wild, but so deliciously good. What about you?
Speaker 3: God, I love I mean, listen, I have to give the gold star to Bananas. Yes, this plan was obviously orchestrated by Chris, and then we did it. But Bananas was taking hits from Monty and Manty was flying at him so hard. Like of course me and Mikayla were going at it, but like there's less of a size difference between us Bananas and Manti, Like there's a huge size discrepancy, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they were.
Speaker 3: So I got to give my gold star to Bananas. And not only that, the showmanship of accidentally throwing Oh.
Speaker 2: That was hilarious. Yeah, like come on, like I dropped them all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that was incredible. I loved that moment.
Speaker 3: And then I think, you know, I got to give my time out to uh, dude, I don't This is a tricky one because I really feel like everybody is pretty justified and how they responded to everything in this episode.
Speaker 4: I would say the only the only reason.
Speaker 3: Why I would give my time out to Wes is because he got conned into doing something.
Speaker 2: That oh he got played yeah you know, which isn't his fault.
Speaker 4: He's a victim.
Speaker 2: He trusted they played him well.
Speaker 1: They really did play him well, which like is both almost like a gold starter Green Team but almost the Red time out.
Speaker 2: Also because he's.
Speaker 1: Your teammates and he's like really trying to help you, and you guys just play the heck out of him, for sure. Yeah, I mean not you guys, but Dreen Team did someone that we are excited to have on who knows how to play the heck out of things, including this game, including whatever senior citizens' benefits come once you reach, you know, over the age of seventy. He probably knows how to play Bingo back in whatever the older games are also, but he's also just a joy and a delight. We are excited to have none other than Johnny Bananas here on a podcast. He is here, He's gonna be here telling you stories, telling inside and talking to you about what it feels like to be a rookie again for the first time in many, many years, because he's having to play a very different game this season. So you are not gonna want to miss this exclusive, amazing, insightful interview.
Speaker 4: I can't wait. I love this guy, you know how I him on the show.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be so good.
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, you know we're gonna keep him honest because you know, we gotta hold his feet to the fire. So grab a snack, do what you do, but don't actually go anywhere, because you're not gonna want to miss this next interview with Bananas coming up right after this. Alright, challenge fans, we have a very very very very special guest on the podcast. Someone some people know and love, some people love to hate. Dusty really loves him. He is an icon, a multi hyphen it, a champ, a big talker, and a dear friend. Please welcome the infamous Johnny Bananas What.
Speaker 6: You Left Out Trophy, deer hunter, expert Parallel Parker, North America's number one slow dancer, and a guy with the credit score of seven twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I can see you slow dancing. I've never seen anything that indicated you have good rhythm, Bananas.
Speaker 6: So I think you don't follow me on Instagram on Instagram then, because I literally just posted a video two days ago at the beach, slow dancing by myself.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we will have to look into this. We will have to talk about this.
Speaker 1: This is a really big episode for you, Banana, and we have so much to dive into. But for those who don't know, because I didn't realize Tory didn't know this story, and you're old enough, I don't know if you remember this story, but I wanted to give a little bit of our history of you and me and the challenge and sort of the role.
Speaker 2: That you played.
Speaker 5: Well, well, this is a kid, showed Devin. We can't get Okay, okayh whoa who?
Speaker 2: So many moons.
Speaker 1: Many moons ago, like sixteen years ago, I think, oh my gosh, so long.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sixteen years ago or so.
Speaker 1: I was in college and the guy I was dating at the time, shout out to David hired you and Kelly Ann to host a New Year's Eve party. And because he was my boyfriend, I was a supportive girlfriend. I was in charge, was sort of the liaison. So I had to pick you up from the airport, and I didn't really know who you guys were, but I had to like, basically, Babe, what a.
Speaker 6: Horrible task, Go pick me up from the airport. Sorry, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Great, and this is why.
Speaker 1: So I picked them up in my Purplevolkswagon Beetle with the Winnie the Pood steering wheel cover and and in a topper. And then we go to McDonald's, right because we were gonna get some food on the way to the club. And so I remember, we go to McDonald's and believe it or not, this is probably the miracle part of the story. The ice cream machine was working, and so I got like some chicken nuggets, I got an ice cream cone. Johnny sitting in the front seat. I'm driving us now, and this is in Tampa. I'm driving us to Ewer City, and I'm making it like a left turn, and I'm holding the ice cream cone in my right hand. And as I turn left and then the car straightens out, so we make the turn. I look over and realized there was a bite of my ice cream missing. And this fool beside me, who I just met an hour or two ago.
Speaker 2: Has just eaten a bite of my ice cream out of my hand, and I'm like this psycho, but I'm also amused, and.
Speaker 5: I didn't want it to fall off. I didn't want it to get your car, Devin.
Speaker 6: When we were going the centripical force of the urn burned the soft serve and I anytime I see something soft, I want to put in my mouth. So I know, comment, I.
Speaker 2: Literally no comment. And so I remember by the end of the night, and there's actually.
Speaker 1: Some photos on my Maybe when we put out this episode, I'll try and find them and post my Instagram stories, but there are some photos of that night, which is a blast. But I remember coming away just thinking Johnny was so charismatic actually a lot of fun. And I also kind of thought, if he and Kelly Ann can do it, as in be on this show, then I can do it. And I literally the next night went and bought a camera because laptops didn't come with him then and recorded an audition tape and I was on the next season of the Real World six months later that.
Speaker 2: You never would have thought to do it, And so there you go.
