Speaker 1: The volume. You don't just want to lose weight, you want to look better and feel better. That's why weight Loss by Hymns now offers access to the FDA approved we go vy it's a pill, and the FDA approved we go V pen. Wgov is designed to help you lose weight keep it off so you can stay on track with your goals. With wigovy at Hymns lose up to twenty percent or more of your body weight when combined with diet and exercise, helps you regulate your appetite eat less so success is within reach. Plus, wagov is the first ever GLP one pill for weight loss, so there are no needles needed. Okay. Through Hymns, everything happens online. You'll connect with a licensed provider who will determineive treatments right for you. If prescribed, your medication is delivered right to your door, no insurance necessary, and it doesn't stop there. Hymns makes hitting your goals seamless. They offer access to twenty four to seven messaging with your care team and in app lifestyle and nutrition support like recipes, plans, fitness videos, sleep content and more. Even better with a range of affordable JLP one options Hyms makes it simple to find a weight loss approach that fits into your world and your wallet. If eligible, you'll get a treatment plan personalized to you and unlimited dosage changes as needed. Are you ready to reach your goals? Visit hims dot com slash cowherd hims dot com slash coward to get a personalized, affordable plan that gets you started. Hims dot com slash cowherd, hyms dot com slash cow hurt. All right, We're live in Hollywood, Florida thanks to the hard Rock Bet, and Nick and I are doing the most unique yeah podcast we will ever do in our respective careers. We are in a hard rock bet. What would you call party bus? The party bus both Colin and I. You know, listen, I don't I know where I think Colin is in the sports media ecosystem. I you know, they're conflicting opinions on where I am. But at our core, what Colin and I both are is old school radio guys. And when we were alerted about this event, he and I both separately without talking to each other, thought we were going to be on a stage at a DJ booth in a bar with just like folks ordering drinks I even tweeted like, because there's a bar up the street called Mickey Burns that is live streaming this and thanks to them. But you and I both thought it was gonna be like back when we were doing training camp coverage and local radio, like.
Speaker 2: We're at a bar hanging out. This is a little more swanky but very nice, and we are just this. Either this area is over represented by Colombian fans or this stadium tonight is going to be eighty five percent Colombian fans against Portugal.
Speaker 1: So hard rock bet it is. This is what hard rock bet looks like. It's all yellow shirts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, one hundred, oh yes. The casino, the guitar our casino has been That's what I'm saying. Is either the Portugal and I'm not sure it might be like that there. Hollywood, Florida is a Columbian stronghold, and there's a different Portuguese stronghold elsewhere in the South Florida area. But I have seen I saw zero Christiano Ronaldo or Portugal jerseys at the casino. I've seen zero Here's It really seems like Columbia is gonna have a home field advantage tonight in the game and if that informs my bet. I have not bet the game yet, I've thought about it. I don't know which way I'm leaning, but I feel like we're almost. We're almost. It's almost mandatory to go with Columbia at this point. It is, you know.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this as I was flying down today by the way commercial, as I was finding.
Speaker 2: It's not a good for you man of the people. So I was flying down in row twenty eight and I and I was thinking.
Speaker 1: About as I was doing it that when was the last time that I turned on a sporting event and was shocked at what I was watching.
Speaker 2: So the first half against Paraguay, the first fifteen minutes our aggressively sunning.
Speaker 1: I think it's the best half of football any United States soccer team has ever played.
Speaker 2: National team, and I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking, when's the last time you turned on a game? I will say this, when when Indiana started taking Alabama to the woodshed, it was like, whoall the sport of SiGe? You know, that's one of those. But one of the things, one of the things about the World Cup that it's always been hard to gauge. We before the friendlies with Senegalgue in Germany. We had been on about a nine month drought. We had played terribly in Polisic had and scored in a year, and even with Ac maloney'd had nagging injuries. And I remember saying to one of the executives at Fox, I've got horrible vibes about this.
Speaker 2: I said, we better have a plan for how we're going to talk World Cup, not about the US be's national team. I was like, we gotta I understand we're all rooting for a deep run. But three weeks before the World Cup, I was like, hey, guys on the show. We had a meeting. We were like, hey, we can all we're all rooting for the US, but we need to put stakes in the ground on other countries that are actually going to be playing in the big games, because the US looked like it was in total disarray. Instead, it's been magical.
Speaker 1: Mexico's good, Yes, England, all the stars are scoring, all the strikers young and old. There's been just enough upsets and we've gotten almost universally permitting weather. Philadelphia had an ugly yes for one day. Yeah, but I mean you look at the heat wave France is going through. Correct, We have been so lucky just enough controversy. The high ration breaks are kind of you know, people are overwrought with that. And my take is they really started those things in like twenty eighteen or twenty twenty twenty two Brazil.
Speaker 2: I had to do it well. Twenty fourteen in Brazil there was an element of it. Twenty eighteen it was in Russia, right, But twenty I'm not sure. Twenty twenty two in Katar you had to have it. Absolutely. I don't care about that, to be totally honest, I love soccer around of purists. I don't care about it. But to your point though, and then we get to the US men's national team about this World Cup setting up with the storylines, the stars and the best teams. One of your longtime March Madness takes is upsets are fun, but it makes the tournament worse. Ten groups have been decided. We are ten for ten on the favorite winning the group. Every single favorite has won its group, and then we'll see what happens in the final two groups, of which a lot of these Columbian fans are opening. The favorite doesn't win because Portugal is one of them, and then England obviously is the other favorite. So you have no great teams that have been sent on check one, check two. Is every single one of the huge stars. It's not only scored had a multi gold game. Even Christiano Ronaldo, who's forty one and might be wheeled into the arena, has to at a multi gold game. Messi's been unbelievable. Messi retired from World Cups in twenty fifteen. Since then he's played in three or four and one one one and might win another. So that's happening, and it is like the bracket is set up to where we're staring at France Germany in the round of sixteen, We're staring at Argentina, potentially Portugal in the round of eight, Mexico hosting England in Mexico City in the round of sixteen. That's before we even get to the semis, before you even talk about what you know, if it again, if the seeding holds, so to speak, we could get Brazil Argentina in the World Cup semis on one side of the bracket, and France, Spain or maybe the US right in the semis on the other side of the bracket. And on top of all that, the US has played, I don't know of my lifetime. Four of the six best halves of soccer they've ever played. And I'm forty years old.
