Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg Intelligence with Alex Steel and Paul Sweeney.
Speaker 2: The real app performance has been in US corporate high yield.
Speaker 3: Are the companies lean enough? Have they trimmed all the fats?
Speaker 2: The semiconductor business is a really cyclical business.
Speaker 1: Breaking market headlines and corporate news from across the globe.
Speaker 3: Do investors like the M and A that we've seen?
Speaker 4: These are two.
Speaker 2: Big time blue chip companies.
Speaker 5: Window between the peak and cunt changing super fast.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Intelligence with Alex Steele and Paul Sweeney on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: On Today's Bloomberg Intelligence Show, we dig inside the big business stories impacting Wall Street and the global markets. Each and every week we provide in depth research and data on some of the two thousand companies and one hundred and thirty industries our analysts cover worldwide. Today, well look at why the planemaker Boeing reported first quarter results that exceeded Wall Street's expectation. Plus we'll discuss how one company develops advanced technologies for recycling lithium ion batteries. But first we would begin with some of our best conversations this week from the New Jersey Institute of Technology. This week co hosts Alex Steele and I, we're at NJIT where they enroll more than thirteen thousand students and are really some of the leaders of science and technology in the US. There, we spoke with Wunmi Sadic NJIT, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Environmental Science and founder of the Biosmart Center. She discussed the development of nanoscience analytical sensors for measuring pain in the human body, and I first asked Wunmi to talk about what she's working on in the Biosmart Center.
Speaker 6: The Biosmas Center, our goal is to look for sustainable materials in terms of chemistry, to create technologies that will help people. One of us technologies actually, you know, to detect pain. Over one hundred US adults live with chronic pain and more than ten million individuals struggle with prescription medications. But every time you go to the hospital and the clinicians, physicians are required to measure pain. And the only way we do that, despite advancement, is to show you a facial skills.
Speaker 5: They wear on the scale, like what faces are you right now?
Speaker 4: Exact?
Speaker 3: So what would your research be able to do.
Speaker 6: So Basically, my research says pain is biochemical in nature, and when you have chronic pain, there's a lot of inflammation. And when there's inflammation, there are chemicals that are biochemicals that are produced by the body. By measuring, first of all, by knowing those biochemicals and measuring how much they are, we can relate this to pain that people are feeling. You don't need the subjective approach to measure pain because if you have infants, for example, if you have elderly, if you have people who are conscious, they're not able to articulate their pain. And so you can actually use our bio sensors or smart biosensors to give you the level of pain that people are going through.
Speaker 2: So where are you in terms of your.
Speaker 6: Research our sensors that are being used currently? Uh you know, you know, we have collaborators in opposite New York and they take human blood samples and they measure the levels of molecules called cyclopgenis too or inducible nitros oxide and taste, and they measure the level. We combine this with artificial intelligence to be able to give you the exact amount of pain that people are going through. And for the most part, we've been able to think the level that people suggest to the level that we're majoring from.
Speaker 5: Ours are how far away from like regular doctors and nurses.
Speaker 3: Using it in hospitals currently?
Speaker 6: I mean it's we've looked at close to one thousand individuals and we're getting eighty percent accuracy in terms of what people tell you. At the end of the day, pain is also individualistic, right, There are aspects of pain that you know, you know it depends on individuals.
Speaker 3: You have pay tolerance, right exactly.
Speaker 6: You know you have you know, you have saturation, you can so there are so many other components that impacted. But in terms of being able to actually test this out, we're doing this already.
Speaker 2: So how does doing research at a place like an NJAI T How does that work? How do you balance like I guess, research with teaching and all that, because I know most professors have to deal with that across various disciplines.
Speaker 6: In actual fact, there's correlation because in the classroom I teach graduate students, I teach them the fundamentals, and then we take it further from the classroom and actually do this in the lab, and so there is a connection between what you do in the classroom, what you're teaching the classroom, and what you're actually doing your love.
Speaker 5: We talk a lot on Bloomberg here about tariff risks, but economic risks.
Speaker 3: About products being in short supply.
Speaker 5: Is any of that relevant to the work that you do, Like, are you worried about getting certain materials or products to fund and continue moving your research along?
Speaker 6: Suddenly we're going to be affected because, as you know, most research at the momental funded by the federal government, and so if there's less funding, there's less time that will not be able to support students to be able to do the work, and so ultimately it will impact our research. It would impact the classroom.
Speaker 4: And what we do.
Speaker 2: What's the next step for you in your research?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you working with a team other professors, maybe other universities. What's your team work?
Speaker 6: Like my team at at the moment we have six PhD students, we have post dogs, we have clinicians that are working with us. We have computer scientists who are looking at the AI component of our work. So it's a whole center activity.
Speaker 3: How did you come to research this particular part?
Speaker 5: I always find that really fascinating when you like narrow it down, like the field must be so broad, right, Like why measuring pain?
Speaker 6: That's a very good I'm sorry, that's a very good question because I have always developed sensors for different things. We developed sensors or the environment. We developed sensors to measure different things. But I had a friend whose daughter was suffering from sickle cell and you know, and she asks, you know a view. You know, many times she's in crisis. Physicians scientificately, they cannot really assess what No, she's in pain.
Speaker 3: And I thought, well, that should be easy.
Speaker 6: As long as we can find a particular molecule, we can measure that.
Speaker 3: And I thought somebody should have done that. It seems so obvious. Now I'm kidding, but we did.
Speaker 6: We looked in literature and we'll realize it's actually no. And this is where we studied the work fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks to one Sadi Njit, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Environmental Science. We continue with some of the best conversations from NJIT. Their co hosts Alex Steel and I spoke with Eric Fortune NJIT, Associate Professor of Biological Sciences. Eric discussed how he recently led a team of scientists in a contest to see who could count the most creatures in a square kilometer of the Amazon rainforest, and his team walked away with a five million dollar prize awarded by X Prize Foundation at the G twenty Social Summit in Rio de Janeiro. I first asked Eric to walk us through what his experience was like and how he did it.
Speaker 7: Well, it's a super exciting project that we were part of. It was sponsored by this group called the X Prize, and their goal is to incentivize fields where otherwise there weren't sufficient finances to drive things. So they feel like they're responsible for the current space exploration that's occurring in the private sector because they sponsored Next Prize thirty years ago that drove that market. So their goal with this X Prize was to drive the same kind of development and innovation in the area of biodiversity. So their rules were that they would give us a few months ahead of time, a random location in some rainforest on the planet, give us one day to sample with only drones and other kinds of remote sensing technologies. No human was allowed to go into this square kilometer, and then forty eight hours to analyze the data and provide a report about the biodiversity that we encountered in that time.
Speaker 2: What did you find here? Findings? What was the bio I can't think of a more biodiverse area maybe than a rainforest.
Speaker 7: Well, we went to perhaps the most biodiverse place on Earth. So this was a habitat in the Amazon rainforest. And so we had a square kilometer just outside of Manaos in Brazil, and so we deployed our drones and these devices that sat on top of the rainforest canopy and they collected insects and sound and environmental DNA, and we were able to take like twenty seven million samples of genetic information from the forest, identified more species of birds that exist in all of North America in this one one kilometer area, and then measure hundreds of thousands of insects all in this twenty four hour period. It's really unprecedented.
Speaker 5: So okay, so you take this, you analyze that you have a tremendous amount of research.
Speaker 7: Then what then what? Well, that's I think the big problem that Exerprise is trying to identify, which is first to develop the technology so that we can do this kind of analysis, and then the next steps the part that we're in now is to try and develop and address the market for biodiversity monitoring, not only in rainforest and critically important habitats like the Amazon Basin, but across the planet.
Speaker 2: So what are the next technological frontiers for monitoring.
Speaker 7: So we've now developed and tested and proven these technologies, so our goal now is to translate these things into businesses. So our team alone has generated six or seven new businesses that are each focusing on components of this biodiversity monitoring that are entering the market at this moment. And the other teams that we compete it with, some of their teams are also generating these new companies, new companies that do things like monitoring environmental DNA at a particular location. So if you're building a power plant somewhere along an endangered forest, you want to know what your impacts are. You measure the environmental DNA to know what species were there before andies what your impact is on species later.
Speaker 2: Do sense changing winds out there in terms of funding, terms of support for biodiversity and just environment in general.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean it's complicated, of course with changing political winds, but we all live on this planet and that's not changing, and I think anyone of our age and I don't mean to say anything about how old any of us are, but it's inescapable that during your lifetime you have observed changes in climate and in biodiversity that occurs, and so whether we like it or not, this is something that we're going to have to deal with. The question I think from a business perspective, of course, is what's the time horizon of that? Is it one year, ten years, one hundred years? And that's a complicated thing that I am not equipped to answer.
Speaker 3: What's next for you guys?
Speaker 7: So I'm personally. I've started a company that came out of this X Prize competition, and so we have our first order, and so I'm busy building things, building these high tech devices that are deployable into these kinds of habitats that collect this kind of data. And we see that as at least on a small scale, a sustainable business for quite quite some time. Anyone who owns land and is interested in in the biodiversity there, starting with like national parks or local and city parks, or any other business that have large landing holdings, they're going to need over time devices like this to answer regulatory and their customers demands about biodiversity.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to air Fortune and j It Associate Professor of Biological Sciences. Coming up will break down what it means to stimulate the brain and the benefits that come with it. You're listening to Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing end up research and data on two thousand companies and one hundred and thirty industries. You can access Bloomberg Intelligence via Bigo on the terminal. I'm Paul Sweeney.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We continue with some of our best conversations this week from the New Jersey Institute of Technology co hosts Alex Steele and Irat and Jit, where they enrolled more than thirteen thousand students and are really some of the leaders of science and technology in the US. There, we spoke with chaw yon Njit, alumnus, co founder and CEO Princeton New Energy also known as PNE. He discussed how P and E develops advanced technologies for recycling lithium ion batteries. I first asked Chow to talk about his company and what they're trying to do.
Speaker 4: So President Edit, we have a great technology and the using plasma to recycle LiTi ion battery with much lower cost roughly forty fifty percent lower than the traditional recycling technology and also much more cleaner compared with the traditional lead as a leaching process. So that's why recycling technology we need in the US is cleaner and cheaper. So talk about the supply chain for the battery. The biggest problem for the US right now is that the EV is still too expensive, so how we can reduce the cost for the EV is important. So there is a more than half of the costs inside the battery, which is they call the cathode active materials. So the direct recycling our technology is to direct extract those cathode active materials outside from the old batteries that you can reuse. And at the same time, we do not want to produce a lot of waste. So in the traditional way, using the software acid you leaching all the metals and know as any you can do a lot of the sodium software and we don't have the place to dumb them right now, so that's why we need the great technology to do that and which is a much lower cost. So that's what we are doing.
Speaker 3: So let's go to the cathoin part first. So you're doing that for cheaper than competitors.
Speaker 4: How so Yeah, because of the traditional way, you need to break the old batteries to downb to the element. So using the acid, so we don't destroy the cathode materials, we just fix them reuse them. So that's how we reduce the cost and using our plasma technology.
Speaker 2: So where are we with just battery technology and recycling, I mean, are there more advances to go here? Because it feels like that's such a key part of electric vehicles, just electric power going forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's not only for the EVA, but also like the ANDRE storage batteries. Yes, as the big the storage system. So traditional tech tchnology we're trying to build in the US, but it's very expensive and the processing costs is also very expensive. So that's why in the US we're try to scaling up our technology. So the company was founded in twenty nineteen and we have technology and after that we have the large space lab in New Jersey which is a close to Princeton. And also we have a build up pilot production line which is about three four years ago right now is upruning about two years which is in Dallas, Texas and starting from last year we are building the first commercial scale the production line in South Karina and Chester County. So in this one we are able to recycle five thousand towns as a phase one and we target to expand to thirty thousand towns as end to recycle the batteries, do you have to have end.
Speaker 5: Buyers that will contract that material for you to feel confident putting in that kind of capex.
Speaker 4: Yes, we need that and do you have that? We do have the feed stock provider which give us the WETE batteries and it were comeing from like a sale manufacturers who make the batteries there are manufacturing scrap, so we do have a contract with them to recycle their manufacturing scrap. We do have a contract with auto Ems and also the Junkyard players who have a lot of waste batteries, so we also have a contract for.
Speaker 3: That one who's buying them now.
Speaker 4: So currently we are selling to the leaching companies who need those batteries to continue to get the medals for the later usage.
Speaker 2: How are you funding your company? I'm a former banker, so I always think about the money. How are you funding this company?
Speaker 4: That's a very important part. So we close the two rounds of the investment. We call a cias run and a RAND. So we have a private investors who interest with US investor US and supporting US, and those the investors some of the finishing investors AHOW Strategy investor so. And on top of this we get a big support from the Department Energy in the past six years, starting from like a smaller grand spr later on we have a larger grant, so we got a rough about twenty minute dollars.
Speaker 3: Pouring us will What is your level of confidence that that continues.
Speaker 4: I think for the United States critical minerals are very important, so we don't have so many minds in the US. What we need is how we can leverage those waste stuff and how to reuse them. So that's why I think recycling technology is a critical for US to secure the critical minerals and this will link to the US energy security. So I think for our technology is very critical for the United States for the materials what we need and also for the batteries what we're going to build. So that's what we need, and just give you a little bit numbers. So currently us don't produce any castle the materials, so all the materials we import from outside, so directly recycling, we use the waste batteries and produce the castle the materials to make new batteries and that's content more than half of the value inside the little I M. So how important is That's why we believe the grant will continue to support this critical minerals research and also the support our energy security.
Speaker 2: So you get your masters and your PhD here.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right in chemistry department. That sounds fun.
Speaker 3: How was your experience here?
Speaker 4: It's awesome. I really enjoyed the research here. So basically it's built up my very strong research and engineering foundation. So I think that's would be very critical because once you move into the next step, so doing research basically finished pH no one's going to teach you how to do it. You have very strong the experience how to design your research, how to set up everything, and then after research, how to write a paper and the publications, and more important, how to find the research topics, write the proposals to get a grant. So yeah, we got I get a pretty good foundation here.
Speaker 2: Thanks to cell John nj alumnus, co founder and CEO of Princeton New Energy. We continue with some of our best conversations from NJIT. Their co host Alex deel and I spoke with Alisa kelly Onemi, Assistant Professor of biomedical Engineering at NJIT. She discussed what it means to stimulate the brain and the benefits that come with it. I first asked Elisa what kind of research she's focusing on these days.
Speaker 8: The biggest question my research is trying to understand how to modulate the brain safely and precisely. So we already know that several brain disorders have like abnormal brain activities, but we don't know.
Speaker 3: What causes them.
Speaker 8: I'm kind of like, how can we normalize them? And that's where prain stimulation comes from. So prain stimulation is a method where we can actually modulate the brain safely.
Speaker 5: Modulate the brain does I mean like fix it or change the brain waves or what does that mean?
Speaker 3: So basically it's kind.
Speaker 8: Of like the radio, So like it with the radio, you can find two things. So with this one, we are applying these like small energy pulses to the brain that are totally safe, and these energy pulses are able to change your brain activity.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So give us like a typical example of kind of what you're trying to do with a patient who may have some brain issues. What's an example?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, well, for example, considering medications. So medications are life saving for many individuals, but the challenge is that, like some people get side effects, some people don't just like tolerate them, some people just don't get like any response, and obviously that's a problem because then we don't have any treatments for those. So what I'm trying to do with my research is kind of like help those individuals who don't get help from the pharmaceuticals. So with these brain simulation methods, we kind of like fill that gap and try to help them. So we try to develop methods that we could kind of like a whatever problem they have in their brain, we could elevate their symptoms.
Speaker 3: And then in that case it's sort of customized per person to do that. So I mean that's amazing, that's like a life saving thing.
Speaker 5: You say it's totally safe, but you say electric magnetic pulses in your brain.
Speaker 3: And you're like, WHOA, I don't know. That sounds scary. Give me the pitch for why it's safe.
Speaker 8: So so basically with h this these path is we can just reach the surface of the brain and then like your brain is already naturally electrical. So what we're basically doing is that we just like a initiate the activity that you would be initiating yourself as well, but we just do it externally and then whatever was supposed to happen in your brain will happen. So it's kind of like we just initiate the domino.
Speaker 3: Effects, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Where are you in your research now in terms of maybe getting at some point two practical applications.
Speaker 8: So my LAP is rather new, So I've been an NHT only like two and a half years, so I would say that we're still at the kind of like the first steps. But we already have some industry collaborations, so we've worked with so there's a for example, this program and SFI coorse so that that's a program where we collaborate with industry and then kind of like a try to kind of like get an idea of where we could help with our research. So I've had a couple of student teams done that and then but basically, like everything that we do, the end goal is to help patients so somehow, because I mean, this is electricity, so obviously like that's where the engineering comes from. But like in addition, obviously we have to understand other feels like neuroscience and clinical things.
Speaker 3: But like a from my.
Speaker 8: Labs perspective, we're trying to kind of like provide the engineering perspective. So what do you need to do or what can we do through an engineer's perspective to to model like kind of like improve.
Speaker 5: These methods so this could become you could commercialize what you're doing.
Speaker 8: So this this technology is already commercialized, Okay. So so basically this was invented about thirty years ago. So there are several companies I believe currently there's like thirty in different companies that are developing these these methods and there are FDA approved at treatments. So why we still need like our research is because like we have this problem that like we know that this works, but we don't really understand the interaction between the brain and the electricity that well, so okay, we know that it works in this one individual, but then like how do we modify to the second individual. That's the mystery. So we're trying to kind of like find find out that what is the like what do we have to do, like what do we have to change? So currently it's FDA approved things like depression OCDS, so obsessive compulsive disorder and micrants with ours. But everything's like one size with all. So if you have like let's say, like your tenetics somehow different, it's like it might not work for you. But then currently we don't really know why and what should we.
Speaker 2: Do our Thanks toy, Lisa Kayaleo and Yemi Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering at NJIT. Coming up on the program, we'll break down how one startup is trying to develop virtual reality solutions for treating vision disorders. You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing in depth research and data on two thousand companies and one hundred and thirty industries. You can access Bloomberg Intelligence VI A B. I go on the terminal.
Speaker 4: I'm Paul Sweeney.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at ten a m. Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York's Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg. Eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: We continue with some of our best conversations this week from the New Jersey Institute of Technology. This week, co host Alex Steele and I were at NJIT, where they enroll more than thirteen thousand students and are really some of the leaders of science and technology in the US. There, we spoke with Tara Alvarez, and JIT Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering. She's also the founder of the startup Oculo Motor Technologies. Tara discussed how the company tries to develop virtual reality solutions for optometrists to use in diagnosing and treating vision disorders. I first asked Tara about the work she's doing and the types of vision disorders she's looking at.
Speaker 9: Glasses is what most people think of when they think about an eye disorder, and if you can imagine, it's very difficult to know what clear vision looks like. Unless you've been fitted for your first pair of glasses. My expertise is in how the brain brings visual information into the brain, which is the idea of using the eyes as a team to get the information into the brain. And if you don't do that well, you might not even realize you have it, but it can result in problems when doing near work such as reading, working on your phone, working on computers, and vision therapy works quite well for this condition known as convergence insufficiency, which is the inability of the eyes to work well as a team. How do you fix that?
Speaker 3: I guess or how do you find it? And then how do you fix it?
Speaker 9: Great questions. So vision therapy, which is basically like a form of physical or occupational therapy for your eyes, strengthens the eye muscles and the communication between the brain and the eyes. My work has been funded mostly through the National Institutes of Health, which is very critical in funding research that has direct impact to our society. You can find this by going to an eye doctor, so an optometrist or an ophthalmologist and they can do an exam. But most people don't even know that they have it, so they don't even realize that this is a problem. So typical problems people can have as they get headaches while reading, they feel like they read slowly, they get blurry vision, double vision, and it takes them much longer. So it's not that they have a cognitive or a problem in learning, it's that they're struggling to get the visual information into the brain.
Speaker 2: How common is this affliction or this.
Speaker 9: Issue, So depending on how you do, the diagnosis is present in between four and twelve percent, so you can say roughly eight percent of the population.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the funding. What's your level of confidence that funding for this kind of study will stay.
Speaker 9: I'm unclear right now. So right now we have I'm on my second randomized clinical trial where we're concentrating on concussions because we have the CDC released in December of twenty four that concussion costs is about forty billion dollars a year, and if you have had a concussion, especially multiple concussions, you can develop persistent postconcussive symptoms. And out of that population, about half of them have this convergence and sufficiency, which is that teeming problem of the eyes. So it is quite common, it's very impactful. My program officer at the National Eye Institute within the National Institutes of Health is extremely excited about our work, and in the past administration, I would have much more confidence that we would have funding to continue this very important work, but it is something I have a lot of concerns about right now.
Speaker 2: How often do you get funded or how often do most researchers get fund Is this an annual thing?
Speaker 9: So typically you get what's called an ro one, which is five years of funding, and you are reviewed every year and typically with a randomized clinical trial, which is what I'm leading. That's done in collaboration with Children's Hospital Philadelphia as well as Rutgers chop Yess and Rutgers University. It takes time because this is a rehabilitation and it's a longitudinal study, and it's also done with Saless University of Drexel, so it's not something that happens overnight. It takes time to acquire this data. But it's really critical because the knowledge that I'm gaining from this study has been patented, where MNGT holds the patents, and that led to our startup company, Ocular Motor Technologies. And the key reason I became a biomedical engineer is I want to have a positive impact on others, specifically in the healthcare sector. And it's my children that actually inspired the core technology of our company, which is the idea of trying to do the therapy that works very well but is incredibly boring. So if you can put the therapy in a virtual reality headset and make it in to a game. If you have a child in mine or almost all grown now, but it's not difficult to get a kid to play a VR game. And in essence, we are sugar coating the therapy and they think they're having fun, but in actuality, it's sugar coating a ton of science to get those eyes to work better together.
Speaker 3: It's like when I put kale in the oven.
Speaker 10: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of lines exactly.
Speaker 5: So what is the exit strategy for the startup and can do get outside funding at the same time.
Speaker 9: So we have been funded through the NSF through SBIR, which is the Small Business Investigator grants. We've had both Phase one and Phase two, and we also participated in an nng T iCore program, and we did a national version of iCore, which is basically teaching professors how to create and translate their science out of the lab and to have a positive impact.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to Alvaros and Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering. We move next to earnings from the planemaker Boeing. This week, Boeing reported first quarter results that exceeded Wall Street expectations, and the company said it's ramping up jet production, aiming to raise output of its seven thirty seven Max jetliner. Boeing CEO Kelly Ordberg says this would help generate cash that's been depleted by a recent strike and manufacturing crises. For more guests, Isabelle and I were joined by George ferguson Bloomberg Intelligence senior Aerospace, Defense and Airlines analysts. We first asked George what his takeaways were from Boeing's first quarter results.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think the biggest issue there was a cash generation came in a billion dollars better than expectations.
Speaker 10: I mean, I kind of get the sense that Boeing management has sort of.
Speaker 11: Give us some pretty conservative estimates for cash generation for the year. I think they showed it in the first quarter coming out pretty strong. I think there's a real good potential that Boeing could be sort of cash flat, meaning no usage for the year or maybe even a bit of generation.
Speaker 10: What we've heard is the tariff effects are.
Speaker 11: Pretty manageable outside of China. China is a bit of a challenge. They know that, but again a lot of the backlog is not Chinese airplanes. A lot of that's been the Chinese haven't placed many orders, and you know boe has been sort of busy getting deliveries out to them to get some of those airplanes they've already built for them off the balance sheet. So China the major issue again, not big though, and the rest of tariff world sounds like where there's occasions that they have to pay, they're paying, they can claw back some of those costs from the administration. So it sounds like I would say things are continued to be on track for a recovery, for a strong recovery, hopefully this year.
Speaker 12: Yes, and Boeing less earned a profit in mid twenty twenty one, and it's definitely coming off. It's worse the year, and it's century long history. We have the cee Okay ord break saying at twenty twenty five is the turnaround? You what is going to do differently?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean I think they're going to deliver airplanes. Right. So that's that's the biggest challenge.
Speaker 11: When you're an aircraft manufacturer and you stop delivering airplanes and you have quality problems, that's why they stop delivering.
Speaker 10: You're just not going to generate cash. They've really been trying to keep.
Speaker 11: The supply chain I would say warm by buying components from the supply chain, and that's why they've seen inventories balloon to.
Speaker 10: Like eighty seven billion dollars.
Speaker 11: So, I mean a lot of the turnaround is build those airplanes with existing inventory. Means the cash generation for the airplanes they build and deliver ought to be higher than historically. Use that money to pay do on debt, keep the balance sheet, or heal the balance sheet.
Speaker 10: That's the recovery plane.
Speaker 4: George.
Speaker 2: I know, if I'm talking to you and reading your research, the CA story hinges in large part on getting those seven three sevens out the door. Talk to us about where production is today and where do you think it's going to go in the future.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So they said that they were the factory was building at thirty low thirties number of aircraft per month. You know, we've kind of been tracking it. I think we saw high twenty, so probably Kelly's got maybe just a more current number on that. I think that they'll they'll get up to the thirty eight limit. This is all in the seven thirty seven that the FA is put in place for them this year, and go past that. I think they'll get an FA approval for that, and probably at the back half of the year, we're kind of looking for them to be forty ish and so again that you know, the more the more you use the factory, the more overhead gets absorbed over over a larger number of airplanes. The more profitable you are, the more cash you're going to generate. Part of that story, can you talk to.
Speaker 12: Us a bit more about how much the tariff headwind will affect the company's top line or bottom line, especially with this really heated tit for tat it seems with China, well.
Speaker 11: So again, China has really become much less of an issue for Boeing. The Chinese have placed sixteen orders.
Speaker 10: This decade for airplanes.
Speaker 11: There's some four hundred orders on the Boeing books. Still, that's of a backlog that's six thousand large. Kelly Orberger is talking on the call that you know he's prepared to. He was planning and delivering forty to fifty into China this year, so not a lot of airplanes. That would be mostly seven thirty sevens and that's out of an expected build of maybe four hundred and seven thirty sevens or so this year. So you can already see the sizes and that large. And he's ready to go out and he's going to talk to the customers, see what they want to do, and he's ready to go out and remarket those airplanes. I think we've already seen Air India raise their hand say hey, we'd take some airplanes. And there's other folks around the world that just haven't got the deliveries they wanted. They're ready to take airplanes too. So on the top line, I just don't see China impacting things that much.
Speaker 2: Our Thanks to George First and Bloomberg Intelligence senior Aerospace, defense and airlines analysts.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also Watch US live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal