Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine. Hey, besties.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, it's Wellness Wednesday, and we're joined by communications expert, entrepreneur and author of Seven Rules of Self Reliance Maha Abu Eleanin. She's here to tell us how self reliance can be a tool for professional wellness and how we can start creating opportunities to grow our careers and get closer to achieving our goals. It's Wednesday, September twenty fifth. I'm Simone Boyce, I'm.
Speaker 3: Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, to laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 2: All right, besties, Today we're talking all about professional wellness with strategic communication and personal branding expert Maha Abuelnin. She's here to share her tips for embracing a growth mindset, managing your reputation, plus creating and seizing opportunities without waiting for them to arrive. Danielle her new book lays out seven rules for self for alliance that she offers up as tools to get ahead.
Speaker 1: You want to hear them? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so rule number one, stay low, keep moving. Curious about that one number two, be a value creator that makes sense. Number three, don't be a waiter. Number four, unlearn, relearn, and invest in yourself. Number five think of your reputation as currency. Number six be a long term player. And number seven live with no regrets.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious what she has to say about this, because the workplace can be tricky. I think it's the rare occasion where it really feels like the right fit. I've been in a professional setting for eleven twelve years, and I have to be honest, Being at Hello Sunshine is the first time that I feel like I'm not kind of fitting a circle to a square box, or a square to a circle hole, whatever the phrase is. I've always kind of felt like I had to put a put on or like not show up as my full self, or I felt so frustrated about office politics. I actually originally started going to therapy because I felt so frustrated at work. I didn't feel like I had the tools to communicate what I was dealing with or navigate conflict. And so MAHA's work is particularly interesting to me. I have a lot of personal questions for her, but there's a story that sticks out to me. One of the first jobs I ever had, I actually really loved, and I started there when I was an intern. I started really young, and I eventually had to quit because there was no amount of advocating.
Speaker 1: For myself that I could do.
Speaker 3: The higher ups were never going to see me as anything other than an intern, and so I had to leave in order to kind of personally rebrand, like Maha talks about.
Speaker 1: And I don't know. I look back on.
Speaker 3: That and think, I wonder, if I had the tools that I have now back then, would I have had to quit.
Speaker 2: I actually do think that you didn't have to quit. I think that you can stay and stick it out and you can slowly reinvent yourself in a work setting like that. However, is it worth it to spend the time there and invest in that workplace with the hopes that it's going to pan out and you're going to advance one day. I don't think so. So I think you made the right choice by leaving. This reminds me of this advice that I always heard. When I first moved to LA someone told me, no one's going to take you seriously until you're thirty. And I actually think that that's really true, and.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't simone. My mom told me that, yeah, I would.
Speaker 2: I would never talk about my age because I, I, like you, was interning and working in my twenties, and I would never, you know, volunteer my age because I didn't want people to know how old I was and perhaps judge me for being younger.
Speaker 1: So that's so relatable.
Speaker 2: I think in the workplace, perception is everything, and it's not just about the work that you do. It's how you're perceived while you're doing it. And I wish there were another way, but that's certainly it often feels like that perception is so limiting and so hard to escape. So I'm really curious like you to hear what she has to say about that. I think I dealt with perception in a different way in a workplace situation. I've learned that if you're not in a position where you have your boss's favor, it's time to go. If you've done all the right things, if you've tried, if you've put forth an effort, if you have been an all star employee and you still, for whatever reason, can't earn that person's favor, I think it's so hard to break out of that and I've been on both sides of it. I've been in a position where I did feel like things were going well for me and I had my boss's support, and then I've been in positions where I felt like other people in the office had that and I was just banging my head against the wall trying to figure out, Okay, what is it that they have that I don't, right, And then I just realized that maybe I was in a position where they couldn't see my full potential and I had to leave, and it was on me to show them that.
Speaker 1: It's so relatable.
Speaker 2: It sounds like that's what happened to you as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I think most people have an experience like that or a version of that at some point in their careers, which is really why I think MAHA's work resonates with people, because we're all trying to figure this whole thing out.
Speaker 2: It's that, and it's also the fact that Maha has this personal experience to back it up. So she has more than three decades of experience in global communications, advising corporate giants, startups, CEOs, governments, high net worth individuals. She's also the founder and CEO of Digital and Savvy, which is a global communication consulting firm and a host of the business podcast The Savvy Talk, and her debut book that we mentioned earlier, Seven Rules of Self Reliance, is out next month on October eighth.
Speaker 1: Maha Abu del anin Welcome to the bright Side. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I feel like in your work you're trying to bring sunshine and happiness to people's lives, particularly in your new book, Seven Rules of Self Reliance, because you're offering guidance on how self reliance can be a tool for professional wellness and building a more sustainable and powerful presence at work, which to me equals happiness. Because when you have the opposite, you are one.
Speaker 1: Stressed out person.
Speaker 3: So can you start us off by defining self reliance?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: First of all, I love this question because a lot of people think self reliance is teaching you how to be independent, and I'm thinking it's the exact opposite. I want it to be your superpower. What if you could rely on yourself to make yourself the most powerful sit on the planet so you can bring value to other people. So how do you create value for other people? How do you get ahead by knowing things? By being a lifelong learner. How do you hold all the cards in your hand to be self reliant so that you can bring value to others? And those cards are skills, experiences, and relationships.
Speaker 3: You make a point in the book to talk about what isn't self reliance?
Speaker 1: Uh huh? I thought that was really helpful. Can you share that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think you know a lot of people. Being self reliant means that you don't need help from other people. Go it alone, don't need help, don't ask for help. In fact, you do need help from other people. You just need to have self awareness about what you're capable of, what are you missing? And then where do you go get that help? Is it from a person, a network? Is it something you need to learn? Is it something you need to acquire? So that's what self reliance is about. It's about being resourceful and knowing what you know and what you don't know, and then go get that from somebody else.
Speaker 3: I'm curious, though, why did you choose the term self reliance if it's really so outwardly focused.
Speaker 1: I think it's because I've look back in my career.
Speaker 4: I've been working for thirty years, I've been an entrepreneur for twenty years, and a lot of times I got put in situations where I didn't have the luxury of somebody helping me.
Speaker 1: I had to figure it out on my own.
Speaker 4: And I thought, what's the common theme that's been going on in every job and every interaction with my family members or people. It was like I had to really learn how to rely on myself. And when I did rely on myself, I was surprised that I actually knew things I didn't think I was capable of doing. I actually knew how to bring value to other people. I knew how to be a super connector with A and B. I knew how to build my personal brand. I knew things because I'd never been asked to do them before. But then when I kind of got tested and my back was up against the wall, I'm like, you know what, I can be very powerful if I just tap into myself, invest in myself, have confidence in myself, trust myself, and then I could become unstoppable. And it really was the common theme in my career for the last thirty years.
Speaker 2: Okay, we want to go deep on a few rules from your book that really set out to us. So Maha let's start with the first rule. Okay, this one is stay low, keep moving. What does that mean and what does that look like in the workplace?
Speaker 4: So stay low, keep moving is actually a military term where you're basically on your stomach crouching down so you don't get hit by arsenal, and I took it as a metaphor for life. Stay low, put your head down, put in the hard work. I don't mean low profile. I mean stay low and focused on your goals. Because of social media distractions, people doubting you, telling you can't do it, someone putting an obstacle in your way.
Speaker 1: It's like sitting in front of your email.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If you just didn't take inbound emails all day, you're never going to get your work done right, because those are other people's priorities coming into your life. The second thing is keep moving. You're going to have bad days. There's going to be economic downturns. You're going to get fired from that job. You're not going to get that promotion you wanted. Right if you have a bad day, tomorrow's a day to reset that button. If you can only give forty percent that day, you gave one hundred percent of your forty percent and that's all that matters.
Speaker 1: Maha.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering how you suggest we navigate a work environment when the work doesn't speak for itself, so when the relationships or the office politics play a bigger role in how people are advancing.
Speaker 4: I am a big, big, big proponent of advocating everyone to build their personal brands, and a lot of people will say to me, Maha, I'm not a social media influencer, I don't want to be that, or I'm not a company, I don't need to build a brand. I want you to think of the term reputation instead of personal brand. And don't you want to care about your reputation. So if you're at work and you're struggling with office politics or things that are happening at the workplace, you need to have a strong personal brand. What do people think about you? What do people say about you? How do you show up in the world. Are you a collaborator, a team player, or a problem solver or a listener? This is that's the reason why you need to be intentional about building your reputation because I can guarantee you if you're not doing it, somebody is going to be doing it for you, and a lot of people think, oh, I don't want to put my personal life out there. That's not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about your LinkedIn page, your Instagram page. How you treat people in real life is actually more important than how you interact on social media. How do you treat your colleagues, how do you promote the culture, how do you treat your team members, how do you treat your barista when you go to or your coffee. All of that has to do with how you show up at work, and all that has to do with your ability to get that promotion, to get assigned that project that's going to make you a rock star, and really being intentional about your brand, your identity, and if even want to leave that company and go to somewhere else.
Speaker 1: You have to have a good reputation. You have to find your narrative.
Speaker 4: You have to know how you want to show up in the world and be really, really intentional about it.
Speaker 3: If someone listening is feeling like they're not being recognized, what are the first one, two, or thre three things they can do to set themselves apart or make sure that their work is starting to speak for themselves.
Speaker 4: Well a couple things. One is you have to have good relationships right everything. At the crux of every successful person at work or even at home is you got to have good relationships with people. So you have to invest in what I call making deposits in other people's trust banks, right, doing good deeds, investing by creating value for them. If you want to get ahead at work and you want to like have your work speak for your self, you have to have a good relationship with people so you can talk to them about what you're passionate about. You can share with them the different things that you're doing at work that you care about. You can step up and volunteer to contribute on a project that they're working on, or you can ask them, can I be a part of this mission because I really want to spend some time volunteering because I feel like if I can contribute, you'll see what I'm capable of doing. So one, you got to really invest in building your brand too. You have to really invest in developing really good relationships. It's hard to network today, Like how do you network through LinkedIn? How do you master the art of the DM? How do you network through zoom on? Work calls, you have to think about that. I give actually a big playbook. There's two of the biggest chapters in the book have to do with how to do that networking through social media and DM and how do you do it at work through Zoom And the second one is how to build your personal brand online and offline, because I feel those are the two critical skills that today you need to know how to master. It's not a nice to have, it's a must have.
Speaker 3: It's time for a short break, but we'll be right back with Maha Abu Elanine. And we're back with communications expert Maha Abu Elanine.
Speaker 2: So earlier, Danielle and I were talking about two work situations that we had experienced earlier on in our careers where we felt like our personal brands weren't strong enough to penetrate the perception that other people had of us in the office.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's common, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It is common. And in my situation, I'm thinking about how I've been on both sides of this dynamic where sometimes in some work situations, you do have your boss's favor and things go well for you, things go easy for you, and then sometimes there's a bit steeper of a curve where like it feels like no matter what you do, you cannot get in the good graces of the people who are making the decisions.
Speaker 3: I know, my.
Speaker 2: Advice in that situation, I'm always like, if you have tried everything and you're still not in the good graces, then it's time to go. But I'm curious, from all your years of expertise, Yeah, what do you recommend people do in a situation like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you feel like you're in someplace where you're not being valued, I think sometimes it's pretty obvious to you that might be a time for you to move on, to go someplace where you are valued and you are recognized. But I really think allyship can be a really big tool for people, like having allies who advocate for you, Like other people can speak on your behalf, but they have to have your back by knowing that you've delivered the work, that you've put in the effort, that you're not asking for favors, that you are doing it based on merit.
Speaker 1: And I feel like.
Speaker 4: Allyship is really really important. Do you have allies at work? Do you have people who you can mentor you do you have people that can advocate for you, and if you don't, then maybe you need to spend time developing those relationships even if you don't need them, because it's just good to have them in case something happens or in case you want to advance your career in other areas.
Speaker 2: Another aspect of this rule centers around being relentlessly focused on your goal and setting boundaries. Now, the idea of setting boundaries in a workplace can be so intimidating because you feel like if you don't do everything that you're asked to do, you are you're going to be penalized for it. Like I can remember talking to a colleague of mine and we had both sort of recently started this new job together, and she was like, you know what, I just know that in my first year here at this job, my job is to say yes to everything. That's what I have to do. I have to say yes to everything. And as I heard her say that, I was like, Huh, that sounds great, you know, if I were still in my twenties. But that's not really a It's not feasible for me, and I don't think it's feasible for a lot of people to just say yes to everything. So on the flip side of that, there's got to be boundaries. How do we go about setting healthy boundaries at work?
Speaker 4: I think the first thing is knowing what you can and cannot do, and really having good communication lines with your manager to talk to them about like these are the things I'm you know, like if you have children and you have certain hours where you know you can't be online because you have to do things for your family, communicate your goals and your needs upfront, but then also find other ways to contribute and other ways to bring value, Like I feel like my team members and this is a theme that we have. You know, performance is the key to independence. If you perform and you're delivering. I don't really look at how many hours you're putting in what time I have a remote organization. I can tell you what time my team comes online or offline. All I know is I care about that they get their work done, that they have the coaching and management support that they need for things that they need if they get bottle knocks or they need help with stuff. But I give them a lot of autonomy to set their schedules, and I train them and I trust them. I train them on how to do productivity remotely. I train them on here's the most efficient way to do things, so they're not spending the world, so they're not working twenty four to seven, so they don't have to have those boundary issues. And I do one on ones with my team all the time. I have to check in with them, how are you doing, what's happening at home?
Speaker 1: Are things okay?
Speaker 4: Like I don't want to be blindsided that they have a problem and I wasn't intuitive to their needs of there's too much on their plate or I'm running them to the ground, I'm burning them out.
Speaker 1: I really really spend time.
Speaker 4: I did that early in my career, Like I was just like task master, get things done.
Speaker 1: I don't care. We just need to deliver results.
Speaker 4: And you end up not even just burning on your people, you lose them and good people.
Speaker 1: They don't want that. And I don't want to work for people that are like that either.
Speaker 4: And the number one thing I always look for in my team members and I look at the boundaries, is like are they a pleasure to work with? Are they someone who's capable of managing things under stress? I always ask my team members, what does it look like when you're stressed, what drains you? So I know I know what drains them, so I know when I'm hitting the threshold of some there's going to be a problem. So it's over communication with your manager. It's understanding yourself and articulating your goals and needs to your manager so they know, and then finding the middle ground when there's something that might be a conflict to tell them listen, I really love to be online, but I can't or I can't deliver this today, but I'll have it to you by tomorrow. Be clear about your expectations and when you can deliver on deadlines.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about another rule in the book called don't be a waiter.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 3: I would like to say that I've built my whole career around this rule. So what does being a waiter look like in the workplace?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, this is what happened to me. I was having tea with a friend and we were talking. This is about twenty years ago, and he said to me, he's like, weh, you're a waiter and I'm like what. I'm like, what do you mean? He's like, you're waiting for mister Wright. You're waiting for your boss to give you the promotion. You're waiting for this new miracle thing to happen so that.
Speaker 1: You can lose weight. You're waiting.
Speaker 4: You're just waiting for things to happen in your life. And I wasn't unhappy in my life. I was going to work, seeing friends, I was in my routine, and then I went home and it sunk into me that I actually am waiting. I'm just sort of like coasting through life. I know that there's other things I want to do. I know I have dreams. I know I have ambitions, but that's like in the future, that's not now. I'll just do them later after I do something. And I stopped myself dead in my tracks and I said, you know what, there are things I'd like to do, And instead of waiting for someone to give it to me, am I capable of creating it myself? And if I'm not capable, well what am I missing? So people have goals, and people have an understanding of where they are today. Are they willing to do the hard work to fill that gap? What do I need to do to create that opportunity? Everyone thinks that someone's going to help them someone's going to decide for them, someone's going to anoint them the thing that's going to make them the rock star.
Speaker 1: I teach you in the book, and this is how I practice my life, and apparently you have to.
Speaker 4: If you want something, you're actually capable of creating it yourself, and I inspire you to trust yourself to do it and to have the confidence to do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I have a follow up question with that because I think the rebuttal to what you just said, like, if anything is going through people's minds, it's okay, yeah, that sounds great, But what if there are no opportunities to create something at work? What if my bosses don't incentivize that or even don't like it. What do you suggest?
Speaker 4: First of all, you have to be an avid listener, right so to anticipate needs for other people or to create opportunities, you really got to be making linkages and thinking all the time. I'm always like thinking, what if I connected this to this?
Speaker 1: Could that might be a potential for that?
Speaker 4: Like, you have to be aware, you have to be relevant to what's happening in culture. You have to be listening at work, you have to be listening to the market. The only way you're going to jump on opportunities or create opportunities is if you're in tune to what's happening. These things aren't just going to come to you. You're going to have to actually do some listening and thinking and learning. And I find that it's fascinating when you start to create opportunities for yourself and you're like, oh my god, I can't believe I actually did that. I created that from scratch and it actually worked and happened. It gives you confidence, and then you can do it again and again, and then I keep thinking, well, what if I really wanted to work with this client. I really want to get this client, I need to work on these three things first before I could even begin to approach that client. It's always in front of us, but we just don't take it. We just don't trust ourselves. And I feel like a lot of people wait from permission from others to do things and are afraid to take that step because they're like, oh, who does she think she is doing that?
Speaker 1: Just do it.
Speaker 4: You can't believe how rewarding it is inspiring it is once you do accomplish it.
Speaker 3: So that phrase, who does she think she is? Always reminds me of this Brene Brown Oprah interview and they talk about how everybody has one phrase on their shoulders. On the left, it's who does she think she is? And on the right it's am I enough? And everybody usually has one or the other. I think people that feel the am I enough? Which is I think probably what I feel. I oscillate between the two. But the people that feel am I enough? Are thinking this is scary because of a fear of failure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Aaron, if you're in judgment, the people want to judge people like, I'll be honest with you. I've been doing communications for Google and Netflix and Deepak Chopra and Gary Vee and all these incredible names and people and companies, and I was like, I don't want to go put myself out there and talk about communications. People are going to say, Okay, you know, who does she think she is? Putting quotes out or talking about stuff. But then I took a seg back. I'm like, you know what, I have done some pretty incredible things. I shouldn't be afraid of other people's judgment. I do have value to offer. I do have unique talents to offer. And it's not just me. Everyone listening to this right now has the same set of unique talents and abilities, and they're not doing it because they're afraid of what people fear of judgment, fear of failure. And I just want to tell people, you're overthinking it, and once you do it, you're going to enjoy it and you're going to say, God, I wish I would have done this sooner.
Speaker 3: You've worked with so many expert communicators, you're an expert communicator yourself. Is there anything that you think expert communicators do really well that the average person doesn't.
Speaker 1: What's the through line here? I think it's pretty simple. I think you need to be yourself.
Speaker 4: And I know that authenticity is a big word that everyone talks about, but it's easy to do it consistently. Which is another effective way to communicate is if you are just yourself. Like who I am on social media is who I am in real life. Who I am in meetings is who I am with my niece and nephew. Like everyone, it's the same version of me. And I don't differentiate between work maha and personal maha because that's not how we live.
Speaker 1: We are like all in one bucket right now.
Speaker 4: And so I feel like the key to being good at communications is connecting with your audience and just being yourself.
Speaker 3: That sort of brings us to the final rule that we're digging into today, which is think about your reputation as currency. And this one for me is tricky because I think sometimes it's hard to evaluate your own reputation. We see ourselves differently than other people see us. Self awareness, Yeah, how can you evaluate your own reputation?
Speaker 4: The reason why I say think of your reputation as a currency is I want you to think about what's its worth, what's its value? How are you investing in it like you invest in a currency, How are you building it? How are you protecting it? Your name is the only thing you actually own?
Speaker 1: Ye, right?
Speaker 4: I acquired this sweater, I acquired this necklace, these headphones. I'm born with my name, and my name should be the most valuable thing I have. It's what brings me my income, it's what brings me relationships, it's what brings me business. And so that's when I talk about reputation as a currency. The steps you need to be taking a lot of people don't spend a lot of time thinking about what's my reputation? Ask your friends, like, what are some words that describe me? And then you should think okay this Or I asked a bunch of people what they think of my reputation or how they see me? Now, how do I want to be seen or how do I see myself? I met somebody who told me she's really good at problem solving, but when they come to big problems at work, they don't come to her, And so how can she show them Like I like to get my hands dirty and tackle something and break it apart and collaborate with other people.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you need to ask them if.
Speaker 4: You can work on a big problem at work and show them like she didn't have that wasn't part of her reputation at work is that she knows how to do that. She never got the chance to demonstrate that skill. So I encouraged her to go in and say, hey, I see a problem in the company.
Speaker 1: I want to give you guys a proactive solution.
Speaker 4: So you need to be forth right, you need to be proactive about it, and you need to be intentional about it. A lot of people just assume they have a name, they have a title, they have a reputation, it just is. No you can actually work on it, improve it, build it, grow it through relationships, through your intentional efforts, either what you do at work, what you do at home, what you do in your community, what you do with friends.
Speaker 1: And then you can also always get feedback.
Speaker 4: And I feel like the biggest thing that has helped me even as a leader and a manager at the workplace, is getting feedback about my management style, about how I can be a better leader for my team members. Feedback is hard to listen to. Nobody wants feedback about what you're not doing well. But I'd rather get it than be walking around blind and not knowing. Everyone says and thinks these things about you and you don't know. And that's why they say feedback is a gift, Like if you can give some of the gift of giving them that awareness, then they've helped you. They've helped you so you don't walk around blind making mistakes, especially if it's something that you're not aware of.
Speaker 3: So I went in to see and meet a new executive producer probably six or seven years ago for a show I really wanted to be a part of, and she looked at me and she was a straight shooter and she was from Chicago, which I am too, so I think she felt a kinship. And she said, listen, I'm going to give it to you straight. You need to do one of three things to get on this show. And she lists them off and she said, and you're not there yet. So here's my suggestion to you. I want you to email five to ten people who you think are really important in your life, who see you, maybe in different ways, and ask them three questions. The first is what do you think I'm best at? The second is what do you think I'm better at than most people? And three is what do you think my gifts are? Which are all kind of similar questions. Yeah, that's good questions, And I want you to see how they see you so you can start building a brand.
Speaker 1: And I thought this was what's the scariest thing the thing ever? Yeah, because you want to know, but you don't want to know. But you, guys, we need to know.
Speaker 4: We need to know, and other people are very good at it. So that's also your competitive pools. Like if you don't advocate for yourself, who's going to advocate for you? No one's going to put you the top of your priority list, like you nobody, not your partner, not your spouse, not your family. So you need to think about your name and your reputation and how you want to be seen in the world. Are you somebody who's kind and empathetic and is giving and wants to be in that area, Then you need to focus on showing people those traits that you have. And I feel like those three questions are great questions to ask, and a lot of times we don't want to ask because we don't want to know the answer.
Speaker 3: So I feel like there are so many tools to use nowadays with personal branding. There's websites, there's social media, there's headshots, and I think it can all feel kind of overwhelming. If you were starting from scratch today, what would you focus on?
Speaker 1: Where would you put your attention? So first I would do is listen.
Speaker 4: Listen first, Like, if you want to build your personal brand on social media, go and look at other pages.
Speaker 1: What do you like? What do you not admire about what they do? How they conduct themselves.
Speaker 4: Are they somebody who a lot of people do faceless, They don't have their face and it's just their ideas. It could be a handwritten note, a screenshot and posting what they wrote.
Speaker 1: It could be pictures.
Speaker 4: So the first thing you need to do is listen to what's out there and say, Okay, this feels like me.
Speaker 1: What can I do consistently?
Speaker 4: Do I like stake videos, no I am The beginning was like I don't want to be on camera. I don't like my hair, I always look fat, I don't like my makeup, blah blah blah, just all this negative stuff. So I'm like, I'm going to start building my personal brand by starting with the podcast one because I love podcasts. Two my voice is great. You can't see me, you don't get my hair looks good or bad. And so you have to do what you are comfortable doing in a consistent way. So that's the key to sustaining your personal brand is doing something you can consistently do. So the first step is figure out what do you want to talk about? And then who is your audience? Who are you trying to talk to? Who do you think you want to influence or inform or inspire or educate? And then how are you going to do it? Are you going to do it through LinkedIn, through Instagram? Are you going to not do social at all, you want to be a public speaker. Do you want to be active in your community? Do you want to start a Facebook group and be active there. I feel like a lot of people associate personal brand with social media, and I want to tell you you don't have to do it on social media. In fact, it's more important how you treat people, like I said in real.
Speaker 2: Life, Maha, thank you so much. We loved having you on the bright side and thank you for bringing so much wisdom.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed this so much and I would love to stay connected with your audience. If anyone has questions, drop me a DM, drop me a message. I'd love to answer any questions you guys have about personal branding or networking or anything that can bring value.
Speaker 1: Thanks Maha.
Speaker 2: Maha Abu Elnin is the CEO and founder of the global communications firm Digital Savvy and the author of Seven Rules of Self Reliance, which is out next month. It's time for another short break. We'll be right back and we're back. Before we go, we have a special message presented by Coliguard. If you listen to us on the show, you might have heard us say before just how important it is to screen for colon cancer.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have friends who have been diagnosed with colon cancer and caught it early, so it's also personal to me. Today, we want to clear up a few more misconceptions about the process with the help of our friends at Exact Sciences, makers of the Coligard test.
Speaker 2: For example, you might think the Coliguard test won't find pre cancer, but the Coligard test can detect pre cancerous polyps that grow on the wall of the colon and may develop into cancer. Screening for colon cancer helps ensure you can address any issues now before they become more serious if left untreated.
Speaker 3: Some people worry that if you need a follow up colonoscopy, you'll get charged. The truth is most insured patients pay nothing if follow up care is needed. It's usually covered by insurance. If you are forty five years or older at average risk, you may be eligible to screen at home on your own schedule with the Coligard test. The Coligard test is an easy to use at home way to screen for colon cancer. If you're forty five or older and at average risk, ask your healthcare provider about screening for colon cancer with the Coliargard test. You can also request a Coliguard prescription through a telehealth provider today at coliguard dot com, slash podcast.
Speaker 2: The Coligard test is intended to screen adults forty five and older at average risk for colarectal cancer. Do not use a Coligard test if you've had adenomas, have inflammatory ball disease, and certain hereditary syndromes, or a personal or family history of colorectal cancer. The Coligard test is not a replacement for colonoscopy and high risk patients. Coligard test performance in adults ages forty five to forty nine is estimated based on a large clinical study of patients fifth dean older. False positives and false negatives can occur. Colguard is available by prescription only.
Speaker 3: Start taking care of your health today. Ask your healthcare provider about screening for colon cancer with the Colliguard test.
Speaker 1: That's it for today's show.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow, we're talking to Emmy nominated actor, writer and producer Natasha Rothwell all about her new Hulu series How To Die Alone.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at Hello Sunshine on Instagram at the bright Side pod on TikTok, and feel free to tag us at Simone Voice and at Danielle Robey. We'll see you tomorrow. Keep looking on the bright side.