Speaker 5: Hey, you know what, I'm like a mused.
Speaker 6: All right, Okay, I hate giving him credit for it, and you forgot rewinded back a minute here, Devin. When we pulled up to that McDonald's, I was like, Devin, I will let you order any item off the dollar menu and I will pay.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that, and I'm sure you don't either. I do not remember that.
Speaker 5: Chivalry is not dead.
Speaker 2: If chivalry is not dead, it is for.
Speaker 6: All the Bananas detractors out there. All right, I was a gentleman and a scholar that afternoon.
Speaker 1: All Right, Banana's actually a gentleman when he wants to be. I will say this as much crap as we give him, and I will always give him crap because obviously his ego and his head are just large. But when it comes to it, he's actually very smart, great.
Speaker 2: To talk to.
Speaker 1: And I've called you on a couple occasions for things, including this season of the Challenge, which I called. You're the only one I called and told that I had been asked to do it and wanted to get your taken thoughts on it, and we talked through some things. So, yeah, Bananas is a solid I see, he's like a big brother with a cane or something.
Speaker 6: I listen, Okay, I do have a big head, all right, I will agree. I mean I have I wear a very big hat size. I've even been told in the past I look like a hammerhead shark the ego, however, I often get accused of that. But like I think, I'm a pretty down to earth around the dude, especially like what I've done over my the course of eighteen years, because trust me, nobody takes me less seriously than I take myself. And I think that a lot of people see me on TV and think that that's who I am in reality. But I cannot tell you the amount of times I've met people outside of the show and they're actually shocked because they were, like, dude, you are absolutely nothing like I expected.
Speaker 5: You to be.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 5: However, I do turn it up from time to time. All Right, I have to.
Speaker 6: If I'm you know, approached, someone comes out the sideways and that's a whole different story.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about the turn up that you had in last week's episode because the montage they make of you complaining that you were getting thrown into all and they put the Godfather music.
Speaker 4: Over you and it's just clastic. Yeah, production, does you dirty, dude? It's funny. The whole thing's funny.
Speaker 3: But they flash to people in different rooms of the house like they're clearly not listening, so they're getting expression.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: Wait, okay, it's from its last week's episode, and it's you complain because it was like it was when you got thrown. It, like when you found out that they were gonna be voting you to go in and then you were like, and Corey and FeSi sort of defected, so you were pissed at them yea for like you know, kind of cowering in your mind. And then you were like, you're gonna see da da da, And so you go on this long ass monologue and you're like passionately like you're gonna see and then, like Tori said, it cuts to these scenes in the house of like other people going by the wife and then they start playing this like Godfather Italian music behind it as you're doing this full bone monologue and you're like, why they're coming after me?
Speaker 2: It's just it's hilarious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, listen, here's here's the deal.
Speaker 6: And it's like I have I don't gripe about a lot, but I do have a legitimate gripe in this regard. Okay, I come on, to shows. I have no clue who people are, all right, I have never seen them before. I don't know what show they're from. Is that intelligal there on reality television?
Speaker 5: No, not really.
Speaker 6: I just don't watch a lot of reality to be so, I don't like keep up with what's going on, especially now it's like Big Brother, it's you know, El Ermano Grande. Like, I don't know, man, I don't watch a lot of these other reality shows. So they come on and they know who I am, and they want me gone day one.
Speaker 5: But it's like, I don't.
Speaker 6: I'm like, can I have like a day or two to just kind of, like I don't know, get my bearings and figure out what's going on in the house.
Speaker 5: I got a clock in day one, Dude.
Speaker 6: I show up to the to the to the to the challenge, and I have a different road, man. I granted, I'm a victim of my own circumstance success.
Speaker 1: Look, we've seen this more and more bananas for you, kind of increasingly as there's been, you know, this shift in bringing in newbies and rookies, right, Like, there's been a lot of rookies. But did you feel like in this particular season, especially that maybe you felt like the underdog for the first time in a long time, or you really felt hell yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yes, And I think the game was designed. It was set up like that. I mean, first of all, we are going onto a whole new network. We're going onto CBS, so in essence, we are going into like anime territory if you would, against a bunch of CBS reality titans who don't want us there. I mean, it was the same with us. We're on MTV, and then we started getting this infiltration of Big Brother and we started.
Speaker 5: Getting dude, are you the one? Why the fuck did we ever bring them on the Challenge?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: But once all these like other shows started coming on, We're like, yo, we gotta protect.
Speaker 5: This is our house, this is our domain, this is like our show. We gotta practice.
Speaker 6: So it's like, I understand why the CBS cast members felt the way they did. But then on top of that, it's like they brought us in the six of us MTV Challenge Legends. They brought us in separately than the CBS folks, so they had time to sit there to strategize, to create a line along.
Speaker 2: Was that delay, like how big of a different race?
Speaker 6: I mean, dude, probably four days, right, Tori, Like from the time we left to the time we you know, got to the hotel, to the time we got introduced in the game, and the way we got introduced, as if we didn't need a bigger target, R back, let's put them on jet skis, have them come in separately, like all you know, looking.
Speaker 2: West behind you. Yes, that was epic. By the way, that was so epic.
Speaker 6: Tried to launch them into the water, but it didn't work. And then the oh, as if that's not been a how about the first challenge we're gonna make. We're gonna carve statues out of marble of these six and you're gonna have to carry them up a mountain. So yeah, I get why we were the odd men out and why I was singled out more than everybody else.
Speaker 3: So and I think your your little montage was I mean, it needed to happen.
