Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling economic world, and what this means for you. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by Robert Evans, James Stout, and Mio Wong. It is a liberation day in America. Everyone. How do you feel? I feel liberated.
Speaker 3: Last, free at last, Thank God Almighty, we are free at last for being able to afford things.
Speaker 2: I am so so liberated.
Speaker 4: Right now, unchained from a burden of having money.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well, as the Buddhists say, you know, freeing yourself from attachment is really the path to nirvana.
Speaker 2: Trump really is our first Buddhist president, is.
Speaker 4: One thing they say about him. That's right.
Speaker 3: He may be the new Dali Lama who can say the Dhali Lama and he hasn't but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and the priests who for him after he dies when he comes back. This guy's Unfortunately, they're probably on a fucking travel band list.
Speaker 3: Now, oh my god, there's I mean, pretty good chance they're in ice custody at the moment.
Speaker 4: If I understand buddhistm.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we should just get right to the most pressing news, which is line go.
Speaker 4: Down, Line, Line is on its way down. Yeah, line in free fold currently. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny because they chose they were supposed to initially. I think it was like going to be three pm or something. E St two or three was the initial time they wanted to announce this, which would have given the stock market a couple of.
Speaker 2: Hours on April second, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on April second, it would have given it Liberation Day.
Speaker 3: On Liberation Day, there would have been a couple hours for it to take effect, and they attempted to mitigate this.
Speaker 4: I guess in the hope that we would all get over it overnight, we would forget some other ship before the new prices. Even Kevin, we'd be like, ah, no, I'm on in the next thing. But the Dow and the Nazi all all plunged because it's clear if the president is like deliberately shifting an event to not hurt the stock market, that's going to hurt the stock market, you know. Yeah, yeah, it's good. When you see a ninety degree angle on the old stock market graph, that's when you know someone's really crushing it. In the economic delip.
Speaker 3: And so far we were recording this a little afternoon on Thursday, the April third, So just in the course of today, major stock indexes have dropped by about five point six percent, which means about two point seven trillion dollars in market value, which will be the largest decline since March of twenty twenty sick. So we are it is looking like this is going to be, at the very least a stock market decline in line with the one that came as a result of the global pandemic, with the noted caveat that there's really no reason to believe it will get better at any point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can't ready vaccinate against you bid.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not qualified to give financial advice, but I think everyone should pull out your four O one K right now, go to the bank, withdraw all your money, all of it your accounts ripe.
Speaker 3: Put it into the worst tasting survival foods, and you're gonna want to buy kel texts, lots of col texts in a caliber no one.
Speaker 4: Else has five to seven. Get the one that doesn't eight thirty two ACP. I won the thirty two ACP.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's it, James. Everyone buy thirty two ACP and guy, it's exceeded in ending one World war, and right it won't let us down. We call that doing a hitler, but in a good way.
Speaker 6: Someone here has to be vaguely responsible and say, don't fucking do that. Do none of those things zero zero of those into your accounts, get hard cash.
Speaker 4: Mark Cuban told people to do that. Absolutely not Mayor endorses Reagan Coin is the exclusive safe source of the time savings.
Speaker 3: You're gonna want to put every dime you've got impressed latinum. Now I know that that's the currency from star Trek and does not exist. Nevertheless, cancel your accounts, put it all in latinum.
Speaker 2: I mean it's gonna exist in like what like forty years per time.
Speaker 4: On the ground, it's not already a meme coin ten minutes off to discussion, more.
Speaker 2: Stable than your four oh one k.
Speaker 4: Right now, you can be rich just in time for money to stop being a thing. There you go, there you go. Yeah, this is why we're launching cools on coin guys for years. It's redeemable for whatever money the Ferengi use when they exist.
Speaker 2: We should probably talk about why the stock market is doing poor Leah, So I think Robert, you can handle this segue.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, wait, what is that? Oh my god? Is that Mina Wong's theme music by God?
Speaker 7: Locks right, jasp, locking.
Speaker 5: Locking, jasp.
Speaker 3: Oh God, that was a great purchase, you guys. I mean, can we all agree with every penny?
Speaker 2: Really was the best financial partise we've made is the tariff talk theme. Thought, it's gonna get so much mileage out of that thing.
Speaker 4: It's an un I'm gonna be using this fucker for years at least something good came of face. When you're struggling to get by with your family, just remember the song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this will keep you warm as you huddle around a barrel waiting for the uh, the new police, which are just called murder police to reach your shanty down anyway, Pah.
Speaker 6: Let us talk tariffs. Power. Sections of the left have long argued is in logistics. It was logistics that allowed the capitalists of the nineteen seventies and eighties to crush the labor movements by enacting the so called spatial fix to the Crisis of capitalism by shifting production from countries where workers' movements were strong to countries where violence against workers was easier, and workers were thus poorer and more exploited. CEOs could pit workers against each other in an endless race to the bottom. These practices became known as offshoring. Infused with the international attack on unions and the power of workers heralded in the US by Reagan, together they crushed the workers' movement and implemented neoliberal austerity throughout the globe through a regime that is colloquially known as free trade. Now there was, of course resistance to this, maybe most famously the uprising of the Zapatistas and Chiapas in nineteen ninety four on the day the NAFTA went into effect. But for all of the victories and all of the spaces that were carved out, it is still the CEOs, the bosses, and the capitalists to rule the world. However, in the wake of their defeat, sections of the working class came to see their own power as a product of the nation of masculinity of American jobs. For American workers, in this view, you didn't need to form a union, you didn't need to organize, you didn't need to fight the boss who exploit you. All you needed to do for the high paying blue collar jobs of the nineteen sixties to return was getting rid of the immigrants and bring jobs back home. This American nationalist ideology was extremely useful to the ruling class. It allowed them to turn the rhetoric of the old base of the workers' movement into a fascist movement, which they could then use to smash any genuine worker struggle and then ride to power to impose more brutal austerity and more pro capitalist reforms, too, in their view, make it impossible for their power ever to be challenged again. But a strange thing happened in the nationalism bred by the defeat of the worker's movement. The human personifications of the capitalist bubble economy in Donald Trump and Elon Musk, have come to see their own victory as defeat. They became convinced that the trade deficits, which from a capitalist's perspective, simply do not matter as long as companies are making money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, they no better for shit? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Juse the fuck we're calling a trade deficit? Is us getting things we want from people?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yeah, it's buying stuff Like I saw a good post. It was like, you don't have a trade deficit with your dentist. You just pay them to fix your teeth. Like, yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was told at one point in this nation's greatest living previous moment of crisis, that what we needed to do was go buy things to make it better.
Speaker 6: Not anymore, buddy, Nope, because because these people, Donald Trump and Elon Musk and the cadra of weird white nationals fanatics sets around them have absolutely convinced themselves that if you have a trade deficit, you are being ripped off by foreigners.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep.
Speaker 6: And so they concluded that we needed to put tariffs on fucking all of the rest of the world in order to bring American jobs back to Americans. A new national autarchy for a fascist world. Now, the ruling class, all the capitalists, all these fucking goddamn Golden Sax, motherfucker financial analysts, all of these CMBC dipshits, all of these fucking all these motherfuckers at black Rock and all of the global hedge funds, and all of these all these motherfuckers, all of the tech dipshits, all of the people who backed Trump to a hilt, simply assumed that none of these hairs would ever happen, that it was all campaign bluster, that he was lying out of his ass. And you know, Obama again I've said this before, ran an abolishing NAFTA. So there was you know, and what the fuck ever came from that, right? We of course fucking tried to tell them otherwise. We tried to tell them that they could not fucking control the fascist beasts, that one day it would rise to consume them all along with us. They didn't care. They backed Trump anyways because they thought they would get fucking tax breaks. And now Liberation Day is here.
Speaker 4: Don't forget Crypto. They were really bulletshot back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, all of these motherfuckers. They really thought that Trump was going to fucking that. Literally, all Trump was going to do was punish the transgenders, get rid of woke, and give them tax cuts.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm yep.
Speaker 6: And now if the terrorfalls have gone up, the old world is dead, the new world struggles to be. Now is the time of monsters.
Speaker 2: Now we're in what I'm what I'm referring to as the Chinese Century. I came up with this this this week on my own.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, hmm yeah, good.
Speaker 3: Now that's that's of course named after Chinatown in San Francisco, which Garrison is very bullish about. Uh, positive, positive real estate developments there. Uh, you're big into real estate. People don't know that.
Speaker 6: Chinese real estate absolutely where you want to be right now, both both in Chinatown and in actual China. You put all your money in the Chinese real estate. The bubble can't pop a second time, can only go back up.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 3: There were so many like enemies on the verge of defeat in like the traditional US geopolitical sense, like China's economy is doing great, Russia could have been easily pushed to collapse, and we were just like, na, no, no, you know what's better. We're gonna shoot ourselves right in the dick.
Speaker 4: We've snatched defeat from the get ourselves in a dick with a bullet. That venmos, both of you guys. It's great. We dug up the Cold War, resurrected it and then lost. Yeah, just to lose. Yeah, Yeah, it's beautiful. You can't. Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like Michael Jackson coming back for Space Jam if he had immediately like fucking thrown a basketball so hard at a bugs bunny skull that it put him at traction.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, wait, did you just say Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: Jordan didn't, Okay, Jordan, you just said jacks Well, definitely, you know, leave it in different, different movie, maybe better. You know, he always he always performed well around kids. So it's good.
Speaker 2: God, Yeah, I love Space Jam.
Speaker 4: It's a good movie. Anymore. Garrit said, it's forevitainted.
Speaker 3: Now, so let's let's talk about the nature of like what's actually going down with these terrors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's get to the tariff's terrible, terrifable, terrifable. That's right, Garrison.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So okay, so let me let me, let me just let me just read off some of the ones that are going to fuck everyone.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 6: Fifty four percent tariff on all goods from China. This is a third four percent tariff that is being added on to the twenty percent tariff that was already on. There is a twenty percent tariff on all goods from the EU, forty six percent on Vietnam, which is fucking devastating because there's a huge amount of capital from China.
Speaker 4: Also, speaking of the China panic, our strongest geopolitical ally in the region, like in terms of having a military, right, Yeah, a contry that we've been discussing going to warfall quite recently.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like we we just we we have literally and this is this is the funny thing about all of these. Vicky Osto will pointed this out. The more closely allied with the US, the more fucked you got by these.
Speaker 4: It's such a weird move.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, twenty four percent tariff on Japan.
Speaker 4: What is it like eighty or ninety percent on fucking Cambodia?
Speaker 6: Why, yeah, yeah, yeah, So what we'll get to why in a second. I want to also cover So there's there's a thirty seven percent teriff on Bangladesh, which is going to be devastating for I mean a lot of textile imports. Twenty five percent on South Korea, so fucking you ever getting a phone again? On Taiwan, so rip the entire tech industry. Fucking rip Taiwan too. These tariffs are going to devastate the international economy.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: I have been angry about this since the fucking election. People have been calling these tariffs attacks. That is just no, it is not what's happening here. This is like calling it a tax is to completely underplay how serious this is. This is not a fucking tax. This is the wholesale destruction of entire industries. And some of these industries like fast fashion, which you know has always been undergirded by the exploitation of workers from China to Bangladeshi and also like in the US two but like, you know, fuck those things whatever, they never needed to exist. Fuck them. But like you know, like you're probably not gonna be able to fucking buy board games anymore because they're going to be too expensive to produce.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's gonna shatter games like tabletop gaming.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's done. Like the economy as we knew it does not exist as of like this morning, right, everything that we've known about how this thing works is fucking done. And some of these are just you know, like unbelievably hideously cruel. So, for example, a forty four percent terriff on me and Mark, which you know is a country, yeah, devastated by a horrific war wage for a brutal dictatorship and also fucking suffering from a catastrophic earthquake, and we're like, fuck you eat shit. Forty four percent tariff also embargoed.
Speaker 4: No, like we've seized their government assets in the United States, Like, yep, it's one of like Diego Garcia for instance.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's well it's on the British Indian Ocean Territory, which collective population is primarily US soldiers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Christmas Island is on there, like yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: And there's one more that I want to talk about, which is that so Sri Lanka has been suffering from an unbelievably devastating series of economic crises, and they're getting hit with a forty four percent fucking tariff in a moment when like they already haven't had enough dollars to fucking import fuel for their economy to function. So this is going to be devastating not just for US, but for a whole bunch of people across the world. So this is the other aspect of this too that's really fucking brutal, is that for the US, Right, we don't need other countries' money, We don't need to have piles of any other countries's money around, Right, we can just buy things in American dollars. But if you are Sri Lanka, you need American dollars to buy oil. Yes, there are so many fucking things that you could only buy in American dollars. And when these TIFFs go up, when the prices increase, and when they can't fucking sell their stuff, that means that they don't have dollars, and that means that they can't get access to a whole bunch of the vital commodities that they need to survive. And this is just going to fucking devastate them. And I think that's been an angle that I really wanted to make sure we talked about, because it's been I haven't seen any fucking mention of it at all, even though those are the people who are going to suffer the most in this are people who are already completely on the fucking edge, whose economies have already been collapsed. You've already been so brutally exploited by these same fucking people, and they're just fucked.
Speaker 4: Yep. You know, we always say we know like to reefs, but we do like these ads. We're back. I don't feel great about that.
Speaker 6: But now there is a funny part of all of this. There is some fun here good, which is okay. So one of the big questions about the tariffs was how were they going to calculate the tariffs on all of these countries right because they were saying that their terroriffs were going to be a projection of like currency manipulation and like value added taxes and like all of these like like subsidies to vital industries and you know, And the question again was like literally, how can they possibly cockyate the tariff rates of hundreds of different countries and taking into account all these things right now? The news have been making a couple of weeks ago was that they were going to do brackets. What they actually appear to have done is ask check GVT.
Speaker 3: It's entire people have like reverse engineered the prompts. It's almost directly just the schatchy probably shit, there's a couple different engines that give almost identical responses, but it's probably it's.
Speaker 4: Amazing that they're doing the same ship as like my undergraduates and the people are doing the same shit. Sure you're undergraduates. Spends a little more time trying to add it. Ja most of them a smart enough to to like had it a little bit so that you can't put prompt into chat GPT and find it. Yeah, So that my lowest effa undergrads.
Speaker 6: I want to give a lot of credit to the economist James Surohreki, who's the guy who figured out their formula. So their formula and this is drawing for something. I mean I saw it from from James first. Uh, But like so their formula is literally just you take a country's trade deficit with the US. And it's also important to note here that they're not counting services. They're only counting goods. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, again, if if you're missing the products and just getting in services, that's half the economy as I understand it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, especially provides an enormous number of services. You know, But these people are fucking fascists and so they don't they don't think that like the services are fucking real, right, It's it's the same ideology that undergirds the whole thing about like service workers not being fucking real work.
Speaker 4: Literally, the only real job is that one video of a guy wrestling with an oil Derek.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is the only job.
Speaker 4: That is the manager and was just doing that for the video and was doing it very wrong. You've got to.
Speaker 2: Take some pieces of metal, move them around to where they're not supposed to go. That's that's when you're a real.
Speaker 4: Labor, labor that's working. Only jobs are things where you wear safety to boots and well and and and.
Speaker 6: That's and that's the thing that because like their image of the world is is the fascist image of the world, and the fascist image of the world, like labor is just masculinity. Yeah, and that's like that's why they're fucking doing it like this, and so you know, and so so the fascists have asked chat GPT how to do tariffs, and what they got is again, so do they take the country's trade deficit and divide it by their total experts in the US? Now, this is nothing, right, like in economic terms, that's not how you do anything. This is this is not a real thing like this is this is like trying to measure someone's height by like dividing their favorite number by the average radius of an apple.
Speaker 4: Like it's literally at you know, what are we what are you coming after me?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 4: Look just because I'm imagined differently.
Speaker 6: Okay, there is no scientific basis Robert for for for measuring height by dividing favorite number by apple radius. We simply must accept the truth of science.
Speaker 4: That's what you say, Joe Rogan, and I feel it everently.
Speaker 2: The dictatorship of chat GPT is just it's so bleak.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's just they asked chat GPT.
Speaker 3: It's a mix of they don't actually care or think this will affect them, and also they legitimately think it's the smartest person in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's smarter than them. Yeah, it would just maybe a good thing, but not in this instant.
Speaker 6: Well well, and you can you can tell the extent to which they were relying on this and didn't cancnate themselves because so after after it started to spread that this is just how they were doing its James Suroreki like calculated it. The White House said no, no, no, no, no, hold on, no, no, no, no, that's not right. We use an actual complex formula, and so they released a fake formula. But I think about the formula, right, is that the formula is just it is literally just trade deficit divided by total exports. But they threw in two random variables as Greek letters. But there's one on the top, but there's one of the numerated, one of those denominator and they're the same so they can't sell each other out.
Speaker 4: That sounds right to me.
Speaker 2: That's how you know they're smart. It's because they're using Greek letters.
Speaker 4: Yep, which Greek letters did they use? And which person's fraternity does it represent?
Speaker 3: I don't even speak Greek letters, so they are They must be smarter than me, you know what, I rescind my complaints.
Speaker 6: This is how the economy dies, not through tragedy but through farce.
Speaker 4: It's both. Yeah, tragic fuss, I think is what Marx cold is. A lot of people are gonna die, you know, And.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, like, my actual serious line on this is that this is the great double bind of capitalism, is that we are all reliant simultaneously, We are reliant for our survival on the same economy that will make us all homeless, right is the same economy that we need to fucking eat every single day. That even in good times, this economy fucking strips from us the value of the labor we produce and hands us back a bunch of fucking scraps that pay for not enough of anything that we need. So even as our enemies, you know, terror part the system that exploits us, we are the fucking ones who's going to suffer. Neoliberalism finally has in Trump produced its own grave digger, and our fucking job and the job of every single one of us and every single person listening to this show is to make sure that we also aren't the ones thrown into this fucking grave. And this is going to require a kind of organizing that is in some ways like but in some ways unlike anything we've done before. We are we're about to experience a level of unbelievable economic chaos that we sort of saw during twenty twenty. But during twenty twenty there was you know, as bad as everything got, the state stepped in and decided to do welfare reforms, right like, they gave people a bunch of fucking money. Yeah, and it wasn't enough, but they did it. Now, none of that shit. He are the only people who are going to be able to keep each other alive. And that's that's what we have to be doing right now, is we have to be keeping each other alive until we are organized enough and we are powerful enough to fucking run these people out so they can't ever fuck us again like this, so.
Speaker 2: We can resurrect neo liberal globalism. We can restore free trade, that's.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right, and bring it back to the Clinton era.
Speaker 6: Oh god. One last thing we should mention is that like this is already united the entire world against us. Effectively, people countries who have never worked together before in their entire existence are working together.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, Poles also show Americans can distrust or the tendency to view like Canadians and the EU as enemies is rising both Republicans and Democrats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's great. That's great, cool cool, cool cool cool cool cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And also you know, and like the thing, the thing, the other thing that we have to do here, and this is this is literally our responsibility on this podcast and also just ability of like fucking everyone who was having conversations with another person is that this is entirely Trump's fault. He fucking did this. Like, oh yeah, this is not fucking the EU or whatever the fuck whoever's doing retalitory show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is this is no one else ever wanted this.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, no, like the people who put Trump in power didn't want this.
Speaker 1: This is just him.
Speaker 6: And so yeah, the the actual solution to this is all of us running this fucker out and not us getting drawn into his fucking bullshit wars with Canada or Greenland or whatever the fuck country he decides to invade in the next year.
Speaker 4: Is that all for tariff talk?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's all we got on the terrace.
Speaker 4: I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just I'm just looking at the numbers right now where the Dow Industrial is down a fifteen hundred points since the start of the day, So it's.
Speaker 4: Things are looking very good.
Speaker 7: Yea.
Speaker 3: All of the lines, like if you look at the in which the line went down, there's like it's just this.
Speaker 4: Direct vertical drop on the third Yep, it's shocking. So it is a ninety degree angle.
Speaker 6: It is legitimately if you set the Google stock viewer thing to a one day view, the drop is so shocking that it looks like it just started down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it prompts you to turn your phone in the other direction. I've never seen anything like it, but I guess no one has. Yeah, no, I mean some of us. I guess people still alive in the nineteen thirties. Yeah, yes, Woody Guthrie has fucking grandma. I guess, like, Yeah, it's great. We did it in the nineteen thirties. It was bad then and it's bad now.
Speaker 2: Well, now that we got those pesky tariffs out of the way, let's talk about the actual most important thing to happen this week. In the news, New Jersey Senator Cory Booker has broken the record for the longest yea twenty five hours in five minutes. Yeah, that's horrible, beating Strom Thurman's filibuster of the nineteen fifty seven Civil Rights Bill by forty six minutes.
Speaker 4: We did it. Vokes excellent, outstanding, good. I'm just checking on Ah Wall Street bets and they're having a real one today.
Speaker 6: That's pretty I will say. I will say the thing about the Booker won. So if you were writing a parody of the Democratic Party, you would write that Corey Booker did this and like, did this filibuster and then immediately turned around and voted yes for a cloture vote to allow Trump to appoint another nominee. And that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can't even you.
Speaker 6: Can't perry to them. It's beyond parody. I like, it's astounding, it's astonishing.
Speaker 2: It's not even a filibuster. He's not filibuster or anything.
Speaker 6: We didn't.
Speaker 4: He didn't actively stop anything happening other than people not paying attention to it. I got a response from someone being like, well, you know, they didn't get to do anything on Monday, and I was like, yeah, they weren't really planning on it and things continued as normal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And you know, and here's the thing about that, right, Like, do you know how many Democrats there are in the Senate. Do you know how many hours you could filibuster them for if you were actually determined to fucking do this, and on how many different things.
Speaker 2: We had a rotating series of Democrats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, show it if you tag teamed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they're not They're not willing to fucking do it.
Speaker 3: No, and they'd be stopped eventually the Republicans would do something fucked up to stop it.
Speaker 4: But at least you'd have tried, Yeah, yeah, and people would maybe take some fucking energy from that. And even if you were gonna do this as a fucking show vote thing, you could have voted no one the cloture motion to like fucking do the to like appoint the next nominee. But they're just like no, fuck you.
Speaker 2: Mention the fact that Chuck Schumer caved on the Republican budget from a few weeks ago. Yeah, and secretly got a number of Democratic senators just which their votes to make it pass. Yeah, and no one did this for for that which which previously Democrats were talking about this budget bill like it's the worst thing to ever happen because it is a bad bill. Yeah, it's really bad. And then they just caved last minute, or specifically Schumer and the people he talked to caved. And Schumer definitely would not have been in supportive of Booker doing something like this for that bill. But now Schumer gets to applaud along as as Booker delivers a twenty five hour maybe like well orated speech, but it was.
Speaker 4: A very well written speech. Like technically it was good, but that didn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's just this pure show of like symbolic theater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the point.
Speaker 3: It's like if a congress person got out and conducted like a perfect rendition of the Nutcracker like symphony of like the ballet portion of that on their own in front of like the Capitol building, Like, well, it's impressive, it's spectacle, Like you're clearly very good at what you're doing, but it didn't change anything, like it had no impact on the problems.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, like you're good. I'll give you that. Corey Booker can deliver a fucking speech, but that was really not what I was looking for. Yeah, fiddling impressively burned, thanks Corey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and every single moment the Trump is in power, the way the way that they fucking just rolled over for him looks worse and.
Speaker 4: Worse because he said, I failed, and so did we. We didn't rise to the moment, and we let this horrible thing happen, which I even I got a little briefly. Oh shit, maybe he actually recognizes like, no, okay, well.
Speaker 2: Because it took him like twenty hours to like break emotionally to the point where he could like admit that to himself.
Speaker 4: His deep, deep deep failed.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but like it took having your brain be be shattered by this like pretty impressive physical act that like destroys your body, soul and spirit. And anyway, I think that's all we have to say about that. Let's go on and ad break and come back to discuss more sad and I'll actually also possibly good news or at least bad for Elon Musk which is good for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we are back.
Speaker 2: I think let's pivot to James Stout for an update on Venezuela. Well, no El Salvador, Salvador the torture labor prison. James m hm.
Speaker 4: Of course. We have to begin my segment today by saying tepe rosbi to Abdullah Ojulen, whose birthday it is on the day that you are hearing this. So if you want to plant, if you want to plant a tree for appo, get it. Get out there and plant your tree. Unfortunately, that is the only good news we have today. Border Patrol to spend most of this week touting the quote lowest number of border crossings in history. It will shocked listeners to hear that this is not historically accurate. Bordering counters are way down. If there's one thing that I have ever taught you, it is that bordering counters are not the same as unique ind visuals because people are being sent directly back to Mexico and will tend to return attempting a different route crossing the border. Right, there's our way down. And they're the lowest since they began publishing monthly data in two thousand. But numbers were wailer in the fifties and sixties and before then. It's relatively immaterial. It's just sort of a nipiggy point. I guess today, what I really want to talk about is the case of mister Kilmar Abragor Garcia. He was removed by the Trump administration to els Albador to Secot in a way that they have admitted was a mistake. So we have to go back a little bit to understand mister Abergo Garcia's story and how we got here. He was arrested in mid March due to the United States government claim that he played a quote prominent role in MS thirteen. MS thirteen being the Salvadorean gang. He'd come to the United States in twenty eleven he was fleeing gang violence. He was allegedly arrested in twenty nineteen outside a home depot where he was standing with other men looking for work. However, the incident report for that particular incident gives other names, but not his. At that point, a Prince George's County Police Department detective filled out a quote gang worksheet and claimed that mister Abergogarcia was associated with a member of MS thirteen. The evidence he cited for this was a Chicago bulls hoodie and the claim of a confidential informant. The competition informant claimed that he was part of a group within this gang that was set up in a state that mister Abergagarcia had never lived in the United States. In twenty nineteen, Ice argued that he shouldn't be given bond because of this alleged gang membership right, and so he wasn't given bond, but through an asylum claim. Although he didn't get asylum, he was protected from removal right, so a judge ruled that he couldn't be removed back to El Salvador, where he would presumably face violence. When mister Abergogarcia's lawyers tried to interview the police detective who had filed this report accusing him of gang membership, they found no record of his rest and that the detective has been suspended since then. The department question also settled a lawsuit with its own corps over racism in the department. JD Vance, who has a law degree right the JD is I guess before and after his name. He has a law degree from Harvard, has claimed that mister Abergo Garcia is a convicted member of MS thirteen. This is not true. I can't find any evidence he has any conviction of any kind. I'm going to quote here from a filing by the United States government on the fifteenth of March. Although ICE was aware of his protection from removal to El Salvador, Abrigo Garcia was removed to El Salvador because of an administrative error. So the government there has admitted in a court filing that they accidentally sent this guide to the prison labor camp in El Salvador. Right, according to ICE acting field Officer Robert Cerner quote, he was an alternate as others were removed from the flight for versarious reasons. He moved up the list and was assigned to the flight. So it appears that they had a large list of people they wanted to put on this flight. This is interesting, right, It's an insight into their process fulfilling that first flight that they some people they cally didn't feel they had enough evidence for. But somehow this guy, who again has never been convicted of having any membership of any gang, they put on this flight. Right, His wife and child are both US citizens and they have sued in court. That's why we're seeing this, right. They've sued for the United States government to stop paying El Salvador for his detention and for the United States government to demand he returned. Vance has advanced a kind of unique legal theory in response, claiming that withholding of removal only prevent someone being deported back to their home state. I mean you could technically that is what the withholding is, right, Like, it's like, he can't go back to El Salvador because he will be at risk in El Salvador. So so they can deport him to a third state. But they deported him to Well Salvador, or renditioned him to Well Salvador. Right, I want to read JD. Vance's post here. I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I'll start with the second paragraph. In twenty nineteen Immigration judge parentheses under the Biden administration. For those of you who are familiar with dates, it's at twenty nineteen, was under the first Trump administration. That was that was the Trump administration. Yeah, moving on, determined that the deported man was in fact a member of the MS thirteen gang. He also apparently had multiple traffic violations for which he failed to appear in court, a real winner. It is telling that the entire American media is going to run a propaganda operation today making you think that an innocent quote father of three was apprehended by a gulag. Father of three is in quotes here, by the way, Yeah, yeah, And gulags generally not capable of doing the apprehensions themselves. If we think of a gulag as a place, is the police who are apprehend the person send them to the gulag. Moving on, here are the relevant facts. I'm still quoting. The man is an illegal immigrant with no right to be in our country. Obviously, the judge determined that he was protected from removal. Quoting again an immigration judge during the Biden I've been determined he was a member of the MS thirteen gang. Again, that's not the case.
Speaker 6: It's staggering the extent to which they can say a sentence where every single individual word is a lie. Like stunning.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The fact that so many members of the Modern Republican Party have like memory hold twenty nineteen to twenty twenty as being under the biden In administration is just insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's bizarre. I think what they're referring to is that the initial hearing right where he was denied BOMB was in twenty nineteen, and then he filed his asylum claim and later was protected from removal. But that's not what they're saying here.
Speaker 2: But like even the way they talk about, like the COVID response, they talk about it as if Joe Biden was the president.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna lock us down again. But you locked us down, Yeah, who did that? And then the last one, I think it's most rebelatory because he's not a citizen. He does not get full jury trial by peers. In other words, whatever due process he was entitled to he received, the immigration court doesn't generally present the opportunity for a jury trial. Right once again holds a JdE and he presumably knows this. What's more disturbing is the claim made by the United States government in its filing in this lawsuit that the Abergo Garcia family filed quote because plaintiffs conceived that Abergogarcia is not in the United States custody, this court cannot hear these claims. So they're claiming that no US court has jurisdiction over the question of these people who are in El Salvador because they're not in US custody, right, which obviously if they stick the landing on this, it suggests that like it is a one way ticket to the prison labor camp, right, that you cannot challenge that in US court, and you ain't going to get very far in court in El Salvador.
Speaker 4: Right. So what they're suggesting here is this, this is a forever detention, that there is no habeas right. That was they were asking for, Hey, colpus.
Speaker 6: Can you spen my haabest Corpus actually is for the listeners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it means bring me the body, right in this case is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to present evidence in order to charge like convict people and things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like the cnequa non of having a justice system, a criminal justice show something. Yeah, you can't just be like bad man and then put the guy in jail.
Speaker 3: The most basic thing is that like, yeah, I mean in literal terms, it means you have to like actually take somebody in front of a court in order to determine if they're like being detained for a reason, right, Like a judge has to see them and say like, yes, this is this is not an unlawful imprisonment. There is a charge, there is some degree of evidence that somebody did something.
Speaker 4: Right, which they have not provided here.
Speaker 3: Right, not that like you can prove they did it, but like something was done and you are here for that for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so in this case, we we don't have any of that. Mister Abrigo Garcia is still the way his family found out he was in second was that his wife identified him by scars on his head when they shaved it, and at tattoo they saw Jesus Christ. Yeah, they had no idea. It presumably doesn't come up on the ICE detainee locator. You know that you're going to look up your family members and if your family members are detained by ICE, doesn't have L Salvador as an option. So yeah, this is where we're at. This is a case I will be following, right because I say it's pretty pivotal. If they can argue that the court doesn't have jurisdiction. Obviously, I'm sure at that point that ruling will be challenged and it will run up the courts. Currently, it seems like the only court they're going to listen to is a Supreme court. But evidently that this is what they're going for, Like, this is their argument here that once you're in l salbad or you're out of their hands and they can't do anything. So sorry, even though it was a mistake, you're stuck there forever, which is pretty disturbing.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, me and James did an episode on ICE's targeting of students at scholars and professors that they believe are associated with Palestine protests. So we did an update on that story that I did a peace on or a segment down last week on executive disorder. So for a follow up on that, you can look to yesterday's episode. But we are going to close with I guess kind of a feel good story because it makes Elon Musk sad. He has had a bit of a bit of a rough week for mister Musk's businesses and his political projects. I guess Elon Musk's efforts to buy the Wisconsin Supreme Court have failed, as the Democratic backed candidate swept the election, maintaining four to three Liberal control of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, the gist of it is of like three or four days ago, all of my friends from who are Scani's got furious because Elon Musk wore a cheesehead, you know, like the ones for the packers that the people from Wisconsin ware when they're at games while he got up on stage and gave of a million dollars.
Speaker 3: Basically immediately before, like about little less than a week ago, a higher court ruled that it was not bribery for him to offer people a million dollars at random if they voted or showed up at like you know, different rallies and stuff, which is like what he's been doing, right, is making these basically fake offers of a million dollars because these two went to members of the local Republican party, like it was clearly set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the head of the College Republicans of Wisconsin, amazing must fish twenty five million dollars leads on this race. He danced around on stage wearing a cheesehead, and he gave out million dollar novelty checks to quote unquote voters who won a contest by signing his petition against activist judges. Which has been the new rallying cry on the right is that everything that's going wrong, everything that's stopping Trump, is from these active studges that we have to unseat. He also gave one hundred dollars each to every person who signed that petition, and on election day, Musk offered voters fifty dollars if they posted a picture of a Wisconsin resident outside of a polling place. How is that allowed? These are the same people who scream about like election interference, rigging elections, buying elections to the elections ed like, like this is insane stuff. You can go to jail for giving people a water bottle in line at polling places in multiple states. And Musk is allowed to give people fifty dollars for pictures posted outside of polling places. What the fuck is happening? But luckily, the negative polarization against Musk and Tesla that's been increasing the past few months has resulted in Judge SUVN. Crawford beating the mega hat Republican judge who last year went as Donald Trump for Halloween beating this guy by by ten percent. This was a massive, massive reversal of the twenty twenty four persential election results in Wisconsin. There was a record high turnout for this spring election, forty percent higher than the last Wisconsin Supreme Court election. Which was in twenty twenty three, which was.
Speaker 6: By the way, that was also a high turner election too. Yeah yeah, yeah, but that that previous one, then this one just fucking obliterated it.
Speaker 2: Like this was like just under the results of like what you would expect to out of like a midterm election.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They shifted every single county in the state blue compared to the twenty twenty four presdential election, and on average by about ten to twelve points. Massive, massive chefs.
Speaker 6: And this was before the terriiffs, by the way, Yeah, like this this was before the terrors announced.
Speaker 4: No, this was pure personal dislike of Elon musk meddling in Wisconsin politics well like and everything else has happened since January, but like it does seem like Elon Musk's personal presence was a net negative and all the money spin.
Speaker 6: Luckily.
Speaker 2: The next day there was a Tesla sales report which was one of the worst in the history of their company, fifty percent fewer vehicles being delivered in the first three months compared to last year, with Tesla's stock continuing to plunge the past week, although with reports that that Musk might exit the inner circle of the Trump administration. Yeah, those stocks are kind of flipping back and forth as he's expected to return to his company.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and who know, like a lot of that's clearly the tariffs. Well yes, and then with the tariffs, this is a whole other issue, real double whammy for TESLA.
Speaker 3: The reporting is that people around Trump have largely soured on Musk. Who knows how true that is. There's always a lot of like reports from the Trump inner circle that are like, I don't know, it's yeah, he's always had a very leaky yeah, but and I can see it being multi causal, Like Musk has failed badly in Wisconsin. The kind of suspicion right now is that Skibble or whatever name is was down about five points relative to other MAGA candidates in the same election, which people are attributing largely to Musk's intervention.
Speaker 2: Well, and like they were testing out if he was like a stable, consistent, reliable political operator, or if what he did in twenty twenty four was kind of like a one off event, if he's like a one trick tony there, and and this this complete like devastating loss demonstrated that maybe this unstable drug addict no offense a specifically for Elon Musk, who's railing ketemine all the time and trying to run the entire world. Luckily, Luckily, my friends who who might indulge in ketymene don't try to run the entire world.
Speaker 4: You say that now, but you'll get older at some point. It's it's of midlife crisis too.
Speaker 2: But he was shown in like a very public way to be to be like an unstable political force. And and yeah, that's going to turn some of some of the people in the Trump admins against him.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's I think that's all I have to say about this Wisconsin right Wisconsin race.
Speaker 4: Sorry, all right, well I think that's probably an episode.
Speaker 6: Wait ship, hold on, I just I just found the funniest fucking thing about this tariff I think i've seen yet from fucking.
Speaker 5: Rocking rocking jazz, rocking jazz, rocking jazz.
Speaker 4: Bo Okay, we're back.
Speaker 6: Tarently, the tariffs are not broken down by country. This is quote from this guy in VFX on Twitter. They're not broken down by country. They're broken down by top level Internet domain. It's why the island's populated entirely by penguins. The dot hm domain. And why the Diego Garcia military base Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like fucking McDonald's island, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: And why why Renon and Gibraltar our.
Speaker 4: Yeah like yeah what love Reunion is part of France. Why are we hitting these guys? It's because they use it? Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: That that that is that that is what a nineteen year old who never went to college. My god, but thinks he's he understands all of reality would do.
Speaker 2: Okay, great dictatorship of Chad GPT fucking phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Mynd fucking god, unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Look, look, okay. The note I want to close on is that so podcaster Mike Duncan that the creator of the Revolutions podcast, a man who has spent literally tens of thousands of hours writing about like every revolution that's ever happened. At the end of the original run of the series Revolutions, he makes this point, which is that all revolutions work because they encounter you encounter one of the great idiots of history, a man who is blessed with with the the the inalienable ability to make the wrong decision at every single time. And my god, if we can't beat these motherfuckers like it that she's entirely on us because we have been handed one of the greatest idiots of history that has ever existed in the history of humanity, and our fucking job now is to turn that into fucking a better world.
Speaker 4: Do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we'll see the problem is that there's a lot of greater idiots out there, and they all do still have guns and money. One of the great tragedies of the world is that very very stupid people can still fire guns.
Speaker 4: We made them too easy, folks. Yeah, I've I've seen that happen a couple of times. Yeah, in the old conduct of my work.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all right, well, we reported the news.
Speaker 4: We reported the news.
Speaker 3: Now you go out there and you know what, find someone who lives on the Isle of McDonald near the Arctic and kick their ass today. Fuck them up, fuck that island.
Speaker 4: Do trade with the penguin? Pay ten percent?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, send us a picture of you fighting a penguin and we'll make sure you get a hat or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we'll send you so much. Be reported the news.
Speaker 1: It could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website foolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 6: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.