Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour on a meet Friday, which means I'm about one hour away, actually less than that from getting some steak in my belly and trying to figure out how many I don't know how big the filaise are, but how many Filet Mignon's I can put into the coffee cups that fit into my drink holders in my truck for the drive back to Pennsylvania. That should be fun. Love welcoming all of the people listening on all the Fox Sports Radio affiliates around the country. Of course, I like the people also that will tweet me tomorrow about something that they're listening to on the show. Via podcast, you can always check out the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. We are at DP show on Twitter. I'm at Ross Tucker NFL on all platforms. You can give us a buzz. It got to a calls last hour actually eight seven to seven to three DP show. You can check out our YouTube channel as well. We have two guests today in the final hour before we get to what we learned later on the show, Greg Cosell, who joins me every week on the Rosstucker Podcast. He'll be up in about twenty minutes. Nobody breaks down the quarterbacks like Greg. But it's college hoops time. It right now is when I get engaged with college basketball. Football's behind us. You know, we got a month and a half before the draft. Right now is when I engage Maverick and get ready to watch these conference tournaments as well as obviously March. Matt, you'd like that.
Speaker 3: Paulley as a nice quick reference, engage mavericks work.
Speaker 2: You know what else I use from that movie a lot? Bys This thing will be over in two minutes. Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Does it bother you when people don't get references like that if you make that joke with a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Marv's is looking at me like he does no idea what I'm talking about. Marv's like staring through my my my soul right lost? Is that from like a Western or something?
Speaker 4: Maverick seatan even know you're messaging type of Western movie about it?
Speaker 5: I didn't see the one yet though, you didn't see Maverick.
Speaker 2: No, how is that possible that you I don't want I don't I don't watch very many movies. I have kids. I care about my children. I like to spend time with my children.
Speaker 5: You gotta change that up, man, What do you mean you gotta care about them?
Speaker 2: You watch TV shows and you go to movies. I spend quality time with my children. I'm a I'm a good dad.
Speaker 5: Take mistake, seatan.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the first one Top Gun of course, like twenty times? Yeah? Then you saw the second one? Seriously. Yeah. So when I was leaving the Eagles postgame Super Bowl party, that guy was walking in though, Miles Miles Teller, Miles Teller, he was. He was walking in while I was walking out. I had to catch the red eye back. But I've never seen the movies. I don't really know much about him other than he's popular and he's an Eagles fan. Let's get to John Rothstein. He's a CBS Sports college basketball insider. By the way, when I first got in the media two thousand and seven, okay, I was still on injured reserve with the Washington football team. Made a different name. Back then. I did a TV show with John Rothstein. At times, I don't even remember the name of the show. John, Do you remember this name of the show? Seth was the producer. It was like we would go around the horn kind of you were in New York. I was indifferent. Do you remember that show?
Speaker 4: I think it was out of line on c or out of boundary.
Speaker 2: Out of bounds, out of bounds.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember it vividly.
Speaker 6: Ross. Great to be with you this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you are killing it. It's been fun to follow your career. It's funny. You probably hear this a lot, John, I know you're full invested in it. I don't follow college hoops hardly at all until right now and now this weekend and this week I will root for like my my, my wife and sister in law went to Bucknell, right I went to Princeton. I will root for them like you wouldn't believe. I think it's the coolest part of maybe any sport, is rooting for your alma mater or for smaller schools to have their chance at the dance.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing Ross that's become so interesting because of the changing landscape in college basketball. There's less player attention, especially at the mid major level. So we are going to enter all these conference tournaments here over the next week, and we are going to see different teams seeded a certain way entering these conference tournaments. Seeds had never been more meaningless in these obvious conference tournaments than they are right now because the lack of player attention. And another thing you have to remember. Last year, only twelve teams out of the thirty two conferences that won their respective regular seasons went on to when automatic qualifiers to the NCAA Tournament by winning their conference tournament. Russ Ducker, this is March.
Speaker 2: Wow. One third actually won their conference tournament. So this is self serving, okay, But I got to ask you about Princeton quick, all right. My understanding is that they have like the two best players in the IVY League. They have Alec Pierce, the colt receiver, his younger brother Kayden, And they have the point guard from Toronto that put his name into the NBA draft last year. I think his name Xavian Lee. I just looked John. We're in fourth place in the IVY League. We're like seven and six. I've been working, I've been practicing every day for this. Why are we not good?
Speaker 4: Well? Princeton in a lot of ways is kind of the polar op of what Princeton went through last year. Last year, Princeton was a heavy favor going to the Ivy League tournament and was upset in that tournament as the team that everybody thought was going to be one of the best mid majors in the country. And now you look at what's happened to Princeton. Yes, there's zaviing Lee, lest there's Caden Pierce, but look at some of the ancillary players. Zach Martini no longer on Princeton from a year ago, He's on Rutgers. Because we have to remember right now that these players still have the ability to move and go to other places. Matt a Loco, another player who was on that Princeton team from a year ago that was upset in the Ivy League tournament, went and played for Notre Dame. So maybe we'll see if Princeton can reverse course. But here's one thing I want to point out, and I know that people, especially at the mid major level, one who celebrate regular season titles, nobody remembers in college basketball what people do during the regular season. You are judged by what you do in the NCAA tournament. And this is why what we're going to embark on right now over the next three and a half four weeks is the greatest postseason that we have in sports. We spend days, we spend weeks, We spent months talking about the bubble from February first until now. We have to remember ross that last year there were five different teams that stole bids during their respective conference tournaments. Now, what is a bid stealer? A bid stealer is a team that was not projected to make the NCAA tournament who then wins its conference tournament and then earns a bid to March Madness. Last year we had Duquane out of the Atlantic Ten. We obviously had UAB out of the AAC NC State out of the ACC won the ACC tournament five games in five days and then went on to go to the Final four under Kevin Keats. New Mexico stole a bid out of the Mountain West, and then Oregon did the same out of the PAC twelve. That was five teams that were not projected to be into the NCAA Tournament who then found a way to get to March Madness.
Speaker 2: It is awesome talking with John Rothstein. As you can tell, he is the best college basketball insidery does it for CBS Sports company I work for as well. You know you kind of hit on this, John, but I want to expound upon it a little bit. What I know, it's all the above, but what aspect of it do you think makes it so popular? Is it the fact that it's brackets, like people just I don't know what is about humans we love like my like beer punk tournament, bracket like whatever it is, like I love brackets, okay. And also the betting. I mean, people bet a lot on March mad and then and then it's the underdog. It's the whole thing. If you kind of had to rank the reasons for March Madness popularity, where would you stack him up.
Speaker 4: It's a one game tournament. It is not obviously a best of seven series. So the fact that we have this game, that obvious league is decided by a sixty eighteen bracket with sixty seven games. If you have one bad half, if you have one bad game, every single thing can change. And then there is still the opportunity for, with everything that's going on in college sports, to have the most unexpected and unpredictable results. And you know, I remember two years ago, you know, I've been fortunate enough to work the first four for US in Dayton. I had the pleasure of, you know, covering Fairley Dickinson two years ago. In twenty twenty three, Fairley Dickinson two years ago was not good enough to win the Northeast Conference tournament. Merrimack won the Northeast Conference Tournament, but because of transitional rule to Division one, Merrimack was not eligible for the NCAA Tournament. So Fairly Dickinson lost in the finals of its conference tournament, but it got the automatic qualifier because Merrimack was ineligible. Fairly Dickinson then goes on to the first four, beats Texas Southern in the first four, and then gets a matchup up with Duke who had the national Player of the Year in Zach Edy and won the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles. And still Fairleigh Dickinson was able then to pull off the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA Tournament by beating Purdue. This is the stuff that is in store. And again, if you're not in a situation where you're following college basketball from November first until now, you're pretty much admitting that you hate fun.
Speaker 2: All right, So I want to ask you about Saint John's because they've won the Big East for the first time in forty years. I know you've talked about him a lot. I'm sure. Yeah. So is this obviously Patino's their coach. Is this a great coaching job or is this John Have we got a point where some Saint John's alums made a decision and they bought a really good team. I don't follow it right, So you explain to me how Saint John's seemingly came out of nowhere to get this good.
Speaker 4: Saint John's has been a barren program for twenty five years. Saint John's has not won an NCAA tournament game since two thousand. How long ago is that Jay Wright was the head coach in Halstra. But with all that said, Saint John's this year was able to be in a situation because it hired a Hall of fame coach, a can't miss coach, and Rick Patino, and it put together a roster now that is, you know, twenty six and four heading into tomorrow's game against Marquette, that's the best in the Big East. It's the first regular season title outright for Saint John's in the Big East that's been won by the Red Storm since the eighty four to eighty five season, which was the year that Saint John's went to the Final Four with lukarnasecond Chris Malwand.
Speaker 6: Look, one of the things that.
Speaker 4: We've seen right now in this new landscape of college sports is the playing field is very level. So a program like Saint Johns that has the infrastructure in place to put together a strong roster can now compete with the Dukes, the Kansases, and the Kentucky's. And then conversely, some of the blue blood programs now might be falling back to the pack a little bit. Kansas will enter it's Big Twelve finale in the regular season tomorrow against Arizona, and in the last two years, Kansas is only a combined twenty and seventeen in Big twelve regular season games. Remember this was a program that from twenty thirteen to twenty eighteen, under Bill's self want at least to share excuse me, from twenty three or so to twenty eighteen, under Bill self want at least to share of almost every Big twelve regular season title. Remember, Ross, it's not anarchy, it's just college basketball.
Speaker 2: I love his closing line of every of every answer. All right, tell me about Cooper Flag Like for people that haven't watched him a lot, he's I think a lot of people would probably say he's the name in college basketball that they recognize, that they know, but a lot of people still haven't really watched him that much. Is there any weakness to his game? Is there an NBA guy that you compare him to that people can kind of get that visual on their head.
Speaker 4: You know, Cooper flags like a cheet code. He's like playing Madden when you're a kid and putting it on the easiest possible level, because that's how effortless he makes the game look. He's been every bit as good as advertised. I think there's a little bit of Andre Carolenko in his game, but he's got so much polish on the offensive side of the floor.
Speaker 5: But Duke, without.
Speaker 4: Question, has the best roster in the sport. I think one of the things that we've all been disappointed about, and it's not Duke's fault, is this is the worst ACC that we have seen in our lifetime. Unless there is a big stealer at the ACC tournament, this league is likely to get only three of its eighteen teams in the NCAA Tournament. That is just one sixth of the conference. The ac SEA since twenty seventeen, has lost the following coaches, Rick Bettino, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Jim Larrenega, Buzz Williams, Mike Bray and Leonard Hamilton will lead after this year. So it has been a major, major transition for a conference that was the sports most favor for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is absolutely wild. You got to check John out. He does a terrific job throughout the tournament. If you want to know what's going on with college basketball, follow John Rothstein on every platform. The does a terrific job as the college basketball insider for CBS Sports. That was perfect. Thank you so much, John.
Speaker 4: Thanks Ross were sleeping.
Speaker 2: May I love that dude. You know he should actually, I mean, I guess it's great that CBS has him. The NTLA should pay that guy. I mean, that guy is like a walking salesman for college basketball. That was amazing, Paul.
Speaker 3: One of my first jobs in media when I moved to New York City was working with like Jim Nants and the guys at CBS Sports as one of the blue shirts the research people in the background, and we had to work the first four days of the NCA tournament, but it was like fifteen hour days. But there's nowhere better to be. We get the brackets half an hour before everyone got the brackets, so you got to like.
Speaker 5: Chew it up.
Speaker 3: It was just one of the cooler jobs of all time to see. Let's throw back to Jim Nansen the studio for an update, and there he is.
Speaker 2: Why do we love brackets so much? Like any type of brackets, My buddies like any bracket for youth sports or.
Speaker 3: You know, simplifies everything. It makes everything easier to consume. The eight is versus the nine, the five is versus the twelve. You got their name, their record, their ranking. It's just you open it up. Back in the day, you used to print it out and put it in your pocket, but it's on your phone.
Speaker 2: I just like looking at it. Fritzy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a good looking thing. It's very simple. Little kids can do it. An elderly person. It's just you're just circling teams. Sometimes you're doing it by color or mascot, and all of a sudden, one of your wild guesses is making it into the sweet sixteen or the Elite eight. And it's just a fun easy thing to do. It's a piece of paper you can walk around with and update with little checks and x's based on what happens to the cost of the day. It's it's just a fun, easy thing to look at and play with.
Speaker 2: By the way, does Fritzi do this to you guys? Where he sent me an email? There was no ten in the email, but the subject of the email said, will you please fill out a bracket again this year and be in our tournament? Like, what is that? Fritz?
Speaker 7: I've done that many times, and Paula especially says, you know, has told me on many occasions.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it doesn't all.
Speaker 7: Show up on the screen or on the phone. And Mike Turico used to call me sl Fritz, single line Fritz because I put it in a subject line.
Speaker 2: I guess it was a subject line.
Speaker 5: Fits you.
Speaker 2: There's nothing in the email. It's just all in the subject line.
Speaker 3: Paulie, in all seriousness, Todd and I've been working together a long time. He puts long email texts into the subject line, like you said, and nothing in there, and it gets cut off. I've asked him at least two hundred times directly h line. Can you put this in the body of the email. It's easier for us to see and consume it. And I don't think he's hurt.
Speaker 2: Why don't you do it? Frizzi? I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just I'm not to get to bother anybody to be a hindrance or difficult. It just sometimes it's just easier for me to type a few words. And I will realize sometimes go shockingly long winded, and if you write too many words on the subject line, then you're not gonna be able to see the whole thing. And then I'm just it's just easy to type a few words, almost like a text message as an email, into that one line and send it.
Speaker 2: Sounds like, uh, you should like that. There's things that you should get punished for, like you should get a pie to the face the next time you do that, because you gotta learn, like you gotta you gotta learn one way or the other. Hey, speaking of learning, we are gonna learn a ton. Does your team need a quarterback? Because guess what a lot of them do, Jets, Giants, Colts, Steelers, Raiders. I'm missing some. Greg Cosell is the best in the business. The forty five year NFL Films legend. He'll break down the top college guys and tell you what he really thinks of guys like Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, and Justin Fields when we come back eighteen minutes past the hour here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together. We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 8: So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up as they say.
Speaker 9: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 6: Only.
Speaker 2: I have like thirty minutes left here. Time flies when you're having fun. A little bit later on the hour, we'll get to this day in sports history, as well as what we learned Ross Tucker in for Dan on a meet Friday. I just saw the stakes, by the way, and yes, I will post pictures to at least Twitter and Instagram at Ross Tucker NFL. They look absolutely incredible. I mean, no, I don't get paid in meat, but I would consider it when I come here on Fridays. I absolutely love talking with this guy every week on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. I call him this civilian goat because I think he is the best film watcher and film breakdowner. If that's a word of anybody that did not play or coach in the NFL. He's been doing He's doing a lot longer than a lot of people have been doing. What they've been doing forty five plus years. He is the great. Greg Cosel joins me typically Thursdays on the Ross Tucker Podcast. But we got to talk quarterbacks because there's a bunch of teams that need them. Greg, always great to talk with you. We're doing it twice this week, not just once. Appreciate the time. I guess let's start with the college guys, because there's gonna be at least one, maybe more NFL teams that find their starting quarterback via the draft. And so, is there a guy that was a clear number one when you broke down shardor Sanders and war and all these guys who kind of jumped out to you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I think just before I give you that person, and people who maybe listen to us and to listen to me know that I believe it's cam Ward. But I think the important point to remember is quarterbacks have different traits and different attributes and different characteristics. That doesn't mean that they can't play in the league. It just means that the variables that come into play the different variables that come into play ross. And you know this having played in the league. Now you start getting into things like team scheme, players around them, coaching. You know, there's so many factors involved that just because a quarterback might not be high on my list or might not be number one, doesn't mean he can't play in the league. It's just you have to understand what their traits and attributes are and what that means when you project them. So I thought when I watched cam Ward, I thought that he was the most physically gifted of the quarterbacks in this draft, that he had high level traits in order to, you know, ideally become a good player in the league. He's got a live arm, he's got a playmaking dimension to his game. Obviously, he's got some things he has to clean up. I actually watched him speak at the podium at the combine and he said quite clearly, which is true, that there were times he held the ball too long and that's some sacks are on him and that's something he has to clean up. And I think that's another thing that people have to realize, is that none of these quarterbacks enter the league as a finished product, and there's things that have to be coached and developed and that takes time, and those things can show up in the NFL, and it doesn't mean that they're going to be bad players. So there's so many factors involved. But I thought clearly him war to me, was a defined number one quarterback prospect in this draft class.
Speaker 2: And so, okay, and we know he's gonna get drafted where he's gonna get drafted. But when you look at him, Greg, did you think like number one pick, that quarterback?
Speaker 10: I started to feel that way the more I watched him. Yes, And again, it may or may not happen. You know, when you hear the Tennessee Titans brass talk, you kind of get this sense they hold a number one pick that they'd like to get more players because their roster is kind of depleted.
Speaker 6: So I don't know.
Speaker 10: Again, you never know if teams wants want to trade up. We won't know that, you know, probably for a while. But I started to feel the more I watched Ward, And I just want people to understand that I watched him last summer seven eight games at Washington State. I think I watched nine games this year at the University of Miami, and the more I watched him, you know, as I said, there are definitely things that need to be cleaned up. There's no question there's a little bit of a looseness and lack of discipline at times to his game that must be coached hard. But he can work the pocket, he can make progression throws, he can make outstanding outside of structured throws, which were prevalent throughout his tape. So I came to believe that, yes, he could be that kind of prospect.
Speaker 2: All right, some of these other guys Greg you know, shardor Sanders and Jackson Dart. Just watching the video, which is what you do, was there, who would you say was the next most impressive guy on video?
Speaker 10: I mean, if you're just going by tape, and again I'm not going to sit here and say this is where guys are going to get drafted, but I would say, just watching tape, I came away really impressed with Tyler Shuck out of He played for three teams in his college career, but he ended up this year at Louisville.
Speaker 6: It was the first year that he truly.
Speaker 10: Played as a full time starter and played pretty much all the games I mean, he was in he came out of Arizona. It seems like he came out twenty years ago as one of the top rated quarterbacks in the country. But again, he's a very intriguing player because of his age, which, by the way, most gms don't view that as a problem. It's more the injury history. But you know, I thought that he did a lot of the little things really well. Ball security, always kept both hands on the ball when forced to move out of the pocket, whether climbing or escaping. Laterally, he has a very easy delivery. He worked from a firm base. He could sit on his back foot with bodies around him and drive the football. Yet he could throw with pace and touch. He could layer throws. He had enough movement that he's not a playmaker, but he had enough movement where he's not a statue. I thought his his traits were strong, and I thought his tape was really, really good. Now, again, I don't know where he's going to get drafted. I'm sure he's going to be polarizing in draft rooms. I'm sure there's some people listening right now that probably think, oh, he's you know, he's a third round player and he's not.
Speaker 6: Gonna make it.
Speaker 10: You know, we don't know the answer to these questions, but the tape was very good. And you know what, he's six' five and he's two twenty five and as you Know ross having played in this.
Speaker 6: League that's a.
Speaker 10: Trait there's a big difference between being six' one and sixty five when you're.
Speaker 6: A quarterback talking.
Speaker 2: With The great Greg co CELL From nfl, films here you can check him out on social Media at Greg CO cell's i think a lot of People listening greg On The fox sports radio affiliates are Watching on peacock are probably surprised that the second most impressive quarterback to you Was Not. Shador sanders so what did you see when you've Broke down shador? Sanders tape since there's obviously the subject of a lot, of conversation.
Speaker 6: And again his tape.
Speaker 10: Not bad, you know that's the issue you face us as you, know this you're you're you talk every, single day and you know the way people Respond what i'm about to say is not a knock at All In. SHADOR sanders i just think you need to understand what kind of quarterback. He is and by, the way you can, be very very good in. The league he's an easy natural thrower to. The football he does not have higher level, arm strength and You can that's a discussion that people have all the time about the relative merits of arm strength IN. The nfl some believe, it's important some believe it's it's not one of the most. Important traits that's a discussion people have all the time when they. Evaluate quarterbacks, you know just as a, quick ASIDE when i hear the phrase he can make all, the throws that tells me he can't make all. The Throws and i'm Talking, About shador i'm talking ABOUT when i hear that about quarterbacks, in.
Speaker 6: General because why are we.
Speaker 10: Saying that, you know so you know a quarterback could make all, the throws then why are we, even having, you know. Saying that, but anyway getting Back, TO shador I think shador is much more of a ball distributor and executor of. An offense that's the style of quarterback. He is and by, the way you can be a really good quarterback IN the nfl playing. THAT way i think As with WARD that i mentioned a few things that need to be. Cleaned up there's a few things with shador that.
Speaker 6: Need to be.
Speaker 10: Cleaned Up, number one he has a tendency to hold the ball with one hand when he. Feels pressure you know as WELL as. I do that has to be cleaned up IN, the nfl and that'll be one of the first things that's cleaned up because you cannot give the ball away IN. The nfl and second, of all he has a tendency to. Retreat backwards you cannot retreat backwards IN. The nfl but you're dealing with a guy that at his best. Is rhythmic he's. A distributor he's an easy thrower for the. Most part his ball placement is. Pretty precise there's a lot, to LIKE but i think he's a. Ball distributor, YOU know i think in, some ways, YOU know i THOUGHT. Of cj stroud when he came Out Of. OHIO state I thought stroud was a better prospect in a number. Of ways but they're both sort of at their core. Pocket quarterbacks and, YOU know I think sanders is not at the Level of Stroud when stroud, came out but he's that kind.
Speaker 6: Of player stylistically.
Speaker 2: Interesting Talking with GREG cos i want To transition greg to the veteran quarterbacks because we've got free agency. Next, week yeah and there are GUYS that i think are gonna. Find Jobs, Sam Donald, Daniel Jones, Justin Fields. Aaron rodgers let's Start with donald because there still seems to be some debate as to whether or not he's the guy he was in the first sixteen games, last year or he's the guy that he was in the last. Two games what do you think any team that Would sign donald will be getting, With, HIM.
Speaker 10: Well i think the discussion probably revolves around whether he's a scheme specific player or whether you can put him in any scheme and. Be effective because, don't forget, you know the year Prior, to minnesota he was a backup quarterback For, the niners and then he Went to Minnesota with, kevin O'Connell who pretty much everybody understands is a really good pass. Game schemer the schematics of that offense really, present clean defined throws for the quarterback at the intermediate and, deeper levels and that's a rarity IN the nfl, these days with so many short balls. Being Thrown and donald was phenomenal. At that here's the statistic that blew, me away and he led the league in passes that went more than twenty yards in the air ross from the line. Of scrimmage think, about that more than twenty yards in the air from the line. Of scrimmage donald completed fifty seven percent of his passes that led. The league, By contrast mahomes completed twenty six percent of. His Passes and i'm not Suggesting think donald's a better Quarterback. Than mahomes That's not he already. Said it it's on. Social, media, yeah yeah there. You go so so, YOU know, i, MEAN so i think that that's the Discussion with donald as to whether you could, sign him plug him into any system and he would, be successful or whether what he did a year ago was very.
Speaker 6: Foundationally a product of Working with.
Speaker 10: Kevin O'Connell and that's probably one of those things that there's no it's not a. Mathematical equation no one knows the answer to, that specifically AND that i don't get into, the money but that will probably dictate what teams. Offer him if people felt you could put him in any system ross and he'd, be great he'd probably be in the forty five to fifty. Million range if people feel that that's not, the case he'll probably be closer to the thirty thirty five, million range and we'll see where it goes. From there but we're dealing with a six four to two hundred and twenty five pound guy with a big arm and AND need i say he can make every THROWER ofs.
Speaker 2: I, Love, Sorry greg and of course he's he can move.
Speaker 6: As, well yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Love greg cosel Comes On The Dan patrick show and drops a stat of the Day On sam darnald throwing it over twenty. Yards, downfield greg What About. Daniel jones You know i'm curious. About him is there Any Chance daniel jones could be This Year's sam donald or two Years AGO's? Baker mayfield that he could be sort of the reclamation Project in cleveland or somewhere and play at a.
Speaker 10: HIGH level a true enigma, For, me ross because, you know up to, this point i'd have to SAY that i was wrong.
Speaker 6: ABOUT him i liked him.
Speaker 10: Coming, OUT now i didn't like him THE way i thought He'd Beat, josh ALLEN but i liked him coming out and as we probably, ALL remember i know, you do his, rookie year he was. Very good there was a sense coming off his rookie season that he, could be, you know A quality nfl. Starting quarterback now we can start looking at any number of reasons why it, didn't, happen oh lack, of weapons but you have to also look at, the player. You know and one of the Things About daniel JONES that i thought started to really show itself and again now you get, into teams scheme and, other factors is even though he is mobile as a straight, line runner he's fairly robotic in. The pocket and one thing that, he LACKS and i think this is a really, important trait one thing that he lacks is. Pocket movement and that's a difference between running out of. The pocket that's there are two totally. Different traits pocket movement is the ability to move within. The pocket think of an area that's, you know SMALLER than i let's say the size of a, boxing ring but, you know just to give you a sense of sort of confined space to be able to move in, the pocket within, the pocket to, avoid pressure keep your, eyes downfield maintain, your focus not lose your focus of the routes and, the coverage and still then reset your platform to deliver. THE ball i think that that's a, that's right that he needs that he hasn't, really SHOWN and i think that's really imperative for the style of quarterback that.
Speaker 2: He is check him out on social Media At greg cosel so you know wherever, he's at especially when he joins Me on thursdays typically On The Ross Tucker. Football podcast obviously forty FIVE years. Nfl films, Just, incredible greg thank you. So much, As always.
Speaker 6: Rock really appreciate being on with. You today thanks for having.
Speaker 2: ME absolutely i love the sports history stuff and what, we learned very very. Fired up now ONLY do i love Talking. With greg greg would actually be perfect for sports, history THERE but i love going over this date in SPORTS and i agree With something seaton said yesterday on. The show i'll tell you what that is when we come back forty minutes past the hour Here On The Dan.
Speaker 1: Patrick show be sure to catch the live Edition Of The Dan patrick show week days at Nine am eastern Six am Pacific On Fox sports radio And.
Speaker 2: The iHeartRadio i'm not in love with some of the new stat of. The days some of the new stat of, the days like the, ONE yesterday i couldn't even tell that they were saying stat of. THE day i didn't even know it was the stat of, the day And then seaton. Came in, you guys really you had a lot of bad. Comments yesterday you guys don't want TO be Dk met you don't want to LOOK Like dk metcalf if you weren't.
Speaker 5: Playing sports i'll.
Speaker 2: Cut off both my pinkies to LOOK Like. Dk metcalf are you?
Speaker 3: Kidding me but if you see a guy at a jim who's completely shredded.
Speaker 2: In, fact yeah that. Sounds amazing what's.
Speaker 5: The, PROBLEM well i guess you, would, say like is all? That work what's? It for just to? Look awesome but you're not actually making money?
Speaker 2: Off it right to, look awesome to get girls to be in, great shape but you could be like to make other men feel bad. About themselves there's a lot of. Good reasons. GOOD point, i mean it's it is, funny though Because like i'll see guys now my age that are in like. Ridiculous SHAPE and I guess i always have. Two Thoughts now number one is is he? Taking? Testosterone like what's? He taking because to really be jacked when you get in your forties, and fifties that is hard if you're not pharmaceutically enhanced, number one then. Number two, it's like does he have? Any fun you KNOW what? I MEAN like i look at SOMEONE and i just want to. Say it, i'm, like, hey man have you ever had? A? Burger like have you ever had? A beer it tastes so good when it touches, Your, lips paulie it's when it hits your lips it tastes. So.
Speaker 5: Good yeah but that's.
Speaker 3: Another thing if you're forty years old, in shredded you must be eating, unbelievably, disciplined right and that cannot be fun in perpetuity in like a ten.
Speaker 5: Year stretch.
Speaker 2: Definitely not IT'S like i saw. One time he's a friend, of MINE but i Saw Where, dan orlowski Who who i'm, friendly with said that food, is fuel, you know and he only, looked like you. KNOW who i don't want to be friends with or hang out with people that say food. IS fuel i want to hang out with people that say food.
Speaker 5: IS fun i lo.
Speaker 3: This joy I've seen orlowsky. Eating before he lives not far, from me and he'll eat like a, chicken breast unseasoned with nothing else, on.
Speaker 5: It maybe like a sweeze. Of, lemon yeah and he's. Perfectly happy he.
Speaker 2: Hates, flavor yeah food, is happiness, you know like food's one of the great joys, in. LIFE Correct, I like i'm amazed that you would just deprive yourself of a joy. Like that, that's like that's like, Being like i'm not going to watch, sports, because uh, you know it's not serious unless, You know i'm sports are silly.
Speaker 3: UNLESS You're dk metcalfe and you're doing it to be a star. Wide receiver, you know then you have a purpose to eat like that.
Speaker 2: Or, no, no no but do you know You Know dk, metcalf's, Deal, right no he like doesn't eat anything all day until like eight o'clock, at night and then he eats like three bags of skittles or. Something, CRAZY hey i had. A roommate i had. A, ROOMMATE okay i won't say. HIS name i don't know if you want me to SAY that i have. A ROOMMATE when i was IN, the nfl he was. Remarkably, SHREDDED okay i ate everything the bills told us. TO eat i had all my meals at, the facility like the low fat pancakes or like whatever they told us. TO eat i ate it to. A tea i'd. COME home i would bring home a salad or whatever he, would eat like. Hamburger helper he'd sit there and eat a whole bag Of dur doritos or a whole sleeve. OF oreos i swear his forearms would just, get bigger like there would be another vein would pop in, his forearms or his ab. Would pop i'd, be like how is? That part you would not know him because he's a he was a career, special teamer but he was so SHREDDED and i was So.
Speaker 11: Frustrated fritzy the, other, thing though other than depriving yourself and not being able to enjoy food or being on such a tight low calorie die of things you, can't eat there's, ALSO people I believe i've seen it at the gym over, the years that are so obsessively.
Speaker 2: Working out where are they?
Speaker 7: Enjoying life has it become an obsessive compulsive disorder where you're constantly having to work out and run and lift like every waking hour that you have a moment or you feel really guilty and horrible if you didn't.
Speaker 2: Do THAT so i have a little bit.
Speaker 6: OF that i.
Speaker 2: WORK out i would say one point five times, a DAY and i feel LIKE a pos UNTIL and i don't mean point. OF sale i feel LIKE a pos all DAY until i, work out so which IS why i normally work out first thing in. The morning so this morning at, THE hotel i did thirty minutes on the elliptical interval sprints so minute average a, minute hardcore AND then i did thirty minutes on. The treadmill the last twenty witch backwards because everything we do is so quad dominant and so. Forward Focused the bills taught ME when i Was. In buffalo actually after every workout we would walk two hundred yards backwards cause you're kind of like resetting your body a. Little bit people don't do enough things going the other. Direction anyway, all right on this date in, sports history. Mark seventh this. Is crazy baseball decided that nine innings constitutes an, official game not nine runs in eighteen fifty so back then you had, to win you had to score. Nine runs and then how. About this in nineteen, fifty Four the Lakers and hawks experimented by raising the baskets from ten feet to. Twelve Feet the lakers won sixty five. Sixty three it was a. Great game by, the way how did they score that many points on twelve? Foot baskets, it's crazy. ABSOLUTELY nuts, I like i make sure we have time for what we, Learned, Today fritzy WHAT did? I?
Speaker 7: Learn uh we all learned you have no plans to turn To meet friday steaks into cubes to put in a cup for the car ride Back. To pennsylvania you're gonna pick that steak up and just.
Speaker 2: Gnawn, it well you, KNOW what i don't think the filets were. Gonna fit and you guys sliced him and. Diced THEM but i didn't want to take a. Metal FORK so i have STEAK and i took one of your. Pointer, Thingers here i'm gonna. Stab it there you go like? Stab, It yeah i'm in a spirit like like a Man like lord Of.
Speaker 7: The.
Speaker 4: Fly Yeah greg cosel is the best tape breaker downer in.
Speaker 2: The business. That's right there's no better take breaker Downer Than. Greg cosell marv early in your career you worked on a Show With john rostein called Out.
Speaker 9: Of.
Speaker 2: BOUNDS nice i, like that, All. Right paulie we all learned, to Chuck. Cut chuck it's. CUT chuck i learned TODAY that i only use shampoo. AND conditioner i try to wait till i'm in a hotel to. Save money. That's bad by, the way when's the last time you just shampooed but you, didn't condition or you. CONDITION without i don't even know what. Conditioner IS all i know, is that like it was in the Fight With adam Sandler And, BILLY madison i make it silky. And smooth check me out on social Media At, ROSS. Tucker nfl have a, great. Weekend everybody this show is, the best and so. Were you