Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where it's been hours and we still haven't reached the bottom of page Becker's bag. It's Tuesday, April fifteenth, and on today's show, we're throwing the normal run of show out the window and instead a live reaction to the WNBA draft with friend of the show, comedian and her Light's podcast host Aaron Foley. Aaron and I jumped on to record just as the WNBA draft was coming to an end to talk best fits like clothes, best fits like players to teams, and a whole lot more. It's all coming up right after this. Aaron, welcome back. Don't need to give the full spiel on you. Everybody knows who you are by now. This is your third time on the show.
Speaker 2: I think that's leading the way.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is the greatest day ever.
Speaker 2: Very impressive.
Speaker 1: Rebecca Lobo did just request a five timers jacket.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're gonna have to get to working on that.
Speaker 1: If you're already at three, you're moving a lot faster than any of us expected.
Speaker 3: Aaron, Oh my god, I'm gonna yeah start sewing something for me. Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that before we get to the basketball and where the players went and all the things that are most important, the real meat of a draft.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the obvious.
Speaker 1: Because you just talked about sewing and jacket's best fits.
Speaker 2: There were a lot to choose from.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of looks, and there were some surprising looks. I did say in my conversation with Jordan Robinson that I thought that Kiki erie Fen was going to come with something.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure what.
Speaker 1: I don't know that a Nigerian designer mostly known for bridal gowns was the thing. It was giving a little Miss Universe pageant. But it was still gorgeous, Like it was a gorgeous gown. She looked beautiful, her hair looked beautiful. I just was like, this isn't exactly like a draft look, but I love that. Her explanation was she wanted to shout out her Nigerian heritage and she wanted to shout out that designer, and that's as good a reason as any to rock a pageant gown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if she doesn't say that, I'm like, then she said it, I was like, okay, absolutely, what am I going to say? Like? Oh, actually, I didn't think that was a good look. Oh Nigerian designer fantastic.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly how I felt about it. I was like, okay, you sold me on it. You sold me on it because you were pulling it off too.
Speaker 3: It was so dramatic though, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Very dramatic and well. I think what also made it stand out was Coach is a new sponsor of the WNBA. They had their logos all over the carpet, the orange carpet, and a lot of the players were wearing custom Coach or some spin on Coach that they made their own, and a lot of it just looked they looked like assassins.
Speaker 2: Like it was black, it was leather. It was dramatic.
Speaker 1: So I think that's also why Kiki stood out, because she's got this gold, gorgeous gown on. And then you've got the two NC State players, Aziah James and Sanaia Rivers, like look like they were about to make a futuristic action film, like someone said they came from the Fifth Element universe. I think that was mostly like Senaia River's amazing red hair and like the shaved sides, but like they were two of my best dressed just for like straight up action hero vibes. Snaia River's jacket was a little straight jacket with the cutouts and the business. But her hair and the piercings that did it for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Coach I like the Coach Assassins because it was like Irfin was like the bond girl and then surrounded by the assassins. I was picking that up. I gave Senaia Rivers number one look overall vibe and looks vibes. I thought like, she just absolutely nailed it. It's something also she can only pull off if she swapped that out with anybody else, who would be like, what in that holy hell is filling the blank person?
Speaker 2: Right right? They were, So she was up there for me for sure.
Speaker 1: I thought that Sonya Citron had a like weird Caitlin Clark esque vibe with her hair down and the body type and everything else. She also had that coach assassin vibe, the black blazer and the skirch at the White Sox. And Anissa Moro to me was really giving. She had the eye sparkles, the little eye gems. She had the kind of curly middle park hair, going black leather jacket, and then she took it off when she went on stage to just have the black leather dress kind of like her, you know, the musician her. Yeah, it had those kind of vibes to me. I wanted someone to throw an electric guitar over her and her to just like drop a sick, sick bass.
Speaker 3: I bet she could. And I think Collie Rose should be ready next year to throw some guitars at these women because they don't have enough on their plate. Can we just go back to Sonya Citron's white socks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very in now.
Speaker 3: I know it's in, but I prin it's it's the sock in a loafer, the Georgia Amore like up top. Great, but then it panned down and I go, oh god, no, but I know, young, it's.
Speaker 1: Because we're old. I bet you wear an ankle sock, don't you.
Speaker 3: I'm going to stick to the ankle sock till I die.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you, I'm not doing a thick.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know the first two signs that you're an old side part in ankle socks?
Speaker 3: I'm rocking both right now exactly.
Speaker 1: So we're not allowed to say we didn't like it. We have to pretend that we understand it. That's how old we are now we have to be like, yeah, yeah, we like that.
Speaker 3: I thought the sock game was on point.
Speaker 2: Sarah, there you go, I there you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk Paige only because she did an outfit change like this. This woman has changed the game in so many ways, and then she does it again at the draft. I don't think I remember an outfit change ever before.
Speaker 3: I well, I mean, I changed my outfit several times when I'm watching the draft, but that's just for come and then some style.
Speaker 1: And then the tears start to soap through, and then from people's parents crying.
Speaker 3: I start crying, and then I change my socks. I go high low, low high. And then as you're crying, Page's suit, I put number two or no, I put Kiki. I put Kiki to page three.
Speaker 1: The first suit or the second second suit. Okay, So one thing I noticed. Page is not used to not wearing a shirt under her blazer. She was very worried about the girls. She kept holding the blazer closed, and I know there was a lot of tape doing work down there, but I think it might have been the first time she's ever been out in public, rock in that full blazer, nothing underneath vibe.
Speaker 2: She seemed worried.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just my like, I get worried for all of them, just because I put myself in their position and I can only wear heels if I have like I'm hammered on Sauvena blanc. So then I look, I'm like, oh my god, They're like so awkward, and then they have the Oh god, it's it's I get so stressed out for the fits.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I was dressed out for Hailey van Lith, but then I mean absolutely gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous, her Hollywood hair, her dress, that she was, the vibe, she just like looked so glamorous.
Speaker 3: I'm constantly thinking like, oh god, what is she going to say? What's gonna happen? And she just like I was just like, oh she is she can she pull off the outfit? She just she just rocked and her interviews were perfect. And then dating Jalen Suggs, I texted you, I was like, where have I been?
Speaker 1: Not on the internet apparently, because that's been everywhere I've been at Marshall's buying buying Fox Buy. No, He's been like holding her bag literally being a good have a husband and boyfriend standing in the background as she's gotten all the love this weekend, which has been really cool to watch. I thought she looked fantastic and no sign of casino face, which is what I said with Jordan Robinson and the other day, like I don't know why. I just feel like she like could be with the sun and play in it.
Speaker 2: Casino.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's night she Yeah, she looks like a you know, a chain smoker, Like there's so much going on, and then she just starts like tonight she just was like nailing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolute grace and beauty and come into Chicago, which we're going to get to, so let's talk about this. We won't get to Chicago first, even though there's a lot I have to say about that, Let's just start off the top. Obviously, Paigebeckers goes to the wings. I love that she got emotional talking about her teammates. She's been stoic at almost every turn, except for after they won, there was a bit of a breakdown of you know, just emotion. But for the most part every interview she's like, yep, I expected this, this is great.
Speaker 2: I love my teammates. And then Holly finally got her.
Speaker 1: Holly is always given a list of things to make people cry, sometimes by the players themselves, so this is not a shot at Holly. The players ask her to ask them questions about the most emotional things, somebody who passed away or a parent who did it. But I did love that page cry talking about her teammates. We finally got her. Dominique Belonga to the Storm, No big surprise there. I did like the comps because when it's a foreign player like that, you haven't seen as much if you've seen the highlights, which are incredible. But Cheney in the pre draft comping her to John Qwell Jones, and then during the draft the Elena Deladon comp which is an interesting one too. Deledon'm not as tall, obviously got a couple inches on her, but when Deledon came into the league, there weren't as many Unicorn type players, and she really helped us see a big who can stretch the floor, hit threes, even run the point at times. And looking at Dominique Belonga's skill set, it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: I yeah, and I was googling the whole time. Can she play now? Somebody help me I was like, what are the ages because I know it's twenty one doing the twenty two, but I was like, they must be drafting her to play right nineteen, they have to turn twenty. She is ready, got she's I think I think they make the international players a little bit yet, like, okay, that they're younger because they start you know, because they're start playing.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that's why I was not because they start playing pro young, but because I am allowed to drink.
Speaker 3: I think they're allowed to drink. It spoke at like age nine. So by the time they're nineteen, they're like, are thirty six their.
Speaker 1: Lungs are ready? Yes, the demands of a professional season. No, she just needs to be twenty by December of the calendar year of the draft, December thirty first.
Speaker 2: So so she changed.
Speaker 3: It for me. She's ready once I double checked seventeen times if she was ready. I was like, is there was there going to be a little like Mulongo one page two gas. But I did think at the end of the day, Dallas, with the you know, new stadium and all the money they're pouring in, I just don't think you could. I think Maloga in like five years everyone's just going to be like, holy crafty. I mean, the dunking with ease is unreal.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you that it might end up being like, oh, she was the because in the pre show they were like, who's the steal of the draft and they said the number two pick, which usually isn't considered a steal unless you think they should be the number one pick, which, to your point, in a couple of years we might be saying that about her. On the other hand, there's a big difference between a six to six player that works within a system versus someone like Page that can create for herself and others and is as efficient as she is and will be able to presumably maybe contribute a little faster just because of her maturity, although again, Dominique's been playing so long pro but I'm fascinated to see how she develops. And I do think when you're the Wings just tickets wise, that team has no right to have already sold out all of its tickets for next year if it wasn't for Page.
Speaker 3: So I think all the state of Texas would be like set everything on fire if they didn't take Page. You know, if Texas was like like just picture the average Texan. I'm just saying, and then they hear Dominique Malonga. I'm just saying, that's not going to go from France. The France know about basketball.
Speaker 1: By the way, her English impeccable, barely even a trace of accent, not just like a natural speaker, but like you couldn't even tell. It was wild, just impressive personal run. And her dad was an absolute unit. I wanted to know so many things about that man and what he did with his size.
Speaker 2: I bet a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, the mystics took Sony said, Tron, not surprising this is, and we talked about fits like outfits. I'm just gonna say this is one of my best fits as in person to team. She's a great shooter three, and d replaces a player in Ariel at Kins that they traded away to the Sky. They've got two open starting spots. They've got Shakira Austin, Eliah Edwards, Britney Sykes. That's really it, fun, Yeah, that's really it for like guaranteed to be starting. So she has a great opportunity there. She's taller than you think because of her style of play, and I think because they've got a little bit of a big surplus. The next pick of Kiki Eriefen is interesting. I think think so many players are going to relocate next year when the CBA changes. There was this incredible statistic that one hundred and five of one hundred and thirty two players in the league will be free agents after this season.
Speaker 2: Only two of them are at the end of a rookie contract.
Speaker 1: So it's all other veterans that have timed this out to be sure they could take advantage of the new CBA. So with that in mind, the Mystic's already having three front court players on rookie contracts and then adding Kik isn't as big of a deal because who knows if those players are sticking around or going elsewhere. But I did think Sonia made a ton of sense Kiki. That'll be interesting to see where they slaughter and how they mix her in with the rest of the players they've got.
Speaker 3: For me, I would have taken Morow. I liked Moorrow over Kiki the entire season the last couple of years. I think Kiki's great. I just you know they made it. I forget who was talking, but they were like, you know, she shows up in big games and I don't. To me, I'm not sure she shows up in big games. I think she's got a ton of upside and in a couple of years. But Morrow to me is like WNBA ready get her on the court. I thought that back to back Connecticut picks were just the steal of the draft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing I'll say about Kiki I agree with you. Especially the last two games of the tournament I think really hurt her. After having a really great game in the game Juju went out, she stepped up and looked fantastic. But one thing to consider is that's a team who's been built around Juju for two seasons and then she's out, and it'd be really hard to reset game plan and establish a whole different approach mid tournament. So it'd be interesting to have seen what would happen if there was more time for them to plan around Kiki with more of a season of experience there. So I give her the benefit of the doubt on that, but I agree with you. I love Anissa Moro to the Sun. In the pregame, she was talking about like when she really first started to see double doubles as sort of like the average for her, and she said, well, I had a double double in my second game my freshman year, So I guess that's when I.
Speaker 3: Really like you asked me a question. That's interesting, third and.
Speaker 1: D one history and rebounds all time at six to one. I think that's all you need to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when Mochi goes off on someone, you know, to that extent, she's like, Marrow's the you know, my my my godmother, the mother to my god Like, she just was just like Marrow's got you know, she's in my will. Like she just went off and I was like, oh wow, Like I grab Morrow, right.
Speaker 1: And I also think the great comp that everyone has said is you look at Angel Reese and the questions about Angel going into the draft based on like skill size, all the other things, and then how she performed at the pro level, which was so much about heart and effort.
Speaker 2: And that dog mentality. That's what Anissa's gonna bring. So even if she seems a little undersized, I think she's going to make an impact right away really quick.
Speaker 1: At five, the Valkyries took Usta. You stay, I'm gonna have to learn all these names. The Lithuanian player debuted for her national team at age thirteen.
Speaker 3: That's so, I say, because she started smoking and during so by age thirteen, yeah, she was she.
Speaker 1: Had a perfectly preserved liver and she was ready for play. Also wild first Lithuanian drafted in twenty five years, which is its long gaps in between.
Speaker 3: So, but five I thought that. I mean, I guess maybe I shouldn't be shocked if I lived in Lithuania and I saw her playing many a time, but I thought that was early.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and also just the Valkyries have such an international flair, it'll be interesting to see how they put all those pieces together. The mystics at number six, Georgia Amore. They did her wrong in that early when they threw all the sixteen players that showed up to the draft on stage, and she was between two bigs and she.
Speaker 2: Looked like a child.
Speaker 1: She looked like someone's child that they had brought on stage with them. She's only five six, and yet her ability to create space is why she got drafted at six. If she was not able to make room for her shot at the level she did, they would not be willing to take a chance on her at a level that has even more bigger faster, stronger players, but she joined Caitlin Clark and Sabrina and Escu as the only Division one players to have twenty three hundred plus points and eight hundred plus assists in their career. Had a longer career, but not that many more games. Just a dog, an absolute dog.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love her and I love her socks. Just for all the young people listening, I it was funny because they hyped up Amore going potentially to go to the Valkyries and they're like, if.
Speaker 2: You want to face and you want.
Speaker 3: The energy, and then they're like and choice it and I was like what And so then then I was like, Okay, where's Amore? And so the next pick with Amore that one, I was just like debating, like do you go Rivers there or do you go Amore? But Amore just wins and she's so fun to watch, and I think maybe it's it's debatable though, if you could debate that well.
Speaker 1: It ended up being the son that took Sanaia Rivers from mc State at number eight. They went with Anissa More at seven, Sanaia Rivers at eight, again with some of those statistics that like you know, NC State didn't make it as deep into the tournament, and so you weren't always watching maybe as much of them down the stretch. But one hundred assists, fifty steels, forty blocks. Only Juju, Sarah Strong, and Senaia Rivers did that this year.
Speaker 2: That's some pretty decent company.
Speaker 3: I think Marina Maybray is happy, and I think maybe she's like now deleting some of the get me out of Connecticut tweets because I think those two pickups, pickup picks, up whatever I'm trying to say, those pickups, some slizing picks.
Speaker 1: Seems like, Yeah, I mean, they're still all going to practice in a gym next to a ten year old's birthday, but you know, make some sacrifices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their new practice facilities at Chuck E Cheese. We got to take a quick break more on the WNBA draft with Aaron Foley.
Speaker 2: When we come back. Sarah Ashley Barker to the Sparks at nine.
Speaker 1: Boy, did she help her draft stock with that double overtime game against Marilyn. If you watch that game, you know that Sarah Ashley Barker can go the off forty five points three straight free throws to keep the game like alive and to keep her team alive. Lobo's come for her with Sophie Cunningham, I hoped it didn't go beyond the court. Just about the basketball, yep, and the bond, but a killer, a killer. She also stole her mom's whole face, like when they had the when they had the split screen, I was like, ma'am, it.
Speaker 3: Was like, this is what you're gonna look like with a little bit of plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: Exactly, just just a little the same face identic. Was there a dad involved or was this a like a future unique.
Speaker 3: I think it was a unique, you know, like procedure or she just comes out.
Speaker 2: They say, eventually men will be obsolete. We won't actually need them.
Speaker 1: We'll be able to create like the sperm through a lab and then have our own kids and not deal with that mess. We're already there, right, So Ashley Barker proves it.
Speaker 3: I love this pick, by the way, for the jerks. Absolutely loved it because you know, I watched so much, you know, Sparks just being out in LA and I think the like you know, the office, it was like shooter, shooter, shooter. I probably shouldn't say that three times out loud, but in not in certain parts of all, certain parts of LA. We're all over America quite frankly anymore. That I was thinking, you know, they had mentioned like maybe pow here great pick up for Atlanta, but so I thought, maybe this is like a little bit early. But then I think it's that bulldog with Kelsey Plum six foot sc You know they're ready, those SEC players are ready to go.
Speaker 1: Right and like just aesthetically, in a totally shallow way, you just picture her and Cameron running around La little Barbie dolls.
Speaker 3: You know I might be following them with a camera from a safe distance.
Speaker 1: Well you are required to after that one incident, right, how many more years on that restraining order?
Speaker 3: Six and a half?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: My team up next, of course, went with someone I haven't seen a minute of.
Speaker 2: I texted you, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, and like, seems like a good bit, but I can't say her name and I've never seen her play.
Speaker 2: I think it's Aisha.
Speaker 1: Sivka Addoslovenia Leoni Phoebish comp which I love, and her like idol as Brianna Stewart. Yes please, I'll take that. Six or four player shoots threes. This is what the Sky needed. They made fewer than five threes per game last year. That is a real statistic. They need floor spacing, they need shooting, They need to set up their Bigs and Angel and Camille Lecardo so with enough of a thread outside that you actually have to respect it, which they haven't had. So between adding Courtney Vanderslute that's going to be able to facilitate move the ball around, get it into the bigs, and then having this long stretched player that's going to be on on the perimeter fits every single thing that they're head front office and coaching stead that they wanted, length, shot creation, versatility. So I'm enthusiastic about her, but I don't know a damn thing about her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all I know is I went from wait, who to absolutely crying hysterical her dad, Oh my, this is what I mean by how does Holly Road do it? Like? I would just be so I would be that seriously is the I couldn't do that job if you paid me a gazillion dollars, Like I would just be crying the whole time.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a what's what's it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What you know?
Speaker 1: When you say like the dad has like pregnancy pains for like the mom while she's pregnant.
Speaker 2: What's that called again, Oh, sympathy pains, yes, pathe paints. I have that for crying.
Speaker 1: If somebody else is crying, I just start crying, Just just start crying.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you're crying. Oh no ah. And it's very bad.
Speaker 1: When I've done like tough interviews with people who are talking about like struggles or kids who are sick, I just am like supposed to be interviewing them, but instead I'm just like staring at them crying back, and I'm like, well, we won't.
Speaker 2: Use those kind of ways to me. Uh, That's exactly what happy with her dad? It was he because he wasn't tearing up. He was sobbing.
Speaker 3: He was sobbing. And then and then yeah, Holly Rowe, I really don't know how she does it. Then she's just like your dad's here tonight and I'm under the desk like just literally rocking back and forth, and she's like just.
Speaker 2: Fine, like everything's fine, right.
Speaker 1: So then we go from that where I'm like, who to Hailey Van Lith hmm loved her interview. How do you honor your parents who gave up so much for you and you said, I want to take this dream as far as I can.
Speaker 2: I just I just love that now, listen, that's a perfect fit. Perhaps not.
Speaker 1: Her worst season in college was with a team that ran the ball through the post and really accentuated their bigs. That was not where she played well at LSU, and yet also completely different game at the pro level.
Speaker 2: Different bigs, different coach, different everything.
Speaker 1: And she has incredible confidence coming off this season at TCU. If Angel Rees can become more of like a pick and roll big and if they can play off each other, well, the dog in her, the fight in her is going to be really fun. Angel and Haley together, Like who the wants to play against that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know as much as you can say. Like again, I thought it was going to be Isaiah James there like or I don't know, I just didn't see Haley vanlt going that early. But at the same point in time, like all she does is win. Like the LSU system obviously just wasn't didn't fit her. So who knows about your.
Speaker 1: And that's why it's like, oh, so put her back with the other star from LS you that it didn't really work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then the coach. They were saying, the coach, Tyler marsh is like great with developing young players, and I was like, okay, that's something. Vander Slute is her mentor, which is just funny. Vander Slute van Lit like I can't even think of those two, Like I'm just I don't even Haley van Lit is like, you know.
Speaker 1: You know what she'll like if Haley does all the interviews and she doesn't have to say shit because you know what, Corney Vanderslut doesn't like talking to media.
Speaker 3: All right, well there you go, and I think maybe Haley van Lit would you know, I always get really nervous, but like super Christian players like are around gays. So maybe Haley's mind will expand because of the dream teams.
Speaker 1: There's so many, there's so many, so many what could go wrong, I guess is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I do love that.
Speaker 1: Angel Reese immediately retweeted that the Sky had picked Hbl and said, we ain't do it right the first time, Let's run it back.
Speaker 2: So she's pumped to be.
Speaker 1: Paired up again and yeah, we hope and pray in Chicago that works a little better the second time around. But I just for the pure fun of it, I'm in And then you mentioned Asiah James went next at number twelve to the wings great attitude, she can go off and again, like I mentioned, something's in the water at NC State because between her and Sinaia Rivers and their fits, I was like, I should have been watching Morency State all season long if that's what they were dealing with. Anybody from the second round you want to mention to me, the big standout was how far Cheyenne Cellars fell from Maryland but ended up being such a great thing for her because she will have a real opportunity at Golden State.
Speaker 2: I talked about this with Jordan Robinson on Friday.
Speaker 1: Basically, you've got you know, best pick, and it sounds nice to be at the top, but if you don't go to the right place where they have roster room for you and you can actually compete, it doesn't do much for you. I think Cheyenne probably didn't want to drop to sixteen, but she has a real chance to make a difference.
Speaker 2: Immediately.
Speaker 3: Oh, I loved it, and it was also the first gay moment, so that was really fun. She was just like, I'm engaged and then it panned to a woman, and I was like, that's exciting because the WNBA is super gay in the draft was not and I need everything, I need everything gayer. But I think she Yeah, I think she's a great fit. I also just think that's really exciting too, because there's so many unknowns, so maybe she can go in and just like kind of take it over. I think that was super fun. Another one I thought that was a great fit was, uh, well the Fever. If they can't get any better, those back to back breakall and Timpson.
Speaker 2: I was just like, yeah, MICHAELA.
Speaker 1: Timpson's like, isn't there like a biological stat that your wingspan is supposed to match your heights?
Speaker 2: So when they six six to two with a six' ten, Wingspan i'm, like but is she?
Speaker 3: Okay are those her original?
Speaker 2: Arms? Yeah like she Isn't.
Speaker 3: Steward doesn't she have Like google gadget.
Speaker 1: Arms? Yeah like you, know they're always, like, oh your foot is the same length as your, forearm and you're, like, no it's.
Speaker 2: Not and then you're, like, oh maybe it is exactly the.
Speaker 1: Same but like, YEAH i MEAN I i have a longer wingspan than my, height SO i get, it but not by eight.
Speaker 3: Inches like she's actually five to two and she's a seven to ten Wigspan wait what was? That somewhat fact check? It but you know they got rid of which was so unfortunate Because I'M i HOPE i pronounced her name. Right is it Fag belly, right Fag Belly.
Speaker 1: Yeah F belly Still Bley tamwa Fag, bentley Fag.
Speaker 2: Bentley.
Speaker 3: YEAH i love the clerk to Fag bentley. Connection and Now timson coming in like the whole rim running LIKE i love. THAT i love all of. THAT i was, like that is going to be super, fun so all of a, sudden like the fever who didn't really need any? Picks, yeah back to. Back, yeah and it's actually How i'm.
Speaker 1: It's Actually temmy Fag, beenle BUT i made her Tem washawingua, so which by the, way was right off the socker, Fielder temmy Fag benley and Tem.
Speaker 2: Washawenka and you put them, together hell of an, athlete.
Speaker 3: Hell of an elevate and what what they wear to the?
Speaker 2: Draft lord only? Knows. Uh, okay what else do you have to add about this? DRAFT i have a. COUPLE i have a couple of.
Speaker 1: Things ONE i was considering and thinking about the moment that was most likely to age poorly BECAUSE.
Speaker 3: I at the same, moment wait, TIME i was.
Speaker 1: Going through The uh some of the previous draft fits and draft features that the league has, done some of them didn't quite hit and are already like that was only three years. Ago, Uh so give me your moment most likely at age. Poorly could be a word, choice an outfit, choice a boyfriend or partner.
Speaker 3: Choice, well you, know, LISTEN i had socks and, loafers but immediately crossed it out after you SAID i was eighty. Nine so my, second, my my one THAT i JUST i gasped and THEN i hit the pause Was Ryan, ruco WHO i. LOVE i go around the house AND i, go you bit Is he, said Here's Holly rowe to tell us what's going on in The big d AND, i of course he Met. Dallas BUT i couldn't stop.
Speaker 1: Laughing, yeah that WAS i don't know if it's that it'll age poorly so much as it'll become a.
Speaker 2: Meme and be, Used yeah a. LOT i didn't have a great one for. THIS i did Think Sanaia.
Speaker 1: Rivers she had a purse that said the wnba Ben, poppin', like, hey don't show up right, now it's actually Ben, poppin' WHICH i, love except, for as we all, know slang exists for roughly four minutes these, days because then TikTok immediately picks a new, word and then once we old find out what that old word, is then it's old and you can't use it. Anymore So i'm just worried for her That Ben poppin is going to be so. Out it's like if she had said gimbity toilet on her purse and everyone knows we're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Anymore you, KNOW.
Speaker 3: I actually just got an, Update, sarah ben poppin is. Done, yeah absolutely, well two.
Speaker 1: Old white women just said, it So i'm pretty sure that's actually how they decide.
Speaker 2: That so, Sorry, Sanaya.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna, Tomorrow i'm gonna spend the whole day Saying Ben poppin.
Speaker 1: Poppin' and you bet speaking of things THAT i think will age, well Because i'm gonna have to see it probably fifty to sixty times a, day the New welcome to the W ad that was running during the.
Speaker 3: Draft OH i did you watch? It? NO i don't THINK i saw it.
Speaker 1: Okay so it starts out with an all black screen and it says, warning the following content will be, offensive and then it shows a couple awesome sick plays on offense and, defensive and then a couple of sick plays from last season on defense and, confident and then a bunch of swagger and it goes to a couple of those all these amazing sick highlights from THE w and then at the END i didn't write it, down but it says like and it will have you changing your password to oh my, god THE Wnba hoopers are so. Good they're, AMAZING i can't stop, watching or something like. That but the way the music and the cuts and, everything it's like kind of like last year's where they had That.
Speaker 2: Hi welcome to THE.
Speaker 1: W you're gonna find that it's more physical than, you you, know like they're trying to combat the dumb shits who don't understand that basketball is. Physical and this one's done in a slightly more subtle, way but still getting to that point of like you're going to see people going after it and that's the, Game so get used to it and enjoy it and, stop you, know acting Like Kaitlin clark is made of.
Speaker 3: Glass, yeah, well that's awesome because anything that gets people to realize that women now can run past half court and not being a skirt is very exciting for. Me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we talked about this last time. Too neither you NOR i have ever seen a uterus fall. Out, now that doesn't mean it won't, happen and we've been promised it for centuries when we.
Speaker 2: Exercise but fingers. Crossed so, far so.
Speaker 3: Good that's WHY i wear high sucks because you never know when my uterus is going to get caught in my yellow, green yellow tube sock THAT i borrowed from my.
Speaker 2: Father got to catch, us that's.
Speaker 1: RIGHT a couple other THINGS i, Noticed, Uh Lena deladon in The mystics draft. ROOM i had, missed BUT i guess she's now a special advisor to the ownership, group which is. AWESOME i love that she's sticking around the, game AND i loved seeing her head, down like really into.
Speaker 2: It as they were making their.
Speaker 1: PICKS i also loved before before the draft, Started Brianna STEWART wnba, champion one of the greatest basketball players of all. Time, currently you, know on The liberty which didn't have a lot to think about in this. Draft they were allowed to make a, PICK i, think but didn't need. To. Uh she tweeted out just before on the subway and somebody asked me If i'm going To barclays for the draft because she was WORRIED i was on the wrong.
Speaker 2: Train which draft not At.
Speaker 1: Barclays, also maybe she would go to the draft to watch and like cheer, on but she didn't need to be. Involved So i'm wondering if this lady thought she was just a tall who might be headed, there or actually knew she Was Brianna stewart and was, like, OH i would imagine she'd be going to the.
Speaker 2: Draft do you know how to get Around New, york? MA'AM i, MEAN i.
Speaker 3: Just this is WHY i Love New york so, Much and even THOUGH i Love La New york is home and, sorry it's the greatest city in the. World when superstars take the, subway it's very.
Speaker 2: Charming it is. CHARMING i just ride right. Alone the pizza.
Speaker 3: Rats, listen every city's got. Something we just have extra.
Speaker 1: LARGE i think we actually have more rats Than New york IF i remember. Correctly chicago's not doing a great job because we don't give ours birth control like you guys.
Speaker 3: Do, well you gotta those women in.
Speaker 2: Line we. Do we let our rat ladies run free here In. Chicago i'll tell you.
Speaker 3: That The Lena della dune though really. QUICK i WAS I i, gasped then went on Her instagram stories AND i was like sweet BECAUSE i thought maybe there was bad, blood LIKE i don't, know it just it felt like she had been gone. Forever and then are they moving? On AND i want her to Play.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make a bad taste. Joke are we okay with it because she's my?
Speaker 2: Friend oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah the only bad blood is hers because of that limes. Disease oh, no, Sorry, lena you KNOW i love.
Speaker 2: You it just it was a.
Speaker 3: Layup it was it was low hanging. Fro it was it was it was a six foot.
Speaker 1: Hoop she did at one point say she thought the lee should lower the, Hoops SO i guess that.
Speaker 3: Is oh, yeah that Wasn't that wasn't.
Speaker 1: Great, listen you can't agree with everyone all the. Time, okay we got to wrap this. Up did you have the biggest surprise of the.
Speaker 3: Night, oh the biggest. SURPRISE i THINK i come back to The connecticut son feeling completely irrelevant to like exciting now they also picked Up marshall in usc to going, oh, well THAT'S i don't. KNOW i didn't think they'd get those picks back to, back AND i, thought good For, connecticut like they're on they're on the map now after what felt, like you, know just, like oh, god the Poor Connecticut sun fans who loses all five?
Speaker 1: PLAYER i, know and actually like when they cut away to their like draft watch it was a real tight. Shot AND i know that shot from women's sports in the early years when they're, like don't pan.
Speaker 2: Out we can see that the crowd's not filled.
Speaker 1: In it was a real tight, shot AND i don't Blame sun fans for not wanting to come out in.
Speaker 3: Droves, yeah it was basically Like Marina maybrain for slot, machines and NOW i feel like they got some really good players on the.
Speaker 1: Court SO i said it Was marina and the spices That Djna carrington gave her At.
Speaker 2: Unrival she was just like her.
Speaker 1: Time cilantro Dried cilantro of, course and Then oregano at the. Point, okay my LAST i guess biggest surprise for me AND i know That coach was a, sponsor And i'm sure it was part of the whole styling. Process But Paige becker's giant, Purse, NOW i know That Paige beckers always travels with a whole bunch of, stuff and lord knows what was actually in that, bag And i'm sure sure there was a reason for her to have it just felt incongruous To page's vibe to have like a mom purse that yeah would, have like, pampers like snacks and diapers and you, know a hair.
Speaker 2: Brush you never know when you're going to need.
Speaker 1: One BUT i asked on social what's In page's giant? Bag wrong answers, only And i'm going to read a bunch of them because we got a lot of good. Ones Asyfudd she was, there SO i didn't see her on the.
Speaker 2: Carpet might have been stushed in the.
Speaker 1: Bag the bruised ego of, man the nuclear, coats the souls of a billion in, cells that unrivaled, money and a healthy snack for. Later the giant ass rice crispy treat apparently A yukon. Tradition shout out to you for listening to our show and knowing about the rice crispy treat, table the hopes of Every Dallas wings.
Speaker 2: Fan Kevin, hart sure, her she's in her.
Speaker 1: BAG i like that one, ankles just a collection of ankles that she's.
Speaker 2: Broken chicken.
Speaker 1: Nuggies love that foil wrapped, plate which people have already decided she will be arriving to every game with a foil wrapped plate for her teammates of cookies or other things that she's. Brought Gino, oriemma you've heard of elf on a. Shelf this is coach and a. Coach it's pretty. Good the, net of, course that she's been wearing. EVERYWHERE i, thought perhaps her, braids because she's ending that style so now she's just retired them and carries them around in her. Bag perhaps the cam quorder from last year's. Draft of course it was actually a, phone but because she became The Amy pohlar, MEME.
Speaker 2: I thought an actual cam. Quarder AND i think my.
Speaker 1: Favorite someone just said and one shorts and A King james copy of The, bible BECAUSE i think that's probably.
Speaker 3: Accurate, YEAH i Had Georgia, amore so we. WERE i Had Georgia amore and a litter of baby. Huskies Baby jonathan's and Then keith ire Of finns seven other dress. Options who, knows BUT i want to.
Speaker 1: Know, well here comes an awkward. Transition, Aaron you're always in your. Bag so thank you for coming on to talk to us about the draft live just moments after it. Wrapped if anything weird happened late in the second round or in the third, round or like someone made a trade to somebody, else and then things are all, different too. Bad that's the show for, today and we'll talk about it another.
Speaker 3: DAY i hope someone call me and tell ME i got drafted in the third. Round, well where are you gonna go?
Speaker 2: Here where do you want to?
Speaker 3: GO i will, LITERALLY i will literally go. Anywhere i'll be the face of a new team that has it's just an idea for a. Team i'll sit on anyone's, Bench i'll bring, Water i'll do whatever it.
Speaker 2: Takes.
Speaker 1: Perfect we got to take another break when we come, back a return to form that has us flippin'.
Speaker 2: Pumped welcome, back.
Speaker 1: Slices hope you enjoyed the draft as much as we. Did THE wnba season is right around the. Corner preseason games Start may second and include a few special contests like the ones featuring The brazilian national team and The Toyota antelopes of The Women's Japan Basketball, league and then the regular season tips Off, Friday may. Sixteenth that weekend's highlights include the first Ever Golden State valkyries, Game Paige becker's w debut with The Dallas, wings and the first round Of angel Versus Caitlin year. Two so much to look forward, to don't. Worry we'll get you ready for the start of the season with team by team previews and. More in the, meantime we want to know what you want to. Know do you have any BURNING wnba questions we can answer in the lead up to this? Season maybe, rules you don't, understand, traditions you think we should highlight or explain players you'd love a deeper dive. On that's your good game play of the day slices because you know that we love that you're, listening but we always want you to go in the game every day, Too so send THOSE wnba questions and suggestions To Good game at wondermedianetwork dot. Com countdown TO wnba twenty twenty five is.
Speaker 2: On and don't forget to.
Speaker 1: Subscribe rate and review, y'all it's easy watch old SCHOOL wnba draft fits and, flops rating five out of. Five awkward walks down Memory lane review Super Slice Amanda vaalo helped the show prep for THE Wnba draft by sending us a feature from the twenty twenty two draft that somehow feels way more than three years. Old in the, clip, draft ds pick up an absolutely not actually working or connected rotary phone to quote unquote answer a call from a celebrity or family member congratulating them on their. Selection but the calls are just pre recorded, voicemails And Slice amanda brings up a lot of good questions why rotary phones for players born in like two?
Speaker 2: Thousand did they even know that that was a?
Speaker 1: Phone and find let's say we're insisting on doing a flashback to the olden, days why not at least have it make sense and have them listen to the message on an old school answering. Machine and perhaps most, egregiously why would you include a full minute long message From Germany's satusaboli to her sister without any? Captions guten morgan guz?
Speaker 2: Indite?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Now some of the old features like that one were clearly flops and some of the footage from early drafts really makes clear how much the league has grown and how much investment has. Changed but nothing tells the passage of time like the early. Fits do yourself a favor and check out the AT Brw Sports instagram page and check out their post from a few days ago highlighting some of the draft fashion over the. Years special shout out To front of The Show Sidney coulson on That JERRY seinfeldesk pirate, Shirt Sylvia fowls on her cosplay of an off The Strip vegas magician with that, hat and forever our favorite friend of the, Show Sue birds casual tank, top black pants and. Sandals and in the ultimate two thousand and two flashback draft, shot she's sitting in a retan pop usan, chair legs crossed in that tank top black pants. Combo we all wanted one of those chairs for our dorm. Rooms peer one in World market could not stock enough of, Them so shout out To sue for perfectly encapsulating that. Moment we'll put a link to The instagram page and a link to that video in the show.
Speaker 2: Notes now it's your turn, slices rate and. Review thanks for. Listening y'all see you.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow Good game Erin Good game page in The Dallas WINGS Hw Nobody drafting Erin Good game With Sarah spain is An iHeart women's sports production in partnership With Deep Blue sports And. Entertainment you can find us on The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your. Podcasts production By Wonder Media, network our producers.
Speaker 2: Are Alex azzie And Misha.
Speaker 1: Jones our executive producers Are Christina, Everett Jesse, Katz Jenny, kaplan And Emily. Rudder our editors Are Emily, Rudder Britney, martinez And Grace. Lynch our associate producer Is Lucy jones And I'm Your Host Sarah spain