Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Oh holy do it's Behind the Bastards a podcast where I finally learned how to open my podcast. I think we figured it out. I think we get it locked down.
Speaker 3: Oh who do we do as a keeper?
Speaker 2: That's a keeper, that's a keeper.
Speaker 3: I think yesterday was Duberger.
Speaker 2: That that that one was. That one was a fuck up. It was a disaster, not calamity.
Speaker 3: I just think it would be hard to remember to how to do it. And again, you're doing.
Speaker 2: Great, Yeah, because I have to get every syllable right, obviously, Yeah, yea do much easier, easy to remember. I can see it on T shirts. People are going to be getting tattoos of this in like a month.
Speaker 3: Sounds like something you would say if like a fancy person corrects you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now speak of things that are going to be on T shirts in a month. Look, I don't know how that actually leads us into part two. When we ended part one, Eliza Fraser and her husband were taken there. I have no I don't know, Sophie. I just I just transitioned sometimes when I'm speaking, and it just usually doesn't work very well. We mostly edit in the ones where it did. But that one was a failure. You know, I could admit that Jamie.
Speaker 1: Did send me that send me that picture of the two of us when we did that one live show when we wore each other's shirts with each other's faces on it and didn't acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was good. That was a good move. But you know, it's a visual joke. I tried to do too many of those because most people listen to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, who do he do? Look, who's a professional podcast?
Speaker 2: All a sudden, that says the guy you hired me to do podcast?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Now, speaking of getting hired, Eliza Fraser has kind of gotten a job, which is trying not to die while living as part of a civilization that survives off the land, a thing that she doesn't know how to do, and it's not going well.
Speaker 3: She doesn't understand and they don't understand her.
Speaker 2: Right that no one speaks to each other's language, right, right, it's not going great. So we should probably peel back a bit more to talk about the Bachilla's contacts with European civilization outside of Captain Cook and the odd Ausy prison escapee. Right, we talked about that last time, their first contact. The fact that these prisoners have been like coming in like individually for a while and getting adopted too often. When we discussed kind of the ethnographies of indigenous people being colonized, we sort of dropped like, here's what they believed about the world pre contact, and then we kind of leave it at that. But again, these are not static civilizations, right, no more than you know the Europeans themselves were, and they adapted their beliefs many times in light of new knowledge about how the world worked. As I noted in the last episodes, the natives of what was at that point known to the Europeans as Indian Head Island and was called Gari by the people then and now, they interpreted their first sights of white people to be spirits returning from the dead. But whiteness symbolized death in every way, right, and so they didn't just respond to white people as if they were returning deceased relatives. Sometimes that would happen. You'd meet someone in like a member of the tribe, would get good vibes from them. Basically it'd be like, oh, you know what, I think, that's like my dad or whatever, you know, my kid or something like that who died recently, But that is not the only way they reacted. Death was always involved in their reaction, but it wasn't always like, oh, this must be a member of the tribe returned. As doctor Peter Lower wrote, their whiteness was symbolic of death, mourning, and apprehension, and so sometimes people were like, oh, no, it's a bad omen that there's white people here, right, because that means like the dead, or like it's this is this is a dark thing that's happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was always my interpretation, and it's why I'm always so nervous right in America.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, it's really terrible place for you to live.
Speaker 3: Like, ooh, I feel like the vibes are off everywhere.
Speaker 2: Looking in the mirror. Oh no, the go dear God, it's me in August of seventeen. I mean, looking in the mirror does make you think of your own mortality sometimes. But in August of seventeen ninety nine, which is about thirty years after Captain Cook's voyage, an English boat called the Norfolk put ashore on the Great Sandy Island. Captain Matthew Flinders went ashore with a party of men to find water and food near a place called Wootomba Creek. As was usually the case, Flinders was mixed up and believed he'd found Australia and the Highland was just a promontory. That's constantly they have no idea where they are. These people the maps are shit, they're bad at reading them. They're all drunk. Now they're not just drunk, they're heavily armed. And while it's a lot of fun to be heavily armed and drunk, it's also very dangerous for the people around you. And Flinders and his crew were part of like the shoot first and never asked questions ever, like school of being a colonizer who's drunkenly landed on an island. And so when like a group of Nogoulungbara tribes people who's like I think they with the people who live in the south of Ghari Island, they like come up to see these new people have landed, and they do what normally happens, like okay, well let's go look at this, and Flinders and his crew just start shooting, like they just they just start blasting immediately right, They like fire a cannon at the tribe for no apparent reason, and the tribe runs away, which is a reasonable thing to do when someone shoots at you. Now, this we don't know if this was, you know, anyone on the island's first experience with gunfire, but it's the first recorded one we have, And we have a record of this from one of their songs, which roughly translated states that one of the white men quote two times, held up something and made loud noise and smoke Kong kong. I think that's how they onum on a pia the sound of gunfire, which is you know, not bad perfectly. Yeah. So one thing that's so interesting to me about this story is that it's a really good example again of how much accurate historical information can be passed down through the centuries in an oral tradition like this. Because the captain's men also reported firing twice. So you have both this song and like documentation from the sailors that they shot twice.
Speaker 3: I find them down across history, totally unrelated from one another.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting, yeah, because usually when you're like, well, these people have an oral tradition of storytelling, it's discussed as like storytelling, it's like myth, but like, no, this is no this is not really necessarily less accurate than like a fucking newspaper in London at the time, right, which is also a lot of times wrong or filled with lies, right like. And I'm not saying the songs are all like the songs. Clearly, this is people recording their history. So people always have an agenda when recording their history. But it's also a lot of very very accurate grain gets through in the history as a result of this, these oral these songs, which I think is really interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, we made up Paul Revere just because of name rhymed right right. Song is not always the our best way of recording things, right, So it's kind of impressive that they're getting the right number of shots down through tons.
Speaker 2: It's often very good and so that's all I'm saying. It's not that like you shouldn't view you know, these oral like stories that the people on Ghari are surely is like one hundred percent you know, accurate history all the time, but you shouldn't view it as just like mythology, right right. This is an attempt at recording history, and like all attempts, like herodotus, it's not perfect, but you shouldn't see it as like less accurate than herodotus, right. And the term for this mix of singing and dancing and storytelling to preserve history among the people of Ghari Island is called a corroboree. That's the term I found for it. So yeah, After one of Flinder's men fired upon the Nagoulungbara, Peter Lower writes, one of their number, women, Gala, who hid in the nearby bushes, watched the whites collecting water and killing some wild fowl with their terrible weapons returning to the ship. Their heads are like Dingo's tails, the corroboree continued, impossible reference to the sailor's plaited hair or the kerchiefs they wore as head covering like the ceremonial Dingo tail headbands of the adult males of the tribe. The paddles are woods or like wood shaped by the fire. They're ongoing attempt by the Aboriginal people to relate the inexplicable to what could be culturally comprehended is thus most apparent in these careful observations. And again like yeah, you get like these recordings of how they looked, and they're trying to kind of comparing their appearance to like their own appearance, right. Like, it's this really the amount of like fidelity you get in this attempt of one culture to comprehend another in some ways, in a lot of ways, much better than the European accounts of the same thing I find really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the European account being like they're basically animals. Now you tried to like shoot at them where they ran away like animals.
Speaker 2: The Nagoulambara are trying to kind of do their own anthropology. They're trying to get in these people's heads to understand like why are you doing what you're doing? What are right? Which, yeah, it's just really interesting to me. So Flinders returned to the island in eighteen o two, which is three years later, with a party of scientists to collect plants, and an aboriginal person from the mainland named Bongaree like was brought with them. So they take this indigenous person from like the mainland with them because he can probably talk to these guys, and they manage to make some sort of friendly contact with the Nagoulungbara, who are understandably nervous because the last time they saw this guy he shot at them and they could see guns like in the hands of men on the island and know what they mean. Now, Flinders tried to bribe them with an offering of blubber from porpoises, and he's like, well, this is a valuable gift by my standards, because like animal fat is useful for cooking. But the islanders didn't hunter kill porpoise because they to them, the porpoise drive the mullet and whiting fish into their nets, so they see them as allies, like we work with the Porpoise's really fucked up for you to kill them. They're like our friends who help us get food. Why did you murder one?
Speaker 3: They're like the fish shepherd, Yeah, he just killed him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's useful.
Speaker 3: Hey, we killed your friend. Do you want some of this? Do you want some of the stuff in their body? Man?
Speaker 2: Why don't these people like this stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's it's yeah anyway, So for the next about that's like kind of the last well documented contact between the Europeans and people on the island for like thirty years or so, right, even though there's some ships that semi regularly stop and obviously some convicts who find their way. This is like when Eliza Fraser lands, they're like last contacts, detailed contacts with Europeans that they had stories of were like, yeah, they tried to kill us and then they killed one of our friends. So it's kind of amazing that they treat her and her fellow shipmates so well given that history.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of a less of the white Gods descended from the sea and more of a these assholes again, yeah type situation.
Speaker 2: And it you know, this is something I don't think we have perfect texture on, but it does kind of seem like by the time they take her in, they have moved on to like, yeah, these probably aren't the dead return. These are like some kind of assholes, some species of assholes, specific assholes they're clearly willing to be like, but maybe not all of them suck. Well, we'll try to stop these people from dying, right, So again, we'll discuss further how Eliza described them as cruel and vicious, But it is also important to note that other survivors of this shipwreck talk very differently about this people. Robert Darje is often considered the most dependable and reliable source of first hand accounts from the Sterling Castle survivors, and he described the locals as treating them very hard and stated, we had to work severely to get fish in kangaroos. But it's also clear he understood that this hardness was a product of the difficulty of survival on the island, and added, I cannot call them a cruel people. So like, yeah, they we had to work. It's difficult, but like they weren't mean this is just the only way to live there.
Speaker 3: Fucking doarj Dargy, great last name. It does sound like somebody I used to get ship faced with. Yeah, Dargy Dargy.
Speaker 2: You might compare Eliza's situation in this to like a post apocalyptic story where some Instagram influencer flees the city and finds refuge in an off grid farm and they're like taken care of, but like they have to learn how to work, right. It's it is kind of like this that sort of situation. Right, This is like a middle class person who's now having to learn how to live off the land, and she seems to have taken grave offens to this. Peter Lower notes in his excellent History of the Island. It was later reported that Missus Fraser was compelled to dragon wood for the fires and fetch water with as much cruelty as the Gins themselves. This is from like a piece of reporting at the time that's obviously a on the like on the slur spectrum.
Speaker 3: Right Gins themselves. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that seems bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as she herself claim, she was constantly beaten when incapable of carrying the heavy loads they put upon me. Now, Lauer does go into some detail about how hideously traumatic the crew's experiences before this had been, and when they came upon the Bachola it was late winter, the most meager season of the year, which means that not only were Eliza and Ufellow's starving, but everyone kind of was. The shipwrecked survivors had gone through a shipwreck, so they were ill. They're not good for a lot of work initially, which means they're being supported by the resources of people who are hungry themselves. When interviewed later, surviving Islanders described the shipwreck survivors as being incapable of foraging, quote at which even small children were expert. So like, even our little kids are better at living than you, guys, Like, what the fuck is wrong with you? And their incompetence was galling enough that it may have provoked VI.
Speaker 3: She just would have been so easy for them to if they were even to die, if they were as cruel as like any aspect of this universe asks us to believe, it would have been so easy for them to just kill them like they they are not useful to them.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not helping, they're not making anyone's life better right now. Robert Darje also came to expect uh yeah, And this is what I find Diars interesting because like he's not like sugarcoating the situation. He's like, you know, I did face hostility from some of them. Some of them even like tried to do violence to me, and I think it was because the last time they met Europeans they'd been shot. Quote. I believe that the reason some had such a hatred of me was that soldiers had wounded them. I observed lost his leg had a desperate hatred of me, and he tried to kill me three or four times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, the guy a leg off. But the guy, yeah. Did they were they armed at this point?
Speaker 2: Yes? They still they have some sort of arms. It's unclear to me how well they're able to use them. There are reports that they had guns, but obviously I don't know how much powder they got away with. I don't know how damaged the weapons were by the water and the shipwreck, so they may not have been and super usable, right, got it? Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's interesting to me that, like again, like these shipwrecks also are not a monolith. You know, you've got Eliza who's gonna tell these fucked up stories, and you got Dars. She's like, yeah, this guy tried to kill me, but he had his leg blown off by a cannon, So like I get it, you know, like, yeah, I'd probably be pretty pissed for.
Speaker 3: Literally no reason. Like they were doing our favorite pastime at that time, which was watching a ship come in and like what's happening those basically the movies back then. Yeah, we'dn't go down to the dock and wave at a ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people shot them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they had shot with a fucking can Jesus.
