Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spaffer, joined by the one and only Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from the Potawatomy Sportsbook studio within the walls of lambeau Field and West. Since our last show, there was one additional padded practice out there at Nichigie Field. We also heard from all of the Green Bay Packers coordinators, and I want to get to all of that, but I think we need to start this show with what we heard from Micah Parsons. He spoke to the media after Tuesday's practice for the first time since the spring, and in providing the update and whatnot on his rehab, it sounds like everything is going well. It sounds like somewhere in that mid October, you know, range is a possibility, and in terms of his return to game action, there's a lot that's still up in the air about that. But I know you feel the same way I do after listening to him answer some questions, and I got the same sense when I talked to him for my yearbook cover story. For those who want to read more about Parsons, pick up a pack pick up a copy of the packer's yearbook. Is he has a certain resolve and determination with regard to coming back from this injury that I'm not sure I've heard it quite expressed the way he's expressed it.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm a big pro wrestling nerd, right, Yeah, Obviously we always have these conversations that felt the most to me, like when a pro wrestler is coming back from a major injury and like is being worked back into a program man. There was just this quiet intensity about his media scrum and I wasn't there obviously when you talk to him over the summer, but just the focus that I in Insider Inbox, I call it a Daniel LaRusso karate kid type focus where it's just like he just seems zeroed in on what his goal is. And I also love the realism that he speaks with. He's like, you know, when you would suffer an injury like that, you're coming back worse or you're coming back better, You're not coming back the same.
Speaker 3: It's going to change you at some level.
Speaker 2: And as hard as this guy works, as much as he pushes himself, it's like it's taking it to a different level now. So I was looking at the schedule as soon as you talked about, you know, Dallas being realistic in week six.
Speaker 3: I mean, any way you shuffle.
Speaker 2: This out, you got the Bears the week before that at lambeau Field. That's going to be a massive game. You got Dallas on Sunday Night football could be a massive game. I don't know if you'd want to have a guy coming back off in ACL in Detroit in week seven, but that one is obviously going to have big implications. And at the end of the month, the Packers close up on Thursday Night Football against the Carolina Panthers. So no matter where you put number UNO on the field and which week that comes, there's gonna be a lot of storylines there. There's gonna be a lot of hype. It's gonna come at a good time for Green Bay.
Speaker 3: But man, when.
Speaker 2: The question got asked about if Dallas could be a realistic return date, I don't think the folks at NBC, Peacock whomever, could ever draw that up better than if it works out in that particular order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not making any promises, but he definitely feels, as you said, the word was realistic he feels it's realistic, and I thought it was also educational of Micah to explain because it's been remarkable to see what Tucker Craft has done coming back from his ACL, and he was actually back on the practice field. Now he's not back in eleven on eleven yet, but Tucker Craft was back on the practice field ahead of that nine month mark from his surgery that took place last November. But Parsons was very clear that he should not his situation should not be compared to Crafts because Craft had an ACL tear and an ACL reconstruction. Micah Parsons had an ACL tear with an ACL reconstruction but also a repair of his meniscus. So the more complicated surgery produces an entirely different rehab and recovery timeline. So as much as Craft is being celebrated for what he's done and it is remarkable and it's great to see him back out there and how great he looks, you can't just take Tuckercraft's timeline and apply it to Micah Parsons and say, Okay, he's going to be back. At the same time he made the comment, Craft was off of crutches in four weeks and already walking. Parsons was on crutches for seven weeks before he was allowed to walk on his repaired knee, so just wanted to put all that out there. There is a story on packers dot Com. I wrote it after Parsons talked with the media. There's a few more details in there and whatnot, but I thought it was a good point by him to just say, hey, as much as he is going to push and he's going to do everything he can to be back on the field as soon as possible. The comparison to Tucker Kraft, just because the DACL injuries, it doesn't apply.
Speaker 2: So another thing that happened on Wednesday then is we talk to the coordinators here in the media auditorium. We almost share a wall with it on the other side of this, and it was interesting listening to Jonathan gannon get basically asked the same question. It was a great question by Tom Silverstein Silverstein, sorry Spoon, that you are preparing your football team for the upcoming season, but there's nobody on that side of the ball. You're going to ask to do what Micah Parsons does, So how do you balance that right? And it feels to me, like the more of these practices we watch, and watching Jonathan Gannon work in his scheme and figuring out which pieces he wants to use of this defense, it is almost like they're gonna get They're gonna start this season and they're gonna play the best darn football they can on the defensive side of the ball. And then when Micah Parsons comes back, that's the chaos agent that gets thrown into all this. That's the guy that's going to go out there that teams are going to have to prepare for. They're going to know what they're going to be getting in terms of the athlete, but maybe not necessarily in terms of the player that Jonathan Gannon is going to utilize within his defense.
Speaker 3: That is exciting to me. And yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Other aspect too, in addition to the AC on the meniscus. That difference between what people refer to as the clean tear versus sometimes where the other stuff happens is, you know, Tucker Craft towards ACL six weeks earlier then Tucker Craft then Micah Parsons did. When you get to training camp, it's six weeks long. There's never a longer six weeks in terms of professional football than that time span. So Parsons is realistic in terms of what he needs to do to get back on the field and what his presence is going to mean for the Packers in the second half. So as good as it's going to feel as much hype as there's going to be that day that he finally goes out there, that his name gets you know, right off he goes through the tunnel for the first time at Lambeufield, it's realistically about doing what the Packers didn't do last year, and that's finishing the season with number one on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And we'll have this conversation I'm sure again at some point in October. But when you talk about Jonathan Gannon's defense and incorporating Michael Parsons and how things are going to look, I think realistically we have to understand that when Parsons does come back, because he's on a completely different timeline from Tucker Craft and all that in terms of the ramp up and the preparation and everything else. It's not like Michael Parsons is going to play sixty snaps in the very first game he's back. There's going to be a process to this. Yeah, so I don't know if it's going to be you know, twenty five snaps and then maybe forty to forty five and then you ramp up to you know, one hundred percent participation. So even in the games, when whatever the first game is that Parsons is back, you know, he's he's going to be almost more like a like a change up, you know, in a sense before he's actually back to full full duty in terms of his number of apps. So again, a lot of time here before we get to that point and and want to see how it plays out. But but man, I mean, he's, uh, he's he's sort of resigned himself to the fact of everything that he has to go through in order to get back, but he's also kind of embracing it at the same time. That's that's that's the sense. It's not like he's happy, it's not like he's thrilled with all this stuff he has to do. But yet he's like, all right, I'm just I'm gonna put the work in, I'm going to get after it and then everybody better watch out.
Speaker 2: And when you look at him physically, I mean, the guy is just he looks like he could step on the field today and play. I mean, I don't think the football conditioning there obviously will still be a transition there. But I mean, this guy has put himself in every possible position to be ready once he does get back on the field, once he does get cleared, and then in the meantime, I mean, just watching how he interacts with this football team has been really fun to see, you know, I mean when he's on the sideline in those team practices later on, how he's interacting with Baron Surrell and Colin Oliver and the young guys and just being able to have that impact on him too. It's so different in that when you look back to his time in Dallas, he was the young guy on kind of a veteran defense on kind of a veteran team. Right, he had Trayvon Diggs, but there were so many guys that it was like you were kind of adding him into that mix. Whereas now the Packers have so many young edge rushers, guys that are twenty two, twenty three, twenty four years old. How he's embraced that side of it too has been fun to watch. So I made a comment there was you know, Micah was biking down to practice.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've got a chance to see that video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was three sisters I think that he was going down with, and they were all kind of, you know, kind of yelling at and fighting with each other about you know, riding bikes and who's gonna ride who's and you know, Mike is just trying to kind of keep the peace a little bit. But I made a comment there that I was like, I mean, green Bay needed this guy. The Packers needed him on their defense, but I think green Bay needed this guy. I think he is a superstar that has embraced this community. He's embraced his role on this team and what it means for everybody. I just the guy wasn't drafted here, but it feels like he was meant to play here. And the more and more we see him out there, the more and more I'm convinced to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you wholeheartedly there. Well, second padded practice was on Tuesday, and I'll just throw it out as an open ended question to you, like what jumped out at you? What do you think's worth talking about here?
Speaker 3: Baron Surrell.
Speaker 2: Thing was so cool to watch because okay, before we even get to that interception, so it was our first one on one.
Speaker 3: So as we often talk.
Speaker 2: About with three things and some of our other content, you're watching receivers and defensive backs kind of you know, do their one on one work.
Speaker 3: I'm always down.
Speaker 2: Watching offensive line defensive line since twenty twelve when I began covering this team. It's the most fun I have at practice is watching those drills because there is no fluff there. And I agree with what Matt Lafleur says it all you take with a grain of salt. Just because someone does something in one on one doesn't mean it's going to translate to line work. But in my experience, that's where you find out, Hey, Greg van Roten, this guy actually has something to him, right, Hey Lucas Patch, this guy's battling.
Speaker 3: Right. The guys that are sort of the unsung.
Speaker 2: Heroes, Lane Taylor, Lane Taylor, Oh my god, Lane Taylor's reps when he went as a guard I mean, Skake On, Kenny Clark and those dudes in Latroit Guy On and yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It tells you something about the player, no doubt.
Speaker 2: So anyway, there's a lot of different things to discuss with that, But what I was impressed by is Baron Serrell only took two reps at least that's what I had him charted for. One was against Darien Kinnard at right tackle and one of them was against Jordan Morgan at left tackle. Morgan set the tone for the practice. Him and Lucas Vans opened it with the three Packers have been doing this last few years. The first two people that go up for one on ones, they do three reps, almost like a best of three sort of. And Morgan held his own against on paper, the Packer's best pass rusher right now, without Micah Parsons available on Lucas Fans. So here comes Baron Surrell and is able to beat later in the drill, able to beat Morgan with his speed. Earlier in the drill he's going up against Kinnard and he's finally able to use his bull rush. That's something that Matt lafuur' talk about when they're not in pads. He doesn't want to see it one on ones. You can bust that out again, yeah, and he looked goot, he looked great doing it. So he has all that in his back pocket. Then we get to the team period later in practice, and Sorell's been the one that's been rotating in the most opposite vaness with the one defense. He sniffs out this screen pass and takes it sixty yards to the house. And this is not a Jordan love thing where he's been throwing picks left and right. I think that was his second one at camp.
Speaker 1: YEP number two.
Speaker 2: And for Sorel to make that play and then as he talked about in the locker room afterwards, He's like, I no one was catching me. He's like, I know that's going to show up in the film room. I was like, I gotta keep my knees high. I gotta get to that end zone. And he did it. And Sorell is the ultimate example of the guy that you see come in, just the kid with big pause that you can see what he's going to be once he gets in the weight room, once you have him in the system. And I mean he came back a grown man, and just watching him work in the tenacity with which he practices everything you would expect out of the dude that showed up in Green Bay, Wisconsin and got picked in the fourth round and walked across the stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to take anything away from Baron Surrell here, because I like, how can you not like what you've seen of him out on the practice field, and the interception was a very dynamic play in eleven on eleven. But I just want to throw this out there because I just wonder, and these are not the things that we get told, but I just wonder if it was part of things earlier in practice, the Packers had executed that throwback screen to Josh Jacobs and it ruptured for a big play. Jacob Munk got a big block on the outside, couple other guys through blocks, boom. I wonder did Jonathan Gannon tell Matt Lafleur call another screen later in practice, because I need to see if my defensive guys learn something from the one you burned us on earlier, you know, And I don't know. I'm not saying that that happened, but I wonder because the next time they ran the screen, and we're talking about forty five minutes later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: This isn't like bards a back or anything. This there was a lot of time in between. But then when they tried to run a throwback screen to Jacobs again, like Baron Surrell was right there, the defense had it completely had it completely sniffed out, and uh and Sorel was able to make the play. Those are the things that I that, you know, I always kind of wonder about. But again, it's not like they're gonna tell us exactly how they're how they're calling things in practice. With regard to one on ones, I always find it. One of the things I find so interesting is that you know, as you mentioned, we divide and conquer. I go watch the pass catchers against the pass defenders one on one. You watch the lineman with the pass blocking and pass rushing. The one that you watch is sort of slanted towards the defense, right, because when there's nobody else out there and it's just one on one, the pass rusher can't isn't going to bump into anybody else, so there isn't the other traffic, you know, to help the offensive lineman. Right. The one that I watch is heavily slanted toward the offense because with no other coverage players out there and it's just one on one and the receiver has the entire field to work with. Now, there's a certain route that's been called that he's supposed to run, but essentially there's you know, there's no one else out there, so it's it's slanted toward the offense. So I always take particular note if a defensive back has a really good day in the one on ones, because the drill is kind of working against him and he's you know, he's kind of up against it, which is why it really jumped out that three reps Brandon Cisa against Savion Williams. CSA won all three of them, and there's a story up on packers dot com this morning I wrote about about Cisa and how his training camp is going, and not to say that it has been absolutely flawless. I mean, we saw Christian Watson get a step on him on a shallow cross and eleven on eleven, and Christian Watson can do that to a lot of defensive backs. But Brandon seesay every day that you're out there on the practice field, whether it's the one on ones, whether it's something in team, you see something that just tells you that he's he's proving every day that he belongs at this level. And for a guy who wasn't a first round pick, now we talk about him as a first round pick because he was the Packers' first pick. But for a guy who was not a first round pick, the impact that he is making, the impression that he is making early on is hard to ignore.
Speaker 2: And that's the part of it too, is that I think, and I've made this case so often when talking about the Packers receivers, because you know, you get the national media that gets on the Green Bay about, well, the first round picks have n't produced a lot of pro bowlers, all pros, all these you know, different accolades and platitudes. And then you look at the second round with what they've had with Jordan Nelson, DeVante Adams, you know, when you think about even the offensive lineman, you know, and Elton Jenkins coming out of that. And then obviously I've talked a lot about Casey Hayward in the past too and getting him in the second round and what that meant for the fence in twenty twelve, there's a very good chance that when you take a guy in the second round, you're looking at a guy that's gonna be a franchise pillar for you. Maybe not with the same type of name value in Cachet, but those are critical those top seventy five picks are critical for the construct of your football team, and the Packers took that very seriously. And I remember going through the draft process and you and I are kind of like projecting, Okay, who's going to potentially be there for Green Bay when they finally pick in the second round. And Cisa was a name that flew under the radar for me. But once they drafted him, and you looked at his age twenty years old, when you looked at his skill set, when you looked at his size, and you look at his speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just turned twenty one last month, I believe it was July third.
Speaker 2: And it's just like, there's so many different things that make him a Packer's person. So in addition to the fact that Mattlin Fulord praised him for just the professional that he's been since he came in the building, and that's not something you often see about the twenty twenty one year old. So yeah, there's just a lot to like about him. And unfortunately, you know, Carington Valentine dealing with this hamstring injury the last few days.
Speaker 3: It's afforded s say some.
Speaker 2: Reps, and he was playing in that role on that first practice too, when Keishawn Nixon was taking a breather there with the hamstring. So this guy's got a lot of snaps. And we talked about in the spring, we're talking about in the summer now. I mean the amount of playing time with the number one units that the Packers' draft picks have been receiving that is going to at some point pay huge dividends for them this year. Whether it's week one, whether it's week fifteen, You're gonna need those guys to be able to go out there and hold their.
Speaker 1: Own Yeah, no doubt about it. Well, a couple other topics to get to before we go, but we do need to pay some bills. So let's hear a quick word from our sponsors. Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Did you know lambeau Field is just one of our state's many wonders. Start making unforgettable memories on your next vacation. Discover grand Dad Bluff and more at travel Wisconsin dot com Slash Wonders. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted all right, Wes, you talked a little bit about what we heard from Jonathan gannon anything else. When we had that media session with the coordinators, cam Acord put on, put on, put on quite a show. And and just if you haven't seen it, folks, you know, go to the video on Packers dot com of Special Teams coordinator cam Acord's news conference, because when I use the word educational with Micah Parsons, mister Acord was being very educational up in front of the room, and uh, but it's but it's beneficial to all of us, and it's a reminder of how much every little, small detailed matters at this level, because, as I always like to say, this is not the same game that we all played in the backyard. Yes, this this is a different game when it's played at this level, and every single detail matters, it really does.
Speaker 2: And obviously if we got end up getting an impromptu demonstration from Achord on just the different things that go into holding a football and what was very interesting to me. I posted the video on my Instagram video and Lucas Haversk actually sent me a message afterwards talking about it. And as Lucas explained it, that's actually an ideology that was sort of passed down from Nick Folk, the long time NFL kicker also spent time with Achord in New England. And when you're dealing with harsher conditions and harsher climates, the trajectory of the ball, as Lucas was kind of explained to me, I mean, obviously you're not kicking a kickball. This thing's an egg and you got to make sure that you are kicking it to give yourself the best shot in terms of the trajectory of it and where that thing is leaning, and what it's going to mean with the win, with the cold, all those type of things. So Acord has been so interesting in terms of being not just innovative with some of these things that he's been doing in practice, but then coming to the podium and explaining the why behind them. And if he's doing that with the media, Mike, you can't imagine what he must be doing with players behind the scenes. Is he reiterated again, there is not a drill, There is not a period. There is not anything they're going to do in practice that he's not going to ask them to do in a game. That is the critical thing for Green Bay right now, as they're implementing a new scheme, as they're learning a new special teams unit, and they're taking some of the things they've done with their personnel and trying to make it go to the next level. Still a lot of work to do. I mean, Trey Smack, we've seen what the stats are at these practices, He's still trying to get a handle on exactly what it's like kicking over at Nischki. And then we will see it eventually in a stadium here, maybe as early as Family Night on Friday Night. That's where Green Bay ultimately needs to get to. You need to put the thing between the uprights. But Acort at least taken some time there to explain what he's looking for. What are the big check marks that he wants to see from not only Smack, but holder Daniel Wheelan cal Adamitas, who's been the long snapper. All these things kind of attached to one another in some shape or form. That ultimately, when when you're talking about teaching the game of football. As much as I know, I think CBS Sports and some other people picked up on it makes good for you know, a cool highlight video, but that's also the stuff that makes us smarter in terms of understanding what they're doing out there and why they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he even mentioned yeah exactly, and he even mentioned, you know, when you bring a new long snapper into the mix, and he didn't say necessarily this specifically with Adamitis, but but there can be adjustments where a long snapper is used to snapping into the holder's chest, but then maybe he comes to a new team and they want it snapped over the spot of the hold, you know, So then the long snapper might be making an adjustment based on what he's used to from elsewhere that he's been and all that, you know, and all that is before you get to you know, the hold and the lean of the ball and everything that he was that he was demonstrating in front of us there. So again, just very enlightening in terms of just everything that goes into something that is very easy to take for granted.
Speaker 2: And also I really like the follow up too on the tennis ball drill. We talked about that in the spring. How on punt returns, you know, they're doing this thing now where the guys get to the spot, they throw up the tennis ball and then they catch the ball the football, and then they catch the tennis ball is acor to illustrate, he's like, he doesn't really care whether or not they catch the tennis ball after they catch the football, that's the primary goal. But the reason you do the tennis ball thing is to basically line yourself up for where you're going to receive the punt. And if you end up throwing that thing up and it doesn't land anywhere to where you are when you're catching it, that tells you there's something in misalignment there. Yeah. Again, small things that we just sit there and go, oh, that's kind of interesting, but understanding what they're actually looking for in that particular drill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because how do you make the cleanest catch and give yourself the best opportunity to get yardage going forward? It's to have your body in position to catch the ball as quickly as possible. You don't drift, you don't wait, you don't try to catch it on the run unless obviously you're moving forward. And the tennis ball drill is is what tells a returner did I get there in time? Because if he throws the tennis ball up, catches it, and the ball comes down right in that spot, then he knows that he was there. But if he throws the tennis ball up and then has to drift to catch the punt and the tennis ball lands over there, he didn't get there as soon as he needed to write. So, yeah, fascinating stuff. Last thing before we go. Family Night is up next Friday Night at lambeau Field. The I don't know if it's been every single year, but gambling remains illegal at Bushwood. But you can almost bet on Family Night that there will be a young defensive back who makes a tremendous interception, maybe even multiple interceptions. It seems like that happens on Family Night more often than not, where somebody in a crowded defensive backfield, a young guy that hasn't been talked about whole lot, starts to make his case to make the roster. Right. I just wonder again, because there are a lot of defensive backs taking reps out there. I wonder if we're going to see something like that again on Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure we will.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's funny we were talking with Tremont Williams about this, right, because I mean that's how Tremon.
Speaker 3: Way back when.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of got himself noticed, and the amount of dbs that were kind of trying to make the roster, and many of whom actually ended up making the roster by finding ways to kind of ball out and show out, and that's the best way to do it. On Family and Night, you got sixty thousand, sixty thousand plus people sitting in the stands. You got that first vibe of what it's like to be in an NFL game, an NFL game setting, And actually, I personally think it probably takes on even more importance this year because you only have one preseason game at home this season, and the Packers' first regular season game isn't until you're already two games into the twenty twenty six campaign, so Packers actually won't have very many opportunities other than their walkthroughs to get in there and feel what it's like to be in that stadium. So who that person's going to be, I mean, your guess is as good as mine, but there always is somebody that makes a big play, and I just think it's.
Speaker 3: Such a cool family night.
Speaker 2: The average fan won't understand this anymore because you just you don't spend them all of time and that's totally fine.
Speaker 3: People have lives.
Speaker 2: But when we spend so much time out at practice and you see the shift that the Packers make with their their practice format when they go to family Night, the long distance throw as the quarterbacks will do, trying to hit the net from fifty plus yards, that's always a favorite. Those are things we don't see at it every day practice, and I think it's always cool the way they lined it up. They obviously will do the kicking thing near the end of it. Just always stuff to kind of not only entertain people, not only learn something about the football team, but also put their guys in situations where, okay, these are the plays you're gonna have to make to win games in this stadium and sort of simulating that the best you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it'll be. It's always kind of that first milestone of training camp is you get to Family Night, because then once you get out the backside of family and Night, then it's like you're in to the week by week getting ready for the preseason games. And then with each preseason game that goes by, you're getting that much closer to the roster reduction and then getting ready for Week one.
Speaker 3: So it's the playoffs, yeah, and the combine and.
Speaker 1: Then you're at the owner soon and then the draft is right around the corner after that. But but no, yeah, family night, Family Knight's always it's it's for me.
Speaker 3: It's always the.
Speaker 1: First milestone of training camp. Yeah, and then everything everything moves on from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just right, I think, because it's the first time you do feel like you start you start to get back into a weekly schedule.
Speaker 2: Although this year it's gonna be even weirder though, because we're playing on Thursday.
Speaker 1: But yeah, generally we're getting on a plane on Wednesday to go to Pittsburgh for a Thursday preseason game.
Speaker 3: So that's something you do routine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we never know what day of the week it is. In August Thursday, Yeah, don't ask with that. We'll call it a wrap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of training camp and this football team. It's all Florida on Packers dot Com for West Simon like, thank you for too much, sim