Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market. Harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm to you Added Bay with Stephen Carroll, and we're joined by Bloomberg's Breaking News editor Louise Moon. Good morning, Louise. Let's start with HSBC. How are they faring after their second quarter earnings beat expectations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite strong set of news really, this one inform HSBC. So, as you say, second quarter profits beat. That was helped partly by their wealth unit, and despite China's been cracking down on cross border wealth flows, so that's even despite that their wealth unit performed particularly well. They also resume share buybacks, so they announced a one billion dollar share buyback, quite similar to peers that have already done so so Standard Shart to Barclay's they've already done so as well recently. And they also raise their cost cutting target, so kind of a sweep of quite positive news. They said on the back of that, you know, if this strong performance continues, they'll consider boosting their boat their bonus pool for bankers as well, and a CEO is essentially saying that this is showing that all his efforts have been ongoing to turn around the bank. This is demonstrating that it's becoming a stronger bank, and actually wealth, the wealth unit has been at the center of his transformation strategy. So it's kind of shown that that's all paying off. In terms of the share reaction. Shares initially moved higher, then they actually raised their gains to trade slightly lower and lesser, saying that.
Speaker 4: These earnings are kind of mixed and or in line.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, maybe not not the most positive reaction given the news, but it should be noted that shares have actually touched record highs in recent weeks, so potentially it's also got to take that into consideration as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, and you're right to point out that the kind of muted nature, despite the headline figures being so strong, kind of the same story or MVP when we look at the share price reaction, shares just over one percent.
Speaker 4: Their ownings also very strong. Yeah, profits surging this morning.
Speaker 1: It's this story that we've been seeing played out across kind of the major oil companies the market upheaval caused by the Middle East conflict. They're profiting from that, so similar to Shell for example last week, so BP profit surge. They also said they'll reach their debt target sooner than planned. As you say, shares rose slightly, but not too much. Essentially, investors this is good news, but investors are more focused on the long term and in that light, the CEO was quite clear in her comments this morning, relatively new CEO in the need for further improvement. Obviously, BP has been underperforming for years, and they've also been on a big turnaround. The CEO is saying they're not making the most of their potential. She laid out priorities five priorities going forward, really focusing on strengthening the balance sheet, simplifying the portfolio, and as part of that, this morning they've announced another asset for sale, so they're selling their US biogas business. That's less than a week after last week they announced they were exiting or planning to exit the North Sea so they're still continuing selling off all these assets. So, as I say, shares did rise slightly on the back of those profits, but there's a lot I had.
Speaker 4: To do to continue that turnaround for BP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quite a lot of honesty from the CEO of BP this morning. But finally we're seeing a drop for British medical equipment maker Smith and Nephew.
Speaker 4: Tell us more about the situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, currently the biggest drag on the FOOTZEO hundred, So shares fell about eight percent or the biggest faller, i should say, and they've already fallen about eleven percent this year. So this is after their first half results weaker then expected revenue. They also cut their revenue growth forecast for the whole year. All on the back of this is ongoing weaker demand for hip and knee implants in the US, so generally the market has been moving towards kind of newer products, ones that don't contain cement, so unlike the ones at Smith. In their few currently offer, they've already been trying to kind of cut back costs, pair back older products. They are launching a cementless product and they say that they therefore expect sales to improve in the second half. But basically orthopedics is a key part of their sales, but it's been facing challenges and instill a drags. They're working to improve that there's also some external pressures as well, so they have an activist investor that's been building a stake and is now the largest shareholder, so shares as they say, for about in morning trading about eight percent on that.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.