Speaker 1: Hey, hey, BA fam. We love mondays around here because when we publish our how to Throwback episode, so we dig into the BA archives and bring out the ones where we really teach you some incredible skills you could use to advance your career, bring home the bacon and actually know what to do with it. And that's exactly what today's throwback episode is about, because we talk about how to invest beyond your four oh one K. In this episode, we're going to break down why it's finally time for you to start thinking beyond basic savings and retirement accounts and taking advantage of what else there may be out there. Play the field with your money a little bit, okay, and I might tell you a secret about my My money habits a bit of a cash hoarder. Y'all might have known that. But I don't know if I can even compete with Tiffany, y'all, because that girl loves to hold on some cold, hard cash. I think if she didn't have Angelie, you know, her financial planner, I think Tiffany would probably I love that. I'm doom shit about her because she's not here, but I bet she would have like there would be a drawer in her house with just cashing it, just cold heart cash, it would be like a duffel bag and be under her couch cushion somewhere. She'd be that lady. But without further ado, here is our throwback this week, don't forget to rate and review the show. We love hearing from our listeners so much. In fact, I'm going to go and read one of the most recent reviews that we got, because why the hell not? All right? This listener Kansas City Diana. Oh, she left us a review just a week ago. A week ago? Can I speak? Listen, y'all, I've been doing this podcast for how long? Let me get a sentence out of my mouth without a verbal typo. This review is from Kansas City Diana, who left us a review on Apple about a week ago. She says, these two ladies have inspired me with their advice and hype while interviewing some of the most interesting and helpful guests. I have laughed and cried and felt so uplifted by hearing these stories every week.
Speaker 2: Five stars.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Diana. That is so freaking kind. I wish we had started reading these reviews out loud a lot a long time ago, but no better time than the present. If y'all want to leave a review, please, it means so much to us. We really genuinely read each and every one. You can go to wherever you get your podcasts, Apple Podcasts primarily and leave us a review there. All right, let's get into this week's How To episode.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, hey, it's not my usual Vigor. It's been a long day.
Speaker 1: It's been a long day, and Skype is trying us earlier today.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Skype is a hater.
Speaker 1: Skype did not want brund Ambition to happen tonight.
Speaker 4: But Skype lost Brown Ambition one whoop whoop because we back and we black and we brown.
Speaker 2: So how was your birthday?
Speaker 3: Honestly it was awesome.
Speaker 4: So Superman brought me some diamond ear rings, which he was so proud, I know. He made me open them in front of everybody's like good, passed them around because I was like, when am I getting my gift? He was like later on tonight he was like waiting for more people to come.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: So part of the gift was also that he invited like my family and friends to the house on my actual birthday, which was.
Speaker 3: Really nice and he you know, got food.
Speaker 4: He even got like vegan food for me for my favorite vegan restaurant, and even a vegan cake.
Speaker 3: It was a chocolate moose cake that was delicious, awesome.
Speaker 4: I know, I was like, look at you because once I found out, at first it was going to be a little bit of a surprise, and then I think he was just kind of like, well, let me just tell her. So once I found out, you know, I tried to take over and he was like, yeah, so no, I'm the project manager.
Speaker 3: You just sit back.
Speaker 1: Not a gift though, because it's so much so it's so hard to sit back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What I was like calling all my friends secretly like okay.
Speaker 4: Girl, so you know you could do it for her, right, Like what do he say to brain? Okay, no, this is what you need to do. But it was great, and especially when we opened up. He was like open up the present and I can barely look at that. Before he took them, was like passing them around the table. I'm like, honestly, okay, sorry, no, yeah, but honestly, it was.
Speaker 3: An awesome, awesome, awesome birthday. Oh happy birthday, yes, oh child.
Speaker 4: So you know it's so crazy, you know, how last week, like I talked about the and I know you got some mail about that that almost rape moment that I had back when I was like in college.
Speaker 1: Oh right, last still last week on the show, we were talking about all the Harvey Weinstein stuff. Just in case, y'all and Tiffany, you opened up about.
Speaker 2: A really strange, scary.
Speaker 1: Like sexual encounter you had.
Speaker 3: Mom.
Speaker 2: Was that in college?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was like, yeah, I think I had to be maybe a freshman in college and then so I wasn't raped.
Speaker 3: For those of you are like, what, so listen to the show before.
Speaker 4: But I then then to home me Too. So this was relating back to kind of like what's happening now. There's this campaign going around called me Too, where women are sharing their own sexual harassment or rape or molestation or whatever that looks like.
Speaker 3: And it's so powerful. And that's seeing women that I know and.
Speaker 4: I'm like really and seeing their stories and it's I don't know that any woman has not said basically me too, hashtag me too. It's just been really powerful. Have you seen it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean how could you miss it? I mean it's sad sadly, how could you miss it? It seems like half the women I'm on my Facebook feed, you know, are either writing it's it's nice because it's such a simple hashtag and it leaves it leaves you with the ability to not have to say too much, like you can just say me too, but not have to expand on it. But then some of my friends and colleagues and family have been like, you know, taking an opportunity to share, you know, more details and stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it is, so.
Speaker 4: This is kind of I'm just like, did you see did you hear about the story about American Airlines? And uh, Tamika said, Tamika Maori. This is her name.
Speaker 3: She is a mirror maworie. No, it's Tamika, That's what it is. She's a black activist.
Speaker 4: So I guess I'm just saying this is just coming out that like she was booted from an American Airlines plane.
Speaker 3: Now they have this big.
Speaker 4: Well she's starting kind of like a campaign, I guess against American Airlines. So apparently she tried to switch her seat, wasn't able to. I guess a pilot overheard her going back and forth with the gate agent, so after she would seate it. So I guess at a Kiosk. She switched her seat from middle to aisle, but it didn't take at the gate, so she was going back and forth with the gate agent like no, no, I had an aisle seat, a middle seat or whatever. The pilot overheard, and I guess when she got seated then had her removed. This is like after they she went back and forth with the gate agent. So anyway, it's just kind of random, and I was just like, what, you would think these airlines would be more more careful these days about removing people, Like not just for me reading it now, of course I'm not hearing what American Airlines is having to say, but reading it now, it seems like so, but you would think that they'd be more careful with how they've been sued so many times for improper removing people, improperly removing people. One of my friends works for an airline, so whenever something like this happens, I always ask him, like, you know, so, like what you know, did they did they follow procedure? What could what what they what were they allowed to do or not allowed to do? And his his insights always really interesting when he's like, oh, yeah, they totally messed up or actually that's the procedure and unfortunately just went left.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's airlines.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's not just the airlines, it's like the people working, you know, it's like the PR, the PR person that the airline definitely would handle it differently, but like when it's down to like the individual at the gate and like and who they're hiring, and like so many.
Speaker 3: People, it is especially you know, it's not easy.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not saying that America, I didn't make a mistake, but customer support and service can be because you know, everyone's just so many personalities to deal with, and you know, just managing that like the person before might have just yelled at you, the other person is like I'm going to get.
Speaker 3: You fired, and it's just so much. I don't even know how.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess you could say I work in customer support in some ways, and sometimes I'm like I'm all right on the other side, yeah, well, being on the side of like service, you know, because like you'll try to serve somebody.
Speaker 3: Yo, there is what is that saying about, like no good deedgos unpunished.
Speaker 4: Like literally I could give something like hey, guys, I'm going to give you this present.
Speaker 3: It's so great here and it's totally free. It will change your life.
Speaker 4: And somebody will still be like it's not purple though, and I'm like, what, like somebody will complain about something so random of this free gift.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: I remember one time a woman signed up for my Live Ritual Challenge, which is completely free, and it's already years in, so you know, in the beginning, I can understand people are a little sketchy about like, oh, is this really free or is it like fake free? When they're like it got you, but it's like year four now, so there's no gotcha, gotcha. And so she wanted a one on one so she emailed and me was like, Hey, you know I'm doing the challenge.
Speaker 3: I have a question. Can I can I get a phone call?
Speaker 4: And I was like, you know, unfortunately, because there's so many women at this time, it was a few hundred thousand, and you know that I can't do one on one phone call. But you police post in the group because there's literally hundreds of thousands of women and someone has the answer for you. And she wrote back, and I'll never forget this. I remember looking at the screen and blinking. Well, clearly, this is not a program for me. If you can't take the time out of your day to get on the phone to help somebody, I think i'll remove myself. I'm like, from the from the free program. Like I was thinking to myself, ma'am, I'm literally this is okay.
Speaker 3: You could leave. I'd prefer if you don't. But I'm like, it's a free program.
Speaker 4: Why are you mad at me because I won't take a call from all three hundred thousand women who hit me up.
Speaker 3: That's why I created the group, because because I kept getting so many requests to talk that I.
Speaker 4: Said, there has to be a way that people still get help if I can't speak to anyone individually, everyone individually, and so it's like you still get the help for free, no matter what. And so I just remember thinking like, wow, you could do a lot of good, but there's always going to be somebody who's going to be like.
Speaker 3: I know you gave your arm, but you didn't give you a shoulder, you know. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The service industry, Yes, that service.
Speaker 4: Industry, it can be well, I mean I'm great, so on truth, people are nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was gonna say like, yeah, I have a lot.
Speaker 4: I mean, ninety nine percent of the dream catches are honestly, it's the thing that keeps me going.
Speaker 3: But then you get that one and you're like, girl, get on my inbox.
Speaker 1: Hey, did you see the Google doodle today? Yes, Elena, I didn't realize today. What is it the anniversary of her very first album in nineteen.
Speaker 3: What people?
Speaker 1: What an icon there?
Speaker 3: I know, isn't that so crazy? There's some people who because how old was she?
Speaker 1: She was twenty three twenty four when she died.
Speaker 3: I mean she was like a baby exactly.
Speaker 4: And I mean I wonder what it is about some people who are who leaves such a mark on the world that they literally change it and are forever remembered, you know what I mean, Like like what is that magic sauce that some people have, because like I'm not even like into like necessarily, like I'm not sure what you would call the music, the type like her genre music.
Speaker 1: It was well, she started out doing tehano music, I think, and then she was crossing over into pop music.
Speaker 4: So I'm not like, you know, but still I knew about Selena like and her impact. So it just sometimes people just leave this Mark and it's in you know, it's just forever part of the fabric of I don't know, of our culture. And that's Selena. I'm like, oh, man, like yeah, what a beautiful young soul. And you're right, she was a baby, and it's such a shame.
Speaker 1: We could use this today.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I think what she represented too, the combination of culture from Mexico to America, because you know, she was grew up in Texas with Mexican American, but that's like a different culture than straight Mexican than straight American. And I think she represented both worlds so so great, so well, and she was like both of ours, and you know, represented like a new generation of young Mexican American immigrants. And of course she died so young.
Speaker 2: It's also just like.
Speaker 1: The fact of someone dying so young and being so bright, like Aliyah. Think about Alia when you think about Selena. But if you want to go feel some kills and have like a little pick me up, go check out the Google all you have until midnight.
Speaker 2: Actually it's over by now.
Speaker 1: When you're listening to this, it's like it's that it's gonna be on YouTube though, no, no, it's on YouTube.
Speaker 3: If you go to them.
Speaker 1: They had the video that they have is on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You can just you can go to.
Speaker 1: YouTube and look up Selena Google doodle pop up.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you want to break? Do you want to boost? Because I won't want to. I don't know what do I want to do? Break or boost? What do you want to do?
Speaker 1: I want to break? Well, I always get torn. I want to do a break from more money, more problems. Okay, here's the problem. I feel like I'm at that place now where we had to have a you know, we had a financial planner and she was really useful to us, especially this last year. She was a feeling planner, and we would pay her a monthly fee for her services. Then she would she would come sometimes visit New York to meet this in person and she would just offer a lot of advice and help us everything from comparing you know, life insurance plans to when we got married, looking at our health insurance plans and you know, recommend ending which one to go with and like really helpful and and anyway, so we've had we've had a great year and it's been really helpful, you know, having this this this planner. But it's like now it's getting to a point.
Speaker 2: Where we have we have our goals, and we have money in the bank.
Speaker 1: But she's like, you have way too much in cash. And I feel like we're becoming that millennial prophecy or like the millennial stereotype of like we keep too much in our savings because we're afraid of investing. I'm afraid of investing, but just like we're hesitant to start investing with our with our savings, our cash money, you know a note, both of us max out our four to one. K's like, we have no problem doing that. But other than that, it's always been we're sort of like squirling and hoarding. And I say we but really it's me. Yeah, I'm sort of like nurturing this little that's like my little.
Speaker 3: Little like.
Speaker 1: My frescious.
Speaker 3: It's a white, fluffy cat.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, what do you mean there's too much?
Speaker 4: Yes, oh my god, that must be the millennial like, because I'm like, I'm generation is an X.
Speaker 3: Right, is that what is white before millennial?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: But I'm like on the I'm like I said generation yes, but I'm like a super like I'm on the young side of Generation X, and that so I have a lot of millennial tendencies, and that is so me. I've got a little stockpile for when the wear from the one the war comes, right, I'm ready, you know, I have so much cash sitting My financial advisor just looked at me like, Tiffany, what are you doing. I'm like, I don't know because I am afraid to invest. I'm not gonna lie. I do I have my I have my you know, my my retirement fund set up. So the superman, but there there's a part of me that it's really afraid to like not see the stockpile, you know, like no, no, because when the war comes and if recession hits, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: You know, I got my gold bars underneath the bed. So no, I totally feel you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, one of the.
Speaker 1: Things that she she gave us a plan, an action plan, because she gave us an action plan last month and I've been really like procrastinating and actually doing it. But it's actually a plan on how much. So a lot of we've gotten this question before. You know, after your four oh one k, what are you supposed to do with everything else that you earn over your lifetime? And you know you're blessed to earn money beyond that point, but like, what are you supposed to do with it?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: How is the best way to invest? And she's sort of had I mean, everyone's situation is different, but she started off by asking us our goals, which is one, we want to we want to save a down payment for a house. I guess in my mind, I've just been stockpiling, stockpiling, stockpiling.
Speaker 2: I live in New York.
Speaker 1: City, so I'm like, oh, I don't know how much it's going to be enough for house a million dollars. I guess I'll never stop saving. But that's not actually true.
Speaker 2: She, you know, crunched the numbers. We actually, you know, for our budget.
Speaker 1: We decided how much we actually needed to save for a down payment realistically, and then how much we have left over when we're going to want to use that down payment money, how much we actually want to budget for our annual vacationing and those larger expenses that we spent throughout the year. That was pretty much our only big or two big earmarks for savings, one for the retire sorry, one for a down payment on a house, and two for annual vacations and trips. Because we have, you know, vacations and also like seventy five weddings.
Speaker 3: To go to a year.
Speaker 1: Now outside of that, she's like, you really don't end your emergency fund, of course, which is you know, we have about six months of income. She suggests a six months. I like to keep twelve, but we're going back and forth on that. Maybe we'll settle on nine after that. So one is obviously emergency fund. Two the down payment for the house. Three the vacations. So once you have that set aside, she's like, now with this extra money. In my mind, I hadn't been letting myself see it as extra. I it'd sort of been, like I said, just tricking or like telling myself that I needed tosave all this money for the down payment when I don't really need to. He's like, okay, we're gonna start by create investing in some CDs, which is like a baby step above a c.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what see he told me that to Frank mind. Okay, I'm listening. I'm like, oh, Frank said that, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, So CDs for you guys. So CDs was a CD was the thing that my grandma bought me when I was born, and.
Speaker 2: It's like a certificate. And I literally got like.
Speaker 1: This pink certificate check like thing when I turned eighteen, and I don't even know where that thing ended up, I think, But anyway, a certificate deposit is just it's basically a savings account with some more rules, and it has slightly higher rates than what you'll get on a savings account, a regular old savings account today.
