Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're thanking the weather gods for clearing the skies and ending the rain just in time for Mountjoy to play three straight perfect cloud free.
Speaker 2: Nights in Denver.
Speaker 1: It's Monday, August seventeenth, and on today's show, weightlifting Olympic champion Olivia Reeves joins the show. We talk about how her CrossFit parents got her into the sport, the difference between powerlifting, bodybuilding and weightlifting, when she knew she had talent, the obstacles she faced en route to Olympic glory, and what her plans are for LA twenty twenty eight and beyond. Plus crowns all around, an iconic wind streak is no more, and a reminder to always find your seat in time for kickoff. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today. Lots of championships and major competitions over the weekends, starting with lacrosse. The Maryland Charm won the twenty twenty six Women's Lcross League Championship on Saturday, beating the California Palms sixteen thirteen. The Charms Sydney Black got MVP honors. The former Loyalist standout had four goals and an assist in the game, held at Subru Park just outside of Philadelphia. The Charms Alex Holman also had an outstanding game. After registering zero goals during the regular season, she managed to pull out a hat trick in the title game. Clutch to Flag Football Canada women's national team won the Flag Football World Championships in Duseldorf, Germany, on Sunday, beating Team USA twenty seven to twenty in the finals. The US, who were the reigning champs, looked like they were gaining momentum in the final few minutes of the game, but they ran out of time and couldn't catch up to Canada's lead. With the win, Canada gets the first earned spot in the sport at LA twenty twenty eight. The US has already qualified as hosts of the games, the final Olympic.
Speaker 2: Spot handed out at the tournament. Germany made it a North American sweep.
Speaker 1: Mexico bested Great Britain twenty nineteen to punch their ticket to LA as well. The final three national teams to qualify will be determined in June of twenty twenty eight, just about one month before the Olympic tournament begins, to the pool, where a few results caught our attention at the Pan Pacific Championships in Irvine, California. First, of all, guys, this is crazy TMUSA Olympic champion Kate Douglas broke the fifty meter freestyle world record not once, but twice on Saturday.
Speaker 2: First, she won her prelim.
Speaker 1: Heat and twenty three point forty nine seconds world record. Then mere hours later she swam even faster twenty three point nineteen to win the finals. We'll see how long this record stands. Last time Douglas broke the fifty free record in June, fellow US star Gretchen Walsh beat it again just nine days later. Always good to have competition to keep your pushing your limits. By the way, the fifty free isn't the only event in which Douglas made history. The five time Olympic medalist was also on the mixed four by one hundred meter medley relay that set a new world record on Wednesday. More swimming eight hundred meter freestyle legend Katie Ldecki stunned the crowd over the weekend by for the first time in an international meet, losing her signature event all thanks to Lonnie Pallister of Australia, who touched over a second ahead of her. Pallister was underworld record pace for much of the eight hundred meter freestyle race, eventually fading slightly but still getting to the wall in eight minutes and six seconds, besting Ladeki's Pan Pacific Championships record from twenty eighteen. Now this is the same Aussie swimmer who finished just a couple seconds behind Ladeki in the fifteen hundred last week. That was Ladeki's smallest margin of victory in the event at an international competition since twenty thirteen. So Lonnie Pallister is definitely walking away from the biggest swim meet of the year, having made her name known ahead of the twenty twenty eight Games. To soccer, Cameroon won the Women's Africa Cup of Nations on Sunday, defeating Malawi three nil. It marks Cameron's first ever WAFT Coon title after the team previously made the final of the tournament three times. Cameroon's Monique Nagaka was named Player of the tournament, and you're about to see a lot more of her last month, The Washington's Beard announced that the team had signed the twenty one year old, and now that Lafcon is over, she's headed to d C to make HERSL debut.
Speaker 2: More Soccer.
Speaker 1: If you weren't in your seat at Sports Illustrated Stadium in time, you might have missed the first goal of Current Gotham FC on Friday Kansas City Ford. Amelia White made quick work of things, scoring for the Current just twenty two seconds into the game. Thanks to an assist from Kroy Bethune, White was able to get the ball past Gotham goalie and Katrin Berger and into the back of the net, tying the NWSL record for fastest goal in league history. It ended up being the only goal the Current could muster, though, as goals from Midge Purs and Sam Kerr gave got them a two to one comeback win. With her tally, Kerr became the first player in NWSL history to reach eighty regular season goals, and her thirty one regular season goals for Gotham FC set a new club record. Now, twenty eight of those tallies came when the team was still sky Blue. The Australian striker has added three goals since rejoining the club in the middle of this season two hoops where the Minnesota Links beat the Las Vegas Aces ninety two eighty seven on Saturday, marking their second win.
Speaker 2: In a week over the reigning league champions.
Speaker 1: The Links via Miles had twenty three to lead them, while the FISA Collier added nineteen asstar Asia Wilson had thirty two points in her team's losing effort, which dropped the Aces to third place in the league's standings. Golden State Balkyries sit in second, and the Links remain in first. The Aces did clinch a playoff spot on Thursday when they beat the Washington Mystics, though marking their eighth straight postseason birth. The Links are the only other team to secure their spot in the playoffs at this time. More w last week, New York Liberty head coach Chris de Marco announced that Satu Sabli will be taking time away from the team as she continues to deal with the lingering effects of a concussion. Sabli hasn't played since suffering the head injury against the Aces on June twenty third. It was her second concussion in the past year. She's been available to play in just thirteen games for the Liberty this season since joining the team in the off season. No word yet on an estimated return or on her availability for her German national team in next month's FEBA World Cup. More w and a celebration fit for a legend, go check out the Phoenix Mercury Socials for all the coverage of the jersey retis retirement for the legendary Diana Tarassi. In the days leading up to her Ring of Honor ceremony, the team unveiled a street named after her, a really spectacular interactive mural, a sit down interview with her former teammate, now wife and fellow Ring of Honor legend Penny Taylor, and so much more So cool to see DT get her flowers. We'll link to the Mercury account in the show notes. There's just one W game on the schedule tonight. The Dallas Wings play the Golden State Valkyries at ten pm. Eastern Wings are coming off a loss to the Indiana Fever on Friday. That's a former number one picks Caitlin Clark and Paige Becker's dueling.
Speaker 2: Twenty nine apiece.
Speaker 1: At one point they traded buckets for thirteen straight points.
Speaker 2: Hope you caught some of that one.
Speaker 1: Meantime, The Fever followed up that Friday win with a ninety five ninety one OT victory over the Atlanta Dream on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Despite thirty two.
Speaker 1: Points from Malley Shagray and the loss, Kelsey Mitchell likely happy about that extra session, she managed to get to twenty points in OT and extend her WNBA record to nineteen straight games with twenty or more points. To Tennis, Williams continues her comeback tour today, teaming up with sister Venus to play doubles at the Cincinnati Open.
Speaker 2: Venus is coming off a loss.
Speaker 1: On Friday, falling in straight sets in the first round of the Open singles tournament to Emilian Orongo. The older William's sister had received a wildcard entry to the singles event. She hasn't won a singles match since July of last year. Today, the sisters will play a doubles team made up of US pro Peyton Stearns and Ukrainian Marta Costuk, who recently made headlines for winning her first WTA one thousand title at the Madrid Open back in May.
Speaker 2: You can watch on the Tennis.
Speaker 1: Channel or the Tennis Channel app finally to baseball, where Kelsey Whitmore is on a hell of a run with her San Francisco fire Bells. On Wednesday, the friend of the show recorded the first three home run game in WPBL history to beat the Los Angeles Queens eight to two. Then on Friday, Whitmore had two more homers, then on Saturday another one, putting Whitmore in a tie for most home runs this season with New York's Dene Benitas Danita Benita, who coincidentally Whitmore and her San Francisco squad will face for their next game on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: By the way, shouts to slice.
Speaker 1: Marguerite Maganaute, who wrote that she also calls her Danita Benita. So I am not alone, she said when she was listening to the episode from opening Days. She said it in her head right before I said it, and she laughed to herself and has since been so confused that she had to look up what her real name is. So thank you, Marguerite, Danita Benita. Forever we got to take a break. When we come back, we head to the gym with Olivia Reeves joining us. Now she's an Olympic gold medalist in Team USA weightlifter at the twenty twenty four Paris Game. She became the first American weightlifter to win Olympic gold in twenty four years and the youngest American Olympic gold medalist in weightlifting in sixty eight years. Oh and she also set an Olympic record along the way. She also won the World Weightlifting Championships later that year, becoming the first US lifter in sixty six years to hold.
Speaker 2: Both the world title and an Olympic gold in the same year.
Speaker 1: And then she repeated as World weightlifting champ in twenty twenty five as well. She'll try to make it a three peet this fall. A Chattanooga, Tennessee native, she got her degree in sociology and is now a graduate student in the UT Chattanooga Master of Public Health program studying chronic disease prevention and control. She's a pity mom to miss Amber, and she's ice skated at Rockefeller Center and fed gushers to a raccoon.
Speaker 2: It's Olivia Reeves.
Speaker 3: Hi, Olivia, my goodness, you did your research.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Mostly jealous of the raccoon that got the gushers. What country were you in for that that looked like you were in a foreign country.
Speaker 3: I was in Panama. They were pretty scary looking, very skinny for raccoons, the skinniest skinniest I've seen, and.
Speaker 2: Not fuzzy, not fuzzy. They weren't furrey.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure what raccoons are getting into, but yeah, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge raccoon fan, and I would like to make one a pet, even though all best judgment advises me against that. So very jealous of that. I want to get back to when you were a kid and go all the way back to when you first started lifting, got you into it.
Speaker 3: My parents owned a CrossFit gym from twenty twelve to twenty nineteen, and I started Olympic weightlifting specifically in twenty fifteen. My coach, who is still my coach, would come in and do like USAW level ones, do seminars for crossfitters who wanted to do strength training, and through that, as long as I've had all my homework done and I packed an extra snack, my mom was like, Okay, you can participate, and then she was like, actually you could do this. You could train at Steve's gym and just make this your sport if you didn't want to do CrossFit or kind of you know, just to add something else if you wanted to. After I went to my first USA Weightlifting Nationals and a training camp at the OTC, I decided that this was my sport. Not that I found that I was super good at it yet, but just this is something I wanted to do and that I enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Those years sound very recent, but it's just that you're very young. You're only twenty three, so they're not that recent in the timeline of your life.
Speaker 2: You actually were in fourth grade when you.
Speaker 1: Started lifting at your parents gym. Did you play other sports? Did you like other sports?
Speaker 3: I did my fair share of soccer, track, cross country, basketball, ballet, horseback riding. Like I tried quite a bit. I realized later, because I was still friends with people from elementary school that, like I thought it was okay at the sport or at basketball, but then I realized that they were just trying to give everybody a chance with the ball. Actually, it's not that that was anything to speak of with my knee high socks. But I enjoyed it, and I found team sports fun and my parents definitely wished I did more team sports. Like at that age, the deal kind of was like you're in school and you have to have an extra curricular, whether that's you know, band or theater or a sport. You had to had something else to learn to balance, and it just so happened for me and my sisters to be sports.
Speaker 1: So I have a lot of friends that do CrossFit, and I feel like the range of gyms can go from people who really know what they're doing, which I imagine the case where your parents Jim had actual coaches and trainers that are experts in weightlifting, and then they're the ones where they don't tell people like, hey, your niece shouldn't be pasture toes when you're squatting and things like that. So it's awesome and validating for the CrossFit world that you got your start in one of those gyms. How did your coach start coaching there and was the intent to do that as a side hustle with a focus on real competitive weightlifting or did you sort of help inspire him to move over into that side.
Speaker 3: He's been a coach longer than I've been alive. He could forget more than I know about weightlifting. Like Steve Fouer, he's been in the Chattanooga area and had his own gym and been coaching at the college high school D one level, Like that's kind of been his deal. He was only coming in to supplement and do every once in a while something for the CrossFit crowd. It's very lucky that I found him and that our coach and fleet relationship has gone through now going on eleven years in Chattanooga, Tennessee, for the sport of Olympic weightlifting. It's like a lot of things had to go right for a long time for that to work out well.
Speaker 1: And I also wonder, did you at some point realize you had something special and you should seriously pursue this or do you think that Steve's ability to see that in you was a big deciding factor there.
Speaker 3: People do ask him that, like Olivia walked in the gym, did you just know? And He's like, no, I had no clue, first of all. Second of all, he asked, he goes, do you want any help or do you want like pointers? And I go no, I think I'm good, And he was like all right then, so oh my god, cause at the time I didn't understand I knew how to snatch and I knew how to clean a jerk, and I was like, boom, I've got it. I don't need any help. I could do it like ground overhead, like a very crossfitter. Mentality doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to get it done. And to a lot of years before I realized, okay, I'm not didn't crosswit anymore. This is Olympic weightlifting. In order and be good at this, you kind of have to be a perfectionist and you know, have help and be a coachable athlete. And that took a long time for me to realize. And I mean, he was just happy to have people in the gym, regardless of your ability level, and he's happy to take the time to coach and work with you. I mean, it just happened that I enjoyed it and I wanted to compete, and he's like, awesome, okay.
