Speaker 1: I am all in Again.
Speaker 2: I Am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in Podcast one eleven productions, iHeart Radio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 1: One on one interview with the one and only.
Speaker 3: Greg Henry Mitcham Huntsberger one eleven productions. iHeart Radio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: We are on. Hello everybody, Warner brother Set.
Speaker 3: Welcome Greg. We're about to go out there live. This should be fun in front of how many thousands of screaming fans.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm a little unaware of what this is gonna be.
Speaker 3: I think we sold I don't know, fifteen hundred tickets, but there's gonna be thirty two hundred people out there because that's capacity.
Speaker 1: The fire department won't let anybody.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tense up.
Speaker 1: Okay, me too. Actually, how you doing good? Good? Doing good? All the way from uh made it all the way here? How did you get did your helicopter it in?
Speaker 4: They choppered me. You know, very nice gentleman named Hubert picked me up and drove me here.
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 3: How did you get the role of Mitcham? Was it offered was it just did you You didn't really have to audition for it? Not not not an actor of your stature, right.
Speaker 1: I don't recall.
Speaker 4: You don't remember auditioning for it, you know, but you know it was one of those geks at the time where you know, you just like forget like months of auditions, like I don't even want to know about it, you know exactly. My recollection was that I was offered it, but you know it could have been, but it's that I auditioned. But I think I would have remember.
Speaker 3: Well, what was your first encounter was Amy shrin Paladino in the audition if you recall at all? Or did you meet her on set? Directed her?
Speaker 4: I met her on set. I wasn't first directed by her, No, Okay, I think maybe Jamie Babbitt was the first.
Speaker 3: Babbitt again, tell us what it's like to be directed by Amy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Well, it's fun because she knows, you know, every every syllable in breath that's on the page, and it's it's right there in her and and I found her very sort of supportive, energetic, fun. You know.
Speaker 1: Jim liked what I did, which I think is a very good quality. You know, and so we get too much pushback. So yeah, so we had a great time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: She was lively, energetic and fun to work with. Yeah, and she knew exactly what she wanted and she didn't waste too many words asking for something a little different, you know.
Speaker 4: No, No, she was yeah, very succinct, I think, yeah, absolutely and clear, you know, which means that she you know, she knows the strange beasts that we call actors, you know, which you know, a lot of directors are like.
Speaker 1: What do I do with these people? Props?
Speaker 4: I know, I want this telephone over here, but you know, these people move around and stuff.
Speaker 3: So don't you love it when you get into a rehearsal or something the director goes, okay, you stand there, you stand there, you stand there, and then you walk on that line.
Speaker 1: How do you react to that kind of a thing.
Speaker 4: I just kind of roll with that stuff, you know, because yeah, because you know, unless it's like a crucial point in what you're doing with the role, you know, because you know you can get by with that. You know, you can get by with I can make this blogging work. I get most of the time, most of the time.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been in a situation where you couldn't and it was became contentious.
Speaker 4: I have been in a couple of contentious things with directors. Is about yeah, about what we were doing. But you know, no blood was shed and you know it was not any no, no firearms were used or anything. So it was but you know, uh got a little loud and then left the set to sort of talk it out.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what happened. Right. Sometimes you just you have to fight for your choices. You just must.
Speaker 3: Sometimes not a lot, No, it doesn't happen a lot. Yeah, it does happen.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about a subject.
Speaker 3: That, uh, a lot of fans are gonna want to hear about, and that is the subject of your son in the show, Mattie Zukre.
Speaker 1: Mattie Alphabet, Mattie Alphabet and uh he uh, he's quite a delightful guy and a terrific actor. And I thought the scenes.
Speaker 3: I remember standing there watching you two go at it in.
Speaker 1: The Malibu house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, when you came in and you were thundering away at him and he gave it.
Speaker 1: Back to you, Oh boy did he? And I just marveled at that scene.
Speaker 3: It's the first time I realized how good he was.
Speaker 1: I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was that good.
Speaker 3: Because, let me tell you, ladies and gentlemen out there, Greg Henry is one of like the real deal special actors and he can bring it and he can hold his own with anybody on the planet.
Speaker 1: And Maddie just gave as good as he got. And what an electric scene that is.
Speaker 4: It did turn out pretty good. That scene was. It was one one of the best, but it was it was fun. We had We had We had a really good time just you know, nose to nose, toe to toe, just yelling at each other like.
Speaker 1: Fathers and sons do.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it just comes to that point and uh uh, And we had a we had a great time playing that. And it's been great to see him and his career just you know, take off and be so wonderful. And because he's he's a great actor and a great guy.
Speaker 3: What kind of reactions do you get out there in airports and restaurants and people recognize you. Do you get a lot of positive recognition for Mitch?
Speaker 4: Well, now, you know, I get recognition for what I've done over the years, mitcham You know, it's sometimes it's positive.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's not so positive, if you know. I think, you know, a.
Speaker 4: Few years back when a show was first aired, I think that the fans, that young ladies were very upset.
Speaker 1: With me, you know, they were very upset with me, and.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, and I've played a lot of sort of villains in my life life, you know, and I've done some bad, bad things as those feelings, but apparently nothing as bad as saying you don't got it, you know, right, that was it, you know. So but over the years there they've kind of mellowed and they see that maybe Mitcham wasn't quite as dastardly as they thought originally.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they you had some redemption there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was pretty much like a Godzilla versus Bambi scene.
Speaker 1: It really was. But you know what it's like, that's that's the old school way.
Speaker 3: And if she's made of the right stuff, you thought, you know, she was going to overcome that criticism, you know, that tongue lashing and and go on to do great things. As a matter of fact, that should have been or could have been the catalyst for a great career.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was, maybe it was right, Maybe it was you know, I think, you know, I think he was. His philosophy was tough love with with her and with you know, his kid.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 3: Try explaining that to the fan base, though, you know that's that's a different story.
Speaker 1: You and I can agree on it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, uh huh.
Speaker 1: You worked with al Pacino. I did in Scarface.
Speaker 3: You had a cameo in Scarface that I will never forget.
Speaker 1: And even before I met you.
Speaker 3: That that performance that you gave was so brief, but it left an impression on me. And I said to myself, that is a real actor. That's the real deal, because that that's a full character, that's a fully realized character, and that actor put in a great deal of thought to be that natural and that intimidating and that condescending and that imbued with power. I mean it was just and all you was lean forward and shake his hand and give.
Speaker 1: Him a look.
Speaker 4: How do you do, mister Montana?
Speaker 1: And then I knew everything about you, I mean amazing so well.
Speaker 4: It was helped a lot by the great Brian to Palmer, you know, who sort of also did this crazy sort of dolly in on me from you know, across the room down to just like extreme close up of the face, you know, which tends to give you a lot of power. But yeah, that was fun. I didn't take credit on that because I was like, it's such a small part, but I do want to, you know, I do want to meet al and I do want to you know, work with Brian and and so I did it and it was fun.
Speaker 1: What's all like on the set late.
Speaker 4: I don't know, that's what That's what I remember.
Speaker 1: We were up in Santa Barbara.
Speaker 4: We shot at this great, great big and John Alonzo was the DP and he was set up and lit and ready to go, and Brian showed up a little bit after that happened, and then we waited for you know, a few hours, and this happened out a couple of days, you know. So you know, that's what I remember. But the other thing I remember is it's al Pacino, you know, and he you know, his presence is he just kind of he just kind of vibrates with the character and with the skill and soul of the great actor that we all know him to be. I mean, it's it's it just comes, it just comes kind of shimmering off him, you know, and you can't help him sort of be invigorated by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you imagine doing a role like that, right, and how not easily, but how well he pulled that off, and how believable that guy was. Yeah, yeah, and what a challenge, what risks he.
Speaker 4: Told, what risks he took, you know, and it's just a huge performance. And you know, there are a lot of I don't think there are a lot of but there are some al Pacino critics that thought that that was, you know, too big and over the top. But you go back and you look at Paul Muni's scarface and huge, really huge.
Speaker 1: And uh and.
Speaker 4: If if you go that large and you fill it up, it's great acting.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's when you try to go that large and you haven't, you haven't done the work that fills that up, that's when it's not good.
Speaker 1: But he was.
Speaker 4: He was brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 3: I feel the same way about Olivier's hamlet. I feel the same way about Malcovich has burned this on stage?
Speaker 1: Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And he was criticized for that, how big it was. But were you were you not riveted the entire time? I was.
Speaker 3: So yes, agree, if they if you can fill it go right. So What are you doing now? What are you working on now? I know you're a musician. You're quite a successful musician in certain regards.
Speaker 1: Some luck as a songwriter. Yes, tell us about you know.
Speaker 4: Dwight Yoakum did a song of mine called the Back of Your Hand, which was did very well on Back on the Population Me album and and the video was number one on CMT for like you know, about two and a half months, three months, so that was very cool. And I'm working on another album now, trying to finish that up with my good friend Bruce Greenwood, who's another wonderful actor and musician. And if you're listening, it's Greg Lee Henry. When you look for my music, I had my middle name. But so I'm doing that. And I've been writing plays. I've written a couple and I have a play that's going to be produced in New Jersey and New Jersey Rap in July. Wow, so very excited about that. I get to officially add a hyphen.
Speaker 1: There, you know, another one that those are hard to earn, you.
Speaker 3: Know they are. So I've been I've been using for Wikipedia to recognize it. Yes, you want that Wikipedia recognition exactly.
Speaker 4: And I got a I got a movie in the can with Reno Wilson and Cedric the Entertainer called above the line, okay, and we're waiting to see it sort of do the festival dance, you know, to see what happens.
Speaker 3: Excellent, Greg Henry, appreciate you. Thanks for spending time with us. Thanks one of the real deal actors working today and has been working for decades.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: We'll see you out there in what about an hour now for our live show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be there.
Speaker 1: We're looking forward. I am looking forward to it too, Thanks buddy, all right man, thank you
Speaker 3: All right, hey, everybody, and to forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com