Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: So in the market right now, Equery's near session highs up two percent on the SMP. This bond market some wild moves earlier on this morning, yields three four percent at the front end of the curve high shield we've seen since last summer three eighty five. Now, because we've pulled back following those headlines, we're down five basis points on the session. We've priced out the easing. At one point we were talking about price again rate hikes at the Federal Reserve. Let's have that conversation right now with the Federal Reserve government of Stephen Mara and the lone voice dissenting at last week's FMC meeting, continuing his push for interest rate cuts. Governor Maron joins us now for more. Steve, good to see you, good morning. Thanks for having me back. Governor, Where do we begin with these headlines right here? As a policymaker, as an official, when things are moving this fast, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Well? Look, we've already hands whiplash this morning, and I think that underlines that we shouldn't be making policy based on short term headlines. Right We should wait for all the information to come in before really changing our outlook, and I think it's just still premature to have a clear view about what this is going to look like as you look twelve months out, and because of monetary policy lags, we really need to be looking a year to a year and a half out, and there's just not enough information yet about what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Communication in the near term, of course, matters. The chairman in the news conference last week really vowing to anchor inflation expectations. Do you think that's a worthwhile pursuit at this point?
Speaker 1: I do. Look, you know, traditional central banking Federal Reserve wisdom is that oil shocks head headline inflation, but they don't really pass that much into core as by as much as they do as they do into headline and the two ways that you would want to respond to, and so therefore you typically look through an oil shock. Now, the two exceptions would be if inflation expectations beyond the first year start to move higher. That hasn't happened thus far. Inflation expectations for the first year out have moved higher, of course, But as I look at the CBI swop market beyond the first year, there hasn't been that much movement. Medium term five year, five year, longer term five year, five year forward expectations have actually been come down lately, so there's no evidence of that. And the other reason why you would want to respond to an oil shock is if you saw a wage price spiral, if you saw wages responding to oil price increases, gas price increases, that could result in the type of reinforcing inflation dynamics that you want to forestall. Now Again, thus far, there's little evidence of that. In fact, wage pressures have been declining for the last few years on a steady, steady, steady basis, So that's also something that I don't really see right now.
Speaker 2: So the market, the labor market is just not strong enough to worry about it.
Speaker 1: I think the labor markets still could use additional support from Monterey policy, and that's why I dissented last meeting, as I have continued to send for all previous meetings.
Speaker 2: How lonely were you at that committee meeting just last week voting for a twenty five basis point reduction in the face of an energy shock. How robust was the conversation around the table.
Speaker 1: Look, I think a lot of people around the table, like me, were hesitant to draw conclusions from the oil from the oil news thus far, because as I said before, we have to look twelve to eighteen months out, not what happened to the oil price yesterday. And so looking twelve to eighteen months out, there's still no not enough clarity to think that montery policy itself should adjust in response to what's happened.
Speaker 2: Well, check out the old futures curve that has changed. I've just had one eye on December over the last three weeks or something that's gone from the sixties and threatening to break out into the nineties at one point earlier on this morning. That's a change, that's a real step up now.
Speaker 1: It has, and I boosted my you know, in the summary of economic projections, I boosted my inflation dot for the end of the year to two point seven percent, reflecting that in part right, so, there is some expectation of higher headline inflation. However, I said before, I think it's way too early to draw conclusions that it's bleeding beyond headline inflation in a way that matters for monteria policy. Don't forget higher oil prices also depressed demand, right, they take money out of the pockets of consumers that were spending on other goods and services and redirects it towards gas and other energy costs, and that depresses demand and causes unemployment to move a little bit higher. That offsets some of the increase in inflation.
Speaker 2: To your colleagues. This morning, Gustin goesby at the Chicago FED speaking to the press saying, we could see a circumstance where we'd need to raise interest rates. How high is the bar to raise interest rates on circumstances? Would you personally need to say? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, I just laid out a couple of them before. Right, If it looks like the oil like the oil shock, is bleeding into inflation expectations beyond the first year, then you get really concerned about second rend effects. Or it looks like you're starting to cause a wage price spiral, then you get really concerned about second rend effects. First und effects are not something you traditionally respond to as a central bank. Now, I'll say one thing beyond that, which is that these oil shocks have been things that this FED has looked through for a long time. Right, it would be highly unusual for the FED to start looking through them now, and when you think about what happened in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two, we did have negative supply shocks, like the oil shock from the Russia Ukraine invasion. But in my view, part of the reason why it was able to reverberate through the economy the way it did was because policy settings of the time were very different. Monetary policy and fiscal policy were at all time historical accommodative levels. We were doing one hundred and twenty billion dollars a month of QWI, we were doing two trillion dollars fiscal packages at a time. That's not the case right now. We're not hitting the gas on demand that would interact with the higher oil price in a way that reverberate these prices through the economy. Now that's not the case at all.
Speaker 3: But right now we're just seeing price spike on paper market. But what's happening in the physical market is actually avoid We are seeing not just shut in, but some of these installations going to take years to rebuild. At what point does that start to potentially de anchor inflation expectations?
Speaker 1: Yes, so you'd want to see you'd want to see the oil price shocks start to reverberate through supply chains and pushing up prices. More broadly, we are.
Speaker 3: There in terms of airlines diesel. That means that it's going to be more expensive in terms of some goods and services that are delivered by truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been a few instances, but you want to see that in a broad based way that starts to bleed into core inflation and boost it and boost it in a way that's sort of not just a one off time, but you start to see really second round effects that are concerning for the longer term. And if that starts to happen, then you start to get concerned about inflation. And I think that that is that is what you did see happen in twenty one twenty two, and thus far I don't see it happening on a broad basis. Now it could happen, right, but thus far it hasn't happened on a broad base. You get some usyncratic stories like airline prices that are more directly tied to jet fuel, but beyond that you haven't really seen it. And I think part of the reason why is because we're not hitting on the gas we're not hitting the gas on demand. We're not boosting demand with all time record accommodative policy in a way that would allow pricing to accommodate a supply shock like that.
Speaker 2: It's fair to say that I think a lot of FED watchers watching this right now, and I'm getting some reaction from them in real time, agree with you that this isn't the environment to high grate. The opposite, though, is a difficult argument to make. Is it the right time to cut interest rates this quickly, this soon? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, as I said before, traditionally you would look through an oil price shock like this, which means that my policy outlook from before is unchanged, and my policy outlook from before would be gradual cuts of interest rates. I had about six cuts for the year at the last step in December. I reduced that to four cuts for the year in response to the inflation data right that we received between the two between the two projection periods. So I'm maintaining my outlook.
Speaker 2: That doesn't change government forgive me for jumping in, but the balance of risks around the outlook should change. That should change off the Bank of energy shock. Isn't that a fair summary of where we should be.
Speaker 1: Well, the balance of rice does change, but I think it's actually changed on both sides equally. The inflation risks have got a little more concerning, but the unemployment risks have gotten more concerning too, because the negative supply shock that is the oil price is also a negative demand shock. You're taking money out of goods and services that are not energy that would have been spent on those goods and services anyway. And I view the labor market as continuing its gradual softening trend for the last three years. That trend has been in place for three years. I've seen nothing that would convince me the trend is stopped.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's a very very powerful medium term trend that's been in place for several years now. And taking money out of goods and services that's not energy to devote to higher energy prices is exactly the type of thing that worries me that trend might accelerate. So the balance of risk changed, but I think it got worse on both sides. I don't think it changed asymmetrically.
Speaker 2: Governor. It's good to say that's what making time for us. As always, we appreciate it, Sir Governor, Stephen Maren at the Federal Reserve on the argument for lower interest rights following a major energy shock,