Speaker 2: And so that's probably when we talk about like some people were like would have been violent when these folks like failed to do their choice. Well, maybe some of the reason why they were forceful is that they'd had friends and family killed or been injured themselves by European guns, you know, not the craziest scenario wild take. Yeah, So you know, there's some other things happening here. There's all this kind of lingering belief that these people have something to do with return to spirits, and like when someone dies, you burn their shelter because it's bad luck to have the shelter around the spirit might get stuck there. And so there was this attitude that like, well, they don't need to sleep indoors, right, which is bad for them, you know, like it doesn't make this any more comfortable, sure, but they're not trying to be assholes by doing that. Probably the kind of darkest matter of conflict here is the matter of what happened to Captain Fraser. We don't know exactly, but Eliza's husband was killed or died soon after they were taken in by the tribe. Eliza would later claim that about after about five weeks with the Bachola, she saw her husband trying and failing to drag a log for like the fire, and he was in bad health and not able to do this very well. And as she described it, a hunting party returned home empty handed. And for some reason one of the men stabbed Captain Fraser in the chest.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: I was horrified to see it emerge several inches through his chest. I pulled this fear from his body and from his mouth. An immense quantity of blood spouted, and he died. She furthermore claimed that after this two other survivors were tied to stakes and executed by sun exposure. Confusingly, she also claims that several crewmen who escaped were burnt, but others were taken to the mainland. There is no evidence of this but her account, and in fact, there is no evidence that any survivors of the shipwreck died on Fraser Island at all. The chief officer, Charles Brown, who Eliza claims was burnt at the stake, died on the Australian mainland. Her husband died at Lake Cutharaba, which is also on the mainland, and he was in fact stabbed with a spear at some point, although this did not kill him immediately like she claimed. Instead, it seems like what happened is like someone slapped him in annoyance with a spear which caused like a superficial wound, but he was sick and it got infected, and so two weeks later he dies as a result of the injury, right, which is a very different story on the mainland. Yeah, on the mainland. Also because they take them to the mainland.
Speaker 1: He was so annoying that somebody spar spear slapped him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to death.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what it sounds like. We don't know, because again she lies about all this, Like she says it happens on the island. They are taken off the island, like by the Butchola. It doesn't happen there. The guy she claims is burnt to death definitely isn't burnt to death, And her husband isn't just like impaled and bleeds to death immediately, like he suffers a light wound that gets infected and he dies two weeks later.
Speaker 1: This is a big episode for the women. Lie guys, Yeah maybe, I mean I didn't trust her from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of lies, that's kind of what advertisements are.
Speaker 3: Sure, beautiful lies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful lies. Believe them, just like Australian people believed Eliza. Ah ah, and we are back. So in all, Eliza spent about three months with the Batchola and By the time she was rescued by her fellow Europeans, she'd been moved to the mainland. Her rescue was affected largely thanks to an Irish convict named John Graham, who's another one of these really cool guys you hear about in this story that I want more about. Yeah, he had previously wound up on Fraser Island, so he was he was a convict who had like escaped to Fraser Island and he had been taken in by locals who adopted him as Moilo, the spirit of an elder who had died recently, And he basically been taken in by the old man's wife and sons and spent six years living as part of the family and then headed back to the mainland.
Speaker 1: What is happening in this?
Speaker 2: In this, I mean people could just do stuff back then, Like there was it was really easy to die doing stuff, but you had a lot of options for you know what, I'm going to live a completely different kind of life now for like six years.
Speaker 1: Bye, I'm still stuck on you're annoying. I'm gonna spear you in.
Speaker 2: The I have definitely met some people that had I had a spear in hand. I would have slapped them with it. Now, thankfully, we have modern methods of cleaning spear wounds here, so every time I've done that, I've been able to stop them from, you know, dying of an infection.
Speaker 3: It would have been a friendly spear slap to the chest.
Speaker 2: Oh, it wouldn't have been friendly. But so anyway, this guy John Graham, right, he'd spent six years or so living with the Batola, and then he had returned to European civilization and he had gotten imprisoned again. Right, so he's he's in custody. But when members like folks from the Pinnis who had like left, get back and are like, yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: Spelling, by the way, I just have to ask.
Speaker 2: The pennis p I n n acee.
Speaker 3: Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: So when they get back, people are like, hey, there's more shipwrecked victims that are out somewhere near this island, you know, off the coast. We should go get them.
Speaker 3: They tried.
Speaker 2: They start to, like local authorities start to put together a rescue party, and someone's like, well, there's this dude in prison, John Graham, who like lived on that island for a while. He probably knows how to talk to people and can probably find them right from the rock. Basically, yes, yes, this is a this is this is the Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there's only one man who knows in there.
Speaker 2: He's in the island is where he went to escape from prison as the prison.
Speaker 3: Was in its complicated but yeah. Basically.
Speaker 2: In his book Irish Convict Lives, author DJ mulvaney describes Graham stripping himself as soon as he's like, yeah, I'll go, I'll go rescue these people. He strips naked, greases himself up, and then leaves with bread and a potato.
Speaker 3: And which is what you did immediately after accepting my offer to work at a at iHeart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I stripped naked, he creased myself bread and a potato and we're out the door. Yeah. I know it sounds like I'm being like racist to Irish people, but that is what the history says is He's just march up with your Brendona potato. According to Fianz, who's like one of the authorities at the time, Graham stripped off his close, greased himself up with charcoal and greece, and set off to seek information, armed only with some bread and and a potato. He was soon welcomed back among his people, observing customary ritual by sharing his carbohydrate rich food with them around the fire. That night, he learned of the presence of two young ghosts across Lake Kurobora.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He offered tomahawks to those who brought them to him, for he's stressed. They were my sons. So maybe he's not working like he's looking for like two men who were among the shipwrecked people. He's not really thinking about Eliza for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: Oh, those are the ghosts, are the white Yeah, shipwrecked victims.
Speaker 2: Right, That's how he's talking about it to his people on Fraser Island and they're like, well, we already actually took them across like the strait to the mainland. They're over you know, by this lake now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Just a world class bullshitter who's like yeah. And then I told them that they.
Speaker 2: Were ghosts and they're my sons, my other kids, the only.
Speaker 3: Way they could possibly understand.
Speaker 2: He's got the he's Irish, he's got the gift of gab and he and he brought up potato, so you know they're endeared to him. You bring me a potato and some axes. I'm going to be your friend.
Speaker 3: Based on his behavior and having nothing to do with his Irish heritage, I'm going to be forced to assume that he was shitfaced this whole time.
Speaker 2: One has to guess, right, I'm not. I'm not going off on this mission sober.
Speaker 1: Was the taking all of his clothes off and greasing up.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, maybe he does this like on the boat when they get him near the island. But the way the story is it like he's like in Sydney, had just stripped naked.
Speaker 3: They're like halfway through giving him the assignment and he's already taking his clothes off.
Speaker 2: This guy got his dick out immediately. He was down. Anyway, to make a long story short, Graham saves the day. He rescues a couple of the remaining crew members and Eliza Fraser, for which he was rewarded with his freedom, and he went on to live an apparently law abiding life. There's a book about him called John Graham, Convict eight teen twenty four that was published by Robert Gibbings in nineteen thirty seven. Grandma, but he doesn't really seem to have done much after this. He at least doesn't wind up in trouble again, So good for you, John Graham.
Speaker 3: Fucking Grambo, guys, a legend.
