Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Oh We're ready, all right, Here we go Kids.
Speaker 3: Supremo Sun So Suprema role called Suprema Sun Suprema role called Supremer Supremo.
Speaker 4: Roll call Suprema So Suprema Rome.
Speaker 1: My name is Questlove. Yeah, this is the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love making our guest to the theme with no warning roll call Supremo.
Speaker 5: Sound Sun Supremo role called Supremo su So Supremo role.
Speaker 6: My name is Fante. Yeah, and I'm gonna speak my cloud Yeah with my girl Sam J. Yeah and Ho Tiv's not out ro Supprima Supremo roll Supreme.
Speaker 1: So Supreme roll. My name is Sugar. Yeah, I'm never boring. Yeah, so why don't you call me? Yeah at three in the morning, Roll call.
Speaker 5: Son Son Supremo, roll call Suprema So Supreme roll call.
Speaker 7: I'm on tabill Yeah, no time to play. Yeah, let's talk about white folks.
Speaker 1: YEA with Sam.
Speaker 5: Up my roll call Supremo Supremo role.
Speaker 4: It's like here, Yeah, what's Sam J? Yeah, I met her girl, ladyes, y'all need to stay away ro.
Speaker 5: Supping a roll call Suprema Supreme.
Speaker 8: Roll call my name is Sam. Yeah, I came to Jawn. Yeah I'm from the Bean. Yeah, don't give a damn roll.
Speaker 5: Came Brave sound so prem roll supream up. Sound sounds so preem rot preemu sound sounds primo roll so very much sound sounds.
Speaker 1: Up pre roll. Okay, wow, that was pretty good? Right with it? Would you like to join the podcast? That's how I got it.
Speaker 2: This is literally how we get our guest, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to another episode of Quest Love Supreme. I briefly forgot for the way y'all looked at me right now. I was like, wait, did you forget the name of your podcast? The answer is yes, I did. Wait where am I? That's a nice show? Okay, yeah, Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 1: This is weird.
Speaker 2: This is like a novel idea of us being in person. We got to do this more often, so often. Fan, take a look. What's what's up?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 2: So I didn't get to do small talk the last time we were together, for you know, we had to. We had to keep it moving. Yeah, but with the Charlemagne episode. But tell me how's been going? Like, how's been tour life going? How's I don't like it if you literally don't like touring, no, are you? Part of me wants to know if Fonte just plays well, he doesn't play the gun, you don't have.
Speaker 1: To play anything. Yeah, I don't feel like I don't like that's your true feelings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's just really me. I mean I just really what is like, what is your dream scenario to make money from my house, which I've been doing for the last three years. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: You never want to leave North Carolina?
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, man, it's just I mean, listen, I'm just at a point in my career where I'm not gonna be inconvenienced, like if you're gonna if I'm gonna have to leave the comfort of my home. And I've even had to had to talk like with everybody, listen, all of us. I'm not a broke rapper, So I'm not gonna go out and cosplayers one on the road. You feel me like, I'm not gonna You're not gonna have us staying in some boat fuck that like either we go first top of lineup, we just don't do this ship at all because I don't have to, you know what I mean. Like if I'm I mean you've been Well you haven't been in my house, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But you've seen your house.
Speaker 4: The videos, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not gonna leave my house to go live at a standard. There's less than what I got at my house. So if you can't meet or see that standard, I'm staying home. Damn just took over. Sorry, Sam's class. The touring, like the performing I enjoyed, Like that hour hour and half on stage whatever is great. But everything else around it, like the travel, the food, the all that other ship, Yeah, they can have so I just but the shows were dope. We did San Diego, sant Anna, Brooklyn and Boston.
Speaker 1: And uh Sam, she pulled up on us in Brooklyn. You know what I'm saying. We did.
Speaker 2: I was there too.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. Yeah. Yeah, after after we need to.
Speaker 4: Really get into this story because I need to know how much did you w Wait wait.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, time out, ladies and gentlemen. Look, my fellow thirty Rocky in is here. So this is just going to be you know, I'd rather just introduce you now, you know, for real, like you're first of all the tragedy of why the world does not know, and I know you're known from many things, but for me, the the levels of bust down, it's a tragedy that the world doesn't know this comedy, like this show more and more than Detroit, is more than South Side all the other shows that I've loved and then got thrown.
Speaker 1: Under the bus like that is one of my favorite things ever. But of course.
Speaker 2: Your your history at essen. Now you're standing up specials three am, so many that you've done. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Sam Jays. Yeah all right, now tell me Sam how you got away board for this How.
Speaker 8: I had some shrimp gummies and I was like, you should do them.
Speaker 1: He was like no.
Speaker 8: I was like, but they're fire. I promise, and I think I come off pretty trustworthy. So he was like, I'll do a couple. I was like, I promise you gonna you gonna have a smooth ride. Yeah, the gummies and I always eat them, make it chill. I was like, it's gonna be a small ride, you know, let's go whatnot, Let's keep everybody on board for the ride all together.
Speaker 1: I have to Steve and I have to work after, so we're actually you.
Speaker 4: Can't be able to push him in and not be like, but I got it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm probably one to two pieces. That's that's be it. That three to five, three to six.
Speaker 8: It's the same as ship I gave you that old.
Speaker 1: It's seven to ten pieces.
Speaker 2: Yead no, no, no, no, no, that's Shirley Temple. That's like that's like a half hour of three.
Speaker 1: I'm so jealous.
Speaker 4: Set out here actually chewing on real mushrooms and y'all got.
Speaker 1: To make I don't like the taste of nobody likes the taste of mushrooms.
Speaker 8: Where was like, there's the raw dog, they tell my stomach. Yeah, triging in the tea or yourself, I was like being dumb.
Speaker 4: I just like put it on top of some pizza and bite it.
Speaker 1: It was giving me a bad time. How long How long have you been doing it?
Speaker 4: I would say six years now, Oh you're advanced class.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Still haven't tripped yet. I feel like I'm doing something.
Speaker 8: You haven't gone to the desert yet. You gotta go to my mind or you've done it, like physically you have to go like trip somewhere that's trippable.
Speaker 4: I mean I've done like an island, but not.
Speaker 1: Yet, Like I'm still in the microducing phase of just like shallow water.
Speaker 4: And city tripping, Like you're not like stepping.
Speaker 1: I don't even do it. Yeah, I don't understand people that can do it and function outside.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, I'd be like, you're an outside person.
Speaker 4: I've done the whole sets. What are we outside sets? City tripping? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The first time I heard someone really use their creativity for it, Steve, were you with us when we were working on the What's Forel's movie with about the no the women.
Speaker 1: Who uh hidden figures? All right? When we're doing the hidden figures?
Speaker 2: So I heard the engineer tells the story about their clients that were coming in to do a session. I remember the engineer saying that it was like a they're gonna make a jazz record. Everyone is going to do streams first and see what happens to it. And at the time, you know, I was in my old state of mind, like you guys are doing drugs, but nah, it's that you like.
Speaker 8: What because I went through a pandemic believing in drugs and like believing and everything, and.
Speaker 4: Then I was like people have been lying.
Speaker 1: I was absolutely there. I was just past there.
Speaker 8: Yo. I didn't have smoking parents. No, my mother was like, I don't do none of that. And then I believed there and I was like, everything leads to crack from Boston Boston. All right, well, don disrespect I mean, relax.
Speaker 4: I didn't know which one to disrespect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was a period where we're literally I think, and all right, I'm not throwing my mom under the bus.
Speaker 1: I know she's listening to this episode, but I'm no, I'm just saying that.
Speaker 2: I think there's a generation of people who were hip in the sixties, he'd.
Speaker 1: Mistick in the seventies. And then something happened.
Speaker 2: I believe that Reagan's speech at the Republican National Committee, like whatever his version of Obama's yes we can't speech in two thousand and four, like he gave a speech in which really just people believed it, like the original make America great a great which literally that.
Speaker 1: Was the first time did that was one of his things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Trump stole that, no surprise here from him, make America great again. And it was just a period where, like in the eighties, people decided they wanted to attuned for their sins of the heat in the stick seventies in the sixties, so everyone became like born again Christian and then like Donna Summer started.
Speaker 4: Thinking about crack.
Speaker 8: That's what I was about to say, Like crack had to also be because that was just like watching people. I feel like Heroin was like people went to the war, you kind of knew what was going on, and they came back it was fucked up, right, But crack was just like watching a bus driver become a goblin in a week.
Speaker 6: And it was like, by the way, and Crack two, it took the mothers out the home. So it was like, you know, like there was always drugs in the community. Like even if your mom like might have party, did a little coke or whatever here and there, she was still coming home doing homework. She was still cooking for the kids. Crack came and it took the mother's out the home completely.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm a late binger, So I just watched the last episode of The snow Fall God and watching Franklin sink.
Speaker 1: Interior. Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: Interiorate phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was phenomenal right the way, now I've realized and okay, for those that didn't see it alert once they happened to walk past the set of you know what, right, seeing that, you know, that made it that even brought it more full circle for me. It's like, wow, this guy, like not even seven months ago was Franklin Saint like powerful whatever, you know, and now he's one of them.
Speaker 1: Now. I wondered, like, how many other people I've dismissed as like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not knowing that that person Franklin.
Speaker 1: I don't even think it was alcohol, but you know, you know.
Speaker 8: People were like yeah, people were definitely debating the alcohol or like did he do cracking? Like I was like, nah, I think that hit with the Wanda. It's like he I think that was a part of the psyche. Is like he still thought he was better than them than to do the Christ. Yeah, it's like, oh those are I'm.
Speaker 6: Not that, you know, like he still had a disillusion man, but you're you're an addict nonetheless, because I mean the way you begging your mama for money, the way you begging your homeiet.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yet that three million just let me.
Speaker 8: Get your money was the crack. That's what I was saying. Because when he went to Leon for that three million, it was very feeni. It was very feeni when you want the gun out, like give me that, or just the way he was sweating it and I'm gonna just get it and I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Just go do this. Did I pay you back and make you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just be coming for you.
Speaker 8: That mirroring of like what a drug addiction in him and his addiction and like how they perfectly like that scene with his mom in the jail, but he's like raging and screaming. It's like, yo, that looked like pooky when they was putting them in a joint and new Jack, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So that said, yeah, it was just in the early eighties, you know, starting with Little Richard, starting with Donna Summers, like all these celebrities started being like born against Christians or whatever, and I guess when you're forty years.
Speaker 8: Old, it just stops sucking.
Speaker 1: Dick.
Speaker 8: He did started and he was like, don't even put that all my life, Like, well people will still trying to put that. He was like, no, don't bring that devil stuff over here.
Speaker 1: Right. Black people have always been super conservative and.
Speaker 8: They demonized weed because only black and brown people were doing it. Don't forget about Freddy's documentary The Grass Is Greener exactly.
Speaker 2: So that said, yeah, I was just taught that all drugs are bad all and then once the pandemic came, you know, I started microdosing, which was necessary because.
Speaker 6: Like or mis shrooms, shrooms, there was no there was no gateway drug went from tasty cakes.
Speaker 1: In my personal opinion, shrooms are like the Shirley Temple. That's a secondary temple reference you've made today.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying like, it's like I was waiting for, like, all right, when do I have been going backhead?
Speaker 1: And the only name that started happening was I started. I started crying, but I'm isn't sad, and I'm like feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I realized that as a person who you never saw me cry, like I've told this story. Even at Dyla's funeral, my most shameful moment was I'm never gonna let to see me cry. So I had to run out the funeral service, cry, come back in and kept running out coming he needs I did, like I've just been taught like that whole tony soprano. If you're a leader, never let anyone see you in a vulnerable moment because they can use that, like they get happy if I drop a drumstick.
Speaker 1: So what's going to happen if I start crying?
Speaker 4: Like did you we know that? Amir that did you was running from crying in front of him.
Speaker 1: He just found out now, but he just listened to question of supreme HW.
Speaker 8: So your first drug is pandemic?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there was the time I accident so in Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: I didn't know about weed brownies, so you know, I was like, I'll do on you guys and see what it's like here. The first night there and I sat at the bar and I saw Hope into brownies and I was like, hey, I'll take that, and I took three without knowing, and immediately the bar guy was like, wait, whoa, you just took three of those. I was like yeah, what's oh no? And I was like, oh what And then we found out later you come to me chasing like Keith sweat and silk all through the streets of.
Speaker 1: That sort. But micro brownie okay, all right, but that was it and yeah, so true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll say that contact between this contact.
Speaker 1: Right, I did it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I did a very small micro doce of it, and I realized like I was just in a great space where I felt.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, why yeah during the pandemic. So Sam and Fante did Brooklyn Troo. No, that was great. We I did them. We was in the dressing room. She had them.
Speaker 6: I was like, a fucking I'm doing So I did them and afterwards we went You went to the city you were going to hang it?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: I went to the stand.
Speaker 1: I think stand you were going to. You went to the day I went to the Daylight party. So I went to that. Shit was fire. I went to the Daylight Party shout my girl Terror and my brother don Will.
Speaker 6: He was spinning and there was a light like wall behind them and so I was just watching the lights like kind of blinking ship how long?
Speaker 1: And they was playing much that ship sounded a maze. Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: I was so happy. You text me.
Speaker 8: You were like these they're nice.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yes, it was. It was a cool little rod.
Speaker 8: I'm so happy what I get people like good high and they're like happy and yeah.
Speaker 1: It was cool.
Speaker 6: I mean because drugs for me, I mean I always grew up around drugs, and I think the their stuff was like looking back on that ship.
Speaker 1: Like, people don't understand just how insane that was.
Speaker 6: They had police officers with loaded weapons coming to talk to fucking third graders about drugs.
Speaker 4: Like like get the show, you crack that thing. Yeah, post officer friendly, like I mean.
Speaker 6: They were, you know, cool, but yeah, but it was still police officers with fucking weapons and you're a kid.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was some bullshit. But but I'm definitely pro drugs. Now. Oh yeah, well Monty reading rooms. Now that other ship is that of a ship?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, one day, I'll try. I would like to see what else you know before.
Speaker 4: Molly thinke you do drugs?
Speaker 1: It's not so evidence. Here's the change. He's gonna go from nineteen jobs like three none, no, no, no, for real, Here's here's the scale.
Speaker 2: There's mushrooms, there's weed, Molly's in the family, there's ayahuaska. But again it's it's I don't do it for party purposes, like yo, let me get fucked up and you know, go to the club.
Speaker 1: No I do. When I met at Hate, I do it like as.
Speaker 2: Really to get in touch with my emotions, because you know, it's if you don't express your emotions. Yeah, well again again it's been demonized so much that we think that and also people use it. It would be like me going to like a church and to get fucked up or on communion wine, Like you're not supposed to. That's not the purpose of taking communion wine.
Speaker 6: It helps to I think when it comes to drugs outside of weed, but you definitely helps me. Have black people like to introduce that to you and like Sam, yeah, Sam, it's like because if they introduced I would, But I get what you're saying.
Speaker 8: I feel like like a white high and black first Molly was with my black lawyer friend and I was like, you're a lawyer. You go to work every day about your life. Your ship is together.
Speaker 1: Hold on if I gave you drugs as a white high and a black high.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're talking about have you not heard them Richard pryor acid sketch bro Like.
Speaker 6: I went to high school with these motherfuckers, you know what I'm saying. So I saw like these motherfuckers like the ship that we would do would be like go to the store. There was a store called Gusses talking.
Speaker 8: About white people and they're not these motherfuckers like aliens, Like it's just.
Speaker 1: Different and I just had to see that. You know. For us, it was like we would go to the store.
Speaker 6: There was a store called Gusses where you could they would sell you could get you know, liquor or wine whatever. So we go and get our little Boonze farm and some bullshit. Right, we was on boons Farm. The white boys I played football with. These niggas was on acid like in high school.
Speaker 1: I mean like sixteen, they parents leaving shit. These niggas are any drugs chemically, I will say this, I don't trust that shit.
Speaker 8: All the wyomings that I had that I did drugs with, I super trusted because like not for nothing, White people like be knowing like what the shit does. Like He's like, no, this goes to that part of your nervous system. And what it does is it release is a chemical. It's the same chemical that releases with you pee. All right, man, you got a lot of information, brother.
Speaker 1: All right. So there is a documentary called Fantastic Fun Guy. Okay, We're really fantastic. No no, I highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: It's a documentary that came out in twenty nineteen, and it literally explains the benefits of mushrooms, not just hallucinogenic mushrooms, but the purposes of mushrooms on earth, which literally nature takes in mushrooms, like when you when mice or animals decomposed in the parks or whatever, it's mushrooms that even mushrooms growing inside the body once uh, decomposing process.
Speaker 1: Happens when you mushrooms about bodies. Yes, like literally watch Fantastic from Guy It's it's.
Speaker 4: I don't want to because now I'm gonna think the Last of Us is real.
Speaker 1: It could be. I mean, no spoilers. I didn't finish the last three episodes.
Speaker 4: I mean nothing Snowfall and that way before Snowfall mirror.
Speaker 1: So sim talk about comedy, say something funny.
Speaker 2: I'm very proud of you. I know we planned well. You guys had the first q OLS play date well minus being a bill to uh tomorrow. Well right, I can't do it tomorrow because I have work. Right, But you know, one day, unless you're tripping balls, you might just stand on.
Speaker 1: Which would be awesome to call in the work tripping balls. No, we should actually do it the right way one day and do a retreat. Do a retreat. You should work your way up to that. I did.
Speaker 4: I can't just do the mushrooms right now.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, I've been doing them. They just have a high tolerance. So you have to feel what mushrooms does?
Speaker 7: I think before you can weed and sit on the side because I got kids, Man, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't. What what's your fear of? First of all, I did a lot of drugs in college. They're great, don't get I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just feel like a lot of not let a lot of people don't depend on all of us, but like I have kids that depend on me. It feels like a whole lot of responsibility and that just fucks me up, and I think it.
Speaker 1: Would suck up the You don't want to be out of control.
Speaker 7: I mean I love being we've met, I love being out of control, but like, but like that kind of out of control where I literally can't control it.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think you would come back. No, I think I would come back. I think I would, just at this time, you'll feel different about your family.
Speaker 4: Freak out.
Speaker 1: They're ten and twelve. You get some phone calls a weekend.
Speaker 8: It's a weekend because you said you could have locked something in your brain and then you'd be like, oh, I actually hate these nagors.
Speaker 1: What I need already through that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I assure you that once the first thing that you do when you start, because the thing is is that I've conveniently managed to avoid issues, people, things in my life as a means to just survive. And once this forces you, now I feel like I'm damon Wayne's and uh living colors.
Speaker 1: Wait every day.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sound like Oswald Bates, but the first thing that you will probably reassess and reevaluate are your relationships. Now, for me, I realized, I really no, I realized in twenty twenty don't need that. Yes you do, come on, man, I got the numbers. I'm good about my relationship. But the thing is is that ship we're so I think one of the biggest fears we have in life is advocating for ourselves.
Speaker 1: Just to keep it on. This morning, I was a half hour late to this podcast.
Speaker 2: Mainly because I was literally on the phone trying to manage expectations of certain industry professionals that felt left out. But those aren't your the process, right, But previously I would have been crying to Carol Lewis and calling up my manager like, hey, can we include d da da in this project?
Speaker 1: And this project me right? And the thing is is that no, no.
Speaker 2: Well, I also say, like my favorite line from Ringming Ring Hahi is macOS Yogi pass is doing the produced right, I mean even passed the buck to someone else. But once you get to a place where you decide you don't want to manage other people's expectations of your life, and that's like, well, well, da Da say about me, think about me? DA is gonna not like me because I did this. I don't want to disappoint blah blah blah. And sometimes the people that you have to do that with might be your own flesh and blood, and that's a hard Like advocating for yourself is such a hard place to get to you.
Speaker 1: Let's about therapy for Bill. I like it, though, let's get it to it, Let's fuck it.
Speaker 2: The main reason why I stress this is because if I don't realize it, my body already knows it.
Speaker 1: And like, imagine carrying.
Speaker 2: Michelin Man levels of water in your body swollen like elephant man level. Like technically, lymphidema is like kind of a cousin to elephant Titus. So all those tears, I never cried all those I mean I joked about the Hip Hop fifty. The first place I went to when I landed from Hip Hop fifty and the Grammys. I had to go to Dennis because my tooth fell out. Why because I let seven weeks go by without me. You know, people pound how has more versus than me? No, no, no, no, no how And all that anxiety of me just taking it in and not like in freezing, it caused my body just go. My tooth fell out. So I'm just saying, the best thing you can do for your kids, Leo Bill is really like me. The best thing that you can do for your children is.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: No, the best thing you can do for your children is to ensure that you will be here to the age of ninety to see your great great great grandchildren. Is to literally be here in the best mental health, in the mental state.
Speaker 1: That you can be in. And no, we just got I assure you no one has a scarier life than I do.
Speaker 2: And the fact that most of this nice guy in this whatever quest love nice guy shit is really a mask of like the nicer person is, I assure you they got more anger pain.
Speaker 1: It's like Nate from It's like Nate from Ted Lesson.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yo, I love you for saying that. Yo, for real, Like that's what you don't want to be that guy? So let's talk about comedy. Yeah, this is a hilarious conversation. This is I'll do drugs. Fuck it, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I just want to do today because I have to drive. That's responsible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a week and I do want to do it. But we can retreat though, nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we should.
Speaker 9: This isn't a little frustrating though, to go to that world and then see it and then and then knowing you have to come back and live most of your life in this but.
Speaker 1: You come back and change person. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think the idea is that you go to this other place and the lessons you learned there able to apply.
Speaker 2: And I only recommend this for people that are actively trying to improve their life. You know, I wasn't the world's best communicator. I was not the most emotional person on earth, like I was a technical person.
Speaker 4: Progress. We all work in progress.
Speaker 1: We've been patient with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, that was beautiful.
Speaker 7: Guys the circle than you Yep, time that Samonte drugs and now Bill's got to do hiahuasca.
Speaker 1: All right, Cool? It was a unit.
Speaker 2: So this is what I always wanted to know, Sam, because you know, I came to thirty Rock University like in late two thousand and eight, early two thousand and nine, I already had my preconceived notions of what it was and being as though, Okay, for some I can't explain why, but I'm literally going through every episode of SNL. So right now I'm in nineteen eighty three. Oh, I'm literally watching the evolution of the show. Yeah, and of course I'm asking myself, like, yo, how did well one? How do they get away with this? But just like the mind state of what comedy was back then, I'll say that thanks to our benevolent leader, Steve Higgins. Steve Higgins for those that don't know, Yeah, he's the sidekick on the Tonight Show, but Steve Higgins runs SNL. He's the main producer. So he's allowed me all the time to just go to the show. I like going to the show just to see how it runs, yeah, because that's fascinated to me, but to also watch its evolution to where it is now, I was like, Wow, like someone's really in the room now saying like, no, we need to be seen in those sort of things, And I, you know, attribute can you tell me how because you're definitely part of that parent dime shift, Like what were your expectations coming into that building? And are you allowed to talk about because I also know that I've talked to many a person that had disdain or that sort of thing, like about changing the cauturally.
Speaker 8: Yeah, none, like I can. I'll be very honest about it.
Speaker 4: But I really didn't have any.
Speaker 8: Sometimes I feel like the people who did are like cool, But I did it. I really did because what I came in and my expectations were just like I didn't really have any Like I knew. I never I had never written on a show ever. I had never been in a writer's room. This is my first writer's room yet.
Speaker 1: Who recommended you?
Speaker 8: I went through the audition process, but I believe it was Doyle who saw me at just for laughs, Okay, I didn't really like I was going in like I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, you know what I mean. I'm like, I just hope I survived this thing because I have no idea that I've never written this sketch, you know what I mean. So I'm just like, all right, let me just get in here and like try not to drown, you know what I mean. So I didn't even have any like I'm gonna be like getting sketches on by this time and I'm gonna be like saving the show, and like I know, I was just like I hope I can become like competent at this thing before I get fired.
Speaker 2: You know, does the average rider have expectations like I gotta create the next cowbll sketch or the.
Speaker 8: Probably I would imagine why why wouldn't you like be ambitious in that way if like that's like you're a fucking jam, you know what I mean? Cause I know, like when I got into a stand up, I was like, I want to have an hour special, you know what I'm saying. So like I think for sure, I just I wasn't granted like having those thoughts for that space because it was really foreign to me and everywhere.
Speaker 4: What did they tell you about?
Speaker 1: Why you? Why you?
Speaker 4: What did they tell you about you? Just thought I was funny?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: I know if they told you about a certain bit that date that you did they were like, okay, we need did you.
Speaker 1: Have a package or did you actually audition to be the audition to be on the show? And then what was that like?
Speaker 2: Because I know Jimmy's version of it where Lauren doesn't laugh and there's only three people in the room and yes, so tell me about.
Speaker 1: Walk me for your audition process.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, you just like you go and you're like waiting and it's like you're just down there on ah and it's weird. So I kind of dipped out because it was weird, and I was just like yeah, kind of like text me a little bit before my time.
Speaker 1: I was like, are you in the room with other people like waiting?
Speaker 8: No, they have you in your own like you're yeah, you're taking up a dressing room. So you just ent it by yourself. But you can like hear through the walls of the people auditioning, like yeah, you can just feel the.
Speaker 4: Stress, you know.
Speaker 8: You're just like it's so tense to here. So I was like, I'm a dip So I was like I can't perform well this way because I was just doing like a stand up set because I didn't have characters or anything like that either. So like this really this world is not on my map of things, not on the characters. I don't write scared, it's like, you know. So I left and then the person was there. She called me, she texted me. She was like, it's about to be your turn. So I just came down like regular comedy club night and just kind of.
Speaker 1: Just curious when you left, what's the thing that you did until until you got the test?
Speaker 4: Sam Ship.
Speaker 8: I went to a bar in thirty Rocks, the bar downstairs, right, and I just sat there and just shot with these I was sticking it with them. They were nice. They prayed over me.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 8: It was kind of like right, they were like not like I haven't but just like they gave me with the blessings real quick.
Speaker 4: That worked.
Speaker 1: It worked.
Speaker 4: It was nice.
Speaker 8: So when you got in, when you I'm curious when you get into this time, Yes, of course I was nervous for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: It's a nerve wracking situation. And when you get in, is it somebody to kind of walk you through, like what's your first day?
Speaker 8: Like, oh, the first day? So though after this, no, you just go to go to work.
Speaker 1: You just go to work.
Speaker 4: You just go to work. They write something right, sound funny and we'll let you know if it makes it.
Speaker 1: How many people were in the room during the audition process.
Speaker 4: It's just it's Lauren.
Speaker 8: It was like Lauren callin. I want to say Tucker, I want to say Kim word, and I want to.
Speaker 4: Say and Higgins, right, and Higgins.
Speaker 8: But they were like sitting in a row, like in the back, and it's like kind of dark in there.
Speaker 4: The studio is not like fully little.
Speaker 1: How daring was it to do comedy without having.
Speaker 8: A very dude right, very like sloop and you just want to stay by yourself, just like I would do my act. But at that point, it's like, it is what the fuck it is?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Like, ain't know really reversing the thing. So I was like whatever they.
Speaker 1: Wanted, you are they looking for someone that could be confident in the face of tension.
Speaker 8: I don't know that that's always what they're looking for. I think they're just looking for different shit, you know what I mean. I think it all comes together and makes the thing. And I think it's everybody coming from different walks of life, people coming from just you know, different parts of comedy coming into comedy different way all of that.
Speaker 2: I think it's just like now before I ask about what happens after you get the green light? How many years before SNL was your comedy journey, So at.
Speaker 8: That point it had to be about to be eleven, I think. So at that point had to be about five or six or so.
Speaker 1: So like two thousand and seven, two thousand and.
Speaker 8: Eight, did I start comedy? Yeah, two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Thirteen, okay, so twenty twelve, At what point are you like, okay, people say I'm funny until you first went on a stage to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh man, I mean maybe like years, like eight years.
Speaker 1: You know, like people can you talk about the process of.
Speaker 2: Feels from where you were in life until like I'm going to go on that stage and day job.
Speaker 4: And talk yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: I feel it's like, you know, I feel like high school people thought it was funny. I feel like, you know, you really start to understand yourself around that time. I have at least certain parts of yourself. And I thought about it, and then like when I was twenty, I did it once, I got I did I did a show. I did a show at Dick's Comedy Fault, and I remember getting off stage, and I was like, this feels fucking icky. It just didn't I don't know how explained. It just felt incorrect. I was like, I don't know, that's not how that was supposed to. The Boston and the oh you're from Oh guys from Boston.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I've heard Patricia O'Neil's stories about Boston.
Speaker 8: Ye're so Boston. And it was under underneath Emmerson College, Okay.
Speaker 4: And then I got sick and I.
Speaker 8: Was in the hospital for a while, and then after I went down to Atlanta, and I kind of just started doing other shit, you know, like I was doing a lot of bullshit jobs, a lot of day jobs.
Speaker 4: And then I was asking you, what's the Sam J day job?
Speaker 1: What was you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 8: I worked for the Iris, like in the mail room. I worked.
Speaker 4: You know, if you had a communications job on the phone.
Speaker 8: I worked. Yeah, I worked, playing it just like calls. I worked at this office building. I forget what they did, but I worked at this office building and doing office ship. I worked at Starbucks. I worked at Starbucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have mad jobs.
Speaker 1: So for you, was there any fear of the first time you stepped on stage too?
Speaker 8: I feel like, yeah, the natural fear of like what if it I don't know, what if it just I don't know, you don't connect with it's why you thought you would or something, which I think is how it felt the first time when I'm like, it felt icky.
Speaker 2: It just was I don't know, I'm asking one in these this therapeutic way. One because world quasi tripping right now, but mostly because you hear that laugh and he ain't. Mostly because I always see comedy almost neck and neck with songwriting. Except with songwriting, I think the rejection isn't as hard as it is, like you have to learn the lesson via silence, yeah, failure.
Speaker 1: That sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And the only person I know that actually reveled in bombing was Norm McDonald, Like the way that he just embraced like it's almost like I want Norm McDonald to not be funny Kevin.
Speaker 8: Kevin Barnett was like the r if. Kevin Barnett, really Kevin Barnett was like that of our diner, Like he loved to bom Kevin. It was fun watching Kevin bomb.
Speaker 4: It was a great time.
Speaker 1: Was it for him?
Speaker 6: Was it just something I guess you think it was like therapeutic, just kind of like facing your worst fears of comic, just kind of leaning into it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think also a little bit like, man, this is who I am, Like, I can't really change that.
Speaker 4: This is really how I think about these things.
Speaker 8: This is actually with my break Like, so if you just don't like it, it's like you just don't like me, and I yeah, I don't know, I can't really do much about that. Oh we didn't ask you that, Sam, who you who? You kind of came up listening to comedy wise, like who were your influence? If there if there is such a thing as comedians and saying influences and that's bad, I know, but a little bit of everybody. I just really liked comedy. I was like consuming it in all forms, you know, like watching Darya, watching Views and Buthead, watching the State, watching Kids in the Hall, watching Mister Show. Yeah, my friend Patrick put me onto this to show, and I was like, I'm into this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need the State to have a proper box set of they ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was and like the fact that they can't do it because of all the song clearances that they did on their initial run. But I am also curious to see how black comedians that aren't under the direct umbrella of Prior, Murphy or Rock like for you know, for a lot of nineties comedians and the eighties comedians and seventies comedians, there's like one north Star, Like every eighties comedians like Richard Price, for every seventies comedian Bill Cosby was a north Star. Yeah, for every eighties it was Richard pryor for every nineties it was Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 1: Early arts was like kind of Chris Rock.
Speaker 2: But then in seeing how comedy was post I'll say social media, especially with a what was the original TikTok the seven seconds thing? Yeah, like Vine, Like I would talk to those Vine stars that were hilarious to me for those seven seconds. Yeah, and then you know, I mean there's like King like all this guys to them Prior and Rock and Murphy, You're like, oh, like they respect him or whatever, but their level of comedy, Like, I think there was a level of Black generation comedy like post two thousand and four, two thousand and five that wasn't directly influenced from those three north Stars.
Speaker 8: So for like women come into conversation, it's always those male north stars. Nobody ever gives moms mably or somebody else.
Speaker 1: God. Yeah, well, I don't think we're big on history in general, like it's with rappers, and I.
Speaker 8: Mean that's true, you know what I mean that part of it is, like I can honestly say, like I learned about Mom's baby after the fact.
Speaker 4: What I grew up. My household was like a red Fox Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 1: You were allowed to listen to those records because I had to sneak to listen.
Speaker 8: I wasn't allowed to do that stuff by myself. But if I happened to be in a room and it was on, they weren't like get her.
Speaker 1: So you didn't grow up in a fire and brimstone house.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no no no. My mother was very much like she She was very open.
Speaker 8: I did like about she like that, Like she started to say, like religion is the opiate of the masses and stuff like that to me.
Speaker 2: So see that like raised by a black parent in the nineteen hundreds, that's not cloaked and trapped by rights because a lot of us make our decisions based on like brimstone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, what is that?
Speaker 8: Like, I don't know I guess I felt like I was taught a lot to think for myself. It was always it was big at my households, big on like thinking.
Speaker 4: For yourself, and like you didn't get no weapons. I didn't get a lot of weapons. Now talk to.
Speaker 1: Actually able to express yourself, but just like you know, I.
Speaker 8: Very much like what do you think? And like if I would just like divert to a question, it was like did you think about that? Did you try to go your own answer?
Speaker 1: So I was just that's amazing that.
Speaker 8: But also you know that's it has its own ship with it because sometimes you're just like, I'm a kid man, just tell.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah, right, just give me. Well.
Speaker 8: She would not to say there were no lines, because for sure there were, but just sometimes you just didn't want to think, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, you just not to discredit black parents out there, because I know a lot of them made their decision on our our survival fight or flight. I was told that parenting is sort of like you get three hundred page manual IQ manual five minutes before you know hand and you don't know what you're doing, like you learn.
Speaker 1: As you go.
Speaker 8: And my mother's was an extreme reaction to my grandmother's. He used to be the ship exactly, you know what I mean. So I think my mother like was just like I'm just going to try to do something else, you know what I mean, like because I didn't like that and that it didn't.
Speaker 4: Quite work for me or whatever.
Speaker 1: Think.
Speaker 4: And I'm also her third child, so I don't know what she was like with my brothers and stuff. They don't tell you.
Speaker 1: They don't tell you.
Speaker 4: Damn you got it easy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I feel like every younger sibling here's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's there.
Speaker 6: There was a there was an archives in the day and they said, like, no siblings, No two siblings have the same parents, right, like, because you're they're at a different stage.
Speaker 1: Your parents are different people.
Speaker 8: So she could have easily just saw how she fucked up on my bus exactly, like, man, all right, we're not gonna do that, you know, We're gonna try some whatever.
Speaker 4: What does your mother do?
Speaker 8: Did you mention that she was a physical uh therapist?
Speaker 1: And your pops what was he around?
Speaker 8: Was he? My dad died when I was young? Oh man, Yeah, but I was like a baby. I had a stepfather though, and he worked in computers. He used to just like work on servers for like U mass.
Speaker 4: Ahead of his time.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you were younger, Like, what was your aspiration?
Speaker 4: I don't really think I have one.
Speaker 8: At some point I confessed myself I was gonna do political stuff or I wanted to be.
Speaker 4: Like a lawyer.
Speaker 1: You're doing political stuff.
Speaker 8: So that was like kind of like I was like, I'm going to get into politics a lot, and I would like shadow politicians and participate in like my government and Mark trial and ship like that, because I thought that's what I was going.
Speaker 4: To Mark Charles were real.
Speaker 1: Damn. I'm sorry. I only know because of the arrested development. I'm sorry. I love when other black people get that that reference.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wanted to ask you about I was jumping ahead, was talking about it outside.
Speaker 1: Pause. Oh yeah, what's what's going on? What was that experience? Like you told me it's not coming back.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 8: You did have your own show and that's a big deal. Yeah, so yeah, I did two seasons of it.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 8: I got to rock out with my friends and it was yeah, I got to you know, Jack and I was part of that show. Was like Wox was part of that show, Like Sirman was a part of that show. It was like my homie homies, you know what I mean. So it was so fun to make a show with my friends. It was so fun to make a sure I believed in and like that was like true to some ship that I wanted to talk about and I wanted to say.
Speaker 1: And I love that show. I mean I would text you and stuff like no that.
Speaker 8: It was a really cool thing to do, and I'm glad I got to do it with HBO A.
Speaker 1: Average time in your opinion, But I also know how.
Speaker 8: I don't want to be one of those people.
Speaker 1: Well all right, I don't want to make it awkward.
Speaker 8: No, well it's a middle in there though, though right, it's like a whole experience and like you did some dope ship, so it's I think parts of it were it's time. I think parts of it were like hella nuanced.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean very much. So it was just like it wasn't a show and then you get it.
Speaker 4: You got it if you don't. But I like, like I grew up and I love the Liquid TV and I love ship like.
Speaker 1: That, you know, like it didn't tell you how to feel. I think that was the thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I am like that type of person not hearing your childhood talk about how your you know, your mom would you know, challenge you on things and like encourage you to talk. Like it makes sense that that's kind of how you comedy is in that way as well. It's not, it's not preachy. It's just there's just another way to think about something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because no one knows the fuck they're talking about.
Speaker 4: Man for a minute.
Speaker 2: So when you when you create these project and this can also apply to bust down as well, when you create projects that wind up being a sacrificial lamb on the altar of mainstream right exactly, then how do you not take it personally? Like for you is a strug thing like okay, do you warn it?
Speaker 8: And then yeah, But also it was so complete honest on like like the last episode I did my mother's funeral, it was such a complete journey that I was like, Okay, a whole story got told here and that's nice, you know, and like I felt good about it being that and maybe some of it is like uh, like how I look at music where it's like yo, you get put out an album and you're like, here's the whole story. I got to tell the story, and then like you just like, hope I get to put out another album and I'll tell another story. So that's kind of how yes, yeah, so it's like all right, it's like it's a thing that gets to live on its own thing and then like hopefully I get to make other stuff. You know, can I just ask I'm gonna zoom out real quick and act like I'm a whole civilian.
Speaker 4: Don't really know?
Speaker 8: You see you on paper, and on paper you've done some like really remarkable things, Like we just talked about you doing SNL not really even Karen, that wasn't even something you pursue. It happened for you. Right then we talked about you know, you had your own TV show HBO kind of dope. Also from as far as like then you end up in a movie with Eddie Murphy. So is that journey if you zoom out and look at it, can you give us detail on that journey in that way? Like do you feel do you see the things that you've achieved in that way? Are you always just like what's the next thing? Because I hear you in your voice kind of like hopefully I get another opportunity. But in this moment, do you understand that you've done some already remarkable things. I mean, yes, I guess I feel like I got to do some really cool things like those. That ship was like really fucking dope. I don't know if I look at it from a lens of like remarkable, I'm just like that was really dope that you you got that like opportunity lined up, you know what I'm saying. And I'm like, what I got to learn from that? Even more so, you know, curious is like dope as fuck, and like take that and just like move it to the next.
Speaker 6: I thought about you the other day when when Elon Musky sent like a rocket said.
Speaker 1: Another rocket that like exploded and exploded.
Speaker 8: A couple of people tweeted me, like space day is Saturday.
Speaker 1: Right straight up.
Speaker 6: But until you made that joke, because I too, I thought like NASA was the space niggas.
Speaker 1: I thought they had space on lock. I didn't. I did not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, other people couldn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 8: I didn't dabble in space like it just didn't seem right. It was like you right, like we've read enough comic books. No, you don't just let individuals start fucking around in space.
Speaker 2: Now we know, or now they know because he tried to send he literally like his SpaceX was like size of like Empire State Building, Like yeah, the tallest rocket. I mean again, you know, all right, so you are from Boston. I know, being from a territory doesn't mean that you have run with anyone. But did you know Patrice at all?
Speaker 8: No, he would to high school with my brother.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, but he's a whole nother generation. And yeah, been in comedy houses with him.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's like twenty years you think he would be.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I'm just saying that Sam is actually much younger than us.
Speaker 4: We oh yeah, I'm three. She got a three.
Speaker 1: No, but Stevie Wonder so you know, like bird.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying that, like the way that he described being a comedian in Boston, there was just a a different level of tension there that really informed his opinions in life. And he mentioned the story one night. I guess if you guys remember the story of the woman who I guess she had murdered her kids, but she blamed it on black people in Boston.
Speaker 1: It's like in the early I can't remember her name. But in the early nineties, like she got rid of her water at the water.
Speaker 4: Didn't put him in the water.
Speaker 1: No, that never was someone down south, someone in Boston like you it or something like that.
Speaker 8: No, No, but it was wife in the projects and blamed right and blamed black.
Speaker 2: And Patrese was one of those. Well all day they were just stopped looking for Yeah, this is like early in his comedy career where he was leap like leaving. Uh, he was one comedian leaving that night, and then after his altercation with police, like he came back as the Patrese O'Neil that we know, and he said that just living in Boston did that to him.
Speaker 1: And I want to know, like, was that your experience in living there?
Speaker 8: Not to the extreme because almost not, like I'm not living that experience as a black man, which it has to be a whole another experience and I have to respect that, you know, Like I don't know, but so not to that extreme. Did I understand, like racism, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Like Boston got a different reputation. Don't understand what you mean?
Speaker 8: A mere like Boston as far as the northeast town, it has a different reputation.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Yes, there is new kids on the block, and then there is new addition.
Speaker 1: Black folks there too, though, like.
Speaker 4: No, we know, we know, but we always thought it was kind of a separation.
Speaker 8: But why it has this reputation like.
Speaker 4: Goodwill Hunting. I don't know, I don't care.
Speaker 8: I don't know, Billy, and I don't feel like the white people are particularly not racist, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm not like, oh nicer here.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're being serious right now? Yeah, oh okay, so okay.
Speaker 2: So granted a lot of our education, and I'm willing to admit that a lot that we learned, we also have to just sort of analyze. Yes, I've learned a lot about the idea of Boston based on Yeah, based on ninth n information.
Speaker 4: And what I see on TV things.
Speaker 2: I was just led to believe that, like that Boston was more akin to like what benson Hurst eighty nine was. There's certain places that you don't go, and I was just taught earlier you don't go to Boston.
Speaker 1: I was just taught that.
Speaker 8: I just feel like, yeah, to some degree, is very territorial in that way, and like it was SOUTHI like where the white boys lived, and it was like you don't really need to be out as southeas America after a certain hour because they're over there drunk. I mean right right, big fact, it's like they're tumbling out of there drunk. And we all know white boys like to fight for no reason. They hit themselves in the heads with bottles and stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's just like you're doing it right now.
Speaker 8: It's like, Bro, you don't go over there like that. You know, there's really no business over there.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you just felt that, myth because literally any black person that I that I know that says I'm from Boston.
Speaker 1: Inside my head, I'm like life was you see it a.
Speaker 8: Lot exactly, so crazy time to understand what people think is happening. And it's like it's not like bro, it's like you and just like throwing yo.
Speaker 4: It's just like like nobody, dude, all I.
Speaker 1: Know Boston black people, bosses, guru, uh yeah, shot. But it's there's black Bostonians and it's a.
Speaker 8: Black bas it lives a black Boston culture. There's it's the city that's been black for a long time. I mean, Malcolm X started his first independent bost in Boston. Of Malcolm X Talks about all the dope ship that he saw in Boston when he went to Roxburg at Fort Hill and how the black people were living there and black dogs that was over there. I'm okay, had a crib in Boston, Like what are you talking?
Speaker 4: We needed to be minds have changed forever.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do mushrooms in Boston.
Speaker 2: No, I'm glad you just felled that myth because I was just taught to be afraid of Boston. But you know, I also agree that everything I was taught that I have to have.
Speaker 4: It is a very segregated city.
Speaker 8: The black people are where the black people are, Like we live in sirp or Dorchester, Roxbury, mad at Pam like the South then a little bit like yes, you know what, I'm Dorchester, so you know what I mean, Like yeah, and we parted when we party because like you know, just like a lot of like the city every city.
Speaker 1: Yeah else, did you go to Rochbury eleven pm tonight?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Especially now it's all gentrified.
Speaker 1: That nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 4: You're cyclipping on where I'm going? Where am I going? What's my purpose?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, that's my purpose? That's like.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 8: And so if you go to downtown and ship, you ain't gonna see us like that. There are a lot of like black clubs, No, because Boston is like white Atlanta, you know, likes wh It's where white people come to be there, white as self, you know what I mean. So I don't know, like it's you're not gonna.
Speaker 4: Get you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Right now, break wat that people.
Speaker 8: From Boston saying it all the touch Jason, This not on the original idea. We've all said this like it is though. It's like it's the last time I say it. It's like white Atlanta, Like I got it now, you know what I'm saying it. It's so you know when you call something white Atlanta, it's different, and it ain't like every town downtown is like they'll be like yo, no hats no timberla that type of ship, type of rules or whatever. If you could get into places it does that little bullshit. So then you know, niggas get to a point where's like I'm just party in my neighborhood or the old parties will go where I know I wanted because I'm not with the I don't want to go spend money and be harassed and ship, you know, so it is like yeah like that, like they'll tell you no hats and then let a white boy walk in with a hat in your face. Yes, Boston ship like that, because I think that's the ship that people have seen and been like, it's not That's what I'm I'm just kipping like it's a downtown thing.
Speaker 1: It's a white type. They'll do that type of maybe we just don't like the Celtics and.
Speaker 8: The entire I mean that we also got the busting late and that that would always look crazy on the city.
Speaker 1: When I read New Edition story images.
Speaker 8: And you that looks crazy, you know what I mean? There is context of some people's thank you saying also got to take his ls where it was wild. But I'm just saying, like I didn't grow up and it wasn't like God s my nigga. That wasn't happening to me. Like I went to school and it was fine and she was straight. I played with black kids outside.
Speaker 1: I wish I like John Williams inspirational music, like she really so Boston being in the place where white people go to be their whitest.
Speaker 4: That's it when you put it in the white Atlanta perspective. I said, I got it. I got it.
Speaker 1: They have a freak.
Speaker 4: It's called the marathon.
Speaker 1: I'm that was good episode, like a whole dude, Let's give it.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: Your presence is bringing out.
Speaker 8: But you are gonna definitely get some white man commented, Yeah, you're right, it's gonna be in them.
Speaker 4: This is why I can't stand here.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: I I feel like white people find this type of stuff to just get mad, Like would I be looking at like to Lib's comments.
Speaker 1: Why would you want to do that to yourself?
Speaker 4: It's fun for me. It's the funniest ship.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I have the best time.
Speaker 1: In case you're wondering, during the pandemic. During the pandemic, uh.
Speaker 2: While they were taking their episode of their podcast, the first thing that Most and Dave collectively asked him like, why would you want to subject yourself to like just going toe to toe with every comment.
Speaker 8: For every just that ca and not be good for I mean, you're making me laugh, bro, because people that the people that fights like I.
Speaker 1: Want to see really, I want to play really, but also like they.
Speaker 8: Clearly came here to fight, like like big, like long beer, like mountain looking white man. It's like it's not like they've been listening and this one disappointed them.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? They they you phraised club. It's almost online fight club. It's like you phrased it like that's one of your favorite pastimes. Like let me see what the.
Speaker 2: One time I seen the comments was like in five thousands, and it's like, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: It is incredible. I've gone down. Why not?
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, Like you can't. It's almost like impossible to believe. It's so And it just starts with one question. Whose many?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I'll be all the way down.
Speaker 1: You uh yeah, no more televion quality. I can't read the comments. Man, didn know me? Oh yeah, I do not ever recover. That's a lot.
Speaker 4: Oh you go crazy, y'all messed up?
Speaker 1: Man, people thousands you read the comments like you read the comments.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, y'all. I still get like twelve, So yeah, I can. I can read my comments like one.
Speaker 3: I say.
Speaker 8: I will say, like on a on a post for a show like come to the show. I'll read my comments. If someone's like, yo, what about d C? If I have a day in DC, I'll be like, yo, I'll be in DC this day. I'll gauge on that. But like if it's just like my face or something, there's no service here, there's no purpose. But as many of those that come, it's gonna be like stupid, ugly bitch, and it's like I gotta go through one of those to get to a we love you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just leave the whole ship alone.
Speaker 1: You don't have to engage with all that ship. Yeah, you get one swipees worth. That's the rule. That's one and you're done. That's it.
Speaker 4: Man, commenters, y'all be the things rolling up them numbers.
Speaker 2: I'm just under the impression that if things go good, I mean, if I have a really good meal, my first thought isn't let me go and yell, yelp and rave about it. There might be I might realize like my power and like I want to elevate a business and be like yo, man, these you know, these croissants are off the hook, and you know I'll I'll do that. But I'm just d the impression that if things go good, you know, then no one's gonna really comment about it. But if things are bad or people just in a bad mood. That's what yelp and commons.
Speaker 4: Receive.
Speaker 8: So it's like, so I don't like almost.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which I was three seconds away.
Speaker 2: I had a very rotten experience at one particular amusement park I went to a month ago.
Speaker 1: If it was only try to guess about right the clu the clue should be.
Speaker 2: I don't want to stop the bag because I won't say their name, but I will notice that as as an avid local amusement park person, like when I'm on the road, whatever, I have the day off, I'm going to you know, this particular amusement park is not plus size friendly. No, Disney has finally made the adjustment this year where they now have certain rides I couldn't ride before.
Speaker 4: They're not booty friendly.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're not at all. They're literally not, but Disney made that adjustment. So shut out to Disney.
Speaker 8: So when I talk about Disney, what I love Disney, Right, you need to.
Speaker 1: Go to Booty Land. They're all set up.
Speaker 6: I too, went to an a music part of my family like a month ago, and like it was great, you know what I'm saying, But it was my first time being there like twenty five years, right, So like my last time there.
Speaker 1: I was a senior in high school. And now you know clearly your dad, I did my last last year.
Speaker 4: I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 1: I can't go.
Speaker 4: I'm done.
Speaker 1: I can drugs. I did I do the roller show? My boys? I still got I don't know. But at the end of it, you like, no, it was great. I did. How good was the nap after you left? It was? It was great because I mean it was the day of walking, like I think I got, like.
Speaker 10: Yeah, right, people, you calculate your steps. I do it too so no, I do it too close close ring. I'm not mad about it. I just want to acknowledge it. If you're over the age of forty, you better be don't have many.
Speaker 1: Rings, I will say. The only reason why that trip wasn't a bust to close the rings. No, you always got to close the ring.
Speaker 4: You know you're younger, she's younger. Wait, because then it was what.
Speaker 8: I keep saying that I was, like, you are over, Yeah, I'm forty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's she's born this same she's born right before thriller.
Speaker 4: We could talk about Saturday morning cartoons.
Speaker 7: Okay, well also okay, yeah, anyway, what then happened the amusement park.
Speaker 1: Like the rides are not they're not made for men of husk.
Speaker 6: But and honestly, for me, it's just one of those things where it's like, I mean, it was rides I rolled, but like for me, it was just the thing of like, yo, do I really want them? Do I really want this to be inclusive? Like do I really want something that I could continually lose my life on?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, like, I'm cool.
Speaker 4: Up in the air.
Speaker 6: It's like, Bro, it's not about it's at that point, it's not about it's about physics.
Speaker 4: It's like, why up there? Bro, that's what you're saying. Should you be up there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's just like, bro, it's like if I can't make whatever standards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, please take me. So I could go on and list.
Speaker 1: It's cool, my nigga. I can just go to tea Cups or whatever, funnel cake and just do whatever.
Speaker 6: Facts me, just do the fat you know, wait.
Speaker 1: This is all right.
Speaker 2: I As as we slowly start to wrap this episode up, I'm realizing that we are six individuals that have issues with not being in control.
Speaker 1: Thank you, not just me, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 4: How that happens.
Speaker 2: Wait, look what drugs do I was going to say and Steve, but Steve is like our resident we had and see hasn't said a damn word. This actually might be an awesome day because I've not gotten any notes from Brittany or nor cousin Jake.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, do you guys have microphone access in there in that room? You want you want today? You want the drugs to cousin Jake? You know what you want? Something control?
Speaker 2: Like all right for those that don't know, our parents are in the other room, Brittany and Jake, And usually I'll get a note like guys, let's wrap this up, please off the rails. Yeah, but we're doing fine, Like no one from Iheart's gonna one sister wrap up.
Speaker 4: We had so much fun last year.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask them about music.
Speaker 4: I will want to if I'm off, I am going to yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah, yeah, we'd like to have you. What's what's coming? Okay? What's next for you? Is it more shows? Is it more TV stuff?
Speaker 8: Like I'm about to film my second special where June in Brooklyn at Brooklyn Steel June seventeenth. I'm super excited.
Speaker 4: Your manifestation must be high because you seem like you get what you want, you know what.
Speaker 8: I just want to keep being able to do comedy and be funny and create things. And as long as that like keep coming to me, I think I'll be okay, you know. So I'm just excited about it like that, just like, uh, got a couple shows and working on two different networks and.
Speaker 1: Are allowed to shows.
Speaker 8: They really they are like working names in progress. Well I don't think so okay, yeah, And I'm just you know, trying to sleep more and uh my mind and body and stuff right, and you know, just trying to connect with that part of myself more. I feel like I was running, you know, trying to lay down so much groundwork and ship and I'm like, I got a little breathing room.
Speaker 4: You gotta also take care of yourself.
Speaker 8: Just trying to find that balance, you know that work life balance and ship and.
Speaker 4: Just you know, doing what I do.
Speaker 2: That's all you can do and we appreciate that. Wait, before I wrap up, what was your first musical memory?
Speaker 1: I do like that.
Speaker 4: That's usually our first question. Sam, That's what he does.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how much of this that one hold on, can you just play mine? Since we're here? What do you gotta say? Sam? Random bru I like cheese? No, Where did your parents just come from? Where did your parents just come from? Oh? Jamaica? Great? My favorite party. Here we go around? Mother? Why you just faded it? Ship? Yes, a lot of.
Speaker 4: All, Sam.
Speaker 8: The reason I'm so excited is because Amir hasn't played these things that Fante created five years ago in about three years, so it's but made.
Speaker 1: Mother is still Jamaica anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, Steve and I have to report back to work before we get in trouble.
Speaker 1: What are we doing? John? This is awesome? Thank you, Sam, I appreciate you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: This was really nice.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate it all right. Well on behalf of the team straight lace Bill.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: Yo the way that.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait, we have thank and Sam, because this is the reason that well, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Always wanted to hear it, but yes made.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thanks and Sugar, Steve, and and and and Mom and Dad, Britt and and and Jake. Wait, Jay can't be dad and cousin Jake at the same time, I think, all right.
Speaker 4: To your father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We'll see you next time. Jake, He's a cuss. Goodbye people, see you next next week. Goodbye. What's Up? Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.