Speaker 1: Trying to get we need to speak here. Fine, that's fine, La booboos and tyranny.
Speaker 2: Let's get into let's get into it. I'm Theosa and I'm Mala. Well, there's much to discuss, because not much has changed since we recorded last week. I said, we are still covering it, but today we want to talk specifically about censorship, freedom of the press, and the current crisis and fears that we have as two women, two Latinas who are at this intersection that I think is very unique to our show where we're not a newsroom. This is not hard journalism, but there is a type of journalistic integrity in the way we produce our show, and we're going to talk about all of that today.
Speaker 1: And there is an expectation from our audience that when big important things happen in the world, that we cover those big important things, that we talk about them, we provide our analysis, and over the years we've responded in person and on the ground to cover events and happenings in our community. And that's true today and with everything that's been going on this past week in LA. By the time this episode comes out, it will have been two weeks into the ice raids, the deployment of the National Guard and Marines in Los Angeles, and the demonstrations and rallies that the community has put together in response to those violent ice raids, daily kidnappings essentially of community members on the street in different parts of LA City and LA County. Ice raids at the workplaces of our community members, at schools, at graduations, inside of people's homes. It seems like the city is under siege, and it very much is.
Speaker 2: If there was ever a time to really call it what it is, it's now. We have descended into fascism, into tyranny. And I think that there has been this expectation or this hope and maybe even a little arrogance, as is American exceptionalism, but that this could not happen here, right. But I think what we're seeing and what we've been seeing in the last days since the ice raids began, is that it's here. And if there was a moment you were waiting for to really define it, I think that this is the moment, and there have been other things leading up to it, but I think feeling it here in La it's like, oh, it's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not. Oh, martial law is coming. Martial law has happened. We're in it. I mean the Los Angeles is there's a military takeover of Los Angeles and as of this recording, there is a curfew in downtown LA that was instituted Tuesday night eight pm to six am. What was interesting about the curfew interesting not being the right word. What was terrifying about the curfew is that it was implemented. I didn't get the alert on my phone until like past ten ten o'clock. It was very poorly rolled out at the last minute. And one of the statements from Mayor Bass on local news was that if you live downtown, if you work downtown, if you have business downtown, you're fine. However, the lapd Ice, the National Guard, the Marines, the military presence downtown, it doesn't seem like they're checking people's reasons for being downtown. They're just shooting at people with rubber bullets who are trying to get home and detaining people whether or not they live downtown, and they're not checking, they're not asking what's going on here with the raids and with the curfew. They're acting first and then asking questions later. So even if you have your paperwork, even if you have a valid reason, it doesn't seem to matter. And that's part of what makes this whole situation so frightening, is that we're engaged in this game that has no rules. You can't follow rules that don't exist, and so then that means that everybody is at risk of being targeted and being accused of breaking the rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's what makes these specific ICE raids in LA. I mean to be clear, this is not the first time there have been deportations in this country or during the past administration there were also deportations, right, but I think the way LA feels like seized, like you said, and it feels like it doesn't matter anymore. There is no law in order because there are unmarked vehicles massed suppose it ICE agents, and they're just taking people. They're not reviewing paperwork. It doesn't matter if you're a citizen. And clearly if you fit the profile of and we know what the profile is, if you're brown, if you look other, then you fit the bill for them. And so I think that is also part of the terror, and that's a very important and crucial part of tyranny and fascism. It's making everyone feel so afraid to be out in the street to say anything, to protest, to exercise their First Amendment constitutional right of the press, of free speech. And that's like the current moment we're living in.
Speaker 1: It's the current moment that we're living in. And once they've detained you, you've been detained and you've been you're being processed.
Speaker 2: President David Auerta of SEIU is potentially facing six years in prison and the charges are strange. He was filming, he was protesting, not even protesting, he was peacefully resisting and filming, and he could potentially face six years. And the hope that is that that does not happen. But if someone like David Wuerta, our labor president of SCIU, is facing charges, if our Senator Alex Badea is being physically forcefully removed from a press conference for asking a question asking a question and there's video of him identifying himself, then what does that tell us?
Speaker 1: There is no there is no rule of law, and where have our constitutional rights and protections gone, namely freedom of assembly and freedom of the press. Because in the midst of the rallies, the demonstrations, we are seeing LAPD and ICE agents very brutally tear gassing and pepper ball spring demonstrators and protesters. On Wednesday night, I was seeing reports that the protests that started in Pershing Square and moved over to Grand Park an hour and a half before the eight pm curfew, police started to kettle people, gas people, and detain people, and in some instances in front of City Hall in the Grand Park area, they held demonstrators until the curfew and then arrested everybody. So we're in a situation where our constitutional rights are very much being trampled on in real time and on camera. And I'm very grateful to all of the demonstrators who are posting to TikTok into reels as things are happening, or we would have no way of knowing what's actually going on on the ground. And publications like La Taco, they've had their journalists out on the ground every day for the past week covering the protests and for the most part, really focusing on the abuses that law enforcement and whatever military presence is enacting on our civilian, unarmed civilian population. So it's a very scary time, and at the same time, we want to connect history to the current moment because this is not isolated. History does repeat itself, and as people who make media, we're very concerned about the way that journalists are being treated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not to be super nerdy, but I'm gonna be nerdy. I'm reading this book right now called on Tyranny, and there is this saying history repeats itself. And Timothy Snyder, the author of this book, first line, history does not repeat, but it doesn't struct and so he is it's this short read and it's this breakdown of how we can learn from history and how we can do things differently and not allow it to repeat itself. And so with that in mind, there's these historical moments that we can learn from and call upon and use them to instruct us on how to fight back or how to resist and whatever that looks like for the individual right, whether that be doing mutual aid, whether that be making podcasts, making art, right, taking care of their family members and their community, or taking to the streets. Don't go anywhere, look amotives.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, and we're back with more of our episode. We want to talk about freedom of press because we see that very much under attack this past week and on video on camera very clearly journalists being targeted by law enforcement, being shot with rubber bullets, for example. And maybe at this point you all listening have seen these clips online because they've been circulating. An Australian journalist, Lauren Tomasi of News nine Australia was shot with a rubber bullet. I saw the footage and in this footage, the journalist is speaking to can is standing quite a distance away from law enforcement who are behind her in this footage, and they are lined up facing protesters. As Lauren Tomasi is reporting on the events, you can clearly see behind her an officer take his rifle, turn, look straight at her, point at her and shoot her with a rubber bullet, completely unprovoked. She wasn't anywhere near him, she wasn't talking to him.
Speaker 2: She was doing a stand up, she was reporting.
Speaker 1: And you see this this cop just very intentionally and purposefully turn and aim his rifle at her and shoot her. And she's not the only one. I saw another clip of the protest had taken to the freeway and there's law enforcement down on the freeway right across the lanes and there's a journalist up top on the street level right above above the freeway. So this journalist is very very far away from the law enforcement, and this journalist is reporting again to camera and again in the back of this video you can see the law enforcement way down there on the freeway spot the journalist turn aim his rifle up directly at the journalist and shoot this journalist with a rubber bullet. That is very scary.
Speaker 2: It's scary. And these are supposed supposedly non lethal project dials, but they can cause serious harm. And this is not the first time that they've been used on civilians and on journalists. Even during this there was a British journalist, Nick Stern, who was hid in the leg with a projectile while he was covering the demonstrations in Paramount, and his injury was a two inch hole in his leg that required emergency surgery to remove the forty millimeter projectile. And this was allegedly fired by La County Sheriff's deputy. And so there's so many instances, not only during this current moment, but even in past moments, so much so that La Press Club Journalists Right advocate Adam Rose started compiling data after the twenty twenty uprisings. He says to news publication cal Matters that there has been a long history of problematic dynamics between police and the press in LA. There's other examples like the two thousand and seven may date melee and going even further back, right, and so this is not something new, but I think we are seeing it in more direct, vicious and just straight up out there ways. Now it's being documented by either the journalists themselves and their like camera equipment or by like civilian journalist mobile journalists on their phone, and it's now on social media.
Speaker 1: And I've seen also footage of like journalists being detained and removed from the protest and told you have to leave and if you come back, we will arrest you. In nineteen seventy on the Chicano Moratorium against the Vietnam War, LA Times journalist Ruben Salasad was killed by LAPD officers while covering the Chicano Moratorium, and notably, Ruben Salazar was one of the first journalists ever to dedicate coverage to the Chicano and Mexican American communities. And so LA as much as we love it and we've had we've had our own beautiful times here. It is a historically oppressive place and with the LAPD, specifically our communities of color have had big time issues. Now we're adding the addition of the National Guard, ICE and the Marines. And I was watching local news. I think it was KTLA that I was watching on Tuesday night when the curfew was implemented and down intown LA. And what the reporters, the on broadcast news we're talking about is that in the past, when LA has responded to oppression with protests, that our protests in LA we outnumber the police. Today now that is completely changed, that is no longer true. According to our local news broadcast, civilian demonstrators are outnumbered by law enforcement six to one. So we have never been in this situation before. We've never been in this situation before. And there seems to be no due process. There seems to be no again, there's there's no there's no rules to this game. There's no playing fair. Not that it was fair before, but now even more so. I mean, I'm seeing footage in front of city Hall, and you can see city Hall, you can see City Hall in Grand Park, and police on horses is trampling protesters. I mean it's bad. So we wanted to do a little refresh for our audience and for ourselves to talk about why does it matter so much that press be able to document and cover and report on civil issues and rallies and demonstrations. Why does it matter? Well, let's read a little something from the National Archives. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. And so what we have here is a situation where the only way right now that we can redress our grievances with the government is by coming out in person and taking to the streets and demonstrating. In a time where the houses were republican, the Senate is republican, the Supreme Court is republican, and our democratic leadership is not able to vote things through. We can't vote things through. Nothing is getting passed. What other recourse do we have as a people then going out and demonstrating and protesting.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, Look, amos, We'll be right.
Speaker 1: Back and we're back with more of our episode.
Speaker 2: According to an LA Times report, in a late night order on Thursday, June twelfth, the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals paused a court order that would have required President Trump to return control of the thousands of California National Guard troops in LA to Governor Gavin Newsom. So all of this is still ongoing and on hold. The hope is that Governor Gavin Newsom and his team have all the tricks up their sleeves and are gonna try to I think, regain control of California. Yeah, but of course that's not going to be without resistance from the federal administration.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. And it's like we've spent so much money, so much money, building prisons, beefing up law enforcement, billions of dollars towards police departments all over. But those police departments and the LAPD are not our friends, right, They're not gonna like help us to defend California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I've been thinking, this is not a Marvel movie. No, Like you know, there was a someone commented on one of our posts like kind of missing the point about our clip about Latinos who are ice agents. And LAPD officers, and she was like, now, Dot, this is not do not go common anything to her, but this is She said something like yeah, and that's why we need to remember that we shouldn't like be mean to them, and we shouldn't like spit on them because there are Latino brothers and Theos and Purimos and this and this and that. And I'm like, this is not a Marvel movie, this is not cop Ganda. This is real life. And they're terrorizing our community, whether the en they're a part of our community, if they're LAPD even worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those Latino cops are not treating Latino protesters or undocumented Latin Americans with kindness or with more humanity because you know, we share a last name. It doesn't mean anything to them. They don't care. They don't care at all, and they will brutalize just as much as the next cop. And it's it's it's so wild to witness all these years of the copaganda and where it's gotten us.
Speaker 2: Now. Yeah, when my brother, just like aside anecdote in the nineties, my brother was driving home from work and he was pulled over and he was detained for having tinted windows. He was sent to the Twin Towers.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And he says, the cop that pulled me over was Latino. And I was looking at him like, come on, dude, like don't do this. Like I'm going home to my kid right now. Yeah, my brother spent the night at twin hours for having tinted windows.
Speaker 1: That's nuts. And that cop did not have to do that. No, that was a choice. And I think what's happening now as well, with people getting kidnapped and arrested and detained. They're meeting quotas. They're still meeting quotas. This is all quota based. They just want bodies, they want numbers, and they're being very indiscriminate.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is why even if you're a citizen or you quote did it the right way, they do not care. I don't care. If they cared, they wouldn't be arresting folks at their appointments in court. They're detaining folks there that are going for their immigration appointments. Mm hmm. It doesn't matter to them.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter to them. And so keeping in mind that the goalposts will continue to move and continue to shift, and at some point they're going to start detaining people who disagree with them. They are already detaining people who were born here who have a quote birthright citizenship. If you think that you're exempt, you're probably not. If things get worse and worse and worse and worse, it's going to look like the Red Scare where people were giving up names of other people who were alleged communist sympathizers. And that word sympathizers, by the way, what does that even mean, Oh, your neighbor was an alleged communist? You think maybe somebody said something that made it seem like maybe they were sympathetic. It's vague intentionally. And today if like that judge who got arrested for allegedly helping an undocumented man like escape through her courtroom. I was watching footage of that, and they show this judge speaking to ICE agents while the undocumented man in question left the courthouse with his attorney. They weren't running, they weren't sneaking. They just walked out of an exit. And the way that they're talking about this judge is, Oh, this judge is distracting, distracting ICE agents to help this undocumented person escape through a side room, a side door, you know, like it could be any little thing, Yeah, that can be twisted into you are fomenting revolution, You're an enemy of the state, you're aiding in abetting criminals. And so that means that like you maybe are a business owner, maybe you're a white American who voted for Donald Trump, and maybe you have employees who are immigrants, regardless of their status, and maybe now you're having a change of heart about your vote because your employees are being taken from you, and maybe now you want to go petition and say something to your government. Are you an enemy of the state now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Are you a turncoat?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: This is the type of stuff that we're looking at down the line. So it's authoritarianism, yes, yeah, And I think you know I've been I picked up this book on Tyranny.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bring it up again because after the inauguration, I was like, Okay, project twenty twenty five is it's going to be in full effect? You know, this is not what we voted for, but people did and let me learn, let me learn something right. And so I picked up this book and it's like twenty it's titled on Tyranny twenty lessons from the twentieth century and some of the things I wanted to just quickly bring on for the show a couple of them that I thought were really important, and please pick up the book for yourself. But it's like, first one, do not obey in advance. Right, what we're letting them do now is what they're testing the limits now institutions and institutions meaning your local public radio, your local newspaper, your library, Like, defend the institutions that are protecting knowledge, that are telling stories, that are gatekeepers of information, contribute to good causes, whether that be an immigrant rights organization, a mutual aid, a GoFundMe for legal resources. And this one I thought was really important. Listen for dangerous words. So the words like terrorists, right, we're seeing that with Los Angeles. It's a war zone. LA is a war zone right now. And so they're using our federal government and our president is using that type of language so that we can and we as the general population, not just in LA but beyond. But they're using that to for us to surrender on our own freedom right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to criminalize civilian, unarmed civilian protesters and demonstrators. It's not a war when only one side has guns and weapons, a war on us.
Speaker 2: Yes, And this quote from the book is this, people who assure you that you can only gain security at the price of liberty usually want to deny you both. And I think that that is a really important lesson that we need to keep in mind, is that this is all intentional and they're testing how far they can go. Who's willing to like turn on each other, and what else can they do? What can happen next? And finally, and I'll stop talking about the book, but finally I thought this really this really important thing because I don't don't want to continue to like for us to be afraid. It's scary times, right, But also lesson from this book it's be calm when the unthinkable arrives. So it is part of this like identify it, Identify what's happening right now. Don't think that it can't happen here, because it's happening here, and get yourself ready. Yeah, and you think, you know, you think about back in history, and you think about what happened in the nineteen thirty in Europe and other countries, and you think like, well, what would I do you know, would I keep my neighbor safe. You know, when I think this, we're being tested right now, like the what are we going to do now?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, be very careful out there and stay informed. So of course there's legacy news like the La Times. We've mentioned La Taco, La Public Press and Delon, the National Day Labors Organizing Network Chiir La Garsen, and you're going to see a lot of rallies and demonstrations and protests being organized. I think it's important for us to consider who is organizing the rally or the protest and to what end, what are the aims, what are the goals? Are these people who have a history of organizing for a social cause, for a social good? Are these opportunities for photo ops or are these k agents who are like creating chaotic situations? Because those things also happen, and it's not always a good faith attempt to gather a ton of people in one place, and we have to be careful about that as well. So do your research before you put your body and yourself out there in harm's way. Be safe. Check out the organizations we just mentioned because they are also hosting fundraisers to aid immigrants in detention to provide legal support and other resources. And if you are looking for a way to contribute, we recommend doing some research into the organizations that have a track record of working on these issues in an organized, ethical way.
Speaker 2: I encourage you to consider how you're going to show up in this moment. Like we mentioned in previous episodes, not everyone can join a protest for a variety of reasons. So consider how you're showing up in this moment. Is it driving by to verify ice agents or at a certain location. We see sometimes fear mongering and sometimes good intentions. We think that ice is in a certain location, turns out they're not there. So consider is that how you're showing up? Are also local businesses that are being heavily hit right now because one people are not going out, They're not showing up because they're afraid. How then does our local economy suffer and intern our community? So consider are you going hard and supporting your local Latino businesses at this moment? Are you buying from street vendors? Are you doing buyouts? Consider that there's so many ways to show up in this moment, and that it is a marathon, not a sprint. We are in this for the long haul, and let's not police how each of us show up, because we all have different gifts and different ways that we show up in this moment and in this movement. So I hope you take care, hydrate, try to sleep, check in with your friends, your family or community, and we will catch you next time. Lok A Radio is executive produced by Viosa Fem and Mala Munjos.
Speaker 1: Stephanie Franco is our producer.
Speaker 2: Story editing by Me diosa.
Speaker 1: Creative direction by me Mala.
Speaker 2: Look At Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michael Dura podcast Network.
Speaker 1: You can listen to lok At Radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirl.
Speaker 1: And thank you to our local morees, to our listeners for tuning in each and every week.
Speaker 2: Besitos is Malasa look At Radio