Speaker 1: Before we begin, Please be aware this episode contains discussions around infant deaths and other difficult topics. Please take care while listening. After ten months of intense, complicated testimony, the jury in Lucy Letby's case is finally ready to give a verdict. In all, the jury was asked to consider twenty two charges. Seven of those were counts of murder, the rest attempted murder. It actually took the jury four days to deliver all their verdicts. You see, in England a jury can return a verdict while still deliberating over others.
Speaker 2: She's found guilty of murdering four babies and attempting to.
Speaker 3: Murder too, and then slowly his time went to meet all the vertices.
Speaker 1: Can Reporter Kim Pilling, who had sat through every single day of the ten month trial, remembers how the room felt each time the jury would announce a verdict had been reached.
Speaker 4: You know the tensionless you earn, Pindrop was yet very tense.
Speaker 1: Fourteen guilty verdicts all told the rest. The jury either landed on not guilty or they were unable to decide. Lucy, who had become more withdrawn and seemed to retreat into herself over the trial. Was only present for the first two days of verdict announcements.
Speaker 4: She didn't come back for those last thirty.
Speaker 1: Through her lawyer, Lucy let Be told the court that she was too unwell to attend anymore. That included when the judge would sentence her. Later, she would refuse to leave her cell as Justice Goss read her sentence. That decision, one of the few she was able to make for herself, didn't go over well with the families of the babies she had been found guilty of hurting.
Speaker 5: They were all there to met their victim personal statements in person, many of them, and I think they wanted to stare.
Speaker 1: Her down, But for many there would still be some satisfaction with how heavy the hammer of justice fell on Lucy let Be. She would be facing one of the harshest sentences ever handed down in the country.
Speaker 5: She was facing that she would face her life in prison.
Speaker 1: I'm Amanda Knox and from Vespucci and iHeart Podcasts, This is Doubt the Case of Lucy let Be Episode six, The Misfits and Ghouls.
Speaker 3: The defendant, Lucy Letby has refused to attend court for this sentence hearing.
Speaker 1: Lucy let Be's absence was definitely something that Justice James Goss had to deal with in court. We've had an actor read portions of his remarks.
Speaker 3: I shall deliver the sentencing remarks as if she was present to hear them, and I direct that she is provided with a transcript of my remarks and copies of the victim personal statements read to the court.
Speaker 1: On August twenty first, twenty twenty three, Justice Goss delivered his much anticipated sentencing decision.
Speaker 3: Lucy Letby over a period of almost thirteen months between June twenty fifteen and June twenty sixteen, when in your mid twenties and employed as a neonatal nurse in the Countess of Chester Hospital in Chester specialist training in intensive care, you murdered seven babies and attempted to murder six others.
Speaker 1: In the UK, a life sentence can mean two different things. One offers a chance at parole after serving a minimum sentence. The other is life, what they call a whole life order.
Speaker 3: This was a cruel, calculated and cynical campaign of child murder involving the smallest and most vulnerable of children, Lucy Letby, on each of the seven offenses of murder and the seven offenses of attempted murder. I sentence you to imprisonment for life, because the seriousness of your offenses is exceptionally high. I direct that the early release provisions do not apply. The order of the court therefore is a whole life order on each and every offense, and you will spend the rest of your life in prison.
Speaker 1: Lucy was now one of only three women in Britain facing a whole life sentence.
Speaker 2: As soon as she was found guilty. It was I mean, there was just no voic scene of any skepticism or doubt about the verdict.
Speaker 1: Rachel Levive is a writer with the New Yorker magazine, and while there was daily reporting of the story of Lucy let Be in the UK, it hadn't really made much of a splash in the US.
Speaker 2: It was everywhere. It was in the Daily Mail, for sure, but it was also in the Guardian. There were I think I counted more than one hundred stories about the case in the Guardian. It was a course of national fixation of a level that felt like, you know, the equivalent of the O. J. Simpson trial. It was a huge media phenomenon.
Speaker 1: But Rachel had done some reporting on other cases of women wrongly convicted of killing children, and in those cases, much of the evidence against them relied on complicated and faulty statistics and ignored medical information. According to Rachel, the similarities to let Be were striking.
Speaker 2: I started following the case and just really looking at like the daily updates on the Chester the local newspapers website. I was just sort of following it with like an increasing sense of disbelief.
Speaker 1: Rachel was shocked at the lack of critical reporting in the UK.
Speaker 2: I was struck just by the deference that, like the journalistic community played toward the courts. Just the sort of deferential attitude towards authority in general was surprising to me.
Speaker 1: When Rachel first approached Lucy's story, she did it carefully and critically. She wasn't even convinced it would turn into a story for her magazine.
Speaker 2: Well, there were two things that happened. One, I think I told my editor all along, like if I start reporting this and then I think, oh, she's guilty, I'm just gonna stop, Like there's no point in doing a she's guilty story. So all along I had a high level of being critical of the conclusions I might be drawing or not. And then when it got to the stage of the fact checking, I think the fact checkers were explicitly told like, if you start thinking she's guilty, like yeah, then the whole story collapses. And I think hearing their sort of evolving experience of reading the records was very affirming, because their job is to basically doubt me and to doubt what I'm writing, and the fact that they came in ready to doubt, and then you know, one of the fact trickers said like, oh my god, I think she might be innocent.
Speaker 1: On May thirteenth, twenty twenty four, Rachel Aviv's article a British nurse was found guilty of killing seven babies?
Speaker 4: Did she do?
Speaker 1: It? Was published?
Speaker 4: Well, the impact of the New York piece was huge, absolutely huge.
Speaker 1: It would have been impossible for Rachel Aviv to know that the mere act of publishing her article would send shock waves through an entire country, But the moment filmmaker and journalist Nikkurry heard about it, she knew the impression it would make.
Speaker 4: Just in terms of opening people's minds to the possibility that something else might have happened. In the case that everything might not be as it seemed.
Speaker 1: A Knook says the piece stood apart in a number of ways. That was.
Speaker 4: Quite an unusual piece of writing for a UK audience who's used to wait more used to sort of news reporting.
Speaker 1: The article was over thirteen thousand words. The average news article is a fraction of that.
Speaker 4: The political class and probably people working in medicine and people who had some expertise in different fields, I think it had a big impact on them, and it was just the first time that things were questioned really openly.
Speaker 1: Rachel's article looked closely at the entire Lucy let Be saga and asked questions about every step from the police investigation.
Speaker 2: The police department was actually relying on the doctors who thought that Lucy let Be was the murder as kind of translators to help them understand the medical evidence, and so then their perception of what was going on was really filtered through people who had who already had a belief that she was guilty.
Speaker 1: Was there consensus among the experts you talked to about the legitimacy or not of the evidence that was used to convict let Be.
Speaker 2: Almost everyone was quite flum mixed by the air embolism idea. There were claims being made that just like didn't cohere with people's understanding of basic physiology. As far as the insulent evidence. Everyone was very confused by those numbers. There was just a general sense of this doesn't read on paper at least as an intentional poisoning. And also the test that was used is just unreliable.
Speaker 1: Shockingly, for the first time, the public was asked to rethink the statistical information used to convict her. Specifically, that chart which showed Lucy let Be was on duty each time a baby died. It was powerful evidence. We tend to assume that irregular things happen because someone intentionally caused them, Rachel wrote. In her article, she quotes the Nobel Prize winning economist dmil Conneman, who says that our predilection for casual thinking exposes us to serious mistakes in evaluating the randomness of truly random events. Reading this article, for the first time, the British public was forced to question just how convincing this evidence really was. Was there anyone that you reached out to who was someone who questioned that narrative, but who was afraid to come forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a statistician who had consulted for the defense, who ultimately wasn't asked to testify, who had those concerns, like you know she I remember her telling me that she was really concerned that Lucy let Be was being bullied. And then the defense expert for the let Be team, who was never called, I mean, he said he was like staying up night worrying about this, Like I don't think he would have gone out and spoken about his concerns unless I don't think it was something he was going to do on his own. But once he saw that a journalist was also concerned about this, then he was willing to sort of like almost access some of those real doubts he had. But I think when I first talked to him, he wasn't in a place of this woman is definitely innocent, But he was in a place of real doubt about the quality of evidence that he had seen a trial.
Speaker 1: Beyond the complicated evidence and the investigation's tunnel vision. Rachel's article also forced readers to confront more basic problems with the case against let Be.
Speaker 2: I think status and gender also really came into play. This belief originated with a group of mal doctors who had a lot of status.
Speaker 4: In that environment.
Speaker 2: And so even though the nurses really did support Lucy let Be for a very long long time, you could see that over the years, with each sort of legal step that you could just see them sort of doubting themselves. So there was this one very painful interview with Lucy Letbe's direct manager, sort of like the nursing supervisor, And even after the verdict, you could tell she'd like come in there to say that she'd been fooled by Lucy Letbe, but like she couldn't quite say that. She was still kind of asking, like, how can this be? Like can someone be such a good actor?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I just I spent so much time with her crying about this. It seems so sincere. It was almost like she was asking, help me believe that she's guilty, because I still fundamentally don't.
Speaker 1: What do you think about why the evil nurse version of the story took hold so quickly?
Speaker 2: There are few events as sort of destabilizing and terrifying as a young child dying, And I do think that it kind of like breaks our brains a bit to think that this is a random act that can happen to anyone that you combine a vulnerable child with some health problems, and you combine that with an overworked hospital and busy doctors and a couple of mistakes, and your child can die. So I think like on an intellectual level, it is easier to believe that there's one evil agent creating harm than to sort of sit with the fact that we are all susceptible to these random acts of horrific luck horrific bad luck.
Speaker 1: This is especially so in the UK because in the UK all public health care is provided through the NHS, the National Health Service. It's worth taking a moment to explain a little about the law of the NHS.
Speaker 6: An enormous welcome to the City of London and to the Olympic Stadium for the Olympic Games of twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: In twenty twelve, the London Olympic Opening Ceremony set out to tell the world who Britain believed itself to be.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: The Union flag is raised by representatives from the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force.
Speaker 1: There were tributes to the monarchy, to the armed forces, to British music. Bowie the Beatles, the sex pistols, there were even dozens of Mary Poppins floating down onto the stadium floor. But the moment that lingered most for me was something else entirely a meticulously choreographed celebration of the National Health Service.
Speaker 6: Now we move on to celebrates an institution which was founded the year of the last London Olympics in nineteen forty eight, and they're going to see a very special example.
Speaker 4: Please welcome and the staff of the United Kingdom National Health Service.
Speaker 1: And our hospital beds rolled onto the stage. Nurses and doctors stood at the center of the spectacle. The NHS wasn't presented as a public service. It was presented as a national virtue.
Speaker 7: No, our Enbarns famous principle more societic than the thistlement. They called itself civilized with the same person is divided medical aid because of that of means.
Speaker 1: In Britain, the NHS is more than an institution. It's a point of pride, a moral achievement, something people grow up being taught to protect. So when allegations emerged that babies had died on a neonatal unit, the question many were primed to ask was not whether the NHS had failed, whether the hospital had failed, but who within it was responsible. By the time Lucy let Be took the stand, her task was not simply to defend herself against accusations of murder, a daunting enough challenge. Implicitly, she was being asked to do something far harder, to convince a jury and in turn the public, that something had gone catastrophically wrong inside one of Britain's most trusted institutions. All this was something that did not go unnoticed by Rachel.
Speaker 8: I mean, the.
Speaker 2: NHS is, you know, this sort of wonderful thing that that is a huge part of a national identity, and yet like it's been defunded over the years. So there's these very difficult conversations to be had about the level of healthcare, particularly for women and babies. And I think at trial you could even see the defense lawyer saying, like, we love the NHS, this isn't about the NHS, Like he was very almost afraid to make the jury think that they were being asked to say the NHS was bad. There was almost a sort of like this is our nationality, we will not ruin the symbol. It's like easier to say that there's one evil creature doing these malevolent, crazy things that have no explanation than to say, like every time I go to this hospital that's extremely important to my national identity. There are these risks that are not being properly managed.
Speaker 1: But there was one thing that pushed Rachel's article into the stratosphere above all others, good old fashioned censorship.
Speaker 4: What was the surprise was that somebody published when reporting restrictions were still in place in the UK. That was a really bold thing to do and heightened the impact in many ways because there was this element of people not being able to read it in the UK, and people want to read what they don't have access to.
Speaker 1: The restrictions that NUK Curry is talking about are pretty hard for North Americans to get their heads around. In the UK. As soon as a criminal matter becomes active, meaning a person gets arrested or a trial is announced, strict restrictions are placed on any media coverage. Anyone publishing anything that could be seen as a substantial risk to the course of justice can face contempt of court charges.
Speaker 4: Crap Prosecution Service decided that there would be a retrial on one count, and that was a baby k and I was at the court when it was just discussed announced that there would be a retrial and therefore there were reporting restrictions in place. That meant that nobody could write or talk about the Lucy let Be case for nine months, and that was absolutely extraordinary.
Speaker 1: You see, after Lucy let Be's first trial there was one count of attempted murder that the jury could not come to agreement on the death of baby K. One month and four days after Lucy was sentenced to spend the rest of her life in prison, the prosecution announced it would be retrying her for the death of Baby K. Immediately, a media blackout was put in place.
Speaker 2: Additional reporting is seen as breaking the reporting rules, so it felt like there was just no counter voices.
Speaker 1: But those restrictions are only enforceable in the UK. The New Yorker is well American. Rachel's piece came out in the spring of twenty twenty four, although some hard copies did end up making it to UK shelves. There were attempts in the UK to block access online, but clearly there are ways around geofencing and there's human instinct. People in the UK found a way to read it.
Speaker 4: So that probably heightened interest.
Speaker 1: One of the people who ended up reading the piece was a member of the British Parliament, a man named David Davis.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, The New Yorker magazine published a thirteen thousand word inquiry into the Lucy Letbee trial, which raised enormous concerns about both the logic and competence of the statistical evidence that was a central part of that trial.
Speaker 1: With the Lord Chancell Luca standing up in the House of Commons speaking about the possibility of miscarriage of justice, David Davis forced a different conversation.
Speaker 5: That article was blocked from publication on the UK Internet. I understand because of court order. I'm sure that court order was well intended, but it seems to me in defiance of open justice.
Speaker 1: Am I just naive? I mean, I've I've learned a lot about journalism, but I've never gone to a school of journalism, Like that's not my background. Am I naive to think that it's the job of journalism to question authority and not just be the mouthpiece of authority.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 2: That's a good characterization, But I think like the laws in England, I mean, I was really shocked. You're not supposed to interview people who are involved in the case, So how then are you going to get a sort of counter narrative to what the prosecution is putting out. That was the real problem, and that's why my story. I think there was just this like sense of like, how is no one else sort of articulating this? It was I mean, I think it was the reporting restrictions, but I also think it was just sort of a general sense of deference to the doctors and experts who had made these judgments. When I asked for interviews from some of the doctors involved in the case and the experts, I just don't think it occurred to them that I wouldn't just be sort of helping them do a little victory lap about the conviction.
Speaker 1: What did these doctors have at stake if Lucy wasn't found guilty.
Speaker 2: At the beginning, not much. But then I think, like anyone, they sort of developed identities that were around being these heroic whistleblowers, and they were treated like that in the media, and so yeah, it is humiliating, like if they are not these heroic whistleblowers, what have they done? They've ruined a woman's life. I can understand even on like a psychological level, why it would be heard for these doctors now to consider the evidence in a sort of neutral objective way.
Speaker 1: Were you aware of how big of a splash your peace made when it came out.
Speaker 2: I mean, something I noticed that I found really interesting was that people who read it from America and from other countries outside of England kind of read it in a pretty consistent way. They were like, I'm so horrified, I cannot believe this woman was convicted of these crimes. People who read it in England, like absolutely did not have that response, and I think that's because they were looking at it through this framework of having been exposed to so much media coverage about this case.
Speaker 1: Mike Check, Hi, nice to meet you. Would you mind introducing yourself for our audience?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 9: And my name is Polly I why can a shop actually at the moment in a small village in the English countryside sounds idyllic.
Speaker 1: I first connected with Polly way back in twenty twenty four. She was just one of many people who reached out to me about the Lucy let Beee case. In her initial email to me, she wrote, but hey, Amanda, I wanted to get in touch to ask you to consider looking into a recent case that is extremely troubling. She told me that she believed the Lucy was a victim of a troubled system, writing quote, I wholly believe it is a gross miscarriage of justice. I do not believe there were any murders or attacks. I believe those babies died due to poor care in a seriously failing hospital. Polly, like the majority of people in the UK, followed the Lucy let Me story as it unfolded day by day.
Speaker 9: The media in the UK, as you probably know, sort of got hold of this story and really went with it like a I don't know, like a terrier after a rat or something, as they do quite often. The headlines that were coming out were fairly strong, shall we say. I don't think I even questioned whether she was guilt, You're not. I think that was for me at the beginning. It was a sure thing, you know, And that was because of the media, I believe.
Speaker 1: But as time went on, as the coverage piled on, many of the quiet questions Polly had been asking herself during the whole saga grew louder.
Speaker 9: I just had this huge, thinking feeling that something was incredibly wrong with it. And when you sort of you're listening to the drama of the prosecutions, and there's a lot of drama associated with it. It's theater, you know, and when you look beyond all the sort of incredibly dramatic emotive language, I just thought, they just don't really have anything, or what they do have is sort of been cobbled together. And then there's this narrative spun and it just it just didn't sit right to me. It wasn't believable. There's huge holes in the story that they were telling and what they had to back it up with.
Speaker 1: Reading Rachel's New Yorker story had a lot of people seeing the holes Polly saw, and that is exactly what Rachel had hoped would happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope that it would cause people to really question their assumptions and think about the case in a very different way.
Speaker 4: Did it I think it did.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it kind of really like unleashed this. It felt like it opened space. I think having the New Yorker could sort of come out and establish this real possibility of or innocence like opened up more maybe confidence because there has been great reporting since my piece came out from British journalists about new aspects of the case. So I think it like the momentum shifted. It's been nice to watch momentum growing, like there have been more and more people feeling empowered to express their concerns, and there's there's more sense of like alarm and concern by journalists and people in government.
Speaker 1: But not everyone was jumping to join Polly's innocence campaign, including some in the media, especially the newspapers that spent thousands of pages writing about Lucy's guilt. The following is an actor reading from an opinion piece by journalist Liz Hull. Hull covered the let Bee trial for The Daily Mail.
Speaker 10: I wrote in these pages soon afterwards about the strange band of misfits and ghoules convinced let Be is innocent and emboldened by conspiracy theorists online traveled daily to Manchester Crown Court to see the woman in the dock, who they insist is the real victim in this case.
Speaker 1: This is how many of Letbey's supporters were painted as just misfits and ghouls out to free a child murderer. Asking questions about the Letbe case came with a great risk, not just risk of being ostracized, but risk of coming across as a conspiracy theorist nut one that was not to be believed. The mere suggestion that something could have gone wrong in the system was unthinkable.
Speaker 4: I do wonder whether we should be more mindful when somebody's convicted that sometimes the system does get things wrong and sometimes things aren't absolute. And it feels that in this case there was no room for.
Speaker 1: That journalist and nuck Curry was also hearing from people like Polly, people who were uncomfortable with the conviction. But these people they were afraid to stick their necks out in fear they too would be labeled a misfit or a ghoul. And that included professionals who were questioning the medical and statistical evidence.
Speaker 4: Initially, people would really terrify that the fact that they had concerns might become public. They felt that it could be it could destroy their careers because it was very taboo. The narrative was set Lucy let Be had unquestionably murdered seven babies and harmed a number of others, and to question that really was to boo.
Speaker 1: And this stranglehold on criticism discussion questioning it's harmful. I know this personally, and I'm grateful to the many misfits and ghouls who backed my innocence when it was extremely unpopular to do so.
Speaker 4: It just seems like it's black and white, doesn't it. We told one thing or the other, and what is needed sometimes is exploration in the middle of it to try and try and find out what the truth really is.
Speaker 1: There is no way. The Crown's Office wasn't aware of the slow and steady beat of growing concern over Lucy's conviction, but their focus was now on the retrial of Lucy Leppie for a charge they couldn't stick during her first trial.
Speaker 4: The Crap Prosecution Service decided that there would be a retrial on one count, and that was a Baby K.
Speaker 1: Baby K was a premature infant born at twenty five weeks at the Countess of Chester Hospital on February seventeenth, twenty sixteen. She died in her parents' arms three days after her birth on February twentieth. Prosecutors were alleging that Lucy tampered with the baby's breathing tube. This trial would face a more educated and more critical public, but the court of public opinion is very different from the court of justice.
Speaker 8: Now, if you look into the evidence for Baby K it's one of the ones where there's the least possible evidence against against Lucy, and where the whole case is basically the word of Lucy against the word of Revi Jayara. I think the prosecution is meant to lose that trial.
Speaker 1: That's the next time on Doubt, the Case of Lucy Let Be. Doubt. The Case of Lucy Let Be is brought to you by Vespucci, iHeart Podcasts and Knox Robinson Productions. I've been your host Amanda Knox. This episode was written by Kathleen Goldhar. The co producer was Lucy Ditchmont. The senior producer was Natalia Rodriguez. The assistant producer was Amy Gill. The sound designer is Tom Biddle. The theme music was also written by Tom Biddle. Story editing by Kathleen Goldhar, fact checking by Amy Gill, voice acting by Sarah Starling and David Charles. Legal advice was provided by Jack Browning. The executive producers were Joe Meek, Amanda Knox, Christopher Robinson, Daniel Turkin, and Johnny Galvin. Thank you for listening,