Speaker 1: Hello, gorgeous, welcome to the Give Them La La Podcast. We had an intro and there was some technical difficulties and once we sent them over to our producer, the file was like nowhere to be heard. So here's the alternative. I'm literally sitting in Ocean's nursery giving you guys this intro. We have Jesse Metcalf on the podcast today, and I cannot be the only person that was obsessed with Desperate Housewives. I'm sure a lot of you guys were also obsessed, and you can also stream it now, so I'm sure that a lot of you, like myself, are going back and rewatching. It was like every Sunday night was Desperate Housewives and then Gray's Anatomy. It was just like what you did on Sunday. So we have him on the podcast today. We're going to pick his brain. I have a few questions for him, and we're going to skip vander Talk today because I slacked. I did not watch last night's episode. But hopefully next week we can recap two episodes in one I think that that would be a lot of fun, and I also really want to answer your guys' question, so please remember to call in call into the podcast. That number is eight six six La La Pod again, eight six six La La Pod. I always love hearing from you guys, answering whatever questions you have, and it just makes me feel like we're in a more intimate setting. The whole reason I started this podcast was so that we all could feel this like connection and bond and we could get closer to each other. So please reach out to me. And without further ado, we're going to cut to a quick break and we will be right back with the heart throb Jesse Metcalf. We are back with our epic guest, mister Metcalf.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jesse, that production I am.
Speaker 3: Well, we give Before before you came on, we gave you a very very warm welcome about your career and how great of a human you are in front of us.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you lied, Thank you. I have to all about appearances in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: The number one question I have is do you ever talk to Eva Longoria?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I run into Eva from time to time. We follow each other on social media, but we don't really talk. Okay, you know she's uh, you know, it's mom life over there with Eva right now, and she seems like she's an amazing mom, and I mean, I'm so impressed and proud of all the things she's done civically, socially, politically. You know, they say actors shouldn't shouldn't, you know, get involved with politics, and I tend to believe that what I'm saying, but you know, I think she's done some amazing things.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think politicians should be just that, not reality TV stars, not actresses.
Speaker 2: Politicians suck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Okay, whatever they want to do, who cares. I don't listen to a thing. They say, Well, Jesse, do your own thing, so let me. I'm just I'm just a pawn in the game.
Speaker 3: You too are, Yeah, So let's just back up the tape a little bit here. Just tell us like early days of your career, like how you got into you know, acting and then the big break and okay, because I've we've worked with you both Lalla and I in movies and different projects, but just kind of tell fans far back you want me to go, and just how you got into acting, how it started, and then how you got here in your first big break.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. As a senior in high school, and I really didn't have a whole lot of direction, but I loved movies. My father took me to a lot of movies growing up when I was very young, a lot of inappropriate movies I shouldn't have gone to, like, you know, Basic Instinct when I was like seven years old. Mom wasn't too happy about that one.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a tough one of.
Speaker 2: Them, exactly. But I had a passion for movies. I think I just loved the escapism of it, and you know, just getting into another world and into the characters, into the stories. And so I thought, Hey, maybe I could go to NYU Film School. That shouldn't be too hard to get into. Wow wow yeah with no with nothing yeah nothing really good looks on my application other than my good looks and an essay about The Basketball Diaries, which was one of my favorite movie.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal movie that Lala, do you know who is that? No, I've never seen you were zero years old when that movie became.
Speaker 2: Marky Mark was in it and that was where that was when he transitioned from Marky Mark to Mark Wahlberg and Leo. Oh this guy can act. Leo obviously crushed it, crushed it. It was amazing, great movie. Now it's a movie about a New York poet who did a lot of drugs addiction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, a side note and then we'll come back. But Eric Weinstein, who was he, who's his assistant, who now is his partner, met Mark on that movie as his coach for drug coaching, like you know, oh yeah, for just you know, because he had been a heroin you know, former addict. So that's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would assume you were a pretty big fan of that movie as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that movie was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: It really, it really was. So anyway, I managed to get into NYU by the skin of my teeth, not into Tish. I got into a new program.
Speaker 3: Not into the theater program.
Speaker 2: Into the theater program or the film program. The Gallatin School for people that didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a program for people that don't know apparently, and it was called the Gallatin School.
Speaker 2: So I did a half a year, two semesters in the gallat In School, or I guess a semester. I did a semester in the gallas In School. I had good grades and I was able to transfer into TISH, having already been accepted into NYU Film and Television, not you know, not not a not a conservatory, not the acting not an acting program. I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: I mean it was to send any sort of like audition tape to get in.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to send any you know, films you've done, short films you've created, which I had none.
Speaker 1: I mean, I should be grateful that you got into any program at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with your effort.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're telling me that you just submitted an essay.
Speaker 2: On how thirteen eighty on my SAT? What? Yeah, you're a lot of pot in high school and apparently I had brain cells despair.
Speaker 3: Go figure, Wait a second, you had a thirteen eighty out of fifteen fifth that'sixteen. You're smart as fun.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't know. I never took an SAT. I don't even know what good score would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't even do SATs anymore. They do the acts, and.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what the good score on that would be.
Speaker 3: Immediately, the good news is you did Okay, I will say.
Speaker 1: I did a movie with you. What was the name of it? Again?
Speaker 2: I forgot me too, something hard kill.
Speaker 1: Hard kill. And I've never seen a script like yours. There was so much dialogue that you had written as far as your character break down, and you're the reason I started doing that actually, like going into that much depth.
Speaker 3: Can you let me.
Speaker 1: Look at yours? And I was like, what is this? You know, like I had little notes, but yours was like what your character for breakfast that morning? And wanted I'll do that as well.
Speaker 3: Awesome, like a lot of backstory. Yeah, Jenny's pretty Jesse's pretty method. I mean I've been on sets with Jesse. He's pretty focused.
Speaker 2: Now, it can't be too method because then people don't want to work with it.
Speaker 1: So then after, where are you from? Originally?
Speaker 2: I grew up in Connecticut, Connecticut?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you go to college in New York and then when do you make your big move to Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, while I was in college, I was doing some male modeling. Oh you're a master male modeling?
Speaker 3: Wow? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know a little seventeen magazine.
Speaker 3: I think we ran into each other in some.
Speaker 2: And I thought, hey, well you know, maybe I can do some commercials, right, So they got me a theatrical agent. I went on a UPS commercial audition where I dressed up like a UPS delivery man, but I wasn't playing a UPS delivery man when I got there. I was just playing someone who received a package, so that totally didn't work. And then they sent me out on an open casting call for the infamous daytime television show Passions, which I booked.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So after my junior year in college, did three years you know, ninety something thousand dollars at that time, and I didn't even graduate. I dropped out, came to Los Angeles, and I've been acting ever since.
Speaker 3: Wow. That's a great story.
Speaker 1: So then when did when did my most favorite show ever that I grew up watching and I thought you were the hottest thing ever. I think I was in the seventh grade. Oh wow, Desperate Housewives came out?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I did five years on Passions on daytime. Okay, great training ground.
Speaker 3: How many episodes this season would you do? Is it like like fifty six? Is it like every day?
Speaker 2: Like? So five episodes a week?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's that's like fides.
Speaker 2: So it was great training for memorying line memorizing lines, but you you would pick up a lot of bad habits. You know, because you had to memorize so quickly that it wouldn't lend itself to you know, developing your craft, right, I don't think. But once I ultimately decided to make the jump and see if I could get something better, get on the prime time. You know, there was a lot of a lot of naysayers. A lot of people I worked with were like, what are you going to do? And I was like, you know, honestly, I don't care if I'm pumping gas next week. I need to do something different than this. So you left the show, yeah, and it just kind of run its course. And then I went through the pass.
Speaker 1: Is like a soap opera?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yeah, yeah it is?
Speaker 1: And you were just over it, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, long run.
Speaker 2: I had aspirations I did. I did a whole pilot season, my very first full pilot season. It was coming towards the end of pilot season and I hadn't gotten anything, you know, so I was pretty stressed.
Speaker 1: I was you know, where were you living at this point? Do you have one of those stories where it's like you lived in a shithole, you were on someone's house.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this point, I actually owned my first property. I owned a condo in West Hollywood. It was like it was like Melrose Place in there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It was like it faced into the pool and everyone's apartments, you know, were around the pool. There were some unsavory characters that lived there. H So, you know, that was a good time. It was a good period in my life. And I I had two test deals on the table by the end of this pilot season. One was for Veronica Mars and one was for this unknown show that really not many people knew anything much about called Desperate Housewives. And the Desperate Housewives deal was on the table, and the Veronica Mars thing was like still in negotiation. So I went for the Desperate Housewives and I ended up booking it. And it was actually a recast. You know, there was another actor playing the gardener, but they didn't like him opposite Eva. They didn't think that they had chemistry, and they recast it after they shot the pilot. Wow, how many we had some we had good chemistry.
Speaker 1: And played a high school student.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh my god, Yes, where did you guys film we filmed that universal?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was really cool. We had a whole block, a whole neighborhood, like like set on the lot, whole set ont It was very very cool. It's very cool.
Speaker 3: Did you get to see all the tram and the visitor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the trams would always gone by and wave.
Speaker 1: They were just so happy to be on with STI Lane exactly.
Speaker 3: Is that what it's called?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know a lot of plastic flowers and you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like Stepford Wives.
Speaker 2: Yeah and then so yeah, I was totally surprised at the success of that show. I didn't I didn't anticipate that at all at all.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, how could you you like took a leap of faith by leaving that show? Passions right?
Speaker 3: That still long?
Speaker 1: No, when did it end after you?
Speaker 3: It has?
Speaker 2: It has, it's gone. It went for quite a few years after I left. But it has a cult following, does it. I mean people were huge fans of that show. I got a supernatural storyline. It was out there.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't like Days of Our Lives where people were being possessed by devils.
Speaker 2: No, it was actually my my girlfriend was possessed on the show, and I went to Hell to save her. Yeah, And I was like I was battling demons.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, Jesse, I would love to see that conversation between you and the director having these deep moments.
Speaker 1: What is it like meeting with a director on a soap? I mean, I know what it's like meeting with a director on a film. If you're shooting five days a week.
Speaker 2: And there's not a lot of talk about performance. It's like if you if you get the words out of your mouth and they're intelligible, then they're moving on.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Because you do so much material each day, there's not a yeah, there's episode a day right around full episode.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: How hour long episode.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine. That's nuts, dude.
Speaker 1: I think I can't memorize that. Like, how much dialogue do you think you had to memorize daily?
Speaker 2: Thirty pages? Twenty to thirty pages? If you were a main character and had, you know, a big.
Speaker 1: Storyline, you must have been fried by the.
Speaker 2: End of Fried. But I had a young brain.
Speaker 1: Hello were you when you were doing this?
Speaker 2: My twenties? My early twenties?
Speaker 1: Early?
Speaker 3: Okay? But I have a question.
Speaker 2: You're a sharp then, yeah, exactly. You get a lot dollars and get older. I need my Ginko Beloba. Probably don't know what that is. It was the thing. It was a thing that always advertised on the price is right, and it's supposed to, like, you know, help your brain, supposed to help your memory. Your older listeners, which I'm sure you have a few, Well, I will understand.
Speaker 1: That some that are in their fifties. Yeah, sure, perfect sold are your forty something?
Speaker 3: Let's not go there.
Speaker 1: I think people should wear their age with pride.
Speaker 2: I do wear mine with pride. On forty two years young, about to turn forty three in December.
Speaker 1: Good for you had a good head of hair on you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, You're welcome. You're like, is she about that? There's nothing money can't buy?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. We're going to cut to a short and we will be right back with Jesse Metcalf. All right, we are back with Jesse Metcalf, and we're talking about all things Jesse Metcalf, from his great hair to his career. I found out you did two movies with randall back to back. I had no idea. What are they called.
Speaker 2: They're called Fortress, Fortress, Fortress, b dubs Bruce Willis Bruce ye exactly. They're really fun movies though they're like the Indiana Jones kind of type movies. They're a little little little tongue in cheek and they have a little bit of everything. You know. They have a little comedy, they have a little romance, and they have a lot of action. They're pretty cool, you know, they're kind they're kind of they're kind of different. And apparently from both of our directors of one and two, I'm hearing that they came out quite well good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I know the one that most of the movies that Randall's made with Bruce Willis have always topped in either Netflix or on demand pretty high. Yeah, so is Fortress out yet?
Speaker 2: Not yet? I think the first one's coming out in December?
Speaker 3: Am I right?
Speaker 1: Oh? Around Christmas time? Christmas?
Speaker 2: Really a Christmas Bruce Willis movie. You know how people like to say that Diehards a Christmas movie? You ever heard that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, what's your favorite Christmas movie? Die Hard? Die Hard?
Speaker 1: Why? Because it came out around Christmas time?
Speaker 2: Because the story takes place during Christmas.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be honest, never seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a classic.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of classics that I haven't seen. Apparently the other one, what is it? Basketball? Diaries that we just spoke about. Yes, all right, I did get who plays your love interest in Fortress? Or is does?
Speaker 2: Is it someone that I had a love interest? Kelly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Kelly was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an old friend of Randall's and she's amazing in the movie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, very nice. Where did you shoot this? These movies?
Speaker 3: Puerto Rico?
Speaker 2: It's becoming a very popular place to shoot.
Speaker 3: It is it is. It is so busy now that I can't even get movies in there, Like we were just shot in Alabama because we can't, like, we can't get movies into Puerto Rico. So my next movie in Porto Rico is not until March because it's it's too busy. Wow. Yeah, we started that. We started that that.
Speaker 2: Hole, which I'm sure is great for the economy.
Speaker 3: Oh they're so busy. I mean it's but it's great for the whole. Yes, it's great for everything. But I love Puerto rican I mean it's a great place to make movies. It's just you know, there's only so many crew there, so whoever gets in, you know, kind of they can only handle so much.
Speaker 1: But do you think as they start filming more movies there that they'll more people will move there as far as production goes, so that they're.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know about that, because.
Speaker 1: Every time I've filmed a movie there, it's kind of a shit show.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I actually, I actually was impressed by the Puerto Rican Cruise. I thought I thought they were really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree that they.
Speaker 1: Weren't hard workers. They're incredibly like everyone that work is hard working, just on most movies.
Speaker 2: That I not necessarily a lot of experience, but I'm right.
Speaker 1: And I'm a virgo, so I like things to be very timely and organized.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's I like that as well. You know, as an actor that's been in the industry for twenty two years.
Speaker 3: I'll say on behalf of recall say that the crews are very experienced. They're limited though there's only so many of them, so once our movie starts, if you come in after the fact, you kind of have to bring a lot of people in. So just because there's not enough.
Speaker 1: It was less about the crew and more about maybe the director or other people.
Speaker 3: Hold on, oh that was we don't drop the tea, but I think she spilled the tea or he dropped it or something. Director you felt you didn't have the connection with Yeah, movie.
Speaker 2: That can happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you tell me we're working on pages you know why through Z And then you come in and you're like, no, no, I told you A and be today and it's like you're fucking moron.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, and movie.
Speaker 3: Jesse, would you like to share your uh stories with about some of your directors?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know when you're talking about the top of the food chain, you know, and on a film, you know, a director really is the captain of the ship, you know, and he likes to I would generally generally maintain that persona.
Speaker 3: I want to make it clear I didn't direct either of your movies.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes you have to be sensitive to.
Speaker 3: That, you know.
Speaker 1: See, I feel as the actor someone they need to be sensitive to me.
Speaker 3: You will know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone has a perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna switch subjects in about a second. I just want to say, Jesse, during your movie with your sensitivity to directors, I did receive a lot of calls from you on one particular film.
Speaker 2: Uh, but that's come full circle.
Speaker 3: No, you guys wonderfully. No, you guys made up and I think that's amazing. I also think sometimes, like lawa said, circumstance and just it might be that film or whatever things happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's very hot, very hot and humid in Puerto Rico. Tensions can run high. But if you're passionate about what you're doing and you bring that passion to the project, sometimes it can it can get a little fiery on set.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, it's important to be able to work a lot of egos on a side. It's important to be able to work through these things on a set because at the end of the day, we're a team and it's a collaborative art form. Yes, so we can't forget that.
Speaker 1: No, I fully agree. And at the end of the day, everyone's intent is to do the same thing, which is create a great film. So I respect that. I actually remember when you were going toes with whoever you were doing toes with, going everyone to calm down.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I used to say to Law when I was getting those calls, I was like, dude, what doing She's like, everyone just needs to settle down in Porto Rico. But just tell us because you don't you know, in terms of like what is the perfect project that you'd like to see yourself do over the next few years, Like what, what director? What kind of genre? Is there anything you want to challenge yourself with or is it.
Speaker 2: Just okay, my my favorite genre is gangster films. Really yeah, I would love to do, you know, a mob movie where I was maybe the black sheep of an Italian mafia family that had a drug problem and maybe a gambling problem. Because of my gambling problem, I get in debt to a rival family and in order to you know, not get killed, I have to inform on my own family. Wow, yeah, I just care.
Speaker 3: I just came up with that's that's a great that's a great develop that. Yeah, we should. I actually like it all right. By the way, if anybody tries to steal that Jesse did, we're copywriting it right now.
Speaker 2: We have it, we have it on record. Okay, I'll find.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I like that. That's interesting. It sounds like a little like Godfather. But we'll we'll modify it to contemporary times for sure. Okay, tell us the best the most exciting moment of Desert Housewives. That's what I want to steel, Like, what was the best episode or the best.
Speaker 2: The most exciting moment for me was winning a SAG Award.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's huge.
Speaker 2: Ensemble comedy cast. So that was an unbelievable that the moment, you know, we're all up on stage at the SAG Awards.
Speaker 3: That's big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really awesome.
Speaker 1: Where do you keep your SAG Award right now?
Speaker 2: Where is that tiward on the back of the toilet in the guest room? Why no, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: I was going to living obviously, I.
Speaker 1: Was going to say that needs to be removed and placed out.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you a funny story about the SAG Awards? And then I've said on the podcast, I'm gonna say real quick and in a cliff dal version, Lala and I went to the Syhorts for the Irishman. I wanted to say hello to Meryl Streep. Meryl Streep was sitting at the table next to us. As she got up and started moving, I stood up. It's the only person I, you know, fangirled about.
Speaker 1: She couldn't get away from Randam fast enough.
Speaker 3: Okay, they literally, no, she's don't. That's not what she said. She said, can you give me one second right back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I never came back and then proceeded when she came back to instead of take that route, go.
Speaker 4: All the way around to the other around the table to dodge me. And but here is the kicker that I have to live with this to this day. Fast forward the entire night.
Speaker 3: Every time they do a shot of Meryl Streep and Reese witherspent the table next to us, who is in the eye line, La La Kent. So so all of the photos are Meryl Streep and Lala Kent without Lala Ken ever asking for a photo, and I got I got dissed.
Speaker 1: I don't care about famous people that much.
Speaker 2: Neither do I. But I mean, if it's a it's an actor that I really admire. I think it's cool to be able to meet the person. But I'm not going to be like falling all over myself.
Speaker 1: And I'm definitely not asking for a picture either, Like what am I going to do with it?
Speaker 2: Same anyone for a picture of my.
Speaker 3: Wife, Well, I'll take a picture with you.
Speaker 2: I have too many pictures with you, that's true, But.
Speaker 3: I honestly no. But you know, Meryl Streep is just one of those actors that I looked up to since I was a kid and she's the greatest ever. So it was like this weird moment that she was walking and I said, I got to do it, but it did work out, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Not gonna I'll be I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: And by the way, and by the way, she thanks law, thanks for that. And by the way, I asked law, I said, no, she was being nice. She wanted to go talk to Marty and then she's going to come back. And she says she ain't coming back and that like that.
Speaker 1: That the waste is called avoiding you like you're the plague.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: You were there?
Speaker 2: I was you were there.
Speaker 3: I was a table over. That is I was a table over.
Speaker 1: Even know and it looked like I was there so low kicking it by Meryl Streep.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I didn't get a shot. She gets all these shots. All I wanted was a picture. I could have taken the picture off the off the screen and then blown it up and put it in my office.
Speaker 2: Too funny.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been a fun podcast, Yes, yes it has. I can't wait to see Fortress.
Speaker 2: Never a dull moment with you two.
Speaker 1: We try to keep it fun and keep it classy.
Speaker 2: Keep it that way. I think we kept it pretty classy. I think, you know, maybe you know a couple of color comments from you, La love, but I mean, you know, got to be you.
Speaker 1: I will never deny them.
Speaker 2: Keep it real before classy, keep them authentic and classy, you know, because there's not enough authentic people out here.
Speaker 1: No, there's not.
Speaker 2: There's that, Holly. Would you know what I.
Speaker 3: Love about podcasts with friends? It's fun, for sure, it's really on. Jesse. I want to tell you something. You're a good friend to me. You're a good friend to us, and I want to thank you. And you're incredible actor, and we thank you for having me for all being on and being with us always my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks Mitt cav Thank you guys so much for listening to another episode of We Give Them La La with Randall podcast. We will catch you next week.