Speaker 1: Mother Knows Death starring Nicole and Jemmy and Maria qk.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: Everyone, welcome The Mother Knows Death. As usual, we have so many great stories for you guys this week. Today, we're going to start off with the devastating floods in Texas. Actor Michael Madsen is dead. He was pretty young, so that was kind of shocking. Of course, we just celebrated Fourth of July in America this weekend, and to no one's surprise, there's been multiple firework injuries and deaths. One staple of the Fourth of July holiday, at least for us anyways, hot dogs, and we're going to talk about why medical experts say there is no amount of hot dogs that is safe for human consumption. That's kind of a very bold statement, honestly. And a space capsule that was carrying human remains into space that crashed. All that and more, including your questions on today's episode, let's get started talking about these This is just so horrific for any parent to be watching what's unraveling in Texas right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on fourth of July, several counties in central Texas, it was a little northwest of San Antonio. They were hit with these horrific floods. So the Guadalupe River rose over twenty feet in just a matter of forty five minutes, which must have been absolutely terrifying. And one of the most disturbing parts of the story is that a summer camp was near the river. It held over seven hundred and fifty girls. Initially over two dozen of them were missing, and now unfortunately some of them have died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I guess along this Guadalupe River there's multiple places that have camps for kids or even just anybody that wants to camp overnight. It's a recreation spot there was. It also occurred on fourth of July, so they don't even know exactly how many people people were along the river just celebrating anyway. So really trying to get a true estimate of what happened is really hard to determine at this time. But as of right now when we're recording, it looks like the water started to rise at four o'clock in the morning. And of course, especially when you have a camp full of children or just like anybody in general, is usually sleeping at four o'clock in the morning, so this came very unexpected to them and imagine being in your bed sleeping and the next thing you know, water is filling up in your cabin and you have to try to evacuate or just figure like waking up out of a dead sleep and encountering that, especially as a child. It sounded like some of the camping cabins had kids as young as seven, eight, nine years old, with a counselor that was a teenager two. So it like it's just a lot for people to deal with, especially since it was so unexpected. It doesn't seem like they really envisioned anything of this level was going to happen. There's still, as of we're recording right now, there's still a lot of people missing, including children, which is just I can't even imagine what the parents are going through. I saw some video of this dad going through the devastated area and just picking up like mattresses and debris, like looking for his eight year old child. Could you even imagine how terrible that is? No, absolutely not, And we know from past floods. I mean, Gabe went to Ashville during Hurricane Helene recently in October to go recover bodies unfortunately from a similar kind of situation, and we know especially from his experience that people when you're swept away in a flash flood like that, that you can be found miles and miles away from where you started. And in fact, there was a woman that was camping with her family next to this river and the rescuers found her in a freaking tree alive twenty miles up the river from where she was.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's really lucky she survived it, because, as we see in this case, all these people were missing. Some people are found alive, and some people are unfortunately found dead. I mean there's still a couple of the girls missing as of recording this, so I don't know how that's at this point. It's probably not gonna end up good for the families.
Speaker 3: No, it's been too many days, and I mean, unfortunately, this is what Gabe dealt with when he went to Asheville too. It's like you might not ever find them, and that's what's as a parent, like just losing your child as it is just must be so terrible, But then think about never having that closure of that and just always wondering it. Just I just feel so terrible about it, and I don't know if it could have been prevented, Like in hindsight, they're going to look back and look at everything and be like, oh, we should have did this. But one thing that I wanted to bring up is that where we live in our area, Maria and I, we don't live like on a river bank, right, We do live near the Delaware River and tributaries of that, but we get flash flood warnings all the time, like seriously in the summer, especially now. How many have we gotten this week? If I look at my phone, I could say that we've gotten we got four within the past couple of days. We just get them all the time, and at some point you just kind of you, I mean, I hate to say this, but you just are like, Okay, do you think it's possible that they get them all the time here and they just didn't really take it seriously because ACU weather is saying that they put out plenty of flash flood warnings and they believed that officials should have taken those warnings seriously and evacuated the camp. But there were seven hundred and some people at this camp, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there was a lot of people, and it seems like they predicted as early as Wednesday that there was going to be flooding, But I don't think anybody foresaw how catastrophic it was going to be, like in this case. I mean, it seemed that when it started developing in the middle of the night, it happened so quickly. They were saying that the water levels from the river rose over twenty feet in just forty five minutes. So how are you supposed to predict it's going to be that catastrophic? And like you said, like.
Speaker 3: We live, well, I mean in theory, whether people should be able to predict that there's going to be a dump like that, I mean that just well, they should be able to predict a many not exactly, but like they should be in a ballpark of Like, I mean, that had to show something different. Let me read these I forgot to tell you. I wanted to read you these statistics that I found online because they're so it just shows the greatness of this. It's said that this tropical storm dumped three trillion gallons of water okay, which into the Guadalupe River, which is equivalent to the amount of water used in the United States the entire year. It could fill one point five million Olympic sized pools and it's about one point five months worth of waterflow at Niagara Falls. Like that's how much water we're talking about just came on into this water. I mean, it's just I don't know, it's just like a crazy natural disaster. You say the same thing when there's tsunamis and there's hurricanes and there's earthquakes, tornadoes. It's just Mother Nature doing its thing, you know, and it's it's just so sad for these families. I just can't even imagine what they're going through. As of right now, there's been close to a hundred people that have been found dead. So we'll wait and see what happens throughout the week. But I'm not feeling great about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I think flash flood warnings are one of those things that people often ignore because they don't think it's going to be that bad. They think it's just going to be like their street flooding out, not horrific things like this. Even when you were saying, like, we live near the Delaware River, and sometimes when we get flash flood warnings, you know, it's as simple as the street just floods out, or sometimes it's been so bad that in neighboring towns. People have to ride boats down the street to get away from their house.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think it's You're right in saying whether people should be able to predict it, But I think a lot of it is purely unpredictable. How many times do you open your weather up and it says one thing and then it's completely different. There's only so much that they could predict.
Speaker 3: Well, that's every day of my life, I feel, so.
Speaker 1: I guess right now where it's landing is that some officials are saying they gave ample notice. Some are saying they didn't think it was going to be that bad. And I don't know if they're going to do an investigation to see if somebody didn't make the right call or what, or if this was truly just missignals an accident.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about Michael Madsen. You want to hear. I don't know if I told you this, but last week Paul, my friend, Paul, doctor Kunaris, had texted me a picture. He's always in the desert in Arizona, stumbling across abandoned things, and he sent me this really cool picture of a trailer in the Desert and I wrote him back and I was like, Oh, that looks like Michael Madsen's trailer and kill Bill. And a couple hours later, I get this alert across my phone that said Michael Madsen died. I just thought it was so weird. I'm like, I haven't said that dude's name in such a long time, and I just so happened to think about him, and then he died a couple hours later. It was just really bizarre.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like the world just works like that. Sometimes there's been a couple of times I've had dreams about totally random people and then they end up end up funding out like a week later that they died or something.
Speaker 2: And then Mama'm always I.
Speaker 3: Remember that one time you did with one of our friends that was nuts. Maybe you're like clairvoyant or something.
Speaker 1: It's happened to me at least three times, and Mamam always jokes with me that she hopes I don't dream about her. So I don't know. It's just it's like a freak thing that happened.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 1: So Michael Madson. He's mostly well known for being in Quentin Tarantino movies, such as kill Bill reservoir Dogs, Once upon a Time in Hollywood. He has dieded sixty seven years old from your favorite cause of death, cardiac arrest.
Speaker 3: So it's so annoying. Oh, he died because his heart stopped. Thanks for the information. So I was looking into him a little and apparently he's been having a problem with alcoholism for a long time. So I'm not sure if that contributed to his death, but it's likely that it did if he's been drinking alcohol like that for a majority of his life.
Speaker 1: Well, I also read that in twenty twenty two his eldest son had died by suicide and behind the scenes, he was dealing with, according to his loved ones, immense grief. So I'm wondering if you know, the heartbreak has played a little bit into that, maybe that drove the alcohol consumption. It's really sad what's going on. But hopefully we'll get a more concrete cause of death instead of just the generalized cardiac orist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thinking about that. We usually do get follow up with actors, but we never did. We ever get a follow up on ray leodamor Remember he died and everybody was kind of shocked about it. I feel like we never really heard what happened with him.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think we did.
Speaker 1: But didn't he die on vacation or somewhere else? Because I wanted to say in California, I think that those are all public record, but I believe he was on vacation in another country so the family might be able to keep it private for those that worked out for them. Yeah, I mean it did because a lot of people just want the media frenzy to stop around it, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So we'll keep you guys up to date if we hear anything else about his his cause or manner of death. I mean, he could have had complications from alcoholic curosis whatever, or just like he could have had dilated cardiomyopathy anything like that from chronic drinking. So we'll say can't We really can't do anything with cardiac arrest like news slash. That's how everyone dies, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, all right, So last week in California, a fire broke out at a fireworks warehouse and that led to a giant explosion that not only destroyed nearby homes but left some people. Did we have a couple stories involving fireworks Obviously, fourth of July was just a few days ago, so.
Speaker 3: They're going to be rolling in. But last year, so data from twenty twenty four said that fourteen seven hundred people were treated in the emergency room for firework related injuries and of those, eleven people died. Thirty seven percent of the injuries were burns to the hands, fingers, and face, and most of the people were aged twenty five to forty four. So in a case like this, with the firework factory explosion, that's going to be on like another level of injury that a typical homeowner that's putting off fireworks, which is the most typical injuries would happen. They said they found human remains.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, so they found the remains of seven people, and three of which were brothers. So that is so horrific for the families involved. Another person was found the day of on the scene and a woman was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Several animals were injured as well.
Speaker 3: I always feel like that when we're traveling, I there's always like these stores that sell fireworks and you go in and they are huge warehouses of fireworks, Like I just wouldn't even go in one of them. They scare me because they just have so much flammable stuff that you're like, this is going to be a problem if this place catches on fire, if someone smokes outside of here or something and lights it.
Speaker 1: Well, this was a particularly scary scenario because this warehouse didn't hold retail fireworks that were used to seeing out. They were a company that specifically specialized in large scale display fireworks. So they're saying right now, it's unclear how the fire started, but if you see the video of the warehouse fire, it's like this giant plume coming out of this building and then you just see fireworks shooting out from all angles, and that's what caused all the other damage. It must be scary to the first responders too that are trying to put it out, and they just don't know if these like bombs are gonna keep shooting out of the building. I know, it's really scary and I don't know. Like, so when they say they found human remains, that to me means that these people were blown into bits, because usually if it's if it's a fresh body, they would say they found they found seven bodies, and they sound when they say remains it's usually either a person that's severely decomposed, skeletonized, or in pieces. And that's what I'm thinking happened here. A typical firework wouldn't cause that kind of a damage you see more because they they're more of a lower energy type of explosive. But in this situation when they have, like you were saying, they were supplying major theatrical fireworks for displays, like did you see the one on the Brooklyn Bridge? It was like out of control. It looked so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you think about that level of fireworks all together in a factory, then you could see some kind of injuries that you would expect to see in another kind like a higher energy explosion like a propane tank or something like that. So that could cause a person to be have blast injuries that would cause the sacks and their lungs to rupture and cause bleeding in the lung. It could just it could throw them feet away from where the initial impact was, and it also could blow their body into pieces. Unfortunately, So I wanted to tell you because I don't even know if you caught this when we were getting ready to do the show. But two other firework deaths just came across in the news, one being a seventy year old guy that was detonating a firework on the beach and it exploded into space. And another one was a little girl, eight year old girl again involved in a situation where people outside of her house were setting off fireworks and she got injured by one and it killed her.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not surprised, and we're gonna see them rolling out over the next couple of weeks. We see it every year on New Year's Eve, on fourth of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day. People just can't help themselves. No, it's really crazy.
Speaker 3: And I was telling you actually because we had like a huge Fourth of July party, which ended up being really awesome. Actually, but I was telling Maria that this just goes with my theory of you know how, I have a theory that people smoke weed more now because it's legal, and that makes people think that they're allowed to do it, and that's why you see an increase of use. I feel like it's the same thing here in New Jersey, at least, because fireworks just recently became legal, and it's just no coincidence that now every single night and it's not just fourth of July, it's been days leading up to it. It was still happening last night that more and more people are using fireworks. But then this article cited with the eight year old that just died, that all these people are using illegal fireworks and this is what's happening too in our town. Like some of the fireworks that were going off, there is absolutely no way that a person should be lighting them off when there's houses so close together and trees and people. It's you know, when remember when we did that high profile death dissection on that hockey player matt uh, what was his name?
Speaker 2: You could ever say?
Speaker 3: Can't I ever say?
Speaker 2: It's Matif Matif Lennox?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well why can't I say it? I don't know, it's just kind of a crazy name. But anyway, he when he died, and when we wrote up that high profile death disseection, it was like the pyrotechnic people and experts that are in this field, they always suggest that if you're using any kind of firework like that, that you should be when you detonate it, it should be fifty feet away from you, which is a huge distance. Like I don't even think my next door neighbor's house is anywhere near that far away from us, you know what I mean. So just think about doing that in a small town, like so many people are using and abusing the the legality of what we're allowed to do here.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So similarly, Thursday night, a massive fire also broke out, but this time in a neighborhood in LA from fireworks, which also damaged multiple properties and killed one man. A woman was also reportedly burned so bad that she's now in critical condition, and four others were treated for smoke inhalation.
Speaker 3: So the interesting thing about this one, though, is that they don't know what started the fire, but this person had a very large stock of fireworks, again in a residential home. It's just weird. But whatever started the fire led to all of these fireworks going off and catching fire to nearby houses and brush. It's very well possible that the firework itself started the fire, but even if it was, I don't know. They were barbecuing on a grill and it caught up. Like obviously the explosion is going to be ten times worse because they had this abnormal stock of fireworks at their house, Like, why does a person have to have a large stock of fireworks. It's just so weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know people like having them.
Speaker 1: And I was looking up the legality of them in California and it seems like you're allowed to have ones that are deemed safe by a fire marshal and they have specific, specific markings on them to indicate that. But I'm surprised they allow them at all with the dry conditions they have and they're risk for wildfires.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially since the one that happened this year, I would be like, I would think that they would be illegal. It is actually interesting that they are allowed like that.
Speaker 1: But I thought this was unusual that only two days apart, you have these massive fires, both in California. Don't know, if you know, it's like chicken or egg like what started? Did the fireworks start the fire that then led the other ones to go off, or was there a fire that set all the fireworks off. It's such a bizarre situation for two of these events that happen in one week. I mean, I feel like we haven't seen something like this in a while. We usually see stories of people that blow their hands off, not whole like areas getting affected by an explosion.
Speaker 3: We were out in the backyard. I mean you you were still at our house when they started going nuts.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, And it was pretty like not to be a total granny about it, but it was like really late too, and they're so loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So as soon as you guys left, I feel like you guys left at like ten o'clock later, I think eleven, Okay, So like, well, right as soon as you guys left, I went up to bed and me and Gabor lay in bed and I hear fire talks like they're going to a fire, legit, And then there was a fatal fire in our town. Two people died like right here right after that, and I'm like, God, was that? I mean, they didn't say what started it yet, but like, I'm just like it, is it coincidental that we just heard all that craziness and now a house is burning down and it's just terrible.
Speaker 1: So because of how catastrophic this was, over one hundred and thirty firemen had to respond to the scene, which is insane. And then, like in the last story, I just can't imagine the danger you're exposing the first responders to having these things shoot out of the house and not knowing where they're coming from, where they're going, what direction they're going, how much damage they're gonna do. Well, that's one thing Gab's always taught me.
Speaker 3: It's just like they are always going in and expecting the unexpected. You know, Like one time he went into a fire and he's like there was like a lawnmower filled with gasoline, and container's a gasoline in someone's basement, Like why why why would you have that in your house? Ever, Like it's you know what I mean, just like people, and then all of a sudden it's like, oh shit, you have like gasoline in somebody's house and their house is on fire. It's just like you never know, and if you talk to any normal person, they would say like, no, I would never store canisters of gasoline in my basement because for obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: But people do, right, Yeah, I mean, I'm sure most people's homes you go into have some totally weird, unexpected thing going on. This episode is brought to you by the Grosser Room. So we've been talking about all day. We have so many Fourth of July related injury posts in the Grossroom, so to check that out if you want to see what this looks like, we've had cases of people in different situations dying from firework related injuries working in a.
Speaker 3: Factory, so you could see the huge difference of those injuries and why people are found in as human remains. I just did one a post yesterday called groundhog Day because that's what Fourth of July feels like to me. We just keep on. You know, everyone knows that this could happen, and yet every single year we hear about this stuff. It's really crazy. So if you want to see videos and photos of what those injuries look like, check out the gross Room.
Speaker 2: Head over to the grossroom dot com now to sign up.
Speaker 3: All right, So this most recent study is kind of bumming me out about hot dogs. I love a good hot dog, especially at the baseball game.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Let's get it, dude.
Speaker 1: So a new study has been released showing that there's quote no safe amount of hot dogs to eat, and it links regularly eating process meat to a higher risk of type two diabetes and colorectal cancer. I mean, I'm not really surprised hot dogs aren't good for you.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing, though, that you have to think about So all right, let's talk about the study that was done first. So it's done in Nature medicine, and they said a typical hot dog is around fifty grams. So they did a study to see if you eat one of them a day, and they compared it to people who were eating nonprocessed meat, and they found that there was an eleven percent higher risk of type two diabetes and a seven percent higher risk of colorectal cancer. So they're saying that even Like, I feel like it's the articles misworded a little bit because it's like, oh, there's no Like I feel like if you say something is not safe for human consumption, to me, that's like like poison, like drinking bleach, Like yeah, like bleach, you know what I mean. I I feel like I think I've had like three hot dogs this year, Like I don't think that that's not safe for human consumption. It's not safe to eat it every day, but I would say in moderation, it's fine, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I was gonna say, because do you I know this person exists, but do you know anybody in your life that eats a hot dog every single day?
Speaker 3: No? I don't Gabe would Gabe would Babe is like such a hot dog horror he like he'll eat he is. He will get a hot dog at like home depot, that's like testing. He'll go. He'll get one from the shittiest corner person that's selling them. Like all the time we've gone out to dinner before, and we'll be in the city and then there'll be a hot dog cart and he buys a hot dog after we just ate like a good meal. He just so even and he gets what four? I think he gets four every single time we go to the game, and sometimes Ricky brings him more later. I know he eats like four to six in a sitting, but he but like that's really the only time he eats them now, is like when we go to games. So I'm gonna show him this study and tell him that. But but really like that the whole point that I really wanted to talk about this is this is like a really important point. So you know how there's been an increased risk of colorectal cancer and people my age, Yeah, Like, do you think it has anything to do with the fact that we were like given lunch meat sandwiches every single day of our life growing up.
Speaker 1: I mean it could have. I think about this a lot though it could have. But also when you were getting when you were growing up, it was totally common to eat all processed meals all the time. TV dinners were huge. You guys were eating lunch meat. And then during my age, you know, we have lunch, we have things like that. I think the I think processed food as a whole is a problem, and that's definitely pulling back a little bit, like I feel like my generation and younger generations aren't eating as much process food as your generation and boomers were eating.
Speaker 3: I don't know, though, I think it depends because like my mom cooked dinner every single night. We only went out once in a while, and then when we did it was pete, it was pizza and stuff like, we didn't have a ton of that stuff. But for lunch, definitely, and there was and definitely as I got older, I always thought like, oh, if you have turkey, it's lunch meat, turkey for lunch, it's healthy. And then or if you get the turkey and like roll it with a piece of cheese or something like that would be considered healthy. But it's I started realizing that especially when we became gluten free, because I didn't even realize that lunch meat had gluten in it. And then you're like, wait a second, I thought it was just meat, and it's not. It's just full of preservatives and shit, like if they're putting some kind of filler in there that has gluten in it. So I could see why it's not healthy for you anymore. I would, But but like I think, if you want to have a HOGI every once in a while, it's not going to kill you. You just can't eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.
Speaker 1: Well seriously, like, obviously processed food is not good, But realistically, who has the time to eat one hundred percent of their meal from whole foods that they're cooking all the meals themselves. I'm serious, Well, who has the time to cook like that and eat like that all the time?
Speaker 3: I mean, you could try your bed, but at the same time, like you you could, it's just cheaper, like especially when you and I are running errands. It's just like we always say this that we hate that we don't eat glute and anymore because it was so much easier to just go to Wah wah and get a soft pretzel and eat that for lunch. Right now, we can't have our go to lunch. But it's eat I mean, it just costs more money to go get a salad and you have to sit down and eat it with a fork and you can't just like shove it in your mouth while you're driving around and stuff. You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then I think of people like, you know, Joey Chestnut who just participated and won the Nathan's Hot Dog Contest for the seventeenth time, and this year he ate seventy and a half hot dogs.
Speaker 2: In ten minutes.
Speaker 1: So somebody like him, Yes, I think you should study a person like that and their longevity because I imagine he's not only doing this once a year. There's probably some training going into it.
Speaker 3: But does does that have a bun?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Seventy yeah, seventy and a half in ten minutes. This is this is my problem.
Speaker 3: You have to train your body for that for sure. And I don't know. Yeah, yeah, God, he really shouldn't be eating. I mean, I don't know what you could eat to mimic the volume. He has to be doing something to like I know, but but like he can't be eating I have to call him like, he can't be eating hot dogs like that, that's really bad.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure he talked about him last year during this contest, and I'm pretty sure I said this again last year. The guy that came in second place had forty six hot dogs, so he only had to eat forty seven to win. So why did he eat seventy Well, No, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's a good idea actually, because he made the world record so much high or is it world or whatever.
Speaker 1: His personal high is seventy six, so this is not even the most easy in it.
Speaker 3: But he set the bar so high that it will be very hard for anybody to beat that record for a very long time, if ever. So I understand why he did that that because like what if he wasn't able to do it anymore the following year. Like I think that it's smart that he kept doing it if he wants. I mean, that is a prestigious title to hold in your life forever and to be known as that even when you die.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think they should study a person like that versus you know, a proclaimed hot dog horse such as Gabe, who does eat a lot of hot dogs, but not every single day.
Speaker 3: He might. I wish you'd consider getting him involved in one of these competitions. He might be able to do it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want to see it.
Speaker 3: Because he you know how, you know how when you go on the boardwalk, there's that pizza place that's like, if you could eat this pizza in ten minutes, you get one hundred and fifty pies or something like. It's something crazy like that, and he's always like, I could do that. I think I could do that, And I'm like, there's probably some kind of catch that they want to give you all the one hundred and fifty pies in like one night. It's not like guaranteed coupon for you know, and it's not the it's not really the good pizza place either, so like whatever, but yeah, the eating contest or what's this guy's body look like?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What is he? He looks like a normal Like he's like an average dot. He's just like an average build.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's nothing crazy, but he's just he's just this like pivotal figure and not dog eating god that.
Speaker 3: I'm actually really interested in this from an anatomic perspective of how he trains for that because thinking about like obviously he has to stretch his stomach in order to be able to accommodate that. So for example, like we just went on the cruise and we ate all you could eat, and we all ate like such pigs. And now it's like you come home and you feel like you're hungrier and stuff, and it's because like your stomach stretched out a little bit and you got to reel it back in for it to shrink down a little bit. You know, It's like, if he's doing that, how is he eating huge volumes of food like that to stretch his stomach and not gaining weight?
Speaker 1: Well, this one's I think some training goes into the Yeah, like I just loved to it. I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just curious of like what he's eating to stretch his stomach. That's not he's not taking in calories like it's it's just it's like really interesting to me. I'm very curious about it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it works out because they also can't throw up or they get disqualified.
Speaker 3: No, it's not working out. Like if if like I don't know if I'm being clear of what I'm trying to say, if he was trying to let's say he was eating sixty hot dogs a day to stretch his stomach out to mimic what he was going to do for the contest, Like he would get fat as hell, Like it doesn't matter if he worked out or not. Like you're consuming I can't even imagine how many calories are in one hot dog, let alone. It's just a lot. So he has to be ingesting something else that's that's doing that. It just would not be possible. I mean, isn't it isn't a hot dog like three, three or four hundred calories with the bun so I mean times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, yeah, there's take it.
Speaker 3: It's so many calories. Like, there's just no way that he wouldn't be getting huge unless he was doing something else. That's why I'm just really maybe. I mean in theory, I guess you could drink like large volumes of water to stretch it, but then you risk overhydrated. I don't know. It's really interesting. Let's look into put that on the list. Let's look into that, because now I'm not gonna I'm not gonna let that go. I am curious.
Speaker 1: Well, he's no amateur. This is his seventeenth victory.
Speaker 3: Maybe they could interview him in as I'm just so curious, Okay, I actually think he got banned and they let him back in this year. Why would they ban them.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the logistics of what happened.
Speaker 1: I just remember there was like an incident, and then I think they let him back in and then he won again. All right, let's we went to this last story. A space capsule which was carrying the ashes of one hundred and sixty six people crashed into Pacific Ocean after its launch, and now all the remains that were in it have been lost at sea.
Speaker 3: This is probably aside from obviously the flooding story, this is like the most outrageous story that we have. At first, I was kind of like, whatever, let me read this. But so there's a company that you could pay to send your dead loved ones cremated remains to space so they could experience going to space.
Speaker 1: But they don't live in space. This is why I think it's idiotic, Like they were intended to go up there, orbit the Earth.
Speaker 3: And then come back. Yeah, but what went wrong in freaking ashes? Like that's not your loved one? Like why would you ever pay a company to do this. This is so outrageous.
Speaker 1: It's stupid, and like, yeah, because I I'm thinking, okay, if you want to like spread their ashes in space, do whatever you want, right, But like they're not getting They're not like going up there and being dispersed into space. They're going around the Earth twice and then coming back. So you could keep them. But what went wrong in this case was they lost communication with the capsule when it was returning, it crashed into the Pacific Ocean and then I'm assuming the thing like popped open and all the remains got scattered at sea. So now the company can't retrieve their remains and they're effectively lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're just like, well, I mean, I know this isn't the outcome you wanted, but you should think of it as being like that you were scattered at sea. It's a very respectful way. Millions of people do it. So so I'm looking at this, this comment from the company, and my first thought is like, oh shit, you know what, like people are paying to do this. Actually, so are these people getting their money back? But like now I'm curious, like how much does this cost? Wait till you hear this shit. It is so outrageous. So you could choose how much of your family member you would like to send, So it could go anywhere from one gram of their ashes to seven grams. Okay, and according to what size you pick and what kind of flight that you want to do. So, as Maria was saying, this one orbited the Earth two times, they also the cheapest one that you can do is one that goes to space and then goes right back to Earth. The second is the one we just talked about, the one that orbits Earth twice. Then there's another option you could pick launch to the lunar orbit or surface, and the most expensive one is being launched into deep space. Now, depending on what what flight you choose, what flight you choose, and how much of your family member you want to send. I mean one gram is like, it's just outrageous. Anyway, you you're not gonna believe this. So it could range anywhere from depending on how many grams they picked for this particular flight, it could range anywhere from five thousand dollars to twenty one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: What, Yes, this is such a waste of money. Are thinking it's so much money?
Speaker 3: So if I did, let's say pop Pop is a good example. He would totally love to go to space. Like when he dies, he will get when he dies, we'll get his ashes. One gram we'll send and we'll do this this particular flight, it would cost us five thousand dollars, but if we wanted to send seven grams, it would cost us twenty one thousand dollars. So I did the math of one hundred and sixty six people, which means that they made anywhere between eight hundred and thirty thousand dollars to three point four million dollars. Okay, but like where it's out, it's like out of control, and obviously, like to put a capsule up into space probably costs a shit a ton of money.
Speaker 2: That's what I was just gonna say.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure there was I'm sure that it's putting other things up there, and these little capsules, because even as seven gram capsule is so small, it would all fit in like a little ups box. Like there's other things, payloads that are going up there as well. I'm sure it's not just specifically for this. So I just think it's it's mine to me that a company is I feel like it's gross and that they're preying on people that lost loved ones. When you're sending up something that it's just like the silliest thing I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 1: I would understand more if the ashes were getting released into space, not going around the Earth for a scenic view and then coming back.
Speaker 3: It's as if they could even see what was happening like it. It just sounds so outrageous to me. How does anybody get peace with that? And at that price tag? I don't know, is that just like people that just have literally nothing to do with their money, Like this is the most excessive waste I've ever heard in my life. I would like to hear from somebody that's done it and they're reasoning for doing it, because it really just doesn't make any sense. I don't know if anyone that's listening to our show has done something like this.
Speaker 1: You don't know, somebody out there might know someone that did it.
Speaker 3: It's I just can't I just couldn't believe it. And that like the most expensive flight, I just like, I can't even imagine that people are doing that, Like the seven grams for the one that goes that launches into deep space is freaking almost forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's so I just I was like reading this and I'm like, is this serious. So I'm reading the website and it said the company is called Celestius, and it's like they've been around for twenty years, has assisted people from all over the world to celebrate, honor and remember lives dedicated to exploration, adventure, passion, and human presence among the stars. It's called a memorial spaceflight. This would be as stupid as sending ashes on the Titan submersible so your ashes could get a glimpse of the ten it is. It's just like, come back up exactly. I'm paying like five to forty thousand dollars to do it.
Speaker 2: This is outrageous.
Speaker 3: And it's like it's like a capsule, like it's a pill. It's just so it's just so crazy to me. Anyway, Yeah, I can't believe that I've never heard of this. Actually, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: At secretly changing your will to be like I want my ashes to go to space.
Speaker 3: No, I would just be so I don't even care if you had five billion dollars. This is just it's so wasteful. I just it just actually annoys the shit out of me. All right, let's move on to Questions of the Day. Every Friday at the at Mother Knows Death Instagram account, you guys could head over to our story and.
Speaker 2: Ask us whatever you want. First.
Speaker 1: If someone is brain dead and donating their organs, when are they pronounced dead and the oar after the first organ is taken out or beforehand, like before their honor walk.
Speaker 3: So I don't know the answer to this, because I've never pronounced anyone dead, but I do know that when you're legally brain dead, you're considered that's illegal death, and that's when you should be This is how it should be done, that you should be pronounced dead when you're legally declared brain dead. They have to if, for example, if they're harvesting organs for a person. So sometimes a person like let's say, for example, they get in a motorcycle accident and they have a fatal injury, but they're twenty five years old and their organs are perfectly healthy, but they're just like they're brain dead. They're they're certified to be brain dead at that time, they should off they should pronounce the death and offer a death certificate. But the person would still be kept alive technically alive on machines, meaning you're going to feel their body. They're still going to feel warm, it's still going to look like they're breathing and their heart is still beating. But they're dead. They're just keeping the organs perfused you would say, or filled with oxygenated blood to keep them alive to harvest them. But when the person is declared legally brain dead, they're dead. They can't if they get the organs harvests, they don't feel it. They're not going to wake up. This is the ultimate test to say, okay, somebody is definitely dead. So even if this is a good example, So let's talk about the woman we were talking about in Georgia who had that fatal Would she have a stroke I believe, and she was pregnant. Remember they kept her alive for a couple months because she was pregnant. Technically, she should have been pronounced dead on the day that they declared her brain dead, because that would have been the day that they would have removed her from the from whatever assistance she was having to breathe and everything. But they usually don't wait until that happens. But I don't one percent know, because I know that there's definitely rules for all sorts of things when people die and how death certificate should be filled out and stuff, and I also know that people never do follow the rules. I've worked at different hospitals and and interned at different home hospitals throughout my career, my education, and I've just seen lots of different hospitals doing things different ways that aren't really what you're supposed to do. So so I hope that helps that. I'm not sure all right too.
Speaker 1: Was it harder being pregnant as a teen or in your thirties or was it the same. I think like being pregnant as a teen socially was harder, but physically no, it was it was like nothing I felt. I wasn't sick at all.
Speaker 3: I felt good, you know, I had Maria. I went back to wearing my normal jeans like a couple of days later, it was it was like uneventful, no medical drama. I mean it was it was kind of good physically, but I mean the next time that I was pregnant, what was.
Speaker 1: I thirty three, thirty three or thirty.
Speaker 3: Four, I was like, yeah, I was. It was probably it was probably right before I turned thirty four, so or no, no, Ripe, so thirty three, Yeah, because seven you were.
Speaker 1: You got pregnant in twenty twelve, so you would have you were thirty two turning thirty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean I was just which is still I mean, it's not old, but it's old for you know, having a baby, and that one was that was definitely way harder than before. For sure.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy you were only thirty two because I'm sitting here like thinking you're.
Speaker 2: Like forty five.
Speaker 1: Like mentally, when I was a teenager and he told me you were pregnant with Lillian, I was like, you were so old, right because.
Speaker 2: You were so young when you had me.
Speaker 1: But now I'm going to be thirty one this year, which is crazy to think about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like I want it's not I remember when I had Lucia. Because I had Lucia like a year and a half day after I had Lilian, and then I was thirty four when I got pregnant, but I was going to be thirty five when I had her, so they considered me to be advanced maternal age, and I got all the extra treatment. Plus I had all those issues with you know, the hospital almost letting me die and such after I had Lilian, so that worked out well. But yeah, I mean, like when I was pregnant with Maria, Maria, I didn't have any morning I never really had morning sickness with any of the kids. But I didn't have hypertension I had like, I didn't get swollen, nothing. There was just like no drama. Dan't gain weight. Lilian, on the other hand, was like eighty pounds later. Well, I would say, even though I gained eighty pounds with Lilian towards the end, I really think that, like because I swear a week after I had her and I weighed myself, I had lost forty five pounds already, like and that wasn't just the baby, Like I had so much fluid in my body, Like remember how big my feet were. I couldn't even wear shoes. It was just terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure that was like shocking too, considering hell, first time around, it was pretty seamless for you, and then second time you were sick, and yeah.
Speaker 2: It just was.
Speaker 3: It was, it was a lot different.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I don't know why it's so funny when I was eighteen, you just seem so much older when you had her, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm that age now.
Speaker 1: It seems so ridiculous to have thought that. All right, three, would you rather be lost in space or at sea?
Speaker 2: Going back to the earlier question.
Speaker 3: This is a good question for all the dead people that just it's like, well, they wanted to be a bit of space. Yeah, they got a little bit of both. I hope. So getting back to that, actually, I hope I hope those people are getting a refund.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the remains were lost and they're supposed to come back.
Speaker 3: And honestly, I think this is lawsuit worthy. The service was not completed, so it was not only not completed, but now they don't get it back. And then they tried to say they hope they could be satisfied with their burial at sea, Like I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You didn't prefer they had.
Speaker 3: To sign, they had to sign some kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably all right, But what's your answer is.
Speaker 2: For sure? All right?
Speaker 1: So I think I have different scenarios. If I'm in the vessel, I'm if I'm lost in the vessel, I would say at sea because there is a chance you could be rescued, right, I mean, I guess you could in space theoretically too, if.
Speaker 2: You think of the bowing astronauts. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'd feel more comfortable getting lost in the vessel at sea. But if it was like my body, I think I'd prefer space because you're gonna die immediately being in space. But if you're lost in the ocean, as we see in some cases, you could be alive for a while just treading water, and then you have animals and the heat, and then you could drown eventually, So that doesn't seem fun at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you might stumble across the little island that you could live on.
Speaker 1: That it just seems like such a rare chase.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's funny because I'm like, ah, well, we just selled all the way to Bermuda for a day and a half. I didn't see one little piece of land, not even a rock sticking up out of the water.
Speaker 2: You know how ridiculous this was.
Speaker 1: I saw the new Jurassic Park yesterday and there's like a dinosaur sized whale like figure in the water that knocks a boat over and it just gave me such a different level of anxiety for something that's completely like fabricated and fictional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we didn't even see like I saw a dolphin like once. There's like nothing there.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, what if a whale like hits a cruise ship.
Speaker 3: It's not going to do anything a cruise ships so big?
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: It was what the iceberg did the Titanic.
Speaker 3: That's because it was like a huge rock underground and it hit it directly. All right.
Speaker 2: Now that everybody thinks we're dumb.
Speaker 1: From up there, that's it didn't just happened today, by the way, No, everybody always thanks for dem okay. Please head over to Affler Spotify and leave us a review and subscribe to our YouTube channel. And if you have a story for us, please submit it to stories at motheranosdeth dot com.
Speaker 3: We will see you guys.
Speaker 1: In Atlanta in just a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Ciya, thank you for listening to Mother Knows Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist's assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor and I have not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day, and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room, or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts. Thanks