Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panha, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in Episode two O eight, What's Right with Nick Wright? Massive Show Today. My favorite sports weekend is coming up this weekend. Better than the Super Bowl, better than the NBA Finals, better than conference championship week and I believe the single best sport weekend we have is Divisional Round weekend in the NFL, two game Saturday, two games Sunday, usually at least six of the best eight teams throughout the year playing. And we've got some unbelievable matchups in the AFC and some shocking matchups in the NFC, so a ton to do first, as we always do what missed the cut. Caleb Williams enters the NFL Draft as every single person with a brain knew he was going to do, unless you were following fake Twitter feeds or believing that he was gonna stay in the dress, stay in school nonsense. Indiana Airport add to basketball court for the All Star Game. That's dope. I love this idea. And then, last, but not least, there's the guy from Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I guess sent out some tweet at the Emmys. I don't really care about this. That guy talks to me on Twitter once, so I'm not that you know what that might be unfair? Hold on, that might have been one of his co hosts, one of the always Sonny in Philadelphia guys, the one that's not Danny DeVito. He talked trash to me. I'm not sure which one it was. My apologies if that was a bad stray for him. It was one of the two guys on the show. All right, Demanse's here, Demonse. We need I, You and I gotta be on our best performances today. You never know who's listening. I got a text yesterday from the writer and creator of Billions, the guy who created Rounders, Brian Koppleman, who was texting me saying he was listening to our Friday podcast while at the gym and laughing at all my losing NFL picks, which is kind of unfair. Went three and three against the spread, really three and two, because that Bill's bet should have been voided because it was we took the Steelers plus the ten because they're gonna be playing in a blizzard, and then they moved the game, and so that bet should have been voided. But whatever, We'll take. The three and three would add different math on that game if we knew it was gonna be in perfect conditions. But you never know who's listening, never know or who's watching. In that case, you know, the Koppleman makes television, makes movies. Maybe if he was in charge of winning time, you would have gotten the Byron Russell or the Byron Scott role. Maybe if you had gotten the Byron Scott roll, that show wouldn't have been canceled. So I'm gonna give you time to prep with that sitting on your chest, because I want to start not with the Eagles, but with the Chiefs, and then Chiefs Bills. So I am downright flabbergasted by the national media's response to the Chiefs Wild Card game. I don't understand it. The seemingly unanimous Yeah, we didn't learn anything about the Chiefs. Yeah, the same issues is that they had during the year, same concerns it is. That game was all about Miami's injuries, Miami not being good enough. Guys. Miami's injuries were on the defensive side of the ball. Miami's offense was fully functional and got efiscerated by the best defense in the NFL. Statistically or I test, only Baltimore has an argument. Certainly not Cleveland anymore. After we saw what happened to them. CJ. Stroud lightened their asses on fire for three hours Saturday afternoon. And that's not a knock on CJ. But if you're a great defense, a great defense, you don't allow forty five points. You dont allow thirty points every time you go on the road. Chiefs haven't allowed. The Chiefs have allowed thirty points once in two years in the Super Bowl and they won it. But set that aside. Uh, Miami's offense was zero for ten on their first ten first third downs, made one playoff game because it was an underthrow that allowed Tyreek to come back for the ball. Made who made anyone who had advocated for to a tongue of iloa want to go back and erase those tweets or takes and offensively Kansas City for the second consecutive week when they played their starters, moved the ball at will, didn't turn the ball over, scored on almost every drive they had the ball. Oh, Nick, what about the red zone. Let's talk about the red zone. They're in the red zone six times, scored two touchdowns, so that's good. One of the times they didn't score a touchdown, they did and it was called back on an egregious block in the back penalty, a block in the back penalty that was ify as far as did he actually block him in the back, but then totally incorrect when you see the guy who got called for the block in the back, Juwan Taylor, got shoved in his back which made him fall into the blocker, who, by the way where she writes, has already passed. So that would have been three for six in the red zone and it had been a thirty to seven game. Then you remember that the Chiefs had a first in goal from the one that they didn't convert because Patrick Mahomes' helmet shattered in two places, and on the critical play on the drive, they should have used the time out, by the way, that's their mistake. They couldn't get a play in essentially because Mahomes was out there switching helmets and doing crazy stuff. So if you watched that game, you were like, oh, same Chiefs problems from during the year. I don't know what the hell you saw all year long. I have heard people say, gosh, if they could just have one receiver step up, Rashi Rice had one hundred and thirty yards and a touchdown would have been one forty and two touchdowns if not for the block and the back call. Oh man, what's wrong with Travis? Now? Travis had some drops, no doubt about it. But Travis looked healthy in spry. That week off helped him. Oh my, so ah. But Nick, but it was the weather. The weather was there for both teams going into that game. The most passing yards in the three coldest games ever played, no one had cracked one seventy five. Mahomes had two sixty with fifty yards of Kelsey drops. So here is what is going to be the frustrating part. And now I'll bring it to the Bills. The Kansas City Chiefs played the eleven wins six seed Miami Dolphins and beat them by nineteen points, and everyone's response was, yeah, whatever. The Buffalo Bills last night beat the seven seed, ten win Pittsburgh Steelers by fourteen points, and everyone's response is gonna be, oh my god, look at the Bills. Holy are they terrifying? And I just want to know, go ahead to montse Go.
Speaker 3: Just is just because they're rolling right now, it's the momentum. They seem pretty scary, so scary.
Speaker 2: So they're on a nice winning streak. I agree. I don't think anyone thinks they played great at the end of the year. They played great against they played well against the Chiefs, they played great against Dallas. Then they obviously didn't play well against the Chargers and got away with it. The Patriots game was a joke and got away with it, and the Dolphins game they had their pluses minuses, but that's not that's not my problem. I will be, you know, continue to carry the mantle of the only honest and consistent person in sports media. And I will say I was very impressed by the Bills last night. Josh Allen played a clean game. Josh Allen made three or four holy bleep plays. Their defense despite the injuries, made big stops or made big forced big turnovers, and the Bills were in firm control of that game throughout. Even when it was a seven point game in the fourth quarter, the Bills felt in firm control. I was impressed by the Bills. What I am going to be baffled by is folks who yesterday told us how unimpressed they were by the chiefs nineteen point victory over a good but not great team being wildly impressed by Buffalo's fourteen point victory over a mediocre team. That part is not really gonna square in my brain. But the real answer is because use people have decided the Chiefs can only be impressive by scoring thirty five points. Had the Chiefs beaten the Dolphins thirty five thirty one, I think they would have gotten more praise than beating them twenty six to nine or twenty six to seven. Pardon me, I gave the Dolphins an extra two points. I think that people have not recognized. And here's the other part of the red zone struggles, I think Mahomes has recognized with the defense playing the way it is, that there is no reason to take any chances in the red zone if you have three points locked up. Now, if he gets in a shootout next week against Buffalo, I think you will see him throw the ball into the end zone in tight windows and take more chances because he will have to. But just like the Bengals game and now this game against Miami, when your defense is throttling the opposition the way it is it was, and even the game where the Chiefs looked terrible, the Raiders game, the Devens didn't allow a completed pass for three quarters. They lost because of back to back pick six fumble six mistakes by Patrick and so I think he is throttling back the aggressiveness because the goal is to win the damn game. And knowing right now I'm in a spot like I where I only have to make three to five great plays a game. One of them was the fourth and four run for twenty eight yards. One of them was the third ten on the opening drive.
Speaker 3: They're always so hot, well, Josh Allen, Josh Allen doesn't play like he just has to win the game, plays the game like he has to be a hero. Maybe that's why they're more impressed. But he said he played a more clean game with the Steelers, So do what you're saying there. But yeah, yes, Malms is in his flashy and as pow wow gunslinging like Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: You know, the only thing that's right and the only thing that will continue to be flashy about Mahomes after this season is his first, second and third Super Bowl ring while Josh Allen with all his flash and wow and everything is you know what I mean, they're hanging AFC spanners like that's that's fine. And so now there is a lot demands of discussion about where this game is being played, correct, Chiefs Bills?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So is it going to Yeah, it's gonna take place in Buffalo, right, so it's gonna be Patrick Mahomes versus Josh Allen inside of Buffalo, which I'm sure Josh Allen's super excited about. I don't know how Patrick Mahomes is feeling about it.
Speaker 2: So that's so there is a lot of discussion. Mahomes first road playoff game, which is true, right, It's played fifteen playoff games twelve at Arrowhead. By the way, those twelve games at Arrowhead, I saw it, it's ten and two with two overtime laws. The touchdown interception ratio for Mahomes in those twelve AFC playoff games he's played thirty one to three. Two of them came in the only bad half he's ever played of playoff football, the second half of the AFC title game against Cincinnati. Outside of that half, he's thirty one to one touchdown interception ratio in his playoff career pre Super Bowl. And so every people are pointing out correctly, ooh, Mahomes never played in a road playoff game, and he hasn't, but he's played obviously in plenty of road regular season games. So let's look at the data as they see, say, Mahomes at home in his career thirty six and eleven, Holy crap, that's great. Mahomes on the road in his career thirty eight and eleven, Well, that's a little bit better. Mahomes at home in his career sixty five percent completion percentage, that's pretty good. Mahomes on the road in his career sixty eight percent completion percentage, by golly, that's better. Mahomes at home in his career seven point five yards per attempt. Mahomes on the road in his career eight point three yards per attempt. Well that's better. Mahomes at home in his career one hundred touchdowns to thirty picks. That's a better than three to one touch on interception ratio. You gotta be kidding me. Mahomes on the road in his career one hundred and nineteen touchdowns to thirty three picks. Well, that's even better. Mahomes at home in his career a ninety nine passer rating pretty good. Mahomes on the road in his career a one toh eight passer rating. Well, that's the best in NFL history. So yeah, we've never seen Patrick Mahomes play on the road in the playoffs. Turns out that might mean we've never seen the best Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs. I'm not saying that's game.
Speaker 3: It's different, though. This game is very different. I feel like just because of the whole just because of the whole narrative with the Chiefs and the Bills. The thirteen seconds tell me about it, but the Chiefs just keep bouncing them out of the playoffs. I think this is going to be super sick like I think this is personal. Yeah, it's going to be any regular road road playoff game. For Patrick Mahomes, No, I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. It it you actually nailed it. It is far and away the biggest game anyone on the Bills other than von Miller has ever played, far and away the biggest game they've ever played. And for the Chiefs, it's the sixth biggest game they've played in the last So, I mean, listen, maybe maybe that speaks.
Speaker 3: To this game, is I guess? I guess that's that's fair. Yeah, because the round that it's in, I do think it's just as big for the Chiefs, though, I think they really want to They obviously really want to win this game as well. No, I think there's a lot of stakes around.
Speaker 2: No, So I agree, no, no, no. For this game in twenty twenty three, is I guess equally big for the Chiefs and Bills. I agree with that. The point I am making is, so, if you and I are riding in a car together and the car's going eighty miles an hour, we're going the same speed, you and I both, right, But if for if I have never been in the car that's gone over seventy and you used to be on the F one circuit. It's gonna feel differently for the two of us. Right, So, if you're the Bills and this is the biggest moment of any of your careers, and if you're the Chiefs it is the third biggest game you have played in the last twelve months, it's gonna, as the kids say, hit a little different. And so we'll see, We'll see, I mean, we'll just we'll just see how that works out. For the Buffalo Bills because they famously have a cool as a cucumber coach you know who never tightens up in big spots. They have a quarterback who you know who, while makes all these amazing plays, he never does a oh my god, what did he just do? So I'm excited. Listen, the Bills are obviously better, they're the favorites, they're the hottest team, they have the quarterback who's playing better, they're at home, Like the.
Speaker 3: A bigger game for you than the Chiefs are a bigger game for you than for the Bills, because I feel like at this point, you've got a lot riding on this game.
Speaker 2: No, listen, I know. So I'm like the Chiefs. I've been written off on this. I said the Bills were gonna miss the playoffs. I've got egg on my face. No matter what, it doesn't really matter. Like the listen, we all know.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: Every listen. I'm the only person that all year long, is believed in the Chiefs. I've clearly been wrong. It's my hometown bias playing into effect. The Chiefs are lucky to be in this position. The Bills, you know, should have beaten them a couple of years ago. The Bills maybe could have beaten them last year. The Bills have owned him in the regular season. Now this game's in Buffalo. Josh Allen is hot. The Chiefs are flawed. The Chiefs, you know, can't move the football. That Mahomes is you know, the Kelsey's distracted moment like so, no, people are probably right.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, thought you said it seems like you're having right now.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I just you know, I just think you've convinced me, and the and the producers have convinced me, and just seeing maybe everyone's right that the you know, the there's no reason the Bill should lose this game. I mean, is Patrick Mahomes gonna always beat Josh Allen in the playoffs? Are the Bills never gonna get past the Kansity Chiefs. Uh No, of course they'll do it in Sport, So yeah, I mean, yeah, we'll see how this goes. If, by the off chance, somehow the Chiefs this year with that broken offense, missing Eric Bienne, me with a rookie wide receiver as their top wide receiver and aging Travis Kelcey when they limped into the playoffs and now they're on the road in Buffalo, if this year, under those circumstances, they beat a Bills team that's one seventh six in a row, that is the favorite, that's at home, that has Josh Allen coming off his best playoff game in two years, If somehow Kansas City were to win in that spot, you would have to start to ask yourselves, can the Bills ever beat this team? And I'm sure that's not what they're gonna be thinking about. I'm sure if they're trailing four in the second half, that won't creep into the minds of the fans. You won't hear you all of a sudden. Orchard Park has a nervous energy, it seems, Jim, you won't hear that from Tony Romo. Uh oh, Josh Allen, Oh, you didn't need to throw it, throw it, make that pass, Josh, you didn't need to take that chance. I'm sure that won't that. We won't hear that. I'm sure, Jim. That's why Patrick Mahomes is Patrick Mahomes, even this year, under these circumstances in this building, he comes in and says, this conference is still mine. I'm sure we won't hear any of that. So, yeah, listen, the Bills should probably spend part of this week prepping for Houston and Baltimore, one of the two, because they you know what I mean, they've got what I mean? Who right now? Right now we're ranking playoff teams. The Chiefs are what ahead of just the Bucks? I don't know, I mean, So we'll see, we'll see. I know this week definitively, no one's jumping ahead of the Ravens and Niners. Correct, No, I know the Lions got more love for their one point victory than the chief over the Rams than the Chiefs, did I know? The Packers got way more love for what they did. No pun intended with Jordan Love than the Chiefs did. I know they did, and I know right now what go ahead?
Speaker 3: I mean what Jordan Love did was was crazy, like he deserves right because sarcastic rant, I don't know if you were being sarcastic, said, I'm being sarcastic.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm just saying. So you have the Ravens, you have the Niners, you have the Lions, you have the Packers. Uh, obviously what the Texans and CJ. Stroud did? I mean, I see people asking questions, is CJ. Stroud the quarterback? You would take over any other quarterback for the next decade? That, like, I see those questions. So obviously Houston is there. Then you have the Bills. It goes without saying so it's really just the Tampa, just Tampa, just Baker and Patrick, you know, to nobody believes in US guys, scrappy teams, kind of lucky to get into the postseason to see what the hell happens. All right, So while clearly I've been wrong about the Chiefs, Saul, and I'm about to have all this egg on my face and not take one of the greatest victory laps ever. In about six days, let's talk about a team, a different team that I was called a hater on that I didn't know what I was talking about, that I didn't let you know that I was afraid of the Eagles and didn't and was jealous of the overall strength of the roster. And Jalen Hurts was, you know, outplayed Mahomes in the Super Bowl. Never forget that storyline that I know he lost and he had the fumble that you know flipped the game. I know, and they couldn't move the ball in the second half. But really he outplayed Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl, if we're being fair. The only person who would admit that was diehard Chiefs fan. That team set up for a dynastic success. How Let's let's update how their season ended, Demons. Let's go to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 3: The Eagles. The Eagles were embarrassed by the Bucks in Baker Mayfield last night. I think that was the first ever time that I saw the tush push fail in live time, and it was at the one yard line.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to real quick? Hold on, real quick before you do that, go to my Twitter again. I you know, I've gotten obviously just everything wrong this season. Party probably wins the Super Bowl, the whole thing. But uh, I did on Friday, and you can check the video. You're gonna scroll down a bit. On Friday when I picked the Bucks to beat the Eagles, I said, and as a capstone to the Nick Sirianni era, they go for two on the tush push and fail. And last night in that football game, they went for two on a tush push and failed. And it was from the one, not even from the two yard line, because that's why they did it. But go ahead, ask your question.
Speaker 3: Scott looked in a bad way on that play as well. But are you ready to raise your voice on your Jalen Hurts is not that great of a quarterback and Nick Sirianni's not that great of a coach.
Speaker 2: Take well, the Knick Sirianni take. I've been yelling from the mountaintops. Yeah, I mean that team, quickn that that team. That team did not I've never seen that in my life watching football. I've never seen a team in the first quarter of a playoff game looked like they didn't want to be there. They looked like a team that was playing out the string. Twelve seasons, Letcher Cox, Fletcher Cox, you know it might have been his last game as an Eagle. There were some, but they looked like a team that was either on the wrong end of a forty point playoff blowout in the fourth quarter just trying to get out of there, or a team that was a four win team playing their final game of the year, just trying to get out of there. And they looked like that from the opening snap. That's a coaching problem. The fact that they had no answers for the Todd Bowles Blitz is a coaching problem. The fact that they had a bad defense, changed defensive coordinators and instantly got the worst defense in the NFL is a coaching problem. And folks thought I didn't like Nick Sirianni because he mean mugs the camera, because of his history onics cause he yelled I don't hear now Chiefs fans. No, that's why he was annoying. I didn't like him as a coach because we have no reason to believe he's good. None he play. He did play calling for the Eagles for the first six games when he was the head coach, they weren't good. He turned it over, they got good. He had Shane steik In running the offense, it was awesome. Shane Steiken and Jonathan Gannon leave. He's grasping at straws for defensive coordinators after that. And on offense, Jalen Hurts massively regresses. So, yeah, the offense of a AJ Brown's down there somewhere chuck it up doesn't really Isn't that sustainable? Especially when AJ Brown is at a UFC fight with a knee injury instead of with the team. So that, yeah, there's problems there, And I feel sick for Jason Kelsey that this is how it ended. He deserved better. He's a Hall of Famer. But the easy thing, as we talked about last week, the easy thing is to fire the coach and offer Bill Belichick four years one hundred million bucks. That's the easy thing to do. The more difficult thing to do is to have a long conversation with your general manager and be like, Howie, I know everyone fell all over themselves to uh to talk about your cap machinations and draft style and all of it. But maybe the strategy of just drafting Georgia players and totally ignoring the linebacker and safety position wasn't as cutting edge as we thought it was. The really difficult conversation is the one that you're afraid to have out loud, which is and yeah, I won't whisper it this week. Are we sure Jalen Hurts is good? Are we sure Jalen Hurts is good? Not? Is he elite? That ship has sailed the answer to that question. No. Now he's paid like he's elite, so it's problem. But if he's good but not elite, you can get by with that contract. But when you look at Jailen Hurts, and this is again the point that I tried to make before and people got annoyed with me. Jailen Hurts in high school, no one thought franchise quarterback in the NFL, So it's good, dual threat good. Jailen Hurts at Alabama. No one thought franchise quarterback in the NFL. Jailen Hurts at Oklahoma. No one thought franchise quarterback in the NFL. Jailen Hurts in the draft, when you nobody he has you as a first round pick and you're considered a second or third round pick, Jalen Hurts when he then ends up being drafted late second round, that is the world telling you no one thought he was a franchise quarterback in the NFL. Jalen hurts his rookie year. Nope, Jalen hurts his second year. Nope, Jalen hurts his fourth year. Nope, Jalen hurts his third year. Holy, the guy's dealing in the Super Bowl. If it were the opposite, let me tell you the opposite career arc of that. A player who was the No it's not Trevor huh huh, but you're actually oddly close. But no, it's not. A player who in high school was considered best player in college was transcendent. Kodajana Heisman was a noe doubt number one pick, came in as a rookie and threw for almost four thousand yards twenty six touchdowns in a different era of football. Second year was spectacular and was thirteen and three. Third year led the league in touchdown passes and passing yards. Fourth year was six and ten. Damn Near led the league in interceptions. Look like he super regressed and then went back to being who he'd always been. That player's Peyton Manning franchise quarterback, franchise quarterback, franchise quarterback, franchise quarterback franchise quarterback, what the hell's wrong with him? Franchise quarterback? Franchise quarterback. That is the inverse of the Jalen Herd story. Tweener fringe, tweener, fringe, tweener, fringe, tweener, fringe, franchise quarterback, tween or fringe. I don't know. People didn't overreact to Peyton's bad year. They might overreacted to Jalen's great one. Sorry, and part of and demandsay you tell me everything. I'm being unfair here. Part of what's supposed to be special about Jalen is the leadership, the steady hand right, the demeanor. So then doesn't he have to wear a little bit more than your typical quarterback would That his team flat out quit, that the team totally fell apart at the end. Is that fair? Yeah? Yeah, so, I don't know. Tough times in Philly. And it's also another example. Super Bowl windows super overrated. Your window is this season and then go see like the the unless you have honestly one of the five best quarterbacks ever, your super Bowl window is we'll see year to year. That's it so, and it doesn't mean it doesn't open back up. This idea that is just perpetually open. That's not what history tells us. It's just not And so we go ahead. It looks like you want.
Speaker 3: To, uh, but no, the game was the game was bad the Bucks. The Bucks allowed them so many times to get back into the game last night, and it was just just couldn't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, the Bucks had drops. The Bucks, you know, were taking bad sacks, and they still dominated every step of it. All right, let's move on to Baker in the Bucks. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Baker stock has never been higher. The transition from the goat has gone seamlessly in Tampa. The Lions probably think that they have an easy pat to the NFC championship. But do you think this is the start of something really great for Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: Well, I listen, it's already been something really great. He had a better year as the Tampa quarterback than Tom Brady did last year. That's inarguable that statistically, that's winning, that's playoff performance, that's all of it. He also became the first Tampa quarterback in franchise history to have a three hundred yard, three touchdown playoff game. Joe Buck said that in the broadcast last night, and I was like, that cannot be right. And then I looked it up. I was like, that's right.
Speaker 3: And he could have got way more. There was a couple of times he got it out there to Evans. I think on deep routes they were just drops.
Speaker 2: Evans Kate Otten just stone drops. Now. A couple of those drives they scored touchdowns anyway, because Philly didn't want to tackle anybody, right. But yeah, the so this is already for Baker, already a great story. The Lions should win that game. Weird spot though, So I think the Bucks are gonna be able to move the ball on that Lion's defense. And then the other concern is the old emotional letdown spot. You always gotta watch out for the team that you know had such a.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 2: You know what this happened to the Chiefs the year they beat the Bills when they beat why I know what you're thinking. Which year that they beat the Bills? I get it. The year they beat the Bills in the thirteen second game. The next week they didn't come out flat, but the next week they fell apart in the second half against Cincinnati. That was such a Catharsis for Detroit. You worry about him a bit there. And then the other thing. Did you see your guy Jared Goff My Powell, tiny hands, his numbers pressured, not pressured because they're stunning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know they're they're skewed. I imagine no.
Speaker 2: But when I so hold up, I'm going to read you the exact numbers because he was only pressured on six dropbacks in that game. Okay, so twenty one passes where he was not pressured, he was twenty one of twenty one thirteen yards per pass, a one thirty five rating. One of twenty one when he's not pressured, just throwing darts pressured one for six eleven yards, less than two yards per pass, a thirty nine point six rating, And that doesn't include the play where he was being pressured so he turned backwards and threw a chess pass towards his own end zone.
Speaker 3: That could have been the defensive strategy play of the game that they had towards the Eagles. That is what you're.
Speaker 2: Saying, Light them up. Now. The Eagles have a real offensive coaching staff. Ben Johnson will be ready for it, so it won't be as easy. But there are some spots there where you could see a world where Baker Mayfield is playing in the NFC Title Game, and I will get to him in a minute. Maybe a Baker Mayfield Jordan Love NFC title game. Holy Molly, We'll get to Jordan Love your guy in a second. And then my real miss on the year. I think this is gonna go down as my only big miss of the year. You can say the Bills were but I had the Bills in the playoffs then I thought they were dead. The fact that they won five straight, you can call it a big miss. If the Chiefs end up going into Orchard Park and kicking their ass, no one will remember that I said the Bills were dead, So it doesn't matter. This one, though, is a big miss. Let's go on to the cow.
Speaker 3: Cowboys threw up on themselves versus Green Bay and Jordan Love on Saturday, probably put some jobs in jeopardy. But everybody's asking for Belichick now. But Dak Prescott is uh, what do you call it? He's he's choked in the postseason before, so you can't put all the blame on McCarthy. Is the team a coach away from a Super Bowl or do they have bigger problems in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Well, they got bigger problems, so yeah, you gotta fire McCarthy. But Dak looked scared. He just did he big as dunks man.
Speaker 3: When they were down by like their entire score and they're throwing three yard passes.
Speaker 2: But also like, here's here's situation. Green Bay drives the field, scores a touchdown. Dak responds on the next two drives three and out and then or maybe six and out, don't remember, doesn't matter. The thing was six and out. Uh, and then the pick to Jyurr Alexander. Okay, not great. Down fourteen nothing, Cowboys getting field goal range, have a third and five. Dak takes a horrendous sack knock some I think they still could have kicked the field goal of their kicker is awesome, but they end up punting. That's really bad. Now you're down twenty to nothing, but not dead because it's twenty to nothing. You're at the two minute warning. You're on the green Bay forty, and you're getting the ball at halftime. So it's like, okay, we go down here and score before the half, then get the ball at halftime, go score again. Next time green Bay touches the ball it's twenty to fourteen, and the pressure is totally shifted where it's like, holy crap, what happened? We dominated this whole half, and what does Dak do? Throws one of the worst pick six as anyone is thrown in the playoffs in years, non Joe Flaco category. Right, So now you're twenty seven to nothing. Underrated mistake to drive. They score on they have twelve seconds left. You have to throw into the end zone or else the half is gonna end. Dak throws short of the end zone. Ceedee Lamb gets tackled half over, but there was a penalty, so the Cowboys got one extra down or two extra downs, whatever it was, and then it's over. The game's over, and so I don't care. They had four hundred yards and that is and and this is where your MVP season works against you, or MVP level season, because you were that good in the regular season. You're playing a bad defense, which is why and we'll get to the Packers later. That's why I think the Packers are in real rough shape demons against the Niners. I don't think that Packers defense is good, and I think Kyle Shanahan is going to carve them up, and Dak was terrible and looked scared. Uh and so, and Dak is going Listen, Dak's contracts very simple. They own sixty million against the cap next year and then twenty five million the year after. If he's not on the team, he has a no tag and a no trade. So unless you can convince him to waive his no trade and you trade him, your only viable option is to extend him. And when I say, people are not gonna believe the extension, Dak is going to get. I am telling you right now, Dak Prescott is going to get sixty million dollars a year. He's gonna get. He might get five years, three hundred with one seventy five guaranteed. And when the guy has just fallen short in the and I believed in the Cowboys this year, but yeah, a loss like that. And yes, dan Quinn, their decoordinator, looked like he was game planning for his job interviews rather than for his head coach interviews, rather than for the game. Jordan Love carved them up all of it. But McCarthy's gonna get fired. And it's very, very difficult to believe in Dallas from this point forward, we'll talk Jordan Love and we'll play all inter fold. We'll do it all next we'll try welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode two eight and this episode's brought to you by US Bank. Winter can be a drive. We just got our first snow in seven hundred days in New York City, believe it or not. And thankfully we have sports to get us through the early part of the year. If you ask me, nothing goes together like your favorite foods and your favorite teams. Especially when it's cold out NFL Playoffs, Pro Basketball, you can just sit at home until the temperatures finally get warm and the US Bank Altitude Go Visa signature card provides the perfect way to earn rewards, whether watching your team with other fans at a local restaurant or in the comfort of your living room. Earn four times points when you dine out or have food delivered, maybe order a pizza, watch the Big Game on your big screen TV, and you can earn two times points at grocery stores, which is great if you're making some nachos at home for the big game, and if you're willing to brave the elements even getting to the game can be rewarding, as you'll earn two times points at gas stations and ev charging stations. Go to usbank dot com slash altitude go to learn more about how you can earn twenty thousand bonus points worth two hundred bucks if you spend one thousand dollars in the first ninety days of opening your account. Score big with the US Bank Altitude Go visas signature card. Visit usbank dot com slash altitude go to apply and live every day your way Limited time offer credit or issue of this card's US MAKE National Association presumed to a license from BCUSA, Incorporated. Some restrictions may apply. All right, Deman's before we get to all interfold, Jordan, love your guy. You planted your flag on him early. This could be your first one of these where you were out ahead of something, people thought you were crazy, mocked you a bit for it, and you might end up getting to take a victory lap on it. So go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Those on Twitter said that I joined the bus a little too late, but a.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, We've got the receipts on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought, I thought. I started talking about it about a month month and a half ago.
Speaker 2: But hey, man, so were talking about it right after Thanksgiving. It was right after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: It was honestly, we went to Wayne when we watched the game against the Chiefs. Or am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Oh well it was right before that because we watched him together on Thanksgiving and.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and they destroyed. Yes, I just speak so highly of him all the time. I forget, you know exactly. But yeah, so the Jordan Love, he carved them up. He was making the back foot throws a couple of times.
Speaker 2: I thought he was.
Speaker 3: Gonna get picked off, but he didn't. But yeah, he carved those boys up. Do you think that Jordan Love has a claim of being the best quarterback in the NFC?
Speaker 2: So that is a wild statement, but it stop crazy. So I think the best quarterback in the NFC is Matt Stafford. Right now, I would have said Dak, but Dak is Stock takes such a hit with that playoff performance. Stafford Stock goes up a bit with his gutsy playoff performance. And but after Stafford, who are like, people are gonna say this is way too Yeah, but Cousins is now older and coming off of torn Achilles.
Speaker 3: People are gonna want to throw in there. People might be me, stop it, We're not put I mean, party's top three, okay, So here's.
Speaker 2: So here are the So let's just go through the NFC quarterbacks quickly, and quarterbacks that are good, We're gonna put in one bucket, Okay, Dak Jalen all right, one of your former guys, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell, they don't matter, Jared Goff, Jordan Love, Kirk Cousins, Justin Fields. Maybe one day we're not there. Baker, No, Derek Carr, no, Ridder no, Bryce Purty, Stafford, Gino Kyler. So there's ten guys, okay, ten guys that are worth a discussion here right now this moment. I think Jordan Love's got to be top three in the conference. Now. This also speaks to the fact that Caleb is about to be able to come in there and wreck shop on that entire conference. But yeah, I mean see about all that, Okay, Yeah, we will Caleb with his down thirty two touchdowns, five picks, another eleven rushing touchdowns.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, so golf and Stafford or where you're or you're not putting golf there? No, you haven't of golf, right, So it's oh, Stafford, is.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting I don't know if I'm putting golf ahead of Baker. For the record, Hey, I'm not. I'm not that impressed by Jared Goff, like I'm impressed by the Lions. I'm not that impressed by Jared Goff. No, I the I mean, I think it's right, Stafford Love, Dak and Jalen right now, half through your top four. It has gotta be. I mean it's and people who say, and maybe this is gonna look bad, and I feel a little squeamish about it. But Jordan Love is twenty one touchdowns one pick in his last nine games. I mean, the guy has been dealing. He's making off platform throws, different arm angles.
Speaker 3: Young pressure man, under pressure.
Speaker 2: Under pressure. All these games are huge games because they started four and six. It's pretty good, amazingly.
Speaker 3: So get up on the moment and put yours up there too. You can. Here's a room, Okay.
Speaker 2: In the last two and a half months, the only quarterbacks to beat Jordan Love or Tommy Cutlets and Baker Mayfield. Uh, it's really unbelievable. All right, let's play all under fold. Let all under fold ahead. First off, we got CJ.
Speaker 3: Jordan Love won, the only quarterback making his first startup playoffs start on fire. C J. Stroud dominated the best defense in the NFL Saturday. We know if that's the best defense any war. And he's younger than some of the top quarterbacks in the draft All Interfold, outside of Mahomes, Stroud is the best asset in the NFL. I'm not gonna lie many deep. He was carving them up with screen passes like he had a couple of people.
Speaker 2: But he also I mean he's throwing dimes. Yes, right now, Stroud is other than Mahomes. Yeah, Strout, it'd be it's Mahomes. And then the discussion between Stroud and Josh Allen is where the discussion would be with Kleb being in the next the number one pick of the draft, the value of that. But yeah, that's I agree with that. I agree with that.
Speaker 3: Next, Puka and Akup is already climbing into elite territory. After a two hundred yard game and a losing effort. You made the point this weekend that the list of top ten receivers is nearly thirty people long, All Interfold. Puka is a top ten ride receiver.
Speaker 2: All right, So this listen right now, Pook is looking like a top ten receiver. But the So, this is the point I was trying to make. What'sput of time? All the best athletes played running back. Then there were so many great running backs or good running backs. Running backs became expendable. Also, the game changed and running back salaries went down. I feel like we are approaching a wide receiver salary bubble, and I'll explain it. So go to my tweet if you would. So the tweet I wrote is theory I'm working on. There's a wide receiver salary correction coming, not due to the position losing importance like running backs, but due to their being I use the wrong They're there, that's terrible, due to there being too many great ones position deeper than ever used the right then than there though, and another load of draft last coming in a couple of years. There's gonna be a money squeeze on them. All right, show the next tweet. So I then did this exercise where I basically said, Okay, here are the wide receivers. I think we can show the next tweet. If not, I'm gonna have to re created. Okay, here we go, list of wide receivers who people might argue our top ten in no order, and I just kind of went team by team Stefan Diggs, Tyreek who's a no doubter, Garrett Wilson, Amari Cooper, Jamar Chase who's a no doubter, T Higgins, Nicocollins, Michael Pittman, Davonte Adams, Keenan Allen, Ceedee Lamb who's a no doubter. AJ Brown is a no doubter, Davonte Smith, a monros Saint Brown, Justin Jefferson who's a no doubter, DJ Moore, Mike Evans, Brandon Auk Deebo, Samuel Cooper, cup Pukinakua, DK Metcalf. You then add to it first and second year studs like Zay Flowers, Tank Dell Rashi, Rice Jaden Reid from Green Bay, Chris Olave, and Drake London and I forgot Jordan Addison. So that's twenty nine guys, right. You then have Marvin Harrison, Junior, Malik Neighbors and roam A Doonza coming in from college. That's thirty two guys that people think of top ten talent. So I did not mention guys like Terry McLaurin or Calvin Ridley, for instance. Okay, the and so because of that, those guys' salaries are gonna get squeezed. I believe Calvin Ridley's a free agent this year. Sounds like, oh man, that's a number one receiver. Number one receivers make north of twenty Tyreek makes thirty twenty, you know, twenty five million a year. But if Calvin Ridley is the thirty fifth best receiver in the league, what's that worth. He's good to be the best the you know, before the emergence of Rashi Rice, be the best receiver on the Chiefs, be the best receiver on the Patriots. Uh so what is it worth? And so there's so many good ones now that I think there's a salary squeeze coming. But Pook has been unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. All right.
Speaker 3: Next, did you see that little thing where it said like there's a bunch of old teammates that Stafford played with, Like a lot of a lot of his teammates break records because of him, like because he's the guy.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't see that. Oh yeah, I mean he's had a couple other people. I mean, Calvin is one of the greatest players ever. He would have broken records with or without a but record got the trifecta Pooka Nukua Like, yeah, no, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that all right, next, so it didn't have a great gal I know, hold on real quick, sorry, demonse, and I know we're short on time, but I want to do this real quick. Can we put back up my wide receiver to my wide receiver? Tweet sorry to the production staff. I know it's a pain in the ass. I just want to see if we can. All right, let's put it back up. If we had to make an actual top ten so I said, Tyreek, Chase, Lamb, Brown, and Jefferson are no doubt there. Okay, So let's do this like we did the Hall of Fame and see how who we can potentially get else get in there. Just looking at it. Davante is still a top ten receiver, so he's in. Aman Ross Saint Brown is a top ten receiver, so he's in. Mike Evans is still a top ten receiver, so he's in. And we just said Pokinaku is a top ten receiver.
Speaker 3: So he's in how many is that?
Speaker 2: That's nine. That's nine. So that means I'll list the other guys. There's room for one of these players is a top ten receiver. And that's before Marvin Harrison Junior and company come to the league. Stefan Diggs, Garrett Wilson, Amari Cooper, T. Higgins, Nicocollins, Michael Pittman, Keenan Allen, Davonte Smith, DJ Moore, Brandon Auk, Deebo, Samuel Cooper, cup DK Metcalf, Zay Flowers, Tank Debt. Well, those first second year guys aren't there yet a Lave London reas. This is too hard, Addison too hard. That's my point. Top ten list with twenty people in it. All right, now we can go to the next thing. Let's go to Tua to it did have a.
Speaker 3: Great game for the Dolphins and moster and a chain a chan sorry a chan combine for just fourteen carries all in her fold. Mike McDaniel deserves more, blame.
Speaker 2: Deserves a little listen. He it seemed was too cold. I know that sounds ridiculous, but they.
Speaker 3: Were too cold.
Speaker 2: They was just too cold. And this is a point that I made last week, but I'm gonna make it again. Weird spot right now, finesse speed teams can thrive in the NFC, come the playoffs, and cannot in the AFC. So if we're trying to kind of project moving forward, demanse the best teams in the NFC over the next few years, you would say Dallas, Philly, Detroit, Green Bay, San Francisco, Los Angeles. Those are the six teams kind of set up the best, right Dallas Detroit are in a dome, San Francisco, Los Angeles or warm Weather if you really want to believe in Tampa, which I'd love for people to include them, their warm Weather as well. Philly and Green Bay are the only two teams that if you are if they're hosting playoff games, you better be built for the cold. Okay, now, let's talk AFC. The team's best set up Kansas City, Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Miami. There it's the it's the reverse. Only two of those teams are warm Weather or a dome, Houston or Miami. So if you're in the AFC and you're trying to get to a Super Bowl, if you don't get a home field advantage. You're sure as how better be built for the outdoors because the playoffs are gonna be outdoors and you're in the NFC. You can kind of build a track team in the short term and the AFC ain't gonna work that way. Just something interesting to monitor, because that's you know what I mean, is that kind of ebbs and flows? Uh and yeah, Mike mcdanie, listen, Mike McDaniel did all he could with an undersized, limited quarterback. By the way, that's another thing. Oh my gosh, Nick, when are you gonna give two his respect? I'm not into this whole mass group think of. Let's just so much of the media evaluation of football the last few years has operated as if the games weren't televised. It's like, well, here you go, guys, here's Tua's numbers versus Patrick Mahomes's numbers. How can you argue Mahomes has been better? And it's like because the games are on TV, that's why. Oh my goodness, gracious, Nick, why won't you give Tua and brock Purty their respect? Because you get to watch them play and party, by the way, is better than Tua. Perty has impressed me more than Tua. But it's the same thing. It's like the if we talked about the Dolphins the way we talked about the Niners all year long, it would have been, Oh, what more does to it need to prove? He scored seventy points, he leads the league in passing yards. Oh, you're gonna hold against him that he has Tyreek Hill And it's like, no, I'm holding against him that he's undersized and can't throw row a ball thirty yards in a stiff wind. That's what I'm holding against him. Oh, Nick, But his anticipatory throws, the way he tricks defenders with his eye movement, these are the things people were grasping for when it's like, yeah, I got it. You're gonna have to grasp for those things because you're someone at a job interview who you know what I mean, had a seven year gap in your employment history. And you're like, well, listen, I you know I was helping out some family and you know I was, you know, really finding myself. You don't have answers, And the answer is he's too little and not a good enough athlete. Sorry, it's pro sports. Like that's the thing that frustrates me. Sometimes people are like, oh my god, you hold pedigree against guys. Pedigree do you know what pedigrees is sending him for how good you've been your whole life. That's what pedigree is, and that works for or against you in everything. And people were like, Oh, you don't like the undersized guys. It's sports. No, I don't unless you're Leo Messi. If you're undersized, it's gonna hurt you. It's sports guys, bigger, stronger, faster, it matters. And people are like, like, I'm just curious. Has any one person looked at the Chiefs Bills one of the biggest games of the year is coming up. Anybody who's commenting on that game checked the weather. No, you know why, because nobody gives a shit because they're like, oh, Mahomes and Allen, it doesn't matter with Tua, it was the whole story. They were like, oh my goodness, gracious, it's gonna be too cold. It's football.
Speaker 3: Lawrence is there though, like if Trevor Lawrence had to go.
Speaker 2: And Trevor's a weird spot because Trevor sixty six has a strong arm, but he just can't handle the cal it's actually I mean, you could argue for Trevor, it's more of an indictment because it's not a physical limitation thing. But that I'm glad you brought up Trevor. Nick, Why do you like Trevor so much? Listen, Trevor had a down year and Trevor, you notice I didn't include the Jags on the team set up the best for success. I didn't include him when I was talking about the teams you know, the players you'd most want. But the reason you can I can at least still believe that at some point he can be the player we've seen flashes of is because he does have the physical tools. It is available to him. It is that there is a similar reason demonse where And I'm gonna use a bad analogy, but I'll use it. If you didn't play basketball for three years, just didn't touch a basketball, and I hired a personal trainer and work out five times a week for those three years, and then people just and then you and I were in a gym together, both shooting around and I'm out there, my form is perfect, all of these things. I'm doing everything right, and you like your shots a little off. You're not looking great, and then like near the end of the warm up, you'd put you threw down a windmill dunk, which you can and someone walked out of there and they were asked, Hey, who do you think would win in one on one? If someone was like, well, th guy did just shoot ninety percent, looks like he's been practicing, has all of it. But I'm gonna take the other guy because I just believe in him more. They wouldn't be wrong. And even if in the short term I got the best of you, in the long term, you're going to get the best of me. Like and so I know that sounds simplistic, but people are like, oh, Drew Brees did it, Russell Wilson did it? Yes, and the O four Pistons won a title without a superstar. It's not that it's impossible. It's that whenever you have to go to the hey, here's the one guy in history this applies to It's like, Okay, you have Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. I have the other forty best quarterbacks. Ever, so you have those two, I have everyone else. It's like, why can't brock Purty do it? Tom Brady was a sixth round pick like, I don't know, because you keep having to go to Tom Brady as your examples. Tom Brady also went to Michigan in his six ' five and is awesome six ' four. So I just I it's just so obvious. And sometimes the media, I think, tries to be more fair than they try to be honest. People think it is mean and unfair that when Tua is leading the league in all the passing categories and his team is scoring thirty five points a game, that it is unfair to have any opinion other than man gotta give him our respect. No we don't. I respect him as a person, but I can be a fair evaluator of I watch the games, So all right, I I listen, this is gonna be I thought there's gonna be a fast show. There's gonna be one of the long la No, it wasn't. It was Tua. It was I mean, people now are gonna tear down Mike McDaniel. Here's the thing. People were like, oh, is it time we start scrutinizing Mike McDaniel. Mike McDaniel is now being u He's a victim of the fact that he got the absolute most any coach could ever get out of tou made him look way better than he ever was. And then when it's timed for big boy football, playing Steve Spagnolo's defense in the playoffs in the cold and Tua is awful, they were like, why didn't McDaniel run the ball more? Well, why would he?
Speaker 3: You guys said all year?
Speaker 2: Be at quarterback, quick break, right back, What's right? Welcome back in What's Right? With Nick Wright Episode two o eight. All right, So I was gonna spend a long time on this, I've decided against it. There was an unfortunate incident at the Bulls game this weekend when they were retiring, and let's not even show the picture. It's kind of sad. They were commemorating the championship teams and Jerry Krouse, who passed away seven years ago, was the first picture they put up. The whole Bulls crowd booed, and they showed that he's not there because he's dead. His elderly wife is there and she's crying because the whole crowd's booing her passed away husband, and everyone used the opportunity to scold Bulls fans who I don't think knew that the lady was there, but regardless, and nobody seemed to want to say the obvious thing, which is, we all know whose fault this is, right, Uh, we know who absolutely vilified Jerry Krause while he was alive, while he was running the team, and then more unforgivably after he passed away in the Last Dance documentary, just crushed him when he had no way to defend himself. And it's also the guy who couldn't have been who wasn't you know, couldn't be bothered to show up to that ceremony. It's Michael Jordan. So while everyone's scolding bulls fans, when your local sports icon has told all of these people for more than a quarter century, this guy is a villain. This guy was working against us. Don't then blame the fans when they think they are reacting the way Michael would want them to, and all of a sudden, the casualty of that is this poor old lady who didn't deserve any of it. All, Right, Demanse, what are some of the listener questions before we get out here? Because I got to run.
Speaker 3: Terrible no limit to dot, asked Nick, where did the cowboys go? From here after getting embarrassed.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they fire McCarthy and try to get Belichick and see if Belichick can get the defense right enough and get the most out of deck. I think that's what they do next.
Speaker 3: Sebastian Carrosskillo asked, are the Eagles this year edition of last year's Vikings?
Speaker 2: Are the Eagles this year's edition of last year's Vikings? Yeah? But way more embarrassing because they uh, because they were, I mean they they've been to the Super Bowl, and because they were, they had such higher x ME weapons and the Vikings never the Vikings never full on fell apart. The Eagles were ten and one and then lost six of seven and were a total disaster. All right, last one, Pick your favorite one.
Speaker 3: Let's see will will catch ask question for demands, what is your favorite take on this year? You were one hundred percent right on over Nick Jordan Love Lamar, Jordan Love Lamar and the Ravens making the playoffs so many to choose from, Like, wow, I gotta say, man, the Jordan love one made me feel really good, like I was. I watched that game and I was just like really excited.
Speaker 2: Both you and I were diametrically opposed on Jordan Loves. You know, I mean.
Speaker 3: I did say. I did say that he was going to be a top five quarterback in the next Like I said this verbally to you, and you like scoffed at it. You were like, oh, that's that's generous.
Speaker 2: Let's do it again.
Speaker 3: Jordan Love is going to be a top five quarterback in the next three years. Yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 4: That's still ridiculous. That's still okay. So now it's documented. Yeah, yeah, it's still three years. All right, sweet in the next.
Speaker 3: I'm sinking by it. He's okay.
Speaker 2: At my point is at no point?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So when when is he going to be better? Then let's just go through it real quick, Patrick, Mark, Patrick Stroud, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow. When's it going to be better than any of those five? In the next I didn't even mention anybody else. Okay, all right, we'll see good show, good job, demands. Talk to you guys. I got Colin, I got the show. I think accounts, podcasts got a lot to do. I gotta run see you guys later. What hey, it's snicker right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demansey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And your audio listeners, people that have commutes, drives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out, Appreciate you.