Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 3: Yo, top of the Players Lounge. The final week of the regular season, the final week the Cowboys is there? They're done? After this week? Is they get ready to face the Washington Common? Is Dallas week? Up there?
Speaker 2: Dallas?
Speaker 3: Are they gonna play?
Speaker 2: Are they gonna play Daniels in the book because they clitched?
Speaker 3: Heck Harrison is here, former Cowboys safety Barry Church, Newie Scrugs, So yeah, man, woof, I'll find out what they're gonna do. But what if the Cowboy's gonna do Jerry Jones on his rail? Sure they would not commit about what what happened with Trey Lance a quarterback. For me, that's frustrating. I don't know about you. That's frustrating to me because there's nothing left to play for now. You've got one game left and the bulk of what we've seen from Trey Lance is the preseason. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: When do we get to the point where we just be real with ourselves and say that that was a mistake. I mean, whether it was a bargainingship for negotiations with Dak or not, you traded a fourth form. They brought him in, they got an opportunity to see what he had, and at the end of the conclusion of that was this guy can't help us. Dak's been gone for a very long time now, And if there was gonna be a trey Lance opportunity, you would have thought, in between Mike trying to save himself and everything else, if there was anything there, you would.
Speaker 2: Have seen some trey Lance by now. I mean, am I It just helped me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be under the illusion that they're saving him for something.
Speaker 3: Just disillusioned by the whole thing. I mean, I mean, you think about it. Mingos had more opportunity, Mingo, that's facts, Mingo. Mingo has been out there. Who he got playing? Who had that in a losing season? I mean, you're seventy nine. Jeff Fisher will say that's seventy nine. You know on that seventy nine got no chance, And and we don't know. This dude is still you know, it's like the unwrapped Christmas get sitting there. We're gonna do something with it. I mean, I don't I don't understand in this day and age of roster acquisition and trying to take peaks and looking at people to play the man. But Jerry didn't want to say anything it, which is amazing. Didn't want to get away a game play. That's wow to me because you basically traded a fourth rounder, you know, for a practice squad player. Because if we looking at it and we keep it in a being like we always do on this show, you know, the most reps Trey Lance has been having is just being a scout team.
Speaker 2: Quarterback throwing up preseason.
Speaker 3: And I'm with you on this newie. Like we we saw what we got from Cooper Rush. We understand what we got from Cooper Rush. Solid quarterback can be the bus driver when he got a full you know, arsenal people around him. He could be that good backup in a pinch, right in an emergency. So we know what we got from Cooper Rush. Why not just you got nothing to lose, Just throw Rush out there, not Rush Lance out there, and see what he can provide. You may like what you see when he has, you know, an officive line and some guys out there, and he's not playing with threes and fours like we saw in the preseason. So to me, I'm with you, Newie, just just throw the man. You have nothing zero zero to lose. Not gonna lose the locker room by putting him out there. This is the last game of the season, you know what I'm saying. So just go out there and see what he has and maybe, just maybe you get a glimpse of Oh man, this dude can can do a little something. Mike at the very least. Mike has talked numerous times in his postgame press his press conference is about he just needs to play. Yeah, I played a lot of football, Okay, So if he hasn't played a lot of football and you're on that seventy nine, boo, not the job. Play him, get him getting some reps. Now. I don't want to sound blasphemous when I say this or say that he's at this level at all, but if it's one thing we've learned last year and even something this year, Sometimes teams make mistakes and quarterbacks can develop over time, Sam Donald, Baker Mayfield. I'm not saying he's even gonna be that because Sam Donald was, you know, he played with the Jets, and Baker Mayfield played when he was in Cleveland. This young man hasn't played. I'm just trying to understand, what are we doing? Yeah? Maybe heck ma, that's the whole thing. What are we doing?
Speaker 4: When you make a mistake, man, sometimes it's just better to cut bait. And maybe it was a mistake. I mean, just from a business perspective, I don't even look at it as football. Look, I have to renegotiate a contract. So what do I do I bring in a guy's that bargainship against this contract that I'm negotiating. It didn't go the way that you thought it was going to go because you ended up paying Dak. You change the market at the quarterback position. You get him back here and there's a battle between him and him and Cooper Rush, and you see that Cooper Rush's leaps and bounds better than him. You go through the season and just to what you're saying, Barry, I think they've already had that.
Speaker 2: They've already given.
Speaker 4: Him that opportunity out here they've already seen it, you know, we've said it a practice and watched and seen the reps that they've been giving him. They obviously don't feel comfortable with going into a game with him at the Helmets quarterback. And if they don't feel that, where and if you made a mistake, okay, what I'm not okay with is doubling down on a mistake, you know, training another fourth round pick for a guy that that hadn't come in and had any production for you. That's what That's what my problem is, because you need that fourth this year with all the with everything that there is.
Speaker 3: You saw, we all saw where this was going. This was a tic. You saw this thing was going that seventy nine bo Yeah, and you gave away for me.
Speaker 2: You know you needed that form.
Speaker 3: So why is he talking about due he needs to play? What's to disconnect that? Because he's like, look, man, this man just needs some reps. So obviously the head coach is like, look I want to get him out there. Well, the head coach is trying to win some games. That's true, okay, trying to win games. And if whether or not he was coaching for Jerry coaching to go coach somewhere else that that's fine. Now we're at the end. We know he's over.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 2: You got to go home. But you gotta get.
Speaker 3: Seasons, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, believe it. So, so put the boy out there a little. But it was forty one and seven. Why wasn't he playing major minutes something? Okay, you out here watching Tanner from the other team. Tanner out here tagging people. Yet he was twenty five, dotted him up three or four. Let's looking like, hey, Rod, back in the day, he did look like previntage Romo. He did. He got people like me, accurate bat shoulders and all, oh my god, like gosh making stop their string should.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, so why isn't Trey playing. We're gonna watch Cooper come out here and do that. Frustrated frustrating because there's how much frustrating here and all this abou rico down.
Speaker 2: Man, I thought I was joking when y'all said that.
Speaker 3: I said, back home, I mean, you know, capit. Do we read the cowboy Twitter d in the name all of the one thousand yards, the first cowboy and drafted free agent to get that, God, thank you. Then you go fumble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some cookies, man, And I don't.
Speaker 3: Want to sound too disrespectful because I'm part of the undrafted crew as well, and you know his accomplishments coming from undrafted all that, because I get all that. But when we look at the tape, the eye in the sky doesn't lie. No, we've all seen it. And given the opportunities that he's had, he's made the most of his opportunities. But let's not fool ourselves here, man, we goo dawdle it. With all due respect, is not a special running back. He's not a game changer. He's not a guy that when you go into those pregame meetings and you know, Monday Tuesday looking at fielm He's not a guy that the coaches are circling saying, hey man, we got to know where number twenty three.
Speaker 2: Is at all times.
Speaker 3: He's just not that guy. He's a good maybe chaine of pace or if your man guys needs a breather, he can go in there and keep the ship afloat, but he's not a difference maker when it comes to the offensive side of the football.
Speaker 2: And it's to me, I hate saying this because it's one of one of your sayings and he's.
Speaker 3: A JAG's just a god at the running back position, and he's had a heck of a year for where he was where he was drafting orders. I get all that, but when you're looking at tape, you know, guys ain't sitting there saying.
Speaker 2: Man, we don't stop reco it's a rap.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. He's just not what you need.
Speaker 2: Offensively, and you need more pop out of the backfield.
Speaker 3: So when y'all, you know, got that question to chat, I'm like, oh, man, he's a free agents and you know I'm Steven and coming.
Speaker 4: Let him go be free, Let's see what Let's see what the market is for him. But barbaris, he's had four games of one hundred yards and that's what you're talking about. I think when you put your turn on the tape and you look this, I mean, I know, from the beginning of the season you can give excuses for those rookies on the offensive line and maybe not the balance that you wanted offensively, but he gave you. I think in watching Rico, you're like, wait a minute, man. You know I'm watching other running backs and I know the position. Well, you're just not that guy that I think is intimidating as you were talking about to other teams that hey, we got to scheme up for this dude to come in this game because the Cowboys got a running back back and bust for one hundred and fifty hundred and seventy.
Speaker 2: Change the game, and that's what we were needing.
Speaker 4: I think when you let Tony Pollard go, it's been this thought process over the running back room or in general all over the NFL that you could plug and play anybody, throw him in there, right, And I think that philosophy came that that went bad fast, That did not age well, right, because now you're seeing guys like Saquon. Now you're seeing guys like dere Herry, you're seeing Jacobs, You're seeing all these teams that have short up their running back room, and oh, by the way, they are headed into the playoffs with you know what I'm saying, you have something to lean on when you watch a when you watch a Detroit. Last night, I'm watching Detroit and I'm like, man, damn, they lost their other guy. But Gibbs, I got a guy, right, They got another guy right behind him. And we're in a situation right now. I mean even if you think about the thousand yards that he's gone for. Heck, if we lost him, think about where the season would have gone. And I do believe he was inactive for one game this season.
Speaker 2: Correct. I want to say so yeah, was brought up. I want to say absolutely, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Cut his dreads, Dreds came back. So it's been one of those kind of years, bro.
Speaker 2: So it's been one of those.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna throw this out now, I say this, I'm gonna throw this out here. That's right, I'm just gonna throw this out here in the fairness world, Okay, fair fairness. Rico Dalal is tied for thirteenth and rushing with Najie Harris Pittsburgh, former Pittsburgh Steeler, a former first round pick for Steelers one thousand and seven yards. They both have at twelve with one thousand and seventeen yards is ten more yards Tony Pollard sound by right, both have played fifteen games, and ahead of them all right now is Bucky Irving one thousand and thirty three yards and Bucky, of course is the guy that they could have taken in the fourth round but they did not. Bucky Irving with seven touchdowns, Tony Pollard with five touchdowns, Rico Dada with one touchdown, Naji Harris with five touchdowns. And the numbers that Rico have are more than Joe Mixon, more than Jared Cook, more than Alvin Kamara. So just just throwing more than Breese Hall of the Jets. So just throwing it out there, more than Brian Robinson of Washington who's only playing I would say thirteen games, Yes, played thirteen, but I would still take every single one of those backs, especially single one of those backs. I would take over a young Rico Daddle.
Speaker 4: It's funny, man, you say Najia Harris because I'm watching still a football. He's another one of those guys that's just what what do you I mean? Come on, man, bus yo, that's the whole go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. He just does a lot of dancing behind the you know, it's.
Speaker 3: A lot of timid, a lot of d dancing back then thirty.
Speaker 4: So that's like when I see that drives me crazy when I watch a running back do that and and Le'Veon Bell, God bless him wherever he is right now getting knocked out some yeah. Right, But he was one of those running backs that really used to frustrate me the way like they call, Oh, he's such a patient run I'm like, no, he's timmy tiptoeing.
Speaker 2: You know, he's being timmy. He's not in the hole.
Speaker 4: And you know, to finally see at this point in the season that part of Rico's games, somebody got put the bug in his ear and said, man, you gotta stop doing that a running back coach. For you've been pointing that out a lot, you know, and you've been talking about that, and I think, look, regardless my grandmother's quote, just can't make chickens out of chicken salad. No matter how good of a coach you are, sometimes sometimes it comes down to the talent that.
Speaker 2: You have in the room.
Speaker 3: I don't think they've improved the position since Skip Pete left there, And you go look at Tempa Bay and what Tampa Bay has done since Skip Pete got there in that running back room. Coaching matters that room overall. Jerry Jones missed on as the general manager. Bringing Ezekiel Elliott back was a was a mistake. Even with the rest of his camp. We westerned for the rest of the year for the final push. No, no, that was bad. The Dalvin Cook thing that was bad, the Hunter Lipkey thoughts I had that was bad. The whole room just underwhelming. And knowing that, Derrick Henry was like, had me pick me, pick me, and you said no, you gave up your fourth, which could have been Bucky Irvy, who's got a bright future in Tampa Bay. This was this room was a miss, big time, big time miss. And as much as they wanted to invest in Dak Prescott, you look at Dak Prescott's best year, you look at Tony Romo's best year happened when he had a run game, a good god a run game and a good offensive line, and you don't have that, and they gotta fix that, man, they have to fix that. I'm not for taking Ashton Genty in the first round from Boise State. I'm just not good running back. But I don't think he's a Brahma bull. When I think if you just will take somebody in the first round, I need it. I need the Ezekiel Elliott image. I need a bull, need Brahma bull. Three down guy. Don't need nobody else with boom. It's him, he him. That's not what what Ashton gent is not not at his best in my opinion, And you talk people, I talk, and then what what skip? Pet was so ahead of the curve in this when you when you talk about coaching, he when we used to sit down and talk, you know, when I was playing, he used to always tell me, you got your lead dog, but you always gotta have that kind of mixture of backs. And when you look at you know, teams this year outside of you know Sequon, who even has a great you know backup in Kenneth game. Well you look at all these you know, big time rant teams. They always got the one two comma. You know, Detroit got the Sonic and Knuckles.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Even in Derrick Henry Justice Hill is a good change of pace out there. Tampa Bay were skipped pizza. Now, man, they got trio of backs out there that can all give you a thousand yards and that keeps.
Speaker 2: That that run game fresh. So I mean, it's just wild that he was, you know, let go here because he was so ahead of the curve.
Speaker 3: And you think about every running back that was underneath him always had kind of a career year, whether it was out of the backfield, receiving, running the combo to two man, he was such a hell of a coach and he was so ahead of his curve, man that the NFL is a copycat league. And at some point when everybody started saying, well, you know, you don't need a running back, and you're starting to see Kansas City win with guys you know, maybe.
Speaker 4: But what happens when you get to the playoffs. Nobody mentions when you get to the playoff of what Kansas City was doing with those just guys. Andy Reid was exposing teams in the running game, and that's now. But check on one hunt, come on, that's that's what I'm pointing now. And you're a first rounder on Clyde Edwards.
Speaker 3: And he knows how. And he's going to the Hall of Fame for a reason, going to Hall of Fame for the reason. But hey, look you you you got rid of Skip Peete, Mike McCarthy, you got rid of Skip Peek, and you did not improve the position. You hired a buddy. You hired your buddy who was the assistant O line coach who never played, who never played the position. Uh, you know, at the level of Skip p had played just and even just coaching Watse, Skip was better like the professor. Okay, this professor was better than that professor here and the running backs have complained about they have complained. And if Mike is allowed to come back Jerry Amen, that guy. No, if you want your friends to stay, put him someplace else. It's kind of like what they did with Judd Garrett. Wow, come on, man.
Speaker 2: Here to Jay.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I mean friends, and we're gonna hire the next thing in the scouting department somewhere.
Speaker 2: But can't say this.
Speaker 4: Mike McCarthy has been willing to make changes. He has been willing to make change.
Speaker 3: To running back position. Some people talk about the wide receiver us out there. We need to take our break with Maharrison, former Cowboys safety Beary Church and players not brought to by Aristocrat gaming right here, Dallas Cowboy, Hey.
Speaker 6: Their Cowboys Nation. Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team, play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat. A. Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys gambling problem. Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 8: Prescott kitsch it slid for the first down.
Speaker 7: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 8: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites. And a full sized intense therapy witball make a play for the playmaker at Getjack black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys to the players Lounge.
Speaker 2: Cowboy Nation.
Speaker 4: Amanda Foster has been named your twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. For Amanda to be named your Ultimate NFL Fan of the Year at NFL dot com Slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 3: YO appreciate that it's Hackmy Harrison got buried. Church restrictions.
Speaker 2: Last getting dropped? Can this brought to you by.
Speaker 3: What if I three the fan. Jerry Jones had his show today, Jerry Jones Show. Sea Sharief and Bobby Belt did their best to ask Jerry about bringing Mike McCarthy back. Mike wanted to be noncommittal. I don't get this. I don't get this. Say on one hand he's done a good job and you like this, that and the other then you say you don't want to say something either way. Look, Miam mccart's free agent chgo.
Speaker 2: He will have some suitors.
Speaker 3: I really think New Orleans could be a good spot for him from the standpoint used to coach down there. They've got got talent, got some quarterback needs. Issues to places where where car can get better, and you got to sprints of rattler I think can be developed. I think he could work well with Gail Been to the Mickey Loomis. That's just my opinion. So I think Mike. I think Mike McCarthy will be coaching in the National Football League, whether it's for in twenty twenty five, don't know whether it's for the Cowboys, but I think he will be coaching somewhere. Just my opinion. Twelfth all time and wins. I mean this is a guy who is a proven winner in this league, who's won a Super Bowl. And if it's not good enough for Jerry, Lord knows he's better than what he was, better than Dennis Allen over show, better than coach flues your boy there. I wanted better for my boy decisions some self afflicted woulds. Yeah, so you know Mike could could improve there, But heck, where are you standing right now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: When I think about it, really, Mike McCarthy from that twenty twenty class of coaching hires, it's him and Kevin Stefanski that are still coaching. And you look at both of their records. I mean, Kevin Stefanski doesn't have a better record than Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy's forty nine to thirty four and it's time here at the Cowboys. But you don't hear anybody talking about Kevin Stefanski. And maybe they're whispers, but it ain't. The drum beat ain't as loud as it is here in Dallas. I think the one thing right he did, and I think three twelve and five seasons didn't earn him a Coach of the Year award. Kevin Stefanski only won one playoff victory. Does a sound familiar? I mean, I'm just I'm just going down this rabbit hole of what we when we do a comparison of all these coaches together in the brain trust of who's a genius in who's not. I just I think Mike has been solid and what he's having a bad year. Nobody's gonna give him an excuse for the injuries or any of that. But I just come back to what I've been hearing all season. What bothered me about the interview was when he was when when Jerry was asked, did that impact your team in any way him coming into the season on a one year deal? And and he didn't think that it did. And I was like, how could it not have How could it not have impacted your star players? How could it not have impacted your rook any of the guys that are just looking for that synergy and normalcy in the NFL, which you guys talk about all the time, the routine of the NFL, and maybe you can ignore the press, Clippers, maybe you can ignore social media and all of that, but it's all around you. Now you know, is he gonna be? And this I think, when did that start. It started in training camp. Mike is coaching for his job, and when is it gonna start the clock the countdown to Mike? I mean, and people almost like after one the Detroit game is might gonna be back, you know, a forty five minute delay to the podium, like, oh my god, is it today? You know today it's to day to day here, And I mean, wait, you know it's it's stuff like that that I think really kind of throws me off.
Speaker 2: But when look is he staying? Is he going?
Speaker 4: That's been the roller coaster that we've enjoyed here all the way going through this season. Look, man, he got three more days, no matter what, he has three more days Sunday at about three o'clock. Man, he's going to be a free man. The decision is ultimately gonna be on him. What he's gonna do. What I like for Mike to come back and finish the job and get this team. I really would, I really would. I've already I've gone on the record. I've said it. I think he got a bad rap this year, and I think I thought he's got a bad rap all along.
Speaker 2: Will that happened?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I really am at a place where I can't solidly say oh yeah, yeah, yeah, he'd be back. You know I haven't, right, I am, I am, And you know we talked about it. Was it last week or a week ago? You know, I've changed my tune as well.
Speaker 3: You know, I've dived into the keeping keeping big mic around because coming from a player standpoint, like you said, it's it's hard to kind of drown out all the outside no, especially now when you see it on all the shows and social media and you're thinking to yourself, Man, is this you know, coaches last goal around and if he's gone, they're not gone with him? Are they gonna bring me back? Like you know, especially if you're you're a draft pick of Mike McCarthy. That all comes in into it as well. So you're thinking about a whole bunch of different things. But to me, when I look at it, you gotta look at what the players want. At the end of the day, I understand you don't.
Speaker 2: We don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Look to the Raiders want Antonio periods. That's true, that's true. But I feel like the Cowboys in a different situation than the Raiders. They got their franchise quarterback they got the pieces. They just had a little bit of injury issues to this year, I give him that they had some injury. You lost Micael for a couple of games, Dak was out of there, CD was injured. You know, you had a lot of injuries. So I understand from that standpoint that they did want Antonio Pierce back and it didn't go as well as you know, the players thought that it would go in that situation.
Speaker 2: But when you look at McCarthy in his situation, what he's.
Speaker 3: Been able to do, losing Dak Prescott multiple seasons, still being able to ride this ship and give this team an opportunity with Cooper Rush out the hell all right, and not only that a couple years ago when he was able to do it, but this year Cooper Rush went.
Speaker 2: Out a lot of the pieces.
Speaker 3: They were still in contention, they still had winning streets up until that Cincinnati game and it kind of kind of fumbled from there.
Speaker 2: But you gotta see what these players are doing on the football field.
Speaker 3: You know, they say a lot of stuff in the media and all this, that and the third, but what what do they produce on the football field. You know, I'm with it because I see what the players want and what they respond. He has never lost the locker room, and it could have been gone Jayne Garrett never lost the locker room, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, that could tell I know a man that could tell us.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you never lost all right, so we're not Gary, I'm sorry, Macarthy never lost it. When we come back professional, I'm gonna tell you why you need to think again.
Speaker 2: Oh man, switched up owners.
Speaker 3: The scientists a scientist. I will be the prosecutor politician, and the preachers come to you as a scientist based on I can't believe it. A conversation with a former cowboy who made me think again. Why can't just jump on the wagon. You two just jumped on right now. We'll do that next.
Speaker 2: That's what I see.
Speaker 3: Hass on all y'all, dang Man, the Wolverings beat Clemson or not Clemson Alabama right time.
Speaker 2: H Chris, you got us in the Hey, Danny mccraig, here for smoothie king.
Speaker 5: You know, every great workout deserves a great reward, So treat yourself right with new Coconuts smoothie bowls made with real fruit crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola creamy coconut and top with the chocolate, hazel nut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and the workout buddy, so you both can stay on track even after you leave the track. Scoop up new coconuts smoothie bowls only a Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my hand cramp and cold. That's where Yetti's insulated colster cane cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. Yetti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty four NFL season, Boss teamed up with the Cowboys and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection, The Boss Cowboys collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Arriving just in time for the start of the season, the distinctive attire from the latest Boss Cowboys expansion offers sports officionados and true bosses the chance to show their team spirit and style. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss Hugo Boss dot com and Boss retail stores hashtag be your Own Boss.
Speaker 8: Raisin Caines presents the other rules of Football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to order Canes chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkled cut fries, texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation.
Speaker 2: And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game.
Speaker 8: Face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules raising Cane's chicken fingers one love Go.
Speaker 1: Cowboys to the players Lounge.
Speaker 4: The Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, presented by Nationwide, recognizes players who do so much more both on the field and in the community.
Speaker 2: Help the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Number These Zach Martin raise funds for the National Medal of Honor Museum Foundation by casting your Charity Challenge vote on NFL dot com slash Man of the Year or a tweet or tweet your support using the hashtag wp moy Challenge. Voting ends on January the sixth. Vote for Zach.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Heck Maherson. Your Players launch brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming former Cowboys Safety Berry. Sure so you two are both saying, Mike mccarth that come on back today on Jerry Jones radio show on one to five three the Fan, he's noncommittal. I go back to two things. One nineteen eighty nine, when Jerry Jones bought this team was forty seven years old. Jerry Jones upset every Cowboy fan and the NFL establishment by firing Tom Landry and going and hiring Jimmy Johnson from the University of Mine. As bold a move as it gets. Right there, He's Gammy, don't make no money. That is facts, and Jimmy won two championships, won the first one within four years, setting up the team of the nineteen nineties. He won the championship since Barry Switzer held up that Trophy. Basically with all the players that Jimmy brought in here still had to coach. Yes, yes he did, because there's plenty of people who got talent and couldn't coach it up. So I always give Barry his credit for getting it done and doing that part. That was bold, Jerry.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: Now go back to when they didn't draft Johnny Manziel. Remember what he told Steven said that was by taking that Martin. That was a layup. I didn't buy the Dallas Cowboys come by laying up Bowld taking shots you bring back Mike mccarthury're laying up. This is not bold, Jerry. This is eighty one year old, Jerry, Is it not eighty two? That's what this is now. This is If Jerry does that, that's status quo. Okay, just one more try, Jerry, like you did after the Packer game. People thought about making a move. You didn't make a move. When there's Bill Belichick sitting out, here's Jim hardballt saying it was even your opportunity to hire Dan Quinn if you wanted to bowl. Jerry didn't act. It's okay, Jerry. Danny McCrae hit me this weekend.
Speaker 2: Man, I thought you.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you who the player was that hits you with me because I didn't want that player to be anonymous, say thank you, wanted the may He.
Speaker 3: Had to pull out. Man Paul basically said, Brian brought us. I get Brian broughtus former cowboy scout where he said, hey, man, sure job, there is a general. Maner's job to go find go find the answer. That's your job. Have a list, and Danny hit me with Packers, Eagles, Lions, Houston, Rams, Washington, Bucks, Vikings, Chargers all found answers. Not hard to take a chance. When I look at the Eagles, I can't stand Nicks here. I just don't like that dude. But he's been to the playoffs all four years. He's been there, he's been to a super Bowl. They fired Doug Peterson, who won them their only super Bowl. They decided, hey, Dougie, appreciate it, but we're gonna do something different. They didn't let him hang on for ten years. Thank you. The Packers fired Mike McCarthy Matt LeFleur. While he hasn't taken him to a super Bowl, he's been in a conversation Matt is a good football. Oh as we witnessed when he came in here in January and whooped that trick.
Speaker 2: Don't do not.
Speaker 3: More than two dollars today?
Speaker 2: He look.
Speaker 3: Hazing the Lions. Okay, the Lions went and hired Dan Campbell. I'll be the first take too. I saw that, prest like, come on, I was with you on that. What were we talking about?
Speaker 2: Caps?
Speaker 3: Stan Campbell has been a different They went differently. Houston brought it to me. Ko Ryans. Remember they had Lovey Smith fired after year. They had the other light skinned brother that came remembers they call well they had him like two seconds. He got the games and boy walked out for three four years. He ain't coached Alyxi. He needs I'm retired, done so, but you know they they did it. Okay to Miko. First year takes the play the Rams. Remember they high thirty four year old Sean McVay. I'll say it again, what are they doing? What are we doing? Sean McVay has got this team. They're about to win the division with all kinds of salary. He's won a super Bowl in Washington, d Q. They're the playoffs. The Buccaneers, Hi Todd Bowles. A lot of people about Todd Bowles could make the playoffs. Again, he's shown you that he is a dang good football coach. The Vikings Kevin O'Connor once again, I raised my head, what are you doing? He wouldn't call any players with the Rams. He was just there with McVay KAO see it good? Ain't good? They got Sam donald out there, got Sam Donalds out here. They might win the division this weekend. And then the Chargers Jim Harbaugh culture changers payoffs. So when we look here, we talk about just running it back with Mike mccarchthy other people who've gone on. Your job is to figure it out. I remember the last contract that Jerry gave Tony Romo. Jerry's basically saying, hey, look yeah, we're gonna sign Tony on the other option. You have to do it. I'm like, nah, man, it's your job to go find a quarterback. They did find a quarterback in Dak Prescott. So should we just be laying up, gentlemen, or should you just sit around here say hey, other people are finding answers. Are we going to get eighty one year old Jerry? I'm okay, let's try it again or do I go get forty seven year old bowl Jerry, I agree with it, And then I also look back and I say, outside of you know, the Eagles with Doug Peterson, and there may be some other ones that I can't think of, but I feel like.
Speaker 2: Those teams were were very, very bad.
Speaker 3: Like they were like it wasn't like they had three straight twelve and five seasons like McCarthy's had. Now I could be wrong about that, but and I just think it with that much success and what he's been able to do with these injuries going on, like the way he had these kept his team and contention, I think that's extremely tough to just that's going in a different direction.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of success that he's had.
Speaker 3: Your boy with the Chargers had a lot of talent. People are like, hey man, this is and Jim harboum ma any difference. That was a bad coach though, but they remember the time was it was he and besides you and they both made the playoffs. I mean he he had Okay, there were people who thought the team had had talent whatnot and okay, so that but Doug Peterson was super Bowl coach. Even the clock ran out on him. Where the man we're just we're gonna go do something different.
Speaker 4: There's the there's the philosophy, no risk it, no biscuit. My man came up with that. Yeah, and Tampa, I think when you're hiring a coach, that's that's risky business for these NFL owners and they want a guy that how very many they bring in. They want to find out with these guys football fundamental beliefs are And if you look at it like investment investing in companies, you got to do a technical analysis. How solid is the company? I mean stocks there, I mean how big is the company, directors, all of those different things that you before you invest your money in it. And if you are a young investor, you'll go for a pink sheet stock. I can lose my money game up whatever. But as you get older, that don't appeal to you. People with money ain't gonna throw away no money on a penny stock. They're gonna go to something that's more established. You look around the NFL and with all those names that you're talking about, who's winning super Bowls, it's the established coach, It's the Andy Reid, it's the guy that's been there done that, saw that a thousand times over. That a guy that has a system in place. And so look, I'll give you for every Sean McVay, you know, foreverly, Tomlin, for every coach that's out there that has gotten an opportunity.
Speaker 2: There are also the patents of the world. There are so many coach just to me that I just feel like right.
Speaker 4: Now to throw away a good one or to say I don't have anything in this guy, in this system that he's running, I think that's a mistake.
Speaker 3: You had that opportunity and you passed on it last year with Belichick. Belichick, Harball, even if he wanted to go ahead after twelve or five seasons bringing Sean Payton. Peyton would have taken a job. It was out there and available.
Speaker 4: But even you said that those coaches right there, they may not be the guys that can come in here in Dallas and deal with the front office.
Speaker 3: Right, You're right, But at the same time, heck, what I'm just saying nothing, think again, hold side of my mass thinking again, maybe my belief in do it again, run it back. This year proved that I was wrong. Maybe five years that's half a decade. Ye, five years Doug Peterson where Philly was like, they didn't give him five eight years after we'd super Bowl. The man, thank you, and then what they do got back to super Bowl. Man, let's go ahead change some things here and do something different. Remember where the Lions were when they got Dann Campbell. Man, that thing was bad between so you can find it. So why we say, man, get somebody stade. We're seeing some folks who necessarily Jimmy Johnson was not established. Man, you too young, but bore. Remember man, what they doing is hit from Arkansas. This guy a college coach. You can't run that system here. You got big people in the East, Philly and Washington, the Giants, and you try to win with these little dudes and speed and man, they changed the game. Old Jerry changed the game. Wild Cat Jerry Glory. Hold Jerry change the game. Now you're telling me, hey, man, you're gonna be safe. You're being safe. Scared money, don't make no money. You just trying to protect what you got. But what do you really have because you haven't won anything in thirty years.
Speaker 4: It's dumb money, that's smart money. And I'm telling you, I think my belief is Mike McCarthy. As you talk to you said, thirteenth or twelfth winning this coach amongst the street.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's to me, that's smart money. That's smart money. You know, you know he passed by the way. Who was tied with right before?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 2: Sean Paynton?
Speaker 3: No, who, Jeff Fisher?
Speaker 2: Oh god, damn that board right right.
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.