Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: Everyone, thanks for joining us. I am back today with the incredible Lena Waite.
Speaker 2: Lena, let's just jump right back in.
Speaker 1: I think I talked about this in the podcast, so forgive me everyone listening if I did. But when we first shot, I want to say the first episode back from.
Speaker 2: The pilot, Oh, I love that you guys in.
Speaker 1: The cab scene was great, But the scene with the guy, so I basically we're we're setting up Charlotte to be the one who wants to get married. Right. So I've said that you haven't seen a lot of it, but it's the beginning, right, And so I have the scene where with him where I'm like, you know, no one's gonna marry missus up the butt, dude. Do you remember this scene?
Speaker 2: It's like, this is embarrassing.
Speaker 1: So I had done it once and I had cried and we had to refilm it, which is the only time in my career I've had to reshoot a scene based on my performance. I remember Darren coming to me and saying, you here so upset, and I'm like, what what do you mean? Because I've been acting class forever where you had to put the stakes high for everything I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So they thought it was too dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they thought I was too upset.
Speaker 1: He was like, there's another guy around the corner, and I was like, what there is? Because for me as a person, me Kristen, I don't really operate that way, and I certainly didn't. Then I remember Jaren being.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you don't care that much.
Speaker 1: You don't care that much, and I'm like, oh, I thought. You know, my lines are like I want to get married and now it's not going to work out because he wants to do this thing and I don't want to do it. He was like, ah, you know, another guy around the corner.
Speaker 2: Just be just careless. So I was like, okay, bizarre careless, I know. But I didn't really.
Speaker 1: Understand that the show was really going to be like a lot of dating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's your character a while to get to the.
Speaker 1: Wedding, and rightly, so you know, rightly, So.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I think ultimately it does depend on what you want or how you want to live. But I think it's something that people are afraid to talk about when they're dating because a lot of women are taught from birth.
Speaker 3: To want to get married and have kids.
Speaker 2: This is true, and so I think that's why Charlotte is such a beautiful representation of a woman wanting to be in you know what was it Architectial Digest was it or which magazine?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: When? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And what I love about you know that it was a beautiful episode, you know, when it's the end of the marriage really and he comes in to take the photo and sort.
Speaker 3: Of this last kindness to you.
Speaker 2: But what I loved about it, even as a young person watching that, it was Michael Patrick King or the writer saying, these images you see in these magazines are just that, they're an image, and and I thought it was so special that we the audience know what's happening with you, you know, and and and Trey and but we know that the public will get that magazine and thinkous I want that, not knowing and.
Speaker 1: Say like, oh that had been I want that.
Speaker 2: I want that money. Yeah, yeah, I want what she has absolutely because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, that's the trap of getting and that that was Charlotte's trap, which I think was of course great on Michael Patrick's that was his Oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, yeah, so beautifully done, expertly done.
Speaker 1: Right, you're gonna want this thing and you're gonna make me get it perfect, and it's gonna look perfect, but it's not gonna actually.
Speaker 2: Be it, yeah, which is which is a lesson. He sort of all these these bread crimes that you guys were leaving us and saying that he may look great, and they all seem wonderful, but you know, when you really look underneath the rug, what's there. And also it's so interesting too, is because obviously Mark Kntone's character is saying, like, all right, we'll do it solo. You know we're not gonna he's not coming, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: She takes the photo by herself.
Speaker 2: It's great and just the idea of what if you did do it by yourself, and so many young girls look at that image and go, huh, definitely there's no guy in the frame.
Speaker 1: That would have been awesome, that would have been powerful, It would have been very powerful.
Speaker 2: But he's saying, you wanted me here, you wanted to do this, right, you want this picture, I'm going to give it to you.
Speaker 1: Which is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but all you have is that just the picture exactly.
Speaker 2: But it is.
Speaker 1: You know, let's talk about Michael Patrick for a second.
Speaker 3: Yes, you great, love so much.
Speaker 1: So tell me about you got the DVDs that had the commentary.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I was working at Blockbuster, which tells you how long ago this was, and I would rent those seasons, you know, television, and because that's how you watch things again, you have to get DVDs, And so I was really and so that's how I kind of got to figure out which seasons I really liked, you know, and so I was like, oh, like three, I like four. You know, those two seasons in particular really spoke to me. And so there were certain episodes he would like cover an arc, you know. And what was really helpful for me was hearing him talk about Carrie's like dissent. Wow, you know, He's like, Okay, she's got this great guy. Aiden is amazing, wonderful. They're great. And then what rears its ugly head that past that guy that she couldn't have, that didn't give her what she wanted. That is that temptation. And he sort of talks about like she does the wrong thing. She's always using the smoking cigarettes as a metaphor, like she sort of gives up smoking, like Aiden is like, that's not healthy. And also what is he saying, I want to have a place for us, all the things that mister Big didn't give her, And so I think it's just him talking about that and running through I'm thinking, oh, wow, that's such an interesting character thing or oh, she has the thing she wants, but she's sabotaging it for some reason.
