Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this program. Come on in, stay awhile we'll talk to Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo.
Speaker 3: It's an annual tradition.
Speaker 2: It feels like it gets to the Sweet sixteen or the Elite eighth and we have tom Izzo on from Michigan State. We'll get phone calls eight seven to seven three. DP Show email addressed EPA Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle that DP Show. Good morning, those watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, or those listening on our radio affiliates around the country, and those chatting on chat Row. Everything on sale Danpatrick dot com. Almost everything is under twenty dollars. If you want to pick up some great bargains, there is We do a little spring cleaning here. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the DP Show, and this first hour brought to you by ti raq dot com, the official tire expert of the show. Go to tiraq dot com slash Dan try the Tired Decision Guide. See the full line line up of Firestone tires special offers, free road hazard Protection, Mobile tire installation, tirerac dot com. The way tire buying should be all right eight seven seven three DP show operator sitting by to take your phone calls, pull question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming. USC lost Juju Watkins for the rest of the tournament due to a knee injury looks like a torn acl and this is when the sport loses. There are times when there's injuries, but then there's injuries that hurt the entire sport. When Tiger was out for a variety of reasons or had surgeries, or the car accident, like the sport is hurt Brady when he blew out his knee, or maybe Peyton Manning when he had next surgery. The entire sport loses. And that was the case last night for Juju Watkins because if you look at the chain of command page, Becker's was the national player of the year in high school. Caitlin Clark was in that same class, but this was Paige Becker's as the national player of the years of freshmen and then all of a sudden she had a couple of these surgeries. Then that paved the way for Caitlin Clark to take the baton, and for the next three years she was the face of college basketball. And then you had Juju Watkins last year, who was starting to become the face of college basketball. She is the face of college basketball right now. You can't watch the tournaments without seeing her on a variety of commercials there. In fact, after she got injured, they go to commercial break and it's a Nike commercial featuring her. She's gonna be in college basketball for the next couple of years. You have to wait until you're a senior to go to the WNBA. You have built in stars. They're here for a while, you get to know them. And for Juju Watkins, she was going to be the next And I said this earlier this season. She could turn out to be better than Caitlyn Clark as far as a basketball player, not the phenomenon, but as far as a basketball player, she could turn out to be better than her. Women, you know, have come back from these surgeries. Paige Becker's has come back. If you've talked to doctors or you have children, you know, women seem to be more susceptible to these kind of knee injuries. Believe it or not, and having had six surgeries on one knee, just the ability to try to come back, try to come back at a high level, try to come back and be normal whatever that is. You know, it's a challenge, but modern medicine has made incredible strides here. Juju Watkins. This will be a while for her to come back because the season's almost over here with the tournament. Now you have surgery probably right away. But it was a shame to see that because you were going to have Connecticut and USC probably meet each other in the Elite eight. And I know that people were critical of the tournament and how they scheduled it last year. We're like, why would you have you know, Iowa playing LSU before, you know, maybe in the final. No, you want to make sure that they meet, and they did, and they wanted to have Yukon and USC meet. So it's Pagebackers against Juju Watkins. And look that USC team is really really good team between UCLA and USC, really really talented, deep teams, and you know, it just a shame because you want to see the great players. But this hurt the sport last night, and even after Yukon won in page Beckers in her final home appearance at thirty four, It's like, hey, we got to wrap this up to gino oriema because USC and Juju are going to start. He goes, oh, well, let's wrap it up now. I want to go watch her. This is what it sounded like last night when she ended her tournament. Rustill top of the.
Speaker 4: Key, down the left side of the lane, goes on. I say, down the light side of the lane and she grabs her luck mee.
Speaker 5: As she goes down, Lokins is holding the underside of her lucktney and a lot of pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably a torn acl. They'll do an MRI if they haven't already done it. Maybe let the swelling go down. Here's her head coach, Lisa Gottlieb on the injury.
Speaker 6: I don't have an update on Jiuju because I know that's what you all want to know, other than what the statement that was put out at halftime that she's getting incredible medical care from our you know, Kech Medicine and the people at USC and our trainers and doctors. But I am, I mean, I'm feeling a lot of emotions.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 6: I don't think I'll you know, forget forget this night for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 2: Uh. So that's you know that that's your tournament, uh where you're get caught up in the emotion of it, but you still have to think of your players. And that's what that's what was happening last night. This was a loss for the itself. So she's out, but Yukon advances. I'm watching LSU against Florida State. I think it was a one point game at half time. Next thing I know, LSU's up like thirty. I'm like, what happened?
