Speaker 1: You like to Just Baseball show and want to make your own, let me tell you about Anchor. It's free. There's a creation tool that allows you to record and edit your podcast right from your phone or computer. Now you can even add any song from Spotify directly to your episodes. The possibilities are endless for what you can create, whether it's music analysis, your own radio show, or something the world's never seen before. Anchor will distribute your podcast for you so it can be heard on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and much more. You can make money from your podcast with no minimum listenership. It's everything you need to make a podcast in one place. So download the free Anchor app or go to anchor dot fm to get started.
Speaker 2: We will see you to.
Speaker 3: The corner. Welcome, hang out.
Speaker 4: My brain is like full blown mashed potatoes right now. Yeah, I'm done. I want to go to bed and I want to sleep for eighteen hours. Let's roll through the list of names that have been dealt in the last like three four days.
Speaker 2: You ready?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, So I'm Jack Peter. We've got Dustin Demonter too. This is the Just Baseball Show and uh I guess this is coming out on Saturday.
Speaker 2: The thirty first.
Speaker 4: We're recording at four forty seven Eastern Time. On Friday. Deadline was forty eight minutes ago. Now it's four forty eight. But here are all the names over the last three four days that just got dealt Joey Gallos, Darling Marte, Chris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Kyle Schwar, Max suz Er, Trey Turner, Nelson Cruz, Javier Bias, Jose Barrios, Danny Duffie, Eduardo Escobar, Kendall Graveman, Adam Fraser, Craig Kimberl, Jorge Solaire and Moore. Is this the best deadline ever?
Speaker 1: This is one of the best deadlines I've seen in a very long time. And Richard Rodriguez just went to the Braves too. Don't even know if you talked about him like that. Was one of the best relievers of the deadline and now he's a brave. The Braves did weirdly well, God, the Braids did really went well. They got Adam Duval, they got Eddie Rosario, they got Richard Rodriguez. What's that?
Speaker 2: They got Jack Peterson a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Peterson a couple of weeks ago. You know, for a team that we didn't think was gonna do much, I think they did a very good job for what was kind of laid out in front of them. I think the Braves actually kind of killed it.
Speaker 4: You took a very soft stance. You said, this is one of the best deadlines ever, Dustin, Is this the best deadline ever?
Speaker 3: This is the best deadline ever.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Like, think about all the big names that got dealt. I mean, it's absolutely incredible. I don't know have had have we had confirmation about this, the Shureser Trey Turner deal.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely it's really official. You freaking Dodger fan.
Speaker 3: That's kind of neat, Like the Dodgers are really good.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm looking right now for this tweet that Sarah Lang's put out and I gotta find it because I don't I don't want it to go unnoticed because it blew my mind. Ten players who were All Stars this year have been traded Gallo Nelson, Cruz, Kyle Gibson, Adam Frazier, at Wada, Westcobar, Kyle Schwarber, Max Scherzer, Craig kimberl Trey Turner, and Chris Bryant. That's the most players to make an All Star Game and change teams in a season in the history of baseball. God, wow, wow. I needed to buy that tweet because I was like, that tweet kind of put it all into perspective. What just happened these last twenty four hours. I mean, the Yankees just got fucking Joey Gallo and Anthony Rizzo and then they just added Andrew Keeney. Don't really know why, but it. Stuff is actually pretty good. But it's like Andrew Keeney gonna be that guy. I don't even know if he saws of the fifth starter right now.
Speaker 4: The last like the last six hours, I think my resting heart rate has been like one.
Speaker 2: It's been crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we got some fans here who did a lot of big things. We got a Dodger fan right there. You're a White Sox fan. Yeah, I'm a Yankee fan. We had my big Yankee riff yesterday. Dustin's Dustin. How are you feeling as a fan of the Los Angeles Juggernauts.
Speaker 3: I was literally on cloud nine yesterday, Like I was just pacing my house just thinking about the lineup that we're gonna throw out there and the rotation because you you had Max Cherzer, who's arguably our ace. You know, you got Wauler Cherser, that's our one two you got, and then you got Trey Turner just just so dynamic, so fast, such a good hitter. I mean, I don't remember a team like this like the Dodgers have right now that they've assembled. The bullpen's a little iffy, but aside from that, the rotation, the defense and the offense, like I could think of some some team that can compare. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Anybody Danny Duffy and it didn't even matter.
Speaker 3: It didn't even matter to depth piece. It's like, hopefully Danny Duffy is like a guy who can come out of the pen throw ninety five from He will be he will be that better than David Price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, better than eight at the beginning of the year, a developing ace at thirty two.
Speaker 3: Did you guys see that tweet? It was like the Dodgers have six m vps and seven syngs on their team. What Yeah, Yeah, Albert Pools is a Dodger.
Speaker 1: Albert the worst player in your lineup is a former MVP and Cody Bellinger who won it two years ago.
Speaker 3: Well, think oft who just lost their spot. It's it's a J. Pollock who whenever he's in the lineup, he's like producing pretty well. Like he's like a one w r C plus guy, Like he's he could help a contender. That's wild about it.
Speaker 5: A J.
Speaker 3: Paullack could help a contender if he's healthy. So it's just like, it's just it's it's incredible. It's the it's the All Star team. It really is. Los Angeles is the All Star Team. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: There there is not a single type of draft that you could do Fantasy baseball, even hop on a video game and produce that lineup, even get the three headed monster at the top of the rotation when Kershaw comes back. There is not a world where you can imagine Kershaw, Bueller and Sureser with Oh, by the way, Julio Reis is the four Peter.
Speaker 3: Because Yankees had a chance.
Speaker 2: This is horrible for baseball. That's my thought.
Speaker 1: We got on that a little bit because we were debating about that earlier. You hate it, you hate.
Speaker 2: It, I hate it. I hate it.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers are, if I read correctly, forty million dollars above anybody else in payroll, right, I think it's more.
Speaker 2: I think it's more.
Speaker 4: Now, Yes, I understand the argument where, Okay, if you have an owner that's savvy, they're going to spend the money. I understand that if you have somebody that's passionate about winning, they're going to spend the money it takes to win.
Speaker 2: I am, and I.
Speaker 4: Have long been a proponent of the salary cap in baseball because I just want to see twenty eight other teams can tend. But when the Yankees and the Dodgers are the two Sorry Yankee and Dodger fans, but when the Yankees and the Dodgers are the two teams that are dominating this deadline, all these other moves don't mean jack shit. When the Dodgers just got Sureser and Trey Turner in the same damn deal, and within twenty four hours, the Yankees just got Joey Gallo and Anthony Rizzo to pump baseballs over the short porch, it doesn't matter. Nothing that anybody does matters.
Speaker 3: Wait, jeah, yeah, you're a White Sox fan, right, Yeah? They're bullpen is.
Speaker 6: Incredible, insane, Like the White Sox are still better than the Yankees, right, now, God, the White Sox are still better than the Yankees.
Speaker 1: You just got Craig Kimber, Ryan Tapera, and you have Liam Hendrick. Still, pair that with Garret Crochet and Michael Kopek throwing a hundred milline hour bullets.
Speaker 4: And Aaron Bummer with it, and Aaron Bummer, who's basically just Zack Britton.
Speaker 1: You know, Zach Britton. The thing also about Zach Britton, low key throws ninety one miles an hour. Remember when he threw ninety seven. That's just not happening anymore. This is not the same Zach Britton. The Yankees failed to do one thing. They really failed to add any pitching at the deadline. Yes, the Yankees added Anthony Rizzo and they added Joey Gallop, but they didn't have pitching. He ne that what?
Speaker 6: What like that deal?
Speaker 1: Yeah it'll be fine, but he's not a game changer and he will be all right? Is that a game changer? We didn't like. Also, the worst trade of the deadline, the one I think that mattered the least, Ja Happed to the Cardinals for John Gant. Why even make the trade.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, John Lester to the Cardinals.
Speaker 6: For Yeah, why make the trade? Like, what are the Cardinals? Cardinals just want to get older.
Speaker 2: Probably they want mature Peter.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you why Andrew Heaney the Yankees was a solid deal for the Yankees. Tell me, first of all, they gave up absolutely nothing from what I know nothing. Andrew Heeney is a serviceable back end of the rotation arm. Let's say he gets hot and wins you five extra games over the over the course of the next you know, fifty games or so that are left. That's the difference between you making the wild Card and not. So who's your.
Speaker 1: Do you think they made that deal because they don't think Corey Klueber and Luis Everina are going to come back?
Speaker 3: Really, I think they made that deal because you can never have enough starting pitching depth one never.
Speaker 2: I mean the Dodgers have ten.
Speaker 3: Another level, it's it's a different deal with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: What do we think about the Padres not doing a whole lot. I mean, they did add Adam Fraser, but they didn't get rid of Osmers. And now they have a hole in the infield where they have seven infielders and only four spots to put them in. You can only play nine Frasier is.
Speaker 2: Gonna play the corners.
Speaker 1: I agree, that's being crazy, but left right, that's it. Yeah, well, now they have fire Myers, I combine I combined Fam and Myers in the fires Tommy Fam, Will Myers and Trent Grisham.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four man outfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't do that. So if he's playing the corners, who's getting the Who's getting.
Speaker 2: The boot Will Myers?
Speaker 1: So you just upgraded from Will Myers to Adam Fraser in the outfield, which is a which is an upgrade, but not a huge one.
Speaker 3: Think about how think about how dynamic the Padres offense is, how many different ways they can beat you.
Speaker 1: Would you take them over the Giants?
Speaker 3: The Padres over the Giants? Yeah, yes, one hundred.
Speaker 1: Bryant.
Speaker 3: The Giants got Chris Bryant. I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Now brought a trade deadline podcast. Chris Bridan is one of the Giants.
Speaker 4: Here's what we're gonna do right now, We're going to roll through a couple minutes on each deal. I'm gonna do it wards in chronological order, and we're gonna start with that Bryant deal.
Speaker 2: So right under the tag of the deadline.
Speaker 4: I think this was three point fifty five Eastern four four o'clock hard out Chris Bryant from Chicago to San Francisco for Alexander Canario and Caleb Killian both I think top fifteen guys in the Giant system. Canario the number nine player in the Giants system. It feels like, especially with what the White Sox had to give up for Craig Kimbrel, it feels like the Giants kind of got away with highway robbery there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Canario is he's got some upside. He's got a lot of bat speed. He's really similar though to a lot of a lot of the other Giants prospects. They they're all high ceiling guys, a lot of outfielders. The Giants dealt from a place of depth in their minor league system.
Speaker 1: I mean even better for the Giants, they literally dealt from strength and they didn't give a whole lot.
Speaker 3: It was an incredibly good move from the Giants perspective in my opinion, for sure. I mean Canario, he's definitely not as good as Ramos Mata Matis and there's one more, but they they've got a good system of guys with high ceiling outfielders. So they dealt from a place of strength and and that was a easy, easy deal for them. Do that ten out of ten times.
Speaker 1: If you're the Cubs, you happy about that at all?
Speaker 2: I guess it's.
Speaker 3: Like Canario's got, but it's it wasn't It wasn't a big deal at all for the Cubs.
Speaker 1: I thought i'd get Art.
Speaker 2: I thought they would too.
Speaker 4: I thought it would be Bryant for Bart straight up, if we're being totally honest.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, and that kind of that's kind of how the Mets deal won with Hobby.
Speaker 4: By this, Yeah, let's talk about that. When Hobby Baiaz and Trevor Williams from Chicago to the Mets for Pete Crow Armstrong.
Speaker 1: Before we even talked about the trade, swaggiest infield duo of all time. They're boys, they're boys and the swaggy and they know what they're doing. But both of them can't hit right out. And Hobby low key is one of the league leaders at errors and nobody talked about. Everyone's talking about he's this amazing defender, and I get errors are not a perfect way to evaluate a defensive player. But if you're faster and you have better range. You can get to more balls, maybe get your glove on that ball that might go past someone be a hit, but for you, it bounces off your glove and in the center. I get it. But he's still the one of the league leaders in errors like that still matters, and you're gonna put him in second base position he's never played before, and you gave up a really good outfield prospect. I mean, Dustin, you know all about Pete cro Armstrong. Came out of Harvard Westlake High School. Guy like he was legit, and they just kind of gave him up for you know. I like Hobby Bias, but I don't know, I feel like it's an overpay.
Speaker 3: Well, Hobby Bias has played a lot of second base. Actually, Peter, I'm sure you remember. You probably just missed book, but he remember when Addison Russell was a cup shortstop. Yeah, right, second basement. I know that they like each other a lot, like they're boys. Lindor and Bays are boys. There's gonna be some chemistry up the middle. There's a lot of upside in both of their bats. I think Lindor. I think Lindor is like having some like some second thoughts about signing with the Mets from like, remember, did you guys see the interview of him, like saying like, oh, I just wanted to hear if they were booing me after he hit a home run. He's not in a mental state right now, so I think if you get him in that good mental state, you get lind Door back, like Francisco Lindor the guy you paid for the best shortstop in baseball, maybe minus Bernanda Tazis, And you get him back. You add Hobby byas who works for him. Incredible defender, incredible, capable of leaving the yard at any time. I think it was Pekrow Armstrong. He's he's just super young, so you'd never know what those guys. But I mean he's obviously a great prospect. But I mean I like it, like it for the Mets.
Speaker 1: You like it for the Mets. So who would you say would win that deal? Both of you?
Speaker 3: I think it's a no brainer for both sides. And that's my like. I think it's no brander for both sides. I think I don't. I'm not as down on hobby bias as most people are. I know he's having the swing and miss issues, But I mean, I think you get these guys in a more comfortable situation and I think they're going to produce better.
Speaker 2: So here here are my thoughts on that. Real quick.
Speaker 4: Haave Baya's had flirted with the idea of teaming up with Frankie Lindor in free agency this year, So I think what just happened was the Mets are getting a four month trial off Hovey Bayaz and seeing if it can work out.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: They don't need to sign Hoavey Bayaz for uber expensive like we thought he might be.
Speaker 2: He has proved that he is going to be a cheap free.
Speaker 4: Agent guy this year, and I think that is going to turn out to be the case. I think they have a chance to pitch playing in the same middle infield as Francisco Lindor, and this can turn into a lot more than a rental.
Speaker 2: For the cub side. The idea of Brendon Davis and center Carow Armstrong in left or right, and then the tandem of Nico Horner and Nick Madrigal in the middle infield. That's hot for the next five years. That's hot.
Speaker 1: That is good. That's pretty good, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You want to talk about that Kimberl deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about your White Sox like they did a bunch of moves. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean shit, dude, Kimberl from the Cubs to the White Sox for Nick Madrigal and Cody Hoyer. Let's talk about the return. That's a massive hall. I think that is the biggest hall for the Cubs. That great there, It's amazing Nick Madrigal. So Chris Ronji six to seventy the score he's currently in for Danny Parkins right now. And I was just listening to their immediate reaction. A because my uncle was talking about it and ifect his baseball mind, but B because I want to know what the local sports talk scene is saying about these deals right away. And Chris Ronji, who hosted White Sox pre game forever, brought up a great point. There is so much value in knowing what you're gonna get. And while Pete Pearl Armstrong poses the possibility of being a three hundred hitter with twenty five bombs, you know that Nick Madgal is a three hundred hitter. You know you know that he's probably not an all star starter. Second Baseman, but you know you're getting two ninety to three ten with him every single year, and Cody Hoyer legitimately has closer potential. The guy is so good. I love watching Cody Hoyer throw.
Speaker 3: I agree, I thought I thought it was an overpay easily from the White Sox. But at the same time, you you just created a super bowlpen like back when the Yankees were like twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, when they were throwing, when they were ending games in the sixth inning. That's what the White Sox have right now. And once Eloy is back, once Luis Robert comes back, it's a dynamic offense. Losing magical OC hurts a lot, and that's why I think it was an overpay. Cody.
Speaker 1: He now fill in. They fill in with Caesar Hernandez, which is fine. Fine.
Speaker 3: He's a good player. He's a good player. He's a good player. He's a good fit for that lineup too. I agree, bats plays good defense, he's he's just a solid player with all those dynamic top talents around him, like he's going to really thrive.
Speaker 1: I mean, just came out of the deadline with Ryan Tepera and Craig Kimball. Listen, that's crazy. That's really good out of nowhere. Kind of a.
Speaker 4: Couple of quick thoughts on the White Sox here, Seesar Hernandez helps because a lot like the Yankees White Sox. We know, best team in baseball against left handed pitching, best team, but against right handed pitching, you just don't really have lefty bats, says Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Is a switch hitter. Nick magical is a right handed bat that helps.
Speaker 4: You know you compared it to the Yankees, Dustin, I'm going to compare it to another Ale Central team. When the Royals won the World Series, game was over in the sixth inning because you threw Herrera in the set, in the seventh, you threw Waye. Davis the eighth, and then Greg Holland in the ninth, and you could fill in with any other guy. So now I see Bummer in the seventh, Hendrix in the eighth, Kimberl in the ninth, vice versa. With those eighth and ninth guys, and you fill in with Copek, and you fill in with Crochet, you fill in with whoever they'll to Pi.
Speaker 1: I think to Paris should be the seventh inning guy. I mean this year he's been phenomenal. Maybe he's better than Bumber right now.
Speaker 3: Credible bullpen's probably the baseball Yeah, it's the best bullpen in baseball. They have that dynamic offense. I mean, you could see c Lucas g Aledo to be Lucas Giolito and then if that happens, they're coming out of the al.
Speaker 4: JP Morosi MLB network. He said that, and he posts this idea. I really enjoyed hearing this idea. Liam Hendricks has been a long man at points. You know, he goes two innings, he gets six out saves, he gets seven out saves. Why not use him like Cleveland used Andrew Miller, where you throw him out there for a high leverage sixth, let him go the seventh bridge, the gap to to parent in the eighth, and then kimberl in the nine.
Speaker 2: Shit, the world is our oyster right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why, that's why Jack screw you. You're talking about at the beginning.
Speaker 5: Like oh, the Yankees now and then the big markets. While the white Stocks are literally better than them, still, they also added a bunch and the Astros added a bunch to their bullpen too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, let's they're doing that.
Speaker 6: The Yankees are probably still the third best team, but in the Allies, and we're talking about them dominating in big markets. No, the Dodgers just keep dominating. That's what we're dealing with here. The Yankees did well, but they didn't They didn't put them over the top. They needed to add a Barrios or a Sureser or a legit number one, number two pitcher, or they aren't going to compete for a World Series. They may scrape it and get a second wild card. But the A's aers so really good. A's added Marte, and the Raids are still really good.
Speaker 4: A's added Marte. They also added Yan Gomes and Josh Harrison.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Here's the deal I want to talk about. That happened earlier today and we got flooded this afternoon. Jose Burrios from Minnesota to Toronto for Austin Martin and Simeon Woods Richardson.
Speaker 1: The twins did amazing, that amazing amazing there. That's what do you think I mean?
Speaker 3: I thought it was so similar to the Dodger deal for Surezer and Turner. So with Barrios you got that extra year of control, so they control him through twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Which is big Austin Martin. They'll be good next year too.
Speaker 3: Yes, Austin Martin is an incredible hitter. I think he's gonna I think he's gonna be a really good hitter. I think he's gonna hit you know, three hundred with like good on base percentages. I don't think he's gonna slug. I don't think he has a position. And I really believe in the bat though.
Speaker 1: But remember we were watching him in the Futures game. Smart hitter has good at bats.
Speaker 3: I mean he just he consistently puts together good at bats and and that's that's really valuable in alive. It's a good complimentary piece, but it's not it's not the piece is going to get you over the top. In my opinion, I think I think the I think the Twins, I think the I think the blue Jays did really well there, like I really I do. Like Barrios is incredible.
Speaker 7: When he's on to get outs, is incredible, Like he has that breaking ball, he commands the fastball, he's got to change up like he's going to push you over the top.
Speaker 3: Like, are the blue Jays better than the Yankees? That's a legitimate question, right.
Speaker 1: Well, think about their run differential right now is plus eighty five. You know what the Yankees is four. So if you're looking at that, yeah, the Blue Jays are better. And then they just had Jose Barrious. But the Yankees out of Joey gallow and Anthony Rizzo, now their lineup is incredible and Greg Allen has remains the best hitter in that line up.
Speaker 4: We talked about Gallo and did you get a chance to talk about Rizzo with Hubbs.
Speaker 1: We did a live reaction to Rizzo. Oh yes, So what other trades? What other trades even happened?
Speaker 2: A lot?
Speaker 4: Dude, Uh, let's talk about this one. This was one of the weirdest trades that I saw. Philly got Kyle Gibson, Ian Kennedy and Hans Krauss from Texas for Spencer Howard, our guy, Kevin Goudi and Joss Gessner.
Speaker 6: Oh no way, Kevin, Vin Gowdi drafter that of our rival high school was just traded.
Speaker 2: Yep, traded it away.
Speaker 1: Shout out Kevin Goudy, Kyle Gibbs off in high school.
Speaker 4: Kyle Gibson and Ian Kennedy to Philly, how does that make any sense?
Speaker 1: So the Phillies needed a starter and they needed a bullpen guy, but they needed like way more to be considered like legit contenders, right, I mean, I'm not I'm not wrong. Like they needed at least two to three more bullpen guys and they needed to improve on defense, and they didn't do that, Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: But did they have the prospect castle to get that done.
Speaker 1: They just have Bryson Stott And that's kind of it.
Speaker 3: Really, It's it's it's a thin farm system and it's a flawed major league roster and they added a good, solid starter and a good reliever. So I mean that's pretty much what they could have done in my opinion. Like, I'm sure they had offers out for other guys, but like teams like the Dodgers and the Yankees and the White Sox, they're gonna blow you away because they have way better prospects. So it's like they did what they could. You got to respect him for going for it. Wheeling and Dylan Dave did it again. But I mean you'd like this, you'd obviously.
Speaker 1: Like or what is by no matter what, you could be the GM for the Pirates, right, now he's like, I think we got a shot. We gotta buy.
Speaker 3: How about the Rockies not dealing with story?
Speaker 1: I guess loser of the deadline. They didn't even deal John Gray or Marquez or Marquez, they didn't do anything or just another lookie right on. Tapia still a Rocky. Could have easily traded him and gone a decent return.
Speaker 2: Isn't Freeland still a Rocky too?
Speaker 1: Of course he is. They are. I think they're the same team. I don't think they did actually anything.
Speaker 2: Is Seronado still a Rocky?
Speaker 6: Troy Tilwitsky Troy Tilllwinski is still a Rocky? Larry Walker still Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what the Rockies are. They are the Angels of the National.
Speaker 1: League, way worse.
Speaker 3: They're they're way worse because they have less talent.
Speaker 1: But like they have less talent.
Speaker 3: Aeronauto and Trevor's story, like all these guys and they just they just won't. They're they're so stubborn, you know it, Tori, he curves just but.
Speaker 1: It's like it's not even the purgatory that maybe a team like the Phillies are in right now. It's it's it's hell, Like it's just hell. You know what it is.
Speaker 3: It's bottom of the barrel. It's what they are. Their bottom a system. It is no, no, they have a bad farm system.
Speaker 1: Like he needed to trade all these guys and they did not.
Speaker 4: Two more deals, two more deals that I want to go over, one for the Red Sox and then we got to finish.
Speaker 2: With the Dodger.
Speaker 4: Massive, massive deal, maybe biggest deal in deadline history. But Kyle is the first baseman for the Boston Red Sox now. But when he comes back.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, that's a good bat to add to that lineup because they have all those guys at the top. So just extending that just a little bit, putting Schwarber like in the six or seven hole, like he can run into balls, like he'll hit He'll hit a bunch of bombs. You know, he's a he's a good bat. He'll get on base. He he extends the lineup for sure. He's he's a good complimentary piece. He's not going to change much for the Red Sox, but he might squeak out like a win or two with a big home run here or there. So I think that was a really good move from the Reds for the Red Sox. I mean, can he play first base? Like, we have no idea.
Speaker 2: No idea. I think he's played one major league game at first base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I mean we really don't know because you obviously got J. D. Martinez locked up in the DH spot right for dugos and left. I mean they got they got guys in the outfield. Shorber is not a good outfield defender. It's tough to play defense in Boston because of the weird dimensions there. So you're banking on Shore being able to play first base at a league average level, even if he's below average at works, because the bad is really.
Speaker 1: That is legit. I think if you if you ask Red Sox fans, would they rather Kyle Schwarbur and his bad defense at first or Bobby Dalbeck. They're saying like Kyle Schwarber as soon as I said Bobby nolt Back, like like immedia.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I think Red Sox fans are happy. They also didn't give up anything for him. It's basically free and I know he's hurt right now, but it's still Kyle Schwarber, who's got twenty five bums, like he could hit another ten to fifteen for the Red Sox and be like a six to seven hitter and be still legit. And Red Sox fans are comparing the Schwarber deal to the Rizzo deal, But the Rizzo and Sharber deals are kind of different because the Cubs ate up a lot of that salary, so the Yankees gave them better prospects in return. While now, if I'm not mistaken, the Red Sox need to pay a lot of Schwarber salary and so they didn't give up much. So it's kind of like, pick your poison. Do you want to pay more? Do you want better prospects? Cubs chose better prospects, Nationals chose money.
Speaker 2: So this is the biggest deal in trade deadline history.
Speaker 1: I think it might be. I mean there was Dodters have done this before, it seems like, but it's incredible.
Speaker 2: This is big.
Speaker 4: This is three cy youngs in a Hall of Famer along with a top what we do We called them the third best short stop in baseball Trey Turner. Yeah, when you already had the top five three And.
Speaker 1: In his last one hundred and fifty five games he has thirty three on runs and thirty sold bases.
Speaker 4: So this is not this is renting both trade. Turner has another year of arbitration the Dodgers. Trey Turner is a Dodger. Trey Turner might be the shortstop, but Turner is going to be the second baseman when he gets off this covid il and Corey Seeger is going to be the shortstop for the Dodgers in October.
Speaker 2: This is I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can't wrap my head around the magnitude of this deal. It's humongous and and what happened is simple. You got your three times Cy Young Award winner, and you got your top three shortstop in baseball, and you decided to let go of your number one and your number two prospect and a couple other guys.
Speaker 1: So they didn't give up Who gives a shit, They didn't give up nothing.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers absolutely stole those two guys, and the Nationals actually did pretty well. Like I agree, that hurts a little bit. He's going to be really good. I really believe that he's going to be. He's going to be a two or three with an outside shot of being an ace I've never really liked. And even though he's he's putting up big stats right now, huge stats in triple, a big approach change at the plate that he desperately needed. I still there's been makeup questions, which is something that you just kind of straight away from. I don't know anything about the other two prospects that gave up, and I know the Dodgers system pretty well, so I mean, and you add Max Scherzer, who's another.
Speaker 1: You're just like evil laughing there, sitting to yourself.
Speaker 3: Who's a number one on ninety the team's in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: He the third best pitcher in baseball right now?
Speaker 3: He's up there. He's top five, no doubt. He's got this stupid K percentage. The whip is stupid. I mean, the stuff is unreal. Do you slaught him in at number one or number two behind Bueler, I don't know, Like it doesn't matter. It's some amazing games for the Dogs so much. He's a dog like he's that guy who wants the ball in the postseason. He wants the ball in Game seven, similar to Butler. There, it's two legit number ones, like two arguably top five pitchers in baseball. Buehler is leading the league in innings by the way, which is incredible because he's never been a guy who's thrown a lot of innings. So you've got two legitimate guys that nobody wants to face ever. And then you got Juli Arius, who has proven himself time and time again, big game pitcher, closed out the World Series for the Dodgers last year. And then you got Clayton Kershaw, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Allid like, are you kidding?
Speaker 3: As Trey Turner is such an incredibly dynamic player. He's one of the fastest guys in the league. He's gonna hit three hundred to three twenty, he's gonna hit bombs, he's gonna hit doubles, he's gonna play decent defense at second base, and he's just like he puts so much pressure on the defense. Constantly hit too hot for to shortstop and it's a potential hit, Like that's so incredible, And the Dodgers just extended their lineup to one through eight. It is absolutely incredible. The only easy out right now in that lineup and easy as a stretch. It's so it's fucked up. It really is, Like it's even if they they're they're gonna they're gonna walk their way to the World Series. I think it's gonna be pretty crazy to watched.
Speaker 2: You got anything to add?
Speaker 3: Peep, no, no, I want.
Speaker 4: To run you through this calendar for Chicago sports. This is from Matt Spiegel, Kimberl and the White Sox at Wrigley August sixth through eight, White Sox at Cubs August sixth through eight, Rizzo and the Yankees at Guaranteed Rate to see the White Sox August fourteen and fifteen, Brian and the Giants at Wrigley September ten through twelve, Schwarmer and the Red Sox at the White Sox September ten through twelve, and of course September ten through twelve. That twelve is NFL Week one. That's Bears Rams on Sunday nights, So Chicagoans are in for hog Heaven September twelfth.
Speaker 1: What is the general vibe round the Chicago cups at this point? Have you heard from that? Like, are they doing okay? Ever away? Their entire world seris roster. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everybody is super thankful, they're super sentimental, and they're super sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think sentimental is the one that jumps out the most. Everybody is just thank you, Rizzo, thank you KB. Thank you Hovey for the memories. But this this felt inevitable, and they got a damn good return for those three guys.
Speaker 2: Kimberl Helps, Yeah, I mean it gonna be really good.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be really good.
Speaker 4: Okay, dude, walking away from all this, still holding on to Brennan Davis, Pete Crow Armstrong.
Speaker 2: You just added. Nico Horner is still here.
Speaker 4: Nick Madrigal's coming in, Adbert Alzalai is still there, Kyle Hendrix is still there, Wilson Contreras is still there, Braylan Marquez is coming up. And then you've got some young guys that have time to pan out, the two guys that the Yankee sent, and then Canario and the other guy that San Francisco sent.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the Yankees for a minute. Yeah. Is something that I've been racking my head around. What are they gonna do with Luke Voyse. Luke Voight remains a Yankee. You put Rizzo at first base, so now you put Luke Voyd at DH. I've been hearing rumors that Luke Voyd at DH, and then you put just try standon left. You just put Stan in left field, let him play outfield. Wait, hold on, Stan, Gallow and Judge in the outfield, which is the biggest group of humans in a singular outfield.
Speaker 2: Who's playing center? Gallo?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Shit, that lineup is so big. Let's go through it. DJ Lemahew's six foot four, Aaron Judge six foot seven. Who's gonna ait third? Gallo probably six' five six. Six their number four, hitter Gen carlo stand six, Six their number five Hitter Anthony rizzo now six' FOUR that i.
Speaker 2: Don't know he's got, Thick forearms THAT'S all. I know, it's, thick.
Speaker 1: Dude regardless, of, height thick, no doubt thickness off. The. Charts, Yeah two c's another guy who's. Really thick gary, still thick still, hitting well he's like an eight. Hundred ops guy's. A, catcher yeah worst defender on, the planet but it. Can hit we'll. Take, It glabor torres And g Roshella not shrimp's like. Six' one and then you have the best player, of them all the shortest, Of Them. All greg allen that's the. BIGGEST team ever i.
Speaker 2: Were, Gonna, say rugie.
Speaker 1: Yeah technically We still. Have rubyo o'dor.
Speaker 3: It's.
Speaker 1: A big team what do you guys think. You're gonna do is? That DO you OR i just i kind of wish they traded for a starter now when you consider all that we, Have, ON.
Speaker 3: Offense yeah i mean the pitching and defense is still a big question Mark. For the yankees there's No doubt about.
Speaker 1: IT'S almost got i said the defense sort, of got worse but it Didn't really because gallo is, a Good defender and rizzo is also. A good defender but it just seems like If you throw, stanton out there teams like too big. To be good if that. Makes any sense.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's still a little one dimensional, with, the walk strikeouts. SOME home runs i think There's no doubt rizzo sits in the three hole just because he's gonna he's gonna be the guy who consistently puts together the best at bats. On the Team Maybe, minus AARON judge maybe i think you're. Up the middle defense is still, not very good and if you.
Speaker 1: Put your j, back at.
Speaker 8: Second that's good, that is good a LOT of which i don't like when he's. Playing First, base joey gallo how how do we feel about? Him in, center you know he's not. A plus runner most of.
Speaker 3: The value that he has on defenses from that cannon. That he has there's absolute Cannons in. The yankee outfield now you're not for. Sure at home you still got, glabre at short You still got gary, behind the plate and you're still a little thin, on the rotation and there's question marks. In the bullpen but they no, Doubt got better there's no. Doubt about that but there's still some big issues with THE team that i Don't Think the white sox Have or. The, astros have.
Speaker 1: Jack we didn't get to talk to You about. The yankee stuff what do you think?
Speaker 4: About, the trades yeah it's overall it felt like they stick to THEIR identity that i thought. NEEDED to change i Thought that the yankees needed to diversify just, a little bit and they did, diversity lefties okay but they Got The Lefty, john carlo stanton and then they Got Better Than.
Speaker 3: Carlo.
Speaker 4: Joey gallow yeah it's freakd, tanks and strikeouts But, BETTER than stanton i.
Speaker 2: Mean, so slightly, Yeah MAYBE.
Speaker 4: Maybe like, I under listen joey gallow, is really good But So Is. John carlos stanton he signed a three hundred, million Dollar Deal Like john carlos stanton very, Good At baseball joey gallow very? Good at baseball does it help to have two of, the same guy one batting from, the left side one from.
Speaker 8: The?
Speaker 4: Right Side Absolutely is anthony? Rizzo still good is he is still an? On Base machine and willie pump out ten home runs at the end of this year to?
Speaker 3: The?
Speaker 1: Short?
Speaker 2: Porch yeah probably but who's going to get on base for you when you need to? Get on Base?
Speaker 1: Rizzo, and gallo judge who's going to?
Speaker 3: STEAL?
Speaker 2: Second base dj? Who's Gonna steal.
Speaker 1: Saying labor he? Is, stealing bases okay one?
Speaker 4: Out of nine who's gonna? Steal second Base Aside? From Glabor Torres, maybe greg allen See your pinchun where do.
Speaker 1: You going to play? On our team.
Speaker 4: Where in the Outfield, It's It's? STANTON judge, GALLO.
Speaker 1: I think i think maybe you're you're starting to do some Benching, voint ching stanton like give these guys rest and.
Speaker 2: Then put in space for all these. Immobile, power, bats yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah there is their athletes are not as good as the. OTHER best teams i.
Speaker 1: Agree that that's why them even the best Team In. The AL east but i think they have an outside shot of the, wild card now when before this there. Was no hope it seemed.
Speaker 4: Like they did this to contend for. THE wild card i don't think they stack up well in. A playoff series, They did this bryan sneak. Into The postseason brian cashman did this to.
Speaker 3: Save, his job.
Speaker 4: Yeah and while they are, very SEXY moves and i think he.
Speaker 3: SAVED his job i think he might have if they. Make, the playoffs yeah.
Speaker 1: If they don't, make the Playoffs is FRAN? Cashman the?
Speaker 2: Gm, PROBABLY not yeah i.
Speaker 3: Don't think so might as well just.
Speaker 1: Ended on that we got any more trades, To, Go.
Speaker 2: Over dustin, this, was awesome man appreciate you. Joining.
Speaker 4: AS always pete i guess we'll. Talk, against him yeah we'll. Be back on we got an episode Of. Record on monday top five gms possibly.
Speaker 2: Post deadline buzz that.
Speaker 4: Could be fun That could be, Funman Number One boiler alert.
Speaker 2: Freeman number, one, all right.
Speaker 1: Wait, hold on dustin we didn't do. Top five gms what do you think we? Should rank next.
Speaker 3: Oh that's.
Speaker 1: A good.
Speaker 3: One you guys you guys. HAVE ranked everything i don't know what else. Serious to rank i'll get back to, you on that but you guys have ranked everything you did, pretty WELL too so.
Speaker 2: I don't, Know, all right, pete you're ready we're gonna say it at. The, same, time.
Speaker 4: Three two, one, Thank you, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody