Speaker 1: In today's episode of The Command Center Podcast, we are previewing the Giants. Are they really as bad as their one in five records? I don't think so. I love that we're gonna preview the offense and defense. Tanna never fall for the banana and the tailpipe, right, don't do it. They got some talented people on this team. We gotta be careful. And you can't eat a tomato without teeth.
Speaker 2: You can't, dummy.
Speaker 1: And Fred, this is maybe my favorite moment of this show. You get caught in a giant line. Check it out in the other.
Speaker 3: And never believe it.
Speaker 1: Welcome into the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smoot, who's wearing the same shirt from last episode.
Speaker 2: That's tough, thank you, that's tough.
Speaker 1: And then Santana Moss always impeccably dressed.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you live like Owen Wilson.
Speaker 1: I do. Thank you. Was like a handsome guy, right, I'll take it. I mean he's got crooked nose, but that's crooked nose. Guys gotta stick to Yeah, I understand it. You can't all be devilishly hands I'm like, that's.
Speaker 2: Who you should be for Halloween. Wow, he's just you've.
Speaker 1: Been watching love Yeah, all right, so guys Giants this week? Yes, all right, man, did you just start off with a start to show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't help itself.
Speaker 4: So many but so many years I've here in this side of me. Man, it just comes out.
Speaker 1: Of this show.
Speaker 5: And we hate the Giants. Man, we just can't beat them. It's something about the Giants. I couldn't beat him with straight hand and OC and we can't beat them now. It's it's sickening into my stomach when the team has your number.
Speaker 3: I show this with my brother.
Speaker 4: My brother played with the Giants, he played on the Super Bowl team, and I told him, I say, bro, you know, it's so crazy.
Speaker 3: The year we finally beat you out twice.
Speaker 1: That's the year.
Speaker 3: Like, it's just crazy. How crazy is that? Like the Giants has always been a tough team.
Speaker 4: Like we talked more about the Cowboys when we get ready, you know, match up against them, you might you know, talk a little bit about the Eagles. The Eagles always tough to but the Giants that seemed like those guys just to be like, come on over here, we want washing it saying that guy in the neighborhood that you say, I ain't going on that block.
Speaker 3: Always that dude always funking.
Speaker 1: Me on it. It's weird because everybody else seems to be able to mess them up, but they kind of got your.
Speaker 2: They destroy us.
Speaker 3: I'm matter what happens the game we have every now and then it just happened.
Speaker 1: We all. I guess matchups make fights. So let's talk about this real quick, high level thoughts, right Why because they were pretty good last year, went to the playoffs, obviously, why are they so bad this year?
Speaker 2: Office Blade?
Speaker 5: Oh, they can't block your grandmother. Your grandmama could spin move off of the him and swim them to Neil. Like they all talk about us about not putting a draft capitol into the officive line. They put great draft capital into the offensive line, only to find.
Speaker 2: Out they stink.
Speaker 5: Not only do they stink, they can't protect Jones even for three seconds.
Speaker 2: They're not making big holes for sake.
Speaker 4: Kawon Barkley they see because shockingly is better than people.
Speaker 2: Think they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but think you can't there's no production from that.
Speaker 4: You can't blocking them by I saw a stat that day, was watching the game, and they had they was showing the office of starting guys and like you know behind, you know, not behind, but right up under every starting guy. They showed like okay, five touchdowns this and that, you know, twenty something starts. This is what they said for their officer line.
Speaker 3: It tripped me. I had to I always had to take a picture of it, write it down.
Speaker 4: It said, it went name by name, Justin Pugh first game since twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it said Joshua.
Speaker 4: E Zu from North Carolina tied for second with five sacks giving up this year, being uh Retison one sat giving up this year. And then the other guy, Mark Glawinsky, I'm gonna mess somebody time, tied for second with five sacks giving up. And then you had your guy Nevin he had twenty six pressures. I think he's tied for first. A second, like, I was looking at that, like, bro, what type of what tad stat line is that for your start officer line? So you asked the question about you know, what is their problem is?
Speaker 3: It's the officer line.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a I mean it's glarings sitting there right in front of your face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think also like last year, people look at them and they say, oh, you know they were ten win team, nine win teams something like that.
Speaker 2: They won those game by one.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying. They were in a whole bunch of one score games, and analytically like that's one of the biggest statistics to regress the Minnesota Vikings because they said the.
Speaker 5: Two teams that had their state line. I think this year because them games.
Speaker 3: We know they were lucky.
Speaker 2: It was all about it.
Speaker 4: And then I can say this also, you got to think last year we saw the uh, the re emergence of Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 3: This year, what happened a lot of these games that they've.
Speaker 4: Been losing early he has been running in rushing and then last the couple nights ago when he came back into the lineup, you saw the offense move a little better again. Because I think it's all about Sakaron Barkley. And that's why say Kauanasad are trying to get his money because he knew you went and gave you would and gave his quarterback the money. But sat Quanders were the guy who's really kind of running. He's the leader of that ship. He makes that boat go. So I feel like you know what company you got, do not pay a guy by the name of Daniel Jones. That's what I'm telling at the other day. That set Taylor is right.
Speaker 2: That offense ticks through sad.
Speaker 1: Okay, time out, let's talk about this. Let's le's let's pin down on this for a second. So last year, in terms of their offensive production, the offense went through Daniel Jones.
Speaker 4: It did, but it was bit because Daniel Jones miraculously found ways to and not lose a game. Like you saw a big jump from Daniel Jones from years prior, because he was doing one thing better than everything. He he was basically making the right decision.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna throw the ball into the other team's hand, and I'm an.
Speaker 4: Run athletic ability that that year, last year, more than any year, he shows you that. Man, guess what, I'm a better runner than these people give me, So let me go out here and do this. He extended drives with his legs and made sure he didn't get the ball away.
Speaker 3: And that's why they want.
Speaker 4: They was in games and had those chances to win those one and two or three point games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're They're pretty bad in every offensive Statistico category except for explosive runs. Their eighteenth in the NFL, which isn't great, but over half of those runs are Daniel Jones scrambles or zone reads. So I do think that even though Sa Kwan and some of these other guys get the headline like it to your point ten, I think that's a really good nuanced take there. It's it's when he's making good decisions, he is the offense because physically he's got the arm, he got the athleticism to kind of elevate that group. But man, I hate to like harp on and beat a dead horse, Like there are games where you're watching the film and they cannot do anything. They cannot do anything offensively because anytime they drop back to pass, anytime they're in a third and anything like third and seven.
Speaker 4: He reminded me of back when I was with the Jets and Patrick Ramsey was a start at here with the It could be when I say it's a difference between Sam Howell getting sacked and Patrick Ramsey getting sacked.
Speaker 3: Yes, Patrick Ramsey used to.
Speaker 4: Drop back and Cooch Ferris in that film comes. I mean he was like by and he was taking those hits like those hits like, man, you don't hit my son like that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's a difference, And I think that's what I saw with you know, Daniel Jones. He was getting he was taking so many of those hits those previous years to where he was shell shocked a lot, you know, a lot of those games where he played and he was getting sacked. He was almost getting self sacked because he was shell shocked. It was sales shocked from years before. So I look at I look at Patrick Ramsey going through that, and I seen I saw that, you know, I saw that in Daniel Jones, and then last year it was a total different Daniel Jones.
Speaker 1: And just to double click on that for a second, Like there's a difference between Sam Howse sacks in the sense that Sam how like there's a pocket, Yeah, pockets like a pocket and Sam you know, I'd say, I'd say he getting.
Speaker 4: Tackled more than getting it, getting blown up his progressions and.
Speaker 1: Then he's and like there are times where it's true sacks as quick wins, but there's oftentimes where he's running in the pressure, he's trying to extend, like it's a young quarterbacks issue. When you watch the Giants to Tannis Point, they're one of those five guys is giving up a quick win, blowing like a quick win, and it's like everyone's on Daniel Jones for not being productive. But I'm kind of like, what is this man supposed to do? And like it's if the game, if the game flow gets out of whack at all, they have to pass at all, It's like, well just throw it out the window.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Like it's one of those things where I can't do my job because other people ain't doing their job. So but the quarterback takes the blunt of the blame for this. Like Daniel Jones to me, not a great quarterback, but he ain't no bad quarterator.
Speaker 1: He can do things with his feet.
Speaker 2: I'm just sorry, and he's not set up.
Speaker 4: And then I had to ask my iself, who would I rather face this week? Tyro Daniel Jones, Like I'm fighting with it. I think that I think, And we were talking about this before you got here, because you know you always late, thank you, so you know, Tyrod Taylor to me is a better quarterback and this is this for my opinion, I felt like when I watched him playing the game of the night. He got the ball precisely out of his hand quick enough, he was accurate, uh, he ran with the ball when he needed to. But he gave them opportunities at the opportunity to be in that game. But I also can give a lot of credit to just that stabo old team it was facing. You know, that team probably took on a different mantra that whole week. Knew everything about that team too, so they got a chance to play them differently. But when I watched, when I kind of compared the film of watching a couple of games with Daniel Jones, everything's jittery at times and at times he's accurate.
Speaker 3: At times he's throwing the ball over their heads.
Speaker 4: So I will say I give Tyrod Taylor a better might be a better athlete when it comes to just you know, total package. But Daniel Jones fixed what they do way way better than Tyrod Taylor. And he understands what we do good up front. And that's why he beats us because he say, let these guys fly feel I'm gonna take in the part scene and I'm gonna take off get ten yards, and he understands two critical downs when I have to get a first down. I'm not gonna sit here and read. I'm gonna take off because I see the lanes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But I also seen Darren Waller make some plays which I haven't seen this year, one.
Speaker 3: Or two of them.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let's hold let's hold on up for one second. So last question in this segment for the kind of the top end high value, So are they as bad as one in five?
Speaker 2: It don't matter. They're playing us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're playing us. I don't care what they record is. We ain't got over this hurdle of this mountain yet. We have to beat New York and we have to constantly beat New York. But like Tanna, say that we beat them twice, they go into the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just crazy, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I would say that they are they're they're not playing good football right now. And that's not to say that they.
Speaker 4: Can't circuit on that schedule right games. This is a team, right, let's get our step together this week.
Speaker 1: I'm with it all right, So let's talk a little bit more detailed about what they like to do. So what type of offense do they run? And then what type of defense can we inspect? So let's sat it on the offensive side of the football. What type offense do they run? And I guess I'll start here because like I was watching film earlier, so what I see is an offense. It's very similar last year, right, multiple tighten they want to live in like this multiple tight end set life. They want to move, They want to move the pocket right on these boot on these boots and keepers, which is what they did a great job last year. And it's not gonna be the same way that Atlanta did it. They're gonna have an extra blocker to block that defensive end. Get them out. You are having the field. But when your protection is so bad, like there needs to be a solution, Like they can't even they have a hard time with play action. Yeah, Like that's how bad this group is in terms of pass protection. So they have to get them out of the pocket. Sprints rolls. What I would say a huge priority for Jack is keep that son of a gun in there, Tyrod or Daniel Jones in front of you, state, keep him in, keep him in that tackle box, and be like, bro, you gotta beat us from in here, because we will, Like John Allen deron paint. We're gonna bring pressures, we're gonna look like and because it's gonna be tough. So that's offensively, it's a it's a West Coast offense. They want to kind of you know, spread your horizontally and then be very selective about when they want to take their shots vertically down the football field. And the problem again, I hate to beat a dead horse, but me, they can't get the ball down the field. They are thirty thirty second in passing yards in the NFL, thirty first and explosive air yard plays like they have a dude, they have a hard time getting that ball down the field because I mean, obviously they have explosive guys. You mentioned Slayton, They've got Wallert, They've got explosive weapons, and like all of their explosive plays near came in the Arizona game, you know what I mean, like when they had that big comeback. So when you look at it, because they cannot pass protect, the offense is like stagnant. It's moving or it's within ten yards of line of scrimmage, and outside of that it's rough. And they want to run the ball. But I don't care if I'm a safety and i don't have to worry about anything deep. I'm gonna stand right there at ten yard and when I'm coming down here, and when I see and get that ball, I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 2: Pro I'm hitting them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's what I think about the offense. And I think defensively, Fred, Yeah, you can game plan for that.
Speaker 2: I think the defense is better than then they getting props.
Speaker 1: So let's talk offense. I'm saying, commanders, defense, how would you game plan for that offense?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna actually play these guys. I know y'all don't want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm gonna play a man, and I'm going plus two on the rush I'm getting I want I want them to play from behind, and the only way I can make them play from behind is to get at them early. Now, my first hand plan get out them second hand playing play with the shape, but I'm going to attack them first. I want them always behind the chains. You just said it.
Speaker 4: They're not good and third and six plus I want to make sure they're not.
Speaker 5: Looking third and two in the face. And the only way I can do that iss all early and often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if I got Dan you Jones in there. He's coming coming back from being being being a little hamper. I might take that approach, But when I watched Tyrod Taylor and he's.
Speaker 1: A much better scrambled scrambler.
Speaker 4: They moved the pocket with him earlier in that game against Buffalo to where they had to change up what they was doing. They were trying to bring a guy here and there, and when he got outside that pocket, pink dame slating down the sideline being waller, you know what I mean, being what the guy name is the Hyatt?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, uh, little Robinson truth.
Speaker 4: So Tyrod Taylor in there, I'm I'm backing off of trying to bring too many people that took at the wrong times.
Speaker 3: He was finding the ways to get that ball to him.
Speaker 4: Now where they beat up Dang Jones kind of little getting back into the groove of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I might get him back. Share I want.
Speaker 4: I want to bring a guy to him, make him think, you know what I mean, But we also know he knows us.
Speaker 3: He's gonna try to run up out of there.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm blitching here. I'm blitting him to not give him any lanes. But Cody Barton showed you sending me downhill. I'm not good at catching, but I am good going.
Speaker 1: Down He that was that was a changing play style by Cody, to give him credit, but so to me, it's like, if you can stop the keeper game, the boots where he's getting out of the pocket, if you can stop that kind of stuff. Their offense, I don't want to say is toothless, but there's not a lot So can you keep him in there?
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you I don't know if you bring pressure to do that or if you just coach the defensive buttons up differently, but.
Speaker 2: To do it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get you. Was that related to what I was talking about it, I said Toothless big album.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about the damn I would think I was thinking about a tomato, you know, with that tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's that's that's the high level thoughts on the offense. And I get you keep bringing this out and I want to bring this home. Tyrod Taylor is a better He's a better scrambler in the pocket.
Speaker 2: Because he scrambles to throw Jones scrambles to.
Speaker 1: Think there's something to that.
Speaker 4: So maybe a Jones deer in the head like Tyrod, Like nah, I am the head, like I can see everything, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see how he looks in game two because I always think backup quarterbacks look really good because this team doesn't have any film on him. Yeah and then but yeah, so I think that's the offense now. Defensively a little bit more fun to talk about. But they're not playing that great either, Yea, Fred, what do you see.
Speaker 5: Any wink morning Dale defense? I am afraid of. I respect Tribadeou. He loves playing us, him and little I don't know what kind of relationship they got, but it ain't good. Indeed, you got big Lawrence, Lawrence makes plays man that linebacking cool.
