Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind Listener Mail.
Speaker 3: This is Robert Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. Now, Hey, if you've been listening to the show for the past few years but maybe tuned out over the past month or so, you might not be aware that we've changed up our format a little bit on listener Mail. For a while, we had been doing it as a weekly offering every Monday, but for the time being, we're trying out a different schedule, which is more like what we used to do going several years back. We used to run listener Mail in a Tuesday Thursday slot every so often, you know, whenever the mail bag would accumulate sufficiently, And that's what we're doing for now. So we're bringing you listener Mail today. We've got messages on all kinds of topics. We've got stuff about warships, ramming, we've got stuff about we've got stuff about ninjas, we've got stuff about horned lizards. It's all over the place, and lots of responses to the warriors, way more than we can get to, but we'll do our best to give a somewhat representative sample.
Speaker 2: Well where do we even begin to dive in here, Joe.
Speaker 3: Well, let's see. I'm going to start things off with this message from Ian about our series on Dust. All right, Ian says, dear Robin, Joe, I was listening to the fifth episode of your series on Dust, in which you talk about dust storms and dust devils. In the discussion of dust storms, you briefly mentioned plants abilities to prevent such storms by securing the soil with their roots and acting as wind breaks. I am from southern Kansas, where we are very familiar with using plants as wind breaks. When you drive through any rural area, you will see about every quarter to half mile a straight line of true planted between the wheat fields. Those were planted in direct response to the dust Bowl and are still maintained to this day. They were always just in the background to me. I never thought about them until one time we were driving to South Dakota to visit family and I noticed somewhere around the Kansas Nebraska border the tree lines disappeared. I don't know what cultural reasons underlie this difference, whether they weren't hit as hard by the dust bowl and never had them in the first place, or if they used to have them but haven't maintained them. Whatever the reason, it always stands out to me when we drive through, how strange the landscape looks without the trees. Dust devils are another thing we are very familiar with around here. I've always associated them with mid morning in the late summer or early fall. I never thought about why until you described how they are formed. It makes perfect sense now that around that time of day the air is still somewhat cooler from overnight, but the sun is starting to heat up the ground, creating the temperature inversion you discussed. I've seen them most often unpaved surfaces such as basketball courts or parking lots, especially gravel ones, which must provide the smooth, open surface they require. The ones we see are typically quite small, maybe twenty or thirty feet high and five or so feet across, very wispy, and extremely transient, often lasting only a couple of minutes. Definitely not anything that could cause damage we have real tornadoes for that. They are quite captivating, though they tend to fade in and out of view as the amount of dust they're carrying varies, and sometimes will seem to almost stop rotating and fade away altogether before picking up speed and strength again. Children especially find them in thralling, as I did myself when I was a kid. Thanks as always for your work, especially in highlighting the wonder of seemingly mundane things. I never would have guessed dust would be such a rich topic of discussion, but I'm glad to have learned my mistake. Ian Well, thank you so much and yeah, interesting email. I recall also seeing dust Devil's form a little bit when I was a kid, also on gravel or paved surfaces. That's exactly what I associate them with them being unlike oh, I don't know, like over the gravel and then edging onto the concrete basketball court on the playground outside my elementary school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I too have definite memories of seeing them kick up on little paved areas and so forth, you know, parking lots sort of scenarios.
Speaker 3: I'm also intrigued by the tree line mystery. I didn't have time to look this up before we recorded today, but I wonder if there was a if there is an answer out there to this, Why the tree lines between the Fields and Kansas but not Nebraska all right.
Speaker 2: This next one comes to us from Tim tim Rights in on the horned lizards. Tim Wrights fellas, I only have some heartfelt nostalgia to add to your blood spitting lizard dropped today. I was born in Midland, which is firmly in the Texas horny toad range. We moved from Texas to the East Coast when I was almost five, so catching, playing with and building little makeshift terrariums for my legion of horny toads is still one of my most vivid memories of my brief origins in Texas. They were really pretty gentle little lizards and would quickly go to sleep if you flipped them over and rub their belly. It's good they had spikes because they were pretty easy to catch, even for a four year old. They definitely would spit blood at you if you surprised them, but as these were the only lizards I'd ever known up to this point, I was more surprised later to find out that all lizards didn't bleed out of their eyes. Again, maybe from the vantage of a four year old, I just didn't notice, but I don't ever remember anything eating them. All the dogs in the area learned real fast that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so the thorns and the blood must have done their job. Again, take everything I say as veiled through the eyes of a child, But forty years later, it was a real nostalgic run for me today listening to this one.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tim, Thank you, Tim. That's an interesting detail that you said the dogs just left them alone. I wonder if that is a product of past experience, like they got the blood Jets one time, it tasted bad enough that they just don't mess with them at all, or or what. Yeah, by the way, did we end up calling those episodes here come the blood Jets.
Speaker 2: I don't think we did, but I remember having that Brian Eno reference in the notes at least. I can't even remember if we specifically said it at one point or another, but it's always in the background.
Speaker 3: Whatever we actually used. I know at one point a title I had somewhere in my head was like warm blood squirting from the Lizard's eye, which sounds like a Jallo movie. You know, they have those great titles that are like a whole sentence or like a lot of words.
Speaker 2: We ended up using a variation of that blood squirting from the lizard's eye. Okay, okay, so we did kind of in focus sense of that your vice is a lizard's eye and I am the blood or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we got another message about the Texas horned lizards. This one is from Lindsay. Lindsay says, gentlemen, longtime listener, thanks for the horny toad episode. US Texans love our horny toads with personal memories from childhood. This is a theme, isn't it. Yeah, Lindsay says, I know that TCU. I think that's Texas Christian University mascot horned frogs is one of the heavy researchers in their conservation. We have several species throughout the Chiuawan Desert. I'm supporting some local research on the mountain shorthorn in the Davis Mountains. Keep doing what you're doing, right on, y'all.
Speaker 2: Lindsay.
Speaker 3: PS, now here's a topic, SWITCHERU. I write this while watching Highlander two, the Renegade version. You've picked the wrong version, Lindsay, we go back in time and stop you.
Speaker 2: They don't make it easy, as we've discussed, to select the correct version.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but anyway, Lindsay says, and I ask myself, what on earth does this have to do with the original, and when does Clancy Brown show up? God to love raw Hide from Buckaroo BONDSI, maybe it's not coming through, but this email has a lot of line breaks in it, so it reads kind of like a poem.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I had to look up who Clancy Brown was in Buckaroo BONSI. Unfortunately he is not one of the John's, not one of the alien guys, John Smallberry's or whatever he I guess works for Peter Weller.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, it's been a long time stin. I've seen that one, but it has quite an ensemble cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but anyway, thank you, Lindsey. Clancy Brown never shows up, You're never going to get to him, and Iland just not in there. It's the sad facts.
Speaker 2: All right. Let's jump over to Ninja mail. This one comes to us from Mike. Mike says, Hey, guys, been loving the series on Ninja Just real quick note on Snake Eyes and storm Shadow from Gi Joe and Larry Hannah's long running Gi Joe comic series, Issue three oh eight just came out a few weeks ago. Storm Shadow isn't actually a villain. In his first appearances in the comic Storm Shadow went undercover in Cobra to find out who framed him for the murder of his Sinsey, the hard Master, but he's mostly been part of the Gijoe team since then. Ninja's have always been a big part of the comic series. Towards the end of the Marvel run, Hasbro went extra ninja crazy and started introducing a lot of ninja characters, even turning longtime characters like Scarlett and Stalker into ninjas. They even briefly put Snake Eye's name on the cover bigger than Gi Joe and featured a group called Ninja Force. And we have an image here and yeah, it's like Gi Joe starring and then huge banner Snake Eyes and Ninja Force. So it's like g I Joe presents Snake Guys?
Speaker 3: Now? Is this email a sort of semi correction to us talking about a one of the Ninjas and Gi Jo being good and the other being evil, And the idea is actually they were both primarily good, because you know, how can you have ninjas as the bad guys? When you're a kid, you just you want the ninjas to be on your team because you love them.
Speaker 2: They it seems like it ends up going this way. In the comic books, this would have been what the nineties. Yeah, so it does kind of back up what we were talking about though. Yeah, the kids want the Ninjas to be the good guys so much that even the bad Ninjas are going to eventually cross over. It kind of works that way anyway with any sort of cool villain.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, they show up at first, they're acting kind of mysterious and standoffish, but you know by the final act they're going to be a standing right alongside the hero.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have to I have to admit I didn't. I never went too deep into the G I. Joe lore because at some point I saw the GI Joe movie that they put out. This would have been nineteen eighty seven's G I. Joe The Movie, And this is the one that had all sorts of like weird ideas in it, where there's like a place in like a place called Cobra Law and the Himalayas, and they are all these like grotesque monsters. And I don't know, maybe I just saw it too young of an age, because on the surface, all this sounds weird. And great, right, but it really like hit me the wrong way, and I'm like, I don't really don't like where they're going with this whole Gi Joe thing, and I kind of I kind of phased out of the franchise at that point.
Speaker 3: I think, really leaning into the utopian spiritual themes of the G I. Joe universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there was like a lot of like weird body horror stuff in it. I don't know, I mean all, you know, obviously all things that I definitely came around to, but maybe I just wasn't ready for these ideas yet. In my Gi Joe animated motion pictures.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is the movie or if it was just an episode of the two TV show, but a G I. Joe cartoon that really sticks in my mind from childhood was there. The the Joe's are being attacked by a bunch of you know, bat evil robots or something, and they're blasting them with their their laser guns, and the laser guns are having no effect on the robots. So one of the the Joe's, I guess it's like a tough guy, I want to say, Sergeant Slaughter, but I think that may have actually been a wrestler and not a G I Joe.
Speaker 2: It was both Oh okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, Sergeant's laughter or I don't know if that's really who it was. This like tough sergeant character is like, here's how we're going to defeat them. We're going to use our bare hands, like the energy weapons no effect. But they run in and they like rip the robots apart with their hands and that works.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, I kind of forgot this sergeant Slaughter was was part of the whole franchise there, at least for a little bit, stands out in my mind. Maybe it was only like a few cameos, but I just assume he was just all G I Joe. I kind of sometimes forget that he was also a human being as well.
Speaker 3: But anyway, back to the main theme. I do think it's true that like the ninjas in Gi Joe have got to be the absolute core, the bullseye of the americanized pop culture ninja phenomenon. All right, I'm going to move on to some other emails that connect one of our historical show topics to some fictional media. So we just did a series on the war galleys of the ancient Mediterranean, especially the famous Trirem, which was used in naval battles as a ramming weapon. In the ship to ship combat, these ships would ram each other to try to damage and immobilize each other in battle. And Rob you ended up bringing up ramming between ships and a science fiction context.
Speaker 2: What was the specific thing you were talking about was a warhammer. I think in the third episode I brought up warhammer, but earlier I just was kind of spitball and I was thinking, well, hey, Star Trek has always essentially been naval combat transferred into a space scenario, so they had to have had some ramming speed going on at some point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we asked about that, and what do you know, multiple listeners got in touch to tell us about Star Trek. Who would have thought. So, this first message is from Jim, subject line Star Trek Ramming. Jim says, you asked for it. Here it is number one. In Star Trek First Contact, the Federation is fighting a borg Cube. Wharf is in command of the Defiant, a smaller ship from DS nine. I guess Deep Space nine correct, and the Defiant takes damage and Wharf declares ramming speed, but it never does because the Enterprise comes to the rescue. But the fact that he declared it means it's a thing.
Speaker 2: Seems key that it would be like a Klingon thing, right, kind of like your lastch effort. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Number two in Star Trek Nemesis Picard crashes the Enterprise into a Romulan ship called the Scimitar, heavily damaging both ships. This was not at warp speed, however. There was also an example in Star Wars The Last Jedi. Oh yeah, I remember this one spoiler for I don't know the movies, like seven years old at this point, but you know, a spoiler for pivotal plot moments. Laura Dern plays a character named Vice Admiral Holdo. She rams a Rebel ship into a Star Destroyer at hyperspeed, destroying both ships. Thanks for all the great shows, Jim, and then I'm going to quickly tack on another one here that we got from Jim in New Jersey. So a totally different Jim wrote in on the same subject, Robert, Joe, and JJ you asked about whether ramming ships were ever used in Star Trek. One story came to mind. It's from Star Trek Voyager the year of Hell, which was a two part episode. Captain Janeaway uses the Voyager as a ramming vessel when all other options have been eliminated, and then Jim attaches a clip to a video of this scene. So I went and looked at it. I've never seen any Star Trek Voyager really, so I don't know much of what's going on, but it appears this is a storyline in which the Starfleet ship is facing off against an enemy played by kurtwood Smith Clarence Bodiker from RoboCop. In this episode of Star Trek, he has some kind of time manipulation device and can reset to an earlier kind of save point anytime he loses.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: So it seems like mutual destruction is somehow the only way to break the loop and escape.
Speaker 2: Well, I just watched a couple of like pizza commercials on YouTube and then saw the ramming sequence, and I am getting the sense that ramming in these various spaceship scenarios, it is all or nothing. It's just a full speed, mutually assured just struction and not the carefully calculated procedure maneuver that we talked about with the tryrems. So it would be neat to see that version of space combat.
Speaker 3: I guess a difference would be that the ships in all of these scenes are not designed for ramming, whereas the tryream is it is built with ramming in mind, so it's constructed to be able to absorb the shock and survive a ramming maneuver to damage the other ship without taking critical damage itself. And generally space ships you don't think they're not designed that way, but I suppose you could make one like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, supposedly some of these ships in Warhammer. Again, I never played Battlefleet Gothic or any of the sub games that deal specifically with ship to ship combat, but I may have to dig into it and see if they're just doing an all or nothing ramming speed scenario or if they are exploring something that is again a little more nuanced and calculated, where you're kind of doing a controlled nudge to rupture the hull. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I feel like this is not the first time we've gotten multiple different responses to Star Trek related questions from different listeners named Jim, do the gyms all track?
Speaker 2: Maybe? So? All right? This next one is more of a general or related response. This one comes to us from Lee Lee wrights in and says the following, Hello, Rob, Joe, and JJ, just listen to the first episode regarding ancient ores. Having spent summers on camp staff during high school and college, one of the subjects I taught was rowing. What you were saying about these types of rowing locks was correct. Our boats had the open type, basically a U shaped rest for the oars. They really don't facilitate keeping the oars in the boat. This is never more evident than during a class of ten or more twelve to sixteen year old boy scouts, many of which whom have never been in a boat. The technique of turning the blade of the ore so that it is parallel to the water surface is called feathering. Yes, it cuts wind resistance, but it can also allow the blade to skim the top of an errant wave in rough water. Pinlocks fix the ore to the boat. Like you said, this could provide an advantage to ancient seafares by not requiring a multitude of spares should ores fall overboard. The trade off might be some speed. Looking forward to the next episode, Sincerely.
Speaker 3: You know one thing we didn't get into.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe you read about this in that book you were reading, Rob but about whether spare ores would have been the thing in the war galleys of the ancient Mediterranean, So like if you're on a trirem and you drop your ore into the ocean. In fact, I don't even even know if that's possible. Maybe they were secured to the boat in some way with a pin like Lee is talking about. I don't know, But did they carry spares? I know one of the techniques I read about in addition to ramming the hull of the boat was to sort of go against the side of the boat and try to shear its oars off. So if that happened, did you have spars on board to, you know, to kind of quickly try to replace the ones you'd lost.
Speaker 2: This is a great question. I'm going to have to bust out the ancient mariners and see if case gets into it or not. But yeah, it seems like you would run the risk if not losing them, because in theory, you'd have a pretty crack team here that would not lose their oars. This would not be the twelve to sixteen year old boy scouts. I've never been in a boat, but in a combat scenario. Certainly it seems like you, yeah, you could get splintered oars, broken oars, and then what are you going to do in order to restore your power? Or is it one of those situations where again you're getting into that calculus of not weighing the boat down and you're just kind of going with all right, we just need to make sure that it's as you know, that everything is optimized as much as possible, and you're gonna have to worry about splintered ores when and if that occurs. All right.
Speaker 3: This next message is from yet another gem, the Gym's overfloweth. This is subject line Rowboat mosh Pit. Listening to your episodes on rowing and wanted to let you know that I discovered that some of the audience for Viking metal bands will often sit down on the ground and row on mass and then Jim attaches several videos of this taking place. I watched one of these. It's at a concert of the melodic death metal band Amon m Arth. I don't know if I'm saying that right, but they're like a I think a Swedish melodic death metal band.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm not familiar with them.
Speaker 3: The name of the band is the name of Mount Doom from Tolkien in like one of the languages of Tolkien.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just pulled up some of these videos as well. I was not familiar with this, but as someone who often likes certain types of metal but has never ever wanted to be in a mosh pit, I applaud this. Yes, this is a far better situation for someone like me like I would rather be in there pretending to row a boat.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. Yeah, so you're pretending to be in like a Viking galley instead of pretending to fight one another. Yeah. But to describe for those who can't see it for themselves, yeah, it's like, instead of a mash pit down on the floor in front of the stage, it has just tons of people lined up and they are pretending to row, and they're they're chanting row on the beat of the song as the band is playing. So yeah, again, much better than a fighting mashpit in my opinion. But this is really interesting to me because it's reverse engineering the idea of using the steady beat of a piece of music to time the power strokes on a war galley. So here they are recreationally rowing on the beat to enhance their enjoyment of music. And this makes me think about how something we didn't much get into in the episodes on these ancient oar ships was the idea of using music or drums to synchronize the rowing of the crew. In movies, these ships are often depicted with pounding drums. You know, they've got somebody with this big, tempany looking kind of drum just pounding up and down to keep everybody in sync. But I decided to check and see if that was truly the case, like, do we have evidence that ships had these drums like this? And apparently the answer is no, there is not much evidence for the use of drums. In fact, I found some evidence to the contrary. I was reading an article that had some reporting on experiments carried out by the Trirem Trust. To remember, Rob, you were talking about this in the episode. These were the people who built the Olympius, the floating hypothesis. Do you want to do a quick refresher on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The basic idea here being that we don't really know much for certain about the tryrems. We have, you know, very scant physical evidence. We have descriptions in ancient literature, but that's about it. So the idea was, well, let's take what we know, let's build this floating hypothesis. Let's try and build one based on the limited information, and at least then we have a starting point and we can test it out and then have these various disagreements and considerations about how much this differs from a possible reality.
Speaker 3: Right, And so one of the cool things about this ship again, we don't know that this is exactly how the ancient trirems worked, but it seems probably pretty close. And so they were able to run human experiments with it, like to not just test the structure, but to test how the operation of such a ship would work. And so they experimented with different ways of using music or sound to synchronize the crew. Now I read in this article that they used like electronic loudspeakers to synchronize the rowing strokes. But of course, you know, ancient Greek armies and ancient Phoenician armies and stuff would not have or navy excuse me, navies would not have had electronic speakers, of course, So like, how did they synchronize everyone? And the trials that they conducted found that drums as well as singing and read pipes were all ineffective. They did not really work to synchronize the crew, And strangely, the type of musical organization they found that worked the best was communal humming. Humming was the best way. Humming by the whole crew, everybody humming together was the best way to synchronize rowers without modern technology, and it improved ship velocity by more than ten percent.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I mean, I guess the thing about humming is pretty much everybody can do it. I guess I say that with the confidence of someone who's not researched it. There may be people who cannot hum, but I don't know. It makes a lot of sense to me. And of course you don't need to drag some drums or any additional even so much as a reed flute aboard the vessel. At that point, it's the internal instrumentation. And I mean, and again it ties directly into the human engine powering the thing.
Speaker 3: But to come back on the other side, in this article, they quote a scholar who we talked about in The Warship's episode named Boris Rankov, who is a classic scholar and was involved in the creation and also works as like a rower he's like a trained oarsman, but worked on the Trireme Trust and Rankov says, humming worked really well in the experiments, but there's no literary record of that actually happening in history, so this is not something we're told that the ancient Greeks ever did. Fascinating to think about, though, like why humming as a group would work better than a drum beat a or you know, general singing or music.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, I wonder if if we get there's an episode in that, you know, we could come back and do episode on humming. I think we did one on whistling. Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, where we talked about like whistle languages and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bookmarkt for later. Yeah, all right, let's see. Here's the here's another one dealing with our episodes on burning hair. This one comes from John. John says, Hello, Robert, Joe, and JJ. I have a couple of childhood memories that I thought might be worth sharing. First, regarding aliens, Note this was a long time ago, in any part of this memory could be flawed. I remember, as an adolescent reading a comic about alien xenomorph exterminators and presumably these are these are human exterminators, by the way, who infiltrated and destroyed it there the Xenomorph's colonies. As I understood it, aliens only responded to a specific scent that humans released when they are afraid. So the characters in the comic book took a drug that completely numbed their ability to experience fear and could then flamethrow their way through the alien colony with essential no resistance. Once they'd been on the job for a while, they stopped taking the drug because they didn't feel any fear anymore even without it. I always thought it was a cool and extreme version of fake it till you make it. Doesn't sound cannon, but I enjoyed the idea of it. Wow.
Speaker 3: Interesting that there's just like so much secondary expanded alien universe lore that I have no idea of, and I feel like I'm like an alien super fan, but I only really know like the Core movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's tons of it in the comic books, various novelizations. I was recently kind of getting up to speed on some of the recent novels that have come out, and some of them are pretty well regarded, so I don't know, I have to dig deeper. If anyone out there has a favorite write in, I'd love to hear from you. But yeah, I also agree that this may not be canon, but it's an interesting concept, like the sort of concept that you could imagine working outside of the Alien franchise. You know, is sort of an analysis of fear.
Speaker 3: Well, it kind of reminds me of something that shows up in like some vampire movies, where like the vampire repellent properties of a cross are only effective if the person wielding it has faith or something. Yeah, I know it's like that in Fright Night, but I think it's like that in some other media as well.
Speaker 2: All right, anyway, he continues here. Secondly, regarding burning hair, I have a memory of returning to a family friend gathering after going outside to light the grill and being accused of having put on mascaro while I was out. Turns out I had sinned my eyelashes, leading them to look really thick. I seem to recall whenever I saw hair burn, it always left a bulb on the end of the hair. Anyway, you know how they say you shouldn't use gasoline to light a grill. Uh huh, Well you really shouldn't use gasoline to relight a grill that's still pretty hot. I'm pretty sure that using gasoline was fairly common practice in my household. Who but I don't think i'd ever tried it in a re lighting scenario. I poured the gas on and nothing happened. So I lit a match and whoosh, the fumes lit up ediately from a good distance away. Lesson learned. Thanks for the insightful and thought provoking podcasts as always, Hi, Renata, yours John.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this listener John has gives a shout out to another friend who's a listener, Renata, who also writes.
Speaker 2: In a lot Well, definitely, yeah. Take John's advice here, and please do not use gasoline to start your fires.
Speaker 3: In fact, I don't even for less danger related reasons. I don't even recommend using lighter fluid as a great way to start a grill. The chimney starters are great if you're doing a charcoal grill. They work fantastic. It's the best way to go.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't do a lot of charcoal grilling, but when I do, I use the tower and it works and it's fast and he can depend on it. So no flammable liquids are required. Yeah, I mean you got to be safe with those two obviously, but we.
Speaker 3: Think anything that's on fire, yeah, but limit your dangers well. To clarify apart from safety considerations, I would also just say that in my experience, I feel like lighter fluid can sometimes kind of impart some unpleasant aromas.
Speaker 2: To the food.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Jimny starter a little bit of newspaper in the bottom.
Speaker 2: You're golden. Can you dig it? Can you dig it? Can you dig it? Can you dig it? Can you dig it?
Speaker 3: Okay, we do have a lot of messages still to get to, but Carney, our mailbot is over here, just repeatedly asking in a digitized voice whether or not we can dig it, And so I think we are being asked to proceed to the Warriors' responses. All right, all right, This first message is from Maxim. Maxim says, Hello, Robert and Joe. First of all, thank you for all the excellent content and all your shows in various forms. I only casually tune into Weird House as I am only a mild cinophile, But when you're doing The Warriors, I am down like Charlie Brown during your most recent Weird House episode about The Warriors, you made a statement about how the film seems to take place in a slightly alternate world, a not quite New York, New York. I think you missed an interesting comparison John Wick.
Speaker 2: Ah, I didn't think about this, and I've only seen the first John Wick movie.
Speaker 3: Oh same here. I've also only seen the first one, so I from what I understand, I think the lore gets more complex as it goes on. Okay, anyway, Maxim continues, Not only is John Wick four an obvious homage to The Warriors, with everything from a DJ calling out the local Paris gangs to attack Wick too the final duel at Sunrise, but I also think that an argument could be made that both films exist in the same grungy universe. If we accept that both John Wick and The Warriors happened in the same universe, then The Warriors is not just an excellent cult classic, it is cemented as a John Wick prequel. Was Cyrus trying to join the High Table? I don't know what that is. I assume that's a John Wick thing where the Gangs of New York looking to elevate their service. Was this the origin of the League of assassins that exist in john Wick. Was john Wick one of the orphans? Or if we really want to get crazy, is john Wick the love child of Swan and Mercy. This is the crossover experience we need, far more than any DC Marvel multiverse shenanigans. Just wanted to share my thoughts and see what you thought about this potentially better than Marvel ip crossover. Also, are there any other films you think might fit into this shared universe theory? Ooh, thanks Maxim. I wish I could comment on this more having more john Wick knowledge, but I just haven't made it to the rest of those movies yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, saying I only saw the first one, he Avenged his Dog, and I thought it was over, but I guess there was more story to tell there.
Speaker 3: I've been assured that nothing bad happens to a dog in the other movies, because that was kind of hard for me to get past than the first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I guess having not seen the other john Wick movies, I'm also reminded of some other movies that I haven't seen any of, and that being the Purge movies. On the surface, Again, as someone who has not watched them. It seems like the Purge shares like some similarities with the Warriors universe in the sense that, I don't know, you have a like a slightly alternate reality affecting the way a lot of street level crime is going down. I don't know. I was thinking about that because I did just watch the new twenty twenty four movie Jackpot that has Aquafina and John Cena in it, which I thought was an amusing viewing, you know, pretty fun movie, but gets into some of those ideas, like, you know, those sort of what if scenarios that end up having defining what the street level violence looks like.
Speaker 3: I think the fact about the Warriors universe that would be most important to fit with another universe is the fact that the Bangs each wear costumes. That's like the core difference is that this is a world where it's just normal to have a gang dressed up as mimes and a gang dressed up as baseball players. That's like, that's a particular kind of alternate universe, not totally implausible in reality, it's just not our reality. So what does that fit with I'm not exactly sure, but it's close. Oh and just one more thing to add on to a maxim's email. Here Marcus wrote in with overlapping subject matter to say John Wick four pays homage to the Warriors, with the radio DJ using the same message, showing only the tight shot of the mouth and says, obviously it's not like Lynn Thigpen as she's no longer with us, but this this DJ is announcing the increasing award on the on the hit for John Wick throughout the movie. So it sounds like this is an open, conscious play on the Warriors, not just slightly similar.
Speaker 2: Interesting, all right, there's another one. This comes to us from Andrew. Andrew writes and it says, Hi, Robert, Joe and JJ has always great work. While I like to enjoy your core episodes on my commute, tuning into Weird House Cinema has become my favorite part of Friday Night, your recent discussion of The Warriors struck an interesting chord for me. You briefly mentioned the two thousand and five video game adaptation, but didn't spend much time on it. That makes sense for a movie podcast, but it's worth noting that the game was very well received in its time and has been subsequently re released on newer consoles over the years. While the film is rightfully considered a cult classic, I suspect most people my age are younger who are familiar with the Warriors came to it through the game instead, And this makes sense. I think we mentioned it was like a Rockstar Games release, so you know, we've seen a lot of older film franchises re explored through video games, but this would have been a rock Star game. This would have been a big and I was just kind of out of gaming, I think at that time, and not really plugged into what was happening. You know.
Speaker 3: We were just chatting about it in the episode, and it struck me as kind of strange in the moment that they would adapt a game from a movie that was like twenty five or thirty years old and not like a recent release. That just seemed like a weird thing to me. But then the more I thought about it, I was like, oh, I guess that's not all that unusual. In fact, one of my favorite movies and favorite video games has been like that. Alien Isolation is like a recent console, a recent generation video game adaptation, not adaptation of the first Alien movie, but it's basically a game sequel to the original Alien from seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I believe they did have DLC for it where they brought back I think pretty much all the living cast from the first Alien movie to do voices, and you had like the you know in Nostromo scenario to play out. I never actually played it. I guess I've got it on the system there. I should fire it up, But I only played through the core game.
Speaker 3: I know what you're talking about. From what I recall. That was not like a like a full game length, story driven kind of thing. It was more kind of like a little mini mini game or something.
Speaker 2: Well even better, I'd have less time these days of light times, so if it's short, I'm in all right anyway. This lister Mail continues talking about the Warriors video game adaptation from two thousand and five. Plot Wise, it starts earlier than the film, but catches up about halfway through. From there, it's essentially a playable version of the movie, hitting the same story beats and taking the player through the same set pieces. Having watched the movie sometime after playing through it, it's easy to see how naturally the game evolved from the film, which was on some level just a string of combat encounters. You also mentioned the need for more movies with uniform street gangs, and it made me think of one of my favorites, twenty tens Boon Raku. Like The Warriors, it features a few bands of well coordinated Ruffians and an escalating series of fights. Stylistically, it feels alternatingly like a stage play, a comic book, and a video game, but it all hangs together pretty well. It's also got a pretty stack cast, including Woody Harrelson, Demi Moore, Josh hartnett, Ron Peerlman, and the absolutely incomparable vocal talent of Mike Patton. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but it is deeply, delightfully weird. I recommend it. Thanks as always for all your hard work, Andrew.
Speaker 3: You know I looked up a few screenshots from this movie, and a couple of them kind of reminded me of another movie from years ago now that I enjoyed, which was Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle, which does have some vaguely uniformed gangs in it. I think we only ever see two, and one of them we only see at the very beginning of the movie. So primarily there's only one gang in the film, but it struck me as the kind of universe where I don't know, if they were to make more Kung Fu Hustle movies, there would be there could be more gangs that had weird uniforms, like a gang of mimes would fit in in that world. Okay, I'm gonna round things off with a part of an email from our listener, Jeff. This is a great email, but it's very long, gets into a lot of different stuff from different episodes, So I'm just gonna mention a couple of things from the beginning of it. Jeff says, Hey, guys, when I was listening to Joe explain that the distinct smell of burning hair is caused by sulfur, my first thought was, I'm made of sulfur. What the heck am I eating that's full of sulfur. I didn't recall ever seeing a sports drink advertised now with more sulfur, or being told to eat a banana because it's full of healthy sulfur. But then I thought about the smell of rotting eggs and asparagus pa and quickly realized I must be consuming sulfur. Every Day, thanks to the listener for explaining the connection to amino acids. This is a reference to a previous Listener Mail episode in which our correspondent Ahmed got into the sulfur bonds that can be found in the amino acid cysteine, and that the breaking of these bonds is responsible for these sulfur smells that are released when you burn certain types of proteins and things like that. But anyway, Jeff also says, regarding pop culture representations of Ninja's I wanted to call attention to the nineteen eighty eight arcade Beat Them Up game Bad Dudes Versus Dragon Ninja. It's got a self aware amusing eighty's motif, and to the extent that there was a plot. The game explains quote this is in all caps. By the way, rampant ninja related crimes these days. White House is not the exception. Once you start the game, it asks President Ronnie has been kidnapped by the ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue Ronnie? And then after that, Jeff says, you just start hitting and kicking everything that moves. I remember this, though I remember the words differently. I believe you that you're correct to Jeff. I remember it as like, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President?
Speaker 2: Wow? I don't remember this one at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder if there were different versions it was there one that was specifically Ronnie and another one that's like, let's not name drop him, let's just call it the President.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: And also at the end of Jeff's email, there's a digression about the theme music to Mortal Kombat, which we talked about extensively in the Weird House Cinema episode on the movie from the nineties, and Jeff says the Mortal Kombat theme was one of his go to albums for doom slash quake land parties. I guess this would be in the nineties. I can only imagine the vibes. It sounds like Mountain dew and Dorito's.
Speaker 2: All part of a balanced diet. But thank you so much, Jeff. All Right, well, we're going to go ahead and close up the mail bag here today. Thank you Carney the mail Bot for helping us with this. Hall We'll be back in the future. For the time being, we're going to continue with this schedule. Kind of gives us a little breather. In between some of our multi episode series a chance to catch up in that regard and then also allow the mail bag to accumulate. So in the meantime, feel free to write in though if you hear a new episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind or Weird House Cinema that you have thoughts on you want to provide some feedback right in, We'll read it and we might just include it on a future episode of listener mail. And yeah, and if you have ideas about what future episodes of our core episodes you should consist of you have topic suggestions, write in those are fair game as well. And hey, if you have thoughts in an old episode right in as well. We would love to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.