Speaker 3: And I can't even think about that.
Speaker 2: As an adult, but I'm thinking about its story wise, how smart it was. And also in adding you know when she's like she goes to the other side of the other apartment that they're trying to Yeah, yeah, but it's at the end. And so Michael Patrick King says, we had to make sure people knew that her and Aiden were broken up, but we have to figure that out because they're laying together, and then he says, so we added the voiceover the next day Aiden moves out, moved out, but him just giving me that because I wouldn't have known that. I was thinking, oh, that's so powerful, punching the gut like, oh, he's gone, He's not gonna be And Michael Patrick saus we added that in the last moment. Right, he's also showing me this is how we can use voiceover. It's not a lazy thing at all. It's a way for you to understand what's happening and the weight of it, you know, to see these two people holding each other, and then you hear and the next day he moved out and you're like, oh man, and that Those are the moments that I think I really learned about writing for an audience where you make them care so much about this relationship, this marriage, this couple, and so to the end of it feels like a break up for you. You feel like you're going through it. You feel like we're going through your divorce. We feel like we're watching you, like struggle to get pregnant. All these different things like when you follow behind Miranda, you know what I'm saying, even though she didn't turn back, she knew she was there. So he's reminding us of Look, they are in relationships with each other. And the thing is they not having sex our relationships they have, they're they're learning how to be in those relationships by how they show up for each other.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's really well put, really well put, and I love that this episode. You remember in this episode.
Speaker 2: Miranda she makes the call. They don't tell us who she's calling. I literally thought that and I should know. I mean, it's beautiful writing. That's he's hiding, and it's like that she's there, and that cut of the image of Miranda like sort of saying like I'm sorry, like that was my stuff.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't have done it.
Speaker 2: And that's why I really think he's teaching women how to be good friends to each other. These all the writers are you know, they're the actors. You are showing us. Hey, sometimes you got to say I'm in the wrong. And there's iconic fights between Kerry and Miranda, like those incredible relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also did not really realize until I'm rewatching, like the through line of their relationship from the beginning is incredible, insane, and sometimes I will.
Speaker 2: Not just single for you, Miranda totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, so many moments, so.
Speaker 3: Many when they're at the thrift shop.
Speaker 2: She's like the rift shop incredibly. Also, I love y'all's argument though, like to like before you give her the ring, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. I mean, yeah, I don't mean to diminish my own part, but like I always feel jealous when we're doing it, just like that if I see on the call she that that the two of them have walked up, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Why am I not there?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Why not there? But now I understand more why I'm not there. Like they have a thing.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's indeed big.
Speaker 1: And interesting thing. And they're so different, but they're also so similar. Miranda is kind of the only one who really tells Carrie the truth, like the truth, and the only one that she might listen to. You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's interesting, but also it's a showing of like if Carrie is all of us. We know, there are certain friends you go to for certain things, and there are other friends that you don't go to for certain.
Speaker 3: Things, you know. And so it's like she tells Samantha.
Speaker 2: That she cheated, right, that's who she's at the present, Yes, absolutely, and you know, and she's like, don't you want to judge me? And she's like, not my style, you know, and gives her the wink, right, you know, and the wink comes back in the movie, you know, like in Mexico, you know, and so Encyclopedia no, you know. But also, but the thing with the money, you know, when she's about to literally get kicked out of her house, you know, and she's looking at the fact that Charlotte is fine, you know, and doing well. And I love that when you know, Carrie is like, you got this apartment for free, like you have to do work for this, and you're like, I earned this, girl, Like, don't blame me. I went through a lot to get this to get here, I know. And and also but you're saying, like, you know, you bring up your parents, they're a little bit talk about your dad. My dad never talk about money with friends. And that's a real thing. It's a real thing. It's a real thing, you know. But then for you to give her the ring, it's almost like we are married, you know, we are in the marriage, we are exactly you know. And so she's like, you know, it's because she didn't ruin your wedding that day, no, you know what I mean, when she was going through what she she's going through. And then when you no longer are married, you're like, here, take this, so you got somewhere to live.