Speaker 2: Granbo. Yeah yeah, loves being naked and covered in grease.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking animal dude.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Grambo, Eliza wound up back in Sydney, where she spent several months recovering physically from the trauma of the journey and crafting the first versions of what will soon be her famous story. Her exact motivations after this point will forever be unclear. There are many things we know that she lied about, such as the nature of several of the deaths of her crewman, But then there are things that may be down to interpretation. For example, perhaps she interpreted the behavior of the Bachila as cruel when it was not, and felt a need to punish them by lying and exaggerating what had occurred. The idea of an English lady living among Aboriginal people on an island for months tidillated white society, not just in Sydney but around the globe. And we kind of we have global media by the mid eighteen thirties. Newspapers and stuff get around, so this story doesn't just stay in Sydney. For very long. In addition to that, like people are leaving constantly Sydney on boats and they're spreading the story around the whole British Empire. Eliza gives her first version of events when she's still in Moreton Bay in September of eighteen thirty six, and this was noted by Peter Lower, the historian, as being the least sensational version of the story she would provide. He writes that this version of events was quote gradually embroidered with new horrors in Sydney and London for the titillation of eager audiences and anticipation of financial recompense.
Speaker 3: Right like basically a stand up routine that like they're just like working on their material. They're seeing what gets a reaction, they're steering it in that direction.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's also and there's a little bit of like a go fundme situation here where she's like because she is raising like donations to help her for this, and she's kind of like the original story, I got to if I'm going to really get donations, I gotta make people feel sorry for me, if they're going to open their pocketbooks.
Speaker 3: Here. It's a good system. Capitalism it's great love. I love the way it works. Oh my husband is dead. I'm going to have to tell enormous, harmful lies in order to get people to give me their money, because otherwise I'll starve to death.
Speaker 2: It's simply the only way to succeed. There is some debate that she may have been coaxed along injuicing up the story by her second husband, the man she married not long after be like within weeks of being rescued another captain. She's got a type John Green, and at least one version of Evince is that Green helps her massage and maybe even written the second version of the story into something that was more fit to win sympathy and money from the English citizen rate, because he takes her from Sydney to London, right, and they get a bunch of donations in Sydney with the first version of the story enough that she's doing well. She's got like enough money to start a new life, and she's also now married to a captain. But he takes her to London, where they publish another version of events and they start raising money again to compensate for Miss Fraser now missus Green's trauma. Eliza again she's like has done pretty well previously, which may have had something to do with why Green married her in February of the next year. But we don't really know that he wrote her version of events. The best evidence for this is that when they land in London, they published a more embellished version of the story, and the signature on this was different from how Eliza had signed her first account and how she'd signed documents in the past, and people wonder, oh, was Green just kind of forging her signature? Did like he do this?
Speaker 3: Right? We'll never know because I mean it's being written, so it must be the man right.
Speaker 2: Right, right right. And that's also a woman could never lie about things that happened to her for money.
Speaker 3: Yes, too ingenious. I also wonder like was there so element of like when people find out that she lived out there with this tribe for so long, Like is there some like looking askance and being like, uh, she went savage or you know that was like a big term at the time, Like.
Speaker 2: Yes, a wild European I think was another way they put it. A wild white person. Yeah, wild white man. That's what they call these convicts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's having to like do some reputation, like by acting like she was that they were mean to her and not that she was like accepted into the tribe as like helping her kind of save face a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's part of it too, because there's also all these myths or these rumors about like well, did she sleep with any of them or did any of them like rape her? Right, Like that's a that's a thing that people talk about, and she kind of plays into to an extent because again, it it increases the sympathy of the story a little bit, but you also can't go too far because it's bad for your reputation. Right, there's like a lot of patriarchal norms in the society that also play into how she's received and what she says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense, Like that feels like that's something that's got to be playing in there. That's got to be like at least a consideration for her and her new captain husband as they're like deciding. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the version of the story that she disseminates in London, the natives of Fraser Island, which had been named Fraser Island at that point. Again it's always called Gari, but people now call it Fraser Island because her husband had died there, even though he didn't die there, he died on the mainland. The people there are depicted as nightmare savages. She called her time with them a fate worse than death. She described them as cannibals, and she of course raised money from the people of London offer suffering. Now again, global media does exist by this point, and so as soon as she starts telling this story in London, there are people who had been in Sydney and traveled on different boats, maybe even on the same one, and we're like, well, she teared it. First off, she's raising money here. She just raised money in Sydney and she got a lot. And second it's a different story. Now is she telling you guys she doesn't have any money like this? This kind of seems fucked up, And so some people go to the London press, to journalists and are like, this lady might be a grifter, right, which actually causes a scandal, Like there's articles about this because she comes and she's initially everyone's really sympathetic and giving her money, and then there's stories that like she's she's raising money a second time off this story and it's different now, right.
Speaker 3: Which probably also doesn't really hurt the virality. The old timey virality of the story is.
Speaker 2: Controversy sells baby, no bad pr.
Speaker 3: Yeah, controversy. So now, yeah, the story isn't doesn't have like more legs if it's just like and that's messed up. Yeah, well there goes that story. Now it's like, wait that she might be the villain, yeah, the story actually and then yeah.
Speaker 2: This is why periodically I'll just make up a bastard to do episodes on. For example, Hitler, not a real guy. I just I just came up with him, you know, Joseph Stalin.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people who want to believe that you did make that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: He's actually a normal guy who gets a bad rap a lot.
Speaker 2: Just a painter, right, Yeah, look, Sophie, they can't all be Unfortunately, not all the bits are terrible. Actually, I don't know, they have to be bits. So this causes a scandal and there's a formal inquiry in London, which is where she gives her third and final version of her story. Right, so the third version of this story is like she hands gives out in court when she is questioned as to what happened. And this is the first version of the story where she claims she was forced to nurse a child by the island and that she had given birth to a baby who died. And maybe so part of why people say she may have lied about these things or even likely did is that like, well, she's in trouble when she first starts telling people about this, and maybe like that's why she brings this up, is she's like she doesn't want this inquiry to be meet like to judge her too harshly, so like, well, if they feel like my baby died and I had to like nurse this baby, who I am going to She describes the infant as subhuman. She calls it quote one of the most deformed and ugly looking brats my eyes ever beheld. She is very racist.
Speaker 3: It's also just like you made the point earlier that this it becomes like a Marvel cinematic universe of like multiple stories, like it is the writing process of a film where they're like the protects baby in there. Yeah, she's not like sympathetic enough and like they're not scary enough.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna make does she captain more likable.
Speaker 3: She captain lost a baby, and then she has to nurse basically like the alien from the Alien movies. You know, like that would really make things scary.
Speaker 1: Why didn't she try just stripping down in pouring grease all over herself and grabbing a potato. People seem to really like that.
Speaker 2: See, I mean, first off, Sophie, who wouldn't like that?
Speaker 3: That's that only works for men. Yeah, women who do that go to jail. Sorry, is she captain?