Speaker 7: What happened?
Speaker 2: So you know, there's a lot of momentum around the women's tournament. And did I have coach Gottlieb's name right, Marvin Lindsay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, what did I say, Lisa?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, Lindsay Gottlieb, the USC head coach, my bad e on me? All right, Well, I have a poll question here coming up, phone calls as well, a couple other things. It's mandatory, I think to a quarterback on his pro day that you roll left and throw back right and throw for sixty yards to a receiver that nobody's covering. And you know it's the Zach Wilson, you know, Mahomes did this too, where you go, oh my god, did you see that? I think it happens a lot more with a lot of these quarterbacks. Most of them can throw the ball fifty to sixty yards. Is it tough going left and throwing back right? Yes, but I am assuming that most of these guys have pretty good arms to play the position. And you saw that with cam Ward yesterday. It's oh my god, look at that. It's the role left, throwback right, and that's all you need. Now, now we can solidify cam Ward is the number one overall pick. Here is cam Ward talking about going to the Titans.
Speaker 8: I said, I'm solidifying today.
Speaker 9: They heard it, they heard me, So I guess off that tip. The Titans obviously have the number one overall pick. They like you, they've had you in the building. What did you want to show them today.
Speaker 10: I said, only showing number. Every other team just thrown on rhythm. Well, there's three steps on rhythm, five steps on rhythm for under end, the gun, heavy play action, you know, gun.
Speaker 8: Five with movement outside of the five.
Speaker 10: Just showing them all, you know, under center or stuff that I didn't get to sow as much as during the season.
Speaker 8: Let her know that I'm capable of it.
Speaker 2: The gun five, I'm ready, sign me up. He's got me, got my attention. He was very confident yesterday. And if you're an NFL team like you want that. You want the confidence of hey, there you go, take me and unless somebody else wants to trade Hub for me. And I started to think about this that cam Ward you know now is when you got people's jobs on the line. This is where you get real analysis behind the scenes. I'm not talking that was courtesy of the NFL network. This is about people who are going to tell the team yes or no. Because let's go back to Shador and cam Ward Man one two. I don't know is it Shador, cam is it camp all along? It feels like those who do this for a living thought cam Ward was a different quarterback than Shador Sanders. And that's why you saw Jackson Dart start to move up. It's because when the professionals get in there, not us the armchair analyst or scouts, you get the people who are really making decisions for their teams and jobs are on the line. That's why you get sometimes this separation where you go, well, wait a minute, now, Shoud or Sanders might not go in the first round, but wait, they were one two. Well, it's because these are the people who do this. They get paid to do this. Their jobs are at stake when they do this. Now you get it. It's becoming real, and you're going to have other draft picks who might be rising or falling. But it's because now the real people are analyzing this. And I was wondering about this with Shadoor Sanders. Cleveland needs a quarterback, right Cleveland does need a quarterback.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I've been told that Kirk Cousins is probably still going to be in Cleveland at some point after the draft, depending on what Cleveland does. If Cleveland doesn't take Shador Sanders, to me, that says they're going to get Kirk Cousins because maybe they don't fill Shadore as a franchise quarterback. Maybe you get Travis Hunter, maybe you get Abdull Carter, maybe get somebody who's going to play. Imagine Abdul Carter with that team with Miles Garrett. Okay, got my attention. I don't know if Shador Sanders can play right now, and Cleveland needs a quarterback, Okay, then you would think they would take Shador Sanders. I still think that Kirk Cousins now he has no trade and I think eventually after the draft he would go to the Falcons and say I would like to be traded.
Speaker 3: You know, he's getting paid to be.
Speaker 2: A backup quarterback, getting paid handsomely to be a backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: But I was just I would just keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: You know, the Giants need a quarterback too, Do they take Shador Sanders if Cleveland doesn't feels like he's.
Speaker 3: Going to go to the Giants. But then you have analysts at.
Speaker 2: The Mothership who's saying late first round, maybe a second day draft pick. So that's a wide disparity here, and that's why you got teams that hit on draft picks and teams that whiff because of these opinions right now. And that's what's interesting but also scary where you go we're looking you know, when you go to an art museum and you're looking at the same painting and you're going, what is that? Or you get somebody to go, oh, it's beautiful. We're looking at the same thing, but you see it differently than I do. And I still think that they're you know, Schador may have a comeback here. You know, he had the smear campaign that I talked about. Now he might have a little revitalization here where it's like he'll come back. They'll talk about his personality, they'll talk about his talents.
Speaker 3: You know, this is when he might have.
Speaker 2: A comeback of swords, which is still weird because he hasn't played a game in months. But this is when it's really interesting in this world. And thankfully I have somebody that I've trusted for years now to just help me look at We're looking at the same thing. It's you know, I brought this up when he said Michael Parsons is the best player in the draft. He said, but there's baggage that goes along with him. When he said Quentin Nelson at Notre Dame is the meanest guy in the draft, he'll be a Hall of Famer. Okay, Well he ended up being He's been pretty good, and Michael Parson's been pretty good. But I think that's the key is I just want somebody who does this for a little They know what they're looking at.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'll go back to when we were.
Speaker 2: Whose pro day was it that we were told later that he got pushed around. Went to the Texans Jadevion Clowning, and I remember everybody was like gushing, and so I end up talking to my source and he goes, no lower body, and I go uh, and he goes, he'll get pushed around. He had one incredible play in a bowl game and everybody thought, oh my gosh, can you imagine maybe that single number two always looks intimidating seven? Yeah, like, man, he's wearing seven, he must be really good. And Jadeveon Clowney has had a decent professional career, but nowhere near living up to the hype of what his pro day was. And here's somebody telling you his lower body he doesn't have a you know, you can move him. That was the expression, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: The measurables for him too, like oh he's six five two seventy and he could run a four to four whatever he ran and that big hit. It all kind of came together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one play and it was like, man, I'm sold. Wait came in unblocked, I think right. It was just he ran and hit the Michigan running back and you're like, yeah, well, I want to know, can you make moves? Can you overpower somebody to make those plays? If you just give him a free head, start free run at him. Looking back on it, maybe not as impressive, yeah, seton. To be fair, it wasn an awesome play. It was a HOLI a hit.
Speaker 4: It was, And there are a million dudes in the world who don't outlive the hype of one great play in college. He seems to wear that more than anybody. But there are a lot of people. Did Desmond Howard really become a better pro than he was in college? Probably not. There's a million dudes like that. But for some reason, Jadevan Clowney is like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, but nobody gushed over Desmond Howard's pro day. The Mothership sent a team for his pro day. Yeah, I look at it as the hype look at him. Hell yeah, of course. Yes, dude looks like a superhero. He's like straight out of a Marvel movie. Yes, but they weren't looking at him as a football player, you know, the way some scouts did that he he can be overpowered because he has no lower byty, Like I never would have thought that, But I got guys from the Mothership who just said, oh my god, I remember that afternoon. They were You know, this is one of the great pro days of all time. It's in the eye of the beholder. That's the tricky part of this. I watched cam Ward play at three different colleges and I wanted him like he had the ball and he was going to make a play a winner. I would say he's he reminds me a little of Air McNair that he just he knows how to play football. He knows how to play the position. I don't know if he's going to be as good as Air McNair, but that's the feeling I got when I watch him, Like there are just certain guys where you go, he'll somehow find a way to win. Yeah.
Speaker 11: The clowney hit was against Michigan and the Outback Bowl and the running back was Vincent Smith. Yeah, I'm watching the play. It looks like something in a sports movie about football where there's a guy that's too big and you'd make look what he did. Yeah, does look real?
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. We'll settle on a poll question for the first hour. Time is next hour. We'll take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the Nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us.
Speaker 13: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why did you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 8: So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show. Just search coven on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I have early basketball lines for March Madness, Arizona getting nine and a half against Duke Michigan State. We'll talk to Tom Izzo coming up next hour, and they're favored by two and a half BYU getting five and a half against Alabama, Maryland six and a half against Florida. The biggest margin is Arizona versus Duke Perdue getting eight and a half against Houston, Michigan eight and a half against Auburn, Kentucky four and a half against See Arkansas is getting five and a half against Texas Tech. Hmmm yeah, Paul.
Speaker 11: What I love debating on these different schools is are they a basketball school or a football school? Because Arizona they've had some success in football, but they're a basketball school.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 11: How about Arkansas? Is that a football school or a basketball school?