Speaker 2: I forgot the linebacker names. I can't pronounce it.
Speaker 3: Mcfatten forty one.
Speaker 1: And oh the other guy o O kareky Okay.
Speaker 5: He can flat out go get no. No, he's playing like a Pro Bowl this dude. I watched him send somebody to the hospital last week. I watched him get two sacks. I watched him run down. He'll smash and running, big, smashing wide receiver, chasing players, down force and fumbles.
Speaker 2: This guy is a hurricane.
Speaker 4: I watched that game too, and I was sitting there thinking about Fred because he mentioned him, and I'm like, who is this And they were.
Speaker 3: Saying he was elsewhere.
Speaker 4: He was the cult, so I'm like, and they were saying, he's a high number tackle guy for the Coat, So I'm like, wow. He said it was a great, great pickup by the Giants. But man, he made his presence known that night. I mean he was everywhere, gat every.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad you brought Okarek up because I think he's a guy that kind of encapsulates the defense in a nice way. And what I mean by that is like, he is a guy that is like high risk, high reward, and he is a guy that is big, he's fast, he's physical, all those things. But is he always in the right spot? Is he always doing what he's supposed to be. I don't know, but he shows him and makes plays, and I think that's what this defense is. It's like we are gonna boom a B. Yeah, we're reving the engine. We're going to get it and if we hit it, great, If we don't, it's gonna be a big play, and I think that's kind of what what that defense is. I'm glad you brought up Lawrence as well. Like that guy is an absolute bear.
Speaker 2: Got you got to double him. Bear, you got double him.
Speaker 1: At the point he is, like I watched, I would just watch all their pressures before the we started shooting. He is probably a probably counts for fifty percent of their pressures. Like, I'm not kidding, is this.
Speaker 2: Game it has to get I'm saying, is it a Nick gate Gay?
Speaker 4: He know these guys, he know what they do, he knows everything about him. Nick Gates Lawrence. Is that the matchup that changes this game?
Speaker 1: Because I was watching the Dallas game and he is literally forklifting that center, Yeah, into the quarterbacks lat It's a quick game, like up off your feet into the backfield. I'm like, that's a that's a pressure that's affecting the throw. And that happens all two days a time. They also got Williams, the other guy number ninety nine the defensive end there, They've they've got some talented pieces, But to me, Lawrence is one of the best defensive players in the division. Yeah, and you got to account for him in some way. And then Okaariki's obviously they got at the second level. They have some guys in the back end that are talented, but they're to me, they're leveraged so much like they're in these crazy man of man situations all out more. I know that they can't like show what they're gonna do. And just to kind of as a note against the bells, didn't pressure as much.
Speaker 4: And then they set the zone a couple of times running quarter Josh Allen at the quarterback position forces you out of man, and man forces you out of two.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: We want all eleven looking at the quarterback. That's why you gotta play off. So how how you see?
Speaker 4: I mean, if you had to just yes, what you think his approach would be with saying.
Speaker 5: Sama pocket pass, he getting out to him. They're gonna play man and.
Speaker 2: Man and hic go.
Speaker 4: The thing is, do we try to push the ball down in the field then, because that's what you need to do to back them mouth. Get into these guys quick, get them quick, slip screens, slants. You know some of the things I saw last week in the zone when we played Atlanta. But I was watching just how your boy digs got off early and I was watching them.
Speaker 3: He getting in the zones. They was tearing them.
Speaker 4: I mean, Diggs was just getting open every now and then in that zone, running slants and stuff. And that's the first thing he came to mind. I'm like, that's a different quarterback. He's a he's a threat differently when it comes to you know what I mean. So I'm like, how would you approach a guy like us, you know, like Sam in our office? And the first thing I thought about, I say, they're gonna be pressed. They're gonna press these guys that you got a guy in Banks who they who they're very confident in ye.
Speaker 3: I mean, he played Digs like no other. I mean he's a rookie.
Speaker 2: I'm literally bro.
Speaker 3: He was in his face.
Speaker 2: He was playing.
Speaker 4: And don't get me wrong, dig still had a game, but Diggs was catching everything against everybody else. It was hard against Banks, you know what I mean. And they had got another guy, Dorry Jackson.
Speaker 3: He showed up play some football.
Speaker 1: He flashed a couple time.
Speaker 4: He's healthy flop float or something like that. He flashed a couple of times. He played the slot corner. So they have guys that's that's okay. In the secondary, but I feel like we have enough receivers that can go to you know, I receive was told you know what in them last year too, so they remember us too well in that you know, in that group. I just want to I just want to know, and I was I was mainly wanted to come in and act. You do you see them changing that scheme up against us.
Speaker 2: Now they're gonna have to They're gonna press us.
Speaker 3: They got you.
Speaker 4: They're gonna make only from the pockets only, and they gonna go plus one a plush two to the blitz.
Speaker 2: And this is why the screen game come in.
Speaker 5: They quick screen with the wire receiver, with running back screens, anything to get them going sideways.
Speaker 4: That they were showing little stunts here and there when they was bringing your boy mcfatten, but then they were dropping the end and yeah, so it look like he was bringing five or six, but it's still only bringing four and just dropping.
Speaker 2: Throw it hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And this team or whatever it's worth, it's struggled with simulated pressure Sam specifically, right, And I think this is gonna be a big kind of mental lift for Sam Howe because it's like, are you getting actual pressure? Am I hot? Does the ball need to be out. Am I accelerating my process unnecessarily. That's what this wing Martin Dell defense does because it's it's very you think it's varied, and like when you watch the San Francisco game, Sorry Tannel, real quick is they won that game because rock Perty is able to identify what's happening and get the ball ball out correct and it's not even like it's like not even like short stuff. It's like there was a touchdown that they threw where it's like a deep corner and he just loses ground delivers the ball and then that's how you get him out of that stuff. And you can hit it, but you gotta be brave and patient.
Speaker 4: And so my question is the reason why I trust me I'm watching Feminine. I'm asking the same question offensively as a coordinator, as a coach, what do you do to make him to allow him to think less? Because you see it already, you know that that's how he's gonna come. He's gonna he's gonna want your you're a young quarterback to think and he already sees when he's thinking, when he giving up sacks.
Speaker 3: You know every time he don't.
Speaker 4: See that first read, second read, he go to patting that ball, he's not he's hesitant to take off and run. So how do we make him think less? Put him on, put him on the run, move the pocket, things like that, you boot you quarterback rago. These plays are set to get the ball out. When you you gotta get the ball, I think I or you have guys in that lane. And when get it to and we established the run, then it opens up play action.
Speaker 2: Play action.
Speaker 5: The ball has to get out of your hand after the fake, after their foot hits that their backfoot hit the ground, you gotta let the ball go. So how about we men of fitt, this is when you let the ball out instead of letting him figure it out from the pocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean for me, if I was like thinking the tools that we've used or Kyle's given us or Sean we were here Jay, to a certain extent, it's like use Kayden's quite a bit because like if I can identify where guys are dropping out, who's coming in using motion, Like identifying man coverage versus his own coverage is a pretty big tell for when they're bringing pressure and they're not. Like those are things I know people do yeah, yeah, but I would say cadence would be one that I would like to see more of, Right, can you use more cadence to get them to tip rotation, to get them to tip who's coming, who's dropping out, identify the mic correctly. That's stuff that I think like when we played with Kirker, when I played with the Shawn, or when I play with Matt Ryan, They're constantly doing those little things to find the correct solution. So I think that obviously offensively to handle the blitz. Defensively got to handle just can you get home?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: That's what it comes down to yourself, all right. But as you always say, Tanna, this could be a banana in the tail pipe game. Could be a bana the tail pipe game.
Speaker 4: I like to dedicate this this segment to my dad. He always told me, don't fall for the banana. Mouse Mos said, Yo, you know what, and I ain't gonna say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, between the last.
Speaker 2: You got to watch this.
Speaker 3: Cutting me out already.
Speaker 1: All right. So they do have some playmakers. We've talked about some of them already. Let's start on the oppotion, the side of the ball they got in terms of banana tailpipe. Yeah, Darren Waller very talented. He's not playing as well. But I think it's hard. You said this standard like not quite.
Speaker 4: Don't look comfortable. It looks like a guy. And this is one of the things I've always told folks. People be coot to say the grass is greener, go elsewhere. Always was hesitant because you can be putting up numbers, comfortable, got the right offense around you, right coaching style, right quarterback. Then you go elsewhere for the money, and it's just not hitting. You're not hitting on all cylinders. You're still trying to get, you know, used to what you see. And that's what I see from theren on. I'm watching them week after week, like when is he gonna be the guy?
Speaker 3: But he is the guy.
Speaker 4: He came in as the guy, and certain guys play better when than not the guy. Yeah, when I'm the second or third guy, he's number one. Right now, they try to run the offense through the tight end and then to get to everybody else, and they can't do it.
Speaker 3: It's not ready for the challenge.
Speaker 5: And I know exactly what you're talking about. I am a test subject to that. I left here and went to Minnesota and just did not like it. I wasn't comfortable they wanted me to play cover two. I'm a man corner.
Speaker 4: Just so many things, so the grass ain't always green on absolutely so.
Speaker 1: But he's a guy that's very very talented. I think, you know, we show we've shown over the course of this season so far that like we match up, We've been matching up okay with tight ends, you know, specifically coll Pits. Even though he had a good game, like wasn't super productive. I think we've got pieces that can match up with him. But yeah, he's a guy that's very talented. You mentioned Wandel Robinson, like that dude is.
Speaker 2: He's in a different He's a handful.
Speaker 1: In a different offense. You're talking about him maybe being like, you know, one of the most effective offensive weapons.
Speaker 3: Like he's mind me and right now the kid out that that that you got.
Speaker 4: In Detroit, Yeah, has that same kind had that same like you watch him who stops and Noll crosses and getting getting right now, right now. Every time he got the ball, C two split him, you know what I mean, he was getting that ball and he didn't do no moves straight up field four five, six, seven yards like and to be a small guy like he.
Speaker 2: Look like Steve Smith.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: He's seventy smaller than me, you know what I mean. And you ain't tall, but you ain't cockier than most men. That's what I'm saying. Most guys play my position. I'm way more stout than those guys. And he's not as big as me, you know what i mean. He remind me of a build for the kid who was there did the saucer. Oh, Victor Cruise, Victor Cruish, but a little shorter. So he's you know, he looks a little you know, he looks a little more compact because he's shorter. Yeah, well, no he's not. He's not up there with our weight. He probably in a one hundred and seventy.
Speaker 1: Some pounds pound.
Speaker 3: See, I'm we was one eighty one nineties, you know what I mean. Trust me.
Speaker 1: So, but they do have weapons. Slaton's another guy you mentioned Hyatt. They do have explosive weapons. But again I go back to this idea that.
Speaker 4: You can't get it to him because of the office quiet I mean too, you know, they still trying to find a way to get hired active, you know what I mean, get them involved, and they bring them in and try to hit the same week.
Speaker 3: This is the week.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Saying, not to say that, I'm saying that I would want to see that, But that's how.
Speaker 4: They're thinking, Like this is the time, you know, when you put stuff on film, all we can do is see if you're gonna correct yourself.
Speaker 3: And we've put it on tape.
Speaker 4: We've showed time and time again that we're gonna, you know, get a guy too behind us. So we have to be mindful that these guys are watching what we put on tape and they gonna come at those, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so that's those are the guys offensive he Saquon Barkley is another guy, very productive in the Bills game, but before that long run in the fourth quarter if I remember correctly, averaging one point two yards of rush. So he's a talented player behind a bat offense.
Speaker 2: It ain't him, No, it's five guys in front.
Speaker 1: Of I don't think anyone's saying it's him.
Speaker 4: That Sa Kwan basically was stopped in the backfield and got four or five it. So it's like, you know, don't let him feel constable enough that he can have one.
Speaker 1: But he always has. He always has big games against US. I think his last two hundred yard games were against the Commanders.
Speaker 4: Shut him down in that first game. The game he's heads up and down down game.
Speaker 1: Yes, so what is it? It says first time in Giants lost the game, Barkley had twenty two or more carries despite missing half the six game did okay? Barkley's two biggest rushing games in his career have both come versus Washington career high one hundred and eighty nine yards Week fifteen, twenty nineteen, and back week twenty thirteen or Week thirteen of twenty eighteen, he rushed around to seven yeards. So guys, that's what I meant. He has. His two biggest productions came against US. But again, with a bad offensive line, you can't do anything.
Speaker 5: So I'm sorry. That's why I didn't play offense. It depends on too many people to do food to come right.
Speaker 1: It's the ultimate team space.
Speaker 4: I like to control my own destiny, and on offense, I could be the best wide receiver in the NFL, but if my offensive lining blocking from my quarterback, I have no chance to succeed.
Speaker 1: So so what I'd say then? Okay, So that's that's there them on the U on the offensive side of the ball, very very talented, you know, maybe not a true number one receiver, but got some pieces pieces. And you know, that's an interesting kind of thought experiment, is when you look at early last year they found creative ways to get saquon the ball in space like screens, bubbles, you know, as the wildcat guy, and you know, maybe they can do something like that to kind of spark the offense, open it up a little bit, create some space for dayl Aaron Waller. But they're gonna have to be really creative to get that done, I guess. Is the thing I'd say is like beware of the bana and the tailpipe. Have talented people. They have shown they can do it with not a great offensive line, but again not very likely defensively. Kevon Thibodeau. We mentioned Bobby Okareiki, we mentioned der Lawrence. Very talented people, but you know, I think you got to kind of just be aware of what they're breaking.
Speaker 2: Put a banana in the tailpipe, why not a pumpkin? Like pumpkins are useless.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't fit in the tailpipe. I don't think they cut it up and put it in there this guy.
Speaker 2: I love bananas. I don't think we should ruin bananas by putting in the pipe.
Speaker 1: So do you are you worried about this defense at all? Friend? I am, but not because of the personnel. You're worried about the coordinator.
Speaker 5: I'm worried about coordinator meets personnel, Like this is what I'm worried about. Like, if they gonna stay in this game with us, it's gonna be because of the defense, not because of the office.
Speaker 4: They going to hit to the office, protect the ball. If we're gonna try to get y'all a short feel, make the play when we present it. I'm afraid of this defense. I think this defense is a lot better than they.
Speaker 2: Are on paper.
Speaker 5: I think they play at a high level, especially when they play against us. But I can't put any I can't judge the past because Sam High would not quarter.
Speaker 4: They say Sam was our quarterback and Eb wasn't our quarter OC.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I'm a little scared of this of what the Giants defense may present us. Just from seeing them over the years, I think coming into this game, they do have us nice what six weeks of film to watch and say, Okay, this is what they've been doing. But I do also believe also the playbooks so big, we still haven't tapped into where we can go and getting so much you know what I mean, so much more stuff that he's probably installing this week because it's a different opponent, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it's a guy we're gonna see twice too.
Speaker 4: So that's the one thing that gives me a breath of fresh air to say, hey, at least we have something going for us when it comes to new OC, new quarterback and Sam one of those guys like you mess around and try to blitz or not. And he see Terry out there one on one with Press Cottage, he gonna tie you.
Speaker 5: He gonna tell maybe it's a Logan game because if you don't blitz, is uli your linebacker's blitzing.
Speaker 2: So now the tight end thing's.
Speaker 5: Matched up matchups with safeties, and we know Logan is huge, his catch ratings is huge. So I'm thinking the only way to stop them from blitzing is to go to the tight end early enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, like they're the twenty eight, they're like not a good defense. They're like twenty seventh in total defense. Right, they're thirty first against the rush, they're sixteenth against the pass. To give you some context on those numbers as fans, Right, they're thirty first in the league versus rushing because they've been playing from behind the quibbit, right, so like teams are gonna run the ball more. Also, I think they've played some teams that are really dynamic offenses. Right, they played buff played Buffalo Miami, They've played the forty nine ers, right, maybe one of the best teams in football. So I do think this defense is probably better than what the numbers are on paper because they've got they've had better competition. But again, it's to me, this is the side of the football that is more scary, to your point, Fred, Like, it's because they've got some dynamic playmakers and they also it's there's a it's risk reward and he's basically gambling every time he blitzes. And we've seen that Sam in certain situations has a hard time with the stuff that this defense right, right, right, right, So that being said, all this conversation going on, Yeah, I feel like we're getting a little tired.
Speaker 2: No I'm not.
Speaker 1: You're good, all right? Is this chilli in here, but I kind of like it. This is my time.
Speaker 2: You give me a piece of pumpkin.
Speaker 1: You don't like pumpkin? What are you talking about? All right? So where are the commander's advantages in this game? Okay? So what we're gonna do for this is we're gonna say we're going to New York. We're excited. New York lights, Broadway lights. Yeah, what name of what player would you like to see up there in those lights? Is the guy that takes over the game or has the biggest advantage in this game? I say, okay, why.
Speaker 4: Just he's been disrupted all year long. Don't matter who you have. And when you're facing against a team, when two of your guards are giving up five sacks apiece and they're tied for first and second in the league, this is a game where you might see the Ron Pain or Johnathan Allen our interior really have a chance to really, you know, make some noise. You know this this is one of those games when you have a guy like Daniel Dredis, Daniel Jones or Tyrod Taylor.
Speaker 3: I want to see them.
Speaker 4: I want to see that pocket collapse, but I want to see the inside. I want to see these guys make it hard for the quarterback to step up because now if he's trying to get outside, you got those guys who can run, those guys with the long ums that can you know, grab him and hold him down. So dron pain. This is one of those games that I want to see him in the lights.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he'll be up against Marcus McKeith, who's a second year player out in Carolina. He was undrafted, big guy, physical guy, but again, like just the experienced the explosiveness of pain. He should be getting after that. And he's also the backup.
Speaker 4: See Johann John dots yohar, I see Dots. We all wait on the game from him, waiting on debt game. I think this is debt game for him.
Speaker 2: I think back home, back home.
Speaker 4: So I just think it's deck game for him, and not just catching balls.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about yeck yards. I'm talking about targets.
Speaker 4: I think coach bing is gonna say, you know what, let me let me target him man times.
Speaker 2: I gotta get his comforty is going. I got to get him going.
Speaker 5: And if they don't blitz a lot, the here's gonna be a lot of one on ones out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think with his right running skills, he ain't the one you want to see in one on one.
Speaker 2: I think he wins it battle.
Speaker 1: Yep. It looks like he's been, you know, watching filming a little bit of a funk. Hopefully this is an opportunity for him to get out of that. You mentioned the right running. He's had productive games up there in the past last year. I think, yeah, he did to spend more. I think it's his game. Yeah. I hope so, man, because it'd be great if he could kind of come to life or imagine what that would do for this offense would be great. And for me, I'm gonna go someone who doesn't get their name in the lights very often, and that's Snick Gates. And it's only because of the matchup with Dextra Lawrence, like he is the most strophic. But you you didn't take it though.
Speaker 2: I see Gates versus Lawrench.
Speaker 1: But you could have said that now.
Speaker 2: Versus Loan.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll pick a different one Freda though, but Nick Gay versus Lawrence because I think he's the most disruptive weapon on the defense right and and you got to manage that. And so Nick Gates is gonna line up, head up with him a lot. He's obviously gonna get help from Sam, Cosmy, Sadik, Charles. They're all gonna have to work together to get that done. But I think if you can keep him quiet, that defense becomes a little bit more newter. That's better for us. But because I sold freds, you're gonna go in a different direction, and that's Sam Howe, because it's really Sam Howe versus Wink Martindale. And if Sam has a good game and we're getting his name up in the marquee, it's because he's identified pressure as well. He's gotten the ball out of his hands quickly. He's not taking a lot of sacks. And again that starts in the week that starts on Wednesday, with the first practice. That starts with you be getting him ready. All those things definitely kind of compile to make that done. So it's a team effort for sure. But if his name's up there, we're probably winning this football game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right about that?
Speaker 1: I agree with all Right, So now it's time for everyone's favorite part of the show.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: If you have to guess, what do you think it is?
Speaker 2: Fred Smooth Live.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the whole show, all right, I mean talk about a guy whos just full of himself.
Speaker 2: Somebody gotta be it's.
Speaker 1: Game predictions, game predictions.
Speaker 2: So and you pick gets the team like three times this year?
Speaker 1: I just I think only once, actually twice.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be real.
Speaker 1: So Danna so game score and we're doing this on Wednesday, guys, so sometimes we're a little bit off in terms of field. Got a better fiel, Yeah, a little a little over eager, right, So Tanna what you got.
Speaker 4: I just feel like somewhere around in the twenty four seventeen, I'm not gonna stamp who's the one out of that I didn't.
Speaker 3: Do it last?
Speaker 1: I know you didn't and it's a good luck.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna leave it up there like that. I mean work, No, Honestly.
Speaker 4: The reason why I say that because, like I said before, I'm we are the company man. We could sit here and say Command win every week. Is the team that we've had problems with one percent. So these guys have to show this another week. They have to go out there and show me who you are and beat their chest a little big and show me that they really who they say they are. You know what I mean, I feel like we're capable of beating any anybody. I'm always ride with us. Yeah, just know that my heart is always going to bleed what they bleed. But I ain't from Missouri, but they got to show me.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you brought that up because one of the things about this team it's been since I've covered the team is they tend to be a little up and down depending on the opponent. Can they be up for a team that they are better than. Can they play better than the correct as opposed to kind of this up ebb and flow that's stepping up and down. Can they approach this week with the same focus they had last week? And I think if they can, they should win this game. There are more talented roster top to bottom, right are the Giants and NFL football team? Is this going to be a tough game? Do we have tough matchups with them? One percent? But top to bottom we're better. We should win. Yeah, if we're prepped and ready to go up properly. Yeah. So what's your What my score is? I like your score a lot, Tanner, but I don't want to steal your score, So I'm gonna say still all the time. I'm gonna say twenty twenty three, twenty three to fourteen, I think is what I'm gonna say. I think this defense is gonna be at all. It's different. Price is right, A little bit right, yeah, a little under. I like to score. I didn't want to take it exactly. So I think it's gonna be a to score game.
Speaker 5: Feeling the energy in the building this week, it don't feel like the players are patting themself on the back from the Atlanta win.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that like that. I enjoyed that.
Speaker 4: And it's like they got their focus here of this the team that stopped us from going to the playoffs last year.
Speaker 2: This is the team we had to beat twice.
Speaker 1: You should be given the pregame speech. Man, I'm getting excited this listening.
Speaker 5: We have to understand we need to make a we need to send a message with this game.
Speaker 2: Like so, I'm going to go thirty to fifteen. Now.
Speaker 4: To get that fifteen, we probably got to give up a safety. I'm fired, probably gonna beat triple though getting the safe. But what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Is thirty to fifteen, decisive win.
Speaker 2: Lead from the door.
Speaker 5: They're behind most of the game playing ketchup with a quarterback Tyrod Taylor Daniel Jones. The secondary shows up again takes the battle away three times.
Speaker 1: If this, if the Commanders get out to a little bit of a lead, the Giants are gonna have a really.
Speaker 2: Hard time kitchen. Yeah, but they're not built to catch up.
Speaker 1: But if the game flow stays even, yeah, it's kind of like Atlanta. If the game flows even, they're gonna be at the entire time a spark.
Speaker 3: Somebody got to make a play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but hey, that was a really nice really I liked. I was fired up about already.
Speaker 2: I mean, fifteen, that's well man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so obviously we're hoping for a win. But you know, it's the New York Giants, so you never know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yep, But I know why the Giants and name the Giants? No, you go, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I thought it was just kinda people like, kind of a cool his.
Speaker 2: Name for the giant buildings, the skyscrapers.
Speaker 1: Tanna leave me out, Jason? You got your phone with him? Ya got? There are certain things that I cannot tolerate, And I don't know if that's complete. Who were.
Speaker 3: Ready to New York Giants get their name from here we go.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think the mobile working.
Speaker 1: Syriah was like, no, thank you, hold on, gave it to me, just.
Speaker 3: Put it up.
Speaker 5: I have no solid gave y'all gotta understand, man, it's for the Giant Buildings, all right?
Speaker 1: What we got ten?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Nobody can find it.
Speaker 4: The team was named after the National League Baseball Giants, who were a long time favorite of the New York At the time, baseball was the keen professional sports, so owner Tim Marrow wanted the same name recognition and hopes that fans.
Speaker 3: Would support their clubs.
Speaker 1: Oh that's around. If you like this show, make sure you like to subscribe Freddy, you're such a liar Giant Buildings. If you guys like this podcast, make sure you check out our podcast network with Get Loud as one of our favorite programs with Fred. What are you talking about this week? Fred?
Speaker 2: Everything?
Speaker 1: Everything? Yeah, last week was bubbles. Whatever it is this week we'll figure it out. Next Man Up is another podcast where he gets inside access with this guy. This week it's Shamon Davis gets to know the man behind the helmet. Love that show players Club Tanna. That's one of your favorites you got this week? Oh, that'll be awesome man. He's playing awesome man. I can't wait to hear what that's all about. And we got our command Center special from New York be Mitch and Santana in New York breaking down the game. Tanna, what are you gonna be doing up.
Speaker 3: There New York City? Your dreams is?
Speaker 5: It always makes you check them all out, bod Drop, Float Rattle.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.