Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done.
Speaker 2: Done, that's messed up? An SVU podcast. I'm your host Liza Traeger.
Speaker 1: And I'm your other hosts Kara Klank, and we talk SVU episodes true crime, and we're still holding off on guests even though the writer's strike has been resolved and we feel the SAG strike Hopefully by the time this episode even comes out will be resolved, I mean, fingers crossed, and we can get back to having some guests soon.
Speaker 2: They just rejected an offer. I wonder what it was. It's like the writer's about everything, like just the same.
Speaker 3: What are they doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if it just has like I feel like the AI thing with writing is one thing, but the AI thing with like scanning people's likenesses and like reusing it. Like I just saw an article yesterday that there's some insurance out or something with Tom Hanks in it, and he's like, that's not me, Like you know what I mean. So it's like they're they're they're just to me. With actors, there's more of an opportunity for AI to be like abusive than even with writers.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's what they're holding out on.
Speaker 2: I'm not confused why the actors are holding out. I'm confused why the studios aren't just giving in, like yeah, we like they really the writers won, they got what they wanted. Yeah, what makes them think the actors are not going to do that too?
Speaker 3: Like that's my thing?
Speaker 2: Like, you can't scan a person's face, yeah, keep it forever for one fee, for a two hundred and fifty dollars Like like that's not even this isn't even bit. This is wild behavior. You can't scan a face and keep it. Sorry, sorry, this isn't the movie The Island. You know what I mean? You can't do it. Listen, I have huge news.
Speaker 3: What's the news.
Speaker 2: I my friend's in town from London, and uh so I picked her up from the beach. From the beach, I picked up from the airport, and usually when I pick up visitors from the airport, I go straight to the beach, and that's what we did. Then we went to the Santa Monica Pier. I played whack a Mole against three people. I won. I won a squash mollow. It's like, I want this prize and it's it's like a blueberry cupcake with a face on it. It's so fucking cute. And I jumped up and down so hard and I the other people didn't know who they were up against in terms of whack a mole, but.
Speaker 3: It was it felt very important. I want to see it. Oh my god, that's very cute, very cute. It was so cute. We'll post it. We'll post it in the stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ferris Wheel. You know, sometimes a tourist attraction is nice.
Speaker 3: So the alay No, So the huge news is the squash mollow. Yeah, correct, yes, yes, can you top that? Kara?
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't have any good I don't have any good, good good stuff to top that, unfortunately, But we do have news.
Speaker 2: If you guys have been living under a rock and truly skipping every intro we've ever discussed, we are on tour.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: It is the seventeenth of October today when this episode goes live, which means it's not too late for you to catch us in Cleveland tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We were back at Hilarities. We were there last year. Listen.
Speaker 1: I'll be the first to admit that last year we did an episode in Cleveland that was a bit of a bummer.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: It did start with two dead people and a dead child lying in the forest together, pose like lying down together, like they were having a little camping trip, but they were dead.
Speaker 3: We don't love that.
Speaker 1: We are coming back with a hot new episode to Cleveland.
Speaker 3: You're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun, much more fun and flirty than the last episode, and it's gonna be great. So come see us at Hilarities. Then on Thursday, we are in Boston. We are playing the Wilber. It's the biggest venue we've ever played. Grab a friend, please come out and see us. We really don't want to, you know, flop at the Wilber with like, you know, not too many people.
Speaker 3: So we'd love to see you.
Speaker 1: After Boston, we're in Toronto on the twenty fourth, Detroit on the twenty fifth, Pittsburgh on the twenty sixth, and then check That's Messed Up Live dot com for our Midwest dates Salt Lake, Sacramento, New York. Our first show has sold out. We are doing a second show. We're adding a late show, come see us at City Winery in New York and then closing the tour out in Philly in December.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we really want to see you, guys. We love you. And Lisa's doing some stand up as well. Yeah I'm out there. I'm out there, guys.
Speaker 1: Check her instagram, check the Glitter Cheese instagram for her shows and yeah that's not for now. What else is going on besides the amazing squash mollow.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am booking like I have like free times, so I'm booking some hotels in New York, and the hotels like there was even one thing that said, like, sorry, our prices are higher.
Speaker 3: It's fall.
Speaker 2: People are really coming here in fall, and it makes sense. Fall in New York is gorgeous. Yeah, but I didn't realize that the price is skyrocket so much for the fall.
Speaker 3: I just did. I didn't either.
Speaker 1: I just did this podcast where the host asked me, what's a movie that, if you could, you would like jump in and out of it, like you could like go to like different scenes in the movie.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And I I ended up choosing when Harry met Sally because I would love to go to New York during all these different times, Like there's like fall in New York, they're in summer in New York, they're in like they're kind of like eighties New York, but maybe they start in seventies New York. So I that's what I chose. I always think of falling New York. I think of the cover of when Harry met Sally Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought what movie would I want to hunt?
Speaker 3: I know it's her first thing.
Speaker 2: The first thing that came to mind was Jumanji, which is insane.
Speaker 3: You want to like run from animals, so that's wrong.
Speaker 2: Then once you started talking to New York, I was like, oh, I wonder what she's gonna say. So then I thought big business because the Plaza Hotel, so that would be fun. And then the fashion is so cool. But I like where you're thinking, like you could see every season, So what would I like to do?
Speaker 3: Maybe we bought a zoo. I like animals. I love that.
Speaker 2: With Matt Damon, I don't know, yeah, Or do I pick cartoon or do I pick inside out and go to you know, inside of a brain of a child.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think you would like that. I don't think you would like that.
Speaker 2: What do all the things inside the head do when the girl hits puberty and starts, you know, getting fingered out and about? I feel I does Joy get jump up and down? Or does she close her eyes? What does Joy do? Great question I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: I feel like Disgust takes the wheel, like she starts driving the whole thing, and Joy is kind of like, I'm back here, but like kind of really only for like a couple of things, like but definitely a fingering.
Speaker 1: I bet Joy does have a good time. That movie was good, funny to think about. Yeah, oh I love that. It should be what is it called mandatory viewing?
Speaker 3: Yes, Rosie's outside right now watching the Lego movie. By the way, Rosie's home from school. Everybody, So, if I am you know, she'supt her string cheese.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I'm interrupted during this recording, it's because she's like knock knock, knock, ding dong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did a good impression of her. That is how she kind of sounds.
Speaker 3: It's so cute.
Speaker 2: I hope she comes in. My friend from another country is out and about. She went for a walk to be respectful, but in my head. I was like, her accents insane, Like I have to acclimate to it. She's a Jordy for those who know what that means. She's from Newcastle and so like she just sounds like it takes me a couple of days to figure her out. Like Estra, I kept having to be like, wait, what was that. She's like, ugh, you know, She's like.
Speaker 3: You're right, yeah, you have to get you have to get acclimated for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm listening to this podcast right now that you know it's obviously about child murder sadly, but like it takes place in like the northeast of England, like Sunderland or something like that, and it's like everybody you know, like I cannot even understand what a lot of people are saying, Like it's like an English accent I've never heard before. So I'm really like, I like, I like, I'm always like I hope the host is going to summarize after this interview, because I don't know what this person is saying, but I love it. I can't wait to meet your friends because I love British accents. But I used to have a thing where I was like Meredith Marx and if I talk to somebody from a foreign country for like a little bit, I would just start talking in their accent.
Speaker 2: I think that's normal. I really think that's normal behavior. I think it's like they say, it's an empathy thing too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like I also just think the accents are cool like I and sound pretty, and I'm like, oh, can I talk like that?
Speaker 3: Like I don't know. No, I'm actually embarrassing.
Speaker 2: When I get to London, I'll say may, I'll say flat, it's not it's not good, it's not good. But I will just start talking like I belong there.
Speaker 3: It's not a crisps Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's so wild because when people come to America they really keep their acts like oh that's different.
Speaker 3: Like I don't feel that people that come.
Speaker 2: From other places suddenly start talking more American.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I remember always asking, like my babysitters that were from other countries like New Zealand or Ireland or whatever.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, do an American accent?
Speaker 1: And they'd always be like yeah, okay, like they would do like Valley Girl.
Speaker 3: That I like.
Speaker 2: But that's them do but that's them pretending, that's them making fun of us. Like I like when they make fun of us, but they're never naturally just like Calipunga, Like they don't do that out of nowhere. But we'll be over there and we'll just be like cherryo out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: It's sick.
Speaker 2: We're sick. Yeah, we're sick. We're sick people. But let's move on and watch more sick people or listen, listen, thank you for also listening. We're really obsessed with you and we're we feel happy that we get to do this. Yes, oh many big news. I got to go to a restaurer. I never went to sushi belt restaurant.
Speaker 3: Whoa when did you go? In Chicago?
Speaker 2: I went with my sister, her husband and friend, and she's my friend there you know, they've known each other since they were twelve, like my elders. But and then you pay by the you know plate colors. It was so fun and then you could still order to yourself if you want it on a screen, and there's a train track on top with giant trucks and a truck will bring it just to your.
Speaker 1: Table and then to go on in La there is there are people like but I there's one that like it's so hard to get a reservation. It's not like it's exclusive, it's just like you have to do it on their app, and the app is like really not designed well, Like I have the app, like I really want to go.
Speaker 2: Speaking of poorly designed apps, like all the grocery stores in Chicago have apps.
Speaker 3: They're so hard to use.
Speaker 2: My dad needs so much help, and it like I was struggling figuring out how to apply the coupons and switch the screens and where to look. And it's like, go back to having a preferred card, go back to a paper thing, or make these apps easier, Like.
Speaker 3: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, trying to keep coupons away from our elderly parents and I'm not here for it.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not here for it. Yeah, Oh my god, that reminder that coupon queen movie, the Queen Pin movie that I watched on Delta. Anyway, I love that movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We love murder obviously in Scary Ship, but it's like I do love suspense when you know it's not gonna get too bad, like Curl Summer. It's fourteen's yeah, so it's not gonna get too dark, even though there's kidnapping, and I like that the impostors. I think that was like a VH one or Bravo scripted, like, you know, it's scary, it's there's suspense, but it'll be a look.
Speaker 3: The steaks are a little lower. Yeah, and that's how.
Speaker 2: Queen pen felt. And then isn't like bb Rexa in it wildly? Isn't Oh yeah, Hacker, Yes, oh my god, Yes, that's so funny. I forgot that that was bbe Rexa's big acting turn. You would hate mister Robot because mister Robot is like suspense, but like everything is like if this goes wrong, the fucking world is going.
Speaker 3: To shut down. Like it's so suspenseful and so high stakes.
Speaker 2: But well I like that too, you know, Arlington Road, I like. I like real suspense. I love a twist, twist for your nerves.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, well let's let's get into speaking of twists, let's get into excited episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, such a good episode.
Speaker 1: And this is our one hundred and fiftieth episode, babies, that's the susk was Centennial, I believe is what it's called. Uh so that's our that's from Waiting for Golf Man. Remember it's the one hundred and fifteth anniversary of their town, so they have the Suska Centennial. That's the only reason I know, Well, what if I just knew the different uh center that name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for those who don't know why Care is suddenly explaining herself, it's because I gave her a dirty look.
Speaker 1: For just like al the fuck? But yeah, we're excited. One hundred and fifteth episode. We've always wanted to do this EP and here we are, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are doing a very.
Speaker 1: Requested episode called Authority. Everyone has asked for this since we started this podcast twenty years ago, and here we are finally doing it. It's season nine, episode seventeen.
Speaker 2: It does feel like a holiday like it feels extra special. It feels maybe not the first time we had you know, Captain Craig, and that was that. I remember that excitement, But this feels really special.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited to do this. What I mean?
Speaker 1: People call this one the Robin Williams episode, obviously, and it is our one hundred and fiftieth episode, so we had to pick a banger, and here we are with Authority.
Speaker 2: So I love one fifty. Honestly, I love it more than one hundred.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Wait in Waiting for Guffman, I think the one hundred and fiftieth. It's called the Suska Centennial. I think, wait, they call it girl. So I forgot what city I was in, and this was Portland. I got a present with enamel.
Speaker 2: Pintons and one is clearly for me, and then like, one is clearly for you. But I didn't know the reference. So I was just like, I don't know which one it is. And just this week I looked and it's fucking it's park A Posy from Waiting for Guffman in her dairy queen outfit.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a pin. I know she's in my bag. So when I see you.
Speaker 3: Today, you have to have it. I just looked it up. Oh, and that reminds me.
Speaker 1: I have a fucking birthday present for you too, A small one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'll bring that in the car today too. It won't be wrapped. I hope that's okay. It's really okay. But yeah.
Speaker 2: This was when we did trivia at our live show. This was one of the questions, what is this episode called? Because I think it's so you would call it the Robin Williams one. No one's calling it authority, but it makes so much sense, and he's such a good actor and he's so talented, and he really.
Speaker 3: More than Jim Carrey.
Speaker 2: But like both of these just wild looney tunes changed our lives. Yeah, they are singular talents in a way where it's like no one even comes close. They do these extraordinary things, pushing to the limits of comedy drama.
Speaker 3: I don't know it's.
Speaker 1: Wait, were you and I talking on this podcast about how there's like a PG and a PG thirteen and an R rated version of Missus Doubtfire?
Speaker 3: Because like, that's how good this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Jared and I were talking about it because he tried to Jared tried to tell me that it was a drive by fruiting, and I go, it's a run by fruiting, like I know, Missus Doubtfire, so I had to google it and prove him wrong. And then he goes, I bet you, Robin Williams. I go, that sounds kind of improvised, like an improvised line, like it was a run by fruiting, because like, I don't know, it sounds improvised to me, and he goes, yeah, I bet Wob Williams had like fifty takes for like and everyone different anytime he did anything. So wow, this has turned into a full tribute.
Speaker 3: To Robin Williams. I'm about to like start crying to a picture of the genie.
Speaker 2: But I know and also just he did a lot for extremely hairy men, I would say too, he really is. He pushed hair to the limit. I would s body hair to the limit. For a fact, I don't know anyone as hairy as him. That's out famous.
Speaker 3: No, and he's living in the pre laser days. You know, who knows what would have happened.
Speaker 2: No, I think you would have left it because it gives you know, Jumanji and stuff like you don't have to Yeah, and bird cage. I mean he really he's Also he doesn't just like have body hair, he's.
Speaker 3: The he pushed it to the limit. He like a war Low cut.
Speaker 1: And do we have like funny man leading men like that now that are like not hotties, you know what I mean, Like we're giving cris Pine comedy roles or whatever we're giving you know, like certain people, but like who is like Robin Williams where it's like not conventionally a hot man, handsome, but like you know, and just such a good, big talent that they're carrying movies. You know, maybe like Steve Carell back when forty year old Virgin and stuff.
Speaker 3: Was his big times. And what about Seth Rogan, Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: A little bit more one note to me, like Seth Rogen's so funny to me, but he's like stone or dude like thing. And Robin Williams just did so much like we were saying singular.
Speaker 2: I don't think I didn't think we were trying to compare the comedic skill.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone is Robin Williams. Yeah, you were just saying I was just that comedy guys. And then you're like, but they're not Robin Williams.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm playing no, no, no, no, no no, I kind of you know what I mean, like where their talent was enough to get them like huge rather than just like looks or hotness or nepo or whatever.
Speaker 3: But you're right, Seth Rogan would count for that.
Speaker 2: And he did a lot of drama. I mean, because I watch Awakenings. At one of our live show, I said Spring Awakening instead of Awakenings and only one person laughed, and I bet they were laughing at me.
Speaker 3: Now that I think about it's, well, it's probably one of those things where I just moved on because I've never seen Spring Awakening, but I have seen Awakenings, and oh my god, you remember this, you remember this? Mone I know I'm just saying it. Probably I probably was like, okay, like because I've never seen spre Awakening, because normally, if I knew, I would say something.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Awakenings Awakenings. They made us watch it in school, and I don't think I was ready. I don't think I think I was too young like that like fucked me up. Yeah, I think we really did justice to Robin Williams before you go into this really good twisty turning. And I think this is a Helen Shaver episode. Oh directed this because it is done like a movie, and I feel like her episodes are very movie like.
Speaker 3: But we'll see who it is, it says, directed by David Platt.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see what he's up to, because it did seem like it's really cinematic. Yeah, let's see how many svus. He's really not that men. I'm a little confused. Oh direct, Okay, he's actually he's done my lucky number. So he's done fifty four episodes of SVU. Holy, okay, two thousand to twenty ten. Because it is it is done so well. There's like explosions. I feel like we're just in so many locations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he said he's directed an episode of Suits for all you freaking suits heads out there.
Speaker 3: Who's making Suits the biggest show in the world. It's so confusing. Oh yeah, fifty four fuck. And he did twenty nine of Regular Well it was trial by Jury.
Speaker 2: Was I was with friends at the beach and they started going in on like why they love suits, and they did sell it in a funny way, and they said, in every episode, someone says something and it sparks something in the lawyer. Every time it's like, oh my god, wait did you just say that? And then they run our and like, I guess that's in every episode. And they said that like the rules of times, like SBU is grounded in reality in a lot of ways. Yeah, And I guess Suits is just like science doesn't matter, law doesn't matter. Everything's made up and it's just But I'm having trouble getting into the first episode.
Speaker 3: I should just start on a random and see how I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the funniest thing someone said to me about suits was that in suits, the whole law is.
Speaker 3: Just like a vibe. It's like the law part of it is a vibe. It's like they don't really get that into the law. It's just kind of like around that there's some law, you know.
Speaker 2: Ooh, okay, I'm looking through his episodes, you know, and he did sick the Michael Jackson one, which is a really funny one. Okay, if you haven't listened to our podcast, that one's a bit one of our part.
Speaker 3: That's one of our most popular because the Michael Jackson haters came for uh, I mean the Michael Jackson fans came for us. We're also Michael Jackson fans. Yes.
Speaker 2: Also there's a reality where he is a molester. Like, yeah, I don't understand. You think we all hated Michael Jackson, Like, grow up where we are at.
Speaker 3: We're tweeting us FBI files and all this stuff proving his innocence, and I was like, I can't read this, but I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: If a local employee at your local grocery store had to sleepovers with children, you would have his head, so yeah, bore me the details. But yes, of course we we're not tapping our foot when Michael Jackson comes on, these people like we hate him. It's disappointing when the ones you admire are molesters, but most men are.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, start this episode. Okay, here we go, we are doing authority.
Speaker 1: We open on a cheerful gal at a fast food place called Happy Burger, asking woman if she can take her order, to which the woman replies, what you can take is a mop and bucket to the ladies room. Poor kids, tossing her cookies in there, and you think that's gonna be where we're going, Like, uh oh, someone's in the bathroom having a like a crisis, and then here comes. But it's also been a minute since I've heard the term tossing your cookies, like such a gentle way to refer to the violence of vomiting.
Speaker 3: But this girl is like, thank you for your excellent.
Speaker 1: Feedback, have a happy Burger day, and that is customer service. Then she tells Joel he has to go deal with the bar from the bathroom. Joel is annoyed, and you know I am too, because they actually show a pile of barf on the show, and I did not need that. I understand what vomit looks like. You don't have to show it. So thank you David Platt for getting that shot. And as he's like monologuing to himself over how gross happy Burger is, he hears a scream from behind a door, so it's not even we're not even getting to the person who threw up. We hear a scream behind a door that says employees only, also the name of a new podcast I'm on, please check it out, and a girl yells, please don't make me do it, and Joel's like, Triney, is that you? And he starts trying to get the door open, but the door is locked. So now we cut to a uniformed officer leading Benson and Stabler in giving them the walk and Talk info. The suspect and the victim are barricaded in the manager's office.
Speaker 3: It's reinforced steel. That's never good.
Speaker 1: The only person with keys is the manager, Dwight Lomax, but he's Mia. Triney Martinez is the name of the victim, and the purpse says he'll only talk to detective Milgram, but one PP has no record of a Milgram on the job, so what the fuck is going on? They walk up to the door and announce themselves, and Live goes, yeah, I'm Milgram's partner. He's on his way. The door opens right up, and this is Scott Adsit of thirty rock fame if you're a thirty rock person. He's like a big character on thirty Rock and I love him. And he's like, oh, thank god, you're finally here. I did everything you told me to do. And Treeney is a really young girl. She's tied up, gagged and is wearing only a happy Burger apron and it doesn't look good in there, and we're at the credits, so they get to it pretty quick here, so top EVCT one Stabler walks into interrogation where a cheery Scott adds It, who is playing the manager Dwight Lomax. So that's why he was mia. He was in the steel room and he's like, is Milgrim here yet? I want my pat on the back from Milgram and Stabler's like, he's stuck in traffic, and then he goes, that's okay. He knows everything that happened, and Stabler's like, why don't you tell me what happened?
Speaker 3: And he said he was sitting in this desk.
Speaker 1: Milgram called and said that someone stole a wallet from a customer and that the woman at the precinct was at the precinct filling out a complaint. And he told Dwight to hold Trieney until he got there so that she couldn't hide any evidence. So he called her thieving little butt quote unquote into his office. Now, Triny is talking to Benson, who has a long bob. No highlights, just put us in a place in time. I feel like she's let the highlights grow out at this point. Also, Trieny is played I look this up because I didn't recognize her, but I don't know what made me look her up, played by Monica Raymond. She's also been in other stuff like Chicago Fire in the Dick Wolf universe, but she also has gone on to direct and directed the episode Hell's Kitchen, which we covered about the restaurant tour who was like, you know, assaulting his waiters and staff.
Speaker 3: So that's amazing.
Speaker 1: This girl went from being like kind of a bit part on this episode to directing go Monica Raymond, and she's also directed an episode of The Os of Lawn Order OC, so I don't know which one. Now we're bouncing back between stay Able talking to Dwight and Benson talking to Treeny, and she's describing how Dwight said she had. She told him she had nothing in her pockets but lip gloss, and he was basically telling everything to the phone to the quote unquote cops. He locked the door to search her, says Dwight. He said Milgram said he had evidence that she had money on her, and then he told him to pat her down. He touched her all over. Treeney says, starting to cry. She's very traumatized by what's happened to her. She told him it wasn't right, but he kept doing it. And he's like Milgram said to strip search her, and I was that I was acting as an agent of the police. He's like, I put on gloves. It's like so disturbing. He made her take her clothes off, put his hands on her everywhere.
Speaker 3: This is Treeny's account. She begged him to stop, but he wouldn't.
Speaker 1: And then now we're back to Dwight and he goes I told Milgram she was clean, but he said I must have missed something and just to hold her there till I got there. So Stabler breaks it down and goes, so you strip searched a teenage girl and kept her naked in your office for thirty minutes. And Dwight is like, well, Detective Milgram said she could keep her apron on, and Stabler goes, you're an idiot, which I love the directness of that, and he goes, I resent that, detective, after all I've done for the police department. It's like, so he goes, you sexually abused a girl because a voice on the phone told you to, and he's like, I was just following Milgram's orders. And he goes, there is no Milgram. The whole thing was a scam. And then you see Scott Adsett's character see Dwight realize what he's done, and he's like, oh fuck, Like what have I done? So they next scene they bring him into holding and he's crying. Obviously Q Munch obviously is going to get way into this. He's like, just following orders. That's the preferred defense of every war criminal, from Eikman to Melosovich. So Finn's like, whatever, Dwight got punked by a phone call, and Munch jumps his defense. He's like, he's just a victim of corporate America, and Finn's like here we go, and Munch totally gears up for his ted talk and he's like, these big corporations like McDonald's, which is clearly what Happy Burger is kind of supposed to be, are all about following orders from corporate, the franchise mentality where employees are lemmings, follow the manual. You know, Munch is getting into all of his shit about you know, big brother and the corporations. Stabler pops in to say, well, Dwight's looking at three to six years and Benson is like, what about this.
Speaker 3: Milgram who called him on the phone, And Munch is like.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's dead, and they're like, you know him, and obviously he explains that Milgram is a psychology professor who if you've ever taken like a psych or sociology class in college, you read about this experiment. It's a famous experiment where he instructed volunteers to give electric shocks to screaming victims. It turns out the shocks weren't real the people shocking them were just like friends shocking their friends because they someone told them too. So there's more on this later. We got nothing on the caller. They say he used a prepaid phone card on a payphone, and I have not seen a payphone in so long. What a fun blast from the past. And it was at a public library in Midtown. Maybe there's cameras at the library. Munch goes, no way, the librarians took on big brothers so they couldn't monitor what you and I are reading.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Good job. I know we have a lot of librarian listeners. We thank you for your service. Taru tried to chase down who bought the card, but he couldn't. The guy is either really lucky or damn good. And Munch is like, well, my money's on good. And then he finds a website that's called I Hate Happyburger dot com where ex employees shit on Happy Burger and I wish that that was I think that's just Reddit now, but I would really love to see a website like that, and Munch goes revenge of the corporate wage slaves, and so there's a whole post about someone is behind a hoax where he calls and pretends to be a cop, making the employees that these happy burgers do stuff. This guy has hit fast food chains all over the country and a lot of them are right there in New York.
Speaker 3: So now we're.
Speaker 1: Talking to Ruben Morales aka Joel de la Fuente, friend of the pod, and he has built a hoax database, okay, and the guy has predictable routines. The calls come in weekday mornings, always between ten and eleven thirty am, which is after the breakfast rush, but before lunch, so that the manager's aren't so busy that they'll blow him off.
Speaker 3: So smart timing. The guy uses a fresh prepaid card every time. They can't trace the cards, but he did buy them all at the same value Mart, and they have to be activated by a cashier and that's in the computer, so we know when he bought them. And Morales is a step ahead. He's like, I.
Speaker 1: Already ran the value of Mart security footage through facial recognition, and I found this guy and we zoom in on the tape and it is the legendary Robin Williams, who we have already praised on this podcast. Then they do zoom in and enhance, which we know is not possible, but they do it. And they see that he's got a lanyard and an ID badge on. They can't make out his name, but the company is Aerodax Labs. At the lab they find out that this guy's name is Merrit Rook, which is funny because a rook is the name of a chess piece, and when I looked it up, the verb to rook is to defraud or swindle someone, so maybe a writer was having a fun time giving him a name. The guy at the lab can't believe that Merritt would have done anything illegal. He's an audio engineer in the aerospace division. It's very not merit. He's a nice guy. And then a woman named doctor Cheng comes out and is like, oh, Merrit's out sick today, and he was yesterday too, So Benson and Stabler are like house call, see you later. So now they're knocking on a door of an apartment and Merrett Rook answers and says how can I help you? And they comment, you don't look sick. Since when is it a crime to play hooky? Detective, he replies, So they asked to go inside, and Stabler calls him Detective Milgrum, and he goes, oh, you must have me confused with someone else. And he says he does buy the phone cards at that value, mar, but he gives them to the homeless so that they can call their families because he knows what it's like to be alone. And it's like, I think maybe they'd prefer a sandwich, but the phone cards are nice too. Did you use one of the cards at the Midtown library yesterday? He says, no, I was out of town on a trout fishing trip. Don't tell my boss. He shows them his fishing license and his hotel bill. He's got everything on him. He doesn't have credit cards because they gouge the working man with their interest rates, so he pays cash, I guess for everything. But he hands them a card of a place called Daffodils where he had every meal, and they're like, oh, you just happen to have that candy.
Speaker 2: I call bullshit. You can't get a hotel room without a credit card on file, because how were they going to do ancidentals in two thousand and eight. Oh yeah, because they need they need collateral. The whole point of the credit cards, not even to pay for it. It's so you don't fuck up the room and steal pillows.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but I know that there are like I don't know, maybe because it was in like a tiny little fishing town, like they it was a motel and they let him pay cash. But you're right, it's just like you're not going to get very far in life without a credit card, unfortunately. I mean, I was thinking about that the other day. There's like all these there's tolls now that are like just credit card only, like everything goes to your credit card.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you do if you don't have a credit card.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he says, no, I kept the business card because the waitress had a crush on me and she wrote her number on the back. So now we're on the phone with the waitress and she says, oh, yeah, I remember that cutie and his fishing hat and waiters and he was there on Monday breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't think he came for the blue plate special, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And this is obviously Robin Williams's voice, I'm having so I'm having missus doubtfire flashbacks of when he's like, Layla, get back in your sale, don't make me.
Speaker 1: Get the hose on you like all my family and I used to just do all his voices from mister and Missus Doubtfire.
Speaker 3: We love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really know a lot of the lines from Missus Doutfire.
Speaker 1: It's like Clank Family Classic. I don't know what to say. I mean, we love it so much. And then I think it probably had a moment where it was playing on HBO all the time and that's all we.
Speaker 3: Had access to.
Speaker 1: So so the alibi checks out, I guess because of this lady on the phone. And now they call the hotel and the guy who answers also sounds like Robin Williams, but in this universe I get that he is not a beloved comedian and voice actor, and he puts them on hold and even has a recorded like your call is important to us like message.
Speaker 3: So it all seems very legit.
Speaker 1: As if this isn't wild enough, Craigan strolls up and blows the whole thing wide open.
Speaker 3: He goes he was fishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, my friend just tried to go trout fishing and he was denied a license because the EPA put a ban on angling after they found chemical runoff in the rivers.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 1: This made me laugh so hard. I was like, what, So that's how they're busting this guy. He did all these things to cover his tracks, but he didn't check that. You can't even fucking fish in this area. That's funny. The hotel guy comes back and goes, yep, he was here Sunday and Monday nights. Munch asks about the trout and he goes, oh, yeah, they're biting up a storm. So we were figuring out that this is more hoaxy situation than an alibi. So now we've got Benson and Stable outside of Merritt's place and Elliott is whispering into a flip phone and they start calling one of the numbers, and the phone starts ringing inside the apartment and they hear Robin Williams answer the phone being like, you know, faraway motel or whatever, like I forgot what the name of it is, and they bust in. This guy's got a dozen flip phones on chargers. He's running a full scale like town out of multiple cell phones. He says, please as we fade to black, and it's like it is funny because it's serious and he's doing a good job acting. But I do still find him funny when he's like please hold like getting busted by the cops, like I don't know. It's the same with Martin Short. It's like, even though he was a psycho murderer, rapist, he was still making me laugh. So now top of AC two, we're an interrogation and he's admitting to lying about the fishing trip. He's like, listen, doctor Chang gave me a heads up that you guys had been at my work looking for me. I didn't want her to know the truth, which is that I was with a sex worker.
Speaker 3: I don't even know her name. My wife died three years ago.
Speaker 1: I missed her terribly, and when the pain gets really bad, I hit the streets and Stabler goes, you screw whores in your dead wife's bed, and it's like.
Speaker 3: He's the fuck up Stabler like.
Speaker 1: Jesus and Merritt's like, Merrit's like, but we don't have sex.
Speaker 3: We just sleep.
Speaker 1: It's just comforting having a warm, soft body next to me. I close my eyes and it feels like Juliette is back. That's his wife. That's very sad. Okay, so you made fake receipts, fake business car and put on voices just so your coworker wouldn't find out about your sleepover thing. Stablers not buying it that you get your rocks off, getting guys to molest young girls. A happy Burger and he's like, no way, I'm a locovore. He only buy which means he only buys organic, seasonal foods grown by local farmers.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have a credit card, and he that seems like a hard way to live in New York City. I feel like there's other places you would be happier. But he goes off about chain restaurants and how they suck so bad processed food, big mistake.
Speaker 2: And why would you give him this? Why would you give He's such a smart dude, all those little phones, and then you start this.
Speaker 1: You just can't help yourself. You just have to rail against how you get out of it.
Speaker 2: And just like jury duty, you know, it's like a fact I hate fast. Yeah I got a jury, not how you cover a crime. But yeah, go on, go on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's talking about the advertising is aim to toddlers, blah blah blah. And then on the other side of the on my glass, Craigan's talking a Novack and she's like, I mean, I could hold him on obstruction for lying, but we got to link him to the Happy Burger somehow. And they're like, what about a voice ID with the manager And she goes, he fooled Munch.
Speaker 3: With his cast of characters.
Speaker 1: You think he's gonna like sound the same way as he did when he was impersonating Detective Milgram. And she goes, I need proof he made those calls. And Finn walks in and goes, then I must be your fairy godmother. Love it, and he goes. They got back up surveillance footage of a guy going into the library right before the call.
Speaker 3: Morales cleaned it up and it's Merrit Rook.
Speaker 1: You can see it's like basically him wearing a hat, but it's like it's his face. It's so funny because Jared just got we just got nine months ago, we got a letter in the mail that was like, you ow five hundred dollars. We were like, what the fuck is this? Even for I went online, we couldn't even see what it was for. We didn't know if it was me or Jared that did it. It was like a ticket from California DMB. So we show up at court, we requested a court date, and they hand us a photo and it's black and white like fully xerox thousand times and it's so Jared like you can like, you cannot deny that it's him, Like people will go into those court things and be like, that's not me.
Speaker 3: You can't be positive that's me. It's so Jared like it's he goes, God, I wish that wasn't like my exact fucking face, like it's him running a light to my In our defense, it was the day we were taking Rosie to urgent care because she busted her head open. Anyway back to this.
Speaker 2: That seems like a way to get out of it. That's not a good excuse.
Speaker 1: Well, we went to the wrong courthouse because they since switched the courthouse since they sent us the note, and we were supposed to be in Santa Monica.
Speaker 3: We were Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: So they go, you can just call in, and because we were calling in, the woman goes, I can't really take that excuse because you're not here. I can't see you, and I can, and it's like, thank God, because she would have been like, sir, that's you like. So we pleaded it down and had to pay less money, but still not a great amount of money for him running a light anyway.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, isn't it a good enough reason if you're going to the urgent care?
Speaker 1: I know, but we didn't try it because he had already tried to deny it.
Speaker 3: He was not letting me talk on the phone. Trust me. I would have gone to a different I would have gone a different route. I said that I go tell them. It was like, we were trying to get our daughter urgent here, we have medical records that prove it, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And he was like, it's not me. I was like, okay, you know one of us is into us for you and the others not.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: At his arraignment, Merritt's got one count of conspiracy to commits sexual abuse in the first degree, and it's Judge Petrowsky. She wants to know where's your lawyer, And like so many freaks before him, this guy wants to represent himself and she goes, you know the old adage, and he goes. A man that represents himself has a fool for a client. Of course he knows it, but he claims he doesn't make enough money to afford a private attorney. He makes too much money for a public defender. And I'm like, I don't think that's how it works. Anybody can get a public defender. And Petrovski's quite.
Speaker 2: Good, like he just yeah, and now he's like, listen, I've seen I've seen better, and I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't go with one of these fools totally.
Speaker 1: So Petrowski's like, we can bind you a lawyer, and he's like some court appointed hack a mouthpiece. So we'll sleep through a il a client who won't make him rich because he won't get the book rights. It's like, okay, where are we going here? Whatever, They let him rep himself. Novak asks for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars bail, and he goes, no problem. Petrowski's like, you're supposed to argue here, and he's like, no, that sounds fair, and she's like, I thought you were broke, and he's like, I can put my apartment up for that.
Speaker 3: It's it's worth way more than that.
Speaker 1: And he goes up to Novak and tells her he's really looking forward to working with her, and she's fuming, and but she goes, yeah, should be fun. And then he excuses himself to go post his bail and you have to post ten percent, which is twenty five k.
Speaker 3: Do you get that back? Let us know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you get that back, even if you're innocent. But now we're at trial. Merritt approaches Stabler on the stand and says, any do you have any doubts that I'm guilty? And Stabler goes nope. And he's like, well, what qualifies you to make that decision? And he's like, well, I've been a detective for sixteen years. Merrett goes, have you ever heard of a situation like this before? Like someone fondling a young girl because a voice on the phone told him to. And Stabler says, nothing surprises me when it comes to the depraved mind, Like, you don't know what I've seen I've been on this job. Merritt goes, isn't it more probable that Dwight the manager had the hots for Triny and made this whole thing up to justify acting out a sexual fantasy. Stabler's like, we have proof of the phone call that you made with one of your cards, and he says, but I give those to the homeless, and they love the library, like famously homeless people love the library. So we have you on video entering the library to make the call, Sabler says, and he goes, are you sure? And that then we cut to Morales. Now Morales is on the stand, and by the way, Morales is the lieutenant. Now, congratulations king. How did you enhance the photo, Merritt asks him, and he goes, oh, I ran it through this software to remove shadow, etc. Essentially it sounds like the filters we now have on Instagram, Like you can do shadows, you can do highlights, you can brighten it up. You can see a lot more like on a dark photo now even on just the crap we have on our phones. And he goes, yeah, so I did this and that, and he goes, so you manipulated the image and he's like, yes, scientifically, and then he whips out a huge blow up of the original photo and you cannot see the person's face at all, and he goes, that could be me or dur number four, and Duror number four goes, it's not me and Merritt goes me either, and it's like he's so charming, Like I could see myself falling for this if I was a juror. And Morales explains how the computer cleans up the image, but it kind of looks like bad the way he's explaining it, that the computer is like guessing at how to clean it up, and that's like, not, I don't think that's really what's happening. But he starts playing. So he starts, you know, going on with this line of questioning and being like, well, if the computer's guessing, then it really could be anyone. It could be you, it could be you, it could be you whatever, and so everyone's Novak looks pissed, like this guy's doing well. Now Novak's in her office with Huang and he's like, babe, I brought you some coffee. I heard you got your ass handed to you in court today. Let's dish. And Novak's like, I'm like shocked at how good of a lawyer this guy is. And she understands why people rape and kill, but she cannot understand why this guy is playing these games. And here comes Hwog with the profile he's manipulative. He gets off on making people do things they don't want to do. Novak talks about this kid she knew in grade school who tricked kids into eating rabbit shit, saying they were raisins, and that she would never do that because the kid was a sadist. And the last she heard about that guy, he was selling used cars in Toledo and still scamming. So Twang goes, well, why don't you dig into merret Rook's childhood, maybe you'll find something.
Speaker 3: Boom boom boom Okay.
Speaker 1: Back in court, Merrit is on the stand and he's essentially cross examining himself.
Speaker 3: He's just like giving a statement.
Speaker 1: He's in the witness box, but he's just talking freely, and he's like, I'm a scientist. I work to improve people's lives. I've never had trouble with the law, and I hate what happened to that girl. I'm outrage and I want the perp to be brought to justice, but it wasn't me. Then he rests his case because yeah, he's he's a lawyer, I guess. And so now it's Novak's turn, and she's like, so, you've never been in trouble with the law and He's like nope, and she goes, you're under oath. Have you ever been arrested and he says no, and then she pulls out an article from the Hartford Tribune of thirteen year old Merritt Rook being arrested for malicious mischief, trespassing, burglary, and arson. He burned down a house and he tells the judge, I was a miner that was expunge for my record. And Novak's like, you can't expunge a newspaper record, baby, and it's now it's Judge Lois Preston and she says she'll allow it. Casey's like, so you lied. He says, I can explain and tells them the story about how the house was in his neighborhood. It was abandoned and kids used to drink and do drugs there, and they also raped a little eleven year old girl there. So he broke in and set their clubhouse on fire so that they couldn't continue to hurt people. And they're like, you didn't go to the police, and he goes, I did go to the police, but they didn't believe me because the son of the police chief was the ring leader. That's very possible in a small town, you know. And he's in prison right now for raping three women. So I had to stop these guys. And uh oh, casey, this has backfired because now I feel like the jury is thinks this man is a full hero. So now it's closing statements. He's addressing the jury saying Novak has no evidence. She has a doctored photograph and a phone card that I bought to give away as an act of charity. And he doesn't blame Benson is stable for arresting him or Novak putting him on trial. They're just following orders, like sheep. We're all in danger of being sheep. Never questioning authority. If you are drinking when they say the name of this title of the episode, this episode will get you wasted.
Speaker 3: They do say.
Speaker 1: Authority many times. He tells them to think for themselves, don't be a sheep. Novak's like, what a pretty little speech. And he's really good at convincing people to do things. But our evidence proves he did this. He's impersonating an innocent man. Don't be fooled. You guys are smart. Well, the jury comes back and they are like, no, we don't want to be sheep, so he's not guilty. Merrett screams out thank you, and then he tries to hug Casey like it's the end of senior year, and Stabler's like back off, and He's like it's been fun, and then he leaves.
Speaker 3: Stabler.
Speaker 1: Benson and Novak look very bummed out that this guy has gotten away with it. So now we're at the precinct and the gang is watching Meryrett Rook on Scarborough Country, which is Joe Who Scarborough's like MSNBC show, and Stabler comes in late and he was up all night with the baby and he's like, Colic is a bitch. I'm like, that's the first and only night you've ever stayed up with the baby all night.
Speaker 3: But okay.
Speaker 1: Merrett Rook is on a morning Joe with a sheep that he has named Elliott.
Speaker 3: What an own? I love this.
Speaker 1: He says he thinks we have to start questioning authority and he has merch it's a little pin with like a no smoking sign going through a sheep, and Elliot's like turn it off. Benson says, let's go crash his party. So they go to this rally where he's you know they're holding a no sheep rally. I guess, and there's a guy on a megaphone, and before I even look up who it is, I know who it is. It's Moroka because I can remember him from the Daily Show. He has a very recognizable voice, and he's like, don't be sheep whatever. And suddenly everybody takes out pillows and they start a huge pillow fight. The feathers are everywhere. My allergies started flaring up just watching it. I had to fast forward. Munch is fully engaged in the pillow fight and loves it. This is his jam, to just pillow fight with a bunch of other centers in the precinct. Now Munch is fully defending Merit. He's on the Merit train. He's like, you've got him all wrong. He made the calls, but it was never about sex. It was about the danger of obedience. If you don't question authority, you lose your humanity. He doesn't condone what he did, but he gets where he's coming from. He spoke to Merit and he just wants people to wake up. And they're like with pillow fights, and he's like, well, we stopped Vietnam with sit.
Speaker 3: Ins and they're like, well, what war is Merrit fighting? Here? The battle against fast food?
Speaker 1: And he goes, well you should hear his tirade against managed care lives like, so he has a problem with his HMO, who doesn't. Munch explains this is the big reveal that Merrit's wife died in childbirth and the baby died too, And they're like, oh my god, was it medical malpractice? Why didn't he sue? And there's like, there's no lawsuit because they looked it up when they were taking him to court.
Speaker 3: He's never filed a suit.
Speaker 1: So this guy's not going to let the doctor who killed his whole family get off the hook. So now we cut to Saint Mark's Hospital where Frenchy from Greece Akaddy Khn, who has been on three other episodes of the show, says, oh, doctor Slifkin, he's dead. He was in a freaky car accident a couple years ago. He t boned a semi and it decapitated him. She thinks he was drunk, but the official word was break failure. She remembers Juliette Rook so sad eighteen hours of heavy labor. The husband insisted on a c section, but the doctor thought he knew better than a first time dad. Juliette had a placental abruption. Doctor Slifkin missed it, so mister Rooke lost it understandably and said he'd kill the doctor, and security had to escort him out. So they go to Melinda's house and she's reviewed the autopsy and says that his blood alcohol was point four, which is tipsy but not over the limit, and also his liver was serotic, so he was an alcoholic, so one to two drinks and like a point oh four would.
Speaker 3: Not have done much to someone like that.
Speaker 1: U and o'haleran is there too, and he goes and there's no sign of tampering with the car. The investigation was pretty thorough. He sped through an intersection and thought he could beat the truck. But then why would they say was break failure? You can tell breaks work or not, So that's a fuck up to me. But Melinda says she sees a lot of suspicious mvas.
Speaker 3: I looked it up. I think it's multiple vehicle accidents or something, and she checked and the insurance company never paid out for this, so what's up? So the insurance company said it was suicide because he left a note for his wife saying he was taking his own life to spare her. Detective Milgrum won't stop calling me, says the note, he says, I'm going to prison for murder. I never meant to harm that woman and her baby. God forgive me.
Speaker 1: So Merritt drove this doctor to suicide, is what they're positing. They just need to link the calls to Merit and they've got him, and O'Halloran says, well, he won't be at home. There's another event for his social revolution happening at ten pm at Grand Central station. So they hurry down to Grand Central, which I think Grand Central is one of the most beautiful buildings. I love when they shoot there. I just love to see it. They hurry down there, everything looks normal. They start to look around and then they see Moroka again with his megaphone and he's chanting no sheep, no sheep, and then he blows a whistle and like half the people on the concourse freeze and they're totally frozen, like people are frozen mid yogurt. They're frozen midstride, like everybody's frozen. This is some kind of flash mob thing to prove that people are sheep.
Speaker 3: I don't know Merritt is there. They spot him.
Speaker 1: He's also frozen, and Benson's like, you're under arrest for the murder of doctor Francis Slifkin, and you're not walking away this time. He goes, I was a sheep and I let him slaughter my wife, and Benson says, that doesn't give you the right to destroy his life. Benson grabs his arm and suddenly we see Stabler jogging through the crowd.
Speaker 3: And he loses them.
Speaker 1: It's a weird transition because you just see what Live walk a right way with a suspect, which we've seen her do a thousand times, but now suddenly Stabler thinks something's weird because he can't find them. Next thing we see is Esu busting into Merritt Rook's apartment yelling police search warrant, but they're not there.
Speaker 3: Where did he take her?
Speaker 1: So we're just deducing that Merrittrook has kidnapped Lived somehow.
Speaker 3: Suddenly Lake there.
Speaker 1: They let him be in two scenes of this episode, and he's got photos of them from Grand Central, and Live is walking alongside Merrit, not resisting. In the next picture she's dumping her cell phone and her gun in a garbage and now Finn's got those things and Craigan says, have Terru look at it in case anything's on Olivia's phone. Elliott says he must have had a gun on her and she didn't want to risk shooting civilians.
Speaker 3: And Merritt.
Speaker 1: Does Merritt have a second home? Does he have friends or family close with anyone?
Speaker 3: At work?
Speaker 1: And in the apartment they see a picture of him with doctor Cheng, who we met earlier, and he was worried she would find out about him and the sex worker, but why would she care? So maybe there's something more between them. Now we cut the stabler talking to doctor Cheg. She admits that she went out at a date with Merritt years ago. Halfway through their date at a jazz club, a certain song came on and Merritt started sobbing. He didn't say why, he just ran out and left her there. And then the pianist that they were there to see said, oh, I forgot that I recorded that song with Merritt's wife. She was a singer. They met when he produced one of her albums, and they're like, understandably how did he go from music to aerospace? And I guess he quit music after his wife died. And audio engineering is the same wherever you do it. So she tells them that his old studio where he used to produce music was at Toned Down Records in Brooklyn. So Elliott heads there by himself. Of course, why would you bring back up? It's basically abandoned. He sees Merritt in a chair facing away. When he enters the room, Merritt spins around like a cartoon villain, and he goes, Oh, didn't think you'd make it here so quick, And he says I'm unarmed, and Elliot's like, get your hands up in the air. And he's like, yes, sir, where's my partner? And he goes when you like to know? And he's like, no more games, and he goes, or what you'll shoot me then you'll never find her. So Stabler's like, you got me there, lowers his gun. He turns on the light in the booth. He's basically in like a music recording room where you see people. You know, there's somebody in the sound booth and somebody at the boards and lives in the sound booth. She's strapped to a chair behind one way glass. She can't see or hear anything that's going on behind the door because like stablers obviously like live and she can't hear anything. He says the door is wired with an explosive and if he opens it, they'll all blow up. And he's holding the detonator in his hand, and he wants to do a little experiment. How far will you go to save your partner? He tells Olivia over a mic that Elliott is there, and liv goes, just do what he says, el and Elliott screams her name, and Merritt's like, look, I'm in charge. Now, sit your huge ass down and listen to me. And he's like not being mister Charming anymore. He explains that Olivia is sitting in a chair that's wired for electricity two hundred and fifty volts, controlled by a little buzzer. Old Sparky the famous electric Chair gives out ten times that so this electric shock won't kill her, but it will hurt, and so Elliott goes, oh the Milgrim experiment, only this time the shock's for real. He turns off the lights on Olivia and then presses the button, and we hear Olivia screaming in pain, and he tells sable to press the button, but he won't do it, and so then he presses it again.
Speaker 3: We hear another Olivia scream. He says that was two seconds.
Speaker 1: Keep refusing and I'll up it to four seconds and then I'll double the voltage. And he's like, why are you doing this? And he goes to teach you a little lesson about power and authority.
Speaker 3: Drink again.
Speaker 1: You cops with your guns and your badges, think you can do anything. You own the streets, and Elliott goes, I've never abused my authority. Drink again, but also drink another time for Elliot saying he's never abused his authority, which is hilarious. Marrett's like, uh, you all do. And he's not wrong. I mean, every single cop abuses their authority in some way, even if you're like fixing a parking ticket for someone. But Elliott realizes that this is about the cops in his town who didn't believe him about the rape of the little girl and he was too scared to stand up to them. What about Slifkin? You scared of him too. This isn't about obedience or sheep. You just want me to suffer like you have, and he goes, you have no idea how I've suffered, and he's really good. Elliott goes, I have no idea what you've been through to lose your family. He goes, I didn't lose them. They were taken from me. And he goes, I didn't challenge the doctor's authority. Again, drink. He goes, I caved in. I sat there and I held my wife's hand and I watched her bleed to death. And he's getting upset. He's crying. It's really sad. He goes, I put my faith in a little guy in a white coat, and he killed my wife and son. Push the button, he screams to Elliott, and then he pushes it, and we hear live scream again, and he yells again, and he keeps telling Elliot's push the button. And Elliott goes, no, too many people have suffered already, and he goes, then, you, Elliott.
Speaker 3: Are a human being. Congratulations. You're not a sheep like I was. You're a man. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Then he flips the light on and says, don't worry about your partner, and he hits the button again and we hear the scream, but Live is fine and just looking around confused because he says the screams were pre recorded. He brought Live into a sound booth and said, scream your heart out, baby.
Speaker 3: She did.
Speaker 1: And this thing he's holding in his hand is just a garage door opener. Referring to the detonator. He says the door's not wired either. So Elliot cuffs him and he goes to release Olivia. It was all fake. He faked it. Lives like, what the hell? They're taking him out of the studio to bring him in, and he goes, can I tie my shoe? And these guys should know that they should tie the purp shoes for them.
Speaker 3: They don't, don't fall for this shit.
Speaker 1: He bends down to tie his shoe and he has a detonator in his side. He blows the whole studio up. Benson and Stabler hit the ground somehow, Merritt's Fine takes off running. He goes through some hedges. He's cuffed the whole time, by the way. He goes through some hedges onto an abandoned playground. They lose him. They lose him like they're pretty fast at running. It's so crazy. There's a huge pond, but there's no sign of him. So a liv goes, if he went into that watercuffed, he's dead, but it's like it takes longer than thirty seconds to drown, like and there's not even a ripple in the water.
Speaker 3: So they just like walk away and call it a day.
Speaker 1: They're like, it's almost like they wanted him to get away, like they feel like he didn't really maybe do anything that bad.
Speaker 3: I don't know. And that's the end of the episode. That's dick Wolf.
Speaker 1: And I was just shocked at how this ended, like they just let him run away.
Speaker 2: The thing is, I want him to get away too, but I think they think he did something wrong, and so do I.
Speaker 3: But I still am like.
Speaker 2: Get out of here, Yeah, get out of here, mister rook.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, But.
Speaker 2: Well, stay tuned, and this is so close to a real life situation, so buckle up, guys, don't be sheep.
Speaker 3: But by are things that we're going to advertise to.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this case is David Richard Stewart and this guy he's like thirty eight years old, married five kids, and this is the guy who's making all these calls. Right, So there were a series of fraudulent folle calls made to a number of restaurants and small businesses. And the calls began in nineteen ninety four and lasted for ten years. But we didn't really piece anything together till two thousand and four and then worked backwards, and so he really was getting away with this from coast to coast for a decade. He would call claim to be a police officer and then would convince employees to operate strip searches and perform humiliating acts. So there were seventy phone calls reported across thirty states. And the big case that kind of blew this all open, it's the McDonald's case. On April ninth, two thousand and four, an eighteen year old in Mount Washington, Kentucky, who was an employee of the McDonald's, Louise, Am I saying it.
Speaker 3: Right, Louise.
Speaker 2: It is Louise Yay named Louise Ogborn, and she was working the evening shift when the assistant manager, Donna Summers, and.
Speaker 3: Then sad to read a few times. I had to read it a few times. I was confused.
Speaker 2: So good, but so so The assistant manager Donna Summers called her into her office and she's like, hey, I'm on the phone with the police officer and he said that you match a description actually of someone who stole a purse from a customer. And Summers gave an option. She goes, listen, Ogborn, you submit to a search here, or you get escorted to a police station. Then she was directed on the phone to demand Ogborn to remove all of her clothing and then okay. So then so she's going through it and it takes a really long time, and this girl gets fully naked. She's sitting with an apron. It's very much from this Oh my god. And so basically this is all on camera. So there's a camera in the office, so this whole attack, everything is fully on camera. The detective. So there's a there's a couple documentaries about this, and I watched the one on Netflix and like the detective watching the video started tearing up.
Speaker 3: He was like crying. I mean it.
Speaker 2: Really like fucked people up. The video is pretty fucked up. So you know, she's naked whatever, she's holding her all these tests, but then she has to get back to work, right, She's like, I got to get back to the road. So the police officer on the phone is like, well, do you have any men that you trust?
Speaker 3: Like can you call a man that you trust?
Speaker 2: And so she brought She's like, I have a fiance, you know, Walter Nicks, so.
Speaker 3: Wild thing.
Speaker 2: The police are like, bring him over to monitor her, and this woman calls the fiance. She gets back to work and then the guy takes over he's and then it gets fucked. So he makes her do jumping jack snaked jogging in place, stand on a chair, and it kept going.
Speaker 3: This is a three hour ordeal.
Speaker 2: She was kept trapped in this McDonald's little office for three hours. And it is like, at what point would it not hit you like this is weird. Yeah, there's no way the cops would want me to have a young teen naked do jumping jacks, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: And at one.
Speaker 2: Point he he's spanking her naked ass like bent over his knee, and then he forced her to perform oral sexual act.
Speaker 3: The cop told him to do that or he decided to take that on for himself. Now the call, it was like the truly the directions, this is horrific. As for you watered it down like as you watered it down.
Speaker 1: It was only thirty minutes, and it was like and it didn't it was like it was just it was like more groping.
Speaker 3: This is horrible. He just wanted to test how far he could go.
Speaker 2: And what people say is that he never raised his voice, never aggressive, just cool, calm, collective, authoritative And that's that. Yes, I said authoritative. You can drink if you want.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's not perfect. But and she was, you know, yeah, crying the whole time he hit and beat her. I mean it was awful, and all on camera. So the authorities are watching the tapes going what the fuck is going on? There is no sound, you know, they're just like watching this. The receivers of the call would eventually finally catch on and then they're the ones who reported the call, so like that, so suddenly it like hit them and like, wait, I think it's a hoax, you know, but always too fucking late, too fucking late. And then once it hit Walter what he'd done, he starts running, but they arrest him and then the detective on the scene is named Buddy Stump, which that's pretty cool. And the detective you know, finally sits down to take the victim statement, and he realizes he knows her.
Speaker 3: It's his neighbor. Oh and he's known her dad since they were kids.
Speaker 2: So he's he got activated. He's like, I'm gonna fucking get this motherfucker. I don't care if it's the last thing I do. So, you know, he starts doing red rope on a map. There's a lot of red rope safety pins, not safety pushpins. You know, he starts grouping this and finding more and more, and he realized again like a decade of calls, and they're all coming out of well he didn't find it right away, so they're all coming out of Panama City, baby, but at first we don't know. So basically, like a supermarket payphone with an AT and T calling card is what is fueling these calls. And you know, he found tons of them across everywhere and they're like bad. So one in Georgia, the caller convinced the janitor to perform a cavity search and a nineteen year old cashier and that was quoted to ABC News by the Sun and then Bert like a Burger King's trip search for seventeen year old employee and Fargo Taco Bell in Phoenix and on and on, and it's all young teens and he would call in with like a vague like or it would be payphones outside of the place so he would see the people, but he would just be like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a suspect.
Speaker 2: It's a young girl, brunette, like pretty vague, and there's always someone that kind of fitted.
Speaker 3: But it was always teen girls. Yeah, that's what I was going to ask.
Speaker 1: I was like, if it's across thirty states, does this guy go and so he can find the victims or does he.
Speaker 3: Just like like you said, he just plays it wow vague.
Speaker 2: It's really hard and the evidence is there's no it's really a tough case because it's clearly hit.
Speaker 3: So this is tough.
Speaker 2: But basically it is a big monster case and it's all on this one small town officer and it's like, why is anyone not helping him, the FBI or other cities or organization, Like, no one had his back. He's just like this batman, this hillbilly batman who has to take down this this this guy who they can't trap. And so then for Wendy's in Massachusetts get hit. And there was another cop in Massachusetts, and he's so massive, he's very boss, and he's he gets hopped, he gets hopped up, he gets activated. And what's cool is like part of the evidence is someone Star sixty nine, which is kind of thrilling, and like that gave.
Speaker 3: Him an my god, star six nine. I know, but it's it is, it's pretty, it's it's wild. Okay.
Speaker 2: So then they figure out that it's prepaid calling cards like Robin Williams, and so it means that means it's an out of state person. And because long distance phone calls are expensive and these are really long calls, so they're like, this is out of state people prepaid calling cards. But also the calling cards can't be tracked to an OG phone number. But the Massachusetts man wouldn't stop pushing, and he's like, you know, I'm gonna keep calling.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna keep calling.
Speaker 2: And finally this woman on the other line helps him get some information, calls him back and says, listen, post nine to eleven, we can actually give you the OG numbers associated.
Speaker 3: But we just can't have the public knowing this information.
Speaker 2: So so they get the info and they realize these calls for a decade are all coming out of Panama City, Panama City, Florida.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like it sounds like nothing good happens in Panama I know, right, like.
Speaker 1: This, I've never heard like amazing, amazing hero thing happened in Panama City, Florida.
Speaker 3: To me, it's just like neon and date rape, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, if you're from Panama City, please message us and let it know what's good.
Speaker 3: I let us know.
Speaker 2: Maybe there is a manatee, you know, a sweet little ye. So yeah, supermarket payphones with AT and T calling cards. And then when they reach Panama City, they're like, yeah, we've actually heard of him, thank you. So they pump it into overdrive and try to catch this motherfucker. And so they're like, yeah, we fucking know who this guy is. And it's an almost identicalm o to like everywhere. Even the name of like the fake cop, it's Officer Scott always. And this obviously became huge news and it was a giant case because this is ludicrous, like who has ever heard of like it is a wild So there's so but they they still haven't found him. So the news hits that this is existing and then they have footage from Walmart, and they finally see this motherfucker walking in and he's wearing a pant that like only cops have, so it's like braided on the side. And obviously the cop realized the pant and was like, fuck that pant is this motherfucker's a cop. So they finally, like after a long chase, finally get him on the Walmart camera. They go to police departments and they're like, we don't know this motherfucker. That's not a cop pant. That's a correction officer pant. And so then they start hitting up all the prisons in Florida and he's yeah, and he's a prison guard for the Corrections Corporation of America.
Speaker 3: And that is so fucked up.
Speaker 1: You're already in a position where you tell people what to do all the time, where you're like in control of people, but it's not enough for you. You have to like call and make sure people get assaulted.
Speaker 3: That is beyond fucked Oh wow, I haven't seen you like this.
Speaker 1: I just feel like if he was a guy, if he was a truck driver, I'd be like, Okay, you're like a board psycho.
Speaker 3: But that is like crazy. You already are a person, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, Like, yeah, you're already in control of people and probably abusing your authority there as well. And now, oh my god, okay, go on. Well, the thing is he's a cop lover.
Speaker 2: He wanted to be a cop and he obviously failed, Like he went to the police academy and it did not work out for him. In his trailer they found guns, police paraphernalia, training manuals. He volunteered as a deputy, like he loved police. He was obsessed with police shit, never good, never good, you know, like your daughter Rosie Paw patrol.
Speaker 3: This is what happens. Yeah, it's waning, it's waning. Trust me.
Speaker 1: She's excited for the new movie it's coming out soon. But after that I think she's really she barely asks for it anymore. But the new movie obviously caught her eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would see it.
Speaker 2: So David Richard Stewart gets arrested June thirtieth, two thousand and four, and he's playing cooy.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then finally when the Boston cops like the calls, he starts to sweat, he shakes a little, and what the cop says that he said was he asks, was anybody hurt?
Speaker 3: Duh?
Speaker 2: You fucking listened in? And then he said, thank god it's over. But then he pleads the fifth. He's not like a full assay. He's obviously like smart, you know, and he not smart enough to be a so pretty dumb but smart for dumb, I don't know. So he was charged with impersonating a police officer and solicitation of sodomy. And then October thirty first, two thousand and six. It reads like a title card on SVU. It is Halloween. There are no spider webs anywhere, and it's a sad day because he is acquitted of all charges. What he's acquitted of all charges from the case. The jury only deliberate an hour and forty minutes. He was facing fifteen years, which I think sounds fair. But the jury said there was a lack of evidence that he had placed the calls. The jurors got a lot of circumstantial evidence. There was a circumstantial case, but it just wasn't enough. There were no witnesses to identify him being on the payphones. There was no voice recordings. There was just like fuzzy photos of a man buying calling cards, and the calling cards were found in his home that were attached to other incidents in different states. So I wonder if, like they weren't able to tie the other calls or what like if a calling card that was used to call the other stores were found in your house.
Speaker 3: I don't know how that's not enough evidence. Yeah, I also don't know how to celebate it. Thank god, it's over. Not like a type of confession, right, Yeah, Like he hired an amazing defense attorney. I can tell you that much this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hired an amazing attorney.
Speaker 3: But it's confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that little confession having the calling card in the home.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But but since all this, the phone calls have stopped.
Speaker 3: No one.
Speaker 2: That's never happened ever again, like nothing has ever been reported, so like nothing, you know, maybe something secret, but like nothing has happened since he got caught. And basically, you know, the hot shot defense attorney is just like, you can't sexually assault someone over the phone in regards to the statue, So you just can't so and that you know, that's the defensive Jurney's like, where when I got the case, I just knew it wasn't him, because you can't sexually assault someone over the phone. In regards to the statue, I did say it again, nix then, but NIX. So this is the fiance. He pled guilty to sexual abuse and other crimes on February second, two thousand and six, and he's serving a five year prison sentence. Summers entered an alfred plea later that month to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful imprisonmentitment and was placed on probation. And I watched footage of her. You know, she's crying in court. She obviously feels pretty sickened by what she has done.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how he convinced this guy to get oral sex or to assault her basically, like in that way, I don't understand like what they're like, you like the reason for strip searching her. She might have the wallet, she might have put it up her butt whatever, But like why would you be like, Okay, now get her to suck your dick? Like that doesn't make any sense to me. Oh horrible, Okay.
Speaker 3: Go on.
Speaker 2: And what's also wild, but not because we've done this podcast for a while, is that like this was happening everywhere, and nobody cared enough to do anything about it. Basically, like teenage girls from coast to coast were fucking assaulted at work, traumatized for life. In the doc, you talk to these women and they're never the same, you know, like their lives are forever changed. They were fucking assaulted as teens. And then that was that. No one looked for the call, no one figured it out. Some people got in trying. I mean there's over seventy cases. I obviously can't like go through all of them, but like no one cared enough. Like I just don't understand where the FBI wasn't involved, were any sort of national organization like this just seems so.
Speaker 3: Wild.
Speaker 2: And the fact that like I didn't even know these docs came out, I just don't understand it. So in good news and this is reported by ABC the October two thousand and seven said that a jury and Bullet County, Kentucky, awarded Luis Ogborn five million dollars in punitive damages and one point one million in compensatory compense.
Speaker 3: I don't know damages and expenses. Did she get that then? McDonald? Do you think no?
Speaker 2: Because so that's another thing. Like the McDonald obviously were it's hard to be liable for it, and I guess, I guess in the manuals they claim. All I saw was that McDonald's claims that in the manuals there are written things against scams and not to be scammed.
Speaker 3: But I just how do you prep for this.
Speaker 2: This has never happened in the issue of anything, so like I don't believe it. But McDonald's can't be held liable at the end of the day, so I don't know if it But I don't Summers is are they rich?
Speaker 3: No, so maybe it was McDonald's. It wasn't said who gave the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but people try to sue the she was asking for two hundred mil. But like it would be per place, it's really difficult. I guess with the courts it was difficult. So but there was one case. It was a Hardy's employee named Alan, and he did the strip search of a young employee and then it hit him while what was happening, and so he left, walked out when he realized it was a hoax. And like also one of the cases there was just like a bystander who's like what the fuck's going on. The energy here is wrong, and the employees are like, something's happening in the office, and he, like fucking like a regular Samaritan, busted into the office and saved one of the girls. Got on the phone and was like, you're not like got involved, and so like there's just there's probably.
Speaker 3: So many fucking stories.
Speaker 2: The other dog too, But so this one guy Alan, it hit him what he had done. He went home and then he went back the next day. The cops were there waiting for him, and he was charged with kidnapping and rape Jesus and so.
Speaker 3: Like his life fully changed.
Speaker 2: He was found not guilty, and it's like, I get it, he was listening in order, but he did do it.
Speaker 3: But the.
Speaker 2: Big piece of evidence was the girl kept being like cover the camera, cover the camera, and he goes, absolutely not, we are not covering the camera. And so his defense attorney was like, you know, criminals don't ask to be on camera, right, but you know, and he's crying and he's sorry. But it's also like I don't have any friends anymore and people stopped wanting to be around me, and I lost my family and it's like, well, yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, that is what the Hardy's guy or Richard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay, heart is Richard Stewart's never said anything.
Speaker 3: He's been laying low. He's just like alive. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought maybe one of these docs would have gotten like to talk to him or something.
Speaker 2: But so, yeah, he was sad and sorry. But it's also terrible what this allan guy did. And even after all that, like they didn't go for the call person. No justice for so many of these victims. And if you want to know more information Netflix, it's called don't pick up the phone. And then Peacock it's pervert hunting the strip search callar.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna watch that one next. And I remember this story in the news.
Speaker 1: I remember it and like hearing, Oh, it's like it was like a prank to strip search somebody. I don't think I realized how far the crime went. I don't think I really I thought it was like a strip search only, but I remember this when it came to.
Speaker 3: The age of the girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's never like because the guy was never like, oh it's a you know, tall guy that he stole the wallet, go bring him into the bat, you know, like because that would never work. They had to like use victims that they could control.
Speaker 3: Oh horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was usually like small towns, you know, like religious people, like authority in small towns is more. You're really taught to like listen to everyone and they're your neighbors.
Speaker 1: And I feel like Munch kind of had a point too, Like when you work at a fast food place in a small town or whatever, it is like, yeah, she's the assistant manager, I got a lit and everything she.
Speaker 3: Said, you know, like I gotta do it. So, yeah, you can't try that in a Brooklyn McDonald's. Yeah there. I bet he was not calling around the Burrows. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you know Karen the episode mentioned and it was like the you know, the detective mil Groom or whatever. So the Milgrim experiment on obedience to authority and what's funny is I get this in the Stanford prison experiment constantly confused. Yeah, me too, because both of them were ethical low points in research. And so both of these, both the prison and this Milgrim experiment changed like the APA style of what you can and can't do with subjects of testing and experiments.