Speaker 2: Well, they would want to say they're a football school, but they're a basketball school. That's right, yes, Ole miss I would say that's still a football school. Kentucky still a basketball school, no matter what, still a basketball school. Michigan football school, Purdue basketball school.
Speaker 3: Right, Maryland neither basketball school.
Speaker 4: Oh no, yeah, Maryland's a school school.
Speaker 2: Alabama obviously a football school. Greg Sanke, the SEC commissioner, will join us tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Texas Tech h See, Texas Tech is.
Speaker 2: Like they're sneaky basketball, but they really want to be a football kind of sneaky football it Waivers Duke Obviously basketball Tennessee. Tennessee's had success, but it's still about that's football.
Speaker 3: Auburn I know, Oh no, they hate that down there.
Speaker 2: They see themselves as a football school, but but they're good in basketball.
Speaker 4: That's like the best slight you could possibly not bad for a basketball school.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine waking up to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How about Houston?
Speaker 2: Hello, Houston's basketball.
Speaker 11: They waivered to being a football school a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they've always been a basketball school. Go back to Fi Slama Jama, go back to Elvin Hayes. I mean for decades they've they've had and Calvin Sampson has them usually in the elite eight year and in year out Sweet sixteen Final four. At least the potential for that. Yeah, I think yes, Marvin, Texas.
Speaker 7: A and M they want to be a football school.
Speaker 3: It's still football.
Speaker 7: I mean, but they're better year in a year out in basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they want to be a football school.
Speaker 7: Oh, I know, I know what you want to be. I want to be an NBA player, but I'm a Dane.
Speaker 2: How about Baylor, oh Man, they won a national title in basketball? You had RG three winning a Heisman. There, Its like they might be basketball.
Speaker 4: I mean even women's basketball.
Speaker 2: They've basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I love the topic.
Speaker 11: WHI could do all that. If you're an Arkansas sports fan, you want to be a football school. I think if you asked an Arkansas sports fan, would you rather win the national title in basketball or the SEC in football? I think they take the SEC, not the national title football, just the SEC.
Speaker 2: I don't want to speak for them. I don't, especially especially at some of these programs. I want to stay in my lane on this one. But I just from a you know, a neutral observer, I would say Arkansas wants to be a football school, but they're a basketball school. I mean, they go back to Nolan Richardson. I mean, they've had really good schools, really good football teams at Arkansas. Arizona baseball school, kind of a baseball school Sham's made it official that Juju Watkins suffered a torn acl and she will undergo surgery. All right, we knew that. The question is when she undergoes surgery and that timeframe too of coming back. But it used to be that was just a death sentence for an athlete. You know, if you looked at the financial part of this, where you go, gosh, they're not going to make that money going into the pros. She's making millions of dollars right now, and she actually making more money now than she would going into the WNBA. Her salary is not going to be great in the WNBA. She'll still get endorsements, but she's the face of a sport and now she has to come back and become that face again. And you know, there are still women's college basketball. You know, you have star power. It feels like all over the country here and Paige Becker's with her final call of you know, maybe winning a national championship. But yeah, that was a devastating injury. And you watch the play and she kind of got book ended by two defenders there then went down and you know, they an athlete knows when you get hurt, you know, it's just and having done this to my knee A couple of times, I was running in Central Park and I was running with somebody. I said, I I just tore a ligament, and he goes, how do you know? I said, I I know, I just I need I'm going to need knee surgery. And walked around that whole night in New York and then the next day went to doctor and he said, you need to have surgery right right away. You just know it, you feel it because it's something different.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you'll hear somebody say I heard a pop. You know that definitely. I've been on a basketball floor where a guy blew out both achilles on the floor and we were in Denver and it was a pop hoop and he didn't even know it, Like it's one one of those where he looked around and we realized what had happened, blew out both of his achilles.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Paul, you know what's the exact opposite of that, I think is the ankle. Again, I didn't play high end sports, but sometimes you see an athlete get an ankle injury and you look like, oh, they're out for a month, and then they're back in in the fourth quarter, like Jason Tatum last night. If you looked at his injury and you're a Celtics fan, you're like, oh my gosh, he's done. And then he walked calmly, gingerly to the locker room. Ankles seemed to be very You can't tell what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Well with an ankle.
Speaker 2: You know, I've had ankle springs from high school that I that they're still alive, that I can twist my ankle because I had a really bad sprained ankle in high school. It just that never goes away. So when you get when you heal from it. There's certain injuries where you healed, but you don't heal all the way bad back like you can be like, hey, I'm feeling better. That doesn't mean it won't come back yes time.
Speaker 7: And then there's somebody like turf toe, which could be very painful, but to the average fan it's like, really, you're not gonna play it because of the turf toe.
Speaker 3: Come on, well, I remember, you know.
Speaker 2: Jack Lambert played for the Steelers, one of the toughest guys who ever played in the NFL, and his career was derailed by turf toe and like when you hear turf toe, you're like, would it like, come on, turf toe? And then you see Dion Sanders take his shoes and socks off and showed us what turf toe looked like, and then he got it amputated. So it's no joke. But it's one of those where you go turf toe or planter fascy itis, you're like a Liz Frank injury.
Speaker 3: He has Paul.
Speaker 11: Turf toe, by definition, is an extreme strain in the ligaments behind the toe, if left untreated, can cause long term stiffness and even there's bigger words, but where it kind of fixes your toe in a certain position and you can't move it anymore.
Speaker 3: David in Arkansas, Hi, David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Good morning, gentlemen. I was very much interested in the conversation you know we're having there about is Arkansas a football school or a basketball school? Okay, As a lifelong razorbacksan, I can remember when we were definitely football and Barnhill Arena was actually our old basketball facility. You know, the team football team would have indoor practice in there.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, no, hold on, David, I remember Arkansas playing Texas you know in a national title game. I remember that. I go back a long ways. I'm talking about right now. Is Arkansas a basketball scorer? Football school?
Speaker 14: Right now?
Speaker 15: We're basketball with Okay.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. What do you want to be though?
Speaker 16: Everything?
Speaker 2: Because no, David, you got Marvin hung up on him. That wasn't hang up worthy. Austin In, Illinois, High Austin, what's on your mind? Yeah, you're taking me back to the sixties with Arkansas sports. Hey Austin.
Speaker 17: Hey, fella's five nine six five.
Speaker 14: In Indiana now.
Speaker 17: A football school, they don't.
Speaker 18: They're sure of the Big Ten conferences heavier in football at this point than it is in basketball.
Speaker 3: I would say, right now, football school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: However, Indiana sports fans would disband the football program to make the basketball program a national power again.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but they don't seem like they're close. So I mean football team made the playoffs. You know, it's tough sledding to try to keep up with those other schools in the Big Ten football wise, basketball wise, you would think they.
Speaker 3: Would be able to do that.
Speaker 2: But here you are firing your coach didn't make the tournament. But I would say, yeah, right, And I'm not talking about historically. I'm talking about right now. Are you a football school? Are you a basketball school? Yes, Martin.
Speaker 7: I think the dream scenario is Florida when Florida was with Urban Meyer and then basketball had Billy Donovan, Joe Kim Noah A. We're winning national championships in both sports. A pick whichever one.
Speaker 2: We're great in both Tony and Kentucky? Hi, Tony, what's on your Mind's?
Speaker 15: Good?
Speaker 19: Man?
Speaker 17: But I just wanted to be in on the Jadejo Clowney talk you guys had. Yeah, I don't think run a big as big as the Rens, and it not done for the player right before that where it was like the first then but not the first then and spur you a little crazy. They do his thing and he's the only got really big.
Speaker 2: Okay, But if I took away that play from Jadeveon Clowney his college career, maybe it's easier for him to be a good player in the NFL. Like we we were waiting for superhero stuff and it just never happened. You You looked at him and you go, oh my gosh, who's going to block him? And he never lived up to that one tackle that he had, and he treated the running back from Michigan like at Rockham Sockham Robots, where you hit him and then all of a sudden the head goes.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, back in your wheelhouse. Let's go Mark in Arkansas. He would be Markansaw.
Speaker 14: Exactly. A first time caller, long time listener. Five. There we go. Hey, As much as we would love to be a football school or thought as a basketball school, to be perfectly honest, we're a track and field school. We have more track and field titles than anybody in country.
Speaker 2: And I know it, but Mark, you don't want to be a track and field school. I mean, I know you're winning, but you're you don't want to be known as a track and field school.
Speaker 14: Only we're one hundred percent right. It's it's football. It is absolutely football. Football is king and we all know that. But we're also an excellent baseball progam I just want to, you know, toutor our horn a little bit. Nobody talks about our dragon field.
Speaker 19: No.
Speaker 2: Cali Perry talked about the baseball team yesterday. You want to be a football school, You're a basketball school. Your success has been basketball, not football, totally agree.
Speaker 14: And I'll tell you what Calipari has done. An amazing job. What an amazing job he's done.
Speaker 3: Did you think that after he started doing five?
Speaker 17: Though?
Speaker 14: Mark, I actually was not worried. I really wasn't. Had that very conversation with a friend of mine. He thought, Caliperi And forgive me for saying this un national television thought he was done. I said, no way, this guy's got a lot to prove, a lot to prove.
Speaker 3: How's that football team at Arkansas going to do?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mark, SEC Commissioner Greg Sank on the program tomorrow. SEC is not now a basketball conference? There, Sean and Florida, Hi, Sean, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Go Gators?
Speaker 19: Is what's on my mind?
Speaker 18: Dan?
Speaker 19: Sweet sixteen bound yet again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 19: And I think Marvin hit it on the head when he said Florida is the only school that can claim and I think we are right now a basketball and football school. DJ Lagway is going to be a superstar next year. And I just wanted to say, go Gators, you have a good one, happy college basketball Sweet sixteen week.
Speaker 3: Let's go, Thanks Sean, thank you.
Speaker 2: Sean, Floor's basketball ish basketball ish? I mean they had when you had Donovan there in urban There. I mean that that was a powerhouse there. But a lot of schools, you know, you put your nil into one sport now, I don't know how it's going to be with other Like Michigan State's a basketball school. They want to be football, but they're a basketball school. But you know, I don't know what their nil is, what they're collectible is, I don't I don't know that. But tom Izzo doesn't get the big time star. I mean, you got Jason Richardson's son, because Jason Richardson played at Michigan State, and Jason is going to be probably a lottery pick here. But you know, these schools who have money, where's your money going? If you said, hey, we got twenty one million dollars, most of these schools are going to spend seventeen to eighteen million dollars on their football team. That's what's going to happen. If they you know, you have a salary cap with nil, most of that money is going to go to football. All right, Well take a break, just getting started.
Speaker 19: Huh.
Speaker 2: We got everybody fired up now all over the country. We're not a football We're not a basket balls, track and if you go to track and field, that's what you want to be known for. Just because you're winning championships. I mean, is somebody calling in from Ucla for water polo.
Speaker 3: Let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 11: Oh my God, the.
Speaker 3: Play of the day ter left.
Speaker 12: My God play This is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 5: Thanks to his left gets it to Booker cross cord. He drives to the right side, pull up jumper at the bucket. Booker knots it down with one point seven second stop to get the Sons a two point lead. Run a late one oh six and a time out for the Bucks. Devin Booker from the mid range. He's got nineteen on the night.
Speaker 2: Courtesy of the Sun's radio network. The Sons have won four in a row and right now in the final spot in the Western Conference play in Tournament. It's your play of the day, brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life, affordable paint, chopsight collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh, better get Maco Seaton. What's the pole question from the first hour? If you lived in Arkansas?
Speaker 4: Would you rather a national title in basketball or an SEC title in football?
Speaker 2: It's very narrow, very niche pole question. There anything that sort of representative of a larger base.
Speaker 4: Right now, the seventy three percent would rather win the SEC title? Is that a national title in basketball?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, I think if you know, you could say that to a lot of different athletic directors, like privately, would you rather win the SEC championship in football or a national title in basketball? Randy in Washington? Hi Randy, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hi?
Speaker 18: Pat? This is Randy Bellvilly up out of Blaytane, Washington. First time caller. I'm five ten, two hundred and twenty pounds.
Speaker 2: All righty awesome.
Speaker 18: So I was kind of curious Oregon's been to the NCAA tournament. You know, I think, what like nine times of the last eleven years. But are they football or are they basketball?
Speaker 17: Or are they both?
Speaker 2: They are football when you think but when you think Oregon, you think football. You think they're uniforms now. They've had good players there, they've had good tournament runs. But Oregon to me, would be a football school. Eric in Michigan, Hi, Eric, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hi?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was thinking just this year because Michigan State had a very good hockey team. You could consider them as a hockey team this year as well as that squall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to, I'm just saying, from the outside looking in, Michigan State is a basketball school. Joe in Los Angeles, Hi, Joe, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: By good morning DP, Good morning.
