Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's our one on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Ete Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. Stay as long as you like. We'll be here for the next three hours.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, you get to listen and watch. That's an extra bonus. We are eye Candy, right.
Speaker 3: Heck yeah, nobody. Okay, we are eye Candy, aren't we.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we are Ye for my shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I know I'm ear candy, but eye candy. If you would like to watch, you can download the app Peacock. Say good morning to all of our radio affiliates around the country. We will get phone calls as we always do. We've got Play of the Day, poll question stat of the Day. Make sure you take advantage of our clearance sale at Danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by but Any America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show all right, in no particular order. The giant sign Wilson Patriots quietly grabbed Stefan Diggs. Scary Scary time for Dame Lillard and the Bucks out with a blood clot Oklahoma City is the first team to sixty wins. Ovechkin does it again. He's at eight eight nine and he is six from the record. A couple of years ago, we had no Patinos in the Big East.
Speaker 3: Now we have two.
Speaker 2: Richard Patino goes to Xavier and of course his father at Saint John's. More than one thousand players have entered the transfer portal. We'll talk about that coming up. We play in or out a little bit later on and let me see anything else. Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. I was on the phone with the source yesterday talking about the Cleveland Browns and I said, hey, you guys interested in Russell Wilson. He goes, Russ just signed with the Giants. I go, okay, so you're not interested in Russell Wilson. It said, uh, we were, but and I said, okay, so that means you're taking Shador Sanders and he goes. Everybody is tight lipped about what the Browns are doing. They have the number two pick in the draft, and I was wondering about this. So this is where you get different agendas. The Browns could take Shador Sanders. Now, once again, don't take our quarterback. Take the quarterback, the quarterback who fits your style, your coaching staff, your system, all of those things. But if you take Shador Sanders, now, I got a rookie contract. Now that eases some of the financial pain from Deshaun Watson's contract. You can let him kind of fade away. He'll never play for you again, and you get Shador Sanders as your quarterback. Now, you're also going to pass up on guys who might be wearing a gold jacket when their careers are over, Abdul Carter and Travis Hunter. So you'd be passing up two guys out of this draft where you could probably say, if they play a awardingly according to what the scouts assess their talents, they'll be Hall of Fame caliber players. You don't know that about cam Orton. You don't know that about Shudor Sanders. But then I asked my source, I said, well, what about Kirk Cousins. He said, well, he'd have to be healthy and he's going to cost us a draft pick. And I said, okay, but he's played with Kevin Stefanski, you're head coach before he's been with him before he said yes. I said, okay, just help me understand this though, because you don't have a quarterback now. I mean, you don't have a true starting quarterback. And I keep feeling and hearing that maybe Kirk Cousins once the draft is over, And this.
Speaker 3: Is what I keep going back to. If you're the.
Speaker 2: Browns, you can get Russ, you can keep him in the division, and then you can decide what you want to do. Maybe you take Adual Carter, the great edge rusher out of Penn State, so you get him with Miles Garrett and then all of a sudden you got something there. But if you don't and you take Shador Sanders, you're not ready to win now, but you still get your quarterback, quarterback contract, quarterback of the future. Then you have the giant situation. They already brought in Jameis Winston, they had Tommy DeVito, and I kept thinking, Okay, now this is where Shador Sanders is going. But I'm not so sure because you brought you brought in Russ and Jameis Winston, and I'm thinking this coaching staff and this GM have to win now. If you bring in Shador Sanders, he might not play. You might have Jameis Winston out there if you didn't bring in Russ. That feels like, you know, they're probably on an eight or nine game schedule. This coaching staff and GM like they have to be able to win now. They might not like Shador Sanders and maybe they end up with Travis Hunter, maybe they end up with Abdull Carter. Those are great, great players to have that fall into your lap. But that's where I'm wondering about the mindset of the coaching staff in GM.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously John Mayer, the owner of the Giants, can see through this. Who's the best guy to take who helps us big picture? Not necessarily right now because you're not right now, not in that division, but you have a coaching staff that better win. They better have a seven and two record, six and three record. It feels like after nine games, or if they have a three win they're three and six after nine to keep them and I think their timeframe is we got to get somebody who can help us win now. Jamis Winston, Russell Wilson one year deals, no real long term commitments. There were good Maybe we don't like the other quarterback or other quarterbacks in the draft, Maybe we try to get Jackson Dart a little later on, maybe Jalen out of Alabama. So I was I was all over my source just trying to get some kind of information on what's going on with Cleveland, and I couldn't get it. Didn't know if they were sold on Shador. I didn't know if that's the place that he went to and he interviewed, and the quarterbacks coach thought he was arrogant. I you know, because does Dion want his son to go to the Cleveland Browns? And I wondered about that as well. I keep thinking New York because it feels like Shador, if he goes to New York, he already walks in. He's got a really good wide receiver there, and he's built for this. Like of all of the players, if you're built for the media capitol, if you're built for a spotlight, it would be Shador Sanders. His dad welcomed the spotlight. Shador seems to welcome the spotlight as well, and doesn't always work out. I go back with baseball, and I remember Greg Maddox didn't want to play in New York. Remember ed Witson pitcher. He wanted out in New York, Zach Wilson, New York felt too big for him. Eli Manning was ready for it. His personality made him ready for New York. You know, Aaron Rodgers, he welcomed it, it's just his achilles didn't. And even then there was still thought that maybe he would end up with the Giants because he didn't want to leave New York. He loved going to the Rangers games, standing ovation, going to the Knicks games. Like, you go to New York, you better embrace it. If not, it'll steamroll you. But that's what I thought, was Shador Sanders. He's ready for New York if he's the right quarterback for you, which I still don't know. Cam Ward is a really good quarterback, but he's not a really good quarterback in the bigger picture of quarterbacks in the NFL right now, because when we talked to draft analysts, they talk about cam Ward would be would have been the fifth or sixth quarterback taken last year. Okay, Matt Miller, great job at the Mothership said that recently. I mean, that's not a knock on him. He's still he's just the best quarterback. Now, it's timing when you come out. Who are the other quarterbacks who are coming out? And he's the best quarterback this year, but he separated himself. It feels like from Shador Sanders. So that was going on yesterday afternoon, and I kept thinking, I just spent forty five minutes talking to my sores and I didn't get anything out of it. I was like, dang, I gotta get I have to ask better questions. And I usually do pretty good asking questions. I couldn't get anything tight lipped. That's what I was told. Yep, Brown's tight lipped on what they're doing at number two. Come on, maybe they don't know. Maybe that's why they're the Cleveland Browns. And be like, wait, we got the second pick on the dew. Hey, hey, we got the second pick of the draft. By the way, this first hour brought to you by Mako. Your car could use a little TLC. How many times you've gone out and you look at your car in the.
Speaker 3: Line and you go, oh, I got a scratch there.
Speaker 2: At Mako, they bring your car back to life, affordable paint chumps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Mako. All right, Seaton, what's the poll question first.
Speaker 6: Hour better pregame speech guy on the Giants, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you looking for inspiration or entertainment? Because Jamis might not inspire me, but he would entertain me. So I would say Russ would give you.
Speaker 3: The raw, raw raw. But I just wonder if it matters to these guys. Now you're grown up. You're in there and you got somebody going, well, we're gonna run, we're doing and we're gonna tailor head up and around, and then you're like, all right, let's go. But I would say Jamis would be entertaining.
Speaker 6: I'm of the camp that Jameis Winston is extremely annoying.
Speaker 3: He we only see a little bit. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't find him amusing at all. Oh, I think he's he's not trying to be amusing. He's one of those guys that like Fritzy, he's funny, but not when he's not trying to be funny.
Speaker 3: I think there's a complimentary somewhere he didn't really be.
Speaker 6: I think Jamis Winston is trying to be funny. I think he's okay, like class clown kind of guy.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: I can't tell whether Jamis is in on the joke or not.
Speaker 3: I think he's just odd, yes.
Speaker 7: But is that controllable? Is he calculated or is he just goofy? I think he's goofy. I think Russ wants to be something. I think he wants to be the motivational. I think he wants to be the raw rack guy, the leader. It just comes off a little too scripted. It's it's not like truly emotional. And then what's he going to say at the end. You know, whenever he does his interviews, when he'd be with Seattle, you go all right, okay, talk to you later, go homes and then in Denver, all right, we'll.
Speaker 3: Talk to you later. All right, thanks for having me on Let's Ride.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what he did for the I don't think he did one for the Steelers.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, Let's Ride didn't go over well. Well when you don't play very well. Yeah, but even right from before he even threw his first pass, we did about three straight weeks on Let's Ride.
Speaker 3: Maybe there was the video of.
Speaker 6: Him, like I don't know if he was practicing it or if it was like whatever he is you know. I mean, let's ride did not go well for Uss, fairly or unfairly. That whole catchphrase didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think he had one in Pittsburgh. And maybe somebody in Pittsburgh can let us know. But we didn't hear from Russ once he went to Pittsburgh, and for some reason we lost contact.
Speaker 3: With Russ's Okay, focus on your craft. Yes, let's write the ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe yeah, maybe maybe you know you have a good week, good month, maybe having back on yes Tom.
Speaker 8: For Winston, are you more likely to embrace or tune out odd? If we want to put the odd title on Jameis Winston. Each player obviously is different, but I wonder if the average football player would embrace that or find.
Speaker 3: Like this guy's, well, what would you do?
Speaker 8: I would embrace the oddness?
Speaker 3: You usually ask a question, especially if.
Speaker 8: He's the backup quarterback. I don't need to, you know, I don't need to be his best friend. I don't I don't have to have any strong feeling either way if Russ is our guide, But I would lean towards embracing the oddness as long as there's some entertainment.
Speaker 2: But why don't you ask yourself the question and then you give me your answer, you know, just say you know what it would I would embrace the oddness.
Speaker 9: That is a thought.
Speaker 3: That one way to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can't spell todd without odd.
Speaker 8: I was waiting for that very clever.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yes, Seaton, I'm okay with odd odd as a leader sometimes, especially when your leadership abilities should severely be questioned anyway. But you know, like if you're getting ready for the game and all of a sudden, like Jamis Is like, guys, guys, guys, get around, get around, You're like, oh, jesus, here we go, all right, jameishead dude, Just I'm just trying to get out there and get won't here we go?
Speaker 3: Jamis is gonna do that to me?
Speaker 10: Was you lick your fingers and you put your fingers in a W? Let's eat a W?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Okay?
Speaker 2: What's Russell Wilson say at the end of every interview, now that he's a New York Giants?
Speaker 3: Fritzy, do you have a few?
Speaker 8: I do have a few?
Speaker 3: Okay, the Giant.
Speaker 8: It was one thought.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jersey boys, they play.
Speaker 4: That met Lifer.
Speaker 5: Be blue.
Speaker 8: And why because we can jint condition instead of Min's condition, because they call them the Jints ginch condition blue Bloods. And then I also had we men as opposed to g Man. They're the wi men.
Speaker 11: The Giant.
Speaker 2: I think the Giant might be the winner. There met Lifer the stadium. Yes, s I'm seeing on the interwebs here that Russell Wilson, whilst in Pittsburgh, would close press conferences with the phrase win the seventh, seventh super Bowl? Seventh super Bowl?
Speaker 6: Guys, you win the seventh here you walk off.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I have.
Speaker 6: That didn't really bubble up on the radar quite as much, But I don't know how often he said that or if he really did. But according to the Internet, he said, win the seventh. And then with the Giants, what do they have two super Bowls? Three super Bowls?
Speaker 2: Four?
Speaker 3: So win the fifth? Hey, big apple? Bite it? Yeah? No, I mean my big apple. Yeah, let's bite it.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 3: So why didn't he say with the will bite me? Yes?
Speaker 4: Why didn't he say go forth?
Speaker 8: Then with the Broncos, as they had three super Bowls, if they're gona if he's gonna pay up numbers like he did with the Steelers.
Speaker 3: No, no, he truly knew they weren't gonna win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: He was aware.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he couldn't be that phony. No, he couldn't say. Why didn't they talking about Arsenom Bowl anything? You're talking about Artheno ball.
Speaker 8: We let's ride definitely didn't make sense because anytime anyone got anywhere near him, he went right to the ground. So he's not riding anywhere.
Speaker 3: Oh, now you turn you turned on it. I watched every play.
Speaker 8: Oh, here comes the dick, comes the rush, and down he goes.
Speaker 4: He used to scramble with the Seahawks and.
Speaker 8: Pick up first downs, and he just up. I'm down. Let's now, let's punt the gun.
Speaker 2: How about we take a break. We're off to a rousing start. The great broadcaster Ernie Johnson Ernesto will join us coming up next hour in the program, we'll get phone calls and we'll settle on our poll question. We'll do all that right after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 3: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kvin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Somebody on our audience sent us a tweet, and that's maybe we misinterpreted what Russell Wilson was saying when he would end his press conferences with the Broncos. It's not let's ride, it's le let's slide. Oh, let's slide. Oh okayproization, Let's slide.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought he was saying, let's ride, But you said all he does is slide. Maybe that's what he was saying, let's slide.
Speaker 8: There was a lot of giving up on the play and taking inn and punting.
Speaker 2: The Giants are operating like a team that knows they're running out of time when you think about it, and your owner says his patience is running out.
Speaker 3: So you usually do two things.
Speaker 2: You either try to trade up for a quarterback, or you get a veteran and you throw some money at a veteran, a last ditched effort to win. Now, now, they flirted with the first option. I think that there was genuine talk that they would try to move up, and they didn't know if Tennessee was going to take cam Ward. I still don't know if Tennessee is going to take cam Ward. If I'm Tennessee, I'm inflating his value right now. Because he had the pro dag they have fawned all over him. He had some comments about why he should be so now all of a sudden you got some general interest in Okay, maybe he is legit, maybe he is real.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know.
Speaker 2: Now it's gotten a little bit too expensive, maybe for the Giants, because I'm going to guess, if you need a quarterback and you want to make sure that he is worthy of the number one overall pick, what are you willing to go up and get him?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: If I'm the Giants, I would not go up and get cam Ward unless I thought he was the second coming of Eli Manning.
Speaker 3: I would not be going up there.
Speaker 2: Other you need other players, I'm going to get a player at number three unless you take Shador Sanders, who I think has a chance to be a Hall of Famer. How many players in a draft do you say that like a legitimate chance to be a Hall of Famer? Abdoor Carter and Travis Hunter. I think the consensus would be yes. Now, there's going to be players coming out of this draft that may go in the second round, late in the first and you go, golly, look at how many teams passed on him, But you got to hit on these picks. In today's NFL. You want that rookie quarterback contract, but you got to hit on these. You don't know when you're going to be back in the top five, although with the Browns you may be back here next year and the Giants could be back. But I think the Giants will be better. The Browns should be better. It's just sometimes the Browns do Browns like things and they don't get the right guy. If they get Shdor Sanders is even going to play, so the curiosity. But you know, the Giants look like they're just going to sit back. So you get Jamis, you get Russell Wilson. Russ Is thirty six. So it's not a long term answer there. This just feels like the coaching staff is saying, we're going to be respectable this year. We're not going to win the division, we're not going to go to the playoffs. And maybe now I would think if you're one of those coaches, you do drap Shador Sanders, because then you say to management, hey, he's the guy, and we want to make sure we're coaching him for the next five years or however long it is. I wouldn't buy into that if I'm an owner, because we saw that with Matt Eberflus in Chicago. Hey, you know we got our rookie quarterback. I guess you can't fire me. No, no, they can fire you, all right, Seeton. Let's poll question for the first hour of the program.
Speaker 6: Well, we're putting up their better pregame speech guy for the Giants, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston. We have another one here from Paul. You can put one into place, a hard salary cap in baseball or a return to the old transfer system in college sports. It's interesting because I'm gonna throw in a neither neither there because there may be some of us who don't want either of those things in sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Baseball is going to look at this hard salary cap at some point because of the disparity between what they spend in with the Oakland A's Sacramento as what you spend with the Dodgers. I understand it, and and most of these owners they just want to make money. They don't want to have to spend a lot of money, and they're kind of in their comfort zone. I think if you have let's raise the floor a little bit. You must spend at least this. I think that would be better for the game. But I don't know if you're going to get can you get enough owners who were going to say, and when you think about.
Speaker 3: It, how many owners?
Speaker 2: How many teams can actually afford to spend four hundred, five hundred million dollars?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: Not many? I think the Cubs have a player.
Speaker 2: Didn't they just sign somebody to like a fourteen year, six hundred million dollar deal.
Speaker 7: No, No, that's a guy who they think will be worth that when he's done. He's like a got a one year deal. Now Kyle Tucker with subs, and they think that he'll be on the market next year and someone will give him that monster.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd be in favor of fiscal sanity with some of these signings here. But I think and Jeff Passing of the Mothership had a column about that that you know we're going to be headed to maybe a work stoppage in a couple of years. Look, it's not fun to talk about potential work stoppages or strikes because I covered them when I worked in New York. I covered you know, NFL strikes baseball strikes not fun at all. But you know, sometimes you need to have a reset here. And I wonder if baseball and the ownership groups will say, we need we need to have, you know, a hard cap in here.
Speaker 3: I'm all for whatever you can get you get.
Speaker 2: You know, nobody ever says to the owner, hey, making too much money here. You know, it's supply and demand. It's timing what you ask for when you ask for it. How good are you comparing you to a player of yesteryear? I mean, this is what happens. It's same thing with the transfer portal. If okay, if I look at the numbers, now, let's say I took all of Division two and Division one. I'm not going to put Division three in there because they're really not affecting the transfer portal.
Speaker 3: They're not getting money.
Speaker 2: But Division two, we saw what those players did for Drake, so you have to factor that in. But let's say a thousand are transferring. What is the percentage of basketball players and those who are transferring. What do you have twenty thousand basketball players?
Speaker 6: If you include D three, there would be twenty thousands. Between D one and D two, there's probably somewhere between ten and fourteen thousand players.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the percentage it's so one thousand so far, let's say it's twelve thousand Division two and Division one players. Is that an allarm? And what happens is we think in our world this makes it tougher for me to follow the sport. Well, if you're in Connecticut or you're in Arizona, you're at UCLA, you're following your team. You're well versed in who your team is getting and who your team is losing. Now, us on the outside, we're not following it day to day. But if you talk to somebody and say, hey, saw where you're getting a four star recruit, boom, that fan's going to tell you everything about that player. But we bemoan the fact I don't even know who these guys are. But the locals, local fan, that's your team, that's your player, that's your recruit, that's your transfer portal.
Speaker 3: They know.
Speaker 2: So I think there's an alarmist the sky is falling. It's still good basketball.
Speaker 3: Yes? Is it top heavy with chalk this year? It is? Do we miss a mid major? Do we miss an eleven Sea? Yes? We do.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is the way it's going to be I think, you know, this feels like it's an aboration, maybe anomaly.
Speaker 3: It's been back to back years.
Speaker 2: But okay, maybe we'll get that and then everybody will be a little bit better with this. But I think the oh my gosh, the transfer portal, I can't keep track, well you can't keep track. And Jeff Goodman, a college basketball reporter, he said, you know basically that what's going on here, this is terrible. It makes it tougher for him to do his job. But if I'm a local basketball fan, like a Connecticut basketball fan, Beet Marvin knows who they're getting, who you're recruiting, who you're losing, like you know that we don't, and therefore, oh my god, this is terrible here. Yeah, it is a weird.
Speaker 6: Thing because right now, at the same time, you have people complaining about college basketball stinks because I don't know who any of the players are they move around so much. And at the same time, college basketball stinks because look at the tournament.
Speaker 3: There's no uh, there's.
Speaker 6: No cinderellas well those if it were was a Cinderella, you know, every Robert Morris basketball player.
Speaker 3: Of course, not nobody has any idea who those kids are, you know.
Speaker 6: So it's like you're you're kind of trying to have it both ways, where you want to know all of the players and at the same time you want all of these surprise players too.
Speaker 2: And then you have women's college basketball where they have to stay. Now, they could transfer, but they have to stay in college for four years.
Speaker 3: You have the familiarity with the women's game. Now.
Speaker 2: I believe the ratings the viewership was up, might be, you know, a record high for viewership with March Madness. So you know, something's not right in the situation here. But I do think it's the get off my lawn. I don't know who these players are.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: What I love to see, You know, a guy be like Christian Latner, you know Cooper Flag plays four years, Yes, but he's not going to pass up on the money in the NBA. Or Tim dun stays in his entire career at Wake Force. Yes, I would love it. I mean I grew up where lu Al Sindor spent his entire career at UCLA. Bill Walton spent his entire career at UCLA. You know, Steve Alford at Indiana, Pete marrabadge At like, yes, I get it. I loved it. The familiarity. It was great to see them play year in an ero. But that's not the that's not life anymore. It's about money, opportunity, taking advantage of it and then move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of on the other side of this. I disagree.
Speaker 7: I think that the transfer portal, like last year, I think it was six hundred players entered this year, it's almost twelve hundred today. And for me, I like storylines from year to year, players to support from year to year or follow from year to year, whether it be a team I like, or just as a fan of college basketball altogether. And I think it makes it harder as a fan to make appointments to watch teams and learn it. I know it's you know, I don't know every player every year, no matter what, but I think it hurts the fan experiences jumping from team to team. If it's your team, you know that if your team is good, they're going to get pillaged by a bigger team. So there's not a lot to invest in from year to year. You got to start fresh every year. And I think consuming the sport, there's no storylines that follow from year to year except for Tom Izzo or Jay Wright or coaches that stay. So I think it hurts the fan experience. It hurts my fan experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but once again, you're being selfish with how you view this, whether a fan of a team knows who his team is bringing in and not bringing in.
Speaker 7: I'm all for players getting paid, but I'm also a little bit for players committing to a franchise committing to an NIL. I don't know, when you sign with your NIL as a freshman at Marquette, do you have to make it to your sophomore year to get your NIL money. It appears not, And in the NFL, when you sign your contract with the team, you have to make it to year two and three and four. I just think that the lack of commitment on either side, including the coaches, is hurts the sport altogether for the fan experience.
Speaker 2: For the fan experience, I would love to have that. That's why nobody cares about the regular season. But how many sports other than the NFL do you go I'm locked in in the regular season? I mean, let's be honest here, how many sports do we go GOE can't wait to watch like last night. Now, Steph Curry was hurt, but I tuned in to watch the Heat against Golden State. That was must see TV. Good storyline there when Luca goes back to Dallas. Okay, but how many of those moments do you go? Yeah, the regular season's awesome hockey. No, postseason's awesome baseball. You're going to go day to day, night to night, game to game. No, the NBA.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: So college basketball falls in line. College football is week to week and there's only you know, there's a finite number of games.
Speaker 3: It's fifteen games. Let's say.
Speaker 2: Then it's interesting the NFL take them off the board. College basketball falls in line with the other sports. It's like, uh, we'll figure it out. I watch enough college basketball to at least be fluent in it, but I'm probably in the minority. But I watch it because I love it, but I watch it because I have to watch it, Yes, Martin, But when.
Speaker 10: It comes to schools like Duke in Kentucky and Kansas and UCLA, you're watching because it's the school. You know they're gonna have a top prize recruit. You don't know who the recruit is, but you know they canna have a bunch of five stars, so you're gonna watch because it's Duke versus Kansas year and a year out, and you're gonna have to make the transition in players at least every three to four years, so it's going to be a new batch of guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to rail on it, but it was for a selfish reason. Then I understand what Paulie is saying. I want basketball to be the way it used to be, but it's not. It can't be, it never will be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pauland I think there are ways to do it, but they're pretty extreme and they're not player friendly. Of course, I'll get it well because I don't think the players should be the priority of the sport, which sounds really weird. But the fans pay the bills. The fans supporting the sponsors pay all the bills, and I would the NFL is not a players league, it's a fans league. They cater to the fans and the players are a secondary citizen. And they're the most successful sports league in America. If you if I could change one thing about college sports, you want to sign an NIL deal?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 7: You get all your money, most of your money, almost like a bonus like a hedge. Fun guy, you get eighty percent of your money after your third year here. Great, So you sign up Marquette out of high school and we're going to pay you blank blank blank Great, you get the lion's share of your money after you complete your third year with our program. Now you're staying. Now, it's a better fan exp.
Speaker 3: What if I do that with a coach? Great, coaches aren't going to sign up for that, I know.
Speaker 2: So why am I asking the players to do something that the coaches don't have to adhere too?
Speaker 7: Because it's best for the fans. And I'm a fan experienced.
Speaker 2: Person, but I can't go, Hey, it's good for you, But the hell with these kids. It was never about the kids until it became about the kids. And now we're in this situation where everybody's, you know, bemoaning the fact that the players have power here?
Speaker 3: Do I like them jumping around?
Speaker 2: Ask Connecticut when they won two national titles when they took in transfer portal players, You okay to the transfer portal?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 2: Yes, if you do it right, you love it. It's those who lose players. I feel bad for the smaller schools, you know, the mid majors where look at what we've got and then you know somebody is just waiting to pick you off. Robert Jones is the head coach at Norfolk State, and he had this to say, this.
Speaker 5: Is narrow glorified JUCO. You know, this is like Norfolk State Community College. Because it's like when I say that, not because of the people things like that, but it's just the way it is.
Speaker 3: Juco coaches.
Speaker 5: I have so much more respect for them these days because they have to get a new team every year, well every two years or something like that. Right, you know, now we got to get a new team every year every too, So we basically have glorified JUCO because these kids, you know, until mid majors and not just nof State, untill mid majors get the money that hog majors have, We're never gonna be able to keep kids here. You know, for a long time. I say it's easy to get them, it's harder to retain them. You know, you can get them because there's a lot of kids that want opportunities. A lot of kids want opportunities, but once they get the opportunity and then they blow up, it's harder to retain them. Because now the big boy's gonna come.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the mid majors are never gonna get that money. They're not gonna have the money to compete. So you're gonna get a guy, You're gonna develop a guy. Maybe you get him for two years and that he's gonna go someplace else. It's just supplying demand until you get to that point where you have the haves and the have nots. You separate them. Maybe you have salary caps, maybe you have the mid majors, maybe they're not playing in March madness. I mean, there has to be everything's on the table with this as we move forward, because it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, I think that the like maybe it's not like in a psychological sense or whatever, but I think if I really boil down what I think people's problem is with the transfer portal and nil. I think that most grown men have a problem with kids that young making more money than them and having more freedom than you could ever possibly imagine. Nobody can move jobs like that. Cooper Flag has already made three times the amount of money that I've made in my entire life, every cent I've ever earned. That kid has already made at least three times that, and I don't have a problem with it. But I think that dudes who are out working hard, digging ditches like real work, and you sit down and you watch TV, and these little diva kids get to jump around from team to team, collecting check after check after check, more money than you could ever possibly dream of, more freedom than you could ever possibly dream of. I think that's really the root of the problem. I don't think it has anything to do with I can't tell who's on what team anymore. I think it's how does this eighteen year old kid have so much money?
Speaker 2: And I don't Yeah, that doesn't That doesn't impact me more, you know, other than I want the sport to be great, and I don't think it's great. I don't think it's going to be great, and I miss that for other fans who look at the sport and go college basketball was wonderful, but it was wonderful because it was controlling these players and they didn't get an opportunity. Coaches could go wherever they wanted, and I didn't look at that side of it, And now you have to look at all sides, and there's many sides to this, and yes, do I want yesteryear?
Speaker 3: I do? But I gotta be fair.
Speaker 2: If my son was playing and he was good enough to transfer, and he was good enough to get a million dollars, am I going to.
Speaker 3: Go you know what?
Speaker 9: Not?
Speaker 2: In my day we wouldn't allow that. You gotta be fair to the situation. And the situation happened because the grown ups allowed this to happen.
Speaker 6: Yes, somebody comes in and offers that in Norfolk State coach three times a salary to go to Penn State. He's gonna be like, you know, I don't think I'm done here just yet, at this year. We still have a mission here at this glorified juco. All right, it's take a break, good conversation. Play the day next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w app Oh my God.
Speaker 3: Play of the day, but.
Speaker 12: Lets god play This is the play of the day.
Speaker 5: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Tie and a halfmark pronus week title bets.
Speaker 9: He stares like so bed skin.
Speaker 4: Scores from the left Dutch.
Speaker 7: This game is tied, and old Benchkin picks one up here and went up peg.
Speaker 4: It's all age eight nine.
Speaker 3: He needs hard to tie, he needs.
Speaker 1: Sex to break Wayne Gretzky's all time reck.
Speaker 2: Wow, save a little bit there. CAPS Radio twenty four to seven. Alex Ovechkin scores the eight hundred and eighty ninth goal of his career. That's brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. You want to speed up your hiring process, reduce time to hire, cut cost, and find the right talent for contract and full time roles. Visit expresspos dot com today and transform your hiring process. Seat and update the poll results from our one Please.
Speaker 3: Yet we got up there?
Speaker 6: Better pregame speech guy on the Giants Russell Wilson or Jamis Winston Right now, ninety one percent of the audience have Jameis Winston.
Speaker 2: Okay, good agree and you didn't ask for it. But there's a lot of things you don't ask for on this show, but you're still going to get it. Fritzy has a Russell Wilson limerick.
Speaker 8: It's been a while the limerick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll roll it out. Let's give it a go.
Speaker 8: They say I've lost some of my hustle and don't have quite as much muscle although I should be defiant, I'm not. I'm a giant. Come ride with me.
Speaker 3: I'm Russell. Okay, serviceable.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna bring down the house or anything.
Speaker 3: No, no, but uh somewhat clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've actually lowered the roof because you know, when you bring down the house wet, it doesn't have to go up that high. I'm just saying, ceiling is not that Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm what serviceable? That's what you said about your own work. Well, he's trying to beat me to the punch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Patrick in Buffalo, Good morning, Patrick, what's on your mind tonight?
Speaker 9: Hey? DP, Same day podcast listener, first time caller six' one through fifteen. I wanted to share with you the fix that I have for the NBA, and before you, you know, reject it, consider that they've already made a major update to the scoring previously in the league's history. But essentially, you know, I consider that the product to be watered down. There's a lot of bad shots being taken from beyond the arc, and it's essentially because it's incentivized. Right, the three is worth the two. So my theory is reverse the three and the two and make everything inside the arc worth three points.
Speaker 4: Wow, I'm so jealous of that.
Speaker 2: I'll run that by the commissioner next time I have him on, I'll ask him that. Look, there are guys that are really, really, really highly skilled, incredible, incredible deep shooters, and I don't I don't want to have that get lost. But there are other guys that want to emulate that or think they can be that kind of player.
Speaker 5: And I don't.
Speaker 2: They think there's always going to be room for the mid range jumper. And I just wonder what happens to a basketball player who happens to be I'm not going to say shack like, but you know, we had yaoming like, what happens to one of those players. It's discouraged to have a player like that. I just think eventually, as I said, with the running game in the NFL, at some point it all comes back around and the running game becomes valuable. And it happened this year. Maybe it's a one off. You're going to have maybe two or three running backs taken in the first round. Maybe you have Ashton Genty taken by the Raiders at seven. But at some point do we get back to I got a big guy inside and you can't stop him, yes, Marman.
Speaker 10: The best player in the game is the center. I know he shoots a little bit, he shoots maybe three to four three pointers a game, but down low in the post, there's nobody that can guard him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he is so he's at the top of the key where he's just a point center. He created a position, he's a point center. And he does have a really really nice touch. He can shoot. Shack can't shoot. Yoming had a nice touch. I don't want Yoming out on the perimeter like that fifteen footer. Okay, I mean that's fine with brook Lopez. But what would happen if Shaq played today?
Speaker 10: He'd average eighty seven points if threes were were twos, eighty seven points a game.
Speaker 3: I mean, no one could stop it. I know we're going to get to that moment, yes, Maar.
Speaker 10: He'd also average eight assists because when they would double him, they'd be guys just waiting at the three point when ready to shoot.
Speaker 2: In today's game, one hour in the book saw on this Wednesday. That's just good sports radio conversations. Ernie Johnson will join us coming up hour two on this Wednesday