Speaker 2: And the longer you keep your money in.
Speaker 1: A CD, they sell three month CDs, six months CDs, nine month, twelve month, five years, on and on, and the longer you keep your money in, the higher your rate can be. The caveat is that that time limit is if you take the money out before that time limit three months, six month, twelve month, you'll pay a penalty for withdrawing the funds. So it really has to be money that you're not going to use anytime soon or anytime within that window. And of course the higher the longer you put the money away for, the higher your reward. So she suggested, you know, putting a small chunk into a five year CD, putting a little bit of a larger chunk into like a I think a three year CD, and then putting an even larger chunk into a one year CD and letting the money grow there. And then from there, she suggested opening up one both of us opening up an i RA outside of our four one K investments and under i r S rules were both allowed to contribute what is it, fifty five hundred into an i RA.
Speaker 4: Oh really, even after you've maxed that, even if you've maxed that your your four to one K.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is outside of your employer contribution, your four one K. This is your personal individual retirement account.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And and you know I actually already have one because I had like a rollover IRAY from before through Vanguard. That's kind of just sitting there and I can contribute. I can just can keep I can just contribute fifty five hundred dollars to that for the year. And then my husband he doesn't have one yet, so opening up him an IRA.
Speaker 2: And I know the next.
Speaker 1: Question people are wondering is like, well, where do you open an IRA at? But you can do it at Vanguard. We can get a betterment account if we wanted to do TD in error trade. Charles Schwab, there's a bunch of discount they call them discount.
Speaker 2: Brokerages or whatever.
Speaker 1: That are out there, and they typically have like a minimum deposit, you know, requirement of like I don't know, five hundred bucks to one thousand bucks. And anyway, that was the next step is opening up those roth iras and putting money in there.
Speaker 4: So she a financial advisor that she's advising and she's going to do this or she's.
Speaker 3: Like a planet.
Speaker 1: He's not doing it. She's That's The's why I've been procrastinating because I have to actually do it anyway. So and I had her, you know, send the email with the whole plan. And there's other things too, like of course maxing out the four O one K. Here's here's the thing that I've learned about. So I've been you know, I've been talking about personal finance for so long. You know how you hear those like rules of thumb and you just like repeat them and then you're like, oh, that's always been the way it is. You know, whether it's saved six months retire or save six months emergency fund or save ten percent for retirement. I always hear this rule every year at the end of the year. There's all these articles that come out saying end of year texts or end of your financial planning advice, and the first thing is usually max out your four one K if you have additional funds.
Speaker 2: Or you get a bonus or whatever.
Speaker 1: And our planner says, you know your income has increased throughout the year, you haven't been contributing, You're not going to max out your four to one case, You've got to boost your contributions to your four O one K to make sure you max it out before the end of the year. Now it's easier said than done, is what I've realized. Like, it's not like your four to one K through your employer tells you when you've max at your account. You have to actually do the math and be like, I mean, some of them might do that, but mine doesn't. You have to actually say, Okay, well, i have year.
Speaker 2: What month is it October?
Speaker 1: I've got three months more.
Speaker 2: In the year. I've got six pay periods, so I've got.
Speaker 1: To figure out how much how much more I have to get to my limit, which is eighteen thy five hundred that's how much anyone who has a four to one K can contribute for the year, the tax year. How much I can contribute to hit that mark? And then divide it by the six pay periods and then go into my retirement planner, my direct deposit back end stuff on my employee website and change my contributions. And then you have to really watch it because if you go over then you can get penalized for it by the IRS. So it's like trickier and more complex than it's just one of those rules that I always hear about. And so I'm actually doing the thing that I feel like people have been asking, you know, what do you do when you've like you got your retirement kind of covered, you played at your debt, and like, now what to do with the money. And That's That's what I'm doing. It's what I should be doing. Anyway, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: It's done, it's done, it's done.
Speaker 1: I did do the increase your four win k of contributions.
Speaker 3: What a racket?
Speaker 1: Though, I'm like, why do I feel like I'm still broke? It's because I'm putting like half my page check away.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I remember those days where I used to be like, but then you try to tell yourself, well, you're not really broke, but you're like.
Speaker 3: What I feel like I'm broke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's fine, We're doing fine, but it does feel kind of like, well, what do you mean I have to I can't, I can't have it. But yeah, we've rune max at the four one k for the year. I'm going to open the CDs. I think I've picked. I think I've picked. I mean, honestly, with CDs, it's really just like pick the ones that give you the highest rate. So there's a great website called the Positi Accounts dot Com. It's really nerdy, but if you're looking to just really compare CD rates to Posit Accounts dot com, you can't go wrong. They're actually our sister site under lending Tree, and they are like they have I mean, I just got briefed on like the technology that they use to scrape banks for their rates and they will find rates everywhere. So anyway, that's where I'm like comparing rates. And ally Bank has a no penalty CD. Those do exist where okay, you put it away and you actually won't get penalized if you take it out. They have a no penalty I think eleven month CD, which isn't bad. And there's there's other ones that I'm kind of looking at I think I might. I might. I don't know if I'm gonna do all my CDs in one place or not. It kind of depends on I'm not sure how how much I can tolerate managing accounts that like a bunch of different banks right now, which seems like a lot of work. But anyway, I'm gonna try, and I'm gonna I'm gonna do what she says. I'm gonna prop it up. I'm gonna I'm gonna feel better because honestly, it's right, It's logical, Like the money you have sitting in your savings account, even if it's earning the maximum right now, which it's.
Speaker 4: Still losing because inflation is eating up anything that you might be earning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I know, and you know how you know that? You? I mean, I know that. And for those of you, like what's inflation, Inflation is.
Speaker 4: That the cost of money lowers each year, Like so thanks for yourself. Like when you used to get a bag of chips when you were a kid, and maybe those chips cost twenty five cents, and by the time you're an adult, those same chips, your money can do less, those same chips cost fifty cents, and so inflation means over time your money can do less basically, so the same thing costs more and more money. And so that means if you are saving and your money is growing at one percent, but inflation, so your money is growing, but inflation is actually lowering your money's buying power by three percent, you're actually gaining one but losing three, so you're losing two.
Speaker 3: So if you do the math, so hopefully that explains it.
Speaker 4: So my brown boose break is going to be a break. I had something else, like something about the house, just because I'm so over this process, but whatever, Hopefully by next time we speak, I'll be in the house.
Speaker 3: But I was just like whatever, So.
Speaker 4: Instead I'm gonna brown boost from because it's happened. A couple of clients have reached out to me to work with me and then totally trying to undercut and I'm like, I'm not like what, and so it's just I just saw I just saw this like thing scroll across my timeline. It said the hookup is a drain on black entrepreneurs. Charge folks and they will respect you more. And so this is not necessarily the hookup because you know, these are like bigger companies whatever. But I just don't like that because one, you know, I've worked really hard to bring like clear value to the table.
Speaker 3: I could see like when I was first starting out, and I was like, well, you know, it's a long shot.
Speaker 4: No, I want I over deliver, and I when I'm showing the numbers, I'm always conservative, and even then it always exceeds like what clients are typically looking for, and they'll admit that like ooh, yes, girl, that's way more than we thought. And that's still I will still undershoot because I'd rather overdeliver. And then when you tell them a number which is more than reasonable, more like like it's the industry standard because I've asked around and I know this is what colleagues are getting or whatever. That's why I love that we have our own like financial groups online, because people will ask.
Speaker 3: And I'll know and then they're like, oh no.
Speaker 4: Half that I'm like, are you kidding me? And so that's happened a couple of times. But you know what, this is what I realized that it's one of the reasons why I'm so glad that my business model is not I want to say, my mom, maybe twenty five percent of my business model is working with clients, meaning like companies or whatever want to work for. Everything else for the most part is B two C, meaning like directly to the customer. So when that happens, like lately I've been walking away from It's not that the number that they're giving me is not a lot of money, because it is relative to what I used to make before, but it's not fair compensation for the ask, especially me knowing what the industry number is and me even knowing sometimes what you're paying other people. So that is my roundbreak because it's honestly, it's frustrating because I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, really, because definitely what you made such.
Speaker 4: As such, even though they probably not supposed to tell me, so I'm like whatever, but still I'm still like or like what you know, like I can deliver or I've delivered before, and you're still trying to tell me like this. So I've just been saying no, no, and I'd never said no before because I'm like, oh, Tippy, that's still good money girl.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, you know what.
Speaker 4: For twenty eighteen, one of the things I really want to focus on because I learned like even when before I started dating Superman, I remember calling a friend of mine who was married, and she too was like an influencer and had her own business, and she was she was she had just had a baby, and I was calling her and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I'm tired of being by myself. And she was like, well, do you make a relationship a priority? And I was like, what do you mean.
Speaker 4: She's like, Tiffany, I know you go hard for your business, but are you going hard for your love life? And I was like, well, girl, I mean I look you when I go out. She's like, do you go out? I'm like, I mean no, I did not go out. She's like, so unless you're dating a ups guy, which there's no harm in that, Like, where are you gonna.
Speaker 3: Find this magic person?
Speaker 4: You have to make the thing that you want a priority, just like you make your business a priority.
Speaker 3: And so I did, and Voilac, Superman. We's buried now.
Speaker 4: So all y'all know that I want a little bambino or Bambina, And so for twenty eighteen, I told myself that I'm gonna make that a priority. And so as a result, I'm really learning to say no to things that are not in alignment. Well one I've said, I say no to things that are not emotionally in alignment or not alignment with my values. But now I'm learning to say things like because I'm I have to make time for like taking care of myself, relaxing so I can be, you know, a vessel for a beautiful baby, a healthy vessel for a beautiful baby. So I am not selling myself short anymore because I'm like, why you know?
Speaker 3: And so it's just bothered me because it's happened a couple.
Speaker 4: Of times and I'm I'm like, what the heck. So I'm just like, no, girl, kick rocks and if they come back, they do, if they don't. The good thing about like I said, the way my company is set up is most of my income comes from treating the DreamCatcher as well. And as long as I do that, I'll never be broke. So yeah, so it's just but it's just and.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong with that either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's honestly the only way to do.
Speaker 1: You just can't focus on everything one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Did this episode feel.
Speaker 1: Different to you?
Speaker 3: What in a bad way and a good one and a good way?
Speaker 1: Do you realize this is a one hundredth episode. Oh my god, I remember it, and then I forgot well you mentioned I meant to mention at the beginning of the show. We're just an old married couple, now old married podcast couple. Forgetting our wow one hundred half of one hundred episode Ofversary.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what I personed that you, Maddy. Weren't you working at I don't think we just spoke on the phone.
Speaker 3: You're working at.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you did an interview, and I remember I was so excited, like, oh my god, I'm famous.
Speaker 1: Now, and then we were and everything happened for you.
Speaker 3: Right, I was not famous then I was just like what okay? And then you I met you at Think and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, wow, I like her in real life. And we took like a long walk like it was like, yo, we really corded, we really recording. Remember, we were like, you know what, let's get the the finn contestivities.
Speaker 3: Let's just take a long walk on the buyou.
Speaker 4: And I think you were talking to me about husband at the time, but he wasn't husband and my superman at the time.
Speaker 3: If he wasn't my husband, yo, look how far we've come, We've.
Speaker 4: Gotten married, Maddy has gone natural. Oh my goodness, there's somebody right.
Speaker 3: I started a new business. You started a new job. I mean, so many things have happened.
Speaker 4: I'm pregnant, just kidding, I right, hopefully you know next podcast.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's awesome. Thank you guys for listening our hundredth episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you for wanting a hundred episodes because I remember not even knowing if this was a good idea. I knew I really wanted to do it, and y'ah who told me no? And I was like, I'm a dude anyway, and I was gonna help. Okay, okay, Oh what a fun walk down memory lane. We hope you guys enjoyed this episode of the Throwback b A. Make sure to check out Brown Ambition every week three times a week Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for more great career and financial advice. Until next time, Bye,