Speaker 1: Well, and I said this the other day, is that the great thing about tournaments that Illinois is a great example of this. You can get to the final four of the Elite eight having played one good team. They played Houston, yep. And that's the reality is you get to the knockout stage and you're like, oh, I don't want to play them. Boom, they loose yellow cards, red cards, injuries. I mean the reality is great teams get a little tight, just like March badness sure right. Unlike basketball, where tight meets you score seventy two eighty two, titan soccer means one goal, doot three and you can seize sometimes when you get to these later stages that the heavy favorite, who by the way, is getting clovered by their countries media, right, And so I mean this is why Turkey A when they beat us, I'm like, guys, they had to win. I mean it was like the coach is gonna get fired. I was so overjoyed with our effort. You know, you and I have talked about this. People were so disappointed with the outcome and I said time out go one second before the kick, you would have said our reserves tied. Correct a desperate team, So the kick can't make me think bad.
Speaker 2: Outing, so I agree with you. I also, if we want to go gri glass really half full, you know, probably good for the team to not get a little too full of itself, right all that, I it's the World Cup. We had an opportunity to, you know, continue do what Mexico did. Hey, it's a meaningless game. We're gonna go undefeated anyway. And I was prepared mentally for a drawer or even a loss before the game. When they scored two minutes in, I'm like, oh my god, I think you tweeted like I'm not used to the US being the best team in the world, but they I have. My My expectations going into this tournament for the US team were very simple. If if somehow they don't get out of the group, then you have to burn the whole thing to the ground.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They not only got out of the group, they won the group. We have had for my entire well for everybody here his entire life. The side from the opening tournament in nineteen thirty a pretty hard ceiling of the round of sixteen. We've made the quarters once, it was in O two. The goal was to make the quarters again and see what the hell happens, and they are now well positioned to do that. They get they have Bosnia in the first round and then Malachium, probably probably Belgium. They're off there. Belgium has not been good and I'm not just saying that because I had my father's day ruined by betting Belgium and they scored zero goals.
Speaker 1: But they were, you know, back in twenty eighteen they finished third, Yes, and and since twenty fourteen they've made every big European tournament.
Speaker 2: But they're not the same.
Speaker 1: They're no a lot lessayer's age out cor they got new young players, they're not as dynamic.
Speaker 2: And Locaku is not as good as he once was. But Doku will be the best player on the field in that game. But so be it. Like well have home field advantage, and of all the teams you could play in the round of sixteen, they're not. They haven't played that great. They're not one of the best ones. I but to your I want to circle back to your first point, which is I have always felt world Cup time. All right, what's the US plan? Hold the other team to zero and hope you score on a set piece. It's just been like, if you're playing a good team and you're the US, that's the only way. It's like you sure shit better get shut them out and you know, you get a little lucky or something, you know one as they say, moment of magic. That's not this team at all at all. This team. It's you probably gonna need to score three because you might give up a few, but one, right, but you can score Oh yeah, it's and let's I have the We talk a lot about how much coaching matters in the NFL versus the NBA. Yeah, it seems to me man like I guess they call it managing, but managing in soccer might be on level with coaching in the NFL as far as the importance and setting awall aros, instilling belief, all of Patino has been unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He's just you know, I always said this when Wemby came into the NBA, he was US. Yes, he wanted to win everything. He very domestic. Giannis wasn't you catch you kitch? Can't get home fast enough? Webby's like, I'm gonna do the monk thing for a couple of weeks, but I'm gonna come back and start training and I want to win the NBA All Star Game MVP. I can be a villain al throw elbows, none of this nonsense about well, I'm gonna slowly integrate into the American system. And I think po Chattino his greatest asset has been Okay, guys, I've done this. We're we're skilled, We're at home. Many of the good teams are young or a little old. You can I use these Seahawks as a comparison. Our thirteen best players are all in their prime correct or going into it. That is that was what Seattle was last year. The Rams were good, but they had holes, you know, right, and the Rams are a little creaky at certain spot Seattle.
Speaker 2: Every spot you're like, oh, he's in his prime. Two. That's rare in sports.
Speaker 1: That was the early Chiefs with Mahomes, when Kelsey was getting a little old but was still late prime. You're like, every one of their best players is in their prime.
Speaker 2: Right. The only young guy was Mahomes, and it is the only guy who wasn't supposed to be in his prime yet was the quarterback, but he got to his prime imediately. The U, Yes, the US. It is a real question of like, man, how many guys on this team will be around in twenty twenty six, Like it's the core will Yeah, I think I think three of the four best players will. But in general, my point is this is if you would have said ten years ago, here, you know, uh, looking in the future, here's the twenty five guys they're gonna be on your next three World Cup teams. What's the one where you're gonna have the best combination of them aging being at their peak. We just said twenty twenty six. So all the fact that we are now going into the knockout rounds because we clinched early, we don't have to worry about any of the yellow card accumulation. All those guys set Polisic, who how do I put this, seems to be a little fragile. Seems like he doesn't necessarily play. He needs to be one hundred percent to want to go. Yeah, I'm not you know, I really hope he doesn't get god forbid, kicked in the calf again and have to miss ten days in the World Cup. But he's healthy, and I think they feel great. And I thought Buchattino was so funny when he was scolding the media when he was like, you guys are acting like we go home in Turkey A advances like we won the group. We didn't need to win this game, and they're gonna get even more confidence. I would amage because I think they'll beat Bosnia handily and then we'll see. I had it in front of me before. I'm gonna pull it up again. It's we played Belgium, but Belgium's gotta win, and so I want to see who the other team is. I don't think it's totally set yet, but I'll pull it up. But yeah, I think they're gonna make the quarters. And I think we're gonna have the United States playing Spain in a World Cup quarter five.
Speaker 1: And I think we match up fine with Spain. I don't think anybody matches up with France.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, France looks really, really good.
Speaker 1: So I was saying this, you know, every week I do that Colin right, Colin wrong, And I don't mind being wrong, but I like being right more than wrong. And I said, losing to Turkey A proves a twenty year point I've had so anytime the American soccer team loses, you gotta blame Jurgen Klinsman, Bruce Arena, Greg Berhalt. It's always the coach correct And it's like, but why do all of our coaches before Pochettino play the same counterattacking style, heavy on set pieces. That's right, because we can't attack our personnel. It's the same if you have a bad secondary, you got to be very careful about bringing extra people in the pass rush right, great corners, jail break, bring everybody. Okay, So suddenly last Pochatino's hyper aggressive, so it's not a scheme thing. He didn't have any tactical blunders. We played our backups and couldn't dominate possession, sloppy, and it's like, it proves my point. It's not a coaching thing. Our scheme did not change. We went hyper aggressive all sports our day. Andy Reid makes Mahome better. Mahomes be fine without it. He may not get the rings, but he'd be he'd be great, sure, and and Belichick deserves a lot of credit. But in the end, we have really good players. Now we're fit on the back end, so is England, so is Norway. But when you watch us play, it was so to me, it was so instructive to watch how aggressive we were with our reserve still winning possession. Sloppy, but it was.
Speaker 2: But it proved the value of that, which is it you cannot play that well and just have a couple of great moments and get two goals out of it, as opposed to the previous philosophy, which seemed to be we have to beat perfect tactically because we can't give up a goal and then we hope to have a moment. It's also a hell of a lot more fun to watch. Oh yeah, I did look it up. I couldn't remember. So if in order for you know, assuming we beat Bosnia, yes it might be Belgium, but Belgium's most likely opponent there is Synegal. Senegal absolutely can beat Belgium, and we're not. We've played Senegal before, you've played him in the warm up yet, like we we're not gonna feel it'll be the first time ever if we're in the round of sixteen where we might be favored, and if we're not favored, we're all gonna feel like, oh, well, that's a coin flip like, we definitely can win that game. And it does seem like historically, and it's felt this way this tournament, that there is no event in sports where home field advantage has a bigger impact than the World Cup. It does just feel like the it's impossible for the officials not to somewhat get caught up in the emotion of the crowd and fifty to fifty calls go the home team's way and the other team gets a little more rattled by in what's supposed to be a neutral site tournament their games being you know, as raucous and rowdy of a hostile fan base as they're going to experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, it's just there's so many things to be excited about. And I've said this before. Of course I root for Fox, I root for hard Rock, bet, I worked for my corporate sponsors and my partners, but it could not work out better. The weather MESSI Ronaldo Harry Kane. And it's interesting. Some people were worried that it would dilute the field when they added teams, but most, I mean, some of these African nations, I don't know any thing about their teams, but dude.
Speaker 2: They've been so I'm I'm very competitive, speaking a hard rock bed I have. I am all in on Dr Congo tonight. All in the African nations have been underrated. Congo advances with a win. Who's Bekistan. I'm not gonna act like I've Scott Usbekstan, but I've watched their games. They don't seem to be good and Congo and they're only minus one forty like so the I'm going to Portugal Columbia, I have no you know, insight on that. But the African nations have I think been pretty undervalued by the odds makers, and they have been really competitive. And to your point.
Speaker 1: About no pressure and tons of motivation correct to come back.
Speaker 2: And but your point about I saw your our colleague, but a guy who's been on your podcast a couple times, Michael Mobile, will say, yeah, if the US big, if if they were to make a World Cup final, it would do the same type of ring domestically as the NFC Championship game. He said, fifty to sixty million people's crazy would watch it. Even if the US, you know, let's just say the US gets pop, doesn't make it past the quarters, which is you know, really where it's projected. If the bracket holds, this is what we are looking at. In the quarterfinals, France playing either Netherlands or Morocco. Ne horse, it went well. They if they can get past Morocco in round of thirty two, they got a great chance. The bottom left part of the bracket quarterfinal in La July tenth Spain US seems like a pretty cool game. Wow. The quarterfinal here in Miami July eleventh, that would be Brazil against England or Mexico. If Mexico upsets them, either way Brazil England be sick. And then the other quarterfinal in Kansas City July eleventh, what I would imagine will be the highest rated non World Cup five in world history. Again, if the bracket holds, Argentina Portugal Messi Ronaldo for an opportunity to go to the semi final, and I understand that's just going with the chalk. But this has been while an exciting tournament. As I said, all ten groups have been won by the favorites. This has been a chalk chalk ish tournament, which is because the star has been so good. I'm just I'm super excited about it, and I do think there is now an element of and you need a moment like this. And the other big thing about the domestic World Cup is the time zones. You need the games not at three am, just like the Olympics. Correct, It's like it's less important that the game is in the United States and more than it's in this hemis federal. The last World Cup that I was this into was twenty fourteen Brazil. Because Brazil is on the same time zones as US, I wouldn't going to the games anyway, So what did I care? Yeah? I do think this will create more interest domestically in the MS, in the English Premier League and in following these stars well throughout their regular seasons.
Speaker 1: Today's show is brought to you by our friends and are presenting sponsor hard Rock Bet Florida Sports Book Listen, the world's biggest soccer tournament is here. Everybody seen the ratings, everybody's watching National Pride on the line, Superstar is chasing immortality and for the next month, every match feels like a final. If you haven't tried hard Rock Bet yet, this is the time. Hard Rock Bet is a top rated sportsbook app the best built to Viva la copa whether you're back in your country betting on your favorite superstar, building the same game parlay for the biggest matches of the tournament. Hard rock Bet is your way to get in on the action. And if you're ever late to kickoff, don't worry. Hard rock Bet lets you live bet all match long, first minute, final whistle, and we're talking profit boosts, no sweat bets, bonus bets, and More'll be sure to check out no Goals, No Problem and Supersub, two promos designed to give your bets insurance all tournament long. So sign up hard rock Bet today. Place a five dollars bet if it wins. You also score one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets a winning bet plus an extra one hundred and fifty to bet with right now. That's how you get the summer started. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sports but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bets live in Arizona, Ohio, Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan. Download the hard rock Bet app today, Roll with us, Goal with Us. Hard Rock Bet offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. And all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically president in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concern about gambling in Florida, call one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana, if you are somebody you know as a gambling problem wants help, call what eight hundred and nine with it? In Arizona, Ohio, Virginia, call one eight hundred. My reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler. You you're going to laugh at me for saying this, But I think one of the things that helps us is there has been a capitalization, uh, geopolitical growth from the United States for the last ten years, and that is separated from Europe. I just read a story in The Atlantic flying down. I have a subscription to The Atlantic, is why did Britain get poorer than Mississippi? And it's a big it's big discussion of Jamie Diamond and all these you know, financiers in New York. We have separated from eurom well, that plays to our strength because a lot of these soccer stars to get into the MLS to get Ken Griffin a financier of Citadel. He's the one that paid for Pochatino, Yes, he's so. The reality is rich guys like to be part of good momentum and cool stuff. Correct, And if we can get to a final eight, I can see a world in which we're like, we're going to go over there and we're gonna make big bids, try to get some better plays. Because Fouler and remember was only valer Badgan is only on our team eligible because his flight attendant said mom too pregnant to fly.
Speaker 2: So lady get that. Lady should get uf. We find her and get her a ticket to the next US and increasingly in the World Cup. You're not necessarily born in the.
Speaker 1: Country or of the country, so there's a lot of gray area there. And my take is our explosion of capital in the United States and in the Americas could be a big advantage going forward. That's why momentum here could really be a huge part.
Speaker 2: It's also why and where we put the cart a little before the horse here. And I know you want to get to other stuff It's also why that game against Bosnia is the biggest game in the history of the US men's national team. And I know that sounds crazy because it's around the thirty two game. We once played a round of eight game against South Korea. I get that that team, that team to get to the round of eight had won one game in regulation. They had to win, a draw, a loss, and then a penalty kicks. Win this every as long as they beat Bosnia, this will feel like such a massive domestic success for soccer. There will be no shame if they lose in the round of sixteen. I think they'd be able to beat Belgium or Senegal or Korea, anybody they can play there, but there would be no shame in it. But if you do all of this and then it's and then all of a sudden, because we have, oddly, thanks to the Turkey a game, lost thirteen straight games against European teams, and there's a little fluke to that little this. But then if all of a sudden, Bosnia clips US as the sixty third ranked team in the world, it will feel like it was for naught. But you win that game, and they should win that game. They're huge favorites to win that game. Then you start to you know, you start to believe crazier things can happen again. Korea made the semifinals when they hosted this tournament. There are six of the host nation in history. Their single best World Cup appearance or you know, best World Cup the furthest they've ever gone in the World Cup in their nation's history is when they hosted it.
Speaker 1: This is an opportunity for the US to do so. There was a massive move this week in the NBA. It just happened to be in Miami, which is I'm a believer in it. Although I think they're old. They need a play creator, a shot creator. Wig is Now, I get it. This is why you're so hot. You you knew we had this event coming.
Speaker 2: I didn't. You're like, oh, I'm gonna get Nick on the record that he thinks this is You're making me sound as calculated as that Nick thinks this is a bad trade. Well, I, Colin Goward, I think it's a good trade. And then we're gonna do a live show in Miami where he has to defend it.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Sorry, Well, first of all, I think Bam and Janna start the second and third best defensive bigs in the league after Wimby. So I think, and I do think, in the Eastern Conference you can be completely flawed. Detroit had no number two score Tobias Harris Durham. It's like in the regular season in the East, you go in a lot of games, there's a lot of bad in the middle of bottom. There isn't in the West. But what's interesting is the story this week where Mario Chalmers, who was always really drove Lebron crazy when they were here. Sure, I came and watched a couple of Heatles games and Lebron and Mario Chalmers would argue incessantly during time out too.
Speaker 2: It was such a story. When they won the title, President Obama made fun of them about it. They're like, you blame Mario for everything, Like, yeah, that was definitely a thing, but what did he say?
Speaker 1: So basically, Mario said, if you went to Lebron and said, well we need bench in athleticism, we'll take Bronni and Lebron would be the play initiator, not share the ball and have to pretend he's not Austin Reeves, which is kind of an insult but understandable. At his age, but in Los Angeles, Lebron has to pretend he's not better than this. It's the third option. Miami goes, yeah, we have size, we have no play initiators. You've never liked to be around the basket defensively. You want to beat the fast breakout at the free throw on extended. We'll take Bronny, which by the way, he will.
Speaker 2: Play in Miami.
Speaker 1: And I'm lebron and I'm like, thirteen percent state tax to zero my son plays could start with if Mitchell has any injury. I mean, they really don't have a point guard of note.
Speaker 2: I mean, sure, no, I'm so.
Speaker 1: My take is, and I don't think I think the Lakers what they want to do. I think they're negotiating for Walker Kessler. They're just kind of get the number to be thirty three and not thirty eight because it traps them going forward.
Speaker 2: Although I like Walker Kessler.
Speaker 1: But my take is then they go to Lebron and go, listen, we want you back, and there's no room.
Speaker 2: You got to take fifteen.
Speaker 1: What they don't what they don't want to do, is have Rich Paul dictate terms because they do need a big there. I mean, if you look at now Oklahoma City is going to do Hartenstein chet and and Ma Mara.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they dressed three. So it's like, sorry, guys, you have to have a big and wants.
Speaker 1: It's just the way the Western Conference works. So and now you have Bam and Giannis over in the East. So my take is Lebron to Miami. You say, well left on bad terms, Dan Gilbert and Lebron. It was torched, correct, it was inconceivable that they could come back.
Speaker 2: So if you are asking me, would my feelings about the Heat's ability to contend this year change if they added Lebron James, Yes, they would. What do I want that to happen? Absolutely? So here's I'm not sure how much Lebron's family loved Miami. I don't know if that is you know, it's not like returning to Cleveland, where you're from. It also is if his daughter doesn't you know, if it seems like it's just a one year thing and his family's going to stay in LA that is obviously way further than Golden State. So there are some what I would call logistical complications to it. But from a basketball standpoint, everything you said I agree with one hundred percent because my concern about Miami as president constituted is Giannis is such a great player, assuming that the health issues he's had the last few years he can get over. He is. He gives you a floor to your offense, but the ceiling does not exist if you do not have shooting and shot creation outside of him. That's right, and right now they don't have it. They don't have it, and they are you know, they're staring at having to lose Norman Powell, their best three point shooter. Wiggins to me is declining. Davion Mitchell is a great defender, but is not a good offensive player. You know, Bam, I know eighty three points not with sands into thirty two? Correct, No, no, no. And so Miami is presently constituted will be one of the best defenses in basketball. But I think Flaty not have enough offense to win three, let alone four rounds in the playoffs if they, yes, would Lebron solve all of that? Yes, a hell of a lot of it, because it's not only his offense, but what we saw from him in the first round of the playoffs this year. What as as soon as he goes back to hand on the control's offense initiator mode, everyone's three point percentage goes up a percent or two because he's such a good passer, he understands getting other guys involved. So I like as a basketball fit, I like all of that, And there are not a lot of basketball fits I that. Let me rephrase it as far as let's just say Lebron is leaving the Lakers, which again I don't think is the most likely outcome, even though the Lakers have been wanting him to leave, even though he's been yes their most reliable players since he's been there. The basketball fits are mostly places I couldn't see him going like he would fit. He would make Houston a snap contender and fit perfect, no question. He's not going to Houston. No, he would make Detroit a snap contender and fit with them instantly. He's not going to Detroit. He Denver would be It would be great, and his buddy kind of owns the team. So maybe that's the possibility, but I don't think it's likely. Golden State would be finding. Yeah, but they can't win unless they also somehow find a way to get Anthony Davis. They are just not gonna be a good enough defensive team Cleveland. He's in the exact same prop position he's in with the Lakers, which is well, I am market. So you have Donovan Mitchell's your number one, Fine, that's Luca. Then you have this James Harden guy. Here's the thing about me and James Harden. I'm way better than him, just like he is with Austin. But those guys are only can only play with the ball in their hands. So I have to play this Swiss army knife role, which is kind of a bummer. And as a Lebron fan, I don't want to see him finishing his career as a third option, like when he's still this good. So for all those reasons, Miami, you know, checks a lot of boxes, he has a history there. They could absolutely win the title. They need him. He would have the ball in his hands. So I love the idea of it. I just don't think he's coming back to the East Coast. I would love it if he did. God, I would love it. If he did. It would be sick. You would have to maybe get what you know you have. You have properties somewhere in Florida. I don't want to reveal it. You wouldn't maybe have to add some down here.
Speaker 1: No, it's I I I love Florida like Texas. I don't get it's flat, there's no water Florida. I totally get Texas drive by. And I've said this before. I'm a huge college football fan. Anybody listens to the show knows I love college football. And my take has always been, there are three programs in college foot but it's mostly a rural sport. It's you know, Tuscaloosa, it's ann Arbor. There are three semi professional college programs, USC, Miami and Texas. When they're good, the sport's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: And so if USC and I think they'll be good because they have pro guys on the offensive line first time since Pete Carrolly days, so they'll they'll be able to, you know, play Big ten football. I am so happy when I see a guy wearing to Miami Hurricane shirt because anybody my age knows that college football used to be there, used to be this. It was pretend we do not pay the players.
Speaker 2: This is above board.
Speaker 1: And we all knew Southern teams paid them through the church. We all understand, and Miami did on boats right like we all understood it, and USC had bags of money too.
Speaker 2: We all got it. College football now is like, not only do we pay them, we pay sophomores in high school.
Speaker 1: It's like college football grew up. It's like we all knew it was happening. Now you can just when you go out on your boosters yacht. Everybody knows. It's just not for scrambled eggs, toast and signing day.
Speaker 2: It is for money. And I think my take has always been with college football, can we stop this veneer that it's called.
Speaker 1: It's like the Olympics, it's for pros Usain Bolts that making ten million a year. The fact that Miami and not nothing against Gainesville and Tallahassee Florida Gator fan right now huge Miami needs to be good for the sport to feel big.
Speaker 2: Well it also listen, there is there are not there is a you're talking about when you know, I'm I'm a little bit younger than you. But they had so they had the Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 1: Era, the U schnellen Berger ericson Jimmy. They all won even butch Davis won.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's and then they had you know, when I was graduating high school, thereabouts like late nineties, early two thousands, some of the most outrageous teams and depth charts in the history of the sport. They won a title, they also had another title stolen from them on the call. But you like the two I don't know, I was one or o two Miami Hurricanes where it's like they have five pros at running back, they have three pros at tight end.
Speaker 1: There the those teams were probably second most talented to that Joe Burrow teams. See it literally had nineteen Those Miami teams were.
Speaker 2: I think they were. They so that and so there is an element of like when we talk about the biggest brands in college football, I'm forty years old, Notre Dame has never had a team that like the Reggie Bush USC teams, right, those Miami teams I just mentioned. You just mentioned an LSU team, the Vince Young Texas team, like, there are a lot of programs that, in my again my whole life, have had higher, more holy ceilings than Notre Dame and Notre Dame like kind of I think still kind of reputationally thinks it's in that class, but again, for almost a half century, it hasn't been. It hasn't even had those highest high moments. And I am curious if the what the new age of college football, like you're saying, where the it's not corruption anymore, it's just legalized paying the players. If that does that even the playing field, or does it temporarily in the playing field, And then the biggest historical powers are just if everyone's gonna pay be able to pay guys, then I think will the kids be like, well, I'd rather play.
Speaker 1: For a school that has a history like my Well, here's what's happening, here's what's really happened with NIL. A lot of the teams that were good are still good. But it is called college football. So when Alabama was dominating or Georgia's and a lot of the schools that were dominating nothing against Ohio State, but you didn't think of academics. You thought of football, not the college part the NIL. What you want is rich boosters. Well, Vanderbilt, the average the median income of a Vanderbilt grad is double of Georgia.
Speaker 2: So now suddenly all.
Speaker 1: These guys at Vanderbilt make it. I mean, I live in a neighborhood up in Chicago where Matt Ishbia Vanderbilt Grad has a house that's bigger than the last Ski Lodge I was at.
Speaker 2: He's bought the White Sox. He's bought, so he's a Vanderbilt guy. There's Matt. There's two of them.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, so I know I went to a Cubs game in there day. He was sitting right behind us. So nice, I mean, like down to earth, great guy. But the point being is Indiana is an academic the School of Business, Vanderbilt academic. Miami's got a great academic reputation. So the college in college football now suddenly matters within IL. It's a lot of the schools that have good football programs but are known. Miami's known for its law school and it's academics. But it is that the idea, It's just a money grab. It's like, no, it's the schools. And by the way, college kids are now staying in college longer.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. Well, that to me is the most the most interesting. That last part is the most interesting. We haven't yet seen it how it plays out impact of in IL, which is, are we going to all of a sudden, let's like, let's take running backs. Yeah, as a for instance, where most years, this year may be a bit of an outlier that you're the number one running back in the draft might be projected to go mid second round. That's right. And where a college a guy who's like the number three running back in the class and because of that is projected to be a third round pick stays in school not to improve his draft position, but because he can make more money, no question, being a star college running back yep than a rookie pays scaled third round pick NFL running back.
Speaker 1: That's a great point because running back is the last position in pro football offensively you can hit.
Speaker 2: Him anywhere anytime when they come through the line, knees.
Speaker 1: Shoulder, helmet. Can't hit receivers, tight ends like that. So it is the one it's the most punitive position to play. So it kind of stinks to be a running back yep. And to your point, guys are going to stay in college and say, I mean I'm gonna make four to be the number one running back at Ohio State or six hundred thousand to go to the Jaguars, correct, And so I do. So it's a way of paying the running back, yes, but it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be not on the on the NFL's time. I think there's a lot of things that people are So that's one thing about and how that impacts Oh well, that actually mean because one of the reasons running backs don't get paid is because it's like, oh wow, they're just so easy to come by, like you just draft from the fifth round. Well, if some of that supply is now staying in college to the NFL guys, But then all of a sudden, do the NFL running backs get a boost and pay? And then does are we seeing or are we starting to get down a road where when if every draft seven of the twenty five best players or wide receivers, because it seems like three the last four drafts, like ye I got eight wide receivers in round one, I got seven, then are we coming to a place where what happened to running backs sou wise happens to receivers, which is teams are like, yeah, I unless you are Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson JSN. If you are, it's a bubble the wide receiver. If you're Michael Pittman, uh caliber guy, Yeah, I'm not paying you eighteen million dollars. You can just draft away. I mean there's there's ten new ones coming in the league every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's football is the coaching sport, and therefore it's very cyclical on who matters. Safeties now are hugely important. Tight Ends didn't use to matter. Tight Ends now are gigantica Sean McVay, I mean, tight ends because of Kittle and Gronk emerged as a more important position.
Speaker 2: I can remember Travis Kelcey and there Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 1: Yes, when Andy Reid and Philadelphia started throwing on third and two, it was like the league's changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he he he, and I talked about that years ago.
Speaker 1: He started listening to the show and I'm like, there's a guy in Philadelphia, which is kind of a blue collar, tough town, they.
Speaker 2: Throw on third and two. The league's changing.
Speaker 1: And then now with McVeigh going to personnel where I mean, they have like five tight ends and you notice this year how many tight ends went and it was a mediocre tight end class. So football tends to be like anything else, like housing in the market. It's very very cyclical because coaching matters so much. My favorite part about sports is not the tradition. It's not the rear view mirror. It's the windshield. These leagues constantly change, Like Minnesota fascinating. Minnesota's like, we're gonna get rid of nas Reed and Julius Randall because I think they look at Oklahoma City and Wemby and.
Speaker 2: They're like, the only way we can beat them now is shooters and athletes.
Speaker 1: So they get the kid from Chicago at the trade deadline, they draft the kid Isaiah from Duke the top of the second round. They go get LaMelo ballt So you can tell what Minnesota's doing. They figured it out the trade deadline. We can't Wemby's eating playing go bear off the court. We're gonna go speed. That's the only way to take bigs out. So that's constant, the constant change culturally in football and basketball bas now, it's just that's what I love about sports. Constant, Like we're seeing it in soccer, We're seeing it in everything. So I can we stay with the LaMelo trade for a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah? So because Tim Connolly, right, Tim Connolly built the Nuggets smart, he then got hired to build the Timberwolves. Yeah, and he built a team specifically to beat the Nuggets, right, and he did it. They beat them they when the Nuggets were defending champs, the Timberls beat them in seven. The Timberwolves this year played him again in the first round. They were all banged up. They beat him anyway, But unfortunately for him, I think he realized, Shit, the team I built my team to beat is no longer the team to beat like and so now San Antonio is he thinks potentially the team to beat. So we got to build a team that can counteract Wimby. Speed it up. With that said, unless that then the next phase of his plan is and so now when the Spurs come to Minnesota on these icy roads, maybe Lamello can get in a bender bender with Wimby and not Gonna. I don't I do not I am. I understand pivoting. I understand them saying we've got to remake this, that Julius Randall's not a playoff performer that you know, as beloved as Nasrid is, we feel like we can replace him. I get all of that. I do not understand for the life of me, why if you're trying to play championship level basketball you would say, LaMelo Ball, we want you to be a part of that. I don't I don't. I do not they. I do not think there is a level of maturity and being an adult that is requisite if you are going to be a best or second best player, which he needs to be the second best guy on a championship team. And I have no reason to believe that he can do that. And here's the other thing I will say. It would be very concerning for me if a team drafts a guy number two, sees him every day. He is coming off his healthiest year, your team's best year, his best year. Yeah, and that's when they're like, we better get out of this now. Well, it feels a little like it like front running a stock you know is gonna crack. So not every stock is a core holding.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you have game Stop and you wait for game Stop to go up and you're like, I'm selling that shit, making money and getting out. It's not a core holding. It's not Intel, Microsoft, whatever, Amazon. So the question is, eh, he just made LaMelo a core holding. Charlotte looked at him, like game stock. Charlotte's like this get A year ago, he had no market. Now he's got a hot one. Let's get so I get Charlotte. The reason I think it works kind of in Minnesota. I think Finch is a top five coach. I think they have a real culture and is still the star.
Speaker 2: And there's enough.
Speaker 1: Part of me thinks Conley's like, Okay, you got a Rods and Owner, it's gonna be Really they were good last year, but they underachieved. They weren't terribly entertaining despite having Aunt. And my take is they're a bad watch with a great player. So this makes them wildly interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh, it does make them interesting, and it will the highlights will be crazy, and there will be moments where the offense looks unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And also Isaiah Evans and the Chicago kid can both catch and shoot athletes. The bottom line is LaMelo is they think he's got the hands, great handles, He'll get the ball to shooters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they think he's going to be an offensive engine for him. And if you were going to build a team that could deal with LaMelo's just doesn't give a damn defense. Ants who's a great defender. Jaden McDaniels is an unbelievable If Rudy Goberts like they have the Tarren Shannon was out there, they have the right personnel to deal with and LaMelo's at least long his defensive liabilities. But my my concerns would be these, While we've never seen LaMelo in the playoffs, we have seen him in the play in three times. Yeah, and in the history of the play in three of the four biggest blowouts, LaMelo Ball was the center of He has played awfully in all those games. So it's like, ah, is he a playoff guy? I don't know. He's six years and hasn't been in the playoffs, but does playoff adjacent stuff hasn't been good. But the other concern Hive is this, are we sure LaMelo Ball doesn't think he's still the best player on the team he's on. He's the same draft class as Ant Well that one Rookie of the Year when Ant was there. He's been the best player on every team. The only time he's ever had a teammate that he thought was better than him was his big brother. Does he and like, if he totally accepts, yeah, I'm the number two, this is Anthony Edwards team, then maybe, But I don't know if that's his personality.
Speaker 1: Well, is he humbled because Charlotte moved on? I mean, I guess I think all the concerns are legitimate. I heard Ryan Rossello is like, I hate the move. I get that between the coach, between and between the shooters. I thought they were a bad watch clunky off. Their pace in the playoffs was pretty good. I think that to combat the size of Wemby and the size of OKC and we're gonna be fast and athletic can shoot, and we're gonna shoot our way to win because we can't. I mean, Julius Ryannold takes the ball to and he kills half court SATs. He's a ball stopper. All right, let's let's pivot back to why we're here. Hard Rock Bet thanks for all the support and the World Cup once again established.
Speaker 2: You will be at the game tonight. You said you have not bet it yet. I have not, No, So here's the deal. I'll just be honest with the folks here on how this is gone. So a I have tried this World Cup to stay like, be very disciplined and sharp with what I'm doing. And I see and I'm doing this in the midst of everyone else in the world. All the marks, all the marks are like, hey, you know what my plan is? All the best players are gonna score multiple goals, and I'm a parlay that ship together. And I'm like, you rubes that'll never hit and then hit every time every time, watching these children make these bets and they're like, oh, it's great, and then I and I'm like, well, you know what I'm I'm on a I'm on England to be to just to win the game against Ghana, zero zero draw? How about how about the open the World Cup Spain. You're gonna beat Cape Verde, right, no, no, zero zero draw? So I so you know, I'm digging myself out. You tried to be this. I try to be a sophistic exactly right. I'm like, oh, yeah, it's listen, minus four hundred sounds bad, but i mean, do you do smoke? So you've got some that's I'm a retired smoker. But yes, all that's true. So with that said, like I really like I so Algeria Austria's today. Both teams advance with a draw. Both teams go home if they lose, which says to me, man, this is gonna be a game of keep away. They're both fine with a zero zero draw. So I'm sitting there. Croatia is playing Ghana today, Ghana has already advanced. Croatia advances with a draw or a wind goes home with a loss, and there is not in Ghana might actually prefer the path they get if they lose and they're the third place team and Isys the second place team. So I like Croatia. I already explained why I like d r Kango. Portugal. Colombia is tricky to me because I can't figure out with respect to the Colombian fans here, and I think Colombia is a dangerous team and they've been awesome in this tournament. Awesome. Portugal, in theory, is supposed to be the better side. They are the sixth ranked team in the world. They are the favorites for a reason. But we also have seen them play twice in this tournament, once against the legitimate opponent, and it looked like that the team hated their all time legend and the coach was scared of him. That wasn't good. And then one game against was it Uzbekistan? Yeah, it was against Uzbekistan. They put up five goals and people like, okay, everything's fine. Does Portugal truly have a Christiano Ronaldo problem in that he is the not only the aging all time legend, but the aging all time legend who there is some resentment amongst the teammates because he's not producing the way he wants to was and for him and all of a sudden new insecurity of well, I can't like it's one thing for Imbape and Holland and Vinnie Junior to be doing this, but Messi, who is my a one rival and aid contemporary, is crushing so I think that has put extra pressure on him. So I say all that to say this, I think the best chance Columbia has to win today is Christiano Ronaldo making the game about himself. Yeah, because I think Portugal's overall midfield talent and overall talent should be enough to win a game they need to get or they want to get, but not if Ronaldo does what he did in the first game. So that's my stance on it. I still haven't bet it yet. I also kind of feel like I want to bet it when I'm in the stadium, yes, and have a better sense of who I'm sitting with is rooting for, because I don't want to be rooting if I'm really in my head it's a coin flip. I kind of want to just go with, you know, the vibe of the section I'm in that feels like the right thing. Right. It's like, if I'm sitting with these people, I'm gonna bet Columbia. I'll tell you that much right now.
Speaker 1: You know What's one of the things I've really Bill Maher talked about this last night. It's so great to see all these people come into America and they love ranch dressing. They Nacho's ranch dressing.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if nachos are Americans, and I don't know that we get those, but yes, there are there is an element there. I have really enjoy things. Yes, I have enjoyed that. There has been a great and that's what the World Cup is, man. There has been a great blending and melding of you know, obviously people from all over the world, but people experiencing uniquely American things that we maybe take for granted a bit. Well, I imagine a ton of the people are you know at these games, you know, wearing the Columbia jursey or whatever. Are Americans who live here that are just Colombian, either heritage or just Columbian fans. But there's clearly a ton. I mean, the Kansas City got taken over my hometown by the Dutch this week, like there's not a well, we're not a huge Dutch stronghold in Kansas City outside of the world. I just got back.
Speaker 1: I went with my son. He had to do some stuff overseas. So I went to Madrid for four days. And one of the things when I go. The minute I get on a plane and I'm flying overseas, I immediately lock into Okay, I just want to be euro for six days. I'm just gonna everything shy of smoking and sleeping in my dress socks.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be totally European. I'm gonna drink all day, three hour lunches, drink all day, twelve miles, use public transportation.
Speaker 1: And so I went to Madrid and I'm like, God, this is a great life. I mean, they open up the wine shops early, and I think, what is happening is there are some I ran into a German lady the other day at my gym in a very strong German accent, and I said, you live here in Chicago.
Speaker 2: She says yes. I said, do you miss Germany? She goes yes.
Speaker 1: I said, what do you prefer, and she goes, I prefer Chicago, because she says, sometimes Europe can be inflexible and.
Speaker 2: A lot of regulations.
Speaker 1: She goes, people really celebrate winning here and they're not shy, and they're kind of obnoxious, and she says that's okay. She says, sometimes American the media here makes Americans feel bad for going. We're good and we have ice in our cocktails and air conditioning. Well that you know again, very funny. So I, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Every time I go, my wife and I every August, you know, take we usually go with her grandparents actually, who God bless them, are still with us ninety six and ninety three. Where do you take your beautiful wife? Well that's so every year we take her, I take her and grandparents somewhere in Europe for eight days. And so like last year we did Monico to roll Dice at Casino Monte Carlo and didn't do santro Pe, but get niece Monico into Milan. And this year we are not that her grandparents aren't coming. And this year I finally had the courage to ring up the old bosses at FS want to be like, hey, I'm approaching ten years at the network. That's right. I'm not saying I need the Colin Cowhard vacation plan. However, if I could get two weeks in August instead of one after we're grinding in the World Cup, like I'm usually on vacation right now post finals, not and so I think that's so. I think that's happening. So it's funny you said Madrid, because I think we're gonna start in Madrid and we always rent a car and just kind of drive through. Public transportation in Madrid is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit like La cleaner version and they and you walk everywhere. So here's public transportations unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. I don't mind the public transportation at all within the cities, but the people will be like, oh, take you know, get a europass and you know you o city city like that. Those people have not traveled with my lovely wife sitting right there, who we will take on this trip with us four suitcases, one of them will be empty, and they will go and then and then we will come back with five or six suitcases, two of which we purchased there from all the clothes. So because of that, like going like getting on a train with a There is some you know, a little ugly American stereotype of like, yeah, it's just two of us, we have you know, six stuffel bags in a suitcase rather just rent a car and have them in the drunk. But this World Cup the funny story and maybe this is where as we're I know, we're running short on time. Four years ago, she and I went to Brazil. And the reason we went to Brazil was because I did a whole thing on the podcast about how Brazil was going to win the World Cup. I was betting on Brazil to win the World Cup and I was going to pay for a trip to Brazil with my World Cup winnings. It's the World Cup four years ago. For those of you that aren't soccer officionados, Brazil not only did not win the World Cup, they did not come particularly close to winning the World Cup. Argentina there arch Nemesis won it instead. So I was like, dam lost all that money. I can't go to Brazil anymore. My wife, who I guess wasn't that locked into the tournament, was like, so we're still going to Brazil, right, So that's why we went this year I have kind of done the same thing, which is cast my whole lot with Brazil. I haven't asked you this yet because I think Brazil is gonna win it. I think they've been awesome. I think they're only going to get better, and I think Carlo Ancelotti is the best manager in the tournament. Do you you're pulling for the US, But is your pick France? It sounded like France is the best team. Netherlands is the most underrated team. I don't think though Margentina will win again. I just think it's too hard. Despite Messi's brilliance. I think France looks I always say this, turn down the sound sometimes when I watch football if I think it, team's really good. Houston Texans defense, so you don't have any audio bias, confirmation bias. You watch Texans play and you're like, okay, it just faster than everybody. They get a pass rush, great corners.
Speaker 1: They don't look like anybody see I look like it on both sides, Houston, just on defense. If you turn the sound down, which I did with France, and there's no you get no audio to you can to filter through it.
Speaker 2: They look different. They get there.
Speaker 1: They have six I don't think Polisic, Balligan or Weston McKinney would start.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's no question they would not start. They wouldn't none of though. You're absolutely right, we don't know. No, we have no one on our team that would start for France and their goalies better. Yeah. I think so. France is the most talented team and they're healthy, like Brazil's got the injuries. Spain they're worried about Jumal's hamstring. I think we are. I think that the World Cup of Stars is going to continue, and I think the way the bracket fell is just perfect. I think we are going to get and it's very chalky, but I think we are going to get a semifinal on the left hand side of the bracket of France playing Spain, and a semi final on the right hand side of the bracket of Brazil playing Argentina, the two European powers, the two South American powers, and then the winners play each other, obviously in New York on what is it, the July eighteenth, nineteenth, whatever it is. But I think I think there is a chance that this World Cup is remembered for the greatest Golden Boot race at or where it's just legends score, you know, scoring nine ten eleven goals over the course of the tournament, and almost assuredly the final World Cup for two of the five greatest players ever in Messi and Ronaldo, and a World Cup of some you can no longer deny.
Speaker 1: America deeply cares one hundred percent, one hundred percent, And I think, and I do think you're right that I think that you know, we don't we don't typically get too political, but I would say, I, you know, over the last you know few presidential elections maybe are standing in the world's community has taken a bit of a hit.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of the world community coming to the US and being like, hey, kind of cool not doing a tour that reflecting pool. But aside from that, it ain't so bad over here. Hard Rock Bet, you're awesome. Thanks for showing up.
Speaker 1: I I mean, this guy's wearing dark pants and a brown shirt in Florida heat in June.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of commitment you're making of the World Cup. Thanks everybody that stopped by. This will be on the Hard Rock Bet, It'll be on the volume, It'll be on all our feeds. What's right? The herd hard rock bet everywhere you can find it. It was TikTok. I'm sure to see you guys. WHOA the Long