Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to Pod meets World. In case you are not aware, we've just spent we're nearing twenty four hours in the Boy Meets World House. The beautiful exterior at the Matthew's house. We had a we had a bunch of guests that came through. We just finished a delicious breakfast, if I do say so myself, writer made his ugly croissants.
Speaker 2: Ugly croissants.
Speaker 1: Boy are they tasty? I know they're not that ugly. They turned out really great. And you said they needed to be sweeter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit sweeter. What did you put out? What do you put on them to make them sweet? Is it honey?
Speaker 3: No, it's usually it's just in the recipe. I do brown sugar, but for some reason, it just didn't taste the balance. It's always like the salt of sweet. Balance is the key. And I've definitely messed up and made these with salted butter, which is like a disaster. Really do you want to be able to control the salt by doing more.
Speaker 2: Salt than sweet? In general?
Speaker 3: I agree with you, but it's a balance thing, you know, And like, for whatever reason, I think that when you do brown sugar, you're supposed to pack it into like the measuring cup, and maybe I just didn't pack it enough so it didn't like, Yeah, you didn't have as.
Speaker 2: Much wonderful eggs, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I made some eggs. I forgot the avocado you pointed out to me. I know, I did think what's missing? And it was avocado.
Speaker 4: I tomatoes be pointed that out.
Speaker 1: Right, you did. Yeah, I don't. I don't love tomatoes. I just put them in there for color, fair enough, truly, it's just a visual thing. Otherwise the eggs are yellow and green. Only there's green and spores and cheese and eggs. And you were on toast and turkey bacon. You were going to make pancakes. I was, but it was a lot going.
Speaker 4: On, herbs and a lot of stuff going on. So yeah, we just we went from there.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome to pod meets World. I'm Daniel Fishl.
Speaker 4: I'm rather strong, and I'm will for Doe.
Speaker 2: So what did you guys think about spending the night? How did you sleep? Which bedroom did you sleep in? You did sleep inside the house? Right, yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's good. I'm glad you didn't have to sleep in the cold outside. Although with these flannel pajamas. It probably would have been totally fine.
Speaker 4: I've been cooking internally since yesterday.
Speaker 2: I have a secret.
Speaker 1: I didn't sleep in the flannel pad. I brought other pajamas. I changed in chump because I knew when I knew. Second, did you go okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was very warm on that lone.
Speaker 2: I sleep in a room that's sixty five degrees and this house sixty two.
Speaker 1: Oh, sixty to sixty two and a fan. We have a fan as well. Yes, just keep a fan.
Speaker 4: Yep, keep the air moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this house, while air conditioned, was not cold enough.
Speaker 4: No agreed.
Speaker 2: And flannel was it going to be a no go for me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I also brought my own pillow.
Speaker 1: I didn't trust the pillows here, and so I brought my pillow cube and I slept great pillow cube.
Speaker 2: Nice? Was that the gold thing that you have? A gold pillowcase? Pillowcase?
Speaker 1: Thank you for noticing it's a golden It's a gold silk pillowcase with a pillow princes.
Speaker 2: I take sleep very seriously, I should say so.
Speaker 5: One thing I noticed last night was the neighbor got pissed at two o'clock in the morning when I went over and knocked on the door and asked for advice.
Speaker 2: Well that it was.
Speaker 5: Some strange lady going, who were you get off my lawn?
Speaker 2: I was like, but I need advice? It was doing a feenie car I did. I just yelled when no one's around, yes, so that we all saw that. That was my bad. Sorry. What was your highlight of the time here? Would you say? I like being in the tent talking about sleepovers. That was really funny.
Speaker 1: I know that was fun we were We did talk about whether or not we should do a Scary Stories episode, and we didn't.
Speaker 2: You guys don't have scary story.
Speaker 5: I don't like talking like real, like something that actually happened in your life, or like and then it was ganger.
Speaker 2: I mean, are you talking about like ghost stories? I mean I like to combine in the two. Okay, what you do is you you know you want to? I mean, like ghost.
Speaker 3: Stories are supposed to be they have like a pattern to them.
Speaker 2: A scary story. I don't believe in ghosts. So you there's nothing in your life?
Speaker 5: Is there anything in your life that's made you think something just happened to me that was supernatural?
Speaker 2: I can tell you stories, but nothing real because you don't buy.
Speaker 3: It, because nothing supernatural can happen in life.
Speaker 2: So you just have you met a ghost or seen a ghost?
Speaker 5: To talk to a ghost not a fart knocker.
Speaker 1: Still I'm not sure. Still I'm on the fence. No, I've never seen a ghost or talk to a ghost.
Speaker 4: Me neither. But it doesn't mean they're not real.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not a ghost believer, but not either. Frankly, Yeah, no, I.
Speaker 3: Know none of I think most people aren't, but they still like to leave a trap door open. Sure, But I just love storytelling and I love horror stuff, and I love like the idea of ghosts I think is one of, like one of the most powerful ideas. Like you know, it's like all it's like all myths and legends, and they're they're very important. They're like, you know, ways that we process and tell stories to like understand the world around us.
Speaker 2: So I love them. I just don't believe the time. I have a question for you.
Speaker 5: So you loved horror and that kind of hell genre, I think are you a horror fan?
Speaker 2: The same thing?
Speaker 5: Was there ever a character from a horror story that really scared the hell out of you. Like for me as a kid, Freddy Krueger scared the hell out of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean like one of those if we had done scary stories, I would have probably uh, you know, I've memorized all the scary stories of Telling the Dark, which is.
Speaker 2: Like everybody's favorite, and I.
Speaker 3: Was obsessed with it when I was a kid, like starting from the age of six or seven, and my parents had an audio tape of it and.
Speaker 2: Are you doing it okay?
Speaker 3: And it is the most you can look it up on YouTube. I've done this before. It still chills me to the bone.
Speaker 2: This guy he reads it like this.
Speaker 3: And then there's like all this music to like intensify the stories. And I would sit in bed at night listening on headphones and then not being able to sleep, and do it again the next night, and again the next night and to this day. If I am up in my childhood bedroom, which my parents are you know, converted into like a guest room that sometimes we'll stay in there, and if I start if I wake up in the middle of the night and I start thinking about some of these stories, I start getting freaked out still, and I'm like this is so great.
Speaker 5: It's like, it's like it's so deep that whereas I think you and I think the same thing. Anything that messes with eating or sleeping, I'm not a fan of. No.
Speaker 2: I like feeling alive, you know, and I feel like, you know, I'm feeling dead.
Speaker 3: As you get older, you get so jaded, you know, and like the any emotion, whether it's sadness or you know.
Speaker 2: That's why I like sad movies. I like scary movies.
Speaker 3: I like movies that really like just make you feel something the movie in any way. And horror is you know, like comedy, it's it's almost physical, right. You elicit laughter, you elicit chills and fears, and I just find that so powerful that art can give you that sensation. And horrors it's almost it's the easiest thing to do in some ways, right, it's to like manipulate an audience to jump, scare or whatever. And so what you do with that power as a storyteller is the most fascinating question to me. It's like, because horror is the great metaphor, right, Like if you're scared of a monster, like what is that monster? And it's so it's it's so metaphorical that it's almost not metaphorical anymore, you know, It's like and so when a movie like obviously get Out can take the tropes of a horror film and then rise it to this level of like you seen it, it's scary, it's actually, well I don't think it's that scary.
Speaker 2: It's more funny. Actually, I mean it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Walking this incredible balance between comedy and horror, which.
Speaker 2: Is kind of the sweet spot too. How many of these stories do you have memorized?
Speaker 3: Would you say, from scary stories, I could probably tell them all.
Speaker 2: Really, and so how many? Is that the first book?
Speaker 3: There's also more scary stories the Shark, and like probably another one after that. So I only read the first two, but the first one because I listened to this tape. You know, there's like songs. I probably like ten of them.
Speaker 2: I could probably And how long are each one?
Speaker 1: Cause I'm trying to think, like if you have them, because I love this idea of having them ready to go, because I definitely want to take my kids camping.
Speaker 2: Both my kids like scary stuff. I love the idea of being.
Speaker 1: Able to and with your voice make something really great and like get off of screens. I love all that, But after you've told the eight stories you have memorized, do you just keep retelling the same stories after everybody's heard them.
Speaker 3: You got to and you also have to change them and make them.
Speaker 2: You cannot just like read as sure.
Speaker 3: I mean you could, you could do that, but like the best part of storytelling is like, you know, like if we had done stories last night, I would I would have just started telling you guys about something that happened to me when I was a kid, and just you just go right into it and then it starts falling into a sort of scary story pattern where.
Speaker 2: It's like and then the voice said this, or then the phone rang again, or you know, and you have these like.
Speaker 3: And then you'll like, you know, and that's what I always you know, So like I take the scary stories to tell in the dark. Like my favorite one is this one called me ty Dodie Walker, which is like, you know, this classic, it's I think it's like the third story in the in the book, so everyone will know it.
Speaker 2: But like rather than you know, it's like it's a.
Speaker 3: Boy who's staying in a house because there's a there's a story about this house that's haunted and he's going to stay the night there.
Speaker 2: With his dog. Every boy meets World house, right, But you don't start it that way. You started as like I had this neighbor the artwork from the Alvin Schwartz, I'm like, God.
Speaker 3: Is that teep tap Tody or whoever you're just talking to that's the head that comes down the chimney at the end of the story.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing is that most of the scary story is the best scary stories. They they're really about building tension and like just building to like a jump scare, you know. So it's like you repeat, there's like a repetitive pattern. So you start like.
Speaker 2: Then they just heard this, and then it.
Speaker 3: Gets a little louder and a little closer and and you you know, and if you're telling this around a campfire and a tent, like everyone, just get the tensions building. And then you know, at the end of me ty Doddy Walker, which is the refrain in met Ty Dooty, was just that saying.
Speaker 2: So you're like, off in the distance, you heard me walk, and then.
Speaker 3: Like the dog starts responding to God.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's the grist.
Speaker 3: That's why that story is so scary because the boy brings his dog to like sleep with him at this house, and the dog's supposed to protect him, but the dog turns on him and starts answering.
Speaker 2: The ghosts in the woods.
Speaker 3: So then the ghost keeps getting closer and he can't shut his dog up, and this dog is like.
Speaker 2: Responding. It's so fun anyway, But then you get to the thing and you really get the head came down the chimney, and then what you do is you turn to the person and say, and it grabbed you. You know, it's always about making somebody. Yeah, so fun. Yeah, we should have done it. We should have done We've talked to it.
Speaker 3: But the one that I the one that I tell with with kids is the Viper, which is like the.
Speaker 2: Class video all these it's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's like right, So, like the woman is she goes to the office because she she has to go early into the office because she left something behind, and she's there before anybody else, is at like four in the morning or five in the morning, and the phone rings and she answers it and somebody says.
Speaker 2: This is the Viper.
Speaker 3: I'll be this soon and then you know, you build it from there and it's scarier, weird. She's calling the police and no one's helping her. And then finally it's a guy shows up with a bucket of mop He's like, I'm the window works every time.
Speaker 2: But oh my god.
Speaker 3: When I first started telling this, when I first started telling this to Indian and his friends, like it's so funny, it's not. So it's not even the content of the story that matters. What matters is the tone of voice and the intention to scare. So like Indian is Buddy Wiley, where like we were in a cabin and I was like, you guys want to do a scary story.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, let's do it. Let's do it. I go, Lucy went to the office.
Speaker 3: And come back, come back, We'll.
Speaker 2: Do the voice. Lucy went to the office. Do you realize, like you know, this is important. Yes.
Speaker 5: I remember as a kid hearing the the It was a trailer for either the first or second Nightmare Now Street where it's just the kids jump roping and it's just him going on.
Speaker 2: And I just remember being scared. Oh my god, this is horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, terrible sound design is to me, like more important than anything, especially for horror films.
Speaker 2: But I always I always feel.
Speaker 3: That way about movies, you know, Like I've been listening to the after some soundtrack and it just gets me right in the zone.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy, like.
Speaker 3: The zone of crying, nostalgia and like you know, reflection feelings. Yeah, I like that, especially driving. That's like that's a good zone to be in.
Speaker 2: Talking about sound and how important it is.
Speaker 5: When we did an episode of Batman Beyond, Bruce tim who created the show, said he always wanted to do at least one big battle scene with no sound at all. Right, So there was a character he created where he controls sound. So there's a scene where Batman's trying to find him and there's literally no sound in a a car manufacturing plant, so like stuff is coming by that you can't hear.
Speaker 2: There's no sound.
Speaker 5: It's silent, and it's really really cool to see the power of pull the sound out and you're still involved in the story, but it's not quite the same.
Speaker 2: It's really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was it is it.
Speaker 3: John wo that did the the big battle secret? I've never seen face off, but there's like a battle sequence set to somewhere over the Rainbow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, did you say face Off is so great? I love face Off? God, you are so like you don't know what to pick with you.
Speaker 3: It's basically anything from nineteen ninety two to nine.
Speaker 2: That's what I watch in the movie theater that her parents took her to. Yeah, because Friday night I saw one movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was whatever year was that movie was out, and I said absolutely.
Speaker 2: Because face Off not that great a movie.
Speaker 5: Actually it's a great movie, but that's what people.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it, but people face Off. The best part is.
Speaker 5: Watching John Travolta and Nick Cage do each other. Yes, like that's the best part of them doing like impressions of each other is the best part of them.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's pretty great.
Speaker 1: I also really not to get a soft track about scary stories, but going back to Our Boy Meets World sleepover, I also really enjoyed having Andrew here.
Speaker 2: Going over Boxerati. He was a really good sport.
Speaker 5: He was, and I think he thought we were making fun of him when really we were sitting there going it's really very good.
Speaker 1: But no, I think he was very pleasantly surprised because I think he thought going into it, Okay, I have to watch how bad this thing's going to be, and then I'm going to go and we're all just going to make fun of it. But then he watched it, and when I texted him, I was like, make sure you watch it because we're going to talk about it tonight, and he was like, I did watch it, and it was it was much better than I thought.
Speaker 3: It's so I mean, I you know, we've talked about this at nauseum, but like the insecurities that you feel as an act, especially as a teenager of course, are so absurd because I mean, what to be a fitness coach instructor, you just have to have like a natural charisma, which he has confidence in space. That's like what Andrew Keegan is is like totally and he's actually more relaxed and that's in that video than totally some of his acting that I've seen. It's like he's just like himself and it's totally cool and again, a teen idle teaching teens and tweens so.
Speaker 2: Smart, brilliant did that.
Speaker 3: I remember what I've talked about how like Andrew Keigan was like the eighteen idol, and I always thought that's exactly like I could never have stood there and done what he did effortlessly in that video, Like, right, God, can you imagine me trying to do a workout video? No, God, poet, maybe you should shoot that that's just behind the poetry.
Speaker 2: Would not have worked.
Speaker 3: Should imagine a sixteen year old writer with my braids standing there?
Speaker 2: Maybe can we just cry? Can we just cry? E more?
Speaker 3: Versus just okay, Adam.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's go. Yeah, I wouldn't have been the same. It was great to see Betsy and Rusty.
Speaker 4: It was awesome.
Speaker 5: I was most of the night. I was full of abaci, I know, which is great sweating. We were sweating while full of abci. At one point in the night, and came up to me and he said to Ally, said, the back of Will's head is so cy.
Speaker 2: He said, it look like you had been swimming.
Speaker 3: So uh.
Speaker 2: And we're laughing the whole time.
Speaker 1: I also enjoyed magic the gathering more than I thought I was going to, which is to say I thought I was.
Speaker 2: Going to enjoy it negative five and I enjoyed it about one.
Speaker 3: Okay, so magic, you know, if you had just gotten into it, like let's say you were in your twenties, Okay, and you dated a guy who was really into magic, you probably would have tried it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's gotten really into it, you know, I take anything else.
Speaker 3: It's just the barrier to entry is learning and like the you know, but once I actually think you would like it is because there's a competitiveness to it.
Speaker 2: There's there's a game.
Speaker 3: It's like chess, right, but there is also this kind of fun creative element of like what kind of characters you have or you know, what your the theme of your deck is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think i'd like it more once I understood what all the symbols meant. Right now, it's just like I don't know what any of this is language exactly, and so that that part was overwhelming. And then it's also a little weird. Nobody has to write anything down. You just always remember how many lives.
Speaker 3: You Now everybody uses their phone that has app on it, but usually we used to use a die twenty sided die to keep track of your life.
Speaker 2: What's a twenty seven die?
Speaker 1: Twenty sided die? And then how does that help me keep track of your life?
Speaker 2: Because you started twenty life? Oh, here's twenty I thought we started forwarding because we were.
Speaker 3: Command command, so then you have a larger die, but now everybody just uses an app to keep track of that stuff. And then you usually also have counters, which are like little little people deeds, little glass beads, or we used to just use treads of paper. You keep track of your counters, and then you have like tokens, which are cards that just sort of stand in for like your badgers, your Power Badgers.
Speaker 5: I know a band name, by the way, the Power Power Badgers. You're right, no, but magic is fun when you get into it.
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 3: D and D is fun, it's D and D light because D and D actually is more of a creative investment and a storytelling investment.
Speaker 1: Performance performances the one where I don't think i'd like it, like we will do that eventually.
Speaker 3: And I think magic is actually more up your rally because you can play magic and like just be focused on strategy and people that won't each other.
Speaker 2: Card games then like charades.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, I do enjoy that. Well, this was really fun, guys. I'm not gonna lie. The inside of the Matthews House is not everything I hoped it would be. Our sets, our sets, yeah, our sets were better, but I also don't don't want to disparage it because it's.
Speaker 2: Nice though, I mean it's it's it's there's a history to it. Has anybody ever built a house based on yes a TV show?
Speaker 5: Well the Bun House, and that's actually built it and Glance tried to buy it.
Speaker 2: It was Lance and h G t V were in competition to buy it. H G t V one. They would the inside. They did the inside the.
Speaker 3: Same if somebody, I know Matthew's house, like where because do it?
Speaker 2: But us, how do we go build a house? We start a Kickstarter, Yes exactly, that's our next thing. Honday a million dollars. How much would it cost to build that? To go to philadel Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends where where land is really cheating and it's just construction costs and you're talking a couple of hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Where do we go? Whould we do it? What would be California?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would be like Idaho or I mean, I don't know, where's cheap land.
Speaker 2: Somewhere in the desert like Arizona or something like that could be good.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, somewhere hot, yeah right, yeah, pick a pick, like a desert somewhere, and actually what would be the ultimate dream would be you have a subdivision of a neighborhood where all the houses are.
Speaker 2: From different different TV shows. That's brilliant. So it's like you can go to the Old House genius. Oh, that's right.
Speaker 5: They did the Simpson's house, so it's like you could do that. You can do the Simpsons house, you can do the Brady Bunch house. It's all one street. It's all the most famous sitcom streets.
Speaker 2: That would be like it.
Speaker 3: Would be like Disneyland, but like an Airbnb TV AIRBNBTV lands.
Speaker 2: Why are we talking about this on the podcast? We're kind of like raising money and actually doing this. That's brilliant. It's really smart. Are there are there not? Yeah, there'd be. Of course, you get a Father Knows Best house, you do the Boy Meets World house, you do.
Speaker 3: Hold On and then you actually do like a town square and you have like the Cheers bar, and you have like actual like chubby Land TV land. Were you act Oh my god, could you be sued by the TV like the creators?
Speaker 2: You'd have to do one of the things that would have to be.
Speaker 5: It couldn't be Chubbies Chubbes wouldn't be big enough to do to the Boy Meets World house, but you would do Arnold's Diner from Happy Days. Sure, so be Arnold's diner. It would be the Cheers Bar. It would be like all the the Seinfeld Dinas Seinfeld's.
Speaker 4: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: You could have the coffee shop, the per per Central per Central Park. You could have Central Perko as the coffee shop.
Speaker 5: You'd have to do something like maybe you just have you walk past the helicopter landing pad that just has one of the mash helicopters on it, Like that's all you'd have from there, because what about the city e r something like that. You could you make a whole little television land which could be.
Speaker 1: Really cool and that'd be so fun. Yeah, okay, well we're going to cut this from the podcas yes.
Speaker 5: Because unfortunately we're gonna have to kill all of these people.
Speaker 2: Them tell promise not to do our idea. That's probably a better way to go about it.
Speaker 4: Staring at this little sneebel part of the ugly just eat the croissant, just eat the whole things right there?
Speaker 2: What did you call it? Then?
Speaker 5: All these things right here on the plates Schnebels all these little things on the plate.
Speaker 2: But did you just make it up? Nobel? Highly technical?
Speaker 4: Eat the sebels like you can eat your sneel.
Speaker 2: Wow, No, no, I have no problem with it.
Speaker 4: I just is this all being recorded?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's right? Or ugly? Cuifont right there, crunchy.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of slumber Party. Pod Meats World really had a good time with you guys. I can't believe we still have this much to say and do enjoy really enjoying each other.
Speaker 5: Even when the microphones aren't on, We're still just talking all the time.
Speaker 2: It's like, how how is it still happening thirty years? You figure out of it to say that's amazing.
Speaker 1: As always, you can follow us on Instagram, pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And we have merch trouble Wubbo cobble, merch. What's the guy's name me Tywalkome.
Speaker 1: There you go merch and don't forget Cheeto Papo. Well send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all.
Speaker 4: Pod dismissed.
Speaker 5: Pod Meets World isnheart podcast producer and hosted by Daniel Fishel Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbacks producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com