Speaker 1: Calling all my sweeties to the forefront. I'm your host, Chris Rna.
Speaker 2: Hazel and this is the Keeping Positive, Sweetish Show. Purpose has a way of asking more from us than we can ever expect. Today's conversation is about the courage to keep saying yes even when the assignment gets heavy. We are sitting with Jasmine at Crow Houston. Today's guest has reimagined what it looks like to solve one of our country's biggest challenges. Jas And Crow Houston is the founder and CEO of Gooder and innovative company that's recovered millions of pounds of surplus food, built free grocery markets and underserved communities, and help make food and security, sustainability, and dignity part of the same conversation. She has been recognized by Forbes and The New York Times, and now she is sharing her journey in her very first book, Feeding Hope Kids Feeling Please give a very warm welcome to Jazzmine crow Houston.
Speaker 1: How are you doing so, I'm.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, Thank you so much. I want to start off by saying congratulations. You have a new book, Feeding Hope. How to build a mission driven enterprise to create change? You've already done so much to create change, and now you're an author.
Speaker 1: This is so exciting. And you just.
Speaker 2: Said that today or yesterday was the first time you actually got to touch today.
Speaker 3: Like literally before I came here, I was like your producers, like, can you bring a copy of the book? I said, they just arrived this week and so I opened it and yes, you're holding the first copy I ever touched.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm a reader, so I love the texture of the cover already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pages feel good. Yeah, I'm excited to.
Speaker 3: Do book reader like I haven't got into like audible ye kindles.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, unless I'm in a hurry, like I'm trying. I need to read, like are speeded up and like get something through something.
Speaker 1: I like to touch the pages. I want to smell.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminds me of when I was a kid, and I'll be like Beverly Clear or the Babysitters Books Club.
Speaker 4: It's something about the pages Valley High.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, But before we dive in, because I do want to talk more about your book, let's play a quick game.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: The game is called keep It or Give It.
Speaker 2: Let's see, So I'm gonna throw out a few words, and you tell me if you're keeping them or you're gonna give them away.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you mine after this. The first one is group chats, keep keep.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my group chats have been very Yes, I'm gonna keep them, definitely.
Speaker 1: I love that I have one group chat that I loved. All the other ones I mute.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, crazy, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: Especially chats I feel like.
Speaker 3: Yes, not the big ones I would definitely give away, but the small ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that is important.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I love the early mornings giveaway.
Speaker 4: I'm late, but I do not like an early morning giveaway.
Speaker 1: See. I wake up at five am, so I'm an early riser.
Speaker 3: When I do get to the gym at five thirty, I feel really good. But it doesn't happen often.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a good feeling.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a very good feeling. I love that fear, h So I have a I would say keep it.
Speaker 3: I have a healthy amount of fear, and you know, I think sometimes it helps you plan for like the worst. So I think you have to keep fear, but you can't give in to it. I would say that that's good.
Speaker 1: I like that rest.
Speaker 4: Keep Yes, hope no one gives that away.
Speaker 1: Listen, before you got here, I take sure. I was like, what's their et a?
Speaker 2: Because I was in their neck, and yes, I love gotta get it cooking, keeping sure.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite dish to cook?
Speaker 4: Probably lasagna?
Speaker 3: Or I make really good Everyone says I make a really good steak, Like I think that's the thing I've been making the longest that I'm like, apparently steak lamb chops. Someone called me the other day the lamb chop god.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yess yes, I was a lamb chop god.
Speaker 1: I was like, you cook it, yes, steak chops, Yes, love it. Yes, I'm down. I love silence.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give away silence. I love my music. I'm annoying.
Speaker 3: I even fall asleep to the TV, which is probably very I mean, I put my sleep timer on, but I fall asleep to the TV TV.
Speaker 1: I used to be the same way.
Speaker 2: I would fall asleep watching friends, wake up watching watch friends.
Speaker 3: Yes, like I have the modern family. I have very good feel good shows and then crime shows like true Crimes, like those are my things.
Speaker 1: I love that. Now I have to sleep really dark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you got to if you wake up at five am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that times like my brain will keep going. So I have to do my amazing spray and just go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the magnesium spray, if you put it on your feet, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's gonna tell you within five minutes.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it's good for you if your parents. I sprayed a tiny bit on my kid the other day and it worked, So that's I'll give you guys that like a tiny like a spray it on your hand, rub.
Speaker 2: It on the.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love that.
Speaker 2: Jess to tell you right now, I was blown away by your journey. Shelley sings your praises. She's like, you gotta meet her. She is absolutely love her and she's a good friend because she was really singing your.
Speaker 1: Praises, and I was excited to get to sit down with you.
Speaker 4: It's been a journey ten years.
Speaker 1: This is a day.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's nothing happens overnight.
Speaker 1: No, it does not.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the journey because a lot of people they've heard gooder, they don't know the person behind it.
Speaker 1: So I want to know.
Speaker 2: Everything, like how did you get to that point and what made you think of that?
Speaker 1: But let's start from the beginning.
Speaker 3: So I moved to Atlanta in twenty thirteen. My sister was going to Spelman. When I graduated college, I went to college in North Carolina. My parents funny story. I wanted to go to Howard Clark, all the places we were living in North Carolina. My parents were like, we want you to be two hours from home, Like we want you to be driving distance from home.
Speaker 4: My freshman year, they moved to Portland, Oregon.
Speaker 1: You out.
Speaker 3: I always wild shame them for this story. They don't hear it every time. So now I hope everyone that's listening, here's this about my parents. They left me in North Carolina as a freshman, and so I finished college, stayed through, graduated in my four years. Once they graduated, they hated Portland. They had moved to Phoenix, Arizona. So I moved to Phoenix. My sister was entering high school and I was telling her, like, you need to go to an HBCU. Arizona is very, very non diverse, like the whole state is probably three percent African Americans. So got her to go to Spelman. We didn't know anyone here, and I was like, you know.
Speaker 4: I'll go.
Speaker 3: So she came in the fall I came in January of twenty thirteen, and I drove through downtown and just saw a lot.
Speaker 4: Of people experiencing homelessness.
Speaker 3: And it was if you're kind of new to Atlanta now, like the whole downtown Peachtree Pine, like where I used to feed it is now a hospital. So that should let you know, like how much has been built up? Yes, but there used to be hundreds of people outside of this shelter. And so I was like, I want to do some cooking. And I learned to cook when I was at home in North Carolina by myself, Like the very first Thanksgiving, me and my frend Chanelle, who's with me, we cooked for everyone who couldn't go home for thanks I mean, and we made so much food it was like crazy, Like I mean, we was Betty Crocker recipe, you know, printing it out. This is back in the map Quest days where you had to like print out where you're going, printing out recipes. Making turkey. Chanelle that was taking culinary had learned how to season a turkey. So we made all this food and I wanted to do that. So I started my journey, really started feeding people out of my kitchen on the streets of Atlanta, and so many people used to come out and feed with me. So like I'll run into people now to be like, I can't believe you're still I'm in the grocery store there, like you're still the same person, Like I'm always I was like cupawning price matching, looking at it what publics had on bogo, what Kroger had on sale, and that's how it would make the menus. So I started, you know, cooking for people and saw that just the way people are treated if they are experiencing hunger or homelessness, is just anything, right, I mean, it could spread any cause domestic silence. So often we don't know what it's like when you're experiencing it, Like if it's like, you know, you're just donating your cans, you're just putting, you know, donating checking, giving a dollar at the grocery store. You know, they asked you do you want to donate to the food bank, and you do it, and then on the other side of it, it's always like here, just take this. You're hungry, it doesn't matter. If you're vegan, it doesn't matter. If you don't eat dairy, it doesn't matter. If you have religious convictions and you don't eat pork or whatever, you never get a choice. And so that's what was so different about us feeding on the streets. We had menus and we had options, and if people just had yes, it was like a little restaurant. It literally was a restaurant. So it started there. And I feel like that's why I met Shelley. Just so many people through those that work yes doing that.
Speaker 1: That is incredible and fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's crazy to think about it. And I was thirteen years ago, like, and I did that for four or five years before I ever even started Gooder. So I was doing that every weekend for years. Wow, for years traveling. I took one to Essence Fest one year. I mean I did one in DC. So I would take the whole experience and just go do a pop up restaurant in another.
Speaker 4: City to feed people that were homeless.
Speaker 1: It was sad. That is awesome. That is amazing. Have you always had a heart to see the overlooked? You know?
Speaker 4: My dad recently told me. He called me the other day.
Speaker 3: He was like Chubby, which is my nickname, and he was like, you remember that Christmas when we decided not to get you something for Christmas, and we brought gifts for this mom and her six kids. He's like you remember that, He was like, you were so happy. I did not even remember that story, So I guess at some point I even, you know, went without Christmas gifts so that another family and kids could have it. And my dad always tells like little antidotes about your life that you just don't remember, like, oh, I remember one time in DC you were asking why people were homeless. Like I don't remember any of these stories, but apparently yes. I had that notebook by Elanya van Ziyan. It was like something. It was like, oh my god, what was it called. It was like a yellow little journal. All the girls had it. It was like it was like keeping saying true to yourself. It was like a little work book. And I found it recently so I still have it. And my handwriting was terrible, and I was talking like, you know, it makes me mad when people hate on me and my friends. I was a teenager, definitely, like in high school or middle school. But I wrote in that that I wanted to be known for doing something good twenty thirty years before I would ever start doing anything, so I must have always had good I have that to this day. Wrote that terrible handwriting, very young, and it had like little prompts like what's something that makes you feel bad? And that's when I was like, when people hate on me and my friends? And then you know what do you want to be known for doing something good? Like that was what I wrote, and so it was. It was kind of I guess foreshadowing if you will. Yeah, yes, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: To think about it. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I love that your dad reminded you of a memory that you had probably forgotten, but it was a core of who you are.
Speaker 4: Yes, so many of those.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot that we don't know, because if you don't sit back and sit in your your past, you're always on go. We just were talking about that. God, oh, I don't think I reflected it. I never remembered having and I feel bad. He was like, we we went over there and you watched them open all the presence, Like he has very vivid memories because he's an adult and it's probably like a big thing for him. I don't remember.
Speaker 4: You were like, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Birthdays, like you know people you throw the birthday parties. Your kids don't remember it. I can kind of see that, But we also didn't have all we have now, Like you know, now, if something like that happened, I'd probably have pictures to show my kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know we didn't.
Speaker 2: Have that, right absolutely, So your heart turned into a full business and your heart posture did what has been the navigation of that when you really like saw a need, but then it turns into this full blown business.
Speaker 3: It is I used to be into being Mary Jane. That used to be my show.
Speaker 2: It just started coming back on, or maybe it hasn't, but I just watching TV one day and they popped up and I was watching for like hours hours.
Speaker 4: She's the right little post its on her.
Speaker 3: So I was doing that on my mirror when I was living, you know, in Atlanta, first starting this business ten years ago, literally probably ten years ago to the day, and when I was thinking about good Or, I remember I wanted to provide a million meals and make a million dollars like that was the goal. And now you know, probably like next year, Gooder will have seen probably nine figures in lifetime revenue and provided fifty million plus meals to people.
Speaker 4: And it's like to know.
Speaker 3: Like I wrote that on a post it like one million meals be worth the company be worth.
Speaker 4: A million dollars.
Speaker 3: I have always led with my heart with this company, and I write about that a lot in the book. I have failed in a lot of ways, whether it's been fundraising, like building a right team. You know, there's all kinds of things that have not been great along the journey. But at the end of the day, I cannot when it's all said and done, because a lot of times I'm like, man, even in my book, I was like, listen, by the time you read this, my company may not be here. I know, because you know, it was like in twenty twenty five. There was a lot happening last year, especially for black women in business, you know. So I was like, I don't know, And that's when I was writing this, you know, going through it. But I know that I have always done it for the right reasons. Like you know, I was doing it when I had nothing. I was feeding people, wondering like dang, like I should have made myself a little plate when I would get.
Speaker 4: Home, you know.
Speaker 3: So to start a business that has employed hundreds of people fed millions, if people worked with everybody, you know, from Delta to the NBA. I mean, we have had a lot of highs and there's definitely been a lot of lows. But my heart posture has never been to give people less, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: People would be like, oh, give them.
Speaker 3: Less or I remember one time one of my friends was like, oh, they're homeless, you know, so it doesn't matter, and I was like it does, Like you know, it definitely does. Like you can't just give people anything. And it goes back to I think what we should have all learned in kindergarten, like treating people how you want to be treated, and we always don't do that. I mean we and a lot of times in our day to day lives we want to be treated a certain way, but it's like, how often are we really treating people the way we want to be treated? And in the service industry, it does not happen. And when I say service like this kind of nonprofit giving social impact space, it's just like check the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, absolutely, it's.
Speaker 4: I'm really proud of that.
Speaker 3: Like I can say that with all my heart, on all my kids, on everything in my life, I've always wanted the best for people in the business, and so for investors, and you know, I've raised capital and stuff that's not been the thing because it's like, oh, they don't care about feeding people, they care about money. So it was really hard to kind of blend the two. And in hindsight, you know, it's hard to think about it now, but maybe I should have said good or up as a nonprofit, And instead I thought, well, businesses are paying to throw away perfectly good food, and you know, why would we be free if I'm going to like hire a driver and get this food delivered. And you know, we work with Tyler Perry Studios. We do all the food on all the sets. Like nothing goes to waste from any of the studios. It's like, those are dreams that I had. And yeah, and I didn't make it as a business. Had it been a nonprofit, maybe could have been, you know, like I would have then been going really head to head against the Food Bank, which I still ended up doing, or feeding Americas and the bigger organizations. But I think it would have I don't think I would be where I am today had I not made it into a business.
Speaker 2: Right, So let's talk about some of the losses or failures and the roadblocks that you hit along the way.
Speaker 1: Building is because we see what you've built.
Speaker 2: But can you share some of the lessons and some of the moments where you felt like this is a really low moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean I think in twenty twenty three. It's funny I saw on social media someone was like, what's the year that you made it through? You know that you're glad the right about And I was like, it's a few like twenty sixteen, and then twenty twenty three was a really tough one. I was pregnant with my second child, very difficult pregnancy, like very I don't even think I told close friends, family, like real real close close people, probably until like second trimester, you know, like literally probably at least five or six months pregnant before I told anyone. Never told no one at my company, no one, like literally, I just I posted on social media one day like I want to introduce you out to my baby, like you know what I mean, like literally the day, yeah, like it's my birthday, here's my baby. And I think people afterwards, people were like, you know, when I saw you, I thought, you know, I wondered if you was a little pregnant like, you know, they were saying things like that, but at the time no one said anything. But I was just going through so much in my company, and I think the biggest thing was like people and what I would try and do was I was such a giver and that I realized I was a people pleaser. I was like, oh, I'm going to give all of my employees two hundred and fifty dollars a month for you know, for mental health or for veterinary services, like whatever they want to do, for yoga, whatever. I still do that, but I was doing it and expecting that they would not so much be loyal to me, but more so like see that I was really trying to be a good leader. I gave everybody the first Friday of the month off. I always, you know, try to do team retreats and take us to nice places like two times a year, bring your spouses. Like I was like giving so much of myself showing up. I wanted to be this humility based leader that I would clean the bathroom, would I mean every office we opened everything. I was painting the windows, doing you know, painting the windows, stills like being involved. I remember one time I was cleaning the window with windecks and our like our receptionists at the time, She's like, give it to me, like stop.
Speaker 4: I was like, you know, but that was who I was.
Speaker 3: So I think a lot of failure on team, a lot of failure on just like trying to you know, fundraise like that was a real tough one. I remember meeting with so many investors and you know, people just tell me it would never work, and they did it a believe in it, and so then when they're hard times, I was like, oh my god, they're right. I'm pretty sure they're going to be so happy that they didn't invest in me. And you know, I think those have been the biggest too. Definitely building teams, cause it's been you know, you're you're good with an employee, and then when it's not it doesn't go the way, you're like the worst person. So I think that that's like one of those things that had happened a lot of times, and just you know, trying to not lose focus of the mission, even when investors and people were like, I don't think you should concentrate on that. Don't do grocery stores, you should focus on just food waste. And I was like No, we could do both, you know, we could be a business that does both things. Like how many different lines of businesses Amazon have? Why do I only have to do one thing? Amazon has grocery stores and CDA, yeah, media, and they have a TV network, they have their deliveries, they have medical you know.
Speaker 4: Like why do I have to just only do this?
Speaker 3: And so just being able to make decisions without caring about what other people think was something that I failed at a lot. And then you know, just the actual like getting the right people and when you spend thousands and thousands of dollars on employees and it doesn't work out, and it's like a lot of money down the drain. And at this point in my business and I've spent millions, millions, I'm like employing people, hiring lawyers, just like all the things, all the things, and you start to think, like was that a waste to tell?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Waste the time and money, man? And if I had that.
Speaker 3: Back now, like if I had the money I spent on this trip or this perk or this this and this, like you know, in hard times, you're like, did I make the right decisions then?
Speaker 2: But all you can ever do is keep going and continue to be Yeah, and be true to who you are. Yes, you know that it is your heart posture and being kind and wanting to be giving is who you naturally are. I think sometimes when things like that happen, where it doesn't work out or you feel taken me for granted, you start to question, like, yeah, am I doing the right thing?
Speaker 1: I should just keep the main thing.
Speaker 2: The main thing, because like you look when you look back, and like I spent all this money and they didn't even appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I didn't appreciate it.
Speaker 3: And I think the other thing is like a little imposture syndrome, not so much like when you've been doing it for ten years and having this company. I thought about it the other day. I've I've done so much. I mean, I've spoken like the president of Egypt flew me out, I spoke at like a m Yes, I've been to Egypt, I've been to can Lions, and I've done commercials, I've done ted talks, I've done I mean just so much that I've done with this company, which is like sometimes you have to sit back and think about it, like a lot has happened good, a lot of bad, a lot of bad too. I remember one time I had the Atlanta Public School District. This is my friends know this over. This is a funny one Atlanta Public School District had let good or have a school to take over during the pandemic when we were feeding families and I got a call one morning, like four am, and it was the police and they were like listen, like we're here. Some of your employees are in here, and they're like they're living in the school. Like it was just so crazy. I mean, people are calling me like did you know so and so is living in the school.
Speaker 2: I'm like no, like just like the amount of yes and then like yes, like y'all about to ruin.
Speaker 4: Everything, like the whole relationship with the school. I mean just so many things. So you have to like apologize.
Speaker 3: And you know the cop that I was on the phone with me at four o'clock in the morning, I'm pregnant when my first child at the time. He was like, but I've been I see y'all on the news, and i know what y'all are doing. You know, I'm just tell them to get out of here and it's not going to be an issue. But like, just you know, I remember one time one of my drivers, my truck driver went through like a low median and tore the whole box truck off. Forty thousand dollars there. Yes, insurance company was like they want it covered. They don't cover negligence. That's literally what they said. They're like it had it says like a median. There's a lower thing he drove through. I mean the picture was I mean, you've never seen it was like a box truck. The scale of the box truck, the whole covering was gone, like just so many things, like forty thousand can you imagine that, Like just like just the money, the bills, It has been crazy, three hundred thousand dollars lawyer bills like you just a lot of yeah, they don't see that. So lots of good, lots of bad kind of like the ebbs and the flows, but the biggest pieces like every day we're in business, people are eating like yeah, so I mean like and so it always is a scary port for me because what do I do if I don't do this, Like we can't if we shut down. Like there's so many people, seniors, people who eat every single day. Like we opened a grocery store and a deli on Edgewood near the King Center, and I was in it the other day and I heard a man say, like, I appreciate y'all being here, like thank you for being here, like a senior because he could get a five dollars meal at our grocery store every day, like you can't do that at any other grocery store, and so.
Speaker 4: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Nothing, So it's like we have to be alive, but it's hard. It's hard to keep it going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of hard, when did you realize that you could do hard things?
Speaker 1: What was the moment we were like, Okay, I can do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think during the pandemic. I think twenty twenty was very telling. You know, on one day my business was we were working heavily on getting the excess food from businesses and getting it out to nonprofits. And the day that we went in quarantine, all everybody like stop service, like so literally everybody, cause there's like, hey, we're going home, We're going to cut it off. So I'm knowing that we're not going to get paid like we didn't. We didn't get a PPP loan like all of that stuff. We were too small of a company at the time. But within a matter of a week, we had set up this whole fulfillment center at a school, hired fifty employees, started getting donations from like Quality Control, music Spank, Sarah Blakeley gave us one hundred thousand dollars. United Way gave us money to feed families. And we did it in like a week. Like I was waking up at this is when I was an early morning girl, waking up at five am going to Walmart buying like twenty baskets of groceries, going to this school, putting them in boxes, having all these employees come and deliver them to the doors of people with masks on, and like you know, all this like we had to get I think we had to print out these things that we were like essential workers to keeping our dashboards to be out.
Speaker 4: Like that's how serious it was. And that was hard.
Speaker 3: I mean, but we were feeding thousands and thousands of people and it was like and we just did it within a matter of weeks. It was just like almost like panic. We got to think it was six years ago. It seemed so long ago when that happened. Yeah, when that happened, we were like, what's happening here?
Speaker 4: Like people just yeah. That was a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: When I went to week ago, she said to me, she's like, you remember in New York, we used to have the refrigerated trucks with all the bodies. I was like, what, I didn't even know in New York, like during the pandemic.
Speaker 1: There was no there was no I remember that.
Speaker 3: She was like, they had refrigerated trucks. You would see them going up and like this with bodies inside. I can't even believe.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that yet.
Speaker 1: Because the families couldn't come.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no one could climban it was it was crazy. Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: So that's when I knew. Like when I did that, I was like, okay, yeah, I could do.
Speaker 1: It all Bill. Yeah, I feel I was built for it. My goodness, I didn't realize it has been six years.
Speaker 3: Yeah a little, I mean, and this was like six years around. This time was like the thick of it because it was in March. It was March eighth, twenty twenty. I remember the day. I was like, and I remember.
Speaker 4: Us thinking it was gonna be two weeks.
Speaker 3: Like very like, oh, you know, fourteen days, let's just buckle down and do this. And it was at least almost two years before we really started getting out again.
Speaker 1: Literally, yeah, I think Essence.
Speaker 4: Came back in twenty twenty two or twenty twenty three, so it.
Speaker 1: Was like a couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we all had it.
Speaker 3: You know, you had COVID a couple of days like this is a lie. And my godmother's husband died during COVID. It was yes, because you know they used to send you home from the emergency room and he went with like saying something was wrong with his head, and then they sent him home and he died of an aneurysm. So it's just like yeah, like he so so much. I mean, just like it was tough. It was a real tough tough thing. Not gonna wait, we don't have We listened to science and you know, do all the things, but that was a hard time to build a business during, like one of the hardest times when also when people were out of work everybody. Yeah, I've had flight attendants nurses that were like working for plastic surgeons, so you know all the elective surgeries and stuff were canceled who were like they'll stop me. Like when I was a flight attendant, I was struggling and I heard about your food drive and I remember going and being like, I got fish and I'll never forget like the fact that they got good food when they were in their darkest time, just like people have stopped me till this day.
Speaker 4: That's why love Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'll be out looking crazy and I'd be like, I thought that was you was cause I look crazy.
Speaker 4: Love On the day to day.
Speaker 2: How does it feel when people come up to you and let you know the impact that you're making.
Speaker 3: I never forget it, you know. I still remember getting an email in September of twenty twenty one from a lady named Bertha, who I assume was a senior, and she was like, thank you for giving me meat that wasn't brown and I'll never forget that like that, and that's why I was like, that's what we do. What we do for yeah, And I remember sending that to the team and I was like, I want you to read this like this is look at this like people are so used to getting seconds.
Speaker 4: The clearance sticker meats.
Speaker 3: The stuff that's you know, used by today or freeze, like that's the name of the game and that's the stuff Like if we don't sell something at our store today, we and it says user freeze by tomorrow. We take it out, We freeze it, put it out and give it away for free, like you know, like it's just and I know it's good, Like we aren't making someone like feel less than but we still have hundreds of people that come through our doors to shop for free and they don't even have to shop for that, you know. I'm still giving that away on top of whatever we give, you know. So that makes me feel really good because that's what we exist for. And what makes me upset about it is it's like that is so hard to fight for. Yes, it's so hard, like you know, to to just fight for people to have good food. Like it's like, oh you don't there's no funding for it, there's no people don't see the value in feeding people good food.
Speaker 1: No, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a scary way to think, you know, for sure.
Speaker 4: Honestly it's tough.
Speaker 2: Wow, what you have done takes a lot of courage. So I want to know who was your role model that instilled courage in you? Or has life been the best teacher in that space?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean definitely gonna have to say my dad, Like when I was building the company, I was struggling. You know, my dad always talks about like every time he would get paid, he would send me three hundred dollars towards my rent, Like you know, just like all of those things. Just like someone to still believe he comes now. He like will come and work in the grocery store, and he'll come here, Like Jasmine, Chubby is someone I want you to take a picture with.
Speaker 4: It's just like a random person. Like it's just like you know whoever it is.
Speaker 3: But it's just like being having someone that's just proud of you, no matter if you fail or not, like you know, So I think definitely my dad, But my parents. My parents were hard workers, you know, and I grew up my parents were really poor until they got to like their thirty mid thirties.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They were high school sweethearts. They've been together since fourteen fifteen. They had me in nineteen and twenty, and I remember my mom telling me like her dream was like to live in a double wide trailer. So like I remember like just growing up and just not having a ton you know, Like in hindsight, I'm like, oh wow, Like we were struggling. And then I watched my mom go to school at University of Phoenix, part time, working full time, going to school at night, going back and getting her masters, like literally like she retired as the CEO of a hospital, and I watched her like start from you know, not like literally drop out of college because they got pregnant with me and follow my dad in the Air Force. And so just like seeing how hard they work and still struggled, Like I just I am always baffled by that, and so I have a real, I guess affinity to making sure that people who are doing their best have the resources that they need because I watched people around me struggling, and I still watch that today. I know a lot of people who I'm like, God, they're always working, but they still are struggling because everything keeps going, the needle keeps moving, like you know, you get here and now the goal post is here, the rain has went up, or the you know, the power bill of six hundred because now it's hot, and I mean you just can't keep your breath and you're never you're never not running, and so like I want to make sure that those people are good.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love that.
Speaker 2: Did you always we talked about vision, Did you always know that you were going to do something so extraordinary? Like what was your initial vision for yourself?
Speaker 4: I mean I wanted to be a teacher.
Speaker 3: So I had originally went to North Carolina Central for teaching, and I did the summer before I went. I had like my own little summer camp and it was like a scholarship. I think you worked this Summerskinghampion. You got like a three thousand dollars scholarship.
Speaker 4: And it was great.
Speaker 3: I mean I had I had like the radio come out from my camp. I had a party, I got pizza consort. I was like, I was gonna be one of those teachers. And then I really loved sports, and so I wanted to do broadcast journalism, so I switched to communications, I mean intern with Radio one. I mean I did all the things, started doing PR. So I don't think I knew I wanted to be like extraordinary. I felt like I wanted to help other people be extraordinary, especially in those early like PR days. But I did know I wanted to help people, and that has been something that's been probably very early on.
Speaker 4: People that have known me.
Speaker 3: For a long time would say yeah, she was helping people or she was doing stuff. I mean, so someone described me the other day. I started Future the Rapper Futures Foundation years ago here in Atlanta, and someone Bobby, who works with him, came into my store.
Speaker 4: Hey Bobby a great, great.
Speaker 3: Guy, and he was like yeah, yes, yes, Bobby is so great. He's like, yeah, you know she did a nonprofit hick like she didn't have started all to nonprofit, like you know what, that's kind of how.
Speaker 4: They think about it. I'm like nonprofit lamb choped God.
Speaker 3: You know, I got a lot of titles, but a lot of people know me from like nonprofits, feeding people, just doing that. So and honestly, I love that you said extraordinary because I probably what I do now is extraordinary, but I probably would never use that as an adjective to describe it. So I should rethink, you know, yeah, yes, I would just be like I feed people and like, you know, give people. I don't think I would describe extraordinary at all.
Speaker 2: Extraordinary, Yes, yes, exactly exactly. Do you think that God was building the courage before you really understood your assignment?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, Like I remember I used to practice like pitching my business so much, like so so much, and I would it's probably like you know this right, like remember memorizing the lines, and I would I would get to like the last minute and get something wrong and then like make myself start over again. So when I would go into pitch competitions, which is how I funded Gooder for like the first year, I think I won maybe two hundred thousand dollars in prize money. I was just like anywhere there's a pitch competition, like let me, let me try and win this money. Because I didn't have anything to start it. But I just felt like God just had his hands on my life cause I would just go in and I would just win, you know, like it was just so And I always knew like if anyone had practiced more than me, than they were crazy, because I thought I was crazy. I was like practicing day and night, having everybody listened to it. Everyone just like pitch and pitch and pitching. But I do know just in a lot of moments, like to be here ten years, God's got to have a big part in it. Yeah, because most black owned women businesses starting with a solo founder that don't make it three years, don't make it five, don't make it seven. So like I keep and I keep on telling myself, I got him see January twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: I got to see it.
Speaker 3: I don't care if I'm the last employees and it I will see January and we will officially have been ten I've been working on it for ten years. But if I can make it to January twenties twenty seven, it will have been a real business for twenty Yes, for ten years.
Speaker 4: Which is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like a business that like has employed like a real business, like a real business, like paid taxes and all the things come on, all.
Speaker 1: The things that's real.
Speaker 3: Yes, employed a lot of it, I mean yes, and fed me like I think that's the biggest piece too. Like I've employed myself for a decade, wow, which is you know. And through that decade, through this journey, I've had kids, I've gotten married. I was single, like sleeping in my friend's apartment like broom like I was, you know, I started from nothing, and so it's definitely been a God purpose driven life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I love that talk about God purpose driven life. I want to know, when did you know that Gooder was an assignment on your life? That this is like something that God had placed on you. It is your responsibility.
Speaker 3: I would say, the very first day that I ever pitched it, you know, like it was like I remember I got this little T shirt made, it was like stretched, you know, the logo wasn't centered, so Geter was like all the way across here.
Speaker 4: It was like but you know, I was so proud and I still have.
Speaker 3: This yes, and I was just like, you know, like this is what I'm going to do. And and by that time, so many people had told me it didn't makes sense, like you know, you want to do that, no one's ever going to pay for that, and you know all of that.
Speaker 4: Like so I think I was.
Speaker 3: Like, this is if I'm not meant to do this, why do I have the idea? Why do I have the why do I have the name? Why do I know that? You know, it's a problem, Like I think just the day one, like day one, really thinking like and again my vision at the time was so small in hindsight, like a million meals. We probably did that probably the first month or so during the pandemic alone. You know, yeah, for sure, it's crazy to think about everyone used so sayd we had a Gooder box. Like we used to give people like a box of food that would get them through.
Speaker 4: Like ten days. Like it was so much food, and.
Speaker 3: People were just blown away it was good, you know, and they would tell it. I mean, we'd have stickers on the box like low sugar, diabetic, no pork. So every box was literally like tailored to what those families were eating. And so it's yeah, that was so.
Speaker 2: Thought too, Like a lot of thought put into because, like you say, a lot of times when you have the food banks, so just putting food in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I love that you're telling it because there's a lot of things that we don't eat. Our bodies can't take, you know, for whether it's our blood type or allergies.
Speaker 1: And different things. So I love that you took the time to do that. That's amazing. You kind of started this before it was a thing.
Speaker 2: You know, what did it feel like carrying something that a lot of people weren't carrying yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know how that feel.
Speaker 3: I think you know a lot of times you felt like to do I make sense to anybody? Like you know, cause I mean, and that's how I feel like every entrepreneur starts. It's a dream like you know, first you made your mom and your dad and your auntie might be your first customer, you know.
Speaker 4: I couldn't. I didn't have that here, Like I wasn't selling a product.
Speaker 3: I was selling like a service and like a service to businesses, right, So at first I was like maybe I am really crazy, like maybe this doesn't make sense. And I remember my dad used to send me so many jobs, Like after the first like year I was pitching trying to fundraise, nothing was coming from it, and my dad was like sending me ing jobs and he was like you got to keep your lights on, you know. And I was like, God, I'm gonna have to get a job, you know. So I felt like a little bit like maybe out of place, especially in those early days, like going and talking to investors. I remember I told someone I was like an HPC or alumna, and he was like, where's that at, Like, you know, like a lot of times you're just talking to people that just don't understand hunger, never have been hungry, don't understand the walk that you're in. So I definitely felt like out of place a lot of times. But then there would be moments where it would be very reaffirming like some one of my investors, like I grew up poor, I grew up hungry, Like I want to invest in you?
Speaker 4: What do I need to do?
Speaker 3: So like those moments would happen too, but I felt very much like maybe I'm crazy. I'm pretty I would say, like probably, Like how you know even like think of like Tyner Perry, so many entrepreneurs, like at first, it's just you and you're just saying this is what this is the vision, and a lot of people don't believe in it, and then they kicked themselves later, right, and so you have to believe in it, and that's like the most important, Like, you know, others didn't. A lot of others didn't. I had definitely friends and family that I think my dad, I won't say he didn't believe in me when he was sending me jobs, but he was like, you got to still be it if it doesn't work. You gotta still be able to eat, you know, feed yourself and do all the things. But you will ultimately be the only person that will believe and has to continue to reaffirm yourself when other people are telling you you're crazy, it's not going to work. You should shut it down, wind down, like you know, this is I can't tell you. My accountant is like I think some I remember last year she was like, I feel like we should shut the company down, like let's just pay off, like just like very much, just hard conversations and I'm like no, like something's going to happen, and so many big things would happen, like we'd get big donations, we'd get just stuff would just happen that it's like that's nothing, but God, like what do.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you do?
Speaker 4: And he'll do that?
Speaker 3: I mean they had things have happened, and I've had moments look at my phone, look who email looking like this is it happens.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of stuff, and it.
Speaker 3: Only happens if you don't quit, you know, because there if I had quit, like when my accountant told me that, I would have got that email and someone wants to give me a large donation and the company's closed, I don't even need to donate.
Speaker 4: Like you know, what do you do then?
Speaker 3: Like you know, so it's like you have to figure it out, even if it's just like.
Speaker 2: Hard, it is, it is hard, and with you being a pioneer in this space, do you ever get permission to be tired because I hear doing it alone, Like yeah, yeah, like time say, Okay, I'm actually tired right now, but you're also a mom.
Speaker 4: Yeah you're doing it all like everything, you really don't.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's I mean, it's been really hard for me what I've been very comfortable realizing lately, and this is just you know, twenty twenty six realization, Jasmine. On no given day will I be one hundred percent my best self for everybody and everything in my life. Like some days my kids aren't gonna get the best Jazmine. Some days my friends ain't gonna get it. My business are my husband like some dady, it's just gonna be like I'm not gonna be one hundred percent perfect every day, but I just need to show up every day and you know, get through the day and try and like be better. But I think at one point you try so hard to like do everything right and like miss everything, you know. I remember one time my daughter was telling my husband like, yeah, I was the last person picked up, like you know, like just like really like I'm saying, He's like, yeah, Journey said she was the last one picked up at day care, like you know, like listen, I was late, like you know, it's Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Traffic, trying to make it happen.
Speaker 1: She got picked up.
Speaker 3: You know, she got picked up at six thirty. I was there at six thirty one, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like I got there, but like she might have been the last one.
Speaker 3: But you know, I wasn't one hundred percent for her that day. You know, I wasn't early. But she got picked up and she had dinner, you know, like and we went through the next day. There was a time when I'd be like, oh, man, like you know what I'm saying, I got to be a better mom. I need to show up more. Like you know, you're telling yourself. The things that we tell ourselves, we have to really watch. And I think that's just real recent realization for me is like listening, Jasmine, you're telling yourself a lot of things that are negative or you're telling yourself you know, I got to keep it positive.
Speaker 4: So I need to be a little bit more positive.
Speaker 3: That's what I need to start telling myself in the car, like you keep it positive because I am like, Okay, maybe I need to shut it down. Maybe it's not gonna work. Why are these you know, and it's like you're gonna have the negative thoughts too, but you have to redirect and that's and sometimes I don't do that, so I need to do better.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for you that you're working on that, you know, because I know, just as women period, we carry a lot and we are harder on ourselves, yes.
Speaker 1: Than anybody else. Yeah, we are, yeah.
Speaker 3: And people are harder on us, you know what I mean. This is like one of those things that the fish rides from the head, like it's coming from somewhere. So like we have a lot to carry. So it's like if everyone's hard on you.
Speaker 4: You're hard on yourself.
Speaker 3: Like when do you get a chance to kind of rest from that? So that's it's a hard thing to do.
Speaker 4: And I'm still.
Speaker 1: Learning, Yeah, very much. No, I feel you on that. I want to ask you.
Speaker 2: We're almost at ten years January January will make ten years. What is something that year one? Jazzmine believes that year ten. Jazzmine does not believe anymore.
Speaker 3: That you know, everybody's on my side, like we're all like a family, and you know, I don't believe that anymore. Like, you know, I really have to watch for the snakes in the grass. And I have to realize that I've let a lot of people unlocked doors off of my keys, you know, off of my intellectual property. And you can't tell everybody your ideas. Yeah, you can't tell everybody.
Speaker 4: Your next move. You can't.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't make a lot of announcements. Now I think you're ten ten years ago. I'm speaking here, I'm doing this. This great thing just happened, like you know. Now, it's like, even though I'm saying a lot, I'm not saying a lot, come on, because you know, I've learned and I've had a lot of let you know, I've had a lot of lessons, so you know, that is a big thing.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I hired friends, I hired family. I mean I did a lot of that. And now those would be things I would say I shouldn't have hired friends, Like you know, I hired like my first business development person was like a friend.
Speaker 4: They didn't know how to develop business.
Speaker 3: And it's like other employees were like saying, like yo, like you got to get some better people around you. But I was like, oh, this is my friend, like you know, like to go together like that, you know, and you can't do that. You got to you got to make everybody go through the application in the interview process, like you know. And I didn't do that a lot. And that's like something that you have to. Everybody's just not your friend, and that really sucks to say. When you're like a people pleaser, you love people and you're in a business of service.
Speaker 4: You just got to watch. You gotta watch.
Speaker 3: So your ting, Jasmine is like guards up a little bit, you know, because I think you've been through the battle. And so now it's like when I go into year ten, so I got to win the war, like you know, I've been through it. So it's like now it's like what do I want to do with this business? How big do I want to see it go? How do I what do I need to do to make those things happen? That's so true to be around me in this phase too, that too, and who doesn't need to be around me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot of that.
Speaker 2: When it comes to wisdom, it comes with learning lessons in life.
Speaker 3: I mean, I grew up with this company, you know, Like I moved to Atlanta. I was like twenty eight twenty nine, Like I was a young one and then started getting into the business. So like, you know, I grew up like building a whole business and all the things that happen in life. You're just you're gonna gain wisdom with time, yes, And I remember, like you know, your parents used to be, like you know, you may be you're not as wise as me, and like you know that that is so true, Like you know, you may be faster, you may be younger, but you're not as wise. And wisdom comes with time and a lot of hard lessons and a lot of hard moments.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are absolutely right about that.
Speaker 2: I think anyone who has had the guts to go into being an entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: Has had to learn that. Yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Hard lessons that come with it, because a lot of times you're learning on the job, you know, and you're figuring it out.
Speaker 4: I read about a year recently.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna read more into this story that like she like one of her friends, she gave her access to her accounts and then she drained the accounts like million dollar business, like a fitness life. It's like a big TikTok story. And then like the business went out of business, like and she was afraid to tell this story because people were.
Speaker 4: Like, what do you mean you gave But it's like if you're.
Speaker 3: Just like building something, you're a DTC consumer like entrepreneur, and you're like, this is my friend, this is my homegirl, Like that's a crazy story. This is recent, like this is out now, Like and she lost multimillion dollar business, million dollars in the account, couldn't pay anybody. And then like it's like trying to like sue the girl. Yeah, but you gave her access to your account.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what can you do. You don't have a dog in the past.
Speaker 3: You don't have any I mean like there are some stories out here, not even just my stories, but just for entrepreneurs period.
Speaker 2: So it's it's tough, Yes, tough, it really is, and you have to for it's one thing that Tyler did. He's talking a lot of things, but when it comes to business, even like making sure that you know where your money's going, like writing the checks, approving everything, like mindingly account until I approve.
Speaker 1: It, I look at the invoices. What is this, said Oprah? Does she saw him that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He always talks open like I asked Oprah, Oprah, Yeah, that's yes, Yeah, he does, but she does that. She says she used to sign even when she had her show, like everyone's check. You know, you probably had she probably had the studio staff of one hundred and fifty two hundred people. You know, Like, but can you just imagine, like you got to do it.
Speaker 1: Because you will wake up and like where's this? Where is that? I'm always asking questions. I look at it.
Speaker 2: I don't just approve the number. I look at the invoice. I'm looking at dates.
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 4: Me and my accountant be texting a much.
Speaker 3: I had sent her. I got an email on July four. It was like boom, Like it's you know, it's a Saturday, she responded, because like, you know, we gotta be having conversations. But you gotta watch your money for sure, because it comes and it goes. It does, and you know there will be days like you know, you'll see one hundred thousand dollars come and then next day you got payroll and voice I mean, and then you're like, oh, it's.
Speaker 4: Like what happens next?
Speaker 3: Like it's just like, you know, it's just a tough thing, and you got to imagine, like just think of like someone like Tyler Perry, like how much he has to see even just like seeing the studio and how big it is, and just like you know, like can you imagine it's like such a it's a production, and it's like and it only God willing. As an entrepreneur, it only gets bigger and it only gets greater. And so it's only more invoices and more things you got to pay for and more. I mean, it comes with it, Yeah, it comes. It's how big do you want to get?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know exactly, Yeah, and understand, I think how you steward over it when it's small, it's going to show you how to stew it over as it gets bigger.
Speaker 3: And I love that you said that because a lot of times I think that's where we have gotten bigger is just being like, you know, my goal in the beginning, it was like a million dollars, a million meals, and so then every time it's bigger than that, you're like, gosh. So finding like gratitude even when it's been really really hard for me and I've had some hard years and some hard times in building the business, Like I just find attitude and like all that we've done. And so sometimes like even if I have to shut down tomorrow. You know, I've done this.
Speaker 1: I've done this.
Speaker 3: I've opened all these grocery stores, I've fed all these people like there's and what I'm learning now is being okay with however it turns out. And I think that's what has gotten in my way before. It is like kind of caring about like what are people going to think?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: But no one knows how hard it is as an entrepreneur. So I.
Speaker 3: Got to shut down because no one knows that. It's like I'm you know, moving money and I'm saving money, like you.
Speaker 1: Know, I'm invessing my own money business.
Speaker 4: I' gonna get out of.
Speaker 1: Another time.
Speaker 4: Yes, I like doing it.
Speaker 1: I mean I shut it down.
Speaker 3: I'm one of those people who open bank accounts that like places that I'm never I'm like there, I'm not even going there, and then I gotta go in there, you know, I just like dang, like I gotta. So It's been a lot that have happened, but I know it'll I know it'll come back to me. And it has so many I mean just all the experiences being able to write a book, being able to you know, have experiences like being here with you, like it never would have happened had and I got started and not kept going.
Speaker 1: For sure kept going? How did your faith carry you through?
Speaker 4: I mean I feel like faith definitely.
Speaker 3: I am often asking God to like order my steps, like whatever it's gonna be, like that's it because and that's I'm like, well, if he can't shut it down today, you know, he must keep going because like that's my my constant prayer is like you know, I and I do wish I could really have like those moments for God is like this what we're gonna do, Like you know, like that's kind of the thing, like make it very very clear. But I definitely just have to like pray and believe. And I always say to myself the one thing I say to myself when I have a lot of hard moments is like, Jasmine, God did not bring you here. He didn't bring you this far to leave you, Like, look how much further you've gone from a million like just look from from that vision, like there's no way that this could be the end of it.
Speaker 2: And you know, times like have you had moments where like you think about just throwing in the towel and then you look at that moment and then you see.
Speaker 1: How far he's brought you from that moment to give it up. Oh yeah. I was like, all right, it's so meny.
Speaker 3: I mean like a lot of times, and I mean, and I always know that it's something that's still gonna come. Like I don't know what it's going to be, but I'm like, cause we're doing we're doing good work. I feel like we're doing the Lord's work, like you know. And I always tell people like, at the end of my life, I didn't get in it to like become a millionaire and make all this money, like that wasn't my goal. I was just already feeding people when I had nothing. So it was more so to like do good, do something good, and like, you know, make a life for it. But I always say, like, at the end of my life, like I really will be able to stay before God and be like, listen, your people were hungry and I fed them, you know, likes come on, yes, futures. Mama one time she told me and Miss Jay she was like, yeah, I know one thing about a baby. You're gonna go to heaven.
Speaker 4: So I know that.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that. I want to get into your book.
Speaker 2: You are now an author, and I want to know what inspired you to write this book, and let's talk about that process.
Speaker 3: You know, I gave my first TED talk in twenty nineteen, and so at that point, like a lot of people were reaching out about like, you know, would you want to turn it into a book. But I didn't have a lot of lessons yet, like you know, I had at that point only been in business for two years. So fast forward to twenty twenty four, the opportunity to presented itself again, and I was like you know what, yeah, like three was so hard that twenty twenty four I was like, yeah, I got something to write about.
Speaker 4: I have something to talk about.
Speaker 3: And I started kind of laying, like, you know, my favorite chapter in the book is about failure, and it talks about feeling a lot like not not.
Speaker 4: Once, because you don't feel once. You fell often like you feel.
Speaker 3: I mean there's days at our store, like you know what, we felt like a customer, I'm gonna go leave a bad review on you, you know, it's like, well, sorry, you had a bad experience, like you know, like you know that happens, So that's a failure, right if they don't have a good experience that's a failure on your business on that day. Like you know, you try, but you could have done things better. So I think just the experiences that I had had felt like I was really like a thought leader in this space and just all that I was realizing and all that I was seeing. So I think that's what made me want to write it and really just to inspire and so not so much if everyone will go out and feed somebody, but if you have an idea.
Speaker 4: Could you go after it?
Speaker 3: Because I was I would probably have a million dollars in the bank if I had a dollar for everyone who was like I thought about that. I think, you know, I used to wonder what was happening in the food and I thought about I mean, just so many.
Speaker 4: People I thought about doing a deli like that. I mean just all of that and the only difference that's it. It's just the execution.
Speaker 3: And that's the biggest difference between the successful people and the people that it's just who's executing on it every single day and just to like give people those tips has been and just I mean writing the book, there is like so many stories that I was just like, whoa like this has been? I'm going to actually when this is all said and done, that's the book. Next is going to be Like the screenplayers, I got to figure out a way to like write this is like an insecure tech person because like I was living life building this business and a lot was happening, like just a lot of crazy stories. So you know, I just needed to put it on paper and like get it out there. And now it'll be there for forever, and I think that's pretty cool even if companies not there. Like the story of how I built this company and where it came from is there, and I'll always be able to like turn to it and like you know, point to it and teach about it one day.
Speaker 1: And it can become other things like a show Like I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it really should be because it's just I mean, people just want to believe it, and you I think now we're hearing more stories of people opening up about how hard it's been on entrepreneur and journeys, like I think of like Ami Kole who like shut down her makeup brand, or like, you know, people are talking about these things now where a lot of times it was like very taboo. I have a lot of frin I'm in a group of women founders, like all black women, who have raised over a million dollars. I think there's like two hundred of us. So a new website just came out like archiving us as we raised capital.
Speaker 4: And so we're in this group called Visible Figures.
Speaker 3: And it's been a lot of companies who were shut down, like people are like I'm shutting down, We're getting acquired, we're doing I mean, it's just a lot of it. But we don't often talk about our failures out loud. And this is like me talking about like, hey, this is what I got right, this is what I'm working on, this is what I got wrong, and this is what I now.
Speaker 4: It's your turn to go.
Speaker 3: Out and like, you know, learn from my mistakes. But if you have a vision for something, you know, it's really up to you to execute on it. That's the big purpose of the book is like the idea is nothing without action. Yeah, you know it's not. I mean I was sitting down drawing. I was in a hackathumb but as a team of one, like you know, literally, yes, like it's just gonna be me. That's where Shelley met me. I was one and Shelley can attested that I walked in there, I'm like, is this your team?
Speaker 4: It's me, Like, this is it?
Speaker 3: The idea is just it is about to be just jazzmine and this is you know, I'm getting up, I'm pitching and I'm talking about this vision and how it was going to work and going and you know, picking up food myself. I used to have like a Hynde Sonata and it smelled so bad because I had picked up so much food, dropped them and spilled black beans and just like all this stuff, like black beans smell really bad after a day or two, like it smells like death. You know, that car when it was done, it was smelling like food at all times. And so so I did it all like I was the one going out and picking up the food and trying to do all of the things. And if I could do it, you know, I don't come from money. I don't come from I didn't have like someone write me a check, just go out and test this out. And even though the investment piece, which I talk about a lot in the book, was a big source of kind of contention for me, right because I wanted to feed people, investors wanted me to make money. And I believe that we could do both. I cherish people that put money into my vision, and so a lot of times I had like conflicting, like, well, maybe I do do this, maybe I can cut costs by giving people this or like, and it was like I just kept going back to like, I have to give people choices, like it has to happen, and then I don't know how it's going to happen every single month, but ultimately it has to happen. And so it's I think it'll be a really good book for entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: Across the bar And where can we find this book?
Speaker 4: Everywhere? So it's on Amazon now.
Speaker 3: So it officially comes out on July twenty first of twenty twenty six, but you can pre order it Barnes and Noble, all the places, Black bookstores, please support.
Speaker 4: And I'm just really grateful for it Just looks so good.
Speaker 3: It's so good, Like the little eggs are matching your dress, it's like all the curtain, it's like all it.
Speaker 4: Was, it was, it was so divine.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are proud of you and all the work that you have done, not just for this city, but the impact that you're making worldwide. I'm very proud of you and inspired as well. Yes, is there anything else that our audience can do to support you?
Speaker 1: Where can we follow you?
Speaker 3: Letts please, guys, I'm Jasmine Crow on everything Instagram threads.
Speaker 1: I'm really I heard your threads.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and then my company Gooder is Good or co on everything and we would just love for you guys to support us. If you're ever in Atlanta. We have a deli, a grocery store on Edgewood near the historic King Center, and we just want to feed people. We want to feed you and we want to be able to like go to other cities n team markets now, but we should be everywhere. There's nowhere they're good or shouldn't be like we're trying to feed people and feed people good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's love where it came from, Jasmine. Thank you so much. I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation. Yes, so I can't wait. I'm glad you got the book right on times. I'm so excited. Thank you guys, Thank you, Jasmine.
Speaker 2: Thank you for reminding us that purpose isn't just about having a great idea. It's about having the courage to keep saying yes even when the assignment gets Heavy. Congratulations on your new book, Feeding Hope, and thank you for continuing to serve communities with both compassion and action, and thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: If this conversation encouraged you, please.
Speaker 2: Share with someone who is discovering or rediscovering their purpose.
Speaker 1: And don't forget to join the Sweetish Social Club. We are now open.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram at Sweetie Social Club for everything that we have going on in the meantime in between time, y'all already know what to do.
Speaker 1: Keep positive.
Speaker 2: Sweeties, get the book, don't get it