Speaker 2: And you were very very good at it.
Speaker 1: I will say as a precocious young person myself, I think also kids tend not to really understand or grasp how successful adults are or what it means when a successful adult wants to invest time in you.
Speaker 2: Because you don't know any different.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, that's cool, and then later in your life like, holy shit, this guy's like really great at this and spending some time with me to help me be great too. So I think a lot of us that have sports backgrounds no you know, AAU basketball or travel soccer, or Junior Olympics for track, there's a lot of outlets to kind of pursue an interest in the sport. When you find that you're at a specific level outside of just your regular school competitions, what are the opportunities as a young person for competitive weightlifting? Where do you go if you realize you want to start the track towards something like in Olympics. That's what makes it a little tough about Olympic weightlifting is people automatically.
Speaker 3: First right off the bat, don't quite understand the difference between powerlifting, bodybuilding and weightlifting, and they think it's all kind of the same thing. So a good part of that is just education. And if you're in kind of the school age, then your source is your strength coach and they might not even know the Olympic lifts and they might still be having absolutely everybody do a power clean. There are no squats to full depth. There is no full range of motion. So a lot of that starts with just you have to find somebody that is in a way knows anything about the Olympic lifts, which are the snatch and the clean and jerk. Powerlifting is the squat, benched deadlift, and bodybuilding is a physique competition, not the same.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So for the two Olympic lifts, pardon my ignorance, but they're separate events, the snatch and the clean.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's all one competition. So you the competition, you weigh in, you have two hours. Competition starts, you do the snatch, you do the clean and jerk, competition ends, that weight class ends.
Speaker 2: Got it? And they both count?
Speaker 3: Yes, you add them together and that's your total. So you can technically have like you like a world championship. You walk away with three gold medals, a snatch, a clean and jerk in a total.
Speaker 1: Okay, And can you win any of those medals individually or they all go together individually?
Speaker 2: Yes? Ah, okay, So you can win the snatch but not the others.
Speaker 1: You can also win the clean and jerk but not the other or you can win okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's a combination of the three. The only exception is a Games event, so it gets a little a Games event, there are no individual lift medals, it's only total. So the Olympics I walked away with one gold medal versus a World Championship walked away with three.
Speaker 2: Okay, a lot of medals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not quite sure who made the role. I wish it was three, could have been.
Speaker 1: But you know, so, what was your first big win where it was like, Okay, I'm on track. I need to start looking to compete against the most elite people in the world.
Speaker 3: Probably my twenty twenty one Junior World Championship. That was my first big international in terms of I have fly with the team, getting to do have an international competition experience, and I ended I had really no expectation for myself. I hadn't competed in a while because that was coming out of COVID, and it was just kind of like, I'm here to compete. This is super cool. I don't know what I can do. And then I ended up winning and I was like, wow, okay, not everybody's doing this all right then. So it was after that and then a couple more because Olympic qualifying for twenty twenty four started into twenty twenty two, so it was kind of within that year I was like competing a lot more, qualifying and making senior teams as a your athlete, where I started prioritizing lifting a little bit more in my life. I had graduated high school in twenty twenty one and originally went to the University of Alabama at Birmingham to pursue an undergraduate degree in public health, and I spent a year there, and in that time I had about four competitions, and I was training remotely, so my coach was programming me, but he's not in person, and I was kind of training by myself, and it was just not the best environment for me to set myself up to a twenty twenty four potential Olympic hopeful. So that's those years are kind of when I started to realize how far this could take me, how good I could get, and also just the natural progression of being an athlete and not just it being a hobby, but the sport that I enjoy, and this could be a career for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: How did your friends in high school react to you pursuing weightlifting.
Speaker 3: They thought it was cool cool for one of my junior Worlds, they had to send off. Everybody made posters and stuff. I've always been super supported, and I love the sport of weightlifting. I love that people are interested. Not to say that got any of them into the gym to try it with me, not at all. Still I don't think I have, but there's a lot of respect for what I'm doing in my sport and balancing it all.
Speaker 1: I feel like whenever I want to get my friends to do stuff that they're not super jazzed about, I just turn it into a birthday party and then they're forced to on behalf of celebrating me. So I think your next birthday party needs to just be in the gym where everybody has to learn.
Speaker 2: How to do like a clean and jerk.
Speaker 3: That is the most Olivia Reeves thing I've heard.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 3: I haven't done that yet. A weightlifting theme birthday.
Speaker 1: You could just do Olympic themed where there could be a couple other events, but the real point is to get everyone to have to do like a clean injurney. Yeah wow, okay, so take us through a lift. I want to know, are you repeating cues right before relating to your arms, your knees, your breath. Are you relying on just muscle memory and clearing your brain right before? Like what are you thinking as you're about to make an attempt?
Speaker 3: If I'm like leading up to competition, say it's a competition lift, I do a lot of visualization to see like the weight on the bar, the seconds on the clock, things like that to make it feel like I've already made the lift. I already know the outcome. I just have to go through the process. And the process is doing a snatch. I've done ten thousands of snatches and clean and jerks and lifts throughout my going on eleven years of training, So I already have the outcome that I want. I know the process to get there. So a lot of it is just I make lifts. That's what I do. That's just kind of what I do. I make lifts and kind of say that repeatedly as I've already done it. I have done it. I did it in the warm ups, you know, leading up to it. The only thing that's changed is the weight on the bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: So it's a lot of positive mental attitude just I'm already there, it just hasn't happened yet. I should have said this before, but this snatch is from the ground to the air in one movement, and the clean and jerk is from the ground to your shoulders, and then the jerk part is the press above your shoulders. So for people who don't know the difference between those two, they're similar but distinct.
Speaker 2: So take us to Paris.
Speaker 1: You win, you set a record, You put the US back on top for the first time in decades.
Speaker 2: What were the emotions?
Speaker 3: It was a lot. It happened so fast. We were in the Olympic village for like three four weeks, almost a month before we competed.
Speaker 2: Wow, why so long to acclimate?
Speaker 3: And because we could be in the Olympic village that long, and we were like, all right, we'll do it. Who's we me Mary Jordan Hampton, Wes we or the twenty twenty four Olympians for weightlifting, for USA weightlifting. So we were able to stay and watch other sports compete, and so that was really exciting. But it was just like okay, when's it my turn? Okay, like can I go now? Please? Get it be my turn to just like let's do it, and so weightlifting was the last three or four days. Mary are super heavy. Wait went on the last day of closing ceremonies.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So it was very much go to Paris. You're there. Training was not going amazing for me, but then you compete and then it's like boom, go home, it's done.
Speaker 1: And I was like, whoa, Yeah, it's more fun to compete first and then get to hang out in the village after and enjoy everybody else without the stress. So we hear a lot about the sort of Olympic letdown, even if you win, just the idea of like you've built it up so much and now it's over.
Speaker 2: Even though you came home.
Speaker 1: With gold, there was like you just said this quick turnaround from excitement, excitement, build up, build up up, go home.
Speaker 2: So what did it feel like? Did you have a letdown?
Speaker 3: I think so. I took two weeks off from training, didn't go in the gym. I had a lot after that, being from Chattanooga, coming back to Chattanooga having being involved so heavily in this city. There was a lot of media or just local things. They did a parade, I have a keyping city cool. They had fun stuff, like that. That made it fun to be home and out and about. There was a bit of a letdown in training, but I had the World Championships in December that year, and we got home mid August and I started my last semester of my undergraduates. So I did have quite a bit going on to be like, there's no time to really dwell on. Like the Olympics happened. That was awesome. I have so much to be grateful for from that, and I love that experience, but I got to get through the year first. There are a couple more things I gotta do before we can take a breath just yet.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like your life has changed a lot since winning gold?
Speaker 3: Not really, more people just know about it. Yeah, They'll look at me and they'll go, uh, do I know you?
Speaker 1: Like I would be like, probably from my gold Olympic medal, I'd be like, I'm not going to give you a second to say kindergarten. I'm just going to offer up gold medal and see if that's it.
Speaker 3: They're like, oh my gosh, yeah, And it's like so like my high school had a billboard up for a minute, like they did. UTC did a lot so it does happen still on occasion that people are like, wait a.
Speaker 1: Minute, a little bit. It's not the same as like Elasulou. There are certain events in certain sports where it becomes a global sensation versus weightlifting, which still needs to get a little bit more love, which could happen in LA twenty eight. There's a real opportunity for that. So I know you set a new American record this March right, yes, yes, at the Arnold unofficial world record.
Speaker 2: Yes, Why was it unofficial?