Speaker 4: We were all feeling it.
Speaker 3: I had just gone in the week before you knew the writing was on the wall. You and Amanda were up for nominations, and the whole house wanted a guy to go in the chances of you go, like it was just at that point we were like, we're walking into a game where our back is against the wall and it's going to be an uphill battle the entire time. And then obviously this is where this whole beef between you and Corey starts, which is what leads you into infiltrating or defecting. I'm sorry, and coming on the Blue team and picking Corey, which was so petty of you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm like Rob Kardashian, petty dude, you have no idea my pettiness Nos, no bounds. But what I mean here's and Tory, you were privy to these conversations. Yeah, we were having the same conversations prior to going into the game that CBS folks were, which is we got to stick together, all right.
Speaker 5: Corey was right there.
Speaker 6: Front and center for these conversations as well, and he's like, yeah, man, we gotta stay you know, challenge strong, we gotta stick together, blah blah. First opportunity that he gets to throw me under the bus, he does.
Speaker 5: So I wasn't.
Speaker 6: There for your guys' deliberation, although I heard it through the door.
Speaker 1: There seemed to be no privacy in that house, by the way, Like it seemed that you could literally hear any and everything.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was a cement box underground and it rained all the time. And I mean, yeah, so we were never outside. You really didn't have anywhere else to go except for our room, which was like the dungeon, which was kind of separate from the rest of the house. But once they caught me eavesdropping on the Blue Team deliberation, they then would shut down my room during deliberations. They'd had this big old security guard stand in the door, not even let me go in my own room.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right, you gotta not get caught.
Speaker 1: How did it feel coming back from that elimination, especially knowing everyone, not everyone, but that a lot of people wanted you in, a lot of the rookies wanted you in. And you go in, you fight, you kick ass, and you come back. How did that feel for you?
Speaker 6: It always feels good, especially because I mean, and again, while I didn't see an elimination, that was the first elimination I went into I think the third attempt that they had at or no, the fourth attempt of actually getting me into an elimination, because I mean, the first, the first time we went up, the first time we went to the sand the first time we you know, the we had a hopper vote. I had the most votes for guys, so this was almost like all right, it was a double limb. It was like, you know, there's no way out of this, so you're one percent going in. But it always feels good, listen. It felt good to go in to remind everybody why I'm there and what I'm capable of, yep, to show them that it's like this isn't this isn't Big Brother, this isn't Survivor. You can vote us in, but that does not mean we're going home. And I think that was the big miscalculation on the behalf of the CBS competitors is in Big Brother, when you vote someone out, they're gone. On Survivor, when you vote someone out, they're gone. On the Channel, Yeah, you vote someone in, but then they still have an opportunity to come back.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point.
Speaker 1: And we had PAULI on last week and he brought up this point, adding it to yours and I just want to hear if you think this all kind of correlates, but he he said he noticed. And I also want to talk about you guys's relationship. But he said, he noticed that, you know, with the challenge it's a game, especially since he had done both. Right, The challenge is a game and are made up of players where you have to say it with your chest, So if you say a name, if you have to do whatever, you have to double down, whereas these other games Big Brother and Survivor, you can be a snake. Honestly, you know, you can say one thing, do another and you don't necessarily have to like live by it. And so I think that coupled with what you just brought up and you're the first one to do so, which is great, which is like, yeah, just because you vote.
Speaker 2: Someone in does not mean cool.
Speaker 1: Done deal, Like you voted them in, you better hope they don't come back, but they can, and then they're they're gonna come back after you do. You feel like those two things are the key like differentiators between the way the CBS kids play and the way the challenges.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent, yea one hundred percent. But this the format of this game actually played into the hands and to the gamesmanship of the CBS competitors because of the secret vote right very rare in the challenge that you do a truly one hundred percent secret vote, and like you said, you have to say it with your chest. And I cannot tell you how many times I've been in a situation where it's right before deliberation, you have to deliberate as a house, you got to say it with your chest, And I've had my name tossed around. Oh yeah, bananas, everyone's gonna vote for you. It's really easy to come up with that idea in theory, But then when you're actually sitting there and you have to look at the person in the eyes that you're gonna say their name, a lot of a lot changes. So this game allowed there to be that secret, snaky, you know, element to it. However, what ended up happening is was really easy after a while to kind of like t have you votes and see where votes came from, and who voted for who and who didn't do what they said they were gonna do. But again, Tory going in and smashing her elimination, me then coming in and dominating my elimination, I really think put put the fear of God into a lot of people in the house, and they were like, all right, we now see that, yes we can vote them in, but there's a good shot. They're gonna come back, and when they do, Tory, we are going to absolutely, you know, ruin your plans. Dude, ruined your entire game plan because I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't think of how like the poetic justice that came with you coming onto the Blue team and then us being the last two people to compete in that daily challenge. Literally us throwing that was the most important move because it put us in Reds good graces. We were off the table because we threw them away, and then Green now had to squirm. They literally their energy all day. They knew they were winning, they felt like they were gonna win that whole thing, and then they just did not see it coming, and it was just poetic justice.
Speaker 6: The ultimate blind side. You very you see blindsides and eliminations all the time. It's very rare you see a blind side in a challenge, and that's essentially what we did because, like Tory said, we're counting up how many discs each team needs to get, and once we were like two like maybe two rounds from the end, we realized and you know, and Chris being the master strategistic he was, and I knew that that it needed to happen, but I was like, I don't think that this is actually going to work. And then once we kind of decided that's what we needed to do.
Speaker 5: I remember Tory.
Speaker 6: I remember me and Tory sitting there looking and I'm like, of course, this is gonna fall on our shoulders to literally just throw a challenge like and and make it totally blatantly obvious that we're gonna do it. But the best part was the Green team had already counted all the numbers. They knew that based on who was going on blue and who was going on Red, that they had a huge leg up and a huge advantage. So when so Tory Lily looked at me dead in the eyes before we went in, and she goes, this is our elimination because if we don't, if Green wins, it's us going back.
Speaker 5: Yet ye, So not only did Green go from thinking.
Speaker 6: That they had this challenge by the balls and were a deadlock to win it, they then ended up going into elimination themselves. So it was just such I mean, dude, it was just it was It was like a paradigm shift in the game to the point where even the executive producer all right, Kevin Lee was dumbfounded by this because even the EP didn't think about this. It's like, yeah, you can interfere with the other player, but no one up at this point had interfered to the point where it's like, I'm not even gonna try.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 6: I just when we started, when we started the limit and Monte didn't know.
Speaker 2: What was going.
Speaker 6: So I really woke up a sleeping dragon that day, all right, But dude, like TJ blows the horn and the semi truck starts moving and we're kind of sliding back and forth, and I could tell wherever he went. I was just tracking him because I just wanted to stay behind him because I my only objective was to not let him get to my wall. Yeah, and then as soon as they blew the horn, I just ripped off all of my discs and I just threw him on the ground.
Speaker 5: And I think that's when it dawned on him what was happening.
Speaker 6: And then it was about three minutes of straight punishment.
Speaker 1: You were like, uh, oh, oops, I lost all my disk like so so ridiculous. And Tori, when MICHAELA pulled your hair, what was yeah, both of you, what went through your mind in that moment, because that was wild.
Speaker 3: They did not and like Bananas and I were there and watching it back, I'm like, it was way more brutal than what you see they show it, being like you look like you're getting smashed, but you also look like you're holding.
Speaker 4: Your own like we look it looks good. But I remember being up there, it was a completely different experience.
Speaker 3: Like it got like we were was screaming at the top of my lungs. Wow, we were cursing at each other, Like it got very intense up there because the thing is is green. At that point, realized if we win this, we win the whole thing. And they weren't expecting us to literally only play defense, and that made them angry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't just about strategy anymore.
Speaker 3: It was now I'm pissed, and so we were getting the aggression and so I mean, listen, MICHAELA and I talked after the whole thing was over and we shook hands.
Speaker 4: We're like, we're cool. In the heat of the game, things are gonna get intense.
Speaker 3: It was not personal, but you know, you put four strong competitors out there, it's gonna be a brala.
Speaker 1: And especially if they felt like they're gonna be the ones to help bring the victory home for their team. They're like, yeah, and you know, the final piece, and then suddenly it's game. I feel like that's almost like a horror movie in a way, like your worst night.
Speaker 2: You're like, cool, this is great.
Speaker 1: And for you guys to just turn around with an evil smile and be like, Haha, actually, we're just here to take you out.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't be the first time. Wouldn't be the first time I've been a nightmare for people. Un challenge but no, but and going back to what Tori said, I mean it was it was vicious, dude, Like they don't show the length of this, but I think, what what did what did it last?
Speaker 5: Three minutes or something like that?
Speaker 6: The challenge when you were getting absolutely pummeled by a six foot four, two hundred and I don't know thirty pound man. I mean this Monty was I think a high jumper. So this guy's like got some spring in his steps. So once he realized what I was doing and I was gonna try and prevent him from coming onto my side, he wasn't even trying to place his discs anymore. All he was trying to do was launch his body as hard as he possibly could, I think, to just try and like you know, just or just yeah, pound me into submission, dude. So I just like literally eight shoulders for three minutes.
Speaker 1: Did you guys expect them to fight that hard, like fight back that heart like in getting so mad to come at you guys, or.
Speaker 6: See, this is the first time I'd seen Mikayla had shown some some some some spice up to this point, so I knew she had dinner. Monty is just such a just just calm, cool, collected, like just mellow individual.
Speaker 5: I hadn't seen this. I had not seen this. And he let that he let the dog out, dude.
Speaker 6: And it's funny because right after that too, when we got back to the riser and and I mean obviously we were so stoked about like how how the round had ended, that was when I mean he got fired the f up dude. So in a in a weird way, I think it was just great, not for just the episode, not for the show, but almost for like for I think a lot of the CBS talent comes on and they're so concerned about like being on CBS and their image and live cams and all this stuff that they're really afraid to like let their freak flag fly, which is what the challenge is all about. So I I think this was the first time that they really like pulled back the vail and really let that that competitive you know, fire out, and I think it was just it was great for the episode.
Speaker 5: It was great for the show. I think it's gonna be great for I mean, it made the trailer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Manty yelling about getting that money made the trailer and that wouldn't have happened had we not done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that and it just shook up.
Speaker 1: This was the first time that I didn't feel like I didn't feel sorry for you guys. Not that I felt sorry this whole time, but really, you guys, I was telling Toy in previous episodes. It's it's a love hate watch as a viewer because on one hand, I'm loving it because I've We've seen so many things this season already and we're only four episodes in that.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen it alone.
Speaker 1: We're seeing the game change up in a way that people have wanted. People have kind of needed a refresh a little bit and a long and it never happens because the Vets always kind of just glide in, doesn't matter if there's fifty rookies or two, Like, the Vets kind of dominate the whole way through, and this season that's not the case. And so as a Vet, you know that's family and and you want them to win. But at the same time you're kind of like, ooh, I respect this game that these movies are playing. So it's really been like a love hate kind of watch. But today was the first time that you guys didn't look like the little puppy dogs and you look like I mean, even Wes says a line in his interview, which is so great. After you Bananas Andry pull off this move, he was like, you know what, I can't even be mad. I'm impressed. I Like, he's like, I invented that move a decade ago. But that is some good gameplay, Like leave.
Speaker 6: It to Wesh, leave it to Wash to once again take credit for something he was not even a part of. I've never seen anyone I've met. Literally, I've never seen it. He does this like Neamiyah for example, right We'll be on a season he's not having on and Neiamiah will pull off some move and Wes will be like, yeah, I'm really proud of what everything else taught him. I'm like, Wes, you're having on this scene. Let the guy like have his like anyone who was the other one? He called him his mentee? I forgot, but yeah, leave it to West credit for Devin. Yes, yes, every time Devin would do something, Wes would be sitting at home on the couch taking credit for it.
Speaker 5: It's like nothing to do with this.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, we need to take a quick break, so don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 1: Speaking of mentor mentee, So you had a real life fan or love affair. It's a different kind of love affair than we're used to seeing from you in the Challenge House. Can you tell us a little bit about the beginnings of your relationship with Dusty and how that came to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Dusty.
Speaker 6: Dusty is the only one before this season who actually reached out to me. I didn't know who he was, you know, obviously, after he reached out to me multiple times, I then kind of took a look at his profile realized, like, you know, he was on the Amazing Race and basically was like, you know, kind of just putting the fuelers out there and seeing if, if if we could work together. Didn't know much about him. I'm always very hesitant to you know, talk game or strategize or make create alliances, especially with somebody I don't know before the game even starts. But we just kind of exchanged pleasantries like, hey.
Speaker 5: Man, what's up.
Speaker 6: You know, see on the you know, on the field, and then we just ended up falling on the same team together, and then we ended up rooming together and yeah, it's just you know, just took off from there. Yeah, the old, the old, the old trauma bond. That's just that's just I mean, the only thing that really was interfering in my relationship and my love affair with Dusty is the fact that PAULI, for some reason decided to get to bed right next to me in the bedroom.
Speaker 5: Was awkward, to say the least.
Speaker 1: Was such a beautiful moment with you and Pollie too. Let's because we had him on last week and.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful seeing the elimination or just like the way you guys you hugged him and you said good job, and that seemed to really mean a lot to him. What were your thoughts or expectations coming into the season around Paully and did they change or how did they evolve, you know, towards Polly's exit.
Speaker 6: Yes, I expected Paulie to come on this season full tilt, all right. I expected him to come on and just do everything he could to be the most over the top, loud, obnoxious version of himself. The guy hasn't been on in a while. This is almost like, you know, his second audition.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 6: And other than his wardrobe options that he chose in the beginning, he actually wasn't that loud, nah man, He couldn't have been like like a more just like chill. It's like I was almost I was shocked almost at how like kind of laid back he was coming into the game. And again, uh, we listen at this point in my career, at this point in the game, this point in my life, Like life is just too short to be carrying hate in your heart.
Speaker 5: So it's like I have no ill will.
Speaker 6: It's like I've got enough problems going on the challenge every season with people coming at me. It's like the more of these, you know, rivalries that I could attempt to neutralize, like going into easier, it's gonna make my game.
Speaker 5: I learned.
Speaker 6: I learned a very I learned a very hard way back in the day, coming up through the challenge taking my bumps, that it's never good to show up day one and draw lines in the sand. Yeah, it's almost better to be three and kind of not let people know where you're coming from. And that was kind of the approach that I took here, and I was like, we'll just see where it goes.
Speaker 5: It's the same approach I took with.
Speaker 6: Devin, you know on Rider Dies, where it's like, dude, I'd I'd rather have people pissing out of my tent and into it. So I think the fact that listen, I don't think that Paulie picking the bed right next to me in our room was was any sort of a coincidence. And uh yeah, because I'd wake up sometimes the middle of the night and he would just be on his side just staring at me.
Speaker 5: Yep, I had to sleep on my back.
Speaker 6: Uh now, I'm just kidding, but no, but but we uh but no, it was it was that's and that's the thing a lot of times when you go into elimination. You want to go into elimination that you're fired up against somebody to go in against. And at that point, like where him and I I was like, dude, I don't even I don't even hate you anymore, man, Like I kind of respect you in this game. I kind of respect where you come from. And now I'm not gonna lie. There are so many I've almost put him in the category since he he really has like put his work in, paid his dues, been in the game for a long time. Yeah, I almost put him in the category as kind of like more of one of the vets, is one of the newbies, and it's like, dude, there are so many just unpalatable, you know, rookies that are coming into the game these days, as Kareem Abdul Jabbar called them, a throbbing scrum of fame seeking death sperados that that I look at him almost as like kind of like the old guard dude, and I'm like, we kind of gotta hold it down, man, we gotta you know, we gotta represent and we did, and yeah, it was kind of a bummer seen him go.
Speaker 5: However, had I lost the polly yo, Yeah, Yeah, it's early on.
Speaker 6: In the game, you guys would probably not see him on the podcast.
Speaker 5: You'd see my face on a milk carton.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, shut up.
Speaker 3: You know what I think was really sweet though, Like after you guys, after your elimination, you guys hug it out and he starts to like tear up and cry in his interview, and he's like, you know, all I ever wanted was for Bananas to respect me as a competitor, and like, it really is so beautiful to see, obviously from somebody who's witnessed you guys going back and forth for years, Like people do have the opportunity to come on the challenge, put their differences aside, spend some time growing, and the whole thing can heal. So I just think, yeah, watching you and obviously we needed you to come back in the game like I could not. I didn't playing that game without you like that would have been tragic. So unfortunately Paully had to had to go home. But it was nice to see it on that on that note.
Speaker 6: And I think the other thing that rubbed me the wrong way about him, and again I think this was the same issue I had with Devin. This is the same issue I've had with other you know, players and even relationships I've been in is it's like, I feel like a lot of times new players will come into the game, they seem instead of doing the legwork, instead of establishing their own lane, instead of creating their own story and their own character. It's like, what's the how do I shortcut the system and get a guaranteed?
Speaker 5: It's like go after bananas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, get into a show mance with bananas, and it's like for the longest time, well, no, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, but they want the show man's part. It takes to do whatever you be doing.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying, Devin, is that there is an element of this is going this will give me clout by being in a showmance or a.
Speaker 1: Show a charmed I was with you, I was with you on the rivalry thing. But you are also a charmer. I've seen you work your magic on folks. So don't get like I wouldn't say that. That's always not saying never, but you.
Speaker 5: Know it happened.
Speaker 6: I'm saying it happens more often than not. And what I'm saying is a lot of times I question the motives of certain individuals. Yes, when I am in some sort of doesn't matter rivalry, relationship, whatever, because it's like what are your what are you through intentions here? And with Paulie in the beginning, that's what I felt like it was. I felt like he came on on what was it, final reckoning and knew that by going after me and by starting this thing with me, it was going to turn into this you know you know sy same with Devon, it's going to turn into this rivalry which is going to then create a storyline. And I feel like he came in this season. I felt like Devin came in right or Dies. We haven't on the same season a while, and I feel like they really had established their own presence, their own lane, their own persona, and dude, I'm like, you know, more power to be.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like both of them have been doing the growth work. But before we move further into growth, let's go back into non growth. But pettiness, you mentioned that there are some unfavorable scrum fame seeking rookies. Can you give us just three who are three of the.
Speaker 2: Rookies that you find to be the least tolerable.
Speaker 1: On this season or even we'll give you the last two seasons that you've been on.
Speaker 6: I mean, listen, this season, I feel like is different because these aren't necessarily again we are going on to I don't consider anyone on The Challenge USA or this seasons as rookies because they have all already established their presence, made a.
Speaker 2: Name, right, but they're challenged rookies on CBS.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but in a way, we the rookies.
Speaker 6: I felt for the first time ever, and we had talked about this before, I felt like the rookie going I'm like, oh, so, this is what it feels like to be a rookie on The Challenge where you've got all these vets in this alliance and they are able to all band together, work together and just continue sending you into you go home. So for the first time ever, I was like this, I'm completely out of the loop. I had no clue what was going on in this house dude, or who was talking what, And the little bit of information I would get, I'm like, do I believe this? Because it was coming from Paulie, it was coming from Josh, it was coming from Chris, and I'm just like, I'm not in the loop. I'm not in the No, I have no idea what's going Our team was like, dude, the Bad News Bears. So I was like, we're not getting any info. I felt like my own team was working. We're nominating our own teammates to go in. So I was a total fish out of water this season.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, you know, that was a long way to not answer the question, bananas.
Speaker 2: That was a long ass political answer.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, how about this take take a dark close your eyes, and just throw it at the cash three times and there you go.
Speaker 4: I can't deal, dude.
Speaker 6: It's like pin the tail on the thirst bucket.
Speaker 5: That's uh, that's like a new challenge game, you should say.
Speaker 3: I feel like I feel like I want to answer this for you only because I was there, Yes to her, I know how much, and I know how.
Speaker 4: Much he didn't vibe with Alyssa Lopez.
Speaker 1: I feel like, is that why she keeps coming for you in interviews? Because she really is coming for you? And I don't know if it was like just banter, because like I make fun of you all the time, but like geez, okay, all right, I yeah, I.
Speaker 6: No clue what, I have no clue where I mean We're like, we must be like star Cross lovers or something. I have no idea where that went sideways, because, like I said, I didn't say I don't think two words to this girl the entire time we were in the house. The funny part, though, is when I defected to the Blue team, part part of the reason was to neutralize that. I'm like one of the big reasons I went to Blues because I'm like, this is a strong team and go to keep coming. For me, the best way to create chaos is from within. And her as kind of like the uh you know, the fearless leader of the.
Speaker 5: Blue Team, pulls me aside day one.
Speaker 6: She goes, we need to have a talk and I'm like, all right, I'm thinking this is gonna be like a hey, welcome to the team, Like I just want to like player it ever decide. It was like, here's the things I hate about you. I'm like, okay, really, he goes, here's why I.
Speaker 5: Don't like you. Your jokes aren't funny. Uh, she said. What was the other thing? I think? She said?
Speaker 6: I was too loud, which is I've never been called too loud my entire life. And then the third thing was she said, you shushed Michelle on the capsize challenge and I was like.
Speaker 5: What, Like, this is it?
Speaker 6: She said, the only funny joke I told the entire season toy was in your elimination when the balls were coming down, and I said, there's a rainbow ball.
Speaker 5: Grab that one. That was it. That was the only funny joke.
Speaker 1: Wait, but she pulled you aside to tell you you're kidding. There's no way you're dead serious.
Speaker 5: I you not.
Speaker 6: It was the only It was literally the first and only chat I think we had the entire season was that it was her pulling me aside and tell me all the reason she hated me.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but you know what's funny about bananas is you know when somebody gives him and approaches him in that way, then he's gonna use that as.
Speaker 4: The joke later on.
Speaker 3: So the entire time we would be in team meetings, but oh I'm being too loud or like a funny.
Speaker 5: Or I would just shush her for no reason.
Speaker 2: She starts talking, hilarious, that's hilarious. Oh that's so funny, that's so weird.
Speaker 6: I listen, in all honesty, I and I know this about myself.
Speaker 5: Okay, This is why I have.
Speaker 6: Fans and I have the tractors. Even though I think I'm the most lovable person.
Speaker 4: On her I think so too.
Speaker 5: People listen.
Speaker 6: I I know that I give off a certain amount of like energy, and I feel like energy is either it either attracts or it's repelled. And that's the thing is, I feel like certain people I vibe with and certain people I don't. Certain people I meet and they love me. Certain people I me and they can't stand me. And I'm just you know, I just understand that's how I am. And you know, she was I think just one of those people that early on just didn't like my vibe. But also I think she was one of the CBS you know, she was one of the loudest voices from the CBS side that was looking at the MTV folks, yes, as invaders, and they wanted us out. And I think she saw me as the head of the snake. I wasn't on her team, you know, Corey was on her team, so obviously couldn't go after you know, if she couldn't go out.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you guys saw USA one, but she so Angelo was sort of the ring leader one of the ring leaders on USA one Challenge USA one, right but right behind her, and some might even argue that kind of not the silent leader, but the one making certain moves.
Speaker 2: Was Alyssa Lopez.
Speaker 1: And it was really kind of a shock USA one because you know, from a size perspective, she doesn't necessarily have like the biggest stature, seeing the most intimidating all of that.
Speaker 2: But she, you know, a lot of.
Speaker 1: People in the house started disliking her on the show, at least as a viewer, it seemed, because they felt like she started walking around like she ran things. So it's interesting because I wonder if she brought that same energy here thinking oh, now I've done it once before, I ran it then or helped run it.
Speaker 2: Then I'm a run it now.
Speaker 1: And then she sees you, who very much is a challenge leader. You put in the history, you know, your number speak for itself, and so automatically she doesn't like you because there can't be two kings in the you know, on the throne. And she saw herself as a king and also thought you were too loud. I mean, those those two things.
Speaker 5: And she's not wrong, all right, She's not wrong on either account.
Speaker 6: Okay, But like I said, I mean listen for for what she lacks maybe in stature, the girl more than makes up for in like her ability to you. I mean, she had a lot of She was running the show, okay, and she was playing the game. And I didn't realize until later on just how much persuasion and how much power she wielded. Again, because I just saw the CBS, you know, Big Brothers survived. I just saw them as one monolithic group that was all working together against us. I didn't realize that there were all these little you know, factions and and and within this group. I think they all were on the same page in the beginning, Uh, Survivor and Big brother let's put our differences aside. We have one common enemy. But then I feel like once they realized that we were, you know, they were We're like the immovable object, then they kind of had to start turning on each other. And that's when it kind of got revealed of you know, who was. But she was for a long time, I think she was the she was She was running the show over there.
Speaker 3: And I feel like she was you know, obviously you defect over to Blue and now DESI defects over to Blue, and it's.
Speaker 4: Like the game is shifting. We're seeing a shift.
Speaker 3: She was the only person that was outspoken on the Blue team about us potentially throwing the challenge.
Speaker 4: It didn't go the way she wanted.
Speaker 3: And now we see ourselves in another position where the game shifted even more and Desi's working with us now. Of course Desi and Alyssa are working together, but our team just got stronger.
Speaker 5: Wow, and way stronger.
Speaker 3: And no shout out to Alyssa s she's the sweetest girl in the world, but like Desi's a beast.
Speaker 2: Oh you know which.
Speaker 1: By the Desi thing is interesting too because in this episode we see Desi doubt herself a lot, which is crazy because of the guest we've had on this far and after watching USA season one, there's nothing to doubt about Desi. And also, Toy, you now have a co captain in the manages to have beautiful hair in every scene challenge because Desi is also that girl and so hearing her doubt herself so much, and then even she does her elimination and she's like, I mean to prove to myself, which I think we all can identify with the moments of not feeling good enough, but she also says, I need to prove to everyone in the house, and I'm thinking, girl, you ain't got to prove any No, people don't want to go against you.
Speaker 2: Like you.
Speaker 1: Everyone wants to go against Amando, which is just funny, but people don't want to go against you, DESI.
Speaker 2: So it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Did you guys get us sense of that while there, that she was really doubting herself at all?
Speaker 5: No, not really, dude.
Speaker 6: That girl walks around with more confidence than I think anyone I've ever. I mean, it's like just she just exudes like like comp and that's what I'm saying. Like I was under the impression, especially in the beginning. I was like, she must be the one that's like running the show, and I.
Speaker 5: Think to an extent she was.
Speaker 6: But at the same time, yeah, I mean, I mean she's a specimen when it comes just from you know, from you know, just a physical presence and again just the way she kind of moved throughout the house and she didn't say she's almost like, you know, talks talk quiet, but carries a big stick kind of situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 6: She was kind of one that I was like all right, I'm gonna you know, yeah, like until she joined our squad, then it was like, all right, now we're basically just the Avengers.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh I do love the Avengers, all right? So who should we keep before we go bananas? Who should we keep an eye out for? Don't give away any spoilers.
Speaker 2: Toys and tories for trying to give spoilers. But who should we keep on as viewers just keep our eye on in upcoming episodes?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think that the the Survivor contingency and them just as again, as a group. I feel like coming into the challenge, you've got this challenge strong, which didn't last very long, big brother sticking together, Survivor Strong that he had the poor you know, amazing racers. But I just think basically as a group, Survivor manages to pull off and there their whole, the whole Survivor's strong idea is is pretty impressive.
Speaker 5: But I would say, I mean, dude, just just just keep.
Speaker 6: An eye out for for the survivors man because they are they're They're the real.
Speaker 5: Deal, for sure, they really are. And Tyler, just because.
Speaker 6: You know, first time I ever felt this way about about it, man, maybe this is just me talking about myself, but he's someone i'd keep an eye out for, mainly because I.
Speaker 2: The entire season, so dude, Tyler.
Speaker 4: Tyler was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like this season is going to get spicier and better, Like it's just an uphill battle for for y'all.
Speaker 4: Hopefully new people.
Speaker 3: Hopefully new people, but obviously you know, we're going to have to figure out how to get through it.
Speaker 4: And I think that the teaser for next week about.
Speaker 3: Organized chaos and maybe teasing a little bit of our Operation Hat trick, that's going to come up, and that's going to be hm epic. So I'm excited for people to see that. But Bananas, thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Coming on the podcast.
Speaker 6: Nice, thanks for having me, Thanks for having me. Guys, it's always great chopping it up. You know, it's always great getting you know it, complimented, slash insulted by Devin everything. Devin can't be nice to me without having to like balance it out by throwing a little nagan there.
Speaker 1: I just keep it real, which is why you love me, because you know you can trust that I will always keep it.
Speaker 6: And I respect that. You know, what they say they were like, listen, your friend. A true friend is somebody that will tell you the truth without worrying about hurting your feelings.
Speaker 2: Yep, and that's what you want.
Speaker 6: Or who will let you bite your soft serve ice cream cone without giving you shit.
Speaker 1: At that point, you knew we were friends before I knew we were friends. For those who are looking to become Banana friends, maybe send a love letter like Dusty did. Shout out to Dusty. Where can they find you on social media?
Speaker 6: On social media, you can find me on instant Graham and Twitter at Johnny Bananas. Uh, you can't find me on TikTok because I'm seventeen year old with forty followers, doesn't posted in seven months has my name and that's ridiculous. And then snapchat your boy Bananas. Uh, you could if you want some fabulous Johnny Banana's merch swag whatever real Johnny Bannas dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for joining us. Seriously, Bananas.
Speaker 1: We do love and adore you, and it was so fun watching you in this game. So glad I didn't joy I get to watch on this side and I didn't end up going.
Speaker 2: I get to watch you guys be the.
Speaker 1: Underdogs, But thank you for just being a legend in this game and for making time to.
Speaker 2: Chat with us.
Speaker 6: Dude, thanks for having me, love you too, and uh yeah, I can't wait to continue to make more magic in the future.
Speaker 5: Ladies.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, love you, Nana Man, thank you buy bye.
Speaker 3: Well well, well, if it isn't Johnny ice Cream, I feel like hearing that story, that.
Speaker 4: Has to be his new name.
Speaker 3: I loved that we got to hear yes, and I loved the history and like, how cool is that that you're here Because of.
Speaker 1: Those things, his germs led to me being on this podcast with you, Tory, it did.
Speaker 2: It's such a special thing.
Speaker 3: I just want to I'm just gonna go up to a McDonald's and I'm just gonna thank them so much because what an awesome thing to have let us hear.
Speaker 5: Devin.
Speaker 3: Where can we follow you to learn more about your backstory and anything you want to share with the world.
Speaker 1: You guys can always follow me by just going to my website actually is the easiest devinsimone dot com Devin with the y smoth and I. You can also go to my Instagram that's Devin with y smoth and I, uh and TikTok Twitter sometimes. Oh, and make sure you go and follow my Amazon Live channel.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 1: We do some fun stuff over there, and let me know that you are Challenge official Challenge podcast listener. When we do go live in the chat and we'll shout you out and interact. It's a lot of fun and we.
Speaker 2: Usually do them weekly.
Speaker 1: So if you follow my Amazon channel, if you just go to Google Devin Simone and Amazon, it'll come up.
Speaker 2: But you can also access it for my website. So check it out. Now, where can they keep up with you? Miss toy Deal?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Devin, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You guys can follow me at Tory Underscore Deal on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Click the little link of my bio.
Speaker 3: It takes you to a bunch of different places and a bunch of different things I work on. But let's just get you to the Instagram first, because I mean, social media.
Speaker 4: Social media is overwhelming, you know, it really is. It's good to take a social media break.
Speaker 3: So I hope that when you listen to these episodes, you're getting your steps in. And while you're doing that, if you feel called to rate and review us on Spotify or Apple Podcasts, please do it because it would seriously mean the world to us, And don't forget to tell your friends.
Speaker 1: Too, absolutely, And then after you do that, make sure you catch new episodes of The Challenge USA airing on CBS.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we'll see you back here next week for a brand new episode of MTV's official Challenge podcast
Speaker 2: I really want some ice cream.