Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three ten, Episode five of Dirdly's Guys iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Who is that this? Why this this here?
Speaker 3: Whre?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: This this is economy?
Speaker 2: Why this this here?
Speaker 1: Is a podcast where we take a deep back into a very sure consciousness. I just got it at a second hand store. It's very comfortable. Anyways, It's Friday, October twenty seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: A banger of days. National Civic Day, shout out to everybody who has no idea how the government or anything works. National Black Cat Day, shout out to all the owners of black cats, myself included, and our very lustrous guesses. Well, National Frankenstein Friday. Don't know what that is. It's also National bread Stick Day, so you know, holler at your stick bread and National American Beer Day.
Speaker 1: Frankenstime Friday, the day that the events depicted in the Monster Mash actually like historically took place.
Speaker 2: Maybe canonically, yeah, I don't know, but yeah, it's it's always the Friday before or the last Friday in October for whatever.
Speaker 3: I had labor questions about the opening of Monster Mash this year, where it's like, is he compensated for working in the lab late one night, One night is self employed.
Speaker 2: You great. I know that the guy who wrote that song he had like a daughter who he tried to like launch a NEPO baby pop star career with. And it was like it was a music video. My friend made the music video and it's heard Henry Wingler and it was like all about like there's a bunch of horses and anyway, what god, yeah, the sentence there were a bunch of horses. There's like the opening scene of the video is like the main you know, the lyric sis. The singer she's like at a like she's at a horse stable and like Henry Winkler Club comes out all like perplexed. She's like, honey, we got to get the horses. Moonshadow hasn't been fed, and it's like this weird, very poor opening, and then like there's a music.
Speaker 1: Video from the like what year was this taking? This was like two thousand oh okay, so it was like a belated launch. She was like all right, now that this song has officially made it, and everybody is like wondering what day in history it happened on, for instance, maybe maybe we can launch this into something.
Speaker 3: Now does that Are we to believe that it's it's possible that Henry Winkler owed Boris Bobby Pickett a favor, and if so, what could it happen?
Speaker 2: What went down there?
Speaker 3: Does Boris Bobby Pickett know something about Henry Winkler that would lead him to have, like to have to be in this because if it's mid two thousd Henry Winkler, like he's back. He was the dad in Holes.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like pre arrested development post holes. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it was like it was kind of an in between you know, it's a bit of a lean period. I think it was right before he like we fully re embraced Henry. But anyway, wow, so he was just like yeah, hell yeah, fuck it, I'll do it. Yeah, my shadow is hungry. Fine, I can, I can, I'll kill that line.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Uh what what a what a story to kick us off with.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, if I find the video, it'll be in the footnotes. Trust this.
Speaker 1: Frankenstein Friday? Is that what it is? Frankenstein Friday?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So is it?
Speaker 1: I want it must be the last Friday before October.
Speaker 2: Thir last Friday of October Frank Stein Frank.
Speaker 1: Sean, Well, my name is Jack O'Brien. I forget where I am just generally.
Speaker 2: Aka what rice?
Speaker 1: It's built in my pants while I was on the ride, not wooter ice. I swear it's not pissed. It's just waater ice. That is courtesy of First Blood five two. We can't move on from this, can we? Aka writers, We're still on the fact that I ghost pissed my pants on a child's ride.
Speaker 2: That was very scary.
Speaker 3: I was not brought up to speed on that.
Speaker 1: But oh, you didn't read your daily briefing, you Jamie lost this daily briefing presidential daily briefing.
Speaker 3: I don't feel I feel like I know and I and if I don't know, how I'm thinking of it is better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yah yeah, and that shorts on. Yeah. On the by the way, ghost, it's a good thing. Abba.
Speaker 1: We're not from Philly, I guess because Waterloo does wit yeah if it's wood Loo. Anyways, I'm throwing to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gras.
Speaker 2: Yes, my name is Miles Gray aka oh kiss me beneath.
Speaker 4: My lace, sick eyesight, teach me to keep my eyelids close, leave yours open and look at me, stay and meet my wide eyed glance. Eyeballs now touching, so kiss me. Shout out to sybodoor Jolly on the discord. Yes, you know, Durante was on earlier and was talking about how, you know, having some kiss chemistry issues with dates and just say, you know what, we probably can't go on any more dates because the chemistry is off. And I, you know, she's talking about being honest with people, and I had to say, shout out to my high school girlfriend and said, stop keeping your eyes open when we make out, and you need to hire those lessons. So shout out to you making that.
Speaker 2: Eye to open. Yeah, yeah, with eyes wide open.
Speaker 1: And I like the added lore from this song that you were doing that because you were trying to kiss eyeballs with the person. You're trying to touch open the eyeball with them, which is very very intimate, painful, painful, and not very sexy.
Speaker 3: I found it helpful, like, yeah, they're to have to articulate if someone asks you, like like they're the back of an eighteen wheeler, how am I doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And and I and I usually am like great, but then every once in a while, I'm like, how are they doing? And and the this was in like the last year where it was like, I don't know how you're getting your tongue to be flat, but that's not necessary. Someone making their tongue flat like like it had suddenly experienced, you know, like it was like thirty feet you know, subterranean. It was just flattened. It was really interesting. Yeah, So so I feel I also improved at giving feedback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your feedback was just to clarify here, don't have such a flat tongue, weird.
Speaker 2: Keep that ship to yourself. Homing.
Speaker 3: First of all, you're being disgusting.
Speaker 1: This whole thing, this whole act is making me sick.
Speaker 2: Miles.
Speaker 1: We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of the very faces on Mount Site Moore, one of our favorite guests, one of your favorite guests. Emmy nominated writer, artist, comedian behind many of the most acclaimed podcasts like Ghost Church, Bechtelcast. She is the New York Times best selling author of the New York Times best selling book Brod Dog.
Speaker 2: He's Welcome.
Speaker 1: The New York Times best selling author Jamie loved.
Speaker 3: Okay, missus Joey chest Nuts yesting on an open fire. It's at Santa University. Oh you know who's going to be making a little appearance this year in Santa University. That's from A Zombie's and Boni thirteen Like, as if I could know just what you think it couldn't better? What do you think it couldn't get better? That that? Really, I'm so happy to be back.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to have you. It's funny too, like there's so many you know, this get this show is merely a stepping stone and a place people pass through onto greater things, and for many people that become as successful as you. A lot of times listeners are like, oh shit, it's beef. Jamie hasn't been shown. No, Jamie is. Jamie's doing quite well and promoting a New York Times bestseller. So yeah, you know, there's there's.
Speaker 3: Other things happening, and I mean not to mention the beef.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, the beef is ugly and we don't talk about it, but the beef is.
Speaker 3: But but we put aside our differences.
Speaker 2: Well absolutely, and you know we begged you, Yeah, we begged you to come back because like, help us, we'll do anything. You're so mad at us. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: I think this is the first time you've been back since becoming a New York Times bestselling author.
Speaker 2: I believe so thank you.
Speaker 3: For saying it so many times.
Speaker 2: It's dope. It's the dopest thing to say about anybody that you know, your time's best selling obviously, Jamie Loftus. Thanks got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been. It's been. This year's been all over the place. That was a high. That was a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We're very happy for you, proud of you and excited to have you back on the daily. Get I get to know you a little bit better in a moment.
Speaker 2: First, a couple of.
Speaker 1: The things we're talking about. Five nights, five night at Freddy.
Speaker 2: Have you guys heard about this?
Speaker 1: Is this right?
Speaker 5: They're spending five five night at Freddy's, five knighte Freddy. I honestly, I I'm like so stoked for five night at Freddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got a text to be like flower you know, killers of the Flower Moon this weekend, queen, and it's like, well, it's more of a five night at Freddy weekend for me. Killers the Flower Moon. That's a November project. But I have to you know, see is October. I already saw Saw X. I gotta see Five Night at Freddy. I got to see that fifth night. I'm hanging in for the fifth night.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reviews are in and they are bad. I had a friend I have tried not to learn what five Nights at Freddy is. Five knight Freddy, five Night Freddy. I had a friend be like, it's the latest nightmare on ELM Street movie right, even, I know that's not correct. But now that you're saying five knife Freddy, I mean, who who's guy with five knife on his hand? Five knife?
Speaker 2: Ready? Right? I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: All that plenty more. But first, Jamie, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Okay, so something for my search history is a guy I'm just completely enamored with, move Over Joey Chestnut. Monty Revolta is who has been on my mind. I have either of you heard of Monty Revolta. I was really desperately trying to write a last minute Halloween profile of Monty Volta, but he tragically does not seem to know how He's the internet very well.
Speaker 1: But like I.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I forget if we ever talked about this on TDZ. But I worked at ant at the Haunted hay Ride last year in Griffith Park. Yea, yeah yeah, and it was a very you know, meaningful experience to me. I have a lot to say about it today, and I went back because the one thing that I didn't get to do while I was at the hay Ride, as like, in addition to like being treated like a person, was I never got to see I never got to see the like main stage huge show which is this lounge undead lounge singer named Monty Rivolta. Oh wow, he is the star of the hay Ride. I never got. I never even knew what he looked like until I looked him up, because he's kind of I'm not going to say he's a diva because I don't know what he's like. But he didn't fraternize with the other scare actors. He wasn't around Oh Manty's scare actors.
Speaker 1: God him learning so much just ambiently try to.
Speaker 3: Keep up with these industry tonic sides that I'm like, they're called scare actors, they're called scared.
Speaker 2: The characters at Universal Halloeen hor nights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's some high rant stuff. We couldn't afford that kind of that kind of vocabulary. But yeah, that's like every every scare actor would you know, you would see Monty's banned and Anty's band would kind of like not well, at least one of them was like kind of swinging swinging his dick around about his proximity to Monty, and there were some really but but I never got to meet Monty. I never had to see him perform. Then I went back this week because I just had to know, you know what changed since last year. It's like visiting I never I have no love for my college, like I would never return, but I would. I will go back to the hair Ride every year as if I graduated from Reunion and Monty unbelievable like I was. I couldn't stop smiling. My friend took a picture of what I looked like looking at Monty and it was like, he's so, he's funny, he comes out of a coffin in the beginning. Oh why he's got little jokes. He's physically huge, He's like nine feet tall, he's every oh it was he's he closed the set on. I will always love you, and at one point adjusted the lyrics to I Will Always love Gohole and I it really hit for me. I love Monty Revolta. I love his website.
Speaker 2: His website is so bizar legendary.
Speaker 1: It is good. It is so good.
Speaker 3: Monte Rivolta and his band of the Living Dead. It was made in you know, a angel fire.
Speaker 2: Look at his clients. He's working with everybody who's doing a freaky fucking thing in the South Lane.
Speaker 3: Oh he doesn't give a ship. I mean well, he and he also the Herson Reptile Show. You know, Monty Rivolta in his Undead band are going to be there. I am like the.
Speaker 1: Winchester Mystery House.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love the kid CBGB's for like Haunted novelty bands. He played the Winch I just like, I think he's so cool and I I kind of love that he is sharing his beautiful art. I cannot figure out what his government name is, to save my fucking life.
Speaker 1: I just love what I'm seeing that somebody. Blake Johnson played Monte Ravolta in Monte Ravolta Acting Dead twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: I've seen, yeah, I've seen Blake Johnson, and I you know, it could be true. I just it doesn't fit his vibe whatsoever. Interesting this nine foot man singing I will always love Gohole. I'm like, that can't be a guy named Blake Johnson.
Speaker 1: I'd lose it.
Speaker 3: I don't understand. I don't know. I've been trying to I've been trying to figure him out. I was like, maybe I could shadow him for a night, but he just crickets crickets, wants nothing to do with me and.
Speaker 1: Lay Deadson maybe, but Blake Johnson come on exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I wonder if he's changed, because I wonder how much crossover there is between this and like hot dog eating specific because there's a guy who I'm I would now consider not a friend but like a heightened acquaintance. This guy Crazy Legs Kanti who that is like now his government name he had it changed, and like maybe Monty Revolta just was like, this is my life. I'm making this and dreadlocks. Crazy crazy Legs most certainly.
Speaker 2: Does love those dreadlocks.
Speaker 3: Also like a really like really really tall, uh physically imposing person has a huge Marx Brothers collection.
Speaker 1: Interesting guy, I feel like you have a type really tall not a real human.
Speaker 3: In reality men who are tini and hate me.
Speaker 2: This guy went to Johns Hopkins Jamie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like super smart, got like lived in l A for a while, like really really a fascinating man. I went to the after party, the like hot dog eating after party, and and like was chatting with him for a while, and I was like, how people are amazing. I have hope for humanity because you know this is possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could look like an Adam Durwitz like impersonator, wear a fedora, and just crush the competitive eating scene.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. He spoke at my New York book release show and was telling this story that I was like, what are you talking about. You're sharing everybody.
Speaker 1: Like like your like new friend that gets invited.
Speaker 2: To the wedding, like.
Speaker 3: Milletant feminist. But he was like telling a story about and like he you know, he was really cool. But he was like, yeah, I was getting ready for this mayonnaise eating contest and I was doing it at this girl's house. Because you don't want to be eating mayonnaise at your house, like, but you do want to be eating it at a girl's house. He's like me, legs, right, So I was like, why would you eat it at your girlfriend's house? He's like, well, she wasn't my girlfriend.
Speaker 1: It was casual, Like whoa, I don't put you know, crazy legs doesn't put labels on things.
Speaker 2: That's called it's a mayon a'se side piece. That dip over.
Speaker 3: Life is beautiful.
Speaker 1: I love So I've been ever since he said Monty Revolta, I've been trying to figure out what that is. It like that, So he's a lounge act, like a lounge singer who is like themed Halloween themed? I am I stupid? Is there an obvious reference there?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is Monty Revolta referencing something?
Speaker 3: Not that I can tell? I forget, Like I I went with somebody and he had like all these ideas, he had all these pitches for what it could be a reference to. He was like, is it Mars Volta? Like that would be weird.
Speaker 1: A Mars Vulta from the early two thousand.
Speaker 3: That would be a very Blake Johnson to do that sounds like a Blake Johnson. That it was a huge Mars Valta. Guy, I can't figure out what it is.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I also can't really tell how long he's been doing it. But I do know that he plays weddings, and that is really lighting a fire under my ass to considered that to get married before he gets too huge. And I can't, you know, get him for weddings anymore.
Speaker 1: Because the Band of the Living Dead would suggest that his wordplay is fairly straightforward. But Monty Revolta, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Travolta is the closest thing I get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm waking, but like Monty Travolta, manty, like Johnny Travolta, Monty Ravolta, who.
Speaker 3: I'll ask him if he ever answers my fucking email. You know, I'm going to hear from him on November fifth, Like it is like talking to it does remind me of like, you know, come July twelfth, Joey chest Night, everyone is you know, temper, He's left everyone's mind temporarily and then you can get him on the horn, right, but you know, June, forget it. July fourth, don't even try.
Speaker 1: Like trying to get get on the phone with my accountant during CAx season Swish, thank you from way Downtown. Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and keep talking to Jamie Loftus we'll be right back, and we're back, and Jamie is back on the show, and we are about to ask you, what is something do you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: So this it does kind of dovetail with the Haunted hay Ride discussion hyper specific conglomerates, because no one I know worked at the Haunted hay Ride this year. Because of this, like there is a Haunted hay Ride and Haunted attraction specific conglomerate which acquired the Los Angeles Haunted Haride and like kind of I don't know, not to sound like gen X about it, but like they sold out and now it's fucking corporate. It's sponsored by Hulu. There's all this shit there, you know. And so yeah, this company Thirteenth Floor, which is a great you know, if you're gonna acquire a bunch of Haunted hayrides, you'd better be called thirteenth Floor. Yeah, but they they, like as far as I could tell, lowered the wages of employees, acquired all these things, sold a bunch of sponsorships to Hulu, jacked up the prices so it cost fifty bucks to go on a hay ride, you know, And and and we can only hope they're compensating Monty Rivolta and his Band of the Living Dead fairly, but I just I take real, real issue. I feel like they're you know, if there was still if it was still a mom and pop population operation, it would still be equally unsafe. You would be taking your life in your hands by attending, but you know it would cost twenty dollars and be fun. Well, not that it wasn't fun. It was very fun, but it does. It's unsettling to go to a local haunted hay Ride and feel that it has gone corporate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, especially like the wonn of Griffith Park, like it had like this you know, homeliness to it. But I guess now by thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group. I mean it was like, are they owned by a venture capital?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 3: Right, Like it has to be someone sucking the fun out of everything. It was still great, but I was here. I was in a hay Ride alumni text group, and most people who went back, they were like, I got put in. It's there. It sounds ridiculous to read the text, but it's like, you know, someone I worked with last year was like, well I quit today. They put me in skeletons, and I was told I could do a stunt, but then I couldn't do a stunt, so I walked out on all the skeletons and I was like, good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like this could just be the entire episode is talking to you about your experience with these haunted houses, like that the local haunted house market has come up a little bit as like we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Like buying the haunted house Instagram. Yeah, we've been talking about the market, like.
Speaker 3: Pete Davidson and Colin Jo's buying a boat, you guys buying a haunted house together.
Speaker 1: So just like that level of like the Instagram activation things like I took my kids to like Bubble World, I think it was called, and it was just like a bunch of balloons, but it's like a whole thing designed around Instagram that seems to be like from about the same level of like employee and thought put into it as a haunted house, but just like not around Halloween, and like they just fill in an old ralphs and stuff like I'm just curious what it was like in the guts of the haunted house industry.
Speaker 3: It seems like, I mean based on how my boss last year behaved. He was he had he had he had just about fucking had it with this with this corporation, and and would start to say there the last night on Halloween night twenty twenty two, uh, he was dressed as legless. From most most nights he would wear you know, like a black shirt and black pants because he was at work and he wasn't he wasn't a scaracter. He was like the actor coordinator, but the but he was growing increased because and he had been in the haunt business for years. He would come around and like he was a super nice guy. He'd come around and like show you pictures of like him and his husband working haunts in the mid two thousands, and then he's like, then i got the leg injury and now you know, I'm happy to be working in a curatorial rolelah blah blah blah blah, and like super super cool guy.
Speaker 1: Love that level of professionalism and like dedication.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was great.
Speaker 3: And he ended up quitting and not coming back because he was being you know, micromanaged and like told that he was being too easy on actors. He was giving us too many breaks and like just he was being nice to us, and so by the end he like made a whole speech to everyone on Halloween night dressed as legless. Not related to the speech, but certainly enhanced it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He was like, I am leaving this business. This season has broken me, and I am like and like he just he was done. They had gone corporate. He had had it and uh and there were so many injuries that like we weren't allowed to talk about. It was really I and then he said he was like, my husband and I may move to Europe. I was like, wasn't that bad? Or was that like an unrelated plan. I don't know.
Speaker 1: He gave Eisenhower speech about the military industrial complex, like on the way out, he was like, this whole industry is fucked.
Speaker 2: Rotten, and you're wondering why I'm dressed because gon door has no king like what stuff.
Speaker 1: But it does also sound because another kind of related at that level, like world that I find super interesting in addition to haunted houses, is like ren Fair, right, Like I feel like ren Fair. Like ren Fair, people might just as well like segue right into Haunted Hayaride acting totally, but I.
Speaker 2: Feel like the Renfair is a little more debauched, though behind the.
Speaker 3: Scenes it is certainly horn horny air. Like I went to my first Renfair this year, so I can't I can't speak to the culture. Yeah, like I can't, but it seems like there's got to be a similar Like there's a real theater kid showing a barn energy to the hay Ride, which I feel like the company, like the corporate interlopers, kind of take advantage of because it's like, oh, if these people get injured, they're not going to say anything because it feels like we're doing community theater and we have to all finish it together. And I'm like, no, we should sue these likely your capital.
Speaker 2: You didn't you get like a promotion last year. I remember I was following your tweets because someone like busted their knee or some ship like a right, Jamie, you're the fucking star tonight.
Speaker 1: Oh that's busted their head and we are using the passive voice into what happened to their head. And just for legal reasons, there's nothing that Jamie had nothing to do with it was not working to work her way up.
Speaker 3: I certainly what if I yeah, what if I was doing it all about.
Speaker 1: Eve just saying you are a huge Tanya fan.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I was murderers. I was cast as murderners too, wow r Yeah. And I was like, you know, I was like a substitute, and I was intended to play a different part every single night because there were so many injury Yeah, and there were so many injuries, and like COVID was going around that there was always going to be like I was looking forward to being like and now I'm a spider and now I'm a chainsaw clown.
Speaker 1: But I only ever got to be.
Speaker 3: The murder nurse because the first night, yeah, the other murderers like fell off of a platform and hit her head and was taken away in an ambulance and she still came back.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was like, dude, you have you have to like I don't know, I was trying to be as like undercover as I could be, but like you should sue these guys. And she was like, no, you know, I got to finish out this season strong. We're a family here.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh no, they're family, You're not family to the Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was I was the only I was the sole murder nurse. I went through I went on the the murder Nurse no longer a part that is played within the hay Ride.
Speaker 1: It was retired there to hire your number. Not going to get better than this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's such a like.
Speaker 1: That that it feels like one of the things where the entire charm is that it is like slapped together by unprofessional people, and for it to be taken over by like private equity, it's.
Speaker 2: A real bummer, Like this is fun. You can do this for half the price and get twice the people in Like when private equity takes over the whole Carney circuit, I feel like that's when we're really fucked.
Speaker 3: There's a blog that I would read in high school and still read now in every post called Diary of a carnyt blogspot dot com. And he shares very similar views to you on that point where he's just like, we used to be a proper country.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're ascribing these views to me.
Speaker 2: Hit many.
Speaker 3: It is a bummer, I mean. And that's not to advocate for the old way of doing things, because it really did seem to you know, like because at the at the hay Ride, it was like a lot of you know, guys in their forties and teen age girls, which would play out the way you would imagine, and it really grows. So it was good that we had, you know, a good supervisor old legalists to to. You know, he would regularly just move the forty year old guys elsewhere, like you'd be like, oh, there's we've got an issue with a werewolf. We're gonna move him to the maze. Like strategic, very strategic, I know, playing to type disgusting.
Speaker 1: What's what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Jamie, Oh, women's hockey. This is something that's been on my mind recently. I know, I was excited to tell you about Miles, So I I have been thinking about I was with my dad over the summer and he's a hockey writer and he was on the Bechdel Cast after asking for years because every couple like a once a year, he'd be like sort of throwing his hat in the ring as a potential guest on the show. And then he's like like he just like you know, jam slap Shot was written by a woman.
Speaker 1: Did you know that? Did you know that?
Speaker 3: And there's a woman in.
Speaker 1: The movie as well. And those brothers they have long hair, so you.
Speaker 3: Could say they're challenging the binary a little bit, those Hampson and so this year, finally I was like, Caitlin, my dad, he won't stop until we cover, until we cover slap shot. It would improve my day to day life if we just let him cover slap shot. And I thought he did. You know, it was great. Slap shot does not hold up particularly well, is in fact written by a woman. But we were talking about on the show how there's like no movies at least about women's hockey, or at least popular movies about women's hockey, And so I was thinking a lot about just the idea of girls slap shot. And then when I got back to California, I was like, well, is there even like what is there?
Speaker 1: And so?
Speaker 3: And it's it's there's not much. But there's two places that I've been checking out, including this pickup team in Seami Valley.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they got a good rink out there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ooh it's the Isoplex.
Speaker 2: I was was, Oh, seem Valley's now in Isoplex.
Speaker 3: Is in ISO?
Speaker 2: Wait? Did that change the original ISO? The original Isoplex used to be in like North Hills, like West Hills area, like off the four or five. Yeah, yeah, and their club because I was all, you know, I was in the socow hockey scene. Their team was called the Wolves, and Isoplex was like one of the nicest newer ranks, but I didn't know that they had rebranded or moved or whatever. They like the rinks. The further you go out of like Maine, La County, they're very they're they're much nicer than what we have. I played at Pickwick in Burbank.
Speaker 3: Oh is that even still there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like they shoot that. They they always like use that place to shoot any like skating scene, like in the office, like when like they were like ice skating there, like they shoot it. There's so many are like filmed in that rink, but it's just a very shallow pool. Now.
Speaker 3: The Isoplex was beautiful, and so I was like trying to go to these women's pickup games because there's a lot of like cod teams, but there weren't a lot of just like specifically women's teams. And I finally made it up this week. I'd been like texting with this woman and it was like we're having a difficult time, and I was like, why am I having difficulty communicating with this woman, and it was when I got there. It's because she's like my mom's age. She like the team was. It was like people in their like mid to late twenties through their mid to late sixties, like all playing together, play together every week, play well, no no, which is which I think is important for the older players to They can't.
Speaker 5: Play exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: And so I just have been I don't know, and just talking to them about like everyone had driven minimum an hour to be there because there are so few options, and I just, man, I had the best time talking to these ladies. And they had a you know, they have like a bar at the rink too, so you could just go and hang out afterwards. Crack a la bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah there's some molten. They really have labat blue.
Speaker 3: They had a la bat Wow. Yeah yeah la bat on tap, yeah, on tap. It was really cool. So yeah, I'm I'm you know, it took me, you know, thirty years, but I finally understand the appeal of this little game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, now there's a professional league that's starting up too, the Professional Women's Hockey League, And I know, I don't think LA has a team, but they do on the East Coast and in Canada.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, did your dad put a lot of pressure on you to play like growing up?
Speaker 3: Uh No, there was one significant push, but then he saw me skate and he was like it's a non starter. But when I was at the pickup game there. When I was the pickup game, they're like hurting for players because it's so of far out that they're like, can you skate? I was like, no, no, I'm not gonna. I can't play with you, but but maybe on a long enough timeline, I'll try it, because yeah, it's like it's a no check. There is no checking in these games. And so that's when I could maybe I could stand in place for yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just just park it on the blue one.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hockey was a big sport at my high school. Like I went there, you know, moved to Massachusetts halfway through high school from Kentucky, you know, a place where basketball is the only sport that matters, to this place where I like I truly had not encountered hockey being a serious sport anywhere outside of a Disney movie.
Speaker 2: And like when and everyone was like, god, the hockey players are.
Speaker 1: So cool, so hot and one of my friends, one of my friends like used a loophole to get onto the freshman hockey team even though he was a junior and didn't know how to skate. And so when you said just like stand there, like he just like kind of glided out onto the ice and then like took a like swipe at someone and fell over and they were like, all right, man gets.
Speaker 2: That was truly a heavy Gilmoreo put the slap shot on that guy breaking a glass.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Michael, Wow, yeah, what a time. Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and cover some news. And we're back and we're just gonna get right down to right down to it. Five night Freddy's video game movie that did not was not aware that I had a sense based on the poster. It was something it was a movie based on something based on video game and it's like spooky Chucky, did you guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is I'm bummed that the movie sucks because it was Chuck could really use the good pr right now, ye there, Did either of you play it? I never played it, but I remember that was the first video game I ever saw, like play through YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, okay, I've I never played it, but when we were both working at Playboy Jamie, when I was doing video there, there was like a video series with two playmates that are gamers, and I remember I had to like produce a shoot with that, and I was like, what the fuck? And I was like, oh, this game is fucking freaky. But I'm not into horror as a like a genre, but I have seen it played and like, at the time, this was like the biggest shit, Like I think it came out in twenty fourteen, but yeah, it's like a you know, huge, huge, like indie game.
Speaker 1: Mm, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: I didn't even realize it was an indie game because of how like, yeah, that was the first time I had ever like encountered that as a thing that happened and thought it was isolated. And then you know, obviously have never stopped seeing it. But it's I mean, Haunted Animatronics a great idea, and the guy who invented the Chuck E Cheese animatrons very racist, like don't don't fuck with this guy. However, however, there he uh, at least up as as recently as a couple of years ago, still had this warehouse in Florida, where the animatronics were once made, and was really trying to capitalize on the success of five Night Freddy, and because he basically lived in uh, you know, like haunted Animatronics Palace, so he started like selling the like five Night Freddie birthday party experience with his like scary old animatronics, and it seemed to be somewhat successful at some point.
Speaker 2: I mean, like the real the diehard fans are like they fuck. I mean, it's there's a reason why it became a Blumhouse film. It's because definitely there is an audience. There's an absolute obvious for it.
Speaker 1: Producer Victor is noting that there are multiple three hour lore documentaries about five Night, five Night.
Speaker 3: Five Night Freddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Freddy, what could that possibly mean?
Speaker 3: That's that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, that's like a big thing that like as the reviews come in, like there's a whole debate where some people are like it's not really for casuals man, like if you don't funk like, or some people are like.
Speaker 1: There's not enough for vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is wild, Like I'm and I'm like, it's interesting following the reaction because, like anything when you have a huge like when a fandom gets to that point where now like a Plumhouse or major studios like, yeah, let's see if we can make money off of this. It's always interesting to see how like inevitably the fans will be disappointed. I think it's just generally what's always gonna happen, Like it's there's only a few instances where you have something with like a huge mega following take that next jump to like major film distribution, and it be you know, palatable.
Speaker 3: I was kind of I was positive because I didn't see I kind of forgot it was coming out until I they showed the trailer at saw X and I was like, damn, they got Hutcherson. And my friend was like, I don't think that's hard to.
Speaker 1: Do, but.
Speaker 2: What did you just say? Yeah, damn, Josh's what like twenty twelve, Yeah you need something.
Speaker 3: I did see Josh Hutcherson getting into a very quiet argument with his girlfriend in front of a restaurant near my house once, so it is like not that hard to get Hutcherson. But but I was like, I don't know, maybe I just like went twenty twelve brain for a second, where like, oh my damn they got Hutcherson. Five night Freddy is huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bigger than Hunger Games.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's something about the minds of people who are like scared of animatronics I guess, or like into I don't know, because the writer of the original indie game also like a right wing person.
Speaker 3: God, what is it with animatronics and being a piece of shit?
Speaker 2: I think because they're like techno slaves or some shit. Probably you know, oh yeah, it's like I make them do what I say, and I can make you in my like I don't know. That's probably some weird god complex. Yeah, yeah, on some level. But hey, I would love to see where the where the woke animaznic.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, there's certainly woke animatronic fans, but I right, right, but we're not technically minded unfortunately, right right.
Speaker 2: Right right, you're just there for the commentary.
Speaker 1: We are topping out for five nights at Freddy's. We are topping out on metacritics. So the overall metacritics score is twenty nine, an average of twenty nine, and we're topping out. Usually usually you will get like one or two that's like, hey, I actually enjoyed this because I was like, my meds are dialed in or something, you know, like so like I sometimes I just enjoy the hell out of them. Like one of my favorite film going Expirits, was Die Hard for for no reason other than I was just in a good, good movie. Right place in your life, Yeah, good place in my life. Loved that movie the first time I saw it, and then I watched it again, I was like, oh, this is bad, right right right, But like this is at we're topping out at two out of five stars. Most of them are lower than that average, and this like not all reviews are in, but it's it seems pretty dismal, and everyone's saying it's boring. Yeah, it's not boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean even like the fans, Like there's a guy who would like stream it on YouTube, like this guy, Jack Septic. Guy, like his review is like it is not great, sort of like the nice person and a lot of people were like, you made a lot of five nights at freddie content. But again I think that's where like you see a lot of you know, other other fans come in and be like it's just people aren't gonna understand it. It's not for normies. But then this guy who like plays the game a ton is like just felt rushed in some spots. Other parts it just was very normal, like did not feel like is you know, original as like the game the original idea is itself.
Speaker 1: So you see the trailer, You're like, oh, they got Hutcherson, but they but they Like now I'm kind of embarrassed because Hutcherson knows like what I'm into, and like they did such a bad job with the lore that now like I'm like, they shouldn't have done this to Hutcherson.
Speaker 3: Or us or Matthew Lillard, you know Matthew they got they got Lillard, That got Lillard, I.
Speaker 2: Mean Mary Stuart Masterson, you.
Speaker 3: Know, kind of a star studded cast. I was really impressed with the cast. I love that they got Lillard. I feel like Lillard played the game. That's my guess is that Lillard was into it. Hudgerson, we don't. I don't know of his hobbies. I don't know.
Speaker 2: His agents were like, hey man, you're gonna have to say yes to this. We got bad news.
Speaker 3: You have to be the lead of five Knight.
Speaker 1: Freddy, You're five knighte Freddy because you're five Freddy.
Speaker 2: Your knife, your knighte Freddie. Because nobody was fucking with Journey to the Center of the Earth too.
Speaker 3: Oh god, he was in that. Uh it's a bummer that we would eat at the same realm in place. It's like when I saw Taylor Lautner at a bar, I go too, and you're.
Speaker 1: Just like, this is this sucks recently.
Speaker 3: It's like five years ago, so I think that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but I mean like post like super high Twilight Peak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And it was like a place where you get like, you know, three dollars backwash. I'm like, why the hell is Taylor Latner here drinking three dollar backwash with the pleabs?
Speaker 2: Was he doing the thing where he had his back to the bar looking out at the bar?
Speaker 3: He was holding court. He was holding court. It was really cool, Like he bought rounds, he was holding court. He had no issue with you knowing he was drinking backwash at the bar, which is cool. That's a cool quality. He was with I think his girlfriend now his wife also named Taylor. That's not very cool. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Wait he married a Taylor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now they're the Tailor's Lotner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible. Should we talk about the Britney Spears memoir the audio book?
Speaker 2: Have you got Williams? Yeah? I I've just slowly seen some like excerpts get sort of elevated to the top. But obviously I think the big one with the release of the audiobook was everyone sharing the clip of Michelle Michelle Williams doing an impression of Justin Timberlake doing a black scent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's what It's a lot.
Speaker 2: Have you not heard it? No, Jamie, For someone who is so online, I'm like, James, this is old hat for Jamie, I'm sure. Okay, So I was.
Speaker 3: I was trying to. I was like, let's see how long I because I was like I want to read it. And I also was waiting for an episode of Chelsea Devonte's podcast about it. It was like, and then I'll engage.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just one excerpt, you know, like this is one loose line that's like blowing up where she's first of all, like Britney Spears is talking about why she was fucking with in Sync over Backstreet Boys. She's like in sync, like they listened to hip hop, like they seem more oriented towards that kind of culture where the Backstreet Boys felt very white. I'm just gonna we'll just play this clip really quick because there's all.
Speaker 3: White guys from Florida and yeah, like the same guy.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget Chris with his techno dreads either, but hey, let's focus on this Skylark. So but yeah, this is a this is one of the excerpts here, just talking about this time where he met another famous R and B musician.
Speaker 1: So the other thing, like a lot of people are pointing out like this seems Michelle Williams is a five time Academy Award nominee. People are like, why is she doing this? And then they're listening and they're like, oh, she's the best that has ever done this before. She's killing it. She's doing a great job. So yeah, this is a little sample of that, and it's an anecdote that a lot of it's caught a lot of people's attention.
Speaker 6: His band in Sync was what people back then called so Pimp. They were white boys, but they loved hip hop. To me, that's what separated them from the Backstreet Boys, who seemed very consciously to position themselves as a white group. In Sync hung out with black artists sometimes I thought they tried too hard to fit in. One day, Jay and I were in New York going to parts of town i'd never been to before. Walking our way was a guy with a huge, blinged out medallion. He was flanked by two giant security guards. Jay got all excited and said so loud, oh yeahches, Genuine, what's up, homie? After Genuine walked away, Felicia did an impression of Jay. Oh yeah, boches bosches Genuine.
Speaker 3: Jay wasn't even embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Wow, I like the there's like a YadA YadA pass that. I'm sure they had an interaction, but it kind of suggests that Genuine just he did that and Genuine just walked away.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was like, oh my god, the fuck is that?
Speaker 3: The abrupt switch after the like the audiobook pause before Genuine walked away, Like you're.
Speaker 1: Just oh my god, after walked away.
Speaker 3: She's a professional's good professional. That alarming. I'm looking forward to, uh to reading that book or probably more likely listening to it. Celebrity memoirs are meant to be listened.
Speaker 2: To, especially oh yeah, because I'm pretty sure what Britney spears personally was like I want Michelle Williams to narrate this like, this is why this is happening.
Speaker 3: Very weird, very weird. How do they know each other?
Speaker 2: Dialed in so well?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: What better person to lend your voice to have their like, have them lend their voice and have Michelle Williams do the Britney Spears book so good, James get the egot.
Speaker 3: She will this is her grammy, Yeah, yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 1: There's I mean, there's all sorts of there's also the story that Britney Spears almost got what was the famous role that she almost oh the Notebook, the Notebook, Yeah, she almost was cast in the Notebook.
Speaker 2: She was like in the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was between No, she was in the final two, between her and Rachel McAdams, and like they like Scarlett Johansson all these other people had tried out and they were like, Britney Spears is like fucking nailing this really absolutely like an amazing actor.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, there's like her audition tape is avail.
Speaker 2: I think they camera tested with with Ryan too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I always want.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know that there were a number of extenuating circumstances in Brittany's life that.
Speaker 2: U but I was her.
Speaker 3: Her movie career was like a non starter, and up until recently you couldn't even get Crossroads, Like you couldn't even stream it until recently. Even though that was like an early Shonda Rhime's script.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't realize that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like one. I think it was like Shondai. One of Shonda Rhime's like first produced scripts ever was the Britney Spears vehicle Crossroads. And she's so good in it, and she's so charming and like she's a good actor, and it's like there it worked out for Mandy Moore many more kind of dropped music and started this is us singer. I still don't know what that show is about, but damn, she would have been cool in the notebook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's what Shonda Rhime's. Also, didn't she do Princess Diaries too? That was like another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, shout after Crossroads?
Speaker 3: Yeah right yeah, pre Crossroads. And if I'm recalling, I know I know too much of Shonda's filmography. I think it's just shy of It's like the year before Grey's Anatomy. She did Princess Diaries too. Royal Engagement, Yep, sure enough. It is true. It is true, but I'm like, what is Shonda's relationship with Britney? Is there one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know, We don't know, right what could have been you know, true if she was Meredith Gray, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, but then it's like we would have been I mean, and again this is like not even taking into account what happens later in Britney's career, but like we would have we would have not gotten some really solid Britney albums if she if she had gotten too far into acting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when she talks about it, she's like, you know, at a certain point, I decided to stop auditioning and just record, just drop classic albums on you all, Like, yeah, if we.
Speaker 3: Got because if we got like if we got Brittany in the Notebook, we may not have gotten Blackout, And that would have been challenging for me.
Speaker 1: As a youth.
Speaker 3: That would American culture, that would have been pretty hard.
Speaker 1: America's bad right now, Think America's bad right now? Try and picture this counterpack. But yeah, and also she he has a quote like in one of the articles I read about the Notebook thing that she was like it was just mentally too difficult, like I just embodied the character and like trying out for that character like got to me so like she was almost like too meth for to to like actually pursue acting because it was just like too painful for her, which sounds like a great actor, Like, yeah, let's make it happen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's funny too, like because Justin Timberlake does not come out looking good in this too. Like she talks about how like she became pregnant like with his child and then you know, have an abortion and things like that, and then like now it's funny to see the pr machine move in Justin's direction and they're like, Justin Timberlake is fine. He's actually just focusing on being with his family like amid the noise.
Speaker 3: But it's also like pretty well documented that his family does not like him. So cool, I hope. I'm sure they're really enjoying spending time with you on this your fiftieth cancelation. I was trying to I was trying to think of, you know, like because of SAG rules, I'm like I have to think of like a Halloween costume I can wear, and I have a lot of I can pretty close to replicate the justin Timberlake denim outfit. And so I'm trying to put something together like recently Disgrace Denim boyfriend. But but it's getting the hat together because then I, you know, and then I was just gonna put you know, tears, streaks, some snotch like that recently disgraced Denhim boyfriend.
Speaker 2: That's a freak one for everything. You got to get those gradiated like those gradient shades.
Speaker 3: Too, Oh my god. Yeah, like the yellow, the freaky late nineties blue blockers everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yo, it's so wild like that that outfit. There's like how there's like tutorials on how to make the Disgrace Denim boyfriend outfit. Like it's like how to make your denim Britney and Justine. Good lord, what a time?
Speaker 1: What a time?
Speaker 3: I mean, great, great, horrible man great outfits. Brittany, God bless her, She's a bet.
Speaker 2: Keep on dancing those knives, girl.
Speaker 1: Or don Jamie. Such a pleasure having you as always? Yeah, where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: The same old places. Instagram at Jamie christ Superstar, Twitter at Jamie Lofts, help listened to Bechdel Cast, read raw Dog and and and stay safe out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there a work a media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: I wanted to shout out Marsha Belsky really quick. She tweeted about it yesterday, but she was arrested at the Capitol this week. She was protesting with if Not Now calling for a fire and kind of shared her whole kind of experience of what that was like. And you know, some criticism of Bernie Sanders in particular, and I just it's very informative thread and she's the fucking coolest. So that is a work of media that I found inspiring and cool this week.
Speaker 1: There you go, Miles, Where can people find you? What's the working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Find me on Twitter, Instagram, everywhere else. Let's see yeah yeah at Miles of Gray. Also follow us on our basketball podcast, Miles and Jack Got Mad boost like ninety Day Fiance and Trash TV. We'll check on my other podcast for twenty Day Fiance Sophia Alexandra. And if you like you know true crime, check out The Good Thief, the new true crime show I'm doing. But it's all all eight episodes are out. Let's see a tweet that I like I don't know if I have any tweets because I haven't been on there recently, but I just started watching The Bear. Oh so I just I was like, Yo, what the fuck is going on here? Yeah, it sounds like people are right. That shows it's it's worth watching. But yeah, so far I'm enjoying what I'm seeing. Yes, chef am I right behind is Joel McHale that much of a dick. I've only like seen this like one flashback scene where he's like maniacally being like you fucking suck.
Speaker 7: Suck, suck your slow fast man really like embodies the like your mind at the at its least healthy, or at least my mind it's least least healthy.
Speaker 1: It's just like I feel like he's a great stand in for that.
Speaker 2: Right, what the fuck do you think you did?
Speaker 1: It's like so mean, it's like kind of comical. It's it's pretty incredible, right The Bear.
Speaker 2: The Bear.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore.
Speaker 2: O'Brien, I haven't really.
Speaker 1: Been looking at Twitter for the past three hours. Thank you, my bloody Valentine. That I think that's the name of the slasher film that I recently watched that is fun hot Garbage from like nineteen eighty one eighty two, and it is shot in a town in Canada. You like, it's this like really run down town. They shot it on location. I think probably because like they lived there and but you really get a sense of like the town from the movie about a slasher who comes out around Valentine's Day and starts cutting people's hearts out the best. Yes, you can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page on our website daily zeikeist dot com where he posts our episodes and our footnotes. See it basically talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy it. Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: I guess what. We're gonna have the link to that Henry Winkler music video because I found it. Uh hell yeah, the opening is wild anyway, a.
Speaker 1: Song that is also about monsters or is it about Portoh?
Speaker 2: Is it Monty Coded It's it's called Puddles and wishing Wells. Oh no. And you know, I'll let y'all check the footnotes. You can watch the full ninth video that came out in two thousand and nine. It was actually two thousand and nine, it turns out. But anyway, the music that I think we should go out on is this.
Speaker 3: Manti Revolta's rendition of I Will Always Love Cool.
Speaker 1: His wordplay is truly level band of the Living Dead.
Speaker 2: They're going out on an LA band called the Altons A L t o n s. And they're like, you know a band that's around now. They're from LA, but they their shit sounds like you've discovered like new forty five records, like if like Motown was like in LA. Like it feels like West Coast like sixties seventies soul. It's really dope and they're really talented and like they got the esthetic really down. And this track is called over and over by the Altons A L t O n s.
Speaker 1: Oh right, well, we will link off to that in the footnotes for Daily is the production of ByHeart Radio. For more podcasts from my Art Radio, visit the iHeartRadio Wrap Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: That is going to do it for us this morning back on Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll tell you what is trending, what was trending over the weekend, and then on Tuesday for a special expert guest episode, so we will talk to y'all then, have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Stay safe Byeye