Speaker 1: Welcome back Summer League twenty twenty three. Man, we got a guest today. They had to wait forty five minutes for his dry cleaning, so we.
Speaker 2: Started out, who care we did it now, But I want to welcome to this show. Man.
Speaker 1: I got a chance to see this this man grow. He was a couple of years younger for me, but out in LA I was at UCLA. He was in high school, always making waves. Came up to UCLA one day and I said, oh, he's not going to college. This kid's going to the pros. Welcome to the show, Tyson, chandlin Man, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for some time.
Speaker 1: So y'all played together. Yeah, what was that like Charlotte?
Speaker 2: Yeah for me, for me it was great because I mean it was a chance for me to come into a leader role on the Charlotte team. I got traded there, you know, doing them doing the course of the season. But I think for all of us, we were guys that were still had bounced around a little bit, but we all had the same kind of like common goal. We all went hard. So we was able to get to the playoffs for the first time. It shot it together and have the number one defense in the league. Can't too many people say that. Very nice, very nice. Well current day.
Speaker 1: You joined the MAVs player development staff in twenty twenty one, working alongside God Sham God, you know obviously Jay Kidd, our guy Jared Dudley. What has that experience been like on the coaching side.
Speaker 3: Now, it's been great. It's a learning lesson. It's definitely an adjustment, you know, from playing and then learning how to like articulate your thoughts and things that you know, you learned along the years that came naturally, like trying to explain it to somebody, you know. So it's fun. It keeps me involved with the game. I honestly thought when I was done, I was like, hang them up, I'm out it right, And then, you know, I did that for a little while, but then I started to miss the game. I start to miss just being around guys, you know, in the camaraderie. Uh So, when j Kid got the job, hit me up and was like, listen, come on, I need you just just getting the building. That's dope.
Speaker 2: You was the anchor of the championship squad, come fuck with us.
Speaker 1: So did you ever see yourself coaching like I've been offered a couple of situations too. I just never saw myself in it. Have you did you see yourself possibly one day?
Speaker 2: No, no, not.
Speaker 4: At all, not at all.
Speaker 3: You know it and even you know when yourself was like, just let me come in, just get a feel and see what this says. You know, coaching is a dedication. They spend a lot of hours, like you know, more than more than any players turning off as players, Like you know, they're constantly working on the next thing, film, you know, breaking down things.
Speaker 4: It's just it's twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us a little bit about Derek Lively? You guys took him twelve overall all, what have you liked so far about him? He's active, very athletic, young kid. Reminds me of myself a lot.
Speaker 3: Like reminds me of the funny thing Jason when he uh I came to the gym the day after he had the workout pre draft workout and Jak was like, man, I wish you the king yesterday. He was like, there's a kid that they were thinking about taking. That reminds me a lot of like you. He's like and not just because he likes skin, but I started busting him. He's like, he got a lot of the same attributes and uh. And then so as the draft was coming along, then I watched a little bit of tape and I'm like, oh, they get this kid, It'll give me something.
Speaker 4: To do, like a real a project to work on.
Speaker 3: So I'm watching the draft and that's that draft is unfold and I'm like, they're gonna take this kid. And then they take him.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then you know, I get to meet him and stuff, and he's a great, great dude. They definitely definitely needed. That's that's always been the missing key for the match, you know. And so I'm trying to get him right. He wants to learn active, you know, and right now you know he's sponge, So that's dope.
Speaker 2: What are the expectations looking like?
Speaker 1: Obviously, you guys moved a lot to get Kyrie. You were able to resign Curry which was a huge move. Also picked up Grant Williams that was big, huge piece and seth Curry on top of that. You know obviously have Lively as well. So you know, what are expectations for this team this year? I mean, you guys, are you know, Luca arguably one of the greatest players in the world.
Speaker 2: Got Kai back.
Speaker 1: You guys have put some new pieces around on the defensive side as well, So I.
Speaker 3: Think the unit is like way more balanced now and I think they got a shot to be in the mix now.
Speaker 4: Like you said, Williams is a huge piece because you need.
Speaker 3: That type of good guy, come with that type of energy, real professional. Kai and Luca are two of the most talented players that you know on this planet. So just I love the pieces that they put around them because that's what they that's what they were missing last year. You got to have those pieces that bring together team, and so you know they have those, but I got to see you know how.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go back to the upbringing. Compton. Where exactly did you grow up?
Speaker 3: I actually was in Hamford, then sam Malandino, then Compton.
Speaker 4: What's Hamford?
Speaker 3: Hamford, California is like a farm in town I grew up on like a farm.
Speaker 5: I would never expect that everybody.
Speaker 2: Like, especially because Tans have that curl to.
Speaker 1: L a curling him, you lose, you lose.
Speaker 4: Jason Thomas, the cold curl lose slow. I came front used to get a little you know.
Speaker 1: Not christ like wavy though Yeah, my ship didn't get I didn't do Curly until like a couple of years in and then it changed my trajectory of my family show.
Speaker 4: Yeah what one girl.
Speaker 3: But it was I feel like I had a great upbringing that made me, you know, made me who I am, uh, you know, made me tough, you know, and then going uh you know, being and Compton, uh and you know playing there and uh, you know, representing you you have to. So it was it was a great time. You know, had a lot of lives. You went through a lot though.
Speaker 2: Sophomore year, junior year, you were crash on your homeless couch, homeless basically homeless. Talk about being able to deal with that as a youngster, but also you know, understanding where you wanted to go and not get caught up and everything around us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I know how hard that is. Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, during that time, Uh yeah, my junior year, I was sleeping on college is and uh a sophomore I think sophomore jinior and yeah, I was just trying to stay locked in on like where I know I was trying to get uh because you're right, you're getting pulled and everything. And there's plenty of cases where my life could have really turned different because I was in different places, Like for things was going down and like my life could have went in a different direction. But I thank God, you know, always like stay in the right direction. And even those around me, you know, always understood where I was at, you know, And I appreciate them too because you know, they always made sure I was on the right path. So anything that was ever going down or whatever, they're like, yo.
Speaker 4: You need to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that you know, I still got love for that today. Yeah. Comptent, legendary, legendary, I know all about them.
Speaker 2: How was the hoops saying to talk about coming up, you know in that era because basketball was high school basketball was different when we was coming up.
Speaker 4: I'm saying Comptent to Megas is one of those schools.
Speaker 2: Talk about that experience of you know, growing up with comptent and playing with competent Megaz with all those school legends that you play with.
Speaker 3: I think the the difference back then is like it was like myths, Like anytime you heard about a player, I heard about the school you it was talking. It was no like YouTube or something like that. A chance to see the build it up, you know, in your head or whatever. And so for us, we built that up too because we know everybody felt about us. So I mean we walk in the gyms, we walk in hoodie deep.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like like we're gonna We're gonna win either to fight or the game.
Speaker 4: So what is gonna be?
Speaker 3: And we came in with that type of mentality and uh, I mean it was a hell of an era.
Speaker 2: Tommy Prince, Jason Thomas term. Yeah, the most dropped name ever was all the smoke term turn. But what was talking about? We gotta got this our term segment?
Speaker 4: What was term? Game like? Turn?
Speaker 3: Terms nice? Nice point guard? Like your term is gritty.
Speaker 1: I call him ten day term now because you swear the Lakers go.
Speaker 2: But he's doing more gang banging in the video and they're playing.
Speaker 1: Basketball, Like he can't just cuss everybody. He cuss when he make a shot.
Speaker 2: Time will come back and play pickups and start fights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't call here no more.
Speaker 3: We get somebody new from another income term banging up.
Speaker 1: This is our team, turn right, This is our team, our team messing, our team graduated four years ago.
Speaker 3: But it was I mean, you know, Tay like you said Jason Thomas. I got a chance to watch I didn't play with Kenny art team, but I got a chance to watch him before I came in, and that's really what made me want to go there.
Speaker 4: You know, the culture there.
Speaker 3: T was like the most clean cut out of them all, and he kind of like, you know, set the tone of how to get to the McDonald's, all American, how to all of that. So I knew that I wanted to go to the league from high school. Yeah, from high school, So I knew whatever Tay did, like he was, he was like at the top of the top and going to college was like whatever he did, I got a count of surpassed nothing. So he said, like a great bar for me.
Speaker 1: You had like a legendary was it junior high or freshman year? Like a sixty minute interview?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about that because there was talks. I mean obviously it was talks. But you going to the league at it was it freshman year out of high school?
Speaker 4: Give me ahead?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, y'all doing sixty minutes was on Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 6: I'm like I should have damn.
Speaker 1: It's good talk to us about what you know. Obviously, what that was like, and then you know that's that that's a huge platform at it early.
Speaker 3: Was honestly, I didn't. I did not know what I was like actually doing. They said sixty minutes, I wanted to do a piece. I just thought it was like a news channel. I didn't realize the magnitude of what it was going to do, because after that, I was like, I got I got a target on my back. Different, it's different, like you know, especially like they put that target on, labeling you that dude. Everybody's shooting for you now. And I didn't I didn't realize that I was. At first, it was so exciting having cameras following me and stuff. I was like, oh yeah, like you know, I'm that dude, and the until you got to be that dude, and then I was like almost embarrassed by and like embarrassed ball and not aloriety that was coming to the kid. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So it's like I'm battling all of these things at the time, and you know how it is where you know, in the in the hook game, where you got all of the voters and everybody that's around that, you know, see where you're going and everybody trying to have a you know, a piece or be the person to direct you and this and that. But after that, it's like, yeah, it opened my name up to the world. So everybody figured I was the next one. So then it was like I had to deal with more than I was already dealing with.
Speaker 2: David Hamilton aka Supercrypt talk about Supercrypt. I got a story about Supercrypt.
Speaker 3: He talked about him, so so my uh so again, so I'm coming to high school.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't know. I didn't know who super Crip was. I didn't know nothing about h I'm playing against him and he was a big athletic dude, right and we're going, we're going at it or whatever.
Speaker 4: Like he hit me hard. I hit him hard.
Speaker 3: Uh I want to say, like he put he put his uh elbow or something like that and was like, don't move it. I'm like what, So I hit it down and then were playing. So then I come to then after the game, coach was like, see I like that resting the pumps.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: He's like you didn't. He's like, you didn't back down from Supercrip at all. I was like, who I'm like, who is like this the dude like you know what you knowing from?
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, what a name?
Speaker 3: Like super Crip already know what he knows what he's about. And after that, the funny thing he came up was like hey, I got respect for you, and they like dap me up and all that and it's but it's funniest. I had no cluf. That was cool as hell the whole time.
Speaker 1: So we played in the he was my age, so two years older than you. Yes, So we played in the Magic Johnson Round ball game and this dude got shot. I don't know if it was a day before, but maybe two days before.
Speaker 3: A couple of days before he got shot. I want to say it was like the game was like a Friday or Saturday. Got shot that Tuesday and Wednesday and played in the game. Yeah shot where though, yeah late man.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Man reason, ye know so so, but he was nice to He went to Auburn for a minute. I just started falling him on Instagram. I found that maybe a couple of months ago and started following this good Yeah I d m it real quick.
Speaker 2: But he's still no I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah he might have let that rest. But yeah, shout out David Hamilton, Man, dude, real good dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, so you say you end going straight to the pole.
Speaker 2: You say KG was your idel growing up, But do you know KG get a lot of his swag from J Max McCoy. He was the original get that ship out of here no rebounds.
Speaker 3: Already know, I know, I just didn't know that story. Yeah, players, man, He's the reason why I dunk the way I don't. Yeah, yeah, exactly, exactly exactly. I've seen old highlights of him, like when I because when I similar. Yeah, yeah, so you got like you know, you always find similar people and then especially wh they're doing it at a high level and you try to model it pieces every light skin.
Speaker 4: I guess we athletics.
Speaker 2: Talk talk about idolizing KG though, like KG is a part of our family. We all know, you know, one of the one of the Hall of Famers, one of the best power for us ever played the game.
Speaker 4: How did he motivate you? What did you idolize about KG?
Speaker 3: Just respected the way he approached the game, his intensity. I love the way he played the game, always admired and just like that's what I tried to pattern after because I felt like he never he never cut the game short, like you know, no matter what, like he Caane showed up and whenever I played against when I got to the league, he still didn't disappoint like he brought it every single night, you know. And that's what I've always respected about them, respect to this day, and I respect players like that that I felt like really pushed the needle or the game like he's one of them players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think going out of high school come back into time zone.
Speaker 3: I hope so, especially now with all of the rule changes, you know now that that athletes are making money, making money in school out to me and giving other opportunities not just it's not just you either got to go to college or you know, when he took it away, it was either overseas or.
Speaker 4: Won and done.
Speaker 3: You know, I hope they give our athletes because also we're starting to get passed up right by the Europeans. Yeah, if they don't do something like it's gonna be a European I know they want a world game, right, which is great, but we need to allow our athletes the same type of platform and the same opportunities that they're allowing to you know across the world.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and it never makes sense to us.
Speaker 2: You can go to war at eighteen, but you can't take care of your family, team player, sport.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. That don't make me dumb.
Speaker 3: Ship and to be to even try to take away, you know, opportunity to be able to provide for your family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah in its own right, just just that it's crazy. You know what that is crazy because you can go work in McDonald's, yeah, but you can't.
Speaker 4: Go to anyway right, Ye don't make sense.
Speaker 1: You know what Kelsey said, who was in that room for representation right there talking about to ship?
Speaker 4: But who?
Speaker 2: But who mostly benefits from kids coming out of high school us?
Speaker 4: Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So anything to negate from getting the head, they're gonna fuck with it.
Speaker 4: Bastards.
Speaker 2: Uh Kobe any Kobe stores Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So during the during the Olympics, I want you, I know you got a story for me and Charlotte too, so I.
Speaker 3: Probably crazy stories. So we're at the uh, we're at the Olympics and we're going uh. I would always uh me and kobd like sitting next to each telling the bus. So we're getting off and we're going in the Olympic village or whatever they had like uh, they had something for us to do there or whatever. And then so we're going and then it's like uh and Kobe was like, I mean the Star of Stars Like he was like that, dude. I mean, you know, it's the US A team and it's built through stars. And but Kobe was at a different level no matter where we went, like literally, I never seen anything like that. And so so but we're going, we go into the Olympic village and then there's all these athletes walking around or whatever, and so we're walking around for a while. We might be there for I don't know, thirty four five minutes. Cope was like, man, he's sitting there and he's like getting quiet and getting fidgety and Nancy and I'm like, I was like call him. Kill was like, what's up, Killer, what's up with you? He's like, man, I got to get out of here.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I was like what He was like, I can't be all these these fucking athletes come my fucking blood bowling. I don't want these motherfuckers around me. Until I got to see.
Speaker 2: Him, I was like it was supposed to be like a whole like you know, festival thing or everybody's in there said. I was like, bro, I don't know where you're at right now till the festival, man like, cause.
Speaker 4: Was always go mode. Always.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, I'm like they're coming up asking for autographs and pictures and all the love.
Speaker 4: I don't fuck the athletes.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's why I love him exactly, That's why we love him. Killing It was like because he was, oh, yeah, to be so great with that attitude, Bro, that's why we love man.
Speaker 3: And this is like this was at the end, close to the end, and he still was like that.
Speaker 2: Pre draft process, how many teams did you work out for? I think I worked out for like six or seven. Where did you think you were going? I thought I was.
Speaker 3: Originally I had me slided to Golden State, and then after I worked out for the Clippers, they had the number two pick. I thought I was going to the Clippers, so I was hyped about it. Back man, I'm gonna be at the crib. I'might going from do Mingus to the Clippers. And then they had d Miles.
Speaker 4: Had that young team. I was like, we're about to be exciting.
Speaker 3: Like we're about to, you know, turn the city upside down. I was hyped by that. And then you know, to get traded, uh, to get traded during the draft and then after go to Chicago.
Speaker 4: I was sick at first.
Speaker 1: So they first and that you go number two, after Kwame Brown goes one to Washington, you go to to the Clippers.
Speaker 2: What's that initial?
Speaker 1: Tyson Chandler Los Angeles Clipper, what's that feeling like for you and your family?
Speaker 3: Man lived that part, man, I thought I was gonna like pass out, honestly likes because the Clippers told me they were gonna take me. So after my workout, they were like, what you want there at too? That's what I wanted. It was like if you had too we were taking. I was like, oh, hey, I'm thinking I don't need to work out for nobody else then no, I'll work out, you know.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: So then like David Stern is up there and I'm like, I'm holding if you watch the find like, I'm like you can see me like gasps and like put my head down. Like after he said my name, because I was holding my breath and he said my name, I was like like thank God. And you know It's like it's that's a real feeling of you know, we've all watched this, you know, like your entire youth upbringing. You watch all the draft, you see all the new talent coming in, and you wish it. You you play it out in your head, you dream it. So then to be up on the stage and shaking David Stern hand was just surreal, like you're looking out in the crowd now like I always see this from my TV.
Speaker 4: This is what it looks like a minute now, Yeah, like, damn, this is what it is.
Speaker 3: So I feel like every one of those moments that I was able to accomplish in the league, it's like that was it, Like same thing when I want a chip. It was like getting on the stage was like, oh shit, this is what all them is always saying like this is what it is from because you watch it from TV, you tell you able to experience it. So when every experience is just like out of body.
Speaker 2: Experience, so your heart drops. You get traded to Chicago said you felt sick for a little bit, but you're there with a young Eddie Curry. You guys are labeled the next Twin Towers. How good was Eddie man. Eddie was good as shit.
Speaker 3: Eddie, Like people don't understand Eddie was very talented, big and strong man. Eddie was that big and could do a backflip.
Speaker 2: Like it was like draft the year before.
Speaker 3: SA Chicago had the fourth pick and then they traded Elton Brand for you for me and swapped with the clip. That's how it ended up in cookies like swapped to our second pick or whatever. And me and Eddie didn't like each other for no reason except for on someone who's just being pitted against each other and ranked and da da da day. So I remember when I got there, we had the most awkward like like uh pre.
Speaker 4: Uh press conference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we in in the training room and like I'm here, he might be like six feet away from me, and neither one of us are looking at each other. We're just like like eminent man, like exactly.
Speaker 2: And then and then we're gonna do the interview or whatever, and then we come out.
Speaker 3: We still didn't. It's just like we're just like hey, you know, like I'll see you in a week or so. We had training camp and then once we start like being around in each other more and meet each other's families, like like I fell in love with dude. A great dude, great heart. But I mean he was a beast, like a BA soft touch, shoot the ball, like heft toes like three hundred and something pounds. It was like it was, it was. It was crazy how talented he was. He probably was the most talented player in our draft, to be honest, like, just coming in.
Speaker 2: Who are some of your vets?
Speaker 1: You leaned on early on in Chicago, Big oak Big He slap anybody in front of.
Speaker 3: You, absolutely several people, several people, and he would be always make me man. He he was like wrong or call me young fella. I didn't know what he was doing, like, I'm just I got to do everything, OK. And he called and smacked somebody like I'm like I want to be behind, Like I'm not involved with any of this.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the hell he said. I'm sorry like for whatever he's like. But I was like, OK, maybe roll with him.
Speaker 3: I love oak Man was like the best vet man, the best vet. Well, yeah, he would rough me up too, like yeah, we'd be like because I remember we were in we were in and We're in film and I'm sitting in the front and he would always talk to you, to me and Eddie like all the time. He's always had something to say. He would make he would make me and Eddie like the TV is right here.
Speaker 4: He would make us sit right there, get closer to.
Speaker 2: The niggas just a bully.
Speaker 5: Still like that.
Speaker 3: I remember, Uh he was like, uh he said something in film like uh. He was like something, I'm smack you too or something. I was like, you're not gonna just smack and I was like, you might win, but you ain't gonna smack me without a fight.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And he was like all right, all right, well all right, and uh so the car was the coach And as soon as I said that car.
Speaker 4: Was like, all right, film's over, I was like, you don't want to make.
Speaker 3: Because he wanted man, so everybody, uh walk out him.
Speaker 1: Like it's like after school fight in high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: No, he waited, Yeah, you gotta walk outside the stairs like we're in the film room, and uh you had to walk up to.
Speaker 3: The stairs or whatever. And then we get up to the stairs and then we just started tussling and I'm trying to he's strong ship. We follow rolling back and forth. He tossed me, I'll come back into the training room back cut up was like what happened? I was like me and Oaku's wrestling and then going to practice, well was crazy.
Speaker 4: He was gone.
Speaker 2: He was when he came when he squat up on Joe Wallace, I think he was gone already.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, yeah yeah yeah. I heard about that. I heard about he.
Speaker 2: Was a coach, that he was a coach. Did he was a coach, but he was like but with but with me eighty and like it was on some like it was big brother.
Speaker 3: It was like like and I'm telling the story, like just like that Oakre was like my big brother.
Speaker 2: He was, and he got into it with Joe because he was you know, they were trying to change the vibe him and coach Slas. Yeah, just just trying to change the mold of the team to you know, get to like a winning aspect. And guys used to have towers on the head, right, So yeah, Jerald always like that tripping Jay. Jared Wallis put the tie on his next because he had long dreads and he didn't want to sweat no the right so he told him for the game, like we're not doing none of that. We gonna look professional so Jerild did it. You know Gerard franchise playing. He yan't get off Jail next Jigga's house and throw it at like we ain't doing that.
Speaker 4: I told you ain't doing that.
Speaker 2: So you know, Jero, they gambled together all the time, so Jail like, nah, put it back on. I'm gonna see you at the game. And I told you not to do it. All right, remember that one two, three Bobcats coaches walk out. All you see is oh, bigger you turn right back in front of Jail Wallers. Now didn't I say, I was gonna slap you, still right in front of and Jeriel didn't get up. He's standing.
Speaker 4: I had to. I stood.
Speaker 2: I say, oh, you are a coach now you can. Please don't slap Jeril Wallers. Please don't do it.
Speaker 4: You know, Joe, don't get up and fight. But oh you're a coach now you can't. He's looking at me.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, I'm just I ain't never begged nobody like I begged him not.
Speaker 4: To slap Jim water him.
Speaker 2: I say, please, dog, just you a coach now you can't do it. But oh minute though Paul Silas jacked up Tyres Thomas put hands on him. Did he rest in peace? O? G. Tyres got slick with him on the bench, you know what I'm saying. He came back in the locker, he was talking and Tyren's still going so he just ran up on tires and kind of.
Speaker 4: Cholage. You just jumped quick like you know.
Speaker 3: How well that was a funny team that old school league would always be because it wasn't nothing like the fights was just fights. And then I was like, you move on.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and six, you get traded to the Hornets.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: Your first year the team is an okay, see because of Katrina.
Speaker 4: How was that it was? It was? It was I was happy we were there.
Speaker 3: It was a tough trends because the city was still you know, the city was still struggling trying to get back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were able.
Speaker 3: To do a lot, like you know, in the community, which was great and to try to you know, help help the process. And we also like it was it was great that our team was good, you know, because it gave people in the city outlet somewhere to go, some hope, you know, and uh and then connecting with CP you know, and and creating that connection I really felt like I got into the league when I went there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I felt like, Okay.
Speaker 3: This is what the league should be like, right, you know, before like my first five I was like, I mean the turnover. I had five coaches in my five years in Chicago, two gms. There was only like four or five players that would stay every year. They would always trade everybody and you know, and turn over the roster. And then when I got to to UH, when I got to the Hornets, be Scott bar and Scott was the coach and he was like, look forget about all that, Like I know you could hoop. I watched you growing up, like I want you to get back to that. Uh and UH. And then the young point guard and see people's coming off of his rookie year, coming into his second year, and then me and him just formed the connection and like finally that live happened because we was arguing.
Speaker 2: He kept h.
Speaker 3: He kept throwing me the UH. Well he was either a bounced by or a low pass, and I got I got fouled, and then I was going through it. I wasn't shooting good. Uh, I didn't have a good free I wasn't shooting good at the line. So I can't remember, but I wasn't shooting at the line and I got filed and I was like, throw the ball up, and then he was like, uh. He was like, well, if you dunk the fucker, you ain't got worry about shooting free throws. I was like, I will dunk if you stop throwing sh it down to my knees. He was like, all right, next one, I'm gona throw up then, and the next one he threw up, and I dunked.
Speaker 2: That shot was like keep throwing it up. And that's how that ship became that it was deadly that How easy was them buckets? She was getting fucking with CP on the pick and rolls? Easy?
Speaker 3: Simple, turn the game simple. I mean, it was a It was a nice connection. It was a very nice connection. We could read each other. It was like playing a video game.
Speaker 2: How good was he?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: Man, Cep is good. CP is like extremely good. He sees the game too smart. But Cep so like he sees the game ahead. He could tell you what's gonna happen. As he's saying that, he could set up plays like I would get like I would have like whatever rebounds I might have fourteen rebounds in eight points at the end of the game, like tell somebody to get your dumb all right, uh do this, do this, do this, d d I'm throwing it up. You'd be right there like I do what he said and then boom show like right there, like he can he can get anybody a bucket, like when he wanted to get somebody a bucket, and you know, manipulating the game.
Speaker 1: I think he gets a bad rep, you know, because I play the handful of yearsm you did, and when you get those arguments, it's not that he He's just an old school dude.
Speaker 2: So he's straight to you. He's nothing bullshit.
Speaker 1: And people if you soft or not soft, if you just not, you are competit. So yeah, it's gonna be. But I mean to me, he wants to win. He's a leader, yes, and great to play with. It will get you a bucket.
Speaker 4: I agree. I could ride with anybody.
Speaker 3: See I never had a problem with because I knew like he wants to win.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Like I could ride with anybody that's putting in the work like that and challenge. It's not like he wasn't putting work and challenging. He putting in work and just challenging the right he has a right to challenge you, you know what I mean, Like great players are going to do that because he's trying to take it to another He want to win, and that's that's like cpso thing is like, you know, even the dirty stuff he did or whatever, it's like Ceep is a competitor. He's one of the best competitors that this game has had. Uh, you know, and everybody don't take it the right way, but you know, if you can appreciate the competitor, you appreciate the game, then you appreciate him.
Speaker 4: To y'all went fifty six games, PAIGEA.
Speaker 2: Bonds, David westbo Pete lost to the Spurs in seventy round two. What was the best memories of that year? You know, that's that was one of my funnest years, even though you know we lost Theratoris.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just a fun pure year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we knew Orleans, Like I remember even after we did our exit meetings, like we brung it in and was like I can't remember our champ but we brung it in, like we we knew this team probably wasn't gonna be together and it was just like great chemistry and a lot of love, like like we got the most out of what we can get, and it's like we lost to a better team, like you know, and it just was what it was. But it was like it was such a great unit. It was like a family, and especially what New Orleans was going through at that time, it really bought it really brought us together and it felt like a family.
Speaker 4: Then what does that team rake in terms of most talented you.
Speaker 3: It probably is like the third most talented team that I've been on, Dallas.
Speaker 4: Dallas was the best.
Speaker 3: Uh, the Knicks will be second with Mellow and Yeah and Ja Kid and Raymond and Sean and j R.
Speaker 4: Novak and everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah that that that well, next tape exactly like like that, you know the King like that. That was a real yeah. Yeah we had like that was a fun time at the City Live man on the stand, Dude. I never thought I would be able to play with the player like Kmar Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we the type of duce to just yeah.
Speaker 3: So then when we was on the same team, like I was like this is it. I got another dog, Like right on the next like if I don't got it this night I know he do, like you know, it was it was. It was nothing but respect.
Speaker 1: Olympic basketball alternate in eight, made the feet roster in ten, and then the Olympics in twelve. What was that experience, like representing your country?
Speaker 4: It was? It was, it was.
Speaker 3: It was one of those experiences that you don't think that you're going to get to accomplished, especially the way my career was gone. I didn't think that, like I was gonna get that opportunity. When when when my agent told me and told me that cor Angelo like wanted me to even try out for the first initial roster. I was the arganizer at my mom house and I was like wait what. I was like, hold on, I was in the house.
Speaker 4: And when else?
Speaker 3: I said wait again and he was like, uh, the USA team, whence you come? I was like there, That's all I needed was an invite. And at the time, you know, I was coming off injury, so I wanted to showcase and really turn my career around. And you know, Jay cor Angelo gave me the opportunity and put me on that stage. Then making the team like I was happy to be there, but then making the team was a great accomplishment and then to be able to just be in practice to sharpen your tools with all of them dudes, because that was the best part about it was competing against each other in practice. You just you got so much better, You learned so much, you know, from the guys over there. And then fast forward, fast forward to being able to walk during the opening ceremonies like every athlete representing their country, and then taking that walk, and then winning gold medal, and then again having another one of those surreal moments where you're on stage and you're looking around like wow, like this is what it's like.
Speaker 4: It was just a feeling.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is gonna be incredible for my legacy and my family to be like we have a gold medalist in our family, and I was I was super proud about that.
Speaker 4: That's Uh.
Speaker 1: Any great stories to come to mind, I mean the stars, stars are their code.
Speaker 2: Brian Wade, Mellow Kid to name a few.
Speaker 1: Any crazy practice stories, bust stories, playing eating gas stations.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's just so many stories. I think it was. It was always live. Bron was always the jokester. He kept it loose and funny all time. Bron is actually funny as hell. Mellow controlled the music. He was like radio. I hain Melo always had a boom box coming on the bus. And then it was like the young crew because you had young James, young Kdie, young Russ and they was all together and they kept like the youth of it. So it was like a great man yup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Cole was the older dude that wasn't trying to hear all that laughing and joking like like Broley playing Koche over there, corner of icing, like what is this new stuff?
Speaker 5: Uh uh?
Speaker 4: But yeah, Cope was like cod and then uh, you know everybody else.
Speaker 2: Personalities twenty ten, Charlotte, we got the number one deepens in the league. Coach Labor, Joe Wallace, what you remember about that year?
Speaker 4: Do you remember when m J came took over practice? Yes, him got into the practice. Yes, I tell.
Speaker 2: People don't remember. Don't believe that story. I said he gave it, took over practice. Me and him got into it, and he started telling me about taking off his shoes and yes, all this accomplishment. He was, I'll never beat m J and all this, and we was going there and they beat us and practice Yeah yeah, yeah, but stack was it was DJ august was across the gym screaming at him.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't think that gonna be here.
Speaker 6: Them back, and I was like, is he talking to j Oh that's twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: You can't do it now.
Speaker 2: He wasn't just killing, but he put the winning attitude in the second team pumped in him and DJ Augustine was on.
Speaker 4: He turned to MJ.
Speaker 2: Stephry D just started making everything like, yup, MJ, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Tredy the Dallas.
Speaker 1: You join a stacked team, no pun intended, Dirk j Kids, Sewn Mary and Jason Terry.
Speaker 2: What was that team like Jason.
Speaker 3: Terror man Jet, Yeah, it was a It was a team like full of characters and full of like Stack said, when we when we were the untentes, we were all guys who had been on different journeys, accomplished different things in the league, had you know, got paid already, and now it was like on a team together and really legit just want to win like uh and that's why that unit came together. It was an incredible team. Incredible right, Dirk played basketball I've never seen before like I mean, that dude was a machine during that run. And but Jet like Jet hit big shots.
Speaker 1: For us, j hit big shots. You beat the ship umber them, took out ship out of us.
Speaker 4: Swept us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember I was telling family like, yeah here I got I got you in the next round, like when we come back to LA because I never thought like it was gonna be a sweet but yeah it was after that.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right, we but that journey was crazy. So you beat us?
Speaker 1: Then Okatonio. First we started with you beat us in the first round.
Speaker 3: No, you guys were it was Portland started, Yeah, Portland, and then we got y'all in the second, and then we had okay, see team man, it was tough with James and Jane was still there. James like that was a real tough team Kurk and then uh and then the finals against the Heat. You know, they had just so bron that summer.
Speaker 2: They were the underdogs though, remember everyone everybody.
Speaker 4: That they had because they had the names.
Speaker 2: But when you look at the roster and the guys that had the better team.
Speaker 4: I agree, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: On what was that finals matchup?
Speaker 1: Like obviously that all the hype surrounding that team and and the Big three and you know, like I said, Dirk was on another planet that whole season.
Speaker 2: But what was that finals experience?
Speaker 3: Like it was incredible that uh that first game, so like you could watch Tate, you could you know, try to anticipate. They shocked us with how five explosive and athletic they were d.
Speaker 4: Wade and bron on the wings.
Speaker 3: I mean it was like a Dunk show like that first game, and it was like we would call off guard by it. We had to make adjustments to it. And the series. They was whooping us the second game, like and we were still almost in the shell shock. What turned the series was when d Wade hit the the three bar bench and held it up and then like walked by the whole bench like super distions.
Speaker 2: After that, it was like all right, wake up, Like nah, I just went him like okay, all right, like I don't care what happened, like nah, And we was literally in the huddle and like shifted for us at that point, and then we got back to us and then started rolling them off.
Speaker 4: Derk was on one. Yeah, yeah, Derk was playing at a whole different level.
Speaker 2: Twenty eleven, you go to the Knicks talk about the nixt tape we had. We just had shump on shump and he was talking about it that team had a lot he didn't mention Yester y'all was low was a lot of it was the coach. I got two questions though, with all that talent, why didn't it work?
Speaker 4: And the and the second question is who's to blame?
Speaker 2: I can't do that going answer just the first one.
Speaker 3: That was a hell of a table. It was it we allowed. We allowed the success that we had get to us and and we was in chill mode.
Speaker 4: Like got can place it? Yeah, like as if we had done something. Uh.
Speaker 3: And I remember me and Jason was just coming off of off the championship from Dallas, and then Jason came till two years later and then so now we're making this run and it was like, uh, we were both trying to like you know, speaking into existence different part of the locker room. So Jason would take certain task, I would take a certain tasks, and and we were rolling.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then up until the playoffs was some We won the first series and then we got laxed. We were supposed to so we finished we fa finished Uh we finished Uh Boston, We we beat Boston.
Speaker 2: See where you guys going into the playoffs, I don't remember. Yeah, we were top three. Maybe Miami was one of two or three. Yeah, we we were top three. I can't remember of Miami or I don't know. If India, I don't know who had to know because we had home so I think Miami might have been one, might have been two or something like that, and we was whooping Miami that year, like uh, I mean because Mela was like uh that year. And so so we played the Boston series, we had to play one more we.
Speaker 4: Had to play.
Speaker 3: We should have we should have beat them, we should have handled them, and we should have swept them, I think it was. And then we ended up having to play the five games or six games, so if it was if it was six, we should have beat them in five, and then we end up having to go to the sixth. The sixth game, Indiana Pacers had wrapped up their series. If we say we should have won five and then we would have we both would have had just, say three or four days arrest or whatever and then play. We had to play an extra game. So then we finished on Friday, and the game one of the playoffs for the next series was on a Sunday. It was an early game and we didn't have a shoot around, so they canceled shoot around, which me and Jay are like, wait, no, no, no, no, like we we got we're going to another series, Like we gotta prepare for this team. Oh no, we're gonna We're gonna do it. We're gonna do We're gonna go over that shoot around the next morning, all during the morning of the game. So we ended up not being able to have a shoot around, so we ended up not being able.
Speaker 4: To go over our strategy.
Speaker 3: So Indiana comes in and sneaks game one, so now we're behind the eight ball. We win Game two, we go to back to Indiana. One one they blitzed us, so we come back to New York down three to one. We win the game in New York, so now we take it back and then they they ended the series in Indiana, and then that was that. I really honestly feel like how we got past that. I feel like we we probably we had a legitimate shot to win the chip that year.
Speaker 2: Who came out the East that year that was twelve.
Speaker 3: That's yep. I want to say that's my Miami. When Miami wanted the year because Nami wanted. The year after that was that was Miami was trying to go for the back to back and I really feel like we would have beat him that year with that next team. No offense to him. I just I feel like we had the unit for it. How great was Mellow Mellow was was was on. He was like I at that time. I mean thought he was challenging for the best player in the league. Uh like at that moment because he was doing everything. Uh you know, he could rebound the ball past the ball, he was big and see the defense. He was scoring crazy. He was just super locked in. And then again we had all the pieces around it. Tap back rebound known for that. You can't get that. What how did that come about? I've been able to get the rebound. So you just thinking just let me tap it out yep. So so okay, it's funny you say that.
Speaker 2: So you never thought about tapping it out so far that's going to the other end.
Speaker 3: So so I would I would like, So I got it from the thought of Dennis Robmin. Okay, right, So Robin was a great rebounder and he would do it and just keep tapping the ball till he got it to him. Like to himself and you know you're doing him crazy, like you know, and you finally get the ball. When when I started becoming a good rebounder and then guys were you know, they're double team on box out and stuff, I wasn't like, I don't know what made him crafty to be able to do that, but I tried that, but I couldn't do it. And then so I was like, all right, I was more I could jump higher and more athletic this way. So I was like, all right, I'm going to treat this like it's almost volleyball, and I'll jump everybody. I know where all my guys are offensively, because as we're moving, I know the plays were right, I still know where they're at, so I can always find one of them blindly. So it always kind of like a blind pass. So if it went out, I just tried to, you know, tip it to where I knew, like one of my teammates were gonna be started at a lot of a lot of players, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of all the big men doing well. I mean, it's crazy. I'll tell the story.
Speaker 2: Because we haven't had him on the show yet, I'm looking forward to get him, so I'm with the Clippers at this time, and young DeAndre Jordan's starting to kind of find his legs.
Speaker 1: And I used to tell him, Bro, watch Tyson Chandler. He plays his role. He blockshots, he rebounds, he tips that motherfucker out, and he plays defense. Like watch Tyson. He's an Olympian, he's an All Star. He's getting paid because he was trying to figure out, like what's my role? Blake and CP or this, Bro, you're just as good and just as important, but you're not that type of player.
Speaker 2: Like watch Tyson.
Speaker 1: If you start watching Tyson, and sure enough, the nigga started watching you and tipping and rebound. Next thing you know, he's on the Olympic team and All Defense and All Star.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, watch Tyson.
Speaker 3: I just ran into DJ did you and me and jj I never really had you know, we see what it's kind of moved, you know, and we've never really had that moment, right, And so I saw him, you know, here, and I went over to I congratulated him. You know, I'm like, hey, because I was so happy for him that, you know, he accomplished that. And I only tell him, like, I'm so happy for you, bro, and he pulled me in. He was like, man, I just want to tell you, like, you know, I appreciate you know, watching you from afar, Like you don't know what you did?
Speaker 2: Right, God, Bro, I told you.
Speaker 1: I used to tell him to watch Tyson Chandler Bro, watch film, watch the games, watch Tyson.
Speaker 3: And it meant it meant so much neat, you know what I mean. Just hearing that phone, it was like, because it's all.
Speaker 2: Of that's really dope. Yeah, the motherfucker listening. You dealt with some a lot of stuff, you know, a lot of injury in your career. But twenty twelve Defensive Player of the Year. How did that feel?
Speaker 4: The bit?
Speaker 2: But have that award just you know, to put that on the man A way home? Man, it was it felt dope to finally because I felt like DJ right. I felt like damn, Like I feel like I'm changing teams, I'm putting in work, I'm working my ass off, like I feel like I'm helping you. Like I felt like I was just important as the person I was storing it. I'm just not getting alcolades. And it's like I was like, you know, in.
Speaker 3: My own private time, like I was hurt and angry like you know, like and and so to finally be recognized like for the work that you're putting in, you know, on that type of stage, it was like I was so so appreciative and like you know, like finally like finally it's being recognized, you know, the contributions that I'm doing, the impact that I'm making, and even like you know, thinks like that was great and it being the same thing all like having like it's like that started it.
Speaker 4: Like for me, it's like.
Speaker 3: Once I don't know who, why, how the ones that started getting recognized. It's like, Okay, now everybody recognized for some reason.
Speaker 2: I've been doing this though, yeah, I've been doing it.
Speaker 3: Exactly and I'm just now you're what was that twelve from me or something like that? Like you I'm like, this is no different, Like really I had better years defensively, right, Like I had a better year that year in Dallas, like you know, like from what I did to that team and this and that, but it wasn't talked about it. I mean it was talked about like there was no accolades, right, like you know, from it.
Speaker 1: Make a few stops on the on the ind of your career, Go back to Dallas, Phoenix, Lakers, Houston, any of those teams, any any fun memories that still standing out to you this day.
Speaker 4: A young Phoenix Young book coming in.
Speaker 2: It was cold, young right out the gates. So were you there? Was Earls?
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, yeah, So what first first Earl?
Speaker 4: First Earl was.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah yeah, first, Uh he was I want to say he was assistant.
Speaker 3: Uh maybe yeah, I want to say his assistant books rookie year and then maybe took over during half the year I think this season. Yeah, yeah, I think he took over mid season that year. But I remember the GM there like they had just signed they had just signed. H because the reason why I went to Phoenix my my mom was sick. So my mom was battling cancer at the time. So, uh, because I got better offers elsewhere, but I wanted to stay close those closest I can get to l a y I could drive to her appointments and stuff like that, or get to her appointments and stuff quick. So I signed with the Sons. I didn't even I didn't even know the Sun's roster, to be honest. And then uh so they had just signed back Eric bledsoe uh and Brandon Knight and that's like who they were so high on. They were good players, they were like super high on. So then I'm coming and then I played pickups. My first day of pickups, I'm singing a roster like, I'm like, okay, like you know who's on his team.
Speaker 4: And then Book came and.
Speaker 3: Uh, Book his rookie year, like, and it's our first day playing like pick ups. So it's my first day meeting and seeing them all. And so we started playing and like through you know, the years and like being able to build the chemistry with CP. It's funny. I was just talking to I was talking to a coach the CP had, and he was like, man, he was like, uh like when CP would like trying to tell a big to do something like Tyson used to do it this way, Like Tyson did it this way. I was like, that's funny to say.
Speaker 2: I had never heard that because I was like every god was like, Ceep did it this way.
Speaker 3: Miss I would try to, you know, imitate. And so I was talking a book about different things and so we run, you know, we're playing pick up and I'm like bro like and so I'm guarding them. He was able to pick up quick like, yes, I could tell him something once Boom. I told him like, I was like, yo, come off this pin down this way you come up. This is your looks like, and that's what you're gonna see if you don't got that bob looking. Boom he did and I was like, young players don't work like that, like you know, like not like that. And so instantly I know, I was like this kid is special, like and he's gonna be special. And I remember afterwards the gym was like what do you think? And I was like, I'm gonna be honest with you. I was like, the best player you got on your roster is that kid that you drafted devil boom. And he was like what He's like really, He's like what do you think about?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And I was like, they're good. I'm telling you. I was like me them this roster, he better than all of us. That's the best player you got on this roster. And he was like really. I was like, who was the gym at the time.
Speaker 4: Yep, Ryan McDonald, Uh he was. He was the gym at the time.
Speaker 2: The book was cold. Book came out right out the gates when did you know it was time to walk away from the game nineteen years right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man said, I ain't with it.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you, Bro, I got to come in, bro, because I say, what it took for him to get through through a season. He was dealing with your back, Bronx. My bro couldn't even walk, Bro. And he'll show up game time trying to push through. I've seen it, Bro, I seen it. He was fighting. He was pushing through a lot of ship yeah, bro.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, because because you know, even even when like I remember the doctor, the doctor who vetoed my trade and uh, because I was supposed to go to Okay, see before I went to Dollars. So uh so the doctor who vetoed my trade said that I wasn't gonna play past my eighth year, uh in the league. And you know, you you have to fight through a lot of stuff, you know what I mean? And I would I put him a lot of work to try to like keep myself on the court. You know, a lot of rehab, fall through a lot of stuff, you know, a lot of injuries. But you know, I appreciate it now looking and we say, when did I know?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It like I would it became harder and harder to bounce back. I rememberhen I was with the like the last year I was with the Lakers, they asked me if I could, uh, you know, like the type of minutes that I could play, And I felt like my body I felt like I could. I mean, my mind felt like I could. And then I started realizing I was out there and my body couldn't. And then so that was one side of it, But the bigger side of it was just like I would come into the to the gym and just sit in the locker and just look at my stuff, like for a long time before I put it in. It started getting hard for me just to put my girl on. And I knew at that point, I was like, yeah, it's about that.
Speaker 1: That damn well, you got to think, I mean, you're one of the rare dudes. You kg Brown Code that play had more years than like half your life in the NBA. Yeah, and you would play nineteen year so you have spent more than half your life in the NBA in the NBA, Like, that's insane to think, bro.
Speaker 2: It is you know how we always say Father time is undefeated. I want to read y'all something and something. Father time is not undefeated because of knowledge, know how skilled wisdom and energy is transferred from us to the youth and for the time has to start all over again with the young opponent.
Speaker 4: Our spirit is undefeated. I like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, damn, okay, that's a good one, right now, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I've known this motherfucker since two thousand and seventy. I ain't never said nothing.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Listen, that's beautiful. Man.
Speaker 3: That's like every event you know that you along to every young player. That's exactly what you said. Yeah, exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's handling that knowledge. And I'm sure being the person you are, that was what you just spoke about it about book. You know, we have so much to offer, and we talked about this, I think with our last guest, Kelsey Plumb with the w NBA about who were her vet. She's like, we didn't have no vets. And then you see the league now is so young. Yeah, and we had the first I mean, same thing when you came in the game. We had you had, Oh, we had niggas. It was thirty seven, thirty eight, thirty nine. Whether they played or not, they added so much to that team, just in knowledge, wisdom, experience, know how, and I feel like sports overall is missing that.
Speaker 2: Now I'm cool to do it the way J Kid did it though, making it making them coaches.
Speaker 4: That's you know what I'm saying. That's the way you got to do one of them. Yeah, you got to eat it. Take guys like J Kid did that.
Speaker 3: Just finished and say just come to the gym like Okay, I know you don't want to, but just come in do what you're already doing. Like it's so like, hasm what has them did? Every team needs has them? Yeah, like every team like it keeps the team together, like.
Speaker 4: And you know you you have it.
Speaker 3: If you got all the youth as competition, they all in the same place, you need need somebody to help lead the way. Now you got young players leading young players. They don't know what they talking about. They don't know what they talking about. And it's crazy that they even step up to say it.
Speaker 4: Like you hear some time.
Speaker 3: You're not a vet, bro if you don't be quiet, like if you don't stop like there's vets in this league. There was real vets, like real vets.
Speaker 2: Right, It's unfortunate, man, I mean, after spending half your life in the game you love, who were you off the court once you finished?
Speaker 3: Did it take time to find out? Yeah, I'm still in that really heard you retire. I've been away like two years, two years and not still but still in still in not playing mode. And then like your time that you have, you have so much time now you spent like you said, and not even the nineteen years in the league that I spent, but from being twelve years old, like and starting the journey. That's all you know, Like all you know is like hitting the gym and likes, everything is directed, right, Like there's not a time that I didn't have a goal that I was seeking and super motivated for, right, So like, this is the first time of my life that I don't have like something in front.
Speaker 1: Of me that it's like and we're such creatures that happen. So we're on the scheduled time and that's the part that ship is so to a t. And then once you don't have it no more, it's scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, for sure. I was like at first, I was like I didn't know what it was.
Speaker 2: I get to sleep in, I get to do this, all that, all that you so excited quick.
Speaker 4: I couldn't wait for it.
Speaker 3: Quick or quick. And JR told me that, like we're in above JR. I was like, what's the cause I knew I was headed to retirement. So I was like, and I knew he had gone through it. And then he came back, you know, in the bubble and then played and then so I was like, yo, okay, you've been out for a couple of years, and like, what's the toughest part And he was like, the toughest part is time, man, And I was like, okay, really And I couldn't quite grasp that until I was in that position and I was like, I got it, Like and now I understand because again, like you said, we it's always a training like okay, be the gym this time, do this, you got this, you got obligation. It's all set up so you just like a machine going and then once you're about that machine, it's like, okay, now it's on you.
Speaker 4: You want that time to relax after two minutes. I need I need. I'm a motivated person there. I need to be doing something, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's why it was great for me to come to the gym and also like I'm a creative so it's like, I know you want them tall dude to really get up like he's six two coolest head him the same way, you know. Yeah, the nd season tournament thoughts on that, oh.
Speaker 4: Ship man, I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: I like described to me and broken down by like three different players and exactly it's not I still don't understand. Like I was with DeMar Deroze and then I was like, bro, what is and he was trying to help me get what. I was like, all right, I don't get it, Like I don't get what the I mean. I hope it brings some excitement to the game maybe watch yeah, Like, but I don't understand what's gonna be the benefits. The reason I like it because they I mean, I didn't understand as well. But all the games count and they are all gonna matter. That I understand, So I like that.
Speaker 2: But just the fact that they make it that tournament during the middle.
Speaker 4: Of the season, that's what it is? It like because is it grab from like soccer fall? It is right that thing. So I thought that how you feel about the I kind of like that. The I love it.
Speaker 3: The overtime like points that they did, like I don't know how many points, I mean, how many points they would do, but I like it. It was set seven now, like a set numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had the first.
Speaker 3: Overtime with the MAVs yesterday and they put the set points, Like, okay, first to seven, clock is off, so every possession matters over.
Speaker 2: Time, it's eighty to eighty two. You go to eighty nine, Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 4: You gotta play. I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that, Like I don't know if it's gonna be seven or what, but I like that because you gotta play now every point matters, and then it becomes real strategy.
Speaker 1: And they got the flopping foul, which I love because there's too much that is terrible. And then with all the bullshit reughing. If you get your first challenge right, you get a second, and I like that.
Speaker 4: That should be yeah, yeah, like you shouldn't get penalized getting it right, forgetting the best player in the world right now. It's a tough question, that is mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Right now after the finals, your kids played the best, Yeah, your kids, It's been the best this year.
Speaker 4: The world. Right now, I gotta go yr Ki. You can't go wrong.
Speaker 1: With that, How good is Luca? I mean you get to see him on a day to day basis. How special to see special?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's this generation's magic, like though more of a score. And what I mean by that like not that the games are similar. He controls the whole game, yes, and the creativity of what they play with. Nobody had ever seen magic, right, and we never seen Luca.
Speaker 4: Luca. He they they broke the code of the league, Luca.
Speaker 3: And these are slow, unathletic players that are like moving at a different pace. Right, We were athletic and move fast. They just slow down and and he does it.
Speaker 4: He doesn't.
Speaker 3: In practice, he does stuff that like I've never seen before, and that's difficult for Like, I didn't seen a bunch of players like he does some of the craziest stuff in practice. And the dude doesn't laughing and smile.
Speaker 4: Like like magic.
Speaker 3: That's why I say magic, because his personality is always love, smile and love is easy doing.
Speaker 2: He's special. The King is still pushing strong. What what's that's incredible? What he Yeah, it's unbelievable. What's the differences between Braun and Kobe? You know both, You've seen both what's your what's what what's the difference that you see in between?
Speaker 3: I would say COB's mentality point blank exactly. That's that's the clearest thing.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: COB's mentality is you know, unmatched, just like m J point two Braun. It's a physical specimen like I mean, Bron is something that we've never seen before.
Speaker 4: The mascot for the Ultimate Basketball like you're gonna create.
Speaker 3: Is Bron straight up like he Yeah, yeah, I would say that's the difference between the two.
Speaker 2: He is definitely that. Before the show, we spoke on boxing. Did you ever choose training to get in shape?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Boxing Jack Jack wanted to ask if you look like a d when you trained for boxing?
Speaker 4: That that was nasty? I was that was who put that out there like that?
Speaker 2: That's like that.
Speaker 4: Don't do him like that. That's what I don't do him like my man working training.
Speaker 2: But you can tell they're not even training him the box and they just threw him in there to hurt the camera on exactly because I like he was wide open a lot of times, but Buddy just swung up one time as you.
Speaker 4: Your list, he's too close. That's something like this. He put his X. That was crazy. It's a great way to good in shape. But he you know, he needs a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: And I'm in the boxing space right now.
Speaker 2: I mean you close to all the way polish, but I look better than that.
Speaker 4: I look better than that for sure.
Speaker 1: Tice man, we appreciate your time. Were coming down to quick hitters. The first thing to come to mind. Let us know top five centers of all time in your opinion?
Speaker 3: Share kareem will cheat code. Yeah, I'm gonna throw your kitchen there.
Speaker 2: That boy down in Houston was nice.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, sorry, I don't know how I did that.
Speaker 4: That's fine. Yeah, that's fine. One album you can listen to with on repeat with no skips.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's this is I got. I got three, give give us all. I could go all eyes on me yep, yep, Doggy Style, Yes Coasts, good care Man City, West Coast, and uh forty major.
Speaker 6: Come on.
Speaker 3: Bubble bubble hey to start that ding that from start to finish.
Speaker 4: Take a Niggas ship click click.
Speaker 2: Yes now riding sideways Yeah, bron m J Kobe rank.
Speaker 4: Them damn that's M one.
Speaker 5: H M one.
Speaker 4: Bron Kobe.
Speaker 2: I can't go wrong either, way according to our barber here is he here.
Speaker 4: Even even doing a lot later.
Speaker 2: But he word is Justin Bieber was baptizing your bathtub. Any truth to that?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 2: How that happened?
Speaker 3: Random? Random? I'm living in New York. I'm playing for the Knicks. I got close with Justin like maybe a couple of years before that.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 3: I'm coming from a game and they hit me to come over by the crib, or to come to the crib. So I was like, all right, I'll be there in a second. When I get back to the crib. You know, he was going through some things. He had a pastor come over, so we all was just there, you know, chilling, and then uh uh he said he wanted to get baptized that night.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then so that's when you want to get baptized in that So that's why they called. I called the pastor over, and then so then I called I'm in I'm in the apartment at the time, living in I'm like, you know, one of the high rises, and I had the guy's number who would like open up the like the gym for me which had a pool and all of that, and so I'm hitting him and he not hit me back, and so I'm like damn, and I'm like damn, JB. I know you want to do this tonight, but I don't know how because I can't get the pool. And then the pastor was like, well you're a big guy, like how big is your tub? And I'm like, uh really, I'm like I do actually got a big tub, so if y'all want to use that, you can. They were like, just I want to do this, and I was like all right, So I went and filled up the bathtub and let them have their moment, and uh, he had it. Then he left his draws in my daughter's room.
Speaker 4: But get your.
Speaker 5: Jaws back justin. Man, that's the shitty beavers.
Speaker 2: Shitty be.
Speaker 4: Has clean drawers.
Speaker 5: Random.
Speaker 2: First thing you do in the morning. Last thing you do before you go to sleep. First thing, uh, drink glass of water right when I wake up? Uh before I go to sleep, pray one guess you'd like to see on All the Smoke, but but you have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be here, so I'm happy to be here. That happened overdue, though I appreciate you all be here. Man, All the Smoke KG already been on. Yeah, she's been on. Yeah, all the dudes he liked.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm yeh damning we got you know, count put us over this in your organization that we ain't had no dirty. Uh you got dirt, j kid, we haven't had dirt. And that's a concusation. We need to have you.
Speaker 1: We're supposed to have Cube tomorrow but he had to cancel last minute family emergency.
Speaker 2: But we haven't that you or Dirk. Dirk is our boy. We need to get Dirk on wetalking about that.
Speaker 4: You can't be mad at you can't be mad at still. But we were just doing our job over Okay, I got Dirk.
Speaker 3: I hope get Dirk is like Dirk is not the and not like thatgas. But Dirk is not the.
Speaker 1: Person you think right, no question. I don't know him at all, Jersey Sign. He's married to a black woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jersey in my house, Dirk's is one coming to the gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah you saw us to go you know, keep it at the.
Speaker 1: Barbecue, you know, you know yeah, yeah what tyson man. We appreciate your time and traansulations on a long career. That's the luck with everything, and you know we continue to wish you nothing but the best man. So that's a Wrapson Chandler. You catches so show Time Basketball YouTube and the iHeart Platform black effects and is finest. We'll see y'all next week. La curl lights King forever you did.