Speaker 3: They really fucked with people here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So basically, the Stanley Milgram is a social Stanley Milgram is a social psychologist who researched the effect of authority on obedience and like, why do people obey when they field coursed? And this was a nineteen sixty one Yale University study, and he concluded that people obey either out of fear or out of desire to appear cooperative, and even when they're acting against their own better judgment and desires. And so he recruited subjects from all various walks of life. He put an ad in a paper and you were paid four dollars for one hour of your time. And over the next two years, hundreds of people showed up ready to be in the study. And the respondents were told the experiment would study the effects of punishment on learning ability. But all the people thought that they had an equal chance to be a teacher or student, but it was rigged and everyone played a teacher. So every single person that walked in to be a subject was a teacher, and all the students aka learners, were actors. So the learner was an actor and is a cohort And I kind of love that word of the experimenter and the teachers were told to administer increasing levels of electric shock to the learner when they answered a question wrong, but in reality, the only electric shock that was delivered was one single forty five volt shock to the teachers, so they knew how it felt, so they knew what they were doing, and so each teacher got.
Speaker 3: A little baby forty five volt shock.
Speaker 2: So they knew what was up and would understand what they're giving out. And the shock levels were labeled from fifteen to four hundred and fifty volts, and the actors so at seventy five volts they would grunt, they would complain at one twenty, asked to leave at one fifty plead with vigor was the words, then agonized screams at two eighty five, and then they were supposed to act desperate, yell loudly, complain of heart pain, and then finally at three hundred and thirty volts, the actor was instructed to go silent.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sixty five percent of the participants continued to give wild doses of electric shock, even though in all the video footage they didn't want to do it. It was all reluctant, like they wanted to stop. They're like the person made me do it. You know, someone would say the experiment requires that you continue, and someone's like, oh, I guess I have to. Some did back out early with like experimenters like pushing them and urging them, and those the experimenters were instructed to use force in different tools to also persuade people to do it.
Speaker 3: But some people backed out right away and was like fuck you.
Speaker 2: But the majority sixty five percent and these are like, we're willing to progress to the maximum voltage level even when they thought the learner was dead.
Speaker 3: My god, Like, there.
Speaker 2: Are people in this study who once they found out it wasn't real, we're like, oh, I'm so glad he wasn't He's not dead, but it's like you committed murder. And so the point of this whole thing is that the participants are seemingly good, average people, not evil. But they obeyed only under coersion, and one dude was like, I have to do it. I have to do it when he was told he needed to. And people were shocking, screaming people, and then finally they were debriefed, they were really relieved, and then there were groups of people out of that group. So the first group obeyed, but justify themselves. They're like, they gave up responsibility. It wasn't me, it was the experimenter. Then there were people that obeyed but blamed themselves. So these are the people that felt terrible what they had done. They were very hard on themselves, and then perhaps they'll be more likely to challenge authority in the future. And then there's the group that rebelled and they questioned authority of the experimenter and argued there was a greater ethical imperative calling for the protection of the students over the needs of the experiment. But these results can never be retested or recreated because of the ethical fucked upness of this study. So now the rules are like you you know, people have to know what they're getting into.
Speaker 3: You can't cause harm.
Speaker 2: And so you know, with decades of time, there's people that question it, there's new opinions about it, whatever, but at the end of the day, the findings can never be retested.
Speaker 3: This will stand alone.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, scary. You know what this reminded me of I wrote on this show the Stanford Prison Experiment, But also I wrote on this show called Magic for Humans that was like this magician guys show on Netflix, and I was in a writer's room with all magicians and they were like telling me so many interesting things about like how they they were telling me how a lot of like mentalists can get people to do hypnotism and stuff that they'll bring people into a room basically like a casting call, like the people don't know why they're there, and they'll have one person in the room who will just start like doing things like they'll let they'll a bell will go off and that person will stand up, and then the bell will go off and that person will stand will sit down, and after like a while, other people start following. And those are the people they eliminate. They're like these or no, those are the people they keep. If you don't follow those rules. If you're like I'm not going to stand up just because a bell is ringing, they kick you out because you're not open to suggestion, like you're not coercibles as much as other people. And that's how they find people to hypnotize on like television shows and stuff. They find people that are going to be the ones to follow like what someone else is doing, cause like it seems like they're just picking somebody out of a crowd. But when it's a crowd full of coercible people.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. Just reminded me of that. Yeah, it is like what would you do?
Speaker 1: I know, and I always like to think i'd be like, I'm not going to do I would never do that. But it's like maybe I don't. I mean, in the in the moment, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If the experimental is like it's fine, it's fine, keep going, I might be like, uh, oh, you know, I don't know. I don't think i'd go up to dead.
Speaker 2: It's this thing of like when I just stand in line for the bathroom and I want like I don't want to be a sheep, right, so I'll be like, did.
Speaker 3: You even check the door?
Speaker 2: To me, nothing is worse than when no one checks the door and you're just waiting in line and then you and you're like fuck all of you. But then if you're someone that thinks you're like then you go jingle the door and someone is in there and the person did check, and then you're just like humiliated. You're like an impatient loser. So it's like it's tough too. I don't know live life.
Speaker 1: Thank you for jamming for looking at all that up all that information.
Speaker 3: That was very interesting. I knew some of that story, but not all the details.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we'll just dive right into our post mortem because we don't have a guest today.
Speaker 2: Okay, So obviously this was one of our best episodes, can I say it? It was an incredible episode. Robin Williams. Obviously we did a full memoriam to him up top. But the crime is so fucked it. I talked to my sister's friend who's a lawyer, and it's just like, it's so messed up that these people had no justice because like obviously the managers, because it's like I don't want the managers to fully serve kidnapping terms like twenty five to life, but yeah, for them to fully serve no time is also fucked up.
Speaker 3: But if you say there at faults a little, then they're fully of fault.
Speaker 2: Like I get all of that, but they did abuse these people, but then to have the kingpin of it all get.
Speaker 3: Nothing, get nothing, it's insane.
Speaker 2: Even worse thinking about it more and more, and like it's like the fact that there was no intern, like no national or no FBI to get involved, like no.
Speaker 3: Like just that the construct I guess that's.
Speaker 2: That, like no one even tried to connect who the call was nothing like all dozens of victims with absolutely no justice, which is nothing new.
Speaker 3: It's just so upsetting.
Speaker 2: And the woman in the documentary just being like, you know, you're assaulted, your life changes, and some people it is forever cannot get what is it back to normal? Is that even a thing? Like it's just so heartbreaking that they get.
Speaker 1: No Like if somebody, if somebody like bullied somebody into committing a crime, if somebody was like just do it, just do it, just do it, like they would still get time. So I don't really get why somebody calling up and posing as somebody like you're still not exercising right and wrong. Like I don't really get why these people didn't get any punishment, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because like they don't even care about these women. They don't care, you know. The only real I mean, I think the detective that like that we met that I talked about, like you know, it was his neighbor's daughter and so we knew her her whole life. But if not, would he have gotten involved? Yeah, and not to bring you know what I just realized below Deck down Under did not have a reunion. Oh, bra wouldn't want to talk about it. Yeah, Ka chas Stain was just watch What Happens Live and they were playing like what would you do as a chief?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 2: Did this person do a good job? Didn't even bring it up? Like That's that's where Bravo does fail me. They really like they don't stand up until it's way too late. Yeah. Like, I just don't feel they're ever really ahead of the trend of like speaking out against anything very true, which is upsetting the opposite of Mrishkaarkitute also shout out, I don't even remember what time we were in what happened, but we did get gifted too Fearless Fearless necklaces.
Speaker 3: Not official but from like a story they were based off of. They were based on a true story.
Speaker 2: They were based I don't want you think people are showing up with seven hundred dollars gifts that you know that's not necessary.
Speaker 3: We do not expect anything at all.
Speaker 1: And also a shout out in Raleigh to the two listeners that showed up dressed as was it Rollin's and Malena.
Speaker 3: Yes, mortal enemy.
Speaker 1: Mortal Enemy is Melinda and Rollins, but it was their costumes.
Speaker 2: Were velo, so cute. There was a clipboard, there was a glove. I mean, they really like went for it in a way.
Speaker 1: Wait, come to our shows dressed up. No one will even look at you sideways. It's October. They'll assume you're going to a Halloween party. Come to our shows dressed up.
Speaker 3: We would love it. I love Halloween. We're gonna have fun. Wait. I just saw something some dynasty's doing.
Speaker 2: A death becomes her showing ooh, I know.
Speaker 1: I love that now a warning. Oh my god, I love death becomes.
Speaker 3: Her so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for those of you who are into Halloween but don't love like gory or horror, actual like scary. Death becomes her is like spooky, but comedy in a way that you would love.
Speaker 3: So we recommend that.
Speaker 2: And it's Goldiehan, Meryl Straight, Bruce Willis, Isabella Russellini.
Speaker 1: You can't get I mean, they don't make movies like this anymore. They simply don't. So you have to go watch it. I own it on DVD. I own a DVD I purchased. Jared got it for me a couple years ago because he's like, you need this.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, let's see let's do a what's it called when you put it on the screen projector knight? Yeah, yeah, we totally can, we totally should.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I'm gonna get trigger treaters this year. I always get a few, but not a ton. All right, let's get into our what would Sister peg do? Our weekly segment where we, you know, direct you guys to a documentary, a blog post, an organization, something to give you more info about what we talked about this week.
Speaker 3: And we thought this week.
Speaker 1: It would be best to just have you go to the docuseries that Liza mentioned in her research.
Speaker 3: Don't pick up the phone. It's on Netflix if you want more.
Speaker 1: Information about these heinous crimes and this miscarriage of justice. Really, the documentary follows the investigation into the series of hoax phone calls that were quote unquote allegedly perpetrated by David Richard Stewart wouldn't want this prince of a man to sue us for saying that he actually committed any crimes.
Speaker 3: So if you want more info on that.
Speaker 1: Disturbing case, check out the doc and the We'll be posted in our stories when this episode releases, as well as Saved forever in our WWSPD highlight.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, and next week another a episode appearances, Season four, episode nineteen, Get with it.
Speaker 3: We're obsessed with all of you.
Speaker 2: I hope to meet you at one of our live shows and tell a friend done done or not that made no sense, but have a great nay That's messed up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Karaklank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina.
Speaker 1: Chamberlain, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at exactly right media dun, dun,