Speaker 3: It has to be an International Weightlifting Federation competition for it to be a world or Pan American record for US. By no means am I complaining about I understand the rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: So what are your goals in upcoming competitions or big ten pole events or what are the things you're kind of tracking as we get closer to LA twenty eight.
Speaker 3: So qualification starts this November in China. We have our first qualifier, which is the twenty twenty six Senior World Championship. A World Championships is already a pretty big deal, but because it's an Olympic qualifier and the first one, it does kind of sets the tone. If you will for many people, but you need five qualifiers before they name the Olympic team. So and that takes you up until March of twenty twenty eight. They won't name the team until like a couple months before. So all I know is I have to do five. I don't even know which five exactly that will be planned based on my performance at whichever ones and the timing of it all. I don't think they even have all five.
Speaker 1: Like right mapped out, but you know you'll start with Worlds this fall. Yes, when you say name the team, does that mean it's a subjective choice where they're selecting members based on performance or do you have to hit marks?
Speaker 2: And then it's based on those marks.
Speaker 3: So for weightlifting, it's probably the least subjective sport we've got because it's either you make the total or you don't. You're either you're ranked so high or you're not.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: A full team is three women and three men. That's the max you can send for weightlifting. Each have to be you can't have two athletes in the same weight class, and in order to qualify to go to the Olympics, you have to be in the top eight of the world. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got to get all those all those things and only one spot per country for a weight class is really tough. Geez, I saw this stat about US weightlifting. So this came out after the Paris Games. Sixteen gold, seventeen silver, eight bronze medals at the Olympics for US weightlifters, that's a total of forty four.
Speaker 2: So that's third.
Speaker 1: All time, behind only the Soviet Union in China, who are tied at sixty two, which is good, but only ten of those forty four US medals have come since nineteen sixty eight, so there was this golden era and it hasn't been the same since. But you're part of this potential resurgence for US weightlifting. A lot of hope around you and the team, So how you do in LA could have a really big impact on young girls deciding to try the sport. What does that honor and I guess that responsibility and maybe a little bit pressure mean to you.
Speaker 3: It means so much to be on the other side of it, basically growing up in this sport and in CrossFit and weightlifting and looking up and being able to see other athletes get to the Olympics and achieve these things, and now I'm here being able to do that and set an example and not just lead by example, but inspire other athletes. And now it's not like we're barely sending women's teams. No, we have too many women to send. We have too many women that are too good to send to these And it's not like a, well, I hope we meddle at the World Championships. No, we're going to meddle at the World Championships. And being able to change that part of the conversation has been amazing to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would you say to parents who might want to get their girls in weightlifting, or even maybe if there's teens or young women themselves that are listening.
Speaker 3: Find a gym and start doing it the earlier you can. There are so many benefits to weightlifting, not only like this doesn't have to be your sport or the thing that you do. That's completely fine. This is such a great supplemental way to move to build any sort of speed and strength. If you want to be a basketball player, if you want to be a volleyball player, a soccer like, there's so many benefits to strength training, not just specifically Olympic weightlifting that only help you, and starting at a younger age and building that body awareness and that movement powdern can help you get ahead of other kids who aren't doing that. That's saying you need to maximize absolutely everything would be the bed like, no, no, no, There are many upsides to strength training, especially for women. I remember being in high school and wanting to take the wellness class was the strength and conditioning class, and you know, the guys would go and max out their power, clean and squat whatever, and the girls would walk around the gym for an hour. And I had already been weightlifting, and I was like, this is gonna be awesome. I can lift here like you know, while in school and do whatever. But I was like, this actually stinks. Yeah, what do you mean you're not gonna teach us the time hands? You mean to tell me you don't have any women's bars in here?
Speaker 2: Mmm? Sounds like a Title nine violation, Olivia.
Speaker 3: Do you like my high school?
Speaker 2: We can like that high school. We could still call them out.
Speaker 3: I agreed. It's little things like that where it's not exactly discouragement from a living you're just not encouraged or there's no information about it or how.
Speaker 1: To do it, what I would say is, even though of course it's great for young people who want to do other sports or just want to get involved, as someone who is an athlete myself, it's been so useful for me to have learned how to do things correctly with the support of coaches and trainers, so that now in my everyday life, I can go to the gym and know the proper form for all the different things I'm doing without needing to have.
Speaker 2: Supervision for it.
Speaker 1: And especially for older women where they get told yet again, strength training is what you need during perimenopause and all the other things as your bones changed. Like to already know what I'm doing instead of having to teach myself is really beneficial.
Speaker 2: So I think you're right.
Speaker 1: It's not just about beating people's asses, although that is my favorite part of doing things, there are other side benefits as well. Okay, I have one last question for you, because, like I said earlier, you're only twenty three. You've accomplished so much already, you have a long career yet to go. But also you're thinking about life outside of the sport, and I mentioned your master's program. What are you hoping to do with that degree, because I've seen some quotes around addressing barriers within different sports to make them more accessible, Understanding you know, people's lifestyles and how communities function in terms of health. Like, there's so many interesting ways to take what you're learning.
Speaker 3: I knew I wanted to go into a health aspect. That's been a huge part of my life, my parents owning a gym and needing an athlete. So finding public health, which was originally my major, but then coming back to UDC and finding sociology and be able to learn about social determinants of health and ways that you can impact a community and less at the individual level. But there's no preventative approach really to medicine. And that's what I found through public health, specifically chronic disease and prevention is creating pathways that prevent people from ending up at a hospital. That's lifestyle changes, that's community implementation, and less like me as an individual eating healthy, it's how can I set myself up from things in my community to make sure I am healthy, but also contributing in a way. Cool.
Speaker 2: That sounds so fascinating.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love it and cannot say enough good things, but how I fit that into weightlifting is kind of what I'm trying to figure out. I'm definitely looking forward to that, and I really think I have found something that's broad enough. But the topic that I want in terms of moving forward in a professional sense.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a head of a lot of other people, and if it doesn't work out, you and I both have the same tenure plan, which is get rich and famous and live on a farm, So we can always just find some empty space together and go hang out with our donkeys and dogs and horses.
Speaker 3: I would love absolutely nothing more.
Speaker 1: We'll see you there. Thanks again to Olivia for taking the time.
Speaker 2: Don't forget.
Speaker 1: You can now watch full length good game interviews on the Iheartwomen's Sports YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: So head on over to subscribe. We have to take another break.
Speaker 1: When we return, they can hoop, make us laugh and make us cry.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: Welcome Max Slices.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Go to YouTube and watch the speeches from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame induction on Saturday night, Elena Deladon, Shamika Holds claw Kandae Parker and the entire team USA nineteen ninety six Women's Olympic gold medal squad, including Cheryl Spoops, Lisa Leslie, Don Staley, Rebecca Lobo and coach tar Vanderveer were honored and their speeches are more than worth your time. Teladan got emotional while talking about her sister and when shouting out Sylvia Fowls Holtz Claw touchh on her mental health struggles and said to anyone else who might.
Speaker 2: Be struggling, I see you. Your struggle doesn't disqualify you.
Speaker 1: And Parker spoke directly to an actual basketball while remembering quote a love story that began twenty seven years ago. End quote also shouts to Candas for sneaking in some hoops and gay shit.
Speaker 2: Quarter four.
Speaker 1: I changed teams both literally and figuratively.
Speaker 2: We'll put the links in the show notes.
Speaker 1: We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email, good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy, and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy watch Move in your bod to Boost your Brain, rating five out of five stars for letting us know all the hard work is worth it.
Speaker 2: Review.
Speaker 1: The Women's Sports Foundation partnered up with Got Them See and Flamingo Hair and Body Care for Built to Move, a research initiative looking at how movement fosters body appreciation and body confidence for women. They're finding show that for women, quote, physical activity is associated with greater body appreciation, improved physical and mental health, and increased feelings of strength, power and pride in what their bodies can do.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: It seems kind of obvious, but how many times do you sit on the couch you need a pint of ice cream when you're sad, instead of walking the dog or going on a hike, or, like Olivia reeves, maybe lifting some weights. Get that body move in, y'all see how much your brain will respond. The study showed that women who are physically active two to four hours per week are nearly two times is likely to report positive body appreciation compared with women who are inactive or active less than an hour per week, and movers were also forty six percent more likely to report good mental health. We'll link to the mini report and the full research in the show notes. If you want to check it out now, it's your turn. Y'all rate and review, Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good game, Olivia, Good game everyday folks getting in the gym to stay strong, whether that's CrossFit, powerlifting, weightlifting, or something else. You anyone who makes the weight sections of a gym feel exclusive, unwelcoming, or inaccessible to people who want to learn how to lift. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez, and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery Loftus and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain