Speaker 1: I've never actually had a jelly roll. It's one more thing?
Speaker 2: Or have I you've never had a jelly roll?
Speaker 1: Is that that it's like cake that's in a spiral around?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah yeah, I probably have had.
Speaker 3: Much jelly like substance in it. Yeah yeah, probably not the best for you.
Speaker 1: Oh lord, No, No, just pure sugar boy and I eat like a hog over the weekend. It is a good weekend.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been disciplined this year, really really really good so far one twelve of the way through.
Speaker 2: Yes, Katie, Oh no, I was looking at you like, have you that's neat.
Speaker 3: Beating like a pregnant person.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, come on me too. But there's the r.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So jelly rolled a musician. I don't know very much about him, but I know I know another radio show friend of ours that had him on many, many times and say his story is just amazing role as a guy who got off track and drugs and jail and crimes and all this sort of stuff. Cats obviously lots of face tats. Found God, lost weight.
Speaker 2: Became third of the size he used to be right now.
Speaker 3: Found God and lost weight related, I think Found God became famous, saw himself on TV lost weight.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it, I don't know, or.
Speaker 3: Just coincidentally these drugs came along at the same time that he got famous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, it's just reading about the g LP ones. You got a year and you will gain it all.
Speaker 2: Back even if you stay on them.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, I'm sorry obviously, yeah, if you get off of them.
Speaker 2: See, I just assumed you had to stay on them.
Speaker 3: The way weight loss works, there's never gonna be a thing. There's never gonna be a thing unless it, like you know, as crisper technology, redoes your your genes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well, anyway, where were we? I s Jelly role.
Speaker 1: So we talked to some about the Grammy Show during the radio show, partly because there were so many obnoxious political statements from the soft headed music types, and why don't we feature a couple of those? You want to go with the infamous Billie Eilish.
Speaker 2: First, no one is illegal on stolen land.
Speaker 1: And rapturous applause to that communist style, maoist style slogan. Oh you cut off the end.
Speaker 2: Good for you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you wanted a whole thing. Well, I do not accept your apology. Let's hear Kailani, whoever that is.
Speaker 4: Everybody is so powerful in this room and in this room later and together we're stronger in numbers to speak against all the injustice going on in the world right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So instead of letting it be just a couple of you here and there, I hope everybody is inspired to join together as a community of artists and speak out against what's going on. And I'm gonna leave this and say, ice, God, dang it.
Speaker 2: All this you are they all fifteen years old? Art is so overrated by the artists.
Speaker 3: Like art, I like literature, I like music, I like painting, I like this, but it's so overrated by the artists themselves. And the impact you're having on society, you're just not.
Speaker 2: Just not right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I suppose it makes it easier to, you know, do your thing if you think you're really taking on various social injustices as opposed to And I was born with this genetic ability to play the guitar or the piano, and I practiced a lot. I came up with some words and people kind of like it, and I made some money without having to get a real job.
Speaker 1: I wonder if this is the sort of thing that's well, obviously he got to heap and helping of it, maybe more than anybody ever. But that made Bob Dylan say, would you stop it. I'm a guitar player. He might be a voice of anything.
Speaker 2: That might be why Bob Dylan is the way he is.
Speaker 3: He's like one of the few artists who fully recognizes his impact.
Speaker 1: Right and like he's embarrassed by the ridiculous accolade. Yes, yeah, yeah, I'll bet that's it. I'll bet he's of the genetic predisposition that all of us happen to be or learned.
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's like, it's embarrassing, it's just.
Speaker 3: Oh so the Billie Eilish thing that got the most attention that we played No No One is Legal on Stolen Land, I just saw it. I'd only heard it because I only watched the musical stuff.
Speaker 2: During the Grammys. I don't watch the actual awards.
Speaker 3: The thing at the end was pretty cool they did in Ouzzie Osbourne song you had some of the guns and roses dudes up there and everything.
Speaker 2: I thought that was cool.
Speaker 3: But uh so, Billy Eilish says, the No One's first I'd just like to say no one is I legal on stolen land in the crowd, sheees like crazy and like two thirds of the people stand up and they go to I think Sabrina Carpenter, one of your super hot young blonde women with big blue Disney eyes that looked like the and a creation, and she's got just her eyes are welling up with tears and she has this look of awe in her face. That Billie Eilish said this in front of a crowd of people that are also unrealistic and agree with you, And it's like, oh, how dumb are you?
Speaker 2: People? You're just so dumb, like low uninformed or low IQ.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is, but you said that's such a dumb freaking statement. If you want to get up there and say I think Ice is going way too far and we should not be whatever, that that perfectly valid.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you say it at a music show, but at least you can. You've got it, are you?
Speaker 3: But the whole no one's illegal unstolen land thing is just for five year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't embarrass yourself. I'm embarrassed for you. Yeah, it's childlike.
Speaker 1: Eh, that's unbelievable. And the cheering, Ah, yeah, what was I gonna say?
Speaker 2: That's something pumped in my hand.
Speaker 3: And like I, like I have said several times, I can't believe that somebody at a high level with some ravatas like Quincy Jones is dead now. But back in the day, somebody high level in the music industry couldn't say. Look, I've been in music my whole life. I love music. We all love music. But this whole thing we've created is getting smaller and less revenue as we talk more and more about politics. I care about making music and crafting melodies, and so do you. How about if we stick with that, then we won't eliminate half the country that now hates our guts and maybe throw.
Speaker 1: In a little bit, for instance, this issue. You've heard this over and over again. Has anybody ever brought that up to you? You know, there are plenty of really smart people who believe this, And if you don't, you're not even aware of that argument, are you? You haven't even considered it, much less decided that it's a worse argument than the argument you made. So you're really out of your depth. You're nice folks, you're gifted musicians, but you're kind of making a fool year.
Speaker 3: So I was just thinking, just appeal to their greed. We could all make so much more money. We've cut off half of our potential market, like coming out here and saying all these political things. Why would we want to do that. I want to sell records. You want to sell records, right right?
Speaker 1: Ah. So which brings us to Jelly Roll, who was asked by a reporter after the awards, Well, I think it's it's all set up here.
Speaker 3: Would you be willing to comment on what's going on in our country right now?
Speaker 4: I don't really, So this is the truth, and I'm glad somebody asked because I love talking about this stuff when people care to hear my opinion. But so I can tell you that people shouldn't care to hear my opinion. Man, you know, I'm a dumb redneck. I haven't watched enough. I didn't have a phone for eighteen months. I've had one for four months and don't have social media. I hate to be the artist is static aloof but I just I've come so disconnected from what's happening, and I'm just not a I grew up in a house of like insane pandemonium and like like I didn't even know politics were real until I was in my mid twenties in jail. Like that's how disc can when you grow up in a drug addict household. Do you think we like have common calls about what's happening in world politics? Like we're just trying to find a way to survive. Man, you know.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Yeah, he's like I said, I've been told by people who've interviewed him that he's a fascinating story and could be you know, his big A deal. I don't know, I might even already have a book out, but his big A deal like just talking to various communities as anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, huh yeah, I get that these people feel something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think it comes down to that the great divide of people who they are governed by their emotions and those who have their emotions. As one of the tools in the toolkit and the comparison I always come up with is, you know, and you can pick whatever issue.
Speaker 2: You know, we've got to do something that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but the proposal you've you know, come up with that that would actually make it worse. Yeah, but we've got to do something and just that emotion. I'm feeling this emotion that we should do something, and I just and I don't want to hear what you're saying because I'm feeling this and I trust my feelings and you're messing with my feelings and all I'm like, yeah, it's it's a pisser, ain't it. But we you know that won't work.
Speaker 3: That's what I would have said if I went on after Yeah, Billie Eilish last night, it's a pisser, isn't it.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so she dressed as a teenage girl who isn't used to having breasts yet for a while, and she wanted sex kit in for a minute. Now. It's apparently some sort of quasi Pilgrim look or something puritan. I don't dressed.
Speaker 3: I was gonna grab the audio for the show, but I didn't. So there was an awards show. I think it was the Emmys back in the ninety and uh uh, you can find it on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I've watched it before. It's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: So Norm MacDonald is a presenter presenter and he comes out with a guy in full Indian outfit.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen this?
Speaker 3: In the big Giant long head dress and everything like that. And Norm McDonald comes to the microphone. He says, I'd like to turn my time over to Chief Running Bear. And Chief Running Bear comes to the microphone and says, you're on land stolen from my people. You raped our women, you murdered our braves. And they go to the crowd and like John Stewart and John Oliver and all these people are just dying laughing. Wow, this really dry bit that Norm McDonald's doing about them being on the land that belonged to this Indian and he's talking about raping the women and everything like that. She was in the nineties and now you fast forward a few years and that's not a hilariously dry, avant garde Andy Kaufman type bit. You just say it with a straight face and everybody cheers. Isn't that interesting that it changed that much in a couple of decads. It's from Obviously this would be hilarious to say this, because it's ridiculous to take it completely seriously.
Speaker 1: I blame the Internet.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 1: The Internet?
Speaker 2: Billy I was going with some sort of sexy pilgrim thing. I don't know what is that? Oh, try that.
Speaker 1: I want you to put on these buckled shoes.
Speaker 2: What I'm close. Say something about Thanksgiving, Call me thou or refer to me as thou.
Speaker 1: Would you, Why just just do it, just go with it.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it, thankfully,