Speaker 1: Taking a Walk.
Speaker 2: The saddest part for me is that I only had the opportunity to work for one woman. All my other bosses, which I had amazing bosses and mentors that all happened to have ben men, but I had one female boss, Lindy Thurman, who's I still talk to you almost every day, who became that figure in my life, That was the person that I trusted most deeply to give me honest feedback.
Speaker 1: Welcome to this episode of the Taken a Walk podcast hosted by Buzznight. Buzz speaks with musicians, insiders, and industry leaders, and today he's got the inspiring story of an insider and leader of the digital media world for musicians. Jenny Smythe is a renowned entrepreneur and the founder and CEO of girl Lilla Marketing, a leading digital marketing firm based in Nashville. Smith launched Girlilla Marketing in two thousand and eight, which has become a powerhouse in digital strategy for notable entertainers and brands. Her memoir, Becoming Girlilla, shares her journey through career highs, personal challenges, and her fight against breast cancer. Here's Buzznight with Jenny Smyth on taking a Walk.
Speaker 3: So, Jenny, welcome to taking a walk.
Speaker 4: It's so nice to be with you. I wish it was in person, but we'll do that sometime.
Speaker 2: We will do that for sure.
Speaker 5: But since the podcast is called taking a Walk, I do have to ask you if you could take a walk with someone living or dead, who would you take a walk with and where would you take that walk.
Speaker 2: I would call my grandmother who was on my mom's side, and she lived on this great block in Phoenix, Arizona, that that had orange trees and grapefruit trees, and so I would just love to And I used to walk with her as a kid, So I think it would be awesome to be able to do that again, and like just the idea of like how that smelled and the memories and you know, it was just it was a it was a great time, and I would think it would be a huge privilege to do that again.
Speaker 4: Do you get to take a walk in the midst of your chaotic schedule to just sort of clear the air, whether you're you know, creatively blocked with something or just need a bit of fresh air, do you do you go take a walk?
Speaker 2: I'm extreme on the walk side. In fact, right now I am training for a sixty mile walk for Susan g Coman. This will be my second time walking. And so yeah, I mean we walked. I walked all the way through cancer treatment. Sometimes that's sometimes I could only get up and walk through the distance of my driveway. But yes, walking, running, exercising, all of that super important to me.
Speaker 4: So talk about the early experiences with Electra, with Hollywood Records, Warner Brothers, key lessons that came out of those experiences that have shaped you to this day.
Speaker 2: So many I mean truly look back at that as I say this a lot. I didn't go to We moved around a bit, so I didn't have that high school or grow up with the same people experience, you know, where you would kind of go back and see each other and have a reunion or anything like that. And so those first years that I spent working as assistants, as an assistant in some of those places that you mentioned, were formative for me as growing into an adult. And so not only were those jobs jobs that sustained a very expensive city rent that I had to make every single month, but they were also like older siblings in a way, you know, people that taught me how to get insurance, and you know people that I would talk about dating with. And you know, my friend groups all came from from all of us being at the same level at some of those companies. So while I was truly learning a skill and understanding a business, I was also learning how to be an adult and learning how to be a good friend, and you know, building a professional network. And really those are still some of the people that I talked to every single day.
Speaker 4: Now, when you came out of those particular experiences, you really didn't see over the horizon what you would become with your gorilla marketing company, right that was not even in your sits.
Speaker 2: Not not even close. I mean, the only thing I knew is that I wanted to work at a record company. So the day that I went on full time payroll at Electure Entertainment, I was nineteen years old. I made nineteen thousand dollars, I had health insurance, and I thought I'd made it. That was it. Like I got out, I got in the door. I got a job in the city that I wanted to be in, in the industry that I wanted to be in, and so everything that's happened to me. Since that day, there's been terrible things, you know, but like from a professional standpoint, you couldn't have told me anything other than I had made it.
Speaker 4: And can you express how difficult then and now it is being a woman in the entertainment and music business.
Speaker 2: I think for me, certainly, I've had some spicy moments happened to me. But the saddest part for me is that I only had the opportunity to work for one woman. All my other bosses, which I had amazing bosses and mentors that all happened to have been men. But I had one female boss, Lindy Thurman, who's I still talk to you almost every day, who became that figure in my life. That was the person that I trusted most deeply to give me honest feedback and and it became a very maternal relationship. So the that was I feel like I missed opportunities to have more amazing female mentorship so when I had the chance to, and I always had female co workers, so that you know, that wasn't it, But just to have a boss, you know, a female boss that you could look up to to so you could see yourself like there's there is a place for me here, you know. So I decided to turn that sadness into action, and and subconsciously or consciously, I can't I can't confirm, because I would love to say it was my idea ever since I was ex you know, but that's just not the case. The case is that as I went on, I only really hired mostly females, and I am most comfortable in that environment. And it makes me proud that seventeen years later I was able to create the company that I had envisioned I wanted to work for that just didn't exist at the time.
Speaker 4: Reflect for a bit as someone you know, based in Nashville, and when you think about the incredible amount of very strong women that are working in Nashville. We've had a couple of them on the podcast, Carrie Edwards Martha Earles as examples. When you sort of observed the landscape, give me your perspective as a female leader, how you observe the female leadership in Nashville.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's funny is that in digital media we've always been female heavy. So some of the first departments that I ever saw female's lead were digital marketing. They called it new media at the time, and so I've seen it. I've seen it. Even if it was my competitive you know, a competitive company, I've seen it. I've been friendly. And I will say that being in Nashville, I'm surrounded more by women than any other time in my career. And that could just be the time in my career as well, but there's no shortage of amazing female leadership and entrepreneurship in Nashville, and I think a big part of that is what I love about the Nashville side is that a lot of the women that I I look up to are on the creative side and on the songwriting side and on the management side, and so I feel like they are protective of the asset of the writer, of the performer, which is that's the backbone of our business. And so it's it is lovely to see the level of protection that we have on those precious assets because it really does allow for us to continue growing for generations to come.
Speaker 3: Where did you learn to be a great listener?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think my husband would argue with you on that. I think he would. I think he would fall out of his chair if you said that to him. I don't I don't know. I think by mistake because early on in my career I was much more interested in being heard than hearing other people. And I was quick to be the first person to speak up in a meeting because I wanted everyone to know how smart I was and how great my idea was or how right I was, you know, like, which in turn meant let me tell somebody else how wrong they were. And I had a couple of bosses that really sat me down and you know, gave me some directions that I definitely needed in order to become a better leader.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more the Taking a Walk Podcast. Welcome back to the Taking a Walk Podcast.
Speaker 4: The subtitle of the book, Becoming Gorilla is my journey to unleashing good in real life, online and in others. So when did that epiphany occur to use your work for a greater good?
Speaker 2: So it happened simultaneously in a couple different areas in my life. The first area was I unfortunately lost right around the same time that I was ill. I lost three people that were very important to me, two of which I worked with and one that I worked for. And they were incredible leaders and incredible human beings that had bestowed a ton of knowledge to me, and I felt like I had all this information and I needed to pass it on. It was like my duty to pass it on. So I just kind of sought out to like just start writing those lessons down, and mostly business lessons, but like formative workplace lessons, also lessons that we've all. You know, I've been on the digital side for so many years now that I've seen the cycles repeat themselves, and so I didn't want to waste any more time. I wanted to give people the cheat sheet, you know, the cliff notes, to like, hey, this is what this looks like, and this is how you deal with it. Let's move on and go go do something important. The second part of that was COVID. You know, like all of a sudden, people that I loved were isolated, and I just saw such aggression and negativity online in a time that we should be coming together that for once, it kind of affected me. And I have a tough skin, like this isn't you know. I'm on the internet all the time. I see all the bullies, I see all the horrible things that people say to each other. But it wasn't my friends. It wasn't my family, you know, and going through some of the political shenanigans that all of us have been, you know, going through for the last couple of cycles. It's just very hurtful to see people lose themselves, you know, and their friendships over something about that they read on Facebook. And so I felt like, you know, it was kind of one of those situations that you find yourself in when you're of a certain age where you're like, yeah, we should do that, we should do that too. Who's going to do that? And then you realize you look around and you're like, oh, that's me. Okay, I have to do that. I have to carry that ball forward. I'm the one with the information that I can share. And so for the first time in a long time, I wasn't worried about having an opinion. You know, most of my career has been built on being behind the scenes to help other people, no matter what their opinion is, carry out their message in a way that you know they're able to to the best of their ability. And now I'm sort of of them of the mindset that you know, we all need to need a little bit of a reset.
Speaker 4: So what have we put all of your employees with you in a conference room, and then you walked out and we asked them to speak about what it's like to be led by you to work for your company.
Speaker 3: What do you? What do you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Would your employees say?
Speaker 2: They're all so incredibly different in our little office, we have a microcosm of the whole world with in terms of opinions and backgrounds and passions and you know, all of that. But I would hope that they would they I mean, there's going to be some jokes, you know, I mean for sure, because like we are an entire building of you know, sarcastic, witty, quippie women. But I would like to believe that they would say that I respect them, and I respect the differences, and that I listen to them, and that they ultimately feel empowered to make the best decisions that they can.
Speaker 4: How do you size up future employees? What do you what's the keys to hire?
Speaker 3: And great?
Speaker 2: That's a that's a really good question, because I would I would chant there's so many talented marketing people, but there aren't the chemistry and the building is so important, so by adding another person, we really can throw the balance off. Or when somebody who is prolifically influential, and the building goes on because they get like a great opportunity or whatever it can. It can ricochet pretty pretty wildly in the building, not only for our own chemistry, but also for our clients that grew close to them. But I think my biggest flex of being a small business owner and being a digital marketing person is that we actually have retained people for a long time, which historically speaking this side of the world can be rather transient. So that's probably my biggest flex.
Speaker 4: The day we're recording this, the day before a situation occurred where Napster was just sold, I wanted to get your take on when you hear that news and you hear about Napster over so many of our years of our career, what you think of this.
Speaker 2: Just it's so boring, like again, like how many times you know? And at the end of the day, I think, from a branding perspective, no matter who buys and how much money you put behind a certain brand, if there is a feeling of you know, distrust or there isn't an affinity, I think those of us that went through the first round of Napster, you were either team Napster because you were like downloading the shit out of those out out of those songs. That was me. I was like, this is great. I don't want to get sued by the ri double A, but like, this is also great, you know. And then from a marketing perspective, you're thinking, Okay, sure this is illegal downloads, but at the end of the day, isn't this giving us information that we can use to inform our strategy in the in the straight world, you know, to say, like what songs are actually like what are people pursuing versus you know, how how arrogant were we in the music business to say when you're going to listen you know what songs you're going to listen to, and you're going to like this song, and you're going to like this song for forty weeks before we even release it to you to where you can buy it. That was what we were doing. So then you have the opposite, you have the exact opposite feeling of affinity for Napster for some people, which was also valid by the way that it ruined the music business. So I don't know how many times you try to rebrand that or you resell it, especially when you have players in the field like Spotify and Amazon and Apple Music that are they come with their own set of affinities and also affection and the opposite. But nothing is ever going to be napster like I just I would be. I hope I'm wrong, and you know whatever, But I just I don't see it as a brand that any anybody in the music business with any kind of memory ever sees being a major player.
Speaker 4: Again, so can you brag a second with a couple of maybe examples of some campaigns for some artists that your company has recently done that that you're really proud of.
Speaker 2: I will tell you I get asked this question a lot.
Speaker 3: And darn, I shouldn't have asked it.
Speaker 2: Oh, no question, you know the other question that I get asked a lot. But I want to say that I am most proud of when one of our clients is passionate about a cause or a nonprofit or has the ability to shine light on an important matter, and they use their platforms and are creative respectful way to do that. I will also say that my work with the CMA and the CMA Foundation, even though it's not my direct work, but the idea that our genre performs for free. Two basically bankroll the CMA Foundation, which is rooted in public music education for children. And my, it's just it's so unique to Nashville and country music. I mean, we do see amazing campaigns of people coming together. We just saw it with the Wildfire Fund, but consistently quietly without any credit, you know, just the millions and millions of dollars that get funneled into music education in our country, not just in Nashville, Bill, not just in Tennessee. That is amazing. And then I would also say that Music Health Alliance is I think boots on the ground helping musicians and people in the music industry every single day. I mean, from you know, dental care to heart transplants, and the idea that we would create that Tatum Alsop would create a company, a nonprofit that takes care of an entire community. That is what I think is amazing about music and specifically about Nashville, and almost every single one of my clients of course, you know, I'm I are either already involved with either of those organizations or I have the opportunity to tell them about opportunities that they can plug in. And so that is That is what I'm most proud of.
Speaker 3: Closing the book Becoming Gorilla.
Speaker 4: It's a lot about you know, resilience, authenticity, but it's also about continuous learning.
Speaker 3: So what are you still trying to learn?
Speaker 2: My god? Everything? I mean, kids that humble me. My husband is also an entrepreneur, so he's always doing something, and neither one of us are afraid to fail. If you fail, you're like okay, you know, like, well anyways, we move on. But for me, every single day there's something to figure out. So I just know that I walk into my day knowing there's something that's going to challenge me, and so I'm not derailed by that, you know, or the strategy that I laid out on Tuesday on Thursday is obsolete. That happens a lot, but I will say that I have come to a certain age where, you know, I am patient. I listen to everybody's big plans, and just like the cycles that we were talking about earlier, I'm like, have you thought about this? And there's a like, no, I've never I haven't thought about that. I'm like, okay, well, like that's kind of my skill now, right to be the person that can poke holes in some of the plans, and it used to be, especially in digital media, you needed to be first and you needed to be fast, and that is not the case anymore. You know, we can we don't have to reinvent the wheel the whole time, and we don't have to be the first person to do as many things as possible. So the idea that we can be creative and thoughtful and not only in what we put out there, but how we communicate with people, it's just a it's it's it's part of the ethos, you know. So I think people forget that sometimes, so being able to remind them that it's it's it's Instagram. You know, at the end of the day, if you're having this much stress out, is stress about it or you are feeling, you know, overwhelmed by it, like you you can take a break, you can there's ways to work around it. And I get the same questions from musicians as I get from my mom friends, you know, I as I get from big brands. Like everybody is concerned about safety, everybody's concerned about data, everybody wants to have more followers and more engagement. So it's it's the same. So I try to answer some of those questions in the book, and hopefully my hope is that when people read it, they feel a little better about it.
Speaker 3: The book is great. Congratulations and I appreciate you spend the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, nice Walkay, Thanks Jane, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this episode of the Taking a Walk podcast. Share this and other episodes with your friends and follow us so you never miss an episode. Taking a Walk is available on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, and wherever you get your podcasts.