Speaker 1: The volume TD Tuddy taking it to the house reservations for six. Whatever you call it, touchdown, one thing's for sure. Touchdowns matter more at Draft Kings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NFL. On the ground, in the air, from the special teams or the defense, we don't care how you score them. We want to bet on touchdowns, and at Draft Kings Sportsbook is the number one place to bet touchdowns. Ready to place your first NFL bet, try something as simple as betting on a player to score touchdown. Go to Draft Kings Sportsbook app and make your bet today. Ready to do your touchdown dance of your own. New Draft King customers can bet five bucks and get two hundred and fifty instantly in bonus best and get one month free of NFL Plus Premium. Download the Draft Kings sports app. Use code Shannon. That's code Shannon for new customers to get two hundred and fifty in bonus best when you bet just five books and get one month free of NFL Plus Premium only on Draft Kings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is.
Speaker 3: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and WY or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See DKNNG dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: Great you spent I think, well, all of but one year of your NFL career here in Houston. What does it mean to you to get drafted by this franchise and be considered when they think of the short list of the greatest players to ever play in the Houston Texans uniform?
Speaker 2: Your name is the first name to get brought up. Man.
Speaker 4: I always tell a story about when I went to my first Pro Bowl, the guy. It was some guy he worked with the NFL and he was like, who the hell is here from the Houston Texans. And that's something that always stuck with me. And I put that chip on my shoulder and I was like, shit, I'm.
Speaker 2: Making people respect us, you know.
Speaker 4: And that was the way I played. That was just the way I carried myself. And you know, to I have this Hall of Fame thing happened. It wasn't just for me, man, it was about this whole city.
Speaker 1: So the actual first player for in the Houston Texans to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: What did that?
Speaker 1: When you got the call and it says they knock on the door, Andre Johnson, Welcome to Football Heaven.
Speaker 2: You've been selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I mean, Shannon, you you've had that knock, you know.
Speaker 4: So I don't think words can really describe it, if you like, I had to take a moment to literally go sit on my couch, you know, and I have my hands in my head and I just, you know, to be it's been over thirty thousand guys to play this game. It's only three hundred, and it's seventy eight people in the Hall of Fame. That's one that's not even one percent that's correct to be mentioned with that.
Speaker 2: Man. That's that's it's special. It's special.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna lie, man, just having you here and enjoy this with you. Man, appreciate a lot of people, A lot of people really don't know.
Speaker 2: Man, how far we go back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, way way back, way back. By the fact.
Speaker 6: So the funny thing about it, for those of you that don't know, Dre and I used to train in off season. You know, during our day when we were playing me Tanne Man, uh Tonyo Brown, crazy ass? Who else we had that there, man, a lot of us, so you know we did.
Speaker 5: It was a certain connection that we all kept like we was family.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Obviously we all played on different teams, but everybody from that area, we all we all got got back together and we always ship worked our ass off in all season. Man, and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: It's it's someone that has always looked up to you, even from Afar during the times we're also close.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm proud of you. I'm really proud of you.
Speaker 2: Drey.
Speaker 1: You had some unbelievable games in the Hall of Fame. The first Houston take some player ever selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But I'm pretty sure they showed on your highlight clip that fight.
Speaker 2: I forgot that was coming.
Speaker 1: I had only met I had only met you once. I came here early in your career and uh way, as a matter of fact, I think I think Cool Cool was the coach. He was the coach, and you were very quiet, and you're still quite quiet, and I remember that happening, and I'm like, what did this man say.
Speaker 2: To get him? He don't even talk, let alone fight?
Speaker 1: What what did he say to get you?
Speaker 2: Sold? Like you like ef it?
Speaker 1: I'm in Liberty City right now, I'm swinging ropa.
Speaker 2: It had been going on for about three years. Damn you let it build up that long. Yeah. Yeah, it had been going on for about three years.
Speaker 4: Man. I never shared this story, and nobody broke because we all night cap up and give it.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, now what I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: Let me go, So, Chad, you remember club play old Chrystal. Yeah, so, man, this is no lie. Like they're driving up to the club. It's my little brother and Rudy. My brother's sitting in the passing passenger seat. Rudy's in the back seat and Bro I'm pulling up in Valet and they jump out the car while the cars moving, and I'm like, what the hell y'all doing? They was like, there you go. So I'm like, what are y'all talking about? Is Courtland? He's standing at the front door of the club. I didn't even see him. They wanted to get on him right then, and I'm like, nah, like, we're not doing that, you know what I'm saying. So that happened like a year prior. So I don't know, man, Like we was up twenty to nothing and I told but I was like, hey, man, I'm finna beat his ass. Normally, coach called plays for the player, the player called to play.
Speaker 1: Coach, I'm gonna beat his ass on one ready to break.
Speaker 4: So that was just that was just it, man Like, I just had enough of, you know, the stuff he was doing. So so it was mainly chief shots, not so much talking. It was the cheap thing talking. You could talk all day. I don't give it damn by talking, but it was the cheap things he would do after plays.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, y'all cool, Now, y'all cool, Now, y'all, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I ain't never seen I seen him one time since that whole situation, so I don't.
Speaker 2: But after that he a chief shot you no more. No, I ain't gonna do that.
Speaker 5: I don't coach.
Speaker 6: Obviously, you've been around the game of football for a very long time. For those that are on the outside looking in, I don't think they understand how special a season that was for you to have. Obviously you understand the difficulty when you draft the rookie quarterback and understanding you have a program that is trying to build itself back to winning consistently and to be able to have a successful season, obviously not winning a championship, but still having a successful season, knowing that you can build off of that. Do you understand how great your season was last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I do understand it all. Like it all starts with the like you said, the rookie quarterback. Everybody now they expect rookies to come in and just ball out from the start. That doesn't happen, like especially at the quarterback position. You got to have a special, special person to do that. And you know, we were fortunate enough to get CJ at number two, and this kid is special.
Speaker 5: Yes, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 8: You know, he's fun to work with, but and he didn't start off that way like we didn't. We started off with a rough season, like we had to go through some growing pains, and he learned a lot, Our team learned a lot of how we had to play to win games, and that that growth process throughout the season that made it even more special to know we didn't just come out just beating people. And I told our guys too, you know, we talk about how special of a season it was.
Speaker 2: You look up.
Speaker 8: We had I think it was ten games that were in the last minute of the game, we were right in the game, and I think we won seven with those ten in the last minute of the game. So that just shows the margin for era in this league. It's still tight even though it's a great season. But man, I tell our guys, you gotta you have to work hard, you gotta grind those wins, and you gotta be smart in those situational moments to close games out.
Speaker 6: There was an issue obviously with Brian Brian Florey as in tour and the way he talked to him obviously.
Speaker 5: Rubb two the wrong way.
Speaker 6: And I just want to know how do you navigate being able to coach certain players certain ways?
Speaker 5: And how do you approach it?
Speaker 6: Because you can coach some players you can coach hard, you know you understand those of the build.
Speaker 5: Like that, you can coach them a little harder. Some of them you got to pat him on the back and guide them. How have you been able to do that with your which players?
Speaker 2: With it?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: It's a great question, right.
Speaker 8: I was just talking to one of my coaches about that earlier today. Man, you have to have a relationship with guys. Like, if you don't have a relationship with guys and you don't know how that guy's gonna respond. Right, some guys I could coach hard. Some guys I know, like, Man, I can't get it out of him, But I don't need to go as hard with him. I just got to tell him, Hey, man, you're doing a great job. Hey, keep it going, young fella. We're gonna get there. But if you don't establish that relationship outside of football, like you just got to sit down, You gotta eat with guys, You gotta meet with guys, just talk to them one on one, like what's going on outside of football, so you can really get to know that young man, and what's going on in is life like that's how you are able to relate to guys and coach like now, once you get that relationship, I can coach them up hard, right, But everybody you can't coach hard.
Speaker 2: Everybody don't need.
Speaker 8: Hard coach it. But as a coach, it's our job, right. And that's one I learned about coaching. I thought, man, when I finished playing, I thought I was gonna hop in like, hey, Kyle, I can come coaching linebackers right now. But that's what I learned when I was in San France. I truly learned, like, man, you got every guy is different.
Speaker 2: How do you teach every guy? Right?
Speaker 8: Every guy learns different, every guy you gotta explain things differently and they pick it up different. So for me, that's where I learned, like, man, you have to be adaptable as a coach, right, but you gotta know these guys outside of football, you.
Speaker 2: Know, go ahead give it up to.
Speaker 1: A lot of times, sometimes coaches try to hide hard coaching behind disrespect. It's like, if I'm working for you, I want you to coach mehall and I want you to say what.
Speaker 2: I'm doing wrong.
Speaker 1: But there's a very very fine line between hard coaching and disrespect. Now, you guys have to understand, that's a grown man. You're talking to this in college. He's not trying to get to the NFL. He's already here. He's not in high school trying to get the knowledge. So those guys you can coach, you can coach. I mean, when we grew up, coaches custas.
Speaker 5: Out all kind of that.
Speaker 1: You do that, now you're going to turn to got off for the guy might want to fight you.
Speaker 2: He might want to fight you, or he might just leave. You know.
Speaker 8: It's just it's a different, different era. And I never like try to cross the lines of cursing guys out. I feel like if I have to curse you out, like I got the wrong guy correct first off, right, I don't. We don't have time for that. Like we're men, we're working together, and I tell our guys my first meeting is like, this is what you can expect from our coaches.
Speaker 2: Our coach is going to be respectful.
Speaker 8: They're going to tell you the truth, and they're going to coach everybody in his room, right because they care your success is their success. So we have to find that common ground to work together for us all to be successful.
Speaker 1: Party a calf of your ass coach, Brian, if you were to head, if you could, if you could choose as a head coach, would you be the head coach or the general manager of the charge.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do pros. I love college. I will never do pros.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: I don't believe that that's the line.
Speaker 5: I don't believe that. Prime.
Speaker 6: You you're a very Listen to me, stay with me, baby. You are the very person who had a song called must be the Money.
Speaker 2: And I'm straight and I'm straight.
Speaker 6: And if they show you, if they show you that money over there in l A, guess where we're gonna be at.
Speaker 7: Notice, I said, we guess where we're gonna be at.
Speaker 9: I'm so glad you said that. So let me address this one thing at a time. Must be the money was a testimony. I wasn't bragging about the money. I was saying, must be the money that's turning y'all on. I said, diamond Rolex gators on my feet. I got a pair every day of the week. My han's done my finger. There's two six bundions down.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 9: I was saying, y'all changed, right, right, you must be the money now.
Speaker 7: Secondly, I'm straight, come on about it.
Speaker 2: Everything I need.
Speaker 9: Man, I'm having the time of my life Colorado. I love the kids that I get, the coach, I love the recruiting process.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 9: And I like the purity of the young men, you know. I like the the sensitivities, and I like all of and the amateurism of it, even though it's turning to pros because everybody want a bag now. But I would have a hard time in the locker room with a guy that's making a multitude of millions and he don't want to play. I don't want to give this all. I will have a problem with that. Chad a real problem with that. And you know we had teachers like.
Speaker 5: I didn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I've been trying to tell he ain't ever played with nobody.
Speaker 2: He just didn't want to see it.
Speaker 7: Wait, they just played for the money, played for the money, just didn't want to play it.
Speaker 9: I really want to give it. They all just want to want to play. They had a lot of talent and they didn't. They just messing around.
Speaker 7: Well, I will mess it around by doing things off the field on the just don't want to do right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, see, I ain't paying attention like that, Honestly, I ain't gonna lie, ain't gonna lie to you.
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna lie to you.
Speaker 2: And I don't want you in l A. You can't be in l A.
Speaker 9: First of all l A and l A first of all, l A too expensive for me.
Speaker 2: You know how she am.
Speaker 9: I'm not getting the house.
Speaker 2: I don't like you. I don't like.
Speaker 6: I want I'm trying to get closer to Shannon so he could take you. I want to see, don't.
Speaker 2: Want closer to him. You haven't got that hit.
Speaker 9: I don't if he ever invited you anywhere California, text message.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I meet you somewhere.
Speaker 9: If you get there, then he's gonna be basically from getting there east.
Speaker 5: In there right right right.
Speaker 2: That's who he is. You ain't know who he is. He don't want us death.
Speaker 7: First of all, he needed to get his back in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: That's what you need to do. Oh yeah, I don't want I don't.
Speaker 7: You said you were taking me to the to the place with the booty.
Speaker 9: Juice magic going there first ball. Second all you still got it. You still got your house there. Yeah, you got a house that you don't invite nobody and they don't let nobody use it.
Speaker 2: That's selfish. That's why I called him selfish.
Speaker 7: All that he's selfish. Hey can I can I use it for an airb I talk.
Speaker 1: I taught the match IgE. They come on the magic. First of all, Magic is a hero, a national treasure. Let's get there, right magic, Magic can't one of the games still looking good?
Speaker 2: Still fly? Magic? You still match? You talking about it?
Speaker 9: Somebody that should have a movie, a documentary done?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, Magic, change that bad life. It just talk game.
Speaker 7: I mean magic, this this, this taught your game and all that.
Speaker 2: Man, I love Madge.
Speaker 6: You know when you when you talk about quarterbacks, we understand how important that position is obviously in order to sustain a consistent success for any team. If you look at the top teams in the NFL, it always come down to the quarterback position. Is there is there a disconnect in any way with the quarterbacks competing with each other on a standing, The pressures that are on Kirk Cousins if he doesn't play well that in jobs in jeopardy.
Speaker 10: I think I think the message was clear coming in. It was open, It was honest, it was clear. Kurtas started, Kurt's gonna take us to places that we want to go to, and Michael's going to come in and he's going to watch what it looks like, what it feels like. He want to see what it looked like when you had your quarterbacks and your day with John Lway.
Speaker 2: You want to see what it looked like.
Speaker 10: You ain't having no quarterbacks, but it would looked like to go out there.
Speaker 1: You won super Bowls at two different stops. You've been an assistant on a lot of different head coaches. What is the common nominator between winning and losing?
Speaker 2: The people?
Speaker 10: It's the people first business and everything we do. When you were a Raven, I watched it live in hand. I came into that stadium and I watched the confidence and the people. I watched Ray Lewis talk smack. I watched you talk smack, and we went in there like man, we about to beat him. And then y'all let us know after the game that y'all wasn't It was the people that was involved with the organizations. It was all about that, and here we're building a people first business. And we're doing it with us, We're doing our people with our fans, and like, I just think that's just the messaging. Like you got to have that type of mentality. It's got to be a people first mentality. It has to be at all times in everything we do. We're talking about with the fans, we're talking about with our community, we're talking about in the building, we're talking about with myself and Terry Finn on our relationship Art the blank and how he communicates with everybody, how we go about our whole process.
Speaker 2: It's it's the people. It's simple. Obviously, you had other opportunities.
Speaker 1: How do you convince coaches that look like you that don't feel like that opportunity is ever gonna come Because you had to think about it. There are a fifteen year gap between the time that you were a head coach into it that you got it again and you had interviews and did you ever think, like, man, I don't know if I'm will ever get another chance to be a head coach again. Say you're ready to say this, It's real simple for me, right, I was a thirty two year old.
Speaker 2: Head coach.
Speaker 10: And I did it again, and people were telling me you should have had it a long time ago. I don't give a damn what you people were saying. I'm gonna work for it. I'm gonna go get it, and when it happens, I'm gonna be ready. So I'm gonna I'm gonna keep developing my skill set that when it happens again, there's gonna be no denying on what you can and how you're gonna be able to do it and go about your business. And I don't give it damn what color I am?
Speaker 2: Yeah, results don't know color like it? Like it.
Speaker 1: You look at what you've done. You got Grady Jarrett, you bring him back. You signed Justin Simmons, you signed Matthew Judon, You just gave AJ Terrell boatload of money you secure lock him up. I drafted him too, don't forget you did. You did draft him. So what is the expectations of this defense? Considering you've got guys that have been Pro Bowls, that have been to the All Pro. AJ Terrell is one of the better young corners in the league, and we know Geredy Jared is one of the outstanding the defensive lineman in the league.
Speaker 2: What is the expectation that's your area of experts piece.
Speaker 10: As you know, as you know, it's really simple, right, stats are for losers, Yes, their expectations that go out there and beat dogs. Right, we gotta find ways to affect the quarterback and make them just feel uncomfortable at all times. And once you find a way to make them uncomfortable and you dominate rundowns and you get the ball back, then just.
Speaker 2: Go watch your offense shine. Right.
Speaker 10: That's what winning teams do. That's how you form your identity. That's how you make things move. That's how the needle moves. And the next thing you talking about it on.
Speaker 7: Your shows about the stats.
Speaker 10: We don't care about none of that. We care about the dog mentality is going to take to get there. That's what our that's what our goal is. That's what that's that's what the expectations are.
Speaker 5: If I'm gunn to be what's up?
Speaker 7: What's up?
Speaker 2: Trying to get comfortable or you're good? I'm good? All right? Tell us about the transition to becoming a cowboy crazy. What's it been like? It's different? You know, football is crazy out here.
Speaker 11: You know, I hear about Texas football and kept California, right, there's good football out there, but you know, footballs is different in Texas for sure, a little bit, a little bit more you know, a little bit more pressure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Play for the Vikings Seahawks. If I'm not mistaken, I played for the Chargers. You're reunited with Zim, right, So what so how have been reunited with a former coach? Because obviously you know this defense, and so you've been able to partake some of the wisdom, the keys and where guys need to be, what Zim is looking for in a particular defense. So tell us about somewhat being a coach on the field. Yeah, you know, I feel like at first, you know, we're all trying to learn.
Speaker 2: The basics, you know.
Speaker 11: I mean, obviously I have a little bit of a head start, but everybody's learning the basics. You know, we're trying to get the concepts down. They kind of carry over the different coverages. You know, we can run split coverages things like that. But you know, I feel like with Zim's defense is always about, like, you know, the players taking a little bit of ownership too, you know what I mean, we have to be at we're the ones that are quarterbacking and out there. So you know, at some point, you know, we got to be the one making the calls and checks and be confident in when we're doing so. And I feel like, now that's you know, we obviously we're in camp for a month and stuff like that, but now we're transitioning. We're about to play this first game, and I feel like now we're starting to transition into having that confidence where everybody's kind of like, Okay, we're running this now, let's run this now, you know. So it's been a lot of fun, and you know, obviously we have a different pieces than I had in Minnesota, but you know, the heart of the the heart of the the scheme is the same.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Listen, Zim was the defensive coordinator of Cincinnati when I was there, So Zim is really cool.
Speaker 5: He cursed the goddamn lot. You curse a lot.
Speaker 6: But what is your expectations, your personal goals for you throughout this season or this upcoming season? Your own personal goals.
Speaker 11: My personal goals is to be, you know, the just the voice that everyone can count on, you know, the just the you know, the constant communicator, you know, be overdoing my communication to the fact that we're all on the same page.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 11: I want to definitely be the anchor, right, but shoot, you know, I just want to just keep stacking these years. I feel like, you know, one hundred plus, you know, three in something. You know, I don't want to, you know, get too specific. I write him down and everything like that. But you know, I want to win a Super Bowl, man. You know, that's why you play. You know, it's it's cliche, but you know my brother won one. I got kind of close, but you know, not really, you know, so I want to I want to get it. I want to get it going.
Speaker 1: Right obviously, Like you played this game a long time, and they're always surprises that when you come in there's a rookie that comes in that stands out.
Speaker 2: You're like, okay, be at offense or defense.
Speaker 1: You like, he can play, and he's gonna play well, he's gonna make plays for us, and he's gonna be big for us. Who surprised you in this rookie class that you're like, okay, be at offense or defense that he can play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: One of my linebackers, Noil Marris, you know's a kid from Hawaii.
Speaker 2: You know what's notre dame.
Speaker 11: I think I don't know which ROWND he got drafted, you know, I don't kind of disconnect myself from that.
Speaker 2: But he came in.
Speaker 11: You know, he's obviously learning. He's very humble, kid, quiet, but he knows his role, you know what I mean. He's been getting more and more, more and more burn. You know, we had a couple of guys go down to camp and he had to step up and rolls where he you know, he had to be more of a communicator, you know, more of a guy who was out there and he's he's done. He's done a great job. You know, I just it gives me a little It gives me passion, you know, going into my tenth season, you know, seeing a guy in his first year and how he's trying to get it, and it just makes me, you know, it makes me get that hunger still alive, you know.
Speaker 1: H