Speaker 1: Smell us now, Lady, welcome to Meat Eater Trivia Podcast. Don't even know when to start. Hey, welcome to meat Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am here in bos Angelas, Montana. I'm your host, Ryan Callahan and you're not with me today, Corin Schneider and Corey Halkins.
Speaker 2: Howdy, folks.
Speaker 1: Fun fact for you, if you wear a big fake wig on your face, it messes with the audio. Dude, static electricity, Phil, what's happening over there in the boot?
Speaker 3: Oh? Not a whole lot.
Speaker 4: What's going on with you?
Speaker 1: Kel Oh?
Speaker 4: Not a whole lot.
Speaker 1: So youth is in the air. It's October thirty one and children still dress up. So we're going to talk about that. What motivates them? Why are they here? I think we should start with our actual ages first, but we won't because there's a lady present snorts under the table. This is what I'm talking about, Karen. You're dressed up?
Speaker 5: Is something I am. I am a Chinese takeout box.
Speaker 1: That says, enjoy What's in the box, Low Maine, what's in the box?
Speaker 6: Cory? What are you? Well?
Speaker 2: I'm Merlin the Wizard. But this is also how I feel after an unsuccessful archery season, Old and Gray.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, nice. Is there any other reason for the theme.
Speaker 2: Well, my kid, my six year old boy Marshall, he's gonna be King Arthur of the Arthurian book series stories. So I figured i'd go in there as the short Merlin sweet, assuming Merlin was probably six ' two. I'm a few inches shorter than the real Merlin. But yeah, here I am.
Speaker 1: Any think just magical powers go with height hand in hand, well sort of.
Speaker 2: He's probably got a duck a lot where I'm just going right through, so got that going for me. But yeah, I feel like height might be able to help you see the future. You can see around the earth a little bit farther.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it, But I like it, Phil, Yes, you're dressed up as a something. I thought it was from Beetlejuice. It looks very similar to one of the little beal Juice monsters.
Speaker 4: No, this is just a generic wraith, but I like that the eyes glow and it's kind of like an Avian. It's an avian looking skull, right, it's scary it is? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. Would you like what's the what's the closest like real life comp to what this skull looks like. What would you say? Somebody's probably seen like a few bird skulls in their life.
Speaker 1: Well, there's that giant stork in Africa that's got a very similar beak to that. What is that albatross? No, it's it's a it's a stork. I think it's one of the largest birds outside of like the emu and the ostrich m. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you look like a pelican.
Speaker 1: And Phil you have kids, right, I do?
Speaker 4: I have two children.
Speaker 1: Okay, so your guys's costumes are making sense. Let's go back to Carin. You're an adult who dressed up.
Speaker 5: Why because they're on the radio live.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's for the amusement of others. Oh, and it brings joy to one's heart sometimes, no matter how old you are.
Speaker 2: Oh, we also have a thrilling contest in the office today. Best costume wins best costume.
Speaker 4: Oh so awesome.
Speaker 2: I think we got top four costumes so far.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 4: Uh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: For some reason, probably due to my email settings, I don't get a lot of office emails.
Speaker 4: You don't say, I do say. Well, first of all, cal you're dressed up, but not in the way people might think. I think I've seen you wear this exact outfit to sports men's conventions before.
Speaker 1: That is that true? Maybe this this is a actual pheasant tie.
Speaker 4: It looks wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. Yeah, it's very classy. And I got this. This is my most worn and most favorite sports coat, of which I own two and I got it for seven dollars at a thrift shop in Ketchumidaho.
Speaker 4: The lovely corduroy. Thank you to.
Speaker 1: Get some obow patches. You do starting to fade back there, Yeah, but Granny's dead so that was my seamstress. Anyway, Corey, you just got back from a successful hunt. Carrinne, I know you had a successful opening day hunt. You guys were both Opening day hunts. Yeah, Corey was guiding, helping assist day, helping a friend.
Speaker 2: I guided for too long to say, I'm still right. I was helping a buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Spencer Newhart, which I wish he was here to tell the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's odd that he's not. I thought he would be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's probably cutting meat.
Speaker 2: Oh he might be his elk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so who wants to tell their tale? First?
Speaker 2: Here go ahead, Corey, Well, yeah, I'm happy to Spencer Newhart, as we all know, the host of Meat Eater Trivia, drew a really good rifle tag for Montana and I went out along with another ex mediator colleague and a few of Spencer's buddies from South Dakota, and we all went out to help Spencer find his first bowl and we were successful opening morning by I think eight fifteen, we had a nice six by four on the ground, an old fighter, a warrior.
Speaker 5: Did you just did you see him that morning or did you put him to bed the night before?
Speaker 2: A couple of Spencer's buddies dug him up the day before the night before, so we had all split up the day before opener to cover some ground and find some milk, and we found plenty of elk. So we had Plan A, B and C going into opening day. And even with a good trophy unit tag, there were still some other hunters in there creating a little pressure. So our Plan A hit the dirt by about four point thirty in the morning, a couple hours before daylight. We had to reroute to Plan B and they were still fired up bugling where we were, so right at daylight we were able to put eyes on one of the elk that were spotted the day before, and again, I think thirty minutes after the sun came up, we had him down on the ground. Spencer made a couple of great shots on him from a long ways out. Oh, practice made perfect for Spencer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you said you were able to turn the herd with a bugle, Yeah, which is sweet. I mean, yeah, he got the full elk hunting experience, seeing what elk do in the during the rut more in September. But this was late October October twenty sixth and these elk were still very fired up.
Speaker 2: The bowl and the cows were kinda They were about six hundred yards away, walking slightly away. So I decided to rip a bugle just to see what would happen because the herd bowl was so talkative, and it actually turned the cows and they started kind of running towards us. Stopped at about five hundred yards out, and the bowl was a little hesitant to come in, but the cows wanted to come in, and of course he wanted to follow those cows, so got ye a little bit closer and Spencer was able to put a couple of good shots into him. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: Love that.
Speaker 1: Congrat Spencer, new heart.
Speaker 5: Congrats grat Spencer.
Speaker 1: Care in what happened to you?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll make it short.
Speaker 4: Can you pull that mike a little before you.
Speaker 5: I'll make it short. There are definitely some highs and lows. I was out with myself in a spot I've successfully harvested mule deer from and this year I noticed the past couple of days before opening that I had gone out just more more white tail and I wasn't quite sure if I was wanting to use my white tail B tag for that hunt or you know, I didn't know what I was going to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had a dough tag, a white tail dose specific.
Speaker 2: Tag, yeah, and your general tag, which is.
Speaker 1: Good for either sex in that particular exactly.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 5: And I've still got mule deer from the other year, so I was thinking about wanting some whitetail meat. I just didn't know, you know what, I want to shoot a white tail buck and it would be my first or use my B tag. And there are a couple of issues with with other hunters coming a little too close to comfort for me. Someone who parked himself within four hundred yards, so we were hunting the same the same corner h and made some mistakes, like messed up big time with my turrets, new new rifle this year, new scope, new set up, so fast forward through all all of the drama. But I had wounded my buck and it was sitting on the public side, right up against the fence with private land, and a couple of other deer had hopped the fence to been more around my injured buck, and you know, I was just kind of waiting to see did my first and second shot were they enough to uh kill him or not? But then this other hunter popped out and started crawling toward these other deer where my injured deer was, and uh it.
Speaker 1: Was on the private side of the thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah you did that hunter took a shot at one of the deer there, and my deer jumped up and popped over the fence, and uh, I was very emotional and shaken and in hysterics, and I called you cal and you were like, calm the fuck down, and and do you well you were you were you were much nicer than that, but but it's what I needed to hear. You helped me out, made some phone calls, got in touch with f w P, who got in touch with the landowner. Uh, and who's gracious enough to give me permission to access and fast forward you know, I mean, killed deer, drug it back to state and.
Speaker 1: Going through your head out, I just need to get the deer. Oh yeah, you're so committed already that there could have been more mistakes made.
Speaker 5: Oh for sure I was. I was not in my right mind. And you you heard most of most of that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, called the game warden. Game warden says, give me the details. Calls the landowner and in this case the landowner or the agents of the landowner or uh, super understanding, and they said great, thanks for calling.
Speaker 5: Oh them so much.
Speaker 1: Not only can you trustpass, but you can trustpass and make a follow up shot if it's necessary. And you know, it was coming up on dark and they didn't us anything that part exactly.
Speaker 5: It was coming up on dark. My phone was almost dead, you know, all.
Speaker 1: The modern tragedy. My phone only has seven percent battery live.
Speaker 5: And then you and Sam came and help me drag that deer out and uh, yeah, now it's hanging. So that was my first Montana whitetail Buck.
Speaker 2: Thank you, congrats.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, how are we doing on our first Yeah? I see Jeff over there. We are going to jump over to probably for Meat Eater Live, the first ever stop at the Politics Desk with our guest Jeff Crane, who is the President and CEO of the Congressional Sportsman's Foundation CSF. Jeff, are you on the line?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir?
Speaker 7: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir? We got you loud and clear. How you doing.
Speaker 6: I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: I'm feeling a little old since I don't have my costume on with the rest of you guys, but it's been a long time since I put a Halloween costume on.
Speaker 1: Well, as it was just explained to me Jeff, it's not just for children. It brings joy, I think, is what all Chinese food box set right.
Speaker 6: UH.
Speaker 1: The Congressional Sportsman's Foundation I'm familiar with, But will you please just let folks know the CSF isn't as out in front of I think like the general public as a lot of other UH organizations are very very powerful lobbying group on behalf of sportsman's interests in the United States. Can can you give us a quick rundown on on who and what CSF does.
Speaker 7: Sure, and and thanks for having me on the show. Tel And and I do kind of hate the fact that we aren't a better known household word, but we've been around for thirty five years. We do work exclusively in the policy arena, where the where the tip of the sphere for hunters, anglers, recreational shooters, traps. We work. We are founded to work in Washington, d C. In the United States, alongside the United States Congress. In the last twenty years we've expanded to all fifty states, realizing that a lot of the wildlife management decisions that affect sportsmen and women actually get made at the state level, so we are very immersed. I think one of the big things that sets us apart is we have a bipartisan approach so that we can work with both sides of the aisle on the uncertainty in politics is the pendulum swings and one party is not going to be in power all the time, certainly in Washington. Some states is a little bit different. But we want to be able to make sure that the sports one and men and women have a seat at the table, regardless of who's in political.
Speaker 1: Office, and very timely right we have impending election no matter what, going to have a new administration. And recently you spoke with our good buddy and fantastic writer Jordan Sillers for an article I believe it is titled hunters could decide the twenty twenty four presidential election and could you just tell us how is that true? How do hunters and anglers play into politics, especially right now?
Speaker 7: So the absolute certainty of the truth is if you don't vote, you're not engaging in your constitutional right to decide who gets elected from the president right down to your local elections. And so clearly every citizen in this great country has that opportunity to impact the election. So the Civics lesson is, please make sure that you are exercising your rights. As more to the point of sportsmen and women, you know, they're different sort of polling studies and whatnot out there that suggest that that sportsmen and women don't show up to the polls and numbers, you know, as they should. So that begs the question, why are you not going to the pole? Why are we not allowing ourselves, with our passions for the great outdoors to have our voices heard this is the way every citizen in this country can do it. So our encouragement in our campaign here at CSF is I hunt, I fish, I vote, and we're trying to turn out the vote because it makes our job a whole lot easier if we have pro sportsmen and women elected officials or at least people that can can relate to the fact that we are legitimate conservationists and that what we do is really beneficial for our landscapes. And so yeah, it's important, you know, and if you're going to be in a tree stand, or you're going to be in a duck line, or you're going to be in an alpine meadow or somewhere, I mean, there are all kinds of opportunities to vote early. And you know, we're just trying to encourage the sportsman's vote to get out, turnout, not telling you who to vote for, but man, make your.
Speaker 4: Boys be are well, said darn Right and Jeff.
Speaker 1: One. One thing that I think may prohibit sportsmen and women from showing up to the polls is, you know, we get this rhetoric out there that says, well, yeah, you can vote for your interests, but then you're voting against these interests. Is it is that true? Do we have to choose between hunting and angling rights and our other rights or is it possible to lobby and have it all?
Speaker 7: You know, we just based on the people that that we work with on a routine basis in the United States Congress, I think it's possible.
Speaker 6: To have it all.
Speaker 7: And again, are there going to be occasions where that creates a conflict?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Probably does, But a lot of times, you know, just making sure that you're sending a little heeded, smart people up to Washington and your state capitals and stuff, and then at least we have a run and shot at being able to explain to them about hunting and fishing and how it impacts not only the environment, not only conservation, but the economy. And now those those arguments can carry the day. So it's not a perfect, definitely one hundred percent cow that I could say, yeah, check the box, But more times than not, I would say, yes, it does.
Speaker 1: That's great, Jeff. And let's say we've already voted, the election has already been had. Is our job over what do we do?
Speaker 7: Absolutely not? You know, that's where we ask you, you know, stay engaged, stay informed, elected officials are still responsive to constituents. You know, on you guys are in your states, You've got your elected officials in your state. I live over in Maryland and so have my elected officials. And if you don't, if you don't have your voice heard even after the elections, and they're going to ignore you. You know, the old squeaky wheel gets the grease. And there again, that's what we're completely set up to do. If you don't want to do it yourself, reach through. We've got our website as an interactive feature. To click on any state in the United States. You can find out who your state legislators are, who your federal legislators are, in the Congressional Caucus, Sportsman's Caucus, and you know, we can help you get engaged in this kind of stuff or you can you know, invite you to attend some things in your own states. So no, absolutely, this is not a once every two year, every four year saying please please don't do that.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic, Jevin. And so how do our very engaged listeners and viewers find you How do they learn more about Congressional Sportsman's Foundation.
Speaker 7: It's a little long, but it's just ww dot Congressional Sportsman dot org and if you put Congressional Sportsmen on a search engine, you'll probably find us. And again there's an interactive map. We've got staff from coast to coast and north the south that work the various states. And you know, if you want to find out what's going on in your states, so it's a great resource. You want to find out who those elective officials are that are in the various caucuses, sportsmen's caucuses, whether it's here in the US Congress or in your state legislature. Again, great resource to find out about it. But the processes is interactive all the time, and you know, so I would definitely encourage you to go beyond next Tuesday that that is not the end all and be all, and we have to stay engaged. And I will point out one other thing that I mentioned in the article. You know, it's a good thing that the candidates think it's important to create sportsmen and women for Canada at X, Y, and Z. The worst thing you can be in the political arena is irrelevant. And so the more numbers we could show that sportsmen and women come to the polls, the more numbers and more times that they show up in the state capitals or in Congress talking about stuff, generating the letters, things like that. We have to make sure that we're punching way above our weight class. And again that's that's what CSF is here to do.
Speaker 1: The heck, yeah, well we'll work with you on that any day of the week. Jeff, thank you so much for coming on the show. You're welcome to stick with us. We're going to have a very spooky migration report.
Speaker 7: Good thanks for having me. Greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, gang, what do we think of that team?
Speaker 2: Very informative, every Yeah, it's obviously top of mind to everybody at the moment. Can't shake it. Even in the woods. I was somehow getting text and information about the exact upcoming election.
Speaker 4: So go out and.
Speaker 1: Vote exactly, buckle up. It's kickoff and then we got long four quarters after that, so it's gonna be a roller coaster, yes sir. All right, now over to the migration report.
Speaker 2: When you can sun food and the teram SAPs.
Speaker 8: Then you suffers is the West?
Speaker 5: Oh well, I love it.
Speaker 4: Oh you're just waiting for the video now.
Speaker 1: It says pre recorded migration report.
Speaker 5: Oh, but we need to say.
Speaker 1: The migration report is more Matt McCormick.
Speaker 4: It gives a waterfowl hunting forecast for each flyway. Take it away, Matt, I.
Speaker 1: Think you guys.
Speaker 9: I'm out McCormick with flying v and welcome to the Meat Eater Migration Report for October thirty first, twenty twenty four. I'm coming to you live from the ki Refuge here in southwest Montana to bring you the latest on migration trends, weather patterns, and what we can all expect to see in the coming weeks as we move into November. First up, we all have a new moon coming and that is a good thing for all of us. We can all expect to see more daylight action and when combined with the forecasted north winds and cooler tempts, this is a recipe for some of the best hunts of the season. Everybody who's ever hunted in a north wind on a cold front with a new moon can attest this recipe is about as good as it gets, and in.
Speaker 2: October it is very welcome.
Speaker 9: So hunters across the country can expect to see some better hunting ahead. Here in the packfly we've been you know, we've already had our first push and our weather has been okay. It's been about you know, forty to fifty degrees, a lot of sound, a lot of no wind. But we have had a first first push, and we have two cold fronts coming back to back down the pipe.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 9: They are forecasting that we're gonna have below average temperatures with which I can feel it right now in my hands. It's on its way, as well as heavy, heavy snowfall. If this happens, we can all expect to see birds pour out of Alberta and move into the staging areas in the US. I think we got some really good hunting ahead in the Pacific Flyway. Over in the Central Flyway, you guys are gonna benefit from these cold fronts as well. These fronts are gonna push specs, pintails, and this first wave of Canada geese down through South Dakota into Kansas, Oklahoma. I think you guys are gonna start to see new birds showing up here within the next week or so. It's looking really really good for you guys as well. Big migration days coming. You guys have had some great ones, You're about to have some more in the Mississippi Flyway. They've had some unseasonably warm weather, so it slowed things down a little bit in the north, but the reports are saying that there's still some great teal hunting. The diver hunting has been really good over in Wisconsin Minnesota, and the goose hunting has been pretty good as well. But everybody could use a few more birds, and I think you guys are going to see that as these birds pushed down out of Manitoba down in through the Mississippi Flyway. I think everybody in Illinois, Missouri as we get through the weekend, you guys are going to start seeing a trickle of birds coming in as well. Finally, in the Atlantic Flyway, you know, movement's been a slow uptick. You guys have had pretty good, pretty good hunting over the last few weeks, but we are getting reports of new black ducks showing up in the Saint Lawrence region, which is a good sign. It means the birds are on their way. The rain that you guys have gotten, the cooler temperature should have improved the hunting on the coast as well. I think everybody in the New England and mid Atlantic regions are going to start to experience some really good hunting in these first few weeks of November, as the cooler tempts come in and the ducks start pushing in as well. That's it for this week's migration report. Whether you're battling the elements out west or you're just waiting on new birds in the Central Mississippi Flyway, the coming cooler temps and these cold fronts show really promising good hunting to be had here in the next few weeks. Happy Halloween everybody, and good luck out there. Back to you, Spencer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dang, Matt McCormick's crash.
Speaker 2: That'll get you excited about some ducks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I even learned that it's it's the hipway saying Pacific Flyway is Packfly, pack Fly Yeah wow, yeah somebody. That's a free brand name for somebody out there. Yeah, we're gonna take a quick break, not from what you're watching, but you keep watching because Phil's gonna give us some listener feedback on the fly, so to speak.
Speaker 4: Phil. Hey, I'm trying to make adjustments to my mask so it still looks cool, but I can see what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: Oh, oh, it looks great.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: You can't see through those glowing red eyeballs.
Speaker 4: Apparently not. I also I felt like today would be a good idea to try this effect that I have on my board so I can hello. I don't know if this echo is coming through on the stream, but I hope it is or else that doesn't sound really lame, I'm gonna turn it off on.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's pretty great.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was fun, Right.
Speaker 5: The whole show like that?
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't think so. I think it'd be really annoying. Uh, let's see. Mogres asking Krinn, how far in advance do you record the podcast before uploading them, said he was listening to the new Trivia today and someone mentioned the Monday morning mood, which made me wonder, thank you.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 5: It kind of depends. Sometimes we might record the week before we drop an episode of the Meat Eater podcast. I assume he's asking about that, and sometimes Trivia might be the week before, and sometimes, just based on everyone's schedules, we might be a couple weeks out. So it really just depends week to week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd say it's very reliant on Steven Ronella's schedule.
Speaker 5: Yeah, indeed, that's.
Speaker 4: The main thing I'm getting word that the echo did not come through soused out. You know, I'm going to try to workshop that during the next interview about that fruit of the mycilium that's a great name. Asks how much meat do I share with my hunting buddy. We hunted a new state all of October and I finally shot a blacktail. We packed it out and butchered it together. He was a huge help.
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean great, great question. I personally I would offer them half. Yeah, yeah, I mean blacktail are small, I get it. I would I would offer half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say at least a shoulder a ham since they packed out half of it. I mean, yeah, at the minimum, the whole ham.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's probably about right.
Speaker 1: Don't don't go cherry pick on your your soft cuts and then then you're not going to have anybody to help pack something out.
Speaker 2: And then try and help your buddy get him a deer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and blacktail are small. Like if if that's the way you want to play it next year, go hunt by yourself.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, so you and Sam helped me with my dear. So should I be giving you guys half or should I split between the two of you? Or should I be giving you should should we split it three ways?
Speaker 1: I just want to stop you right there. Okay, she's trying to walk back a previous statement that she made.
Speaker 4: We know she was a.
Speaker 1: Little bit hysterical. She offered fifteen dinners at one of the most expensive places in Bozeman, and now she's like, oh wait.
Speaker 5: No, that's worth more than half the deer. So no, no, well we're going to stick to that cow. This is an addition. So that generous heart, that one walking anything back.
Speaker 1: Just saved us from you know, going home and cooking dinner and relaxing and sitting in front.
Speaker 4: Of the boob tube.
Speaker 2: So I would have been boring.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep. Jeremy asks, can you recommend an area for an international hunter to come and do a US hunt? Tips your ideas on best area, target species, etc. He's looking three to five years in advance, which is very wow, very responsible.
Speaker 2: Well, good job looking ahead. That's sometimes how long it takes to draw tags in Western States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Corey, I think you'd be a good one to answer this, but I mean it's if you're looking three to five years in advance, get on it now. I'd apply in New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Colorado.
Speaker 2: Hmm, if you can, yep, that's a good point. Yeah, big game out west or even white tail in the Midwest be a lot easier. You could probably I would imagine you'd want to come out for maybe a week, two weeks a month, so you could probably hunt a few states doing that if you play your cards right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's no ban on international folks hunting anywhere in the US, so you're just seen as like a non resident hunter, so that I mean that that's side of it's pretty easy. If that's a worry for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Star start accumulating it lading some points.
Speaker 4: Tyler wants to shout out his eleven year old Jayden on her first deer and buck this past weekend during the youth hunt, and East Tennessee tagged a nice seven point. Congrats Tyler and Jayden. Any good youth hunting stories from the group. I know this is because because Corey, you have a six year old, so he's not doing any hunting. No, man, you don't have kids. Cal you also don't have kids, but you've been on some youth hunts, right, Oh.
Speaker 1: I've taken a lot of youth hunters over the years. Yeah, I mean, my biggest story is the fact that you have to see things from their level, right, So even things as big as an elk. I'm like, yepre there. He is right there, just stuffed out, and they're like, I can't see him. And you're like, how in the heck can you not see that giant six point bowl? And then you drop to your knees and you get on the level of an eleven year old and you're like, ah, there is no way you can see the elk from here, short human.
Speaker 2: I took my six year old turkey hunting with me this year. It was the best, most memorable hunt I'll ever had. We'd put some great stocks on some birds and then ultimately ended up getting one. On the way out, he was still strapped in his car seat. I said, buddy, you stay here, dad, he's gonna go round the hill. And he stuck his head out the window and he could hear the shotgun go off, So he was there, yeah, but still in the truck.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was perfect. It was a lot of fun. I can't wait to do it again.
Speaker 4: I probably know the answer to this because I edit every one of your podcasts. But cal the Snort prefer upland or waterfowl hunting. That's from Noah boy she loves.
Speaker 1: I think peasants are very high on her list because they, especially late season, they run a lot, they represent a really serious challenge. I stick with upland hunting as long as possible, just for that exercise. And but I mean these retrievers, man, they come alive if you give them a chance to just do straight retrieving. And I think that she likes retrieving geese more than more than ducks. There's something about a big bird hit in the ground that she becomes a kind of a jerk to hunt with. She needs more reprimanding when geese are flying than when ducks are flying. And follow up Matt's asking, how is Snort recovering? And for those who don't know what happened with Snort?
Speaker 4: Here, Oh yeah, here we go, Hey, s come here, come.
Speaker 5: For all of you listeners, Snort is sitting on cow's lap right now.
Speaker 1: So she's got a little zipper on her chest here, and she's recovered quite well. But she's about a third sealed up and she I'm thinking about a week and the rest of the zipp around her chest here will be uh yeah, I don't know. Yeah, it's gonna be real hard to see, but a lot of staples there, and she's gonna be back to chasing the cocks around.
Speaker 5: That was a slice on barbed wire, doesn't hunting.
Speaker 1: Barbed wire cut? And Karen was actually right there. Yeah, and it's you know, these dogs move so fast and they're so strong that it does not take much. So she's an excellent patient these days.
Speaker 7: Girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's been through a lot in your short time. Snake bite fences.
Speaker 1: Yep, hosting a podcast.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I just.
Speaker 5: Got to put the headphones on her.
Speaker 4: She can do anything. It is about that time of day, all right, really quick, I think I fixed my effect. Guys, let me know if you can hear this. Hello, this is Halloween. I really hope that works. Please tell me that worked. Okay, I think you're ready to move on to segment.
Speaker 1: Actually, Snort's gonna help me introduce our next guest because she knows, Bob, we've done some bird walking. Or no, that's not true, never mind, get out of here. Snort a son of a gun. Next up, giving us a bird report and so much more from a fantastic habitat conservation group Pheasants and Quail Forever. Bob Saint Pierre, who is the chief marketing and Communications officer, son of a.
Speaker 5: Gun, Happy Halloween, Bob in the spirit Wow. For all you listeners out there, Oh oh, there you go. There's the human face.
Speaker 4: I love it. He's putting his headphones on now he's getting ready. It was for those for those listening to the podcasts, and Bob had like some sort of college mascot that looked like the Red Robin mascot as well. I don't know it.
Speaker 6: Come on, guys, that was Rudy the Rooster.
Speaker 2: Rudy, that was my guest.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but but you're not too far off my My pre Pheasants Forever job was in minor league baseball, so I've borne all sorts of.
Speaker 7: Mascot co students.
Speaker 10: Lucky the lepre Con is one that sticks out.
Speaker 1: It goes good with that, oh Red, turning to Gray a go tea that you have there, Bob, thanks.
Speaker 6: For noticing cal.
Speaker 10: With that tire where thanks for wearing the Pheasant Yeah.
Speaker 1: For folks who have never been to Pheasant Fast, which it is coming up here in the in the new year. Uh, it's a great way to get together with a bunch of upland bird hunters and get really educated on all conservation things, the farm, build noxious weeds, habitat improvement, all sorts of different programs like the path program here, which is a Pheasants and Quail Forever brainchild. Another private land, public access avenue out there for folks and critical organization out there. If you're not a member, you should be Pheasants in Quail Forever. Bob, have you been listening in on the whole show, the.
Speaker 10: Majority of it, some with the mask on, some with it off, but I've listened to the majority.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you know you had Jeff cranon from.
Speaker 6: The Congressional Sportsman, Thank.
Speaker 1: You CSF, and Jeff was talking about how they're a bipartisan organization and they work across the board with all political affiliations, and I know Pheasants Quail Forever does too. And you guys got some heat on that one recently because you always Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever. They host a bunch of different Governor's hunts all around the state or help participate in set up as the conservation partner, and this year the spotlight was on you a little bit more than usual.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, we did take a little vitriol on social media around the Minnesota Governor's Hunt Governor's pheasant Hunt. But in fairness, I mean, we participated in the Minnesota Governor's feesant Hunt since it was created in twenty eleven, regardless of what party holds the office of governor. And that's true of South Dakota, which we just participated in last weekend, coming up in Iowa and coming up in Kansas. We've got four states. Two were held by Republican governors, two are held by Democratic governors, and we participate in all of them, particularly our local volunteers. And Jeff, Jeff was talking about having a seat at the table and being relevant, and I'd echo that, you know, we're we we want to be at the table. Otherwise, you know the phrase, if you're not at the table, you're on the menu. And we need to be at those I mean, it's it's a governor's pheasant hunt for a sitting governor, for an opportunity for us to talk about habitat and conservation. So yeah, we uh, we participate them in them whenever we get a chance.
Speaker 1: And uh, well, tim Walls there. He didn't get any cocks on opening day. Are the numbers down in Minnesota?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the things are down a little bit.
Speaker 10: This year in Minnesota, we we had almost a non existent winter, which set us up to have, you know, a hockey stick level. There's my Minnesota reference hockey stick level increase.
Speaker 6: I had bird numbers because.
Speaker 10: The winter was so mild, and we had a tremendous adult carryover. Hens came into spring nesting season really strong. Unfortunately early June at the time that's the peak of the hatch. We got super heavy rains across southern Minnesota and northern Iowa, parts of eastern South Dakota. And those rains, what we think happened is they gully washed out nests and a pheasants you know, you'll you'll sometimes here pheasants pulled off a second hatch. Well that's not true. Pheasants will renest if they lose a nest. You know, say that a gully washes out a nest, or a raccoon comes by and eats a nest, so a hand will lay a new nest as long as none of them none of those eggs have hatched. But on an average first nest attempt, they start eleven to thirteen eggs. As they go down for a second attempt, the egg numbers go down, so they may lay seven to nine eggs. A third attempt, they'll try again, maybe it'll be an average of five eggs. So as long as the eggs aren't hatched or hatched in a chick happens, they will attempt to renest. But there's no such thing in pheasant biology as a second nest. So long winded answer that rain and June couldn't have come at a worst time probably led to a lot more renest attempts, So the reproduction numbers of new birds coming into the population ultimately in parts of Minnesota, Iowa, parts of South Dakota are down a little bit, but generally speaking, North Dakota South Dakota are actually pretty strong numbers. Nebraska is on an uprise and then Kansas is slow uprise. They've been suffering drought for a number of years, so they're little upticking cares, but it's a little bit slower than st North Dakota and South Dakota awesome.
Speaker 1: And then what about are quail hunters, what can they expect this year or any any good reports.
Speaker 10: Yeah, mixed bag, depending on what species and what states we're talking about.
Speaker 6: I'll point to Arizona. You know, you got three species of quail.
Speaker 10: In Arizona, the manazuma or merns quail that live in the Sky Islands. Rains look to have come at the right time for those birds, so that should be good. Same thing with the desert birds. Gambles and scalies look pretty good in Arizona. If you're you've never taken a spring break to the desert, this might be your year.
Speaker 6: Texas.
Speaker 10: Things around the ariz In Texas, it's it's not going to be like twenty fourteen when you know, Texas quail hunters were flushing, you know, thirty covees a day. But things around the improve in Texas, and then Nebraska mirrors. Pheasant significantly better in Nebraska, Kansas a little bit brighter in Kansas. Uh, same thing in Oklahoma, a little bit better for bob whites than it has in the past. And then the Southeast, those Hurricanans. You know, it makes things a little bit challenging for both the birds and the hunters. Not you know, it doesn't wipe out quail numbers, but it's definitely going to put a little bit of a challenge for bird numbers and for hunting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe even just displaces populations if they were able to move a little bit there.
Speaker 10: So yeah, yeah, and obviously the human loss is paramount, so well. Wishes to everybody in the southeast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, darn darn right, Bob, What what are you looking forward to next?
Speaker 7: I'm going north.
Speaker 10: I'm going to rough grouse in woodcock hunting this weekend. Woodcock had been slow to arrive in the migrations and just so darn warm. I've had to pivot a bunch of prairie grouse trips to the north Woods because it's been nineties and upper eighties across much of the you know, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana prairie is when I had tended to be chasing sharpie's, so but I haven't been finding woodcock. I think, you know, we're getting some snow today in Minnesota, which is the first. I don't think it's gonna be the Halloween snowstorm of nineteen ninety one, but we're getting a little bit of snow in Minnesota, So I think some woodcock are gonna come down and the leaves are largely off the trees now, so you get a little bit better opportunity at rough grouse, and it's our last shot before deer hunters take to the woods. So I think I'm gonna go north and chase grouse and woodcock this weekend.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, Bob, Well, I know old Clay Nukeomb and myself we're gonna be seeing you at minimum from the meat eater crew down at Pheasant Fast Quail Fast this year or coming up next year this year March, yeah, yeah, And there's another concert for conservation being held to right, yeah right.
Speaker 10: A shout out to our buddy Dave Simonette and Trampled by Turtles.
Speaker 1: Yeah day.
Speaker 10: He and they Trample took a leap of faith with us, gave us the friends and family discount because they believe in our organization and conservation, and jumped in on this crazy idea to do our first ever concert for conservation in Sioux Falls last year, and it was a tremendous success. We raised one hundred thousand dollars for our Habitat mission thanks to Trampled and a band that's played with Trampled is jumping in and joining us in Kansas City. Muscadine Bloodline tickets are on sale. They just got done opening for post Malone across October and November, and they are gonna headline our show at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City on Thursday night, March gosh, I think it's March fifth, leading into uh March sixth, Thursday night, March sixth, leading into a national phasant fest in Classic.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, well, we'll see you there, Bob. Thanks a bunch for coming on.
Speaker 6: If you're thanks for the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Rooster, rooster, darn right, be safe out there where your orange. And well, we'll hopefully get Snort together with old get you there and we'll do some pointing and retrieving. She can do the point.
Speaker 10: A young pop joining the pack too, So we got Winter is going to experience at first snowstorm today, So we got a five month old pop, Get you is five years old, and then got Eski at ten years old.
Speaker 6: So I've got a full household.
Speaker 1: Yeah heck yeah, Well thanks for joining us, Bob.
Speaker 5: Thanks Bob. I'm just going to interrupt for one second. We mentioned some of the areas affected by the hurricane and meat eater in partnership with on X. We just got together and we actually have a fundraiser to support hurricane relief with the Red Cross. It's a pretty long link, so I won't read it out, but if you're on the meat Eater website and you're under the conservation tab, you can find it. And if you also google Red Cross with meat Eater and Onyx, you'll see, you know, you'll land on a page at the Red Cross that brings you to the Onyx and Meat Eater support for hurricane relief efforts. So feel free to donate to that if you're moved to do so.
Speaker 4: Love that.
Speaker 1: Darn right, we all know somebody down that neck of the woods. We can always lean in a little bit more and help out. Speaking of learning, we're at jetiquette, darn right, we are, Phil. This is another pre recorded segment. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Oh? I am?
Speaker 1: But first, c.
Speaker 3: T t Q E t T E find out bud means to me. C G t Q you t T take.
Speaker 4: Care of.
Speaker 1: You dancing. That's amazing this week.
Speaker 12: Hello everybody, Mine Floyd and I'm coming at.
Speaker 1: You from Wisconsin.
Speaker 12: It's a beautiful night and I'm sitting by another beautiful campfire and this week's Chettikit question comes to us from somebody who does not want to be named. He writes, I have a good friend with two young boys who recently passed hunter's Education. The younger one, aged nine, is eager to hunt turkeys and his mom, my friend is interested too, though she is unsure if she wants to pull the trigger herself. I offered to take them turkey hunting. We practiced with my four to ten and went over safety the day before the hunt. We tried to get the boy's license, but his dad, her ex husband, refused to share his hunter's education infoma. He said, since he put them through the hunter's education course, he wanted to be the one to take him turkey hunting first. The problem is he doesn't turkey hunt and the season had been open for a month. He also said their mom shouldn't be involved in hunting because she doesn't hunt herself, and no one but him should hunt with the boys. What do you think about this situation. I think it's a very tricky situation, is my first thought. I think this ultimately comes down to this is easy for me the kids. You have to think about the kids, and you have to get them out hunting. I understand why the ex husband wants to take his boys out first, but ultimately he has to do it. So you guys need to figure that out as parents. Talk to the dad, talk to the mom, and get those boys out hunting, because that's ultimately what matters. And that's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: He's right, think of the kids. The children argue with Chad on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck, Okay, Yeah, yeah, Phil, you want to weigh in on that.
Speaker 4: You know what, I wasn't listening at all because I was prepping the next segment.
Speaker 1: Cow uh yeah, darn darn right. Yeah, it's a it's bummer when when kids get kind of caught in the in the crosshairs of adult being adult issues. So you'll get it figured out, little little time, a little talking communication communication. Yes, we're gonna jump over now that we're putting the kids to bed, because it's that's a transition.
Speaker 5: As folks complained last time, So close your ears children.
Speaker 1: Talk about sex with your host Corrine Schneider.
Speaker 4: Y'll want to talk about geese, want to talk about mix, We want to talk about justice on the Falcon bikes and m Clone we for black Cap Chico tea.
Speaker 1: I like to hear Steed say a word to come to tea because occasionally you'll want to talk about sex.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's groovy.
Speaker 5: The tune is like very g rated get.
Speaker 2: Misrepresents not for everybody.
Speaker 5: Uh, let's talk about sex. Is where I enlighten everyone on animal kingdom mating behaviors, and this week we're talking about the North American porcupine ah mood. The mating is rare for the North American porcupine, the second largest rodent in North America, is known for its body armor of thirty thousand quills. Females are basically celibate and so sexually inactive that the vagina is closed with a membrane. In the prime of September, the membrane dissolves and females become receptive to mating. However, they are only fertile for an eight to twelve hour period each year. Eight to twelve hours each year only before the female porcupine comes into estrus, she secretes a fragrant vaginal mucus. The scent, combined with musky urine, brings all the boys to the yard. Unsurprisingly, they fight over her with their sharp incize or teeth. And quills, and some males will even battle to the death. The lucky, victorious male, having chased all the other suitors away, has earned the right to approach the female porcupine. He attempts to court her, sometimes singing, doing an odd kind of dance, or simply walking over to her on his hind legs and releasing a jet stream of europe ooh of Europe. No no, no, who start again, walking over to her on his hind legs and releasing a jet stream of urine onto her from up to six feet away. If she is not ready, she might scream at him, try to bite him, or simply run away. If the male's pheromones are hard to resist, she'll allow him to mate her, relaxing her spine and lifting her tail all the way up so that the unquilled underside acts as a cushion and the male doesn't get impaled. Once impregnated, gestation lasts for about seven months, and in May, the female will give birth to a single newborn porcupine called adorably a porcupt That's the end of today's.
Speaker 1: Lesson single single birth, Yes, single birth wild wild so uh old timers will tell you you don't kill porcupines because you can kill them with a stick. So when winter is coming and you don't know how severe it's going to be, you want to, you know, have that easy food for when times are real hard around, so you don't just kill porcupines willy nilly. And that would definitely dovetail nicely with the fact that they have their low fecundity species. If they're only dropping one young and they have an eight to twelve hour or window once a year.
Speaker 2: Tight window, that's incredible. I had no idea. Yes, yeah, fascinating animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Plus the actual like biological physical barrier. Is there a word for that in the animal kingdom like other animals.
Speaker 5: That that's a good question. I will have to do some research.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very cool, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, Karen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you bet, guys.
Speaker 4: And before we move on to the next segment, last call for Q and A at the end of the show, so I get those questions in the live chat. If you would like a chance for us to discuss them, thank you.
Speaker 1: Please, yes, alrighty, well, Koran, I will say that the music makes that a little heavy. I'm starting to see where our listeners are coming at us from. Do you think Corey.
Speaker 2: Coming from about six feet away.
Speaker 1: In a jet. Anyway, we're gonna jump over you guys to another musical number, our good friend Red Bargain here. I hope I said that right. Read Read is on the line. I know he's been sitting there with us. Read is the piano man, and uh he's joining us from Birmingham, Alabama. Read's piano news on Instagram. You've heard him on the media, your podcast and mediator social media channels before, but this is your first time on Meat Eater Radio Live.
Speaker 6: Read. How you doing doing great?
Speaker 8: I mean watching the Wizard with that music soak in the mating rituals was.
Speaker 3: Magical. I loved it really quick.
Speaker 4: Turn up the gain on, Turn up the gain on your end? Your little quiet?
Speaker 6: How is that?
Speaker 4: Can you a little higher? How is that? Yeah?
Speaker 7: There we are.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you're gonna the Wizard, the Wizard. I can't get over it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna sit there in Birmingham, Alabama, and tell me, honestly that that's your first experience with something like that.
Speaker 3: I'll plead the fifth.
Speaker 8: So also, I am disappointed, given everybody's got costumes on. I started looking through the closet this morning and the best I could come up with was my mom's teacher sweater.
Speaker 3: From the early nine.
Speaker 5: Amazing it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a summer motif.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, and I just thought it's not really even a character and I don't know, this thing could go pretty south when you start off with a teacher sweater, so I.
Speaker 3: Opted not to wear it. But y'all all look great.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thanks for reed.
Speaker 1: Where are you going with those compliments?
Speaker 4: Read?
Speaker 1: What what do you have for us today?
Speaker 5: Oh? Wait, before that, I just wanted to I'm going to interrupt and just ask you for a little bit of the backstory of how Reid's Piano News got started because folks reach us, reach out to us about him.
Speaker 1: A while back the show, I was gonna do it on the back end, but you know what, she's feeling spicy from her segment, A little costume and.
Speaker 5: Very clever guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very creative fellow. You are there, Read what what what brought you to this point in time?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well, I think I've I've always sort of had the musical itch. After I went to Auburn and med and a bunch of buddies moved back to Birmingham and started a a cover band for like three or four years, and then we did everything from from you know, Nelly to call Me Maybe to Joe Diffy. It was kind of all over and just occasionally playing at bars in Birmingham.
Speaker 3: And then you know how how it goes.
Speaker 8: Everybody has kids and uh, that takes priority.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a good thing.
Speaker 8: But the the music, you know, playing out sort of dropped off, but the the itch sort of remained. And uh, the first time I made a video like what's on the Instagram page? I think it was, we had a guys trip lined up to go down to Orange Beach, and uh, you.
Speaker 3: Know they're just you don't get a guy.
Speaker 8: It's it's effort to get a guys trip, you know, teed up and together everybody can go and you finally we had it, and the exact day we were supposed to get down there, Hurricane Sally was coming right up the Alabama Gulf coast and we needed to pivot, uh, and pulled the old my uncle's got a lake house somewhere in Alabama, and I.
Speaker 3: Pulled the old, hey uncle, can we use your lake house? Move?
Speaker 8: And it seemed like it took him three days to get back to us, and we're all ancient. You know, you don't want to punt the guys trip if you if you can afford it, and uh he uh finally texted back. He's like, yeah, no problem, you'll you'll go have a good time. And I wrote I consider it a masterpiece. It's called We're going to the Lake, and that's all the lyrics, and it's We're going to the Lake about twenty times in a row. And generally my friends will tell me if, you know, if I'm doing something just ridiculously dumb, or if it's a bad idea, and they seem to kind of like it, so, you know, I kind of got the idea, like, well, maybe I wonder what happened. I think I found a story about this bear and a Chinese zoo that people couldn't figure out if he was a zoo keeper dressed up in a bear's uniform or if it actually was a zoo.
Speaker 3: It's it is very ambiguous.
Speaker 8: It looks a little bit like both, and I'm not still certain whether whether it's a person or a bear. But wrote a song about that, and they, you know, got some encouragement, and then you know, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Taken off since then, so you quit quit the day job.
Speaker 1: Totally alright, and it's all piano new right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we're I've got this is I'm doing this for my third house.
Speaker 8: Oh I love it, so yeah, no, it's it's what's going awesome.
Speaker 1: You got a knack man, you definitely definitely do. Unfortunately, you're really setting yourself up for a high standard today now that we got the backstory ahead of time. Yes, okay, well, uh, you have piano news for us today, correct.
Speaker 8: I do, And I look, I hate, especially this close to election. I hate to come on here and be wildly politically divisive.
Speaker 1: But you know, I just that's why.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, you got to go where the news takes you.
Speaker 8: And as of late, we found that, uh, there's a dog that has scaled the Great Pyramid of Giza and it has taken northern Africa by storm. And uh it's uh, you know, it's heavy, but I think that people need to know, and so I'm happy to play it for y'all.
Speaker 4: We love to hear.
Speaker 5: We love this live performance.
Speaker 11: Read.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you out of the gate, it doesn't sound like this one writes itself. So hens and needles over here.
Speaker 3: All right here you, greatest.
Speaker 11: Thing man has ever built. There's a dog on top of it. The most ancient mystery on Earth. Top there's a good boy perched. Arry Ladder said he was arcad at birds.
Speaker 3: I bet you. Now most northern Africa is heard.
Speaker 1: Doll.
Speaker 3: There's a dog on.
Speaker 11: Gezon.
Speaker 3: You seeking fish and climb five hundred feet up.
Speaker 9: Main ever being.
Speaker 3: The same, I think mistakes probably.
Speaker 1: Be replaced my dog.
Speaker 12: There's a doll, the.
Speaker 6: Biggest part of it on Earth.
Speaker 3: I wonder if Alins build these things. Also mobies because it's Halloween. Dog yeah, woo dog on log. So there's that.
Speaker 4: That was great? Inspired?
Speaker 1: Oh no, excellent, And I just slete you for having the courage to back up Dog Gone with Dog Gone brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, it took a lot of guts and it's something I lost sleep over, but you know, made it through and here we are.
Speaker 1: Oh, not only made it through, but I think you crushed it for sure, that's for sure. What What where you're at in your season in Alabama? What's up next for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So I've got two youngins. They're they're nine and five. We u The season lately has been football and baseball, but we're finally through with that. We're I'm actually checking them out of school tomorrow, Togo, fix up some stands and work on some roads and you season opens November fifteenth, then adult.
Speaker 3: Seasons a week after that.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I got the nine year old is absolutely determined to get one on the ground this year.
Speaker 3: So we're we're excited.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm excited for you. I mean, they're not going to learn that stuff in school. Get those kids out of there, well, certainly not.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Good luck to you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you much.
Speaker 1: At Reid's Piano News on Instagram.
Speaker 5: R E E D S P I A N O N E w S get your fill of the news musically.
Speaker 1: That's on I N S T hey G R A M. Thank you very much. Read that was awesome, Thanks so much.
Speaker 7: Read.
Speaker 1: Uh, all right, we're wrapping up the show and we're gonna do so with Q and A. Q. Did you find some some cherries for it, Dave. We got a few questions first before we do that, though. I want to, I just want to. I was going through an old picture. I was telling Krin and the guys about it earlier five years ago. Today we had our first costume contest here at Meat Eater. I just wanted to can I bring this in here?
Speaker 7: There?
Speaker 4: We are?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's like pretty much the entire company right there. But then I wanted to just point out some of the people who are here still here today. I was Doc Klala Day, the white Claw Cowboy. I still have not topped this. It was a lot of work and I don't think I'll do anything like it again. And then we've got Spencer was Amish and Giannis was a cow.
Speaker 5: And then we have same costume guys in the same costume.
Speaker 4: Looking thrilled to be there. And that's Kylie with the with the sushi they were they came as an Asian food pair. Yes, And then that's not what I meant to do. And we've got Steve as that insurance guy who keeps getting hurt. I think he's got a name.
Speaker 1: Or the original version. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Cal was was our good friend Jeffrey, right, I think yep, yeah, Carls Jeffrey Carls, Carl's character creation Mayhem Mayhem. That's right.
Speaker 5: Wait was Cal not in that photo?
Speaker 4: That was Cal?
Speaker 7: That was.
Speaker 1: At the time everybody was confusing us. So that's what yeah, anyway, Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, let's move on to the questions here we've got. Let's see, this is kind of a broad question that maybe you can offer some first steps here. Brady's wondering how a man plans an Alaskan caribou archery hunt for himself and his dad within a five year period. I don't know if there's anything this far out he should start prepping forward or training for signing documents for.
Speaker 1: Cal You ever had a caribou. I've never had a caribou.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, same, No.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's a bunch of ways to go about this. There's a lot of good like do it yourself forums out there where you could connect with people and just learn about like some the your your fly in operators are going to be the ones that you need to figure out. And then those folks are gonna have tabs on where those caribou herds are consistently coming through and what numbers right, because obviously you want to get there into a spot where you're going to see some stuff. If if you want to go to the fly in route, you can go off the Alaskan Highway as well, and that's archery only within the that two mile corridor on both sides of the highway, and that's a big road trip and that'd be super cool too, But you're not necessarily going to be there picking out trophies, right, Like the trip is going to be the trophy, no matter what. But if you go in with with one of the fly in operators, you're going to see way more numbers and be able to, you know, just do some some judging if you hit it right. So like going on now, old Randy Newberg's forum, Hunt Talk is a great place. Rockslide is still a great place to get a good do it yourself information. And yeah, it's just gonna take time doing some research and find some finding some people who are flying and you can reference as straight shooters.
Speaker 4: Awesome, that sound good. M hmm, all right, this would be a good question for Randall's since he's got some first hand experience. But callen ser you've guys have to say. Stephanie says, I'd like to work in conservation. Any recommendations. I'm thirteen in Idaho. She's wondering about TRCP fishing game or pheasants forever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all awesome, awesome things to think about. Everybody has a program to get folks out as volunteers. Starting as a volunteers a great way of getting to know those communities and expanding your own community. And then you know, you can talk about doing the school route, but seeing as you're thirteen, you could probably start even applying for some like wildlife tech internships through IDFG, Idaho Fishing Game. There's some great, great phenomenal people at IDFG, at all these organizations really, so we can follow up with you on that. I'm sure we got some listeners that probably have more of a direct way to go, but look for volunteer opportunities and just try some out. There'll be a bunch coming up here in the spring.
Speaker 2: We love that question though, Stephanie, the future looks bright.
Speaker 1: Also come out for Brush for Bucks. We're gonna plant sagebrush seedlings with Idaho Fish and Game and the Hush Crew and First Light as we do every year. Now, it's a great program. We're all out there volunteering and IDFG as well as I think we have some TRCP folks out there, regional folks and BHA folks out there, so good, good opportunity to come out do some work that benefits wildlife directly, and you'll get to know some peers in that community.
Speaker 4: This is a similar similar vein here Jonathan's asking if the Meat Eater crew wants a college intern. Jonathan, we usually have one or two interns floating around the office these days, and we post them on our website. If you go to the meat Eater dot com and scroll all the way down until you find a career's button, we will be occasionally hire interns, so keep an eye open there. I think we also post them on like job sites and stuff too. So Cal thoughts on the recent changes to Idaho's bear seasons with regards to GRIZ and the new rules. I don't know if you're if you know about this, I'm kind of putting you on the spot here.
Speaker 1: Oh U, Matt. We worked for years to try to get uh where he had to take the meat out of the field in Idaho, and hopefully that happened. I'm not up to up to snuff on the regulation change though, so I'm sorry, but I will do my research and we'll cover it in Cal's wee can review asap, which I've just reminded.
Speaker 4: Me that I need to get that to fill today. Yeah, I got to edit it tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh let's see here, Cal, Would you ever be interested in pheasant hunting with a falconer? Is that something then you've done or would want to do? It's from Josh.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, any sort of hunting I'm always interested in. I have been out with some falconers before they were flying peregrins and it was incredibly incredibly cool, incredibly cool. I also just straightforward. You people are nuts. The level of care those birds take. It's like it's one of the few hunting animals where I've been like, oh, that's neat for other people.
Speaker 4: And not me versus I want one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh man, They're incredible, absolutely incredible. But that's a very that's a very adult game that I'm not not quite there yet.
Speaker 2: Very dedicated, yes, very dedicated.
Speaker 4: Elane as during Cheddikut Chet ever works because he's always just sitting by a fire, Layne. When when Chet moved back to Wisconsin, we said he could keep working for us, but he has to just live outside near a burning fire at all times, and he agreed. Spot let's see here, I had one. Oh yeah, someone asked about one minute fishing because we didn't do it today for the first time. It's not going anywhere, guys, it's coming back. We just I ordered some new equipment because we've got like a little cell phone dead zone back at our usual pond, and so I wanted it to look good instead of look bad. That's what I strive for usually. Keep that's right. And on that note, Uh, that's all I got for questions.
Speaker 1: That's really wow, gang, We we covered politics hard in this episode. I can't can't believe you fell short on that.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm kind of glad that the live chat didn't didn't just devolve into a cesspit of yelling at each other. So I'm actually proud of you guys for not not pypen in too much about that. Yeah, well that's one of the greatest. Someone said that the election was going to be a landslide, but they didn't say so.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, the heck of a community. Hats off to you. You know, we have game show where conservation always wins, and if we all work hard, no matter the administration, we're going to make sure that all the things that matter to us always win.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 1: That's That's what I'm gonna do. Please join, Let's make it happen any closers. We don't do that typically, but.
Speaker 5: Nope, nope, I just h I saw in the initial comments that people thought you look like what's his name in the weather man?
Speaker 1: Rondy comments, all right, that's how he's signing off.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All the quotes I know out of anchorman are not appropriate.
Speaker 4: No, so especially the ones of him behind the news this ruler, Well, this is fun.
Speaker 2: I think we should dress up more often around here.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it heightens the spirits.
Speaker 2: And I'm not I don't like dressing up, but this has been fun.
Speaker 4: I know you can't say that with a straight face, and I can see that straight face. Cory, you look like you're having a great time. Put more effort than anyone in this room. Right now, I can go apply for a bank loan after this. The Human Tours has denied a bank loan. All exactly.
Speaker 2: I can tell you got great.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody for your tuning in. Please share these episodes. There are a ton of fun. If they get out there, we're gonna do more of them. And if we missed anything right in, we'll figure it out.
Speaker 5: To radio at the Meat Eater dot com.
Speaker 4: That's right,