Speaker 2: She captain who does that would go right to jail. So disgust is also a major part of her narrative, and that is, like, you know, a major motivating factor for conservatives, like the kind of people who are going to be running a board of inquiry for the British Empire. Like, you get a reaction out of people by making them disgusted. So I don't think it's coincidental that she dials that up to ten for the version she gives when she's in trouble. Ultimately, the whole situation seems to have ended well enough for Eliza. She made a sizable amount of money off of her story and retires, probably with her second husband, to New Zealand, where she lives out the remainder of her days. So unfortunately she's one of yours.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, so we're good here, we're good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there's a there's a genocide. We got to talk about it. Yeah yeah. Yeah. So she disappears oll Eliza as a public figure not long after this point, but her story continues to spread about as fast as a story could spread in that period of time. In fact, variants of the Eliza Fraser story become a cottage industry in their own right for like a century or so, and I guess in a way, I'm continuing that tradition. The story first enters North America in eighteen thirty seven as a pamphlet titled Narrative of the Capture, Sufferings and Miraculous Escape of Missus Eliza Fraser. Scholar Olaine Brown writes that quote for American consumption, the illustrator dressed the Aboriginal people in loincloths, tunics, hose, and feather headdresses and gave them tomahawks, daggers and bows and arrows. So we just they just like are depicted as like a racist drawing of like indigenous American people because like otherwise American audiences won't get what the fuck they're looking at. Yeah, and also i have no idea what these people look at. I'm not doing any research before I draw this cover. Yeah. The first attempt at a serious historic account of the whole deal was John Curtis's The Shipwreck of the Sterling Castle, which gets published in London in eighteen thirty eight, so like a year after Eliza comes to London. Now Curtis is the closest thing to a journalist that existed in that era. And he had attended the inquiry in person and taken notes using the system of shorthand he'd invented himself. So he is. He's there for like her court appearance, and he takes notes on the story she tells. He reports on the case for the London Times, and he doesn't just listen to Eliza.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 2: Scholar Olaine Brown describes what he does is quote a little research of his own, so not a lot. It's good for him.
Speaker 3: Do your own research, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the equivalent of like he glances at wicked for like fucking Frasier Island is what it's called now. She describes his book as sympathetic to the survivors quote, Curtis made the most of his opportunity to produce a new Robinson Crusoe. He was dealing with a true story of shipwreck and an exotic setting on an unexplored Pacific shore, A cast of exceptional characters, the crew of a merchant's ship, the captain's lady, cool savages, red coated soldiers, and a heroic runaway convict. A story with unlimited possibilities for conflict, tragedy, and pathos.
Speaker 3: Sounds like he's thinking like a real journalist.
Speaker 2: Guys, right, right, right, right right, yeah, in that you journalists at this point are basically structure. Yeah, we talk about again this method of oral storytelling that you know is common on the people of Ghari in a lot of ways better than journalism at the time. So that quote comes from a paper that Elaine Brown wrote in nineteen ninety three titled The Legend of Eliza Fraser, A Survey of the Sources, which I would describe as useful but also too sympathetic to our grant Brown. The fact that, as we kind of discussed, a lot of misogyny is rooted in stories by other survivors that like called Eliza a liar and a she captain, but also the evidence strongly suggests that she did lie a lot, or at least let herself enter story be used by someone else who lied. Now, there is still a potentially sympathetic version of Eliza in this, a physically and mentally traumatized woman who, by several accounts, was not quite sane after her rescue and was easily manipulated both by this new husband and by a public hungry for stories of savage natives and a man who promised her some kind of security in future. Right, that is maybe what's going on here. We'll never really know.
Speaker 3: And at a time when yeah, like women are just like.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of options, treated like.
Speaker 3: Shit, not a lot of options immediately like view a you know, she captain, Yeah, she captain.
Speaker 2: And again she's just got a barrel of PTSD from this whole situation, and.
Speaker 3: There's gotta be so many like sec assistant sinuations happening. The fact that she survived living with these you know, religious tribe for that long. Right, Yeah, it's just a she captain. Sure, sure, sure, Sophia is really luxuriating in this, and I feel like it's good like going to become a new sound drop and then a T shirt and yeah, sure, whole brand of yeah merchandising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really going to squeeze more water from the rock. That is the Eliza Fraser story. So her lies were just what got the ball rolling right, whether or not you want to see her as like sympathetic and in some way a victim herself, or is fundamentally malevolent. What happens next is entirely out of her hand and is a malevolent process, Elaine Brown writes back in Sydney Press. Accounts of the shipwreck were synthesized for a chapter in Australia's first children's book, A Mother's Offering to Her Children, written by a lady Long resident in New South Wales, imprinted by the Sydney Gazette in eighteen forty one. The text is in the form of a rather mannered conversation between missus S and her children, Julius, Emma, Clara and Lucy. The dates and events mentioned are tediously detailed, but some idea of the tone of the work can be gained from Claria's exclamation on hearing of the death of the mate mister Brown. Such wanton barbarities fill one with horror and indignation and a wish to exterminate the perpetrators of such dreadful cruelties. So this is from a part of the book where they talk about one of the shipwreck survivors being murdered by the people of Gary Island and the response of one of her children to this is kill, we should exterminate the people who did this, right, Oh, we should exterminate the brutes.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Like that's that's literally a ligne in a children's book, you know, kid stuff, when we're talking about the way in which this story influences the genocide that's happening in this period. Literally, like the first major publication in Australia to use this story is like, yeah, we should murder the people who did this, all of them, right, So to continue with Brown's writing, thus emerged the third problem historians have faced in dealing with the fates of the Sterling Castle survivors. The mutually hostile attitudes subsequently assumed by both the White Bay Aboriginal people and the Europeans who learned of their supposed wanton barbarities through the worldwide publicity given to Eliza Fraser's story. An undercurrent of what poet Judith Wright calls the fear as Old as Kane runs through most European accounts. So you know it's bad. This is all going to be bad. Now, before we move on, I should note a coda to the Fraser story, which is that well, the early stories that went viral were very much focused on her as a heroic victim. The most popular early American account was an article for Knickerbocker magazine by Henry Yolden, who is the crewman who survived and hated Eliza and maybe stole everybody's water. He is the guy who goes viral in the US for a version of this story, and he describes her as a vixen. So again, maybe not himself the best source God.
Speaker 3: Also, everybody's just so horny back then.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're just like they cloak it. Yeah, the only fans is very primitive at that point.
Speaker 3: On the kid book front, I would just on Daily's Like, guys, we were just talking about this book written by Mike Huckabee called Kid's Guide to President Trump.
Speaker 2: That yeah, I don't think kids need that, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And one of the things one of the quotes was when people come to take This is him describing illegal immigration is when people come to take money and jobs without paying taxes, sneak in to sell drugs, commit other crimes, and in worst case commit acts of terrorism. So you know, as wild as continuing y.
Speaker 1: Is any of the current US ambassador Israel.
Speaker 3: And this is how one of the ways that it's actually like a weirdly popular way to uh kiss up to Trump is making a children's book about him, because I also I think it he likes the idea of being indoctrinating children, and it's also at his reading level, so he's like hell yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Again this book, this is the first like children's book published in Australia, comes out in eighteen forty one. A lot of the genocide we're talking about is like in the seventies and eighteen seventies, eighties, nineties, So it's going to be perpetrated and orchestrated by men who would have grown up as the generation.
Speaker 3: That was like, yeah, this was their green eggs and ham.
Speaker 2: Obviously that's not the only thing, right, It's not just this children's book makes them all do a genocide. But it's not like a non factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, background noise for their growing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So long after that account spreads in the US, in the eighteen eighties, another account is published claiming that an entirely different convict, a guy named Bracewell, had actually rescued Eliza, and Bracewell is the source of this. There's no evidence of this. There are some claims that maybe he's sexually assaulted Eliza. That's also not based on anything, and it's mainly just I only bring this up to note that, like fucking forty years later, people are coming with new versions of this story based on very evidence because it still sells. There's a book written about Bracewall's claims right by a guy named Russell in eighteen eighty eight, because there's still money in this shit, right.
Speaker 3: Like the jfk assassination. It's like, yes, people will keep telling and retelling the stories. Yes, and also everyone's so horny. Yeah. Oh, then there's this guy Bracewell who comes in and he's like.
Speaker 2: It's not really worth getting into. He may have had some involvement, but like it's not really worth talking about. What is worth noting is that Russell, the guy who writes this book about Bracewall's Claims in eighteen eighty eight describes how in the eighteen eighties, decades after Eliza left for New Zealand, there are side shows on the London streets featuring an Eliza impersonator recounting her story. Right, so like someone pretending to be her telling her story.
Speaker 1: I think she captain what's happening here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's awesome. Quote from Russell's book. Walking from Hyde Park down Oxford Street, I observed a man who was carrying over his shoulder one of those show advertisements. A large wooden square for nailed at the to the end of a long pole. On the calico with which it was covered was a bright colored daub which represented savages with bows and arrows, some dead bodies of white men and women which other savages were cutting up on the ground, and another squad was holding on spits to a large fire. It was amusing enough to stop me in my walk, horrible enough to impress the writing beneath this picture on my mind. Sterling Castle wrecked on the coast of New Holland Botany Bay, all killed and eaten by savages. Only a survivor, a woman to be seen. Sixpence admission and there's a lot there, right, Both that at this point the story has turned into all of these people were eaten by these savages, right, which like just is not a part it is not even like a part of the original versions of this story, right, it's just something people have admitted to make it more racist. And also you can see the old lady if you're just pay she'll talk to you about what happened, which is definitely not Eliza. We know that she is in So it's got to be assuming he didn't just make this up. I don't think he would. This has to be like a show where someone's like, we'll just get some old late to pretend to be Eliza make some fucking money.
Speaker 3: Which was like a popular thing back in the day all the time, Yeah, touring people who are like I was George Washington's.
Speaker 2: You know neu Yeah yeah whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, like this the idea of like a you know, white woman who is under attack from you.
Speaker 2: Know, uh, like only a survivor of this cannibal holocaust.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's that's also like the birth of a nation, and like that's a powerful like that that will start wars across the history of you know, white supremacy and racism in uh you know the history of the world.
Speaker 2: Your dash gum tutin, so we know that. In the US and the UK there were also stage productions of the story of the Sharling Sterling shipwrecket gets turned into a play. There's like versions of this play up into the mid twentieth century, and of a licensed castivity with savages right, And the verbiage that Russell uses here is in keeping with like Leaflet's advertizing popular republications of the story from around the same time, like this Eliza Fraser who existed seven days without food or water, the dreadful sufferings of miss Fraser, who with her husband and the survivors of the ill fated crew are captured by the savages of New Holland and by them stripped entirely naked and driven into the bush. They're dreadful slavery, cruel, toiled and excruciating tortures inflicted on them. A horrid death of mister Brown it was roasted alive over a slow fire kindled beneath his feet. Meeting of mister and Missus Fraser, and the inhuman murder of Captain Fraser in the presence of his wife.
Speaker 3: It's like meeting of mister and miss so we get to see the meet cute and his uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess there's no maybe they start with I don't knowl But this is how the story has been summarized now right. It's just completely separate from what we know of the reality.
Speaker 3: And they're bringing in like the iconography that we've all seen in like old like fifties and sixties movies where somebody is captured by camp and like they're tied to a post and there's a fire around them that you know, like all of those images are like, oh yeah, that's the familiar cannibal imagery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the reality is like, yeah, you've got someone who's like starving and frustrated and maybe like hit, someone who's not able to who's like just can't learn a simple task, Like that's not ideal. But it's turned into like they were tortured and cooked over fires, yes, yeah, burnt alive. Yeah. So what really matters here is that the story became a huge and prominent part of the white Australian and European conception of the Aboriginal peoples of Australia. This would contribute to some pretty disastrous things in the coming decades. There's no one massacre or atrocity you can point to and say, well, they did this because of what Eliza said. But I think I've established how popular this account was and thus influential. A supplement put out by the Fraser Island Defenders Association notes that Fraser Island Aboriginal people gained international notoriety through the stories of Eliza Fraser, and one of Eliza Fraser's legacies was that there would be many men massacres of the very people who had helped her. In eighteen forty two, white Australians established a head station called Tiaro near Moreton Bay, which is in the bay that's very close to the island. This was attacked so vigorously by local tribes that the forces manning it were withdrawn and the station abandoned mere months later. The Commissioner of Crown Lands from Moreton Bay noted in eighteen forty three that twelve white people had fallen as sacrifice to the Aboriginal peoples of the area. And he's not saying they were sacrificed by those people, saying that those people were a sacrifice for the cause of colonialism right. It's also he notes twelve white people died. He did not bother to recount how many indigenous inhabitants were killed by white settlers in the same time period.
Speaker 3: Not important.
Speaker 2: Rome No and Peter Laura's History of Fraser Island says that this was the norm, right, They just didn't talk about that quote. So successful were what was aboriginal resistance activities against isolated white settlers in this period that those moving into the Mary River area by the late eighteen forties were taking up the country abandoned two even three times before. The pattern of warfare escalating upon this pastoral frontier by the late forties is well exemplified by developments at Richard Jones's Bowie Station on the Merry River. In late November eighteen forty eight. Jones experienced two successive raids upon his flocks, and a large number were carried off, not for many reasons of hunger, but as a guerrilla resistance technique, or as the Moreton Bay Courier saw fit determin it in the mere wantonness of patriotism. Hollanders. A reprisal party of ten whites led by station manager mister Clements and assisted by a collaborative black guide, then attacked the Aboriginal camp, firing a volley into it and dispersing them. And again there's no mention made of how many people were killed in this barrage of gunfire. Right, but this is kind of the nature of the conflict for a while. There's both like murders when you've got these these white folks at stations, but also, oh, they've got like a couple thousand sheep here and there's not enough of them to guard them. Will either kill or capture take the sheep for ourselves, and that will render this unprofitable for them, because we've started to gain an understanding of how they're xiety works and that if we can make this costly enough, they won't be able to afford to keep taking our shit, right.
Speaker 3: And that's the one thing us whites cannot abide is taking our shit. Yeah, yes, taking our shit, that's our property.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's well, And that is very much like however, things get dressed up today and you can find some articles made by conservative white Australians today about like, oh, you know, there really was a lot of you know, horrible violence done by these people to these settlers, and you know these settlers were just trying to make a living. Evidence at the time from the way these settlers was writing paints a very ugly picture. The Courier, which was a local paper, wrote published an editorial during this period arguing, we hold this country by the right of conquest, and if that right gives us a just claim to its continued possession, we must be empowered to enforce our claim by the strong arm when necessary. The Blacks have just the same claim to the restoration of their decayed nationality as would the principality of Whales have if it rose in open rebellion against the crown. One law must apply to all conquered nations so far as the rights of the conqueror, order and rule must be maintained, And if this cannot be done by kindness and indulgence, it must then be affected by the iron rod.
Speaker 3: Sound like cool people. Feel it's so nice. They sound like nice people who shell would be easy to get along with.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, I don't see why anyone's fighting back against them.
Speaker 3: Why are they being so mean to us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they don't want us to just take their stuff. Over the next several years, until eighteen fifty, different groups of Aboriginal warriors continued. This is and this is another thing that's worth emphasizing. This is a very successful insurgent campaign. They are planning, They're like, they're thinking this through, and they're they're winning for a while. They take thousands of sheep, they destroy a lot of infrastructure, and they kill a number of settlers. And the effect of all this is to stretch the already insufficient local white labor supply and renders settling in the area financially unviable. Just describes this incredibly successful, vigorous defense as partly a response to the absolute shattering of the worldview many of these peoples had held for since time immemorial.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: The dawning realization that whites were not explicable spirits but unknown usurpers whose guns and horses induced terror and whose imposed presence demanded utter forfeiture of territory must have emerged as a dreadful, almost inexpressible revelation. The traditional verities of a complex, orderly pattern of existence were rudely shaken, spiritual values were partially falsified, and the formerly authoritative explanations of tribal elders were increasingly undermined a people who had totally believed in a certain right mode of behavior for every person. The sacrisanct nature of individual family and tribal totems, and all the rules of residency, hospitality, and reciprocity were rapidly confronted by incomers with new unstated rules and behavioral modes, who were no respectors of totems or territorial boundaries, and who were ready to impose an exclusive hegemony by force of arms. Tribal society here faced the most critical impasse conceivable, for to lose land was not simply to lose livelihood, but to abandon the meaning of life itself. The sudden onset of an unprecedented invasion situation demanded from the indigenous. Therefore new patterns of adaptation and resistance and encourage the emergence of new leaders capable of meeting the onslaught and again. So this is like a culture that is changing and adapting, And one of the things they're doing is like, Okay, the people who told us these white folks were one thing were wrong. We probably shouldn't listen to them about how to handle this situation. We need like a new plan because what we were doing doesn't work now. Ultimately, after several years of this, Australian authorities call the Native Police into the situation, which are like Aboriginal people who are taken in and trained and armed as police and led by white officers. Through the early eighteen fifties, there were a number of bloody clashes between tribesmen and these colonial forces that killed enough warriors to force their retreat to Fraser Island. Right. They basically use it as a natural fortress, that's how Lwer describes this, so that they can avoid like European reprisal raids. And you know, this seems to be something that goes on for several years from the end of the eighteen forties up to the beginning of the eighteen fifties, and there's a lot of talk with like officers of the Native Force and local authorities that like, we have to actually land people on the island to quote finally put a stop to collisions between blacks and whites. And there's an interesting line here in Lawer's writing. Although the Native Police acted as a paramilitary body engaged in border warfare while in the field, no legal recognition of this role could be given for officially the territory of others was not being conquered. It was merely seen as Crown land being settled. Resisting natives were therefore held to be British subjects behaving criminally, rather than being accorded status as the legitimate force of a warring people opposing the invasion of their lands. Thus, in order to invade Fraser Island, the required legal procedure was that the execution of warrants. Basically, well, we can't like this island even though none of us, no white people live, there is crown land.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, just land on it and be like I hereby declare that this is yeah your trustpassing, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're trustpassing. And we have a warrant, right, we have to write out a warrant before. So they go around to locals to get like descriptions of some of the men who had been leading raids, and some of them are just known by like descriptive names that settlers give them. But they actually have a bunch of warrants in hand for thirty five Aboriginal men for murder and felony of settlers, right, and that's when they invade Fraser Island. This force of Native police, it's with all of these warrants. So they commence an assault on August fourth, eighteen fifty one. Police engage and slaughter locals and withdraw several times, but raids on mainland sediments continue. So in Christmas Eve of eighteen fifty one, the Native police engaged in a final clearing of the island. A mix of two dozen Native police under several white officers and an undisclosed number of random armed white volunteers quote, all armed and sworn in as special constables, run rampant across the island, killing whoever they can. So like these police get together with a bunch of just like local militia, basically like angry white farmers, and they do an ethnic cleansing on Fraser Island, right on Angari Island, right they're calling it Fraser Island. And that's how like a lot of these people get like forced off. That's kind of it's not entirely the end of habitation of the island in this period of time, but it is sort of the beginning of the end. In official reports, this is always described as a police action. And again you can still find conservatives saying like, well, they were just trying to arrest people who had committed crimes, and there were several men taken into custody and apparently tried, although there's no evidence that any sort of judicial procedure was followed. They were just like, yeah, we tried and convicted them, you know, yeah, maybe they just shot them where they stood and lied about that. Later. One local reporter at the time wrote, rumors are afloat that the natives were driven into the sea and kept there as long as daylight or life lasted. So basically, we drove these people into some say the sea, some say it's the Susan River, and waited until they drowned. Like that's how this massacre finishes, and somewhere between fifty and one hundred. But Schalla people are killed that way right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Again, you can find a lot of argument. I found a whole book by this Australian conservative commentator arguing that this massacre never happened. I should note that the publisher of that book, Connor Court Publishing, also publishes works of climate change denial and books by famous right wing shitheads like Cardinal George Pell, who has been accused of covering up and ignoring child's sexual abuse in the nineteen seventies, so maybe I don't consider that the best source in the world. Fiona Foley, who I quoted earlier and Isobachila woman artist and writer, heard stories of the massacre from her relatives growing up as a child, and she created a sculpture based on these stories titled Annihilation of the Blacks, which became one of the National Museum of Australia's first major acquisitions by an urban Aboriginal artist, Aboriginal person artist. And this is Soviey's going to show you this work, Annihilation of the Blacks by Fiona Foley, who we quoted from earlier. It's a pretty striking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Do you want to describe it, Robert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, you've got two like what look like trees basically, I mean, I think they're made from like branches, but there's supposed to be trees with like a branch lying in between them. They're sort of like y shaped at the top and there's a branch in between them and strung up on the branch are let me count here, nine like black human bodies like strung up and hung while a single white person stands below with a pretty deep shadow cast like looking over them. So ultimately, the Aboriginal peoples of Fraser Island were forced out of their homes for generations. The displacement was justified by the whites, not only by the violence of the years of raids, but by the legacy of Eliza Fraser's account. In your twenty sixteen book Finding Eliza, Larissa Barren writes that stories like Eliza's provided fuel for British fear of cohabitation with Native peoples and quote once these anxieties found expression and form and narratives such as Eliza's, they justified the mechanisms for surveillance of Aboriginal people through policing practices, legal control, and government policy. And in her own article, Folly adds the unspoken fear in Eliza's case was that this white woman could be sexually violated by Aboriginal men if not rescued. Racialized anxieties have formulated many patterns of structured behaviors used to subjugate Aboriginal men, women, and children in Australia. And you know, yeah, it's fucked up, and it's made all the more frustrating by the fact that while this deplaced, displacement and slaughter was at its height near the end of the eighteen hundreds, clear evidence arose. And this is while we're still in the eighteen hundreds that the whole phrase your story had been a lie. In eighteen seventy four, a colonial official named Archibald Meston spoke to several elderly men at Noosa and Fraser Island who had been alive when Eliza and other members of her crew were sheltered. These are members of the Bachola who had known her then, right, And so this colonial officer official like, who's you know, probably may himself have kind of grown up or as a young person at least new young people who were raised on these stories, as like, I'm gonna see if I can talk to anyone else who was there, right. And here's how lower summarizes that. Concerning Eliza Fraser, Meston wrote, she must have either had a serious quarrel with truth or else her head was badly affected by her experiences. Certainly, she gave a wildly improbable tale in Brisbane, accusing the Blacks of deeds quite foreign to their known character and quite unknown before since an Aboriginal annals Bracewell and Durham Boy both declared that miss Fraser's tales in Brisbane, Sydney and London were evolved from her own imagination. The old men in the seventies told Meston a story very different from that of the Lady, the effect that the Europeans were received in a friendly manner and passed on in canoes to the mainland. It didn't skip point to be forwarded to the white people at the Brisbane convict settlement, and we know they were sent to the mainland. That version of the story that like, yeah, we sent them there because we were trying to get them back home, is totally consistent with the objective evidence that we have, and this also comports orally with the story of the Batchula themselves. I found an article in the Courier Mail which interviewed Auntie Francis Gala, who's an elder of the tribe, who says, of Fraser's story, it isn't true for two very sound reasons, and never came down our oral storyline, whereas everything else of significance that happened in the past few hundred years did come down, and there's no dance about it. If James Fraser had been murdered, we would still know that dance today, Like we gotta fucking made a dance about killing that guy if we'd done it right, Like we have that for other people, you know, And it's a good point, Like there's all you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't skimp on. Yeah, that's like an important we want to dance about this, right, we wanted to. It would have been fucking great, but we didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now I should also note here that although Meston is kind of a hero in this part of the story where he's helping to break this myth, or at least attempting to, he's also not what you would call a kind man to the Aboriginal people of Queensland, even though his official title was Southern Protector of the Aboriginals. It was Meston who carried out an experimental attempt to stamp out opium use among the population of Aboriginal people, which is generally described by their descendants today as an excuse to govern and control the lives of their ancestors. Per Foley quote, the Opium Act contained thirty three clauses governing Aboriginal lives, with its tentacles reaching into my traditional country and the lives of fifty one Bachalla people living in Maryborough who are forcibly removed to the mission on Ghari under Archibald Meston's direction, and ultimately the peoples who had inhabited Ghari for many thousands of years were dispossessed of their home right. They eventually get kicked entirely off of the island, and this is kind of part of that process, and the whole situation was not remedied for them. This happens at the end of the eighteen hundreds and there don't start to be remedies to this until nineteen ninety three when the Native Title Act is passed in Australia and actually final. Fole's great aunt is the first Bachola person to lodge a title claim on Gari Island, which itself is officially renamed in twenty twenty three, so it is known legally as Fraser Island until twenty twenty three when it is renamed Ghuri, which is what it was originally called. So that just happened, that's crazy. Twenty twenty three, they finally get their name back.
Speaker 3: The wheels of history turn very slowly when it comes to naming things, but we go. We go pretty fast and check the check things out later, fact check later. When it comes to killing people, we're pretty quick on that front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, great, Well that's the story you got any blog ablest club.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know. That does sound shockingly familiar with like people being driven off again. There's just like all sorts of these things from history where that seem somewhat familiar if you pay attention to the news, which is something that we cover over on the dailies like me and my co host Myles Gray, which you can go check out anywhere fine podcasts are given away for free. You can find me on Twitter at jack Underscore Obrian and on Blue Sky at jack ob and then the number one.
Speaker 2: Jackie oh, which is not what we call you.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. My cousins should be a Jackie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although, like JACQUELINEO Nassas, you also were present when JFK was assassinated and.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of people know that, and because I don't want them to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because.
Speaker 3: Is still not up.
Speaker 2: Well that too, Yes, the vampire thing, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is the first thing you told me.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I know it's a you think that would be Oh, nice to meet you. You think i'd be more discreet, and yet I just Usually when I meet somebody, I brag about having seen the life train from Kennedy's eyes. Take up my clothes, cover myself in Greece, grab a tater and sea bread, and run out the door and listen.
Speaker 2: Folks you listening at home, don't keep listening to the news. The podcast is over. Come back and listen next week. But take some time off the internet, do a little digital detox. Strip naked yourself in grease, grab the potato and some bread, and run off into the woods. You know, see what happens to you. It'll probably be fine.
Speaker 3: I feel like that is better than like most of the advice that you get.
Speaker 2: That is, it's also healthier than being on social media. Sometimes naked in the woods, covered in Greece good shit.
Speaker 1: Or just peta dog if they want you to, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or peta dog, I don't know. Naked, grease, potato, petta dog, both.
Speaker 1: Good things if they want you to.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, if they want you to. But strip, nake and cover yourself in grease, whether or not anyone wants you to, Yes, you do that, no matter what. Do not listen to anyone who says, don't get naked and covered in grease, all right, great advice.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards