Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to this week's episode of Left and Learned. I am your host, Flaming Bro, and we just celebrated Christmas twenty twenty four and I couldn't have done alone without my partner, Miss Bobby Cliff. And how are you doing to?
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right. I can't believe that just two short days we're going to be in the whole new year and this is gonna be. I could feel it in my bones. It's gonna be our year.
Speaker 1: Flaming girl, that ain't no feeling. That's games. Then you'll not get off.
Speaker 2: Or rum chod Athrit is one of the other ones.
Speaker 1: Ooh that is That is Republicanism. Ooh yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Are manifesting, manifesting.
Speaker 1: How was your Christmas, Bobby?
Speaker 2: You want it was? It was really nice. It was super quiet. It was just me and the ladies. And you know, sometimes I used to love the all the hubby we used to have. Big Momma was one of eleven kids. We used to have huge family functions and I and I some days I mourn because they got too big that every one of her blieves that they have to have their own. But I kind of liked it. This year we stayed in our pajamas. It was really quiet. I liked it. I needed I think I needed the rest. And how about you?
Speaker 1: You know, it was not even for when we were together, we said and prayed together. I don't I at necessarily say we ate together, but we prayed together as the family, and so it was uneven for quiet, and I was. I was grateful forward, honey, and my secret Santa showed up this year and was very nice to me. Y'all know, my super standard. But I don't kill y'all. Yeah, and uh so, and tomorrow is New Year's g well, New Year's eve e, because you know, tomorrow's New Year's.
Speaker 2: Eve bro, Tomorrow, today is the easy you And what are you doing? You're very busy? Correct?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got a lot going on him. My mom would say I had a drag seal. But y'all know, today is the anniversary of me being acostic thirty five years ago.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: And yeah, I talk about that all the time, that I was just in a bad place mentally of heart over love and was off my game and two young white boys snatched me up. And uh and to be honest by me, I probably would have died that night, had I And I'm not gonna say that I fought back, but I fought for my life. I didn't fight necessary because I had no win. I had no win. Maybe that white boy hit me. Let me tell you, I can laugh about it now. But because I had been drinking. I'm not a drinker, but I was going through some love stuff. So I had two cocktails. I think I was toe up so and the when the white boy hit me, he hit me so hard that I think it dazed me. And it sobered me up immediately, and I realized.
Speaker 2: Adrenal went at that. Yeah, if you're not too far gone, and two drinks wouldn't. I mean, I'm not great on two drinks myself because we don't drink, but I think the adrenaline probably you know, came in and then you get the fight or flight, right, so it's sober.
Speaker 1: It sobered me up to whew. I understood the severity of the situation I was in. So I kicked and rolled out the car because when I saw the knife, because they had a huge knife, when it was smooth on one side and serrated on the other side, Oh, they were going to get me. And this was eighty nine, eighty eight, eighty nine, eighty nine, so nine. Yeah, you know, we were very much unseen as trans people. It would have been some man in address was killed you if it would have even made the news. And that's just the truth of what life is. Unfortunately, with the way the new with the way the new regime coming in, we might go back to those kind of situations. I'm sad to say that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was Trump. President Trump was at an event. I'm going to not be able to find it because I didn't have it up like ready. And he was saying he was going to get rid of, you know, the lunacy that is transgender and he's going to take them out of schools, and he's going to take them out of grammar schools, middle schools, and high schools as anybody in grammar or middle I mean, it's so stupid this. I doubt there's any little kids that are quoting at five years old at they're transgender.
Speaker 1: Well, well hold on, Bobby pushed back on this side from a transgender woman. A lot some of these some of these kids will just say it one time and the parents will roll with it. I don't agree with that because as a parent now as a transparent, I'm speaking as a parent now, who is the parent? Who is the parent? Because I understand that you let little Bobby and little Sally, little Jack and little Jill, you know, say this or say that, but they still have to be guided. And I'm telling you that that's not in them. But explain that to me. Put down your phone or your computer, whatever book you read that on what and explain that. And if you can explain that to me, we can go further from there. But if you cannot, which most of the times they cannot, Yeah, baby, squash that shit and that And that's just how I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think. I think they're just too little to understand it. I mean it's so hard for people that are older to completely understand it. So I think it they might feel a little different, or they could just be a tomboy, or they could just be a feminine, feminine boy. You know, does it mean that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna when you say that, getting older, I'm gonna really need you older people to keep up, Bobby. I'm really going to need you older people to keep up with our generation. Thank you everybody.
Speaker 2: He was that I found it. He was at America Fast, which is a young conservative group that's in Arizona. Yeah, and he said that by executive order he's going to end child mutilations, get get get the transgenders out of the military, and get them out of the elementary, middle and high schools. But it's not new, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, and so much of that Bobby, as a trans woman in this country bothers me because it's like we're going all the way back to the fifties. We have so many things, so many luxuries afforded to us, from name changing to FFS which is social feminization surgery, to SRS which is sexual reassignment surgery, to working jobs, to having health care, to marriage equality, so many and because it was a different generation that wanted more and more more than enough, was never enough. And I'm not saying that we don't look for change, but there's a certain way that you have to go about doing it. If you force it, you know it's scarce people. But if you work with people hand in hand and say hey, we can do this better if we work together and let us try it this way. I just believe that's not pandering, but that is I'm gonna work with you. I just need you to work with me. But a lot of people don't get that. And Bobby, it looks like now they want to take away every right that we had. This shouldn't about to get very scary, it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, what you should have failed more than anything, is just safe, safe to be yourself before. And I don't know if it'll be any different, but you're not going to be just naturally afforded all of that what you're doing in this administration, at least that's what he's saying. But we'll see. I mean, he's got a congresswoman that is trans and he certainly has a very big LGBT group with in between Congress and the Senate. So we'll see. We'll see what actually happens.
Speaker 1: Listen from from from from allegedly from what we've been seeing on the news, he got one in the LGBT group. He got an LGBT P group because a lot of the people that he would put on a point in phenomenees and everything, a lot of them fall up under the P. If you don't know what the P is, you go to the doctor to get I mean, you go to the nail Salon to get a manny petty because a lot of them looking very petty, and I ain't talk about with a t ship.
Speaker 2: Good god, they are they're forget even that they're they're they're in fighting. You know you've got.
Speaker 1: The they're like babies, Oh my god, oh big babies.
Speaker 2: He free. He came out Trump over the weekend and said that he supports or understands the need for the H one B visas. Those are the visas. A lot of tech people get them, but there are somebody's coming in for a certain amount of time. I think it's three years, don't quote me. And you have to be here for a specific job or whatnot. It's sort of like the poor people who were eating the dogs and eating the cats. They were all here for a specific reason to finish a specific job. So he made that comment and Musk kind of jumped on it and said, you know, it's like the uh, it's like the tech bros versus Mega, you know they He said, Mopsk that we need the best and the brightest, and the only way we're going to do it is if we bring these people in. Well, Bannon and Lumer lost their bananas. They don't want anybody. They don't care if they're here for engineering jobs, they don't care. They want no no immigration at all, which is not how you can run an economy. We needed you.
Speaker 1: There was so funny about the immigration love. They are led in. Two immigrants, Ramas Swambi and uh Mus tell them what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah alone.
Speaker 1: That name alone is immigration immigration. Yeah they immigrated that name. That name may that name maybe an American? Maybe that name was immigrated. Let's just be honest about it.
Speaker 2: Well, he's only he's only the first generation. So usually when your first generation, you're you're very respectful and you like the process and you feel lucky and blessed. And yeah, I don't see that from him. That's not his personality though. Ramaswamy, he's he doesn't. He doesn't like the boots of anybody other than Donald Trump and John Junior. Is there's something this weekend saying that Dems aren't the only people who are our enemies. It's the vast majority of the Republicans too, And I'm like, if the Republicans and the Democrats, who's left.
Speaker 1: I saw that Bobby, I saw him speak about that too, But I do know there is a lot of infighting. And if it was a Democratic party, and here's the here's the part that blows me with the Democratic Party, with the weakness of my party, which is the Democratic Party, if it was us right now, they would have it. They would be a field there on the media talking about, oh my god, they're fighting like you. But because it's the Republicans and the Trump regime, it's barely it's barely spoken about on the on the main media circus. It's spoken about on social media, but on the main media focus not at all. It is it is. It is wild, That's what it is.
Speaker 2: It's wild, Bobby, It's it's crazy. It's really crazy. But yeah, Bannon was calling Mosca toddler, and you have to have like child Services coming in, like, oh my god. This was worse than when they were pushing for Biden out and that if I thought that was so miserable, this is, uh, this is just as miserable.
Speaker 3: Too funny, But I mean, when those two bulls lack horns, though, when those two rams hit heads musket Trump, that is going to be something because Musk may have that financial power, but Trump gonna still remind him that I'm the president.
Speaker 2: Oh, I blame. I totally agree. I think it's going to I don't think it'll make it a year before there's going to be some sort of fuff. I think it's kinna. I think it's going to be ugly, which is not going to be good for the for the country. But you know what we say, you know they fucked around. Now they're going to find out.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be a I do want to be a party to find out. I was trying to win at one point two billion dollars, as somebody one the other day, but unfortunately I had never even heard of Cottonwood, California, speaking of cottonwood, speaking of cotton that's just we want to give a moment of silence till our beloved President, thirty ninth president. He finally made it to one hundred and was able to make history by voting for the Well, well, no, because she's not the first female, but she's the first.
Speaker 2: We were, yeah, we were hoping that she'd actually she'd actually get in.
Speaker 1: He was actually he actually Harris, Yeah, James Earl Carter, Jimmy Carter, j Earl. That's a country named Jimmy or I'll betually They called him Jimmy Earl when he was young.
Speaker 2: James Jones this year too, to James Earls, to Jimmy Arrow back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, thirty ninth president. And you know what, Bobby, he's married to his wife, Roslynd Carter, who he lost maybe a year and a half ago. I didn't, to be honest, I didn't expect Jimmy Carter to live this long. I love that he made it to one hundred, because poor Betty White almost made it. But I knew that because they had been married for so long. And they always say that people who had been married for such a long time and been in love. While I've been married through ups and downs, they one is usually not here much longer when the other one leaves. And so he made it more way longer than I thought he would, honestly, and he.
Speaker 2: Really put his He showed us that your life was not just necessarily the presidency because he was only in for four years. He came in at the very beginning of our Middle East problem with the hostage crisis. He took a chance, he gambling. The gamble for him did not work. He was in from seventy seven to eighty one. He was like the first president I can actually remember, you know, like I remember having to shot our Remember Jery, the oil embargo shut our sermon says down sixty five during the day, fifty five at night. And remember the during the crime the hostage crisis, the gas lines were like around the block and you only got like so many gallons, you know, because of course we weren't getting any of the Middle Eastern oil, so you know, we had to be we had to be really prudent with it.
Speaker 1: But he was. He was an environmental Yeah, I'm loving the story about me. I got to interrupt. You live in Boston, y'all had fifty five in Boston at night, y'all real white people, y'all white people for real? Cold.
Speaker 2: I actually do it because I would have a hot flash when I sleep at night. You know. When I was a kid, we just had an extra blanket. My mother just put an extra blanket because we were trying to do the presidential thing. That's how we got every day, and my parents would not like to complain about it.
Speaker 1: Y'all, y'all white people, for real. I just wanted to make sure you realized, although you might have forgotten.
Speaker 4: Do you want to know that Boston in the seventies, girl, No, that were now because this global woman, it's probably ninety degrees over there.
Speaker 1: But in the seventies, no.
Speaker 2: Man, he said, oh my god, it was yeah, it was called. Well, I'm not gonna lie to you. We wore a lot of I think we had a turtleneck on from like October until April, you know, like we had a turtle neck and a sweater. And you wore a little sweater, and and we all my mother Soda saw all these pretty blankets and you just put them on while you watch TV. We all cozy. He was ahead of his time with environmentalism. He had solar panels on the White House. Of course, Reagan ripped them off the that he got in, But he was trying anyway to to have us be more self sustaining and not rely on the Middle East oil and all of that. So God bless them. The nine says the state funeral, his body will be flown to Washington. They said something about putting him on a truck and not a truck truck, a train, like making it old fashioned, you know, you know, like FDR they would chase in the train. He said, I will haunt you all until a day after you die. If you put me on a train and direct my body all over the country, he says, I want to fly in and fly out, and so that's what he's getting. Joe Biden is going to do eulogy. Joe Biden actually was one of the first to back them. He just got into the Senate, so they were kind of close. I thought this was super interesting. His grandson, Jason Carter, we saw him at Rossland's Ross Lens and he did a great job. He's going to do eulogy. And then Gerald Ford and Walter Mondale both wrote while they were alive eulogies for Jimmy Carter, and their sons are going to read them.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting? You know Joe Ford and me had the same birthday. Really yeah, birthday. He was triple sevens. They say he was lucky not calling to the president. His name was lucky. What was I about to say with my crazy behalf? You know what I've been loving about Jimmy Carter is now you know, after the president dies, they go and talk about his history in Wouisble. They always call him the peanut farm or whatever. As the president, but now they have made such beautiful stories. And I did know so many accomplishments, accomplishments that he had acquired while he was the president, because they never talked about that. They only talk about the negative. So I love the fact that I love the love story of his life with his wife. You know outside she was yeah, she was a she was a grand first lady, and but I love the partnership of that. It just it reminded me of why we do love our country, even though sometimes it look like our country is going straight to you. I say it straight, do that paths go through not I collect two hundred dollars. Good God. But it was a wonderful story and has been really reporting beautiful on him.
Speaker 2: They did one of the most interesting and I'm going to get her name. Her first name is Mary. There was a woman, she was a black woman that was falsely accused of murder, and he and his wife really believed in racial injustice and trying to fix things. They got things somehow turned around, Like this woman met her attorney the day she was going into court like it was a hot mess. But he didn't just talk the talk, flame he walked the walk. He hired her to take care of his daughter Amy and brought her to the White House to be her nanny. Even there, and she is still alive, and she is still very close with the family all along, and I thought, wow, that is and that was all quiet. Of course the reporter had to dig in and find that out. They were trying to twist it and make something awful of it, like he's got a murder up in the White House, and that when everybody heard the story, it kind of turned around on them. So I thought, these are these were good as salt of the earth people, you know. So so we'll have to look forward to their to the state funeral on the nice.
Speaker 1: So as we come to the end up twenty twenty four, Bobby, it is we've lost so many people this year. We lost so many great people this year, Bobby. We lost a lot of great people in twenty twenty four. Min twenty twenty four. I know we still got tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Oh, you certainly do. I I was looking up. I was going to try to make the list so we could do it. I couldn't get past September. We lost on the same day as Jimmy. We lost Linda Lavin, who I loved She was a big Broadway babe as well as Alice.
Speaker 1: She did you know girl in town? Yeah, and I the lady girl. I used to love that.
Speaker 2: Kiss your grants. I used to love when the one flow used to say that and now and all that. I mean, it was a great show. She did something more recently with Sean Hayes and she was the bomb, and I thought that was terrific too. She still was quick and she had to be eighty, you know, doing it. So we lost her. We lost Greg Gumble, Nicki Giovanni, Chuck Willery, Quincy Jones, Terry Garr, Liam Payne, Sissy Houston, Pete Rose, Chris Christofferson, James Earl Jones. And then I went, you know what, I caught Maggie Smith. I'm like, I can't, I can't write any more down. That was only like I only went back two or three months. We lost a lot of greats this year. Yeah, which you know, my father always says, you're next up, and I'm making it.
Speaker 1: Uh. You mentioned somebody I have so much respect for. She never got her gest us because you know they put bear stuff about her, which is Nicki Giovanni, great poet, great activists, great thought felt, provoking person because she would make you think of who you were and why you were and understand, you know you are, this is who you are, because this is what the universe created you to be. Oh. I used to love to hear her speak. And you know, she had came out about Bill Cosby in the seventies and they just went after that woman so bad, destroy her career. Come to find out a lot of stuff that she said was allegedly true. But yeah, she was. She was a I hope someone does a story about her. You know, they broke her, Bobby, they broke her. Don't miss an episode of Laugh and Learn. Listen and subscribe on the Black Effect Podcast Network, I Heart Radio app or wherever you get your podcasts. Laugh and Learn Podcast is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio. Our ejective producer is Tippity Hattish. Our theme music is by the one and only Christy Payne. Thank you guys. This is Flaming Road. Don't forget to laugh. Listen and Learn