Speaker 3: And I think that to me is such a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Forceful I mean, there's so much talk to you about I barely reach out.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 2: I know we're going through the whole season, all of them.
Speaker 1: I know. I know one thing I love, I mean, and I mean some of it is just like memory, you know, I love the memories and this also can I say. I don't know if you ever ever met the director Alan Culter, did you ever have me? Oh my god, I want to have him on because he is also he Carrie runs into him on the street him, he is on the street. I don't know why he's he's such a character and he really you know, when you have those directors who inject like a new element that then changes forever the show. He was one of those. Like he came in and he's very I mean, he's intense, and almost every time he would threaten to quit just because like we are always and still are very over ambitious in our in our desires of what we want to film in the time and money that we have. So it's always a stress, what I'm saying. And we used to film all night, you know, many times a week. Yeah, it was hard. It was hard, but we loved it, right, But I mean for the director trying to he had high, high hopes you know what I'm trying to say. He set the bar high, and he used to say to us, one of the best things you ever said to me, at least was walk slow, talk fast, because we have so many walking talks.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, but.
Speaker 1: You have to make it seem like you're walking fast, but you can't really walk fast because we can't cover that much territory with the camera, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So you had.
Speaker 1: To separate your your vote voice, your vocals from your feet, which is hard because usually you walk fast and you talk fast together. But you had to separate, like like padding.
Speaker 2: That's crazy because you guys are walking so much.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly so. But he had a great His rhythms really affected me, and I think all of us, like when I.
Speaker 2: Look at that episode, is really pacing is great.
Speaker 1: It's pacing is.
Speaker 2: Great and also so neutrik too, because like, you guys are still doing the thing of breaking the fourth wall. But what was interesting by that episode is that it's like people on the street. They were good, they were fantastic. They were so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like for me, I because in the first season I'm like, oh god, not again.
Speaker 2: Did you guys try to figure it out totally.
Speaker 1: And Sara Jessica never wanted to do that.
Speaker 2: Oh, never wanted to do not like it? No, well it went away by three. Yes, And maybe that's it's interesting because that's where it's kind of like, guys, this is not a TV show.
Speaker 1: This is strange for the main character.
Speaker 3: For the main character. Yeah, but that's why. That's why I like in this episode.
Speaker 2: That it was not the people of the baseball game.
Speaker 3: It was nice.
Speaker 2: It was great, and they were.
Speaker 1: Funny and interesting and I liked it a lot too. And I loved that whole baseball thing. I remember going there.
Speaker 2: It was freezing. It was February.
Speaker 1: We went to where they used to play the US Open and like Flushing because it was empty, you know, we needed an empty stadium. And I got lost, which is really common. It was back before we had security, so you could just be wandering around, you know, so you got lost on aud Yeah, like trying to find the way in or whatever. It was like a big empty stadium and there was no PA with me or.
Speaker 2: This is there's no.
Speaker 1: They just lost track of me. I was I was missing and I was just walking and walking. I think I had my cell phone and the big big old cell phones, and I think I called Cynthia.
Speaker 2: Like where are you guys?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: And then we were up in those stands for like a long time and it was cold. Go back in February. She wouldn't come on till June's. We had to pretend like.
Speaker 2: It was this when I'm dealing with the shot, like we're like, Okay, we're gonna we're gonna make it real.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make the weather real.
Speaker 2: You tho, I'm kind of like, oh, I don't want to be outside of everybody that like Lena.
Speaker 3: Is deal with it.
Speaker 1: I mean that's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna play it for winter though, because we're not trying to be toolls. But that's us.
Speaker 3: It didn't look cold, you guys tricked me.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean she had the first on that.
Speaker 1: Yes she has she has that vintage for she of course she has everything in her story.
Speaker 3: Oh, she got all of it. That cold is.
Speaker 1: I know that coat is good. I know that code is good. They had to retire it because people got upset with us about it.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it too, obviously, but it's still iconic.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, I have to look at the notes because I'm sure there's something really important that we're not covering. Oh, I have that man who wants to adjust himself.
Speaker 3: Which is so interesting as a woman who doesn't date men.
Speaker 2: It's that thing of going like, I'm glad these are things that one doesn't have to deal.
Speaker 1: With totally totally. I also think it's funny because like Charlotte is so into manners, right, of course it would really bug her, but also it's funny that it also bugs Samantha. It seems to bug everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, it's interesting, It's it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Also Smith this dealing with her own issue with the guy with the smile.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it feels so bad for her in this one. And I had forgotten actor, so really bad for that actor. And he's so so sweet.
Speaker 3: Y'all do the guy so dirty?
Speaker 1: I mean, let me tell you.
Speaker 3: I mean, once y'all get the husbands, you know you got you, guys.
Speaker 1: Still feel like they feel sometimes lesser, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, Harry, I mean, look, he was Harry literally and you know, given beauty in the Beasts. It's true, but he was great and he's still is.
Speaker 1: I know, he's still around. I know I love it too. I mean I do remember a lot of those guys in the beginning would just be like thrown off, like I have to be like the girlfriend.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, like that's guys get so mad about the show because it's like you know, I mean you guys even made it into a jay Z song.
Speaker 3: He was like, you know, I have to wait till sex and the city is over.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I mean hello because the women are like, yeah, we're it's a patriarchy versus a patriarchy in the show, I know, and thank god, but that's why, like think about how long it's stuck with us, yeah, you know, but then you think about it, sometimes women get a little frustrated with and just like that because what it's showing is sort of this is what it is to age, you know, this is what it is to you know, have children that are not babies so or have a husband that has now died, or to explore your sexuality after fifty you know, then it's sort of like, oh, I'm being confronted with.
Speaker 1: Like what I know, we're still doing it.
Speaker 3: Like, well, I'm just married over here with kids.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be thinking about you know what could also be happening, right, And what I think you guys are saying is that life isn't done. That is exactly what we're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: The thing that's funny to me is that, I mean, it's very hard to be objective when you're making something right. And luckily Michael Patrick's in charge, I don't have to worry about.
Speaker 2: The big issues.
Speaker 1: But we did all discussed at length about coming back and why we would want to come back and what we wanted to do, and what we wanted to do was say life is not over. Oh yeah, it never ends. It's like fascinating and unexpected things happen all the time as you continue, and why shouldn't those stories be told?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well again, it's like it's you guys really are a fairy tale for people. So it's almost like somebody saying, let's go see how Cinderella's doing. It's like, I don't want to know how Cinderella's doing. I don't want to know what Cinderella's doing. I want to just think she's happy and living her life in the castle.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that part.
Speaker 2: No, y'all are it's fairy tale if you think about because how long people have lived with the reruns obviously, and obviously think it's to watch it on Netflix. But for me, it's about evolution, and I think sometimes for people that is scary, to evolve, to grow, to not.
Speaker 3: Stay the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think for a lot of people it's like, well, no, I want to live with them, right, And it's saying that.
Speaker 1: They wanted to stay there, they want to keep that kind of glorious bubble.
Speaker 2: True, but it's like, yeah, but I like somewhere over the rainbow, but also like, come on, get happy totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I'm thrilled to be doing and just like that because I do feel like maybe maybe someday more people will embrace it, or maybe they won't.
Speaker 2: And it's fine, no, I think to me whenever, I think sometimes if audiences are frustrated by something, it means you're drawing blood, as Baldwin would say, and so, but also I think it becomes a part of the art. So that way, twenty years from now we look back, people say, well, what were people saying at the time, And that is also a time absolute is an audience's reaction to something, because in twenty years somebody will watch this and go, oh, how forward thinking or how amazing. We can say yes, but at the time, some people got frustrated with a non binary character, with the fact that Miranda's now queer, or the fact that Big is passed away.
Speaker 3: We're going to go and look back, like why are they upset about that?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? And I think that's why whatever people are doing or talking about, it's more of an education for us, because that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Someone's upset.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, oh, y'all just don't want to come into this new space, And what it's saying is, oh, y'all want to stay in this little box in the same period. And it means like, oh, so that's not evolution, that's not growing up. That's one to stay in the past, and the past cannot if you live in You know, everybody that lives in the past, they's always talk about what they've done and where they've been, and it's like, what are you doing now? Yeah, where are you at now? And so I think that's why it's just like that is so special because now we get to see, oh, this is after the happy ending, this is after the creditive roles where are you now?
Speaker 3: And that sometimes can be scary for people.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree. I mean it's scary for us sometimes too, just to do it, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, look, there was a beautiful television movie called Mary and Rhoda. You know that they you know, decided to try to come back. It'll be a TV specially everything about matureing a TV show. But I think this is no different than that. It's sort of those actresses, you know, saying these characters still resonate with people, and we want to see what they look like.
Speaker 3: And I remember they were dealing.
Speaker 2: With like in the workforce and working with younger people and all these different things. I don't like, if you go back and look at it's like it's a little bit of it, just like that. It's like I remember people really I was really excited about them coming back and doing that. But it was saying, like, these characters are still relevant even though they are not in their thirties or forties or one.
Speaker 1: And the thing is too, like the thing that I have to remember and that you know so well obviously, is you don't really need the invitation to do it.
Speaker 2: You just need to do it, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to remember sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and just push through.
Speaker 2: And what's also interesting is like, look, you guys like Rolling Stones, Like people don't show up, they're gonna buy tickets, they're gonna come.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I'm just so you guys are like a rock band that people still want to come and hear the concert differences.
Speaker 3: You guys are playing new songs now, and so it's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, we do, we do?
Speaker 1: We do? And I think that's the that's the part where I mean it's exciting that it's scary. Yeah, that's what you want. You don't coasting, We're definitely no.
Speaker 2: I watched that first episode. I was like, what is happening. I'm so like Susan Sales Hill. Got to give her a shout, Susan phials Hill.
Speaker 1: Susan was like.
Speaker 2: Show running a different world back in the day. She show ran my show twenties. And I'm so happy she's over there, and I know she's she's iconic and I'm sure she's bringing so much and she does. She's just amazing. She's so shocking, and she's in New York. Her lady, I mean, she's the perfect person in that room.
Speaker 1: I mean she's lived that life as well as knowing how to run television.
Speaker 2: Oh she's saying, yeah, yeah, she's so happy over there.
Speaker 1: I mean, we love her so much, so much.
Speaker 2: So I'm so excited. She won't tell me anything. I'm like, come on, what's up?
Speaker 3: What's up? She's like, now you got to watch this crazy.
Speaker 2: It is some craziness.
Speaker 3: It is exciting.
Speaker 1: Still, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I forget everybody is gonna be there and show up me talking.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. There's so much, it's so much place to go. Now.
Speaker 2: Before it was like water cooler talk at work, and now it's like everybody's like, oh you see.
Speaker 1: Which is a little scary. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Don't be detached. You know, here's the deal. When you put work into the world, it no longer belongs to you. And what people respond to it or how they react to it is an education about where we are as a society.
Speaker 3: None of this is personal.
Speaker 2: So someone was like, talk about something frustrated a boyut something, run toward it, have that conversation.
Speaker 3: Why does that bug you? What about that makes you uncomfortable? Why don't you like this character?
Speaker 2: I think it's more about asking people like say Hey, why an opinion is fair because everybody's right. If somebody says I love this season, I hate this season. If y'all are right, what I always going to say is like, give me a why why is it not working for you?
Speaker 3: Why do you love it? Why is it? You know?
Speaker 2: Because I remember watching that first season, I was just sort of like, oh, whoa, I'm really affected emotionally, you know, by what's happening in their lives right now. And it was it was challenging me. It was confronting me in a way. But that's what your characters have always done. So this isn't new. It just looks a little different, different, but it's.
Speaker 3: A continuation of what the show has always been about.
Speaker 1: Definitely how we feel. But it is interesting because the world is changing so rapidly, kind of in a back and forth almost kind of way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you gotta be careful because don't want to get like can we say that? Like I love your character. It's always like, you know, is this loically correct? It's gonna say this and that you got to have that voice there, but you know, at the end of the day, people going to say what they're going to say anyway, So you just want to just make something interesting.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right, Yeah, Lena, Yes, are you a Charlotte Charlotte?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: But I'm pretty I think if Charlotte is old fashioned, traditional, yep, and very picky when it comes to who she's going to date because she is thinking about the future always. So I actually have found that I am a little bit like because I'm also a romantic. She she does as I am. I as optimistic as I don't think so, I think, but I'm not a pessimist because, as Baldwin says, I can't be a pessimist because I'm alive.
Speaker 1: Good point.
Speaker 3: But I always thought of myself as.
Speaker 2: A little bit more like Miranda, because she's such a realist and she's so grounded and she's so discerned clear. But I think the reason I've always loved Charlotte, and I think what so many people do, is because she is almost a fairy tale and a human. She believes in it and she's willing to do whatever she.
Speaker 3: Has to to have it.
Speaker 2: And so I think she's very tenacious, Yes she is, and she's also just really loving and sweet and wants to do the right thing. Yes, very loyal very I am.
Speaker 3: I'm a very loyal.
Speaker 2: Person, and so I think I relate a lot to Charlotte, especially now as I watched the show changes it does for all of you know, it depends on where you are on your life. But I think with Charlotte, she's such a She's someone you can count on and she's someone that you know, if you go to her, you're going to get love.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: So I hope I get to be a Charlotte, get to play it.
Speaker 1: But you're very Charlotte. You're very sure. I know people necessarily know that, but I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do.
Speaker 1: You're super supportive. Yes, you're a big support system for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I'm if I'm if I'm like stressing, I'm like, I'm gonna leave, you know, voicemail.
Speaker 3: Please, yes, text me on social media.
Speaker 1: At the time, I was like panics. I was like, come to my house.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Don't worry. Yeah. The thing about that show is the casting is obviously divine and amazing. I mean, come on, you guys are giving beatles for television. But each element is important and I think you know, whoever, when you walked in and they said, Okay, Charlotte, not so much.
Speaker 3: Not so much.
Speaker 1: They were like, yes, Charlotte, but we don't know how important Charlotte's voice is until we got going and they were like, oh, yes, we actually need that voice.
Speaker 2: But you're so good and you bring such and also like getting to know you, that energy that you have you bring to her and it's just such a needed note and that on that on those songs.
Speaker 3: So it's so lovely to see you.
Speaker 1: I mean, we didn't even talk about your going to clash with Michael Patrick.
Speaker 2: Well please, he had, you know, he he he schooled me. He you know, he definitely showed me the roapes before I even met him.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: And then when I got to meet him, you know, he really kind of let me know how it is and is not afraid to, you know, keep me in line a little bit. But no, I love him. You know he did.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like he can pull rank whenever he wants.
Speaker 2: You know, It's true.
Speaker 3: I respect our respect. That's important.
Speaker 1: I think it is important to respect. But I also feel like the thing that I love is when you find out about how people learn to become a creator and a showrunner. It is not easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a thing called the show Runner Trainee Program that that the WGA does to be a part of which he's always is the last sort of like sort of class speech, and he gave a memorable one and something I always remember, and he like he thought he said the thing about the circus, Like he's like, yeah, you're the MC, You're the one, and there's all these things going on and you have to and not too many people can do that. It's to and I don't do that. By the way, I have short runners and I'm the creator. Yes, yes, and.
Speaker 1: Then you have to manage all of them, yes, yes, to hire those people and make sure they're on track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard, it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 3: Look, because I just learned.
Speaker 2: I saw the same names keep popping up on the you know Jenny bit, like you know, guys names and stuff like that. The writers and I always paid attention to, yeah, yeah, kind of seeing who would come up and whose episodes are like yeah, and one of your writers, I think it was Cindy Ye who saw me after a screening of a show and at that point she had seen the things give an episode because the season was out and she's like, you're gonna win en me for that episode like long before you And she was like, I know these things, you're gonna win me.
Speaker 3: And I was like okay, and uh yeah, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure she were sure, but I remember that I called it y she did, She's coming on soon.
Speaker 1: We got to get her. We're trying to keep them in order. When they joined, Jenny already came on.
Speaker 2: Because she was I heard her. Yeah, yeah, when does Cindy come in now?
Speaker 1: Like too? Yes, season took a couple of next, couple of yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember the names. I would see the names, and so I see so many women, you know.
Speaker 3: I just was always like, oh, they are.
Speaker 2: In there going I know, And I don't think people really realize that. I tried to shout it out as much as I can, but there were so many women in that room, like please get out of here. Of course, of course, of course, Illo Susan Bell's Hill, Yes, yes, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And are you know Lisa and Julie who we had when they were like twenty seven they started with us and now they're you know, co executive producers and we love them so much and they're so great and it's so amazing. Haven't that youth that you still to develop with people? Yes, yeah, it's really special to get to do that business.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing. I'm excited. I'm excited about this season.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm excited and scared. I was watching that first one and we're for some reason, they're doing like this event party they showed you, y'all.
Speaker 2: My cast has to wait to see it like we all. Yeah, we would riot. Oh y'all can pabu right? Like they don't they like we want to cast. No, they gotta waita watch it with the audience. That hurts.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's not my choice.
Speaker 2: No, I get it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, baby, thank you wonderful.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to come back. I will come on and school us.
Speaker 1: Yes, whatever history, man, I knew you would bring them, bring it in the fast.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: I love the facts.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: I should have talked about more details, but your stuff was much more.
Speaker 2: No, you killed it.