Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Ten days until the Super Bowl. It's seven years ago today. The Kansas City Chiefs decided to trade Alex Smith to Washington.
Speaker 3: So we're at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: We had gotten word that Alex Smith was probably going to be traded. He was with us on the show and we couldn't get anything out of him, but he knew that he didn't he didn't really know where he was going. He knew that he was going to be traded from Kansas City. And then we get done with our show in Minneapolis. Two hours later, Alex Smith is traded to Washington for a defensive back and a third round pick. He had gone nine and six as a starter in Kansas City in twenty seventeen. In the previous four seasons, he had won eleven games three times, and his stats when he was traded from Kansas City twenty seventeen, he threw for fourth yards, He had twenty six touchdowns, five interceptions. Those are good numbers. But they knew what they had with Patrick Mahomes. They traded up to get Mahomes and Alex Smith was dead man walking. This happened with San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick. Jim Harbaugh made that move, but Andy Reid made a move the Kansas City Chiefs made a move that changed NFL history and paved the way for AFC Title Games, Super Bowls, and maybe what will turn out to be the greatest quarterback in history. That was seven years ago today, And I remember talking to Paulie, I go, how do I get that information out of him? Because he's smart enough to know that I'm going to ask him about it. Does he really know what's he You don't want to ruin the deal. And he was going to get a lot of money. I think he got a four year extension around ninety million, seventy one million, guaranteed he was going to do well. Now we know that he got injured with Washington, but he had a good career. He had good numbers with San Francisco, good numbers with Kansas City, and then his career cut short with the injury in Washington. But seven years ago, taking a chance and taking a chance eight years ago, when you think about what they did in the draft and the fact that the New Orleans Saints and Sean Payton said this, they were taking Patrick Mahomes. How would NFL history look if the Saints had taken him? What would that have meant for Drew Brees and Bree's getting older. Sean Payton sees what he sees in Patrick Mahomes. I got my heir apparent right here. Well, Alex Smith wasn't old, but he saw Andy Reid saw something that maybe others didn't Sean Payton did. Now, there are a lot of coaches it's like with Russell Wilson, Yeah, we were going to take him. Well, you could have the first round or the second round, even in the third round, you could have taken him. Everybody after the fact, but Sean Payton said, hey, we wanted him. Kansas City was going to go get him. And it was during that week an NFL scout source of mine said you should get Patrick Mahomes on he's moving up the draft board and I said to Fritzie, hey, see if we can get Mahomes. Now we couldn't, but you know, I was given a heads up that he was moving up. Didn't know where, but he was moving up. And then he lands in Kansas City and You're like, why would they go get him. Alex Smith's a good quarterback. And then we realized soon after that when he threw for fifty touchdowns. Who was the quarterback prior to Patrick Mahomes. Yeah, that was Alex Smith. And even the draft profile, well, he was going to be, you know, the second coming of Brett farm He's a gunslinger those games.
Speaker 3: Nobody played defense in the.
Speaker 2: Big Twelve, which is true, but I don't think people saw the intelligence of Patrick Mahomes. I think they just saw that he kind of ran around. You know, Texas Tech unless you really love football, you're not going to find Texas Tech games unless they're playing against somebody. The first time I saw him, it was Oklahoma State, and you know they always shootouts. It's like forty two forty, and I kept thinking, well, it's another Texas Tech quarterback. They always have big numbers, you know, Mike Leach always has that offense. They're going to get you know, thirty five forty points. They'll lead the nation in passing, but then they don't do anything in the NFL. Mahomes was different. Yeah, Paully.
Speaker 4: The draft profile, we've talked about this from NFL dot com. Inconsistent, gunslinger, reckless, not an athlete, more of a Scrambler. They critique his throwing motion. It was the word project is used on a couple different websites. But the Chiefs they didn't start a week four. They didn't have to start a week for that. I don't know how much that helped his rookie year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have Alex Smith, and I think Mahomes has talked about you know, Brady's talked about this.
Speaker 3: He wasn't ready to start.
Speaker 2: He needed to sit and watch and kind of understand how the game moves at what pace. And Mahomes has talked about that that he got to learn under Alex Smith. Now I don't think Alex Smith knew that. Hey, I'm going to give you all the secrets and then all of a sudden, wait a minute, what are we doing? Do you have Alex Smith at the super Bowl? So this is seven years ago this morning that we had Alex Smith on and I'm trying to get him to tell me where he's going to be traded.
Speaker 3: Where are you going to be playing next year?
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you're not going to get much right now.
Speaker 3: Sorry to disappoint.
Speaker 5: Come on, I got absolutely nothing for you that's gonna do you know in your head you just can't tell me.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: I mean I wish I knew. I wish I listened. I got a year under contract there in Kansas City.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's.
Speaker 5: Uh, I was in control of this thing, right, I mean I wish I was the one that got to be able to to do this.
Speaker 7: That's just not the reality.
Speaker 3: But if you were in control, what would you do?
Speaker 6: What do you you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, listen, Like I said, I mean, you're you're not gonna like this answer at all. I mean, I mean, I love, I love where I'm at. Right, I felt like we underachieved. I felt we as offensively last year. Did some you know, awesome things you know, so, but who knows? Right, I've been playing long enough. I've been through this before the trade deal, so I'm not not naive to it. You know, this is a crazy business. A lot of crazy stuff can happen.
Speaker 2: And then he was traded to Washington for Kendall Fuller in a third round draft pick. But he got ninety four million dollar deal, seventy one million dollars guaranteed if you go through the vowels. AEI, oh, that's what it sounded like, Alex Smith. So PAULI asked me the question, I'll be Alex Smith.
Speaker 3: What would you do if you were in control?
Speaker 2: I'll oh sometimes, why, Yeah, he knew something. He had to know something, because those deals don't get done that quickly. It's like when free agency starts. It's like twelve oh one. They got a deal done in a minute. No tampering here. But Alex.
Speaker 3: He had to move on, and.
Speaker 2: He'll be the trivial pursuit question or answer of who was the quarterback prior to Patrick Mahomes? ALRIGHTY eight seven to seven three DP show Dylan, what's the poll question today?
Speaker 3: From the first hour?
Speaker 8: All right, Dan, we're gonna go with without knowing what would happen in the future, would you've traded Alex Smith after the twenty seventeen season, which was statistically his best season touchdowns, yards, td I T ratio.
Speaker 2: Now, not everybody agreed that you got to move on from Alex Smith because we weren't quite sure what they had with Patrick Mahomes. So to be fair to oh, yeah, everybody knew, they didn't not everybody knew leading up to the draft. If everybody knew what Patrick Mahomes was going to be, Kansas City wouldn't have been the only team trading up to get him. He would have been taken well before Mitch Trubisky. Yeah, what woud his career been like if he played for the Bears. There's certain organizations.
Speaker 3: Where you go.
Speaker 2: If that guy had gone to that organization, would he have been a great like Tom Brady? If he went to Cleveland? Would he have been Tom Brady? No, if Mahomes doesn't go to Kansas City, he's not one of the great quarterbacks of all time.
Speaker 3: But in the system. By the way, I know that there's.
Speaker 2: A documentary or there's a three part series about you know, it's Brady versus Belichick. Chris mad Dog Russo was talking about this that he's hosting this. Are we going to do that to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes? Why do we do it for Brady and Belichick? Now I know there's no conflict. It'd be like if Mahomes left and let's say he went to the Jets and won a Super Bowl, would we then have this argument of I don't know who's better Patrick, who was more responsible? Mahomes or Andy Reid? But we do that with Brady and Belichick although they've done a pretty good job of complimenting each other. I'll go back to the Super Bowl when the Patriots lost to the Eagles, and I interviewed Brady prior to that, was during super Bowl week, and I said, do you think you'll ever sit down with Bill and reminisce? And he looked at me like, you got to be that's the dumbest question.
Speaker 3: He goes, no.
Speaker 2: But now they're sitting down and reminiscing and you know, verbal bouquets and everything is good. In fact, Bill Belichick was on the Jim Gray podcast, the Let's Go Podcast and talking about Tom Brady and the Super Bowl Trophy.
Speaker 9: Players win games. You can't win games without good players. I don't care who the coach is, it's impossible. You can't win without good players. I mean, it's you know, it's Brady, it's McGinnis, it's Rabel, it's Bruski, it's Corey Dillon, it's Randy Moss, Troy Brown, Lawyer Malloy, ty Law, Rodney Harrison. Those are guys that won the games.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 9: I didn't make any tackles, I didn't make any kicks. That was Vintary that made that kick in four inches of snow. You gotta have good players. They don't name it the Star Trophy. It's named little Bardi Trophy.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a name it the Brady Trophy. He wants seven of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a throwaway line by Bill Well. Good follow up by Jim Gray. They don't call it the bart Star Trophy. They call it the Lombardi Trophy. We'll revisit this coming up a little bit because I got a few more thoughts about this and naming the Super Bowl Trophy after Tom Brady. I have some other options there. So what other poll questions are we thinking about? First downur Dylan Well going off that.
Speaker 8: Then we can go with should the Lombardi Trophy renamed the Brady Trophy?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: Or now let me save that. Okay, I'm gonna save that.
Speaker 2: Seaton is on the road. We'll hear from him later on this morning. And thanks to Maco, go to Danpatrick dot com follow the road to New Orleans. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC At Maco. They bring your car back to life with affordable paint choms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Oh better get Maco. All right, So we will discuss that a little bit. Also when we had the NBA commissioner Adam Silver on yesterday, and I said, hey, give me some wild suggestions and we'll bring back just the comment that he talked about of making these games forty minute, not forty eight minute games, ten minute quarters. And I don't think he realized it was going to explode, and I did try to warn him that it was going to take off, and maybe he did know, maybe he did want to gauge the reaction to something like this, and I was surprised at some of the reaction.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: And there were certain news organizations that kept it in context, which I appreciate, and there are other ones that have misleading headlines in there, because this was just wild things that you're thinking about, maybe two free throws if you get fouled on a three point shot. And then he dropped the bomb where he said, why don't we make it universal. This is what they do in the Olympics, this is what they do in Europe. Maybe we'll have forty minute games, ten minute quarters and not forty eight.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 11: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobe on Rich wherever you get your podcasts and of course on social media. That's Cavino and.
Speaker 2: Rich Michael Vick, Norfolk State head football coach, four time Pro Bowler, number one pick in the draft. Why why can't take one Barkley win the MVP? Why won't he win the MVP.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying he won't.
Speaker 12: I don't He's not gonna win a possible, but it's possible he could win it. I mean, if he win the Super Bowl, just save you the Philadelphia Eagles happen to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: You're looking at a guy who's been, you.
Speaker 12: Know, one of the greatest set the position and in many, many years in football. So it's very possible that he can win the MVP. It's not out of the questions because of the running back, the whole narratives. I don't know where it comes from, but Saquan is that's the thing that only about. If I'm saying it's correctly, five to ten running backs have done in the history of the National Football League.
Speaker 7: So let's not forget that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so that's an elite group, that's like the top echelon.
Speaker 2: But if he's not gonna win it because the voting has already done if he's not gonna win it this year to rush for two thousand yards twice as many as he had with the Giants the previous year. He changed the Eagles offense. He's a home run hitter. It's a great story. The Giants didn't want him. I know Lamar had a wonderful year, but I don't think a running back is going to win an MVP in my lifetime.
Speaker 7: Mike, I mean, you can you can never say never.
Speaker 12: I say that, I mean and I think about it because I'm kind of with you. I mean, as I think over the years. But it shouldn't just be an award that grants it to a running back, I mean a quarterback. It should be an opportunity for a running back or a receiver or defensive player. It should not be true, be biased at all. And so you know, I wouldn't be surprised if Lamar won it or a job just want it because those guys they truly deserve it as well.
Speaker 7: But there's only one trophy to go around.
Speaker 12: But I mean, Saquana, if he wins it, if he wins the Super Bowl, I think, you know.
Speaker 7: I think already it'd already be decided by then.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm sorry because the honors is the night before, so let I got the sequence.
Speaker 7: Out of water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's a nice consolation price, Mike. Yeah, if he doesn't win the regular season MVP but ends up winning this, yeah.
Speaker 12: I really feel like it should be decided once the season is over. You know, when once a team is you know, granted that super Bowl trophy, then you could say.
Speaker 7: It might be a guy on the on the super Bowl winning team. It might not, but I.
Speaker 12: Think that takes precedent because what if that guy is having a super Bowl type caliber season, you know, m v P caliber season, and then he goes into the super Bowl and win it. You know, why wouldn't he he bet that guy, especially if we put up numbers. But who knows, Man, it is not for me to decide on.
Speaker 2: He's Michael Vick, Norfolk State headed for coach. When did this.
Speaker 3: Idea start in your mind to be a head coach?
Speaker 12: Well, it started many many years ago, in like twenty seventeen when I was doing an internship in Kansas City with Andy Reid when he first drafted Patrick. Actually the first year he got Patrick, Alex Smith was there and so I was there, you know, just learning you know, to be a coach and what it what it truly meant or the work that had to be put in.
Speaker 7: I seen behind the scenes, I learned a lot.
Speaker 12: I just happened to get a call from Fox Sports at the time, and so, you know, having a conversation with Andy, we felt like that was probably the best, the best route to go in my life because you know, uh, becoming a coach and becoming a head coach, you gotta it's a lot that you have to, you know, go through. You know, you gotta climb the rings you got to you gotta earn it. And uh, you know, it was always the thought of mine to put myself in a position to try to earn a head coach and spot in college football at some point.
Speaker 7: And I know I had to do the hard work.
Speaker 12: But you know, working you know for five sports is you know, it's helped me grow as a football player as well, you know, from watching enough film and watching enough games and saying in tune to knowing like how to compartmentalize it and put it all together and put the team together. And so the opportunity with the blessing, I'm appreciative of it. I had already conditioned my mind to be ready when the head coach. The opportunity came one day, if it ever came, and you know, I got it, and so I felt like it was best to take advantage of it and looking forward to doing some great things.
Speaker 2: Seven years ago today, Alex Smith got traded. Yeah, what did Andy? I mean, he had to see something in my homes that you trade away Alex Smith, who had some really good seasons. In fact, that season, I think he had twenty six twenty seven touchdowns, five interceptions. They won eleven games three times while he was there. But what do you think, what do you think Andy saw with Mahomes that maybe you saw that you know, there's why we have Patrick Mahomes now.
Speaker 12: It was I mean, I can't say exactly what Andy was thinking, but he may have looked at the situation. You know, probably spend about you know, four or five years with Alex, and you know, you.
Speaker 7: Draft his young quarterback to Bill for the future.
Speaker 12: And I think in Patrick's last game in the rookie season, I think he had an amazing game against Denver if I'm not mistaken, And it was just you see, probably seeing things and I know I saw things. Andy probably seen some things that you know, it was just kind of like unprecedented the quarterback position, and it's kind of unhearled, and and so you like, I know, I can deal with this. You know, might as well get it going now and try to just expert like the process of getting to a championship.
Speaker 7: Alex still had some good years.
Speaker 12: There was some teams out there who could use them.
Speaker 7: At the time, and it wasn't like he ended up in a bad situation.
Speaker 12: So, uh, you know, Alex wasn't coming off of super Bowl caliber season or he didn't win the Super Bowl, so it kind of made sense to do it at the time.
Speaker 7: But you know, I can guarantee this that Alex and Andy still.
Speaker 12: Can have a great relationship to the day, and Alex appreciate everything Andy has done for him. So it was just Patrick's time, and you can see that it was the right decision that was made.
Speaker 2: Are you going to try to schedule a game with Dion and Colorado to play it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Colorado.
Speaker 12: Yeah it's a possibility, but you know what, it would have to make all the sense in the world.
Speaker 7: Uh, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 12: I spoke to dion about you know those type of games and scheduling, you know, big time games for the school.
Speaker 7: You just want to be cautious when you when you're doing that.
Speaker 12: You know, you don't want to put the kids in a bad situation.
Speaker 7: You know, obviously it helps the school out.
Speaker 12: And we'll pick and choose our spots and in terms of what's the right team to play before I put him in a situation where uh, you know it's a detriment to them. And when we do we finally schedule that game, we'll be ready to play that game and be competitive in that game.
Speaker 2: If you guys had a forty yard dash. Now you and Dan, Now he's got the foot problem, so you could probably take him, right.
Speaker 12: I mean I would say probably before that, Yeah, I probably can take him.
Speaker 3: Now, what about me before the foot?
Speaker 12: Before I was about to say before then, I still wild get it EDGs the Prime because because Prime ran a fourd to on too many that could I think he might have ran a four one.
Speaker 3: I think it was a four to one and change.
Speaker 7: He ran a full one. Yeah he used to. Yeah he could run. So I would get an Edg to the goat without a.
Speaker 2: Doubt, all right, before I let you go, what would be a successful season for you this year?
Speaker 7: A successful season for us? I think it's.
Speaker 12: You know, to double the amount of wins that we had last year. You know, as I watched the film and I watched those young men, they competed hard last year, they put forth a lot of effort, but we all acknowledged collectively that it was it's a little bit more that could have been done. And so you know, you know, those guys they round there, they talking, you know, championship, and that's the way they're supposed to think. And that's the way they're supposed to talk. But you can talk about it, you gotta be about it. And I think for us right now, it starts with our strength and conditioning program, tackling the off season, making sure that we put it in the hard work and we get to know one another, build that camaraderie, come out of the spring feeling good about going into the fall, and then start putting the right pieces together. So you know, we know, you know, what we have in the building at the program. We just want to continue to strengthen that. So you know, if we can get you know, we.
Speaker 7: Can double our wins. You know, from last year. I mean, I think that's successful season.
Speaker 3: Will you be the best quarterback in the building? Still? Yes?
Speaker 12: Hey, And so somebody you know shows me on all accounts that they're ready to play that level and I know, real real soon then you know we can we can pass the torch around.
Speaker 3: I say that, good to talk to you. Good luck. That's Michael Vick.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: I make the smooth segue from Jessica Alba to Jamal Crawford. He is the NBA on NBC lead analyst coming up this next season, and former sixth Man of the Year. All right, unless you want to get in on this Jen Garner or Jessica Alba discussion.
Speaker 6: This is all walk into huh.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes you did, Yes, you did? Okay.
Speaker 2: Commissioner comes on yesterday and I don't know if he meant for it to be a bombshell, but let it. You know, he's thinking about what if we went from forty eight to forty minutes in games? They do this in Europe, they do this in the Olympics. And I think the immediate reaction was what are we doing here? And I said, commissioners have to think this way. I want your opinion on if the games were forty minutes as opposed to forty eight, how would that affect you.
Speaker 13: I think players the number one thing the matter players of all, you know, status as minutes. They want to be out there. So I'm not sure forty minutes will go over well because they'll probably play a little bit less they do and if they get less numbers, they probably get less stats, and I'm not sure that would go over well. So I'm not sure exactly you know what the benefit is. If we're trying to save time on their bodies, then we can do that in practice, we can load manage there, but I'm not sure what the benefit.
Speaker 6: I'm sure he's always from.
Speaker 2: But there's gonna be the same number of games, they'll just be fewer minutes, so maybe there's not load management. And I think the commissioner said, if you take eight minutes off a game, that's going to add up to fifteen games of minutes, so there's wear and tear on your body. If you're still getting paid for playing eighty two games, then I get the stats that those would have to be modified if there's incentives in your contract that you have to reach certain numbers. But I can see positives with it, not as many negatives.
Speaker 13: It's some positives for sure. Like you said, it's the Olympics experience. It's just guys are gonna have to not play harder because a lot of them do play hard, but they're gonna have to maximize those minutes because, like I said, that's the number one thing bad in the stats, because that's likely or not. They kind of lead to whatever else comes with contracts, et cetera, et cetera. Not for the superstars, for other guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Jamal, we want more minutes. We want you guys playing in more games. Like that's what the fan wants. They don't want loud mission.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think if you can ensure that, you know, fans don't know who's playing when they go to games now, and it'll be like Lakers versus Golden State. They can't say it's Steph against Lebron because they're not sure if somebody's going to be playing.
Speaker 13: And the worst part about that, Dan is that kid who got tickets for Christmas three muths to later, right, and his favorite player or favorite two players aren't playing. It's like his Christmas is ruined three months later, right, Like he's really like, man, I didn't see this person. And that's the part that really stucks.
Speaker 2: All right, So the three point shot, everybody, it feels like there's too many of them. Do you change anything? I'm gonna make you, commissioner, what do you do with the three point shot?
Speaker 13: What if you had a limit of three point shot you could shoot the game for per team, then you wouldn't just have any of their everybody shooting them.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure it's the three point shots. It's the problem. It's the problem that we're letting anybody shoot.
Speaker 3: In Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 13: Like when we came up, it was obviously Reggie and Ray and they were going to shoot more threes because they were the best three point shooters. But and Steph should shoot however many you can get up. But that's not for everybody. And the funny thing about that, Dan is when it's the most important time the playoffs, they're like, just move a scoreboard, mid range, take whatever you can get, layup, move that scoreboard because the time that's most important. Every point matters. So I think it's gotten to a point where we want to see a three point shot.
Speaker 6: We just want to see it by the right people. We don't need everybody shooting three.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I brought this an up a month ago.
Speaker 2: I said, what if you capped it at twenty five threes per team per night?
Speaker 6: What do I think every matter? Right?
Speaker 13: I even thought, I'm like, what if we took the three point line out where it's like, okay, we're just playing twos and they're like, oh, we gotta really scheme, we gotta we gotta value each possession. Obviously you can't do that, and we love the three point shot. It's the home running baseball. But if you can cap them, I think that could be a start.
Speaker 2: Do you believe in the Cavaliers or the Thunder? If I said you had to pick one or the other to make it to the finals.
Speaker 13: I would pick the Thunder, okay, and the reason being is they have a bona fide. I love the Cavaliers young team, I love Donovan Mitchell, Darius Carland Mobley, but SGA and I believe that the Thunder have a star on the sideline as well. I think coach Daguna was unbelievable last year come to the playoffs. We talked to so many different coaches and he was one of the ones who stood out with how his mind works, what he's thinking. He has total command of the game. They're lock and key. They're almost like a college team playing in the pros with how together they are and how yeah, how they move together. Look at all their interviews. I know some people talk about them, but every time they're seven or eight guys there and they run in a pack.
Speaker 2: They're young, they're all under twenty five. I mean, they are kind of a college team.
Speaker 13: They are with so many more picks coming in the future, right like they're loaded. They always do a great job of development. Will pick the thunder because SGA is the MVP type like player.
Speaker 2: How would you what would you do to help the development of when Benyama?
Speaker 6: It's a great question.
Speaker 13: I would say for him, there's certain things he just has to go through, but I want him to One thing I would say is I probably would get him closer to the basket, gets to the free throw line. I think for every three he takes, if he you know, bounce that out will get one free throw. So if he shoots ten threes, get ten free throws, and I think that will always keep his scoring, you know balance, It'll always be bounced even if he shoots three for ten or three for you know, eleven from the three point line, if he has those eleven free throws to counteract that, I think he'll always have that sustainability. But he he's a joy like, he is such a treat he's we see the unicorn talent, but the everyday working with role player qualities is what's going to really shoot him.
Speaker 6: Off the charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if like Darren Fox, I think would be really better. Like he needs a true, really good point guard. Chris Paul is not going to do it. Cassel is developing, but maybe Dearon Fox to the Spurs.
Speaker 13: I like the fact that if that's true, that deer Fox wants to come because he's going to get players that want to come play with him, right, and he's that type of unselfish superstar.
Speaker 6: Obviously the Spurs the gold.
Speaker 13: Standard, but he's a transcending type player and getting a player like deer Fox is closer in age a little bit to.
Speaker 6: Go with that group. After you know this run, I think would be good.
Speaker 2: What would you tell them, DP, Well, I thought he was lost in his rookie year because he was just out of place on the court. Offensively. He just didn't put himself in position. He was getting bodied a little bit. He needs to establish these are my comfort areas, get to those spots or getting the ball in those spots. I'm okay with them shooting threes because I like his shot, and I think he's taking nine threes this year.
Speaker 3: He was five last year.
Speaker 2: But I like that versatility of you think I'm going to be on the perimeter, I'm going inside. I think I develop a little jump hook there. I would I would get that. I'd almost study Kevin McHale and just look at all the ways that he would score. That makes it you're even more valuable when you go to the perimeter or vice versa. Now you've got to pick your poison with him. I think he's going to be the best player in the game in three years. I think I think he'll be an MVP in three years. I think that much of him. I just think that he sort of was lost a little bit on the floor last year.
Speaker 13: And it's amazing because I think I agree with you, I think he'll be the best player. But he's checking every box, Like I guarantee you what you're saying will be part of his talent going forward. Like he's always trying to get better, He's always trying to learn, and he hasn't even to me, hasn't even got his NBA meanness.
Speaker 6: Shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 13: Like he hasn't even got to like I'm here. This is all just off the national talent and.
Speaker 6: Having those guys there.
Speaker 13: When he gets his mean as you know twenty two, twenty three, twenty four, he's, like I know him the best player period. It's gonna really be scary then because he will be on his way to being one of the greatest.
Speaker 2: Even how often would you notice who's in the stands when you were playing in Los Angeles or New York, anybody famous?
Speaker 13: It was funny when when I noticed it, but when the really famous people that I loved were there, I wouldn't make eye contact until I got rolled because I'd be so nervous that they were there. So I'll make sure I had ten points first, the first ten for me in the NBA AB with the hardest to get the next ten.
Speaker 6: Reason but the first t in DP were.
Speaker 13: So hard, so I didn't make eye contact until I hit my double figure.
Speaker 7: Bok.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Jessica Albo's there, and you're not even gonna look at her for your first ten points.
Speaker 6: I'm not looking at out. No, I'm not looking at Album. I'm not looking at Album. I'm not looking at jay Z.
Speaker 13: I'm not looking at Sandler, none of these guys that I really admire.
Speaker 2: Now, did you ever look at Beyond like you're not allowed to look at Beyonce?
Speaker 3: If jay Z's there, well, jay Z.
Speaker 13: And our friends and so no, No, I'm definitely not looking at Beyonce for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh well there, yeah, yeah, I go, I go introduce myself.
Speaker 6: All right. Well, you have any movies, by the way, so you're a star there. Yeah, I ask you that. What were your two favorite movies you appeared in?
Speaker 2: Uh, The Longest Yard was pretty good. I arrest Sailor at the beginning, I'm a police officer, and then uh, just go with it. I'm a nightclub owner in Hawaii with Jennifer Aniston and Nicole Kidman on stage with me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you have a hoop with Sailor?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have what's his game. Blay, he carries the ball.
Speaker 6: Don't I don't get a carry thing? They said out care for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Don't I have a problem with it? Though he carries it constantly. He's got an ugly shot. It does go in, he does. He's he's a good passer and and he's kind of a u physical He's a like a Baron Davis built guy like he You're going to bang around a little bit in there, and what's your game?
Speaker 3: Just don't leave me open.
Speaker 13: Oh, the guy who doesn't want the three point shots are is saying, don't leave you open for the shot?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's too easy. They you know the three is easy. That's why I'd like to get rid of it. I'm kind of a Pasha Stoyakovic. You shoot that quick, I shoot with the same results.
Speaker 6: Well, if Sandler can get around, can I get joined? Can I get by stand next to the dodge?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sandler would love to play hoops with you?
Speaker 6: You too, You got to be there too.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just you know, I got to the point where I got tired of scoring Jamal, Oh my god, you know that, you know that feeling like I like to go. I like to go to the carnival where the baskets are smaller. Just so, yeah, you gotta shoot.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of a Mark Price kind of guy. Yeah, yeah, go off.
Speaker 2: The dribble quick maybe, uh Dale ellis kind of guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go seeatle Hey, congrats on the NBC gig.
Speaker 6: For you for I know obviously you know the landscape. Any advice from me.
Speaker 7: There, no, you just it.
Speaker 2: Just have fun with it. I mean that's all it is. You're you're you're seeing the sport, you're calling the sport. You're giving people things that they may give them something that they don't see. A lot of times on TV, we tell you what you're seeing, tell me what I'm not seeing, show me little things. And I think that's really important is TV. We get to see it. There's something that was in that shot, in that move in that play that I didn't see.
Speaker 3: And that's where you can tell me something.
Speaker 6: That's my wheelhouse. I like it, Thank you.
Speaker 3: That is Jamal Crawford