Speaker 14: Five eight one fifty. Thank you.
Speaker 18: As a proud UCLA alumni, I just want to go on the.
Speaker 17: Record saying that ucle is neither a football nor a basketball school.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Joe. They got a lot of banners there, but you know, like every couple of years they kind of pop up and you go, all right, make a little tournament run here. Football was They're still trying to figure that out, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 11: Going back to Oregon, ironically, they are or were and still are a huge track and field school. Sure, but the reason they became a great football school because their track and field team produced Phil Knight, who became Nike who put up all the money for them to become a football school.
Speaker 2: Phil Nike Robert in Portland. Hi, Robert, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey guys, how you doing quick?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Just to follow up on this conversation, it's hard to argue that a school, you know, especially a big time program, isn't or doesn't want to be a football school. But given this past weekend with the NCAA Wrestling Championships, which were phenomenal by the way, I don't know if you guys saw that heavyweight match, but is Penn State just given their sheer dominance over the last fifteen years. I think they've won twelve of the last fifteen national titles. Could they be considered or are they considered now a wrestling school?
Speaker 3: No, they're a football school.
Speaker 2: You can be successful as a baseball school at track and field, water Pool, but the outside perception or viewpoint is Penn State.
Speaker 3: You think football?
Speaker 2: Ye, not enough people are following college wrestling, so there's other and you know people are going to call and say, hey, what about Florida State baseball? Yes, Florida State's football school. It's all That's what we're We're just we were looking at the Sweet sixteen of schools of what they want to be, what they are. Like, the reality at Arkansas is you're a basketball school. You want to be a football school, and occasionally you are, but you're a basketball school. You've had great success and recent success. Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 11: If you go back to wrestling, I would say Oklahoma State University and Iowa historically are the biggest wrestling schools. Penn State the last decade has been awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jeff in Ohio, Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind?
Speaker 2: Hey jeff.
Speaker 14: Man, Jeff, this is Jim not Jeff.
Speaker 2: Oh well, my apologies. I'm going to fire Tyler.
Speaker 18: Hey what about Crappensburg State?
Speaker 14: Is it considered a bas tomorrow football school?
Speaker 4: It's a great, great question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well let me ask uh Seaton, who is uh you know, a proud donor to Crappensburg State. Well, Todd is a proud donor to Crappensburg. He's got buildings named after him. There two floors. Yes, Uh, Crappensburg State baseball powerhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody knows that.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We have the runs. Yeah, also golf, yeah, actually huge baseball powerhouse. Yeah. Yeah, the Dukes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Crapensburg State Duchies.
Speaker 8: You know how to turn to.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd Uh Andy in West Virginia, West Virginia basketball school or a football school, Seaton.
Speaker 4: They're a party school these days. They are a party school.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You guys can win a national championship and that. Yeah, Andy, what do you have for me?
Speaker 14: Well, that's correct, absolu they seed and uh I can I can buck that? Uh. First of all, thanks to taking my call day in a Ka Pat, But I just wanted to touch with the uh.
Speaker 15: With THEE.
Speaker 14: Watkins injury. My daughter, she's a senior this year. Remember the day that she was a sophomore, my son had a varsity game in the name gim They were practicing in the box gym. Anyway, went in, they said she was hurt. She said, she said us up, Pop, I was, uh, you know, I'm the dad that you know shaken off anyway Up. It ended up being a torn a c l Amazing what they can do now, the rehabits about eight months. We got a great doctor in our area, Chad laughter. He uh, he does surgery on a lot of people, a lot of athletes. But anyway, just seeing that go down.
Speaker 13: Uh, it was.
Speaker 14: It was tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know this sport lost last night when when she's not in and was looking forward to USC versus Connecticut rematch.
Speaker 3: But you know it's eight months from right now.
Speaker 2: If everything goes right, you can have the best doctors, you know, unless you're doing something you know that's in innovative medicine.
Speaker 3: You're doing something like Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Did you know with his rehab with his torn achilles you know it's going to take you quite some time the rehab coming back from that.
Speaker 3: Tough to watch last night.
Speaker 2: Michigan State head coach Tom Is coming up, would he agree Michigan State is a basketball school or a football school? More phone calls as well, people fired up? Is your school a basketball school or a football school? Hour two on the way right after this