Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast. The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 1: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered?
Speaker 3: What did I miss yesterday? Now here to review today's practice? The writers of Patriots dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome into another edition of the Patriots Camp Cast. Training Campcast, they should say, Paul, and today I felt like drab Mayo spoke before practice kind of felt like a challenge of defense a little bit.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: You know, the offense has had a good couple of days. We talked about it on yesterday's wrap up show, and it felt today a little more evenly matched, but probably a little bit more towards the defense. No question, the offense had some moments, but overall, I would say defense play a little bit more solid today, made things harder.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean I would say so that said, I still think the quarterbacks, both Bressett and may threw the ball pretty well. I thought, you know, I thought there were some plays to be made, and you know, sometimes the receivers made them, sometimes they didn't. But I would agree with you overall, coverage was much better to say you didn't see guys running free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Timarrow, what's who stood out to you today?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I liked how Mayo opened up and said, you know, the offense responded well to the heat yesterday, but the defense, like he said historically two days ago, that the defense usually has a head start in camp. Jabrill Peppers yesterday year guy Mike. He said, I like the way we compete yesterday, but as a defender, they made too many plays. So I think today I liked Hearn and I liked Hawkins. I think both of them had a great days. A couple pass breakups, but which are questionable because I thought the wide receivers had a lot of drops today. They did that a lot of drops today.
Speaker 2: And we probably we've talked about the sloppiness in camp, and I didn't. I think I saw maybe one pre snap thing where it was a rehuddle, but there were a number of drops today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were fall starts. Again. There were situations where I think the time management because you're starting to see a little bit more of the two minute hunter. Henry talked about it after practice. They're starting to get a lot of that situational stuff involved in the practices and probably the best hunter, Henry. The best play for the team today was a last second diving touchdown catch by Henry, who I thought, by the way, was very good in this practice, but I thought it may have been after the time it expired, So that's the kind of situational stuff. The play before that, with the clock running, is a short throw on the sideline, didn't really get them all that much closer to the end zone, didn't get out of bounds, and really created a sort of hectic final play. Maybe they got the playoff in time. Preset did a nice job of just floating one to an area and allowing this tight end to go and make a play diving catch by Henry.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it was situational for my vantage point. I looked up at the clock, two seconds left, clock running, look back beat, couldn't tell for sure if they got it off. But another session I just wanted to quickly mention was I thought, you know Drake May's best period of the day, which was red zone seven. On seven, you had a touchdown to Jalen Polk, you had eighty seven look like he dropped the TV, and then an easy one to Baker, So you know, just some completions, and again it's seven on seven, but I thought overall that was Drake's strongest period of the dates.
Speaker 1: Marit was that the one where they ended in the fifty eight yard field goal. Maybe I can't remember, No, no, different.
Speaker 2: One, No, I think that was that was earlier and earlier eleven on eleven bit which was Joey Slid hit a fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I thought definitely Drake May was better in the seven on sevens. I feel like when they were in the two minute kind of hurry up type of offense, there were a lot of mistakes, miscommunication, throwing the ball out of bounds, potentially sacks here and there. I thought that definitely sped him up a lot, which you know, that's something we were wondering in a real game like setting, how is Drake May going to handle all the time that they spent working on his technique. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was after the Hunter Henry touchdown, Drake May went and didn't do much a throwaway, miss baker, miss seven, sack and complete. I just wrote ick on the last play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the two minute drills after Brissetts and Brissettes, I mean to be fair, was kind of shaky, even though it ended up in a touchdown. The other two series it was it was May and then Joe Milton four and out, so they didn't really get the ball moving all. But I do think, like I said, and I know there's been some sort of talk that we're not necessarily covering May the way we should. It's kid gloves. I mean, he made three or four throws today that I thought were pretty good throws that didn't get caught, and one of them was that one to Mitchell Willcox and you're talking about I mean that was a tough throw in traffic down the seam in the end zone, tight tight windows down in the red zone, and you know Willcox, so I actually think has been playing pretty well has to make that catch for him. I thought there was another one on the two minute drill and a nice out route to Juju. He got his feet tangled up with the defensive back and ended up falling down. The pass was perfectly thrown, but you know, it looks like one of those like, well, where was he throwing that one? Because there was no one there to catch it. So I thought May threw the ball well at times. But to me, the story of the day was the pressure from that front seven again was too much and there were some guys out. No chukes today you had Vederian Lowe staying at left tackle, Cayden Wallace at right tackle. Those guys struggled. I thought Kayden Wallace in particular struggled protecting the passers today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's round out some of the personnel pieces today because there were, you know, some new absences. You mentioned Chusa Kora for Calvin Anderson, and now a Korfo was there. I think we saw him there but just didn't participate. But Calvin Anderson, who went down briefly yesterday with an ankle injury, got back up, re entered the lineup. He was missing probably not the biggest.
Speaker 3: He had a sleeve on the lake. Yeah, so my guess is dealing with something with his calf one Thornton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there he goes igguess kind of just what are we doing here? Because I feel like it's the same thing with him. He has a great camp and then he disappears and you're just like, Okay, what's going on here? So he did show up to practice a little bit into practice, but he wasn't dressed. He was just on the sideline. So I'm hoping it's nothing serious because he's had a great couple of days and so now it's like, hopefully he's not taking a step backwards with potentially an injury.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing we talk about Paul. With these young receivers, it's, you know, you got to stay out there, you got to be consistent. I mean, Polk, Baker, those guys have been out there every day, at least as far as training camp.
Speaker 3: Jalen Polk made some tough catches today. I don't know if any of them really counted because you know, one of them was in the back of the end zone, he was out of bounds, and then one of them was on a sideline on a quick, quick diving catch on the sideline. They gave him credit for the catch. I thought he caught it. But two really good catches for Jalen.
Speaker 2: Poll strong hands with him, Marcus Jones, Josh Bledsoe continue to be out they come out and watch, you know again, put Marcus Jones with Taekwon Thorton, and it's, you know, just disappointing for these young guys, especially guys that have been drafted in the past. Couple of years that have the traits that this team needs, the speed, you know, certainly with Marcus Jones, we've been excited to see him get a chance to this new kickoff. He's now out, so team will have a day off tomorrow, maybe a chance for them to get a little bit healthy.
Speaker 3: But it'd be a bad sign if you didn't see Marcus Jones back on Monday. But I would say, you know, when guys leave the lineup, it gives opportunities, and I think Marcellus Dial has gotten some some more reps and he's got some competitiveness to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he's the guy that stands out to me almost every day when.
Speaker 1: Paul brings up opportunit. I think this is an opportunity for Jalen Rager to show why he's valuable, not just on offense, but on special teams. You've seen him in there a lot returning those punts, so I think it's an opportunity for him to potentially make it because he can fill in from Arkis Jones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just one of the last guy I want to mention. I thought number two kJ Olsbourne. I think some good practices from catches today. In the end, zone. He's one receiver that you know, feels like he's coming on. I don't know for sure how he fits into the whole big picture. Is he an outside He's probably not an outside guy, And I think that's really what they need, you know, to make this offense truly functional and lethal, is to have somebody who can get downfield. I know some people have been talking about Javon Baker, and I don't want to pump the brakes on him, but I think a lot of the buzz with him is coming from one on ones in team periods. He's not very consistent. He has some moments. I know today Drake May threw one up. It just it didn't even look like he had any separation. It wasn't even closed. So, you know, so between him, between Taykwon Thornton, just some questions, I would say, remain kind of a wide receivers.
Speaker 3: Absolutely agree. Cool.
Speaker 2: Well, we got a day off tomorrow and then we'll be back at it next week as we build up to the Patriots first preseason game. They'll welcome the Carolina Panthers, So stick with us through Monday and Tuesday. We'll be back with more Patriots training campcast to keep you caught up on everything that's going down here at Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 3: Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 1: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 2: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.